6.5

1. Dec 5, 2011
    Giving it a 0 because Bethesda released a broken game on the Sony platform and appears to have gave little effort in optimizing their "NEW" engine on the PS3. Seems to me that it's the same old engine with no optimizations for the PS3's architecture and they released a broken game with issues that are so blatantly obvious that you have to wonder how these issues got past testing.
  2. Dec 5, 2011
    Last night I started experiencing the game-breaking lag that everyone's talking about. I was concerned but assumed the lag would be fixed, until I read that one of Obsidian's director's comments that confirms the lag is an innate flaw and would require a "large time commitment" to fix. To me, this means that this game simply cannot be fixed within a reasonable budget or timeframe.

I

I gave the review 1 star because this problem is nothing short of a show stopper. The game itself is fun, engrossing and innovative, but all accolades pale in the light that the game will simply stop working after a short period of time. For me, this short period of time was 37 hours of gameplay; given the hundreds of hours of potential gameplay, no amount of "fun" will make up for that loss.
  3. Dec 5, 2011
    I've been looking forward to this since finishing Oblivion. Imagine my disappointment when, after sinking all too many hours into creating a character, dragons start to fly backwards and become un-killable, quest dialogues vanish, and the frame rate slows to ridiculousness. The game is broken - a tragedy, as it has great potential. The response from Bethesda is to go back to an earlierI've been looking forward to this since finishing Oblivion. Imagine my disappointment when, after sinking all too many hours into creating a character, dragons start to fly backwards and become un-killable, quest dialogues vanish, and the frame rate slows to ridiculousness. The game is broken - a tragedy, as it has great potential. The response from Bethesda is to go back to an earlier save - i do not have the inclination to repeat story lines however. At the moment, I have a £40 shiny piece of useless plastic sitting on my PS3. Very disappointed. Expand
  4. Dec 5, 2011
    I will get right to the point. Skyrim was an amazing game for the 20 hours or so I played when I first bought it brand new on the day of release. The game started without a hitch. No lag, no broken quests then as soon as my file size reached 6 MB it all went to hell. While walking around town, I noticed my screen freezing and struggling to show my character and the surroundings. RestartingI will get right to the point. Skyrim was an amazing game for the 20 hours or so I played when I first bought it brand new on the day of release. The game started without a hitch. No lag, no broken quests then as soon as my file size reached 6 MB it all went to hell. While walking around town, I noticed my screen freezing and struggling to show my character and the surroundings. Restarting the game was my only option. Which fixed the problem temporarily. Things got progressively worse after 6 MB. My save file is currently at 12 MB and it lags as though I were playing some sort of MMO with max settings and a dial-up connection. Funny considering Skyrim is a single player game with no options to play online. To top it all off, a lot more quests seem to be glitching for no reason. Although you are able to fix some of the glitches by reloading a previous save file there is no guarantee that the glitch will not happen again. Now I am lucky if I can get 2 hours of gameplay without having to restart.

The patch that Bethesda released to fix the lag issue 17 days after the game came out has made things worse than before if you can believe it. It did not address the lag issue at all and made some of the npc's unresponsive during main quests. Bethesda probably already knew about the issue, but decided to mass produce the game and sell it to millions of people world wide. Avoid this game unless you enjoy getting angry and throwing away your money.
  5. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is unfinished and now it's unplayable. I feel cheated for buying a sub-par product. The constants frame rate drops and the freezes rendered this game unplayable. If someday Bethesda fix this, I'll give it a better rating.
  6. Dec 11, 2011
    There is just one thing you need to know, and that is DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR THE PS3!!! There is a game-breaking bug where once you reach around 6mb in your save file, the frame rate becomes so bad that it is literally unplayable. What should have been an utterly enjoyable piece of gaming heaven becomes a downright unplayable piece of garbage. Your best bet is to wait until this problemThere is just one thing you need to know, and that is DO NOT BUY THIS GAME FOR THE PS3!!! There is a game-breaking bug where once you reach around 6mb in your save file, the frame rate becomes so bad that it is literally unplayable. What should have been an utterly enjoyable piece of gaming heaven becomes a downright unplayable piece of garbage. Your best bet is to wait until this problem is fixed, though it's doubtful that it ever will. The fact that the game was released in this state is absolutely appalling. Surely Bethesda would've known about this bug, but they just decided to release it anyway and screw over the Ps3 users. This was a total waste of $60. The biggest disappointment of the year. Expand
  7. Dec 5, 2011
    The game is unplayable. Constant bugs and repeat crashes. It's sad the gaming industry and community have allowed this become an acceptable practice. this game will surely pick up Game of the Year awards by sites who have been paid off in advertising dollars.
  8. Dec 9, 2011
    First things first: The game itself is brilliant. Unfortunately not on Ps3 though. While some may argue whether or not you can rate a game 0 when the first 50 hours were awesome, or if you should take into account THAT you were able to play it for 50 hours whereas other games don't even last as long, it simply and ultimately comes down to the fact that this is a faulty product and does notFirst things first: The game itself is brilliant. Unfortunately not on Ps3 though. While some may argue whether or not you can rate a game 0 when the first 50 hours were awesome, or if you should take into account THAT you were able to play it for 50 hours whereas other games don't even last as long, it simply and ultimately comes down to the fact that this is a faulty product and does not deliver what the company promised. As Ps3 users we are more or less used to get the bad ports and with Skyrim it is no different. The graphics and general performance is the worst out of the 3 platforms, but that's not really an issue. Skyrim is still a good looking game, even gorgeos at times. And while it has some annoying yet bearable drops in framerate every now and then, the biggest game breaker is the massive 'lag' or stuttering that people are most likely to experience at some point. Imagine it to run with 0-5 frames per second. Since the latest update, a lot of other issues have arisen too. First and foremost the freezes which lock up your Ps3 and will eventually corrupt your hard drive. Add in occasionally broken main quests which prevent you from completing the game, a lot (read: a LOT) of other bugs and Bethesda's track record of how they dealt with bugs in previous games for Ps3, shake the whole thing and decide on your own if you really want to try the nicely looking yet somehow fishy smelling result. My advice: Don't. Just don't. You might get sick. Now, if you think we're just trolls, there's an easy way to find out. Just take a look to the right and read the official review from PSOM UK, or hit up youtube and type in "Skyrim Ps3 lag", check IGN who are currently investigating, go to the official Bethesda forums, heck, inform yourself any way you like, but don't believe those who gave the game a perfect 10 to know about ANYTHING. We are just here to warn you. *** Rated 0 because the game is fundamentally broken on Ps3. ***

PS: You're probably confused because people are telling different save file sizes at which the lag begins. That's because it's not directly related to the size nor to the hours spent. It's related to how much you've done in the game. The engine keeps track of everything you do and since everyone plays at their own pace, it greatly varies for everyone when the stuttering will finally occur. Come to the official forums if you want to know more.
  9. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is completely broken on the ps3. The game will slowly wither away the more you play it, until it becomes absolutely unplayable. The lag starts around the 30 hour mark and gets progressively worse. If you must have this game, wait until it's patched and buy it used. Do not support faulty products.
  10. Dec 6, 2011
    The only reason I gave this a one is because I love the story and the lore. I wanted to give this game a higher score, but the state of the PS3 version is disappointing and completely unacceptable. I did not expect to be playing a $60 slideshow with music. I understand that the PS3 is a harder platform to develop for and a completely bug free game is pretty much impossible, but thatThe only reason I gave this a one is because I love the story and the lore. I wanted to give this game a higher score, but the state of the PS3 version is disappointing and completely unacceptable. I did not expect to be playing a $60 slideshow with music. I understand that the PS3 is a harder platform to develop for and a completely bug free game is pretty much impossible, but that doesn't mean you release a game that has this type of game breaking bug. Frankly, I feel like I've been ripped off. Expand
  11. Dec 5, 2011
    I love this game, it had all that it takes to be GOTY, except that it does not work on the ps3. The lag and the crashes, with a bit of broken main quests sprinkled on top makes this the most frustrating expirience in all my years of ps3 gaming. Get this game on the xbox, avoid the ps3 version like the plague. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME!
  12. Dec 5, 2011
    Broken game, don't buy it. Bethesda knew the game wasn't going to work when they released it. People have reported this game burning out their ps3.
  13. Dec 5, 2011
    BROKEN DO NOT BUY DO NOT SUPPORT THIS DEVELOPER UNTIL THEY CLEAN UP THElR MESS. The game becomes an unplayable mess after about 60hr of play which is unforgivable in a game this huge. don't make the same mistake hundreds of thousands have made, do not buy this game.
  14. Dec 7, 2011
    Part 1: A definite 'buy' If you want to amuse your friends with Dragons that fly spastically backwards, Weapon racks that fail to activate (oh hold on... that is Whiterun only... my Windhelm one activates and places the weapons 'through' the wall), Mannequins that have their assorted body parts that vanish when adding your armor for display, Book shelves that no longer activate to holdPart 1: A definite 'buy' If you want to amuse your friends with Dragons that fly spastically backwards, Weapon racks that fail to activate (oh hold on... that is Whiterun only... my Windhelm one activates and places the weapons 'through' the wall), Mannequins that have their assorted body parts that vanish when adding your armor for display, Book shelves that no longer activate to hold books and of course my favorite... LAGGGGGGGGGGGG. Expand
  15. Dec 8, 2011
  16. Dec 5, 2011
    AVOID UNTIL FIXED!! Too many bugs and game breaking issues (at Dec '11). Shame because it would be awesome if it worked :-( Hoping for a fix otherwise £40 down the drain...
  17. Dec 5, 2011
    this game is broken... it lags and un-playable after all the effort i i put into it... i cant beleive they would let this happen... dont expect much this game is prolly worth 20 bucks tops... and thats being generous. dont buy it new, or youu will be sorry you gave the company that ripped you off thier money.
  18. Dec 5, 2011
    It's a good game, but it's full of bugs and glitches on PS3. Broken quests, lag problems, inconsistencies, and much more. Moreover the core engine hasn't changes so much since the previous Elder's Scrolls, which is a game of several years ago. I expected more from Skyrim. Again, could still be fun, if and when they patch it.
  19. Dec 5, 2011
    Would have given this a 9...if I could play it. I can't even have the game on for 20 minutes with it crashing or stuttering. On top of the fact that it doesn't work, I bought the Collector's Edition for $150, so that's a bunch of cash down the toilet. Can't even return it because I don't have the massive 2.5' x 2.5' cardboard box the game came in any more. On the other hand, it makes aWould have given this a 9...if I could play it. I can't even have the game on for 20 minutes with it crashing or stuttering. On top of the fact that it doesn't work, I bought the Collector's Edition for $150, so that's a bunch of cash down the toilet. Can't even return it because I don't have the massive 2.5' x 2.5' cardboard box the game came in any more. On the other hand, it makes a fantastic cup coaster, especially with the Collector's edition's thick case. Expand
  20. Dec 10, 2011
    Well my game till patch 1.2 was so good,but that patch was a disaster.Skyrim freezing all the time,it's unplayable anymore.Lag was heavy sometimes but never freezing before the patch,i don't know what to do about it.Tips didn't help,swaping disks either...Skyrim takes a 0 from me.
  21. Dec 11, 2011
    The game started without a hitch. No lag, no broken quests then as soon as my file size reached 6 MB it all went to hell. While walking around town, I noticed my screen freezing and struggling to show my character and the surroundings. Restarting the game was my only option. Which fixed the problem temporarily. Things got progressively worse after 6 MB. My save file is currently at 12 MBThe game started without a hitch. No lag, no broken quests then as soon as my file size reached 6 MB it all went to hell. While walking around town, I noticed my screen freezing and struggling to show my character and the surroundings. Restarting the game was my only option. Which fixed the problem temporarily. Things got progressively worse after 6 MB. My save file is currently at 12 MB and it lags as hell.. Expand
  22. Dec 13, 2011
    PROS: everything that isn't broken is superbly crafted. The main storyline, the side quests, the UI, even the simplistic combat--which if described to me, I would surely assume to be jejune and not worth my time--is actually very satisfying. Bethesda gets a standing ovation. With the exception of maybe Red Dead, I've never been so engrossed in the fixed narrative of an open-world game.PROS: everything that isn't broken is superbly crafted. The main storyline, the side quests, the UI, even the simplistic combat--which if described to me, I would surely assume to be jejune and not worth my time--is actually very satisfying. Bethesda gets a standing ovation. With the exception of maybe Red Dead, I've never been so engrossed in the fixed narrative of an open-world game. Usually I have to be stripped of freedom to enjoy a well-crafted story (e.g. uncharted) but Bethesda gives you the best of both worlds. Bravo! Definitely worth full-price...but with an asterisk* *CONS: the game is broken. I got to 6MB bug free. More frequent bugs after 8MB and ater 11MB, it became unplayable. If you play games for the story (whether crafted by you in an open-world or supplied by a fixed narrative) you won't be able to finish this game and enjoy the fruits of your labor. I've wasted at least 3 hours replaying parts due to crashes/freezes and another 1-2 hrs due to retarded frame-rates (literally retarded not the juvenile malapropism). What makes this more frustrating is that to fix the frame rate issues, it's recommended that you disable auto-saves. So my choices are either unplayable frame-rates or constant disruptive manual saves multiple times an hour, or replaying 30-60min sections due to crashes. I only have 45-90min every evening to either watch TV, surf the net or play games. To have the majority of that time be wasted is quite frustrating. What's that Einstein quotation about insanity? Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different results? Yeah... this game made me crazy. But I'm afraid I have to return to the world of the sane; I sadly won't be able to finish this fantastic game. Maybe in a few years, I'll pick up the GOTY edition for 20 bucks used and finish it but right now, I can't imagine anyone with a career, family-- your every day person with a life--being able to deal with the game-breaking technological deficiencies. RECOMMENDATION: buy it for the PC if you are lucky to have the specs to play it. DO NOT BUY on PS3 unless you are un(der)employed, sick and quarantined with nothing to do, or are on an extended vacation that you'd like to spend replaying sections of a game but never finishing. For those who want numbered scores: without game-breaking bugs: 10/10. With bugs: 0/10. Since the PS3 has bugs...I sadly have to give it a zero as I've wasted about 30hrs... Expand
  23. Dec 12, 2011
    I'm sorry and I truly hate to do this. This was one of the best games I've truly ever played until everything fell apart before my very eyes. My first 50 hours or so were some of the most complete bliss I've ever had playing a game, but then it started to get worse and worse on my system. Also yeah, the update made my game worse... I can't believe how awfully this was handled, it'sI'm sorry and I truly hate to do this. This was one of the best games I've truly ever played until everything fell apart before my very eyes. My first 50 hours or so were some of the most complete bliss I've ever had playing a game, but then it started to get worse and worse on my system. Also yeah, the update made my game worse... I can't believe how awfully this was handled, it's embarrassing honestly. Don't buy this game for PS3 or for any system honestly. Don't support them for making products with this kind of complete lack of care. I want my money back honestly... Expand
  24. Dec 12, 2011
    The lack of acknowledgement by so many reviewers about how broken this game is for some people on PS3 only makes the fact that it is unplayable a bit curious about what happened with the PS3 version.Visit Beth forums and you will see why so many users here give it a zero.I will give it a zero too.The truth is not in the professional reviews,it's here and in the forums...
  25. Dec 5, 2011
    The game itself would be fun, but the massive overdose of glitches make it practically unplayable. In my time playing it the sound went out, it would freeze up, a dragon actually flew around backwards in a circle and away from me when I'd try to attack it and the framerate was atrocious.
  26. Dec 5, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME This game is broken,There is lag,there is lag and more lag.Lag,bugs and freezes.Dragons going back wards and patches do not work.
  27. Dec 5, 2011
    This is a strong contender for game of the year if you own it on Xbox or PC but in it's current form on the PS3 Skyrim is a waste of money. Slowly but with grinding, headache-inducing inevitability, the PS3 version slows down until it becomes a slide-show with frequent episodic freezes and even crashes. Unfortunately, these problems aren't very evident in the early hours, leading playersThis is a strong contender for game of the year if you own it on Xbox or PC but in it's current form on the PS3 Skyrim is a waste of money. Slowly but with grinding, headache-inducing inevitability, the PS3 version slows down until it becomes a slide-show with frequent episodic freezes and even crashes. Unfortunately, these problems aren't very evident in the early hours, leading players to put in a lot of wasted time on a game they will wish they never started or had purchased for another platform. Sure I could re-buy it for PC or Xbox and recieve a playable version, however I don't want to pay twice just to own the game I should have received in the first place and I don't want to replay all those early hours. Should never have been released in this state. Expand
  28. Dec 5, 2011
    Bethesda has once again decided to release an unfinished game and use PS3 users as pseudo beta-testers. This could be their biggest blunder yet. This game suffers from severe memory leaks that eventually cause the game to be unplayable. This is highly unacceptable behavior from any company and is borderline fraudulent. They hint vaguely about fixing things, but do not communicate with theBethesda has once again decided to release an unfinished game and use PS3 users as pseudo beta-testers. This could be their biggest blunder yet. This game suffers from severe memory leaks that eventually cause the game to be unplayable. This is highly unacceptable behavior from any company and is borderline fraudulent. They hint vaguely about fixing things, but do not communicate with the user base at all - even on their own forums! Avoid this game like the plague. Bethesda doesn't care about you, and you shouldn't care about their broken mess of a game. Expand
  29. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is just full of bugs.You cannot complete quests because there bugged.The framerate after your save file gets large makes the game unplayable.Yet another bugged released game by bugthesda.I got this one ps3 and would recommend that no one else buys this game.
  30. Dec 5, 2011
    One of the worst game release bugs I have ever seen with the PS3 framerate issues. I have lost complete faith in Bethesda. What a huge disappointment.
  31. Dec 5, 2011
    My score might surprise you? Don't get me wrong, the game is epic and what I did play was some of the best fun I've had all year so why the low score?

It's simple. The game is "broken". This isn't something Bethesda can fix either, only delay. It's like this: Basically the longer you play overall, the worst the framerates become. So say you have played the game for 40 hours, that's

Basically the longer you play overall, the worst the framerates become. So say you have played the game for 40 hours, that's enough time to have explored most of the major cities, done a few side quests etc What happens is that all those places you've visited, all those people you've helped, killed, talked to are all stored in your save file. This is how the engine that powers the game works and is why it cannot be fixed.

So what happens is when you've done all these things, your memory is taken up as soon as you load up the game and very little is left for the Playstation 3 system to process the things it is supposed to.

Thus the framerates get progressively worse the more you play it. The sad part is that Bethesda are aware of this and never once showed us PS3 footage of the game. They also claim they didn't know about this problem despite the fact it has shown up in their previous titles, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

They tricked many users by claiming the engine was remade but these symptons suggest they stuck with the Gamebryo style of game engine thus this problem remains.

So basically to sum this up. The product is broken and Bethesda can only delay the effects of the problem by lowering the graphics, disabling certain functions, deleting certain meshes. Soon DLC will be coming out and that will make it worse as it will add a new file called an .ESP which will contain new data, meshes, textures, sounds etc that will take up even more memory thus making the main game even worse.

I'm truly sad that Bethesda have done this and I will not be purchasing any future titles from them until they get their act together.
  32. Dec 6, 2011
    This review is for the PS3 version only, and I would strongly suggest that if you have the option, you purchase any other version of this game. The PS3 version is broken and we're waiting on a patch to fix a lag problem that makes the game unplayable after extended play.
  33. Dec 7, 2011
    All the potential in the world, virtually none of it delivers in its current state. The PS3 version of this is absolutely broken and Bethesda's handling of this issue is even worse. Now we know why no professional review companies were given a copy of PS3 pre-launch like Xbox and PC were and we also know why no PS3 game footage was shown prior to release. This game is abysmal.
  34. Dec 15, 2011
    I tried to play Skyrim at a leisurely pace and really explore it, but at 90 hours played and 13 mb save file the game is completely unplayable anymore, it starts lagging after 10 minutes and it freezes the whole console after 20, which cannot be good for the hardware either... I'm scared to touch it now, and I wish I had finished the main quest at least and been done with it. Do NOT buyI tried to play Skyrim at a leisurely pace and really explore it, but at 90 hours played and 13 mb save file the game is completely unplayable anymore, it starts lagging after 10 minutes and it freezes the whole console after 20, which cannot be good for the hardware either... I'm scared to touch it now, and I wish I had finished the main quest at least and been done with it. Do NOT buy this for the PS3, you will regret it. Either rent it and fast forward through the main quest before your game breaks (which is rather pointless) or avoid it altogether. And no, Bethesda will not fix this, so don't even bother wait for fixes. Every single game they released for the PS3 has been broken and NEVER fixed, the same thing will happen again. How many times must they cheat us out of our money until we realize that? Well, it was the last time for me, that's for sure. Expand
  35. Dec 7, 2011
    Guys pay close attention to my comment.. I have proof of false advertisement by bethesda! If you read the back of the ps3 box it says it will play in 1080i.. Guess what? Its b.s ... Everyone try it for yourself! So this means you are stuck with 720p? Wrong again! They dumned down the graphics even more! Look at the items in your inventory such as plants,food items,herbs and u will noticeGuys pay close attention to my comment.. I have proof of false advertisement by bethesda! If you read the back of the ps3 box it says it will play in 1080i.. Guess what? Its b.s ... Everyone try it for yourself! So this means you are stuck with 720p? Wrong again! They dumned down the graphics even more! Look at the items in your inventory such as plants,food items,herbs and u will notice they look bigger and more pixelated! They are ""getto rigging"" the game!! Expand
  36. Dec 6, 2011
    A game that is broken = 0, selling a game that does not work is dishonourable and inexcusable whether the game is actually bad or good. If there are problems like this you simply delay and fix them or you don't release it at all! There goes all the respect. DON'T BYE IT.
  37. Dec 5, 2011
    Great game but it is buggy to the point of unplayability. Bethesda needs to quickly create a patch for this game so that it can be playable again. I recommend not buying it until then.
  38. Dec 5, 2011
    DO NOT BUY!
    The game is broken, and not playable on the PS3.
    It is a fantastic game for the first couple of hours.
    But the frame rate will drop, until it is unplayable after about 50 hours of gameplay.
  39. Dec 5, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME until you know it's fixed.

This game gets unplayable after some hours of play.The lag ruins the whole experience and the constant freezes can destroy your PS3 .Shame on you,all reviewers of the press who rushed and give the PS3 version of Skyrim a 10/10,this game deserves a 0.It's just a waste of money in the way it is now
  40. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is completely broken. With the patch, Bethesda only found a way to break it more. Never trusting these guys again with my money. Future Bethesda titles will be purchased months after release and used with 0% of the money going to them.
  41. Dec 8, 2011
    Skyrim was a wonderful game.But Beth doesn't care about PS3 version.It's unplayable with many bugs,hororfull lag and crappy frezees.DO NOT BUY this game.It's not woth it.Needs fixing.
  42. Dec 8, 2011
    There's something wrong with the critical gaming media when a completely broken game gets near perfect reviews across the board. Average score of 93? Why is this allowed?
  43. Dec 5, 2011
    I made an account just for this so that other ps3 users could get an insight of the dire situation this game is in. The ps3 version is terrible, it has lots of bugs that ruins the quests and u might not get to finish a lot of them, freezing issues that might corrupt save games or even worse your ps3 and the framerate is TERRIBLE once the save file has reached a certain size. To make theI made an account just for this so that other ps3 users could get an insight of the dire situation this game is in. The ps3 version is terrible, it has lots of bugs that ruins the quests and u might not get to finish a lot of them, freezing issues that might corrupt save games or even worse your ps3 and the framerate is TERRIBLE once the save file has reached a certain size. To make the matters even worse is that this game is amazing and I really mean amazing. I wont spoil anything but if u can get this game on the xbox360 or pc then do that or hope that the issues will be fixed by Bethesda. Again, I love this game but on the ps3 this game is broken beyond belief and get it on another platform if u can. Will change this review if the game gets fixed in the future. Expand
  44. Dec 7, 2011
    To those who continue to think this page is being flooded by trolls: On the 5th of December, this page was linked on the forums for the hundreds (and possibly thousands) of PS3 users who are fed up with Bethesda's attitude towards releasing games (releasing a buggy game knowing full well it was buggy with the intention of 'fixing it later' instead of delaying the release to fix everythingTo those who continue to think this page is being flooded by trolls: On the 5th of December, this page was linked on the forums for the hundreds (and possibly thousands) of PS3 users who are fed up with Bethesda's attitude towards releasing games (releasing a buggy game knowing full well it was buggy with the intention of 'fixing it later' instead of delaying the release to fix everything they could). The problems being flooded here are not trolls, but frustrated gamers who cannot enjoy this fantastic game due to a huge lag problem that makes the game unplayable. I personally am about 43 hours in, and the lag only really kicks in cities and during dragon fights. I dread to think what it will be like at 60 hours. But I am also quest locked, unable to complete the main storyline, and thus the reason for my 0. Expand
  45. Dec 5, 2011
    Sorry for you PS3 users, looks like Skyrim has the most problems on that system. Other folks are having issues as well, but PS3 has the worst. Wait til this buggy game is fixed in about 6 months before purchasing. Great game, horrible customer service. Boooooo Bethesda.
  46. Dec 16, 2011
    The PS3 version of Skyrim is a mess. The game starts out okay, but I experienced severe frame rate issues once my save file reached a certain size. The recent patch (1.2 ) did not fix these issues. Turning off autosaves only helps a little bit. The game also caused my system to freeze at times. The freezing isn't being caused by faulty hardware. I recently played Arkham City for manyThe PS3 version of Skyrim is a mess. The game starts out okay, but I experienced severe frame rate issues once my save file reached a certain size. The recent patch (1.2 ) did not fix these issues. Turning off autosaves only helps a little bit. The game also caused my system to freeze at times. The freezing isn't being caused by faulty hardware. I recently played Arkham City for many hours at a time without a hiccup. Bethesda should be completely ashamed. I can forgive minor bugs, but releasing a broken product is inexcusable. Expand
  47. Dec 5, 2011
    This game should be a masterpiece. Brilliant concept, improvements over the previous elder scrolls game, oblivion, and the ambitious goals of a game of this size and depth all should have led to a game of the year award. Too bad this game is broken. Game breaking lag, complete lockup during saving and zoning, quest bugs that are irreversible, thus ruining the entire quest chainThis game should be a masterpiece. Brilliant concept, improvements over the previous elder scrolls game, oblivion, and the ambitious goals of a game of this size and depth all should have led to a game of the year award. Too bad this game is broken. Game breaking lag, complete lockup during saving and zoning, quest bugs that are irreversible, thus ruining the entire quest chain permanently....these are some of the issues plaguing the ps3 version of skyrim. Dragons flying backwards, or never attacking at all. Corrupted save files costing literally hours of replay. This game was not fit for release, but bethesda picked their release day so far in advance and spent millions in advertising, they couldn't see delaying the game. Well shame on them, because six months from now when this game is finally working properly, they could have won the loyalty of every person who buys this on ps3. Instead, pride and greed interrupted their good sense, and will probably cost them a fortune in the long run. This should have been game of the year. Instead, its an "also ran". And bethesda, if we were ok with less than 10 frames per second, we would still be playing our rpg's with pen and paper Expand
  48. Nov 22, 2011
    If you had asked me last week what I thought of Skyrim, you would have gotten glowing praise. It's a game that could very well have been game of the year, however... much like the Gothic games on PC, Skyrim is riddled with game-breaking bugs. On the PS3 it's particularly bad, considering that currently the game-save lag bug that made Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Las Vegas practicallyIf you had asked me last week what I thought of Skyrim, you would have gotten glowing praise. It's a game that could very well have been game of the year, however... much like the Gothic games on PC, Skyrim is riddled with game-breaking bugs. On the PS3 it's particularly bad, considering that currently the game-save lag bug that made Fallout 3 and Fallout 3 New Las Vegas practically unplayable on the PS3 has reared its ugly head in Skyrim. Bethesda has yet to acknowledge the issue in all three games, and much like an ostrich has rather buried its head in the sand. As a frequent contributor on the Bethesda forums, I know first hand how Bethesda ignores our concerns, and I am sceptical that a fix will be found for the PS3 version of the game. The patch 1.2 that's bound to hit our shores next MAY in fact deal with this issue, however chances are Bethesda is scrambling, and hoping that the media will eventually ignore this issue.

My recommendation to fellow PS3 gamers, if you can, get a second hand copy of the game (for xbox 360), that way Bethesda will not profit from the sale, but do not reward them with buying a new retail copy. In my opinion, what should be a game that showcases their hardwork and the PS3, becomes a glorified coster.
  49. Dec 5, 2011
    Bethesda done it again. Make a great game? No, make a bugged game. Releasing, knowingly from the past a big title like this with the dreaded performance issue is a disgrace. Stay away from PS3 version until gets really fixed. Or you will lose 60+ saves like me and other users due to the game breaking bugs, game saves corrupting and performance issues.
  50. Dec 5, 2011
    this is a great game, just not on the ps3. after 90 hours of gameplay i got 1 of many game breaking bugs and could no longer play. i started over from the beginning and now that character is unplayable. do not buy this game for ps3. i wont even talk about the massive lag once your save file reaches 7 megs.
  51. Dec 5, 2011
    If your thinking of buying the ps3 version of skyrim don't , by any means till the problems that occurs on the game is fixed. One big problem the game sufferers with is horrible frame-rate issues and lag on the ps3 version. You get up to 6mb of data your going to start noticing the game in slow-motion all the time. The game isn't totally broken you can still play it but having to do allIf your thinking of buying the ps3 version of skyrim don't , by any means till the problems that occurs on the game is fixed. One big problem the game sufferers with is horrible frame-rate issues and lag on the ps3 version. You get up to 6mb of data your going to start noticing the game in slow-motion all the time. The game isn't totally broken you can still play it but having to do all certain tricks like reloaded your saves back on your ps3 or deleting the install of the game and reinstalling etc etc starts to get real annoying after awhile. I have 113 hours in 12mb and with in maybe 30 mins to hour the game does nothing but lag and the frame-rate becomes nothing but a problem. The game also sufferers major from broken quest's, even main quest's that effect the main story of the game are broken with bugs/glitches. nobody should be giving this game a perfect 10 especially the ps3 version of it. How does a game that has more bugs and glitches than any game that's pretty much out get a 10. Bethesda blew it big time on the ps3 version of skyrim. This game should of been tested first even delayed til the problems of this game were close to perfect. Game gets a 2 due to the replay value of the game and that's about it. Expand
  52. Dec 5, 2011
    Epic game!!!! Too bad it is totally unplayable on the PS3. After you spend several hours getting about 1/4 of the way through the game it starts experiencing terrible lag and sometimes freezes on you causing you to have to restart your game midquest. Do some searches online to see for yourself, this is a terrible problem for all PS3 players and Bethesda, the game's developers, do notEpic game!!!! Too bad it is totally unplayable on the PS3. After you spend several hours getting about 1/4 of the way through the game it starts experiencing terrible lag and sometimes freezes on you causing you to have to restart your game midquest. Do some searches online to see for yourself, this is a terrible problem for all PS3 players and Bethesda, the game's developers, do not seem to care at all whether their product works or not. This would be a 10 if I owned an Xbox but it's a fat ZERO for me on the PS3. Expand
  53. Dec 5, 2011
    To clarify things I still stand by my initial review.The reason why the rating is dropping is not due to trolls.All of the unhappy Skyrim owners from the official forums are joining together.We are all making the effort to express are disdain about the ps3 version of this game.When you unify and mobilize people to actually speak there minds on one one these forums this is what you can expect.
  54. Dec 11, 2011
    This would be a great game if it wasn't for the bugs, the framerate issues and the way it basically collapses in on itself the more you play it. If it worked, I'd give it a ten. Right now I'm giving Bethesda a zero, because this thing needed a lot more time in the oven before it was done. Don't sell me a broken product and expect to get away with it.
  55. Dec 7, 2011
    Game is totally broken and uplayable after a certain point. Other than that its a good game. when will i get to 150 characters is this it yet maybe now what about now this is stupid, now its gotta be at least 150
  56. Dec 1, 2011
    I would have given this game at least an 8 if it wasn't plagued by bugs and lag. The game is beautiful, quests are interesting, tons of content, and while the combat may be stale, repetitive, and ultimately devoid of strategy, it's not the focus of the game anyways. Sounds like it should be a joy to play, right? Not for PS3 users. The lag is so bad at times that I can hardly move.I would have given this game at least an 8 if it wasn't plagued by bugs and lag. The game is beautiful, quests are interesting, tons of content, and while the combat may be stale, repetitive, and ultimately devoid of strategy, it's not the focus of the game anyways. Sounds like it should be a joy to play, right? Not for PS3 users. The lag is so bad at times that I can hardly move. The game turns into a slideshow whenever I try to run through whiterun or use my horse on the world map. Put half a dozen enemies on the screen and my character is teleporting all over the place. The craptastic framerate literally sucks every ounce of enjoyment out of the game for me. The lag pops up no matter what I'm doing, whether it be dragon hunting, exploration, or just hanging out at the thieve's guild.

Instead of thinking about the game's positive points, I'm stuck thinking about stutters, freezes, online updates that somehow manage make the game even buggier and how Bethesda scammed me out of $60. Meanwhile, Bethesda has been quiet, saying nothing about the game-breaking lag and downplaying the other issues. Never falling for the Bethesda hype again. Fool me once...
  57. Dec 5, 2011
    DON'T buy this game. It's broken, flawed, buggy and badly designed. it WILL run at 10 FPS after you play half the game and it WILL make your console crash, risking corruption of all your data.

The game itself is like Oblivion but refined and made barely prettier, but that doesn't matter when you can't play the game you bought.
  58. Dec 5, 2011
    Great while it lasted. If I had reviewed this game 2 weeks ago, I might have given it a 10.

The first 40 hours were the most awesome, enjoyable, immersive hours of gaming I can remember. Beyond that point, the game becomes a paranoid grind through a sea of bugs, glitches, freezes, performance issues and general unplayability. Be prepared to save every 5 minutes, perform a forced reset roughly every hour after your PS3 locks up, or every 2 hours once the frame rate gets bad enough.

Bethesda knew about these issues specific to the PS3 prior to release, which is why they did not give game review sites copies of the PS3 version. Surely some of these sites would have played beyond the ~6MB save file limit, encountered major performance problems, and raised a red flag. This is really a disgrace by Bethesda and is a total insult to fans of the series. I hope that fans remember this for a long time. Although I have my moments of love and hate for Blizzard, Bethesda could learn a lot from their philosophy of releasing products "when they're done". Bethesda opted for short term gain at the expense of trusting PS3 owners. Shame on them. Do not buy this game on PS3.
  59. Dec 5, 2011
    While the advertised game is extremely promising, it is clear that this version is simply unplayable for a majority of customers, with crippling slowdown affecting most players after 50 or 60 hours, which is just a fraction of the time needed to see everything this game offers. In short, it is pretty much broken, despite Bethesda lying before release and saying it ran equally to the otherWhile the advertised game is extremely promising, it is clear that this version is simply unplayable for a majority of customers, with crippling slowdown affecting most players after 50 or 60 hours, which is just a fraction of the time needed to see everything this game offers. In short, it is pretty much broken, despite Bethesda lying before release and saying it ran equally to the other versions. Also, their performance as a company is completely disgusting, refusing to give any advice about refunds and allowing the product to continue to be sold despite being well aware of the above. Expand
  60. Dec 5, 2011
    This game starts out as good, if not better, than all the hype. My problem from the game it's self comes from the lack of testing or caring towards ps3 owners. The game moves along fine until maybe a dozen or so hours in. At this point things start lagging and only degenerate from there into an almost unplayable mess. Quests seem to be broken left, right and center. It's a gorgeousThis game starts out as good, if not better, than all the hype. My problem from the game it's self comes from the lack of testing or caring towards ps3 owners. The game moves along fine until maybe a dozen or so hours in. At this point things start lagging and only degenerate from there into an almost unplayable mess. Quests seem to be broken left, right and center. It's a gorgeous game that was never built from the ground up for the ps3 and thus we suffer with what ultimately becomes an unplayable, bug ridden mess. Expand
  61. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is an absolute sludge fest. It runs awful on the PS3, the longer you play, the worse it gets. All you have to do is look at any of the message boards or forums around the Internet to see the disgust this game is causing gamers. Problem is, Bethesda is not offering any type of explanation as to how this game could get released in this state. It was obviously not testedThis game is an absolute sludge fest. It runs awful on the PS3, the longer you play, the worse it gets. All you have to do is look at any of the message boards or forums around the Internet to see the disgust this game is causing gamers. Problem is, Bethesda is not offering any type of explanation as to how this game could get released in this state. It was obviously not tested thoroughly at Besthesda and they simply want your money. If you are interested in buying and playing Skyrim, get it on PC or 360. I can not recommend the PS3 version in the horrible state it is currently in. This is embarrassing. Expand
  62. Dec 5, 2011
    Seemingly fun game, but absolutely horrible on PS3.

I've played roughly ~100 of the PS3 version, multiple characters, maxing out around 45, various save file sizes ranging from 3500 KB to 15000 KB. Bethesda released a product that was not ready for the PS3 system; they knew full well that it was a flawed product, yet they choose to release it anyway and let the casual user beta (or alpha
    Seemingly fun game, but absolutely horrible on PS3.

Bethesda released a product that was not ready for the PS3 system; they knew full well that it was a flawed product, yet they choose to release it anyway and let the casual user beta (or alpha in this case) test their game.

A quick glance at the Official Forums and you will find a thread title "Unofficial Bug List".....with THOUSANDS upon THOUSANDS of bugs listed. And this is only in the PS3 section (note: most of these probably carry over to the other platforms as well)...

Issues aside (and they are borderline gamebreaking issues), the game itself is a decent open world RPG-lite. There are many improvements over Oblivion, however, sadly there are MANY steps BACKWARDS.

The game world itself is incredibly detailed visually and the overall aesthetic is LEAGUES beyond anything in Oblivion; however, the game falls flat on its face with portraying a living breathing world. It feels empty and dead. Yes, NPCs wander around, do various tasks, repeat dialogue lines 100000000s of times; however, the world itself never changes, there are no impacts to your actions, no feedback at all. Instead you are left with this beautiful world that just feels EMPTY.

There are a myriad of other issues, ranging from lack of distinct items (armor, weapons, etc), to a poorly designed "talent" tree system, poor decision making system, poor UI, lack of enemy variety, poor "scaling" system, improved dungeons....that still feel the same after the 100th time you've been inside one, etc.

The game could be a fairly solid 7/10 with minor bugs (not those experienced on the PS3 version), bugs that could easily be patched out given enough time/effort by the devs; however, with the performance issues included.....the game drops way down to a 4/10, as it becomes unplayable after you reach a certain save file size.
  63. Dec 5, 2011
    I would have given this a 9 or maybe a 10..... if it would have been a playable game. PS3 version is unplayable and therefore broken. There should be a recall.
  64. Dec 5, 2011
    Currently, it's just a version of the game full of game-breaking bugs and glitches that will hinder your experience and make you wish for a refund.

I'll update the score if ever they release a proper version that fully works!
  65. Dec 12, 2011
    Great game for the first 40 hours... til it becomes unplayable due to horrible drops in frame rates that actually drop to 0 frames per second, along with the famous system locks and crashes Bethesda's famous for. I would recommend getting it on 360 if possible if you're interested in Elder Scrolls V! You've been warned!!!!
  66. Nov 24, 2011
    This is such a fantastic game... at first. The lag is unbearable around 25+ hours in.
    If this was any other game I would give it a second chance, but seeing as Bethesda are
    reluctant to even acknowledge the problem I am giving it a big fat zero.
    Shame, so much potential.
  67. Dec 5, 2011
    After awhile my ps3 freezes and after all the corrupt game file stories i quit playing until they release a patch that probably wont fix it. Also all the cool weapon racks and bookshelves in my house do not work which is really half the fun in a game like this.
  68. Dec 5, 2011
    This game should be one of the best ever PS3 titles but has been released with game destroying framerate/crash issues. As a result this game is frustrating, it lures you in with an amazing world, great graphics and fun gameplay then snatches it away as the game crumbles in front on your eyes. The framerate drops so much that the game is virtually unplayable, at the very least unenjoyable.This game should be one of the best ever PS3 titles but has been released with game destroying framerate/crash issues. As a result this game is frustrating, it lures you in with an amazing world, great graphics and fun gameplay then snatches it away as the game crumbles in front on your eyes. The framerate drops so much that the game is virtually unplayable, at the very least unenjoyable. Bethesda must have known about this common bug so they have essentially ripped off their PS3 fanbase with a broken game. AVOID. Expand
  69. Dec 6, 2011
    Horrible lag, mass amount of bugs, just go read posts anywhere from players on forums and websites!! Can't play due to incredible lag, runs like a slideshow! Horrible waste of money, NO MORE Bethesda games for me, paying to beta test their junk. Unacceptable!! Here, see for yourself!

http://uk.ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1214016p1.html http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/forum/182-playstation-3/
  70. Dec 5, 2011
    A broken unplayable game. I'm not going to play this anymore. And I'm definitely not going to buy any other Bethesda games if they won't fix this. This is such a shame. There's actually a good game hidden under the broken mess.
  71. Dec 5, 2011
    over 50% of the quests are bugged making most unplayable,
    the more u play the game the more it lags till eventually becomes un-playable. and what makes it worse is bethesda are failing to acknowledge this game breaking flaw. all those who suffered bad lag in fallout should know this game is worse and happens alot earlier
  72. Dec 5, 2011
    Do NOT buy this for PS3! Do NOT trust gaming site reviews. Please read on and I will explain. Skyrim has the potential to be one of the greatest games of all time. If you enjoy medieval fantasy era, Dungeons and Dragons, a huge, extremely long quest, and the ability to experience this setting in any way you wish, Skyrim seems to have everything you've ever wanted.

Unfortunately the PS3

Unfortunately the PS3 version, over time, starts to have technical issues that get worse and worse until the experience is so unplayable and broken, that you eventually cannot continue. What starts as an amazing experience, eventually becomes a slideshow that causes the Playstation to function at levels that are totally unresponsive. It turns out the developers, Bethesda, did not design this game with Playstation 3 in mind, and in order to recoup development costs, decided to release the game anyway, without allowing anyone to see how it eventually plays. Game review sites have nearly all reviewed the 360 version, and only put an hour or so into the PS3 version because Bethesda did not send out PS3 review copies.

Apparently, this is not the first time Bethesda has done this with PS3 versions of their games. In fact, all of their games, aside from Oblivion, eventually become unplayable messes over time.

They have released an online update that alleviates the problem for awhile, but it still eventually happens to everyone.

If you do not believe me, please head to youtube and do a search for "caseypsx" without the quotes and watch the clip called "To Bethesda - On Skyrim 1.2 patch". You will see for yourself what happens after a period of time, and it only gets worse from there.

Again, do not buy this game for PS3, do not reward them for this shoddy work, you cannot return games in the US!!!!
  73. Nov 22, 2011
    The game is broken,the lag is destroying the whole experience.Despite the fact that maybe a good game i'll never see it because after some long play hours the games just gets too lagy and in the end it stops responding...What i have to write in a review after this?To talk about the NPCs and the absolutely hot graphics?How would i propose another game to look for it when he could neverThe game is broken,the lag is destroying the whole experience.Despite the fact that maybe a good game i'll never see it because after some long play hours the games just gets too lagy and in the end it stops responding...What i have to write in a review after this?To talk about the NPCs and the absolutely hot graphics?How would i propose another game to look for it when he could never really enjoy them.I am very disappointed of all these mess and the announced patch don't give me a glimpse of hope.I can accept some bugs but no unplayability after 30+ hours of gaming.The game is worthy of only a 0. Expand
  74. Dec 5, 2011
    Right out of the box, this game is full of bugs. Quests cannot be completed. There are serious framerate issues as you progress in the game, and there is no apparent fix. You should not need major patches and updates just to play the game you already bought. This is a terrible experience, and I will never buy a new game from Bethesda ever again.
  75. Dec 12, 2011
    Skyrim is something unique in many ways,it's a fantastic huge epic world,one of the most massives on the consoles RPG standars.But there is a great deliverance between that and what hides beneath it.Dragons aren't so scary as the frame drops are,Freezing issues are more dangerous than dungeons and beware,beware my brave warriors the Skyrim itself problems can kill your beloved kingdom ofSkyrim is something unique in many ways,it's a fantastic huge epic world,one of the most massives on the consoles RPG standars.But there is a great deliverance between that and what hides beneath it.Dragons aren't so scary as the frame drops are,Freezing issues are more dangerous than dungeons and beware,beware my brave warriors the Skyrim itself problems can kill your beloved kingdom of PS3.Do not let this happen... Expand
  76. Dec 5, 2011
    I check Metacritic all the time and use it extensively, but I have never felt it necessary to sign up, rate, or review a game until now. As you can see above, I have given Skyrim a rating of 0 for the PS3 version. This is not because the game is terrible, which it actually is on PS3, but because Bethesda sold PS3 users a game that is irreparably broken. I'm not talking about all of theI check Metacritic all the time and use it extensively, but I have never felt it necessary to sign up, rate, or review a game until now. As you can see above, I have given Skyrim a rating of 0 for the PS3 version. This is not because the game is terrible, which it actually is on PS3, but because Bethesda sold PS3 users a game that is irreparably broken. I'm not talking about all of the patching issues, though those are certainly a shame. I'm talking about the unavoidable framerate issues. Now, I'm generally a huge Bethesda fan. Both Morrowind and Oblivion are two of my favorite games of all time and I have played the both of them for at least 100 hours each. I love Skyrim too, just not the PS3 version, which has no redeeming qualities whatsoever. I have an Xbox 360, a PS3, and a gaming computer and I chose, above all those other platforms, to buy/play the game on the PS3. I have since had to play the PC version, which is fantastic, but it was not my first choice.

Bottom line: I find it absolutely deplorable that Bethesda would release a game in such a state without first warning potential buyers of the problems that they will inevitably face.
  77. Dec 7, 2011
    What happened to Dignity?
    Did it go away again?
    Just like some worn out trend. Well I still defend emotions. What happened to Honesty? I don't see it in the top ten. I only see it in what has been. 'cause I still defend Devotion. Don't want to rest, Don't want to breath. We don't want to hear about life. Don't want to hear a spokesman. I don't want to test on what you believe, The god
    What happened to Dignity?
    Did it go away again?
    Just like some worn out trend.
    Well I still defend emotions.

What happened to Honesty?
    I don't see it in the top ten.
    I only see it in what has been.
    'cause I still defend Devotion.

Don't want to rest, Don't want to breath.
    We don't want to hear about life.
    Don't want to hear a spokesman.
    I don't want to test on what you believe,
    The god damn singer wrote the song!
    Don't want to hear a spokesman.

all rights to Goldfinger.Shame on you Beth!!!Skyrim is broken
  78. Dec 5, 2011
    I just don't see how anyone could give this game on PS3 a 10 unless they aren't having any of the many issues I've had playing this game. It would be funny if the game hadn't been so expensive. By the time I reached level 40 and invested 150+ hours of gameplay, I couldn't finish 3 major side quests and I couldn't get past a certain point in the main quest, all because of glitches. II just don't see how anyone could give this game on PS3 a 10 unless they aren't having any of the many issues I've had playing this game. It would be funny if the game hadn't been so expensive. By the time I reached level 40 and invested 150+ hours of gameplay, I couldn't finish 3 major side quests and I couldn't get past a certain point in the main quest, all because of glitches. I understand that some of the issues I had with my original NPC was my fault (I explored the world and killed bad guys as I came across them, thus glitching future quests). If Bethesda has some souped-up super-modded PS3 is apparent because they either didn't produce any problems or they knowingly released a product that is crap on PS3.

I really want to give this game a high score, I do but if you only get about 40% way through the game and your progress has been halted because of quest glitches, whats the point in playing any further? And the patch they released? All I got out of it was backwards flying dragons that I couldn't catch or kill. Kinda ruins the game, ya know?
  79. Nov 25, 2011
    Such an amazing game ruined by all of its bugs ,the ps3 owners were once again let down,the game lags so badly that you can't even play the game.Your review must be at least 150 characters long.
  80. Dec 5, 2011
    GAME IS BROKEN and 100 % GLITCHED - beware............(check skyrim bethesda forum for details).

Game was unsuccessfully ported to PS3 which occurs in lags/freeze and graphics of N64 !
  81. Dec 4, 2011
    For those of you who are addicted to trophy hunting, the difficulty level of the game doesn't affect the trophies, so you can play it dead easy, and still get all of them. There's a vast world to explore making it rather addictive. Quests / battles very doable, not too hard, not retardedly easy either... However... this game has some serious flaws, which get REALLY ANNOYING after someFor those of you who are addicted to trophy hunting, the difficulty level of the game doesn't affect the trophies, so you can play it dead easy, and still get all of them. There's a vast world to explore making it rather addictive. Quests / battles very doable, not too hard, not retardedly easy either... However... this game has some serious flaws, which get REALLY ANNOYING after some time.... Such as... Main quest is really really short. Sometimes in battles a dragon pops up (if you're lucky your enemies die by the dragon's attack, if unlucky both the dragon and the other enemies aggro on you). If you hit a member of your team during a number of quests (not all), they turn their aggression on you. This is especially retarded for mages since they just run into your attack while casting and turn aggressive. >_< The stamina of your horses run out even faster than your own, which completely ruins the point of riding on a horse. Not faster. If you're in battle and you surrender, your horse / companion will keep on fighting. (just annoying) After about 20 hours of game time the game starts to lag so badly it's damn near impossible to play the game (happens either straight away or after 30 minutes or so), and there's not much you seem to be able to do about it. (this is the main reason I'm grading it low, a game you can't play due to fps lags isn't really a fun one. Next to the lagging, sometimes the game crashes during a loading screen or freezes while you're running around, the fps lag can actually freeze up your entire console. In some cases I can exit the game using my controller, in some cases I can press the on/off button on my console, and in some cases I have to cut the power off of my ps3 and plugging the cord back in. Most annoying thing really. Also, the update for this game supposedly fixing bugs, makes the game act worse rather than better.... Quest bugs leading to it being impossible to finish quests, while you're hoping you have a recent previous save game from before the dungeon (which in most cases you don't). I'm sure I haven't named all minuses yet, but this is about enough really. It's a fun game, a LOT of gameplay, but the bugs and glitches and mistakes, and lags and freezes, and crashes, and everything else really take the edge off. Expand
  82. Nov 21, 2011
    Best and worst time with a game. Skyrim is an amazing game but I want to single out the PS3 version. I don't have a PC or an Xbox 360 so I was forced to try this version. It started off pretty well with very little problems. About 10 hours in with a 6mb save file, things started to go sour. I started to experience crazy amounts of lag that ruined game play. I implore anybody to get anotherBest and worst time with a game. Skyrim is an amazing game but I want to single out the PS3 version. I don't have a PC or an Xbox 360 so I was forced to try this version. It started off pretty well with very little problems. About 10 hours in with a 6mb save file, things started to go sour. I started to experience crazy amounts of lag that ruined game play. I implore anybody to get another version if they can. DO NOT BUY THE PS3 VERSION (or wait to see if it can be fixed). In addition to the lag problem, the ps3 version also has the worst visuals of the 3 platforms. This wasn't a big deal to me but it's worth noting for the people that care. Expand
  83. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim is such an amazing game but fatally flawed by the constant LAG that is going on after a few hours of play. I absolutely love Skyrim and find it almost as addictive as Oblivion, but I can't bring myself to give it a perfect score due to the unplayability. The constant restarting of my system just to get the game to stop lagging is absolutely inexcusable it leaves me to believe thatSkyrim is such an amazing game but fatally flawed by the constant LAG that is going on after a few hours of play. I absolutely love Skyrim and find it almost as addictive as Oblivion, but I can't bring myself to give it a perfect score due to the unplayability. The constant restarting of my system just to get the game to stop lagging is absolutely inexcusable it leaves me to believe that Bethesda did not test this game at all as so they've repeated with other games they release now, patch later. This trend by Bethesda releasing broken games needs to stop, As I did not know I was beta testing their full release titles. I'll also complain that the menus suck. They're terrible. Why change them from Oblivion. There was nothing wrong with them in oblivion, instead we have this stupid wheel that doesn't work half of the time and a world map that is just stupid to look at. I constantly find myself having to search around the world map screen for the arrow to my next objective, only to notice that it hasn't actually popped up causing me to leave and reenter the menu screen. The Perk menu is a joke. It's so sloppily made, I understand they tried making it look cool but WOW. It's a pain to navigate and look at what perks you may want to get. Removing the quest log is another thing I don't like. I feel like there isn't much back story to minor quests anymore because this is gone. Again one of the things that made Oblivion great. Botched. What's positive: The landscapes are amazing. I can wander around the world aimlessly and just consistently be amazed by bethesda's work at making scenery so nice. The dungeons have also taken a huge, huge, huge step forward from Oblivion. These dungeons actually don't look and feel exactly the same anymore. Again, Well done. Music is great too. Very serene feeling exploring through the wilderness and mountains of Skyrim, much like in Oblivion. Skyrim is by far the buggiest game of the year, if it had no problems. I'd say it's one of the best. Guess I'll play Modern warfare 3 until a patch. Expand
  84. Nov 28, 2011
    When I first started playing this game I was immediately in love with it. The graphics were amazing and I was totally enjoying the medieval world. Well, I can safely say that I probably will not be playing this game again. The game has a major Lag issue where as you progress through the game the PS3 cannot handle the amount of information that the game is trying to get processed. So,When I first started playing this game I was immediately in love with it. The graphics were amazing and I was totally enjoying the medieval world. Well, I can safely say that I probably will not be playing this game again. The game has a major Lag issue where as you progress through the game the PS3 cannot handle the amount of information that the game is trying to get processed. So, basically about half way through the game it will start lagging and getting kind of buggy. After about 3/4 through the game it will start having major issues like freezing. Now I cannot even get through the final mission because it keeps freezing repeatedly. This is extremely frustrating and completely ruins the game for me. Whats the point in playing a broken game that you cannot even finish. Also, some people play that the fault lies with the PS3 since it doesn't have enough RAM but, if you think about it the developers should have taken that fact into account with porting to the PS3 and compensated but removing some of the unnecessary features like remembering every little animal that you kill. Terrible disappointment. Do Not Buy For PS3! Expand
  85. J3W
    Nov 22, 2011
    After your save game reaches 6mb+ which seems to occur after about 30-40 hours of play time in most cases, the game suffers from unplayable frame rate issues. This youtube video shows a goos example:
  86. Dec 5, 2011
    Registered on this site just so I could post my review of Skyrim today. I NEVER do these reviews but have been driven by pure desire for playing an amazingly fun game (when it is playable) in hopes that sites and reviews like this will encourage Bethesda to prioritize fixes (especially the lag issues). Also, I hope that I am able to come back here with a (post-fix) update to this game inRegistered on this site just so I could post my review of Skyrim today. I NEVER do these reviews but have been driven by pure desire for playing an amazingly fun game (when it is playable) in hopes that sites and reviews like this will encourage Bethesda to prioritize fixes (especially the lag issues). Also, I hope that I am able to come back here with a (post-fix) update to this game in the near future because it will likely get a 10/10 if these issues are resolved.

With that said, I have given Skyrim PS3 version a 3/10 for the following reasons:

1. Increasingly bad stutter, lag and frame drops as I play the game (the worst part of all!)
    2. Magic resistance not working at all
    3. Several broken quests
    4. Dragons flying around but ignoring me
  87. Dec 12, 2011
    And the oscar for the most laggy game of all time goes to SKYRIM!!!What a disappointment was that?What a disaster?It's unplayable after some long hours of playing,you can't keep playing anymore it's broken really.Avoid this game,evade its lag and huge problems...
  88. Dec 12, 2011
    This game is completely broken on the ps3. The game will slowly wither away the more you play it, until it becomes absolutely unplayable. The lag starts around the 30 hour mark and gets progressively worse. If you must have this game, wait until it's patched or DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
  89. Dec 12, 2011
    Bethesda intentionally shipped a broken version of the game on PS3 and I would bet at this moment they have no idea of how to address the issue. The issue is lag. After a period of time playing the game and your save file size starts to exceed 7mb, The game will start lagging so bad that it becomes impossible to play. I have played this game today and it has crashed 7 times. Everyone whoBethesda intentionally shipped a broken version of the game on PS3 and I would bet at this moment they have no idea of how to address the issue. The issue is lag. After a period of time playing the game and your save file size starts to exceed 7mb, The game will start lagging so bad that it becomes impossible to play. I have played this game today and it has crashed 7 times. Everyone who is having these problems with Skyrim on thier PS3 should be trading their games in to keep Bethesda from taking money from customers and selling them a broken product Expand
  90. Dec 10, 2011
    As a faulty product that does not work, I can't give it anything above 0.

After about 50 hours into a playthrough, my save file is about 12mb, and the game is unplayable. The slightest bit of action causes a crash. Walking past someone causes a crash. Just walking down a quiet road causes huge framerate issues, I'm talking below 5 frames per second. Something has to be done, some kind of
    As a faulty product that does not work, I can't give it anything above 0.

Something has to be done, some kind of legal action has to take place.
  91. Nov 27, 2011
    this game is made for people with no friends, its a PC **** game that has invaded the consoles. people say with pride I've been play for 800 hours I'm on my 9billionth guest. get a life. the game is broken i needs a patch, why release a unfinished game.
  92. Dec 9, 2011
    I'm very disappointed in this game. It bothers me that this'll probably get GOTY, because this is the exact type of disregard for the gamer that we shouldn't be encouraging.

I'll start with the good. If you liked Oblivion, this game is better in all aspects. The archery is great, sneaking is pretty fun, it looks very pretty. The attention to detail is fantastic, you'll go into caves or tombs and enemies will talk to each other, and often with unique conversations- you don't feel like you're going into 'bandit cave 54' after a couple side quests- your first time into any dungeon will usually feel like a unique experience.

The bad now- melee combat is clunky, far behind industry norms. It feels like you're a drunkard swinging around a club even if you're using a short sword. Magic is decent, if limited in what you can do with it, but again, awkward to use- 2hd weapons are even worse. You'll spend half your play time teleporting from place to place at the whims of quest givers if you're looking for trophies in particular.

Now for the awful. I feel like I'm being very generous giving this game a 6- but, this game could have been an 8 even with the poor combat system, just because of the sheer scope. To start out, I found the bugs amusing. Backwards flying dragons (admittedly annoying because even if killed, they wouldn't drop), flying mammoths, falling through the ground- these are things I can get a chuckle out of. The overwhelming loading screens made my teeth grind, but, I put up with ME elevators, so I could handle that too. Guild questlines becoming unfinishable due to a bug- THAT is unacceptable. The first time it happened, I was mad- lots of time down the drain, and I wasn't expecting it and my auto saves had already overwritten each other from going through doors trying to find the quest giver (before checking online to find out this was just a bug). The second and third time it happened on guild quests (ie- meaning, for trophies, and pretty much the 'main' sidequests), I was getting pissed off- gamebreaking bugs on sidequests? Fine, I don't care, they don't get tested as much, they don't mean much, I'm ok with that. But unfinishable bugs on this guild quest... then that one... then again, and again, and again- NO, come on! TEST THE MAIN QUESTS FFS!!! And while apparantly PC and XBOX didn't seem to have as much trouble with the lag, everywhere I checked for info on glitches- they DID have those issues too. I've played alot of big games on ps3- dark souls, fall out 3... I've also played and beaten New Vegas and Alpha Protocol, and let me tell you, Skyrim makes Obsidian look like the gods of polishing games in comparison- I've never had lag before, the total number of crashes in the two years I've had a ps3 is way less then the crashes just in Skyrim, and I've never had so many glitches in a game, period.

Frankly, my opinion of Bethesda was that they release a broken game and let the fans finish it with modding- that sure hasn't changed now, and I will never be buying a game at release from this company again if this is the kind of rushed polish they're going to give on bug finding.

6/10, 8/10 if they fix all the bug and the lag issues, maybe 6.5/10 for the lagfree PC/XBOX since they do still have the glitches.
  93. Nov 17, 2011
    This game, like any other bethesda games, just suck!

I try hard to understand HOW this game can have all this hype. I mean, take a look at the game. Just doesn't go with the flow. I think 90% of the players like just because most like it. It cant be good because ITS NOT. Its all broken, physics sux, textures, graphics, story... all extremely bad! I feel like Im playing a 1997 PC game
    This game, like any other bethesda games, just suck!

I feel like Im playing a 1997 PC game from a bad game maker. If I could, I would give -10. I dont give this bad score unless the game REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY deserves. Congratulations Skyrim!
  94. Nov 20, 2011
    Skyrim brings 'all flash no substance' to an entirely new level. Somehow people are impressed by having giant sub-par looking landscapes and tons of NPC's even if it substitutes an actually decent combat system, or basically any gameplay mechanic that's even remotely challenging or polished.

If a game based around conflict doesn't have a good combat system, it has nothing. Plain and simple. Bethesda opted for a big world instead of a well designed one, and that's what they got. I'd rather play several better smaller games then waste my time playing one bad big one.
  95. Nov 14, 2011
    Despite the universal acclaim coming from all the usual gaming websites, this game is not as amazing as they would have you believe. We shouldn't be surprised really considering these sites get their revenue from advertising the very games they are reviewing (what a surprise, the game in the ad banner next to this review is getting a 9.5/10!!!). This game is broken. Glitches, like beingDespite the universal acclaim coming from all the usual gaming websites, this game is not as amazing as they would have you believe. We shouldn't be surprised really considering these sites get their revenue from advertising the very games they are reviewing (what a surprise, the game in the ad banner next to this review is getting a 9.5/10!!!). This game is broken. Glitches, like being hit and flying through the air and into some weird black boxy computer-land is, I presume, not part of the elder-scrolls story. Others, like NPCs having what look to be epileptic fits while they talk to a wall (instead of you), are completely ridiculous and show a lack of polish. It is sad to think that game-makers like Bethusda spend so much money on advertising when they could have instead channelled the funds into having programmers put together a game which doesn't look half-finished. If you have to buy this, then get it on PC where hopefully it will be fixed up with mods and/or patches. In the meantime, avoid.â Expand
  96. Nov 17, 2011
    There is a good game in here somewhere, it's a shame there are too many bugs to see it. Dont wait for patches either, Bethesda/Obsidian/Zenimax have never patched a PS3 game to the point it was as playable as the 360 or PC version.

Huge dissapointment, wont be buying from Bethesda/Obsidian/Zenimax again.
  97. Nov 14, 2011
    Initially I was very excited & was ready to make Skyrim my all time favourite game. As time went on however, I became more & more disillusioned. The good - world looks awesome, up to a point ( the bad below); defeating your 1st dragon feels awesome; character customisation allows you to create the character you want; soooo much you can choose to do.
    The bad - combat is as bad as morrowind
    The bad - combat is as bad as morrowind & oblivion, with no lock on it's too hit & miss; creatures in the world do not stand out enough & you often can't see anyone/even when the hud is saying you've been detected; after playing for a while the darker textures started to strobe like lightning! in towns, often 2 or 3 characters will be speaking to you at once, often repeating same dialogue ova & ova (particularly annoying wen trying to follow 1 quest conversation in the middle of it all); often the quests you are given just get you killed, & with no indication as to what's appropriate for your character's level it can get very frustrating.
    My biggest beef however is, once again, I can't play the character I want. I want to be a hunter, sneaking up on animals & taking them down with a single bowshot. This can work if you see the creature 1st. However, in caves & dungeons or where there's multiple enemies such a opcharacter gets swarmed & killed too easily. Ditto, sneaking around hunting. Too often I ran into a bear or saber tooth tiger & was killed in seconds.
    Too many of the problems that plagued Oblivion remain. I hope they get it right next time.
  98. Dec 11, 2011
    I played the game and thought to myself it was amazing until it got repetitive, the quests are pretty much the same and once you pass the story there is really nothing to do, you barley see a dragon and once you get 20 dragon souls that's it, it is very easy to level up and that's without all the glitches that help you level up, absolute garbage,this is not worth the $60,this game getsI played the game and thought to myself it was amazing until it got repetitive, the quests are pretty much the same and once you pass the story there is really nothing to do, you barley see a dragon and once you get 20 dragon souls that's it, it is very easy to level up and that's without all the glitches that help you level up, absolute garbage,this is not worth the $60,this game gets boring after an hour,same old same old,it also gets broken along the way, do NOT get it.. Expand
  99. Nov 12, 2011
    The atmosphere of the game and the open worldedness is everything you'd expect when getting a Elder Scrolls game. However for PC players, like myself, its a dissappointing console port. Bethesda didn't even optimize the menus for keyboard and mouse. I was hoping for more of a morrowind feel and got worse the oblivion feel. Even the graphics were really poor in my opinion obviously madeThe atmosphere of the game and the open worldedness is everything you'd expect when getting a Elder Scrolls game. However for PC players, like myself, its a dissappointing console port. Bethesda didn't even optimize the menus for keyboard and mouse. I was hoping for more of a morrowind feel and got worse the oblivion feel. Even the graphics were really poor in my opinion obviously made for 3 year old hardware like in consoles. Its not horrible as far a games go however PC gamers will proberbly have to wait for mods to fix a game mad without thought to the PC Expand
  100. Nov 12, 2011
    Definitely the disappointment of the year, Skyrim is essentially Fallout 3 with dragons and swords. The entire UI - from button layout (triangle is JUMP, select is "wait how long?"), down to the O button calling up your PIP Boy (er, in this case it's just your menu - which works exactly the same way and is even in THE SAME FONT AS FALLOUT 3 - is all pulled from Oblivion & Bethesda'sDefinitely the disappointment of the year, Skyrim is essentially Fallout 3 with dragons and swords. The entire UI - from button layout (triangle is JUMP, select is "wait how long?"), down to the O button calling up your PIP Boy (er, in this case it's just your menu - which works exactly the same way and is even in THE SAME FONT AS FALLOUT 3 - is all pulled from Oblivion & Bethesda's post-apocalyptic title from 2008. What's worse, the graphics have not improved from Fallout 3's slow-loading textures and chintzy facial-animations. Truly, I was shocked given how much buzz had been generated about this game... shocked, followed by a feeling of being ripped-off as I'd spent full-price on this dud. Granted, I've only played the first several hours... so it could be that the plot gets amazing in the later levels; but I don't think I'm going to be able to put up with much more of the glitches, cheesy script and sad character animations. For example, the grizzly bear in the beginning of the game? Well, it doesn't so much "walk" as it does "float in a weird circle" without moving its legs entirely. Me and my mates were sitting with out jaws dropped... this is the last time I trust Bethesda on their word. Then again, all the reviews seemed to be so glowing and favorable.... I must admit it makes me wonder how much advertising has had to do with influencing these undeserved scores.Here's the thing, if I were a little kid who only was able to get like 3 games a year from mom and dad, yeah, I think I'd probably dig this game a lot more (and be super-defensive about it sucking, thereby giving it a 10 on Metacritic), because it's huge and in that sense, worth one's money. But I'm an adult. I buy pretty much every new game I want, which is at least a few a month. I bought Rage. I bought Dark Souls. Having had those recent experiences (not to mention Uncharted 3 and Arkham City), Skyrim just feels super-antiquated and, well... sad. It's just a sad, sad title. You know what hurt the most? My roommate who doesn't even play video games was able to casually walk past me whilst playing Skyrim and immediately assessed it's mediocrity. "What's that... that's not your new game is it?" he said. Yes, yeah... that's Skyrim. "Eew, really? It looks like Fallout." I **** you not... even the uninitiated can smell the fecal pile that is Skyrim's tiredness. I'm just glad I can at least trade in Skyrim for the bulk of my money in time for Saints Row III. So much for a weekend learning Dragon Shouts. :-( Here's a shout for you "SKYRIM SUCKS!"â Expand

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Jan 2, 2012
    This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]