6.3

1. Dec 9, 2011
    I strongly suggest you wait until the game of the year edition is out and hopefully by then they'll know exactly what's wrong with the PS3 version of Skyrim and how to fix it. The gameplay is great, but in it's current state it is unfortunately unplayable.

Sadly their strategy seems to be to rush a game to market, then frantically try and patch the issues while their customers QA it.
  2. Dec 9, 2011
    Game is broken, PS3 locks up during play even with auto saves turned off etc etc. Controller issues - randomly lose control. Freezes and stutters prevalent when save game gets above a certain size. If you enjoy having to reset your console go for it, otherwise avoid until confirmed fixed by others. Great concept, great frustration, great god, did they really release it in this state...
  3. Dec 9, 2011
    Game has become unplayable due to lag. Until it is fixed I'll shall be playing games from companies that have decent QA. Bethesda need to get their act together. Nothing more to be said.
  4. Dec 7, 2011
    Feel totally ripped off, trusted Bethesda after some buggy releases in the past but watching interviews I truly thought they had learnt their lesson... but no. Spent £130 on the collectors edition, managed to do most of the game but there was just no enjoyment, I was constantly worried that the game might crash or become so laggy it was unplayable so tried to rush as much as IFeel totally ripped off, trusted Bethesda after some buggy releases in the past but watching interviews I truly thought they had learnt their lesson... but no. Spent £130 on the collectors edition, managed to do most of the game but there was just no enjoyment, I was constantly worried that the game might crash or become so laggy it was unplayable so tried to rush as much as I could, after about 90 hours and a 13mb save file the game did become totally unplayable. I urge people not to buy Skyrim if they are on the fence, the problems with the game affect everyone eventually. Total rubbish Expand
  5. Dec 7, 2011
    I thought I was home free. I played the game for a good 40 hours, but then the lag started the slideshow. This game is not playable in its current state. Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves sell a game thats not fit for retail. They even say there isnt even a problem. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME no matter what anyone says-dont give in the the pretty comercials and the marketing hype,I thought I was home free. I played the game for a good 40 hours, but then the lag started the slideshow. This game is not playable in its current state. Bethesda should be ashamed of themselves sell a game thats not fit for retail. They even say there isnt even a problem. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME no matter what anyone says-dont give in the the pretty comercials and the marketing hype, that is the only thing bethesda is good at! Expand
  6. Jan 5, 2012
    This IS a very good game at heart, but the only reason I know that is because the PS3 version was so buggy and eventually near unplayable that it pretty much forced me to go out and buy the PC version. Whilst my laptop can't run the game at quite the graphics capable on the PS3, it was far more enjoyable because of the lack of frame drops and the game being unhelpful in that respect. ItThis IS a very good game at heart, but the only reason I know that is because the PS3 version was so buggy and eventually near unplayable that it pretty much forced me to go out and buy the PC version. Whilst my laptop can't run the game at quite the graphics capable on the PS3, it was far more enjoyable because of the lack of frame drops and the game being unhelpful in that respect. It really is a shame, because it is a spectacular game, and I loved every minute of it on the PC, but really I should have been able to play it on the PS3, the first copy I bought. This isn't trolling at all, but the game needs fixing BEFORE it ships, Bethesda. I know a few copies mean nothing, but the issues with my game have been so severe that I've recommended that people should not buy this game on the PS3 in various stores I've been in, and they've all either said they'll wait to buy it preowned as a result or just haven't got it if they couldn't purchase it on another console (Not everyone has the privilege of owning a PC, 360 and PS3) So, the score of 1 remains until this garbage is patched. I really recommend buying the game, but not the PS3 version at present. Expand
  7. Dec 19, 2011
    The most broken game ive ever seen on a ps3. This has the potential to be a great game but its so riddled with game breaking bugs and terrible performance. My minimum requirement for game is that it should be at least playable until the end regardless of small issues along the way. If you are considering buying this game please go to bethesda skyrim forums first and just see the pain whichThe most broken game ive ever seen on a ps3. This has the potential to be a great game but its so riddled with game breaking bugs and terrible performance. My minimum requirement for game is that it should be at least playable until the end regardless of small issues along the way. If you are considering buying this game please go to bethesda skyrim forums first and just see the pain which your are about to embark in. Very very poor. Expand
  8. Dec 9, 2011
    Would be decent without the damn lag bug, really, just fix it. It can't be that difficult. I'm not even really that far into the game either. I would give it a 9/10 if it were fixed but this is just annoying.
  9. Dec 8, 2011
    Game froze up after about an hour of playing and it only gets worse as if i try to re log into it. to sum it up this game is busted beyond fixing. Going to take it back as soon as i can
  10. Dec 8, 2011
    This game is horribly buggy on the PS3; basically unplayable after investing some time into it. The recent patches did NOTHING to solve it. I wanted to like this game. I really did. It's beautiful to look at, for awhile. Then it just becomes a crashing, locking-up nightmare. Ugh.
  11. Dec 8, 2011
    I like Bethesda Games, I know they create huge,large games full of many things to do. I know there will always be some bugs. Minor, major, or game breaking. I have played Elder Scrolls starting on the Xbox Original with Morrowind. Then played Oblivion on the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. Fallout on Xbox 360 and again Playstation 3.

But .. this time for some of my own reasons. I decided to

But .. this time for some of my own reasons. I decided to try it on the Playstation 3 first. So far it has been great. *5MB Save* But i am sad to hear many gamers experiencing such bugs that freeze the game completely. I know one thing for sure. This will happen to me one of this days, but this a completely new bug that is trouble to the system and gamer. What i don't get is why Bethesda is taking so much time to fix this problem. It's like they are ignoring the bug. So for this i have lost trust and support for them. For now. I would completely not recommend getting this on the PS3. Best option would either wait for some miracle. Or .. just ge the 360 or PC version. Thank you.
  12. Dec 8, 2011
    Wait till the Ps3 version is fixed, or get a different version. I love this game, I think it's freaking awesome, but I just can't put up with all the frustration of the constant freezing, framerate drops, bugged quests, etc...

I have friends with the Xbox version and none of them have had anywhere near the amount of problems I've had with the Ps3 version.
  13. Dec 8, 2011
    This is arguably the best game of the year in Artistic Production and imagination in content. Regretfully, the PS3 version turns unplayable after a while. The freezing problem is a game breaker. Some other bugs are important but the freezing and frame rate drop turns the experience unbearable.
  14. Dec 8, 2011
    I'll get about 32$ for a 60$ game at Microplay, in exchange of another game, After that they cry when poeple hack the PC version. Us fellow PS3 user we get what, an unfinished game.
  15. Dec 8, 2011
    Fantastic game; terrible stability. I recommend avoiding the PS3 version until Bethesda fixes the issue with the unplayable lag that's seemingly plaguing many PS3 users, including me, after the 60 hour mark. I would love to give this game a perfect score, but I just can't recommend this to anyone as of now, especially when Bethesda does not seem to be actively and clearly notifying itsFantastic game; terrible stability. I recommend avoiding the PS3 version until Bethesda fixes the issue with the unplayable lag that's seemingly plaguing many PS3 users, including me, after the 60 hour mark. I would love to give this game a perfect score, but I just can't recommend this to anyone as of now, especially when Bethesda does not seem to be actively and clearly notifying its customers that they will fix the problem on the PS3. Until then, this is warning to all potential buyers of the PS3 version of Skyrim to avoid buying this game until they fix the lag. Expand
  16. Dec 8, 2011
    Do not buy this version of the game. The game is completely unplayable after 60 hours or 8mbps save file. The lag is unbearable and I am disappointed at the developers. I will be returning this game and getting it for my box. My buddy has 120 hours on the xbox and it is just fine. Awful! Thank you Bethesda.
  17. Dec 9, 2011
    When the lag starts you better return your copy.It's unplayable.Bethesda doesn't hear or care for us.DO NOT BUY THIS GAME.It's not the bugs,nor the glitches,mamoth lag can ruin your enjoyement and your ps3,after your save file hits a certain MB extent.There will be no fix,nor any further improvement just DLC.
  18. Dec 9, 2011
    Do not buy this version of the game. The game is completely unplayable after 60 hours or 8mbps save file. The lag is unbearable and I am disappointed at the developers. I will be returning this game.SKYRIM PS3 VERSION IS BROKEN
  19. Dec 9, 2011
    this game is an unplayable pile of bugs and lag, bethesda stole our money. they knew it had a problem and they did nothing about it at all. dont waste your money, it will be cash down the toilet
  20. Dec 18, 2011
    PS3 owners should boycott Bethesda until they start releasing products that are done.This game is awful,it lags a lot and freezes after some hour of playing.Quests are borken too,but that's not the problem,the game is unplayable even if you just do free roaming...
  21. Dec 18, 2011
    Skyrim had the potential to be the game of the decade but not any more.I have to mention that still after three patches there are many problems.After my save game data reach 7 MB, the game have become so laggy that it's still after 3 patches unplayable.This game is broken...
  22. Dec 22, 2011
    Runs fine at first, but then turns into a stuttering slide-show mess complete with random freezes. And this is on top of the hundreds of broken quests that leave you angry enough to go on the internet and complain.
  23. Dec 8, 2011
    Skyrim has the promise to be the best game of 2011, BUT!! the game on ps3 has been realeased with so many game breaker bugs its unplayable, worst of all most of the problems don't present untill you have invest alot of time and love into you character and game world leaving you with a feeling you have just been robbed, i would have waited for a working game and lavished the love itSkyrim has the promise to be the best game of 2011, BUT!! the game on ps3 has been realeased with so many game breaker bugs its unplayable, worst of all most of the problems don't present untill you have invest alot of time and love into you character and game world leaving you with a feeling you have just been robbed, i would have waited for a working game and lavished the love it deserved instead i'm left wondering if i'll ever see the end of this title or want to Expand
  24. Dec 18, 2011
    LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAG
    FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    This game is broken,its full of bugs.60$ for nothing,such a failure...
  25. Dec 18, 2011
    This game is broken.DO NOT BUY this game.LAGS FREEZES,it can ruin your ps3 and mess up your HDD.DO NOT buy this game until bethesda fix it.The craptastic framerate literally sucks every ounce of enjoyment out of the game for me. The lag pops up no matter what I'm doing, whether it be dragon hunting, exploration, or just hanging out at the thieve's guild. Instead of thinking about theThis game is broken.DO NOT BUY this game.LAGS FREEZES,it can ruin your ps3 and mess up your HDD.DO NOT buy this game until bethesda fix it.The craptastic framerate literally sucks every ounce of enjoyment out of the game for me. The lag pops up no matter what I'm doing, whether it be dragon hunting, exploration, or just hanging out at the thieve's guild. Instead of thinking about the game's positive points, I'm stuck thinking about stutters, freezes, online updates that somehow manage make the game even buggier. Expand
  26. Dec 19, 2011
    This WOULD be an amazing game if it actually worked. The PS3 version is riddled with crippling lag that only rears its head after your save file increases to around 8mb. Then comes the slideshow, the crashing, the freezes, and the grief at loosing a character and plot line you were invested in. The worst part is that Bethesda is trying to shut their eyes and ignore the problem. BeThis WOULD be an amazing game if it actually worked. The PS3 version is riddled with crippling lag that only rears its head after your save file increases to around 8mb. Then comes the slideshow, the crashing, the freezes, and the grief at loosing a character and plot line you were invested in. The worst part is that Bethesda is trying to shut their eyes and ignore the problem. Be warned. Your money will be taken, you will feel mad, the company that released this buggy mess will scorn you. Abandon hope all ye who enter here. Plus if you keep playing it through the crashes it could destroy your PS3. Expand
  27. Dec 22, 2011
    shame
    Bethesda sells a broken game, does not give any explanation and worst they knew that sold an unfinished game...
    42 days have passed, zero replies, zero solutions.
  28. May 2, 2012
    Skyrim should have gotten a 9 or a 10 from me. I'm STILL playing it right now. However, the PS3 version was unacceptably flawed at release. It's making me reconsider ever pre-ordering from Bethesda again, which is a shame because now that the bugs are fixed, Skyrim is probably the best RPG I have every played.
  29. Dec 31, 2011
    Average game ruined by game-breaking glitches. It's disgusting to believe Bethesda released this game knowing full well it wasn't even playable. Any positive reviews (especially those giving 10/10) given by critics are more than likely on the Bethesda payroll and to never be trusted for game reviews ever again. Play Fallout, same game, less bugs/glitches.
  30. Jan 5, 2012
    A complete buggy broken down mess. From falling through the ground into limbo, to trying to complete a quest where all you need to do is talk to someone and the game wont read the quest as completed which alternately ruins the game and forces you to start over in hope that it doesn't happen again! >:( . Get the PC version and be done with it.
  31. Dec 29, 2011
    Don't buy this game. It won't work properly and you'll be left feeling ripped off, betrayed and frustrated. I will happily rescind my rating when the game-breaking bugs are patched, but until then, this game deserves nothing more than a big fat donut.
  32. Dec 30, 2011
    It was highly unethical for Bethesda to release this as a PS3 port, they should be stripped of their business licence! The game is utterly unplayable, and this AFTER becoming thoroughly hooked to it's infectious gameplay!
  33. Jan 2, 2012
    This game is absolutely broken for the PlayStation. Anyone with a decent gaming rig should be hard pressed to buy this game for PC before they consider buying this for PlayStation. The problem is not with the game itself but rather with the huge amount of game breaking bugs that it contains. If your save file size gets past about 8 megs you should expect to experience significant lag inThis game is absolutely broken for the PlayStation. Anyone with a decent gaming rig should be hard pressed to buy this game for PC before they consider buying this for PlayStation. The problem is not with the game itself but rather with the huge amount of game breaking bugs that it contains. If your save file size gets past about 8 megs you should expect to experience significant lag in the gameplay which makes the game just about unplayable. To give you an idea of how long it takes to get to that size of a save file I would say that it comes to about 4 hours of gameplay. Obviously no where near enough time to explore everything this game has to offer. Anyone who has ever played games by this developer will know that this are problems that continue to pop up in every title they release. Next time, SERIOUSLY wait a few days to see if a Bethesda game is worth getting because so far every game I have ever bought from them ends up containing game breaking lag.I have only played the game for a few hours since I can't get any further and I am seriously disappointed and wish I had my money back. Expand
  34. Jul 20, 2012
    meh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it. This hasmeh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it. This has since been fixed in various patches but I don't like the mentality of newer game devs "hey lets just release an unfinished product and make a patch for it later if they notice". It's just downright lazy. Expand
  35. Dec 9, 2011
    I should have learned from playing Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas. Bethesda NEVER fixes the lag problems and glitches for PS3 owners. This game is the worst of them all. After about 30 hours and a 6 meg file, there are constant framerate issues, texture drops and system lockups which will kill your PS3 in the long run. They make terrific, engaging games but their lack of concern for PS3I should have learned from playing Fallout 3 and Fallout:New Vegas. Bethesda NEVER fixes the lag problems and glitches for PS3 owners. This game is the worst of them all. After about 30 hours and a 6 meg file, there are constant framerate issues, texture drops and system lockups which will kill your PS3 in the long run. They make terrific, engaging games but their lack of concern for PS3 owners is deplorable. If Bethesda doesn't fix the lag issue once and for all, these guys should be taken to court for continually selling and marketing broken games. I want my $60 back! Expand
  36. Dec 18, 2011
    The lag slowly creeps up on you and when the file continues to grow it increasingly becomes more noticeable. What starts out as a great came essentially becomes a bad game as you continue to progress and enjoy this game. You hard efforts are essentially rewarded with framerate issues and horrible lag making you regret getting the game in the first place. I personally recommend you dontThe lag slowly creeps up on you and when the file continues to grow it increasingly becomes more noticeable. What starts out as a great came essentially becomes a bad game as you continue to progress and enjoy this game. You hard efforts are essentially rewarded with framerate issues and horrible lag making you regret getting the game in the first place. I personally recommend you dont even rent the game because of its problems, so dont buy this game. This game clearly didnt get the proper Q/A it needed otherwise Id be giving it a good review Expand
  37. Dec 19, 2011
    Game is broken, simple as that. After the latest and useless patch, 1.3 , my game freezes instantly and I won't even play it now because I'm worried that too many hard shutdowns will damage my PS3. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME
  38. Dec 27, 2011
    I can not in good conscience recommend this game to anyone for the ps3. Do a simple search for Skyrim ps3 and see how many people suffer from the 'isolated' lag issue only a 'few people are experiencing'. It is not a matter of if you will face these problems it's a matter of when.

I've had the game since 11/11/11. It was amazing at the beginning but has deteriorated into a picture slideshow. It's impossible to navigate through any of the cities with the lag hitting even out in the wilderness nowhere near any hold.

The fixes to help gameplay? Turn off auto-save? I would not recommend this as the game will regularly freeze at loading screens causing a data loss based on how long it's been since the last manual save.

I believe Bethesda knew of this problem. 1. Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas, using a similar engine and supervised by Bethesda, had the same problems with lag later in the game. The problem was never fixed.

2. Reviewers, such as IGN, received PC and XBOX-360 copies of Skyrim only. No-one was given a copy of the PS3 to try prior to release.

Three patches so far and the problem persists. I fear that if their record holds true the lag will never be fixed, we will simply see 'working to improve' or 'attempting to reduce' lag, so that when it fails they can simply say at the end of the day 'we tried'. Do not buy this.
  39. Feb 8, 2012
    This game can become very boring very quickly and in a very unspectacular way, if I were to sum it up in one word (no it would not be dragons but) grinding. I looked at my quest list because I didn't like the one I was on and they all involved going into a cave and getting something stupid like someones sword. Depite bethesda saying each dungeon was different and hand crafted there allThis game can become very boring very quickly and in a very unspectacular way, if I were to sum it up in one word (no it would not be dragons but) grinding. I looked at my quest list because I didn't like the one I was on and they all involved going into a cave and getting something stupid like someones sword. Depite bethesda saying each dungeon was different and hand crafted there all overly similar and long, sometimes and hour long (true story). The combat feels very floaty and if it weren't for the blood and health bar I would be convinced I wasn't doing anything. But those are the two biggest problems I can think of. Oh wait I just remembered the graphics, which look fine close up and far away look terrible mid distance you can see the repetitive layer square of mud repeat itself with over and over. apart from those three thing it's just little things like every shop keeper saying the same thing and a few glitches. I'm not going to mention frame rate (even though I have the disease) because unlike most reviewers I'm aware it doesn't effect everyone and they're supposed to be working on a patch. In fact the problems happen around 40 hours in which is conveniently the time you get completly bored of it and cringe at the thought of spending another ten minutes there. The best thing about the game doesn't even require you to buy the game but instead listen to people experiences which is what made me want it so much (turns out they were over exagerating). I like the thought of this game but after playing it you'll be questioning how over hyped this game was. It might just be me because the only RPG games I have played before were mass effect 2 and deus ex but try stealing it of a friend for the weekend, they'll probably be more then happy to not have to think about it. Expand
  40. Dec 27, 2011
    Please do not be fooled by the critic reviews. There are so many bugs to the Playstation 3 version of Skyrim. Bethesda does not care about it at all. If you happen to own an Xbox as well as a Playstation 3, get Skyrim for the Xbox.
  41. Dec 7, 2011
    This game, when it works, is a masterpiece and my favorite game of the year easily. Unfortunately, the game only lasts for a fraction of time before it becomes unplayable. If the broken quests don't get you then the lag will. Nothing like paying $60 for a game you can't play.
  42. Dec 9, 2011
    There are too many issues with this game and should never have been released until they were fixed. The lag was bad but the longer I played the worse it got, now they game will not play. I load the game play for 5 min and freeze.
  43. Jan 3, 2012
    AMAZING game. When it works. Which it stops doing after a while and becomes unplayable. And when I say unplayable, I dont mean it as hyperbole or exaggeration. It is literally unplayable. It could have been the best game of this generation, certainly of the year, but it is fatally broken and now serves no purpose to me other than looking good on the shelf.
  44. Dec 23, 2011
    Got to agree with most people, fantastic game and value 150 hours so far, but someone needs to be taken out an shot, simple as that, whoever yeah just release it with all the bugs etc. Kill him!!! Cause that what I felt like doing every time it crashes.
  45. Jan 9, 2012
    Dear Bethesda......... I'm used to bugs in your games (I think everyone is!). I'm also mostly OK with the outdated tech, the clunky combat, the poor dialogue, and all the other staples of your games since Oblivion, because you do know how to make a good game world, and for that I can overlook a lot of issues. ........... However, what I cannot overlook is that this game is BROKEN on PS3.Dear Bethesda......... I'm used to bugs in your games (I think everyone is!). I'm also mostly OK with the outdated tech, the clunky combat, the poor dialogue, and all the other staples of your games since Oblivion, because you do know how to make a good game world, and for that I can overlook a lot of issues. ........... However, what I cannot overlook is that this game is BROKEN on PS3. Broken meaning 'does not work'. At all. As in, 7 to 0 FPS during combat. .......... Next time, if you know you can't make a PS3 version without it being literally worthless (except for the opening 20 hours or so) then just don't release it on Playstation. It would hurt us PS3 owners, but not as much as the false hope this broken port gives. -Loco Expand
  46. Dec 25, 2011
    If you are buying this for PS3, this gets a 0. Full of framerate lag and crashes.

If you are buying this for the 360, this gets a 9.5, GOTY.

If you are buying this for the PC, it gets a 10 thanks to the mods, which make Skyrim the definite GOTY.
  47. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim has much potential but the game has too many flaws to be given a 10. Fix the flaws Bugthesda! Broken quests, bugs and reoccurring lag kills immersion and shouldn't be tolerated by consumers. Sell me a game that works as advertised.
  48. Dec 28, 2011
    Such a shame. I love the game and hate the problems. I'm having a problem with the framerate, the framerate is so low that I could trip over it, making it unplayable. PS3 version of the game is broken. Anyone who is thinking about buying, DO NOT BUY!
  49. Dec 9, 2011
    This thing is not a game.Game is something you can paly with.Skyrim is unplayable.Don't listen to lies except if you have SSD.IN any other case DO NOT BUY Skyrim.It's broken,really broken.You cannot play more than 20 hours without problems hit you and they will you hit you hard trust me...
  50. Dec 18, 2011
    The more u play the game the more it lags till eventually becomes un-playable. and what makes it worse is bethesda are failing to acknowledge this game breaking flaw. all those who suffered bad lag in fallout should know this game is worse and happens a lot earlier.
  51. Dec 22, 2011
    **** this ****en fairytale game who the **** wants to fight with little ****en trolls dont buy this game its for little **** also why is this game of the year it should not even be in the top 100000000000000 games
  52. Dec 7, 2011
    Great game, terrible port. Skyrim is a beautiful game, and like its predecessors, the glitches in the game are something that we've grown to tolerate. In a game that has the sheer size of Skyrim, glitches are unavoidable and often adds a bit of unpredictable and often hilarious edge to the game. What is not hilarious though is when your game effectively has a time limit, and which afterGreat game, terrible port. Skyrim is a beautiful game, and like its predecessors, the glitches in the game are something that we've grown to tolerate. In a game that has the sheer size of Skyrim, glitches are unavoidable and often adds a bit of unpredictable and often hilarious edge to the game. What is not hilarious though is when your game effectively has a time limit, and which after that point turns into a powerpoint slideshow. And to make matters worse, when a game has a fault of this magnitude that affects a huge portion of the PS3 players, you would think Bethesda would issue some kind of statement of apology. Instead they refute claims that a large portion of players are experiencing problems, take 3 weeks to issue a patch that only makes matter worse to another large portion of the people who were initially facing problems, and then tells them that a fix will not be coming in the near future. A company clearly fuelled by monetary gain and no care for what they see as a problematic and ungrateful player base. It is such a shame as the game is beautiful on the other two platforms, and also on the PS3 while it still works. Expand
  53. Jan 27, 2012
    I got this for Christmas and have spent well in excess of 60 hours playing thus far. There are bugs that mess up some quests. But if you save often and recognize what's going on then you can usually go back and remedy it. But that is a valid complaint against this game. I am not having lagging problems. My friends report, though I have not oft experienced, the game simply freezing up.I got this for Christmas and have spent well in excess of 60 hours playing thus far. There are bugs that mess up some quests. But if you save often and recognize what's going on then you can usually go back and remedy it. But that is a valid complaint against this game. I am not having lagging problems. My friends report, though I have not oft experienced, the game simply freezing up. I got that a great deal with Oblivion. Not so much in Skyrim. I never lower the difficulty of a game, but I have friends that like that feature of this game. But those flaws notwithstanding, Skyrim is a beautiful, expansive and amazing game. I know the main story is short and i have not resumed it since I identified it. There are great puzle challenges, difficult battles, the freedom to create any kind of character you want and a thorough method of gaining experience. I truly love this game, notwithstanding its flaws. Expand
  54. Apr 3, 2012
    Skyrim is a difficult game to review. It has been the bearer of the single worst technical glitch that I have ever seen in a game. After I invested a large amount of time in it, the game re-payed me by becoming totally unplayable. The frame-rate dropped to a virtual standstill and the game would crash repeatedly. The result of which led Skyrim to become an unexpected dust-gatherer. But...Skyrim is a difficult game to review. It has been the bearer of the single worst technical glitch that I have ever seen in a game. After I invested a large amount of time in it, the game re-payed me by becoming totally unplayable. The frame-rate dropped to a virtual standstill and the game would crash repeatedly. The result of which led Skyrim to become an unexpected dust-gatherer. But... I recently returned to Skyrim after a few months away to find the problems patched and the game actually playable again. Can I let bygones be bygones? Can I set aside all that frustration and truly accept Skyrim for what it is and not what it once was? If it wasn't one of the best RPG's of all time, the answer would be a huge NO. But it is, so maybe I can. Skyrim offers unparalleled depth and an almost infinite playtime. You can loose yourself in this world for whole days without batting an eye. It is, quite simply, one of the most immersive, brilliant games ever made. Expand
  55. Apr 25, 2012
    You can play and interpret it any way you want. This is Skyrim's ultimate joy. For me, the game is a nature simulator. There is nothing like wandering into the mountains to listen to the wind rustle amongst the trees, moon rising in the night sky, snow crunching under your weary feet. Somber music swells in the background from some unseen orchestra, and a deer scurries by delicately.You can play and interpret it any way you want. This is Skyrim's ultimate joy. For me, the game is a nature simulator. There is nothing like wandering into the mountains to listen to the wind rustle amongst the trees, moon rising in the night sky, snow crunching under your weary feet. Somber music swells in the background from some unseen orchestra, and a deer scurries by delicately. Everything is serene and there is no reason to kill a thing. I Expand
  56. Mar 11, 2012
    If you happen to have a spare 100 hours or so then you are definitely going to want to pick this game up. I found myself so immersed in Skyrim that I could spend a whole day playing, and still not want to put the controller down; which doesn't happen to me very often these days. The constellation leveling system works very well and I had a great time building up my character to suit myIf you happen to have a spare 100 hours or so then you are definitely going to want to pick this game up. I found myself so immersed in Skyrim that I could spend a whole day playing, and still not want to put the controller down; which doesn't happen to me very often these days. The constellation leveling system works very well and I had a great time building up my character to suit my playing style. The world of Skyrim is massive, to put it lightly, and there are always new places to find and new side quests to stumble upon. The lore behind The Elder Scrolls is fascinating and you can't help but get sucked into the atmosphere of the game. The music is brilliant and is everything you'd hope for in a fantasy epic. Sure there were problems when the game was released, but they've been fixed now. However, the reason I'm giving it an 8 is because releasing a game that isn't finished just isn't acceptable. But all in all, Skyrim is a must play for any adventure fans out there. Expand
  57. Dec 26, 2011
    There so many problems in the PS3 version and they are so serious that it's as if we, the customers, paid to be Bethesda's beta testers... because its obvious very little time was spent on the PS3 "port" prior to release. And to top it all off, the more time you spend playing the game, the further you get, and the larger your save file grows... the choppier and less playable the gameThere so many problems in the PS3 version and they are so serious that it's as if we, the customers, paid to be Bethesda's beta testers... because its obvious very little time was spent on the PS3 "port" prior to release. And to top it all off, the more time you spend playing the game, the further you get, and the larger your save file grows... the choppier and less playable the game becomes. To the point where the game becomes an unplayable slideshow.Don't buy this game Expand
  58. Dec 26, 2011
    You will love this game but not for too long...After some time 20,30,60.70 hours it doesn't matter,you will regret buying it.Trust me.I 've enjoyed ths game so much but not any more.It became unplayable.Patch 1.3 didn't fix anything and patch 1.4 won't make difference because i'll sell it.I am done with Skyrim.
  59. Jan 22, 2012
    i am a huge fan of bethseda games and must say this game gave me my expectetions and much more. the game is flowing with content either side quests or just rummaging around for tresure it really does the series justice. the controls are simple and easy to use making combat so much better and the landsape itself is sooo well detailed. now here are the downsides. the charecter creation isi am a huge fan of bethseda games and must say this game gave me my expectetions and much more. the game is flowing with content either side quests or just rummaging around for tresure it really does the series justice. the controls are simple and easy to use making combat so much better and the landsape itself is sooo well detailed. now here are the downsides. the charecter creation is good but not really good. a big improvement from oblivions but it just dont feel like i can make the charecter i want. the story isnt as good as what oblivions is, its a good setup and charecters are ok, but not great. there are glicthes and bugs in the game that bring it down such as broken quests, texture slowdowns nd soo on and so on. netherless with so many intresting quests and places, youll spend so much hours into the game. Expand
  60. Dec 24, 2011
    very disappointed with lag and other glitches - can't believe the camera in the opening cut scene was not even attached correctly... This is one I won't finish...
  61. Dec 26, 2011
    Skyrim could have been a masterpiece. Beautiful scenery, phenomenal quests, fantastic controls, and an intriguing storyline, that is, until you reach the bugs. The lag makes the game absolutely unplayable. After constant hard resets, soft resets, and creating over ten characters, I'm calling this game and Bethesda, a disgrace. It's utterly unbelievable that a company could release such anSkyrim could have been a masterpiece. Beautiful scenery, phenomenal quests, fantastic controls, and an intriguing storyline, that is, until you reach the bugs. The lag makes the game absolutely unplayable. After constant hard resets, soft resets, and creating over ten characters, I'm calling this game and Bethesda, a disgrace. It's utterly unbelievable that a company could release such an unfinished product. They didn't even preview the game on the PS3! They claim to have tested it many times with bots for weeks to find any bugs. How in the world could that be possible when I can create a character and in less than an hour, be plagued by them? This has happened with Oblivion, Fallout, and now Skyrim. It took them nearly a year to fix most of the bugs in Oblivion, yet there are some that they still have not fixed and have given up on. Get your crap together Bethesda and do what is right by the consumer. If this isn't fixed soon, it will undoubtedly be the last product I will every buy from Bethesda. Expand
  62. Dec 27, 2011
    Game of the year? Studio of the year?

Yeah, while all of Bethesda's PS3 fans are sitting on their $60 coaster, they are on a nice vacation over the holidays. Why should they care that they knowingly sold a broken product, they already have our money. Absolutely pathetic. This version of the game deserves nothing more than a 0. It is unplayable. Anyone giving it a higher score has either
    Game of the year? Studio of the year?

Absolutely pathetic. This version of the game deserves nothing more than a 0. It is unplayable. Anyone giving it a higher score has either never played the PS3 version, or hasn't played it long enough to realize it's completely broken.

Bethesda can fix this game with another patch (Or they'll face lawsuits), but it doesn't matter. They've already shown how incompetent and uncaring they are towards their fans.
  63. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is what i have been waiting for in an RPG. Total freedom and choice at what quest to do, where to go, and when to complete quests, total freedom. Epic looking armor and weapons. Simple combat. Seamless menus. 200+ locations/dungeons to explore. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay with the possibility of endless quests. Top notch graphics. Epic battles with huge dragonsThis game is what i have been waiting for in an RPG. Total freedom and choice at what quest to do, where to go, and when to complete quests, total freedom. Epic looking armor and weapons. Simple combat. Seamless menus. 200+ locations/dungeons to explore. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay with the possibility of endless quests. Top notch graphics. Epic battles with huge dragons that, if not paying attention, you can "wake" one up without realizing it until the dragon is spitting fire down your neck and when you finally realize what is going on it results in one of the most epic battles (actually happened to me, dragon was resting on a Shout wall and guarding a coffin i didnt see him). Why after all this did i give it a 3 you ask? Lets see, the threat of ruining your ps3, chronic freezing, unbearable lag, broken quests, reloading, reloading and reloading saves, and starting new characters hoping that you wont get one bug just to get another...yes it is a huge game but that does not mean that any developer should sell a broken game, that is what they pay QA testers for. There is no excuse. Period. The fact that it is a huge, complex game should tell them hey, we need to test even more. GOTY? Studio of the Year? 10/10? 100/100 "a masterpiece" ? I would agree 100% if the game worked. The fact is it does not and even more so on the ps3. If you follow IGN there was an article titled "Skyrim Lag: How The Hell Did This Happen?" which is what every video game review web site should be writing about, not, "Skyrim is a masterpiece" when clearly it is not, but, that is my opinion. Expand
  64. Dec 29, 2011
    I bought this game because I wanted to try something different and move away from shooters for a while and move on to a RPG title and I'm slightly disappointed with what it delivers I get it that you can pick up things it a huge open world and theres dragons which fly about and a million characters to speak to but behind all of that is a very ugly game and plays like a drunk fat man itsI bought this game because I wanted to try something different and move away from shooters for a while and move on to a RPG title and I'm slightly disappointed with what it delivers I get it that you can pick up things it a huge open world and theres dragons which fly about and a million characters to speak to but behind all of that is a very ugly game and plays like a drunk fat man its very glitchy and very clunky. this game did not deserve game of the year it was all a bit over hyped and bethesda needs to rethink their strategy. But if you enjoy this game keep playing because it does appeal to players more than others. Expand
  65. Mar 11, 2012
    This is my first written review, and in my enthusiasm I forgot to place my rating. I don't know how the red empty circle got there, but I really want it to be a big, green circle containing the number 10. Genius, even with a few flaws and glitches, is still genius. The imagination and absolute talent of the guys at Bethesda is staggering, to say the least.
  66. Apr 29, 2013
    Skyrim leaves the lasting impression that it truly will be a game that doesn’t end, a never ending story if you will, and it creates the sort of vibrant world that you know will continue to exist even after you have decided to no longer take part in its wondrous offerings of freedom and fantasy.
    The most surreal thing about playing such an expansive and sprawling world is the fact that while playing it, I truly wanted to get lost in this realm of Tamriel, whether it was pacing through the snow in Winterhold or standing atop the waterfall-laden city of Markarth, there is such an endless amount of sight-seeing and exploration to be had in this game before you even consider the stories being told.
    Without delving too much into the main quest, simply because there are that many side missions and stories that it seems unfair to dwell, your character is in fact a Dragonborn, and of course dragons seem to have returned to Skyrim for unknown reasons, and you are tasked with finding out the nature of their visit, but also try and heal relations between The Imperials and the Stormcloak rebellion. But of course our own Dragonborn must deal with everything else that he is being tasked with around this fast land.
    Whether you are learning a ‘Dragon Shout” or simply taking out your sword for close combat, the opportunities are endless as to what can be achieved in the remarkable game.
    As our hero is tasked with these shouts, which enable him to reach into the very soul of the dragons and basically use their powers, clear the sky of a storm, create a thunderstorm, breathe fire or even call a fallen soldier to your aid, these are all options, and that is only shouts, not magic. Magic can be used through Ice, Lightning or even Fire, whether your’e simply wanting to inflame a wolf who is giving you grief or go to extreme lengths and try to take down a dragon, the supernatural means are all on offer.
    The customisation of your character is indeed endless, after picking from a vast array of races, you can begin upgrading your character with anything you can get your hands on.
    Walk around in a simple rag if you want to, or why not join the Thieves Guild, work your way up and possess the fantastic Nightingale armour, or even steal the clothing from an Imperial guard, along with his gold, a key to his chest or even a house.
    But why stop there? Why not buy your very own property? Kit it out with whatever is on offer and even store all your baggage that you don’t want to sell or get rid of but simply cannot carry it anymore. The game truly offers another life for you to take control of and do as you see fit.
    But of course a game this vast and sprawling doesn’t come without its own baggage, and unfortunately this fifth entry into the Elder Scrolls universe is not without its problems. In terms of gameplay, the movement itself of NPCs and yourself still aren’t on par with games of the same generation, and the combat is in the most sincere way, woeful. Bethesda still cannot seem to incorporate a workable and enjoyable style of hand to hand combat without it looking tired and annoying, shields and swords are heavily upgradeable, but I found myself managing to come into possession of a wonderful sword, but equipping it to one hand with a fireball spell on the other, the motion of fighting is still very dark-age looking and should be given more time to improve upon. The game does also come with gltiches a plenty, and while some are just plain hilarious (getting thrown 100 feet in the air simply by falling from my horse) most are frustrating to the point of having to restart the console or last save game.
    But these little inklings aside, Skyrim itself is just bursting with untainted beauty. Staring out at the glaciers in the distance, sure just go for a walk to them and bathe in the environment around you, there is the best chance that you will encounter a side mission that just might sound interesting, retrieve a book from a derelict cave or go and do the bidding of a god. When this much detail goes into a game, it would just be insulting not to give it a try, with epic needing to be used in every sentence about this wonderful fantasy, it truly is one of the best games to ever grace a console, and will be enough to keep many occupied for a long time to come.
  67. Jan 13, 2013
    I'm glad I waited a year to buy and play this game, as it appears I'm not dealing with any of the bugs so many people have complained of. It's a great game in many respects. Beautiful graphics, great soundtrack, immersive storyline, and very involved experience and item creation system. The only complaint I have is many of the quests are pretty much exactly the same with differentI'm glad I waited a year to buy and play this game, as it appears I'm not dealing with any of the bugs so many people have complained of. It's a great game in many respects. Beautiful graphics, great soundtrack, immersive storyline, and very involved experience and item creation system. The only complaint I have is many of the quests are pretty much exactly the same with different dialogue: something happens, you have to go get something, it's in a dungeon filled with zombies. It can make parts of the game a bit tedious. But it's still one of those games that you can sit down and play all day, then think about it all next day while you're at work. That has to count for something. Expand
  68. Apr 7, 2012
    I refrained from playing Skyrim for a while while the problems were patched. But now as I play it, I realized I have wasted the past few months NOT PLAYING IT. It is a phenomenon, and a MetaScore as poor as 5.4 is a travesty! People, what doesn't this game give you? Huge roaming space, millions of NPCS to meet and dragons to fight. I understand the game had issues and that was unforgivableI refrained from playing Skyrim for a while while the problems were patched. But now as I play it, I realized I have wasted the past few months NOT PLAYING IT. It is a phenomenon, and a MetaScore as poor as 5.4 is a travesty! People, what doesn't this game give you? Huge roaming space, millions of NPCS to meet and dragons to fight. I understand the game had issues and that was unforgivable AT THE TIME. But come to your senses, and come back to Tamriel. Now with the fixed lag issues, you won't regret your stay. Expand
  69. Jan 17, 2012
    So you can just go ahead and ignore all the ignorant people posting 0's on here, since it's obvious they're just made about the issues this game has. Yes there are bugs, yes there are framerate issues, yes there are some annoying aspects of the game, but overall, I judge a game based on its merits as a game, and in no way do these bugs take away from the overall quality of this game.So you can just go ahead and ignore all the ignorant people posting 0's on here, since it's obvious they're just made about the issues this game has. Yes there are bugs, yes there are framerate issues, yes there are some annoying aspects of the game, but overall, I judge a game based on its merits as a game, and in no way do these bugs take away from the overall quality of this game. Best graphics in the Elder Scrolls series, the best streamlined interface yet for Elder Scrolls, and the best overall story. Morrowind had better atmosphere, but Skyrim has the more immersive gameplay. Combat could be better, but magic usage is much better than previous iterations. Not GOTY, but one of the best of 2011. Expand
  70. Feb 17, 2013
    It's so ridiculous that this game could possibly receive any high scores on the ps3 version. The game could be the best game ever invented but what good does that do you when bugs prevent you from even playing the game as intended? This game loses at least 3 points on the numerous bugs/freezes/lag problems preventing you from playing the game in the first place alone. I can not possiblyIt's so ridiculous that this game could possibly receive any high scores on the ps3 version. The game could be the best game ever invented but what good does that do you when bugs prevent you from even playing the game as intended? This game loses at least 3 points on the numerous bugs/freezes/lag problems preventing you from playing the game in the first place alone. I can not possibly rate the game higher than a 7 on that. Just so you know, I am not a TES fanboy so I can give you a more objective view on what you old bitter vets just need to face the reality on....I'm just going to say what you guys won't admit....combat in Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim is still the same awkward, clunky, piece of garbage and needs to be completely scratched imo. Yes the exploration in this game is absolutely AMAZING!! I give this a game 5 points just for the vast beautiful world you get to explore. Immersion is definitely one of the main strong suits for this game. I really feel like I'm a part of this world. But again, the combat system ruins the game even though the bugs/gliches/freezes do a good job of that to begin with. I know all the bitter vets will turn their noses up and cry like little babies but can you imagine a combat system similar to a Kingdoms of Amalur but in the world of TES?! I would go ahead and throw all my money at Bethesda right now lol Just quit giving us unfinished work! I put over 100 hours into this game, but let's be honest, at LEAST 50 hours of that was in menus changing spells/weapons/potions etc or looking at the map, or the worst....on a loading screen...
    This game gets the rating it gets because the immersion and exploration are worth buying the game for alone. I would just recommend playing an archer only so the combat won't feel so awkward.
  71. Mar 1, 2012
    Lots of people have rated this game bad, saying that its boring and glitchy. theres a name for these people, IDIOTS. Skyrim is possibly one of the best games ever created, with a beautifully huge open world to explore. thousands of individually crafted NPCs, each with there own back story and quests to give. the game play works perfectly and can be altered to you play style. the 200 hoursLots of people have rated this game bad, saying that its boring and glitchy. theres a name for these people, IDIOTS. Skyrim is possibly one of the best games ever created, with a beautifully huge open world to explore. thousands of individually crafted NPCs, each with there own back story and quests to give. the game play works perfectly and can be altered to you play style. the 200 hours of play time with keep up occupied for a long time, as you level up you character depending on how you like to play. i strongly suggest that you play this game. Expand
  72. Apr 2, 2012
    I've just started playing Skyrim and even though I hated Fallout 3 by the same guys, I am loving it.
    I know there are some small bugs, even in the early stages but my mate who has the 360 version has also had some problems, so it's not just the PS3.
    The graphics are excellent, the music and effects are very very good. Great locations, interesting characters and a wide range of side quests will keep me playing for a very long time.
    I had just finished Mass Effect 3 and decided to trade it for this, and it wasn't a mistake. I'm still discovering and have just bought my horse to get around easier.
    Even if you don't normally play RPG's you have to try this. Don't give up to early either, it's a massive game and gets better at every turn.
  73. Jun 1, 2012
    I love this game. The music is legendary and awesome. Graphics are some of the best of this generation. You have a vast world to explore, quests to find, do and reap the rewards off. This wouldn't only be addictive. It'll take your entire life away. There is an incomprehensible amount of things to do. Not only that but there is the main storyline, which lasts for 30-40 hours. And evenI love this game. The music is legendary and awesome. Graphics are some of the best of this generation. You have a vast world to explore, quests to find, do and reap the rewards off. This wouldn't only be addictive. It'll take your entire life away. There is an incomprehensible amount of things to do. Not only that but there is the main storyline, which lasts for 30-40 hours. And even after that there are hundred of quests and caves to clear up.I really like the combat, however seems hit and miss at times being like oblivion when I don't feel like I have actually hit the person. third-person though, has been improved, making playing third person in skyrim actually possible, unlike oblivion. The npcs in the game have been improved. They seem more realistic and the towns have more atmosphere to them. You can do a lot of things in the main towns like crafting, enchanting and improving weapons and armour. You buy and sell items you collected on your travels and obtain quests from people in the villages. You can also buy houses for a price. There is also a new and better levelling system that makes you gain xp from using your skills(one-handed, enchanting, smithing,etc.) up to when you level up and so on. The problems I had with the game was that there were a couple of quests that are glitched out and it detracts from the experience. Plus there is the big problem of lag in the game, and it spoils the combat and experience at times. Overall, if you are interested in a medieval adventure RPG I'd recommend you'd check this out. Expand
  74. Jun 10, 2012
    The bugs have been largely excised so do yourself a favor and buy this game!!! No RPG will be able to touch this one for a long, long time. Skyrim deliveries on every level. After several months of play, I'm still discovering new things - just like Oblivion before it.

Do it. You won't be disappointed!
  75. Sep 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meta Critic Review for The Elders scrolls of Skyrim:

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mostly called Skyrim) is an action/role playing open world video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Skyrim was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PS3 and Xbox 360. Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat Alduin, the firstborn of Tamriel's primary deity Akatosh. Alduin is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim, upon the continent of Tamriel, and the planet of Nirn. Skyrim is in the midst of a civil war after the High King fell in a duel against the leader of the Stormcloaks rebel group. The open world game play of the Elder Scrolls series returns in Skyrim; the player can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.
    The nonlinear game play traditional in the Elder Scrolls series is incorporated in Skyrim. The player can explore the open world of Skyrim on foot or on horse and fast-travel to cities, towns, and dungeons after they have been discovered. Quests are given to the player by non-player characters (NPCs) in the world, and through the Radiant Story system, the quests can be dynamically altered to accommodate for player actions which may influence the quest's characters and objectives. The Radiant Story then further directs the player's interaction with the world by setting unexplored dungeons as quest locations. When not completing quests, the player can interact with NPCs through conversation, and they may request favors or training in skills from the player. In addition to scripted quests certain ones will be dynamically generated, providing a limitless number to the player. Some NPCs can become companions to the player to aid in combat. The player may choose to join factions, which are organized groups of NPCs such as the Dark Brotherhood, a band of assassins. Each of the factions has a headquarters, and they have their own quest paths which the player can progress through. The economy of cities and towns can be stimulated by completing jobs such as Skyrim on the Elder Scrolls map farming and mining, or spending large amounts of gold in the stores. Alternatively, the economy may be harmed by forging business ledgers and robbing the safes of stores. When exploring the game world, the player may encounter wildlife. Many wilderness monsters are immediately hostile towards the player and thus can be slain. The inclusion of Dragons in Skyrim affords a major influence on both story and game play.

So the next game in the series was released nearly a year ago, so where does it stand in the ratings currently, well in my opinion it should stay at 75/100 just for PS3. Yes Bethesda has managed to fix most of its bugs but where is the DLC for it? Dawnguard has been on X-box and pc for more than 4 months now and all Bethesda can say is
  76. Nov 25, 2012
    I dont understand all the negative reviews? Everything they say is wrong? I loved this game, it isn't buggy AT ALL, the graphics are AMAZING, The storyline is epic. i loved this game, and i certainly recommend it to everyone who likes RPG Games.
  77. Aug 1, 2014
    While the PS3 version had a lot of issues at launch, along with the issue of the DLC, I'm glad Bethesda was able to sort out all the issues and get it running alright. I say alright because on the PS3 there is minor slowdown and in game freezes along with freezing at the load screen from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, The Elder Scrolls are my favorite game series to date, and I have played Morrowind and Oblivion over 200 hours a piece over the years.

For people who don't know what the game is about, it is different than any other game because of the freedoms you are given as the player. The beginning of the game is the only portion of the game that is linear (and all it really is, is a tutorial anyway). After that, you are free to explore the world in anyway you want. There is a main quest, but really, it's really your choice on what you want to do. If you want to build a fighting character, you can train your Health and Stamina and join the Fighters Guild and do missions that are based on killing stuff along with having a good story in the background. If you want to be a Mage, you train your Magicka and you go to the College of Winterhold and learn different spells that you can use to make your character better. You can also be an assassin, merchant, or a master of apothecary. All in all, it really doesn't matter what you do but personally I like joining the Dark Brotherhood and making an assassin with magical abilities such as invisibility (I've played for over 400 hours over the past two years on the difficulty Master).

That being said, I am not a video game nerd. And there are minor things that I would like to see fixed because I am a hardcore player. That is why I gave my review an 8. Someone new to the series I could see giving the game a 9 or even a 10 if you believe in perfection.

If you are a parent this holiday, I would recommend getting this game over Call Of Duty 14 for your kid if he's 16 to 18. Especially if he gets good grades in school and is a critical thinker because this game requires much more critical thinking than Call Of Duty 14 where you just shoot at people, get shot 1,000 times and don't die. I do understand that this is my personal opinion but Skyrim has won Game Of The Year by multiple publications and is regarded in nerdom as one of the best games ever made.

If your family has a nice computer, and don't live in the 1990's, I would recommend getting it for PC for enhanced graphics and the ability to mod your game which means you can add on to the biggest world ever created for a video game. Heck, you can even put lightsabers in it if you want.

And yes, I do have horns on my forehead. Because I was born that way. How about that Todd Howard.
  78. Mar 11, 2014
    This is how RPGs die; with thunderous applause. What happens when the best open world RPG series ever gets successful? Skyrim. Granted the game looks great and has a very large world to explore but it has been streamlined and dumbed down so much that no true RPG gamer could ever enjoy it.

First of all: NO STATS! I don't know if they thought it was too complicated to add stats for today's ADD riddled gamers or what. But to take out this core mechanic of any RPG worth its salt is unforgivable.
    Second, in an effort to continue to appeal to the lowest denominator of gamers they decided to once again go with "leveling" the world to you. This is a retard ass system and only leads to the high end of the game becoming stagnant and boring.
    Third they replaced actual content with "Radiant Storytelling" which in all reality translates to an infinite number of VERY GENERIC side quests (e.g. Go to location Y to get item X).
    Lastly they have removed almost every level role playing to their "RPG" There is no persuasion skill in the game or any other spells or anything for that matter that does not deal with combat. Also the racial abilities are a joke they have been basically watered down to once-a-day abilities. Seriously this game sucks.
  79. Dec 6, 2011
    I really, really wish I could give this game a better score than this. I wanted Skyrim to be one of the best games I've ever played. I even wanted it to give me a better experience than Oblivion, but I simply cannot bring myself to say so. Sure, Skyrim has all the potential to be an amazing game, there's an expansive world with hundreds of quests and hours upon hours of gameplay. There's aI really, really wish I could give this game a better score than this. I wanted Skyrim to be one of the best games I've ever played. I even wanted it to give me a better experience than Oblivion, but I simply cannot bring myself to say so. Sure, Skyrim has all the potential to be an amazing game, there's an expansive world with hundreds of quests and hours upon hours of gameplay. There's a fantastic skill system that changes based upon your playstyle. There's even a magnificent sense of wonder and excitement exploring the world itself. I want to love this game for all of these an more, but there's just one issue; this is a half-finished game on the PS3. Bethesda really, really dropped the ball on this one. While Skyrim is an ambitious, detailed world with hours of fun packed inside, what use is all of the content when I am screwed out of said enjoyment by a horrendous framerate and numerous, numerous bugs and glitches. I bought this game on midnight release, and for the first 20 hours of gameplay I was just spellbound by the numerous activities and decisions made available to me. This was to be my Game of the Year...until the framerate began to shudder at every turn. "Okay, maybe it's just from playing too much today." I would say, and shut off my system to come back the next day. And sure, the game would run fine for about three hours...and then the framerate would take another dump.
    From there it only progressively got worse as my save file increased from 5 Mb, to 6, to 7...as of now it's reached a massive 12 Mb in size and I can only go about an hour before the framerate chugs along from merely walking to the next town. It's inexcusable, and highly unprofessional that Bethesda gave absolutely no effort in programming Skyrim properly for the PS3 hardware. Sure, they released another patch to deal with the "occasional framerate issues," but all it did was postpone the lag for another hour before it would set in once more, forcing a reset of my system. Apart from the lag, now even more issues such as unfinishable quests and backwards-flying dragons have plagued the game, forcing me to abandon my 90+ hour playthrough altogether. If my story hasn't already given you a good idea of what can be expected of the PS3 Skyrim experience, then you are truly delusional. What Bethesda has done is treated the PS3 fanbase as second-class citizens, and have dodged the real core of the issue altogether by downplaying such a severe issue as "occasional" or only experienced by the "minority of players". This is wholly unprofessional, and proof therefore of a company that really doesn't appear to care about its fanbase at all.
    I really have enjoyed my time with Skyrim, and I truly want to love this game and recommend it to every single one of my friends, but with all of the glitches and bugs found on the PS3 version, I simply cannot recommend the purchase of this game until the issues are fixed (if ever).
  80. Dec 5, 2011
    Skyrim is a wonderful game that was marred by the fact that it has a major gamebreaking bug that was not fixed for 3 games in the row, previous two being the Fallout games. This bug was glossed over by both Bethesda and the media due to review copies mainly consisting of 360 and PC copies, therefore garnering no attention from either side. Buying this game on PS3 is essentially buying aSkyrim is a wonderful game that was marred by the fact that it has a major gamebreaking bug that was not fixed for 3 games in the row, previous two being the Fallout games. This bug was glossed over by both Bethesda and the media due to review copies mainly consisting of 360 and PC copies, therefore garnering no attention from either side. Buying this game on PS3 is essentially buying a timebomb waiting to explode. It's a shame that this bug exists, because this game would've been fantastic and worth the hype for PS3 owners. Instead it's just a blackmark in its library, as well as the media's lack of coverage and Bethesda. Expand
  81. Dec 29, 2011
    Horrible and disapointing game. Skyrim is everything Elder Scrolls fans did not want. Its smaller,stripped,mainstreamed,buggy and ugly game. If this is the new direction of Elder Scrolls then this serie is dead for me. It certainly won my FOTY(Fail of the year) award this year.
  82. Dec 7, 2011
    While I have not experienced the lag yet I have encountered numerous quest bugs that have left me wondering how this game made it past beta. I do not recommend purchasing this game for the Playstation 3.
  83. Sep 21, 2012
    Fun and addictive, awesome and amazing....until you start hearing the same voice actor for the gazzillion time, to kill Blood dragons and die to no-point super overpowered random bandits, killing your own allies over and over with no posibility to revive them and to finally save for that sweet extra strong equipment and still getting killed in 3 hits.

Lag, Freezes,you never get the

Lag, Freezes,you never get the feeling of getting stronger and the PC version getting mods and tons of support, is making Skyrim for the Ps3 an useless junk.
  84. Dec 23, 2011
    This game is broken,avoid it in any case.To release a game that has this type of game breaking bug,it's absurd.The game drops way down to a 0/10, as it becomes unplayable after you reach a certain save file size.
  85. Dec 23, 2011
    Skyrim has been getting nominations for game of the year, I think it would deserve it but there are some major problems.After a certain point the game becomes a little laggy. Then it gets worse.Finally,it gets painful to even attempt playing due to huge frame drops
  86. Dec 23, 2011
    Why this happened?Skyrim, has enjoyed massive sales, skewing reviews, and growing condemnation from irate gamers and a limited number of gaming publications and sites, late to the party, due to an avalanche of bugs and broken content.On the PS3 situation is beyond of being unplayable.Many users and reviewers have touted argumentation that a game with as much vision as Skyrim would be boundWhy this happened?Skyrim, has enjoyed massive sales, skewing reviews, and growing condemnation from irate gamers and a limited number of gaming publications and sites, late to the party, due to an avalanche of bugs and broken content.On the PS3 situation is beyond of being unplayable.Many users and reviewers have touted argumentation that a game with as much vision as Skyrim would be bound to have anomalies and glitches. Expand
  87. Jan 11, 2012
    Played Elder Scrolls since ES1: Arena. This will be my last. Game is broken on PS3 and I'm out $60. Done with Bethesda. Will buy from game companies that actually know how to develop games that work. I don't think buying the game and having to wait for a patch to be able to play it is viable. This game should not have been released.
  88. Jan 13, 2012
    This game should be amazing. It is amazing, but it doesn't work. 2 months on, & still can't play the game. I've had to delete the patches, & installation files multiple times, & re-install them. I've also had to restore the file system on my PS3 3 times because the game keeps hard freezing, & messing up my console. I class myself as lucky if I can get more than 10 minutes into the gameThis game should be amazing. It is amazing, but it doesn't work. 2 months on, & still can't play the game. I've had to delete the patches, & installation files multiple times, & re-install them. I've also had to restore the file system on my PS3 3 times because the game keeps hard freezing, & messing up my console. I class myself as lucky if I can get more than 10 minutes into the game before it just locks up & requires a hard reset to get my console working again. On the plus side, I've only seen the flickbook framerate chug that everbody complains about once, because it doesn't run long enough very often to actually get to that stage.

Once Bethesda "actually" fix this pile of broken, then it will be a wonderful experience well worth paying the money for, but for now, wait for the patch. For offline users, wait for a GOTY edition with all the patches on the disc.
  89. Jan 31, 2012
    Dont listen to any of those idiots saying skyrim is s*** .
    yes, it does lag but no where near as often as they make it out to be.
    Skyrim is one of- if not THE BEST-game ever created.
    you havent lived until youve played it. when you see a person in skyrim you can kill them, pickpocket them, do a quest for them, or befreind them...the choice is yours...
    enough said GET SKYRIM!!!
  90. Feb 16, 2012
    All i have to say is the=is game is nothing short of spectacular. skyrim makes you want to spend 100s of hours in the world created despite all its technical flaws, which have mostly been fixed in the new patch 1.4
  91. May 27, 2012
    Skyrim is the best game I have ever played. But it got a 9/10 because of the vast number of glitches, bugs and missing textures at certain points in the game.
  92. Dec 27, 2011
    They stole my money with one game that doesn't work after 1 GB of saving!! And I have to reset the console many times... I would like my money back!!
  93. Dec 5, 2011
    lovely, expansive, unfortunately broken. its all about the quests, but so many of them are impossible to complete due to 'technical issues' that cannot be fixed by the user on the PS3 - get it on the PC if you have that option, access to the console commands or user made Mods are essential to play it.
  94. Dec 6, 2011
    I have personally enjoyed this game, that is until recently. When I heard all of the horrific stories of frame-rates and complete crashes, I thought, wow, these people are being hypercritical. Upon playing the game more, I have started to slowly experience these game breaking problems. I think that Bethesda has made a wonderful game and I cant wait to really delve into the world of Skyrim,I have personally enjoyed this game, that is until recently. When I heard all of the horrific stories of frame-rates and complete crashes, I thought, wow, these people are being hypercritical. Upon playing the game more, I have started to slowly experience these game breaking problems. I think that Bethesda has made a wonderful game and I cant wait to really delve into the world of Skyrim, but alas until a proper fix is in place, that will have to wait. On the brighter side of things, what I did experience were great visuals and breathtaking landscapes. There doesn't seem to be much variety in the enemy category, however, the fighting and magic skills seem tight and responsive. There isn't a vast depth to the crafting system or the marriage system for that matter which will disappoint in the end. Overall, there is a great game waiting to be played, however long it takes to have it properly fixed. If you have not purchased the game as of yet, wait for a while and pay attention to forums and blogs to stay informed of future fixes. Expand
  95. Feb 17, 2012
    i already reviewed this but after seeing all the trolls on here i have to re-submit. me and many of my friends played this game for many, many hours on ps3. i played it over 140 hours myself. yes, there was some frame-rate and other minor stuff but considering how literally HUGE this game is it is just not that big of a deal. i'll bet at least half of these people giving the game 0 on herei already reviewed this but after seeing all the trolls on here i have to re-submit. me and many of my friends played this game for many, many hours on ps3. i played it over 140 hours myself. yes, there was some frame-rate and other minor stuff but considering how literally HUGE this game is it is just not that big of a deal. i'll bet at least half of these people giving the game 0 on here are just repeating what they've heard and not even trying the game. it's a great game, maybe the best ever. if you like rpgs you HAVE TO play this or you are missing out on the best. period. haters go get your platinum trophies (like me) and then tell me the game doesn't work. Expand
  96. Dec 13, 2011
    I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Skyrim is a decent enough game- it has a big open world thats fun to explore, lots of sidequests, etc. You've got to deal with some flawed mechanics, such as horrid combat and ugly NPC behavior, but thats nothing new for Bethesda. The story is decent, but it's got nothing on a good RPG like Final Fantasy. No, what sucks here is the sheer glitchinessI'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Skyrim is a decent enough game- it has a big open world thats fun to explore, lots of sidequests, etc. You've got to deal with some flawed mechanics, such as horrid combat and ugly NPC behavior, but thats nothing new for Bethesda. The story is decent, but it's got nothing on a good RPG like Final Fantasy. No, what sucks here is the sheer glitchiness of the experience. The fact this this game got 10s from major review companies simply boggles my mind. There's no way that a game this buggy could be considered a perfect experience, it's not even a finished product. Even worse, the PS3 version completely breaks after a certain amount of time. I honestly have no idea how Bethesda gets away with this crap. Save your money, buy a finished game. Expand
  97. Jan 9, 2012
    I enjoy this game greatly. sadly let down by the lag due to the PS3. i enjoyed the story lines and quests and equipment you could get. i enjoy seeing the elder scrolls series carry on and i play each game and enjoy them to each of their own merits.

my score does not reflect how i feel about this game just simply the console it is on i have pruchased this on pc and hopefully any of you reading this will too.

i was talking about trading this in, thought give it one more chance. got out of a town rode a horse a little ways out got off it, Crashed! next trip game shop cashed in got swtor
  98. Jan 15, 2012
    Game is out 3 months and Bethesda didn't fix anything about ps3 version. Really big dissapointment from this studio. About game : game is very enjoyable ( even though difficulty level even on Master isn't much of a challenge). Huge number of quests and tasks, fantastic, big world to discover, on the other side we have dragons, which should be big challenge, but after few level-up's mamuthsGame is out 3 months and Bethesda didn't fix anything about ps3 version. Really big dissapointment from this studio. About game : game is very enjoyable ( even though difficulty level even on Master isn't much of a challenge). Huge number of quests and tasks, fantastic, big world to discover, on the other side we have dragons, which should be big challenge, but after few level-up's mamuths and giants are harder to kill than dragon, literally you could play with your nose and kill dragon, and of course main plot quests are very simple, it was a huge dissapointment for because I made all quests I could and then went main plot, and the final fight is a piece of cake, not challenging at all, and you can get for it gold trophy wtf? is this a cruel joke? For me game was put out too fast, Bethesda should made few weeks of inside beta-tests, instead of that theyput out game, and like I said at the beginning THEY DIDNT FIXED any single bug in ps3 version, and believe me there is a lot of this. Score would've been 9/10 but 6/10 is a adequate score for this number of bugs, that make you only blood pressure higher, just like long loadings. Expand
  99. May 9, 2012
    A very, very good game. Unfortunately, some also very heavy bugs brought some disappointment. Many patches helped out a lot but did not fix it to a 100% clear game.
    Nevertheless: this is one o those outstanding rpg games we will remember a long time. And it is - at last - better than Oblivion and as good as Morrowind.

But, it definitely has too much loading-screens...
  100. Jan 16, 2012
    Amazing! Thats all that can be said for skyrim. From slaying dragons to clearing dungeons your breath will be taken away. I went into skyrim not expecting much. I am not a fan of Oblivion,or Morrowind and i have never played 1 or 2 but skyrim was something else. It didnt feel like the others. Skyrim is a must by and one of my 2 GOTYs. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUYAmazing! Thats all that can be said for skyrim. From slaying dragons to clearing dungeons your breath will be taken away. I went into skyrim not expecting much. I am not a fan of Oblivion,or Morrowind and i have never played 1 or 2 but skyrim was something else. It didnt feel like the others. Skyrim is a must by and one of my 2 GOTYs. BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Expand

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]