6.1

1. Dec 12, 2011
    Still 0 lag after 60+hrs of play and a save file of 8MB+. Maybe all this QQ comes from outdated fail. This game is insane, the best game to date. A must buy.
  2. Nov 23, 2011
    Its the Mother of all RPG's. I am in 60+ Hours and I am still amazed at what they did. This is a world on its own. The detail, the story arc, the gameplay, the adventure is just mind blowing. It does have an occasional bug here and there but nothing that will stop the adventure. Thank you Bethesda for setting the bar as high as this. I wanted to give it a 9.5 but since there was no option I will say 10 compared to anything that is on the market. Do not deprive yourself from an epic adventure with a replay value of over 300+ hours. The soundtrack still makes me shiver and is stuck in my head. Expand
  3. Nov 12, 2011
    The first hour is a bit disapointing. That said, Skyrim offers a better experience in every ways than Oblivion or Fallout. I love being lost in this tremendous world. A game where we dont count hours...
  4. Nov 14, 2011
    Skyrim's amazing, even with the bugs. The game offers so much, and you can do so much. It's an immense world and you're put in there to do whatever the hell you want. There are so many benefits to free roam, and there's so much beauty to see in the game that it's stunning.
  5. Nov 14, 2011
    TES Skyrim is nothing short of breath taking. From the initial battle in Helgen, to the open world you delve into just a few hours into the game. The map is MASSIVE, with a nearly unlimited amount of things to do. This is truly a sandbox style game with no linear game play element.

Dragon encounters are incredibly fun, yet challenging and the amount of different NPCs provides enough
    variety to keep things fresh.

Being a huge RPG fan, with Dragon Age Origins being one of my favorite games, Skyrim is quickly breaking that favoritism and becoming my new favorite game. I can absolutely see myself dumping 150+ hours into this game without batting an eye.

I HIGHLY recommend this game if you are into RPGs with fantastic history and story lines.
  6. Nov 14, 2011
    It's important to think about the terms 'vision' and 'commitment' when evaluating your own experience of Skyrim. Those two terms do not always mean 'new' or 'innovative' as some may expect, but instead connote selection, judgment, taste, quality, and balance; all of which are apparent in Skyrim. Using tools developed during the creation of other titles, Bethesda set out to realize the Elder Scrolls world more completely than ever before. The vision of the game demanded that Bethesda focus on mood, atmosphere, immersion, lore, and story, and the effects of this choice can be felt in nearly all the systems of the game. Combat is simple because the objective of the game is not to be a fantasy combat simulator, while crafting is simple because the game is not meant to model the workings of a pseudo-medieval society engaged in various handicrafts and manufacture. Skyrim is meant to display the incredible breadth of imagination and creation that is possible with a well-funded AA title; the scope of the title is something that other developers cannot match and I believe that 'scope' is the mission of this title - as well as its defining factor. All other systems in the game have been constrained and simplified to support this feeling of scope. Therefore, attacking Skyrim with the philosophy of 'kill everything, loot every dungeon' is going to drive you absolutely crazy. If you rate the entertainment value the game will provide after completing every challenge, it would probably be a 2 out of 10: you're in for a lot of tedium. You're not meant to grind combat for 20 hours during your playthrough, because that limits the scope of your experience. Furthermore, such an attitude violates the very spirit of an RPG: no character would ever stand around whacking monsters to achieve a '100' score in one handed weapons. Similarly, walking around picking flowers for alchemy will get fairly boring after the novelty wears off. However, the character would improve themselves so that they could kill an interesting Giant Frost Spider and see what goods lay behind the beast. The alchemy, combat, item, and crafting systems all model ancillary experiences to the main pleasure of exploring one of the most fully realized game worlds to come along, ever. If you focus on the secondary aspects of the game, your experience will be similarly second-rate. Picking goals that are important to you and playing to achieve them is just as important as following the main story line. However, the game does fall down somewhat in choosing to drastically simplify combat, as combat is the way that your character interacts with most of the game world's non-human speech incapable characters. If Bethesda had applied their vision of scope to the behaviors of creatures and vampires, where every encounter is both dangerous and different, then Skyrim would become something akin to religion or life-experience rather than mere game. I imagine a scenario where Bethesda purchases and integrates From Software's talent for deep combat into the next Elder Scrolls title. Maintaining Skyrim's amazing level of scope and adding an additional layer of danger, difficulty, and tenseness present in Dark Souls or Demon Souls would be a peerless combination. In summary, the fantastic far outweighs the flubbed in Skyrim. Everything from the graphics (they are clearly good enough), to the amazingly reactive soundtrack, to the little side conversations that happen around you as you stroll through a town, supports the feeling that you are involved in the goings-on of this land called Skyrim. As a player, you have a choice, and also a responsibility, to make your hours in the land of Skyrim count. Part of the charm and the difficulty of open world games is that there's no guiding hand to prevent you from ruining your own experience. The developers have made freedom readily available and if you want your play experience to be: 'I sifted through countless barrels in the hopes of finding a Doomsword! Then I gathered every flower in a four square mile radius to try all possible combinations!' your experience will be eclipsed by a player who reports 'Using whatever tools I had on hand, I slew a mighty dragon and gained the fabled power of the Voice...' Expand
  7. Nov 14, 2011
    This is the best game ever. You can do anything you want go anywhere you want and kill Dragons. No other game on the ps3 has done this much in a single game. Overall its just an amazing game.
  8. Nov 14, 2011
    Oblivion stole about 300+ hours from my life and I have no doubt in my mind that Skyrim will do the same. I picked the game up on the PS3 and so far it looks absolutely beautiful, despite a few lazy textures the game is wonderful to look at. One of my favorite elements of the Elder Scrolls games is the rich immersion into the lore of the world and the unique way the story is told and Skyrim exceeded all my story expectations. I've already wasted at least 2 hours reading the in game story books. The world is so immersive that you may find yourself whispering to your friends on the couch while sneaking, or wanting to let out a battle cry after one of the many dragon fights, the game takes you in and doesn't let go. The combat took what we all loved from oblivion and improved the movements a lot, the magic feels fresh and new with the ability to dual wield spells and weapons, get ready to feel like a bad ass.

All good things aside there were some issues you may want to be ready for. There is some texture issues with the environments, noticed mostly on the cobblestone streets but its easy to ignore, graphical lag can occur every now and then. Many players fear the dreaded game freeze and I have to admit, I have had to restart my console to resolve one myself but so far its a one time thing. The voice acting has improved and the characters feel more real but there's still some pretty cheesy dialogue this also pretty rare.

Overall I'm going to go with about a 9, if Bethesda can spit out a few bug fixing patches in the near future my rating may go up, mainly because my only problems with the game are technical issues, and that its going to steal my social life away for god knows how long.
  9. Nov 20, 2011
    First impressions of this game, I was blown away, one of the best games I have played in the last two years, but, this honeymoon period didn't last too long. As I progressed further through the game more and more issues started to crop up; firstly was the framerate issues, which were at first a minor annoyance, but they just got worse and worse as my save file increased in size. Secondly I started to notice little glitches within the quests, the first major one was with "Blood on the ice" which meant I couldn't complete the quest because so much had gone wrong, this has happened now on numerous occasions, leaving my quest log with several quests that I can't finish. A few other issues are to do with character animations which look very rigid and awkward, as well as the reused voices for just about every guard in every city which makes them all sound like Arnie (GET TO DA CHOPPA). Finally the latest issue I encountered just after I had finished slaying a dragon, I ran over to loot the body, but did not absorb its soul.

This game has just been rushed on the ps3, and Betheseda's Pete Hines was quoted as saying: â
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    my words are unworthy to describe this game. it is simply a masterpiece. i've been playing for probably 20 hours yet it feels i've barely scratched the surface. the graphics are beautiful, the spells and weapons stylish, and the enemies epic.
  11. Nov 22, 2011
    There are only a few games I buy for $60, and this is definitely one of them. It is just simply amazing, great graphics/environment, good storyline, and very, very open world. Bugs are to be expected on occasion, and when the save file starts to get bigger expect glitches/freezing. They are in the process of fixing this, but seeing as New Vegas went, it might be a little while. I only have two issues with the title; Kids, and Quest NPC's. If you can't kill something then you shouldn't put it in a elder scrolls title should you? If you commit a crime, it stops you from being able to kill all witnesses... Expand
  12. Dec 7, 2011
    While I have not experienced the lag yet I have encountered numerous quest bugs that have left me wondering how this game made it past beta. I do not recommend purchasing this game for the Playstation 3.
  13. Dec 9, 2011
    Bugs should knock a gaming masterpiece down from a 10 to a 9, not from a 10 to a 0. The number of people that gave the game a 0 is truly indicative of one thing: trolls are truly whiny deep down. Big games will have a few glitches. Not every game will provide the instant gratification that Call of Duty does. Get over it.
  14. Dec 25, 2011
    Great game overall, have no idea what all the 0 are about, the game runs smooth for me. For people reading by date, read the professional critics page, the people here obviously do not know what they're talking about
  15. Dec 29, 2011
    Don't buy this game. It won't work properly and you'll be left feeling ripped off, betrayed and frustrated. I will happily rescind my rating when the game-breaking bugs are patched, but until then, this game deserves nothing more than a big fat donut.
  16. Dec 30, 2011
    It was highly unethical for Bethesda to release this as a PS3 port, they should be stripped of their business licence! The game is utterly unplayable, and this AFTER becoming thoroughly hooked to it's infectious gameplay!
  17. Jan 2, 2012
    This game is absolutely broken for the PlayStation. Anyone with a decent gaming rig should be hard pressed to buy this game for PC before they consider buying this for PlayStation. The problem is not with the game itself but rather with the huge amount of game breaking bugs that it contains. If your save file size gets past about 8 megs you should expect to experience significant lag in the gameplay which makes the game just about unplayable. To give you an idea of how long it takes to get to that size of a save file I would say that it comes to about 4 hours of gameplay. Obviously no where near enough time to explore everything this game has to offer. Anyone who has ever played games by this developer will know that this are problems that continue to pop up in every title they release. Next time, SERIOUSLY wait a few days to see if a Bethesda game is worth getting because so far every game I have ever bought from them ends up containing game breaking lag.I have only played the game for a few hours since I can't get any further and I am seriously disappointed and wish I had my money back. Expand
  18. Jan 22, 2012
    i am a huge fan of bethseda games and must say this game gave me my expectetions and much more. the game is flowing with content either side quests or just rummaging around for tresure it really does the series justice. the controls are simple and easy to use making combat so much better and the landsape itself is sooo well detailed. now here are the downsides. the charecter creation is good but not really good. a big improvement from oblivions but it just dont feel like i can make the charecter i want. the story isnt as good as what oblivions is, its a good setup and charecters are ok, but not great. there are glicthes and bugs in the game that bring it down such as broken quests, texture slowdowns nd soo on and so on. netherless with so many intresting quests and places, youll spend so much hours into the game. Expand
  19. Jul 20, 2012
    meh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it. This has since been fixed in various patches but I don't like the mentality of newer game devs "hey lets just release an unfinished product and make a patch for it later if they notice". It's just downright lazy. Expand
  20. Sep 21, 2012
    Fun and addictive, awesome and amazing....until you start hearing the same voice actor for the gazzillion time, to kill Blood dragons and die to no-point super overpowered random bandits, killing your own allies over and over with no posibility to revive them and to finally save for that sweet extra strong equipment and still getting killed in 3 hits.

Lag, Freezes,you never get the
    feeling of getting stronger and the PC version getting mods and tons of support, is making Skyrim for the Ps3 an useless junk. Expand
  21. Dec 11, 2011
    after almost 6 years we finally get the next elder scrolls game and after much hype does it live uo to what i had hoped it would be? for the most part yes the game looks amazing in the graphics department , there is a ungodly amount of stuff to do , the game now feels more of a challange unlike oblivion did , fighting dragons is awsome the charcter models look great unlike oblivions and the creat a charicter has been streamlined . the game has a new level up system which is simaler to the old elder scrolls games but is differnt and took it awhile to grow on me as you no longer have a set of prefered skills that level you up faster. the games story isnt bad but like most ES games it doesnt stand out as most people just get sucked into all the extra stuff there is to do. there has been alot of raging on the games frame rate slowing down to near unplayable levels and ive had a friend tell me the same others have as well. i my self have over 120 hours into the game did pretty much almost every thing there is to do and have only encountered that slow down a few times and only lasted 1-2 minuites and went away so i cant complain about it personally.. but i can understand people raging against this game over it if they have gotten it alot. other then that one of my gripes is you still can not fly... well why the hell not? i miss that from morrowind. also the load times are abit long and i would think with the install to the ps3 you could speed that up alot more. over all i loved skyrim i put a 120 hours into it and had alot of fun and the game had me hooked from the first hour to the last. Expand
  22. Nov 20, 2011
    Im playing the game since yestarday ... and i must say that is incredible ! No dought ! Is goty 2011, big map, big history, all is big, all work, all have life, i love this game! Goty 2011!!!
  23. Nov 14, 2011
    the sequel of oblivion is better, bigger ,and more amazing than elder scrolls IV ,dont miss up a dragon or a giant you don´t gonna like it enjey a beatifull , world full of live.
  24. Nov 11, 2011
    Improving greatly on the previous Elder Scrolls game, Skyrim is amazing. The Graphics remain very similar to Oblivion, but that's almost the complete list of Cons. Skyrim has a simplified customisation screen, allowing you to get into the game quickly, while still having a character tailored to your specification. The general movement of your character and the animation of the game finally seem to have taken the step into Next-Gen Gaming, moving away from the stiff-moving gloomy-faced characters in the world of Oblivion, Skyrim brings a new air of life into the Elder Scrolls' world, borrowing a lot of its features from Morrowind (Arguably the best game in the series) and just improving on them slightly. The combat no longer feels like you're just running in and swinging a sword around like a piece of paper until everything's dead. Skyrim's combat has some real weight to it, and although they consume a lot of energy, the charge attacks really make the difference between life or death. The Camera (3rd person, specifically) has been re-positioned and put in the same place as Morrowind's (just zoomed out a bit more) to allow for better vision and easy use of bows and magic in third person (Though there are still some problems when trying to loot in 3rd person). Most elements of the game have been made much simpler than even Oblivion. The quests in Skyrim, though simpler, feel much more hand-crafted, much like the dungeons. Now the problem with Skyrim. Simplicity. Yes, a degree of simplicity is required and expected, but this game is an RPG which, to me, implies there's going to be some number-crunching and a good chunk of reading. Skyrim doesn't really have this to the extent I'd hope for and it hurts it in more ways than it helps. Other than getting perk points from levelling up (really just a big bunch of passive abilities) there's no limitation to your stats. Expand
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    An awesome game, very fun. One of the only games that I've played that lived up to its hype. The game play is awesome and fun, the graphics are good not the best but still beautiful. The music fits perfectly with the scenic of the game, the only complaint I have is some of the sound effects sound low quality.
  26. Nov 11, 2011
    If you like rinse & repeat RPGs, Skyrim is for you. This is basically just a larger version of Oblivion with a different storyline. The graphics are terrible. The combat, compared to something like Dark Souls, is childish to say the least. But I can't deny how fun it is to just wander around and find things. That is the beauty of a game like Skyrim. There's just so much to explore! But after playing Dark Souls and both games coming out within a month or so of each other, I can't give it more than a 7. Expand
  27. Nov 14, 2011
    One word: Masterpiece. Amazing story, characters, sound design, etc. Bethesda really did a fantastic job. Only issue is the shadows are terrible on the PS3 version, they should have been shut off and had plain shadows but otherwise not a big deal. The graphics are incredible. All I will leave with you to decide if your un-sure of buying is when you fight the first dragon you feel like your in the shoes of the guy from the film Dragonslayer.. incredible and never felt so out of this world playing it. Look up at the sky and see constellations even.. attention to detail is incredible...ahh enough of me raving, check it out for yourselfs! Expand
  28. Dec 11, 2011
    Hands down the best game of the year. A vividly created world with heart and soul that sucks you in engaging you from start to finish. Bethesda has delivered one of the most enriched masterpieces of any art from in a long time.
  29. Dec 3, 2011
    It actually pains me to give "Skyrim" a higher score than "Dark Souls," particularly after being one of those snorty know-it-alls dismissing "The Elder Scrolls" and other Bethesda RPGs as bland excuses for a game. But I can't deny how INVOLVING this bland excuse for a game can be! Yes, the battle system is godawful compared to that wonderfully intricate hack-slash-block-dodge system in "Dark Souls." (Would it kill Bethesda to add a lock-on system so the fights don't feel like a floaty slap-fest somewhere three feet ahead of my player?) And yes, this game is as glitchy, if not more so, than "Dark Souls." (My personal favorite was a fight with a dragon who decided to fly right through a cliffside and kill some villagers on the other side like a sandworm.) Now here's what they did right with this game- they filled it, and I mean really filled it, with stuff to do. Confession - I've never been able to play more than five hours of a Bethesda/Elder Scrolls game before. Even "Fallout 3," one of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation, just felt like a whole lot of walking through the desert, talking to people who don't have anything interesting to say. In Skyrim, not only does every character have a hundred neat little quests to take on, they're actually DIFFERENT from each other. I got a fetch quest early on and had a sinking feeling I'd be collecting wolf pelt from respawning enemies WOW style for the rest of my life. But no. They really vary it up. And Skyrim,though large, is simply packed with unique moments. You can't walk for more than a minute before some new adventure begins. Admittedly, the game starts to gloss over after your 40th hour, but for once I can honestly say that my loss of attention was because of too much stuff to do, as opposed to samey grinding. I'm not giving it a higher review than 7, because the glitches really do ruin some of the immersion, and the battle system could do with a lot of work. But, unlike Dark Souls, none of the glitches felt game breaking. This is probably because it's practically impossible to do something wrong with your character, but hey. It's an adventure. You won't be challenged by this game, only immersed in it like a grand painting. And that's really not so bad. Expand
  30. Feb 12, 2012
    I'm not sure if Sony patched the problems on this game with the 1.4 update or not. When I played it a few months back it froze up on me after I was in a loading screen and did not save my progress. I was pissed off so I sold the game on ebay. I wouldn't mind getting the game back if it doesn't glitch out anymore for PS3.
  31. Dec 5, 2011
    It's tought to rate Skyrim in a fair way. All these 10 points (or 100 percent) reviews implicate that Skyrim is THE perfect game. It is far away from being a perfect game. On the other hand the 0 point review indicte that Skyrim is a terrible game but again: It's also far away from being a complete malfunction. So, here are my 2 cents: Skyrim makes fun, lots of fun, and has a huge )ingame) world but it also has some problems. First of all there are - of course - the problem nearly every Bethesda RPG has. Lags and Freezes. It's unbearable what Bethesda does to the PS3 community every time they release a RPG. It's nearly a fraud that they get our money with games that a obviously just ported to the PS3 without much work for the actual PS3 version. But besides technical issues the gameplay also has some flaws. The Smithing & Enchanting skills are way too overpowered. With Smithing & Enchanting at 100 each, you easily get the best weapons and armor in the game. It's pointless to play Quests (which often involve boring tasks like "FInd item x", "Kill enemy Y" or "Bring item Z to person A") and get an item as a reward if your own crafted weapons are waaaay better. At least Bethesda knew beforehand knew that this could lead to problems. That's why they introduced for example an armor cap at an armor rating of 567. Brilliant idea, Bethesda.... now, tell me why I should use a Heavy Armor if I already an reach the cap with a Light Armor? The Light Armor adds less weight to your inventory and it needs less stamina and you're able to move faster. Why should I use a Heavy Armor with an armor rating of 1170 if only 567 armor rating are getting calculated in fights? That's strange....

Nevertheless, I spent 94 hours in Skyrim so far and I didn't even finish most of the side quests and even with its lags, freezes, overpowered weapons, a bugged patch and the stupid AI (you'd come to the conclusion that every second room in Skyrim was designed intentionally the way so that your AI companions are able to block the doorway) it's still a fun game.
  32. Dec 8, 2011
    Spectacular game. Everyhting about it is awesome, after getting my third dragon shout the game got even better. Good job bethesda, keep up the good work and hopefully make a really good DLC for this game because im definitely getting it :)
  33. Nov 13, 2011
    It's an amazing game. From the set-pieces, such as the great intro, to the magnificent vistas and the populace of skyrim, it just makes you want to play more and more of it. Don't be surprised if at some point you've said "ok, i'm just going to finish this quest and then i'll put down the controller, have to wake up for work tomorrow" just to realize, after what seems to be maybe half an hour, that dawn is coming and you've been playing for hours and hours. In my opinion it's one of the games that I would fully recommend to anyone, whether they've played any of the other Elder Scrolls or not. Expand
  34. Nov 14, 2011
    I bought this game on a whim, simply because I haven't had a game to play for ages and the simple conclusion is: This game is incredible! I'm not one to follow the main quest line in the elder scrolls games, so the first thing I usually do is head straight into the wild to see what the world throws at me. The world threw dragons, amazing dungeons, horses and epic quest lines at me. This game is a must have! I recommend you get it to PC as you will have the possibility to play using mods created by the vast community. Some glitches holds it from getting a perfect score. Expand
  35. Nov 14, 2011
    Just as good if not better than oblivion. The character class system is amazing, and truly lets you play and do what YOU want, how YOU want to. I will definitely be spending many many hours in this game....and then...there's always the mods!
  36. Dec 10, 2011
    This game is better than oblivion in many ways. Interesting map to play on, hundreds of quests and locations, and a ton of things to do. Graphics are superb, voice acting is superb, sounds are superb. There are a few minor glitches i have encountered, but nothing that i haven't seen in Oblivion. When my game save got to around 8mb the framerate suffered a bit. Nothing in this game is broken. They released a patch that stopped the framerate drop. Dragon battles could be a lot more epic - or difficult for that matter. If you are a fan of role playing games, especially the western kind, you should get this game. This game seems to be a bit more difficult than the last in some instances which is a good thing because I dislike being unchallenged. If I had to choose one game this winter season, it would be Skyrim, unless your into multiplayer games, then id say go for battlefield 3. Expand
  37. Nov 12, 2011
    Look. Doubtless you could spend a fair while nitpicking at all the negatives in the game, and admittedly, like ALL games there are a few. But it does not override the fact that this is a simply OUTSTANDING game that is easily up there with the biggest contenders this year, dare I say it even surpasses them by many miles. While some may see a broken, glitchy repeat, I see a game that thrusts a truly mesmerising world into your fingertips and shouts, "Go forth, Explore this land we hath created for you!". Say goodbye to fast-travel, because the soundtrack and the sheer beauty of it will make you want to walk everywhere. Expand
  38. Nov 12, 2011
    Just perfect game.
    Good story, improved game play, very good facial animation and outstanding graphics.
    It is a way better game than oblivion!
    GOTY!!!
  39. Nov 14, 2011
    First off. The setting. It evokes classic Tolkien literature... and also Star Wars. I will get to that in a minute. Beautiful, with just a hint of mourning, of... shattered glass as it were, reflecting the blood of fallen men, men who sacrificed much for very little. It seeps into you, but alas, this world is... provocative, in an almost childish, demeaning way. I brought up Star Wars. The reason is thus- the game is... spacey, for lack of a better word. As the combat take place in zero-g, you are reminded of weightlessness... the kind Luke Skywalker must have felt when he became Darth Vader. The swords also glow, reminiscent of the glowing beams of the revered franchise. This lack of originality is simply stunning. On to combat. As my (many) fencing lessons have taught me, sword-fighting is an art, an art that this game fails to adequately replicate. It lacks... the feel, the- dare I say- sensual nature of clanging metal and dented armor. There is no "Riposte", no "Taliae", no "Pos Wershe" as it were. Instead we are left without the proper... tools, as it were to properly execute a more daring style of fighting. Graphics now. Chop, chop. They are pretty, but only insofar as a beautiful, but aged woman is while gazing into her rippling reflection on a cloudy summer evening. Much like this game, she pauses to reflect, as the game pauses with lag. Her movements are stilted, like the movements of NPCs in the game. She also takes up a lot of space... All in all, I dare say... this game is like a martini, without the olive, or the umbrella... a travesty, as it were. A beautiful travesty. Collapse
  40. Nov 14, 2011
    Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,
  41. Nov 28, 2011
    It's okay but massively overhyped. For someone who isn't used to top-notch graphics, the visuals are mind-breaking, though the terrain is a bit one-sided and tends to be composed mostly of snowy plains and forests. Combat is great, skill system isn't really balanced, though it doesn't matter that much because you don't play against other people.
  42. Nov 18, 2011
    This game brought me back to gaming after a year long hiatus from gaming. To be perfectly honest, little has changed within that period of time in the gaming world. Bethesda should be ashamed for releasing another lackluster title after Oblivion. The UI is awkward to say the least, the textures are a mixed bag depending on your location, the game play is boring as usual, the storyline is boring as usual, the graphics are substandard for a 2011 game, the audio is less than satisfying and seems very similar to Oblivion. The game continues to suffer from frame rate, pop-up, and graphical issues. The fighting controls and movement is outdated and clunky. This is inexcusable in 2011. The one shining star is the atmospheric conditions that add to the immersion of the game. I am thoroughly disappointed in this game after reaching level 15. If you are interesting in wasting time exploring a less than interesting world this game is for you. Bethesda, thanks for ruining a much over hyped gaming experience. It is an average game at best. Expand
  43. Nov 19, 2011
    If you don't like long reviews - I like Skyrim. A lot. It's the Game of the Year and more. If you aren't playing it, you are missing out on hands-down the best game I've ever played. Period. Full stop.

I created an account here specifically because I was SHOCKED at the scores for Skyrim and because I wanted to add my voice to the chorus who loved it. So take what follows for what
    it's worth.

Skyrim feels like nothing short of a triumph of modern gaming. It is huge, interesting, and immersive like nothing that's come before, and more importantly, it is as deep as the ocean. I have put more than 50 hours into this game and I haven't even scratched the surface. It is as deep as the World of Warcraft except single player, if that makes sense. And every second is just a breathtaking testament to how much attention the design team paid to EVERYTHING. Characters interact in realistic ways - when I slayed a dragon on the main street of a town, two NPCs (a shopkeeper and another that I had seen walking around the town for days before) died forever and for the next week (in game) every one in town was in awe of the dragon fight and skeleton...it was a procedurally generated event (I *think*) that FELT scripted, which is the highest compliment I think I can pay. When the line blurs between story events designed by a truly outstanding creative team and story events designed by the game engine, that's a very good sign.

The graphics are lush and beautiful, the music and sound design is awe-inspiring. It makes the real world pale in comparison. Seriously.

The deepness in the game is truly stunning. I could (and have!) spent hours just creating weapons and armor with Smithing, hours Enchanting, hours practicing Alchemy...and that is all in excess of the tens of storylines, each epic, each deep, each amazing. The only complaint I have about the storylines and immersion of the game is that it sometimes seems like too much...it's hard to stay focused because there's just so much going on.

It is the most open experience I've ever had in any game, ever. That includes tabletop games, run by good GMs, who could literally respond to every thought and whim in real-time (and didn't have to generate a beautiful 3D world as well). The closest comparison that I can make, that almost no one will understand, is this: if you created a Rogue-like game, with infinite procedurally generated dungeons and combined it with the kind of 3D environments that you see on next gen consoles...that's awfully close to what Skyrim is. It scratches that itch very, very well. The difference of course is that the environment in Skyrim is hand designed - every inch of every game map has been touched by a designer, and it shows.

It's the first game that I would argue is almost past the point of art - it's so immerse, calling it art cheapens it. It really is just a triumph in every way.

So to show that I'm not completely blind, here are the things I don't like - I have several times seen glitches and errors pop up...but usually after I had been playing the game for six hours at a stretch or greater. I restarted my console and went on without a problem. Once or twice I've even had a 'hard' freeze on my console, but recovered with really no data loss. The inventory/magic menu system is elegant but not particularly user friendly - it can feel cumbersome, especially in the middle of a fight. This is due primarily to the huge number of things in your inventory, though. And I'm not sure how it could be better, just to say that it can be clunky at times. The combat system is tricky because it's deeper than it appears to be....you can't just walk up to a better-equipped opponent and wail away. Rather than stand in front of them and button mash, to not be instantly slaughtered you have to move, almost like a high level boxer, feinting and reacting to your opponents attacks. Probably fewer than 1 in 50 combat situations fall into this category, though. And for every shockingly hard combat, there are also multiple ways to win - sometimes a magical item, sometimes a spell, and sometimes through sneaking and surprise. Again, creativity from the player is encouraged.

None of these minor problems distract from an overall amazing experience.

I am not a typical Skyrim player. I didn't even know about the game until the day before its release, and got so stoked up that I actually went to the midnight release (my first time ever doing so). I went in with no particularly high expectations - maybe that's why some users are unimpressed? I just wanted a cool game to play. But Skyrim has exceeded everything I could have even imagined.

Buy it now. It's not a game, it's an alternate reality.
  44. Nov 19, 2011
    Fantastic game. Above and beyond oblivion and I loved that game. Graphics are very nice, game is seemingly endless with tons of play time, amazing scenery, and beautiful music. Recommend to anybody who enjoys RPGs.
  45. Nov 20, 2011
    Amazing! So much better than oblivion. A true masterpiece. Bethesda just keeps putting out some of the most amazing games. It will pull you in and take over your life. Thank you so much Bethesda.
  46. Nov 21, 2011
    I never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim, and I admit that I rushed into buying it the day it came out but I am really glad I did because it really is an amazing game. Sure, there are a few things that need to be fixed up but that can be expected with a new release. I highly recommend buying Skyrim, you wont regret it.
  47. Nov 22, 2011
    This Game is completely 100% amazing, the graphics are superb, storytelling is fantastic and the gameplay is legendary. The Elder Scrolls is a world famnous gaming franchise, known for the complete freedom that it offers and just how purely fun it is. Arena, was an amazing game at the time, Daggerfall was HUUUGE, Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was great, and now Skyrim is utterly perfect. I have been seriously gaming since i was 6, when Arena came out, and I honestly havent seen a game quite like Skyrim, ever. I highly reccommend this game for the casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, and posers who are posing to be posers. If you want a good game, please buy TES V Skyrim Expand
  48. Nov 29, 2011
    This game is great it is huge and there soo many things for you to do that it can even overwhelming at times. However the major flaw in this game for this console is the frame rate. I do not remember oblivion having frame rate issues, and they are in actuality the same size. They have released the 1.02 patch that has improved the frame rate issues but has not eliminated them entirely. i can tell you though that it is not nearly as bad as it was, and if Bethesda keeps working at it then I'm happy I guess. Although they really should of fixed this before releasing it, and none of the critic reviews ever mentioned frame rate issues which really pisses me off. Makes you think that some shady business is going on there. Expand
  49. Nov 27, 2011
    I have spent around 80 hours in it, and have accomplished nothing of significance. I enjoy the beautiful sunset and sunrise like a goof. Read every damn book I can find. Cook everything I can muster. Talk to every single person, irrelevant or not. Work the mill, or the grain, not knowing what the hell it does. Why? Because this game lets me live and play exactly how I want too, and it is near perfection in every category. Well, kinda buggy. But those are often funny haha BUY or DIE. Expand
  50. Nov 27, 2011
    well im already seeing 10s and 0s for user reviews for skyrim, and im shocked. this game, is a heavenly god blessed masterpiece of mankind that our species shall treasure for the rest of time!!! now im not gunna be another person who will give this game a 10 but i will give it a 10. the graphics are outstanding, but faces can be bad at times and expected glitches are still there. the gameplay is almost perfect, magic in one hand, an axe in the other, my favorite combo. story was good, yet the main quest was shorter than i thought, but all the side quests and exploring make up for it. overall skyrim is the greatest rpg ive played in my life. enough said Expand
  51. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is amazing. Great graphics and endless possibilities are to be found in this game. Might be tough to get through some quests but that's the fun part, you gotta think to get through. I do recommend!
  52. Nov 28, 2011
    I purchased this game because i was looking forward to a good story with some solid fun gameplay. The whole dragon theme really drew me in. After spending about 10 hours with the game i must admit that i sold the game. I like the idea behind skyrim, the game however is just not fun to play. The graphics are below standard. The animations are stiff and jerky. The battles are stiff and clumsy. I don't care that i have all this freedom to roam and side missions. The gameplay is simply too rigid and frustrating to enjoy. I played the mass effect games and finished both. This game might appeal to alot of gamers because of the freedom it gives gamers but if you want videogames to be fun to play while offering you freedom look elsewhere. Expand
  53. Nov 29, 2011
    This game is fantastic on numerous levels! Yea its a bit buggy but that's to be expected with a game of this magnitude and already a patch has been released to fix several problems. I have had the game freeze a couple times but luckily you can set the auto save feature to save as frequently as you like so playing over whole levels and such isn't a problem. Otherwise I have logged nearly 80 to 90 hours of game play into it and still have a huge amount of stuff still to do.The game looks fantastic and the soundtrack is awesome! The menus are easy to navigate and weapon swapping has been made much easier. By far the most bang for your buck your going to see for a long time. I highly recommend every gamer to pick this up and just let it consume you. Expand
  54. Nov 29, 2011
    SKYRIM...HOLY S**T

Pros:
    -THIS GAME IS HUGE! Out of the all the games I played this year even some that I consider better than this, Skyrim is the only game I am playing that even after finishing important task there is still more to do. My Quest log is flooded with Side Quests and I just bought the game two days before this review. Not to mention there is DLC planned. Say goodbye to real
    life.
    -Presentation is outstanding. Soundtrack is amazing and makes me pumped up. Graphics are gorgeous especially when played on a suped up PC.
    -Combat is fun and dynamic. I don't exactly know how much combat has changed but overall, fighting in the game is a blast.
    -The ability to do whatever you want. Spoiler-Free Example: I was told to kill someone, but when I approached him he had backup, and I was weak. Then he convinced me to help him which meant trapping and arresting the person that told me to kill him. It was at this moment that I felt that I made the wrong decision, I could no longer do the good deed that I wanted. However, when the trap was initiated, he was all alone, and it was at this moment I realized that I can kill this guy. Problem solved...This game kicks ass.

Cons:
    -This game is too big...I not negating points but the game's massive scale does become overwhelming after a while especially when traveling in the game takes a great amount of time.
    -NPCs are lifeless. Compare the NPCs in this game to the NPCs in Mass Effect 2. In ME2, NPCs were presented through cutscenes and had human like movements making you immersed in the actual game and it's world even if the conversations were from third-person perspective. In Skyrim, when you commit a crime, guards approach you in their battle stance while you stand still in your tracks. Come on Bethesda, haven't we come to that point in gaming were we actually want to care about what we are fighting for. Even in the first Dragon Age, your character was silent and yet I felt more engrossed in the game.
    -The User Interface is hard to use and has steep learning curve. The ability to preview your character is no longer available for some odd reason. -Bethesda's Bug infamous launch bug problem, however, these can be fixed.
    -While the game has some beautiful graphics, a lot of character models are unattractive and could've use a bit more clean-up. -Some of the voice acting, while excellent, is weird in the sense that character are trying to do accents and are failing.
    -While improved from it's predecessors and advances the series forward, the game doesn't contain anything that could influence the way we play games unlike other games that I have played this year.

Overall, if you are a gamer then go purchase Skyrim, no questions asked. I myself am not a fan of most RPGs and yet this game is addicting. If you are a casual gamer, then forgive me because I can't recommend this game to you even if you want to try. GOTY? To you maybe, for me no. Game that will ruin my life? Yes.
  55. Nov 30, 2011
    This game is amazing. I sit and play it for hours but it only feels like a few minutes. All of the side quests make you feel like you are doing something important and that you really can influence this world. If you are not playing this game you are missing out.
  56. Dec 6, 2011
    I Love it how some nerd got completely angered by this game that he bothered to create tens of profiles with different names just to rag on this game. Honestly, did you not think it suspcious that every one of your posts is rated 0 and was enetered on the 5th of december? I mean really if you have nothing better to do than sit at home making fake names, you really need to take a look at your life. Skyrim is an excellent game, glitches aside this game it definately a contender for game of the year. Expand
  57. Dec 6, 2011
    This game is amazing. The graphics are good, and it's a lot of fun to play. I see a lot of people complaining about problems with the PS3 version, but I haven't seen most of it. My game started to stutter after 60 hours and a 9mb+ save file, and the patch fixed it. It's froze once in the whole time I've been playing, and I haven't had any broken quests or NPC's. The combat is a a lot of fun, I love having magic in one hand and a sword in the other. Expand
  58. Dec 9, 2011
    This game is amazing. I have not had any problems with bugs and I would recommend this highly. The sheer size of the world, the sheer amount of sidequests, the improvements to the gameplay, there's not much in the game that can go wrong.
  59. Dec 9, 2011
    THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES I'VE EVER PLAYED!!! Yes it has bugs, and it can be frustrating. BUT that is expected in a game of this calibre. Play for a few hours and you will be immersed in this game like you never thought possible. The massive world provides variety in creatures, towns and dungeons. Don't let a bugs ruin this magnificent masterpiece. BUY IT!!!!
  60. Dec 21, 2011
    Provides all of the open world possibilities of Oblivion and Morrowind in a staggering new world. The sheer freedom of choice, the beautiful world (yes, even with the low res environmental textures), the combat system (not perfect, but enjoyable): these points are all in Skyrim's favour. But there feels like less content here than in past Elder Scroll games (certainly less than Oblivion), and what is here is less engaging (see: repetitive dungeon crawls or fetch quests). I put 150 hours in Oblivion, but I've put maybe 50-60 in Skyrim, and I don't see myself adding much more. And, worst of all, the bugs. Crashes, textures disappearing, and the unforgivable frame rate stuttering. For a game that takes so long to load, quitting and restarting is not a viable "fix" to the frame rate issue. It's unforgivable for something as game-changing (no pun intended) as that to make it out of testing. What's even worse is that it doesn't appear to have been factored into many critical reviews in any meaningful way. I can't not recommend this game, because with all it's flaws it still offers a rewarding experience, but anyone thinking of purchasing it needs to be aware that it comes with as many frustrations as rewards. Expand
  61. Dec 26, 2011
    I highly agree with Chrisking8613's comment... From what I've seen in order to fix the lag issues it seem to help by 1, creating several save files and making a new save each time (or overwriting if you have too many) or by 2, Updating your PS3/Skyrim. The update is most likely all that you need but I do both and don't experience any lockups or extreme lagging. So you will need both an internet connection and a large hard-drive, if you post a comment about "extreme lags" please specify if you've tried anything that I've suggested. Expand
  62. Dec 29, 2011
    This game is what i have been waiting for in an RPG. Total freedom and choice at what quest to do, where to go, and when to complete quests, total freedom. Epic looking armor and weapons. Simple combat. Seamless menus. 200+ locations/dungeons to explore. Hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay with the possibility of endless quests. Top notch graphics. Epic battles with huge dragons that, if not paying attention, you can "wake" one up without realizing it until the dragon is spitting fire down your neck and when you finally realize what is going on it results in one of the most epic battles (actually happened to me, dragon was resting on a Shout wall and guarding a coffin i didnt see him). Why after all this did i give it a 3 you ask? Lets see, the threat of ruining your ps3, chronic freezing, unbearable lag, broken quests, reloading, reloading and reloading saves, and starting new characters hoping that you wont get one bug just to get another...yes it is a huge game but that does not mean that any developer should sell a broken game, that is what they pay QA testers for. There is no excuse. Period. The fact that it is a huge, complex game should tell them hey, we need to test even more. GOTY? Studio of the Year? 10/10? 100/100 "a masterpiece" ? I would agree 100% if the game worked. The fact is it does not and even more so on the ps3. If you follow IGN there was an article titled "Skyrim Lag: How The Hell Did This Happen?" which is what every video game review web site should be writing about, not, "Skyrim is a masterpiece" when clearly it is not, but, that is my opinion. Expand
  63. Dec 29, 2011
    I bought this game because I wanted to try something different and move away from shooters for a while and move on to a RPG title and I'm slightly disappointed with what it delivers I get it that you can pick up things it a huge open world and theres dragons which fly about and a million characters to speak to but behind all of that is a very ugly game and plays like a drunk fat man its very glitchy and very clunky. this game did not deserve game of the year it was all a bit over hyped and bethesda needs to rethink their strategy. But if you enjoy this game keep playing because it does appeal to players more than others. Expand
  64. Jan 9, 2012
    Dear Bethesda......... I'm used to bugs in your games (I think everyone is!). I'm also mostly OK with the outdated tech, the clunky combat, the poor dialogue, and all the other staples of your games since Oblivion, because you do know how to make a good game world, and for that I can overlook a lot of issues. ........... However, what I cannot overlook is that this game is BROKEN on PS3. Broken meaning 'does not work'. At all. As in, 7 to 0 FPS during combat. .......... Next time, if you know you can't make a PS3 version without it being literally worthless (except for the opening 20 hours or so) then just don't release it on Playstation. It would hurt us PS3 owners, but not as much as the false hope this broken port gives. -Loco Expand
  65. Feb 17, 2012
    i already reviewed this but after seeing all the trolls on here i have to re-submit. me and many of my friends played this game for many, many hours on ps3. i played it over 140 hours myself. yes, there was some frame-rate and other minor stuff but considering how literally HUGE this game is it is just not that big of a deal. i'll bet at least half of these people giving the game 0 on here are just repeating what they've heard and not even trying the game. it's a great game, maybe the best ever. if you like rpgs you HAVE TO play this or you are missing out on the best. period. haters go get your platinum trophies (like me) and then tell me the game doesn't work. Expand
  66. Jan 9, 2012
    I enjoy this game greatly. sadly let down by the lag due to the PS3. i enjoyed the story lines and quests and equipment you could get. i enjoy seeing the elder scrolls series carry on and i play each game and enjoy them to each of their own merits.

my score does not reflect how i feel about this game just simply the console it is on i have pruchased this on pc and hopefully any of you
    reading this will too.

i was talking about trading this in, thought give it one more chance. got out of a town rode a horse a little ways out got off it, Crashed! next trip game shop cashed in got swtor
  67. Jan 27, 2012
    I got this for Christmas and have spent well in excess of 60 hours playing thus far. There are bugs that mess up some quests. But if you save often and recognize what's going on then you can usually go back and remedy it. But that is a valid complaint against this game. I am not having lagging problems. My friends report, though I have not oft experienced, the game simply freezing up. I got that a great deal with Oblivion. Not so much in Skyrim. I never lower the difficulty of a game, but I have friends that like that feature of this game. But those flaws notwithstanding, Skyrim is a beautiful, expansive and amazing game. I know the main story is short and i have not resumed it since I identified it. There are great puzle challenges, difficult battles, the freedom to create any kind of character you want and a thorough method of gaining experience. I truly love this game, notwithstanding its flaws. Expand
  68. Nov 29, 2011
    The only Elder Scrolls game I had played before Skyrim was Morrowind, and I hated it. Luckily, Skyrim is amazing and I love it. Immense world, limitless things to do, so many ways to play the game, good perk and leveling system, fun combat... so good. I played Skyrim for a week straight and still want more.
    My only complaints would be the few bugs and that the melee combat still feels too
    much like you're just trading blows instead of stylishly fighting. Overall, amazing game. One of my favorites of all time. Expand
  69. Dec 21, 2011
    To the idiot who creates hundreds of user accounts and then posts his 0 rating. Please be a little more creative. Each and every review sounds exactly the same. Glitches, stuttering, broken, ok, yea we got it. I'm sure your proud of yourself that you have completly skewed the rating. You also have way too much time on your hands. Get a life! Oh and by the way, I give Skyrim a 9 rather than a 10 because if the stuttering. Unlike the idiot who sits around all day creating new names I appreciate all the positives the game has to offer. Expand
  70. Nov 15, 2011
    At first, I was REALLY skeptical about whether or not Bethesda could live up to their promises. I played over 150 hours of Oblivion, and I was really absorbed into it. Long story short, once I heard that theme play on the main menu, I knew this game would be amazing. So far, I've put a lot of time into the game and merely scratched the surface. In my opinion, this IS one of the best games ever made. It took what Morrowind and Oblivion had added them together in a perfect package. Man, I feel sorry for those COD fans below. I spent longer exploring the world, ignoring the main quest than it took them to complete MW3's. Please, go back to playing your rehashed piece of garbage. I've got a whole world to get back to! Expand
  71. Dec 6, 2011
    This game lags but as I write this the serious issues have been patched, even before they werent serious. This game is absolutly beautiful and you owe it to yourself to play it
  72. Apr 3, 2012
    Skyrim is a difficult game to review. It has been the bearer of the single worst technical glitch that I have ever seen in a game. After I invested a large amount of time in it, the game re-payed me by becoming totally unplayable. The frame-rate dropped to a virtual standstill and the game would crash repeatedly. The result of which led Skyrim to become an unexpected dust-gatherer. But... I recently returned to Skyrim after a few months away to find the problems patched and the game actually playable again. Can I let bygones be bygones? Can I set aside all that frustration and truly accept Skyrim for what it is and not what it once was? If it wasn't one of the best RPG's of all time, the answer would be a huge NO. But it is, so maybe I can. Skyrim offers unparalleled depth and an almost infinite playtime. You can loose yourself in this world for whole days without batting an eye. It is, quite simply, one of the most immersive, brilliant games ever made. Expand
  73. Apr 25, 2012
    You can play and interpret it any way you want. This is Skyrim's ultimate joy. For me, the game is a nature simulator. There is nothing like wandering into the mountains to listen to the wind rustle amongst the trees, moon rising in the night sky, snow crunching under your weary feet. Somber music swells in the background from some unseen orchestra, and a deer scurries by delicately. Everything is serene and there is no reason to kill a thing. I Expand
  74. Nov 15, 2011
    Its literally breathtaking. so youve read the critic reviews which has scored this game in the 10s and 9s . with players finally getting thei hands on this game. Its going to be difficault to pin down everything this game has to offer. Beacuase its so damn huge. The first time i ever played the series was Oblivion , i had just recently purchased a PS3 in 2007, and was looking for the best titles available. I picked up oblivion , and RPGs were never my thing. Oblivion elderscrolls IV changed that forever. It took soo many hours from me and my bro, that we would argue over whos turn it was on their. Great game , a great laugh and one of the best titles ever to be released on next generation. i loved Bethstedas FALLOUT 3 series too. NOW SKYRIM after seeing the trailers and the build up to the game, it was certain that this game was going to be improved in every way. as soon as i played my first half hour, i saw how much more mature, serious and Epic the game looked, felt and sounded. IT seems much more serious. The game starts with you as a prisnor , i will not spoil the plot lines. But the game kicks off in a overwhelming EPIC fashion. You eventually set foot into the world, and you stand their overwhelmed by the gorgeous environemnt, lush trees, and mountain ranges, and the weather and air. The game engrosses you into the world of Skyrim. Next minute you are making your way into your first town. At this point i as an experianced RPG player was jaw dropped at how the atmosphere and the look of the game played out. The characters no longer are cartoony , they move with much better animations , and talk in a much more manner. At one point it makes you feel part of a large conversation. And it just worked sooo well. GAMEPLAY. - animations soo much better , its great watching your character fight in third person , and the finishes are satisfying to watch. -you now can be more than one class, magic and combat.. you choose you decide. -the open world really makes you feel part of the enviornment , GRAPHICS -EPIC ....... SOUND EPIC.... for example you can hear dragons , randomly .... and you will look up ! and around to find nothing. It will scare you ... the sound of beasts lurking in the forests... at one point i hear a roar from the sky , and nothing is their .. Now you as a person who wants to experiance next gen gaming RPGS... this game is going to literally take your mind INTO SKYRIM.. fallout 3 is able to do that , but SKYRIM does it on another level. This game is going to give you an experiance.. its going to do what games suppose to do , a form of escapism. for an hour or more, you will not be yourself, you will be your character in SKYRIM. ive played the game for two hours, and already im overwhelmed by the amount of story, plot, and the sheer size of the game. This is going to keep you for more than a year.. depending how you play it. the DLC . and again creating a new charcter in a new race. The games sheer size is literally astounding , im personally taking this journey slower , and much more laid back . I dont want to rush things, its one of those games where you want enjoy fully. People complaining about bugs and glitches really are trying hard to find negatives in this game... Bugs and glitche can be eradicated through updates, and these bugs dont even matter when you have a phenomenal world to explore. Of course in a game soo big their are going to be annoying bugs and glitches. However as i learned on oblivion some can be very Funny , espeically talking to some elf whos stuck in the wall. SKYRIM is probably one of the best games ever to be made. its phenomenal , this is a gem. i only needed two hours and think to myself ... How did they do this so well. I mean lush enviornments, huge world to explore. gameplay and combat which really has much depth to it. I mean i loved oblivion .. but skyrim improves on everything that oblivion developed. SO after almost 5 years we have a game which really makes oblivion look almost last gen .. its been worth the wait . IT NEEDS TO BE PLAYED. .......... IT NEEDS TO BE EXPERIANCED. ive played Oblivion, fallout 3 ,FNV, DRAGON AGE.. all great RPGS.. Skyrims looks and atmoshphere take you somewhere else. its an addictive game..... but one you will keep . the only reasons why you wont like this game, is if RPGS are not your type of thing, or you dont like exploration and a deep world. But then you are missing out on a great experiance. And to some of those who say that the game is taking from fallout 3 with swords and magic LOL. seriously i think ive heard similiar rubbish when fallout 3 came out, when it was " Oblivion with guns". complete and utter crap ! . I loved fallout , but this game blows it out the water, the animations , smooth and fluid gameplay. and the graphics, make this game one of the definitive experiances of this generation. Expand
  75. Nov 13, 2011
    Ok im not gonna give this game a 10 why because there are some fault in the game BUT i can say this is ONE of my fav games of this year and ONE of my fav games for the past 3 years.The music is fantastic,the story line is pretty driven, the characters pretty good the graphic is very on top BUT there are parts in the game where im like ehhh this seems too much like fallout 3 like i go under water and it just looks bland and nothing there and the way people talk gets kinda annoying other then those min things like the bugs dont even bother me. I would give this game a 9.5. Expand
  76. Nov 12, 2011
    Possibly the most epic/best game ever made. I've never seen a game as beautiful as Skyrim before. It is even better than I imagined it would be. What makes Skyrim such an epic game? What makes it so damn good? What makes it so damn... beautiful?

The environment and the soundtracks is so good that you wish you could just live there. As you play, you won't even notice that you've been
    playing for 12 hours straight. Skyrim's not just a game, but another world. I nearly cried at the end of the story line. But even though you have completed the story line, you have PLENTY of other things to do. Go slay some dragons, learn all the shouts, do side-quests, buy a house or get married. Endless possibilities! With over 300+ hours of playtime, I think that this is one of those must have games.

Haven't you played Skyrim yet? What are you waiting for? Go buy it right now! You won't regret it.
  77. TeN
    Nov 12, 2011
    Im giving it a 9 because in some way it looks like graphics could have been a bit better. It is because of the game industry is making games for consoles and port them down to the PC. Plus i had to set and add stuff in an .ini file, for the mouse to react directly instead of feeling sloppy.
    But the overall feeling and gameplay makes up for all of those (my) negative things. Noticed no
    freezes and/or bugs yet, it feels very stable overall. Expand
  78. Dec 5, 2011
    An amazing, open world, game to get lost in. Which unfortunately like every Bethesda games before is plagued with bugs that keep it from being a perfect 10. But, still an incredible RPG that will keep you engaged for hours on end.
  79. Nov 15, 2011
    One of the greatest games of all time. Takes a crap on both Oblivion & Morrowind. It is what Oblivion wished it was. With all the improvements and added content that Oblivion left out. Skyrim is a complete game.
  80. Nov 13, 2011
    If you want to feel free and a true nordic warrior, Skyrim is your game!. You have a lot of secondary missions and you can´t be bored never!. If you like rpg games, this is your game. The graphics are great, maybe they are not the most spectacular on this generation, but the giant map, the enviorement and all arround this game its great. The music its amazing, fits perfectly with the action or the exploration moments.

Great game, but maybe if the graphics were better, this game could be the perfect game.
  81. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is amazing! Yes there are bugs, but that is to be expected with such an incredibly large game. I'm still in awe at how huge the world is, how many quests there are, and how much there is to do. There is so much life in this game and the detail is jaw-dropping; I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion because their worlds felt dead to me and I was never inspired to explore or quest... Skyrim is different. The dungeons are unique and creative, the boss fights are fun, and the quests are exciting! People interact with you constantly, making the world feel alive. On top of all of that you have the massive, beautiful environments plus all of the stuff you normally get with Elder Scrolls games (professions, great music, etc.) What am I doing even writing this review? I should be playing Skyrim! Expand
  82. Nov 15, 2011
    It is always difficult to rate a Bethesda game (at least for me). When it comes to open sandbox worlds that are enormous it is safe to say Bethesda holds one of the top positions in that genre. At top resolution Skyrim is graphically beautiful. Like many of Bethesda games however, it can lag at times and at lower resolution the graphics can look shabby. I think in today's gaming world your home entertainment products dictate much or what you game will look like. On it's own Skyrim is beautiful. Gameplay is exciting and full of the usual adventure you would expect from this title. I love the open world exploring and diversity of the game. I didn't feel like I was in a copy and paste world full of templates that some developers use for their games. Each room, tunnel, and cave had it's own unique personality. The melee fighting is still sloppy (as per usual and for me, expected) but the ranged combat is still fun. The ability to use both hands make for some cool customized ways to take out opponents. The biggest complaint I have (surprise!) are the game breaking bugs. I am on my second play through. My first play through caught a bug in Winterhold after doing a quest for the Jarl. For some reason I was offered a duplicate quest (getting the helm for the Jarl to gain him respect) when I brought the second helm back to him (found in a different location?) he refused to take it from my inventory and following the quest all subsequent quest items were not being removed from my inventory by the NPC's once I completed the quest. So basically all quest items were stuck in my inventory. This obviously would have become a big problem down the line so after a few more hours of game play I erased my PS3 files for Skyrim and started from scratch. Many complaints on Metacritic relate to these bugs in Skyrim. I guess I know that Bethesda pushes the hardware for the systems it uses and makes the game so huge that I expect bugs at this point. It would probably take a million testers 5 years to find all the bugs with a game this size. I don't condone nor condemn Bethesda for these bugs; I have come to expect them and accept them. They have never acknowledged their games are bug free and even before releasing Skyrim talked about an online patch system they have because of the expected bugs. For those who complain...you should have known by now what to expect and know by now the key rule to a Bethesda game: Save often.
    Overall, this is one of the best games I have ever played (been playing since the 2600) and I would encourage anyone who loves adventure, randomness, and discovery, to play this game. Save often and enjoy one of the best open world games ever made.
  83. Nov 12, 2011
    Over all I have put about 6 hours into the game is its falling a bit short of what I was hoping it would be. This is just a well done re-skining of Oblivion. People look about the same, world looks about the same. The thing I don't like the most is that you can feel that this is a console port. The controls are just not well thought out and kind of messy. The fighting stile is ok but not very good. The game play its self is very good, story is very good, missions and quests are well thought out and well put together. I give it a 7 just because of how bad the console to PC port is and the lack of updated graphics is a let down. I paid $60 F***ing dollars for this game and it feels like a game from 2005. Expand
  84. Dec 1, 2011
    Never has a game captured my attention like Skyrim has. After a brief introduction the game unleashes you into a massive world where you are free to roam about and explore till your hearts content. There are plenty of towns, landscapes and dungeons to visit. All full of NPCs who always have something interesting to say, which usually results in sending you off on a new quest to fulfill. None of the quests I've encountered had any time constraints so you are free to tackle your long to-do list as leisurely as you desire. The leveling system is very dynamic and the game adapts to each players own style, in addition to this, enemies scale to your level so there is no need to level-grind, making the game always challenging but never overbearing. With so many things to do and see you will never be bored in the beautiful world of Skyrim. Expand
  85. Nov 13, 2011
    What this game lacks is a sense of polish, not in terms of graphics and textures, but of capability. Bethesda in 2005 created Oblivion, which by those years' standards was a complete overhaul in capability in consoles. They did it once again to Fallout 3 in 2008. This time however they convened story more so than clarity, while not negative, it does bring away the sense of style Bethesda could have done with the game. This is the Fallout:New Vegas of Fallout 3, with more polish and more story. There is no denying that this game is goregous, but it could have been much better. The lasting appeal is on the highest level imaginable, the story is fantastic, and the time spent during this journey is all that it needs to hold that true. Capability is the only thing drawing this back from a perfect 10. Something Uncharted 3 and Arkham City hold. A well deserving 9/10 Expand
  86. Nov 12, 2011
    Magical is really the best word to describe this game. Sure, the close combat is not that great, but everything else is amazing. They really improved on the magic and I love that. The menu system takes a little time to get used to for those of us who have played Oblivion, but it's so simple once you do. The graphics are astonishing. You can tell they really tried with all the little details. There are some bugs, but what do you expect? Every game has bugs. Expand
  87. Nov 12, 2011
    Brilliant game, A step up from Oblivion. Massive open worlds, hundreds of quests and stories, This game will last you months. Just immerse youself!

A few bugs here and there which is to be expected from such a massive and complex game. But .....meh!! Who cares, Its Elder Scrolls, its the best western RPG franchise to date.

BUY IT !!!
  88. Nov 13, 2011
    I love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and do other quests. There are side quests with amazing detail that aren't even part of the main campaign.

I'm giving it a 9 though because there are a few technical issues I don't agree with.
  89. Nov 16, 2011
    I purchased Skyrim on launch day, and once I started up the game, there were no load times, no advertisements, no logos besides Bethesda's but a clean interface going straight to the menu screen and new game. Starting and playing the game itself is like living in a fantasy world. The music, sounds, graphics and everything make you feel totally immersed. This game is improved from Oblivion in every way because there are no game breaking bugs, crashes, graphic, or performance issues, and the ones that they do have are very minor and can be patched. I have played about 35 hours so far and I can say that this game is a masterpiece. I have only been to one city so far and have been doing quests only in that city. I have not even gone through half of the quests yet as I have a long list of things to do, and each quest doesn't feel generic like other RPGs' fetch quests and kill quests. There are 8 more holds in the game, so I know I can expect much more than the 300 hours Bethesda advertised. Overall, I can't even begin to describe what this game offers and how much you can do in it while having so much fun. Expand
  90. Nov 14, 2011
    Fantastic fun game that does a great job immersing you into its world. It feels like it looks and I love the setting, coldy windy, norse mythology mixed with the deep story and background of Elder Scrolls.

It rings familiar of Oblivion but the characters feel like real humans and while still not exactly pretty don't rip you our of the experience any longer. The simplified skilling system
    is perfect for me because i dont want to get my calculator out and permanently worry about messing up my "build". I can understand if you liked that part of the previous games you might be dissapointed by that. For me it balances out to a great value and I look forward to a long winter in Skyrim Expand
  91. Dec 7, 2011
    I am about 75 hours in with a 12 MB save file. I've had frame rate issues, crashing, PS3 freezes to the point you have to unplug. Things have gotten much better since I turned off ALL the auto save functions. I would advise doing the same if you want to continue. Still experience frame rate issues from time to time but not nearly as bad as it was when I was finishing the main quest, which ironically was a little too short considering how much content there is in the overall game. Unfortunately I'm addicted to this game and wish a final solution would come out from Bethesda. Actually thought about buying the game on Xbox and starting over , but I don't want to reward a company that just stuck it to me with this great yet frustrating game. They should not have shipped the game knowing it was this buggy on PS3, or delayed the PS3 rollout. For you PS3 folks turn off the auto-save. I have not crashed since doing this, just experience minor frame rate issues after fast traveling a long distance. Expand
  92. Dec 10, 2011
    This is the most awesome game in the world!
    It doesnot matter for what plataform you buy it, you will get the most amazing experencie in video games of all the time.
    And for all those people who complain about the PS3 bugs and glitches, just turn autosave off. It really worked for me!
  93. Nov 12, 2011
    Sure to take out GOTY 2011, Skyrim is everything that I wanted to follow in this series after clocking up hundreds of hours wandering Vvardenfell and Cyrodiil respectively. Other than a few minor bugs and issues (that have not seriously affected the gameplay) this game is arguably the best RPG to come out of the gaming industry since its 2002 predecessor Morrowind. With none of the copy & paste repetitiveness that is Oblivion, Bethesda has moved to better things with every character looking and sounding different (come on, in Oblivion I got déjà vu from the races looking and sounding exactly the same). With rich textures and images, that have literally stopped me from continuing my journey just to look at the wonderful details, I actually get the feeling that I am stalking a camp of bandits or fighting a monstrous, deadly dragon just because of the mechanics of the game. For those of you with doubts on whether or not to buy this game, seriously if you are anything like me you will spend the better part of a day playing it, only to sleep and dream about it until you are able to pick up on where you left off. Expand
  94. Nov 12, 2011
    A vast improvement from the last Elder Scrolls. With new graphics, better leveling system, better looking character models, and don't forget dragons. The combat system is even better and you can fight how you want to fight. Like duel-wielded swords, blunts, spells, and even shields. Third person view is actually better then previous games like oblivion or fallout but you will probably prefer 1st person. Since its a RPG. Its bound to have bugs and no surprise there are. But won't make the game frustrating. Also fighting dragons often will get boring or sometimes annoying. BUT GET THIS GAME Expand
  95. Nov 13, 2011
    If you like RPGs - you will LOVE Skyrim. Sure, there are glitches and bugs here and there (messy textures, floating NPCs etc...) but these are to be expected with this huge vast world to explore. I already spent ~18 hours playing and barely covered even 10% of the world and quests.

In this day and age of repetitive multiplier games that involve killing each other in different settings
    (halo, mw3, bf3 etc..), it is so refreshing to just kick back and explore a vast fantasy world all by yourself.

It brings back the reason we all like games - to be immersed in a new world and just have fun. Trust me, you will lose hours/days playing this w/o even noticing.

Game of the year for me despite the 9/10.
  96. Nov 13, 2011
    let me just start of by saying that this game is probaly one of the best rpg's i have ever played. All you people reading this review are probaly "thinking hold on a sec how can you make such a bold statement".This game has exceeded my expectations skyrim is filled with massive amounts of quest which are all fun and interesting in their own way. skyrim also has a perk system which lets you play the way you want to play as. Todd Howard wasnt lieing when he made that statement.The graphics are visually impressive aswell. This is a must have for any role playing fan,also this is Bethesdas best work. well bye everyone I gotta go back to playing skyrim Expand
  97. Nov 13, 2011
    this could had been the game of the year without any problem, but the unpolished textures, boring dialogs, lot of bugs and glitches. dropped it to a normal low game. some graphic treatment for example like assasins creed brotherhood and some better gameplay would put it in another leavel. too much hype for this. we are entering 2012 boys, we need top notch graphs! not this messy system!!
  98. Nov 14, 2011
    Great game, very immersive, it's not perfect due to some small issues like minor popins, some ugly textures (only if you look for them honestly) and some bad shadows, but personally, they don't take anything away from the game for me. It lets me do what I want to do. You have to try it and see it for yourself, don't trust any review you read because this game isn't for everyone, but the ones it is for, it's almost perfect. Expand
  99. Nov 15, 2011
    Yes, yes, yes.
    GET THIS GAME! Where do i start. The new engine looks amazing in action, there is an endless (literally) amount of content.
    (Once again i stress ENDLESS) and its going to F**** UP YOUR LIFE!
    You play as a Dragonborn who can perform "Shouts". You start of about to be excecuted before *Not going to spoil*. After that your thrust into a world with infinite possiblities. Murder
    everyone? Go help village people?

To steal from another review, It's a fantastic virtual experience, deep history, superb gameplay, beautiful graphics, majestic music, in short, an incredible journey for all people who love video games. Its exactly that. Go do your PC, Xbox or PS3 proud and GET THIS GAME! Even if your not into this sort of stuff, it just may convert you.

Oh and, there ARE bugs, just thought you should know. Nothing game breaking.
  100. Nov 15, 2011
    I didn't dislike Oblivion but I didn't like it either. I was aprehensive about buying Skyrim. I was used to most elderscrolls game with their shoddy hit detection and sub-par 1st person and 3rd person views. This game has changed my opinions of the Elderscrolls games. The character customization has changed radically since previous installments. The detail has gotten better and the models look more realistic. Expand
  101. Nov 14, 2011

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]