6.2

1. Nov 2, 2012
    Mix the animations of Fallout 3 (2008), the Engine of Oblivion (2007), a big world full of uninteresting stuff to do and with no impact in the game's universe and you get Skyrim.

I would give 1 for the Soundtrack, but the Bugs represent such a disrespect for the gamer (that many people seem to forget that it's a consumer afterall).
    In my very first attempt to play it i've got really
    upset. After i've pimped up my character and chosen it's race, he's conducted to a death penalty. While i'm waiting for my head to sliced a dragon appears, and everyone runs... and i'm waiting to get control of the character, and i've waited almost 10 minutes. Even if the Dragon was cliping it wings in front of me giving me a hope that it's suppose to be like that, i just gave up after 10m.

After 1 year ladies and germs, the PS3 version still faces issues.

Game of the Year of 2008 perhaps... but never in 2011... not in my book (Fallout won in 2008 with better design and a plot much more interesting than Skyrim). But well... it seems that are a lot of guys that need to live a second life to compensate their lack of skills in other social departments. And i'm possibly one of those dudes, but please feed me something good. The RPG genre evolved with the concept of Skyrim, but the execution doesn't live up to the expectations and it's a shame.

Neverthless... it's GOTY of 2008, so it should be mandatory for any real gamer to try it.
    I know i will... in 2013, when the number of bugs are reduced to 162.
  2. Apr 29, 2012
    I am no fanboy. All of the glitches, bugs, and lag and all of the flaws cannot keep this game down. In reality, no game flawless. Humans tend to make games with flaws, probably because they aren't perfect. This game is a masterpiece. It's the best in the series. From playing the previous games, mostly Oblivion on the Xbox 360, I have grown used to the lag and occasional freezing, but if you have the autosave feature turned on, you barely have to make up anything you have done between the most recent autosave and the time of the freezing. Simply turn off the console, and turn it back on. The cutscenes do need to improve greatly in the future, but the point of the games is gameplay. First off, you can customize your character deeply to your preferences. Up next is combat. Dual-wielding can be used for weapons and magic, adding much variety to the game, not to mention the Dragon Shouts. These make you a medieval Jedi, like Unrelenting Force, which can either make your enemies studder, or it can throw them off their feet. Also, finishing off enemies by performing finishing moves is just plain satisfying, having each weapon perform its own unique move. Plus, you can now sprint. After that, there is the Story. The dragons are a fun and new innovation in the series. The Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, Mages Guild(known as the College of Winterhold) and the Fighter's Guild(known as The Companions) all return to the series to offer unique Quest lines. Finally, the graphics. Skyrim has the best graphics of the series, as it should. I know a lot of people are frustrated with all of the bugs, but looking past the bugs, this game is just great. Expand
  3. May 15, 2012
    Battle was clunky at best, just too many bugs for me to give it a better score. Exploring the huge map lost its appeal far too quickly. And I am a huge fan of the hack and slash genre.
  4. Jun 11, 2012
    Skyrim was an amazing game, although it had its flaws. If you want to have a good story, then play it. Dragons aren't impossible to kill (in fact, there are many things that are harder like Dwemer Centurion Guardians). After all of the updating that the jackasses at Bethesda did, the game shouldn't crash (or it will only crash if you play it for 10 hours straight) so long as you turn one of your autosave options off (I turn off autosave on fast-travel because you fast travel a lot). The main CONS:
    The Main Questline is really short, and you won't level a whole lot from doing it (I test the story lines with fresh characters and I only got to level 11 or so from just the main questline, and after you level enough, it becomes extremely slow leveling). The Stormcloak Rebellion part of the questline is also very short (although you might get to level 14).
    The other questlines are actually moderately long and have you do different things other than kill this, report to him/her. The other questlines will actually level you quite a lot as well (and doing side-quests, although annoying, is better than the main questline for leveling). Aggro was fixed somewhat, although if you accidentally hit an NPC that isn't a companion you will get bounty, although if you accidentally hit a guard in the heat of combat it may or may not trigger assault charges. There also are a couple of quest bugs that can prevent you from completing quests, including some quest-givers that are not essential characters, so if a dragon or something slays them you are screwed, and every once and a while the dialogue won't trigger and you have to reload (I've had that happen three times in my however many days of gameplay hours).
    PROS:
    Rich story
    The actualy 100% completion of the game takes quite a long time because other questing takes longer than main quests
    There is a lot of lore, like in all Bethesda games
    Skyrim is a hell of a lot more like Morrowind, and less like Oblivion
    FPS doesn't have many problems after the series of updates
    It is almost impossible to have a totally broken character because the spell-making system was removed, and everything now has negatives (like werewolves are extremely powerful, but they won't last long in full on combat with multiple enemies).
    Dual wielding and Deadly reflex are automatically built into the game.
    There aren't any negatives to races anymore (I.E. you can actually be a High Elf Warrior, and you aren't Epic Derpsauce)
    Build your own class based on what you like (there is no longer a cookie-cutter build)
    And if you are like me and love RPG's you go out of your way to immerse yourself by studying ruins and such haha.
  5. Jul 25, 2013
    I just bought the Legendary Edition, at this point the only worth buying. this game is a breath-taking experience that immerses you in a world you beautiful, so complete and full of wonder that you can only stand in awe. One of the top ten must have games of this generation! A must for every gamer in the WORLD!

If you buy the pc version, you can get the super duper HD graphics pack but
    the console version feels slightly better for the sole purpose of the gaming experience, but that's just me, I like the overall console gaming more than overall pc gaming.

I have both the pc and the ps3 versions and there's no other game I find more re-playable and full of subtleties that makes it different every time. For the international gamer, such as myself, a word of advice, play it in english, I don't know about other translations but the spanish version is good but the original is slightly better. I would not say is bad or not encourage you to play it, but it just feels a little less brilliant, but that's just me nitpicking.
  6. Aug 28, 2013
    It's the most addicting PS3 game I've ever played. It occasionally freezes, but I haven't noticed any other bugs like others have mentioned. Leveling up and trying to get all your stats to high levels are really fun. Kinda reminds me of when I used to play Final Fantasy Tactics and tried to unlock all the job classes for my main character. I've already put 50 hours into this game and can easily see myself putting in another 50-100 hours. Expand
  7. Nov 26, 2013
    I find it ridiculous that people have given this game a ZERO just because of its bugs. The only other justifying reason for saying this game is bad is that the combat is somewhat mellow. It really depends on your taste, and besides, it can get really frantic at times. The bugs aren't unforgiving, but they are somewhat understandable. Games this size normally have their fair share and Skyrim is no exception. Frankly, the shear content is enough to sell this game. Firstly, the map is HUMONGOUS. Not only that, but it's also fun to explore and there is plenty of quests to urge you TO explore it. There's normally something close to where you are, be it a temple or a village, each with something interesting in them. That's the thing with Skyrim, you never know what you're going to get. A house could have in it a chest filled with loot or a group of skeletons.

There's a real sense of adventure in every quest and in just exploring the map. That's the beauty of Skyrim, and any Elder Scrolls for that matter: a quest might want you to kill a certain bandit or monster... but you could just as easily walk 50 miles in the opposite direction, place a basket on a dog's head and then kill it. It's very rare for a game to evoke such a sense of freedom. Many a quest will offer some way of going off the path. You could help an NPC through a dungeon, only to be told he is carrying a priceless artefact and you are given the option to kill him. There's just so much to do: craft a weapon, buy a house, get married, go on a quest, become thane of a province, the list goes on. It's one of those games that will take completionists hundreds of hours to do everything there is to do. If anything, it's well worth the money.

However urgent the main story quest at the point seems, you can always forget about it for a few days and spend your time doing other things. However, the storyline is amazing. The idea makes you feel epic: you are what is known as dragonborn, half man half dragon, and you are literally the only one that can stop the dragons from destroying all of Tamriel. It truly is the end of days... if you cannot do anything about it. This is exactly the right setup for a game of this setting. The world truly feels in danger; dragons attack villages and castles all the time. These battles are truly a visual spectacle, but you can eventually learn a dragon's movements fairly easily. That said, it never really gets old to see a dragon crash to the ground leaving a huge trench of dirt as they skid across the ground. The ending is great, but the final boss is a bit easy. I would recommend, if you are a high level, to bump up the difficulty.

Overall, there's no reason a fan of RPGs, or simply video games, would not enjoy this. I ended sinking so many hours into Skyrim and was happy to do so! I urge you to get this game. You owe it to yourself if you own a console or decent PC. And, don't you go stealing anybody's sweet roll, now!
  8. Nov 20, 2011
    Im playing the game since yestarday ... and i must say that is incredible ! No dought ! Is goty 2011, big map, big history, all is big, all work, all have life, i love this game! Goty 2011!!!
  9. Dec 21, 2011
    To the idiot who creates hundreds of user accounts and then posts his 0 rating. Please be a little more creative. Each and every review sounds exactly the same. Glitches, stuttering, broken, ok, yea we got it. I'm sure your proud of yourself that you have completly skewed the rating. You also have way too much time on your hands. Get a life! Oh and by the way, I give Skyrim a 9 rather than a 10 because if the stuttering. Unlike the idiot who sits around all day creating new names I appreciate all the positives the game has to offer. Expand
  10. Nov 17, 2011
    There is a good game in here somewhere, it's a shame there are too many bugs to see it. Dont wait for patches either, Bethesda/Obsidian/Zenimax have never patched a PS3 game to the point it was as playable as the 360 or PC version.

Huge dissapointment, wont be buying from Bethesda/Obsidian/Zenimax again.
  11. Dec 5, 2011
    DON'T buy this game. It's broken, flawed, buggy and badly designed. it WILL run at 10 FPS after you play half the game and it WILL make your console crash, risking corruption of all your data.

The game itself is like Oblivion but refined and made barely prettier, but that doesn't matter when you can't play the game you bought.
  12. Dec 9, 2011
    GAMING SCANDAL OF THE YEAR. This is up their with Activisions release of the shocking Atari 2600 title E.T!

Bethesda took all of our money to fuel development costs for other systems. Beware, Skyrim is BROKEN and all we are hearing is HOT AIR. NEVER BUY BETHESDA AGAIN!!!

If it worked, it would be a 9/10. But it doesn't.
  13. TeN
    Nov 12, 2011
    Im giving it a 9 because in some way it looks like graphics could have been a bit better. It is because of the game industry is making games for consoles and port them down to the PC. Plus i had to set and add stuff in an .ini file, for the mouse to react directly instead of feeling sloppy.
    But the overall feeling and gameplay makes up for all of those (my) negative things. Noticed no
    freezes and/or bugs yet, it feels very stable overall. Expand
  14. Dec 19, 2011
    Revised Review: After submitting my original review I have been able to play 2 weeks without ANY major bugs even though my save file is now at 12 Meg (No slow down, and no freezing, etc) I'm not sure what happened, but I'm now a very happy gamer. Even though my original experience with this game was tainted, I still love this game. (please see other reviews about gameplay, graphics, etc.) A warning for those who want all achievements: you may want to check ahead of time to see what quests are for the Daedic Artifacts. There are a few quests where your choices will not allow you to get the achievement. Expand
  15. Jan 24, 2012
    After hours into Skyrim, I think it would be safe to say that this is one of the best games Bethesda has ever made, and may be one of the best games out there at the moment. With patch 1.4 coming soon, many problems should be fixed. This game deserves its score. And the critics agree. Let the poor saps who rated this game continue on with their other games. Skyrim is my choice.
  16. Nov 15, 2011
    It is always difficult to rate a Bethesda game (at least for me). When it comes to open sandbox worlds that are enormous it is safe to say Bethesda holds one of the top positions in that genre. At top resolution Skyrim is graphically beautiful. Like many of Bethesda games however, it can lag at times and at lower resolution the graphics can look shabby. I think in today's gaming world your home entertainment products dictate much or what you game will look like. On it's own Skyrim is beautiful. Gameplay is exciting and full of the usual adventure you would expect from this title. I love the open world exploring and diversity of the game. I didn't feel like I was in a copy and paste world full of templates that some developers use for their games. Each room, tunnel, and cave had it's own unique personality. The melee fighting is still sloppy (as per usual and for me, expected) but the ranged combat is still fun. The ability to use both hands make for some cool customized ways to take out opponents. The biggest complaint I have (surprise!) are the game breaking bugs. I am on my second play through. My first play through caught a bug in Winterhold after doing a quest for the Jarl. For some reason I was offered a duplicate quest (getting the helm for the Jarl to gain him respect) when I brought the second helm back to him (found in a different location?) he refused to take it from my inventory and following the quest all subsequent quest items were not being removed from my inventory by the NPC's once I completed the quest. So basically all quest items were stuck in my inventory. This obviously would have become a big problem down the line so after a few more hours of game play I erased my PS3 files for Skyrim and started from scratch. Many complaints on Metacritic relate to these bugs in Skyrim. I guess I know that Bethesda pushes the hardware for the systems it uses and makes the game so huge that I expect bugs at this point. It would probably take a million testers 5 years to find all the bugs with a game this size. I don't condone nor condemn Bethesda for these bugs; I have come to expect them and accept them. They have never acknowledged their games are bug free and even before releasing Skyrim talked about an online patch system they have because of the expected bugs. For those who complain...you should have known by now what to expect and know by now the key rule to a Bethesda game: Save often.
    Overall, this is one of the best games I have ever played (been playing since the 2600) and I would encourage anyone who loves adventure, randomness, and discovery, to play this game. Save often and enjoy one of the best open world games ever made.
  17. Nov 11, 2011
    An awesome game, very fun. One of the only games that I've played that lived up to its hype. The game play is awesome and fun, the graphics are good not the best but still beautiful. The music fits perfectly with the scenic of the game, the only complaint I have is some of the sound effects sound low quality.
  18. Nov 12, 2011
    Over all I have put about 6 hours into the game is its falling a bit short of what I was hoping it would be. This is just a well done re-skining of Oblivion. People look about the same, world looks about the same. The thing I don't like the most is that you can feel that this is a console port. The controls are just not well thought out and kind of messy. The fighting stile is ok but not very good. The game play its self is very good, story is very good, missions and quests are well thought out and well put together. I give it a 7 just because of how bad the console to PC port is and the lack of updated graphics is a let down. I paid $60 F***ing dollars for this game and it feels like a game from 2005. Expand
  19. Dec 6, 2011
    I can't review a game I can't even play. 50 hours in and the game becomes a slideshow. http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-ps3-skyrim-lag

Avoid this version at all costs.
  20. Dec 6, 2011
    5 years. 5 years I have been waiting for this game. Oblivion had a few bugs here and there but nothing that couldn't be ignored when thinking about the scale of the game; after all, it WAS the Game of the Year in 2006. Back then I would've thought the very idea of giving the sequel to such a stroke of genius less than 9/10 to be laughable. However, here I sit, with my near-enough unplayable copy of Skyrim in my hand. I will give anyone considering buying this product for the PS3 a warning: DO NOT. If you're thinking that we are just being melodramatic and whiny, you sure have a shock in store for yourself when you foolishly decide to play this game for a sustained period of time. Bethesda has always been awful when it comes to Playstation but this is just ridiculous. If it doesn't lessen it's obvious favouritism soon then I can guarantee it will lose itself an awful lot of consumers. I don't see how they couldn't have forseen this glaring, major flaw in their product. Patches have been promised, however, which I pray fix the issue; if not, Bethesda has no way to redeem themselves and I, for one, will have simply had enough. We have put up with these 'issues' for a long time and now I no longer have the faith to defend the game, or the developer. Fix the problem. Expand
  21. Dec 12, 2011
    Skyrim is a Great Game! But it suffers from Random Frame Rate drops & Possibly will freeze on you. But It's not a Deal breaker. Game is great i recommend it but can't give it higher then a 7
  22. Dec 6, 2011
    Shame on you Bethesda ! It's broken on PS3 and you don't care ? I'll wait to see Skyrim under 5$ to buy it on PC ! That's all you will get from me .
  23. Nov 13, 2011
    This game is huge and beautiful. If you like single player RPGs than this game is a fun buy. I think the biggest improvement in this game is the leveling and perk system, as well as the dual welding spells and weapons. In the previous Elder Scrolls games I was mostly playing as a battlemage, but because of the new leveling system I want to play a strict magical character. The leveling system is balanced enough where you're not punished for picking a class type, which makes this game so much more re-playable. I'm already 13 hours into this game because of the vastness of it's map size and content. I'll get to the main mission eventually. As far as the dual casting/welding goes. It's a lot of fun and the animation or rendering is awesome. The enemies fry, burn and freeze in really cool ways. I almost feel bad for them.

As for as cons for the games go, there are a few bugs (but what game doesn't), but for the most part it's really smooth (considering how much is being rendered). I've read reviews of peoples' systems crashing, but my computer is pretty high-end (crossfire 6870) and I'm running at ultra-high settings and I'm having few difficulties. The UI isn't as seamless as I like particularly from a weapon selection perspective and quick swapping. To choose between weapons 'quickly' you need to favorite a weapon or spell. If you want to choose quickly the game pauses and the selection is permitted with no damage penalty. I'd prefer the 'no-pause' where a mouse-wheel could help selection my next weapon system or some sort of key binding.

Overall, I really happy with this purchase as it's a fun game for me to play. It includes a variety of ways to combat opponents and play the missions. I'll give this game a 10, because there is no other game of this genre that compliments my play style and story needs. I've been anticipating this game for a couple years and Bethesda has not let me down. A great purchase. Thanks Bethesda
  24. Dec 5, 2011
    It's tought to rate Skyrim in a fair way. All these 10 points (or 100 percent) reviews implicate that Skyrim is THE perfect game. It is far away from being a perfect game. On the other hand the 0 point review indicte that Skyrim is a terrible game but again: It's also far away from being a complete malfunction. So, here are my 2 cents: Skyrim makes fun, lots of fun, and has a huge )ingame) world but it also has some problems. First of all there are - of course - the problem nearly every Bethesda RPG has. Lags and Freezes. It's unbearable what Bethesda does to the PS3 community every time they release a RPG. It's nearly a fraud that they get our money with games that a obviously just ported to the PS3 without much work for the actual PS3 version. But besides technical issues the gameplay also has some flaws. The Smithing & Enchanting skills are way too overpowered. With Smithing & Enchanting at 100 each, you easily get the best weapons and armor in the game. It's pointless to play Quests (which often involve boring tasks like "FInd item x", "Kill enemy Y" or "Bring item Z to person A") and get an item as a reward if your own crafted weapons are waaaay better. At least Bethesda knew beforehand knew that this could lead to problems. That's why they introduced for example an armor cap at an armor rating of 567. Brilliant idea, Bethesda.... now, tell me why I should use a Heavy Armor if I already an reach the cap with a Light Armor? The Light Armor adds less weight to your inventory and it needs less stamina and you're able to move faster. Why should I use a Heavy Armor with an armor rating of 1170 if only 567 armor rating are getting calculated in fights? That's strange....

Nevertheless, I spent 94 hours in Skyrim so far and I didn't even finish most of the side quests and even with its lags, freezes, overpowered weapons, a bugged patch and the stupid AI (you'd come to the conclusion that every second room in Skyrim was designed intentionally the way so that your AI companions are able to block the doorway) it's still a fun game.
  25. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is everythimg i wanted it to be and everyone else. GOOD GRAPHICS MASSIVE WORLD AWESOME COMBAT SYSTEM.....THIS GAME IS DEF. WPRTH THE 60BUCKS AND MOST LIKELY WILL WHEN GAME OF THE YEAR......THE GAME WAS SO GOOD THAT THE MIDNIGHT RELEASE LINE WAS AS LONG AS A FOOTBALL FIELD..
  26. Nov 14, 2011
    This game is absolutely amazing! I am 30 hours in ( the length of most games) and I feel like I have barely scratched the surface on the brilliant game.
  27. Nov 14, 2011
    Good, this game is diffidently worth the buy. Imagine a giant world that you can immerse yourself into and that's skyrim. You do not have to play the other games to understand Skyrim.
  28. Nov 14, 2011
    Now this is a game. After the travesty that was MW3 this has been a godsend. Very immersive and fun to play. My game of the year. Looking forward to putting in another 100 hours.
  29. Nov 13, 2011
    It's an amazing game. From the set-pieces, such as the great intro, to the magnificent vistas and the populace of skyrim, it just makes you want to play more and more of it. Don't be surprised if at some point you've said "ok, i'm just going to finish this quest and then i'll put down the controller, have to wake up for work tomorrow" just to realize, after what seems to be maybe half an hour, that dawn is coming and you've been playing for hours and hours. In my opinion it's one of the games that I would fully recommend to anyone, whether they've played any of the other Elder Scrolls or not. Expand
  30. Nov 11, 2011
    If it's not broken, why fix it! Oblivion was a masterpiece and Skyrim is just a fine tuned and HEAVILY expanded version of it. I'm only about 10 hours in and have encountered minor bugs that otherwise do not take anything away from the experience! Mr Howard; TOP NOTCH WORK LADDY!
  31. Nov 15, 2011
    I have never been much into RPG's or any type of dragon/demon magic type game but holy cow this game has made me a follower. I would throw my wallet at the guys who made this I love it so much.
  32. Nov 11, 2011
    I Love This Game!!! iam so turned on by it!!!
    I wanna make love to it!!! I wanna make baby's with it!
    I wanna worship it!! I wanna scream at it!!!!

Michel
  33. Dec 7, 2011
    It was buggy right from the start. character creation menu, remember that? Took forever to respond. Then it got laggier and laggier. **** you Bethesda. That Howard Todd is a lying piece of ****
  34. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim graphic is a bit poor compared to other games in that area and let fall a few stitches. But we were there within hours and used to have for the rest of the game as a heavy drawback experienced, though for himself how important the graphics are.

The graphics however, we have all had significant criticism. "Sure: For Elder Scrolls fans of the first hour, which did not even Oblivion,
    Skyrim will in many respects, not deep enough. Who Skyrim game itself looks like, however, no other conclusion than that this is a great rpg. The atmosphere of the game completely sucks you in and the story lines, with all the variety in it, strengthen it simply.

Rarely have we seen a game world that is so profound as elaborated Skyrim. The written specifically for this game dragon language to how villagers respond to you, watch the game with details and use them. Skyrim is everything an RPG should be for us, and more extensive than we can ever show in a review. The game is true on all sides and balance combined with ditto quests and a few impressive moments that in itself is worth to play this game. Whoever feels a little bit of fantasy should not miss this game.

Pros

+ Some views are superb
    + Open world, total freedom
    + Impressive moments, especially in the main quest
    + Many opportunities, many quests
    + Original quest lines
    + Better than Oblivion level system
    + Dragons, including their language
    + Shouts provide a powerful feeling

Cons

- Graphic moderate, especially animation and facial expressions of characters
    - Some minor bugs, as well by patch release to be solved
  35. Nov 11, 2011
    Skyrim is the kind of game that really stands. The attention to detail is mind blowing. People will be playing this for days and months. On the PC load times are nearly nonexistent, I have yet to havethe chance to really read or admire the load screens, which is both a good and bad thing as they are interactive and have lore bits. The graphics on ultra running at 1920x1080 are flooring. This is truly a HUGE jump over Oblivion in regard to visual fidelity. Melee combat is also vastly improved and solid feeling, magic has a definite weight to it in SkyrimFinally the amount of content... Like I said days, weeks of gameplay and huge replayability. If I had to choose one game to have the rest of my life and only one, it would be The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Expand
  36. Hyu
    Nov 11, 2011
    One of the greatest game this decade. This game feels great, looks great and has a fantastic open world atmosphere. I hope it will win GOTY this year. It's sad to see all these MW3 fanboys giving it 0.
  37. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is just amazing! I really enjoyed Oblivion loved it even. There is plenty to explore, many side missions that are available just by visiting cities. Some people have given this a bad score don't listen to them they have no idea what they are thinking. This is my favourite RPG game to date nothing in my mind can compere to it! The horses and water effects and how it works are better than before. It is the same for the menus and how you level up and become better. If you get this game you will not be disappointed. Expand
  38. Dec 11, 2011
    I played the game and thought to myself it was amazing until it got repetitive, the quests are pretty much the same and once you pass the story there is really nothing to do, you barley see a dragon and once you get 20 dragon souls that's it, it is very easy to level up and that's without all the glitches that help you level up, absolute garbage,this is not worth the $60,this game gets boring after an hour,same old same old,it also gets broken along the way, do NOT get it.. Expand
  39. Nov 12, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Don´t have fill to beat Lord of rings war in north, is so weak,but deserve be bought for many fans and pepole that don´t know the serie,in the right way, i think that i´ll try to finish the game,that appear be so big. Expand
  40. Jan 3, 2012
    Revised: Really buggy. There are a bunch of missions I can't finish because of bugs. These missions wont prompt you to do anything further and allow you to move on. These are minor side-missions however so the bulk of the game is still awesome. Although, the bogging down/fame rate issue on PS3 is really frustrating. My advice would be to buy this game on Xbox if you have the option. My score went from a 9 to a 7 because of some of the mission crippling bugs. Expand
  41. Nov 13, 2011
    If you like RPGs - you will LOVE Skyrim. Sure, there are glitches and bugs here and there (messy textures, floating NPCs etc...) but these are to be expected with this huge vast world to explore. I already spent ~18 hours playing and barely covered even 10% of the world and quests.

In this day and age of repetitive multiplier games that involve killing each other in different settings
    (halo, mw3, bf3 etc..), it is so refreshing to just kick back and explore a vast fantasy world all by yourself.

It brings back the reason we all like games - to be immersed in a new world and just have fun. Trust me, you will lose hours/days playing this w/o even noticing.

Game of the year for me despite the 9/10.
  42. Nov 13, 2011
    This game really is amazing. They took everything that worked from oblivion, and made it stronger in every way possible. This is an incredible, huge and immersing game. If you have played Oblivion, Morrowind or any of the Fallout games - You need this. If you haven't ever played any of these games, now is the best time to start. Of course, Skyrim has it's minor glitches - but with a game this big, it would be impossible for it to not have them. 100% recommended buy. Expand
  43. Nov 13, 2011
    Haters gonna hate. to those of your complaining about the game? its the same people with any new release. cry and moan about how this that and the other. I swear some of the complaints i have seen must be hired critics or something cause seriously? shotty graphics? get a better computer, the game is not gonna look the same for everyone unless we're all running the same system? this game brings so much more depth then the previous releases. two thumbs up for sure a recommended buy. Expand
  44. Dec 7, 2011
    ps Maybe they should have a warning on the box "This game is still under construction"

This industry needs regulating. What other industy could get away with fleecing several million people with a duff product?

Let me tell you that this game is **** up, slow and glitchy. Bethesda are known for creating buggy games and it continues here for the PS3.
  45. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is straight up amazing. Haven't had this much fun with a game in forever. Tons of explorable areas even outside quests. The quests are fun as hell too. All sick classes for all kinds of players. No complaints
  46. Nov 14, 2011
    Great game, very immersive, it's not perfect due to some small issues like minor popins, some ugly textures (only if you look for them honestly) and some bad shadows, but personally, they don't take anything away from the game for me. It lets me do what I want to do. You have to try it and see it for yourself, don't trust any review you read because this game isn't for everyone, but the ones it is for, it's almost perfect. Expand
  47. Nov 14, 2011
    when game was only announced my only hope was that it will be on same level as obsidian's New Vegas (that was good enough game). But now I can honestly say, Skyrim is better. It even better than Morrowind an eve Daggerfall (my previously best game in TES). Bethesda fixed most mistakes of their Oblivion and Fallout 3 and deliver us, in my opinion, best RPG at this moment. I don't want describe all new features - new great dialogues, non-linear quests (that really on close level to witcher 2) all these aspects made on very high level, so you just need to play and enjoy. But there three main themes that people are afraid of: simplification of rpg system, graphic and one I called "It is the same oblivion". I don't understand people who blame skyrim about this. New RPG system is not simplified - it become more variate and more organically fits into gameplay. Yes there are less skills but I like it very much (in spite of me as big fan of most hardcore system as it was in Daggerall). Graphics... all who say that graphics is bad and same as in oblivion, first I advise play in Skyrim couple hours then asap play in Oblivion (without graphic mods) to compare. Second I advise to understand - it is ONE HUGE WORLD, where you can't just make fake stage where game strictly controls you - where you can see and where not (like COD, Uncharted and even Witcher and ME sometimes). BUT even with all this difficulties game looks great on consoles from 2006! Also if you play on good modern PC there are lots of additional graphic options like additional shadows, Ambient occlusion etc., that make picture even better.
    My main poit is - this isn't "same as Oblivion", it is BIG step forward in all aspects and best game in TES for me now. This game shows what other series like DA, ME of Witcher can't - big really living world
  48. Nov 14, 2011
    It's important to think about the terms 'vision' and 'commitment' when evaluating your own experience of Skyrim. Those two terms do not always mean 'new' or 'innovative' as some may expect, but instead connote selection, judgment, taste, quality, and balance; all of which are apparent in Skyrim. Using tools developed during the creation of other titles, Bethesda set out to realize the Elder Scrolls world more completely than ever before. The vision of the game demanded that Bethesda focus on mood, atmosphere, immersion, lore, and story, and the effects of this choice can be felt in nearly all the systems of the game. Combat is simple because the objective of the game is not to be a fantasy combat simulator, while crafting is simple because the game is not meant to model the workings of a pseudo-medieval society engaged in various handicrafts and manufacture. Skyrim is meant to display the incredible breadth of imagination and creation that is possible with a well-funded AA title; the scope of the title is something that other developers cannot match and I believe that 'scope' is the mission of this title - as well as its defining factor. All other systems in the game have been constrained and simplified to support this feeling of scope. Therefore, attacking Skyrim with the philosophy of 'kill everything, loot every dungeon' is going to drive you absolutely crazy. If you rate the entertainment value the game will provide after completing every challenge, it would probably be a 2 out of 10: you're in for a lot of tedium. You're not meant to grind combat for 20 hours during your playthrough, because that limits the scope of your experience. Furthermore, such an attitude violates the very spirit of an RPG: no character would ever stand around whacking monsters to achieve a '100' score in one handed weapons. Similarly, walking around picking flowers for alchemy will get fairly boring after the novelty wears off. However, the character would improve themselves so that they could kill an interesting Giant Frost Spider and see what goods lay behind the beast. The alchemy, combat, item, and crafting systems all model ancillary experiences to the main pleasure of exploring one of the most fully realized game worlds to come along, ever. If you focus on the secondary aspects of the game, your experience will be similarly second-rate. Picking goals that are important to you and playing to achieve them is just as important as following the main story line. However, the game does fall down somewhat in choosing to drastically simplify combat, as combat is the way that your character interacts with most of the game world's non-human speech incapable characters. If Bethesda had applied their vision of scope to the behaviors of creatures and vampires, where every encounter is both dangerous and different, then Skyrim would become something akin to religion or life-experience rather than mere game. I imagine a scenario where Bethesda purchases and integrates From Software's talent for deep combat into the next Elder Scrolls title. Maintaining Skyrim's amazing level of scope and adding an additional layer of danger, difficulty, and tenseness present in Dark Souls or Demon Souls would be a peerless combination. In summary, the fantastic far outweighs the flubbed in Skyrim. Everything from the graphics (they are clearly good enough), to the amazingly reactive soundtrack, to the little side conversations that happen around you as you stroll through a town, supports the feeling that you are involved in the goings-on of this land called Skyrim. As a player, you have a choice, and also a responsibility, to make your hours in the land of Skyrim count. Part of the charm and the difficulty of open world games is that there's no guiding hand to prevent you from ruining your own experience. The developers have made freedom readily available and if you want your play experience to be: 'I sifted through countless barrels in the hopes of finding a Doomsword! Then I gathered every flower in a four square mile radius to try all possible combinations!' your experience will be eclipsed by a player who reports 'Using whatever tools I had on hand, I slew a mighty dragon and gained the fabled power of the Voice...' Expand
  49. Nov 14, 2011
    Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,Awesome,
  50. Nov 15, 2011
    I didn't dislike Oblivion but I didn't like it either. I was aprehensive about buying Skyrim. I was used to most elderscrolls game with their shoddy hit detection and sub-par 1st person and 3rd person views. This game has changed my opinions of the Elderscrolls games. The character customization has changed radically since previous installments. The detail has gotten better and the models look more realistic. Expand
  51. Nov 17, 2011
    I should give this game a 0 for hor the addiction level! This game is awsome! This is a game thats worth $60. Unlike other games that just release the same game every year to *Cough Mw3 Cough*
  52. Nov 25, 2011
    Skyrim is a really good game despite the few problem i found.No games are perfect and with a few patches,this game should be good to play.They work so hard to develop this game unlike cod mw3
  53. Nov 16, 2011
    It is what it is. I am writing this after my 5th or so game ending bug. Infinite load screens, broken quests, and ugly overlapping sound issues about. It's not a BAD game, but it IS too large, way too buggy, and overall FEELS like Fallout 3 with a coat of fantasy paint (not the nicest coat I might add). Overall I got swept up in the hype and had to have it. As I finish writing this, I am going to pop Dark Souls back in and REALLY be transported to another world. I'm sure I will come back to Skyrim sometime, but right now, this is just SUB freaking PAR. Expand
  54. Nov 17, 2011
    I have been a fan of the Elders Scrolls series since I played Morrowwind and its expansions on the original Xbox. I continued the series going into Oblivion with knowledge that bugs may be apparent due to the extensiveness of the quest and the amount of open world changes the game tries to keep track of, those issues where apparent in Morrowwind and not so much as Oblivion, but now we are on to Skyrim the company's latest console attempt and by far the worse in terms of bugs. When the game runs perfectly it is a masterpiece that shines above its predecessors in every way and I recommend everyone plays this entry, because I know in my heart Bethesda will bring out a patch. Now to justify the reasons for playing this buggy journey are excellent combat controls (I'm not a fan of the new favorite system, but it works. I wish they would have let you map your selection to the D-pad instead.), massive amounts of quests, a beautiful open-world, great music score, and an excellent story (possible the best story so far in the series). Another thing to point out is the interactions with characters seem more approaching in this game, you feel like you want to speak to the NPC's. This is the perfect example of a Diamond in the Rough. Expand
  55. Nov 18, 2011
    Game of the year candidate. The few flaws, which are rather prevalent in this type of game, can be forgiven for all the things the game does well. Beautiful graphics, amazing music and a well written story make this a must have for anyone looking to go beyond the insipid boom-fests that most other games deliver.
  56. Nov 18, 2011
    Outstanding. I HATE rpgs... seriously, i can't stand them... but this game... wow. So much to do, so much to explore, and the game is freaking gorgeous!
  57. Nov 18, 2011
    This game brought me back to gaming after a year long hiatus from gaming. To be perfectly honest, little has changed within that period of time in the gaming world. Bethesda should be ashamed for releasing another lackluster title after Oblivion. The UI is awkward to say the least, the textures are a mixed bag depending on your location, the game play is boring as usual, the storyline is boring as usual, the graphics are substandard for a 2011 game, the audio is less than satisfying and seems very similar to Oblivion. The game continues to suffer from frame rate, pop-up, and graphical issues. The fighting controls and movement is outdated and clunky. This is inexcusable in 2011. The one shining star is the atmospheric conditions that add to the immersion of the game. I am thoroughly disappointed in this game after reaching level 15. If you are interesting in wasting time exploring a less than interesting world this game is for you. Bethesda, thanks for ruining a much over hyped gaming experience. It is an average game at best. Expand
  58. Nov 19, 2011
    I actually didn't buy the game on release, i got talked into it by friends, i am not a big fan of rpgs which has it's base in first person... So i started the game and i was sure i was gonna hate it... However i have never in my 20 years of gaming been more pleasently surprised, the third person mode is actually playableand the game has beautiful surroundings, the choices in playstyle are massive, it's the best game i have ever played, it have also turned me from a trophy junkie to a good game junkie.... Great work, music and everything Expand
  59. Nov 20, 2011
    Amazing! So much better than oblivion. A true masterpiece. Bethesda just keeps putting out some of the most amazing games. It will pull you in and take over your life. Thank you so much Bethesda.
  60. Dec 6, 2011
    Skyrim is an excellent game hidden under many game breaking bugs. Unfortunately due to the huge marketing behind the release date 11/11/11...the game was rushed in order to meet the date. Two weeks after the game comes out...Bethesda releases a useless patch which actually breaks the game further. I'm fed up of being a games tester for a company more interested in profit than the satisfaction of it's customers. Head on over to the Bethesda forums to view the ongoing trouble across all three platforms. Expand
  61. Nov 21, 2011
    I never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim, and I admit that I rushed into buying it the day it came out but I am really glad I did because it really is an amazing game. Sure, there are a few things that need to be fixed up but that can be expected with a new release. I highly recommend buying Skyrim, you wont regret it.
  62. Nov 24, 2011
    The only reason I can't give this game a 10 is because every time I play for more than an hour the game starts freezing and lagging like CRAAAAZY. Very annoying. But other than that I am addicted to this game. It's not one of those games you can play for 3 hours a day and beat it and be done with it. You can play for hundreds of hours and still have missions to do in this game. This is my first Elder Scrolls game I bought but I will def be buying another. Great Job Expand
  63. Nov 25, 2011
    I cannot praise this game enough! I really did not get on with Oblivion. It had a steep learning curve and came accross quite dull to me. In Skyrim they have simplified the gameplay, made the quests far more involving and exciting and generally improved the feel of the game. This is a huge leap forward in my opinion. I am not sure how people can say that this game has no substance. I cant stop playing and have now been playing for arounf 60 hours on quests alone! Amazing depth and dare I say I may even replay the game which is rare for me.

Simply put...AMAZING!
  64. Nov 29, 2011
    This game is great it is huge and there soo many things for you to do that it can even overwhelming at times. However the major flaw in this game for this console is the frame rate. I do not remember oblivion having frame rate issues, and they are in actuality the same size. They have released the 1.02 patch that has improved the frame rate issues but has not eliminated them entirely. i can tell you though that it is not nearly as bad as it was, and if Bethesda keeps working at it then I'm happy I guess. Although they really should of fixed this before releasing it, and none of the critic reviews ever mentioned frame rate issues which really pisses me off. Makes you think that some shady business is going on there. Expand
  65. Nov 27, 2011
    I have spent around 80 hours in it, and have accomplished nothing of significance. I enjoy the beautiful sunset and sunrise like a goof. Read every damn book I can find. Cook everything I can muster. Talk to every single person, irrelevant or not. Work the mill, or the grain, not knowing what the hell it does. Why? Because this game lets me live and play exactly how I want too, and it is near perfection in every category. Well, kinda buggy. But those are often funny haha BUY or DIE. Expand
  66. Nov 27, 2011
    This game is amazing. Great graphics and endless possibilities are to be found in this game. Might be tough to get through some quests but that's the fun part, you gotta think to get through. I do recommend!
  67. Nov 29, 2011
    Skyrim, this is a game that will not let you live your life: you will be at work, thinking of this game, making out with your girl, Thinking of Skyrim. A beautifully crafted world, where you can almost smell the environment, If you do not own this game.. it is a must, not possible to just rent. I would give an in depth review, but there is no need.. because you just have to trust the reviews on this one... Unless of course you don't like good games.. in that case, COD is the clear choice for you. Expand
  68. Nov 30, 2011
    This game is amazing. I sit and play it for hours but it only feels like a few minutes. All of the side quests make you feel like you are doing something important and that you really can influence this world. If you are not playing this game you are missing out.
  69. Dec 5, 2011
    I'm giving Skyrim a big fat juicy 0 simply because even though the game is great and looks amazing it has one thing wrong with it and we all know what that is LAG. The lagis game destroying and Bethesda's 1.2 patch HAS NOT FIXED THE LAG. Most people are pinning this on large save files and memory leaks. However a Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas head developer has quoted that the chances of the PS3 version being fixed is slim to none. Bethesda have frankly knowingly released a game that is fundamentally broken and until they fix the PS3's lag problem and have the game running silky smooth. Then the game is just not worth buying as you will never be able to enjoy it to its fullest extent. That is IF they bother to fix it. Expand
  70. Dec 5, 2011
    Bethesda has created a beautiful world with Skyrim... but unfortunately, if you're playing the PS3 version, you won't be able to explore it. Skyrim on the PS3 is a completely BROKEN game. I can deal with minor visual anomalies and the odd crash here and there. But the problem with the PS3 version of Skyrim comes from it's strange file-saving system. As you progress in the game and explore the world, your save file gets bigger. As the save file gets bigger, the bugs become more and more apparent until they take over your entire gameplay experience. Here's just a few of the reported bugs that I have also experienced myself:
    - SEVERE frame rate drops (we're talking slide show, here)
    - Game freezes and crashes that become more frequent as you progress
    - Dragons that will not attack - Questlines that can't be completed due to quest givers being completely bugged.

These are just a few of the issues that the majority of PS3 players are experiencing. I wanted to love this game. I really did. I do love Bethesda games despite their bugs (which eventually do get fixed). But the conjecture here is that the PS3 just can't handle the engine that drives Skyrim, therefore, it may never be fixed. I, like many others, are short $60 and have a game sitting here that's no more useful than a place to set my drink.
  71. Dec 6, 2011
    This would be a great game if it wasn't for the bugs, the framerate issues and the way it basically collapses in on itself the more you play it. If it worked, I'd give it a ten. Right now I'm giving Bethesda a zero, because this thing needed a lot more time in the oven before it was done. Don't sell me a broken product and expect to get away with it.
  72. Dec 5, 2011
    GAME IS BROKEN and 100 % GLITCHED - beware............(check skyrim bethesda forum for details).

Game was unsuccessfully ported to PS3 which occurs in lags/freeze and graphics of N64 !
  73. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is completely broken. With the patch, Bethesda only found a way to break it more. Never trusting these guys again with my money. Future Bethesda titles will be purchased months after release and used with 0% of the money going to them.
  74. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is unfinished and now it's unplayable. I feel cheated for buying a sub-par product. The constants frame rate drops and the freezes rendered this game unplayable. If someday Bethesda fix this, I'll give it a better rating.
  75. Dec 5, 2011
    "Pirate this game, don't buy it"

Skyrim is probably one of the best games I've played in my 25+ years of gaming, certainly a strong contender for best game this generation, and without a doubt a 2011 GOTY winner. Unfortunately, that only applies when the game actually lets you play, which isn't the case the majority of the time once your file size has reached a certain limit, then the
    game becomes a slide show as others have mentioned. With a game this ambitious you can expect there to be hiccups, but not of this magnitude, and what's most disappointing is how ignorant and unprofessional Bethesda has been in regards to these issues, and to their fans, the same fans who are the reason why great creative minds such as Todd Howard have a job that they love, something that most people are not fortunate enough to be blessed with, which poses the question. Does Todd Howard really love his job? is he truly as passionate as he's led us to believe? Because I for one would be ashamed to release such a mess and ask people to pay for it, then ignore their cries for help, unless of course my bottom line was dollar, which seems to be the case for Bethesda, such as musical talents who release some amazing work until their worth rises, then the hunger dies, the passion fades, and it just turns into a means to make another million. To anyone who is interested in buying this game, please reconsider, not only for the PS3 but for any platform. I'm against pirating, but I implore you to pirate this game, don't buy it. Steal from those who have stolen from so many of us and laughed all the way to the bank. Bethesda knew about these problems, they remained ignorant to them after many of their fans voiced their concerns, and continue to do so. Professional gaming sites such as IGN and EuroGamer have called you out Bethesda, and you are yet to respond. Because you simple don't care. There's a reason why Bethesda didn't ship out PS3 copies to review sites, instead forcing them to physically go to the store and purchase them on release day themselves. Because they knew the game was broken, but they didn't care. It's unfortunate really, makes me sad because games like this are a beacon of hope that the industry hasn't completely fallen victim to kinect like gimmicks and 60 dollar DLC packages. But after playing this game and seeing first hand how poorly it has been executed, it makes me realize that the gimmicks and rehashes aren't so bad after all, at you know that your getting a product that works. Expand
  76. Dec 6, 2011
    Good graphics, good story, good sounds, big beautiful world to explore.. but that's pretty much it. That's why I give it a 4. This review is an honest one, and I'm not even taking into consideration the amount of game breaking bugs and frame rate issues this game has. The gameplay, combat system, level design, Artificial Intelligence and User Interface are all mediocre or average at best. I do not understand how such an average game can get scored 9 and 10 by supposedly professional and impartial reviewers. Especially when a game like New Vegas, who was much better than Skyrim in every possible way (except for graphics) was scored only 8. That doesn't make sense to me. Has the game industry really sunken so low, that we consider appearances and quantity more important than gameplay and quality? Now with all that said I will say that Skyrim is still fun to play.. when it works properly that is. That is why I strongly suggest you get it on Xbox360 or PC instead of PS3. But even then, I do not believe that this game deserves the title of GOTY. That is an absolute insult to all the other developers who designed much better games this year. Expand
  77. Dec 6, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The game is completely broken , at first everything looks fine, but after a while this lagfest and stutterfest takes over and never looks back. Do not buy this game, the people at BEthesda should be ashamed of this fiasco and scam/ Expand
  78. Dec 6, 2011
    Despite of the first GREAT hours inside the world of Skyrim, it soon became a torture, where I couldnt play in that awesome open world, swing my axe in glory. The lagfest started and made it unplayable. Instead of telling people not to buy, I would recommend waiting for at least 3 more patches before buying it. A game that should be GOTY became the most shameful frustration of the year.
  79. Dec 6, 2011
    Unfortunately this game is broken. Many people get horrendous game-breaking lag after about 40 hours into the game. Don't buy the PS3 version until they get it fixed or you will be wasting your money.
  80. Dec 7, 2011
    Works perfectly well for me! I would call myself a casual gamer with a daytime job. So I usually play during evenings and have reached level 13 during 14 hour game time. The game contains smooth graphics, interesting story and landscape , huge landmass. A lot of features for a RPG and if you love RPGs, this is a must buy! I rather walk around then use any means of fast-transport and I recommend it! The nature and world is stunning to live in and plot your way to fortune and fame. Expand
  81. Dec 7, 2011
    Skyrim is a beautiful game, full of fantastic vista's and well voiced characters with depth and emotion. The UI is a joy, devoid of any distraction to the enjoyment of the game and the music carries you along on the adventures you'll have.

Then you lag and stutter and eventually your beloved PS3 says enough is enough and crashes. Once you start having to check your HDD for errors after
    playing the game, you quickly decide not to risk it and instead go play something else.

Skyrim really should have been a 10 from me, but the issues surrounding the lag and broken quests which can so easily infect your save game meaning that 40 hrs of game play is down the drain means I simply cannot say it is fit for purpose.

4 out of 10 is all I can give it and even then I think that is misleading, as you cannot complete the game nor explore most of it without encountering the issues noted above.
  82. Dec 7, 2011
    While I have not experienced the lag yet I have encountered numerous quest bugs that have left me wondering how this game made it past beta. I do not recommend purchasing this game for the Playstation 3.
  83. Dec 7, 2011
    There are too many issues with this game and should never have been released until they were fixed. The lag was bad but the longer I played the worse it got, now they game will not play. I load the game play for 5 min and freeze. So as of now Bethesda I have a $60 paper weight.
  84. Dec 7, 2011
    This game started out amazing, but its technical issues have made it almost unplayable. I only say almost because I could probably play it if I completely turned my playstation off and then turned it back on to load. Needless to say this is ridiculous and prevents any kind of immersion or getting comfortable. Ignoring these problems, the game is unplayable because there is no guarantee that it will not freeze and require a hard reset even if i stop every thirty minutes. This cannot be good for my PS3 so I am uncomfortable playing it. Aside from the major frame rate and crashing problems, there are tons of broken quests, items that won't leave inventory (and thus are permanent weight), horses disappear forever (even unique ones), etc. Bethesda seems to say the earliest any of these smaller problems will be fixed is January, but they have been silent about any prospect of fixing the serious problems. If you have more than one platform DO NOT play it on PS3, if you only have PS3 don't buy this until GOTY comes out and even then I would check to see if the problems are fixed (skeptical) first. It is really a shame because it had so much potential, but releasing this game like this without any warning or acknowledgment of its fatal problems is inexcusable and completely irresponsible. Expand
  85. Dec 7, 2011
    All the potential in the world, virtually none of it delivers in its current state. The PS3 version of this is absolutely broken and Bethesda's handling of this issue is even worse. Now we know why no professional review companies were given a copy of PS3 pre-launch like Xbox and PC were and we also know why no PS3 game footage was shown prior to release. This game is abysmal.
  86. Dec 7, 2011
    Part 1: A definite 'buy' If you want to amuse your friends with Dragons that fly spastically backwards, Weapon racks that fail to activate (oh hold on... that is Whiterun only... my Windhelm one activates and places the weapons 'through' the wall), Mannequins that have their assorted body parts that vanish when adding your armor for display, Book shelves that no longer activate to hold books and of course my favorite... LAGGGGGGGGGGGG. Expand
  87. Dec 9, 2011
    I strongly suggest you wait until the game of the year edition is out and hopefully by then they'll know exactly what's wrong with the PS3 version of Skyrim and how to fix it. The gameplay is great, but in it's current state it is unfortunately unplayable.

Sadly their strategy seems to be to rush a game to market, then frantically try and patch the issues while their customers QA it.
  88. Dec 9, 2011
    Bugs should knock a gaming masterpiece down from a 10 to a 9, not from a 10 to a 0. The number of people that gave the game a 0 is truly indicative of one thing: trolls are truly whiny deep down. Big games will have a few glitches. Not every game will provide the instant gratification that Call of Duty does. Get over it.
  89. Dec 9, 2011
    Don't buy this game for PS3! Bethesda's track record on PS3 titles was horrible, and this one isn't any better. If they can't make a technically sound game on the Playstation 3 console, they shouldn't release one. It's unfortunate, because the game itself is great under the technical mess that is their game engine. The first few hours are great, but once your game file gets to a certain size it begans to stutter and freeze to the point that it becomes unbearable. Keep in mind that I haven't even mentioned the multitude of gameplay glitches and bugs - there are people who can't even complete the main quest! Don't pay for a broken game, otherwise they will keep putting them out. Expand
  90. Dec 9, 2011
    THIS IS ONE OF THE BEST GAMES I'VE EVER PLAYED!!! Yes it has bugs, and it can be frustrating. BUT that is expected in a game of this calibre. Play for a few hours and you will be immersed in this game like you never thought possible. The massive world provides variety in creatures, towns and dungeons. Don't let a bugs ruin this magnificent masterpiece. BUY IT!!!!
  91. Dec 10, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS GAME. This game should have never been released and is full of bugs. Bethesda should be sued for trying to get away with this. My money would of been better off with the suites on Wall Street. Really Bethesda how with a conscious mind could have you done this. Fvcking greed, so how do you feel now. You guys are the terrorists of the gaming world. I'm done with you.
  92. Dec 10, 2011
    Despite this being an excellent game, IT IS NOT PLAYABLE ON THE PS3 (after you hit around 6-8mb) save file. And when you hit 6-8mb you probably haven't even experienced half of it yet! Something needs to be done.
  93. Dec 11, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. To all of the 0's, you don't write reviews on bugs or glitches. You write about how the game-play, story, combat, etc. is and how the game is supposed to be played. Also, 1.2 removed the lag and soon the resistances will be fixed. Anyways, Skyrim is the best Elder Scrolls game yet. This is utterly amazing due to the fact that Morrowind held this title for 9 years due to the size and story. Skyrim leads you on a quest as the Dovahkiin, a person born with the soul of a dragon. This gives you the ability to learn Words of Power by absorbing the souls of dragons. As all the previous Elder Scrolls games, you can avoid the story completely, but you won't learn some of the words of power. The Daedric quests have been improved also. Instead of just going to the Shrine of a Daedric Prince and getting a quest like in Oblivion, some of them will start by entering a certain location or talking to a certain person. Back to the shouts. They intertwine with combat so well that you can be deep in a fight and use a shout to turn the tide of the battle. It doesn't feel out of place or overpowering, as they have to recharge on set amounts of time based on strength. To keep balance, Bethesda included enemies that can wield the Voice too. The story also includes game changing moments. If you join the Civil War, you can change the guards at each city based on who you joined. The factions make a return with the Thieves Guild in Riften, the Companions in Whiterun who are the new Fighters Guild, the College of Winterhold in Winterhold who take the place of the Mages Guild, and the Dark Brotherhood who are much more complicated to join than last time. Each of these have a unique story that adds to the experience and feels like it fits. Combat has a nice flow to it now, including execution style slow-motion attacks and decapitations with certain perks. The perks add a new level of experience to the game allowing you to create a mage, a soldier, a thief, an assassin, etc. You can go up to a maximum level of 81, with a soft-cap of 50. To reach 81, all skills must be 100, creating one of the most epic of challenges to accomplish. Each race feels unique within the game, except the Argonians abilities are not as useful as they used to be, as there are very few reasons or places to go underwater, but their resistance to poison and disease are useful. As one last reminder, the game has a patch and has become the ultimate PS3 game. For any problems with the game, there will always be patches, and the reason for so many bugs is the size of the game. The map is massive and so beautifully detailed that they wouldn't ever be able to catch every single problem with the game. The PC version was bugged and is now fixed. The X-Box version was bugged and is no fixed. The PS3 version was bugged and is now fixed. Fix the 0's and give this game the credit it deserves. Expand
  94. Dec 20, 2011
    I ended up buying it on 360 after beeing scared away from the PS3 version, and I've been having MAJOR MAJOR performance issues. They include extreme texture pop-in (like minutes late for environments and characters), frame rate drops, and most concerning frequent and REALLY violent system crashes. The first 6-8 hours were fine, but everything went downhill afterwards. It's really taken the enjoyment out of the game for me. A friend of mine has it on 360 and has sited similar issues (but it doesn't crash as frequent). I asked a few of my buddies about their experience with their PS3 copies (which they've been playing constantly) and one has had no major problems while the other told my the slowdown issues he's experiencing render the game unplayable. I've messaged a lot of my XBL/ PSN friends about their experience with both versions, and it's a 50/50 split on both sides with people siting only minor (and expected) bugs and people who are having their enjoyment gutted. I guess the game in general is flawed. My 360 version man... I'm afraid it'll kill my system. Expand
  95. Dec 21, 2011
    I really did love this game at first but the frame rate lag & freezing started to drive me crazy to the point where i was turning red and pulling my hair out, i continued to deal because i still did have fun with this game(when it allowed) and loved so much about it, however when the dampered spirits thieves guild quest ending glitch hit it was the nail in the coffin, a video game has never made me this sad, i have a level 49 fully thief themed/perked character and i cant even complete the thieves guild,( too much time invested to start over)i would love this game if it let me complete my favorite faction quest! i don't know if they will ever patch it( please bethesda!!) i will change my review if they do, but until then i shall remain broken down and upset with skyrim. If you plan on getting this game i can't recommend buying it for PS3 until they work out the quest ending glitches and frame rate issues, but other than that, this could be one of the best games ever made. Expand
  96. Dec 22, 2011
    **** this ****en fairytale game who the **** wants to fight with little ****en trolls dont buy this game its for little **** also why is this game of the year it should not even be in the top 100000000000000 games
  97. Dec 23, 2011
    Got to agree with most people, fantastic game and value 150 hours so far, but someone needs to be taken out an shot, simple as that, whoever yeah just release it with all the bugs etc. Kill him!!! Cause that what I felt like doing every time it crashes.
  98. Dec 30, 2011
    OMG your kidding right! This is probably one of the best RPG ever!! I can't understand the reviews at all unless this is a joke played by trolls who have nothing better to do.
  99. Feb 6, 2012
    First of all, I've played around 65 hours worth of the game and have had little or no bugs, so my review will be based solely on that experience. If I was to sum up Skyrim in one word, it would be Epic. In fact, if it were possible I would change the meaning of Epic in the dictionary to Skyrim. The sheer scale of the game is absolutely mind-boggling. I haven't even touched the main quest yet, and I don't think I will for the foreseeable future, such is the sheer amount that can be done in the various side quests. I won't give a massive description of the game as I'm sure you already know what the game is all about. If you're looking for a game that gives you value for your money, Skyrim is an absolute steal, and for those who are experiencing bugs/glitches, I've heard that Bethesda will soon release a patch that they hope fixes these problems. Now go buy Skyrim! Expand
  100. Apr 9, 2012
    NOTE: This review is written after the FPS issue of the PS3 version of Skyrim was patched.
    Huge, realistic and epic at the same time. That's what this game is. After you get out of the tutorial dungeon, you have the free will to do what you want. In every sense of the word. You are free to go where ever you want to, interact with almost everything in the world, gain reputation as a hero or
    a villain, join different factions, etc. Every NPC has his/her own scedule that they repeat every day. There are literally hundreds of places to discover, quests to complete, things to do and enemies to defeat. The AI is one of the best of this generation (although some weird things can - and will - happen). The graphics are very beautiful and you will never get tired of them. Same with the music. It's simply beautiful. The leveling system is great and hasn't anything to complain about. I'll say it now so you know it: you shouldn't buy Skyrim because of its main story. There is so much else in the game and in the end, the story's not that great compared to the other questlines. Also yo should know that this is a HUUUGE game and huge games tend to have lots of bugs. Not an exception in Skyrim. Don't worry, they're being constantly patched by Bethesda, so you won't have to suffer from them. Expand

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]