6.4

1. Apr 3, 2012
    Skyrim is a difficult game to review. It has been the bearer of the single worst technical glitch that I have ever seen in a game. After I invested a large amount of time in it, the game re-payed me by becoming totally unplayable. The frame-rate dropped to a virtual standstill and the game would crash repeatedly. The result of which led Skyrim to become an unexpected dust-gatherer. But...Skyrim is a difficult game to review. It has been the bearer of the single worst technical glitch that I have ever seen in a game. After I invested a large amount of time in it, the game re-payed me by becoming totally unplayable. The frame-rate dropped to a virtual standstill and the game would crash repeatedly. The result of which led Skyrim to become an unexpected dust-gatherer. But... I recently returned to Skyrim after a few months away to find the problems patched and the game actually playable again. Can I let bygones be bygones? Can I set aside all that frustration and truly accept Skyrim for what it is and not what it once was? If it wasn't one of the best RPG's of all time, the answer would be a huge NO. But it is, so maybe I can. Skyrim offers unparalleled depth and an almost infinite playtime. You can loose yourself in this world for whole days without batting an eye. It is, quite simply, one of the most immersive, brilliant games ever made. Expand
  2. Nov 18, 2015
    Out of all the hours I have played Skyrim, I have had only one real game-breaking bug which was when I lost my companion, Lydia. I could never find her and couldn't get her replaced. But other than that, the gameplay is fantastic. Really addicting.
  3. Dec 11, 2011
    after almost 6 years we finally get the next elder scrolls game and after much hype does it live uo to what i had hoped it would be? for the most part yes the game looks amazing in the graphics department , there is a ungodly amount of stuff to do , the game now feels more of a challange unlike oblivion did , fighting dragons is awsome the charcter models look great unlike oblivions andafter almost 6 years we finally get the next elder scrolls game and after much hype does it live uo to what i had hoped it would be? for the most part yes the game looks amazing in the graphics department , there is a ungodly amount of stuff to do , the game now feels more of a challange unlike oblivion did , fighting dragons is awsome the charcter models look great unlike oblivions and the creat a charicter has been streamlined . the game has a new level up system which is simaler to the old elder scrolls games but is differnt and took it awhile to grow on me as you no longer have a set of prefered skills that level you up faster. the games story isnt bad but like most ES games it doesnt stand out as most people just get sucked into all the extra stuff there is to do. there has been alot of raging on the games frame rate slowing down to near unplayable levels and ive had a friend tell me the same others have as well. i my self have over 120 hours into the game did pretty much almost every thing there is to do and have only encountered that slow down a few times and only lasted 1-2 minuites and went away so i cant complain about it personally.. but i can understand people raging against this game over it if they have gotten it alot. other then that one of my gripes is you still can not fly... well why the hell not? i miss that from morrowind. also the load times are abit long and i would think with the install to the ps3 you could speed that up alot more. over all i loved skyrim i put a 120 hours into it and had alot of fun and the game had me hooked from the first hour to the last. Expand
  4. Feb 28, 2012
    Many will disagree completely with my review in terms of the score but , I'm not going to talk about the technical difficulties. TES:Skyrim could be even stated as an " update " to the already good stuff from Oblivion , graphically Skyrim manages to be superb and beautiful . The snow particles , fogs, the blizzards in the North are gorgeous . Bethesda Softworks put efforts in the combat,Many will disagree completely with my review in terms of the score but , I'm not going to talk about the technical difficulties. TES:Skyrim could be even stated as an " update " to the already good stuff from Oblivion , graphically Skyrim manages to be superb and beautiful . The snow particles , fogs, the blizzards in the North are gorgeous . Bethesda Softworks put efforts in the combat, Oblivion's combat wasn't that satisfying or a lovable moment when you were exploring , from a Bow , magic and swords Skyrims delivers. In the story side its also the most intriguing chapter of the franchise and most interesting , that, it also made me to search for information all over the Net to know more and understand some stuff that were vague in the predecessor . Even the music is awesome , the moment you fight a dragon, you know it can't be ignored and the music pop out of the shadow. Skyrim may be bad for the PS3 , but I'm completely sure that it captures the essence of being a classic , and I'm referring to the game not a version . Expand
  5. Apr 29, 2013
    Skyrim leaves the lasting impression that it truly will be a game that doesn’t end, a never ending story if you will, and it creates the sort of vibrant world that you know will continue to exist even after you have decided to no longer take part in its wondrous offerings of freedom and fantasy.
    The most surreal thing about playing such an expansive and sprawling world is the fact that while playing it, I truly wanted to get lost in this realm of Tamriel, whether it was pacing through the snow in Winterhold or standing atop the waterfall-laden city of Markarth, there is such an endless amount of sight-seeing and exploration to be had in this game before you even consider the stories being told.
    Without delving too much into the main quest, simply because there are that many side missions and stories that it seems unfair to dwell, your character is in fact a Dragonborn, and of course dragons seem to have returned to Skyrim for unknown reasons, and you are tasked with finding out the nature of their visit, but also try and heal relations between The Imperials and the Stormcloak rebellion. But of course our own Dragonborn must deal with everything else that he is being tasked with around this fast land.
    Whether you are learning a ‘Dragon Shout” or simply taking out your sword for close combat, the opportunities are endless as to what can be achieved in the remarkable game.
    As our hero is tasked with these shouts, which enable him to reach into the very soul of the dragons and basically use their powers, clear the sky of a storm, create a thunderstorm, breathe fire or even call a fallen soldier to your aid, these are all options, and that is only shouts, not magic. Magic can be used through Ice, Lightning or even Fire, whether your’e simply wanting to inflame a wolf who is giving you grief or go to extreme lengths and try to take down a dragon, the supernatural means are all on offer.
    The customisation of your character is indeed endless, after picking from a vast array of races, you can begin upgrading your character with anything you can get your hands on.
    Walk around in a simple rag if you want to, or why not join the Thieves Guild, work your way up and possess the fantastic Nightingale armour, or even steal the clothing from an Imperial guard, along with his gold, a key to his chest or even a house.
    But why stop there? Why not buy your very own property? Kit it out with whatever is on offer and even store all your baggage that you don’t want to sell or get rid of but simply cannot carry it anymore. The game truly offers another life for you to take control of and do as you see fit.
    But of course a game this vast and sprawling doesn’t come without its own baggage, and unfortunately this fifth entry into the Elder Scrolls universe is not without its problems. In terms of gameplay, the movement itself of NPCs and yourself still aren’t on par with games of the same generation, and the combat is in the most sincere way, woeful. Bethesda still cannot seem to incorporate a workable and enjoyable style of hand to hand combat without it looking tired and annoying, shields and swords are heavily upgradeable, but I found myself managing to come into possession of a wonderful sword, but equipping it to one hand with a fireball spell on the other, the motion of fighting is still very dark-age looking and should be given more time to improve upon. The game does also come with gltiches a plenty, and while some are just plain hilarious (getting thrown 100 feet in the air simply by falling from my horse) most are frustrating to the point of having to restart the console or last save game.
    But these little inklings aside, Skyrim itself is just bursting with untainted beauty. Staring out at the glaciers in the distance, sure just go for a walk to them and bathe in the environment around you, there is the best chance that you will encounter a side mission that just might sound interesting, retrieve a book from a derelict cave or go and do the bidding of a god. When this much detail goes into a game, it would just be insulting not to give it a try, with epic needing to be used in every sentence about this wonderful fantasy, it truly is one of the best games to ever grace a console, and will be enough to keep many occupied for a long time to come.
  6. Dec 31, 2011
    Yes I was one of those people who got hit by the horrible crippling lag that comes with playing this game for a great length of time. It's truly sad because this game would easily be the game of the year if those bugs weren't in the game but I truly believe you need to take something like this into account when you make a decision like that. I actually traded this version in for the 360Yes I was one of those people who got hit by the horrible crippling lag that comes with playing this game for a great length of time. It's truly sad because this game would easily be the game of the year if those bugs weren't in the game but I truly believe you need to take something like this into account when you make a decision like that. I actually traded this version in for the 360 one because I wanted to get the full experience out this game and not have to pick and choose what I want to do before the game's crippling lag keeps me from continuing. So a word of advice for anyone planning to buy this game: DO NOT BUY IT ON THE PS3!!!! If I can convey anything to anyone with this review it would be that. Stay very far away from this version and get another one. You won't regret it. Expand
  7. Dec 2, 2013
    A staggering wealth of content that never overwhelms, since you're led by the gentle hands of all the wonderful quests. I must have played Skyrim for 50 hours now, and never once did I want it to 'end soon'.. the ending of the main quests left me in awe. The mystery drew me in from the first minutes and remains there as I have yet to discover several larger locations including majorA staggering wealth of content that never overwhelms, since you're led by the gentle hands of all the wonderful quests. I must have played Skyrim for 50 hours now, and never once did I want it to 'end soon'.. the ending of the main quests left me in awe. The mystery drew me in from the first minutes and remains there as I have yet to discover several larger locations including major cities. This game is an incredible artistical achievement, and you'll be in the hero's shoes, living it for a while. I cannot in any way give less than 9/10 to such a beautiful night sky. To all those characters and places, stories and adventures. But I can't give a perfect 10 either, as the puzzles get reused a lot throughout the game, and there were several consistency errors to break the immersion (sleeping for 10 hours in-game to find everyone doing the exact thing they were doing as you went to bed... instruments appearing and disappearing out of the blue, a quite early 'skill ceiling' where you feel you don't get empowered so much anymore etc). But I simply can't give less than 9 to that virtual magic. Expand
  8. Dec 30, 2011
    I played this game before the patch and then stopped for a while; then I found out the 6mb bug, loaded the patch, and played it again, so I'll say from the beginning that I had no major bug issues when playing this game. But to be fair, The elder scrolls series and fallout3 were somehow buggy all the time, but this is just personal. Now, what do we say about this? After playing it forI played this game before the patch and then stopped for a while; then I found out the 6mb bug, loaded the patch, and played it again, so I'll say from the beginning that I had no major bug issues when playing this game. But to be fair, The elder scrolls series and fallout3 were somehow buggy all the time, but this is just personal. Now, what do we say about this? After playing it for around 50 hours I can see lots of improvement over Oblivion: dungeons are FAR better than the previous game and not just a random place to loot your stuff. Some dungeons are filled with puzzles and traps, making them feeling more...dungeon-like! The quests are very interesting to do (not all of them, but most are) but you'll want to do all the quests you want because they're sometimes just fun to do. Characters looks more...human now and their dialogue is a lot more detailed (and the dialogue is also well voiced, and I played with Italian, French and English settings). The combat system is a lot more exciting and, let me tell you, I LOVE the dual wield feature: it gives a really good amount of tactics on which spells, weapons or shield to use; being able to shield yourself from a dragon's fire breath was the most impressive yet exciting thing ever. However...I really can't like the Perk system used in this game: TES was based on "being free", even on leveling your skills, and I just can't stand that you're limited to a certain amount of points for increasing your skills. Yes you can level any skill to 100, but you won't be able to get ALL of their perks and after playing morrowind and oblivion I just can't stand this choice. As I said also earlier, yes there are bugs in the game but except for having random crashes I really had no issues so I apologize if I missed some vital bugs. If I have to nitpick, i didn't like the 3d map (hard to control and not very precise); the inventory is very bland (you won't see your avatar either, unlike the morrowind and oblivion), and I personally found this game a "little" harder in comparison, making me play not higher than normal (Maybe I just suck, who knows?). Anyway, I'd say to give it a check: only those who hate Wrpgs or never liked TES before won't stand this; for everyone else it's probably one of the best RPG of the year. Expand
  9. Dec 8, 2011
    It's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make SkyrimIt's great that an RPG to take itself as seriously as Skyrim has been so successful as it will ensure that we continue to receive more epic RPG in the future. Skyrim's Nordic setting is good, the vast scope and the depth of the quests and skills are also compelling. The character skills, progression and the amount of things to do in the game are fun and rewarding which does make Skyrim value for money and worth peoples time. Unfortunately I found the main story fairly lame and I felt disinterested in most of Skyrim's characters and skipped over most of the dialog which should not be the case in an RPG. I found myself only completing quests for rewards rather than any story purpose which is a missed opportunity. I also did not like most of the character models in Skyrim, the humanoid faces were awkward to look at. As I played Skyrim on PC I was disappointed that the UI was very console friendly at the expense of much keyboard/mouse support, which is something that is inexcusable for a game originating on the PC. Overall Skyrim is an epic game and one that has a lot of depth, its a pity that the characters and overall story of the game are not better but it is what it is. Recommended. Expand
  10. Apr 18, 2016
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is an almost flawless game, with an intriguing story, brilliant graphics and, best of all, an expansive, fun-to-explore open world.
  11. Mar 29, 2016
    this game gives you a lot of bang for your buck. there is so much content here that you could spend hundreds of hours playing and still have lots to discover. unfortunately you may end up finding yourself getting board before you get to that point. overall I love these kinds of games that Bethesda has been giving us along with fallout. an enormous beautiful world that you can just losethis game gives you a lot of bang for your buck. there is so much content here that you could spend hundreds of hours playing and still have lots to discover. unfortunately you may end up finding yourself getting board before you get to that point. overall I love these kinds of games that Bethesda has been giving us along with fallout. an enormous beautiful world that you can just lose yourself in, hundreds of quest that expand upon the lore of the world and make it feel real. these are things many gamers crave but few games can satisfy. Its extremely accessible do to its simplistic but deep leveling system and first person view that makes it more appealing than traditional RPG's. but unfortunately the biggest strength of this game is also its biggest flaw. there is so much to do in this world but very little of it feels meaningful. A big reason for this is the lack of character motivation. without spoiling anything, the story evolves around you being someone very special and destined to fulfill somewhat of a prophecy, but the character has no emotional value attached to this quest, making the main quest feel just as much as a side quest as any other. There are some really cool quests in the game but there are just as many boring ones that you will find your self doing simply to gain experience. I'm not saying the story is bad, its definitely engaging enough, but the lack of an emotional connection to it can cause you to question why you are even playing when you are in the middle of a boring quest. combat isn't anything special, and will feel dull in later hours of the game, but a good thing about it is that it gives you a clear idea of what your limitations are based on your level. for example, you know if early on in the game if you see a giant, that you definitely don't want to mess with it, but will be something that you can take on eventually, and probably have a good idea of how high of a level you'll need to be to do it. Even though I found the game to get dull after about 40 hours, many other people may not have the same problem and be engaged the whole time because of the beauty of the world, and is overall a pretty great game, and I understand why it was such an enormous hit, but I don't believe it to be as great of a game as people once thought now that it has been out for a while, but still a game I think is definitely worth your money, due to the amount of content you get out of it, and would say I definitely really liked it despite finding myself having to really push through the times I got bored. Expand
  12. Feb 23, 2015
    If this game didn't have bugs that make me restart my entire progress, I would give this game a 10. The graphics look decent and the leveling up system is so fun!
  13. Jan 27, 2012
    I got this for Christmas and have spent well in excess of 60 hours playing thus far. There are bugs that mess up some quests. But if you save often and recognize what's going on then you can usually go back and remedy it. But that is a valid complaint against this game. I am not having lagging problems. My friends report, though I have not oft experienced, the game simply freezing up.I got this for Christmas and have spent well in excess of 60 hours playing thus far. There are bugs that mess up some quests. But if you save often and recognize what's going on then you can usually go back and remedy it. But that is a valid complaint against this game. I am not having lagging problems. My friends report, though I have not oft experienced, the game simply freezing up. I got that a great deal with Oblivion. Not so much in Skyrim. I never lower the difficulty of a game, but I have friends that like that feature of this game. But those flaws notwithstanding, Skyrim is a beautiful, expansive and amazing game. I know the main story is short and i have not resumed it since I identified it. There are great puzle challenges, difficult battles, the freedom to create any kind of character you want and a thorough method of gaining experience. I truly love this game, notwithstanding its flaws. Expand
  14. Aug 7, 2016
    Such a fun game. I didn't think I would like this game this much. Yes, there is lag, and bugs. But that doesn't bother me at all. Controls are perfect. Worth the money.
  15. Jul 31, 2012
    It's a mesmerizing game that draws you into a finely crafted fictional space packed with content... Skyrim is one of the best role-playing games yet produced. The sheer size of the adventure...is mind-blowing. But this game aint perfect it has lags, freezes and other flaws.
  16. Feb 28, 2012
    this game is awesome for all those who say it isnt they have no idea what they are talking about while the main story is short everything else will take up to about 300 hours at least to complete the whole game with amazing graphics and a huge open world this is the best action rpg ever
  17. Dec 3, 2015
    BEST GAME EVER!!!!
    definitely worth buying like literally my game of the decade!!!!! their is soooooo much to do and the leveling up is a lot of fun, you can buy a house, horse, adopt children, marry someone, get a pet dog, become a vampire, or werewolf, and all the shouts are effing awesome, There is not much negative i have to say about this game, go buy it now!!!!
  18. Apr 8, 2012
    New review: Skyrim is great on every platoform. I reccommend it on the PS3, expecially since some of you are dissapointed in the bugs that were patched recently. I have played this on every platform, your moneys worth guaranteed. Just make sure to keep making seperate save files if you are concerned. Pick up whatever version is on sale.
  19. Dec 10, 2011
    This game is better than oblivion in many ways. Interesting map to play on, hundreds of quests and locations, and a ton of things to do. Graphics are superb, voice acting is superb, sounds are superb. There are a few minor glitches i have encountered, but nothing that i haven't seen in Oblivion. When my game save got to around 8mb the framerate suffered a bit. Nothing in this game isThis game is better than oblivion in many ways. Interesting map to play on, hundreds of quests and locations, and a ton of things to do. Graphics are superb, voice acting is superb, sounds are superb. There are a few minor glitches i have encountered, but nothing that i haven't seen in Oblivion. When my game save got to around 8mb the framerate suffered a bit. Nothing in this game is broken. They released a patch that stopped the framerate drop. Dragon battles could be a lot more epic - or difficult for that matter. If you are a fan of role playing games, especially the western kind, you should get this game. This game seems to be a bit more difficult than the last in some instances which is a good thing because I dislike being unchallenged. If I had to choose one game this winter season, it would be Skyrim, unless your into multiplayer games, then id say go for battlefield 3. Expand
  20. Apr 4, 2012
    While technically not the best game, it's to be expected from a huge game like this, especially on consoles. If you can look past some technical flaws, you'll experience one of the most complete and addictive games of all time. Fun combat, an interesting world and many, many quests will keep you coming back for more and more.
  21. Feb 22, 2012
    Yes, its the most massive game on platforms, yes it's got an intricate story and yes it is very fun. That being said, it gets really, really boring after about ten hours of playing time. It takes it self too seriously. Maybe I don't like video games that much, I just bought this because of the reviews, but I'd rather run around GTA IV's world if I'm going to waste time. Lots of effort toYes, its the most massive game on platforms, yes it's got an intricate story and yes it is very fun. That being said, it gets really, really boring after about ten hours of playing time. It takes it self too seriously. Maybe I don't like video games that much, I just bought this because of the reviews, but I'd rather run around GTA IV's world if I'm going to waste time. Lots of effort to play with little reward or purpose. Expand
  22. Jan 1, 2012
    Ok, I'll start with the positives. Skyrim is big, very big, and very good. The game feels more realistic and combat flows much easier than Oblivion. The graphics are stunning and the addition of Dragons makes for some breathtaking fights. The people look and feel more realistic than the robotic drones of Oblivion, and the game feels like it adds more opportunities and side quests than everOk, I'll start with the positives. Skyrim is big, very big, and very good. The game feels more realistic and combat flows much easier than Oblivion. The graphics are stunning and the addition of Dragons makes for some breathtaking fights. The people look and feel more realistic than the robotic drones of Oblivion, and the game feels like it adds more opportunities and side quests than ever before. The main quest is very good, even if it is rather short, and the addition of the war in Skyrim gives you a larger sense of freedom as you can join either side. Now with the negatives, the game is bugged, and laggy, however this is to be expected with a game of it's size. Also the towns and cities feel darker and more depressing than Oblivion, and so do the guilds. Although thankfully the mindlessly dull dungeon treks have been brightened up by the addition of better designed caves and dungeons which makes the game much more new and exciting than Oblivion. So yes, the game is littered with bugs and lag, but it is definitely one of my favourite games of all time. Expand
  23. Nov 14, 2011
    One word: Masterpiece. Amazing story, characters, sound design, etc. Bethesda really did a fantastic job. Only issue is the shadows are terrible on the PS3 version, they should have been shut off and had plain shadows but otherwise not a big deal. The graphics are incredible. All I will leave with you to decide if your un-sure of buying is when you fight the first dragon you feel like yourOne word: Masterpiece. Amazing story, characters, sound design, etc. Bethesda really did a fantastic job. Only issue is the shadows are terrible on the PS3 version, they should have been shut off and had plain shadows but otherwise not a big deal. The graphics are incredible. All I will leave with you to decide if your un-sure of buying is when you fight the first dragon you feel like your in the shoes of the guy from the film Dragonslayer.. incredible and never felt so out of this world playing it. Look up at the sky and see constellations even.. attention to detail is incredible...ahh enough of me raving, check it out for yourselfs! Expand
  24. Feb 6, 2012
    I wondering how all the Xbox users managed to group each other up to spam negative comments the PS3 version of this game. I have not experienced any of the problems described. Fantastic game, yes, a bit buggy, but I am surprised metacritic has not realised that people giving it zero don't even have a PS3. May this please be rectified. Anyway, the gameplay is fantastic, graphics are perfectI wondering how all the Xbox users managed to group each other up to spam negative comments the PS3 version of this game. I have not experienced any of the problems described. Fantastic game, yes, a bit buggy, but I am surprised metacritic has not realised that people giving it zero don't even have a PS3. May this please be rectified. Anyway, the gameplay is fantastic, graphics are perfect and a huge improvement on Oblivion. very good. Expand
  25. Dec 29, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is considered a legend in the world and we need more like this game on ps3 and xbox 360 and pc !!
    waaooooooooooo best game RPG
    waaooooooooooo best game RPG
  26. Sep 16, 2014
    A really awesome action rpg. The world is huge, the main story and side quests are fitting and the characters are interesting. Important remark: I played the "Game of the Year Edition". The original release PS 3 version is full of bugs and nearly unplayable. The graphic is good and the soundtrack is awesome. The battle system is optimized. It is better than ever and a reference for futureA really awesome action rpg. The world is huge, the main story and side quests are fitting and the characters are interesting. Important remark: I played the "Game of the Year Edition". The original release PS 3 version is full of bugs and nearly unplayable. The graphic is good and the soundtrack is awesome. The battle system is optimized. It is better than ever and a reference for future action rpgs. The job and stat system from previous Elder Scroll games is gone. It is more streamlined. I am uncertain if it is an improvement or not but it is done well in this game. Overall this is an awesome game. Still cannot decide if Skyrim or Morrowind is the better Elder Scroll game. Expand
  27. Nov 24, 2011
    This game is amazing! Yes there are bugs, but that is to be expected with such an incredibly large game. I'm still in awe at how huge the world is, how many quests there are, and how much there is to do. There is so much life in this game and the detail is jaw-dropping; I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion because their worlds felt dead to me and I was never inspired to explore or quest...This game is amazing! Yes there are bugs, but that is to be expected with such an incredibly large game. I'm still in awe at how huge the world is, how many quests there are, and how much there is to do. There is so much life in this game and the detail is jaw-dropping; I didn't like Morrowind or Oblivion because their worlds felt dead to me and I was never inspired to explore or quest... Skyrim is different. The dungeons are unique and creative, the boss fights are fun, and the quests are exciting! People interact with you constantly, making the world feel alive. On top of all of that you have the massive, beautiful environments plus all of the stuff you normally get with Elder Scrolls games (professions, great music, etc.) What am I doing even writing this review? I should be playing Skyrim! Expand
  28. Apr 29, 2015
    Skyrim was the second chapter of The Elders Scrolls that I played, and from early hours of play the changes from Oblivion were quite marked, some positive but some negative.

The plot of Skyrim is outstanding, and narrative cues such as the return of the dragons, Skyrim civil war, the rise of the third Aldmeri Dominion and the prophecies about the Dragonborn have made sure to make it spectacular. I loved also some references to Morrowind, as the return of the dwarven ruins. However I did not like that (not a spoiler, you can also understand it from the announcement trailer) events in Skyrim play a protagonist role in the whole saga, but all that has happened in the other chapters assumed a marginal role, role of lesser importance, they were "only dark omens before the return of the dragons". This made sure that Skyrim had an excellent story, but has weakened the importance of the stories of the previous chapters, and this is not right, and I do not like. Among other things, important or not, I preferred the plot of Oblivion.

The gameplay of Skyrim is mainly as large as The Elder Scrolls games have accustomed us, but it has some elements improved: the structure of the fight system has progressed, the editor of the character it's been improved, the use of magic with two hands is good, the sprint allow to run faster, and of course the Dragon shouts are great, they make the game more original. Also you can perform various task to create and get items such as wood and iron. On the other hand, however, there are some pretty serious failings and flaws: there aren't hammers to repair weapons and armor, or rather the weapons and armor literally do not wear out; the magic can not be used with sword and shield (in Oblivon was possible), the skill tree is oversimplified, the difficulty in general was rather lowered. In other words, the gameplay has been removed from the perfection achieved in Oblivion, in favor of a simpler gameplay, perhaps for an audience of younger players. And I did not like this.

The graphical leap from Oblivion to Skyrim was surprising: the Creation Engine is a great graphics engine, and artistic beauty is amazing. A stunning soundtrack, epic main theme composed by Soule, based on the one of Morrowind. Personally I haven't had to deal with many acclaimed technical problems and bugs in Skyrim on PS3, because I took the game months after its release, when apparently they had been corrected.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is essentially a fantastic game, one of the best rpg-games in history, a masterpiece in reality. Some choices in the gameplay could be better, but are not so important after all. This game is already legend.
  29. Nov 13, 2011
    Ok im not gonna give this game a 10 why because there are some fault in the game BUT i can say this is ONE of my fav games of this year and ONE of my fav games for the past 3 years.The music is fantastic,the story line is pretty driven, the characters pretty good the graphic is very on top BUT there are parts in the game where im like ehhh this seems too much like fallout 3 like i go underOk im not gonna give this game a 10 why because there are some fault in the game BUT i can say this is ONE of my fav games of this year and ONE of my fav games for the past 3 years.The music is fantastic,the story line is pretty driven, the characters pretty good the graphic is very on top BUT there are parts in the game where im like ehhh this seems too much like fallout 3 like i go under water and it just looks bland and nothing there and the way people talk gets kinda annoying other then those min things like the bugs dont even bother me. I would give this game a 9.5. Expand
  30. Dec 31, 2011
    Pro's: Addictive and immersive rpg, open ended exploration, nice visuals, fantastic music score. Con's: Long loading times, "samey" quests, VERY glitchy on PS3 platform. I have held back from writing a review until now. Some 80 hours in and luckily I have not had many of the major problems that have been expressed by users on this site, but it saddens me that such a potentially fantasticPro's: Addictive and immersive rpg, open ended exploration, nice visuals, fantastic music score. Con's: Long loading times, "samey" quests, VERY glitchy on PS3 platform. I have held back from writing a review until now. Some 80 hours in and luckily I have not had many of the major problems that have been expressed by users on this site, but it saddens me that such a potentially fantastic game should be marred by these technical issues. My score therefore reflects my experience of Skyrim, while my support goes out to those who feel angry conned and cheated.
    Although Skyrim doesn't bring anything new or revolutionary to the rpg table, the ability to explore a rich and vibrant land, fine tune your character, master various skills, make moral choices, and kill a few Dragons, make this the best rpg i've ever played. Within 30 minutes of gameplay you will become an inhabitant of Skyrim and will never want to leave. Long loading times while fast travelling or moving from room to room are a slight niggle.
    Anyone thinking of buying this for PS3 would be well advised to check out these user reviews before spending their hard earned, and for that reason alone I could not recommend this game on PS3 platform .
  31. Nov 28, 2013
    I want to give Skyrim a 10. It is the definitive adventure game of this generation, creating an unrivaled sense of immersion and a world that feels believable without the prescience of your character. Skyrim is a living breathing world with living breathing people, an accomplishment little to no games can boast. It provides limitless entertainment, giving me 200 hours of worth of contentI want to give Skyrim a 10. It is the definitive adventure game of this generation, creating an unrivaled sense of immersion and a world that feels believable without the prescience of your character. Skyrim is a living breathing world with living breathing people, an accomplishment little to no games can boast. It provides limitless entertainment, giving me 200 hours of worth of content and I'm still not even close to finishing all the side missions and quests. But there is one fatal flaw to Bestheda's latest gem: bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. I usually disregard glitches in games. If it doesn't affect the overall experience, such as a texture glitch or the occasional entrapment in a wall or pillar, it doesn't really matter. However, Skyrim possesses many glitches that make quests unbeatable, as well as cause game-ruining glitches that make some of the major missions impossible to complete. With all that said, is the PS3 version of Skyrim a good game worth buying?
    The story is your typical hero story. You are a hero named Dragonborn who the prophecies foretold to help defeat an evil dragon named Alduin and prevent the entire Nordic race from being wiped out by the return of the dragons. However, the greatest part of Skyrim is the fact that you don't have to follow any narrative or predetermined plot structure. This is YOUR story, and you can do whatever you want. There are seven major story lines in total, meaning that instead of fighting the dragons, you can completely ignore your destiny and join a Thieves Guild or a Dark Brotherhood of assassins. All of these main quests are memorable in their own way, introducing you to a plethora of new characters that all leave their mark on you throughout the adventure. Betrayals are common, allies die in seconds, and all of Skyrim is up to date on your escapades. You couldn't imagine when a trader in Riften congratulated me on my promotion to the group of do-good era known as the Companions in Whiterun, even though the two cities are miles and miles apart. It's amazing how real the game can feel, ranging from the perfect reactions to a murder (all of the guards coming quickly to the scene and even shooting first if you are a notorious criminal) to the anger a family feels when they intrude into their house after hours.
    Along with all of these high notes, every aspect of the gameplay feels great and rewarding. You level up on how often you use a skill, rewarding you for your persistence and recognizing which skills you value over others instead of making a decision right at the start of the game. In any other RPG, I'd likely have to choose between a warrior or a Mage immediately, without having an opportunity to test out both skills effectively. Also, trading and crafting spice up the hiatus between dungeon exploration and world traveling. You can craft your own weapons, which become more advanced the more you level up your skills with blacksmithing, and add magical perks on top of them, which is also self-acquired throughout the adventure in dungeons. These dungeons are also enjoyable, each of the several hundred feeling fresh and rarely repetitive due to the quests linked with each one. In a sense, you build yourself up from nothing into the hero everyone expects you to be. But in another sense, you live a life. 100 hours into the game, I reflected back on my journey as I sat on a tower chair, staring up at a beautiful starry night. I defeated Alduin in an epic battle. I inherited the Dark Brotherhood and became part werewolf. I also found love, marrying my housecarl and settling down in a large house in Solitude. However, on one quest, she died suddenly and I buried her where she was slain, forced to push onwards. As I stared up at the stars, I realized how far I had come in my life as the Dragonborn, and how far still I had left to go. This stands as one of the most beautiful moments I've experienced in any video game.
    Despite all of this overwhelming praise I have and an unbridled spirit of adventure to describe, I can't ignore the bugs that lower this game's likability and nearly ruin the experience altogether. First off, during one quest, in the city of Markath, I aided a group of bloodthirsty outcasts to escape a prison. The game glitched during this quest and now I can no longer enter this city without dozens of guards ganging up on me demanding me to go back to the prison from which I escaped. When I try to negotiate, the conversation loops forever until I have no other choice but refuse, leading to a fight with an overwhelming amount of guards. In short, all of the missions involving Markath were rendered unplayable, which really detracted from the game. Also, about 50 hours into the game, I noticed that the game began to lag. Due to Skyrim's awkward save system, the game becomes laggy and almost unplayable after saving 50 hours into the game. The game runs much slower after this point, replacing the smooth animations and gameplay with near immobility. One time I literally stared at a screen for 3 minutes mid-game just to wait for my character to take one swing at a dragon. Once the screen reaches its limit, the game loses its immersion and becomes extremely annoying to play.
    Overall, Skyrim could have been one of the best PS3 games ever made. Everything is there: perfect immersion, an amazing sense of progression and individuality with a story that revolves around you and you alone, and gameplay that allows you to build yourself up into one of Skyrim's greatest heroes. However, bugs and glitches bring this down, a dark stain on an otherwise flawless experience. Although the PC version is a much cleaner version that for the most part fixes these problems, Skyrim for the PS3 is a great adventure that everyone should experience, transcending its flaws in order to provide one of the most memorable RPGs in recent memory.

8.8/10
  32. Feb 16, 2012
    Literally, this game deserves an 8.5. But since that score is impossible, a 9 will have to do. This game is great, it has all the components of a great game. The main story line took me about 25 hours, and that's including getting lost and doing side quest. This game is great and i can see my self returning to it to do more side quest, but it has nothing that puts it over the top. I wouldLiterally, this game deserves an 8.5. But since that score is impossible, a 9 will have to do. This game is great, it has all the components of a great game. The main story line took me about 25 hours, and that's including getting lost and doing side quest. This game is great and i can see my self returning to it to do more side quest, but it has nothing that puts it over the top. I would highly recommend this game to anyone, go out and buy it. Truly amazing. Expand
  33. Nov 14, 2011
    Up to this point, I have never been much of a Bethesda fan. Oblivion had some great features that didn't appear in its rival franchises, but it also feel into the same category as Grand Theft Auto for me, where despite having tons of stuff to do, I just didn't care to DO any of it. Fallout 3 was no different, and its wacky interface was such a turn-off to me that I failed to see how itUp to this point, I have never been much of a Bethesda fan. Oblivion had some great features that didn't appear in its rival franchises, but it also feel into the same category as Grand Theft Auto for me, where despite having tons of stuff to do, I just didn't care to DO any of it. Fallout 3 was no different, and its wacky interface was such a turn-off to me that I failed to see how it reached mainstream success, unless that was due to its strong-arm marketing hype. And Brink did absolutely nothing for me, 'nuf said. However, Skyrim has managed to redeem Bethesda in my eyes, if only for this one game. Skyrim is not perfect, as it suffers from the same technical drawbacks as its predecessor, but its content is far more compelling. The first thing that I noticed was the fact that Skyrim has a lot more character and style than the dreadfully generic Oblivion, albeit a straight rip-off of Peter Jackson's depiction of Middle Earth (specifically The Two Towers, since some of Skyrim's regions look like they're recreations of actual Weta sets). That being said, character creation is much improved, graphic quality is much higher, Jeremy Soule's soundrack is astounding, menus have been streamlined, and the dialogue system is better. The only real downside to the improved play mechanics is a general lack of fulfillment in questing, as most results aren't even impactful enough to move NPCs from their rooted position atop a throne or behind a store counter. In other words, the world still feels pretty stiff, despite significant work to improve the AI. Animations are often unnatural, and many of the game's best features require a silly amount of aimless adventuring before they can be unlocked. In the end, much of the game's content feels like filler and time-sinks, which should come as little surprise to anyone who has played Oblivion. Among my favorite features is the active weather system, which has a powerful impact on your exploration and combat, and it often feels like the environment is a worse adversary than the [inexcusably sparse] enemy mobs. The weather, day-night cycle, housing, enhanced social interaction, and crafting systems are all genuinely enjoyable, and they all go far in immersing the gamer in what could have otherwise been a boring march through uninspired quests. Ultimately, it is a great open-world experience for wasting time and building a character that you like, but if you're looking for challenge or a sense of purpose in your game, Skyrim could do a lot better. I still like Dark Souls better, as it constantly provides a sense of accomplishment, but the two are pretty different overall. I would recommend Skyrim to any fan of adventuring and exploration (as long as they have a fair amount of patience), and I commend Bethesda for improving in the areas that annoyed me the most in previous games. RPG nerds rarely complain about boredom in a properly crafted virtual world, since we're pretty good at finding or creating our own entertainment within those worlds, so it's the enormous feature set that makes Skyrim stand tall as it gives you plenty of toys to play with even if you care little for the main story. Expand
  34. Aug 1, 2014
    While the PS3 version had a lot of issues at launch, along with the issue of the DLC, I'm glad Bethesda was able to sort out all the issues and get it running alright. I say alright because on the PS3 there is minor slowdown and in game freezes along with freezing at the load screen from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, The Elder Scrolls are my favorite game series to date, and I have played Morrowind and Oblivion over 200 hours a piece over the years.

For people who don't know what the game is about, it is different than any other game because of the freedoms you are given as the player. The beginning of the game is the only portion of the game that is linear (and all it really is, is a tutorial anyway). After that, you are free to explore the world in anyway you want. There is a main quest, but really, it's really your choice on what you want to do. If you want to build a fighting character, you can train your Health and Stamina and join the Fighters Guild and do missions that are based on killing stuff along with having a good story in the background. If you want to be a Mage, you train your Magicka and you go to the College of Winterhold and learn different spells that you can use to make your character better. You can also be an assassin, merchant, or a master of apothecary. All in all, it really doesn't matter what you do but personally I like joining the Dark Brotherhood and making an assassin with magical abilities such as invisibility (I've played for over 400 hours over the past two years on the difficulty Master).

That being said, I am not a video game nerd. And there are minor things that I would like to see fixed because I am a hardcore player. That is why I gave my review an 8. Someone new to the series I could see giving the game a 9 or even a 10 if you believe in perfection.

If you are a parent this holiday, I would recommend getting this game over Call Of Duty 14 for your kid if he's 16 to 18. Especially if he gets good grades in school and is a critical thinker because this game requires much more critical thinking than Call Of Duty 14 where you just shoot at people, get shot 1,000 times and don't die. I do understand that this is my personal opinion but Skyrim has won Game Of The Year by multiple publications and is regarded in nerdom as one of the best games ever made.

If your family has a nice computer, and don't live in the 1990's, I would recommend getting it for PC for enhanced graphics and the ability to mod your game which means you can add on to the biggest world ever created for a video game. Heck, you can even put lightsabers in it if you want.

And yes, I do have horns on my forehead. Because I was born that way. How about that Todd Howard.
  35. Nov 10, 2012
    Stunning. From the first scene to the very last. The game is so expansive You don't need to play the main quest. You don't even need to play ANY quests. The graphics and sound are exquisite . The magic system is awesome and the world is very believable. If I had to pick out negatives. I'd say the combat system ( especially when using weapons) is clunky. The menu system is not as fluid asStunning. From the first scene to the very last. The game is so expansive You don't need to play the main quest. You don't even need to play ANY quests. The graphics and sound are exquisite . The magic system is awesome and the world is very believable. If I had to pick out negatives. I'd say the combat system ( especially when using weapons) is clunky. The menu system is not as fluid as it could be. If they had employed the hot key system that Fallout had then It would have been a lot simpler and useable. The main menu system in regard to levelling up IS useful and visually absorbing however. The game difficulty is a strange one. At first I found it too hard , now most encounters are far too easy. Yes I could raise the difficulty , but that would mean the one or two characters that I do meet who are very powerful would seem unbalanced. Dragons are not nearly as powerful as I had anticipated. I do have a team of four however and my character levelled up greatly in his wanderings before I even started the main missions. Perhaps to my detriment as I now find even bosses to be a two second affair. Expand
  36. Dec 1, 2011
    Never has a game captured my attention like Skyrim has. After a brief introduction the game unleashes you into a massive world where you are free to roam about and explore till your hearts content. There are plenty of towns, landscapes and dungeons to visit. All full of NPCs who always have something interesting to say, which usually results in sending you off on a new quest to fulfill.Never has a game captured my attention like Skyrim has. After a brief introduction the game unleashes you into a massive world where you are free to roam about and explore till your hearts content. There are plenty of towns, landscapes and dungeons to visit. All full of NPCs who always have something interesting to say, which usually results in sending you off on a new quest to fulfill. None of the quests I've encountered had any time constraints so you are free to tackle your long to-do list as leisurely as you desire. The leveling system is very dynamic and the game adapts to each players own style, in addition to this, enemies scale to your level so there is no need to level-grind, making the game always challenging but never overbearing. With so many things to do and see you will never be bored in the beautiful world of Skyrim. Expand
  37. Apr 2, 2012
    I've just started playing Skyrim and even though I hated Fallout 3 by the same guys, I am loving it.
    I know there are some small bugs, even in the early stages but my mate who has the 360 version has also had some problems, so it's not just the PS3.
    The graphics are excellent, the music and effects are very very good. Great locations, interesting characters and a wide range of side quests will keep me playing for a very long time.
    I had just finished Mass Effect 3 and decided to trade it for this, and it wasn't a mistake. I'm still discovering and have just bought my horse to get around easier.
    Even if you don't normally play RPG's you have to try this. Don't give up to early either, it's a massive game and gets better at every turn.
  38. Dec 14, 2011
    Simply amazing game......yes it suffers some lag, I have had to turn off auto save, a simple fix that has worked for me, it's sad to see tat ps3 owners are still having issues, but developers have had issues with the memory layout of the ps3. But you can't argue that this game is special, a living, breathing, beauty. It's magical in all the feeling you get when scaling the snowy, windSimply amazing game......yes it suffers some lag, I have had to turn off auto save, a simple fix that has worked for me, it's sad to see tat ps3 owners are still having issues, but developers have had issues with the memory layout of the ps3. But you can't argue that this game is special, a living, breathing, beauty. It's magical in all the feeling you get when scaling the snowy, wind swept mountains, sword and shield beaten with battle scars, deers, rabbits, prancing across with grace, and before long dark entrances to tombs, mines, and remnants of old. The characters are very detailed, and interesting, and in the dark towns, and houses glow with serenity. The game is ripe with flavour, and choices are plentifull, the levelling up system breathes new life, allowing you to channel your skills with great pace. Expand
  39. Nov 29, 2012
    Probably one of the best 5 games of all time---even with the bugs and load time. Huge in scope and imagination. Can't say enough about it. The only real question is whether to go for 100% completion now that I'm already 181 hours in.
  40. May 16, 2013
    an amazing game that you need to buy no matter what i have about 300 hours of gameplay and counting i believe that explains everthing buy it but if you dont have it yet just wait for the complete edition which has all the dlc's
  41. Oct 5, 2014
    This is just a huge Game that i think has no ending, it is just the perfect game. Skyrim brings a well done universe to the maximum it can go to and gives players one of the best experiences yet. Skyrim basically lets you finally be the Dungeon raider, Adventurer, or villian you want to be. Skyrim is the best western Role playing game of all time.
  42. Dec 11, 2011
    Hands down the best game of the year. A vividly created world with heart and soul that sucks you in engaging you from start to finish. Bethesda has delivered one of the most enriched masterpieces of any art from in a long time.
  43. Apr 8, 2012
    I'm redoing my review now for Skyrim on ps3 after a long 6month wait for a fix from Bethesda.so now that patch 1.5 is available I decided to retry Skyrim and give it one last shot.let me start out by saying that patch 1.4 was a good patch but patch 1.5 is the better patch, since now I'm able to play with less and I do mean much less problems than before...so far I haven't had any gameI'm redoing my review now for Skyrim on ps3 after a long 6month wait for a fix from Bethesda.so now that patch 1.5 is available I decided to retry Skyrim and give it one last shot.let me start out by saying that patch 1.4 was a good patch but patch 1.5 is the better patch, since now I'm able to play with less and I do mean much less problems than before...so far I haven't had any game crashes/freezes or frame-rate drops like I did with patch 1.4 things do seem much smoother now and working better overall.however this game still needs more fixes, and the damage has been done in terms of quality.besides that i'm happy thus far with Skyrim after patch 1.5. Expand
  44. Oct 28, 2015
    This game is simply outstanding, it has such a huge, extensive and living world that is a pleasure to be in, and every time you go out into the world you will find something you have never seen before and will have a great time every time you play this game, and will put hours and hours and hours into this game, and will love every second of it.
  45. Nov 14, 2011
    I don't know how good or bad this game is on PC, and I don't know why there are PC Reviewers on the PS3 page. Skyrim on PS3 is amazing and I am having a ton of fun playing it and creating my character how I want to play him. I can't wait to play it again with a different type of character. Very few games can give you this many hours of gameplay. Buy it!!
  46. Jun 30, 2012
    Look, I know how to review a game. And it is obvious that some of these people don't. A half of the people who have reviewed this game have either got a vendetta against Besthesa, are CoD or Battlefield fanboys, or simply got extremely pissed off when their game froze at level 49. I want to be honest, because I am not going to con people in to getting this game. It is not perfect, but itLook, I know how to review a game. And it is obvious that some of these people don't. A half of the people who have reviewed this game have either got a vendetta against Besthesa, are CoD or Battlefield fanboys, or simply got extremely pissed off when their game froze at level 49. I want to be honest, because I am not going to con people in to getting this game. It is not perfect, but it definitely isn't as bad as most of the people on this list make it out to be. Skyrim is a diverse and brilliant as you could want, because it is rare (as in extremely rare) for a game to hit the 100% mark. This game doesn't deserve a score of 100%, but it doesn't deserve a 0%, a 30% or a 60% (and I know I am going to get some hate for this). A 75% would probably be acceptable, and even a 70% as long as the reasons were about the game, and not the reviewer's feelings against the game. The game world in this game is awesome, alive and large enough that you are playing a magical version of life itself, and you really feel like some of the people you are talking to are real people, and not just a bunch of pixels that spit out backstory. If you buy this game, you should love it, but people who say that this game is a 50% or 60% should know that this game just isn't for them, and people who gave it a 0% or a 10% are complete idiots. Expand
  47. Jan 3, 2014
    skyrim has a massive world thats a blast to explore. your never more than a few steps away from something to do. the game also has A LOT of dungeons and each one offers a great challenge (especially the boss at the end of each dungeon). one of my favourite things about this game is how you level up specific aspects and abilities of your character instead of just a standard level up system.skyrim has a massive world thats a blast to explore. your never more than a few steps away from something to do. the game also has A LOT of dungeons and each one offers a great challenge (especially the boss at the end of each dungeon). one of my favourite things about this game is how you level up specific aspects and abilities of your character instead of just a standard level up system. the game also has an amazing atmosphere and soundtrack. my only problems with the game are that it has LOTS of pop in, lag and loading screens. Expand
  48. Nov 12, 2011
    Early thoughts (the game just came out yesterday after all, just started it today): fantastic game. The interface is much cleaner and improved, the intro was much better than IV (but I've played that 10x...so maybe that should be factored in) and the graphics are gorgeous. I had the game paused at one point and the shot looked like it could have been a photo or a painting. I'm alreadyEarly thoughts (the game just came out yesterday after all, just started it today): fantastic game. The interface is much cleaner and improved, the intro was much better than IV (but I've played that 10x...so maybe that should be factored in) and the graphics are gorgeous. I had the game paused at one point and the shot looked like it could have been a photo or a painting. I'm already feeling overwhelmed by the depth of the game, and I'm still in the starting town: happy adventures everyone! Game gets a 9 because I still feel like more could have been done to streamline the interface: still has a bit of the console aftertaste. Honestly, though, this is as good as it gets for single player RPGs: nobody touches Bethesda's craft. Expand
  49. Nov 16, 2011
    Bethesda has set the high standard with there Skyrim game. The only reason why I gave it a 9 is because I never give and thing a perfect score due to the fact that nothing is perfect and yes even Skyrim is not perfect. But only a few minor things Skyrim needs to correct. The glitches (which every game goes through) and a few minor fighting problems. The positive comments about Skyrim are,Bethesda has set the high standard with there Skyrim game. The only reason why I gave it a 9 is because I never give and thing a perfect score due to the fact that nothing is perfect and yes even Skyrim is not perfect. But only a few minor things Skyrim needs to correct. The glitches (which every game goes through) and a few minor fighting problems. The positive comments about Skyrim are, a rich true open world game that pulls you in and can lose yourself in the world of Skyrim. To it's story telling and dungeon adventuring every corner of this game is addictive to play. You can play it your way basically. If you don't like side quests or helping city folks in the land of Skyrim you don't have to. Play straight through the main story or open your mind and search the land of Skyrim to get lost in. There are only a few similarities with Skyrim to Oblivion (previous version of Elder Scrolls game). The best part about Skyrim is playing your character as ruthless or as kind as you want. And oh by the way expect twists and turns in game. You can really appreciate the creative thinking that went into Skyrim. Overall scores: Graphics 5/5, sound 5/5, fun factor 5/5, game play 4/5, replay value 5/5. Expand
  50. Apr 25, 2012
    You can play and interpret it any way you want. This is Skyrim's ultimate joy. For me, the game is a nature simulator. There is nothing like wandering into the mountains to listen to the wind rustle amongst the trees, moon rising in the night sky, snow crunching under your weary feet. Somber music swells in the background from some unseen orchestra, and a deer scurries by delicately.You can play and interpret it any way you want. This is Skyrim's ultimate joy. For me, the game is a nature simulator. There is nothing like wandering into the mountains to listen to the wind rustle amongst the trees, moon rising in the night sky, snow crunching under your weary feet. Somber music swells in the background from some unseen orchestra, and a deer scurries by delicately. Everything is serene and there is no reason to kill a thing. I Expand
  51. Nov 23, 2011
    Before i begin, i need to say that for all of those who have problems with the game lagging and freezing, there is a light for you. Bethesda heard your complaints and have announced a patch to fix it after Thanksgiving. Now, I should start by saying i wasn't the biggest fan of Oblivion. I didn't hate it, but i got it late, this year actually for the 5th anniversary. I saw what Skyrim wasBefore i begin, i need to say that for all of those who have problems with the game lagging and freezing, there is a light for you. Bethesda heard your complaints and have announced a patch to fix it after Thanksgiving. Now, I should start by saying i wasn't the biggest fan of Oblivion. I didn't hate it, but i got it late, this year actually for the 5th anniversary. I saw what Skyrim was doing and got excited to see if they would deliver that fantasy experience that Lord of the Rings got me into when i was a kid. And im happy to say it did, every bit of it. It toke everything that I though Oblivion did ok at and made it great. Character animations are more natural, but still a bit stiff, though i let that pass when i can kick a Drugars ass in a cave. The open world feeling is there, with beautiful environments and sounds that are a joy to just sit back and listen to. Combat is miles above Oblivions, with hit detection, blood on your weapon of choice and some final finishes strait from Fallout 3, one of my all time favorite games. Magic is more fun in this game than any i have played, and a level up system that is much more natural than The Elder Scrolls past games. The story is very good as well, with some memorable characters and fantastic moments. Side missions can range from the simple retrieve this and that, to crazy "Didn't see that coming" missions. The only thing i can say that is wrong that DOESN'T involve small glitches that Bethesda is working on is some of the textures. This is a big picture game, and that big picture is amazing. But get up close to a mountain and tree and you can see the polygons and rough edges.Though the game isn't meant to be examined up close, its meant for you to look out over a cliff and see the mist at the top of a mountain, or the gloom of a cave. The only way you can hate this game is to go out and find the glitches, but sometimes a game is made from the glitches and laughing about them. Skyrim is the love letter from Bethesda. Did you love Oblivion? Here is a better story, graphics, combat, pretty much everything that is still the game you love. Did you love Fallout 3? We have the questing, finishers, and feel from that game. Did you love Fallout: New Vegas? We have the weight feel and spectacular writing from that game as well. A truly amazing game, one that you shouldn't hate because of its few short-comings, but should be loved for listening to the customer and giving them what they have wanted for 5 long years. Expand
  52. Jun 10, 2012
    The bugs have been largely excised so do yourself a favor and buy this game!!! No RPG will be able to touch this one for a long, long time. Skyrim deliveries on every level. After several months of play, I'm still discovering new things - just like Oblivion before it.

Do it. You won't be disappointed!
  53. Nov 20, 2014
    An Immersive, outstanding RPG and one of the best ever made in its genre. Laughable that any 'review' could give it any less than 9/10.

Good - Huge, beautiful and immersive world with almost limitless role play possibilities and gameplay choices. Like all truly great games, you can sink hours into Skyrim without really doing much in the game. The main story, while not as well suited to all players races as Oblvions is excellent and fits perfectly into the land of the Nords. The overall gameplay is far superior to any scrolls game that has come before. JUst a great, great game with potentially thousands of hours of gameplay.

Bad - Yes there are some bugs that persist even today and some can be frustrating. Lore wise its just not as open ended as oblivion; if you care about such things as I do, you would never choose a Dragonborn to be anything but a Nord or maybe Imperial, anything else would be stupid.

Verdict - Any game of this scale is going to have bugs, some smaller ones have never been fixed, but that doesn't stop Skyrim from being a truly great game and possibly the best rpg ever made. 9/10, FACT.
  54. Dec 31, 2011
    While The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim does not revolutionize the RPG genre it sure does bring fresh new content to the table. From epic scenery to ferocious dragon battles. The world of Skyrim left more to desire though, wishing for a more ambient and interactive world to explore. Don't get me wrong the world itself and detail of design of this game is amongst the best I've ever seen theseWhile The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim does not revolutionize the RPG genre it sure does bring fresh new content to the table. From epic scenery to ferocious dragon battles. The world of Skyrim left more to desire though, wishing for a more ambient and interactive world to explore. Don't get me wrong the world itself and detail of design of this game is amongst the best I've ever seen these past years. That's the main reason why I did not give this game a 10/10. Lost 1 point for lack of ambiance amongst the world. Exploring the world itself can take time and not to mention playing on "Master" difficulty will add plenty of hours to main quests and side quests. Whilst playing on anything below "Master" will definitely leave you wanting for more since the main quest is a bit short but can be elongated if the difficulty setting is changed. Then again, there are plenty of other quests the game provides you that will keep you busy through months, that is if you're the perfectionist or adventurer type. There are plenty of crafts to master from smithing to enchanting weaponry. I took another point off due to the basic level up system Skyrim has, while there are a variety of options there's not enough to say it is a true RPG leveling system. It follows more of the likes of Dragon Age, which is simplistic and does not really leave room to create unique characters from pures to hybrids. The giants are stronger than dragons debate I can say it is the difficulty level you're playing and the dragon you're fighting. A regular dragon is amongst the easiest, whilst a frost dragon can 1 hit KO the character. Most of these people complaining about the length obviously didn't take the time to change the difficulty setting of the game and just basically rushed through the main story instead of allowing themselves to enjoy this game. There's tons of books scattered around to collect that provide knowledge of certain areas, characters, history, organizations, and ect that can keep you busy reading if you're the person who enjoys expanding you're knowledge about Skyrim. I have to agree with some people stating some side quests left more to desire and that's another reason why I'm not giving this game a 10/10. About glitches and bugs found in Skyrim, we have to understand this is an open world sand box game so expect plenty of bugs and glitches. There's really nothing game breaking other than some words cannot be learned due to a bug on the game but does not necessarily impair you from completing quests.Overall this game is worth the $60.00 for players who are RPG fans. Many people claim this game is repetitive but which game isn't? FPS games = shoot/mission over/ cinematic/ infiltrate shoot/ mission over/ cinematic. That debate loses plenty of credibility fast as this game provides plenty of other options to keep yourself busy and away from monotonous dungeon clearing. Expand
  55. Jan 4, 2012
    I'll admit, I didn't like Oblivion. I found the game boring and I was never compelled to explore or stay with the game. But the main reason I didn't like it was because I didn't play it properly. I always fast travelled, and I never explored so I just go bored. So I was sceptical about buying Skyrim, but It just looked so good, and I now knew how to play it properly. As soon as I startedI'll admit, I didn't like Oblivion. I found the game boring and I was never compelled to explore or stay with the game. But the main reason I didn't like it was because I didn't play it properly. I always fast travelled, and I never explored so I just go bored. So I was sceptical about buying Skyrim, but It just looked so good, and I now knew how to play it properly. As soon as I started playing, I was addicted. The numerous amount of improvements it makes on Oblivion are great. The game is more personal than ever. You now get to shape your character in the exact way you want to. I am a Khajiit who specialises in one-handed weapons, magic, heavy armour, sneaking, lockpicking, smithing and I am still trying to improve on my other skills. It's an incredible system that works fantastically. Lots of people complain about the bugs. I have had the game for about a week and have played around 17 hours and haven't encountered many bugs or the incredibly slow framerate that apparently plagues the PS3 versions of the game. I did encounter the framerate a few days ago, but the next day I didn't play at all, and the day after I started playing and it worked fine. There are a few problems with this game, and it is far from perfect. The shadows a shocking on the PS3 version. The shadows almost always have jagged edges and look really bad. Graphically this game looks great. Not amazing but great. Looking from a distance, the game is incredible. But up close, things are less than pretty. That said, overall Skyrim looks great. Thankfully, Skyrim has a lot better facial animation than the shocking animation that was in Oblivion. The conversations don't pause time and unlike Oblivion, the faces aren't expressionless. However the facial animations still aren't perfect. The overall animations however, are a LOT better than Oblivion. in Oblivion, the characters looked as if they were walking on air, now their feet actually look like they're making contact with the ground. The gameplay is fantastic. I have been addicted to this game, and have played for up to 4 hours straight at times ( I know that's not much compared to other people, but for me it is). The weapons still look like they're cutting through air than flesh, but are a lot better than they were in Oblivion. The magic is awesome, as you can now have on magic spell per hand, so you can be shooting to fire streams at a time, or shooting one fire stream, while defending yourself with the Lesser Ward. You can also have magic in one hand, sword in the other, dual wield swords, have a sword and shield or use a two handed weapon. There are a LOT of things to do in Skyrim. So far I have joined the College at Winterhold to become a mage, joined the Stormcloaks, Joined the Thieves Guild, completed side quests, explored, cleared dungeons, fought dragons and found tonnes of loot. And I haven't even scratched the surface. There is so much to do in Skyrim, so if you buy it, you really need to dedicate quite a bit of time to it. So I'm glad I bought it during the holiday season. Skyrim isn't perfect, and there are problems, but this is simply a game that can't be missed. Expand
  56. Dec 22, 2011
    Note: I have a ps3 slim with lots of space on my hard drive and have auto saves turned off. It runs just fine
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This game is masterful. The graphics, combat, lore, and the leveling up system is just amazing. There's nothing more satisfying than seeing your character get super powerful and decimate all who dare meet you in combat. WARNING: This game may become your life
  57. Nov 23, 2011
    Only about 20 hours in but Skyrim just keeps getting bigger and bigger. This is a staggering experience that will be in my game rotation for months to come. My only gripe is the cumbersome menu and load times.
  58. Feb 11, 2012
    Apart from the bugs(which a lot were fixed with a recent patch), I have thoroughly enjoyed this game. I played it for three straight months, and didn't really play any other game. Hopefully, Bethesda eventually will fix all the frame rate issues and I think user scores will be much more positive.
  59. Apr 7, 2012
    I refrained from playing Skyrim for a while while the problems were patched. But now as I play it, I realized I have wasted the past few months NOT PLAYING IT. It is a phenomenon, and a MetaScore as poor as 5.4 is a travesty! People, what doesn't this game give you? Huge roaming space, millions of NPCS to meet and dragons to fight. I understand the game had issues and that was unforgivableI refrained from playing Skyrim for a while while the problems were patched. But now as I play it, I realized I have wasted the past few months NOT PLAYING IT. It is a phenomenon, and a MetaScore as poor as 5.4 is a travesty! People, what doesn't this game give you? Huge roaming space, millions of NPCS to meet and dragons to fight. I understand the game had issues and that was unforgivable AT THE TIME. But come to your senses, and come back to Tamriel. Now with the fixed lag issues, you won't regret your stay. Expand
  60. Oct 17, 2012
    I do not understand the bad reviews on this game. This game is amazing. For all you oblivion, fallout fans u must get this game and play it!!!!!!!!!!!
  61. Jun 20, 2015
    Skyrim is one of those games that you hear so much about you MUST try it for yourself. So i did. And for the most part i was very pleased there is SOOOOOOOOOO much to do. The world is larger than pretty much any game i have ever played and i mean that quite literally. Filled with side quests there is probably hundreds of side quests and i'm not exaggerating that either. Also probably theSkyrim is one of those games that you hear so much about you MUST try it for yourself. So i did. And for the most part i was very pleased there is SOOOOOOOOOO much to do. The world is larger than pretty much any game i have ever played and i mean that quite literally. Filled with side quests there is probably hundreds of side quests and i'm not exaggerating that either. Also probably the best thing about this game the sound track it is absolutely beautiful the song of the dragonborn is epic and the songs you hear while traveling are peaceful and calming. However this game that so many people claim to be perfect is NOT perfect particularly for the ps3 version.

The main problem i have with this game is the combat now i have heard many many excuses for the combat system such as i don't get it or i just don't like it because it is different but there is no justification for the lazy combat system in this game now it isn't a bad combat system however it is boring just a simple spam the attack button or hold the attack button it is lazy and feels like you are accomplishing nothing when you attack the sound effects are bland as well. That doesn't mean the voice acting and everything else is bad in fact the voice acting is some of the best i have ever seen in a game. I also give props to the dragon sound effects very well done.

Another very large issue i had was that no matter what you do none of the npcs will act differently i have killed dragons in some of the larges cities in the entire game and no one will respond or even a cheap little thanks to my heroic actions. In fact the most response i get is an attack from the guards if i steal or kill a chicken.(yes that does happen)

The side quests are a tad pointless. Besides the Thieves guild and the Dark Brotherhood quests the side missions are for the most part boring besides a few daedric missions but besides that it is rather pointless things like fetch some gems for a jeweler or get some frost wraith teeth for an old lady.

The big issue is for the ps3 version itself first time playing this game i had to reinstall because large parts of the map didn't load don't like having to do that ever i have even heard from others that the lag becomes to horrible that you can't even play the game.

Overall i really really liked skyrim but it does have problems and they cannot be ignored but i still managed to get over 50 hours of fun out of this game.
  62. Nov 8, 2015
    This is probably one of the best games ever, although it is not perfect in any way.
    Graphics are beautiful compared to the prequel Oblivion, an animations just got a lot better, making gameplay a lot better. Although that, gameplay could be still better, its still someway floaty
    World in Skyrim is BEAUTIFUL, and random encounters make up for pretty memorable experiences, like the one i had with the encounter of a giant and a dragon. Magic is also really fine, and sidequest are like... infinite.
    There are a lot of secrets, too.
    The only real flaw i found to this date is de horse riding, really laggy and buggy
    There are also long loading times in PS3 version, and some frame rate issues with crashing.
    So.. i give this PS3 version a 9 out of 10, anyway this is an incredible game
  63. Dec 8, 2011
    Yes it lags. No I don't care. It doesn't matter because it's an amazing game. I have been absorbed into this game and I can't get out. It doesn't matter that there are glitches. I still deserves a 10/10 because in NO way can it get a 0 very VERY few games deserve a 0. IGN haven't ever given out a 0. What did you do? Plan this attack? Did you all decide to dislike it at once? Listen.Yes it lags. No I don't care. It doesn't matter because it's an amazing game. I have been absorbed into this game and I can't get out. It doesn't matter that there are glitches. I still deserves a 10/10 because in NO way can it get a 0 very VERY few games deserve a 0. IGN haven't ever given out a 0. What did you do? Plan this attack? Did you all decide to dislike it at once? Listen.
    Graphics: 9.0
    Sound: 10
    Story: 9.0
    Presentation: 8.5
    Length: 10
    Gameplay: 10
    You can do anything at all. I don't know what I'll get other than hates but I'll still say it: Game of the Year.
  64. Mar 20, 2013
    The greatest game I have ever played! This is video gaming at its finest. There is so much you can do in this game. I've played it for a total of about 150 hours and I still haven't done everything. Combine that with awesome character customization, many fantastic side quests, an amazing main quest, and a massive, beautiful world, Skyrim is the pinnacle of gaming! I can't wait for moreThe greatest game I have ever played! This is video gaming at its finest. There is so much you can do in this game. I've played it for a total of about 150 hours and I still haven't done everything. Combine that with awesome character customization, many fantastic side quests, an amazing main quest, and a massive, beautiful world, Skyrim is the pinnacle of gaming! I can't wait for more Elder Scrolls games! Expand
  65. Nov 12, 2011
    This game is fan-fuggin-tastic! If you love the series and or Bethesda RPG games you will definitely love this game! This game is better than expected. All the negative reviews I have read so far are about minor little things that people have blown out of proportion. Some glitches do exist but as a gamer I accept these and sometimes have fun with them (like the flying in the air one,This game is fan-fuggin-tastic! If you love the series and or Bethesda RPG games you will definitely love this game! This game is better than expected. All the negative reviews I have read so far are about minor little things that people have blown out of proportion. Some glitches do exist but as a gamer I accept these and sometimes have fun with them (like the flying in the air one, that's just funny and kinda cool the view you get!) Others like freezing and texture issues are minor. I had the game freeze in the opening sequence, but I restarted and it has worked great ever since. I didn't let a minor occurrence ruin anything that this wonderful game has to offer. The graphics aren't the best in the biz but the best in the series. The lighting is finally quite gorgeous for the series and adds a visual bonus (some shadows!). Combat is actually quite good and fun. Duel wielding isn't as polished as say bioshock but I have never thought it was broken or awful. The menu took a bit to get used to but now I am popping in and out of it on the fly and using the favorites like none other. The locations are fantastic and the story is great. This is one of the best games out there to date and if you skip over this title you are missing a huge experience that surprises you around every mountain peak. So I say go buy this game (rent only if you can keep for a month minimum) and enjoy it, play it and experience it. Don't cry that your game froze once and a single texture was blurry or not loaded. Because all games have issues and this one is no different. So overall it's not perfect in every possible way but it is still 99% there. so i give the game a 9.9 since it isn't perfect. But that rounds up to 10. so 10/10 because I am having too much fun playing Skyrim instead of whining over minor annoyances. That's all, I can't wait to get back into it after writing this. Expand
  66. Nov 30, 2014
    It's almost 2015 and the bugs seem to have been resolved. This is a great game, but for some reason, I can't finish it after playing from the beginning 3 times. I get close to finishing, but if I take too much time off from the game, I forget where I am and the immersion is gone. It's also too easy after about mid game. It's a massive game, but most of the terrain is in the same coldIt's almost 2015 and the bugs seem to have been resolved. This is a great game, but for some reason, I can't finish it after playing from the beginning 3 times. I get close to finishing, but if I take too much time off from the game, I forget where I am and the immersion is gone. It's also too easy after about mid game. It's a massive game, but most of the terrain is in the same cold mountainous region. I know it's Skyrim, but it's a dreary setting everywhere unlike Oblivion which is more mixed.

Despite these minor complaints, Skyrim has a huge world and I'm proof that you could spend years exploring it and still not see it all. If my PS3 still worked, I would look forward to trying yet again from the beginning in a few months.
  67. Jan 12, 2014
    This is probably the best game ever made, certainly the best game available on PS3 for sure.

The game is monstrously huge the world is vaaaast! People think GTA is big, one area in Skyrim is bigger than the entire GTA world. With a game this big the longevity is obvious, you can put in weeks and weeks of hours into the game but new places, new quests, new weapons and new skills just never seem to stop popping up.

I got to a certain part in the game thinking oh no I'm coming to the end of the main story line, turns out i only got about 40% done it just doesn't end (unless your unemployed and play it all day everyday) Skyrim takes you into a fantasy world where you can make your own decisions that can effect a certain outcome to a certain quest. The order in which a player completes quests also effects future quests in a certain way (NOT SPOILING!)

I wont get into the quests and story line as I don't want to spoil it for the few people that haven't played it but the landscape, the backdrop,the entire world is just beautiful. Throw in probably the best soundtracks for a video game ever made and you have an amazing experience from start to finish it just doesn't get boring. The quests are always different.

Leveling up is totally at the players discretion regarding which skills you prefer to use and which type of character you want to be. All races have different strengths and weaknesses. The ability to pick your own race and level him/her up as you wish gives the player total control over his/her character rather than the majority of games just having a bog standard character that you have little or no control over.

I luckily rarely experienced any glitches or bugs people speak about in other reviews. I have put some serious hours into Skyrim and never had any problems with it which is why I am speaking so highly of it. I guess it would be annoying if it kept breaking but I guess I got lucky. I could speak about Skyrim all day but I can't say much more without adding SPOILERS.

Best RPG game ever made hands down, best overall game ever made? Its right up there for me.

Bring on Elder Scrolls 6.

Bravo Bethesda 10/10
  68. USG
    Nov 18, 2011
    Skyrim is analogous to a cult movie but much more popular. Like previous Elder Scrolls titles, Bethesda has succeeded in immersing a gamer in their world. Many aspects of gameplay have been fixed since Oblivion and new features are added that come from Fallout. The new and the improved features have greatly enhanced the game, but there are some insignificant glitches present.
  69. Nov 21, 2011
    My only major complaint is the very poor UI design for managing inventory.

But otherwise it is an incredibly open world where it seems like everything is possible. The PS3 controls take a bit to get used to, but the gameplay is incredible. For anyone that has any interest in RPGs, it is an excellent addition to the genre.
  70. Jul 17, 2013
    Summary
    +Very interesting quest
    +Massive amount of good quality content +Improvements over Oblivion +Great Graphics (at the time) -In some places the gameplay feels static -Some things that have been taken from Oblivion when they shouldn’t have been. -The difficulty spikes. -Bugs In short I would urge you to buy this game now. Unfortunately, though I haven’t played any of the
    Summary
    +Very interesting quest
    +Massive amount of good quality content
    +Improvements over Oblivion
    +Great Graphics (at the time)
    -In some places the gameplay feels static
    -Some things that have been taken from Oblivion when they shouldn’t have been.
    -The difficulty spikes.
    -Bugs

In short I would urge you to buy this game now. Unfortunately, though I haven’t played any of the games DLC, from what I have read the DLC content doesn’t other much, so unless you are a major fan, I would avoid spending money on that stuff.

Full Review (I could go about this game for ages but unfortunately metacritic have a 5000 character limit, so if I miss out anything you wanted to know about I am sorry)
    One of the great things amount Skyrim is the sheer amount of game content, which at times can feel overwhelming. I mean I played over 200hours (I know I am sad but I am getting help) and still didn’t complete every side activity quest etc. However unlike in a lot of RPGs where such levels of content are research by padding like fetch quests, in Skyrim while fetch quests are present, most quests are interesting and feel unique to each other. In particularly the quests for the companions which lead you to become a werewolf are exciting. Such vast content is enhanced by the sheer hugeness of game, with its massive map with locations being numerous, and each being interesting. This in combination with the introduction of dragons which are awesome (tough they can get a bit annoying after a while), and an interesting story of you being a rebel or empire supporter and dragonborn, makes for a great game. As far as I can see the only real problem with this is how it can get overwhelming, e.g. sometimes you will go on a quest an in the hour it takes you to complete it you will get 5 new one to complete, though that isn’t a majorly bad thing.

The next thing worth discussing is the improvements over Oblivion. The most obvious improvement (apart from graphics) is the ability to dual wield magic. This helps to increase the level of tension in combat as it allows you to cast spells while attacking with melee weapons, without the attacks being interpreted as they were in Oblivion. Other improvements include the levelling up system, because you can use points to unlock abilities e.g. the ability to create dragon armour. This enhances the RPG elements, because in Oblivion the upgrades are won with the increasing of skills, there is no choice over what skills you unlock. However unfortunately they did take some things out of Oblivion that will be missed. The obvious one is the arena which in Oblivion helped you settle into the game; in Skyrim the arena is gone. Another thing missing from Oblivion is how in Oblivion you could fast travel to all cities from the start, which helped making exploring more enjoyable. In Skyrim you have to spend ages unlocking every city individual by traveling to them. However this is largely nit picking because they haven’t removed so much features it is a major blow to the overall quality of the game.

Unfortunately they are major aspects of the game I am not sure about.

This first is the emphasis on magic, making it over powered. This is an annoyance if you are like me and you prefer melee, because I found that enemies would just shoot ice spikes at you draining your stamina, making you a sitting duck in a whole heap of However this isn’t such a bad thing because the nature of the game makes it easier to use both magic and melee, making it more of a tactical game. Certainly more so than Oblivion where you either charged in or keep you’re distant and cast spells.

The second major thing that I struggle to defend is that of the massive difficulty spikes. It is so annoying how often you will breeze through a location without dying once, then you get to like a mini-boss, and he kills you with two hits. This is why I would advise saving often to avoid having to go through the BS again. While some claim this is an improvement over Oblivion I disagree, because in Oblivion while enemies levelled up with you it meant you could control the difficulty by deciding that you level up to make it more difficulty. In Skyrim that freedom is removed.

The third issue is the story. It is fairly predictable and surprisingly forgettable. I think is this largely because the fact you are dragonborn in the game doesn’t add much to the combat as the shouts feel more like an average spell. This means that when the blades place all emphasis on your character, you don’t feel that much more powerful than them. That said the numerous side missions more than make up for the story.

The final major annoyance is how this game is notorious for bugs. I have to say I didn’t experience any myself until I got to about 50hours in them the game froze a few times. However this is no major issue because the bugs don’t make the game unplayable as some claim, and aren’t enough to remove all the positive aspects of the game.
  71. Oct 31, 2015
    Great game and spent many many hours on it. Re-play value is extremely good as well. I have purchased the game 2-3 months after release so i missed the bugs. I do advise everyone buying games from bethesda to do so as this is generally the problem. After bugs are sorted they create amazing games. I cannot fault Skyrim on anything really. Storyline, graphics (at that time), options,Great game and spent many many hours on it. Re-play value is extremely good as well. I have purchased the game 2-3 months after release so i missed the bugs. I do advise everyone buying games from bethesda to do so as this is generally the problem. After bugs are sorted they create amazing games. I cannot fault Skyrim on anything really. Storyline, graphics (at that time), options, choices, etc all 10/10 Expand
  72. Nov 16, 2011
    I've been anticipating the release of Elder Scrolls V for years now. Ever since I played Oblivion, I wanted an expanded version of that amazing adventure. Oblivion was one of my favorite games from this gen, easily getting a 10/10 from me, so of course I wanted a sequal. Finally, we have that sequal, and it's almost as good as anticipated. This game is nothing short of fantastic. For one,I've been anticipating the release of Elder Scrolls V for years now. Ever since I played Oblivion, I wanted an expanded version of that amazing adventure. Oblivion was one of my favorite games from this gen, easily getting a 10/10 from me, so of course I wanted a sequal. Finally, we have that sequal, and it's almost as good as anticipated. This game is nothing short of fantastic. For one, the world is absolutely huge! The world of Elder Scrolls IV was big already, and Skyrim almost tops it. There are more areas to visit this time, and it is just gorgeous. The visuals in this world are far superior to it's predecessor. Often times, I found myself walking through the wilderness and stopping to bare witness to a stunning scenery of mountains, trees, and wildlife. The graphics may not be up to date, but they're good enough for the environments to be nothing short of beautiful. In addition to this large and gorgeous world comes plenty to do. Even after you beat the main story, which only took me a couple of days, you are still overflowed with content that will keep you busy for a while. This game takes to memory on where you've been and what you've done, and uses it to generate new things to do based on your situation and location, ultimately making this game literally endless. Likely chances are, this game will keep you busy for a long time. The combat system is also very well improved, but it also a bit more simplified than Oblivion. In Oblivion, you had to choose between a large number of different jobs, and often times you got confused and didn't know what you wanted to be. But in Skyrim, it's narrowed down to warrior, mage, or thief. This might come as a disappointment to some, but I see it as an improvement, because now you're not limited to just concentrating on major skills, there are more options available to you now. In Oblivion, if you chose thief, you gained XP from using a bow, but not a dagger. In Skyrim, you gain XP from both equally, so you're not just restricted to using one weapon type. I chose to be a thief, and though the blade option was open to me, I chose to make the bow my primary weapon, and mainly used dual daggers for close combat. Yeah that's right, you can dual wield now, and not just weapons either, but spells too. In fact, you can actually wield spells and melee weapons at the same time now, thanks to the new dual wielding feature. Wanna slash and cast lightning at the same time? Go right ahead! But combat has improved beyond just job choice and dual wielding, but upgrading your stats as well. When you level up, you are asked to either increase MP, HP, or Stamina, and you can choose only one per level up. Along with this, you gain an upgrade point, which you can apply to any major or minor skills to learn new abilities. For example, you can use these points to learn a bow ability that allows you to zoom in when aiming. Later on, you can use a point to learn an ability that automatically slows down time when you zoom in with your bow, and later add more damage multipliers to your sneak attacks, which I needed alot, since I am mostly sneaking my way through enemy territory, and quietly sniping any enemies in the way before they notice me. Learning new skills applies to every major skill, all of which are improved over Oblivion. And of course you have the most talked about add on to this game. DRAGONS! Slaying dragons is actually the most fun thing to do in this game. Often times, you'll be traveling out in the field, then suddenly you'll randomly be attacked by a dragon, or maybe you'll see one off in the distance. Thanks to your new dragonborn abilities, slaying dragons will be no problem for you. You have shouts that you can use against them to either slow them down, or hurt them, and using these shouts is a load of fun. You start with a few basic shouts once you kill your first dragon, but you can later find shrines where you can learn new shouts to not only use against dragons, but regular enemies as well. However some dragon types will prove harder than others. Like the blood dragons or skeleton dragons. Watch out for these bastards! Overall, the game is great, but it's not without issues. For one, it's a Bethesda game. What does that mean? Exactly. Bugs, bugs, bugs, and even more annoying bugs, many of which can interfere with progression, especially with the PS3 version. I made the unwise decision of getting it on PS3, and take my word for it, if you have a 360 or PC, get Skyrim on one of those, the PS3 version is mostly broken. Plus, as great as the game is, and as much as it's improved over Oblivion, it still strongly resembles the experience we had with Oblivion, so there's still a feeling of "I played this before" in this game. Skyrim failed to take a big fresh approach to the franchises formula, but does extremely well at expanding on it. Overall, a game that cannot be missed. A 9/10. Expand
  73. Feb 1, 2012
    Don't listen to all of these haters, I have had these lag issues too but they only happened after a couple of hours of playing anyway. I would just turn it off for awhile or play a different game. If it wasn't for this I would give it a 10 because it is the best game ever made.
  74. Nov 10, 2012
    Skyrim is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Perhaps the main history isn´t interesting enough, but if you play the alter-missions mixed with the main history, this game becomes very enjoyable. The bugs and the glitches happen usually in this game, but instead of hate the game becouse of that, I really enjoy and laugh a lot with some of them ( Like a dragon flying inSkyrim is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Perhaps the main history isn´t interesting enough, but if you play the alter-missions mixed with the main history, this game becomes very enjoyable. The bugs and the glitches happen usually in this game, but instead of hate the game becouse of that, I really enjoy and laugh a lot with some of them ( Like a dragon flying in cyrcles, or things like that ). In conclusion:
    The best: Beautiful graphics, hours and hours and hours of gaming, great music and the best RPG game in 2011.
    The worst: Some bugs, main history a bit boring.
  75. Apr 8, 2013
    This game is hands down amazing. Visually stunning, an enormous amount of quests and missions to do. There was a day where I did nothing but wander around in the woods and find locations. I play a lot of games, i have an xbox gamer-score around 40K and level 16 in PS3 trophies. I played this game and only this game for nearly four months. Amazing in every capacity. Ignore the high amountThis game is hands down amazing. Visually stunning, an enormous amount of quests and missions to do. There was a day where I did nothing but wander around in the woods and find locations. I play a lot of games, i have an xbox gamer-score around 40K and level 16 in PS3 trophies. I played this game and only this game for nearly four months. Amazing in every capacity. Ignore the high amount of negative comments on this game, a lot of people were just upset because one of the early patches for the game actually made it worse. Guess what it's a massive game, with tons of stuff going on and tons of things to do, there are going to be issues with any game of this scope. Expand
  76. Nov 20, 2011
    This game has endless content, gorgeous graphics, unscripted dragons, over a hundred spells, dual wielding, a giant map that extends forever, live characters, people that react to every last thing you do. (Ex I had fire spell in my hand, little girl says it's bad to play with fire mister, or I had a dragon sword in my hand, little boy said I like you're sword sir. or I drop stuff in theThis game has endless content, gorgeous graphics, unscripted dragons, over a hundred spells, dual wielding, a giant map that extends forever, live characters, people that react to every last thing you do. (Ex I had fire spell in my hand, little girl says it's bad to play with fire mister, or I had a dragon sword in my hand, little boy said I like you're sword sir. or I drop stuff in the streets and people fight over it, trying to take it)

Endless quests, epic weapons, amazing music, many places to live, get married, tons of factions, kill animations, crafting, alchemy, enchanting, smelting, mining, wood chopping, tanning, smelting, sharpening, the world is so beyond alive it's crazy. Everything is so amazing, it's the most beautiful hand crafted world I have ever seen. Skyrim is nothing short of a master piece, and Bethesda earns every amount of praise they get. Game of the year, best game of all time.
  77. May 9, 2012
    Isn't it about time everybody change their reviews? Since most of the problems have been patched. You've probably read/watched plenty of reviews already so I can't really tell you anything you haven't heard. I can tell you that most of it's true, you will not want to stop playing this. There is one compliant I have and that is your partners can die, I know in terms of gameplay this makesIsn't it about time everybody change their reviews? Since most of the problems have been patched. You've probably read/watched plenty of reviews already so I can't really tell you anything you haven't heard. I can tell you that most of it's true, you will not want to stop playing this. There is one compliant I have and that is your partners can die, I know in terms of gameplay this makes sense but it makes me not want to bring them along so I have to take care of them. Expand
  78. Dec 17, 2011
    There are two negative things I can say about this game. One is the lag issue on PS3. Sometimes, I would have to completely reset my system, just because the frame rate would drop so much I couldn't take two steps without it freezing for x number of seconds. The other negative, is THIS GAME IS SOOO ADDICTING! I couldn't get my laundry done or my dishes done or anything cuz I can't stopThere are two negative things I can say about this game. One is the lag issue on PS3. Sometimes, I would have to completely reset my system, just because the frame rate would drop so much I couldn't take two steps without it freezing for x number of seconds. The other negative, is THIS GAME IS SOOO ADDICTING! I couldn't get my laundry done or my dishes done or anything cuz I can't stop playing!!!!!! Expand
  79. Apr 18, 2016
    It was broken at launch. Bethesda fixed almost everything but the framerate.

What's that? Oh, I'm being told my review has to be 150 characters long.
  80. Apr 2, 2012
    I am amazed at the negative reviews for Skyrim. God knows what people want in a game as, in my opinion, this is near perfect as a game could be. Admittedly, I did start getting a bit bored by my 300th hour but then I continued with one of the main quest lines and was blown away all over again (won't do a spoiler to explain but you'll know when you get there - if you haven't been already).I am amazed at the negative reviews for Skyrim. God knows what people want in a game as, in my opinion, this is near perfect as a game could be. Admittedly, I did start getting a bit bored by my 300th hour but then I continued with one of the main quest lines and was blown away all over again (won't do a spoiler to explain but you'll know when you get there - if you haven't been already). I have been constantly entertained by this game and even the bugs have given me laugh out loud moments (like leaving a building and having a child fall out of the sky to start wandering down the street - or my companion continuing to follow and speak to me, even though he was lying flat on his back). It is by far the best game I have ever played and I cannot tear myself away - I have Crysis 2 sitting there waiting to be played but I just can't eject that skyrim disc to replace it with something else. Maybe I'll do it after another 20 or so hours. Thank you Bethesda for creating this incredible world that has had me mesmerised since December. Love you lots n lots! Expand
  81. Nov 12, 2011
    Bethesda does it again. Every time I play this game it transports me into the vivid world of Skyrim. The new combat system feels amazing. The one thing I would have liked to see is a hardcore mode like they put into New Vegas. I have a strong feeling that is will get the GOTY award. STOP WASTING TIME AND JUST GO BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  82. Nov 13, 2011
    I love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and doI love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and do other quests. There are side quests with amazing detail that aren't even part of the main campaign.

I'm giving it a 9 though because there are a few technical issues I don't agree with.
  83. Sep 13, 2014
    The PS3 got the worst version of Skyrim, but even so, I can't give it anything less than a 10. Skyrim is a masterpiece, and one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever created.

I don't have to tell you how amazing the world of Skyrim is, you'll have to live it. Even the few quirks (and glitches) of the game are overwhelmed by how well everything else was done. The attention to detail is amazing. There are a few things I wished it would have done better, like the frequency of the dragon fights. Once you've slewed your 20th dragon, the sense of wonder is gone. Still, I don't think I've ever played a better videogame.

As for the PS3, while the graphics have been downgraded dramatically as updates go by, the main ruiner of the game's experience is the ridiculous load times. I think I have spent at least 15% of the time I've played this game staring at a loading screen. When this time adds up to hundreds of hours of gameplay, it becomes staggering. Hope you didn't forget anything important once you open that door, because to get it back, you'll have to wait a few minutes.

Yes, the PC version is the gold standard, but I like that in the console where you are not allowed to tinker with the game, it retains its purity. At the time of this writing, I hope Skyrim makes it to the PS4, and improves over the PS3.
  84. Mar 14, 2012
    Ok, let's be honest, there are a lot of bugs and issues with this game.
    The fact it freezes forcing a restart roughly once every 3-4 hours, the fact your companions get stuck and then in some cases just disappear of the planet, the fact that some quests are bugged based on the fact you have already done and area, or 1/2 way through another quests that crosses this one.
    Despite all this, I
    Ok, let's be honest, there are a lot of bugs and issues with this game.

Despite all this, I think Skyrim is an excellent game. From a size point of view it will keep you busy for months, from the fact you can build your character the way you want, no preset classes. This gives amazing scope for trying something new. A tank mage for example. you decide hiow you want your character to progress.
    The freedom to basically wonder around doing any dungeon/cave/tower in any order you want is great. I've had one quest in my tracking list for 3 days but everytime I try to get to it I get distracted by something else.
    I like the construction skills potions/leatherworking/blacksmith are all fun to do without being too laborious. With the extra things like marriage, vampirism, lycanthropy it's a great game and none on the PS3 are larger. If you like RPGs you won't get bigger or one with more scope than this, so avoid at peril.

Just make sure you save the game often :)...just in case
  85. Nov 21, 2011
    The only reason I made an account on this website is so I could review this game. This IS one of the best games of all time, period. Do not let anyone say otherwise. Currently the only issues I have had with this game have been the frame rate slowdowns and some NPC and graphical glitches, but nothing that cant be sorted with a patch. Now I could produce a giant list about what is so mindThe only reason I made an account on this website is so I could review this game. This IS one of the best games of all time, period. Do not let anyone say otherwise. Currently the only issues I have had with this game have been the frame rate slowdowns and some NPC and graphical glitches, but nothing that cant be sorted with a patch. Now I could produce a giant list about what is so mind blowing about this game so i will try and make this as brief as possible. This World itself is one of the best game worlds ever, everything feels so alive. The graphics for a world as open and as HUGE as this are outstanding, there is literally UNLIMITED amounts to do meaning that the lifespan on this game is forever. Also with so much to do, the developers have done a fantastic job of making it all so interesting. Im currently level 28 and have played now for around 35 hours and I have barely scratched the surface. The only game that i personally think can compete with this would be Fallout 3, however a new day has arrived and it is skyrim. Think of this game as the Beatles or Metallica, its going to be remembered and loved for some time. Im going to end this review now because I want to carry on playing this game, but be warned this game is truly addicting and once your hooked and see, you will think any other game is average in comparison. Expand
  86. Mar 18, 2012
    This is one of the greatest western RPG's created yet it is held back by MANY repetive quests, obnoxious characters, and many glitches. The expanse of the world as well as its beauty make up for it. The story is lackluster but still great.
  87. Jul 14, 2014
    By far one of the greatest games I've ever played.even if it had lag issues on ps3 the fame itself is among my top list...how can u rate 0 an elder scrolls game. I've spent like 200 hours on ps3...and 200 more on pc nodded...
  88. Feb 16, 2016
    Don't have much to say about Skyrim, just that it's one of the best games ever made. There's endless hours of fun so don't worry about getting bored or anything, there's always something to do.

It's just that in PS3 the game doesn't run as good as in PC. I myself have encountered very few lag moments or rendering issues, but I've seen problems with many other players. The game it's a

The game it's a 10/10 for the PC version, so try to get that one instead (if you have a good PC). In the other hand, this one's not a bad purchase. Just cross your fingers so you get an enjoyable experience from the PS3 port.
  89. Nov 15, 2011
    At first, I was REALLY skeptical about whether or not Bethesda could live up to their promises. I played over 150 hours of Oblivion, and I was really absorbed into it. Long story short, once I heard that theme play on the main menu, I knew this game would be amazing. So far, I've put a lot of time into the game and merely scratched the surface. In my opinion, this IS one of the best gamesAt first, I was REALLY skeptical about whether or not Bethesda could live up to their promises. I played over 150 hours of Oblivion, and I was really absorbed into it. Long story short, once I heard that theme play on the main menu, I knew this game would be amazing. So far, I've put a lot of time into the game and merely scratched the surface. In my opinion, this IS one of the best games ever made. It took what Morrowind and Oblivion had added them together in a perfect package. Man, I feel sorry for those COD fans below. I spent longer exploring the world, ignoring the main quest than it took them to complete MW3's. Please, go back to playing your rehashed piece of garbage. I've got a whole world to get back to! Expand
  90. Jan 24, 2012
    I`v played this game for 70 hours + now and i iv been lucky regarding the fall of fps when the game save file get large, Bethesda is releasing a patch to fix the ps3 problems so i wish that the bad reviews could wait until the patch comes. The game itself is pretty awesome, the huge open world is quite stunning with sleeker graphics and more wildlife. The playability is near endlessI`v played this game for 70 hours + now and i iv been lucky regarding the fall of fps when the game save file get large, Bethesda is releasing a patch to fix the ps3 problems so i wish that the bad reviews could wait until the patch comes. The game itself is pretty awesome, the huge open world is quite stunning with sleeker graphics and more wildlife. The playability is near endless because of the huge world and lots of quest, mining, smithing and so on, so you will not run out of things to do. the controls is good and the upgrade system is good. so overall the game is a must have and im sure it up for a GOTYA. Expand
  91. Nov 11, 2011
    so skyrim 1 word flawless. i used to think mass effect 2 was the best game ever until now skyrim is the BEST game ever made the story is amazing the combat is flawless fighting dragons is challenging yet still fun. this game will never end. my pick for game of the year and the best game ever made until mass effect 3 comes out.
  92. Jan 7, 2012
    A must-own title for RPG fans. It's the best Elder Scrolls title to date. The world is massive and the landscape is absolutely beautiful. The animations and visuals have improved greatly since Oblivion. Even after spending 100+ hours with the game, I still have so much to do. I haven't even beat the main story yet and there is still tons of side quests left for me to do. I don't thinkA must-own title for RPG fans. It's the best Elder Scrolls title to date. The world is massive and the landscape is absolutely beautiful. The animations and visuals have improved greatly since Oblivion. Even after spending 100+ hours with the game, I still have so much to do. I haven't even beat the main story yet and there is still tons of side quests left for me to do. I don't think there has ever been a game with so much content packed into one disc. The downside of Skyrim is like previous Bethesda titles, it's littered with glitches and freezing issues. I can't even count how many times the game has frozen on me. That is about the only problem I have with the game and it's what keeps it from getting a perfect score. I still highly recommend it to anyone looking to grind/loot through a beautiful world of quality content. Expand
  93. May 27, 2012
    Skyrim is the best game I have ever played. But it got a 9/10 because of the vast number of glitches, bugs and missing textures at certain points in the game.
  94. Oct 29, 2012
    It doesn't deserve the negative ratings it has got, sure there are some bugs, but, don't hinder gameplay in the slightest I find, some are even funny. I love Bethesda games :) I don't play on 'easy' moderate difficulty is always best, haha, then hardest :)
  95. Sep 3, 2014
    This game is a masterpiece! I played it so much and I still haven't done everything in it, and I don't know anyone who has either. The Game is Beautiful, The Characters are good, the Role-playing features are so good and there's so much more good about this game I cant even fit it in my Review box! Seriously if you haven't played this game go too your local store, and get it! It's so worthThis game is a masterpiece! I played it so much and I still haven't done everything in it, and I don't know anyone who has either. The Game is Beautiful, The Characters are good, the Role-playing features are so good and there's so much more good about this game I cant even fit it in my Review box! Seriously if you haven't played this game go too your local store, and get it! It's so worth the amount of money you pay for it! Expand
  96. Dec 6, 2011
    This game lags but as I write this the serious issues have been patched, even before they werent serious. This game is absolutly beautiful and you owe it to yourself to play it
  97. Nov 12, 2011
    ............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................The best adventure game ever made.
  98. Nov 20, 2011
    I absolubtely despised RPG's. No RPG was good enough for me. Skyrim changed that. An absolutely great game that will keep you glued to the couch. Instead of being like most games ( follow a linear path, shoot, repeat) this game defines RPG's. One of the best games in the market.
  99. Nov 15, 2011
    Great game.... environment is outstanding. I would give it a 9.5. The amount of quests you get can be overwhelming and you can get lost in the plot. Also there are a few crashes and bugs. But that doesn't ruin the experience. If you are looking for a pure RPG... get this game.
  100. May 3, 2014
    After the slow start on PS3, the patch fixed most issues and the game is very good. There is so much to do, and while some things will become repetitive, this is still worth picking up. Hundreds of hours of potential gameplay.

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Jan 2, 2012
    This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]