6.5

1. Jun 15, 2014
    Even if I ignored the extreme framerate issues, Skyrim would still be a huge disappointment when compared to the previous Oblivion. Just about all of the gameplay mechanics that made that game outstanding have been outright taken away or extremely dumbed down. For example, even though it was somewhat confusing for some players, in Oblivion you had total control over you character'sEven if I ignored the extreme framerate issues, Skyrim would still be a huge disappointment when compared to the previous Oblivion. Just about all of the gameplay mechanics that made that game outstanding have been outright taken away or extremely dumbed down. For example, even though it was somewhat confusing for some players, in Oblivion you had total control over you character's attributes, allowing you to create a superhuman character with maxed out health, speed, magic, and so on. In Skyrim however, you are now forced to choose between an increase of only health, stamina, and magic at each level up, which makes it impossible to create a "jack of all trades" character. This, combined with the addition of a fatigue meter which prevents you from sprinting indefinitely may be more realistic, but it's nowhere near as much fun. Hell, you can't even jump in this game! In addition, the fighting in general has been watered down severely. In terms of weapon combat, you no longer have the flashy directional power moves which you could use to disarm and stagger enemies, and in general the sword fighting just feels slow and clunky. This is even more detrimental because you can't sprint in all directions, which makes it virtually impossible to tactically move around to the side or rear of enemies during a battle.

The story has also taken a dramatic fall from grace. Quest lines such as the Mages and Thieves guilds are short and bare bones with no real surprises, and once completed, they leave you with almost nothing interesting to really show for it. I can't even recall a single NPC ever mentioning my new status as leader of these factions. In fact, NPCs never really have any interesting tales or conversations amongst themselves, making the world feel even less lively than it's predecessor, even with the expanded roster of voice actors.

In closing, I think that if Skyrim had been developed as a PC game first and then ported to consoles, many of these new design choices wouldn't have been introduced. But since the younger generation PS3 and Xbox owner were more of a primary focus this time around, many sacrifices had to be made, and a lot of the magic was lost in the process.
  2. USG
    Nov 18, 2011
    Skyrim is analogous to a cult movie but much more popular. Like previous Elder Scrolls titles, Bethesda has succeeded in immersing a gamer in their world. Many aspects of gameplay have been fixed since Oblivion and new features are added that come from Fallout. The new and the improved features have greatly enhanced the game, but there are some insignificant glitches present.
  3. Nov 21, 2011
    My only major complaint is the very poor UI design for managing inventory.

But otherwise it is an incredibly open world where it seems like everything is possible. The PS3 controls take a bit to get used to, but the gameplay is incredible. For anyone that has any interest in RPGs, it is an excellent addition to the genre.
  4. Jul 17, 2013
    Summary
    +Very interesting quest
    +Massive amount of good quality content +Improvements over Oblivion +Great Graphics (at the time) -In some places the gameplay feels static -Some things that have been taken from Oblivion when they shouldn’t have been. -The difficulty spikes. -Bugs In short I would urge you to buy this game now. Unfortunately, though I haven’t played any of the
    Summary
    +Very interesting quest
    +Massive amount of good quality content
    +Improvements over Oblivion
    +Great Graphics (at the time)
    -In some places the gameplay feels static
    -Some things that have been taken from Oblivion when they shouldn’t have been.
    -The difficulty spikes.
    -Bugs

In short I would urge you to buy this game now. Unfortunately, though I haven’t played any of the games DLC, from what I have read the DLC content doesn’t other much, so unless you are a major fan, I would avoid spending money on that stuff.

Full Review (I could go about this game for ages but unfortunately metacritic have a 5000 character limit, so if I miss out anything you wanted to know about I am sorry)
    One of the great things amount Skyrim is the sheer amount of game content, which at times can feel overwhelming. I mean I played over 200hours (I know I am sad but I am getting help) and still didn’t complete every side activity quest etc. However unlike in a lot of RPGs where such levels of content are research by padding like fetch quests, in Skyrim while fetch quests are present, most quests are interesting and feel unique to each other. In particularly the quests for the companions which lead you to become a werewolf are exciting. Such vast content is enhanced by the sheer hugeness of game, with its massive map with locations being numerous, and each being interesting. This in combination with the introduction of dragons which are awesome (tough they can get a bit annoying after a while), and an interesting story of you being a rebel or empire supporter and dragonborn, makes for a great game. As far as I can see the only real problem with this is how it can get overwhelming, e.g. sometimes you will go on a quest an in the hour it takes you to complete it you will get 5 new one to complete, though that isn’t a majorly bad thing.

The next thing worth discussing is the improvements over Oblivion. The most obvious improvement (apart from graphics) is the ability to dual wield magic. This helps to increase the level of tension in combat as it allows you to cast spells while attacking with melee weapons, without the attacks being interpreted as they were in Oblivion. Other improvements include the levelling up system, because you can use points to unlock abilities e.g. the ability to create dragon armour. This enhances the RPG elements, because in Oblivion the upgrades are won with the increasing of skills, there is no choice over what skills you unlock. However unfortunately they did take some things out of Oblivion that will be missed. The obvious one is the arena which in Oblivion helped you settle into the game; in Skyrim the arena is gone. Another thing missing from Oblivion is how in Oblivion you could fast travel to all cities from the start, which helped making exploring more enjoyable. In Skyrim you have to spend ages unlocking every city individual by traveling to them. However this is largely nit picking because they haven’t removed so much features it is a major blow to the overall quality of the game.

Unfortunately they are major aspects of the game I am not sure about.

This first is the emphasis on magic, making it over powered. This is an annoyance if you are like me and you prefer melee, because I found that enemies would just shoot ice spikes at you draining your stamina, making you a sitting duck in a whole heap of However this isn’t such a bad thing because the nature of the game makes it easier to use both magic and melee, making it more of a tactical game. Certainly more so than Oblivion where you either charged in or keep you’re distant and cast spells.

The second major thing that I struggle to defend is that of the massive difficulty spikes. It is so annoying how often you will breeze through a location without dying once, then you get to like a mini-boss, and he kills you with two hits. This is why I would advise saving often to avoid having to go through the BS again. While some claim this is an improvement over Oblivion I disagree, because in Oblivion while enemies levelled up with you it meant you could control the difficulty by deciding that you level up to make it more difficulty. In Skyrim that freedom is removed.

The third issue is the story. It is fairly predictable and surprisingly forgettable. I think is this largely because the fact you are dragonborn in the game doesn’t add much to the combat as the shouts feel more like an average spell. This means that when the blades place all emphasis on your character, you don’t feel that much more powerful than them. That said the numerous side missions more than make up for the story.

The final major annoyance is how this game is notorious for bugs. I have to say I didn’t experience any myself until I got to about 50hours in them the game froze a few times. However this is no major issue because the bugs don’t make the game unplayable as some claim, and aren’t enough to remove all the positive aspects of the game.
  5. Nov 15, 2015
    This game is amazing but the port isn't so amazing. The game plays well but there can be many frame rate drops, long loading screens, strange glitches, texture problems etc. If you are considering getting Skyrim then make sure you get the legendary edition and if you have a powerful PC then consider getting it on PC because it can handle the game much better.
  6. Jan 9, 2012
    I enjoy this game greatly. sadly let down by the lag due to the PS3. i enjoyed the story lines and quests and equipment you could get. i enjoy seeing the elder scrolls series carry on and i play each game and enjoy them to each of their own merits.

my score does not reflect how i feel about this game just simply the console it is on i have pruchased this on pc and hopefully any of you reading this will too.

i was talking about trading this in, thought give it one more chance. got out of a town rode a horse a little ways out got off it, Crashed! next trip game shop cashed in got swtor
  7. Nov 16, 2011
    I've been anticipating the release of Elder Scrolls V for years now. Ever since I played Oblivion, I wanted an expanded version of that amazing adventure. Oblivion was one of my favorite games from this gen, easily getting a 10/10 from me, so of course I wanted a sequal. Finally, we have that sequal, and it's almost as good as anticipated. This game is nothing short of fantastic. For one,I've been anticipating the release of Elder Scrolls V for years now. Ever since I played Oblivion, I wanted an expanded version of that amazing adventure. Oblivion was one of my favorite games from this gen, easily getting a 10/10 from me, so of course I wanted a sequal. Finally, we have that sequal, and it's almost as good as anticipated. This game is nothing short of fantastic. For one, the world is absolutely huge! The world of Elder Scrolls IV was big already, and Skyrim almost tops it. There are more areas to visit this time, and it is just gorgeous. The visuals in this world are far superior to it's predecessor. Often times, I found myself walking through the wilderness and stopping to bare witness to a stunning scenery of mountains, trees, and wildlife. The graphics may not be up to date, but they're good enough for the environments to be nothing short of beautiful. In addition to this large and gorgeous world comes plenty to do. Even after you beat the main story, which only took me a couple of days, you are still overflowed with content that will keep you busy for a while. This game takes to memory on where you've been and what you've done, and uses it to generate new things to do based on your situation and location, ultimately making this game literally endless. Likely chances are, this game will keep you busy for a long time. The combat system is also very well improved, but it also a bit more simplified than Oblivion. In Oblivion, you had to choose between a large number of different jobs, and often times you got confused and didn't know what you wanted to be. But in Skyrim, it's narrowed down to warrior, mage, or thief. This might come as a disappointment to some, but I see it as an improvement, because now you're not limited to just concentrating on major skills, there are more options available to you now. In Oblivion, if you chose thief, you gained XP from using a bow, but not a dagger. In Skyrim, you gain XP from both equally, so you're not just restricted to using one weapon type. I chose to be a thief, and though the blade option was open to me, I chose to make the bow my primary weapon, and mainly used dual daggers for close combat. Yeah that's right, you can dual wield now, and not just weapons either, but spells too. In fact, you can actually wield spells and melee weapons at the same time now, thanks to the new dual wielding feature. Wanna slash and cast lightning at the same time? Go right ahead! But combat has improved beyond just job choice and dual wielding, but upgrading your stats as well. When you level up, you are asked to either increase MP, HP, or Stamina, and you can choose only one per level up. Along with this, you gain an upgrade point, which you can apply to any major or minor skills to learn new abilities. For example, you can use these points to learn a bow ability that allows you to zoom in when aiming. Later on, you can use a point to learn an ability that automatically slows down time when you zoom in with your bow, and later add more damage multipliers to your sneak attacks, which I needed alot, since I am mostly sneaking my way through enemy territory, and quietly sniping any enemies in the way before they notice me. Learning new skills applies to every major skill, all of which are improved over Oblivion. And of course you have the most talked about add on to this game. DRAGONS! Slaying dragons is actually the most fun thing to do in this game. Often times, you'll be traveling out in the field, then suddenly you'll randomly be attacked by a dragon, or maybe you'll see one off in the distance. Thanks to your new dragonborn abilities, slaying dragons will be no problem for you. You have shouts that you can use against them to either slow them down, or hurt them, and using these shouts is a load of fun. You start with a few basic shouts once you kill your first dragon, but you can later find shrines where you can learn new shouts to not only use against dragons, but regular enemies as well. However some dragon types will prove harder than others. Like the blood dragons or skeleton dragons. Watch out for these bastards! Overall, the game is great, but it's not without issues. For one, it's a Bethesda game. What does that mean? Exactly. Bugs, bugs, bugs, and even more annoying bugs, many of which can interfere with progression, especially with the PS3 version. I made the unwise decision of getting it on PS3, and take my word for it, if you have a 360 or PC, get Skyrim on one of those, the PS3 version is mostly broken. Plus, as great as the game is, and as much as it's improved over Oblivion, it still strongly resembles the experience we had with Oblivion, so there's still a feeling of "I played this before" in this game. Skyrim failed to take a big fresh approach to the franchises formula, but does extremely well at expanding on it. Overall, a game that cannot be missed. A 9/10. Expand
  8. Dec 3, 2011
    It actually pains me to give "Skyrim" a higher score than "Dark Souls," particularly after being one of those snorty know-it-alls dismissing "The Elder Scrolls" and other Bethesda RPGs as bland excuses for a game. But I can't deny how INVOLVING this bland excuse for a game can be! Yes, the battle system is godawful compared to that wonderfully intricate hack-slash-block-dodge system inIt actually pains me to give "Skyrim" a higher score than "Dark Souls," particularly after being one of those snorty know-it-alls dismissing "The Elder Scrolls" and other Bethesda RPGs as bland excuses for a game. But I can't deny how INVOLVING this bland excuse for a game can be! Yes, the battle system is godawful compared to that wonderfully intricate hack-slash-block-dodge system in "Dark Souls." (Would it kill Bethesda to add a lock-on system so the fights don't feel like a floaty slap-fest somewhere three feet ahead of my player?) And yes, this game is as glitchy, if not more so, than "Dark Souls." (My personal favorite was a fight with a dragon who decided to fly right through a cliffside and kill some villagers on the other side like a sandworm.) Now here's what they did right with this game- they filled it, and I mean really filled it, with stuff to do. Confession - I've never been able to play more than five hours of a Bethesda/Elder Scrolls game before. Even "Fallout 3," one of the most critically acclaimed games of this generation, just felt like a whole lot of walking through the desert, talking to people who don't have anything interesting to say. In Skyrim, not only does every character have a hundred neat little quests to take on, they're actually DIFFERENT from each other. I got a fetch quest early on and had a sinking feeling I'd be collecting wolf pelt from respawning enemies WOW style for the rest of my life. But no. They really vary it up. And Skyrim,though large, is simply packed with unique moments. You can't walk for more than a minute before some new adventure begins. Admittedly, the game starts to gloss over after your 40th hour, but for once I can honestly say that my loss of attention was because of too much stuff to do, as opposed to samey grinding. I'm not giving it a higher review than 7, because the glitches really do ruin some of the immersion, and the battle system could do with a lot of work. But, unlike Dark Souls, none of the glitches felt game breaking. This is probably because it's practically impossible to do something wrong with your character, but hey. It's an adventure. You won't be challenged by this game, only immersed in it like a grand painting. And that's really not so bad. Expand
  9. Mar 31, 2014
    One of the finest examples of shallow reviewers who are noobs and suck really bad. Or that they got bribed by Bethesda. Going to make this short, so I can get to what matters most. If you are expecting at least one fun quest such as waiting for the old man to sit on his chair and you have to drop a bullhead on him to make it look like an accident while not getting caught by his giant manOne of the finest examples of shallow reviewers who are noobs and suck really bad. Or that they got bribed by Bethesda. Going to make this short, so I can get to what matters most. If you are expecting at least one fun quest such as waiting for the old man to sit on his chair and you have to drop a bullhead on him to make it look like an accident while not getting caught by his giant man servant(from Oblivion), you will find nothing like that here. Tricking a group of people into thinking they are about to win a prize and you have to lure them one by one to a room to kill them without the others seeing you(Oblivion). Nothing, not one quest here is exhilarating or inspired. Every quest is insipid, boring, shallow, soul less garbage that consists of kill everything or bring me this. This game is a major major borefest, I turned it in after 60 hrs when i could not keep telling myself that this game was good. Ive put about 300 into Oblivion. Expand
  10. Feb 1, 2012
    Don't listen to all of these haters, I have had these lag issues too but they only happened after a couple of hours of playing anyway. I would just turn it off for awhile or play a different game. If it wasn't for this I would give it a 10 because it is the best game ever made.
  11. Nov 10, 2012
    Skyrim is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Perhaps the main history isn´t interesting enough, but if you play the alter-missions mixed with the main history, this game becomes very enjoyable. The bugs and the glitches happen usually in this game, but instead of hate the game becouse of that, I really enjoy and laugh a lot with some of them ( Like a dragon flying inSkyrim is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Perhaps the main history isn´t interesting enough, but if you play the alter-missions mixed with the main history, this game becomes very enjoyable. The bugs and the glitches happen usually in this game, but instead of hate the game becouse of that, I really enjoy and laugh a lot with some of them ( Like a dragon flying in cyrcles, or things like that ). In conclusion:
    The best: Beautiful graphics, hours and hours and hours of gaming, great music and the best RPG game in 2011.
    The worst: Some bugs, main history a bit boring.
  12. Apr 8, 2013
    This game is hands down amazing. Visually stunning, an enormous amount of quests and missions to do. There was a day where I did nothing but wander around in the woods and find locations. I play a lot of games, i have an xbox gamer-score around 40K and level 16 in PS3 trophies. I played this game and only this game for nearly four months. Amazing in every capacity. Ignore the high amountThis game is hands down amazing. Visually stunning, an enormous amount of quests and missions to do. There was a day where I did nothing but wander around in the woods and find locations. I play a lot of games, i have an xbox gamer-score around 40K and level 16 in PS3 trophies. I played this game and only this game for nearly four months. Amazing in every capacity. Ignore the high amount of negative comments on this game, a lot of people were just upset because one of the early patches for the game actually made it worse. Guess what it's a massive game, with tons of stuff going on and tons of things to do, there are going to be issues with any game of this scope. Expand
  13. Nov 20, 2011
    This game has endless content, gorgeous graphics, unscripted dragons, over a hundred spells, dual wielding, a giant map that extends forever, live characters, people that react to every last thing you do. (Ex I had fire spell in my hand, little girl says it's bad to play with fire mister, or I had a dragon sword in my hand, little boy said I like you're sword sir. or I drop stuff in theThis game has endless content, gorgeous graphics, unscripted dragons, over a hundred spells, dual wielding, a giant map that extends forever, live characters, people that react to every last thing you do. (Ex I had fire spell in my hand, little girl says it's bad to play with fire mister, or I had a dragon sword in my hand, little boy said I like you're sword sir. or I drop stuff in the streets and people fight over it, trying to take it)

Endless quests, epic weapons, amazing music, many places to live, get married, tons of factions, kill animations, crafting, alchemy, enchanting, smelting, mining, wood chopping, tanning, smelting, sharpening, the world is so beyond alive it's crazy. Everything is so amazing, it's the most beautiful hand crafted world I have ever seen. Skyrim is nothing short of a master piece, and Bethesda earns every amount of praise they get. Game of the year, best game of all time.
  14. May 9, 2012
    Isn't it about time everybody change their reviews? Since most of the problems have been patched. You've probably read/watched plenty of reviews already so I can't really tell you anything you haven't heard. I can tell you that most of it's true, you will not want to stop playing this. There is one compliant I have and that is your partners can die, I know in terms of gameplay this makesIsn't it about time everybody change their reviews? Since most of the problems have been patched. You've probably read/watched plenty of reviews already so I can't really tell you anything you haven't heard. I can tell you that most of it's true, you will not want to stop playing this. There is one compliant I have and that is your partners can die, I know in terms of gameplay this makes sense but it makes me not want to bring them along so I have to take care of them. Expand
  15. Dec 17, 2011
    There are two negative things I can say about this game. One is the lag issue on PS3. Sometimes, I would have to completely reset my system, just because the frame rate would drop so much I couldn't take two steps without it freezing for x number of seconds. The other negative, is THIS GAME IS SOOO ADDICTING! I couldn't get my laundry done or my dishes done or anything cuz I can't stopThere are two negative things I can say about this game. One is the lag issue on PS3. Sometimes, I would have to completely reset my system, just because the frame rate would drop so much I couldn't take two steps without it freezing for x number of seconds. The other negative, is THIS GAME IS SOOO ADDICTING! I couldn't get my laundry done or my dishes done or anything cuz I can't stop playing!!!!!! Expand
  16. Nov 10, 2012
    I got this game in January after the main patches had been released and have never seen any bugs. This game is fantastic. I've played it for over 200 hours! Which is quite unlike me. So much to do, the world seems huge at first, but you soon get used to it. I have a small army fighting for me now, with a follower, battle dog, horse, quest character and 2 zombies at my command. I'mI got this game in January after the main patches had been released and have never seen any bugs. This game is fantastic. I've played it for over 200 hours! Which is quite unlike me. So much to do, the world seems huge at first, but you soon get used to it. I have a small army fighting for me now, with a follower, battle dog, horse, quest character and 2 zombies at my command. I'm currently hunting for the dragon priest masks. Expand
  17. Mar 14, 2012
    Ok, let's be honest, there are a lot of bugs and issues with this game.
    The fact it freezes forcing a restart roughly once every 3-4 hours, the fact your companions get stuck and then in some cases just disappear of the planet, the fact that some quests are bugged based on the fact you have already done and area, or 1/2 way through another quests that crosses this one.
    Despite all this, I
    Ok, let's be honest, there are a lot of bugs and issues with this game.

Despite all this, I think Skyrim is an excellent game. From a size point of view it will keep you busy for months, from the fact you can build your character the way you want, no preset classes. This gives amazing scope for trying something new. A tank mage for example. you decide hiow you want your character to progress.
    The freedom to basically wonder around doing any dungeon/cave/tower in any order you want is great. I've had one quest in my tracking list for 3 days but everytime I try to get to it I get distracted by something else.
    I like the construction skills potions/leatherworking/blacksmith are all fun to do without being too laborious. With the extra things like marriage, vampirism, lycanthropy it's a great game and none on the PS3 are larger. If you like RPGs you won't get bigger or one with more scope than this, so avoid at peril.

Just make sure you save the game often :)...just in case
  18. Sep 22, 2014
    Unkillable NPCs. Unkillable NPCs. Unkillable NPCs. Unkillable NPCs. Unkillable NPCs. Unkillable NPCs.

Score Breakdown: Unkillable NPCs -100/10, Total Score 0/10
  19. Apr 18, 2016
    It was broken at launch. Bethesda fixed almost everything but the framerate.

What's that? Oh, I'm being told my review has to be 150 characters long.
  20. Feb 19, 2012
    Honestly, to me this game is best summed up with a common proverb-like phrase "quantity over quality? Or Quality over quantity?". That is what signifies Skyrim. At it's core, Skyrim is an RPG with an immense world and TONS of gameplay opportunities with countless sidequests and stuff to do. However, as gamers we care more for entertainment. And entertainment does not always reflect on howHonestly, to me this game is best summed up with a common proverb-like phrase "quantity over quality? Or Quality over quantity?". That is what signifies Skyrim. At it's core, Skyrim is an RPG with an immense world and TONS of gameplay opportunities with countless sidequests and stuff to do. However, as gamers we care more for entertainment. And entertainment does not always reflect on how much content a game has. The fact of the matter is, all of skyrim's sidequests, main quests, and factions fall short. They're just not that great. I mean, it gets you to play the game but it's not all that fulfilling. You'll notice this when you reflect back on your experience. I found myself in the game rushing through quests JUST so I could get them over with. And then I paused, why am I doing this if I'm not having fun? It almost became a chore. The gameplay is repetitive, and many of the dungeons look the same. The story is quite awful, but the characters are OK and the voices are good. The main quest was a BIG disappointment for me, as it never riveted me at all. The ending was like "is this really it? THAT was the final boss?". Overall, the quests are just numblingly boring and the rewards are decent. In terms of leveling your character, i guess that can add some amusement but it's entirely useless. By the time you get to lvl 25 or 30. Nothing can kill you other than dragons. Sure get better armor, but what for? The presentation was decent, but games like RDR with just a big a world, have MUCH better presentation and less cartoony fat like characters. Also the game is littered with bugs and glitches, horrible framerate, and a save problem. Overall, Skyrim has a lot of content, but none of it is really worth a mention. Games like Uncharted, God of War, can be beat in 10-15 hours, but are a much more FUN and thrilling experience. Something worth your TIME. For me I got bored at lvl 30 and had no ambition on continuing. I prefer games like RDR with better story line, good content, and a cleaner free roam with better presentation. Quality > quantity. I would give this game a 5, judging SOLELY based on the content itself. But including the unprofessionalism of Bethesda releasing a defected products, knowing FULL well of its problems, I give it a 3. Expand
  21. Apr 2, 2012
    I am amazed at the negative reviews for Skyrim. God knows what people want in a game as, in my opinion, this is near perfect as a game could be. Admittedly, I did start getting a bit bored by my 300th hour but then I continued with one of the main quest lines and was blown away all over again (won't do a spoiler to explain but you'll know when you get there - if you haven't been already).I am amazed at the negative reviews for Skyrim. God knows what people want in a game as, in my opinion, this is near perfect as a game could be. Admittedly, I did start getting a bit bored by my 300th hour but then I continued with one of the main quest lines and was blown away all over again (won't do a spoiler to explain but you'll know when you get there - if you haven't been already). I have been constantly entertained by this game and even the bugs have given me laugh out loud moments (like leaving a building and having a child fall out of the sky to start wandering down the street - or my companion continuing to follow and speak to me, even though he was lying flat on his back). It is by far the best game I have ever played and I cannot tear myself away - I have Crysis 2 sitting there waiting to be played but I just can't eject that skyrim disc to replace it with something else. Maybe I'll do it after another 20 or so hours. Thank you Bethesda for creating this incredible world that has had me mesmerised since December. Love you lots n lots! Expand
  22. Nov 12, 2011
    Bethesda does it again. Every time I play this game it transports me into the vivid world of Skyrim. The new combat system feels amazing. The one thing I would have liked to see is a hardcore mode like they put into New Vegas. I have a strong feeling that is will get the GOTY award. STOP WASTING TIME AND JUST GO BUY IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  23. Nov 13, 2011
    I love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and doI love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and do other quests. There are side quests with amazing detail that aren't even part of the main campaign.

I'm giving it a 9 though because there are a few technical issues I don't agree with.
  24. Jul 9, 2012
    DO NOT, under any circumstances buy this game for the PS3, unless it's $20 or below. This is the worst version out to date, and it's funny how these pig headed publishers/Bethesda still prices this game as the 360 version. This game is still plague with major problems even with the patch. There still sound bugs, freezing, getting stuck in walls, and cracks, flying animals, glitches,DO NOT, under any circumstances buy this game for the PS3, unless it's $20 or below. This is the worst version out to date, and it's funny how these pig headed publishers/Bethesda still prices this game as the 360 version. This game is still plague with major problems even with the patch. There still sound bugs, freezing, getting stuck in walls, and cracks, flying animals, glitches, animation issues, must I go on? If your smart with your money, you'll wait for a dramatic price drop, or a complete edition for cheap, or just avoid this game on the PS3 all together. WTF are these main critics doing giving this a 9-10 for the PS3 version is beyond my understanding. Don't buy into the lies. Expand
  25. Dec 30, 2011
    When I heard it for the first time, I couldn't believe it. But I went to my friend's house and tried Skyrim on PS3, I loaded his save and was shocked by how laggy the game actually was.In fact, it went almost over the point of being playable. If you have a choice, make sure NOT to buy Skyrim for PS3
  26. Sep 13, 2014
    The PS3 got the worst version of Skyrim, but even so, I can't give it anything less than a 10. Skyrim is a masterpiece, and one of the greatest pieces of entertainment ever created.

I don't have to tell you how amazing the world of Skyrim is, you'll have to live it. Even the few quirks (and glitches) of the game are overwhelmed by how well everything else was done. The attention to detail is amazing. There are a few things I wished it would have done better, like the frequency of the dragon fights. Once you've slewed your 20th dragon, the sense of wonder is gone. Still, I don't think I've ever played a better videogame.

As for the PS3, while the graphics have been downgraded dramatically as updates go by, the main ruiner of the game's experience is the ridiculous load times. I think I have spent at least 15% of the time I've played this game staring at a loading screen. When this time adds up to hundreds of hours of gameplay, it becomes staggering. Hope you didn't forget anything important once you open that door, because to get it back, you'll have to wait a few minutes.

Yes, the PC version is the gold standard, but I like that in the console where you are not allowed to tinker with the game, it retains its purity. At the time of this writing, I hope Skyrim makes it to the PS4, and improves over the PS3.
  27. Nov 21, 2011
    The only reason I made an account on this website is so I could review this game. This IS one of the best games of all time, period. Do not let anyone say otherwise. Currently the only issues I have had with this game have been the frame rate slowdowns and some NPC and graphical glitches, but nothing that cant be sorted with a patch. Now I could produce a giant list about what is so mindThe only reason I made an account on this website is so I could review this game. This IS one of the best games of all time, period. Do not let anyone say otherwise. Currently the only issues I have had with this game have been the frame rate slowdowns and some NPC and graphical glitches, but nothing that cant be sorted with a patch. Now I could produce a giant list about what is so mind blowing about this game so i will try and make this as brief as possible. This World itself is one of the best game worlds ever, everything feels so alive. The graphics for a world as open and as HUGE as this are outstanding, there is literally UNLIMITED amounts to do meaning that the lifespan on this game is forever. Also with so much to do, the developers have done a fantastic job of making it all so interesting. Im currently level 28 and have played now for around 35 hours and I have barely scratched the surface. The only game that i personally think can compete with this would be Fallout 3, however a new day has arrived and it is skyrim. Think of this game as the Beatles or Metallica, its going to be remembered and loved for some time. Im going to end this review now because I want to carry on playing this game, but be warned this game is truly addicting and once your hooked and see, you will think any other game is average in comparison. Expand
  28. Mar 18, 2012
    This is one of the greatest western RPG's created yet it is held back by MANY repetive quests, obnoxious characters, and many glitches. The expanse of the world as well as its beauty make up for it. The story is lackluster but still great.
  29. Jul 14, 2014
    By far one of the greatest games I've ever played.even if it had lag issues on ps3 the fame itself is among my top list...how can u rate 0 an elder scrolls game. I've spent like 200 hours on ps3...and 200 more on pc nodded...
  30. Sep 4, 2015
    Probably the most overrated game in video game history...Skyrim redefines the word "SHALLOW" when it comes to video games and puts a new light on "Integrity" of our dear, bribed and conditionally blind professional "journalists".
    Poor main story, unimaginative to the bone, poorly presented, poorly executed, poorly paced, and like with all Bethesda games, with 0% characterization or any noticeable impact on the world.
    Horrible fetch X/kill Y side quests, repeated endlessly in a loop that comprise at least 75% of the game's "content"...there is no story here, no tangible reward, no unique dialogue or lore to discover, just mindless, generic grind.
    World is a theme park of dungeons, bandit camps and filled with babbling idiots who repeat the same inane nonsense on a loop...there is no sense of cohesion or place, no gripping atmosphere...it feels more like a Lego Box with toys stuffed into it to make it seem "full", rather than something designed with underlining vision behind it. Everything is copy pasted over another and by this I mean EVERYTHING...characters, dialogue, environment, music, quests...the game feels soulless to the core and more based on endlessly repeating algorythm, rather than handcrafted work of art with attention to detail and expressive characters/quests/environments. Skin deep is all you're getting out of Skyrim.
    Not a single line of engaging dialogue...Skyrim not even once made me laugh or cry or provoke emotional reaction of any kind. To put it bluntly: Skyrim is a game where you can get drunk with a God of Debauchery and STILL find yourself bored to death. Even Robots have more passion and creativity than people from Bethesda, when it comes to writing.
    Completely shallow rpg mechanics, dumbed down to the core, offering very little sense of character progression. Unbalanced and clumsy game play to the extreme, all basic combat mechanics are poor: hit reactions, animations, camera, combat sounds, AI, no dodge, no lock-on system. All crafting skills, spells, stealth: game breaking. Majority of perks are useless and nothing more than passives. Just spam your attacks like a brainless idiot ...that's the whole "strategy".
    Hillarious marriage "system"...embarassing to anyone who ever got laid, or even had any kind of contact with the opposite sex.
    Poor voice acting, small number of voice actors and except for a main theme song, completely uninspired sound track. Very basic sound design that even makes forests feel completely lifeless.
    Worst puzzle design of all time, practically designed to mock player's intelligence.
    Poor horse riding, absence of any good mini games.
    Freedom to do whatever you want!...Hah! More like play around in artificially level scaled Lego Box without a focused, engaging main storyline and filled with "quests" and "characters" completely disconnected from one another. Nothing you do ever has any kind of impact on ANYTHING.
    Ton of bugs, issues, crashes, glitches...Bethesda never lets you down.
    Comically bad user interface.
    No cinematics or cutscenes of any kind.
    Very limited interaction with the environment...only direction movement and jump/levitate when glitched...no climbing the ladders or jumping over ledges or anything similar.
    Very shallow "replayability"...how many lines did my Redguard have with other npc's regarding his background. Two. How many on my end? None.
    Only cosmetic and very minor gameplay changes that in the end affect "nothing".
    Freedom to be whovever you want! Hah!...No matter what skills you grind, your race is, who your "spouse" is, where your house is or whether you pick Imperials or Stormcloaks...everyone ends up in the end with the same generic MMO drone, that doesn't have even a single, discernable personality trait. Just like in the intro, where player has no dialogue options or shows any reaction even to the unfortunate situation that his HEAD is about to be CHOPPED OFF .
    In the end, I can say I played my share of good games, bad games, great games and anything in between. But there is no game that managed to leave the same impression such as Skyrim when finishing it after more than 150 hours...ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.
    And that's exactly the score I'm giving it.

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Jan 2, 2012
    This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]