6.5

1. Nov 29, 2011
    The game at its core could have been one of the best ever.... but the multitude of bugs, vary from simple NPC's glitching out, and behaving awkwardly, to not being able to complete quests and entire quest lines.... to having the game crash.. to having your save game wiped if you attempt to create a new character, and much more that I've yet to even encounter, but have read up on. TheseThe game at its core could have been one of the best ever.... but the multitude of bugs, vary from simple NPC's glitching out, and behaving awkwardly, to not being able to complete quests and entire quest lines.... to having the game crash.. to having your save game wiped if you attempt to create a new character, and much more that I've yet to even encounter, but have read up on. These add up to possibly one of the most horrid, unpolished big-budget game releases on a console in recent history. It's as if we, the customers, paid to be Bethesda's beta testers... because its obvious very little time was spent on the PS3 "port" prior to release.

And to top it all off, the more time you spend playing the game, the further you get, and the larger your save file grows... the choppier and less playable the game becomes. To the point where the game becomes an unplayable slideshow. The evidence is rampant online and in youtube videos, if you search it yourself ( "Skyrim PS3 lag / slowdown" ) go ahead look it up yourself.

If you own a PS3 copy and think you're safe from this game breaking slowdown and stuttering, wait till your save file gets over 7-8 megs, and you've invested a good 30 hours. The game devolves into a stuttering glitchy mess. If you own a PC that can handle the game, or an Xbox, get those versions instead.
  2. Dec 12, 2011
    No patches as of yet that fixes the lag and the framerate drops issues. Patch 1.3 was supposed to come out but it didn't and there's no update on when exactly come out. I seriously hope they're taking this seriously and dedicating themselves to make the PS3 version in a workable and playable point but for now, this game is extremely broken.
  3. Dec 5, 2011
    I love this game, I really do. You should always expect bugs with a game this size. However, the bugs here are absolutely game-breaking. Lag so bad, if your save reaches over 10mb, you probably won't be able to fight anything. Quest bugs that make finishing the game impossible. The game's big hype, dragons, will fly backwards and won't fight you. It could be GOTY, if they just took time toI love this game, I really do. You should always expect bugs with a game this size. However, the bugs here are absolutely game-breaking. Lag so bad, if your save reaches over 10mb, you probably won't be able to fight anything. Quest bugs that make finishing the game impossible. The game's big hype, dragons, will fly backwards and won't fight you. It could be GOTY, if they just took time to iron out the game breaking bugs before release. Expand
  4. Dec 6, 2011
    This is oen of the best games I've ever played, massive and diverse however this all falls apart. Play the game for 50 + and the games frame rate drops to single digits. This only affects PS3 versions unfortunately. :'( which is a shame because I'm not sure how well my PC would run it.
  5. Dec 5, 2011
    I will try to be fair here.

This game is a masterpiece that would deserve a full 10 score if not for all the game breaking bugs. Graphics: 10/10 (yes this game is gorgeous) Story 9/10 (reminds me a lot of the epic Norse poem called the Kalevala.) Controls: 8/10 (not perfect not horrible by any means either) Replayabilty: 10/10 (This game is very long sometimes a little overwhelming but
    I will try to be fair here.

Graphics: 10/10 (yes this game is gorgeous)
    Story 9/10 (reminds me a lot of the epic Norse poem called the Kalevala.)
    Controls: 8/10 (not perfect not horrible by any means either)
    Replayabilty: 10/10 (This game is very long sometimes a little overwhelming but considering most games these days are less than 12 hours long it is a welcome change of pace.)

So as you can see the game DOES deserve a 10/10 unfortunately as said above the lag and the game breaking glitches make the game lose 5 points easily.
  6. Nov 26, 2011
    I WANT MY MONEY BACK!. Got the collector edition for $200 and after 30 hours of playing I stopped because it is now unplayable!. Frame rate issues, long loading screens and controller buttons no responding properly. Loved the game but now I hate it! Is anyone else having the same issues?
  7. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the littleFire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  8. Feb 19, 2012
    My old review was a 9. This was before my save file reached the point where the lag occurred, and before the patch that fixed it. The lag glitch was terrible, and I would have dropped my score to yellow/red had I thought about it. However, that is all over. What is the current build of Skyrim is still fun, and still an Oblivion/Fallout crossover that finally works. However, for allMy old review was a 9. This was before my save file reached the point where the lag occurred, and before the patch that fixed it. The lag glitch was terrible, and I would have dropped my score to yellow/red had I thought about it. However, that is all over. What is the current build of Skyrim is still fun, and still an Oblivion/Fallout crossover that finally works. However, for all the fun it has, the main quest storyline is short, and combat is starting to get to the point where it seems to be jarring. When it came out, Skyrim sounded like an awesome game, but after time, and after exposing a lot of the repetitiveness, the glitches, and some serious combat balance issues, things aren't looking as awesome as it used to for Skyrim. For example, say I trained my Cooking, Alchemy, and Sneak skills up, that raises my overall level, and in turn, raises the levels of my enemies. That means, I may never be able to beat a number of enemies in the future without an extreme amount of luck or effort. Not good. Overall, Skyrim is a GOOD GAME. It just isn't the best game in the world. The PS3 version of this game (which I may add, this review applies to ONLY), is broken out of the box without patches. If you have no method of patching this game, realize that Skyrim is a broken game after about 6MB in your save file. Skyrim is worth your attention irregardless, however, for all the pomp that video game reviewers gave it, I want to say that some of it is quite bloated. Expand
  9. Jun 13, 2014
    Skyrim isn't a bad game, but it is, in my opinion, the most overrated game in the history of gaming w/o another game sniffing 2nd place. Sure, there's lots to do, but the ridiculous amount of bugs, glitches, frame rate drops, tearing & freezing leave me wanting to play anything this. People call this one of the best games ever made -- how? It's not even the best Elder Scrolls game ever made...
  10. Mar 6, 2012
    I would love to give Skyrim a 10, I really would. I wanted so badly for it to be a ten. I was actually planning on giving it a 13/10, and then having the bugs drag it back down to a 10/10, but I can't even do that. With over 110 hours in, I've had my fair share of fun, but can't really recommend this game to newcomers. Cons:
    The difficulty fluctuates wildly, so much so that I almost prefer
    The difficulty fluctuates wildly, so much so that I almost prefer Oblivion's leveling system. The framerate is all over the place. The load times are at least 3 times longer than Oblivion's. The game crashed 50ish times over the course of 100 hours. The graphics are pretty from a distance, but get ugly fast as you get close. Most disappointing is the physics and the game engine. It is essentially the same as Oblivion, which was dated even in 2006. Also, the melee combat is crap. Hitting someone in the foot does the same damage as hitting them in the head. The special moves are the same ones as in Oblivion. Pros:
    Magic is more fun to use, shouts are a blast(pun intended). Smithing weapons is incredibly addictive and fun.
    Warnings:
    Don't do the enchanting/fortify restoration/alchemy exploit on the PS3. It is fun, and works to a point, but whilst making a fortify enchanting 20000000% potion, my PS3 YLOD'ed. For reals. Most people would say "it was just a coincidence, games don't make your system crash, time does", this is **** Bethesda games are the only games my ps3 has ever crashed while playing. Oblivion, Fallout 3, Fallout New Vegas, all have had horrendous framerate issues and tons of crashes. While playing Skyrim, my PS3 fan has never been more erratic. **** coding says I. /end rant
  11. Jul 7, 2013
    Most overrated game of all, a lot of bugs, the pc version is great, the 360 good, and the ps3 version is like crap!
    -Big and imersive world
    -good graphics
    -A lot to do
    -Bugs, bugs everywere
    -no striking character
    -poor story
  12. Oct 27, 2013
    I like Skyrim, I really do. But for me Bethesda has failed in what could have been one of the great games of our time. I have put a lot of hours into Skyrim and best way to describe this game is “It’s a big as an ocean but contains less fish then a pond”. Such a massive environment but every dungeon is the same, every puzzle is too simple and pointless, every enemy is the same just looks aI like Skyrim, I really do. But for me Bethesda has failed in what could have been one of the great games of our time. I have put a lot of hours into Skyrim and best way to describe this game is “It’s a big as an ocean but contains less fish then a pond”. Such a massive environment but every dungeon is the same, every puzzle is too simple and pointless, every enemy is the same just looks a bit different, every NPC sounds the same 80% percent of NPCs have an American accent, no offence but British accents would have made much more sense. Food is pointless, alchemy is pathetic unless it’s maxed and even then it’s a kind of pointless cause by the time you’re that high a level you’ll be picking up Ultimate Health and Regeneration Potions, I guess in saying that blacksmithing is pointless too, there’s no need to make ebony or glass weapons and amours cause you’re just bound to pick it up from a chest. Skyrim’s a country set in another world yet contains Mammoths, wolfs, sabre-tooths, bears, foxes, spiders, rabbits, deer’s, fish and crabs which all can be found on Earth (Mammoths, sabre-tooths are extinct), beside the trolls there’s no unreal animal which I find really stupid. The only spells that are useful are destruction or restoration ones, I guess conjuration can be useful at times but Illusion and Alteration just piss me of. Why would I use a spell the makes enemies flee only to comeback 15 seconds later to attack me, I guess I could chase them but in doing so I’ll just run into more enemies then I’ll be out numbered. Or I could make an enemy “Calm” but as soon as I decide you kill him he’ll attack me right back. Alteration spells like candle or mage light does nothing as the game is always well lit. Even shouts are pointless, use a powerful shout and wait two minutes before you can use another one, in the meantime just run around and hope you don’t get killed. Gold is as well, the only things I did with my gold was to buy a house and to pay of my bounties. I never spent a cent on that I knew I’ll just find later. But the biggest fault about this game is the entire story. Don’t get me started on that. Expand
  13. Oct 24, 2014
    Back at launch i had interest in this game for its atmosphere, but i delayed it due to some of the problems of the PS3 version. So i recently bought the Legendary Edition on PS3 and gave it a try. I needed to came here to do my personal and fast review because 3 years have passed since launch and guess what: most of the technical problems are still there. I am ~30h into the game and thereBack at launch i had interest in this game for its atmosphere, but i delayed it due to some of the problems of the PS3 version. So i recently bought the Legendary Edition on PS3 and gave it a try. I needed to came here to do my personal and fast review because 3 years have passed since launch and guess what: most of the technical problems are still there. I am ~30h into the game and there are so many technical problems that make me unsure if i want to continue this mess.
    First thing: the game. The atmosphere of the game itself it is what makes this game unique and is what can keep us playing despite the technical/performance problems: Ice Age+Viking atmosphere. The concept is a 1st/3rd person generic openworld WRPG with lots of freedom, with a nice overall upgrade character system. There are giants, mammoths, saber-tooth tigers, etc, etc, etc, DRAGONS, many character races, lots of quests, lots of caverns, lots dungeons, many distinct cities, etc, etc, etc, lots weapon/items upgrades/creation, nice skill trees, lots of skills/magics/summons, etc, etc, etc. I personally think the level up system and skill trees/perks/skills is a huge change from last games. It is a super plain and simple system and it is the best i have seen in ages in a game of this genre. If you like lots of freedom in a game, a nice level up system, this kind of atmosphere, many quests, DRAGONS, this game is for you.
    Second thing: technical execution (of the PS3 version). For the ones who want still give it a try, at least in this version, you can count on frame rate issues, some breaks, some freezes, game late response to the gamepad, random dead dragons in the world and you can do nothing to them, random items bouncing like crazy on tables, floor, water, etc. So far even some quests had bugs like you can't talk to people you should to to progress the mission... I also had to turn off all of the autosaves because the game froze 6 times in 20 minutes of gameplay, and that was the way to stop that.
    Another note: when you start the game for the very first time, the first autosave is bugged. It won't let you save the game any further and the autosave system will not work. You must ignore that and start the game again with another save file without deleting that very first autosave.
    Come on... Was this game finished/optimized ready to launch on consoles?

Pros: incredible atmosphere, the freedom, many cities, many dungeons, many caverns... and... DRAGONS!
    Cons: technical side of the game. This is a complete mess of optimization of this version. What a shame.
    Another cons is that some of the caverns seems to be a copy of each other, with different paths... And there could be more enemy variation, but its fine as it is in these two aspects.

If i could play the game normally on my PS3 i would gave it a 10/10. So i take 3 points due to the technical mess that is this version.

What i can conclude once more, now after the launch of The Evil Within, is that in Bethesda there are extremely good guys in the design/artwork side of the company but they have poor guys in technical/optimization side.
    If you want to play Skyrim go to the PC version at least to avoid the major visual/performance problems.

I am now glad that in most official reviews of the new games the reviewers add some criticism to the technical side of the game so people can count on what to really expect from a game.
  14. May 2, 2012
    Skyrim should have gotten a 9 or a 10 from me. I'm STILL playing it right now. However, the PS3 version was unacceptably flawed at release. It's making me reconsider ever pre-ordering from Bethesda again, which is a shame because now that the bugs are fixed, Skyrim is probably the best RPG I have every played.
  15. Feb 8, 2012
    This game can become very boring very quickly and in a very unspectacular way, if I were to sum it up in one word (no it would not be dragons but) grinding. I looked at my quest list because I didn't like the one I was on and they all involved going into a cave and getting something stupid like someones sword. Depite bethesda saying each dungeon was different and hand crafted there allThis game can become very boring very quickly and in a very unspectacular way, if I were to sum it up in one word (no it would not be dragons but) grinding. I looked at my quest list because I didn't like the one I was on and they all involved going into a cave and getting something stupid like someones sword. Depite bethesda saying each dungeon was different and hand crafted there all overly similar and long, sometimes and hour long (true story). The combat feels very floaty and if it weren't for the blood and health bar I would be convinced I wasn't doing anything. But those are the two biggest problems I can think of. Oh wait I just remembered the graphics, which look fine close up and far away look terrible mid distance you can see the repetitive layer square of mud repeat itself with over and over. apart from those three thing it's just little things like every shop keeper saying the same thing and a few glitches. I'm not going to mention frame rate (even though I have the disease) because unlike most reviewers I'm aware it doesn't effect everyone and they're supposed to be working on a patch. In fact the problems happen around 40 hours in which is conveniently the time you get completly bored of it and cringe at the thought of spending another ten minutes there. The best thing about the game doesn't even require you to buy the game but instead listen to people experiences which is what made me want it so much (turns out they were over exagerating). I like the thought of this game but after playing it you'll be questioning how over hyped this game was. It might just be me because the only RPG games I have played before were mass effect 2 and deus ex but try stealing it of a friend for the weekend, they'll probably be more then happy to not have to think about it. Expand
  16. Jul 20, 2012
    meh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it. This hasmeh, this wasn't a bad game, but the D A M N LOAD SCREENS took all the fun out of it. Seriously, when I'm exploring the vast lands of skyrim, I don't want to wait 30 seconds to 1 minute to enter a building....plus all the framerate and graphic glitches kept me from rating it higher. All this contributed to me getting bored of the game after a week and a half or so of playing it. This has since been fixed in various patches but I don't like the mentality of newer game devs "hey lets just release an unfinished product and make a patch for it later if they notice". It's just downright lazy. Expand
  17. Dec 29, 2011
    I bought this game because I wanted to try something different and move away from shooters for a while and move on to a RPG title and I'm slightly disappointed with what it delivers I get it that you can pick up things it a huge open world and theres dragons which fly about and a million characters to speak to but behind all of that is a very ugly game and plays like a drunk fat man itsI bought this game because I wanted to try something different and move away from shooters for a while and move on to a RPG title and I'm slightly disappointed with what it delivers I get it that you can pick up things it a huge open world and theres dragons which fly about and a million characters to speak to but behind all of that is a very ugly game and plays like a drunk fat man its very glitchy and very clunky. this game did not deserve game of the year it was all a bit over hyped and bethesda needs to rethink their strategy. But if you enjoy this game keep playing because it does appeal to players more than others. Expand
  18. Feb 17, 2013
    It's so ridiculous that this game could possibly receive any high scores on the ps3 version. The game could be the best game ever invented but what good does that do you when bugs prevent you from even playing the game as intended? This game loses at least 3 points on the numerous bugs/freezes/lag problems preventing you from playing the game in the first place alone. I can not possiblyIt's so ridiculous that this game could possibly receive any high scores on the ps3 version. The game could be the best game ever invented but what good does that do you when bugs prevent you from even playing the game as intended? This game loses at least 3 points on the numerous bugs/freezes/lag problems preventing you from playing the game in the first place alone. I can not possibly rate the game higher than a 7 on that. Just so you know, I am not a TES fanboy so I can give you a more objective view on what you old bitter vets just need to face the reality on....I'm just going to say what you guys won't admit....combat in Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim is still the same awkward, clunky, piece of garbage and needs to be completely scratched imo. Yes the exploration in this game is absolutely AMAZING!! I give this a game 5 points just for the vast beautiful world you get to explore. Immersion is definitely one of the main strong suits for this game. I really feel like I'm a part of this world. But again, the combat system ruins the game even though the bugs/gliches/freezes do a good job of that to begin with. I know all the bitter vets will turn their noses up and cry like little babies but can you imagine a combat system similar to a Kingdoms of Amalur but in the world of TES?! I would go ahead and throw all my money at Bethesda right now lol Just quit giving us unfinished work! I put over 100 hours into this game, but let's be honest, at LEAST 50 hours of that was in menus changing spells/weapons/potions etc or looking at the map, or the worst....on a loading screen...
    This game gets the rating it gets because the immersion and exploration are worth buying the game for alone. I would just recommend playing an archer only so the combat won't feel so awkward.
  19. Sep 28, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Meta Critic Review for The Elders scrolls of Skyrim:

The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Scrolls V: Skyrim (Mostly called Skyrim) is an action/role playing open world video game developed by Bethesda Game Studios and published by Bethesda Softworks. It is the fifth installment in The Elder Scrolls action role-playing video game series, following The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion. Skyrim was released on November 11, 2011 for Microsoft Windows, PS3 and Xbox 360. Skyrim's main story revolves around the player character's efforts to defeat Alduin, the firstborn of Tamriel's primary deity Akatosh. Alduin is prophesied to destroy the world. Set two hundred years after Oblivion, the game takes place in the fictional province of Skyrim, upon the continent of Tamriel, and the planet of Nirn. Skyrim is in the midst of a civil war after the High King fell in a duel against the leader of the Stormcloaks rebel group. The open world game play of the Elder Scrolls series returns in Skyrim; the player can explore the land at will and ignore or postpone the main quest indefinitely.
    The nonlinear game play traditional in the Elder Scrolls series is incorporated in Skyrim. The player can explore the open world of Skyrim on foot or on horse and fast-travel to cities, towns, and dungeons after they have been discovered. Quests are given to the player by non-player characters (NPCs) in the world, and through the Radiant Story system, the quests can be dynamically altered to accommodate for player actions which may influence the quest's characters and objectives. The Radiant Story then further directs the player's interaction with the world by setting unexplored dungeons as quest locations. When not completing quests, the player can interact with NPCs through conversation, and they may request favors or training in skills from the player. In addition to scripted quests certain ones will be dynamically generated, providing a limitless number to the player. Some NPCs can become companions to the player to aid in combat. The player may choose to join factions, which are organized groups of NPCs such as the Dark Brotherhood, a band of assassins. Each of the factions has a headquarters, and they have their own quest paths which the player can progress through. The economy of cities and towns can be stimulated by completing jobs such as Skyrim on the Elder Scrolls map farming and mining, or spending large amounts of gold in the stores. Alternatively, the economy may be harmed by forging business ledgers and robbing the safes of stores. When exploring the game world, the player may encounter wildlife. Many wilderness monsters are immediately hostile towards the player and thus can be slain. The inclusion of Dragons in Skyrim affords a major influence on both story and game play.

So the next game in the series was released nearly a year ago, so where does it stand in the ratings currently, well in my opinion it should stay at 75/100 just for PS3. Yes Bethesda has managed to fix most of its bugs but where is the DLC for it? Dawnguard has been on X-box and pc for more than 4 months now and all Bethesda can say is
  20. Dec 6, 2011
    I really, really wish I could give this game a better score than this. I wanted Skyrim to be one of the best games I've ever played. I even wanted it to give me a better experience than Oblivion, but I simply cannot bring myself to say so. Sure, Skyrim has all the potential to be an amazing game, there's an expansive world with hundreds of quests and hours upon hours of gameplay. There's aI really, really wish I could give this game a better score than this. I wanted Skyrim to be one of the best games I've ever played. I even wanted it to give me a better experience than Oblivion, but I simply cannot bring myself to say so. Sure, Skyrim has all the potential to be an amazing game, there's an expansive world with hundreds of quests and hours upon hours of gameplay. There's a fantastic skill system that changes based upon your playstyle. There's even a magnificent sense of wonder and excitement exploring the world itself. I want to love this game for all of these an more, but there's just one issue; this is a half-finished game on the PS3. Bethesda really, really dropped the ball on this one. While Skyrim is an ambitious, detailed world with hours of fun packed inside, what use is all of the content when I am screwed out of said enjoyment by a horrendous framerate and numerous, numerous bugs and glitches. I bought this game on midnight release, and for the first 20 hours of gameplay I was just spellbound by the numerous activities and decisions made available to me. This was to be my Game of the Year...until the framerate began to shudder at every turn. "Okay, maybe it's just from playing too much today." I would say, and shut off my system to come back the next day. And sure, the game would run fine for about three hours...and then the framerate would take another dump.
    From there it only progressively got worse as my save file increased from 5 Mb, to 6, to 7...as of now it's reached a massive 12 Mb in size and I can only go about an hour before the framerate chugs along from merely walking to the next town. It's inexcusable, and highly unprofessional that Bethesda gave absolutely no effort in programming Skyrim properly for the PS3 hardware. Sure, they released another patch to deal with the "occasional framerate issues," but all it did was postpone the lag for another hour before it would set in once more, forcing a reset of my system. Apart from the lag, now even more issues such as unfinishable quests and backwards-flying dragons have plagued the game, forcing me to abandon my 90+ hour playthrough altogether. If my story hasn't already given you a good idea of what can be expected of the PS3 Skyrim experience, then you are truly delusional. What Bethesda has done is treated the PS3 fanbase as second-class citizens, and have dodged the real core of the issue altogether by downplaying such a severe issue as "occasional" or only experienced by the "minority of players". This is wholly unprofessional, and proof therefore of a company that really doesn't appear to care about its fanbase at all.
    I really have enjoyed my time with Skyrim, and I truly want to love this game and recommend it to every single one of my friends, but with all of the glitches and bugs found on the PS3 version, I simply cannot recommend the purchase of this game until the issues are fixed (if ever).
  21. Dec 5, 2011
    Skyrim is a wonderful game that was marred by the fact that it has a major gamebreaking bug that was not fixed for 3 games in the row, previous two being the Fallout games. This bug was glossed over by both Bethesda and the media due to review copies mainly consisting of 360 and PC copies, therefore garnering no attention from either side. Buying this game on PS3 is essentially buying aSkyrim is a wonderful game that was marred by the fact that it has a major gamebreaking bug that was not fixed for 3 games in the row, previous two being the Fallout games. This bug was glossed over by both Bethesda and the media due to review copies mainly consisting of 360 and PC copies, therefore garnering no attention from either side. Buying this game on PS3 is essentially buying a timebomb waiting to explode. It's a shame that this bug exists, because this game would've been fantastic and worth the hype for PS3 owners. Instead it's just a blackmark in its library, as well as the media's lack of coverage and Bethesda. Expand
  22. Dec 7, 2011
    While I have not experienced the lag yet I have encountered numerous quest bugs that have left me wondering how this game made it past beta. I do not recommend purchasing this game for the Playstation 3.
  23. Dec 5, 2011
    lovely, expansive, unfortunately broken. its all about the quests, but so many of them are impossible to complete due to 'technical issues' that cannot be fixed by the user on the PS3 - get it on the PC if you have that option, access to the console commands or user made Mods are essential to play it.
  24. Dec 6, 2011
    I have personally enjoyed this game, that is until recently. When I heard all of the horrific stories of frame-rates and complete crashes, I thought, wow, these people are being hypercritical. Upon playing the game more, I have started to slowly experience these game breaking problems. I think that Bethesda has made a wonderful game and I cant wait to really delve into the world of Skyrim,I have personally enjoyed this game, that is until recently. When I heard all of the horrific stories of frame-rates and complete crashes, I thought, wow, these people are being hypercritical. Upon playing the game more, I have started to slowly experience these game breaking problems. I think that Bethesda has made a wonderful game and I cant wait to really delve into the world of Skyrim, but alas until a proper fix is in place, that will have to wait. On the brighter side of things, what I did experience were great visuals and breathtaking landscapes. There doesn't seem to be much variety in the enemy category, however, the fighting and magic skills seem tight and responsive. There isn't a vast depth to the crafting system or the marriage system for that matter which will disappoint in the end. Overall, there is a great game waiting to be played, however long it takes to have it properly fixed. If you have not purchased the game as of yet, wait for a while and pay attention to forums and blogs to stay informed of future fixes. Expand
  25. Dec 13, 2011
    I'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Skyrim is a decent enough game- it has a big open world thats fun to explore, lots of sidequests, etc. You've got to deal with some flawed mechanics, such as horrid combat and ugly NPC behavior, but thats nothing new for Bethesda. The story is decent, but it's got nothing on a good RPG like Final Fantasy. No, what sucks here is the sheer glitchinessI'm sorry, but this is just pathetic. Skyrim is a decent enough game- it has a big open world thats fun to explore, lots of sidequests, etc. You've got to deal with some flawed mechanics, such as horrid combat and ugly NPC behavior, but thats nothing new for Bethesda. The story is decent, but it's got nothing on a good RPG like Final Fantasy. No, what sucks here is the sheer glitchiness of the experience. The fact this this game got 10s from major review companies simply boggles my mind. There's no way that a game this buggy could be considered a perfect experience, it's not even a finished product. Even worse, the PS3 version completely breaks after a certain amount of time. I honestly have no idea how Bethesda gets away with this crap. Save your money, buy a finished game. Expand
  26. Jan 15, 2012
    Game is out 3 months and Bethesda didn't fix anything about ps3 version. Really big dissapointment from this studio. About game : game is very enjoyable ( even though difficulty level even on Master isn't much of a challenge). Huge number of quests and tasks, fantastic, big world to discover, on the other side we have dragons, which should be big challenge, but after few level-up's mamuthsGame is out 3 months and Bethesda didn't fix anything about ps3 version. Really big dissapointment from this studio. About game : game is very enjoyable ( even though difficulty level even on Master isn't much of a challenge). Huge number of quests and tasks, fantastic, big world to discover, on the other side we have dragons, which should be big challenge, but after few level-up's mamuths and giants are harder to kill than dragon, literally you could play with your nose and kill dragon, and of course main plot quests are very simple, it was a huge dissapointment for because I made all quests I could and then went main plot, and the final fight is a piece of cake, not challenging at all, and you can get for it gold trophy wtf? is this a cruel joke? For me game was put out too fast, Bethesda should made few weeks of inside beta-tests, instead of that theyput out game, and like I said at the beginning THEY DIDNT FIXED any single bug in ps3 version, and believe me there is a lot of this. Score would've been 9/10 but 6/10 is a adequate score for this number of bugs, that make you only blood pressure higher, just like long loadings. Expand
  27. Mar 11, 2012
    I think enough has been written about the bugs and glitches. I you still arn't aware of the controversy then just have a quick scan through the many comments before mine. The thing is, aside from a little bit of slowdown i havn't actually experienced any gamebreaking problems of that kind. Plus, in many ways this is exactly the game i hoped it would be - Massive and beautiful open worldI think enough has been written about the bugs and glitches. I you still arn't aware of the controversy then just have a quick scan through the many comments before mine. The thing is, aside from a little bit of slowdown i havn't actually experienced any gamebreaking problems of that kind. Plus, in many ways this is exactly the game i hoped it would be - Massive and beautiful open world with incredible freedom of choice to go anywhere, do anything and be anyone you want to be. So why only a 7? Well the problem is when you start to realise that the actual quests arn't that interesting or memorable. Most are just basic fetch quests eg go to a cave to retrive an item and it all just starts to lack imagination and surprise after the first 20 hours or so. That great feeling of dicovery and exploration which was a big part of Fallout 3s charm and should have been central to Skyrims success (especially considering it's made by the same people) is lost. So you see, even without the bugs Skyrim is a still one of this generations biggest let downs. Expand
  28. Feb 12, 2012
    This game is dull. There I said it! I walked away from this game and have yet to put it back in after I played for several days. I put it down to play some Bioshock and Demon's Souls and haven't picked it back up in almost a month. I will comend Bethesda for making such a huge open world for me to explore but that's all they did. The made a huge world with a bunch of things to do, butThis game is dull. There I said it! I walked away from this game and have yet to put it back in after I played for several days. I put it down to play some Bioshock and Demon's Souls and haven't picked it back up in almost a month. I will comend Bethesda for making such a huge open world for me to explore but that's all they did. The made a huge world with a bunch of things to do, but none of them have anything outstanding to offer. Its and issue of quality over quantity, and this game is defenately going for quantity. Sidequests are so numerous that it is hard for me to care about any one of them, because I just wanted the reward. Even the overall story is bogged down by a lack of immediacy. I didn't give a $#!+ about the story, I was too busy doing missions for the Companions Guild (Which for the record is the only set of events that I cared for). Switching gears for a second I will the say that the scenery is great eye-candy... if you're far away. Up close a lot of the rock textures look pretty lazy and remind me of an old PS2 game. It can be forgiven because of how big this game is, but it still needs to be said. Then there's the combat. Sweet Jesus, what is this crap! There is no skill when talking about the combat in this game, (Unless your using arrows, but even then that's pushing it) everything is stat based. All you do is swing your sword around like a moron until your enemy's dead. No dodge mechanics, a block that only works if your stats are high enough, and enemies that take 25 swings to kill when they can kill you in 3 hits. There were multiple occasions in which the I had exploit the enemy's A.I. to win, and that's never fun. What is fun though are the dragons, though repeditive, are loads more fun to kill than some of the other enemies. I love the enchantment, blackmithing, and alchemy systems in the game and make me feel like I'm actually making progress and getting better at something as opposed to just swinging my sword like a moron. I also love the dungeon crawling aspect and looking for new caves and mines to steel various articles of clothing off of the recently deceased. Ultimately, would I recomend this game? Yes. Is it a good game? Yes. Is it one of the greatest games of all time? No. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to play more Bioshock. Expand
  29. Feb 19, 2012
    My advice: get this game, but not for this platform. The latest patch (1.4xx) appears to solve the game-breaking lag (we're talking slide-show lag here), but the graphics now seem to get choppy more frequently and randomly. Thus the game is choppy on the PS3, and I'm assuming the graphics in general are better on the other platforms because they really are nothing to write home about onMy advice: get this game, but not for this platform. The latest patch (1.4xx) appears to solve the game-breaking lag (we're talking slide-show lag here), but the graphics now seem to get choppy more frequently and randomly. Thus the game is choppy on the PS3, and I'm assuming the graphics in general are better on the other platforms because they really are nothing to write home about on PS3. In comparison to Oblivion the game is dumbed-down a bit, but once you start playing that is quickly forgotten. The various crafting skills are fun and the difficulty scales much better than Oblivion. The world is huge and dungeon diving is a joy. So pick up a used 360 or upgrade your PC and buy this; use your PS3 for games that are more compatible. I'm angry at Bethesda for releasing what they must have known was a deeply flawed game for this platform; I can only hope that there is a real fix down the line but am not holding my breath. 6 out of 10 for an undeniably good game with undeniable bugs and performance issues on this platform. Expand
  30. Dec 20, 2012
    What an awesome game. Too bad it breaks my heart to give it a bad score like this, but with the crappy frame rates and the inability of Bethesda to release DLC's for this platform while signing a drug deal with the XBox 360 to get them first leaves a bad taste as a PS3 owner.

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Jan 2, 2012
    This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]