6.5

1. Dec 5, 2011
    I stopped by GameStop and asked if the game is fixed on ps3 since it was the only platform I have, and the GameStop guy told me he did not run into lag issue YET after the patch, so, I thought bugthesda had fixed it and dropped $60 bucks on this game. I spent three days playing only and guess what....I cannot play anymore after about 30 hrs invested in. I am a sad puppy now, and justI stopped by GameStop and asked if the game is fixed on ps3 since it was the only platform I have, and the GameStop guy told me he did not run into lag issue YET after the patch, so, I thought bugthesda had fixed it and dropped $60 bucks on this game. I spent three days playing only and guess what....I cannot play anymore after about 30 hrs invested in. I am a sad puppy now, and just wish people don't have to go through this experience hence the 0 score. I WILL try to get a refund from bethesda, if I can't get it, I am not going to support this company's game in the future. Learn from blizzard, or other games. Expand
  2. Dec 6, 2011
    Do not buy this game. It's appears to be a great game, but it is broken and before you get near the end of the game it is lagging very badly. Bethseda have provided little support or answers or indication that they will fix it. If fixed, would be a great game. But in it's current form, you'd be better off not buying it and ending up frustrated as I have.
  3. Dec 6, 2011
    Don't let the MetaCritic's "critics" fool you into buying this game !!! It does not deserve a 93 score !!!
    There are huge technical/programming problems that disable this game for many PS3 owners. Bethesda withheld the PS3 reviewer copies, to delay the truth until they could sell as many of the broken games as they could. I feel MetaCritic is ignoring the horrible technical issue in their score. If the PS3 version did not have these lethal software problems, it would easily deserve the 93 score. The patches have been ineffective and Bethesda does not appear to be forthcoming with real solutions, or to be willing to take responsibility for the consumer deception that has occurred. It could have been an awesome gaming experience if Bethesda had done their jobs well.
  4. Dec 8, 2011
    To start with I have played over 100 hours of this game. It is fun, creative, and ambitious. Unfortunately this game is broken on the PS3. There are serious lag problems with large save files, which Bethesda has no idea of how to fix. The game crashes at multiple points, it has become less about exploring the world and more about walking a mine field trying not to crash it. This gameTo start with I have played over 100 hours of this game. It is fun, creative, and ambitious. Unfortunately this game is broken on the PS3. There are serious lag problems with large save files, which Bethesda has no idea of how to fix. The game crashes at multiple points, it has become less about exploring the world and more about walking a mine field trying not to crash it. This game should never have been released, in this state. Bethesda has completely lost all of my confidence for releasing this game as is. I refuse to believe that their QA dept missed these bugs, they are to easy to reproduce. So that means Bethesda knowingly released a broken game. I am torn in two about this game, its an enjoyable ride, but once you get deep into it, it loses all the fun. Expand
  5. Dec 6, 2011
    Products are not meant to be sold with the intention of 'making it better in the long run'. Either a game is suitable for public use, or it needs more time in development and testing. The video games industry is the only place in the world where a product can be sold incomplete or faulty, with the caveat 'it's ok, we'll patch it'. For a while now, people have accepted this to be the case,Products are not meant to be sold with the intention of 'making it better in the long run'. Either a game is suitable for public use, or it needs more time in development and testing. The video games industry is the only place in the world where a product can be sold incomplete or faulty, with the caveat 'it's ok, we'll patch it'. For a while now, people have accepted this to be the case, minor errors can be amended and tightened, that's fine. Skyrim, for me, and it would seem a massive percentage (and let's say it's just 30%, although I believe it to be higher, but that is still unacceptable) gets to a point where it is near unplayable, or completely so. My copy is currently sat on the floor in a box following a rage quit, and I'll not be playing it again until it is fixed.

Were the game to run perfectly, it would almost certainly be a 10 (from my early experiences, and my Fallout style occasional glitching early on). It doesn't run perfectly. It doesn't actually run. If I were to sell someone a blank blu-ray and tell them it's the greatest game ever, but they can't play it until I've patched it, it would warrant a score of zero and no more. Skyrim for me is completely unplayable, and for that reason, I am giving it a zero.
  6. Dec 9, 2011
    This game will become unplayable after your save game file reaches around 6 MB, and they refuse to properly address the problem. It's broken and will be sustain being broken. Don't buy it.Skyrim could be great but lag and freezs killed it...
  7. Feb 10, 2012
    I have changed my review of this game from a 3 to an 8 because the majority of the game seems to be working correctly now. I no longer see frame rate drops that make the game unplayable. Also a lot of the quest bugs have been fixed. There is still some glitches, but overall most of the major problems have been fixed. This game is an amazing game full of hundreds of hours of open worldI have changed my review of this game from a 3 to an 8 because the majority of the game seems to be working correctly now. I no longer see frame rate drops that make the game unplayable. Also a lot of the quest bugs have been fixed. There is still some glitches, but overall most of the major problems have been fixed. This game is an amazing game full of hundreds of hours of open world fun. If the new patch really fixed the frame rate drops for as long as everyone wants to play the game, whether its 2 hours at a time or 10 I believe everyone who likes massive open world games should buy this. Expand
  8. Dec 11, 2011
    I'm not that far into the game, maybe 12 hours or so. The only problem I have had so far is the game freezing quite a bit on me. I don't doubt the problems others are having with the ps3 version, as I have that version too. I'm not playing the game anymore until I know that the majority of the problems are fixed since my game kept freezing and causing me to do a hard reset. If theseI'm not that far into the game, maybe 12 hours or so. The only problem I have had so far is the game freezing quite a bit on me. I don't doubt the problems others are having with the ps3 version, as I have that version too. I'm not playing the game anymore until I know that the majority of the problems are fixed since my game kept freezing and causing me to do a hard reset. If these problems are not rectified, I will no longer support this company with my money. Expand
  9. Dec 5, 2011
    Giving it a ZERO (to off set the 10s so it drops to an average 5 ) as it breaks after your save file passes 5mb size barrier. Frame drops to ZERO at times. Not being able to use the autosave feature with fear of total PS3 lockup and possible hard drive data corrupts and save file corruptions. This game is an EPIC failure on Bethesda's part. They say it has new graphic engine, more like oldGiving it a ZERO (to off set the 10s so it drops to an average 5 ) as it breaks after your save file passes 5mb size barrier. Frame drops to ZERO at times. Not being able to use the autosave feature with fear of total PS3 lockup and possible hard drive data corrupts and save file corruptions. This game is an EPIC failure on Bethesda's part. They say it has new graphic engine, more like old engine upgraded. Telling us this is a huge open world game is not excuse. They should have waited to release it when they figured out how to correct the LAG issue on the PS3. Now with a save file hitting 9mb the lag/frame rate issue is getting annoying and almost get sea sick watching the screen. When the 1st patch comes out 1 week after release to address performance issues on the PS3 they already knew it was no good. That was most likely the reason none of the reviewers got advanced copies of the PS3 version and only PC/Xbox as they have access to larger memory pool so issues do not show up as quickly. Bethesda did not expect to see gamers hitting the limits this early. From this past weeks announcement

"After the holidays, weâ
  10. Dec 5, 2011
    Skyrim has been getting nominations for game of the year, I think this could be true on the pc and xbox 360, but it definitely cannot be true for the ps3. The game has a lot going for it: an absolutely huge world that is populated by a ton of npcs with the ability to do almost anything, a huge number of quests, nice graphics, and the ability to customize your character in so manySkyrim has been getting nominations for game of the year, I think this could be true on the pc and xbox 360, but it definitely cannot be true for the ps3. The game has a lot going for it: an absolutely huge world that is populated by a ton of npcs with the ability to do almost anything, a huge number of quests, nice graphics, and the ability to customize your character in so many different ways. However, the poor implementation of the game on the ps3 really hurts its enjoyment. During the first week of play, the game froze my ps3 7 times, sometimes to the point where even the power button was unresponsive and I had to unplug the power cord to get the ps3 to reset. I don't recall any of my other games ever causing the ps3 to freeze. In addition, for a game that is meant to be played a long time (100+ hours if you are thorough), it has an absolutely debilitating feature - more and more framerate drops the longer you play. It gets bad to the point of getting 2-5 frames per second. Patch 1.2 was supposed to fix this according to Bethesda, and after downloading it, the game ran silky smooth again in sharp contrast to the frequent stuttering I was playing with before. However, after 2-3 hours of play, the framerate drops began again. The solution is supposed to be to quit and restart the game! What kind of video game is designed that you have to quit and restart the game every 2 hours?! And Bethesda seems to have known about this absolutely horrendous fault with Skyrim before releasing it. I've read on video game sites like IGN.com that Bethesda sent them xbox 360 and pc versions of the game for review, but would require the magazine to purchase the ps3 version if they wanted to play it. Considering the number of people who have experienced this problem (75% according to a poll on ign.com), it would be absolutely ridiculous to believe that Bethesda didn't know about this problem before releasing it for purchase on the ps3.

The other annoying feature is the very long load times. Everytime you enter another area or fast travel to another location, you have to sit through a long load screen. For example, if I want to sell the loot I've collected in a dungeon, I travel to one of the cities and visit the smith, the general goods store, and the alchemy store to sell the different items. This is the sequence of events: 1) fast travel to a large city (wait through long load screen), 2) enter the smith shop (wait through long load screen), 3) sell loot, 4) exit the smith shop (wait through long load screen), 5) enter the general goods store (wait through long load screen), 6) sell loot, 7) exit the general goods store (wait through long load screen), 8) enter the alchemy shop (wait through long load screen), 9) sell loot, 10) exit the alchemy shop (wait through long load screen), 11) fast travel to my destination (wait through long load screen). It has gotten to the point where I no longer pick up loot when I go through dungeons just to avoid having to go to shops to avoid waiting through long load screens. I can understand a long load screen when entering a city because of the size of the area, all the different buildings, and all the different npcs walking around it, but why the heck does it take so long when I enter a small single-room cabin?

I really enjoyed playing Oblivion and Fallout 3 on the pc. Both games ran great. I wasn't expecting this mess playing Skyrim on the ps3. It sounds like Skyrim has its problems on the xbox 360 and the pc, but they seem to be much more minor compared to the ps3. I think if you have a very good pc, the best experience will probably be on that platform. Avoid getting Skyrim for the ps3. Final score 3/10.
  11. Dec 6, 2011
    I really hate giving this game such a bad score. It certainly has many good aspects but the lagging, freezing and certain quest glitches cause major headaches. At first everything ran smoothly but over time the game started to have minor moments of slowdown and infrequent freezes. Unfortunately those minor issues became much bigger and more frequent the longer I played. I had theI really hate giving this game such a bad score. It certainly has many good aspects but the lagging, freezing and certain quest glitches cause major headaches. At first everything ran smoothly but over time the game started to have minor moments of slowdown and infrequent freezes. Unfortunately those minor issues became much bigger and more frequent the longer I played. I had the exact same issue with Fallout 3 GOTY. It started out great, but many hours later I was freezing every 5 minutes. I also have Skyrim on the xbox as well. While it also has some problems,especially glitched quests, it runs much better than the ps3 version.

I find it hard to believe Bethesda was not aware of the many problems on the ps3 before release. Either they didn't test the game properly, or they knew and just didn't care. It is a bummer because this is one of my favorite games when it decides to work. The only reason I give this game a 1 instead of a 0 is the amazing music. Jeremy Soule did a wonderful job and deserves praise. That is about the only thing I can praise until Bethesda fixes the many problems.
  12. Dec 6, 2011
    Out of all the ps3 games I have ever owned this has giving me the most anger, to which I feel the only score that can be represents it is 0.......how can the multiple other games that are released on the ps3 platform work so flawless (yes I know its a big open world) but surly this should have been tested before release and be found all the game breaking bugs (my ps3 has frozen up on moreOut of all the ps3 games I have ever owned this has giving me the most anger, to which I feel the only score that can be represents it is 0.......how can the multiple other games that are released on the ps3 platform work so flawless (yes I know its a big open world) but surly this should have been tested before release and be found all the game breaking bugs (my ps3 has frozen up on more than 10 occasion's in the past 2 weeks) the quest's are bugged that the user could get so far into the game and not progress any further...the framrate drop (from what it began very smooth) to a jerky mess...excuse the next paragraph but caps lock is needed...ahem HOW CAN A PUBLISHER/DEVELOPER RELEASE WHAT IS CLEARLY A *&^&^%$$ PIECE OF %^$$£@$ IS THEIR NOT TESTER'S FOR THIS???? HOW DO SO MANY GAME SITES AND MAGAZINES GIVE SO HIGH SCORES????WHO IS PAYING WHO HERE????.....deep breath.......Their is no denying that the game (when it works) is great but to give it anything higher than a 0 would be misleading to give something that is broken anything higher....which this game is clearly....now i must go and chase that backward flying dragon ffs grrrrrrrrrr Expand
  13. Dec 6, 2011
    DO NOT BUY THIS game.This game is just full of bugs.You cannot complete quests because there bugged.The framerate after your save file gets large makes the game unplayable.Yet another bugged released game by bugthesda.I got this one ps3 and would recommend that no one else buys this game.
  14. Dec 7, 2011
    This game is brilliant. The design, the atmosphere... It's amazing. Easily one of the best games this generation. But it seems that I bought it on the wrong system. I can understand a couple day one hiccups, but seriously Bethesda? This is ridiculous. I have had to restart the game twice now simply because a game breaking bug would happen during the main quest line, rendering completion ofThis game is brilliant. The design, the atmosphere... It's amazing. Easily one of the best games this generation. But it seems that I bought it on the wrong system. I can understand a couple day one hiccups, but seriously Bethesda? This is ridiculous. I have had to restart the game twice now simply because a game breaking bug would happen during the main quest line, rendering completion of the story impossible. That, coupled with the amount of time I have stared at a blank screen while resetting my ps3 because Skyrim froze is just the tip of the iceberg. Sound cutting out, textures vanishing, saves getting corrupt, this version has it all. Even then, if I turn a blind eye to the fact that the ps3 version obviously wasn't tested enough (show me a Bethesda rep who says otherwise and I'll show you a liar) the worst part is that you released it knowing full well about these issues. I mean, why else would you not send out ps3 review copies to popular review sites? I think that is worse then the game being so broken, but I digress....

I hope that you see this user rating and read these reviews, and happen across mine. You already have my money for this game, and the only reason I am holding onto the unplayable frustration that is Skyrim is because I know the masterpiece it can be with the proper steps taken to improve it. I was looking forward to Prey 2, but I will not be purchasing it now. I know I alone will not make a difference, but I can only hope that my fellow gamers and I can send a message to all developers out there who think this is okay, in hopes of bettering the industry we all love.
  15. Dec 7, 2011
    It was buggy right from the start. character creation menu, remember that? Took forever to respond. Then it got laggier and laggier. **** you Bethesda. That Howard Todd is a lying piece of ****
  16. Dec 6, 2011
    It's disappointing. I really want to like this game, but it is simply too broken to be considered game of the year. Do yourselves a favor and stay away from the PS3 version.
  17. Dec 10, 2011
    Despite this being an excellent game, IT IS NOT PLAYABLE ON THE PS3 (after you hit around 6-8mb) save file. And when you hit 6-8mb you probably haven't even experienced half of it yet! Something needs to be done.
  18. Dec 10, 2011
    What started out as a beautiful game turned into a horrible mess. There are too many quest-breaking bugs, glitches, and performance issues such as huge framerate drops, lag, and unresponsive menu interface. Avoid the PS3 version (or the game altogether) until they come out with a patch that actually fixes these issues, unless you want to spend $60+ to beta-test an unpolished game.
  19. Dec 6, 2011
    As others had mentioned earlier, I also suggests people "NOT TO BUY THE PS3 version". The game has the potential to be a masterpiece but it turns out to be a game that full of bugs, glitches, laggy and many more issues. I decided to return the game back to the retailer and got my money back. For those people who are experiencing the same problems, please return the broken game back to theAs others had mentioned earlier, I also suggests people "NOT TO BUY THE PS3 version". The game has the potential to be a masterpiece but it turns out to be a game that full of bugs, glitches, laggy and many more issues. I decided to return the game back to the retailer and got my money back. For those people who are experiencing the same problems, please return the broken game back to the retailer or wherever you got this game from. Let the retailer deal with the Publisher/developer and the retailer may even decided to take game off the shelves. Expand
  20. Dec 5, 2011
    I am writing this because I love video games, and need to bring to light a problem with a game I was looking forward to like nothing else. It is a real shame that a game with as much hype and obvious potential as skyrim was let down by the ridiculous lag issues that plague it. On the PC and Xbox this 'masterpiece' of a game runs fine... and don't get me wrong, it does look like aI am writing this because I love video games, and need to bring to light a problem with a game I was looking forward to like nothing else. It is a real shame that a game with as much hype and obvious potential as skyrim was let down by the ridiculous lag issues that plague it. On the PC and Xbox this 'masterpiece' of a game runs fine... and don't get me wrong, it does look like a masterpiece. However they have truly shafted us PS3 players by not tuning the game's lag issues to an acceptable standard - play with a character for any reasonable amount of time and get your save area in the 5MB+ region, and you will be subjected to something more akin to a PowerPoint slide show than the 30fps game you were promised. The game becomes an agonizing, infuriating, unplayable mess. This is no exaggeration. Google DigitalFoundry (a performance analysis site) along with Skyrim and the evidence is all there, captured on video.
    We, the consumers, deserve some integrity from the developers. They cannot be allowed to get away with ripping countless thousands of people off like this. If you haven't bought this game yet, please hear our appeal, and show Bethesda that we deserve fit-for-purpose products by holding off buying this game. If you have bought it, please help bring to light the problems countless gamers just like you are experiencing by writing honest reviews, posting on forums, sending emails to Bethesda. This is already reaching mainstream news, and you can help get this game fixed and give us PS3 gamers, who have done nothing wrong but happen to use this console instead of Xbox or PC, the game we paid for and deserved.
  21. Dec 5, 2011
    Let me make one thing clear... this game is actually incredible. Maybe one of the best games I've EVER played... so why am I giving it a 0 you may ask... because it's incredible, UNTIL you can't play it anymore due to the most horrible lag EVER in any game ever released!! You have to see it to believe it. You would be horrified to watch it drop to barely 1-2 frames per second... and that'sLet me make one thing clear... this game is actually incredible. Maybe one of the best games I've EVER played... so why am I giving it a 0 you may ask... because it's incredible, UNTIL you can't play it anymore due to the most horrible lag EVER in any game ever released!! You have to see it to believe it. You would be horrified to watch it drop to barely 1-2 frames per second... and that's when it's not just freezing up overall for many seconds at a time! It's obvious Bethesda knew there were problems with the PS3 version (which is why they only released PC and 360 copies for review) but didn't care and released it anyway so they wouldn't hurt their profits. I'm still blown away. Something should be done legally against this company for the FRAUD that was committed here, and that is exactly what it is. Even IGN is calling them out now on this. And it's so sad too... because before you hit the problem, it is truly an incredible game. But one minute playing a true Game of the Year candidate, only to have it turn into an unplayable piece of trash is something I never thought I would have witnessed! Expand
  22. Dec 6, 2011
    A masterpiece, unfortunately as seems to be normal these days the PS3 version is a complete mess. Want to play it, but the experience is just too frustrating with appalling lag, game breaking bugs. Hopefully it will get fixed but i wont hold my breath. Would be 10/10, in the current state its 0/10 and AVOID IT.
  23. Dec 7, 2011
    Sigh, what to say about this game? Buried in there is perhaps one of the greatest RPGs in history. Unfortunately, in its current state you'll never get to experience it. To say the game is glitchy is an understatement of epic proportions. It freezes, quests are broken, houses pop up, dragons fly backwards, and that's not even mentioning the largest issue. The game cannot handle systemSigh, what to say about this game? Buried in there is perhaps one of the greatest RPGs in history. Unfortunately, in its current state you'll never get to experience it. To say the game is glitchy is an understatement of epic proportions. It freezes, quests are broken, houses pop up, dragons fly backwards, and that's not even mentioning the largest issue. The game cannot handle system memory properly, and so rapidly grinds to a shuttering halt. Your frame rate will drop down to literally 0 fps at times. It becomes unplayable. Completely and totally unplayable. To add insult to injury, Bethesda the developers give little to no communication and insist that somehow "most" players do not experience this. I have yet to find a single person I know on this platform who can play the game. It really should be recalled. Do yourself a favor, stay away, and spend your money on any number of other worthy games. Such a complete and total shame. Expand
  24. Dec 7, 2011
    The truth is that Bethesda rushed this game to all hell, and let a massive memory leak bug disallow further progress for an RPG fan who loves to explore. And there's dozens of bugs that have been overlooked, but Bethesda doesn't care. They got their damn money off of us PS3 players without consideration of letting us play comfortably.
    I will admit this is Oblvion 2.0, its a ton of fun and
    I will admit this is Oblvion 2.0, its a ton of fun and the leveling system actually feels like a leveling system, but what good is a game promising over 300 hours of content when passing 50 hours presents game breaking bugs.
    Shame on you Bethesda, and please dismiss Pete Hines, he speaks and tries to "debunk" facts with his behind.
  25. Dec 8, 2011
  26. Dec 8, 2011
    This game is broken so baddly that you cant finish it, main quest broken, side quests broken, and whats most importent extreme lags that looks likeslide shows. First time in my gameing history i want my money back.
  27. Dec 8, 2011
    Great game made unplayable due to lag, not fit for release. Beth should have held back the ps3 version and their handling of the situation has been very poor. Feel somewhat cheated. should have known better after playing FO3 GOTY
  28. Dec 9, 2011
    Don't buy this game for PS3! Bethesda's track record on PS3 titles was horrible, and this one isn't any better. If they can't make a technically sound game on the Playstation 3 console, they shouldn't release one. It's unfortunate, because the game itself is great under the technical mess that is their game engine. The first few hours are great, but once your game file gets to a certainDon't buy this game for PS3! Bethesda's track record on PS3 titles was horrible, and this one isn't any better. If they can't make a technically sound game on the Playstation 3 console, they shouldn't release one. It's unfortunate, because the game itself is great under the technical mess that is their game engine. The first few hours are great, but once your game file gets to a certain size it begans to stutter and freeze to the point that it becomes unbearable. Keep in mind that I haven't even mentioned the multitude of gameplay glitches and bugs - there are people who can't even complete the main quest! Don't pay for a broken game, otherwise they will keep putting them out. Expand
  29. Dec 9, 2011
    Skyrim has everything to be a good game, a really good game. But there are many problems. After my save game data reach 10mb, the game was so laggy that became unplayable.DO NOT BUY SKYRIM.It's broken...
  30. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is broken.DO NOT BUY this game.LAGS FREEZES,it can ruin your ps3 and mess up your HDD.DO NOT buy this game until bethesda fix it and according to this http://www.reddit.com/r/skyrim/comments/mza05/skyrim_ps3_framerate_fallout_new_vegas_developer/ it won't be fixed...

1. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Jan 2, 2012
    This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Dec 17, 2011
    Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]