6.3

1. Jun 1, 2012
    Severely dated combat mechanics (and I by dated we're talking by about a decade) hamper this game so much that for all it's good points (namely nearly everything else) it's not enjoyable to play.
  2. Jul 9, 2012
    DO NOT, under any circumstances buy this game for the PS3, unless it's $20 or below. This is the worst version out to date, and it's funny how these pig headed publishers/Bethesda still prices this game as the 360 version. This game is still plague with major problems even with the patch. There still sound bugs, freezing, getting stuck in walls, and cracks, flying animals, glitches,DO NOT, under any circumstances buy this game for the PS3, unless it's $20 or below. This is the worst version out to date, and it's funny how these pig headed publishers/Bethesda still prices this game as the 360 version. This game is still plague with major problems even with the patch. There still sound bugs, freezing, getting stuck in walls, and cracks, flying animals, glitches, animation issues, must I go on? If your smart with your money, you'll wait for a dramatic price drop, or a complete edition for cheap, or just avoid this game on the PS3 all together. WTF are these main critics doing giving this a 9-10 for the PS3 version is beyond my understanding. Don't buy into the lies. Expand
  3. Jan 20, 2013
    the story its cool but when you start playing it you get stuck, they dont help you, like most of the gamers hate the long quests like if you are on x place the quest says you need to go to y place or like a place 500miles away from you.
  4. Nov 14, 2011
    The dilema giving Skyrim a score is the choice between 9 and 10. Its not perfect, It has flaws, a few patches are definately in order. And yet its the most incredable enviroment I've ever witnessed on a PC, The word game do'es not do it justice. SO... 10 it is.
  5. Nov 11, 2011
    THE game of the decade. It has everything you could ever want in a videogame, and really a whole lot more. It has the best of everything it includes in the game, and it includes a whole hell of a lot.
  6. Nov 11, 2011
    There are times in this game where I just stop and stare at the world that it creates. A game as magical and absorbing as this deserves nothing less than a ten.
  7. Nov 11, 2011
    Il est enfin la, le rpg ultime de betesda sur cette génération, j'adore, techniquement bon même si la version pc est bien meilleur, l'histoire du titre est classique mais reste interessante, comme d'habitude avec les elder scrolls, un grand jeu
  8. Nov 11, 2011
    This game is just amazing! I really enjoyed Oblivion loved it even. There is plenty to explore, many side missions that are available just by visiting cities. Some people have given this a bad score don't listen to them they have no idea what they are thinking. This is my favourite RPG game to date nothing in my mind can compere to it! The horses and water effects and how it works areThis game is just amazing! I really enjoyed Oblivion loved it even. There is plenty to explore, many side missions that are available just by visiting cities. Some people have given this a bad score don't listen to them they have no idea what they are thinking. This is my favourite RPG game to date nothing in my mind can compere to it! The horses and water effects and how it works are better than before. It is the same for the menus and how you level up and become better. If you get this game you will not be disappointed. Expand
  9. Nov 15, 2011
    Great game.... environment is outstanding. I would give it a 9.5. The amount of quests you get can be overwhelming and you can get lost in the plot. Also there are a few crashes and bugs. But that doesn't ruin the experience. If you are looking for a pure RPG... get this game.
  10. Nov 21, 2011
    my words are unworthy to describe this game. it is simply a masterpiece. i've been playing for probably 20 hours yet it feels i've barely scratched the surface. the graphics are beautiful, the spells and weapons stylish, and the enemies epic.
  11. Nov 12, 2011
    Look. Doubtless you could spend a fair while nitpicking at all the negatives in the game, and admittedly, like ALL games there are a few. But it does not override the fact that this is a simply OUTSTANDING game that is easily up there with the biggest contenders this year, dare I say it even surpasses them by many miles. While some may see a broken, glitchy repeat, I see a game thatLook. Doubtless you could spend a fair while nitpicking at all the negatives in the game, and admittedly, like ALL games there are a few. But it does not override the fact that this is a simply OUTSTANDING game that is easily up there with the biggest contenders this year, dare I say it even surpasses them by many miles. While some may see a broken, glitchy repeat, I see a game that thrusts a truly mesmerising world into your fingertips and shouts, "Go forth, Explore this land we hath created for you!". Say goodbye to fast-travel, because the soundtrack and the sheer beauty of it will make you want to walk everywhere. Expand
  12. Nov 19, 2011
    If you don't like long reviews - I like Skyrim. A lot. It's the Game of the Year and more. If you aren't playing it, you are missing out on hands-down the best game I've ever played. Period. Full stop.

I created an account here specifically because I was SHOCKED at the scores for Skyrim and because I wanted to add my voice to the chorus who loved it. So take what follows for what it's worth.

Skyrim feels like nothing short of a triumph of modern gaming. It is huge, interesting, and immersive like nothing that's come before, and more importantly, it is as deep as the ocean. I have put more than 50 hours into this game and I haven't even scratched the surface. It is as deep as the World of Warcraft except single player, if that makes sense. And every second is just a breathtaking testament to how much attention the design team paid to EVERYTHING. Characters interact in realistic ways - when I slayed a dragon on the main street of a town, two NPCs (a shopkeeper and another that I had seen walking around the town for days before) died forever and for the next week (in game) every one in town was in awe of the dragon fight and skeleton...it was a procedurally generated event (I *think*) that FELT scripted, which is the highest compliment I think I can pay. When the line blurs between story events designed by a truly outstanding creative team and story events designed by the game engine, that's a very good sign.

The graphics are lush and beautiful, the music and sound design is awe-inspiring. It makes the real world pale in comparison. Seriously.

The deepness in the game is truly stunning. I could (and have!) spent hours just creating weapons and armor with Smithing, hours Enchanting, hours practicing Alchemy...and that is all in excess of the tens of storylines, each epic, each deep, each amazing. The only complaint I have about the storylines and immersion of the game is that it sometimes seems like too much...it's hard to stay focused because there's just so much going on.

It is the most open experience I've ever had in any game, ever. That includes tabletop games, run by good GMs, who could literally respond to every thought and whim in real-time (and didn't have to generate a beautiful 3D world as well). The closest comparison that I can make, that almost no one will understand, is this: if you created a Rogue-like game, with infinite procedurally generated dungeons and combined it with the kind of 3D environments that you see on next gen consoles...that's awfully close to what Skyrim is. It scratches that itch very, very well. The difference of course is that the environment in Skyrim is hand designed - every inch of every game map has been touched by a designer, and it shows.

It's the first game that I would argue is almost past the point of art - it's so immerse, calling it art cheapens it. It really is just a triumph in every way.

So to show that I'm not completely blind, here are the things I don't like - I have several times seen glitches and errors pop up...but usually after I had been playing the game for six hours at a stretch or greater. I restarted my console and went on without a problem. Once or twice I've even had a 'hard' freeze on my console, but recovered with really no data loss. The inventory/magic menu system is elegant but not particularly user friendly - it can feel cumbersome, especially in the middle of a fight. This is due primarily to the huge number of things in your inventory, though. And I'm not sure how it could be better, just to say that it can be clunky at times. The combat system is tricky because it's deeper than it appears to be....you can't just walk up to a better-equipped opponent and wail away. Rather than stand in front of them and button mash, to not be instantly slaughtered you have to move, almost like a high level boxer, feinting and reacting to your opponents attacks. Probably fewer than 1 in 50 combat situations fall into this category, though. And for every shockingly hard combat, there are also multiple ways to win - sometimes a magical item, sometimes a spell, and sometimes through sneaking and surprise. Again, creativity from the player is encouraged.

None of these minor problems distract from an overall amazing experience.

I am not a typical Skyrim player. I didn't even know about the game until the day before its release, and got so stoked up that I actually went to the midnight release (my first time ever doing so). I went in with no particularly high expectations - maybe that's why some users are unimpressed? I just wanted a cool game to play. But Skyrim has exceeded everything I could have even imagined.

Buy it now. It's not a game, it's an alternate reality.
  13. Dec 26, 2011
    I highly agree with Chrisking8613's comment... From what I've seen in order to fix the lag issues it seem to help by 1, creating several save files and making a new save each time (or overwriting if you have too many) or by 2, Updating your PS3/Skyrim. The update is most likely all that you need but I do both and don't experience any lockups or extreme lagging. So you will need both anI highly agree with Chrisking8613's comment... From what I've seen in order to fix the lag issues it seem to help by 1, creating several save files and making a new save each time (or overwriting if you have too many) or by 2, Updating your PS3/Skyrim. The update is most likely all that you need but I do both and don't experience any lockups or extreme lagging. So you will need both an internet connection and a large hard-drive, if you post a comment about "extreme lags" please specify if you've tried anything that I've suggested. Expand
  14. Nov 11, 2011
    Epic game... Graphics are great... Gameplay is awesome... What more can you ask for :) Im really enjoying the dragon souls part of the game. I hope the addons are epic for this game.
  15. Nov 13, 2011
    I love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and doI love this game. It takes a while to get into at first. It took me about 8 hours in before things were getting really good. The game is designed well. There's a bugs/glitches, but that's to be expected for sandbox style games. Very fun and engrossing. It's well made because the main campaign becomes very difficult if you're not leveled up enough, which forces you to explore and do other quests. There are side quests with amazing detail that aren't even part of the main campaign.

I'm giving it a 9 though because there are a few technical issues I don't agree with.
  16. Nov 30, 2011
    Skyrim, is far from a perfect game, but that doesn't detract from what it is, game of the year.

Visually, Skyrim is absolutely stunning. I can recall multiple times while running across the wilderness, i have stopped and stared off into the horizon as the sky lit up, reminiscent of the Norther Lights, with a mountain range with snow capped peaks and low cloud clover sat in the distance. All the creatures and characters as well, are very fleshed out to create a very lively world, a very lively beautiful world, for the player to do what they will in it. Now with my short time on the 360 version, there were a few screen tearing issues, but I've put in nearly double the time of the PS3, now at 80 hours, and haven't noticed a single time this has happened. There have been a few frame rate drops when there are a high amount of particle effects, but you have to remember, this game was designed and built on the 360 and ported to the PS3. So, for a ported game, it's not bad at all.

The gameplay has changed substantially as well. The combat system has had a overhaul to the point where you can duel wield daggers, swords, axes or even magic spells. You can even combine these spells to create an absolutely destruction spell to unleash on your enemies. The menu system has been overhauled too. It has been created to be used with minimal button pressing, but, can be navigated completely with any of the cardinal directions on either the d-pad or left joystick. Button pressing only comes on entering the system, to quick exit, or assign a weapon or item as a favorite or which hand to equip it too. It really is, a superb system that is easy to learn and fun to use.

Now the game, is massive. I've started quests, worked on them for a half hour, only to be given a new quest and go off and start on that one. And the amount of content, is staggering. So far, no two dungeons have been alike. They've all been very alive. From the old derelict crumbling fortresses populated and controlled by bandit tribes, to caves full of necromancers and their undead armies to ice caves with a very nice reference to Star Wars in which a dead Luke is hanging upside down. The game is massive, and will take weeks to complete completely.

As I said, there are bugs, from some physics glitches in which a giant can smack you into orbit as if you were a satellite to a dragon's carcass dancing if you load into a city and it's where you killed it. These, can be overlooked, for underneath these few minor annoyances, likes an artistic masterpiece that everyone should participate in.
  17. Nov 14, 2011
    Oblivion stole about 300+ hours from my life and I have no doubt in my mind that Skyrim will do the same. I picked the game up on the PS3 and so far it looks absolutely beautiful, despite a few lazy textures the game is wonderful to look at. One of my favorite elements of the Elder Scrolls games is the rich immersion into the lore of the world and the unique way the story is told andOblivion stole about 300+ hours from my life and I have no doubt in my mind that Skyrim will do the same. I picked the game up on the PS3 and so far it looks absolutely beautiful, despite a few lazy textures the game is wonderful to look at. One of my favorite elements of the Elder Scrolls games is the rich immersion into the lore of the world and the unique way the story is told and Skyrim exceeded all my story expectations. I've already wasted at least 2 hours reading the in game story books. The world is so immersive that you may find yourself whispering to your friends on the couch while sneaking, or wanting to let out a battle cry after one of the many dragon fights, the game takes you in and doesn't let go. The combat took what we all loved from oblivion and improved the movements a lot, the magic feels fresh and new with the ability to dual wield spells and weapons, get ready to feel like a bad ass.

All good things aside there were some issues you may want to be ready for. There is some texture issues with the environments, noticed mostly on the cobblestone streets but its easy to ignore, graphical lag can occur every now and then. Many players fear the dreaded game freeze and I have to admit, I have had to restart my console to resolve one myself but so far its a one time thing. The voice acting has improved and the characters feel more real but there's still some pretty cheesy dialogue this also pretty rare.

Overall I'm going to go with about a 9, if Bethesda can spit out a few bug fixing patches in the near future my rating may go up, mainly because my only problems with the game are technical issues, and that its going to steal my social life away for god knows how long.
  18. Dec 9, 2011
    Bugs should knock a gaming masterpiece down from a 10 to a 9, not from a 10 to a 0. The number of people that gave the game a 0 is truly indicative of one thing: trolls are truly whiny deep down. Big games will have a few glitches. Not every game will provide the instant gratification that Call of Duty does. Get over it.
  19. Nov 14, 2011
    I bought this game on a whim, simply because I haven't had a game to play for ages and the simple conclusion is: This game is incredible! I'm not one to follow the main quest line in the elder scrolls games, so the first thing I usually do is head straight into the wild to see what the world throws at me. The world threw dragons, amazing dungeons, horses and epic quest lines at me. ThisI bought this game on a whim, simply because I haven't had a game to play for ages and the simple conclusion is: This game is incredible! I'm not one to follow the main quest line in the elder scrolls games, so the first thing I usually do is head straight into the wild to see what the world throws at me. The world threw dragons, amazing dungeons, horses and epic quest lines at me. This game is a must have! I recommend you get it to PC as you will have the possibility to play using mods created by the vast community. Some glitches holds it from getting a perfect score. Expand
  20. Nov 19, 2011
    Fantastic game. Above and beyond oblivion and I loved that game. Graphics are very nice, game is seemingly endless with tons of play time, amazing scenery, and beautiful music. Recommend to anybody who enjoys RPGs.
  21. Nov 20, 2011
    Amazing! So much better than oblivion. A true masterpiece. Bethesda just keeps putting out some of the most amazing games. It will pull you in and take over your life. Thank you so much Bethesda.
  22. Nov 21, 2011
    I never played any of the Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim, and I admit that I rushed into buying it the day it came out but I am really glad I did because it really is an amazing game. Sure, there are a few things that need to be fixed up but that can be expected with a new release. I highly recommend buying Skyrim, you wont regret it.
  23. Nov 29, 2011
    This game is great it is huge and there soo many things for you to do that it can even overwhelming at times. However the major flaw in this game for this console is the frame rate. I do not remember oblivion having frame rate issues, and they are in actuality the same size. They have released the 1.02 patch that has improved the frame rate issues but has not eliminated them entirely. iThis game is great it is huge and there soo many things for you to do that it can even overwhelming at times. However the major flaw in this game for this console is the frame rate. I do not remember oblivion having frame rate issues, and they are in actuality the same size. They have released the 1.02 patch that has improved the frame rate issues but has not eliminated them entirely. i can tell you though that it is not nearly as bad as it was, and if Bethesda keeps working at it then I'm happy I guess. Although they really should of fixed this before releasing it, and none of the critic reviews ever mentioned frame rate issues which really pisses me off. Makes you think that some shady business is going on there. Expand
  24. Nov 12, 2011
    The first hour is a bit disapointing. That said, Skyrim offers a better experience in every ways than Oblivion or Fallout. I love being lost in this tremendous world. A game where we dont count hours...
  25. Dec 2, 2011
    Bethesda is well known by their massive huge worlds that are tantalizing to explore from begining to the end. What is left in here is a masterpiece that is impossible to resist. Hats off
  26. Nov 14, 2011
    Fantastic fun game that does a great job immersing you into its world. It feels like it looks and I love the setting, coldy windy, norse mythology mixed with the deep story and background of Elder Scrolls.

It rings familiar of Oblivion but the characters feel like real humans and while still not exactly pretty don't rip you our of the experience any longer. The simplified skilling system is perfect for me because i dont want to get my calculator out and permanently worry about messing up my "build". I can understand if you liked that part of the previous games you might be dissapointed by that. For me it balances out to a great value and I look forward to a long winter in Skyrim
  27. Nov 13, 2011
    It's an amazing game. From the set-pieces, such as the great intro, to the magnificent vistas and the populace of skyrim, it just makes you want to play more and more of it. Don't be surprised if at some point you've said "ok, i'm just going to finish this quest and then i'll put down the controller, have to wake up for work tomorrow" just to realize, after what seems to be maybe half anIt's an amazing game. From the set-pieces, such as the great intro, to the magnificent vistas and the populace of skyrim, it just makes you want to play more and more of it. Don't be surprised if at some point you've said "ok, i'm just going to finish this quest and then i'll put down the controller, have to wake up for work tomorrow" just to realize, after what seems to be maybe half an hour, that dawn is coming and you've been playing for hours and hours. In my opinion it's one of the games that I would fully recommend to anyone, whether they've played any of the other Elder Scrolls or not. Expand
  28. Nov 12, 2011
    Just perfect game.
    Good story, improved game play, very good facial animation and outstanding graphics.
    It is a way better game than oblivion!
    GOTY!!!
  29. Nov 22, 2011
    This Game is completely 100% amazing, the graphics are superb, storytelling is fantastic and the gameplay is legendary. The Elder Scrolls is a world famnous gaming franchise, known for the complete freedom that it offers and just how purely fun it is. Arena, was an amazing game at the time, Daggerfall was HUUUGE, Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was great, and now Skyrim is utterlyThis Game is completely 100% amazing, the graphics are superb, storytelling is fantastic and the gameplay is legendary. The Elder Scrolls is a world famnous gaming franchise, known for the complete freedom that it offers and just how purely fun it is. Arena, was an amazing game at the time, Daggerfall was HUUUGE, Morrowind was revolutionary, Oblivion was great, and now Skyrim is utterly perfect. I have been seriously gaming since i was 6, when Arena came out, and I honestly havent seen a game quite like Skyrim, ever. I highly reccommend this game for the casual gamers, serious gamers, posers, and posers who are posing to be posers. If you want a good game, please buy TES V Skyrim Expand
  30. Nov 23, 2011
    Before i begin, i need to say that for all of those who have problems with the game lagging and freezing, there is a light for you. Bethesda heard your complaints and have announced a patch to fix it after Thanksgiving. Now, I should start by saying i wasn't the biggest fan of Oblivion. I didn't hate it, but i got it late, this year actually for the 5th anniversary. I saw what Skyrim wasBefore i begin, i need to say that for all of those who have problems with the game lagging and freezing, there is a light for you. Bethesda heard your complaints and have announced a patch to fix it after Thanksgiving. Now, I should start by saying i wasn't the biggest fan of Oblivion. I didn't hate it, but i got it late, this year actually for the 5th anniversary. I saw what Skyrim was doing and got excited to see if they would deliver that fantasy experience that Lord of the Rings got me into when i was a kid. And im happy to say it did, every bit of it. It toke everything that I though Oblivion did ok at and made it great. Character animations are more natural, but still a bit stiff, though i let that pass when i can kick a Drugars ass in a cave. The open world feeling is there, with beautiful environments and sounds that are a joy to just sit back and listen to. Combat is miles above Oblivions, with hit detection, blood on your weapon of choice and some final finishes strait from Fallout 3, one of my all time favorite games. Magic is more fun in this game than any i have played, and a level up system that is much more natural than The Elder Scrolls past games. The story is very good as well, with some memorable characters and fantastic moments. Side missions can range from the simple retrieve this and that, to crazy "Didn't see that coming" missions. The only thing i can say that is wrong that DOESN'T involve small glitches that Bethesda is working on is some of the textures. This is a big picture game, and that big picture is amazing. But get up close to a mountain and tree and you can see the polygons and rough edges.Though the game isn't meant to be examined up close, its meant for you to look out over a cliff and see the mist at the top of a mountain, or the gloom of a cave. The only way you can hate this game is to go out and find the glitches, but sometimes a game is made from the glitches and laughing about them. Skyrim is the love letter from Bethesda. Did you love Oblivion? Here is a better story, graphics, combat, pretty much everything that is still the game you love. Did you love Fallout 3? We have the questing, finishers, and feel from that game. Did you love Fallout: New Vegas? We have the weight feel and spectacular writing from that game as well. A truly amazing game, one that you shouldn't hate because of its few short-comings, but should be loved for listening to the customer and giving them what they have wanted for 5 long years. Expand

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]