6.2

1. Dec 4, 2011
    For those of you who are addicted to trophy hunting, the difficulty level of the game doesn't affect the trophies, so you can play it dead easy, and still get all of them. There's a vast world to explore making it rather addictive. Quests / battles very doable, not too hard, not retardedly easy either... However... this game has some serious flaws, which get REALLY ANNOYING after some time.... Such as... Main quest is really really short. Sometimes in battles a dragon pops up (if you're lucky your enemies die by the dragon's attack, if unlucky both the dragon and the other enemies aggro on you). If you hit a member of your team during a number of quests (not all), they turn their aggression on you. This is especially retarded for mages since they just run into your attack while casting and turn aggressive. >_< The stamina of your horses run out even faster than your own, which completely ruins the point of riding on a horse. Not faster. If you're in battle and you surrender, your horse / companion will keep on fighting. (just annoying) After about 20 hours of game time the game starts to lag so badly it's damn near impossible to play the game (happens either straight away or after 30 minutes or so), and there's not much you seem to be able to do about it. (this is the main reason I'm grading it low, a game you can't play due to fps lags isn't really a fun one. Next to the lagging, sometimes the game crashes during a loading screen or freezes while you're running around, the fps lag can actually freeze up your entire console. In some cases I can exit the game using my controller, in some cases I can press the on/off button on my console, and in some cases I have to cut the power off of my ps3 and plugging the cord back in. Most annoying thing really. Also, the update for this game supposedly fixing bugs, makes the game act worse rather than better.... Quest bugs leading to it being impossible to finish quests, while you're hoping you have a recent previous save game from before the dungeon (which in most cases you don't). I'm sure I haven't named all minuses yet, but this is about enough really. It's a fun game, a LOT of gameplay, but the bugs and glitches and mistakes, and lags and freezes, and crashes, and everything else really take the edge off. Expand
  2. Dec 7, 2011
    To those who continue to think this page is being flooded by trolls: On the 5th of December, this page was linked on the forums for the hundreds (and possibly thousands) of PS3 users who are fed up with Bethesda's attitude towards releasing games (releasing a buggy game knowing full well it was buggy with the intention of 'fixing it later' instead of delaying the release to fix everything they could). The problems being flooded here are not trolls, but frustrated gamers who cannot enjoy this fantastic game due to a huge lag problem that makes the game unplayable. I personally am about 43 hours in, and the lag only really kicks in cities and during dragon fights. I dread to think what it will be like at 60 hours. But I am also quest locked, unable to complete the main storyline, and thus the reason for my 0. Expand
  3. Dec 5, 2011
    Currently, it's just a version of the game full of game-breaking bugs and glitches that will hinder your experience and make you wish for a refund.

I'll update the score if ever they release a proper version that fully works!
  4. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is just full of bugs.You cannot complete quests because there bugged.The framerate after your save file gets large makes the game unplayable.Yet another bugged released game by bugthesda.I got this one ps3 and would recommend that no one else buys this game.
  5. Dec 5, 2011
    this game is broken... it lags and un-playable after all the effort i i put into it... i cant beleive they would let this happen... dont expect much this game is prolly worth 20 bucks tops... and thats being generous. dont buy it new, or youu will be sorry you gave the company that ripped you off thier money.
  6. Dec 5, 2011
    My score might surprise you? Don't get me wrong, the game is epic and what I did play was some of the best fun I've had all year so why the low score?

It's simple. The game is "broken". This isn't something Bethesda can fix either, only delay. It's like this:

Basically the longer you play overall, the worst the framerates become. So say you have played the game for 40 hours, that's
    enough time to have explored most of the major cities, done a few side quests etc What happens is that all those places you've visited, all those people you've helped, killed, talked to are all stored in your save file. This is how the engine that powers the game works and is why it cannot be fixed.

So what happens is when you've done all these things, your memory is taken up as soon as you load up the game and very little is left for the Playstation 3 system to process the things it is supposed to.

Thus the framerates get progressively worse the more you play it. The sad part is that Bethesda are aware of this and never once showed us PS3 footage of the game. They also claim they didn't know about this problem despite the fact it has shown up in their previous titles, Fallout 3 and New Vegas.

They tricked many users by claiming the engine was remade but these symptons suggest they stuck with the Gamebryo style of game engine thus this problem remains.

So basically to sum this up. The product is broken and Bethesda can only delay the effects of the problem by lowering the graphics, disabling certain functions, deleting certain meshes. Soon DLC will be coming out and that will make it worse as it will add a new file called an .ESP which will contain new data, meshes, textures, sounds etc that will take up even more memory thus making the main game even worse.

I'm truly sad that Bethesda have done this and I will not be purchasing any future titles from them until they get their act together.
  7. Dec 16, 2011
    The PS3 version of Skyrim is a mess. The game starts out okay, but I experienced severe frame rate issues once my save file reached a certain size. The recent patch (1.2 ) did not fix these issues. Turning off autosaves only helps a little bit. The game also caused my system to freeze at times. The freezing isn't being caused by faulty hardware. I recently played Arkham City for many hours at a time without a hiccup. Bethesda should be completely ashamed. I can forgive minor bugs, but releasing a broken product is inexcusable. Expand
  8. Nov 12, 2011
    Definitely the disappointment of the year, Skyrim is essentially Fallout 3 with dragons and swords. The entire UI - from button layout (triangle is JUMP, select is "wait how long?"), down to the O button calling up your PIP Boy (er, in this case it's just your menu - which works exactly the same way and is even in THE SAME FONT AS FALLOUT 3 - is all pulled from Oblivion & Bethesda's post-apocalyptic title from 2008. What's worse, the graphics have not improved from Fallout 3's slow-loading textures and chintzy facial-animations. Truly, I was shocked given how much buzz had been generated about this game... shocked, followed by a feeling of being ripped-off as I'd spent full-price on this dud. Granted, I've only played the first several hours... so it could be that the plot gets amazing in the later levels; but I don't think I'm going to be able to put up with much more of the glitches, cheesy script and sad character animations. For example, the grizzly bear in the beginning of the game? Well, it doesn't so much "walk" as it does "float in a weird circle" without moving its legs entirely. Me and my mates were sitting with out jaws dropped... this is the last time I trust Bethesda on their word. Then again, all the reviews seemed to be so glowing and favorable.... I must admit it makes me wonder how much advertising has had to do with influencing these undeserved scores.Here's the thing, if I were a little kid who only was able to get like 3 games a year from mom and dad, yeah, I think I'd probably dig this game a lot more (and be super-defensive about it sucking, thereby giving it a 10 on Metacritic), because it's huge and in that sense, worth one's money. But I'm an adult. I buy pretty much every new game I want, which is at least a few a month. I bought Rage. I bought Dark Souls. Having had those recent experiences (not to mention Uncharted 3 and Arkham City), Skyrim just feels super-antiquated and, well... sad. It's just a sad, sad title. You know what hurt the most? My roommate who doesn't even play video games was able to casually walk past me whilst playing Skyrim and immediately assessed it's mediocrity. "What's that... that's not your new game is it?" he said. Yes, yeah... that's Skyrim. "Eew, really? It looks like Fallout." I **** you not... even the uninitiated can smell the fecal pile that is Skyrim's tiredness. I'm just glad I can at least trade in Skyrim for the bulk of my money in time for Saints Row III. So much for a weekend learning Dragon Shouts. :-( Here's a shout for you "SKYRIM SUCKS!"â Expand
  9. GWB
    Dec 5, 2011
    This game is a 10 for the first 20 hrs. then your save file becomes so large that it affects the performance of your ps3 and all the game breaking bugs and lag issues come to the surface. DO NOT BUY THIS GAME NEW! wait until the bugs are fixed (I still have faith that they will be) and the price drops.
  10. Dec 9, 2011
    First things first: The game itself is brilliant. Unfortunately not on Ps3 though. While some may argue whether or not you can rate a game 0 when the first 50 hours were awesome, or if you should take into account THAT you were able to play it for 50 hours whereas other games don't even last as long, it simply and ultimately comes down to the fact that this is a faulty product and does not deliver what the company promised. As Ps3 users we are more or less used to get the bad ports and with Skyrim it is no different. The graphics and general performance is the worst out of the 3 platforms, but that's not really an issue. Skyrim is still a good looking game, even gorgeos at times. And while it has some annoying yet bearable drops in framerate every now and then, the biggest game breaker is the massive 'lag' or stuttering that people are most likely to experience at some point. Imagine it to run with 0-5 frames per second. Since the latest update, a lot of other issues have arisen too. First and foremost the freezes which lock up your Ps3 and will eventually corrupt your hard drive. Add in occasionally broken main quests which prevent you from completing the game, a lot (read: a LOT) of other bugs and Bethesda's track record of how they dealt with bugs in previous games for Ps3, shake the whole thing and decide on your own if you really want to try the nicely looking yet somehow fishy smelling result. My advice: Don't. Just don't. You might get sick. Now, if you think we're just trolls, there's an easy way to find out. Just take a look to the right and read the official review from PSOM UK, or hit up youtube and type in "Skyrim Ps3 lag", check IGN who are currently investigating, go to the official Bethesda forums, heck, inform yourself any way you like, but don't believe those who gave the game a perfect 10 to know about ANYTHING. We are just here to warn you. *** Rated 0 because the game is fundamentally broken on Ps3. ***

PS: You're probably confused because people are telling different save file sizes at which the lag begins. That's because it's not directly related to the size nor to the hours spent. It's related to how much you've done in the game. The engine keeps track of everything you do and since everyone plays at their own pace, it greatly varies for everyone when the stuttering will finally occur. Come to the official forums if you want to know more.
  11. Nov 29, 2011
    The game at its core could have been one of the best ever.... but the multitude of bugs, vary from simple NPC's glitching out, and behaving awkwardly, to not being able to complete quests and entire quest lines.... to having the game crash.. to having your save game wiped if you attempt to create a new character, and much more that I've yet to even encounter, but have read up on. These add up to possibly one of the most horrid, unpolished big-budget game releases on a console in recent history. It's as if we, the customers, paid to be Bethesda's beta testers... because its obvious very little time was spent on the PS3 "port" prior to release.

And to top it all off, the more time you spend playing the game, the further you get, and the larger your save file grows... the choppier and less playable the game becomes. To the point where the game becomes an unplayable slideshow. The evidence is rampant online and in youtube videos, if you search it yourself ( "Skyrim PS3 lag / slowdown" ) go ahead look it up yourself.

If you own a PS3 copy and think you're safe from this game breaking slowdown and stuttering, wait till your save file gets over 7-8 megs, and you've invested a good 30 hours. The game devolves into a stuttering glitchy mess. If you own a PC that can handle the game, or an Xbox, get those versions instead.
  12. Dec 1, 2011
    I would have given this game at least an 8 if it wasn't plagued by bugs and lag. The game is beautiful, quests are interesting, tons of content, and while the combat may be stale, repetitive, and ultimately devoid of strategy, it's not the focus of the game anyways. Sounds like it should be a joy to play, right? Not for PS3 users. The lag is so bad at times that I can hardly move. The game turns into a slideshow whenever I try to run through whiterun or use my horse on the world map. Put half a dozen enemies on the screen and my character is teleporting all over the place. The craptastic framerate literally sucks every ounce of enjoyment out of the game for me. The lag pops up no matter what I'm doing, whether it be dragon hunting, exploration, or just hanging out at the thieve's guild.

Instead of thinking about the game's positive points, I'm stuck thinking about stutters, freezes, online updates that somehow manage make the game even buggier and how Bethesda scammed me out of $60. Meanwhile, Bethesda has been quiet, saying nothing about the game-breaking lag and downplaying the other issues. Never falling for the Bethesda hype again. Fool me once...
  13. Dec 5, 2011
    Unplayable laggy mess of a game! Do not buy this game in it´s current state! It all seemed promising at first and I loved the first few hours of the game, thought it was going to be my GOTY, well silly me. After a few hours the game suffered from horrible framerate issues that caused the game to be unplayable. I hope Bethesda get sued............. fuc*ers
  14. Dec 5, 2011
    It's a good game, but it's full of bugs and glitches on PS3. Broken quests, lag problems, inconsistencies, and much more. Moreover the core engine hasn't changes so much since the previous Elder's Scrolls, which is a game of several years ago. I expected more from Skyrim. Again, could still be fun, if and when they patch it.
  15. Dec 5, 2011
    This game should be a masterpiece. Brilliant concept, improvements over the previous elder scrolls game, oblivion, and the ambitious goals of a game of this size and depth all should have led to a game of the year award. Too bad this game is broken. Game breaking lag, complete lockup during saving and zoning, quest bugs that are irreversible, thus ruining the entire quest chain permanently....these are some of the issues plaguing the ps3 version of skyrim. Dragons flying backwards, or never attacking at all. Corrupted save files costing literally hours of replay. This game was not fit for release, but bethesda picked their release day so far in advance and spent millions in advertising, they couldn't see delaying the game. Well shame on them, because six months from now when this game is finally working properly, they could have won the loyalty of every person who buys this on ps3. Instead, pride and greed interrupted their good sense, and will probably cost them a fortune in the long run. This should have been game of the year. Instead, its an "also ran". And bethesda, if we were ok with less than 10 frames per second, we would still be playing our rpg's with pen and paper Expand
  16. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  17. Nov 28, 2011
    When I first started playing this game I was immediately in love with it. The graphics were amazing and I was totally enjoying the medieval world. Well, I can safely say that I probably will not be playing this game again. The game has a major Lag issue where as you progress through the game the PS3 cannot handle the amount of information that the game is trying to get processed. So, basically about half way through the game it will start lagging and getting kind of buggy. After about 3/4 through the game it will start having major issues like freezing. Now I cannot even get through the final mission because it keeps freezing repeatedly. This is extremely frustrating and completely ruins the game for me. Whats the point in playing a broken game that you cannot even finish. Also, some people play that the fault lies with the PS3 since it doesn't have enough RAM but, if you think about it the developers should have taken that fact into account with porting to the PS3 and compensated but removing some of the unnecessary features like remembering every little animal that you kill. Terrible disappointment. Do Not Buy For PS3! Expand
  18. Nov 21, 2011
    Best and worst time with a game. Skyrim is an amazing game but I want to single out the PS3 version. I don't have a PC or an Xbox 360 so I was forced to try this version. It started off pretty well with very little problems. About 10 hours in with a 6mb save file, things started to go sour. I started to experience crazy amounts of lag that ruined game play. I implore anybody to get another version if they can. DO NOT BUY THE PS3 VERSION (or wait to see if it can be fixed). In addition to the lag problem, the ps3 version also has the worst visuals of the 3 platforms. This wasn't a big deal to me but it's worth noting for the people that care. Expand
  19. Dec 5, 2011
    One of the worst game release bugs I have ever seen with the PS3 framerate issues. I have lost complete faith in Bethesda. What a huge disappointment.
  20. Dec 5, 2011
    Skyrim is another iteration of the never-ending Bethesda circus.

While a completely epic game in terms of scope and story, the PS3-version is riddled with bugs, ranging from "slightly annoying" bugs like spell effects never going away causing adverse reactions from NPC instances, "this is bad" bugs like glitched out dragons never landing and/or flying backwards and - fresh off the 1.2
    patch - the complete nullification of magic resistances and finally "this is completely game breaking" bugs like the classic lag and subsequent hard crash whenever you have explored too much.

It is literally impossible to play for more than 30 minutes after you have explored enough things to fill the cache, and it's a coin toss over whether it'll degrade "nicely" with increased stuttering (down to 1-2 fps), just crashing hard at a random point (prompting a system reboot and a file system check) or a failure to load a new area (the 40 second load screens just never end).

While I could write about how much there is to do and how fun it is, the truth is that the PS3 is simply not playable the way it's supposed to be played, and should be avoided like the plague.
  21. Dec 5, 2011
    Broken, unplayable junk. A product like this should never have been shipped. Bethesda should feel ashamed for putting out a game in such a state. For anyone wondering what I'm talking about, there's a game breaking bug in the engine which will prevent you from playing further when you've spent enough time playing. The save file grows to a ridiculous size and at that point the game has deteriorated into a 0 fps slideshow. Apparently this is an engine issue so there's nothing Bethesda can do about it but they decided to ship this game anyway because they're greedy dirtbags. Same stuff happened with Fallout 3 but it wasn't as pronounced. Expand
  22. Dec 5, 2011
    AVOID UNTIL FIXED!! Too many bugs and game breaking issues (at Dec '11). Shame because it would be awesome if it worked :-( Hoping for a fix otherwise £40 down the drain...
  23. Dec 6, 2011
    DONT BUY THIS GAME!!! the game is broken, after you reach 6 mb in save file the game starts to lagg, after 8 mb you cant do nothing because the lag is so bad you cant play the game. the devopers dont even give us aswers and the historial of games is a mess. if you are thinking in buying this , DONT DO IT
  24. Dec 5, 2011
    Bethesda has created a beautiful world with Skyrim... but unfortunately, if you're playing the PS3 version, you won't be able to explore it. Skyrim on the PS3 is a completely BROKEN game. I can deal with minor visual anomalies and the odd crash here and there. But the problem with the PS3 version of Skyrim comes from it's strange file-saving system. As you progress in the game and explore the world, your save file gets bigger. As the save file gets bigger, the bugs become more and more apparent until they take over your entire gameplay experience. Here's just a few of the reported bugs that I have also experienced myself:
    - SEVERE frame rate drops (we're talking slide show, here)
    - Game freezes and crashes that become more frequent as you progress
    - Dragons that will not attack - Questlines that can't be completed due to quest givers being completely bugged.

These are just a few of the issues that the majority of PS3 players are experiencing. I wanted to love this game. I really did. I do love Bethesda games despite their bugs (which eventually do get fixed). But the conjecture here is that the PS3 just can't handle the engine that drives Skyrim, therefore, it may never be fixed. I, like many others, are short $60 and have a game sitting here that's no more useful than a place to set my drink.
  25. Dec 5, 2011
    This game had been released with large amounts of glitches and bugs, none as more transparent as the the PS3's LAG rendering the game basically unplayable and to add insult to injury Bethesda continues to ignore the plight of the PS3 Community at resolving this issue. Really hard to believe that Bethesda cares more about putting money in the pockets then they do about fixing there broken games.
  26. Dec 5, 2011
    This game is broken on ps3 , why would you buy a broken game. go to the major gaming websites and see for yourself, after 6 mb of file size the game is unplayable.

the proper score to a broken game is a BIG FAT ZEROOOOOOO
  27. Dec 5, 2011
    DON'T buy this game. It's broken, flawed, buggy and badly designed. it WILL run at 10 FPS after you play half the game and it WILL make your console crash, risking corruption of all your data.

The game itself is like Oblivion but refined and made barely prettier, but that doesn't matter when you can't play the game you bought.
  28. Dec 5, 2011
    This game has alot of potential but it is hopelessly bugged and unplayable on the PS3 at this time. SKYRIM for PS3 is broken and should not be sold in it's current state. A full recall and refund is needed for this title on this platform.
  29. Dec 5, 2011
    Great while it lasted. If I had reviewed this game 2 weeks ago, I might have given it a 10.

The first 40 hours were the most awesome, enjoyable, immersive hours of gaming I can remember. Beyond that point, the game becomes a paranoid grind through a sea of bugs, glitches, freezes, performance issues and general unplayability. Be prepared to save every 5 minutes, perform a forced reset
    roughly every hour after your PS3 locks up, or every 2 hours once the frame rate gets bad enough.

Bethesda knew about these issues specific to the PS3 prior to release, which is why they did not give game review sites copies of the PS3 version. Surely some of these sites would have played beyond the ~6MB save file limit, encountered major performance problems, and raised a red flag. This is really a disgrace by Bethesda and is a total insult to fans of the series. I hope that fans remember this for a long time. Although I have my moments of love and hate for Blizzard, Bethesda could learn a lot from their philosophy of releasing products "when they're done". Bethesda opted for short term gain at the expense of trusting PS3 owners. Shame on them. Do not buy this game on PS3.
  30. Dec 5, 2011
    Sorry for you PS3 users, looks like Skyrim has the most problems on that system. Other folks are having issues as well, but PS3 has the worst. Wait til this buggy game is fixed in about 6 months before purchasing. Great game, horrible customer service. Boooooo Bethesda.
  31. Dec 5, 2011

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]