6.2

1. Jul 24, 2014
    It took me awhile to get use to this game because i was a FPS fan. at first i didn't like it because well i thought it was boring.... i was wrong. very wrong. it now my most played game by far and its even better with the dlc.
  2. Jul 14, 2014
    By far one of the greatest games I've ever played.even if it had lag issues on ps3 the fame itself is among my top list...how can u rate 0 an elder scrolls game. I've spent like 200 hours on ps3...and 200 more on pc nodded...
  3. Jul 10, 2014
    While the PS3 version had a lot of issues at launch, along with the issue of the DLC, I'm glad Bethesda was able to sort out all the issues and get it running alright. I say alright because on the PS3 there is minor slowdown and in game freezes along with freezing at the load screen from time to time.

Don't get me wrong, The Elder Scrolls are my favorite game series to date, and I have
    played Morrowind and Oblivion over 200 hours a piece over the years.

For people who don't know what the game is about, it is different than any other game because of the freedoms you are given as the player. The beginning of the game is the only portion of the game that is linear (and all it really is, is a tutorial anyway). After that, you are free to explore the world in anyway you want. There is a main quest, but really, it's really your choice on what you want to do. If you want to build a fighting character, you can train your Health and Stamina and join the Fighters Guild and do missions that are based on killing stuff along with having a good story in the background. If you want to be a Mage, you train your Magicka and you go to the College of Winterhold and learn different spells that you can use to make your character better. You can also be an assassin, merchant, or a master of apothecary. All in all, it really doesn't matter what you do but personally I like joining the Dark Brotherhood and making an assassin with magical abilities such as invisibility (I've played for over 400 hours over the past two years on the difficulty Master).

That being said, I am not a video game nerd. And there are minor things that I would like to see fixed because I am a hardcore player. That is why I gave my review an 8. Someone new to the series I could see giving the game a 9 or even a 10 if you believe in perfection.

If you are a parent this holiday, I would recommend getting this game over Call Of Duty 14 for your kid if he's 16 to 18. Especially if he gets good grades in school and is a critical thinker because this game requires much more critical thinking than Call Of Duty 14 where you just shoot at people, get shot 1,000 times and don't die. I do understand that this is my personal opinion but Skyrim has won Game Of The Year by multiple publications and is regarded in nerdom as one of the best games ever made.

If your family has a nice computer, and don't live in the 1990's, I would recommend getting it for PC for enhanced graphics and the ability to mod your game which means you can add on to the biggest world ever created for a video game. Heck, you can even put lightsabers in it if you want.

And yes, I do have horns on my forehead. Because I was born that way. How about that Todd Howard.
  4. Jul 1, 2014
    OH lordy help me with this game ik im late to review it but atleast i know what i need to be doing.
    first of all skyrim is not as bad as some other elderscroll games and all the people tht hate on it giving it a zero are probably the people who dont understand much about how a game is supposed to aim at a certain consumer.
    Skyrim is aiming at one of the highest demographics of consumers
    ever KIDS and teens ranging from 10-11
    small numbers right
    EXACTLY u fools its supposed to make tht little kid who is sitting down in his/her room sitting down in their room on tht HD tv NOT THINK!
    WITHERFANG UR A STUPID BECAUSE WHY WOULD THEY DO THT.
    the average ten year old now screams at someone who keeps killing them at cod how to u expect them to think where treasure/thief/contract/etc... they made the game simple with lots of gore isnt tht something u look for in an action game.
    the map of skyrim is ok its not the best nor the worse the mountains can be tedious but where else would they put a cave. in the ground like a rabbit hole.
    The combat is the a factor tht people themselves act like a 10-11 year old.
    ok now listen in the menu when u press start/esc. it has a setting called DIFFICULTY turn the game to expert u whore and see how easy it is then with ur deadric items AY!
    when i first bought skyrim i had the same opinion boring tedious a chore. tht didnt even effect me.
    ok ok ok i need u to be the listener.
    DO WHAT U WANT AND GET THE DLC.
    the dlc is gorgeous but this is about vanilla skyrim.
    YES some a lot of the quest is rinse and repeat but it doesnt mean u hv to rinse and repeat.
    next time try to sneak.
    next time try to use a two handed weapon.
    next time go FREAKING NAKED.
    IF THE GAME IS TOO EASY THEN SPICE IT UP!!!!!
    really its a joke everytime i hear someone say skyrim is toooooooo easy.
    now to the story. 0_0 u tried to hv a good story but all together it was u know predictable kill alduin yadda yadda hooray!
    thts why its not a ten.
    the combat is very innovative itself like oblivion and marrowind. if i do recall when u press both r1 and l1 button u do a double strike so combat is an A.
    voice acting robot mechanic thing. ok they could of done better even with the face animation because the character may sound sad but all u see is a robot face but they have tried with the emotions.
    now the little subplots like LIST
    companions
    thieves guild
    bards college-useless
    empire
    stormcloacks
    if i missed any put them in the comments.
    now for me to cut some cake the bugs!!
    now they r annoying and some catch u and it breaks ur game we cant fix tht everygame has bugs this 1 just has a ittle more.
    now if i went into every little detail this review itself wold probably end up on ign or something so ima stop there thx for reading if u hv any further coments or concerns put them in the comment section
  5. Jul 1, 2014
    The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim is less a product of creativity than an act of creation. The accomplishment on display is without equal, but it’s the sublimation of those efforts into a deeply personal experience that is the lasting effect and elicits the compulsive desire to consume more and more of what it has to offer. Playing it, I could recall getting the first Nintendo system and sitting down with my brother to play Super Mario Brothers. Upon reaching the subterranean level 1-2, the dramatic aesthetic shift awakened us to the giddy thrill of realizing that we had no idea what the game had in store ahead, and our excitement became an uncontained rapturous exaltation. Eighty hours into Skyrim, I’m still feeling like that 11-year-old. Expand
  6. Jun 15, 2014
    Even if I ignored the extreme framerate issues, Skyrim would still be a huge disappointment when compared to the previous Oblivion. Just about all of the gameplay mechanics that made that game outstanding have been outright taken away or extremely dumbed down. For example, even though it was somewhat confusing for some players, in Oblivion you had total control over you character's attributes, allowing you to create a superhuman character with maxed out health, speed, magic, and so on. In Skyrim however, you are now forced to choose between an increase of only health, stamina, and magic at each level up, which makes it impossible to create a "jack of all trades" character. This, combined with the addition of a fatigue meter which prevents you from sprinting indefinitely may be more realistic, but it's nowhere near as much fun. Hell, you can't even jump in this game! In addition, the fighting in general has been watered down severely. In terms of weapon combat, you no longer have the flashy directional power moves which you could use to disarm and stagger enemies, and in general the sword fighting just feels slow and clunky. This is even more detrimental because you can't sprint in all directions, which makes it virtually impossible to tactically move around to the side or rear of enemies during a battle.

The story has also taken a dramatic fall from grace. Quest lines such as the Mages and Thieves guilds are short and bare bones with no real surprises, and once completed, they leave you with almost nothing interesting to really show for it. I can't even recall a single NPC ever mentioning my new status as leader of these factions. In fact, NPCs never really have any interesting tales or conversations amongst themselves, making the world feel even less lively than it's predecessor, even with the expanded roster of voice actors.

In closing, I think that if Skyrim had been developed as a PC game first and then ported to consoles, many of these new design choices wouldn't have been introduced. But since the younger generation PS3 and Xbox owner were more of a primary focus this time around, many sacrifices had to be made, and a lot of the magic was lost in the process.
  7. Jun 13, 2014
    Skyrim isn't a bad game, but it is, in my opinion, the most overrated game in the history of gaming w/o another game sniffing 2nd place. Sure, there's lots to do, but the ridiculous amount of bugs, glitches, frame rate drops, tearing & freezing leave me wanting to play anything this. People call this one of the best games ever made -- how? It's not even the best Elder Scrolls game ever made...
  8. May 29, 2014
    People are saying they hate this game and there are people saying they love it, then there are those oddballs in between that like it, but say it has flaws. Then there's ME, who is between the love and in-between nonsense. I really do love this game, it has an AMAZING and **** BEAUTIFUL world, it's just got so many things you could waste time on, and is an amazing addition to the Elder Scrolls series! That said, it does have it's flaws, but those are super small bugs and glitches that can be easily overlooked, 9 out of ten, easily! Expand
  9. May 21, 2014
    Absolutely amazing game! Hopefully Bethesda follows up with another ES that is just as good. Great game if you love to explore new places and are into the medieval thing. The dragons themselves are another good reason to pick this up. Multiple difficulty levels are available, so that you get the right amount of challenge.

For the haters rating low due to lag: The PS3 version is NOT
    "broken". Did you have the auto-save option on for traveling and waiting? I'll bet you did, because I had the same issue. The fix for your lag? Turn that option OFF. If you don't, the save file will become massive and freeze the machine. Don't be stupid and knock a game for an easily-fixable issue. Try Google next time. :p Expand
  10. May 5, 2014
    I am a huge Bethesda fan-girl. They can rarely do wrong in my eyes. That being said: Skyrim is a nerfed Oblivion, but it is still fun. Whatever bugs were going on are fixed now, I think I have had one or two crashes in the 100+ hrs I've played. Also very few if any instances of flying horses, hovering NPCs, etc, etc. Main story: Weak in Oblivion, and still weak now. Just no desire to complete it.

Quests: Fun, but lack in variety, which seems to be a trend. Morrowind had the most varied quests, then Oblivion and now Skyrim. It's turned into just a go find this, go kill that. Come on Bethesda!!!

Fighting is just pointing and clicking frantically. No real skill here.

Guilds: My two favorite guilds from Oblivion, Thieves and DB, are now my least favorite. The stories are so poor, they shouldn't have even bothered. However, the fighters' and mages' guilds have fantastic stories and memorable NPCs.

Environment: breathtaking. Truly breathtaking.

Music: Amazing and it will get stuck in your head, but in a good way.

Enemies: Level with you, thank the man that wasn't nerfed. Go in the wrong area and wham-o insta-death. This makes me happy, I like a challenge.

Crafting: HUGE improvement from Oblivion. HUGE. I love crafting in this game; alchemy, smithing, enchanting... it's a great way to earn money and helps with the immersion.

Good game, but when held to what Bethesda normally puts out, it was just OK.
  11. May 3, 2014
    After the slow start on PS3, the patch fixed most issues and the game is very good. There is so much to do, and while some things will become repetitive, this is still worth picking up. Hundreds of hours of potential gameplay.
  12. Apr 21, 2014
    The greatest video gaming experience I've ever had.

Before I got into the game, I'd always heard of it, but never played. When I started playing it, I got hooked in it. The gorgeous open world, with over 400 locations just make it great. Lots of quests, infinite hours of gameplay, and such a great addition to a great franchise.

Character creation really has improved, as well as the
    AI on each character. The voices are much improved as well, since Oblivion.

One common complaint it that it is "too easy" if so, go to your journal, and then settings, and change the difficulty. I recommend Apprentice or Adept for those on level 30-50, and then adept level from anywhere higher.

The amount of in game lore is incredible and quite stunning. As well as the development in the world, from simple things like how characters react to one and other, to the amazing post-quest dialogues.

10/10 from me
  13. Apr 7, 2014
    Skyrim is definitely one of my favorite games I have ever played. The visuals are great and the main story is OK, but all of the side missions are what make this game truly amazing. There are plenty of guilds to join and a unique quest line for each. The best part is, you don't have to chose what class you want to be right at the beginning. You chose what you want to be as you go. For me, this is the best RPG to date. Expand
  14. Apr 1, 2014
    The main reason I give it this score is that I feel it's been done so many times before. It's a very generic game. nothing to new here from my perspective. Same rush to the top, boring quests not a single person I know of actually cares to listen too, and most people ignoring other players until they need them. Might as well be a single player game for the first 20 hours... Oh. I don't need to mention bugs as many already have. ;-(

The biggest gripe I have with this game, as with almost ALL MMO's is is takes to bloody long to get to max level! Over 200 hours which is crazy! Why make it such a grind? There is no reason for this and I, as many others do not have this amount of time to spend on getting one character to level 50. I'd personally like to have a few at max one day to test different classes. I'd suggest for future developers around 50 hours is more than enough time to dedicate to one character, more than enough time to be rewarded with having your character be as strong as they can be. This reason alone takes off 5 points for me.
  15. Mar 31, 2014
    One of the finest examples of shallow reviewers who are noobs and suck really bad. Or that they got bribed by Bethesda. Going to make this short, so I can get to what matters most. If you are expecting at least one fun quest such as waiting for the old man to sit on his chair and you have to drop a bullhead on him to make it look like an accident while not getting caught by his giant man servant(from Oblivion), you will find nothing like that here. Tricking a group of people into thinking they are about to win a prize and you have to lure them one by one to a room to kill them without the others seeing you(Oblivion). Nothing, not one quest here is exhilarating or inspired. Every quest is insipid, boring, shallow, soul less garbage that consists of kill everything or bring me this. This game is a major major borefest, I turned it in after 60 hrs when i could not keep telling myself that this game was good. Ive put about 300 into Oblivion. Expand
  16. Mar 11, 2014
    This is how RPGs die; with thunderous applause. What happens when the best open world RPG series ever gets successful? Skyrim. Granted the game looks great and has a very large world to explore but it has been streamlined and dumbed down so much that no true RPG gamer could ever enjoy it.

First of all: NO STATS! I don't know if they thought it was too complicated to add stats for
    today's ADD riddled gamers or what. But to take out this core mechanic of any RPG worth its salt is unforgivable.
    Second, in an effort to continue to appeal to the lowest denominator of gamers they decided to once again go with "leveling" the world to you. This is a retard ass system and only leads to the high end of the game becoming stagnant and boring.
    Third they replaced actual content with "Radiant Storytelling" which in all reality translates to an infinite number of VERY GENERIC side quests (e.g. Go to location Y to get item X).
    Lastly they have removed almost every level role playing to their "RPG" There is no persuasion skill in the game or any other spells or anything for that matter that does not deal with combat. Also the racial abilities are a joke they have been basically watered down to once-a-day abilities. Seriously this game sucks.
  17. Fuz
    Mar 6, 2014
    Fire the guy who designed the interface. Just. Fire. Him. It's the worst interface I've ever seen. We have a mouse, non a gamepad. Apart from that, is the same game we already knew from Oblivion. Lots of bugs, pleasant graphics (but you can do better IF you don't do a straight from console porting) et cetera. If you liked Oblivion you will like this. If you couldn't stand all the little problems and annoyances like the unresponsive combat (no feedback on hits? seriously?) and the TERRIBLE enemies scaling you wouldn't like this game. I'm still waiting for a Daggerfall 2. Or a Daggerfall remake. And by the way: FIRE the guy who designed the interface. Also, the guy who approved it. Expand
  18. Feb 7, 2014
    This game is pure genius. Although not as acclaimed as the Grand Theft Auto series by critics, one can still say that this is a game worthy of playing. The game might be full of bugs, but the attention to detail in the mechanics of the game and the storyline is superb, unmatched by others in its genre. And finally, the visuals of the game are one of the best of its time, making it worthy of a masterpiece. Expand
  19. Feb 4, 2014
    A fun RPG, but I found it rather overrated. The world is beautiful, but becomes rather repetitive. Exploring began to lack some of the excitement of other RPGs I've played. Combat necessitates a lot of pausing to find the spell or item you need, I felt it could have been streamlined. Generally, it's a decent story, although some of the side quests are more interesting than the main quests. Overall, felt a bit like quantity over quality. I put in about 60 hours, finished the two main quest lines and a lot else, and I doubt I'll go back. It started to feel rather repetitive. If you like sword and magic RPGs, it's worth your time, but it may not win over doubters.

Lastly, I never had many problems with bugs other than a freeze once in awhile. Make sure to save often, and have multiple save files, just in case.
  20. Jan 30, 2014
    Skyrim is a fun game it is an RPG but its is like mincraft exept it is real life way better graphics and you could free roam you could get married and a whole lot of things i recommend it for all PS3 players
  21. Jan 24, 2014
    This game hands down is one of my all time favorite games. EVER! It's not a 10, but damn near close. The dungeons are too long, I wish there were more creativity options for characters and armor and weapons should be better at drops but all in all, love the gameplay!!
  22. Jan 20, 2014
    Most overated game ever.

NPCs were dull and wooden, i felt no empathy for any of them. Their dialogue was repetitive and boring.. definitely need to hire more voice actors next time. Their actions were repetitive and unrealistic, my biggest complaint about this game is constantly being brought back to reality by poor AI programming. The beautiful graphics & design ( yes this is an
    amazing game to look at) that immersed you into this fantasy world were undone by the inane robots that moved and slided about the place like thunderbird puppets.

The storylines were lack lustre.. I just didn't care. Sometimes less is more Bethesda, dont cram so much in and sharpen your core themes. This game had huge potential but was executed averagely.
  23. Jan 12, 2014
    This is probably the best game ever made, certainly the best game available on PS3 for sure.

The game is monstrously huge the world is vaaaast! People think GTA is big, one area in Skyrim is bigger than the entire GTA world. With a game this big the longevity is obvious, you can put in weeks and weeks of hours into the game but new places, new quests, new weapons and new skills just
    never seem to stop popping up.

I got to a certain part in the game thinking oh no I'm coming to the end of the main story line, turns out i only got about 40% done it just doesn't end (unless your unemployed and play it all day everyday) Skyrim takes you into a fantasy world where you can make your own decisions that can effect a certain outcome to a certain quest. The order in which a player completes quests also effects future quests in a certain way (NOT SPOILING!)

I wont get into the quests and story line as I don't want to spoil it for the few people that haven't played it but the landscape, the backdrop,the entire world is just beautiful. Throw in probably the best soundtracks for a video game ever made and you have an amazing experience from start to finish it just doesn't get boring. The quests are always different.

Leveling up is totally at the players discretion regarding which skills you prefer to use and which type of character you want to be. All races have different strengths and weaknesses. The ability to pick your own race and level him/her up as you wish gives the player total control over his/her character rather than the majority of games just having a bog standard character that you have little or no control over.

I luckily rarely experienced any glitches or bugs people speak about in other reviews. I have put some serious hours into Skyrim and never had any problems with it which is why I am speaking so highly of it. I guess it would be annoying if it kept breaking but I guess I got lucky. I could speak about Skyrim all day but I can't say much more without adding SPOILERS.

Best RPG game ever made hands down, best overall game ever made? Its right up there for me.

Bring on Elder Scrolls 6.

Bravo Bethesda 10/10
  24. Jan 6, 2014
    The universe of the Elder Scrolls series is so deep and colorful and it really makes the game itself deeper. However, I think that the main quest and the guild questlines could be better. They're not really as interesting as the storylines of Oblivion and Morrowind. They're too much like a traditional fantasy story, bland and uninteresting, and I don't like that.

Gameplay wise, it's an
    amazing game. The rich and detailed world of Skyrim feels almost like a real world. You can interact and be interacted by almost everything in the game. The attention to detail really is so high that I can't even describe it. You have to play it for yourself to understand. The combat isn't perfect but it still is great, and it's definitely better than in Oblivion. The only complaint I have about the gameplay are the quests. Most of the can be described like this: "go to dungeon X, take item Y and bring it to person Z." That's all the variety that you're going to get. Well, most of the time. There are a couple of quests that are unique, but they aren't really that memorable.

Yes, there are some bugs and other issues, but the worst ones have already been fixed. The frame-rate issue still exists but can only take effect if your save file goes excessively large, which can happen if you have all the DLCs and put a lot of hours into it (a lot about 150).

The graphics are a tiny bit outdated but for a 2-year-old game, they're still doing good. There are a few spots that have a scenery that makes your jaw drop. Then there's the music and I do have to say one thing: it's freaking amazing, especially the combat music for some of the boss and dragon fights. Combine an amazing scenery with a perfect song and you've got yourself something to remember for a long time. But the faces and animations of the NPCs could be better...

Overall, it's an amazing game. If you don't have it yet and you're a fan of fantasy RPGs, I strongly recommend that you buy this. Yes, there are some issues but Bethesda has done a good job of patching them up and I don't think you'll encounter anything that would ruin your experience. You won't forget this game once you've played it.
  25. Jan 6, 2014
    I have played skyrim the elder scrolls for more than 400 hours and i can say with truth in my heart that those who complain about this game are either trolls, someone who starts as soon as anything goes wrong OR! someone who have experienced a completely diffrent game than me i mean YES! it can be annoying having to wait 30 seconds for it to auto save and YES! it can be easy to complete the game oh wait except YOU CAN´T! no matter what you do there are always more quests than you can manage i mean i am in level 97 and i have more than 5 main quests and 25 side quest! for those saying oh its so easy wah wah wah THEN TURN UP THE GODDAMN DIFFUCLTY! me in level 97 with the best armor and 450 health still die as soon as i turn it up to normal you only have to be unconsentrated for 15 seconds before all of your health is gone because some of the wizards in this game are pretty OP! I still discover new places in skyrim and that says a lot! the skill system is okay meaning that to upgrade you magic skills you have to be a wizard! not meant as skyrim has classes but it takes so long to upgrade your magic (and weapon skills that you have to use em a lot not like in other games where you can use em once in a while and still become pretty OP at magic just because you use a couple of health spells here its something you build up over many hours until you have a truly good wizard or warrior of course you can mix the two for example using weapons when running out of magicka or using health spells as a warrior etc etc. what i love about this game is the huge area you can play in with all the random encounters and all the story yes it may experience bugs like brynjolf not appearing in the theives guild tavern but that does not matter! there are so many other quest that you forget that one miss that happended i mean with all the dungeon space its proberly as big as GTA V! what i´m trying to say is BUY THE GODDAMN GAME! you won´t regret it! and the only reason i don´t give this game 400.000.000 is that there are no multiplayer/co-op something they are fixing right now! (elder scrolls online) and most likely making the whole experience even better! Expand
  26. Jan 4, 2014
    still one of my favourite games i've ever played. its given me 200 hours of pure entertainment. don't listen to the bad ratings that's mainly because of the bugs that plagued this game at first but theyve long fixed them. A must buy for any gamer
  27. Jan 3, 2014
    skyrim has a massive world thats a blast to explore. your never more than a few steps away from something to do. the game also has A LOT of dungeons and each one offers a great challenge (especially the boss at the end of each dungeon). one of my favourite things about this game is how you level up specific aspects and abilities of your character instead of just a standard level up system. the game also has an amazing atmosphere and soundtrack. my only problems with the game are that it has LOTS of pop in, lag and loading screens. Expand
  28. Jan 2, 2014
    great character customization nice loot i love the interactions between races and how it changes depending on your race and the dlcs alone are worth a purchase
  29. Dec 14, 2013
    This is truly the best game i have ever owned. I have over 150hrs of play time, it never ends. Yes the graphics aren't to good on ps3/Xbox 360. But trust me you will not be disappointed.
  30. Dec 9, 2013
    Skyrim on the PS3 is held back by its technical issues. At launch Skyrim was unplayable for a lot of PS3 users, but most reviews didn't take this into account since the lag only kicked in after several hours of play.

Patch 1.9 took care of some of the performance issues a year later but many are still there, including stuttering and low framerates in some areas. There's not much point
    in creating a huge world full of interesting quests if technical issues make it unplayable.

Bethesda said before release that the PS3 version was "getting lots of attention" and that the old issues had been fixed because it was running on a new engine. Looking back on it now it doesn't seem like this was true. Hopefully Bethesda will take more care with their future games on PS3 and PS4.
  31. Dec 2, 2013
    A staggering wealth of content that never overwhelms, since you're led by the gentle hands of all the wonderful quests. I must have played Skyrim for 50 hours now, and never once did I want it to 'end soon'.. the ending of the main quests left me in awe. The mystery drew me in from the first minutes and remains there as I have yet to discover several larger locations including major cities. This game is an incredible artistical achievement, and you'll be in the hero's shoes, living it for a while. I cannot in any way give less than 9/10 to such a beautiful night sky. To all those characters and places, stories and adventures. But I can't give a perfect 10 either, as the puzzles get reused a lot throughout the game, and there were several consistency errors to break the immersion (sleeping for 10 hours in-game to find everyone doing the exact thing they were doing as you went to bed... instruments appearing and disappearing out of the blue, a quite early 'skill ceiling' where you feel you don't get empowered so much anymore etc). But I simply can't give less than 9 to that virtual magic. Expand
  32. Nov 28, 2013
    I want to give Skyrim a 10. It is the definitive adventure game of this generation, creating an unrivaled sense of immersion and a world that feels believable without the prescience of your character. Skyrim is a living breathing world with living breathing people, an accomplishment little to no games can boast. It provides limitless entertainment, giving me 200 hours of worth of content and I'm still not even close to finishing all the side missions and quests. But there is one fatal flaw to Bestheda's latest gem: bugs. Lots and lots of bugs. I usually disregard glitches in games. If it doesn't affect the overall experience, such as a texture glitch or the occasional entrapment in a wall or pillar, it doesn't really matter. However, Skyrim possesses many glitches that make quests unbeatable, as well as cause game-ruining glitches that make some of the major missions impossible to complete. With all that said, is the PS3 version of Skyrim a good game worth buying?
    The story is your typical hero story. You are a hero named Dragonborn who the prophecies foretold to help defeat an evil dragon named Alduin and prevent the entire Nordic race from being wiped out by the return of the dragons. However, the greatest part of Skyrim is the fact that you don't have to follow any narrative or predetermined plot structure. This is YOUR story, and you can do whatever you want. There are seven major story lines in total, meaning that instead of fighting the dragons, you can completely ignore your destiny and join a Thieves Guild or a Dark Brotherhood of assassins. All of these main quests are memorable in their own way, introducing you to a plethora of new characters that all leave their mark on you throughout the adventure. Betrayals are common, allies die in seconds, and all of Skyrim is up to date on your escapades. You couldn't imagine when a trader in Riften congratulated me on my promotion to the group of do-good era known as the Companions in Whiterun, even though the two cities are miles and miles apart. It's amazing how real the game can feel, ranging from the perfect reactions to a murder (all of the guards coming quickly to the scene and even shooting first if you are a notorious criminal) to the anger a family feels when they intrude into their house after hours.
    Along with all of these high notes, every aspect of the gameplay feels great and rewarding. You level up on how often you use a skill, rewarding you for your persistence and recognizing which skills you value over others instead of making a decision right at the start of the game. In any other RPG, I'd likely have to choose between a warrior or a Mage immediately, without having an opportunity to test out both skills effectively. Also, trading and crafting spice up the hiatus between dungeon exploration and world traveling. You can craft your own weapons, which become more advanced the more you level up your skills with blacksmithing, and add magical perks on top of them, which is also self-acquired throughout the adventure in dungeons. These dungeons are also enjoyable, each of the several hundred feeling fresh and rarely repetitive due to the quests linked with each one. In a sense, you build yourself up from nothing into the hero everyone expects you to be. But in another sense, you live a life. 100 hours into the game, I reflected back on my journey as I sat on a tower chair, staring up at a beautiful starry night. I defeated Alduin in an epic battle. I inherited the Dark Brotherhood and became part werewolf. I also found love, marrying my housecarl and settling down in a large house in Solitude. However, on one quest, she died suddenly and I buried her where she was slain, forced to push onwards. As I stared up at the stars, I realized how far I had come in my life as the Dragonborn, and how far still I had left to go. This stands as one of the most beautiful moments I've experienced in any video game.
    Despite all of this overwhelming praise I have and an unbridled spirit of adventure to describe, I can't ignore the bugs that lower this game's likability and nearly ruin the experience altogether. First off, during one quest, in the city of Markath, I aided a group of bloodthirsty outcasts to escape a prison. The game glitched during this quest and now I can no longer enter this city without dozens of guards ganging up on me demanding me to go back to the prison from which I escaped. When I try to negotiate, the conversation loops forever until I have no other choice but refuse, leading to a fight with an overwhelming amount of guards. In short, all of the missions involving Markath were rendered unplayable, which really detracted from the game. Also, about 50 hours into the game, I noticed that the game began to lag. Due to Skyrim's awkward save system, the game becomes laggy and almost unplayable after saving 50 hours into the game. The game runs much slower after this point, replacing the smooth animations and gameplay with near immobility. One time I literally stared at a screen for 3 minutes mid-game just to wait for my character to take one swing at a dragon. Once the screen reaches its limit, the game loses its immersion and becomes extremely annoying to play.
    Overall, Skyrim could have been one of the best PS3 games ever made. Everything is there: perfect immersion, an amazing sense of progression and individuality with a story that revolves around you and you alone, and gameplay that allows you to build yourself up into one of Skyrim's greatest heroes. However, bugs and glitches bring this down, a dark stain on an otherwise flawless experience. Although the PC version is a much cleaner version that for the most part fixes these problems, Skyrim for the PS3 is a great adventure that everyone should experience, transcending its flaws in order to provide one of the most memorable RPGs in recent memory.

8.8/10
  33. Nov 26, 2013
    I find it ridiculous that people have given this game a ZERO just because of its bugs. The only other justifying reason for saying this game is bad is that the combat is somewhat mellow. It really depends on your taste, and besides, it can get really frantic at times. The bugs aren't unforgiving, but they are somewhat understandable. Games this size normally have their fair share and Skyrim is no exception. Frankly, the shear content is enough to sell this game. Firstly, the map is HUMONGOUS. Not only that, but it's also fun to explore and there is plenty of quests to urge you TO explore it. There's normally something close to where you are, be it a temple or a village, each with something interesting in them. That's the thing with Skyrim, you never know what you're going to get. A house could have in it a chest filled with loot or a group of skeletons.

There's a real sense of adventure in every quest and in just exploring the map. That's the beauty of Skyrim, and any Elder Scrolls for that matter: a quest might want you to kill a certain bandit or monster... but you could just as easily walk 50 miles in the opposite direction, place a basket on a dog's head and then kill it. It's very rare for a game to evoke such a sense of freedom. Many a quest will offer some way of going off the path. You could help an NPC through a dungeon, only to be told he is carrying a priceless artefact and you are given the option to kill him. There's just so much to do: craft a weapon, buy a house, get married, go on a quest, become thane of a province, the list goes on. It's one of those games that will take completionists hundreds of hours to do everything there is to do. If anything, it's well worth the money.

However urgent the main story quest at the point seems, you can always forget about it for a few days and spend your time doing other things. However, the storyline is amazing. The idea makes you feel epic: you are what is known as dragonborn, half man half dragon, and you are literally the only one that can stop the dragons from destroying all of Tamriel. It truly is the end of days... if you cannot do anything about it. This is exactly the right setup for a game of this setting. The world truly feels in danger; dragons attack villages and castles all the time. These battles are truly a visual spectacle, but you can eventually learn a dragon's movements fairly easily. That said, it never really gets old to see a dragon crash to the ground leaving a huge trench of dirt as they skid across the ground. The ending is great, but the final boss is a bit easy. I would recommend, if you are a high level, to bump up the difficulty.

Overall, there's no reason a fan of RPGs, or simply video games, would not enjoy this. I ended sinking so many hours into Skyrim and was happy to do so! I urge you to get this game. You owe it to yourself if you own a console or decent PC. And, don't you go stealing anybody's sweet roll, now!
  34. Nov 26, 2013
    Take this from someone who owns both the PC and PS3 version. If you own a PC and can confirm that it can run Skyrim, then I highly recommend purchasing the PC version over the PS3.

PC Pros:
    - Improved graphics and overall game performance
    - Ability and access to a large community modding library
    - Hot keys (SERIOUSLY IMPORTANT)
    PC Cons:
    - The cost of a PC. (usually high than a PS3)
  35. Nov 17, 2013
    Let me get this straight, this is the PS3 version of the game, and you troglodyte's are posting the reviews of the PC? I am going to be as honest as possible, but The Elder Scrolls V deserves nothing it is getting. This game is a masterpiece, and what do we have to expect from Bethesda Game Studios, just pure excellence. The graphics are simply gorgeous, leaving me speechless even after a year and 450+ hours of gameplay. The fighting is damn good, I should add. The game doesn't give me quite a scare as Fallout 3 did, but that is more of a gripe than a complaint, nor is it gory at all, another gripe. The achievement of finding something unique in such a vast world is so fulfilling that any gamer could enjoy, unlike the Call of Duty franchise where you can just step right in and have fun, you really need to build and build and build onto your character and constantly explore, because the experience just keeps getting better and better. Now we just have to wait for Fallout 4 to come out! Expand
  36. Oct 29, 2013
    There is a wide variety of possible quests that you can complete, and the gameplay and storyline is great. The few bugs that I ran into didn't ruin the game for me. I am a mainly PC gamer, so I enjoyed this more than most console games.
  37. Oct 29, 2013
    Uhm... I put 9 as a score for this games because it is an awesome game! Graphics: awesome (but some errors that can be solved.. but anyway neve rmind!) Dose it addict you? YES, but only at the very beginning.. when you go on with the missions and you've finished the story it's boring... there's not anything else that can addict you even more than the beginning of the game.. Bethesda game studios.. have to improve quite a lot of things... THERE ARE BUGS.. oh my god.. a lot of bugs.. Bethesda can solve them in a minute.
    Anyway I can't wait for TES VI (if there will be)
  38. Oct 27, 2013
    I like Skyrim, I really do. But for me Bethesda has failed in what could have been one of the great games of our time. I have put a lot of hours into Skyrim and best way to describe this game is “It’s a big as an ocean but contains less fish then a pond”. Such a massive environment but every dungeon is the same, every puzzle is too simple and pointless, every enemy is the same just looks a bit different, every NPC sounds the same 80% percent of NPCs have an American accent, no offence but British accents would have made much more sense. Food is pointless, alchemy is pathetic unless it’s maxed and even then it’s a kind of pointless cause by the time you’re that high a level you’ll be picking up Ultimate Health and Regeneration Potions, I guess in saying that blacksmithing is pointless too, there’s no need to make ebony or glass weapons and amours cause you’re just bound to pick it up from a chest. Skyrim’s a country set in another world yet contains Mammoths, wolfs, sabre-tooths, bears, foxes, spiders, rabbits, deer’s, fish and crabs which all can be found on Earth (Mammoths, sabre-tooths are extinct), beside the trolls there’s no unreal animal which I find really stupid. The only spells that are useful are destruction or restoration ones, I guess conjuration can be useful at times but Illusion and Alteration just piss me of. Why would I use a spell the makes enemies flee only to comeback 15 seconds later to attack me, I guess I could chase them but in doing so I’ll just run into more enemies then I’ll be out numbered. Or I could make an enemy “Calm” but as soon as I decide you kill him he’ll attack me right back. Alteration spells like candle or mage light does nothing as the game is always well lit. Even shouts are pointless, use a powerful shout and wait two minutes before you can use another one, in the meantime just run around and hope you don’t get killed. Gold is as well, the only things I did with my gold was to buy a house and to pay of my bounties. I never spent a cent on that I knew I’ll just find later. But the biggest fault about this game is the entire story. Don’t get me started on that. Expand
  39. Oct 5, 2013
    How did they do this? I developed my character the way I wanted and the gameplay stayed balanced and challenging till the awesome conclusion, shame they released a poor version at first, that Nintendo like quality control is becoming rare on consoles. One of the most vast, entertaining games ever made.
  40. Oct 3, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I’m going to start this review by saying one thing, I am NOT a TES fanboy I have never played an elder scrolls game besides skyrim. I’ve had this game just over a year and a half and so far have played and completed every quest line, daedric quest, and many side misc. quests on 7 different characters and played for over 3000 hours and still haven't got bored and I still haven't discovered everything in this game, just yesterday I found a new dungeon and a new follower. This game is massive and doesn’t restrict any playstyle, you could run around and kill anything you see you could buy a house and line the walls with books (in the hearthfire dlc it also adds children you can adopt) or you could join the companions and become a werewolf. the main questline is possibly one of the best story’s in games however it can be poorly executed at times for example, the long booring cut-scene after reading the elder scroll (there are very few cutscenes in this game but the ones that are there can be annoying). the side storylines in skyrim are also very interesting, some as much or even more so than the main questline (like the dark brotherhood questline or the dlcs) the daedric side quest are also very interesting and some are very strange (like the hangover spoof mission). there are many bugs and glitches in skyrim however i have never found a game breaking one or one that ruined my overall experience

final opinion:
    this game is far from perfect, however the size and overall experience of the game make it my favourite game of all time
  41. Oct 2, 2013
    BROKEN.That is all you can really say about skyrim on the ps3....now to be honest it is a really good game it's so big and so open so much for you to do in this great world....FOR ABOUT 4 HOURS then it starts lagging and crashing (witch can f*ck up your ps3) there is a reason why this isnt a 0.Because they did actually patch after many f*cking months but its still lagging a hell of alot.I cant rate this game higher on the playstation. Expand
  42. Sep 29, 2013
    I really loved my skyrim experience. I recommend it to anyone looking too have no life for a few months. hahaha but seriously this game is really fun, Its the ultimate fantasy rpg. do you want to be a sword wielding warrior, or a sneaky archer thief, how about a duel casting fire mage, well you can be it all in skyrim. you get to kill dragons and trolls and giants. you literally spend a day climbing to the top of a mountain and get to see absolutely spectacular graphics. Cool choose you own adventure type story line. tons and tons of side quests that add so many hours to the game. really fun collecting items and getting cool weapons and armor, fun to learn to craft potions and enchant your items. for under 20$ this game is one of the best ways to bring back current day nostalgia of early final fantasy games, Expand
  43. Sep 27, 2013
    i really hate this game. for one, it's too easy. the only way it'll be challenging is at master difficulty. the melee combat feels like i'm slicing at air instead of enemies. the dragon fights, while at first are awesome, soon happens often enough to feel more annoying than cool. the story is kind of interesting, but ironically, the side quests are more well done than the main plot. on top of all that the game lags A LOT. the spells are alright, but the only part of the game i think is good, is the archery, but it takes a little while to get good. the graphics are also beautiful, but that's meaningless when the majority of the game is bad. Expand
  44. Sep 19, 2013
    C'est moche, y a des bugs de partout, un monde ouvert WHAAA un MONDE OUVERT OU y a rien... les combat pas épique pour deux sous, des animation de combat mais y a 2 a l'épée!! coup vertical et coup horizontal!! l'histoire ce contredit, et la difficulté fait peine a voir.On s ennuis mais avec c'est dragons en carton qui meurt alors qu'on frappe comme un débile a 1métre de la patte du dragon qui...fait rien pour te tuer de toute façon..voila 0/10 Expand
  45. Sep 19, 2013
    Great Game to play. However lacks all of the additional add-ons of Xbox why?? Random battle dragons everywhere add a sense of danger to the game wherever you go and i don't know why people are giving this game a 0. It should be higher then that considering how much u get in the actual game. But i hate how they pay no attention to the ps3 version. They haven't updated it ever and there are a bunch of glitch and bugs in the game. They should focus on the ps3 version as much as the Xbox. I heard from friends that the Xbox version is a lot better WTF. Seriously focus more on the PS3 and it will get a 10/10 at least frome me.(I got the game to work first Time) Expand
  46. Aug 31, 2013
    What the why are people hating THIS game. Skyrim is awesome!!!!! Yes it might have a lot of bugs, but the game has about 4 auto save-files, so you can go back to before the bug started. And all the great content in this game is just too good, despite the bugs. Even people I know who don’t like RPG games love Skyrim. (Sorry for bad spelling/ grammar)
  47. Aug 28, 2013
    It's the most addicting PS3 game I've ever played. It occasionally freezes, but I haven't noticed any other bugs like others have mentioned. Leveling up and trying to get all your stats to high levels are really fun. Kinda reminds me of when I used to play Final Fantasy Tactics and tried to unlock all the job classes for my main character. I've already put 50 hours into this game and can easily see myself putting in another 50-100 hours. Expand
  48. Aug 28, 2013
    Skyrim is an rpg game with huge content, vast world, nice character development, beautiful environments and much more. It's an epic adventure in the northern lands of Tamriel full of battles, quests, exploration, and interaction with npc's. You will have to spend hundreds of hours playing this game in order to do everything. The rpg elements are satisfying and will keep you playing for hours trying to level-up your character and searching for better equipment. But it's not everything perfect because Skyrim like any other game has some flaws. First of all the inventory is a real mess: it's difficult to navigate making inventory management a difficult task. Inventory management is also difficult for more reasons than just it's difficult navigation. Imagine this situation: you've just cleared a big dungeon and returned to the town full of loot. Of course you're not going to need every single thing you found so you decide to sell a part of it. So you enter a shop, loading screen, you speak to the merchant, you navigate the horrible inventory, you start selling things but most of the time the merchant isn't going to have enough money to buy all of your things. So you exit the shop, loading screen, you fast travel to another town, loading screen, you enter another store, loading screen again and you follow the same procedure all over again until you've sold everything you want. I've played around 140 hours this game and I bet that at least 40 of these were spent on inventory management. For me this is the bigger flaw of the game and the main reason I don't give it a perfect 10. There are some minor flaws as well like some bugs and glitches, little frame rate problems, a little blurry graphics for the ps3 version, generic voice acting which is normal for a game of this scale, dragons being easier enemies than you would expect etc. Also combat is difficult with the ps3 analog sticks and i would like an aim-assist technique which would prevent my powerful spells which consume half of my mana striking the wall instead of the enemy. I have to admit that I played the patched version of the game so I didn't encounter the game-breaking bugs found before the 1.4 patch so I didn't include them on my review. Anyway despite it's flaws I highly recommend Skyrim to everyone because it's a game that you will play for months every day discovering something new about it. Expand
  49. Aug 23, 2013
    EPIC if u liked Oblivion then u will love this game, There is sooooo much to do I have played it for about 180 hours and there is still so much more for me to do, the story is great (better than Oblivion in my opinion) The graphics are good and there is a massive difference if u use a HDMI cable, can be quite qlitchy at some points but none that ruins the game! I defo recommend it, AMAZING GAME!!!!!!
    DragonBorn out..... ^_^
  50. Aug 17, 2013
    Skyrim is one of the best games out at the moment and I am quite shocked at some peoples reviews of this. Granted that the game is a little bit bugged but its certainly not to the extent some people claim, I personally find it quite humerous watching a mammoth fly through the air and then falling ot its death for some easy and valuable items you can take off it. Moving on though, Skyrim is a gorgeous Roleplay game which drags you into your greatest gaming fantasy where a whole entire wortld is open to you and everything about the design, style and even the ingame music is just breathtaking. Apart from the odd bug the game really is fun and I cannot recommend it enough. 9/10 Expand
  51. Aug 15, 2013
    That amount of haters is not normal. I'm actually playing this and I have to say, this is a jewel. The length of the game is almost infinite, the map is huge and very open. I can find the atmosphere of magic I haven't seen in a game for years. Is it true that since level 35-40 you start to notice a bit of lag, but of course nothing unberable. Not my favourite game ever, but top 2. I really liked it. Expand
  52. Aug 10, 2013
    Skyrim is one of the best open world RPG's of all time. If you're a TES The Elder Scrolls fan you will love this game. If you've never played a TES game before but you like RPG's chances are you will like this game. You don't have to have played any of the previous TES games to understand this game or to fully enjoy it. You create your own character from scratch, You can choose a race from 10 different playable races. They all have their own abilities but you can play whatever way you like with any one of them. You can do whatever you want, however you want, whenever you want. Of course there is a main story you're Dragonborn a prophesied hero born into the world in a time of civil war and a time when dragons have come back. You can fight the dragons and find out why they have come back and what your purpose is, You can join either side in the civil war and there are also numerous other factions in which you can join. If you like being an assassin you can join the dark brotherhood a group of assassins, If you like to be a thief you can join a thief's guild, If you like Magic there is a Mage's guild, If you like fighting in combat there is a fighter's guild The companions They all have their own main story and many side stories as well. Skyrim has many, many side stories and you will be able to put hundreds of hours into this game before you even come close to completing it.

The graphics are very, very good, The combat and magic is solid and enjoyable, The music is phenomenal and if you like to get lost within another world in Skyrim you can do just that. The game did come originally with glitches, frame rate drops, freezing and some other problems. But since then they have all been patched and the game runs near perfect now.

So in conclusion if you want a game where you can be whoever you want to be and do whatever you want to do that also has a good story, lots to do, with good graphics, gameplay mechanics and you like RPG's/Action adventure games Skyrim is an absolute must buy. It got game of the year and well deserved.
  53. Jul 31, 2013
    In my opinion one of the best games ever. This game feels great, looks great and has a fantastic open world atmosphere. A must buy for any fan of roll playing games or Bethesda games in general.
  54. Jul 28, 2013
    Game seemed unfinished and lazily thought out. Quests were short and easy, and the the lack of customization made game boring. I wanted a full rpg experience but didn't get one. Oblivion content wise was better.
  55. Jul 26, 2013
    I know this is very late, but I had just played skyrim recently. I'm gonna make this review on a pros and cons type to make this short so I hope you guys can enjoy. Pros: -Very big map, takes you approximately one hour to make it to the other side of the map -A lot of quests, too many to complete - Graphics are unbelievably beautiful - Soundtrack is addicting - Very flexible skill system, can switch from one to another easily
    - Dragons are exciting to fight
    - Sneak attacks are awesome
    - can take up to more than 100 hours of gameplay which is worth the money that you pay
    - dungeon puzzles are very fun to play

Cons:
    - Few voice actors
    - Lots of bugs and glitches, even after updates
    - Freezes from time to time
    - Renders slowly
    - Shouts are discouraging to use, because some are just resisted and can only use one per fight scaring you to use the other less useful but more interesting shouts
    - Few armor variation
    - Few types of enemies, I feel like this game should have had more enemies with the size of this map rather than just bandits and wolves all the time.
    - AI mounts & followers are sometimes stupid, they attack when you are sneaking which is annoying
    - what you do mostly doesn't affect the game

even though there are more cons than pros, don't be discouraged. This game is amazing and very fun to play. I would recommend it if you are a RPG fan because it really is worth it.
  56. Jul 25, 2013
    I just bought the Legendary Edition, at this point the only worth buying. this game is a breath-taking experience that immerses you in a world you beautiful, so complete and full of wonder that you can only stand in awe. One of the top ten must have games of this generation! A must for every gamer in the WORLD!

If you buy the pc version, you can get the super duper HD graphics pack but
    the console version feels slightly better for the sole purpose of the gaming experience, but that's just me, I like the overall console gaming more than overall pc gaming.

I have both the pc and the ps3 versions and there's no other game I find more re-playable and full of subtleties that makes it different every time. For the international gamer, such as myself, a word of advice, play it in english, I don't know about other translations but the spanish version is good but the original is slightly better. I would not say is bad or not encourage you to play it, but it just feels a little less brilliant, but that's just me nitpicking.
  57. Jul 17, 2013
    Summary +Very interesting quest +Massive amount of good quality content +Improvements over Oblivion +Great Graphics (at the time) -In some places the gameplay feels static -Some things that have been taken from Oblivion when they shouldn’t have been. -The difficulty spikes. -Bugs In short I would urge you to buy this game now. Unfortunately, though I haven’t played any of the games DLC, from what I have read the DLC content doesn’t other much, so unless you are a major fan, I would avoid spending money on that stuff.

Full Review (I could go about this game for ages but unfortunately metacritic have a 5000 character limit, so if I miss out anything you wanted to know about I am sorry)
    One of the great things amount Skyrim is the sheer amount of game content, which at times can feel overwhelming. I mean I played over 200hours (I know I am sad but I am getting help) and still didn’t complete every side activity quest etc. However unlike in a lot of RPGs where such levels of content are research by padding like fetch quests, in Skyrim while fetch quests are present, most quests are interesting and feel unique to each other. In particularly the quests for the companions which lead you to become a werewolf are exciting. Such vast content is enhanced by the sheer hugeness of game, with its massive map with locations being numerous, and each being interesting. This in combination with the introduction of dragons which are awesome (tough they can get a bit annoying after a while), and an interesting story of you being a rebel or empire supporter and dragonborn, makes for a great game. As far as I can see the only real problem with this is how it can get overwhelming, e.g. sometimes you will go on a quest an in the hour it takes you to complete it you will get 5 new one to complete, though that isn’t a majorly bad thing.

The next thing worth discussing is the improvements over Oblivion. The most obvious improvement (apart from graphics) is the ability to dual wield magic. This helps to increase the level of tension in combat as it allows you to cast spells while attacking with melee weapons, without the attacks being interpreted as they were in Oblivion. Other improvements include the levelling up system, because you can use points to unlock abilities e.g. the ability to create dragon armour. This enhances the RPG elements, because in Oblivion the upgrades are won with the increasing of skills, there is no choice over what skills you unlock. However unfortunately they did take some things out of Oblivion that will be missed. The obvious one is the arena which in Oblivion helped you settle into the game; in Skyrim the arena is gone. Another thing missing from Oblivion is how in Oblivion you could fast travel to all cities from the start, which helped making exploring more enjoyable. In Skyrim you have to spend ages unlocking every city individual by traveling to them. However this is largely nit picking because they haven’t removed so much features it is a major blow to the overall quality of the game.

Unfortunately they are major aspects of the game I am not sure about.

This first is the emphasis on magic, making it over powered. This is an annoyance if you are like me and you prefer melee, because I found that enemies would just shoot ice spikes at you draining your stamina, making you a sitting duck in a whole heap of However this isn’t such a bad thing because the nature of the game makes it easier to use both magic and melee, making it more of a tactical game. Certainly more so than Oblivion where you either charged in or keep you’re distant and cast spells.

The second major thing that I struggle to defend is that of the massive difficulty spikes. It is so annoying how often you will breeze through a location without dying once, then you get to like a mini-boss, and he kills you with two hits. This is why I would advise saving often to avoid having to go through the BS again. While some claim this is an improvement over Oblivion I disagree, because in Oblivion while enemies levelled up with you it meant you could control the difficulty by deciding that you level up to make it more difficulty. In Skyrim that freedom is removed.

The third issue is the story. It is fairly predictable and surprisingly forgettable. I think is this largely because the fact you are dragonborn in the game doesn’t add much to the combat as the shouts feel more like an average spell. This means that when the blades place all emphasis on your character, you don’t feel that much more powerful than them. That said the numerous side missions more than make up for the story.

The final major annoyance is how this game is notorious for bugs. I have to say I didn’t experience any myself until I got to about 50hours in them the game froze a few times. However this is no major issue because the bugs don’t make the game unplayable as some claim, and aren’t enough to remove all the positive aspects of the game.
  58. Jul 7, 2013
    Most overrated game of all, a lot of bugs, the pc version is great, the 360 good, and the ps3 version is like crap!
    -Big and imersive world
    -good graphics
    -A lot to do
    -Bugs, bugs everywere
    -no striking character
    -poor story
  59. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best and worst games ever. The best because the gameplay, story and sheer size is epic. The worst because eventually it becomes so laggy and frustrating that it's almost unplayable. Luckily I was able to complete most of the quests and story lines before that happened.
  60. Jun 5, 2013
    This is as fair as I can make it, people.

Performance:
    I've played both the PC and the Playstation 3 versions of this game, owning the latter. I bought the game within two weeks after its release, and have logged well over 300 hours in the time that's gone by. In all this time, I have not once experienced a glitch, aside from the fortify restoration loop and the merchant chests, these
    being more a pair of minor, easily avoidable bugs than of frustrating or game breaking glitches. Lag occurs occasionally (less often with the 1.9 patch), but normally lasts only a minute or two. Loading times are longer than they should be however, even in relatively small areas such as indoor shops.

Value:
    This game is easily the most economic buy out there. Going through the main story, guild, faction, and daedric quests easily adds up to over a hundred hours of playing time; In terms of money, easily less than a dollar per playing hour.

Writing:
    Come with an appetite for lore.

The plots for most of the main and side story quests are very entertaining. I suggest playing this game for its stories as much as for the perks and leveling system. And I especially suggest taking on the thieve's guild, the companions', and the civil war quests early on, as they will emerse you in the lore of the world almost as much as the main story.

Visuals:
    Many sneer at Skyrim's muted color palette. So much so, that they forget to look up and see the beautiful distant mountain peaks and treelined horizons. They forget to pause and look at the shrubs and flowers. They've never peered over one of Skyrim's tumbling waterfalls. And they fail to connect the province's bleak color scheme with its equally bleak state of affairs. The game is set in the Province of Skyrim, a half-frozen wasteland subject to the will of demons and unhappy gods, which is without a King and in the state of civil war. Were people expecting sunshine, rainbows, and rain forests?

Gameplay:
    Leveling up is addictive and requires strategy in order to succeed on higher difficulties. Combat has improved since Oblivion, but still can grow repetitive after a while, largely because many of the enemies have a similar attack pattern (that is to say, none really). Alchemy and Enchanting add a great deal of fun to the game. Exploration is the single best aspect of this game, as Skyrim's map is literally miles wide, and is filled to the brim with secrets, interesting scenery, and places to discover.
  61. May 16, 2013
    an amazing game that you need to buy no matter what i have about 300 hours of gameplay and counting i believe that explains everthing buy it but if you dont have it yet just wait for the complete edition which has all the dlc's
  62. Apr 29, 2013
    Skyrim leaves the lasting impression that it truly will be a game that doesn’t end, a never ending story if you will, and it creates the sort of vibrant world that you know will continue to exist even after you have decided to no longer take part in its wondrous offerings of freedom and fantasy.
    The most surreal thing about playing such an expansive and sprawling world is the fact that
    while playing it, I truly wanted to get lost in this realm of Tamriel, whether it was pacing through the snow in Winterhold or standing atop the waterfall-laden city of Markarth, there is such an endless amount of sight-seeing and exploration to be had in this game before you even consider the stories being told.
    Without delving too much into the main quest, simply because there are that many side missions and stories that it seems unfair to dwell, your character is in fact a Dragonborn, and of course dragons seem to have returned to Skyrim for unknown reasons, and you are tasked with finding out the nature of their visit, but also try and heal relations between The Imperials and the Stormcloak rebellion. But of course our own Dragonborn must deal with everything else that he is being tasked with around this fast land.
    Whether you are learning a ‘Dragon Shout” or simply taking out your sword for close combat, the opportunities are endless as to what can be achieved in the remarkable game.
    As our hero is tasked with these shouts, which enable him to reach into the very soul of the dragons and basically use their powers, clear the sky of a storm, create a thunderstorm, breathe fire or even call a fallen soldier to your aid, these are all options, and that is only shouts, not magic. Magic can be used through Ice, Lightning or even Fire, whether your’e simply wanting to inflame a wolf who is giving you grief or go to extreme lengths and try to take down a dragon, the supernatural means are all on offer.
    The customisation of your character is indeed endless, after picking from a vast array of races, you can begin upgrading your character with anything you can get your hands on.
    Walk around in a simple rag if you want to, or why not join the Thieves Guild, work your way up and possess the fantastic Nightingale armour, or even steal the clothing from an Imperial guard, along with his gold, a key to his chest or even a house.
    But why stop there? Why not buy your very own property? Kit it out with whatever is on offer and even store all your baggage that you don’t want to sell or get rid of but simply cannot carry it anymore. The game truly offers another life for you to take control of and do as you see fit.
    But of course a game this vast and sprawling doesn’t come without its own baggage, and unfortunately this fifth entry into the Elder Scrolls universe is not without its problems. In terms of gameplay, the movement itself of NPCs and yourself still aren’t on par with games of the same generation, and the combat is in the most sincere way, woeful. Bethesda still cannot seem to incorporate a workable and enjoyable style of hand to hand combat without it looking tired and annoying, shields and swords are heavily upgradeable, but I found myself managing to come into possession of a wonderful sword, but equipping it to one hand with a fireball spell on the other, the motion of fighting is still very dark-age looking and should be given more time to improve upon. The game does also come with gltiches a plenty, and while some are just plain hilarious (getting thrown 100 feet in the air simply by falling from my horse) most are frustrating to the point of having to restart the console or last save game.
    But these little inklings aside, Skyrim itself is just bursting with untainted beauty. Staring out at the glaciers in the distance, sure just go for a walk to them and bathe in the environment around you, there is the best chance that you will encounter a side mission that just might sound interesting, retrieve a book from a derelict cave or go and do the bidding of a god. When this much detail goes into a game, it would just be insulting not to give it a try, with epic needing to be used in every sentence about this wonderful fantasy, it truly is one of the best games to ever grace a console, and will be enough to keep many occupied for a long time to come.
  63. Apr 29, 2013
    Probably the best money I have ever spent on entertainment/relaxation. This game incorporates so many different elements and investments of time that it suited any mood I was in. Whether ready for a long involved quest with story, discovery and challenge, or just a 15-20 minute easy adventure this is the perfect game.
    The enormous scope of variety and discovery makes this game never get
    old.

However! Even though I gave the GAME itself 10 points, the Playstation version should probably only get a 7 due to the number of bugs and amount of time sitting around waiting for loading. But I didn't have it in me to give it a lower score.
  64. Apr 19, 2013
    Post Patch 1.9 Review
    The stability bugs experienced by Skyrim players since launch are well documents so I thought I would make my first review a look at Skyrim with the cure-all patch 1.9 installed.
    Unfortunately, Stability is still an issue. I have found as many instances of the game hanging at loading screens and in transitionary areas of the map as I had previously. The frame-rate
    seems to suffer in the same places too; particularly when large amounts of bodies are present on screen. For instance, after escaping the prison at the very beginning of the game, the game judders significantly as you journey to Riverwood, perhaps in response to the high concentration of plush and exotic plant life littering the landscape. Similarly a room of skeletons near the end of a certain underwater fort causes awful slowdown.

Graphically, the seam-joining bugs that appeared a year ago are still present. Heads and necks do not meet up on 63% of the NPCs. This started to occur when a previous update changed the way Weight modelled the character, for now there are only four settings in character creation which give the player character a 'joined up' look. As all the NPCs are created from the same templates, they do not benefit from the inspection you can give to your own avatar prior to launching the game. Failing to pick one of the four safe weights and the result is at best a flickering around the neckline, and at worst a void into which the far-distance background can be seen. There are also colour mismatches between head and body; equally immersion-breaking for those with full colour vision, I'm sure.

Quest bugs are still present too. For instance, being sent to Yngol Barrow for the Helm of Winterhold will still remove the Helm of Yngol and cause the dungeon to be un-clearable; I've become accustomed to quest bugs foibles to the degree that I usually avoid them without thinking, yet I am still tripped by the likes of that above. Blood on the Ice is still buggy and I start every new game by travelling to Windhelm and waiting for the quest to start, then waiting longer to finish it; and all because some random NPC is not marked essential and a dragon or vampire attack will start a butterfly effect which will rob me of my favourite house some hours down the line.

The inclusion of the Legendary difficulty setting finally settles the argument about playing on Master being for the hardcore players only. Legendary is impossible to play on from the start of the campaign, I started this way and was two-shotted by the first soldier I encountered.
    However, on a much more advanced save, I was able to thrive on Legendary. In that save, I'd maxed all my equipment and the game was no longer challenging. I'd played on Master throughout the game and struggled through the early parts until I could make the game easy. After 30 hours of play I was then able to play as if I was still on Adept difficulty; what is the point of that, really? The inclusion of Legendary smacks of only one thing, poor balancing, and only useful to min/maxers who broke the game by becoming too powerful. Moreover, game balancing should be the domain of the developer, not something to outsource to the player. I don't want to ask myself "how often should I die?" For me, balancing makes the difference between a game being 'a virtual interactive world' and 'a competitive and fun form of recreation'.

Lastly, I know a lot of people were upset about the removal of a certain glitch which enabled players to reach the level cap in half an hour; I can say categorically that with the introduction of Legendary Skills, levelling is even easier. Certain oft-overlooked skills like Pickpocket level up very quickly but the real boon comes in the form of the spell Harmony which, when used in combination with enchanted gear, can be chain-cast in busy areas to level up once every 30 seconds. I reached a character level of 164 before the novelty wore off and I realised I had broken my game.

Game save file sizes continue to balloon. This can be somewhat combatted by cleaning 'safe' dungeons of clutter by storing it on bodies, but this tactic is both time consuming and annoying. It also necessitates heavy use of the Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages to determine the 'safe' locations; and there are many. Doing so will reduce save file sizes and help with lag, as will clearing quests. It is manageable, yet is not what I wanted to do in my spare time.

In summary, while patch 1.9 is a step up regarding some game breaking mechanics, the experience remains largely unchanged. It is not possible to gaily wander through the game without consequence on stability, frame-rate, quest completion or balance.
    That aside, Skyrim itself has proven to endure and remains one of the most beautifully crafted game worlds I've ever seen and I feel an almost paternal love for it, despite it's many issues. That I am the 1819th user to voice their opinions on the matter stands testament to its greatness.
  65. Apr 8, 2013
    They should call it SKYBUG!!not skyrim. even after almost 2 years they release a patch (2.09) that from the first minute bugged my gameplay. Bethesda is just pathetic...will definately NOT get any DLC nor any future game unless they prove me wrong in the future. Just pathetic...
  66. Apr 8, 2013
    This game is hands down amazing. Visually stunning, an enormous amount of quests and missions to do. There was a day where I did nothing but wander around in the woods and find locations. I play a lot of games, i have an xbox gamer-score around 40K and level 16 in PS3 trophies. I played this game and only this game for nearly four months. Amazing in every capacity. Ignore the high amount of negative comments on this game, a lot of people were just upset because one of the early patches for the game actually made it worse. Guess what it's a massive game, with tons of stuff going on and tons of things to do, there are going to be issues with any game of this scope. Expand
  67. Apr 6, 2013
    0. It's broken. IT DOES NOT WORK. The game breaks itself more every patch and nothing seems to get fixed. The combat is boring and repetitive, and that is 50% of the game right there. Skills are all but useless, magic and shouts render everything just plain brokenly easy, there is no specialization, the story could have been great but was poorly executed, the voice actors were awful, the civil war aspect was so shallow and boring that it should have been removed, there is no character development being as dialogue is basically "yes/no" and "good/also good". there was NO choice in the story, crafting and alchemy were there only for the sake of existing, and the game crashed frequently.
    Overall, two words describe this game: broken, and stupid. It is broken, the game is both buggy and poorly designed at best. Also, it has no depth. Your character is a cardboard cut out, the story is rushed through, it is FAR too easy, and for some reason carries none of the great changes made in Fallout 3 and New Vegas from Oblivion. This game is awful, do not even pirate this game (if you maybe want the PC version), it is not worth the hard drive space.
  68. Apr 2, 2013
    Skyrim has gathered a wealth of acclaim since it was released. Acclaim that would lead a gamer to believe this game is as close to perfect as it can get. It clearly is not.
    The main plot of Skyrim can be summed up in three words; 'You kill dragons'. That's it. The game makes a damn fine effort to cover up this most lackluster plot by putting a plethora of side quests and explorable areas
    into the game. They seem neat at first, but quickly become 'run through dungeon, grab items, use shortcut at the end to exit.' There are a few unique ones that really held my attention but the majority bored me.
    The game play is mediocre at best. Though it promises to be varied by offering a few different approaches, it quickly becomes an annoyance. It only becomes interesting once you get to a high level and enemies become more resistant to your best skills. But then, this is after at least twenty hours of playing and what's the point of levelling up if enemies counter skills you focus on.
    The soundtrack was largely forgettable and the voice acting is laughable.
    Everything feels so rigid in Skyrim. I am constantly reminded I am playing a game, by completely uninteresting NPCs with the same VO, lackluster gameplay and glitches. Skyrim isn't the worst game, far from it in fact. It's an average game filled with average content that begs your attention but ultimately fails to hold it.
  69. Mar 20, 2013
    The greatest game I have ever played! This is video gaming at its finest. There is so much you can do in this game. I've played it for a total of about 150 hours and I still haven't done everything. Combine that with awesome character customization, many fantastic side quests, an amazing main quest, and a massive, beautiful world, Skyrim is the pinnacle of gaming! I can't wait for more Elder Scrolls games! Expand
  70. Mar 10, 2013
    The amount of detail in this game is incredible! I cannot describe how much detail there is in this game. There must be easily over one hundred books in this game, all that can be read and placed on bookshelves in your home. The painstaking attention to detail is nothing short of phenomenal. Couple this with a beautiful and open overworld, countless ways to customize your character and an exciting battle system and you have one of the greatest games ever created. The soundtrack to this game is sublime; very atmospheric and in places heart wrenching and hauntingly beautiful, the soundtrack alone is a reason to get this game. It fits in with the fantasy land of Skyrim like a glove to a hand, and really makes the game feel so open and as if the world around you lives and breathes and has a story of its own. I bought the game about one week after release and yes, for the first few months, the game was plagued by some horrendous bugs that really brought the experience down. But these have since been resolved, and you would only be cutting off your nose to spite your face if you didn't get this game due to past issues. Also the full DLC is now available on the PS3 (which I have yet to play can't wait) so please, if you are a fan of fantasy RPG's and incredible adventure, treat yourself to Skyrim. You won't be disappointed. Expand
  71. Feb 28, 2013
    The PS3 version of this game should be reviewed on 2 different aspects:

The game itself: deserves nothing less of an 8. It's a huuuuuge game and does a very good job at keeping that adventure itch going on. Gameplay wise it good but it's nothing amazing, other games have done it better and it kind of lacks depth. The skill trees however are incredible, and all other RPGs should take
    notes about how to do a leveling scheme properly; it compensates the lack of depth with an abundance of skills, making you a highly specialized killing machine in the end without compromising your sense of freedom (kudos on this one). Magic implementation is another highpoint, the way you can mix spells in your hands is incredibly fluid and gives you a lot of satisfaction. The lowpoints: design is repetitive to hell, and once you've seen your first drough dungeon you've seen them all. It teases an abundance of hundreds of dungeons but in the end you only have 4 skins: drough dungeon, dwarves dungeon, caves, sanctuaries........... and of course a lot of castles and outdoors combat. Third person view is awful too, it's uncomfortable and you'll be forced to stay in first person through most of the game.

The tecnical issues: minus 2 points (and I'm being generous). Issues have already been expressed in detail by other users. Patches have improved these issues, but it still isn't enough specially if you plan to make a +100 hour investment in the game. It was never such a letdown for me since I stopped playing at +90 hours out of boredom, and I tolerate tecnical issues pretty well. But bare in mind that if you're sensitive to such troubles, the score may sink further even to a 2-3.

Overall a good game is a good game, and you should at least give it a shot
  72. Feb 27, 2013
    The game was all right, but after a while I felt that the game began to become irritating to play. The worst part about the game is all of the major bugs and glitches that are littered within Skyrim.
  73. Feb 25, 2013
    Great game but very buggy. Rating suffers. If it works, great. Can't give it a good rating because it should've never been released with so many problems.
  74. Feb 17, 2013
    It's so ridiculous that this game could possibly receive any high scores on the ps3 version. The game could be the best game ever invented but what good does that do you when bugs prevent you from even playing the game as intended? This game loses at least 3 points on the numerous bugs/freezes/lag problems preventing you from playing the game in the first place alone. I can not possibly rate the game higher than a 7 on that. Just so you know, I am not a TES fanboy so I can give you a more objective view on what you old bitter vets just need to face the reality on....I'm just going to say what you guys won't admit....combat in Morrowind, Oblivion, and now Skyrim is still the same awkward, clunky, piece of garbage and needs to be completely scratched imo. Yes the exploration in this game is absolutely AMAZING!! I give this a game 5 points just for the vast beautiful world you get to explore. Immersion is definitely one of the main strong suits for this game. I really feel like I'm a part of this world. But again, the combat system ruins the game even though the bugs/gliches/freezes do a good job of that to begin with. I know all the bitter vets will turn their noses up and cry like little babies but can you imagine a combat system similar to a Kingdoms of Amalur but in the world of TES?! I would go ahead and throw all my money at Bethesda right now lol Just quit giving us unfinished work! I put over 100 hours into this game, but let's be honest, at LEAST 50 hours of that was in menus changing spells/weapons/potions etc or looking at the map, or the worst....on a loading screen...
    This game gets the rating it gets because the immersion and exploration are worth buying the game for alone. I would just recommend playing an archer only so the combat won't feel so awkward.
  75. Feb 10, 2013
    Game is extremely AWESOME but in ps3 Skyrim have bugs freeze problems and other technical problems.
    And Guild quests are boring than Oblivion.And Skyrim quests are more shorter than Oblivion quests but Skyrim is never bore the player.I advice you if you are RPG player BUY SKYRIM
  76. Feb 8, 2013
    5.8?! o_O What is wrong with you people?! I completely finished this game, totally, 100%, nothing more to do. 467 hours in. So much to do in this game! Wow! And you do all that you want and you can be the character you want. Waiting for the DLCs... By the way, my game never crashed! Unlike Fallout 3 which crashed every 30 minutes during 150 hours. :S
  77. Feb 3, 2013
    The characters, the stories, the customization, the world, make this beautiful RPG one that is hard to get tired of.
  78. Jan 27, 2013
    Skyrim was fun for the first 10 or so hours but after that, I was bored. And that's bad for an 100+ hour game. The story is pretty good, however it's not the best or near it. The combat is really boring as all you are doing is pressing 1 or 2 buttons and doing the exact same thing, the entire time, eg. slash, slash, block, slash, drink healing potion, slash, slash etc... But the game is above average considering the quality content (large world for exploration, variety of enemies and equipment, amount of missions and side quests, character development and leveling up, marriage, joining guilds etc..) And for those first 10- 20 hours, the game is pretty damn fun. So if your at home with a lot of time to spare, Skyrim's your game. Expand
  79. Jan 26, 2013
    I'll be brief. An amazingly addictive game, and I have not seen any of the legendary glitches ... yet. That said it is a game that constantly calls you back for more.
  80. Jan 20, 2013
    the story its cool but when you start playing it you get stuck, they dont help you, like most of the gamers hate the long quests like if you are on x place the quest says you need to go to y place or like a place 500miles away from you.
  81. Jan 13, 2013
    I'm glad I waited a year to buy and play this game, as it appears I'm not dealing with any of the bugs so many people have complained of. It's a great game in many respects. Beautiful graphics, great soundtrack, immersive storyline, and very involved experience and item creation system. The only complaint I have is many of the quests are pretty much exactly the same with different dialogue: something happens, you have to go get something, it's in a dungeon filled with zombies. It can make parts of the game a bit tedious. But it's still one of those games that you can sit down and play all day, then think about it all next day while you're at work. That has to count for something. Expand
  82. Jan 8, 2013
    Oh, Bethesda, Bethesda. Where do I begin. You'll notice that despite your probable inference to the opening sentence, I rated the game a solid 8/10. So, why the negativity you may ask? Well, it's pretty simple. I am doing this review for the PS3 port. Yes, I thought it would be a great idea to buy this for the Playstation 3. Don't ask me why when I know that more and more developers, (U.S. developers anyway), seem to be on the tit of the Micro$oft power house known as the XBOX 360. The expansions are one issue I don't believe is entirely fair to mention seeing as how those are usually reviewable as a separate entity. My main problem is with the software to hardware adaptation. Skyrim seems to cooperate with the cell broadband processor as well as a man on death row cooperates with the guard taking him to the chair, or table depending on which era you're from. Anyway, the game itself is very entertaining barring a few repetitive dungeons and despite the lack of effort put into the PS3 version, the graphics are very pleasing to the eye.

In closing I believe it may be best to, if one has the means but this copy for either the 360 or PC. As much as I love my PS3, I'm sort of regretting not buying the PC version......8/10, thanks.
  83. Jan 6, 2013
    Honestly, I had never heard of the Elder Scrolls, until I had played Skyrim and when I finally purchased the play and played it I was struck was buyer's remorse roughly the size of the National Debt. I mean, WOW! Five years of work and I can't play for more than an hour without my frigging character turning blue. What was Bethesda doing all that time, huh? Sure, they released patches for the game, but a studios objective when making a video game is to insure that the game itself is actually FINISHED!!!. Then the DLC came out and the PS3 crowd got snubbed on that as well. Bethesda, please pay attention to the middle finger I have erected towards your headquarters. It very unlikely that I will purchase the next Elder Scrolls game. Expand
  84. Dec 27, 2012
    This game was fun to start out with, but not great in the long run. You go through in this amazing, expansive world, collecting gear, doing various quest lines, and then you realize: This game is too big. I mean seriously, it is fun, but if you do not have insane amounts of time on your hands, you will not have an amazing experience. Don't get me wrong... the game is great, but Bethesda's issue of not fixing bugs that they know exist are yet another reason to not love this game. Dungeons get repetitive, etc. Expand
  85. Dec 27, 2012
    Yeah it's true... this game had a lot of GLITCHES. But the solved them all!! Don't worry about the those 1744 reviews :D yeah don't worry about them. They have updated the PS3 version and yeah it took a while but it's finally over.

I had the game months ago and sold it to Gamestop but now the graphics are stunning compared with the old graphics I saw months ago... for real. This is a
    good game. It's big. Don't spit on it. Expand
  86. Dec 27, 2012
    There isn't much to say,its one of the most wonderful game in history,and all the credit goes to "Bethesa",THEY are the best videogames company in my opinion,they produced such good games like Fallout,Dishonored,Wet and more...
  87. Dec 20, 2012
    I was extremely excited for Skyrim and it is one of the very few games I have ever bought on day 1. However, while Skyrim many be an incredible game on other platforms, the simple fact that Bethesda released Skyrim on PS3 is a joke, but not funny. Skyrim is a hopeless mess. It is extremely buggy (glitches that prevent players from completing or even starting quests are absurdly common), but for such an amazing base game, I would overlook those bugs. However, it also freezes constantly. The larger my save file got, the more it frequently it froze. Just when I was completely into playing Skyrim, when it was fast becoming one of my favorite video games of all time, the freezing got so bad that I had to stop playing. Some days, it would be freezing up once every five minutes, and that is not an exaggeration. I had to save constantly to keep from losing progress, and I wound up spending 40% of my time with Skyrim actually playing the game, and 60% of my time with Skyrim rebooting my PS3 after it froze, saving to avoid losing too much progress, or watching loading screens. Which brings me to another problem. Loading screens in Skyrim pop up very frequently and are unacceptably long, far longer than loading screens in previous Bethesda PS3 games like Fallout 3, leading me to believe long loading screens are not the result of Bethesda being unable to fix the problem, but rather the result of them being too lazy to do so. Skyrim should have been delayed. Sure, everyone who was going to buy the PS3 version, myself included, would have complained about it, but at the end of the day, we would have realized that if Bethesda delayed Skyrim, they did it because they had more work to do and the delay would make the final product better. Instead of delaying Skyrim, Bethesda shipped an incomplete, shoddy mess of a game. And then, did they do what they did with Fallout: New Vegas- patch it into a playable state? No. They released a few patches that fixed a few of the countless glitches and dealt with the lag, but they did nothing about the constant freezing, the absurd loading times, or the vast majority of the glitches. Now, the number of patches Bethesda releases has tapered off dramatically. Why? Maybe because Bethesda cares less about working on fixing their broken product and more about milking more profits from DLC, which PS3 owners didn't get. We missed Dawnguard and Hearthfire completely. We're getting Dragonborn, but, frankly, I am not that excited. All Dragonborn is is Bethesda trying to get PS3 owners to pay more money to get more shoddy product. Also, every Bethesda employee working on Skyrim DLC is an employee who should be working on game patches instead. Glitches, freezes, no DLC- Skyrim on the PS3 is a gamer nightmare. Expand
  88. Dec 20, 2012
    What an awesome game. Too bad it breaks my heart to give it a bad score like this, but with the crappy frame rates and the inability of Bethesda to release DLC's for this platform while signing a drug deal with the XBox 360 to get them first leaves a bad taste as a PS3 owner.
  89. Dec 6, 2012
    Skyrim on ps3 has received harsh criticism due to bugs and lag but Bethesda fixed these problems and released patches by doing so the games visuals are groundbreaking and the quests and main story line is very addictive, it is not a perfect game though through the game there are minor bugs and sometimes low fps (lag) and before the patches made by bethesda the game was full of bugs and would freeze for many players but now many of these bugs are fixed and the game itself is much better and once you get started on this wild adventure of skyrim it's hard to stop! Expand
  90. Dec 3, 2012
    Maxmark, I just want to say you are a completed dumb ass the reason your game is lagging is because your use a crappy PS3 so get a better one then try it you'll defiantly change your thinking I did after i got it. even knowing the campaign isn't that long it's still as good. So what I'm trying to get to is you need to get A BETTER PS3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  91. Dec 1, 2012
    This gmae is brilliant. It is epic,gorgeous and breathtaking. Its has a rich and detailed world. The quests are all unique and never get repetitive, but sometimes glitch so that they can never be complteded. The games main quest is very very short but the many sidequests make up fofr it. The combat is quite floaty and its easy to miss your target. Then there is the lag. I live in Kenya, which may be hard to believe. i dont have a wireless network, im using a modem to type this review. The lag makes the game almost unplayable especially in whiterun and windhelm. Skyrim glitches sometimes so that it can really tick you off. At one bit my companions attacked each other,or in another scenario people necessary for quests didn't exist. The game is great with great environments and innovative quest and loot, but some small problems stand out and prevent skyrim from achieving the illusive 10. Expand
  92. Nov 29, 2012
    Probably one of the best 5 games of all time---even with the bugs and load time. Huge in scope and imagination. Can't say enough about it. The only real question is whether to go for 100% completion now that I'm already 181 hours in.
  93. Nov 25, 2012
    I dont understand all the negative reviews? Everything they say is wrong? I loved this game, it isn't buggy AT ALL, the graphics are AMAZING, The storyline is epic. i loved this game, and i certainly recommend it to everyone who likes RPG Games.
  94. Nov 25, 2012
    FUS RO DAH! i love the elderscrolls skyrim! it is one of the most fun, exiding, fantasy awesome free roming video games! i like that you can choose what to say to people to choose what you want to happen. its always really fun when you find a shout wall with a dragon gaurding it and imagine what the shout may be... collecting spells, weapons, armor, and shouts, is just 4 of many exiding, things to do in skyrim! Expand
  95. Nov 23, 2012
    The gameplay is amazing: it's the best combination of adventure and RPG. The graphics, even if unrealistic, are truly beautiful. The storyline also brings epic moments. Overall, an amazing game (at least, for someone that have never played The Elder Scrolls before).
  96. Nov 21, 2012
    Strange, looking at the critic reviews this got it looked good then reading the user reviews on here it looked bad. So bought it anyway and loved it. It goes to show you cant go on what people read. Loads of bugs yes, but gameplay and variety really excelled on this game. This is one of the best games ive played, just before you buy a game watch video clips and dont go on what people say because i very nearly never bought this game. Enjoy Expand
  97. Nov 15, 2012
    Looks gorgeous, full of detail, but it's so buggy & slow. Loading screens must've taken up half of the 100+ hours I put into this. Game-play that should be fun & enjoyable, becomes repetitive & monotonous. You spend most of the game going through boring tasks in order to level up your skills.
  98. Nov 10, 2012
    Stunning. From the first scene to the very last. The game is so expansive You don't need to play the main quest. You don't even need to play ANY quests. The graphics and sound are exquisite . The magic system is awesome and the world is very believable. If I had to pick out negatives. I'd say the combat system ( especially when using weapons) is clunky. The menu system is not as fluid as it could be. If they had employed the hot key system that Fallout had then It would have been a lot simpler and useable. The main menu system in regard to levelling up IS useful and visually absorbing however. The game difficulty is a strange one. At first I found it too hard , now most encounters are far too easy. Yes I could raise the difficulty , but that would mean the one or two characters that I do meet who are very powerful would seem unbalanced. Dragons are not nearly as powerful as I had anticipated. I do have a team of four however and my character levelled up greatly in his wanderings before I even started the main missions. Perhaps to my detriment as I now find even bosses to be a two second affair. Expand
  99. Nov 10, 2012
    Skyrim is one of the most amazing games I have ever played. Perhaps the main history isn´t interesting enough, but if you play the alter-missions mixed with the main history, this game becomes very enjoyable. The bugs and the glitches happen usually in this game, but instead of hate the game becouse of that, I really enjoy and laugh a lot with some of them ( Like a dragon flying in cyrcles, or things like that ). In conclusion:
    The best: Beautiful graphics, hours and hours and hours of gaming, great music and the best RPG game in 2011.
    The worst: Some bugs, main history a bit boring.
  100. Nov 10, 2012
    I got this game in January after the main patches had been released and have never seen any bugs. This game is fantastic. I've played it for over 200 hours! Which is quite unlike me. So much to do, the world seems huge at first, but you soon get used to it. I have a small army fighting for me now, with a follower, battle dog, horse, quest character and 2 zombies at my command. I'm currently hunting for the dragon priest masks. Expand
  101. Dec 4, 2011
    For those of you who are addicted to trophy hunting, the difficulty level of the game doesn't affect the trophies, so you can play it dead easy, and still get all of them. There's a vast world to explore making it rather addictive. Quests / battles very doable, not too hard, not retardedly easy either... However... this game has some serious flaws, which get REALLY ANNOYING after some time.... Such as... Main quest is really really short. Sometimes in battles a dragon pops up (if you're lucky your enemies die by the dragon's attack, if unlucky both the dragon and the other enemies aggro on you). If you hit a member of your team during a number of quests (not all), they turn their aggression on you. This is especially retarded for mages since they just run into your attack while casting and turn aggressive. >_< The stamina of your horses run out even faster than your own, which completely ruins the point of riding on a horse. Not faster. If you're in battle and you surrender, your horse / companion will keep on fighting. (just annoying) After about 20 hours of game time the game starts to lag so badly it's damn near impossible to play the game (happens either straight away or after 30 minutes or so), and there's not much you seem to be able to do about it. (this is the main reason I'm grading it low, a game you can't play due to fps lags isn't really a fun one. Next to the lagging, sometimes the game crashes during a loading screen or freezes while you're running around, the fps lag can actually freeze up your entire console. In some cases I can exit the game using my controller, in some cases I can press the on/off button on my console, and in some cases I have to cut the power off of my ps3 and plugging the cord back in. Most annoying thing really. Also, the update for this game supposedly fixing bugs, makes the game act worse rather than better.... Quest bugs leading to it being impossible to finish quests, while you're hoping you have a recent previous save game from before the dungeon (which in most cases you don't). I'm sure I haven't named all minuses yet, but this is about enough really. It's a fun game, a LOT of gameplay, but the bugs and glitches and mistakes, and lags and freezes, and crashes, and everything else really take the edge off. Collapse

1. This is a game full of emotions for gamers who are willing to embrace it. A beautiful fantasy land that makes loading times a thing of the past and is full of surprises. Not only do you get a lot of variety in the locations, the gameplay offers a lot of different experiences as well. [December 2011, p.66]
  2. Dec 28, 2011
    I enjoyed Skyrim and I look forward to the DLC that we know is inevitably coming. If we looked at this honestly, though, this game probably should have been pushed back a month or so for more polish. It needed it and it still does.
  3. Skyrim is a gorgeous production that truly does justice to the words "roleplaying game." It doesn't just tell us a story, it gives us the chance to tell a story of our own. At its best, that's what an interactive art form should be all about. [Jan 2011, p.73]