5.3

1. JerseyChris
    Aug 1, 2009
    The essence of KOF had is missing... Don't buy this game, just rent it!!! I rented my copy and on the 2nd day finished all the characters. No Boss! No Plot! No Story! No Ending! No Secret Characters! & NO GOOD!!! The only good thing is the detailed graphics... :(
  2. Darkstrike
    Oct 6, 2009
    As a long time fan who has played every single title in the series since 94', I am thoroughly disappointed in the latest over-hyped and under-delivering iteration. The movelists are paltry compared to the hugely enjoyable predecessors (not to mention the exclusion of many fan-favourite characters). The excuse that every single character has been painstakingly redrawn does not make upAs a long time fan who has played every single title in the series since 94', I am thoroughly disappointed in the latest over-hyped and under-delivering iteration. The movelists are paltry compared to the hugely enjoyable predecessors (not to mention the exclusion of many fan-favourite characters). The excuse that every single character has been painstakingly redrawn does not make up for the many shortcomings of this game (no final/mid boss, no intuitive training mode, among others). However, based on the game play, potential remains for the next KOF to make it up to its fans. Expand
  3. RobN
    Jul 28, 2009
    Wow. How far the mighty have fallen. This series used to be a favorite of mine for it's balancing and character design. This entry is just anemic. It's missing a lot of the favorites from the series, the arcade mode is short and way too easy, and the netcode makes the user deal with enough lag to be consistently frustrating. The fighting system is ok but most characters have Wow. How far the mighty have fallen. This series used to be a favorite of mine for it's balancing and character design. This entry is just anemic. It's missing a lot of the favorites from the series, the arcade mode is short and way too easy, and the netcode makes the user deal with enough lag to be consistently frustrating. The fighting system is ok but most characters have actually lost moves since the last game. With games like BlazBlue and SFIV out right now, there is no way I can justify the money I spent on this title. Expand
  4. Thom,LordofKittens
    Jul 30, 2009
    What a let down... This isn't KOF... Character designs are great, but everything that made the series great is missing. No Cheesy Boss, no endings, no nothing... Animation is great until you realize how many moves were cut from characters, and how few characters there are. Very, very disappointed.
  5. DanH
    Jul 28, 2009
    Many years ago, when my brother and I first got a PlayStation for Christmas, there were a handful of games that helped define our impressions of fighting games; among them was King of Fighters '95. Though plagued with loading times, the crisp animation, catchy music, and massive amount of interesting characters, teams, and locales let me know that the arcades had finally come home. Many years ago, when my brother and I first got a PlayStation for Christmas, there were a handful of games that helped define our impressions of fighting games; among them was King of Fighters '95. Though plagued with loading times, the crisp animation, catchy music, and massive amount of interesting characters, teams, and locales let me know that the arcades had finally come home. Fast forward to July 2009. After loading up KoFXII, aware the series had opted for "quality over quantity" with characters--in theory--I eagerly established a team of the original Fatal Fury dudes, with Terry as my frontman. Bizarre anime-esque newsreel interludes aside, I fought off through five (just five?) stages of enemies, only to learn at the end...that no memorable cheap-yet-satisfying to trounce SNK boss laid in wait to force me to use that continue service once more. Baffled, I thought back to Capcom vs. SNK 2, and how if you did poorly, you were denied the chance to fight a final boss. "Clearly, this was the case," thought I, as I proceeded to play through once again, with increased gusto! Six plus minutes later, yet again the last match was followed by nothing more than the credits...and my time, like I cared. Funny, Ignition (the publisher who will live in infamy with me from now on) didn't indicate on their website--amongst this shocker--all of the following absentee features that make KoF...well, KoF: No final boss, no character intros/outros, only one win pose, only 6 stages (2 are effectively palette-swapped), no special effects when finishing a foe with a super, no arcing story, no teams...no nothing... With some 5 teams of 3 characters each still represented, and a few stragglers, it honestly feels like this game was published incomplete, like the deadline was a sword of Damocles, threatening doom. Well, the doom falls upon the unfortunate KoF fan who--like me--spends $60 to find they bought an incomplete game. (Don't even get me started on Iori.) The Critical Counter and "Clashing" mechanics seem well enough at first, thought the clashing seems subverted by the ubiquitous roll, and the critical counters cannot be comboed into; rather, you must be in relatively close range, and your hard punch/kick must somehow have priority over whatever they are being countered with--not likely if light attacks are being used. I don't even mind that they're trying something new with this idea, but it's implementation seems tacked on. This is the worst King of Fighters title I have ever played. (Say what you will about Eolith, I personally liked KoF 2001.) With a renaissance of 2D-fighters this year on next-gen consoles, it will be a long time before Ignition gets one more of my dollars. Expand

1. Playstation: The Official Magazine (US)
    Maybe hardcore fans will appreciate the subtle mechanics at work in KOF XII, but as fighting game fans who aren't devoted enough to count frames of animation and the like, we can't help but feel indifferent. [Aug 2009, p.78]
  2. If you like online play, King of Fighters does it extremely well. However, with only one single-player offline mode, this title feels a little empty overall.
    Most gamers may not want to pay full retail price for only a handful of light features, despite how pretty the game is, but if you love your fighters old-school and 2D, The King of Fighters XII is probably worth checking out.