• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jul 21, 2013
    This title affected me like a slow burn. I expected it to be at the very least decent, based on Naughty Dog's recent history with the PS3. Then I played through the opening section and I was absolutely stunned at what they had done with this medium. As the game added thematic components, characters, tweaks in game-play, and set pieces throughout its 15-hour campaign, I must admit to some confusion on my part. Certain moments were jarring, some were poignant and just right, and others still seemed overtly familiar. As the hours continued on in life after I had finished the game, I came to realize what had happened: Naughty Dog was two steps ahead of me in every way possible, right from the beginning. It's one of those rare works of art where the more one speculates on the events that have taken place, the more all of these things make total sense and seem inseparable from the overall vision. On this basis alone, "The Last of Us" must be one of (if not THE) most unpredictable games I've ever played. The relationship between Joel and Elle is never contrived, never played up or squeezed tight for emotion, yet also never abandoned nor underdeveloped it's one of the most realistic portrayals of a surrogate daughter/father scenario I've ever seen, anywhere in art. I honestly have no way to lengthily describe this game in any satisfying way, so here's some random appropriate adjectives: unflinching, brutal, heartfelt, passionate, understated, terrifying, complex, demanding, and, ultimately, masterful. The conclusion could very well haunt you for months (but not for any reasons presupposed at the beginning of the play-through). Expand
  2. Jul 14, 2013
    Yeah this game may not have the perfect and the funniest gameplay but it has a lot of challenge and you need a lot of strategy to beat this game. Some times it may be frustrating and your AI partners may be a pain in the ass for you but this game does everything it promises, a perfect crafted storyline, some good rpg elements and interesting weapons in a world of tension between infected, the military and the fireflies.
    From the beginning to the end i got glued to the story because it was so interesting. It may not deliver so many action that Uncharted delivered but it delivers a even better story, rich environments and strong enemies that won't be forgotten in some time. If you played this game from the beginning to the end you'll find some bugs and minor errors in combat but you will ignore that all because you will also find one of the best stories of this generation and one of the best post-apocalyptic game ever. You won't regret it, if you have a PS3 you need to get this game, because there ain't much games that reach this high in terms of storytelling in this platform.
    This is a must have for everyone that likes zombies, strategy and amazing and emotional stories.
    One more thing. If you played the other Naughty Dogs games and you already know that this studio never let you down just get this game and watch for yourself.

This is one of the best games i played and i won't forget it and i still need to play it to get all the stuff and don't forget the multiplayer that also is good.
  3. Aug 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. POSITIVES:
    1) A decent story, made excellent by wonderfully written dialogue and brilliant voice acting.
    2) Gorgeous level design.
    3) Thrilling and extremely responsive game play.
    4) Naughty dog.
    5) Realistic, unexaggerated violence adds to the game's dark and desperate tone.

NEGATIVES:
    1) Crafting could have been broader (Knives, man! They should be more common than knives!)
    2) I thought it needed a bit more character development for someone other than Joel and Ellie, like Tess or David.

I have been playing Naughty Dog games since I was 6-7, starting with the Crash Bandicoot series. Now I'm a 24 year old man and I feel as if Naughty Dog has been growing at the same rate as me. Naughty Dog, I love you AND this game.

P.S: A decent set of headphones pulls you in even further.
  4. Jul 10, 2013
    It is a very good game, Naughty Dog always make very high quality games and this is no exception, visually is shocking, the history mode is long (12h for me) and very nicely done, the music is very simple but very VERY appropiate for the game, and the environments are amazingly good, every aspect of them, but, there are minor things that keep this game for being a masterpiece, the first is that there are many cliches in the history and, at least for me, you never feel identified with the conflict, and this is because the game is very straight forward, you don't feel the survival aspect of an apocalypse, you just feel you have to kill every single enemy, the exploration is kind of limited and the fact that some places has notes about what happened there is a very good idea but isn't very well developed, just like the environments they just feel lonely but they lack violence, they lack "drama", also, despite the fact that the history mode is very entertaining, it should be a bit slower, there are many cutscenes (which is fine) but there are very little interaction to know the characters a bit more, because they are very interesting but I've felt that I wanna know more about them but the game doesn't give me the tools to do.
    The gameplay is very good with very cool animations and very good combat variety, but it should be a bit harder (even on survivor), and the ammo is short because of the limit which is kind of stupid having a bag, but is very entertaining overall. Everything I say may be a bit subjective but I think that the game should have focus on other things like survival instead on walk and kill (which doesn't mean is a bad game) but overall I give it an 8 because what the game offers is very good and is certainly a game that everyone should try.
  5. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic and immersing story that kept me on my toes till the very end, the ending was great and evoked emotion and honestly, just made me think what I would do in a similar situation. Thank you Naughty Dog, you made my childhood with Crash Bandicoot and now that I'm 18, you once again just create a masterpiece.
  6. Jun 22, 2013
    The Last of Us is an exciting and emotionally moving adventure show what human interaction could be like after a apocalypse. Naughty Dog has created a gem that while not without faults is still one of the most important games ever released for the PlayStation 3.

You play as Joel who through the course of the game is escorting his companion Ellie to a certain destination. During the
    journey the relationship that grows between Joel and Ellie is both touching and haunting to behold. Without spoiling the story, parts of Joel's past affect the way he currently views life and this provides a window into seeing how humanity might react following years after a great tragedy or apocalypse. Bitterness abounds in Joel's life early on, and yet by the conclusion of the of the tale the player is so wrapped up within the story that they will share a great deal of care for Ellie in almost a fatherly role. Parts of these emotions might be strong enough to bring tears to your eyes. It happened to me.

Graphics: The game succeeds in pushing the PS3 to new boundaries. It's obvious that this console generation is coming to a close, but Naughty Dog did a great job at showing the possible beauty and abandonment of a nation desolated by destruction. The animations are top notch and the character models (thank you Joel for having an amazing beard) are hype-realistic. I experienced a bit of pop in at times but nothing that caused major issues in my play-through.

Gameplay: The Last of Us succeeds in making the player struggle to survive against the harsh virtual reality of a fallen world. You will face environmental challenges, mutated monsters, and bandits struggling to survive. Throughout the game you given a minimal supply of weaponry to just barely get you to the next encounter. More times than not you will try to rely on Joel's stealth and brute force to overcome situations. This is both brutal and desperate, making you feel like every move you make has weight. Gunplay feels similar to Uncharted but a bit less accurate further reminding you that Joel is a real human and not some super hero. Encounters with enemies can be tough, and you will die. The game doesn't penalize you for death and check points are frequent to the point where it almost relieves a bit of tension. Even though you will die, the game is fair. I completed my first play-through on hard and felt that it possibly made the experience more rewarding than if I had played on normal. This is up to personal choice in the end and either way you will have a great time.

Sound: The Last of Us sounds great. Voice acting is well done and all the characters are believable during cut scenes and even during seemingly random dialog. Joel's voice makes it clear that he has had one hell of a life and that years of fighting for survival have taken a toll on his emotional and physical being. Ellie on the other hand has grown up in this world and shows spunky if not almost disturbing arrogance in the face of danger. Musically the game is strong, but doesn't leave any long lasting themes like you might find in Uncharted or Bioshock Infinite. Most of the game will be spent in silence which very accurately represents the forsaken empty world. During cut scenes, or other important events the sudden inclusion of music brings more weight than could ever be realized with a constant soundtrack.

Possible Negatives: The only main negative point I could bring up the sheer number of times Joel must go find a ladder, trashcan, etc to prop open a door or gain access to the next area. This mechanic should have been thrown out in early design. I don't mind it every now and then but it did bother me enough to break me from the experience. I experienced one bug involving this that made me reload the game at one point. It's a minor complaint, but still matters. Some have argued that the game is too linear and would prefer a more "choose your own path/ending" scenario. To argue with this I would just take time to remind everyone that this game isn't about the players story. This is about Joel, and Joel may not make the same decisions you would. This is not a flaw, but a reminder that Naughty Dog has crafted a brilliant story and seeks to guide you through to the end. Accept this and you will have a blast.

In summary, Naughty Dog has crafted a a brilliant emotional tale that touches the players hearts and yet brings ample excitement and adventure. While the game is not perfect it is something that will remembered fondly in years to come. For these reasons I highly recommend experiencing The Last of Us.
  7. Mar 5, 2014
    Finished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more than take all of this console generation's staple mechanics, systems, and story developing elements and put them together in a highly polished, fantastic looking game. 3 to 5 years ago I would've given this a 9.5. But in 2014 it is completely generic in almost every respect. It does have some emotional depth to it, but nothing you haven't seen in 1,500 better movies. There was a point in the first few hours I thought I was going to have to quit out of sheer boredom. And when it did pick up, all the "no, man, it's not Uncharted... the gameplay is better and the story is PHENOMENAL! It's not just a long cutscene. You'll see, man. Trust me." statements I kept hearing never panned out. The boredom never really went away... the story never really panned out like I was expecting. The AI was terrible. I tried to immerse myself, but then I'd witness Ellie running in place into a clicker who would then come after me for not sneaking slow enough 30 feet away. Even though it is their best, I believe Naughty Dog has already gotten too many free passes. And the gaming crowd has disappointed me with what we'll give 10s to and with the acceptance of faults that should be fixed by now. All that said, It is a pretty good game. It would've been great 5 years ago, but not in 2014. My real rating is 7.5, but I round up. Expand
  8. Dec 10, 2013
    Naughty Dog has made a masterpiece. The best game PS3 has delivered in the entire sventh generation, and one that will be remembered for years to come. It is truly that good. And I know some jealous people will describe this game as overrated without even playing it, as the same thing happened last year with Halo 4. Shh, don't listen to them! The Last of Us is not flawless but is pretty damn close, and that is enough to give it everlasting praise.
    The story, OMG! If you have a heart, and human feelings, and most importantly two eyes, two ears and a functioning brain, then you will love the story in this game. I never felt so many things, and I'm not talking only about TWD emotional post-depression, although there is definitely a hint of that. I am talking about anger, desperation, happiness and fear...and the worst fear of all. The fear of losing your loved ones. The voice acting is top-notch, and the graphics. They truly push the PS3 to the limit. They are insane.
    The gameplay is fitting, and really pairs with the pace of the game. It is intense, gritty and insanely violent. Stealth is king (Something we are not used to from the "Uncharted" games) as it is also being tactical, preservative and crafty. If you play in normal (Like me) you will find some challenge, though not overwhelming. It is at moments fun, at moments scary. It is just a good-old fashioned survival horror stealthy gameplay, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Surprise! This game comes with an Online component which is, surprisingly good actually. It has the same gameplay mechanics from the campaign and the maps are thoughtfully designed. Of course it is not The Last of Us' main focus, but I am still playing it a lot, you know, after three entire playthroughs of the mind-blowing, excellent, five-star, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious campaign. Gotta love Ellie and her awful jokes!
    In the end, BUY THIS GAME! Do not own a PS3? Bro, I feel for you, because this game is one of the best games ever made, period. I am truly enthusiastic about this. There is just nothing else like it in the world.
  9. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a good game. meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Expand
  10. Aug 8, 2013
    I'll be honest. I do not like the Uncharted series at all. Naughty Dog had a lot to prove to me with this game and they succeeded greatly. Probably the best survival horror game since Resident Evil 4 for sure. The graphics are awesome, and you can see the emotion on Joel and Ellie's faces. The story is amazing, and kept me gripped the whole 12 hours. The gameplay is really fun, and focuses on resource management during combat situations which is incredibly fun with a layer of challenge as well. The only gripe I had was some checkpoints pissed me off. All in all though, great game and second to only BioShock Infinite for Game of the Year. Expand
  11. Apr 16, 2014
    The most overrated "game" of all time. The atmosphere and story are decent, but there is very little actual gameplay. You probably won't realize this on your first playthrough because you will be playing overly cautiously and exploring for materials, wondering what is around the next corner. But once you've beaten it, you will understand that there are very few fights with enemies and a whole lot of slow boring sections spent walking around listening to Ellie, separated by lots of cutscenes. The multiplayer can be enjoyable, but the poor hit detection coupled with the slow pace isn't likely to hold many peoples' attention for very long. Expand
  12. Nov 5, 2013
    Pure perfection. Awesome graphics, good story and very amazing gameplay. The game can show a very fantastic atmosphere of survival in this epic story. Graphics make this beauty a lot better. One thing that can't allow me to make mark 10/10, is quite stupid AI and ending of game. A really don't want this game, this story to finish.
    Naughty Dog show all perfection of PlayStation 3.
  13. Aug 24, 2013
    The Last of Us is probably the best game you'll find on the PS3. Period.

First of all, no game on the system is prettier, and no game has a better voice cast, including the Uncharted games. There is also so much tension throughout the game that the rare moments that it eases up are incredibly meaningful. Every second of this game has been given so much thought and so much care. I
    honestly can't imagine a game being better than this.

If you own a PS3, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
  14. Jul 4, 2013
    +Voice acting
    +Visuals
    +Music score and general atmosphere
    +All characters are shady and morally ambiguous. Even the lead character seems this way after they have essentially killed more than a 100 people.. I think I prefer this over pacifist characters or the kinds that say they good honest people when in reality they would do anything that the raiders would do if they got desperate
    enough. The question of whether its self defense props up a few times.. you steal all the raiders food/ammo so its pretty clear its more about survival than morals. The only clear moral line is not raping or torturing someone.

-I don't really get why the developers always seem so invested in telling us how the zombies came to be. Does it matter? That they are not the living dead but simply infected? All I know is that killing zombies through a headshot is ingrained in popular culture... coming up with an excuse like that so we can shoot them in the torso to kill them is just lame.

-The problem with the enemies all ignoring Ellie. In stealth situations Naughty Dog skipped this part of the coding so she just walks right passed zombies.... I always wonder how developers will show us the friendly AI sneak past zombies, either sneak with you, take their own route, or hide while you get passed, then later meeting up with you. Come on guys.. be a bit more professional.

-The smoke bomb is useless, but not because they are not necessary, it's just that they don't seem to work properly. The enemy never stopped firing at me when I threw them either when it was at their feet or at mine.
  15. Sep 2, 2013
    Graphics are spectacular, so yes you heard that millions of the times for this title, now on to the rest.

I'm not a single player person at all, I actually despise it now since I've been spoiled with online coop etc, but I will say this is well worth your $60 just for the single player experience alone.
    Does the multiplayer hold it as well? Hell yes! It's very fun once you learn
    tactics and learn what you are doing as well!
    Definitely deserves the 10!
  16. Nov 3, 2013
    If you don't have a Playstation 3 yet, then this game is the reason to buy one. I need to write something more to have at least 150 characters. It's done.
  17. Jun 19, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best post-apocalyptic game I've ever seen. The characters are well portrayed and look really alive. AI can be annoying sometimes, but it's insignificant compared to all the positive sides of this game.
  18. Jun 28, 2013
    Story: I really enjoyed the story, It had great writing, voice acting, and body language. The game also does a great job at making me care for Joel and Ellie as the story progresses by giving me those slow moments where the two engage in dialogues.
    Graphics: T.L.O.U contains some of the most gorgeous and detailed graphics I've ever seen on a console. The facial models look realistic,
    great lighting, excellent sound design, and the backgrounds look beautiful.
    Gameplay: This game can get extremely intense if you play it stealthy. Even though stealth is optional, you're most likely going to be silent since ammo is scarce and the A.I can get really aggressive by charging, flanking, or suppressing you. One immersive braking mechanic is that the A.I won't attack your companions which isn't really annoying because imagine you're trying to sneak around, and Ellie accidently lures a clicker(infected) or bloater(super infected) to your location. I think it's a good idea for Naughty Dog to do this. You also need to explore to find parts needed to upgrade your weapons, supplements to boost your survival skills, and crafting items to build med kits and other useful stuff.
    Multiplayer: The multiplayer is really fun to play, but I do have some issues with it. First, instead of earning XP to level up, you have to gather supplies to help build your clan in order to unlock customization items. What this means is you have to do good in every match you're in in order to get supplies for your clan (you get most of your supplies from kills). This can be really hard when you have a clan of 70 because you're going to need around 70 to 80 supplies to keep your clan alive (which isn't easy). There are also only 2 game types which might limit replay value for some, and the game suffers from balancing issues bow almost being a 1-hit kill, smoke and shiv load outs, bombs, and more).
    Overall, The Last of Us is one of my favorite games of 2013 and one of my favorite PS3 exclusives. Go buy it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Rating: 9.5 P.S. Thanks for reading my 1st review.
  19. Nov 27, 2013
    At first I'd like to get this off my chest. I really loved to play The Last of Us. It was an really enjoyable and emotional experience for me and it's one of the best games to be released in 2013. However; it had many flaws and is utterly overrated by the masses. The story is one of the highest claimed things about the game but to be honest, it wasn't that original, mostly cliché. It were the characters that carried it all. Even the intro sequence brought tears in my eyes. And that will mean something. On the technical side there isn't much to critize, but it isn't the best looking game on the PS3. I still think Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is the best looking current-gen console game to date. Some textures were muddy but that's about it. What was the most let down to me were three things: At first the gameplay and the difficulity. The gameplay was probably one of the most boring things I have ever wittnessed. It made Heavy Rain look spectacular.

Also it was really linear, the AI was dumb and the gunplay decent at best. But I just can't get over it how repetitive it all was. Always there was to find and build a ladder or a bridge and hold off some enemies and that's about it. And the difficulity was schizophrenic. At one time it was easy because of the stupid AI and then they threw in the Clickers that can kill you with one hit (at the beginning). Some may call it challenging, I call it a chore. And then the last chapter was really annoying too because of the sheer amount of enemies. The game has really low replayability for me. I tried to go for another run a while after I completed it but I just couldn't because it was so boring. It's a game you probably just will play once. To all the people who gave it a 10 How often did you replay the game you spent 60 bucks on? Because I think good games should be fun to replay. But this one wasn't at all.

Then there's multiplayer. Normally I'm not a multiplayer guy but this one really got me hooked. It was even more enjoyable than the singleplayer most of the time. It requires a lot of tactic and teamplay. More than those wanna-be tactic games like Battlefield 3 and 4.

Overall it's certainly not a bad game, it's very good to be sure but it's simply overrated. I think that's because it's a PlayStation exclusive. Most exclusive games on that platform that are actually just mediocre just get high scores because they look pretty and has the Sony brand on it.
  20. Nov 13, 2013
    This is an amazing PS3 exclusive, a must buy for console owners.

While I do believe the game is slightly overrated for reasons I'll be noting in the review, it is definitely the best PS3 game I've played this year.

The game is just georgeous, there was a lot of effort put into details. Animations are realistic, and the environment is amazing. The art direction of this game did an
    awesome job, and to think this game runs on a 2006 console is astonishing.

The gameplay feels great. It is not exactly fun all the times, but it's realistic enough, and coupled with the game's great storyline, it will keep you in front of your tv for hours.

Both Ellie and Joel are quite likeable. The voice acting, sound effects, and music in general are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson both did a great job.

The multiplayer isn't really a major deal, but still, it is a nice bonus. Interrogation mode, which was added with an update is a really innovative mode. Managing your crew through the 12 weeks is actually fun and challenging.

Now, about the flaws...

The game is mostly linear. You'll have to play the way it's meant to be played. If you try to fight in a place that ND wanted you to sneak pass or vice-verse, you'll have a hard time.

A great example of this is the Sniper part. Unless you get yourself to the house he is, you can't progress the game. Even having a sniper rifle yourself, you can't kill him. It's just a ghost gun firing at you. Four times in a row in some instances (sometimes he doesn't have to reload).

Enemies have unlimited ammo even though supplies are limited in this world. Upon death, the chances of them dropping the ammo they were using is quite low, especially on a higher difficulty level. It's not exactly a big deal, but it would be more immersive if they actually would run out of ammo and try other strategies to deal with you.

The game lacks replayability for those who are not completionists. Sure, there's a lot of collectibles and trophies for people to get, but most players would just ignore stuff like that. Yeah, there's multiplayer, but as I said before, the multiplayer isn't a major attraction of the game.

I've played the game on version 1.3 and yet I had some annoying bugs, including characters aiming with no weapons (even my own character), bad AI, actions not working (like, once I needed to help Ellie get to a ladder, but there was no "Press triangle") clickers grabbing me through walls (happened twice only, but still pretty annoying) among others.

And last but no least... There's no way to install the disc version of the game. That's really bad, because if you play the disc version, you will encounter frame rate issues (first time you see a horse in the dam, for example) and the loading takes a lot of time. But that's about it.

On everything else, this is truly an amazing game, definitely one of the big games of 2013. Really worth buying!
  21. Jun 22, 2013
    This is probably the best game I've ever played, the game himself is gorgeous, the characters are so deep, the end of the game is brilliant, the multiplayer is new and innovative!
  22. Jul 17, 2013
    I don't think this is the absolute masterpiece game of this generation, but I do however believe that it is still an excellent game with a great story, gameplay, presentation and even multiplayer. The single player campaign contains probably developer Naughty Dog's best story they have ever produced. The characters Joel and Ellie are some of the most enjoyable, memorable and real in gaming. Everything in this world from the people to the environments to the weapons all feel real. It's obvious Naughty Dog put most of their time in making their world and characters as immersive and tangible as possible and they completely nail that aspect. The way people talk and interact, the open environment and the limitations on supplies just make this actually feel like a living and breathing world that could exist (not to mention that cordyceps which is the disease in the game actually exists). Easily the best part of the game is it's overall presentation with it's great story, solid script, superb characters, excellent voice acting, and an unmatched environments. The gameplay while not the highlight is still loads of fun. This game is absolutely brutal with excellent animations and sound effects to make each gun shot, punch, strangle, and melee weapon sound real and gritty. The crafting system works well and adds a layer of choice and strategy along with the nice variety of weapons. The game especially on higher difficulties completely limits your supplies, forcing you to play more defensively and since this is a survival game, that's the way it should be. This isn't call of duty, you have to approach each situation with care, stealth, strategy and a choice. Do you want to use your precious amo on this group of infected for a generally easier time which after doing so will allow you to scout for more supplies? or do you want to stealthily take down each one which can be more difficult but you'll preserve supplies and will be able scout the area for more supplies afterwards? or do you just want to bypass them completely at the cost of not being able to scout for supplies but you'll still keep what you have? The choice is yours really. Lastly the multiplayer isn't anything amazing but it manages to implement the single player mechanics into multiplayer quite smoothly. There's a heavy emphasis on teamwork which I really like and the crafting system works really well here too. All in all I spent a lot of time on the multiplayer and probably will continue, but it certainly isn't the selling point of the game. So in the end the last is definitely one of the best games I played in a long time but its not the best. The overall texture pop ups get real glaring and I have come across a few glitches that don't break the game but certainly hinder the experience. But with that aside this is a must own game that offers one of the best stories, characters, and environments in gaming. Along with solid gameplay and multiplayer, The Last of Us is easily one of the Playstation's best games and should be in every self respecting gamer's collection. Bravo Naughty Dog. Expand
  23. Oct 11, 2013
    So far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was a heart-breaker. The reason I proceeded to reviewing The Last of Us despite not having finished the game yet is because I've seen what I needed to see. It is one of those games that grabbed my attention throughout my game-time. Will possibly be one of the best games I played of all the video games I've played. Expand
  24. Jun 30, 2013
    If you follow The Walking Dead comics or Crossed, the story will probably not surprise you. It's almost predictable, but Naughty Dog really knows how to change the game pace at every step and how to decorate a level so you don't really notice that there is only one way to go.
    Honor mention for the multiplier, a very fresh twist over the classic deathmatch. The loading time for every game
    is too much and you will stop playing, probably, and that's a pity.
    It's a really good game, for sure, but the hype, in my opinion, it's too high in this case.
  25. Nov 3, 2013
    After 30 years of gaming, I have no problems putting this somewhere near the very top of any all-time greatest list. I generally don't go for the mainstream AAA titles, but this is an exception, and it is one game that absolutely deserves its praise. Believe the hype on this one, from beginning to end. For those that give it mediocre or low scores, you must just be either looking for attention, or, if you truly didn't enjoy this game, the most boring person on Earth. Expand
  26. Sep 8, 2013
    when the game started out it was fantastic i loved how the beginning was done but after it started the game after that it got a lil boring and at some parts i had to push myself to play more but i'm glad i did cause once you get to the zombie parts it's worth going through the human fights which in my opinion are really annoying, it takes awhile to get used to the controls but once you get the hang of them the combat system is not bad, although it takes way to long to switch one gun and it's frustrating when you're in the middle of a fight and you run out of ammo and have to run and hide just to switch guns, there is ALOT of sneaking so be warned and it is very very easy to be killed by the clickers you cannot even touch them without dying, but all around the story is very engaging and when you go through the whole thing you feel satisfied, the ending was a little weird i thought but you will see, overall a good game, give it 8 out of 10 Expand
  27. Jul 11, 2013
    A Great game, this is one of those generation game that are in that little list called "must have", realistic and reasonably hard (sometimes unreasonably). Would suggest to anyone in a heartbeat. The story itself is a pearl. The game gets 8/10 only because mechanics in the game are not that "new" or do not necessarily bring something "new" the game context, graphic, aesthetic and story are simply amazing. Expand
  28. Jul 12, 2013
    When I first saw the demos for this game, I thought this would just be an interesting stealth/action shooter type videogame, like the Uncharted series before it, but when I was done, I got so much more out of it, there was a nice emotional bond clearly between the main characters Joel and Ellie, I can safely say this has been the best game so far of 2013 that I have played and I have a good feeling it will remain that way, definitely some good memories this will leave. Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Every now and again, a game comes around that gets all kinds of critical acclaim. Many are naturally drawn to the game in hopes of seeing whether or not the game lives up to the massive amounts of hype that it gets. "The Last of Us" is one of those games, and I am proud to say that it lives up to that hype. Naughty Dog, the makers of the critically acclaimed "Uncharted" series and the cult favorite "Crash Bandicoot" series, doesn't pull any punches in this gritty, violent, post-apocalyptic thriller. The best way to describe the game is that it contains the exploration and action elements of the "Uncharted" series with the stealth and story-telling elements of the "Metal Gear Solid" series with the scrounging and weapon conservation elements of survival horror. The graphics are top-notch, the scenery is breathtaking, the storytelling and character development is very compelling, the combat is both satisfying and challenging (especially when you are just getting used to it), and the game just feels incredibly real, as a whole. Bottom line, it is a game that needs to be played in order to feel the full reach of all of its great elements. There are a few items in the game that can be nitpicked, but none of these are able to take away from this amazing experience in a significant way. It is certainly one of the best games of this gaming generation and is a great way to begin the closing out the PS3 era and bringing in the PS4 era. Unless you are into blowing up certain miniscule shortcomings into something that they are not and considering them abject failures worthy of a 0 or 1 rating on the game's part (which many user reviewers rating this game negatively seem to be doing here), you will certainly enjoy this game. If you have a PS3, buy this game. If you don't, this game could easily be worth getting your hands on one in order to play this game. Expand
  30. Aug 31, 2013
    The Last of Us are, until now, the best game of the year. But he is also better than any game of 2012. So, it's one of the best games ever. The story is awesome, the relationship beetwen Joel and Ellie is very good.
  31. Apr 15, 2014
    the initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between the characters wasn't interesting to me and the story's pace was to slow to keep me interested. the 3rd person shooting is straight out of the 90's. graphics are alright. Expand
  32. Jun 24, 2013
    I really do not understand people that review this game and say, "nothing revolutionary game play wise." Yeah, well I haven't played a game that really truly has been "revolutionary". Of course game play gets repetitious, because that's what the game is. That's what every game is and if you enjoy how the game plays then enjoy it. I for one, greatly enjoyed the way this game moved and how it played. I found it to be very smooth and at the same time had some extremely brutal kills. I also enjoyed that I could either, sneak past enemies or take them on up front. The mixture of fighting other survivors and fighting infected was a good mix, and offered well in a variety of situations. It was very enjoyable to plan out my attacks and perhaps my defense.
    The story was exceptional, the cast was exceptional, and the setting was exceptional. I think it would've been awesome to be more open-world but no complaints here because the linear story path was awesome. I thought that the virus was interesting (especially since it's a real virus that occurs in nature) and I wish that was fleshed out more but everything made sense for the story.
    So story, game play, atmosphere, I thought it was all extremely well done and really hope NaughtyDog continues to expand upon this story.
    What surprised me the most is the multiplayer. Wow, I thought when I heard the game had online that it was going to be stupid. A bunch of Joels running around killing each other. Thankfully it is not that at all and actually quite entertaining especially when played with a buddy. Pick either Hunter or Firefly and build up your clan by doing well and winning matches. It's a cool way to divert from other games and shoot it out against others. Woot!
    My only issue with the game is your friendly AI, during parts where you are basically required to be stealthy they are chatting away and running around. The enemies do not react (which thank God they do not because a few parts would be atrocious) but I would've liked to see your friends (Ellie, etc.) to be more sneaky and really nail that creepy atmosphere of needing to be silent. Don't let that detract anybody though, this game is amazing and it deserves all the praise it's getting!
  33. Jul 8, 2013
    I went out and borrowed a friends PS3 just to play this game, and in the end I was not disappointed at all with the outcome. This game offers a very rich and powerful story which engages the players and makes keeps them going. Although, the main issue I had with this game was the lack of compelling gameplay. After finishing the game and reminiscing about what I had just played, it seemed to alternate between 3 main mechanics. Runners/Clicker encounters in mostly dark areas, Human encounters and the used way to often find a pallet and get Ellie across some water. Although the gameplay felt very lacking, the story and amazing voice acting was enough to keep me compelled all the way through.

The next issue I had with the game were the bugs that were so out there, I was surprised they made it through Cert. Some of the issues I encountered were bodies randomly shooting up in the air after being dead for a few moments, scaring the crap out of me (which was kinda funny the first few times); there were some major issues with enemies clipping through objects, or passing right through them; then the major one which would break the immersion was when your allies would run into the open, right in front of an enemy while the player was sneaking through a section, and the enemy would not be alerted at all. I mean I could see this being extremely punishing if the enemies could be alerted by your companions, but at least it would be accurate.

Besides those issues I enjoyed playing through the game and watching the amazing cutscenes. The issues I mentioned above are not nearly enough to persuade me into giving this game a bad rating. For players looking for maybe one of the richest story driven experiences seen on either console of this generation, I would defiantly recommend picking this game up.
  34. Oct 31, 2013
    First off, the game is good. But I'm just so let down by the fact that what started as an epic horror-zombie survival game was actually a fight the bad guys adventure action game. The zombie and horror parts of the game are fantastic, but they are only about 20% of the game. Most of the game you fight military or paramilitary soldiers, and while those parts are good, I would have liked more survival style gameplay. Expand
  35. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is purely outstanding and has one of the most realistic game playing feelings compared to other survival games. Amazing graphics, gameplay mechanics, voice acting and really has a similar Uncharted feel to it. I like how you can explore almost anywhere you please for items or ammo or collectibles and etc. Ellie is a cool partner to have along the way, but honestly she isn't as helpful as you would think in close combat situations, you are pretty much doing all the work, but hey thats what games are for right, it would be boring just to see your partner do everything. Plus there is the occasional glitch with surroundings and enemies every once in a while, for example I was sneaking up on an enemy aware of my presence, and when I got really close to him, he disappeared and was far behind me, I suggest the game might need an update. Ignore all of that, and you have an amazing story followed but many intense moments and an almost realistic looking plot line to follow it, The multiplayer is really creative, I think in opinion it has a Mass Effect feel with all the factions to go around it. Great game, highly recommended. Expand
  36. Jun 22, 2013
    Just beat the game on normal and it took me about 16 hrs to do. I can see how this game received so many "perfect" scores but I can also understand how a little overhyped it is. The graphics are only decent due to the occasional frame rate drops and some areas that don't look as nice. The gameplay is awesome at times but again is hindered by frame rate issues sometimes. I really liked the overall presentation of the game and the great soundtrack. Although there were some sequences I really didn't enjoy playing I give this game a 9 because I support Naughty Dog for being outstanding game devs. I'm hoping for some interesting co op dlc but that probably won't happen. I haven't played mp yet but I will soon. Overall I think this game is yet another great AAA game from ND and I will most likely replay it until I get the plat. Expand
  37. Jul 14, 2013
    I loved this game. It loved me back

I turned into a monster and the game new that. It then lead into monster terrritory and released me.
    TGhed game was amazingly good this hoop is the worst
  38. Jun 20, 2013
    Possibly one of the best and now my favourite game of this generation. I cannot fault it, the design, story, characters, music and of course the game play are all sublime, this game will go down as a classic for all the right reasons and i don't want to give anything away so i wont go into it but you really have to get this.
  39. Jan 30, 2014
    I had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is the game with the best story i've ever played!! I think every ps3 owner should buy this game before upgarding to ps4! Thank you Naughty Dog! Expand
  40. Jul 19, 2013
    wow what a great amazing game naughty dog did it again after the amazing uncharted and brought us The last of us first let's talk about the graphics the graphics in this game are up good they're so good best graphic ever on ps3 ,the lighting the shadows the way their mouth and body moves is so realistic you feel like they're real people ,The gameplay familiar?yes awesome yes, it is as if naughty dog wanted to tell capcom you didn't have to turn survival horror into action to succeed also the crafting in this game is awesome some games make it bad and makes you hate it but in this game it's easy and works really well the ammo is a bit rare in this game but you'll end up saving many ammo as the game urges you to play more stealth which by the end you'll be so good at it stealth kill in this game are amazing when you strangle someone the man tries to resist you'll feel like that's how strangling should be ,the story in this game is so damn good it has so many emotional dark and sad moments you'll ever see in a game and the ending believe me you'll never see it coming but after all that what naughty dog did really well in this game is the AI it so good although friendly AI can be bad at some moment bad the enemy's AI is so good for example i took one as a human shield but his friend shot him and killed to be able to kill me that's AI right there in the end i loved the character loved the story and loved the game play
    so is this an overrated game no believe me it deserves to be one of the finest games of this generation
  41. Jun 27, 2013
    This is an absolutely great game that grabs ahold of you from the opening scene and doesn't let go. Graphics are amazing, gameplay is polished and the soundtrack sets the tone for all of it. The only minor complaint I have is that "the infected" don't play a large enough role.
  42. Jun 21, 2013
    This is the best game I have played in a very long time. I really cared for the characters in this game. The voice work, graphics and attention to detail is amazing. The only reason that I do not give this game a perfect score is that the AI can be a little unintelligent.
  43. Jun 20, 2013
    I have been a gamer for many many years and I have to say,this could possibly be the best game i`ve ever played in my life.Everything about it is amazing.The story,the acting,the gameplay. Everything.I don't want to spoil anything for you so I wont go into detail,but the story is so enthralling.It just sucks you right in.Even the multiplayer in great.Its not just some tacked on trash.Its actually great and it ports over the single-player experience perfectly.I would recommend this game to anyone.If you have a PS3 you must own this game. Expand
  44. Sep 22, 2013
    This is basically PS3's last hoorah before the PS4 comes out and they sure didn't disappoint. This game excels in almost every way. The graphics are beautiful, the voice acting is well done, and the gameplay is excellent. I didn't think it was possible to actually care about video game characters until this. Be prepared to get lost in the story; all of the highs and the lows, the never-ending tension of what or who might be around the next corner, and the paralyzing fear of trying to sneak past a group of clickers.

My only critiques would be that I found myself occasionally going the correct way when I meant to be exploring and would accidentally move into the next map and not be able to go back and explore further. Also, I found the final part of the game to be so difficult and frustrating that it basically disconnected me from the story and reminded me that it was all just a game. A bit of a letdown for how much real emotion I had invested in these characters. Still, this is a must play!
  45. Jun 20, 2013
    I have to say, this is definitely one of the best game I have ever played in my life. And when the reviews said this game takes 16 hours to finish, they weren't kidding.

Let's pick the obvious positives that this game nails: graphic, atmosphere, voice acting, music and gameplay. The graphic is like Uncharted 3, but with more realistic gore and with a post apocalyptic environment that's
    like Enslaved with greens all around. The character's facial expressions itself looks almost photo realistic with great voice acting from each characters. It's easily the best graphic I have ever seen in any game period. The music fits the various situations of the game, ranging from beautiful soft somber music to upbeat when going into battle.

The gameplay itself is also excellent. It uses a modified Uncharted engine which makes hand to hand combat feels brutal and satisfying to pull off. Each enemy takes 7 punches to kill, but you can grab a weapon like a baseball bat to increase the melee damage that takes enemies out in 3 hits, or even better a bladed weapons that kills them with 1 hit, though weapons can break depending on their durability. Shooting weapons in the game feels powerful and awesome, but the game is very2 strict on ammo though. The max ammo that you can store for the handgun for example is only 21 bullets, revolver is only 18 while the rifle is only 7. You can upgrade the maximum ammo capacity but it'll only give you 1 bullet extra that you can store per upgrade, so every bullet counts. You can also build various tools such as a shiv or a small dagger and a Molotov to roast enemies into dust that can be crafted by having the right ingredients. If you want to see the game in action, look no further than the E3 2012 demo. You can do everything in the demo in this game, and as you can see from that demo, the enemy ai is smart and will react realistically.

People say this game is an action adventure survival horror game, but I personally believe it's more like Splinter Cell Conviction only without the ability to do mark and execute and without the ability to climb like a monkey, and a lot more gore. This game is very heavy on stealth as every encounter with an enemy always involves hiding from them and outsmarting them to take them all out. If you go out in the open like usual third person shooter games nowadays, you will die quick. So I suggest doing stealth kills really often by getting behind an enemy, press triangle and press square to immediately knock them out unconscious. Or if you are gunned down, either go behind an enemy or beat the crap out of an enemy up front until you can press triangle button to use them as a human shield. This is one of the save way to shoot at an enemy without getting killed, so I recommend this strategy often as it save ammo and it feels badass.

The upgrade system in this game comprises of 2 categories: weapon upgrades and skill upgrades. For the weapon upgrades you have to collect gears to get enough points to upgrade a weapon, and occasionally you will have to collect a toolbox to allow further weapon upgrades. Skill upgrades on the other hand requires you to collect vitamin pills....... yeah you heard that right, you have to collect vitamin pills to upgrade your skill. Pretty funny. I recommend stacking up 75 pills to get the useful skill of counter attacking the "clicker" mushroom head enemies and not buy the other skills before you got that. These mushroom heads are a pain in the ass to kill. You have to collect daggers, or shiv, to stealth kill them or else you will have to beat them up JUST in time before they grab you or shoot them from afar. If they grab you and you don't have that skill I mentioned or you don't have any dagger, you're instantly dead.

The game's multiplayer is pretty interesting and very well done. Unlike the usual multiplayer games with modes like capture the flag, free for all and team deathmatch, this game only have 2: raid and survivors. Raid is team deathmatch only with 20 allowable respawns per team, while survivors is like Counter Strike. At the main menu, you can choose between 2 factions: Fireflies (good guys) and the Hunters (bad guys). After you select your faction, you are given this interesting micro management minigame where you have to handle survivors staying in your camp. So basically, you have to kill enemies in multiplayer and collect blue pills as required by the survivors in your camp. If you perform well, the number of survivors will grow and the more they are the more items you unlock. But if you don't perform well in multiplayer, the survivors can get sick and get hungry which will decrease their numbers.It plays exactly like the singleplayer and it makes for some intense hide and seek battle.

Overall, a must buy for every PS3 owners out there. One of the best games of this generation.
  46. Jul 27, 2013
    I've always been a Sony guy but not everything Sony has done is great (check Motorstorm, Playstation All-Stars, and the original Killzone). This game is one that truly caught me off guard. I originally wrote it off as being Sony's attempt at cashing into the Survival Horror genre but this was not the case whatsoever. This is Naughty Dog's swan song for the PS3 and this current generation of consoles. Only a couple of games really come close to being this good in this generation. The story was amazing, the graphics are very impressive even for PS3, and the gameplay is perfect for this type of game. I get why this game gets a lot of criticism but it doesn't (and shouldn't) be compared to any other game. If Naughty Dog could surpass Uncharted 2, then they truly have limitless potential. 10/10 Expand
  47. Feb 25, 2014
    play this just play this nothing more great story great graphics great gameplay this game is a masterpeace nothing is bad just play it and you wil get it.
  48. Jul 3, 2013
    Great game, no doubt, but.. it's seriously not as great as people are making it out to be, "Game of the generation" etc. At least not to me. It has repetitive, generic gameplay, but it does capture the feel of adventure and survival well. Definitely one of the best of 2013, but it's a bit too overhyped. Also, I felt that the ending was one of the weaker parts of the game, but the overall journey was pretty good. Kinda dragged a bit though, specially around the first quarter of the game, but it does pick up around the halfway point. Amazing sound, dialogue and characters, I actually enjoyed the cutscenes more then anything. The graphics weren't that amazing to me, but I also game on PC, so I'm a bit spoiled. Environment was done very well and fit with the entire setting and story.

All that being said, I actually think this would work better as a movie or TV series then a game, mostly because the gameplay just seems to be there just to get you to the next plot point. Other people might disagree, obviously, but that's how I thought of it.

Even if you're not playing for the gameplay, and I wasn't, it's worth to see it all the way through the end just because everything else holds the game up.
  49. Oct 7, 2013
    Lets face it... you know this game is good. But you wanna know how good? I gave this game a 9, but instead of praising like everyone else I want to point out the minor flaw, repetition. It only took me a few encounters before I could exploit the enemy AI. Soon enough I began handling all encounters the same way. It didn't take away from the tension though. If your not burnt out on the zombie theme this game is for you. Naughty Dog has cemented itself as one of the best studios in gaming history this generation. Expand
  50. Jul 24, 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it... Along with Skyrim and GTA 4, these 3 games are the best in the last 5 years. The Last of Us the best of the 3. I would say this is in my top 10 favorite games of all time. From a dramatic story to exceptional game play you will be amazed. The graphics however are the best part of this legendary game. A must play for all with a PS3
  51. Jun 21, 2013
    A truly amazing game of epic proportions. The character development in this game is simply unmatched. Compelling from beginning to end. Naughty Dog is one of the best developers in the industry and continue to prove that over and over again. Joel and Ellie are two of the best characters in gaming, their relationship has it's ups and downs but they always seem to overcome the odds. They have both been through so much and each come to rely on one another more than they know. The gameplay is great. You have to be extremely tactical when approaching each encounter. Ammo and supplies are scarce so you need to be smart. This is a true survival horror game. Took me 18.5 hours on my first play through and currently going through my 2nd play through on new game+. It is easily in my top 5 games of all time. To sum it up The Last of us is simply a masterpiece. Expand
  52. Jun 21, 2013
    Quite possibly the best game made since gaming became a thing. From here on, it can only get better as Naughty Dog sets the bar yet again for how a game should portray a story and mix it with deep and calibrated gameplay. What games such as this can do is why gaming is a unique medium in entertainment. You cannot get an experience like this in a movie or a tv show. Top-notch acting, story, characters you care about and can relate to, polished settings as well as controls and gameplay that, contrary to naysayers, is not repetitive unless you make it so; as with any other game ever made. The few negatives are the usual, trivial problems that should not detract from a game such as this for anyone: AI going unnoticed clearly in view of enemies which can smite the illusion and extreme gore which isn't even a negative but definitely something not for everyone. However, gore can be turned off. Do not be turned off by people saying the game is overrated, it is not. There is a reason why critics and users alike love this game. Go ahead and buy it, in any case you will be participating in part of history. There is nothing to lose. Expand
  53. Jan 20, 2014
    I've been a gamer for over two decades now (ever since the original Nintendo), and I can firmly and confidently say that this is THE best game I've ever played.

This game without a doubt deserves 5/5. I feel that anyone that gives it less didn't get what it was trying to do. This isn't a standard video game. It's primary purpose is to tell you a story. An interactive story, where you
    actually feel like you're there with the characters, experiencing everything with them as they experience it. It's something books and movies can't quite pull off, and is video game specific. Even among games, it's extremely rare that a truly successful and well-done interactive narrative can be pulled off so successfully. Everything really matters.

The only downside I can think of is that there is a ton of swearing, and a pretty decent amount of violence, so this game isn't for the little ones below 10 years. Also, the AI does odd stuff occasionally. But virtually everything else is virtually flawless, breath-taking, heart-breaking, and intense. The writing, art & environments, acting, and music are all above top-notch. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, whether it be due to wondering what's lurking around the corner, or to hear what interesting tid-bit your in-game companions will say next.

This game is for anyone and everyone that appreciates a good story. If you've ever enjoyed a fictional book, movie, or video game, in your entire life, you owe yourself this experience. Do what you have to do, to become the last of us. You won't regret it.

P.S. You should really read the very short prequel comics first (before playing the game), written by the head writer of the game. They're official storyline, and really do add a lot of little neat things and details to the game that you wouldn't appreciate or would miss otherwise.
  54. Rem
    Jul 10, 2013
    The Last Of Us is not only one of the greatest Playstation 3 exclusives, but one of the greatest games of the year. As Naughty Dog continues their heritage for outstanding graphics and audio, they set a new benchmark with their new setting. However with this new setting comes a drawback: it feels too familiar. This may be its greatest weakness as even though the virus that sets this all up is intriguing it doesn't strike the same feeling as when you are not in Kansas. Also another drawback would be the sense of immersion. Majority of the time it's amazing, but NPCs not being detected even in the open, and they do stupid things at time. The gameplay is similar to the Uncharted series, but has improved. What The Last Of Us lacks in setpieces from Nathan Drake more than makes up for in emotions and character development. I recommend anyone to play this game on the PS3, but watch out for the maturity of it as it explores themes that gaming has never touched before. Expand
  55. Jun 19, 2013
    I can't help but give this a perfect 10. This was one of the best journeys I have taken as a gamer and as a lover of a beautiful story told through gameplay, conversation, gestures, relationships and the evolution of an individual and their experiences. I have never felt so immersed in a game and felt so connected to the protagonists. Never felt cheap and always had a surprise around every corner. A hefty 16 hours to beat and huge replay value. Bravo Naughty Dog. A masterpiece in every sense of the word. Expand
  56. Jun 20, 2013
    Why are you reading reviews?? Go buy the damn game already! This is seriously the game that can offer you THE best apocalyptic movie experience. This game was very well executed. Graphics are well designed, brilliant models and textures. Every moment in the story line is engaging and you bond with the characters so well. This is not just a 3rd person shooter, you actually need to preserve your ammunition and only use it in emergencies. This being said, it is quite hard to stay calm with adrenaline pumping through your body while you are surrounded by infected. Expand
  57. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All though I've watched it only and haven't played the actual game I believe that it is as close as we will get story wise to heavy rain on this generation of consoles. If this was on PC I would have paid up to 50 dollars for an experience like this it emotionally like the walking dead. I got a bit teary eyed when the daughter died at the beginning because she was funny. Expand
  58. Dec 21, 2013
    I waited until the end of the year to say this but this is definitely the greatest game of the year. A really emotional story with great gameplay, fun multiplayer and a good enough soundtrack (but check out the end credits song The Path by Gustavo Santaolalla, it's one of the greatest soundtrack songs ever)
  59. Jul 27, 2013
    ***MINOR SPOILERS*** Single player: I don't understand many decisions in the plot such as joel's girl dies and then we are suddenly 20 years in future and not knowing what the hell happens that time. WHY?! The plot is sometimes kinda lazy, but there are many nice moments too. Game mechanics works well, but underwater mechanics are poor. Friendly AI is kinda annoying they block your path and run everywhere, but as what i have noticed they don't get noticed by enemies of course if you are hiding and not seen by enemy .

Last of us is emotional and powerful, but is nothing to compared to walking dead series by telltale games. Tho developers did try something similar. You don't get that much emotionally attached to the characters as in walking dead.

Cut-scenes were amazing they were really realistic and graphics in general too. If you like hunting trophies...Well this is not game for you. In best you have to go past the game at least almost 4 full games and the collectibles...Why? There is really no point getting them other than for the trophy. Please don't put them on games anymore. No one likes collecting them. I was damn bored to the game after 2 play throughs. This game is linear as hell sadly :(

Multiplayer:

Multiplayer in last of us is actually very good and fun to play tho it lacks variety such as: more weapons, maps, game modes and i (personally) would like more customisation items. You really have to play as team to win. Pro tip: When you get first aid training 2 use it. Its amazing parts.

Closing thoughts:
    Well I can say that this game is very good ps3 exclusive and is for sure worth the money. I give singe player a 8 out of 10 because it lacks on strong emotional feelings AND IS DAMN LINEAR, but awesome in first play through.

I give multiplayer 9 out of 10. Multiplayer is kinda missing maps, modes and more weapons. They really should've been taking more time to multiplayer.

I GIVE TO THIS GAME A 8 OUT OF 10.

Hopefully you find this review useful.
  60. Jun 20, 2013
    If the Last of Us has shown us anything it's that a linear 3rd person action-stealth game with no truly original gameplay mechanics can deliver one of the finest, most intense gaming experiences ever created. The gameplay is not revolutionary, 3rd person stealth mixed up a bit with a see through walls mechanic is definitely not new but there is a huge level of polish with the system. This is one of my favourite cover systems in a game, you crouch and in true video game fashion all walls are a convenient height for you to hide behind but transitioning in and out of cover is seemleess because there is not transition. you are not locked to cover and are free to move anywhere. Another thing that shines is how real bullets feel, when shot you will not only flinch, you will fall backward like you are actually hurt and there is no regenerating health and health kits are not instant either, you take time to apply them which when not considered can be fatal. Crafting is awesome because you are never pulled out of the game. Story and atmosphere are what trulky bring the game together though. This is not a happy story about saving the world from the apocalypse, its a personal journey about the relationship between Joel and Ellie and how they care for each other, the emotion between them and how they're companionship grows. Ellie is a great companion to have not just because of her usefulness in tricky spots, but because she is so human. She asks questions about what life was like before and watching her change throughout the story is brilliant. The journey with these 2 characters takes place in a world with some of the best graphics in gaming history with such intricate attention to detail. Everything in the worls is placed there for a reason with notes scattered that you take the time to read because they look human. This helps create one of the best and most immersive atmosphere's in a game. Lets not forget of course about the infected, the whole reason the world is like this at all. The game is mostly balanced between fighting human and infected but you fight humans a little more often so its surprising that most of your deaths will come from the infected. Hearing the sound of the clickers, infected that are blind but have sensitive hearing creates for some very tense gameplay as you try to sneak past. This game is riddled with these tense moments. It is taking some highly polished gameplay and wrapping it in a beautiful immersive world that revolves around Joel and Ellie. Most people that say the game is boring have only played the first couple of hours and if they have finished it they just don't understand what the game is doing. You must play this game alone, with no distractions like chatrooms and play in long sittings and just let the game fill you up. One of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Expand
  61. Mar 12, 2014
    Please note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept a gun out every time she went alone to open a door or pull a lever. Naughty dog has definitely done their job on creating and atmosphere that you fear every door and corner you pass. This is definitely one of the top ten best games ever made. I completely recommend this game to ANYONE. I really feel like I know Joel and Ellie on a personal level, after playing this game. If you haven't played this game, you should be ashamed. GO OUT AND BUY IT KNOW! Expand
  62. Jul 21, 2013
    simply amazing, a must play. you must buy this game the story is simply perfect. and naughty dog finishes it off with a quite good multiplayer offering for replay ability
  63. Jan 6, 2014
    If you look at it for what it is, the last of us is really just a 3rd person cover based shooter with stealth mechanics, very much like tomb raider or uncharted. But that isn't what makes it special. What makes the Last of Us special is the story, the characters, the world that is created, one you feel a part of and immersed in.

The last of us proves that functional controls and an
    amazing story are a winning formula for games. Expand
  64. Aug 18, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a solid Third Person experience. While not offering anything new in means of gameplay, it does give a fresh yet deep story were you can hook easily.
  65. Oct 8, 2013
    We really haven't seen a game with a good narrative like The last of us. It is an awesome emotional game that really touched me. The voice acting was Phenomenal
  66. Jul 4, 2013
    I give the story a 10, the graphics a 9, gameplay an 8, and mulitplayer a 6. Story This is one of the best stories in video games. Starting right from the beginning become invested in Joel's story and when Ellie comes along, their relationship is what drives the story and it's almost flawlessly written. Graphics The graphics are as good as you're going to get on the PS3, especially the cut scenes. I could only imagine if they would have waited and released the game on the PS4 and how it would have looked on that. There are a few technical glitches that I saw, but that will happen with almost every game.

Gameplay
    There are some comparisons to Uncharted, however in order to survive, especially on harder difficulties, stealth is key in getting through most of the game. When actually shooting it does feel a lot like Uncharted which is not necessarily a bad thing. One caveat, to this is the fact that Ellie and your other companions you travel with will sometimes walk right in front of enemies without them even noticing. While this breaks some of the immersion, I can see why they did it. They didn't want your success of stealth to be determined by your companions movements which would have made the stealth more frustrating The puzzles in the game and the gathering of supplies to craft items are fairly generic except that when crafting, time continues on so you may have to be quick when crafting something of importance.

Multiplayer
    I have played a little mulitplayer and while it's interesting, it doesn't really appeal to me and it appears to be a fairly large learning curve for it. However, this is not why you buy this game.

This game is on my list for top games of 2013.
    If you own a PS3 and are on the fence about this game, I recommend renting it because the multiplayer is fairly average. If you don't own a PS3, go watch a playthrough on YouTube.
  67. Jun 20, 2013
    The Last of Us is the most emotionally gripping, immersing, engaging, and artfully beautiful video game I have ever played. This is the epitome of what a this medium can achieve given all the right elements. Truly a masterpiece. From the luscious environments, to the most subtle yet enriching interactions, what Naughty Dog achieved is unique and unrivaled. I truly cared about the characters, feeling the continuum of emotions as the story took unexpected twists and turns and as Joel and Ellie's relationship grew and developed. This game has been called "the best of gaming", and rightfully so. In any term, this game stands tall to any movie I've ever watched. Expand
  68. Jun 28, 2013
    This must be one of the best games i have ever played. I bought this game, as i wanted a great story game, and the reviews looked great- so i bought it. I was expecting a great game, and what i got was not a great game, it was perfect.

The game has an amazing story, with very deep characters, and intresting athmosfere. I don't think this game was designed to be a horror game, but it
    still is pretty creepy at times. Nor was the game designed on the infected, but more on the story, and around the main characters. Thats a good thing, as you will be pulled into the story right after the beginning. Thats not to say the infected are not intresting, not at all. The infected in the game have diffrent abilities, making it extreamly fun encountering many infected at one time.
    For example the normal walkers, will hear and see you (better eyesight than hearing), and the clickers will hear almost anything you do, but they can't see you. Not to mention they will kill you very fast. I have not seen more than these types yet, but i am certain there is bloaters and more infected later on.

Then theres the multiplayer. The multiplayer is awesome. It is not only focused at teamwork, but also very focused at scavenging items around the maps, to create bombs, smoke bombs, and lots of other stuff. Also what is very intresting is how you have to be careful with your shots, as you have a very limited amount of bullets. The only ways to get more shots is to scavenge dead bodies, find toolboxes with ammo, or purchase ammo ingame with money you have from killed enemies, revives etc. You may also purchase some special weapons ingame, or better armor, or upgrade your main weapons ingame. Its all up to you how you spend that money, which makes the online so intresting. Want a better revolver? Go for it, wanna upgrade you hunting rifle? Go ahead. The game's multiplayer also features character customization, and a great class system, where you can equip diffrent abilities, like faster reviving, faster crafting, and more zoom on your handguns.

Well that was my review, i hope you enjoyed it- and that you will enjoy the last of us. Do yourself a favor and buy this game. Sorry if my english is not that great, my main language is not english
  69. Jun 20, 2013
    This is really the first time in months that I have played a game and enjoyed playing it as much as I should.

I don't want to go into detail about gameplay mechanics and other shenanigans because I'm sure you heard about them before and if you haven't, check the next review right here and you are sure to find an insanely long and boring description of what cannot be described properly
    with words but can only be understood through experience.

Instead I will tell you why this game deserves 10/10 despite the many issues it has, some of them being the fact that majority of the time you will keep dying over and over if you play it on hard and higher and/or suck at the game, or that it can be very mundane and repetitive after a while (coming from a guy who played it for 15 hours straight and finished in one sitting). I guess the easiest way to quickly describe how the game plays is to compare it to a different title. In this case it feels a lot like Tomb Raider with a few differences, such as stealth being a huge part despite having absolutely no silenced weapons the platforming being a little lacking and blatant usage of one hit killing enemies, which I also think is justified.

In any case, yes, the game has a ton of problems, yes, it can be frustrating as hell and slightly boring at times... However, all of these issues, despite sometimes being very major ones, become absolutely meaningless when you take into account all of the brilliance coming from voice acting, character design and the story, which I want to get deeper into without spoilers.

The story... ah, the story. I honestly didn't feel like this game had any story at all, no concrete plot to speak of. It really felt more like... just life. A story is always designed to be something, there is always a plan and no matter how good a writer is, it's impossible to completely conceal the future from the audience because stories are predictable. They aren't real, you can figure out what will happen or assume more or less what the outcome will be. The Last of Us however, absolutely dominated this issue.

It drew me in so deep into its world that for the first time in months if not years, I paid completely no attention to storywriting whatsoever. I wasn't questioning why the writer has made this decision or the other or what may or may not come out of all of the events that took place along the way. All of the time it felt natural. Nothing drove the story forward, it just kept going on its own because... well, what else was it really supposed to do? It felt as real as it gets.

The brilliant voice acting and character creation was incredibly helpful in that respect as well. This is also one of the few times where I felt the crispness of characters. They felt natural. They felt real. It isn't even about the ability to relate to them or them being likable or not. A character doesn't have to be likable to be well designed. I cannot say I specifically liked anybody in The Last of Us. But despite that I got attached to them because their emotion and their story felt so convincing and real. The feelings I had went much deeper then they usually go when I invest myself in video games. Much deeper than they went in The Walking Dead a game which so far was my absolute top and example of how to attach a player to the characters. Here it was different. Here the game has managed to defeat my mind. I no longer reasoned with myself whether or not do something or not or why I am doing it. I did it because I felt I had to. I did it because my heart told me it's how it should be. And afterwards after I logically thought about it I saw how my mind was screaming that nothing about this makes sense and cannot be justified but even then I didn't care and if face with the choice again I would not be able to change my decision.

For this, despite the game deserving a 6.5 out of 10, it gets an entire 10. Not because it was exceptional or perfect in doing something, but because it had a charm. A charm I have found in a number of games lower than the number of fingers in my palms. Because despite my mind saying no, my heart cannot give any less than a 10.
  70. Jun 19, 2013
    After fully beating the game on Hard, I can say that this was one hell of a ride. Some characters you bond with right off the bat, and once there gone, you feel sorrow. The game is extremely depressing at times, but also gives you life.
    The combat is a really nice change up from your average third person games. The hand to hand combat, the gun play, and character movements feel great.

The voice acting also adds to the experience.
    The whole concept of crafting was a nice addition.

Some things that kind of upset me were the fact the graphics did not look or at least as great as the Uncharted games, then again, the tone of the game was completely different, and it may just be the art direction.
    Another thing that really upset me was the character Joel. You learn to love him, but by the end, I got mixed feelings about him.
    Other things that upset me were points such as only finding bricks and bottles to throw. With such a variety of things around the environment, I got the feel you should have been able to use them. Also while finding plenty of bags across the grounds, we could have had the chance to scavenge more.
    There were plenty of pop in effects, and tears in some parts of the game. In environments to be exact.. Another thing that irritated me was the water physics. Not as good as Uncharted. But since this is my little rant on what I did not like. I really cant take points off from Naughty Dog.
    Naughty Dog did a phenomenal job on this game. And although it seems that this is a standalone game, I feel that there is still much to be seen from Naughty Dog for this game, and hoping we see more installments in the PS4 life.
  71. Oct 27, 2013
    This game is a polarizing experience, it made me look at video games as a medium in a new light. The Last Of Us for me was much more than a game. I have never felt as connected to this story and these characters in my life. To me this may be one of the greatest stories told. At times it shocked me, made me smile and even she'd a tear. By the time the credits were rolling I was sitting on the floor just staring at the tv with my jaw wide open. If you haven't played this game, you need to. You won't be disappointed! Expand
  72. Jul 31, 2013
    I absolutely love this game. Every time I play i get drawn into the world an actually feel like I am fighting to survive. Game play is fun and inventive and the characters give of believable emotion. The only reason i give this an 8 is because the graphics are severely lacking. If this would have been on PC it would have been visually stunning. As on now my game of Skyrim looks like ti was released a few weeks ago and this was released in 2011. Putting that aside this game is very entertaining and will provide you with a thrilling story that will have you wanting to come back and play more. Expand
  73. Jun 17, 2013
    If The Walking Dead and I am Legend had a baby it would be The Last of Us. You can truly appreciate the work done here by Naughty Dog. Their heart and soul was poured into this game and it shows it. The story was written by writer of both Uncharted 1 and 2 and he delivers magic once again. The introduction is arguably in the top 10 and the story continues to impress until its final moments. The characters are well designed and the use of experienced actors help convey the fear the protagonists are going through as they adventure into the most detailed environment seen in a game to date. Stealth and kicking in the front door guns blazing fans rejoice! The player determines how they want to take on the game whether it be whipping out the firearm and taking on the Clickers head on or sneak around the corner and Shiv them to death, the choice.. ultimately yours. The use of physical objects is a great touch, however one could argue that there would be more out there then a single brick, a glass bottle, a baseball bat and a two by four to meddle with in a post apocalyptic world. The scarcity of bullets makes the player count their chickens prior to an engagement, a rather nice touch. The sound is top notch turn up the volume and get ready to jump in fright. The music is perfect. There is not much you can criticize this game is the overall package. If the end of the world was from a zombie attack, The Last of Us is a believable representation of what might happen. Overall this game is highly enjoyable and recommended to anyone. Expand
  74. Jul 18, 2013
    Excellent story, characters, graphics, and voice acting. The multiplayer is interesting, but it's a little bare (character skin and maps). Other than that, the single player campaign provides a heart-warming, heart-wrenching, and heart-pounding experience; separately, I give that a 10.
  75. Jun 20, 2013
    I'm calling out Kracatu. You are wrong about this game in every aspect in your review. You are horrendous at reviews. Please, for the love of all of us, stop reviewing. You're on drugs or something
  76. Jan 6, 2014
    First and foremost, I apologise for this language is not my first language but I had to write my first review of a game for this particular title. I've been playing video games my entire life and this game is the most accomplished single player experience I've ever had. The gameplay is flawless, the art design is phenomenal but I'd to point out a single scene that I thought was truly a stroke of genius. Most of the players who have finished this game will know what I'm going to write about. It's the first time I have felt such emotion playing a video game. There is a particular scene where Joel and Ellie are just watching a beautiful scenery and I didn't want to go any further. I knew things could go bad for either of them, so I stared, alongside Joel and Ellie and just cried... And the ending is just awesome too. This is the most mature storytelling I've ever seen in video games (with the walking dead season 1). Expand
  77. Jun 30, 2013
    As the life of the PS3 is coming to an end, Developer "Naughty Dog" makes sure that the console goes out on a bang. And what a bang they created.

The Last of Us is a unique take of the popular post-apocalyptic story telling, creating an experience that feels familiar yet very unique, and in the end is very satisfying. The story revolves around two characters, Joel, an older man who is
    extremely experienced in survival, and Ellie, a 14 year old girl who only knows life in quarantine and is curious about life outside and before the epidemic. A fungal outbreak has decimated the country and has turned people into cannibalistic monsters.

Joel has been given the task to escort Ellie to a group known as The Fireflies, a rebel group fighting the government in control, and also looking for a cure to the outbreak. Throughout the story the player sees the relationship between change from Ellie being nothing more than goods being delivered, to someone whom he really cares about, and his protection of her becomes almost an obsession. This leads to an excellent, and unpredicted ending that will make the player think.

The gameplay is extremely unique and has a bit of a learning curve. It is not a typical stealth game, although stealth is important in order to survive. You can use stealth take downs to kill opponents, or fight them straight forward, or use a combonation of both. Staying stealthy however is quite difficult and you will find yourself fighting often.

To avoid repetition, there are different types of enemies to fight. There are normal human enemies, who are intelligent and react to what you are doing or how you're fighting. There are infected known as Runners, who, as their name implies run at you to attack you, forcing you to fight through them, but you can easily be overrun by them. There are Clickers, who cannot see due to overgrown fungi on their faces, and use a creepy clicking sound to see you using echo location. They are extremely difficult and if they grab you, you are dead. Then there are Belchers, who are massive infected with fungi that act as armour plating and are extremely difficult to take down. Each of these use different tactics to take down and make the gameplay extremely fun and satisfying.

Overall this is a fantastic game that should not be missed by any PS3 owner. The story is excellently written. It grabs your attention and will not let go. The voice acting of Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker are absolutely amazing. The gameplay is fun and challenging. The online multiplayer is unique and fun. This truely was the first game in a while that i did not want to stop playing. If you haven't played this game yet you are really missing out.
  78. Sep 18, 2013
    Before I begin, I must say that I was extremely disappointed with the ending.

The Last of Us definitely was a great game, I actually watched Pewdiepie's playthrough so I didn't experience the game entirely. But I feel that a nine would be accurate, and if I had played through it might have been a bit lower too.
    Almost everything was epic; here are the drawbacks:
    -I didn't mind the
    glitches that much, but they were plenty and were starting to get hefty.
    -Some gameplay was unnecessary in my tastes.
    -The ending was not to my liking.

It was still a great experience though, I recommend it whole-heartedly.
  79. Sep 20, 2013
    Never in my life have I been so emotionally invested and attached in a game before. The only other game that can get there is Bio-shock Infinite. It never lets you forget that your in this apocalyptic world, people die all around you the game is pretty hard to play, its not forgiving. The story is just amazing I love the characters and actually feel some sympathy for them when something goes wrong. The game-play is solid and it adds challenge to each encounter making you never feel at ease. Naughty Dog has proved again that they are one of the best developers. Expand
  80. Nov 12, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece in every sense of the word. Great story, gameplay, multiplayer...and makes you think about it long after you've beaten it again and again. It's fantastic.
  81. Oct 12, 2013
    this game is a masterpiece. The graphics is so amazing and sounds are beauty, but the multiplayer is a little bad and the final, mmm
    Gameplay 10/10
    Graphics 10/10
    Sounds 10/10
    Multiplayer 8,5/10
  82. Dec 14, 2013
    This game is strong and delivers a really strong story that is for people who would like things such as the walking dead. you end up getting attached to Joel and Ellie the two main characters as you venture through the world in a post epidemic. I cant tell the story of this game as there would be spoilers as the game has a lot of big moment's. The side kick in the story Ellie will develop into a real survivor while Joel is sort of like the mentor in a way. The first strong thing about the game is its soundtrack which is not too full of itself as it is not a collage of crazy sounds and noises that you would here in a pop music video. It is real music and you will get to liking it. The second thing I like about this game is the character AI especially the enemy's you will encounter some better than others. My most likable AI is one of the bosses in the game as the AI made the boss fight extremely rememberable and clever. The use of the clickers the infected characters in the game is interesting as you have to literally make sure they don't bite you or its game over no matter if you are playing on hard mode or not. The game play all around is smooth for a third person shooter I don't have much difficulty with the controls while in combat which uses the clever AI I talk about. The game graphics wise is Beautiful and is settings are amazing. The game is not all action or drama there is also horror in some scenario's in which one of these made me scared even with a fully upgraded shotgun. you can build and upgrade weapons and items on your Journey however it took me two playthroughs to do this. The voice acting in this game is great as troy baker does just as good as a job as he has in other games. The last aspect of the game I will talk about is the multiplayer, it is a fun and balanced multiplayer that plays as smooth as the singleplayer game and is at its best with friend's on headset's. This game is possibly the best exclusive Sony has ever published and just before nextgen. Expand
  83. Jun 19, 2013
    Although the game has some flaws (just like any other game) I can stand behind my 10/10 score 100%. Anyone who says this game is overrated either thinks they are mr. Video game 2013 or are nit-picking every little thing just to be different. Sure, if you are playing it on easy your going to kill the enemy within the first 2 minutes of walking into a building, then you will be walkimg around for 30 minutes collecting stuff. But, if you play it on hard you (like its meant to be) you will be sneaking around for 30 minutes finding a solution to killing or avoiding your enemys while getting to your next objective while collecting materials and collectables looking over your shoulder. The graphics are great, if you can thread fibers from a seam on joelsshirt and thats not good enough for you then im sorry people, start inventing. This is the only game to water my eyes, more then once. Usually im being yelled at by my girlfriend for playing a game at 2am, but not this one, I caught her sitting up in bed telling me what to do next staring at the tv saying "Why dont you pick up a brick and distract that zombie?"

There is so much to say about this game im not even going to try and write anymore then I have. Its like a 15 hour movie that keeps you interested the whole time, Ive only watched a few 3 hour long hollywood movies that I could get through to the end. Just pick it up ASAP and see for yourself. The multiplayer is just an added bonus ill be playing for the next 4 months.
  84. Jun 20, 2013
    Best playstation 3 exclusive ever and also the best of 2013 so far.
    If you are someone who buys games for great graphics, amazing storyline, brillant character development and a game that keeps you on the edge of your seat than this is a must buy.
  85. Jun 19, 2013
    Since so many people are saying positive things about this game, I thought I'd put in my own list of negatives. Just understand that, yes, I do love the game. Firing from the hip here. Enemies never Never NEVER stop to reload or run out of bullets. More than anything about this game, it was the gameplay demos that really wowed me. I mean, it looked like Heavy Rain's presequenced events but with total player freedom--it got me to shell out $60 to buy it new! (Note: I like buying games preowned if I have money burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking for that 'Diamond In The Rough' experience I would never get playing it safe buying $60 new.) Unfortunately, the experience of actually playing the stages is somewhat different as you'll die over and over again even on easy. In fact, this is such the case that you'll find yourself PURPOSELY dying because the outcomes will constantly fall short of your expectations. While less cinematically appealing (yet pretty fairly so just the same) I think the same sort of combat was done better and more believably in Splinter Cell Conviction. I really feel it would have been better for The Last Of Us if they HAD done presequenced events--versatile presequenced events--a la Heavy Rain, but this, of course, would have taken A LOT LOT more time effort and money than just throwing a bunch of bots in a stage and saying "HERE!" Oh, and when I say a bunch of bots, I mean a BUNCH of bots, far more than was shown in the trailers, so many, in fact, that the game becomes a parody of itself with the bots in later stages saying "Do you know how many of our guys that lone guy and girl killed? 70! A HUNDRED! An old man and a teenybopper girl! Boy, either we are in a videogame or we are totally incompetent!" And why, btw, do all the scavenging badguys have to be under one badguy mastermind head? What stupid videogame bs is that? I was imagining when I saw the demos, that they were individual clans, like the two heroes, just trying to survive. We should be bustin' caps in or sneaking by other "We're just good people tryin' to survive, oh, and uh, do those shoes fit me?--BAM!" sorts. You know, women and men, old and young. The uninfected baddies, except at the beginning, are all male twenty-somethings mostly equipped with gruff "Kill me, I'm a genuinely bad bad guy in a videogame!" voices. Where are the child soldiers, really? Where are the elders? Which brings me to another point, where are all the child zombies, the baby zombies--please don't split hairs, they're zombies--you think that in a game that shows a fourteen-year-old girl dying in a myriad gruesome ways when the player fubs up, do you really think in that sort of game we should be worried about killing child and elderly zombies? Incidentally this is the same problem I had with the first-person "terrorize the airport" sequence in MW2. Where are the children and babies, the elderly, the fat, the thin, the DISABLED! They were all the same twenty-somethings who seem to be ubiquitous in videogames. If you don't have the backbone to do it as it really would be then don't do it at all, idiots! *sigh* What else? Oh yes, the stupid "Navigate the linear path by finding (a) a plank (b) a ladder (c) a trash bin (fully loaded!) or (d) a palate! (there are a few others I can't think of). This time filler nonsense bothered me even before I preordered the game. In a post Assassin's Creed 2 landscape where anything that looks scaleable should be scaleable there is no excuse for this stupidity. I mean, each of these things weighs a ton! It is an absolute laugh fest the first time seeing the scrawny woman partner at the beginning hoist up a heavy heavy ladder by jump jump jump! shooting it up into the air and catching it in her hands. It is only slightly less ridiculous when the male hero does it. That trash can, I'm looking at you, you wouldn't roll around on those rusty, over laden wheels, up and down uneven, gravely-grassy terrain with the greatest of ease, would you? Cormac McCarthy made this same mistake in "The Road" with the magic shopping cart of all-terrain prowess! The film makers on the movie adaptation learned the hard way that THIS CAN'T BE DONE! They ditched the cart Now, the board, yes it weighs a ton and can't be handled the way they do, it is also straight as an arrow, unbowed, and so strong that when walked upon, stretched to the last millimeter across a gap, doesn't bend or vibrate causing certain death! And Holy S*** talk about a laugh riot, there is a moment that Joel uses a fulcrum to lift so much concrete and mother-load wood beam he might as well have been twirling the earth on his pinky finger! Just watch Bruce Willis try to do much less in DieHardWithAVengence. All of what I have said in this review is more than a mouthful, but that is not to say I don't think it a great step forward for videogames. No, I loved it. I say storytelling trumps story, always. Expand
  86. Jun 20, 2013
    All i can say is all of the people who are rated this spectacular game can't be wrong right i followed this game since i saw the first trailer and on the day of release i jumped at getting it and recommend you do if you haven't already. I'm not a big fan of the survival genre but the games i have played can't even clean the boots of The Last of Us and now it has become the benchmark for game to beat this year in my opinion. I haven't mentioned anything about the games story as i don't want to give the readers any spoilers. Expand
  87. Jun 18, 2013
    Just a beautyful game for ps3!!! Just a right way to end this gen with a such a masterpiece! Looking forward to seee what naughty dog gonna make to PS4. Cant wait ,hope they make a simiöar last of us with the ps4 machine. Couöd be soo awesome
  88. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is amazing, the voice acting is superb as is the immersion and the connection between you and the characters. The graphics on this game are the best on the playstation 3 so far and the lighting in this game is very good and adds to the atmosphere
    The game feels like a single journey to your destination unlike uncharted 3 and it feels more open with more options to complete your
    objective. The game feels really open as you have the option to create a certain weapon once you find materials, this game does a good job of branching small pathways to find extra materials.
    This is one of the best games on the playstations and another great game to the name of Naught Dog.
  89. Jun 24, 2013
    The graphics and sounds are okay so with the slow start on the story and gameplay, it was starting to look
    like a 8.0 game. Then you start caring about the characters and there's a couple of great scenes in there
    that that makes the graphics shine. Graphics are good but not a masterpiece in my opinion. Love the wild animal roaming in the university scene. These are the things that makes
    a game a great place to visit. I would have given this game a 10.0 if it was a true opened world. Expand
  90. Jun 26, 2013
    Wow! what a game. I just played this game for 2 hours And i would say the truth is that, The Last of us is a very good game. Its a must buy game. I would rate it a 10 but i know i cant put it a 10 because everybody puts a 10 on this because is the best game. And if i put a 10, thats pretty much this game is the best in the world. Il gave you some pointers about the last of us. The gameplay is great keeps you very interested. The controllers is easy, reminds me of a game "Uncharted" The characters of the game are great, Great sound and graphic Better than Uncharted Graphics. Naughty Dogs Did A great job again making this game..Anyways it is a must get game for the summer. I know everybody is home for summer vacation, so play The Last Of Us..SO my last saying is, If you like UNCHARTED games, you will LOve this game. Almost a perfect 10 game for me. Expand
  91. Jun 22, 2013
    Simply a Masterpiece! I'm playing it in the US version though I am Italian. Mood, sounds, characters and storyline are in harmony and cooperate to catch up the attention of the player.

Great game, buy it if you don't have already your copy
  92. Jun 21, 2013
    I officially confirm that The Last of Us is the best game ever made, it is an absolute must-play for all gamers, go ahead and rush through the retail shop that so you can buy this masterpiece, it is ok, you can thank me later
  93. Aug 4, 2013
    I suppose you're going to wonder (I hope not rage) after I give this game a 9, well actually I give it a 9.5 as Naughty Dog have outdone themselves with The Last of Us, Keep in mind I still haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet (I know the story) but TLOS represents the best so far of 2013 and the first game that delivers a level of immersion, emotion and gameplay we haven't had for a long time.

Not to ruin the Story, the Plot involves a breakout of spores from the unfictional fungi "cordyceps" that in this story have mutated to be able to infect humans, cut to 20 years later nature has taken back a lot of the cities and landscapes of America you'll traverse as Joel a man now in his 40's-50's who's lost large parts of his life to this epidemic. Joel's mission is to escort a young teenage girl Ellie across these wastelands in a tale that spans all four seasons (approx. one year duh XD), Unfortunately this also means coming across a lot of desperate people who are willing to do almost anything in means of "survival"...

That's as much as I'm willing to say without spoiling the ever expanding story and deeper sense of urgency, the areas in the game are superbly creepy and upsetting, many times you'll find yourself triggering inappropriate conversations with Ellie that do wonders in immersing you and building up personalities that do invest you deeply in caring how the situation will pan out for these characters.

Looking after Ellie I found myself comparing it to the recent "Walking Dead" Telltale games, who do you find yourself caring more for Clementine or Ellie?, I suppose I decided I cared more for Clementine being a younger, more vulnerable person, however I preferred Ellie as she was all the more well developed (also given the fact she's older and well aware of the situation).

That's an argument for fan boys and I suppose I wanted to throw in my two cents. :-)

The Music by Gustavo Santaolalla is superb and deeply planted into my mind as fresh as any memory I had while playing this game, It always shows up at the right time just to pull you in that little deeper. But getting to the gameplay aspects do you finally realize how deep Naughty Dogs efforts were, Improvisation is absolutely essential to survival, you'll get those all important tools to see you through depending on your level of skill at the game yet you'll always find yourself wanting more regardless how much or how little you have, it goes from part drama part adventure to even survival horror seamlessly and it never becomes overwhelming that you'll find the situation and areas you get put into over the top as say the recent Resident Evil games, Start in Africa, finish in a Volcano my Ass XD.

My final thoughts on this game go to the terrific performances from Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson for captivating us so well throughout this story, Motion Capture is starting to really help blur the lines between Movies and Games, Sooner or later I believe that stories like The Last Of Us, will help define how we will view both mediums in terms of the word "ART" and dare I say "Expression".

Final Verdict: I consider myself an avid gamer, no question I went out and bought a PS3 mostly just to play this game. Naughty Dog, I loved Crash Bandicoot as a kid, Uncharted held me over during the 2000's The Last of Us is your Masterpiece, to anyone yet to experience it's entirety I urge you to as soon as. Sublime Entertainment
  94. Jun 19, 2013
    Indeed, a game worthy of the hype.

with amazing visuals, brilliant character development and emotional depth, great voice acting and a lengthy story, the game can keep you playing for ages, not to mention if you really let yourself go in videogames like myself, this game can have you in tears over the simplest of choices.
  95. Jun 17, 2013
    I have mixed feelings about this game, overall the game is awesome and it is a definite buy (greatest hits most likely).

But... I have some problems..
    I felt like I was promised more then what I got. (not content wise, mind you) but mechanic wise, from watching trailer after trailer and game-play video after game-play video (prior to release), I felt like the game was more serious
    (towards weapons) then it currently is.

For example, there is a game-play video (from E3 2012) (one of the firsts, and it's obvious they made some changes to the story and the way you get to certain points are different then the video) but it was the game-play that stood out (in the video), bullets were scarce and the fighting seemed extremely realistic (as you point a gun to someone who doesn't have one (they will act all scared and flee or beg for their life), I have not seen this once (even at the same location). Usually the character just fights you even if you have a gun, I felt stupid pointing a gun to someone as they just flailed at me with their fists.

I guess I can't expect a game from Naughty Dog; that never promised anything, and from a video that is over a year old.

The real reason I played the game though (and kept playing through thick-and-thin), is for the story.

What an amazing story.

Bravo Naughty Dog.
  96. Jun 18, 2013
    The low scores surprises me. This game is awesome in both story telling and compelling you to play. It is top notch in presentation and the game mechanics are tuned and tight. Want to try a stealthy approach...go for it. Balls out-guns blazing...give it a shot.

I give a nod to ND as I did love Uncharted 3 but I am rating the game on this game. Not every dev puts out a stunning
    game.(Blizzard Diablo 3 was a let down for me and I am a Blizzard fan.)

If you own a ps3 you deserve this treat.
  97. Jun 19, 2013
    Para mim o melhor jogo deste ano até agora, ótima história unido a um gráfico exelente. Parabéns Naughty Dog. Pena não ter mais jogos deste nível no mercado atualmente.
  98. Jun 21, 2013
    Uma história fantástica, ricamente ambientada e, na contramão da maioria das histórias, temos uma relação de amor paterno se desenvolvendo entre os protagonistas. O jogo linear, sem impacto das ações do jogador sobre a história ou seu desfecho, e isto, de maneira alguma, um ponto negativo. Recomendadíssimo!
  99. Jun 19, 2013
    Great cinematic, fun game overall movement is kinda clunky but forgivable. weapon use is not the smoothest but the game gives you the feel that this is on purpose. overall i love it
  100. Jun 19, 2013
    I love the fact it feels so realistic and believable every decision I make I feel like it is me doing it!!

Best Zombie/Survival game I've ever played **Joel is the man**

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]