• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 29, 2013
    TLOU=The Citizens Kane of Gaming
    No other game has grasped me like TLOU has, TLOU is a game for the ages and one that has redefined an era of gaming.
    -Characters: The characters in this game are very well written and deep especially Joel and Ellie. The constant chatter between the two makes for some of the best dialogue.
    -Graphics: The game looks beautiful and is the messiah of console
    graphics
    -Pacing: the pacing is fantastic because of how varied the gameplay is, you can shoot your way through or stealth kill through.
    -Verdict: The GOAT!!!!!!!
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    I for one, thought that this game was everything I expected it to be. It doesn't matter how good something is, there are those who will find fault with anything. For those complaining about the graphics- what the Hell were you playing it on? I thought it had excellent graphics. The story was well written and the characters were all hardened by their surroundings, but still managed to show the kind of emotion void in survival games. The problem with gaming is everyone has been spoiled with games that cater to the run and gun style. When games come along that actually make you slow down, and have to make a choice with limited ammo, limited resources, and limited options, it seems either some cannot grasp this concept and or they adapt. Just like real life. No game is true to life, especially military shooters. Being a former Marine, I play some of these but find myself amused by the comments of some gamers make in regards to "if they were in that situation". Funny. I really found the pace of The Last of Us to be somewhat truer to form if things were catastrophic. I have played alot of games, and truly have to say that this is one of the best games I have ever played. I felt that Naughty Dog really captured the moments that were important very well. There were parts of the game that made you feel the torment of the character, and parts that made you want to kill. I play both Xbox and PS3, and I really and truly have to say that Naughty Dog has made another epic game that I can only find on my PS3, which has become the norm. If you truly love gaming, not just running around like an idiot, enjoy a game with depth and story, want more than the "typical" game that has been offered up as of late, then I highly recommend this game for you. If not, then expand your mind a little. Their are moments in this game that would make most feel sad or moved somewhat. It was nice to feel something for the characters and seeing their torment and very few highs in a desolate world I really hope that more developers will push themselves the way this company has to make a superior product. Their is no excuse in 2013 for some of the crap being put out. This game should be a benchmark for what can be done if certain elements are combined. Making a survival game that clearly stands above others (Walking Dead was great as well) Naughty Dog proved that making a great game with all the aspects in the survival genre could be done. Expand
  3. Jul 19, 2013
    EXTRAORDINÁRIO! Até hoje um dos melhores jogos que tive o privilégio de jogar, um inicio emocionante, enredo espetacular e final surpreendente.Controle do jogo muito bom, onde em diversas situações preciso ter paciência para realizar uma ação.Gráficos até então não visto em qualquer jogo lançado para esta geração, confirmando que o jogo utilizou todos os recursos possíveis do console.Compra certa para quem gosta de um bom jogo.Garanto, vocês irão gostar muito do que vão ver! Expand
  4. Jun 24, 2013
    Before one dies, there are movies that have to be seen, books that have to be read, countries that have to be visited, and games that have to be played. And one of them is The Last of Us: a truly piece of art. amazing attention to detail, impressive technical aspect, but overall, an extraordinary wrapped in one of the best scripts written for a videogame. I got a PS3 only for this game, and it was well worth it. Expand
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    It is simple. This is the best video game ever made. Really nothing else to say. This game has me speechless. There is real, raw emotion pouring out of this game into your heart. What I learned from this game is that the ends do not justify the means.

If you miss this game, you've missed the culmination of 30 years worth of developing time to get to the point where a game can truly take
    you, emotionally, further than a movie.

This. is. art.
  6. Jun 19, 2013
    I have been a gamer for many years, more predominantly on the PC and I decided I wanted to try a game that can only be played on one console (Playstation 3 of course) This game is by far one of the best games to have ever been created and this deserves it’s spot high up In the rankings, with the likes of other titles such as: Half-Life 1 and 2, GTA IV, Uncharted 2 etc. The Last Of Us has it all; great graphics (even for a console), incredible dialogue, immersive environments, in-depth and satisfying combat mechanics, intriguing plot, well developed characters and the relationship with the characters (especially Joel and Ellie) is just pure magical. The list can go on, there is never a dull moment in this game and the more you play it you will never want to put it down, it actually keeps you wanting more and more. Aside from the single player there is the multiplayer which is surprisingly addictive, it’s a lot more slower paced than your average FPS twitch shooter and it requires a lot of team work. There are upgrades to weapons as well as weapon unlocks so the progression is quite thorough and well implemented. All in all Naughty Dog have created a master piece and this game should not be missed, a highly recommended game for what could be one of if not the only contender for game of the year. Expand
  7. Nov 21, 2013
    This is the most unique game I have played. It plays like uncharted but in a survival setting. Arguably Naughty Dogs best work yet. The story is superb, the graphics are superb, the gameplay is superb. Everything about the game has been perfectly crafted. The multiplayer is pretty addictive, and is different than other multiplayer games. Game of the Year material.
  8. Jul 10, 2013
    If I could sum up the review in one word it will be: masterpiece.

I have played video games for the last 25 years and this game just topped my list of best games of all time. I don't think I have ever played a game on the edge of my seat as I did with this game. The plot/story is amazing and the execution of the actual game-play is top notch.

I highly recommend this game to anyone
    who wants to experience the peak of media entertainment. Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    This one brings movies and games closer together (like Heavy rain did), and I like it. The voice-acting is outstanding. The graphics are great for PS3. The environment is beautiful (I like the seasons they follow). The game-play is great. It takes a while to get used to the guns but they are very different. The story has been seen before but it's told in a great way. You feel very bad when a character dies because you started to care for them after a while. It is one of the best games I have ever played of this generation and before! 10/10. Expand
  10. Jul 28, 2013
    I've played many games throughout my 30 years of living in this planet and The Last of Us is by far the best game I've ever experienced. Never have I cared more about characters than I did for Joel and Ellie. The combat is great and while not perfect (sometimes the enemy AI doesn't see Ellie when it should, and sometimes it doesn't notice their dead comrades as soon as they should), the fact that you care so much about Joel and Ellie makes the combat so much more fun.

The cutscenes are awesome and there's plenty of them in this game. The weapons rpg system is good, you can choose to upgrade the weapons that are important to you and you have many customization options such as increasing the range, increasing the amount of bullets in the clip, increasing the power of the bullets, and increasing the firing rate. You start the game with a simple gun and by the end of the game you'll have some powerful military grade weapons in your arsenal.

The multiplayer is also real good. You have two options, a team deathmatch or survivor mode. Team deathmatch doesn't need an explanation and survivor mode is 5 or 6 rounds of last team standing. If you're not awesome with shooters get ready to be pwned hard, they have some really good players that will make you feel like a nooblet. If for some reason you don't like hearing people talk on the microphone there's an option to mute.

The story in this game is so good, this game is so good that if you don't have a PS3 yet now is the perfect time to get one cheap just to play this game, and if you wait a few months for the PS4 release I bet you will find used PS3s cheap on Ebay and Amazon. I liked this game so much that if they ever release this game on PS4 with improved loading and textures I would buy it immediately.
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    very good game. game is good. play game many time with whole family. recommend game to many player who want good game. ending very emotional. am very upset.
  12. Aug 1, 2013
    The game of my life! That is it! The best game I ever played. Great history, amazing graphics, wonderfull setting and a nice gameplay. I did not tried multiplayer yet, but singleplayer is perfect!
  13. Aug 8, 2013
    Overall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the melee weapons have limited uses. Does an iron pipe rally fall apart the 6th time you hit a zombie with it? The second is ammo. All your human enemies that are armed with ranged weapons will fire ammo like its going out of fashion. You will struggle to find every bullet. If you defeat a human enemy who has being firing continuously at you, you may find 2 or 3 bullets as loot IF you're lucky. So how come everyone has buckets of ammo except you? And where does it vanish to when they die? Finally if you find the M16 assault rifle dont bother with it as its ludicrously undepowered compared to every other gun. Those are small points, but compared to, say skyrim, where NPCs carry the loot they carry into battle the one sided ammo bias does break the immersion. Expand
  14. Feb 22, 2014
    I am confident to say that The Last of Us is the best game that I have played in this generation. Even though my favorite genre is JRPG, I recognize all the developers’ efforts in this memorable masterpiece.

First of all, this game is not a shooter. Every year people complain about the same franchises arguing that they do not innovate. Ironically, games like Call of Duty still continue
    to break sales record over and over. To be honest, I expected that The Last of Us was going to be somewhat Uncharted-like (since it’s from the same studio), but for my surprise it is not. It is all about surviving. You have to make every bullet count instead of shooting frenetically. In my opinion, a game has a good chance of succeeding by not being more from the same saturated shooter industry. Another thing that makes the game brilliant is the stealth system. It completely suits with the survival aspect.

Secondly, I believe that games are not only about gameplay but also story and soundtrack. The cast is memorable and the voice acting is amazing. It is easy to have immersion in the game because you get involved with the events between Joel and Ellie. They are charismatic and somehow invite you to be part of their adventure. One thing that I have to highlight is the fact that this game is not about zombies. In fact, the term used to describe these kind of enemies is “infected”. No banal things like “shoot only in the head to kill them” exist. People are just infected. It is possible to kill some of them unarmed and not by blowing up their heads. Some levels of infection require weapons to kill enemies, but it is a feature that adds challenge to the game. The concept of infected may not be original, but from I gather it is easy to distinguish the infected ones from this game.

For these reasons, The Last of Us is my game of the generation. In a world where console games seems to decline year after year with the advent of mobile and casual games, I cheer that hardcore, innovative and memorable games continue to come. Naughty Dog was able to prove that even in the end of generation there is still hope for old school gamers.
  15. Aug 3, 2013
    Probably the best game I've ever played and arguably everything about this game shines. Naughty Dog have done it again. The Last Of Us has outstanding graphics, good gameplay, sound, and perfect voice acting. The whole game was like playing and watching a movie and I've really never heard better voice acting in a game before. You care so much about Ellie and Joel and there is much character development throughout the game. Supporting characters are very memorable too.
    The graphics and environments are also drop-dead gorgeous, and more than once I had to stop and gaze at the view at the stunning scenery in many of the levels.
    Gameplay-wise it's good and there are many ways to take out enemies, be it all-guns blazing or stealthily, depending on your available resources. A very minor niggle is that sometimes the AI of your companions can be imperfect: they're not really noticed by enemies for example but that doesn't falter from the combat. Speaking of which both the shooting mechanics and physical attacks are simple and very satisfying, and being able to upgrade weapons, collect items, and improve skills is a nice touch.
    Overall, another glorious game from Naughty Dog that will be remembered for years to come. A clear contender for GOTY.
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    This game, this masterpiece truly is the pinnacle of story telling, at the start when you watch Sarah die, well, you know a game is good when watching that makes you cry, this game, words can not explain the power of this game, a video game like this will always find a special place in anybodies heart, this character development, the story telling, no fact that the pase is not broken due to loading screens, the graphics, the atmosphere, there truly is no game like this, it really is the pinnacle of story telling, Naughty Dog, good job guys, you really have defined the true power of video game story telling, absolutely amazing. Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    I loved this game until I was thrown into the woods and saw an arrow go through a baby bunny. And then I had to kill a deer. Sigh. Everything up until that point was excellent. Production values were amazing. Stealth was a blast. The crafting system felt rewarding. And the dialogue between the two main characters was more deep than anything I've experienced in a game before.
  18. Feb 18, 2014
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    Absolutely not "overrated" (which is a word thrown around all too often lately).
    The part that shines is the narrative, the characters, the dialogue, the environment, etc.
    The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil.
    Everything is done right. Controls are great.
    If you don't care about those qualities or the gameplay genre, play something else. If you do play this, do the world a favor and don't rate it because it'd be like a person with no taste buds rating classy cuisine.
  19. Jul 27, 2013
    One of the best games ever created.Missing this game would be the biggest mistake a gamer can make. If you don't have a PS3, go and buy it right now just for The Last of Us.
  20. Jul 9, 2013
    Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic game! best i have ever played so far.
  21. Jun 17, 2013
    I am not going to go into too much depth, but I just want to say something. How could all these positive reviews be soooo wrong as some of the negative raters are saying? These critics know what they are talking about, and they qouldnt rate a game that is So broken, frustrating and overrated".

That being said, the game is a must play for Uncharted fans, PS3 owners, zombie fans, and
    gamers that enjoy emotional story telling with a lot of violence.

Multiplayer will give many hours if you take your time to learn how to play.

Bottom line, play this game because it is one of the best gaming experiences that I have encountered ever.
  22. Jun 18, 2013
    It's been a long time since a game has affected me the way this one has. This is a true masterpiece and should be played by everyone. Everything the two characters (Joel and Ellie) go through, every decision they make, are very real and gives off a sense of atmosphere. We watch as these two grow closer and form a bond with each other to the point where Joel would give up everything for her. The whole game is simply put, a mindblowing experience. The only games that top this is my personal all time favorite series Metal Gear Solid, but that being said this is a close second. I don't know HOW Naughty Dog managed to top Uncharted 2 but they did it!! THEY DID IT!! :D Expand
  23. Aug 7, 2013
    A good movie with overall acceptable gameplay, but without going into the depth with its game mechanics. A lot of potential is missed here. It would be 10/10 if it had been a movie, but as a video game it doesn't bring anything interesting or new to the table. What the game offers: -An immersing 12 hour long campaign with very limited replay value -Overall beautiful but linear level design
    -A given narrative that doesn't interact with the player at any point in the game and based on that a somewhat disappointing ending

-Stealth mechanics that aren't very rewarding or engaging
    -Relatively simple melee combat mechanics
    -Solid but not very impressive shooting mechanics
    -Options to upgrade several abilities and weapons but most of them appear pointless due to being useless
    -Overall not much variety when it comes to progressing in the game In the end you will be strangling punching most enemies to death anyway or you will avoid it when the level design dictates it

-Overall very good voice acting and sound quality
    -Overall good visuals
    -Overall very good and believable animations

This game is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's deserving of a 7 or 8. It's miles away from being the game of the year, though, and it definitely is not the game of the generation. For that all game mechanics are too shallow and the game re-playability is missing. Naughty Dog should have given this project to a movie director, they chose the wrong media format for their story.
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    This year has seen an incredible spike in the quality of videogame storytelling (and GTA 5 is still to come, as well as Beyond: Two Souls). PC gamers have enjoyed strong, narrative-driven games for decades, while console games have generally languished in a gameplay-first, story-second mentality (not an inherently bad ideology, but not one that exactly encourages the pillars of storytelling) during that same period. There have been great stories on console for sure, but the consistency and ingenuity as of late has been unprecedented, and so very welcome. The Last of Us marries gameplay and story in such a way as to set the benchmark for the next generation. This is how you do it. Naughty Dog has taken the framework of the Uncharted franchise, gameplay-wise, and stripped it of its' wild acrobatics and treasure-hunting in favor of grueling survival and supply-scavenging. This ever-present struggle fuels the emotionally-charged, tense, and unforgettable story of two survivors amidst a world gone mad, a story that at times shocks, inspires awe, and breaks your heart. The seamless in and out between gameplay and story, the pitch-perfect pacing, is something that could only be achieved by a studio at the height of its' ability, and the freedom to do so. Sony and Naughty Dog deserve many accolades for this achievement. The game isn't perfect (the enemy AI, which seems to be a common gripe, is a bit simple, and their ignorance of your companions is both bizarre and disappointing, but I still ended up dying 70 times on Hard, so maybe I should be grateful), but the resounding successes of the game bury deep any minor qualms. Furthermore, the multiplayer, which carries over nicely from the main game and features a surprisingly addictive metagame, is a fantastic bonus that only serves to bury deeper still those tiny, insignificant misgivings. I strongly encourage anyone to play this, as long as you can stomache the violence and themes, and judge for yourself. For a game about what could be the end of the world, it makes me look forward to the future of gaming. Expand
  25. Jun 22, 2013
    The Last of Us shows the world that gaming is as legitimate an entertainment form as any other medium, it defines its genre of action-adventure and it is also the biggest reason to own a PS3 if you dont already.
    20 years ago a fungal infection spread across the world, killing most of the human race. Now in the year 2033 the USA is governed by a security force who have herded survivors
    into quarantine zones, they are ruthless and will dish out punishment with extreme prejudice. An underground movement known as the Fireflies is rebelling against them and you, a middle aged man named Joel, are tasked with assisting them in escorting a young girl named Ellie across the country for she holds the cure to the virus that has plagued the world for 20 years.
    The story takes place over roughly a year and shows how Joel & Ellie's relationship changes from two people who are stuck with each other to that of a Father and Daughter scenario. This brings in some great plotlines usually revolving around concepts such as life and death or survival.
    The graphical standard of TLoU is simply mind-blowing, this is probably the best looking PS3 game ever made, from the lighting to the motion capture and textures, everything is utterly beautiful in TLoU.
    The multiplayer is also fun and doesn't compromise the main storylines quality.
    In short TLoU is a 12-15 hour thrill ride. If Telltale's The Walking Dead and Resident Evil 4 had a baby (whilst Uncharted was briefly involved for a threesome) this would be it. The Last of Us is superb from heart wrenching beginning to tear jerking end and once you are done all you want to do is go back and play it again and again.
  26. Jun 23, 2013
    I have got to start off this review by giving a big round of applause for Naughty Dog on yet another great hit, if not amazing. I have to say this is the best game I have played in years, and that's saying a lot with all the games I play. This games story is brilliant, sad, happy, depressing, gross, and somehow pulls all that off. There's nothing here I can say that pulled me away from the experience. Aside from a few visual glitches (arms through bodies, people stuck inside stairs), this games pulls everything together and makes it one of the best games ever made. The shooting mechanics are great, the lack of ammo in the world really adds to the feeling of hopelessness, the letters you find in the game world really put you in someones else's shoes and shows a bit of back story. The prologue of the game was the hook that really pulls you in, and kept me playing for the next 3-4 hours. Also I was absolutely amazed at the graphics in this game, coming from Naughty Dog you already have high expectations and the graphics blew me away. The coolest thing about it is that the load times are so minimal (I have the digital edition, which may make a difference in load times) and the game seamlessly blends cut scenes and action or cut scenes and drama. I also loved the way the characters reacted with each other, there is some really good humor in this game to bring you away from destruction for a bit. I loved the environments in this game, how vines grew up on buildings years old, or travelling through tunnels full of poisonous spores. This game has everything any gamer would want, Uncharted fan or not. Pick this game up now. Expand
  27. Dec 10, 2013
    There is not much i can say about this game. It's a masterpiece in storytelling,pacing and immersion the gameplay is very tight it's almost flawless and the the soundtrack fits perfectly with the game and it's hauntingly beautiful.The graphics and the scenery are breathtaking especially for a game that runs on an 8 year old console. The campaign is EPICLY long!! it took me almost 17 hours to finish it the first and the second time and that's pretty impressive IMO for a single player game which is so good to be this long especially for today's standards, ohh and the campaign itself is EPIC. The game is almost perfect except there are a few glitches which i hated but they are minor problems compared to the full package of what this incredible game offers! Oh and there is MP which is very fun and unique.

There you have it i don't think there will ever be a game that will leave a special feeling in your heart like this! 10/10! if you don't play this you fail as a gamer simple as that.
  28. Oct 22, 2013
    Its ok had one playthrough didn't seem anything special, found it quite easy to do. Can't see what all the hypes about? Really just a lot of shooting and little bit of sneaking mostly...
  29. Aug 8, 2013
    I think of The Last of Us and I think of perfection. I think of a game that is just brilliant and will be looked upon by the future generations to come. The story is brilliant. The gameplay is fun, smooth, and fluid. The graphics are gorgeous. The sound is superb. As for the game…it truly is a masterpiece.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/
  30. Jul 7, 2013
    This is one of the only games I've played that I would call a masterpiece. Never have I seen every aspect of a game work so well together. The story, the game play, everything. It's all so perfect, and so dark. Definitely a transcendent piece or art.
  31. Jun 18, 2013
    A masterpiece, Naughty Dog delivers once again. The last of us is well acted, well written and beautiful as well as dreary and depressing. There isn't a studio out there putting nearly as much care and love into what they do that Naughty dog does. So much care has been put into the characters and story, so much subtle and beautiful animation detail into the faces in the cutscenes. Seeing the relationship change between Joel and Ellie was breath taking and had me shouting at my TV in anger at Joel.

I know what you're thinking... Post apocalyptic, zombie like creatures, no Nathan Drake... Well stop! I understand your pre-conceived notions of how these games are. This isn't the walking dead, it's not Fallout and it certainly isn't Uncharted although the game mechanics share a lot of similarities. The gun play in this game is vastly improved from what Naughty Dog has done before and although sometimes the AI will prove me wrong the AI is much more intelligent. But most importantly killing the AI in this game is more meaningful as you feel like you're protecting Ellie and will do whatever it takes to get her through this world safely.

As a final note I would suggest you play through this without caring for trophies as you will not get the bulk of them until the end of your third play through. I understand the appeal of trophies as I wear my platinum's for all of Naughty Dog's games with pride. But after finishing the game on hard you will only have 8% of the trophies. Good luck and have fun!
  32. Jun 25, 2013
    It's perfect and I honestly don't know what to say other than that. The characters, the environment, the realism, I just don't see how anyone could hate this game (I guess if you have a weak stomach). ND doesn't hold back with this shocker of a game. Some scenes left me breathless with a feeling of "wow, that just happened..."

ND did a phenomenal job and this is my personal GOTY.
  33. Oct 17, 2013
    Purchased GTA v and Last of Us together in a bundle. Played GTA for first two days and loved it. then thought I would give Last of Us a quick go. Two weeks later and it's been the only game I have played, in fact it's the most amazing game I have played on the PS3 since launch. This is the first game I have ever bothered to watch the cut scenes, it's just so compelling, like watching a good movie you can interact with.

Ok so there are some minor niggles, combat could be better and sometimes you can spend ages trying to find a way past something only to find you have to be in an exact position before you see the little green triangle.

However, absolutely love the game, and the graphics can be breathtaking. How they did all this on a PS3 is beyond me, just makes me imagine what they will do with the PS4
  34. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game...the story and characters are what drive you to play more. There are some creepy moments in pitch black, which thankfully give it a sense of horror. There are slight issues (some odd graphical glitches here and there...your partner AI runs in weird places and is completely invisible to the enemy), but it's easy to overlook. It's odd how people are saying in their reviews that they absolutely loved the game, but the AI problem took some immersion out of the game, and then rate it a 0. Makes no sense. All the positivity of what you're hearing is true, so go play it! Expand
  35. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that did happen, with a small glance, a person with a brain can realize that joel is replacing his daughter with ellie, when joel solely glances at something, and that is another amazing part of the game. it is like a movie, they don't have to use words to get the point across, their eyes talk a lot, which is amazing for a game. to the people complaining about graphics, who gives a the game is beautiful, with an amazing story, graphics don't matter, maybe i am biased because i grew up with a colecovision, but the graphics are good enough to see everything in great detail. Finally, the combat is clunky and annoying at times, but it is like that for a reason, this game is not call of duty, the combat is not made to shoot at most parts, shooting (most of the time) is a punishment for not remaining stealthy, anyway you can fix the weapon sway with upgrades.
    Buy it or not, you should buy it, once you start playing the game, it would be hard to let go of it. It is addictive!!!
  36. Jun 16, 2013
    While, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot I was watching a video game and felt like I was watching real people trek through a journey of survival. I think the overall gameplay experience will be a love it or hate it. Like some games that focus solely on action combat, this game focuses solely on survival combat. Theres not a lot of variety between core gameplay mechanics. Its always either stealth, survival combat, or environmental traversal. So if you love those mechanics, you'll love this game, but if you wish for something more, this game may not satisfy you completely. Also, this is not really a horror game, its a survival game. It not scary in the sense that when you see a monster you are horrified by its look and sound, its horrifying in the sense of hopelessness the present world evokes. Its horrifying to see how people now interact with each other because of this hopelessness in the world. The reason I didn't give the game a 10 was the survival of the main characters at times seemed so far fetched and forced to keep the story going. While I know this is just a "game" and pretty much every game does this, I think it stood out more in this game because everything else was so much more immersive. Also, the core gameplay wasn't my cup of tea. Overall tho, I enjoyed Naughty Dog's unique take on the zombie videogame genre. Expand
  37. Jun 27, 2013
    I have decided to wait a little bit before reviewing this game, so that I can let the hype and expectations settle before they cloud my judgement in an early review. However, my opinions of this game have not changed since the first second I played it, and that is that this game is a masterpiece. This game comes as something of a swam song from Naughty Dog on the PS3, a special game to kick off the PS4 and begin to close out the PS3 era, much akin to Sony Santa Monica's God of War 2.

For the record, I am not going to talk about the multiplayer, which I've heard is fantastic, but never played and I don't really think that is what the game is about.

Something you will notice off the bat are the very high production values. There is a great original score, talented voice acting, and top notch graphics and animations in this game. However, all of that would not begin to matter if the game did not come through in the gameplay and story department. Lucky for us, it does.

You play as Joel, a hardened man riddled with grief from a tragic event 20 years before the story occurs. Through some *spoiler-free* circumstances, he is charged with transporting a young girl, Ellie, across a fungus-ravaged United States. The story is really what drives this game home, and is what you will remember it for. There is a range of feelings that you will get from this game, from sadness and happiness to even anger. This is the game that people will be talking about for years to come, and most of that is due to it's awesome story.

Now, this would all be for nothing if it didn't have enjoyable gameplay, something The Last of Us also delivers on. You control Joel for most of the game. Stealth plays a major role and while it isn't technically a necessity, if you want some ammo saved for the more difficult encounters, you will need to keep the noise down. Having such sheer numbers of enemies to face means that the tension really builds, especially with Clicker and Bloater Infected enemies, there is an undeniable tension that you will feel, because one wrong step can mean brutal death at the hands of these beasts. You can turn the tables back in your favour with an awesome crafting system, which lets you create tools of both stealth and war. Create a smoke bomb to stun human enemies while you go in for the takedown, create a health kit to heal yourself, or upgrade your weapon to one-hit kill.

All of this comes together in an excellent package, which not only happens to be the best Playstation 3 exclusive, but joins the conversation for best of the generation.
  38. Sep 15, 2013
    I'm currently half the way first playthrough but there is absolutely nothing that could spoil pure 10 score for this game. Awesome graphics, incredible story and probably most balanced stealth gameplay in history make this game one of top games ever made.

99% people with bad scores for this game are XBox trols because this is their only PS3 review after a lot of Box reviews. If you
    already don't have PS this is one of the games which make worth to buy. Hope they will make PS4 version and give us cheap upgrade!!! Expand
  39. Jul 31, 2013
    A masterpiece. Naughty Dog made yet another masterpiece. This game is as close to perfection as ever: a deep and emotional storyline with an unforgettable ending (and the beginning, actually), hauntingly beautiful graphics with clever level design, memorable soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, engaging stealth-based gameplay and a surprisingly robust multiplayer mode. If I was asked for any minuses, I'd only mention the fact that your AI buddies sometimes act weird, running around the level, sometimes even bumping into enemies who can't spot them. But that's only a minor fault that in no way compromises the game's overall quality. My verdict is simple: if you own a PS3, buy it. If you don't, seriously consider doing so, you're missing out something truly marvellous. Expand
  40. Jul 19, 2013
    The best such game I've every played. Overall, its more of a story than a game experience
    Everything is pretty linear, but that's OK because the point is to get through the story
    The game elements are just spice tasty spice
    The detail to attention is phenomenal as per other ND titles
    Gripping. Never had a game effect me quite this way
  41. Aug 16, 2013
    While this game is a bit overrated, it is an excellent game nonetheless. It has an amazing story that captures and immerses the player. It's a bit predictable at times, but it's so well acted and it reads so much like a book that it is truly something special. The gameplay is not too good though. It's fun at first, but after awhile, it becomes repetitive as the challenge simply becomes: think inside this box some more. It would have been better had there been challenges that forced you to think beyond what you've been thinking for the latter half of the game. However, failures aside, this game is a must play, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Expand
  42. Jul 5, 2013
    NO SPOILERS I promise! To start I was not really interested in this game. I have enjoyed the uncharted series, but survival games really don't interest me at all. I had nothing else to play, so I picked this game up. I have to say AMAZING! So glad I decided to buy this game. The story is just above what other games are producing. I have not played a game in a while that had me so tuned to my TV. A wonderful story that everyone should enjoy. Expand
  43. Sep 27, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feels repetitive. The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story. Expand
  44. Aug 15, 2013
    I am simply lost for words when it comes to this game, it is quite simply the best game I have ever played and without a doubt the best game of our generation. From the heart breaking start to the heart pumping ending, The Last Of Us never once failed to submerge me from the story or game play throughout the very satisfying 15 hour length. What surprised me most about the game was in fact the incredible game play, from features such as modifying/selecting weapons in real time really change the way you regularly play.

The primary aspect of The Last Of Us is stealth. In almost every encounter it is designed for you to clear the enemies out through silent moves, of course it is your choice whether you want to do this or go in all guns blazing, but there is one problem, ammo. The player has next to no ammo in the game and what you will notice quickly is that you will be unable to pick fallen enemy weapons as soon as you have killed them. This forces the gamer to carefully choose when is the right moment to use Joel's weapons as well as being even more accurate with shots.

There is so much to say about what makes this game so perfect, so flawless, but I simply don't want to bore you away if you are reading. But I will say that I came to the conclusion that this was the best game I have ever played half way through the story, and by the time I finished it I preached to the world that The Last Of Us is the greatest game of all time.

10/10 Masterpiece
  45. Mar 23, 2014
    Masterpiece is the only thing that crosses my mind whenever I hear this game. If you own a PS3 and you love video games, it's a crime that you have not played this yet...
  46. Jun 21, 2013
    There are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is the relationships between main and supporting characters. Ellie and Joel have great chemistry, I mean GREAT chemistry. The graphics are also incredible, not suprising coming from the company that got past the steep learning curve of ps3 specs. Overall, a game with not the best gameplay, but an amazing cast and story. Expand
  47. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is a truly phenomenal game,I literally cannot find an issue with it. It will draw you into the characters and make you genuinely care for them, the voice acting is flawless, and overall the game is fantastic from start to finish, and oh god that finish.
  48. Jun 19, 2013
    A superb game from start to finish. Gripping throughout. I'm not sure where the story was taking me at times but I was more than happy with the result. You care about characters, Joel and Ellie in particular. Through every cutscene you feel the characters and how realistically they are portrayed. They breathe, they have scars, wrinkles, glossy eyes, physical features that are lifelike. The Last of Us shines in being the most realistic fictional game I have ever played. The fungi/cordyceps concept of zombifiying people is intriguing enough. There aren't enough good things to say about this game. The gameplay is stupendous, and while it takes time getting adjusted to, it feels fluent and right when you do. There's enough variety in crafting weapons and upgrading them to spice the game up when pacing gets tough. That's one of my only problem are pacing issues, but the game is so damn good and the story is so great that you trudge through the slower spots. Often times the difficulty has unreasonable spikes, but all is forgiven, when you pass a more difficult section, the payoff and reward is well worth it. The single player itself is incredible alone and worth a buy, but the multiplayer works excellently too. You have two characters that just grow so much and it's incredible to watch their journey and participate with them in a dark, realistic, beautiful disaster of a world that feels very real. Expand
  49. Oct 16, 2013
    A good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "been there, done that" feel to them. The puzzles are very easy and almost feel unnecessary in that way. If you are going to include puzzles, at least make the fun and interesting to solve. The scavenging and crafting make sense and fit well in a survival game like this but the system could have been fleshed out a lot more. Finding half broken scissors to build shivs and shrapnel bombs loses it's effect after the 100th time you do it. The graphics are great for a current gen game and the cinematics are integrated well. I tried the multiplayer and it was actually pretty good but probably won't become your new staple anytime soon. Expand
  50. Jun 26, 2013
    I really don't have words to describe how amazing this game is & how many times I stop playing wondering what the GODS from Naughty Dog did, how they create this & that & how amazing the visuals is, the game continue to surprise me in an unbelievable way again & again from start to finish the creativity of the devs & the maturity of the story set a whole new standard for a game of this generation & for video games over all, no reason to say more other than this is now for me the best exclusive on PS3 my previous one was MGS4 but that game is pure magic pure art so TLOU now won that place in my heart, every PS3 owner must play this MASTERPIECE it will be for sure an unforgettable experience. Expand
  51. Jun 25, 2013
    I have played hundreds of games in my life time, from outer space alien shooters to pirate wannabes of monkey island, but never ever have I come to play such a brilliantly created game as Last of Us. The game is perfectly ridden, it has eye dropping landscapes and heartfelt characters. I can not say anything more of this game, it is just the best game I have ever played.
  52. Jun 23, 2013
    Naughty Dog have set the standard for their Playstation exclusives next year and beyond if I had been previously on the fence about buying the Playstation 4, this game alone would have swayed me. I can't wait to see what ND have to offer next-gen.
  53. Jun 24, 2013
    First off about me:
    I don't own a stupid PlayStation 3, nor have I ever owned a PlayStation before. I hate the controller feel.. I have always had an Xbox...

I borrowed my brother-in-law's PlayStation 3 for the past week. I heard good reviews about 'The Last Of Us' video game and rented it at red box to give it a whirl. After 1 hour of gameplay I still hated the controller and
    struggled to learn it but the gameplay was unreal, the only thing I can compare the game to is Half-Life. After 3 days of renting the red box, I had to return the console to my brother-in-law's.. I wanted to finish the game, but not only that I wanted the game. If I could I would re-format my Xbox 360 into a platform that would play this game. I returned the red box, then purchased this game brand spanking new. I played it for a grand total of 14 hours straight, didn't sleep at all for one day just because I was so engulfed into the game, emotionally it was playing my feelings like a puppet, I felt so close to the characters at the end that I feel like I was with them! I beat the game and I usually get all ADHD (I have that) and never pick up a game again after beating it.. But I want to play it over and over again, and I haven't even played multiplayerr yet!
    I was going to get an Xbox One, but after playing this game, I now am banking my whole decision on This game alone. If naughty dog announces they are going to open up to other consoles, I will be getting it on the xbox one. If not.. I'm getting a PS4.
    I am a master at the controller now, and love that game. Keep making more!
  54. Jan 13, 2014
    Everything has been already written and said. It is that good, really! Anyone considering buying the cheapest secondhand peace of PS3 hardware just to give it a try should do it! Afterwards you can peacefully put it away knowing that money were most well spent!! It is that one of kind GAME that makes you totally forget about the thing that you "just playing video games", giving you the single best ART experience throughout all media (music, books, comics, movies etc..) this year.

There are some AI bugs, but you will forgive, for this one is aiming different direction. That is to give you great story, characters, experience, perspective and fill you with emotions. I dont normally write much about stuff but this time I had to just to shake it off my mind a bit. It sticks so very much.
  55. Jun 26, 2013
    An absolutely marvelous game its a must but for every ps3 owner the story line cannot compare to any game you have ever played before. You are hooked on the game from the second you pick it up
  56. Jun 25, 2013
    The game is simply amazing. The gameplay is varied, deep and intense. The plot and characters are hearty and emotionally provoking. The environments are immersive and well-crafted. Technically it's nearly flawless and while having several obvious flaws and faults, it's a masterpiece in execution and a powerful piece of interactive entertainment. It's fun, it's smart, it's emotional, it's polished, it's rewarding but above all it's (as the title suggests) one the last of the truly great games of this generation. Expand
  57. Jul 20, 2013
    You know how good everyone says it is? It's even better than that. This game is groundbreaking and just perfect in both concept and execution on nearly every level. The story is so cleverly written and deals with many mature themes, and I don't think there's any game that has had be so emotionally hooked and shocked me so much with the choices the characters have to make. I'd go into more detail, but I wouldn't dare ruin this game for anyone. In fact, if you don't have a PS3, buy one just to experience this game. And on top of that the gameplay is amazing. I heard in an interview the game was influenced by No Country For Old Men and I get that now it's not in the story but in the incredibly tense stealth/survival gameplay. I'm not joking, this is one of the best games I've played in my whole life, and I'd say the only PS3 game that it doesn't top is Metal Gear Solid 4 but that's just my opinion anyway. Get this game play it before someone spoils it because it's one of the most incredible experiences I've had with a game EVER. There are a few annoying things barely worth mentioning though it's really awkward in the sections where you have to move things and the water sections are pretty annoying, and there are some bugs and glitches that still need patching out but these are barely worth mentioning. Do not hesitate to pick up this game.

Final score: 10.0 out of 10
  58. Jul 4, 2013
    Can i give it 10 twice? I wish i could, because that's what this Masterpiece deserves! Few times in my life i was so engaged in a story, this script tops enven Walking Dead from telltale, it's awesome, the gameplay is so well polished, this for sure is the Game of Generation!
  59. Sep 12, 2013
    Right after finishing the game, I started questioning myself: If this that I've played is called "Game", Then what the hell I've been playing for the last 10 years????
  60. Dec 17, 2013
    When I wrote this review, 299 people gave a negative user score. I'm not sure if they played the same game that I did. From my countless hours spent on this games single player (I've hardly even touched the multiplayer), I can tell you that this game is among the best I've ever played, and anyone's likely to ever play. It's simply a masterpiece.
  61. Mar 15, 2014
    Wow, just wow. This game is not just one of the best games ever made, but it's also one of the best experiences I've ever had. The story is deep and extremely emotional, it hits you right from the beginning. All of the characters introduced in the game have immeasurable depth. The graphics are good for a Ps3 game, but the art direction is absolutely fantastic, they've made sure to add every little detail you can think of (vines growing on walls, buildings corroding, etc). You can tell they loved making this game. The sound in the game is fantastic as well, especially the voice acting from Troy Baker (Joel) & Ashley Johnson (Ellie). They had great chemistry with one another. Also, the gameplay is top-notch .The hand to hand combat was crafted, the way you sneak around, and the gun-play, was all given the same attention to detail as everything else, all were excellent. This is one of the best games of all-time. Expand
  62. Aug 5, 2013
    The Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, painting I've seen, Movie I've watched and so forth. The strange thing about the game is that the experience isn't your experience; It's Joel and Ellie's. Even though this is true, you create a massive emotional investment in the characters and everything they're going through. The story is told so flawlessly. It takes special pieces of their journey together and tells these bits at the perfect pace. The world Naughty Dog created is beautiful, yet depressing. The struggles and emotional hits the characters take in this dog-eat-dog world are hidden under the the green, bright, beautiful streets and woods. The Last of Us only has 2 issues; One being that the gameplay becomes bland at points. So much that you might be relieved when it's time for a cutscene. The other is very average AI. The Last of Us, for me, not only defined this generation of video games, but is the culmination of everything video games have been building towards for the past 40+ years. All of that said, the fact that the gameplay got bland in a video GAME stops it from being a 10 for me. Expand
  63. Jun 29, 2013
    There are lots of games that features zombies/infected or post apocalyptic enviroments, yet Naughty Dog has managed to push what is possible with the theme to show that an excellent story and fantastic cast of characters is just as important as gameplay and graphics. With The Last of Us, Naughty Dog has managed to combine all the important aspect that makes a game great to become a masterpiece that not only is one of the best games of this year, it may be the best game from this generation, even surpassing Naughty Dog's own Uncharted 2. You play as Joel, a survivor of a fungus pandemic. One of the best parts of the game is the interaction between Joel and Ellie as they travel across the post apocalyptic US. Joel is a harden survivor, who have already been through both before and after the pandemic, while Ellie was born into this harsh enviroment. This creates some great interactions between the character and Ellie, pushing the story forward. In this brutal enviroment, there is no right or wrong. Everything the survivors do are just trying to survive. The graphics in the game are amazing, with enviroments filled with details everywhere. Its amazing how Naughty Dog is able to improve the graphics from the Uncharted series and push it even further, squeezing every drop of power available from the PS3, making it one of the best looking game in this console generation. From the brutal winter to the overgrown buildings, the attention to detail really makes you feel immersed into the world of the game. The gameplay is also great, making you feel as if you are really fighting for survival. Ammo isnt found very often, making you feel that every shots is important. Melee is almost the same as the Uncharted series, only harder. Enemies do fight back when you engage in melee combat with them, unlike Uncharted 3 where the enemies only sometimes do a reversal and all you have to do is press another button. The sound is also excellent, with Gustavo Santaolalla's amazing soundtrack really puts you into the mood of the game. Still, Naughty Dog knows when to let nature take over the music, creating a perfect mix of musics and sound. Gunshots are loud and powerful, making even a simple pistol round feels powerful. Punches make you feel as if you are really punching and using melee weapons make the hits feel even more powerful and devastating.

If you are still thinking about buying this game, just buy it and enjoy this masterpiece.
  64. Jun 23, 2013
    Uncharted meets The Walking Dead meets The Road. The Last of Us is a good game, but it is one undeserving of the 10/10 scores it's been getting. I read it being described as "The Citizen Kane of videogames"; if this is the best we can expect, the future does indeed look mediocre. Nothing revolutionary here. Writing is really good, the story is not original but it's very well delivered, it makes you feel a strong connection to the main characters, voice acting is stunning and I've fallen in love with the amazing soundtrack. If it were a film, I'd have liked it more, but it's supposed to be a game, and that's where problems begin: repetitive, very repetitive, very very repetitive Uncharted-style gameplay (shoot, explore, shoot some more... whenever you see cover, you know what's about to come; once you're done with the enemies in the area, you know nobody will show up for a while and then it's the time to check every corner for a million pointless collectibles or to complete once again one of the three available puzzles without being disturbed), glitches and bugs that break the immersion in the most painful ways, stupid IA and linear progression. It's not a bad game, but it's far from the masterpiece hype has made us believe it to be Expand
  65. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is incredible. Best game of this generation in my opinion. The story and character development are unparalleled. There is not a single negative thing I can say about this game.
  66. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us review:

Story: 10/10 A great story indeed, keep me hooked till the end, the characters are deep and the more they develop in the story you will find yourself really caring for their fate. A truly masterpiece of Survival Horror/Post Apocaliptic World.

Visual: 10/10 I have never seen a game in ps3 (or any console) that looked better that this one, the light effects, the
    detail in character modeling and the beautiful surrounding's Cities reclaimed by nature feels so alive) I just give this game MY 10+1 in this department.

Gameplay: 7/10 Here is where am going to punish The Last of Us. The gameplay in fact is a good one, you will find so much to do in The Last of Us (crafting weapons, getting upgrades) the fight's whit button smash/panic scene's feel's great and the combat systems is what you can spect meele weapons are easy to use but firearms will requiere more practice and that is good, because in RL shooting a gun/rifle is not as easy as most shooters/fps want to make us belive) Walking/running/climbing/swimming fells so natural and so real BUT there are some BIG issues whit the game mechanics. The most shocking/disappointing one is the cover/stealth system. I find myself many times not being discovered by enemy's even when my dumb AI partner walked in front of the enemy. My AI parner talking to me/other guy in a zone where there are sound sensitive enemies lurking around and amazingly they dont discover us if your character makes noise/walk in front of an enemy that is a different story). So this is a big big... no no no HUGE problem in the stealth game mechanics/partner AI system that must be solved right away by Naugty Dog.

Replay: 8/10 It's almost imposible to max upgrade your weapons/abilities in one gameplay, so this add replayability to The Last of Us, also the beautiful enviroments of the game/amazing story really invite us to take our controller and play again this title in the New Game+ mode.

Music/Voice Acting: 10/10 The voice acting in The Last of Us is simply amazing!!! You can really sense the mood/fellings of the characters and the agony/joy/sadness/etc they go through.

Overall: 9/10 A must have if u love deep story/rich characters/survival horror/uncharted games. A true contestant to Game of The Year 2013 that only need to tune up some game mechanics to be THE GAME.
  67. Jun 18, 2013
    This is seriously the best game I have ever played. I have never wanted to play a single player story like I did with this game, on top of that the in depth upgrading system was amazing. What also amazed me was that this game had the best graphics I have ever seen in a game and this is on the PS3 and we have the PS4 coming in the fall!
  68. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm probably not that far into the game. I'm only in Lincoln High School trying to fight the first big boss. I can tell this game is going to be one I'll probably finish but already I know it's not the TEN everyone keeps raving about. OK, I'm into the main two characters, I feel the emotional bond growing, that's cool. But the zombie fighting is just frustrating and unrewarding. I finally have a shotgun and thank goodness because the pistols barely even stun anything and your lead pipes break after about eight hits. OK, since when does a lead pipe break precisely after eight hits? It's a lead pipe for crying out loud. You can slam it against concrete a million times and it wouldn't break. And you can't aim your weapons worth crap. This guy, for twenty years, has been surviving the zombie apocalypse and he still can't aim a stupid rifle, waving it all over the place as crazed zombies straight out of 28 Days Later come rushing at him? Really? And even with the shotgun, which you don't need to aim precisely, what does that help when five of them are rushing at you from all angles? So you fight, you die, you start over, you die, you start over, you die, and so forth until you are finally lucky enough to pick them all off not by any real strategy mind you, just because you got a little lucky. The scavenging is pretty boring. The workbenches are so far and few in-between it's pathetic. The crawling through hallways, climbing up ladders, running across planks gets old pretty quickly. And everything is so dark. You have to use your flashlight at least half the time and that actually gets a bit nauseating as if your swirling around on a carnival ride. So, although the graphics are way cool, and the characters are likeable, and the plot is engaging even if it's derivative, there's just too much senseless wandering around, searching for the limited scavenger items available, and extremely frustrating battles with things that will tear your neck out while you're trying to reload your stupid gun or switch guns which takes like ten seconds or heal which takes several seconds and the controls are so complicated it's extremely difficult to remember what buttons you are suppose to be pressing while a swarm of crazed zombies are rushing at you from all sides. This game is good but it does have a lot of flaws. Expand
  69. Jul 20, 2013
    Astonishing. Masterpiece. Those are few of the many words that can be used to describe this amazing work of art that this game really is. It takes you to a story that is extremely immersive, deeply emotional, and professionally written, describing the path that Joel and Ellie go throughout the entire game.

That all isn't enough to cover how amazing the story is, going hand to hand with
    the beautiful scenarios, stunning engine and great AI, both for Ellie and for the enemies. Also keeping in mind that the multiplayer is at some points wonderfully unique and even addictive, it's the story that shines the most, and makes this game a perfect 10, and a must buy for all Playstation fans. Expand
  70. Feb 10, 2014
    Еще с того самого E3 12 я ждал эту игру, даже она стала поводом купить PS3. В целом, геймплей и атмосфера хороши, сюжетная завязка тоже затягивает, такие игры могут тягаться с произведениями литературы. Но концовка не понравилась, нет, она конечно добротная, но прямо говорит что ждите продолжения (вероятно на PS4), которую я брать не буду.
  71. Jun 24, 2013
    I have finished the game earlier this week, since then I had some time to reflect about it.

After getting over my „fanboism“, cause I have been awaiting this game for quite a while, to look at it from a more neutral perspective, I must say that “The Last Of Us” is OVERRATED!

Now bear with me, Im not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very
    beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where im coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. It just seems overall like it was designed for the casual gamer, so parents and infants could easily beat it. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of glichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have ever witnessed in a videogame, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Videogames where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of videogames is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes videogames, or art in general, I didn't mean to sound too negative about it I just wanted to express why I think gamesites giving it 10 out of 10s is complete
  72. Jul 18, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoying this game.

The multiplayer uses single player mechanics very well and being more of a multiplayer fan i enjoyed this style of multiplayer mechanics than other know style multiplayer games.
  73. Jul 13, 2013
    The Last of Us is honestly (with the Walking Dead game) the best game i have ever played. Every single thing about this game is perfect.The gameplay, the emotional story, the incredible voice and physical acting, the music, it never gets boring, and its compelling, exciting, emotional, sad, fun and a masterpiece of gaming. Please, for the love of game lovers, play this game. if Metacritic would let me, i would give this game an 11! Expand
  74. Jun 22, 2013
    As of this moment this is my game of the generation, The Last of Us has a fantastic story and fantastic gameplay, cinematics, voice acting, music, and graphics to back it up. The story is made much better because of the way that the game presents it, the voice acting is perfect and the cinematics make it feel like you're watching a movie. I won't go into detail of the story at all because it's better to find out yourself. All I'll say is that it's the most realistic portrayal of the struggles and horror of a post apocalyptic world that I've ever seen. The gameplay is also really great, it's mostly a stealth game when it comes to gameplay, but you can approach a situation in any way you like. You can try to stay undetected or you can run around and just shoot everybody. It's a lot easier and much more satisfactory and rewarding to play it with stealth though. You can get many different guns and types of equipment to help you through the game, like molotovs and bombs that explode when an enemy gets near it. Equipment like that really allows you to play the way that you want to and it creates a lot of variation in the gameplay. You can craft equipment with supplies that you pick up throughout the game, and it's a really useful feature. Throughout the game you will also find supplements that Joel, the main playable character, can use to upgrade himself with things like more health and crafting speed. There's a similar thing that you can do to weapons, but you have to be at a crafting table to upgrade weapons, you can upgrade Joel anywhere in the game. I'll say that The Last of Us has the best graphics on any current generation console, the textures, the lighting effects, the water effects, the landscapes, and the environments all look perfect. Some of the landscapes are even some of the most beautiful landscapes that I've ever seen in a video game. Each environment creates just the right atmosphere for what's happening, there's never one that doesn't belong. The Last of Us also has multiplayer, and it's a surprisingly fun multiplayer experience. It has a very interesting concept in which you join one of two factions from the single player mode and you "collect supplies" from the enemies that you kill and your faction will gain more followers. If you fail to collect enough supplies, your faction members will become hungry, sick, and may die. The whole faction system gives the multiplayer a lot more replayability. Overall, The Last of Us is undoubtedly one of the best games of the generation and one of the best of all time, there's not a single moment in the game that's forgettable. The Last of Us delivers one of the most beautifully presented stories in a video game and has fantastic gameplay, every person who likes video games should play it. Expand
  75. Jun 24, 2013
    The Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. Graphically this game looks fantastic, it's probably the best looking game on the PS3 to date. Despite some minor bugs and glitches, that doesn't even ruin the experience. This single-player story of this game would make you want to replay it more than once. But the The Last of Us has more to offer and that is multiplayer. Honestly, the game would still be perfect without multiplayer, but that's not the case here. This multiplayer is unique and requires you to have a different approach on winning. It is very tactical, very fun with friends and unique. The only 2 problems i have with multiplayer is that it lacks map content and game modes. It has a fine number of maps (7) and only 2 game modes. But it has already been confirmed that there will be more multiplayer and single-player content on the way. This game is the best game i ever played in my entire life, i would recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  76. Jul 8, 2013
    Quarter to Three gave it 60 points out of 100, what is more than ridiculous. A great game like The Last of Us degraded with this one review. You might think it was just a mistake from them, but no. Also really good games like Far Cry 3 or Bioshock Infinite got rated really bad. But of course games like Zen Pinball 3D deserves 100 out of 100 and not Far Cry, Bioshock or The Last of Us. Unbelievable. Why people who obviously have no idea what games are about have a game review web site and not the 2000 person who know what games are about.

Now the actual review.
    Graphics(10/10): TLOU comes up with the probably best graphics ever. These little detail failures are usual nothing bad. Especially the water and the light are almost divine.
    Sound (10/10): The Sound in TLOU can't be beat by another game except Heavy Rain. The infected sound as realistic as it's possible and the usual surrounding is stunning. The light accents with orchestra music are incredible.
    Story (09/10): Without the attempt to spoiler about it, i just can describe it with one word unbelievably.
    Gameplay (10/10): The gameplay from TLOU seems to be like a next-gen Uncharted. Even the currently generation (specially Uncharted 2 & 3) is great.

A clear candidate for the Game of the Year Award !
    The Last of Us is the final evidence that also video games can be art.
  77. Jun 27, 2013
    This is the best game of the year so far and one of the only game I would give a perfect score it's gameplay kept me on edge. I was so into this game and it's zombie story was pretty original. So to all you haters out their saying this game is bad you need to shut up because this is a great game.Anybody with a ps3 needs to buy this game.
  78. Jun 18, 2013
    It only takes about 5 minutes into the game for you to be completely sucked into Naughty Dog's brilliant yet horrifying world. The game invites players to journey across a destroyed America as Joel and Ellie, two lost survivors brought together by chance. After about 17 hours of the single player campaign, you will never want to let them go. This game is a testament to the power of hope, love, and desperation. Another stunning performance by team Naughty Dog. 10 out of 10. Expand
  79. Jun 30, 2013
    The story and character development in this game is truly amazing. I felt connected to the characters and immersed in the story and gameplay. The AI could use some improvement, but the game is very fun to play, albeit a little easy. You'll love Joel and Ellie so much as you progress through the game. This game is a must-buy for any PS3 player. I bought a PS3 just to play this game and it didn't let me down one bit! Expand
  80. Aug 16, 2013
    Naughty dog has done it again.A great game to play after a long time,easy controls,best graphics,great action/adventure and horror mixture,smooth gameplay.This is a must play game.
  81. Aug 12, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is far above and beyond any video game you'll ever play concerning characters and story. This is without a doubt the best character-driven video game I've ever played and has such a fantastic story. Some people might not like the ending, as the choice Joel makes might go against players wishes, but in terms of a story that takes a turn we wouldn't expect, this is an instant classic in any game, or movie, for that matter. I truly developed an emotional bond for Joel and Ellie as this game progressed, the gameplay is spot on in terms of making me nervous about a future encounter with enemies, forcing me to prepare ahead rather than charge in guns blazing. In areas that are heavily infected with the zombie type enemies in the game, there's nothing more exhilarating than sneaking by an entire group of them and getting away with it for fear of not having enough ammo to take them on. This game will grip you from start to finish and arguably has the best story any video game has ever had.

It's online multiplayer mode shouldn't be taken for granted either, as it is a warm departure from the typical shooter game being played online nowadays. It forces you to plan accordingly, craft items, and sneak your way through the maps as stealth is your best friend online.

This game will instantly go down as a PS3 classic and perhaps even a classic in all of videogame history as well.
  82. Jul 6, 2013
    Naughty Dog does it again, amazing graphics, amazing game-play, amazing story, i have been playing the game for hours especially the multiplayer its something new and different really loved it, one word for it amazing
  83. Jun 22, 2013
    ok lets get something straight that most gamers don't get. yes this game is WAY overhyped. This was one reason why i was reluctant to play it. the shooting is wonky, ai ranges from stupid to smart, some enemies seem unfair( those stupid bloaters), but this game is still a great game and is one of my favorites. the story is well told and emotional all the way through, the characters are expertly voiced and likeable. Ellie is really the star of this game. she is a great, smart character and also a total badass who isnt afraid to do what it takes to survive. her protector joel who is the main player character, is a rugged badass who is tasked with escorting ellie to the fireflies. the journey is worth experiencing so many twist and turns occur which help develop joel and ellie as characters. they joke, talk, and protect each other all the way through and as joel and ellie get to know one another their relationship changes from total strangers to a father daughter relationship. kudos to naughtydog for crafting such a wonderful experience. it sure is overhyped and i dont think it should get goty (watchdogs or gta v FTW!) but it needs to be experienced by anyone who has a ps3 and likes to experience a well told story with likeable characters. joel and ellie's apocalyptic survivor story is worth the price of admission. Expand
  84. Jun 22, 2013
    I can understand why some people consider this game over hyped. If you approach the game as a stealth/shooter only, you will be disappointed. Not because it's bad, it's not, but because this game is about more than what you control.

This game is about characters, about traveling through a world that wants to you dead, and surviving at all costs. If you're anything like me this game
    will touch you emotionally, you will empathise with their struggle, and be disturbed at how cruel the world has become, and how real it all could be. This may be lost on those that are too young, or incapable of letting themselves become immersed in the story. If you aren't however, this is not a game you will soon forget. Expand
  85. Jun 24, 2013
    This game is pure gold. Good job Naughty dog, because you have created a game that was so emotional and so intense that I just could not stop playing it, the game was just beautiful, and was probably one of the best, if not the best looking game on PS3. I congratulate you guys and wish you all the best in making more of such beautiful games, I also hope there will be a sequel.
  86. Jun 24, 2013
    This is not a game, this is an art. The storyline is amazing. Action is intense, there are a lot of puzzles too, which make a game more interesting. Characters are alive. It is wonderful and far more better than resident evil. I bought the game and read reviews but did not expect such a wonderful and powerful experience! well done!!!
  87. Jul 14, 2013
    That's just finished yesterday, well, I can say it is something! The game masterpiece in all aspects. In terms of drama, I have not played stronger in the movie can not even remember that so touched me. Much, much, do not pass either.The level of detail and attention to detail makes every event and experience the discovery to complete, in some places, just as much as a tear pierced or getting terribly from what he saw. Music at the height of the atmosphere just without words.Yes, there are downsides, but against all of you just do not notice, and you go and you go forward.For the sake of one such game you need to buy a PS3. Personally, I have both xbox 360 too, but I'll tell you a box in terms of games, oh, how far. None can compare with exclusive Heavy Rain and The Last Of Us. Yes, Alan Wake good, but it is two times worse than the last two. About Gears Of War silent, especially the latter.In general, ND company that is doing the right games. Oscar definitely!P.S.Yes, I want to say that this game is 21 or even 25-30, to keep in mind for understanding, and experience, of what is happening on the screen. People who do not have At least 21 years of age or older and you do not understand half of what is happening on the screen, and emotional drama. Especially if you have kids, you just do tear the tower. Pupils game may seem can be boring, monotonous can. Definitely not for children and adolescents. Expand
  88. Jul 2, 2013
    OK... This ga... Oh god. I'm so overwhelmed right now with this game right now. This game is like a delicious meal. When it ends you want so bad to have more of it but in some other way you are the most satisfied human being in the planet. The graphics are so amazing I can't even digest it. The story is so well done that I was left teary. And thinking about the ending is surprisingly just as deep as analyzing a good movie. I'm gonna talk about the ending later so keep on with me (haha). Where to start... OK. This game tells the story of a man with a mission. He has to go across a post-apocalyptic America to deliver a little girl to a rebel group of survivors. As I came aware that it was involving a rebel group holding against the government I was worried. I said to myself "Oh, this is so cliché!". But I was wrong. And I have to mention this was just a meaningless worry still having in my mind the amazing prologue that I just witnessed. The setting the gameplay and the execution of what envelopes is superb in the prologue and in the whole game in general. The game is divided by seasons (I know, it's weird but awesome). and every season ends with something big. My favorite I think might be winter but it's hard to pick one because they all are amazing! But I'm just gonna go with winter now. The pacing and the way they are told and experienced are awesome. Now... the most gamers were worried about...! The gameplay. Let me say this. This game... has the most fluid and satisfying gameplay that I have ever experienced. I was going to add intense up there but some things (Resident Evil) can't be topped. The way the gameplay combines with the atmosphere and story is done masterfully. You have to carefully walk through dark hallways and smartly plan what to waste and what to spare. The brutality of the combat also makes it engaging and sometimes disturbing. There was good variety in the enemies and very few and minimal glitches that I encountered. OK, now let's get into the graphics. These are easily the best graphics that I have seen on a console. They are smooth, detailed and very beautiful. There were a few scenes with animals in them and they are jaw dropping. (Yes, even the rabbit.)Oh and the lighting. Haha man the lighting. The shadows the reflections and the beautifully animated dynamic lighting make this game shine. (No pun intended) The cherry on top of all of this must be the ending. I understand that some didn't like it because of it's abruptness but for me it was deep, dark and let's say, real! I spent easily a day thinking and analyzing these characters (specially Joel at the end) to really understand this character complex ending! I mean, what game does this! (except for Bioshock Infinite). This game is a masterpiece of our time. Everyone must experience it and it should be taken from now on as a reference to what the gaming industry is capable of and how it has already reached the heights of film depth and quality. Thanks for reading! Have a good day! Expand
  89. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is just one-of-the-kind, experience you will face here is not in any game or on any console or PC so far. Simply this is one of the best game ever made. And yes its GAME so there is not half an hour cutscene and ten minutes of gameplay but its more like interactive movie. Interesting is how conversations are made in-game and there are not cutscenes for each talk. Gamelpay is unbelievable fun, you can craft a lot stuff for surviving, upgrade your weaponry and explore this incredible world of the last of us. Simply strong perfect characters, emotional solid story, enormous gameplay, beautiful apocalyptic world... Expand
  90. Jul 28, 2013
    The Last of Us for PlayStation 3 is one of the defining video games of this generation, Naughty Dog once again shows that they are not only one of the best developers in the industry, but they also show with The Last of Us that they are some of the best storytellers period.

The story is a dark, gritty and brutal journey of survival with the main characters Joel and Ellie, I'm not going
    to spoil anything about the game but rest assured this is a great story with some fantastic characters.

The gameplay is a stealth/action survival game with horror elements, with both infected and human enemies that have very smart A.I. and are a challenge to fight, especially on higher difficulties. I think the "Clicker" Infected enemy is one of the best enemies in a video game, The sound they make can create a very tense atmosphere in the gameplay, the human enemies are just as fun to fight as they are very intelligent in how they try to take you out and how they try to find you when you are hidden.

Just keep in mind that the game is very dark, very brutal and violent, If you do not like these type of things then you may want to consider whether the game will be your kind of experience.

Overall The Last of Us is a fantastic experience that should not be missed, If you have a PS3 then you should most definitely pick this game up immediately, If you don't have a PS3 then this game is the definition of a system seller.
  91. Jul 7, 2013
    I love when one of 5% of people who didn't like this game say "look im going to write an honest review this game is so overrated" I know it's your opinion but don't act like it's a fact that this game is overrated just because you didn't appreciate it you're in a very very small group. Personally I couldn't give this game less than a 10 because I took it for what it was, an experience more than a game and what an experience it was. I was attached to the characters and the story and by the time I was halfway through adored the complex relationship between Joel and Ellie. I have never played a game like this and the level of brilliance (in my opinion) that it achieved rivals the first time I played Bioshock or the first time I saw Blade Runner the final cut. Anyway this is just my opinion but if I didn't try to persuade at least one person to buy this game I would be doing them and Naughty Dog a disservice. Naughty Dog does it like few other companies and this is another one for the ages. Expand
  92. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us has officially de-throned Red Dead Redemption as the best game that i have ever played! This is an absolutely amazing experience that needs to be had by everyone! It has an rich and engaging setting that is just begging to be explored, the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game that really brings the world and the characters to life, and a deep and heartfelt story of hope and survival against all odds. Lastly, to top it all off The Last of Us has some of the most unique and fun multiplayer I have ever played! Its refreshing to see a game that decides to step out and try something new instead of just be another Call of Duty clone! Now the only complaints i do have about this game are a few audio bugs and that the characters can occasionally glitch out when the combats gets really frantic... However, those are completely minor complaints to what is otherwise an absolutely fantastic and jaw dropping experience!! Expand
  93. Jun 30, 2013
    Quite simply the greatest game iv ever played, i own both a 360 and a ps3. From graphics to story to characters to game play it's all spot on. If you don't yet own this game then do yourself a favour and buy it.
    Naughty dog are truly an incredible games developer and i look forward to see what they bring next.
  94. Jul 13, 2013
    I am older (28), and don't have time for non-awesome games, let alone redundant games. I also hate console games because of their graphics. This game has beautiful, PC worthy graphics, best voice acting I've heard in a game, and a deep combat system. This is the finale of PS3, and its best game. Don't miss this one.
  95. Jun 23, 2013
    Don't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the story in this game does could have easily been done in a movie. As for the gameplay, while it was satifisying to kill enemies, it got really repetitive after awhile. Overall, The Last of Us was decent, but I would like to play the version they showed at E3 2012, which looks much better. Expand
  96. Nov 24, 2013
    10 out of 10 in the fact that this is the best Action game I have ever played. If it was the best game I have played over the last 30 years or so playing games then I would put it in my Top 10 experiences no problem. Top 5 would be pushing it though tbh as once it is finished then that is that but what a story to play though. Video games story telling and acting has gone up a notch with this release even after Bioshock Infinite. Superb. Expand
  97. Jul 16, 2013
    I was really excited about this game after seeing near universal acclaim. After beating it, the zombie scenes are absolutely terrifying and they combat pretty cool. My complaints on this game are that it's just a linear path where you feel obligated to search every crevice of towns once you get into them. There is some intrigue by doing this but why can't I pick up new guns from enemies? I did find the long rifle once but including mechanics like War Z would make the game even more fun. Perhaps I had high expectations on this game but when compared to Far Cry 3, this game isn't nearly as fun or dynamic. Expand
  98. Feb 17, 2014
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + It has one of the best stories ever told in videogame history, using not only cutscenes to tell the story, but gameplay as well, with in-game main and side conversations that truly make this game outstand. Incredible character development, with every single character adding something to the story. The best looking game of the generation with
    unbelievable lighting, colour palette and textures. Strong gameplay with a great and simple crafting system. Top notch audio design. Incredible music by Gustavo Santaolalla which developers used in the most appropriate moment, throughout the whole game. The multiplayer not only fits perfectly with the tone of the singleplayer experience, but also it is a hell of a fun to play and the only way you'll get higher levels will be by your skill in the game, and not the equipment you carry. Framerate rarely drops. I only experienced 3 or 4 technical glitches/bugs during my 3+ playthroughs. Though many complain, not letting the enemy AI find or notice Ellie is the best decission in terms of gameplay, though it can be a little game breaker. Ally AI is helpful, unlike most games.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    - Enemy AI can be either too dumb or way to intelligent. Trophy list makes you replay the game at the very least 3 times if you want to get the platinum.
    Final thoughts and score:
    The Last of Us is the highest user rated game of the generation, and not for nothing. It achieves one of the best linear experiences with a really deep, touching and emotionall story that will stick within your mind weeks after beating it.
    Average Score: 10/10
  99. Jun 18, 2013
    That's not a game. This is a movie make in video game. Naughty Dog used the full capacity of PS3 with graphics and details in scenario. Make the characters with one personality involved the players. i love this game and big competitor for GOTY.
  100. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is simply flawless! I have never played a game with such focus and fear and i love that!! I was actually disappointed when i finished the game because i wanted to play so much more of it. It has all these elements combined and they work amazingly together. It has an awesome story and the acting was really good. A very good human survival game. Walking through a dark creepy room with no ammo? Baby im home. Expand
  101. Jun 23, 2013
    Wow! Where do I start, this film is fantastic for gameplay, story, graphics and characters. But there a few things to be aware of: 1. This game is best played on hard mode (to maximise survival horror aspect) 2. Tun OFF the hearing feature that lets you "see" through walls (as above) 3. There are a couple of glitch type bugs but no gamebreakers Apart from that, this game is as good as it gets, as intense and scary as Dead Space (in parts), the combat and stealth are slick and well-ballanced, and the environments are drop dead gorgeous.

You owe it to yourself to play this game.

Enjoy!

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]