• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 25, 2013
    Truly wonderful game, i am a big gamer and have played games from Halo to Heavy Rain and Borderlands to Call of Duty and this is the first game in probably 4 years to truly surprise me. One for its shear beauty and two for its brilliant story and to top that off it play so very nicely. It draws you into the survivor role so well, helped by having no HUD and creating while the games still live to create true urgency. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a deep engrossing game. Credit to Naughty Dog for creating a new IP after such a great job on Uncharted Expand
  2. Jun 17, 2013
    Much like God of War 2 for the PS2, The Last of Us is the 'Swan Song' of the PS3. Given none of the game has been revealed, The Last of Us will evoke in most a sense of curiosity, fear, and despair, and this is a good thing. This is an experience like no other, one of which most gamers should experience.
  3. Jul 23, 2013
    The Last Of Us is the most brilliant, perfect, exiting, intensive video game experience of this generation.

Joel and Ellie give us in my opinion, the best Survivor game ever.
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    Just writing to say that I don't understand why Metacritic insists on including reviews from Quarter to Three. There's different opinions... and then there's issuing a low score just to garner page views. Tom Chick definitely falls into the latter.
  5. Jul 8, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best game I've played so far this Year and it the best survival/horror game I've ever played. And I'm not a survival/horror fan, at all.The Last of Us is The Red Dead Redemption of 2013. I haven't seen a movie this year that was as well acted or emotionally gripping as The Last of Us not to mention the outstanding action sequences and genuinely "scary" moments. What a great game to end the PS3 era with. Masterpiece! and a strong counter point to those who don't consider games to be a relevant art form. Expand
  6. Jun 17, 2013
    There isn't much to say about The Last of Us besides the fact that it's a thrill ride that can keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end; the premise itself could be said to be a cliched had it not brought an extreme amount of emotion to me throughout the bonding moments between the protagonists; Joel and Ellie. Along with the happiness that could be offered with their conversations tears can also be provoked from the games opening that may possibly be the saddest opening to any story that I have ever seen; this being said about the games beginning the tension and suspense that is felt from the games final moments are also the strong point for The Last of Us while being just as emotional as it's opening moments if not even more. Enough about the games emotional points the key point of the gameplay is to forge to survive and craft your weapons to your best advantage; Naughty Dog succeeds on a larger level than I could have ever though possible after playing through scavenging for tools and scraps to craft several items that are required to complete your journey west, such as shivs, first-aid kits, and even molotov Along with the great crafting system something that constantly plagues games in our modern market is the poor artificial intelligence, but with The Last of Us this will only be a problem for someone who gets upset from being outmaneuvered by a computer controlled bot as this game proves to have AI that works together to find a tactical advantage over the player. In my closing remarks I have to say that The Last of Us is a MUST PLAY game that constantly had me saying out loud "I can't believe this was created by Naughty Dog" due to it's dark tone and unforgiving characters. Stop reading now and buy it full price. Expand
  7. Jul 5, 2013
    Naughty Dog, Inc. through The Last of Us created a world where every punch hurts like hell, every bullet counts and most amazingly, every moment is a blessing because unlike most games, it shows the joys of being alive and how easily one can lose it in a bat of an eye.

The development of the bond between the two main characters Joel and Ellie was realistic that by the end of the game
    I knew them more than I know my own goddamn family. This is survival genre at it's finest, decisions are as grey as it can be and most of the time you aren't left with much of a choice leading you to flip a coin. It's a harsh, brutal outlook of the world where the only thing that makes you keep going is the simple fact that you aren't alone in this.

The story is not about reaching the final objective, but the journey through which how two strangers with two very different backgrounds move away from constantly looking for the other to backstab to slowly build a father-daughter relationship. In the end, players will ask what is the difference between the right thing to do and something which 'feels right'.

Beautiful game, great visuals, fantastic characters and a fantastically realized harsh but authentic world makes the Last of Us not only the best game I've ever played, but also I never invested so much emotions in any form of entertainment media. It is a masterpiece.

8. Jun 17, 2013
    I suspect the main thing dividing the reviews in this, in so far as they are divided, is age. This is not a violent teen power fantasy, it is a game where the brutality and soul-leeching consequences of violence are put on display, at least more than most games in this genre, and without being at all preachy. The developers concentrate on conveying a feeling of tense desperation, and succeed far more often then they fail, at least in my case.The crunch on ammunition forces you to scrabble around the world looking for things to improvise as weapons, not for the sake of completionism, but out of need.

It is possible it should have even catered less to the adrenaline crowd the haters are right in one thing. Overall the gameplay is fairly down the main existing lines, with some solid level and environment designs, and decent set-pieces.

But if you can get caught up in it, like most of the people reviewing here, the experience is pretty amazing.
  9. Jul 2, 2013
    The saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to be the game that defines the PS3. It's extraordinary!! Any PS3 owner who doesn't own this doesn't deserve to have the console. It's a masterpiece from start to finish. The game follows the journey of Joel and Ellie, who travel across a post-apocalyptic America in 2033 following the outbreak of a mutant cordyceps as they seek The Fireflies, a resistance group who believe Ellie has the cure to save the world. The story is captivating and an emotional tour-de-force throughout. Never has a game touched me so much as this. Its full of emotional highs and lows where every decision has a consequence as you battle zombie-like infected mutants, bandits and cannibals as you battle across a savaged USA. The setting is actually stunning. The post-apocalyptic America is mesmerising and so authentic. Naughty Dog really have raised the bar once again. The scenery is beautiful. And graphically, this is as good as it gets. It's frightening to think what Naughty Dog will have instore with next gen. The gameplay is near flawless. Much like Uncharted but more free flowing. The environments really play a vital part and the stealth aspect was a splendid inclusion. It really makes you as the gamer in charge of the method you wish to complete the game because enemies react differently depending on your approach. Your also able to craft weapons during the game which again is genius! The story is where The Last of Us is truly exceptional. It's such a rewarding and exhilarating experience. Right from the tragic beginning to the contentious ending. It's an unforgettable game The journey and the experience alone are awesome. You feel part of Joel and Ellie's story. And there relationship is at the heart of the story. It blossoms beautifully throughout. In conclusion this could well be the ultimate game available. In terms of an all round package, it's unmissable. It showcases exactly what the PS3 does best. And at it's very best. The Last of Us is not only n imperative purchase for any PS3 owner but the must have game of the year! Expand
  10. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to say more of the same. The Last of Us is not only this best, the most important game of THIS generation. It is, probably, one of the best, most important gaming experiences ever conceived. I don't know where to start, honestly. So I will use this review just to say one thing: if you care about games, if you play them, if games are something you take seriously, I BEG you don't miss this one out. I don't need to talk about graphics, text, voice acting, gameplay etc etc. The videos and reviews are all praising all those things. What I will say is that never before had I such a deep, emotional, haunting experience. It got me thrilled, excited, sad, juggling laughter and tears in equal portions. This is more than a game. It's the perfect film, the perfect book, the perfect song. And, call me crazy, a beautiful memory as well. I will never forget this game. Expand
  11. Jul 8, 2013
    This is honestly the greatest game I have ever played sure there are a few 'slight' glitches and moments you're reminded that it is 'just a game', but the fact that your brain needs to be reminded of this just goes to show how enthralling it really is. I don't think I've ever been more emotionally invested in a story than I was in this game, even on a second playthrough when I knew what was coming, it still got me right in the feels.

As far as gameplay goes don't expect call of duty. This is predominantly a stealth game, and this is where it shines approaching each situation cautiously and planning your every move with the limited supplies you have is the way the game was meant to be played, and when you know you only have 3 bullets and 5 enemies to take out, things can get really tense as a slight slip up will leave you sprinting desparately for cover when you're spotted and bandits open fire, or you hear the dreaded screech of a stalker in the sewers beginning his charge.

Live this game, invest yourself in it and you will love it. Since completing this game I haven't actually been able to get into any other new games, they just feel so shallow and pointless now... This game will stay with me for a LONG time.
  12. Aug 4, 2013
    Let me start off by saying; this was not a 10/10 experience for me, hence the rating. I played through this on hard difficulty. Combat is a fairly large part of the game, and I couldn't enjoy it. It might be that I am not used to aiming with a stick. But its not just the gunplay I have problems with. The AI; your companions ofttimes runs into enemies, however, as long as you are in stealth, they are invisible to the enemy AI. The infected (even the ones that scream constantly) will hear you unless you sneak extremely slowly, humans don't hear your steps at all as long as you are crouched. Humans in cover knows you are aiming at them and will not uncover unless you look away. Even if you slay people (with endless ammo?) there are small chances of them dropping ANYTHING. There are too much to mention, and all these things makes many encounters annoying. But don't get me wrong, encounters can still be very enjoyable. If you manage to sneak past several guys unnoticed, or "make every bullet count."

The moments between the encounters is when this game really shines. It is incredibly well made; the world and environments are really detailed. This makes exploring a joy. The relationship between the main characters is not something you usually get served in a game. It's brilliant, and it the main reason this game is epic. Pay good attention to the story and it will reward you with some philosophical questions, worthy of your thoughts. But, it's brutal and unpredictable. I think some people might not like this. Don't expect a Hollywood flick with glitter and happy endings... Great atmosphere. Great animations. Great graphics. I've run out of things to say.
  13. Jun 23, 2013
    A perfect 10! What else needs to be said about this masterpiece...This is the first game that had such an emotional impact on me that I found myself tear up twice throughout the campaign. If you want to see what a team at the absolute top of their game can produce check out Naughty Dog's masterwork. It's probably the most amazing game of this entire generation. Multiplayer is a nice mix of uncharted and gears of war and is extremely fun to play. One of the best new franchises in years and a true model of why games are an art form. Expand
  14. dz9
    Jun 24, 2013
    To start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice acting and motion capturing combined with the atmosphere make this game a visual delicacy. The gameplay is a simple and familiar one (I can understand the people that can not bare this game because of the familiar stealth), effective and tense in parts, but hair-pulling and repetitive in others. You pretty much have to play stealth for the majority of your time playing TLoU, fighting your way past zombie-inspired monsters and your fellow human survivors. The stealth is very simple but overall effective, however when the game gives you the objective to clear all enemies in a given area, it makes the game feel too "video game-y" and breaks the immersion it tries so desperately to set up. Also breaking the immersion is the awful Ai. For your allies, too often do they get in your way or frantically and aimlessly running in plain sight of the enemy without even somehow being spotted. For your enemies, the lack of variety of the zombies make getting through them extremely repetitious and the AI for the human foes range from Super Sight, eyes in the back of their head, and unbelievable stupidity. The human AI is never consistent and too often will your carefully thought out stealth streak be interrupted by the unbearable AI. The crafting system is a great thought and raises the tense moments of combat even more due to the live action inventory mechanic, only gripe regarding it is the fact is that I never felt constricted to craft items which I should feel in an apocalyptic horror game, because although the ammo felt balanced right, the supplies to make molotovs, nailbombs, and health packs came all too in abundance. The story although not outstanding, is workable, it gets you from point A to point B effectively while coming up with a few cool ideas along the way. The best part of the story is the interactions between the characters you'll meet, seeing them evolve as characters and grow before the player's eyes is a narrative treat.
    In the End: The Last of Us sports a decent story, a great and believable cast of characters, outstanding visuals, but lacks depth and consistency in the gameplay especially with in the AI department.
    The Last of Us 7.8/10
  15. Jun 22, 2013
    As a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea of transporting someone from point A to point B, in the end, graphics are quite good, gameplay is average though puzzle solving and platforming sections are nearly exactly the same every time in a different area which is frustrating, another criticism I have is the ending, it left me speechless, but in the wrong way, I couldn't tell weather the game was good or bad after reaching the ending, which just felt like I went in an entire circle and happened abruptly, it wasn't a bad or good ending it was more like a stalemate in gaming, in the end, if you're looking for perfect. the first half-hour will be impressive, but the rest of the game, simply became an exercise or predictability, sudden and annoying combat and a story that tries to invest you emotionally, but worked more at the beginning then it did in the actual ending, in the end, I am waiting for the day when games like Spec Ops, The Walking Dead and the new Tomb Raider are combined properly without any problems and choice that affects the story, not just the combat, In the end, an overrated game, but not a bad one, the story intrigued me at the time despite predictability but ended horribly Expand
  16. Jul 28, 2013
    The Last of Us is a beautiful, emotional tale that remains resonant in and out of gameplay, in and out of cutscenes, whether you're shooting cordiceps or humans, and whether you're scavenging for ammo and medkits or exploring to learn more about the world. The game also has the advantage of being Triple-A funded, so the producttion values are incredible, too. Beautiful graphics, visceral and brutal gameplay, fantastic mo-cap acting, and an emotional narrative make this game hard to fault. Expand
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    Amazing game. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome atmosphere. This is one of the very few games that has actually made me care for the characters. I was very happy with the ending of this game, it may not be as good as Bioshock Infinite's ending, but I was happy with it.
  18. Jun 29, 2013
    This is the best gaming experience of this generation. If you haven't played or beaten The Last of Us, what are you waiting for. I can't even say anything, it's just brilliant all over it.
  19. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly well developed characters and best cut scenes seen on the ps3 to date! Expand
  20. Jul 31, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is definitely worth playing. Although some things bugged me about it (friendly AI when using stealth & some design flaws) the story and intensity during game play made it whole. I want to keep the score high so I'll give it a 10, but it gets a 9.5/10 from me. Expand
  21. Jul 17, 2013
    Although I'm guilty of dishing out a few 10/10's (MGS4, Uncharted 2, GTA4), if there is any title in the last few decades that truly deserves a 10, it's The Last Of Us. Yes, it's fluid mechanics, gorgeous graphics, flawless presentation and dynamic voice acting will have you in awe of what Naughty Dog has pulled off. What really sets it apart from the pack is how this game makes you feel. The spectrum of emotions I felt were unlike any other game I've played in my 25+ years of gaming, and marked the first time I stopped a game to check in with myself emotionally (heart racing and on the verge of tears). I had no idea that a video game could evoke such an array of real emotions (along with having a blast). For this alone I will forever be a Naughty Dog junkie and purchase whatever they spit out. They are easily the developers of the decade and this is easily the game of the year, quite possibly the game of an era. Expand
  22. Jun 21, 2013
    I was apprehensive about exactly how "amazing" the game would be because I was let down the last time I played a game with as much hype surrounding it as this one. The Last of Us met and exceeded the high expectations I had for it. Gameplay, visuals, and story were all superb. Not one to miss.
  23. Jul 17, 2013
    I've waited a long time for games to reach this level of maturity in story telling, which is the number one reason this gets a 10 from me. Outstanding character development, script, story and heartbreakingly natural character animations. This brings cinematic gaming storytelling toe to toe with some of the best feature films out there. Match that with Naughty Dogs ability to create visually gorgeous games and a fine tuned survival horror game play experience, The Last of Us deserves a solid 10. Truly a masterpiece. Expand
  24. Jun 23, 2013
    After playing games on every system since Atari, this will go down as my favorite game of all time. This isn't a mindless action packed shoot em' up game. It plays more like Metal Gear Solid Splinter Cell, where you're forced to stealth around to take out your enemies individually rather then go guns blazing. If you don't strategize your approach, you'll surely die. The ammo and weapons you have are limited, so you have to play smart. I only played on normal, and I plan to replay it on survival mode where the supplies are even further limited.

This game is also scary. It kind of brings me back to what Resident Evil used to be. All about survival, and being scared to explore new rooms. The zombies are referred to as infected, and they're not your traditional zombies (dead coming back to life and you have to kill the brain). They are more like zombies from 28 Days Later. Just regular humans who get a disease and turn crazy in a matter of minutes. Also, the infected have different phases (based on how long they've been infected), which allows for a variety in characteristics and different means of dispatching. Nothing worse than getting the attention of one infected who wakes up all their nearby friends. You can go from focused to panic in a matter of seconds.

The game play and feel of the game is a good blend between MGS and Resident Evil (both in my top 10), which I already stated. But what really puts this game over the top for me are two things: the lack of repetition in the fight sequences and the best story telling ever made in a video game. First, I say lack of repetition because every fight scene feels unique. Your environment plays a huge part on how you kill enemies, and there's not a single piece of landscape, building, or road that is reused. Also, you have so many different means of killing enemies using firearms, bow and arrows, smoke grenades, make-shift bombs, molotov knives, blunt objects, choke holds or hand-to-hand combat. Second, the best story telling every! I've never felt so invested in two video game characters than Joel and Ellie. The actors they casted for the voices did an amazing job. Also the dialogue between all the characters felt so genuine. Most of the story telling were done with cut scenes, but how they depicted the movement, gestures and facial expressions of these characters, on top of the incredible voice acting, made everything feel real. Sometimes I forgot I was playing a video game.

Best game ever. I can't wait to play it again!
  25. Jun 23, 2013
    Amazing game no flaws what so ever, the story is great but the true jewel in the game are the characters of Joel and Ellie. Multiplayer has a great concept but it's really an absurd one way win almost all the time. There is no opportunity to play solo this game type is forcefully team based and if your own team decides to go each on their own you're in for a bitter match, this isn't call of duty. Anyway this game isn't really about multiplayer, it has tons of replay value and without a doubt one of the best games of this generation. Expand
  26. Jun 25, 2013
    I've enjoyed Naughty Dog's previous games. I figured that I would end up enjoying The Last of Us because of the previous experiences that I have had, and I was not disappointed. This is the greatest game I have ever played, and it is now my favorite game of all time. I love this game and I couldn't help enjoying every minute of it, the amazing story-line, the characters, the game-play, and even the multiplayer. It''s an all around amazing experience that should not be passed up. Expand
  27. Jun 29, 2013
    TLOU=The Citizens Kane of Gaming
    No other game has grasped me like TLOU has, TLOU is a game for the ages and one that has redefined an era of gaming.
    -Characters: The characters in this game are very well written and deep especially Joel and Ellie. The constant chatter between the two makes for some of the best dialogue.
    -Graphics: The game looks beautiful and is the messiah of console
    graphics
    -Pacing: the pacing is fantastic because of how varied the gameplay is, you can shoot your way through or stealth kill through.
    -Verdict: The GOAT!!!!!!!
  28. Jun 23, 2013
    I for one, thought that this game was everything I expected it to be. It doesn't matter how good something is, there are those who will find fault with anything. For those complaining about the graphics- what the Hell were you playing it on? I thought it had excellent graphics. The story was well written and the characters were all hardened by their surroundings, but still managed to show the kind of emotion void in survival games. The problem with gaming is everyone has been spoiled with games that cater to the run and gun style. When games come along that actually make you slow down, and have to make a choice with limited ammo, limited resources, and limited options, it seems either some cannot grasp this concept and or they adapt. Just like real life. No game is true to life, especially military shooters. Being a former Marine, I play some of these but find myself amused by the comments of some gamers make in regards to "if they were in that situation". Funny. I really found the pace of The Last of Us to be somewhat truer to form if things were catastrophic. I have played alot of games, and truly have to say that this is one of the best games I have ever played. I felt that Naughty Dog really captured the moments that were important very well. There were parts of the game that made you feel the torment of the character, and parts that made you want to kill. I play both Xbox and PS3, and I really and truly have to say that Naughty Dog has made another epic game that I can only find on my PS3, which has become the norm. If you truly love gaming, not just running around like an idiot, enjoy a game with depth and story, want more than the "typical" game that has been offered up as of late, then I highly recommend this game for you. If not, then expand your mind a little. Their are moments in this game that would make most feel sad or moved somewhat. It was nice to feel something for the characters and seeing their torment and very few highs in a desolate world I really hope that more developers will push themselves the way this company has to make a superior product. Their is no excuse in 2013 for some of the crap being put out. This game should be a benchmark for what can be done if certain elements are combined. Making a survival game that clearly stands above others (Walking Dead was great as well) Naughty Dog proved that making a great game with all the aspects in the survival genre could be done. Expand
  29. Jul 19, 2013
    EXTRAORDINÁRIO! Até hoje um dos melhores jogos que tive o privilégio de jogar, um inicio emocionante, enredo espetacular e final surpreendente.Controle do jogo muito bom, onde em diversas situações preciso ter paciência para realizar uma ação.Gráficos até então não visto em qualquer jogo lançado para esta geração, confirmando que o jogo utilizou todos os recursos possíveis do console.Compra certa para quem gosta de um bom jogo.Garanto, vocês irão gostar muito do que vão ver! Expand
  30. Jun 24, 2013
    Before one dies, there are movies that have to be seen, books that have to be read, countries that have to be visited, and games that have to be played. And one of them is The Last of Us: a truly piece of art. amazing attention to detail, impressive technical aspect, but overall, an extraordinary wrapped in one of the best scripts written for a videogame. I got a PS3 only for this game, and it was well worth it. Expand
  31. Jun 19, 2013
    I have been a gamer for many years, more predominantly on the PC and I decided I wanted to try a game that can only be played on one console (Playstation 3 of course) This game is by far one of the best games to have ever been created and this deserves it’s spot high up In the rankings, with the likes of other titles such as: Half-Life 1 and 2, GTA IV, Uncharted 2 etc. The Last Of Us has it all; great graphics (even for a console), incredible dialogue, immersive environments, in-depth and satisfying combat mechanics, intriguing plot, well developed characters and the relationship with the characters (especially Joel and Ellie) is just pure magical. The list can go on, there is never a dull moment in this game and the more you play it you will never want to put it down, it actually keeps you wanting more and more. Aside from the single player there is the multiplayer which is surprisingly addictive, it’s a lot more slower paced than your average FPS twitch shooter and it requires a lot of team work. There are upgrades to weapons as well as weapon unlocks so the progression is quite thorough and well implemented. All in all Naughty Dog have created a master piece and this game should not be missed, a highly recommended game for what could be one of if not the only contender for game of the year. Expand
  32. Jul 10, 2013
    If I could sum up the review in one word it will be: masterpiece.

I have played video games for the last 25 years and this game just topped my list of best games of all time. I don't think I have ever played a game on the edge of my seat as I did with this game. The plot/story is amazing and the execution of the actual game-play is top notch.

I highly recommend this game to anyone
    who wants to experience the peak of media entertainment. Expand
  33. Jun 17, 2013
    This one brings movies and games closer together (like Heavy rain did), and I like it. The voice-acting is outstanding. The graphics are great for PS3. The environment is beautiful (I like the seasons they follow). The game-play is great. It takes a while to get used to the guns but they are very different. The story has been seen before but it's told in a great way. You feel very bad when a character dies because you started to care for them after a while. It is one of the best games I have ever played of this generation and before! 10/10. Expand
  34. Aug 19, 2013
    Bitter sweet. Fantastic game and the plot accurately depicts how a situation such as this would conclude. Hey besides the phenomenal story there's a FPS mode online. That's pretty fun. Reminds me of Gears of War. Overall not the best game in the world, but it was up there. 9.5/10
  35. Jul 28, 2013
    I've played many games throughout my 30 years of living in this planet and The Last of Us is by far the best game I've ever experienced. Never have I cared more about characters than I did for Joel and Ellie. The combat is great and while not perfect (sometimes the enemy AI doesn't see Ellie when it should, and sometimes it doesn't notice their dead comrades as soon as they should), the fact that you care so much about Joel and Ellie makes the combat so much more fun.

The cutscenes are awesome and there's plenty of them in this game. The weapons rpg system is good, you can choose to upgrade the weapons that are important to you and you have many customization options such as increasing the range, increasing the amount of bullets in the clip, increasing the power of the bullets, and increasing the firing rate. You start the game with a simple gun and by the end of the game you'll have some powerful military grade weapons in your arsenal.

The multiplayer is also real good. You have two options, a team deathmatch or survivor mode. Team deathmatch doesn't need an explanation and survivor mode is 5 or 6 rounds of last team standing. If you're not awesome with shooters get ready to be pwned hard, they have some really good players that will make you feel like a nooblet. If for some reason you don't like hearing people talk on the microphone there's an option to mute.

The story in this game is so good, this game is so good that if you don't have a PS3 yet now is the perfect time to get one cheap just to play this game, and if you wait a few months for the PS4 release I bet you will find used PS3s cheap on Ebay and Amazon. I liked this game so much that if they ever release this game on PS4 with improved loading and textures I would buy it immediately.
  36. Jun 17, 2013
    very good game. game is good. play game many time with whole family. recommend game to many player who want good game. ending very emotional. am very upset.
  37. Aug 1, 2013
    The game of my life! That is it! The best game I ever played. Great history, amazing graphics, wonderfull setting and a nice gameplay. I did not tried multiplayer yet, but singleplayer is perfect!
  38. Aug 8, 2013
    Overall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the melee weapons have limited uses. Does an iron pipe rally fall apart the 6th time you hit a zombie with it? The second is ammo. All your human enemies that are armed with ranged weapons will fire ammo like its going out of fashion. You will struggle to find every bullet. If you defeat a human enemy who has being firing continuously at you, you may find 2 or 3 bullets as loot IF you're lucky. So how come everyone has buckets of ammo except you? And where does it vanish to when they die? Finally if you find the M16 assault rifle dont bother with it as its ludicrously undepowered compared to every other gun. Those are small points, but compared to, say skyrim, where NPCs carry the loot they carry into battle the one sided ammo bias does break the immersion. Expand
  39. Feb 22, 2014
    I am confident to say that The Last of Us is the best game that I have played in this generation. Even though my favorite genre is JRPG, I recognize all the developers’ efforts in this memorable masterpiece.

First of all, this game is not a shooter. Every year people complain about the same franchises arguing that they do not innovate. Ironically, games like Call of Duty still continue
    to break sales record over and over. To be honest, I expected that The Last of Us was going to be somewhat Uncharted-like (since it’s from the same studio), but for my surprise it is not. It is all about surviving. You have to make every bullet count instead of shooting frenetically. In my opinion, a game has a good chance of succeeding by not being more from the same saturated shooter industry. Another thing that makes the game brilliant is the stealth system. It completely suits with the survival aspect.

Secondly, I believe that games are not only about gameplay but also story and soundtrack. The cast is memorable and the voice acting is amazing. It is easy to have immersion in the game because you get involved with the events between Joel and Ellie. They are charismatic and somehow invite you to be part of their adventure. One thing that I have to highlight is the fact that this game is not about zombies. In fact, the term used to describe these kind of enemies is “infected”. No banal things like “shoot only in the head to kill them” exist. People are just infected. It is possible to kill some of them unarmed and not by blowing up their heads. Some levels of infection require weapons to kill enemies, but it is a feature that adds challenge to the game. The concept of infected may not be original, but from I gather it is easy to distinguish the infected ones from this game.

For these reasons, The Last of Us is my game of the generation. In a world where console games seems to decline year after year with the advent of mobile and casual games, I cheer that hardcore, innovative and memorable games continue to come. Naughty Dog was able to prove that even in the end of generation there is still hope for old school gamers.
  40. Aug 3, 2013
    Probably the best game I've ever played and arguably everything about this game shines. Naughty Dog have done it again. The Last Of Us has outstanding graphics, good gameplay, sound, and perfect voice acting. The whole game was like playing and watching a movie and I've really never heard better voice acting in a game before. You care so much about Ellie and Joel and there is much character development throughout the game. Supporting characters are very memorable too.
    The graphics and environments are also drop-dead gorgeous, and more than once I had to stop and gaze at the view at the stunning scenery in many of the levels.
    Gameplay-wise it's good and there are many ways to take out enemies, be it all-guns blazing or stealthily, depending on your available resources. A very minor niggle is that sometimes the AI of your companions can be imperfect: they're not really noticed by enemies for example but that doesn't falter from the combat. Speaking of which both the shooting mechanics and physical attacks are simple and very satisfying, and being able to upgrade weapons, collect items, and improve skills is a nice touch.
    Overall, another glorious game from Naughty Dog that will be remembered for years to come. A clear contender for GOTY.
  41. Jul 24, 2013
    This game, this masterpiece truly is the pinnacle of story telling, at the start when you watch Sarah die, well, you know a game is good when watching that makes you cry, this game, words can not explain the power of this game, a video game like this will always find a special place in anybodies heart, this character development, the story telling, no fact that the pase is not broken due to loading screens, the graphics, the atmosphere, there truly is no game like this, it really is the pinnacle of story telling, Naughty Dog, good job guys, you really have defined the true power of video game story telling, absolutely amazing. Expand
  42. Jun 29, 2013
    I loved this game until I was thrown into the woods and saw an arrow go through a baby bunny. And then I had to kill a deer. Sigh. Everything up until that point was excellent. Production values were amazing. Stealth was a blast. The crafting system felt rewarding. And the dialogue between the two main characters was more deep than anything I've experienced in a game before.
  43. Feb 18, 2014
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    Absolutely not "overrated" (which is a word thrown around all too often lately).
    The part that shines is the narrative, the characters, the dialogue, the environment, etc.
    The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil.
    Everything is done right. Controls are great.
    If you don't care about those qualities or the gameplay genre, play something else. If you do play this, do the world a favor and don't rate it because it'd be like a person with no taste buds rating classy cuisine.
  44. Jul 27, 2013
    One of the best games ever created.Missing this game would be the biggest mistake a gamer can make. If you don't have a PS3, go and buy it right now just for The Last of Us.
  45. Jul 9, 2013
    Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaantastic game! best i have ever played so far.
  46. Jun 17, 2013
    I am not going to go into too much depth, but I just want to say something. How could all these positive reviews be soooo wrong as some of the negative raters are saying? These critics know what they are talking about, and they qouldnt rate a game that is So broken, frustrating and overrated".

That being said, the game is a must play for Uncharted fans, PS3 owners, zombie fans, and
    gamers that enjoy emotional story telling with a lot of violence.

Multiplayer will give many hours if you take your time to learn how to play.

Bottom line, play this game because it is one of the best gaming experiences that I have encountered ever.
  47. Aug 27, 2013
    Amazing gameplay, characters, story and graphics. It was brutally intense and nearly always challenging. Not only is the story one of the best game experiences I've ever witnessed, the Multiplayer is also very good and addicting.
  48. Jun 18, 2013
    It's been a long time since a game has affected me the way this one has. This is a true masterpiece and should be played by everyone. Everything the two characters (Joel and Ellie) go through, every decision they make, are very real and gives off a sense of atmosphere. We watch as these two grow closer and form a bond with each other to the point where Joel would give up everything for her. The whole game is simply put, a mindblowing experience. The only games that top this is my personal all time favorite series Metal Gear Solid, but that being said this is a close second. I don't know HOW Naughty Dog managed to top Uncharted 2 but they did it!! THEY DID IT!! :D Expand
  49. Aug 7, 2013
    A good movie with overall acceptable gameplay, but without going into the depth with its game mechanics. A lot of potential is missed here. It would be 10/10 if it had been a movie, but as a video game it doesn't bring anything interesting or new to the table. What the game offers: -An immersing 12 hour long campaign with very limited replay value -Overall beautiful but linear level design
    -A given narrative that doesn't interact with the player at any point in the game and based on that a somewhat disappointing ending

-Stealth mechanics that aren't very rewarding or engaging
    -Relatively simple melee combat mechanics
    -Solid but not very impressive shooting mechanics
    -Options to upgrade several abilities and weapons but most of them appear pointless due to being useless
    -Overall not much variety when it comes to progressing in the game In the end you will be strangling punching most enemies to death anyway or you will avoid it when the level design dictates it

-Overall very good voice acting and sound quality
    -Overall good visuals
    -Overall very good and believable animations

This game is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's deserving of a 7 or 8. It's miles away from being the game of the year, though, and it definitely is not the game of the generation. For that all game mechanics are too shallow and the game re-playability is missing. Naughty Dog should have given this project to a movie director, they chose the wrong media format for their story.
  50. Jun 23, 2013
    This year has seen an incredible spike in the quality of videogame storytelling (and GTA 5 is still to come, as well as Beyond: Two Souls). PC gamers have enjoyed strong, narrative-driven games for decades, while console games have generally languished in a gameplay-first, story-second mentality (not an inherently bad ideology, but not one that exactly encourages the pillars of storytelling) during that same period. There have been great stories on console for sure, but the consistency and ingenuity as of late has been unprecedented, and so very welcome. The Last of Us marries gameplay and story in such a way as to set the benchmark for the next generation. This is how you do it. Naughty Dog has taken the framework of the Uncharted franchise, gameplay-wise, and stripped it of its' wild acrobatics and treasure-hunting in favor of grueling survival and supply-scavenging. This ever-present struggle fuels the emotionally-charged, tense, and unforgettable story of two survivors amidst a world gone mad, a story that at times shocks, inspires awe, and breaks your heart. The seamless in and out between gameplay and story, the pitch-perfect pacing, is something that could only be achieved by a studio at the height of its' ability, and the freedom to do so. Sony and Naughty Dog deserve many accolades for this achievement. The game isn't perfect (the enemy AI, which seems to be a common gripe, is a bit simple, and their ignorance of your companions is both bizarre and disappointing, but I still ended up dying 70 times on Hard, so maybe I should be grateful), but the resounding successes of the game bury deep any minor qualms. Furthermore, the multiplayer, which carries over nicely from the main game and features a surprisingly addictive metagame, is a fantastic bonus that only serves to bury deeper still those tiny, insignificant misgivings. I strongly encourage anyone to play this, as long as you can stomache the violence and themes, and judge for yourself. For a game about what could be the end of the world, it makes me look forward to the future of gaming. Expand
  51. Jun 22, 2013
    The Last of Us shows the world that gaming is as legitimate an entertainment form as any other medium, it defines its genre of action-adventure and it is also the biggest reason to own a PS3 if you dont already.
    20 years ago a fungal infection spread across the world, killing most of the human race. Now in the year 2033 the USA is governed by a security force who have herded survivors
    into quarantine zones, they are ruthless and will dish out punishment with extreme prejudice. An underground movement known as the Fireflies is rebelling against them and you, a middle aged man named Joel, are tasked with assisting them in escorting a young girl named Ellie across the country for she holds the cure to the virus that has plagued the world for 20 years.
    The story takes place over roughly a year and shows how Joel & Ellie's relationship changes from two people who are stuck with each other to that of a Father and Daughter scenario. This brings in some great plotlines usually revolving around concepts such as life and death or survival.
    The graphical standard of TLoU is simply mind-blowing, this is probably the best looking PS3 game ever made, from the lighting to the motion capture and textures, everything is utterly beautiful in TLoU.
    The multiplayer is also fun and doesn't compromise the main storylines quality.
    In short TLoU is a 12-15 hour thrill ride. If Telltale's The Walking Dead and Resident Evil 4 had a baby (whilst Uncharted was briefly involved for a threesome) this would be it. The Last of Us is superb from heart wrenching beginning to tear jerking end and once you are done all you want to do is go back and play it again and again.
  52. Jun 23, 2013
    I have got to start off this review by giving a big round of applause for Naughty Dog on yet another great hit, if not amazing. I have to say this is the best game I have played in years, and that's saying a lot with all the games I play. This games story is brilliant, sad, happy, depressing, gross, and somehow pulls all that off. There's nothing here I can say that pulled me away from the experience. Aside from a few visual glitches (arms through bodies, people stuck inside stairs), this games pulls everything together and makes it one of the best games ever made. The shooting mechanics are great, the lack of ammo in the world really adds to the feeling of hopelessness, the letters you find in the game world really put you in someones else's shoes and shows a bit of back story. The prologue of the game was the hook that really pulls you in, and kept me playing for the next 3-4 hours. Also I was absolutely amazed at the graphics in this game, coming from Naughty Dog you already have high expectations and the graphics blew me away. The coolest thing about it is that the load times are so minimal (I have the digital edition, which may make a difference in load times) and the game seamlessly blends cut scenes and action or cut scenes and drama. I also loved the way the characters reacted with each other, there is some really good humor in this game to bring you away from destruction for a bit. I loved the environments in this game, how vines grew up on buildings years old, or travelling through tunnels full of poisonous spores. This game has everything any gamer would want, Uncharted fan or not. Pick this game up now. Expand
  53. Dec 10, 2013
    There is not much i can say about this game. It's a masterpiece in storytelling,pacing and immersion the gameplay is very tight it's almost flawless and the the soundtrack fits perfectly with the game and it's hauntingly beautiful.The graphics and the scenery are breathtaking especially for a game that runs on an 8 year old console. The campaign is EPICLY long!! it took me almost 17 hours to finish it the first and the second time and that's pretty impressive IMO for a single player game which is so good to be this long especially for today's standards, ohh and the campaign itself is EPIC. The game is almost perfect except there are a few glitches which i hated but they are minor problems compared to the full package of what this incredible game offers! Oh and there is MP which is very fun and unique.

There you have it i don't think there will ever be a game that will leave a special feeling in your heart like this! 10/10! if you don't play this you fail as a gamer simple as that.
  54. Oct 22, 2013
    Its ok had one playthrough didn't seem anything special, found it quite easy to do. Can't see what all the hypes about? Really just a lot of shooting and little bit of sneaking mostly...
  55. Aug 8, 2013
    I think of The Last of Us and I think of perfection. I think of a game that is just brilliant and will be looked upon by the future generations to come. The story is brilliant. The gameplay is fun, smooth, and fluid. The graphics are gorgeous. The sound is superb. As for the game…it truly is a masterpiece.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/
  56. Jul 7, 2013
    This is one of the only games I've played that I would call a masterpiece. Never have I seen every aspect of a game work so well together. The story, the game play, everything. It's all so perfect, and so dark. Definitely a transcendent piece or art.
  57. Jun 18, 2013
    A masterpiece, Naughty Dog delivers once again. The last of us is well acted, well written and beautiful as well as dreary and depressing. There isn't a studio out there putting nearly as much care and love into what they do that Naughty dog does. So much care has been put into the characters and story, so much subtle and beautiful animation detail into the faces in the cutscenes. Seeing the relationship change between Joel and Ellie was breath taking and had me shouting at my TV in anger at Joel.

I know what you're thinking... Post apocalyptic, zombie like creatures, no Nathan Drake... Well stop! I understand your pre-conceived notions of how these games are. This isn't the walking dead, it's not Fallout and it certainly isn't Uncharted although the game mechanics share a lot of similarities. The gun play in this game is vastly improved from what Naughty Dog has done before and although sometimes the AI will prove me wrong the AI is much more intelligent. But most importantly killing the AI in this game is more meaningful as you feel like you're protecting Ellie and will do whatever it takes to get her through this world safely.

As a final note I would suggest you play through this without caring for trophies as you will not get the bulk of them until the end of your third play through. I understand the appeal of trophies as I wear my platinum's for all of Naughty Dog's games with pride. But after finishing the game on hard you will only have 8% of the trophies. Good luck and have fun!
  58. Jun 25, 2013
    It's perfect and I honestly don't know what to say other than that. The characters, the environment, the realism, I just don't see how anyone could hate this game (I guess if you have a weak stomach). ND doesn't hold back with this shocker of a game. Some scenes left me breathless with a feeling of "wow, that just happened..."

ND did a phenomenal job and this is my personal GOTY.
  59. Oct 17, 2013
    Purchased GTA v and Last of Us together in a bundle. Played GTA for first two days and loved it. then thought I would give Last of Us a quick go. Two weeks later and it's been the only game I have played, in fact it's the most amazing game I have played on the PS3 since launch. This is the first game I have ever bothered to watch the cut scenes, it's just so compelling, like watching a good movie you can interact with.

Ok so there are some minor niggles, combat could be better and sometimes you can spend ages trying to find a way past something only to find you have to be in an exact position before you see the little green triangle.

However, absolutely love the game, and the graphics can be breathtaking. How they did all this on a PS3 is beyond me, just makes me imagine what they will do with the PS4
  60. Jul 22, 2013
    Amazing game...the story and characters are what drive you to play more. There are some creepy moments in pitch black, which thankfully give it a sense of horror. There are slight issues (some odd graphical glitches here and there...your partner AI runs in weird places and is completely invisible to the enemy), but it's easy to overlook. It's odd how people are saying in their reviews that they absolutely loved the game, but the AI problem took some immersion out of the game, and then rate it a 0. Makes no sense. All the positivity of what you're hearing is true, so go play it! Expand
  61. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that did happen, with a small glance, a person with a brain can realize that joel is replacing his daughter with ellie, when joel solely glances at something, and that is another amazing part of the game. it is like a movie, they don't have to use words to get the point across, their eyes talk a lot, which is amazing for a game. to the people complaining about graphics, who gives a the game is beautiful, with an amazing story, graphics don't matter, maybe i am biased because i grew up with a colecovision, but the graphics are good enough to see everything in great detail. Finally, the combat is clunky and annoying at times, but it is like that for a reason, this game is not call of duty, the combat is not made to shoot at most parts, shooting (most of the time) is a punishment for not remaining stealthy, anyway you can fix the weapon sway with upgrades.
    Buy it or not, you should buy it, once you start playing the game, it would be hard to let go of it. It is addictive!!!
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    While, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot I was watching a video game and felt like I was watching real people trek through a journey of survival. I think the overall gameplay experience will be a love it or hate it. Like some games that focus solely on action combat, this game focuses solely on survival combat. Theres not a lot of variety between core gameplay mechanics. Its always either stealth, survival combat, or environmental traversal. So if you love those mechanics, you'll love this game, but if you wish for something more, this game may not satisfy you completely. Also, this is not really a horror game, its a survival game. It not scary in the sense that when you see a monster you are horrified by its look and sound, its horrifying in the sense of hopelessness the present world evokes. Its horrifying to see how people now interact with each other because of this hopelessness in the world. The reason I didn't give the game a 10 was the survival of the main characters at times seemed so far fetched and forced to keep the story going. While I know this is just a "game" and pretty much every game does this, I think it stood out more in this game because everything else was so much more immersive. Also, the core gameplay wasn't my cup of tea. Overall tho, I enjoyed Naughty Dog's unique take on the zombie videogame genre. Expand
  63. Jun 27, 2013
    I have decided to wait a little bit before reviewing this game, so that I can let the hype and expectations settle before they cloud my judgement in an early review. However, my opinions of this game have not changed since the first second I played it, and that is that this game is a masterpiece. This game comes as something of a swam song from Naughty Dog on the PS3, a special game to kick off the PS4 and begin to close out the PS3 era, much akin to Sony Santa Monica's God of War 2.

For the record, I am not going to talk about the multiplayer, which I've heard is fantastic, but never played and I don't really think that is what the game is about.

Something you will notice off the bat are the very high production values. There is a great original score, talented voice acting, and top notch graphics and animations in this game. However, all of that would not begin to matter if the game did not come through in the gameplay and story department. Lucky for us, it does.

You play as Joel, a hardened man riddled with grief from a tragic event 20 years before the story occurs. Through some *spoiler-free* circumstances, he is charged with transporting a young girl, Ellie, across a fungus-ravaged United States. The story is really what drives this game home, and is what you will remember it for. There is a range of feelings that you will get from this game, from sadness and happiness to even anger. This is the game that people will be talking about for years to come, and most of that is due to it's awesome story.

Now, this would all be for nothing if it didn't have enjoyable gameplay, something The Last of Us also delivers on. You control Joel for most of the game. Stealth plays a major role and while it isn't technically a necessity, if you want some ammo saved for the more difficult encounters, you will need to keep the noise down. Having such sheer numbers of enemies to face means that the tension really builds, especially with Clicker and Bloater Infected enemies, there is an undeniable tension that you will feel, because one wrong step can mean brutal death at the hands of these beasts. You can turn the tables back in your favour with an awesome crafting system, which lets you create tools of both stealth and war. Create a smoke bomb to stun human enemies while you go in for the takedown, create a health kit to heal yourself, or upgrade your weapon to one-hit kill.

All of this comes together in an excellent package, which not only happens to be the best Playstation 3 exclusive, but joins the conversation for best of the generation.
  64. Sep 15, 2013
    I'm currently half the way first playthrough but there is absolutely nothing that could spoil pure 10 score for this game. Awesome graphics, incredible story and probably most balanced stealth gameplay in history make this game one of top games ever made.

99% people with bad scores for this game are XBox trols because this is their only PS3 review after a lot of Box reviews. If you
    already don't have PS this is one of the games which make worth to buy. Hope they will make PS4 version and give us cheap upgrade!!! Expand
  65. Jul 31, 2013
    A masterpiece. Naughty Dog made yet another masterpiece. This game is as close to perfection as ever: a deep and emotional storyline with an unforgettable ending (and the beginning, actually), hauntingly beautiful graphics with clever level design, memorable soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, engaging stealth-based gameplay and a surprisingly robust multiplayer mode. If I was asked for any minuses, I'd only mention the fact that your AI buddies sometimes act weird, running around the level, sometimes even bumping into enemies who can't spot them. But that's only a minor fault that in no way compromises the game's overall quality. My verdict is simple: if you own a PS3, buy it. If you don't, seriously consider doing so, you're missing out something truly marvellous. Expand
  66. Jul 19, 2013
    The best such game I've every played. Overall, its more of a story than a game experience
    Everything is pretty linear, but that's OK because the point is to get through the story
    The game elements are just spice tasty spice
    The detail to attention is phenomenal as per other ND titles
    Gripping. Never had a game effect me quite this way
  67. Aug 16, 2013
    While this game is a bit overrated, it is an excellent game nonetheless. It has an amazing story that captures and immerses the player. It's a bit predictable at times, but it's so well acted and it reads so much like a book that it is truly something special. The gameplay is not too good though. It's fun at first, but after awhile, it becomes repetitive as the challenge simply becomes: think inside this box some more. It would have been better had there been challenges that forced you to think beyond what you've been thinking for the latter half of the game. However, failures aside, this game is a must play, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Expand
  68. Jul 5, 2013
    NO SPOILERS I promise! To start I was not really interested in this game. I have enjoyed the uncharted series, but survival games really don't interest me at all. I had nothing else to play, so I picked this game up. I have to say AMAZING! So glad I decided to buy this game. The story is just above what other games are producing. I have not played a game in a while that had me so tuned to my TV. A wonderful story that everyone should enjoy. Expand
  69. Sep 27, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feels repetitive. The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story. Expand
  70. Aug 15, 2013
    I am simply lost for words when it comes to this game, it is quite simply the best game I have ever played and without a doubt the best game of our generation. From the heart breaking start to the heart pumping ending, The Last Of Us never once failed to submerge me from the story or game play throughout the very satisfying 15 hour length. What surprised me most about the game was in fact the incredible game play, from features such as modifying/selecting weapons in real time really change the way you regularly play.

The primary aspect of The Last Of Us is stealth. In almost every encounter it is designed for you to clear the enemies out through silent moves, of course it is your choice whether you want to do this or go in all guns blazing, but there is one problem, ammo. The player has next to no ammo in the game and what you will notice quickly is that you will be unable to pick fallen enemy weapons as soon as you have killed them. This forces the gamer to carefully choose when is the right moment to use Joel's weapons as well as being even more accurate with shots.

There is so much to say about what makes this game so perfect, so flawless, but I simply don't want to bore you away if you are reading. But I will say that I came to the conclusion that this was the best game I have ever played half way through the story, and by the time I finished it I preached to the world that The Last Of Us is the greatest game of all time.

10/10 Masterpiece
  71. Mar 23, 2014
    Masterpiece is the only thing that crosses my mind whenever I hear this game. If you own a PS3 and you love video games, it's a crime that you have not played this yet...
  72. Jun 21, 2013
    There are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is the relationships between main and supporting characters. Ellie and Joel have great chemistry, I mean GREAT chemistry. The graphics are also incredible, not suprising coming from the company that got past the steep learning curve of ps3 specs. Overall, a game with not the best gameplay, but an amazing cast and story. Expand
  73. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is a truly phenomenal game,I literally cannot find an issue with it. It will draw you into the characters and make you genuinely care for them, the voice acting is flawless, and overall the game is fantastic from start to finish, and oh god that finish.
  74. Jun 19, 2013
    A superb game from start to finish. Gripping throughout. I'm not sure where the story was taking me at times but I was more than happy with the result. You care about characters, Joel and Ellie in particular. Through every cutscene you feel the characters and how realistically they are portrayed. They breathe, they have scars, wrinkles, glossy eyes, physical features that are lifelike. The Last of Us shines in being the most realistic fictional game I have ever played. The fungi/cordyceps concept of zombifiying people is intriguing enough. There aren't enough good things to say about this game. The gameplay is stupendous, and while it takes time getting adjusted to, it feels fluent and right when you do. There's enough variety in crafting weapons and upgrading them to spice the game up when pacing gets tough. That's one of my only problem are pacing issues, but the game is so damn good and the story is so great that you trudge through the slower spots. Often times the difficulty has unreasonable spikes, but all is forgiven, when you pass a more difficult section, the payoff and reward is well worth it. The single player itself is incredible alone and worth a buy, but the multiplayer works excellently too. You have two characters that just grow so much and it's incredible to watch their journey and participate with them in a dark, realistic, beautiful disaster of a world that feels very real. Expand
  75. Oct 16, 2013
    A good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "been there, done that" feel to them. The puzzles are very easy and almost feel unnecessary in that way. If you are going to include puzzles, at least make the fun and interesting to solve. The scavenging and crafting make sense and fit well in a survival game like this but the system could have been fleshed out a lot more. Finding half broken scissors to build shivs and shrapnel bombs loses it's effect after the 100th time you do it. The graphics are great for a current gen game and the cinematics are integrated well. I tried the multiplayer and it was actually pretty good but probably won't become your new staple anytime soon. Expand
  76. Jun 26, 2013
    I really don't have words to describe how amazing this game is & how many times I stop playing wondering what the GODS from Naughty Dog did, how they create this & that & how amazing the visuals is, the game continue to surprise me in an unbelievable way again & again from start to finish the creativity of the devs & the maturity of the story set a whole new standard for a game of this generation & for video games over all, no reason to say more other than this is now for me the best exclusive on PS3 my previous one was MGS4 but that game is pure magic pure art so TLOU now won that place in my heart, every PS3 owner must play this MASTERPIECE it will be for sure an unforgettable experience. Expand
  77. Jun 25, 2013
    I have played hundreds of games in my life time, from outer space alien shooters to pirate wannabes of monkey island, but never ever have I come to play such a brilliantly created game as Last of Us. The game is perfectly ridden, it has eye dropping landscapes and heartfelt characters. I can not say anything more of this game, it is just the best game I have ever played.
  78. Jun 23, 2013
    Naughty Dog have set the standard for their Playstation exclusives next year and beyond if I had been previously on the fence about buying the Playstation 4, this game alone would have swayed me. I can't wait to see what ND have to offer next-gen.
  79. Jun 24, 2013
    First off about me:
    I don't own a stupid PlayStation 3, nor have I ever owned a PlayStation before. I hate the controller feel.. I have always had an Xbox...

I borrowed my brother-in-law's PlayStation 3 for the past week. I heard good reviews about 'The Last Of Us' video game and rented it at red box to give it a whirl. After 1 hour of gameplay I still hated the controller and
    struggled to learn it but the gameplay was unreal, the only thing I can compare the game to is Half-Life. After 3 days of renting the red box, I had to return the console to my brother-in-law's.. I wanted to finish the game, but not only that I wanted the game. If I could I would re-format my Xbox 360 into a platform that would play this game. I returned the red box, then purchased this game brand spanking new. I played it for a grand total of 14 hours straight, didn't sleep at all for one day just because I was so engulfed into the game, emotionally it was playing my feelings like a puppet, I felt so close to the characters at the end that I feel like I was with them! I beat the game and I usually get all ADHD (I have that) and never pick up a game again after beating it.. But I want to play it over and over again, and I haven't even played multiplayerr yet!
    I was going to get an Xbox One, but after playing this game, I now am banking my whole decision on This game alone. If naughty dog announces they are going to open up to other consoles, I will be getting it on the xbox one. If not.. I'm getting a PS4.
    I am a master at the controller now, and love that game. Keep making more!
  80. Jan 13, 2014
    Everything has been already written and said. It is that good, really! Anyone considering buying the cheapest secondhand peace of PS3 hardware just to give it a try should do it! Afterwards you can peacefully put it away knowing that money were most well spent!! It is that one of kind GAME that makes you totally forget about the thing that you "just playing video games", giving you the single best ART experience throughout all media (music, books, comics, movies etc..) this year.

There are some AI bugs, but you will forgive, for this one is aiming different direction. That is to give you great story, characters, experience, perspective and fill you with emotions. I dont normally write much about stuff but this time I had to just to shake it off my mind a bit. It sticks so very much.
  81. Jun 26, 2013
    An absolutely marvelous game its a must but for every ps3 owner the story line cannot compare to any game you have ever played before. You are hooked on the game from the second you pick it up
  82. Jun 25, 2013
    The game is simply amazing. The gameplay is varied, deep and intense. The plot and characters are hearty and emotionally provoking. The environments are immersive and well-crafted. Technically it's nearly flawless and while having several obvious flaws and faults, it's a masterpiece in execution and a powerful piece of interactive entertainment. It's fun, it's smart, it's emotional, it's polished, it's rewarding but above all it's (as the title suggests) one the last of the truly great games of this generation. Expand
  83. Jul 20, 2013
    You know how good everyone says it is? It's even better than that. This game is groundbreaking and just perfect in both concept and execution on nearly every level. The story is so cleverly written and deals with many mature themes, and I don't think there's any game that has had be so emotionally hooked and shocked me so much with the choices the characters have to make. I'd go into more detail, but I wouldn't dare ruin this game for anyone. In fact, if you don't have a PS3, buy one just to experience this game. And on top of that the gameplay is amazing. I heard in an interview the game was influenced by No Country For Old Men and I get that now it's not in the story but in the incredibly tense stealth/survival gameplay. I'm not joking, this is one of the best games I've played in my whole life, and I'd say the only PS3 game that it doesn't top is Metal Gear Solid 4 but that's just my opinion anyway. Get this game play it before someone spoils it because it's one of the most incredible experiences I've had with a game EVER. There are a few annoying things barely worth mentioning though it's really awkward in the sections where you have to move things and the water sections are pretty annoying, and there are some bugs and glitches that still need patching out but these are barely worth mentioning. Do not hesitate to pick up this game.

Final score: 10.0 out of 10
  84. Jul 4, 2013
    Can i give it 10 twice? I wish i could, because that's what this Masterpiece deserves! Few times in my life i was so engaged in a story, this script tops enven Walking Dead from telltale, it's awesome, the gameplay is so well polished, this for sure is the Game of Generation!
  85. Sep 12, 2013
    Right after finishing the game, I started questioning myself: If this that I've played is called "Game", Then what the hell I've been playing for the last 10 years????
  86. Dec 17, 2013
    When I wrote this review, 299 people gave a negative user score. I'm not sure if they played the same game that I did. From my countless hours spent on this games single player (I've hardly even touched the multiplayer), I can tell you that this game is among the best I've ever played, and anyone's likely to ever play. It's simply a masterpiece.
  87. Mar 15, 2014
    Wow, just wow. This game is not just one of the best games ever made, but it's also one of the best experiences I've ever had. The story is deep and extremely emotional, it hits you right from the beginning. All of the characters introduced in the game have immeasurable depth. The graphics are good for a Ps3 game, but the art direction is absolutely fantastic, they've made sure to add every little detail you can think of (vines growing on walls, buildings corroding, etc). You can tell they loved making this game. The sound in the game is fantastic as well, especially the voice acting from Troy Baker (Joel) & Ashley Johnson (Ellie). They had great chemistry with one another. Also, the gameplay is top-notch .The hand to hand combat was crafted, the way you sneak around, and the gun-play, was all given the same attention to detail as everything else, all were excellent. This is one of the best games of all-time. Expand
  88. Aug 5, 2013
    The Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, painting I've seen, Movie I've watched and so forth. The strange thing about the game is that the experience isn't your experience; It's Joel and Ellie's. Even though this is true, you create a massive emotional investment in the characters and everything they're going through. The story is told so flawlessly. It takes special pieces of their journey together and tells these bits at the perfect pace. The world Naughty Dog created is beautiful, yet depressing. The struggles and emotional hits the characters take in this dog-eat-dog world are hidden under the the green, bright, beautiful streets and woods. The Last of Us only has 2 issues; One being that the gameplay becomes bland at points. So much that you might be relieved when it's time for a cutscene. The other is very average AI. The Last of Us, for me, not only defined this generation of video games, but is the culmination of everything video games have been building towards for the past 40+ years. All of that said, the fact that the gameplay got bland in a video GAME stops it from being a 10 for me. Expand
  89. Jun 29, 2013
    There are lots of games that features zombies/infected or post apocalyptic enviroments, yet Naughty Dog has managed to push what is possible with the theme to show that an excellent story and fantastic cast of characters is just as important as gameplay and graphics. With The Last of Us, Naughty Dog has managed to combine all the important aspect that makes a game great to become a masterpiece that not only is one of the best games of this year, it may be the best game from this generation, even surpassing Naughty Dog's own Uncharted 2. You play as Joel, a survivor of a fungus pandemic. One of the best parts of the game is the interaction between Joel and Ellie as they travel across the post apocalyptic US. Joel is a harden survivor, who have already been through both before and after the pandemic, while Ellie was born into this harsh enviroment. This creates some great interactions between the character and Ellie, pushing the story forward. In this brutal enviroment, there is no right or wrong. Everything the survivors do are just trying to survive. The graphics in the game are amazing, with enviroments filled with details everywhere. Its amazing how Naughty Dog is able to improve the graphics from the Uncharted series and push it even further, squeezing every drop of power available from the PS3, making it one of the best looking game in this console generation. From the brutal winter to the overgrown buildings, the attention to detail really makes you feel immersed into the world of the game. The gameplay is also great, making you feel as if you are really fighting for survival. Ammo isnt found very often, making you feel that every shots is important. Melee is almost the same as the Uncharted series, only harder. Enemies do fight back when you engage in melee combat with them, unlike Uncharted 3 where the enemies only sometimes do a reversal and all you have to do is press another button. The sound is also excellent, with Gustavo Santaolalla's amazing soundtrack really puts you into the mood of the game. Still, Naughty Dog knows when to let nature take over the music, creating a perfect mix of musics and sound. Gunshots are loud and powerful, making even a simple pistol round feels powerful. Punches make you feel as if you are really punching and using melee weapons make the hits feel even more powerful and devastating.

If you are still thinking about buying this game, just buy it and enjoy this masterpiece.
  90. Jun 23, 2013
    Uncharted meets The Walking Dead meets The Road. The Last of Us is a good game, but it is one undeserving of the 10/10 scores it's been getting. I read it being described as "The Citizen Kane of videogames"; if this is the best we can expect, the future does indeed look mediocre. Nothing revolutionary here. Writing is really good, the story is not original but it's very well delivered, it makes you feel a strong connection to the main characters, voice acting is stunning and I've fallen in love with the amazing soundtrack. If it were a film, I'd have liked it more, but it's supposed to be a game, and that's where problems begin: repetitive, very repetitive, very very repetitive Uncharted-style gameplay (shoot, explore, shoot some more... whenever you see cover, you know what's about to come; once you're done with the enemies in the area, you know nobody will show up for a while and then it's the time to check every corner for a million pointless collectibles or to complete once again one of the three available puzzles without being disturbed), glitches and bugs that break the immersion in the most painful ways, stupid IA and linear progression. It's not a bad game, but it's far from the masterpiece hype has made us believe it to be Expand
  91. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is incredible. Best game of this generation in my opinion. The story and character development are unparalleled. There is not a single negative thing I can say about this game.
  92. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us review:

Story: 10/10 A great story indeed, keep me hooked till the end, the characters are deep and the more they develop in the story you will find yourself really caring for their fate. A truly masterpiece of Survival Horror/Post Apocaliptic World.

Visual: 10/10 I have never seen a game in ps3 (or any console) that looked better that this one, the light effects, the
    detail in character modeling and the beautiful surrounding's Cities reclaimed by nature feels so alive) I just give this game MY 10+1 in this department.

Gameplay: 7/10 Here is where am going to punish The Last of Us. The gameplay in fact is a good one, you will find so much to do in The Last of Us (crafting weapons, getting upgrades) the fight's whit button smash/panic scene's feel's great and the combat systems is what you can spect meele weapons are easy to use but firearms will requiere more practice and that is good, because in RL shooting a gun/rifle is not as easy as most shooters/fps want to make us belive) Walking/running/climbing/swimming fells so natural and so real BUT there are some BIG issues whit the game mechanics. The most shocking/disappointing one is the cover/stealth system. I find myself many times not being discovered by enemy's even when my dumb AI partner walked in front of the enemy. My AI parner talking to me/other guy in a zone where there are sound sensitive enemies lurking around and amazingly they dont discover us if your character makes noise/walk in front of an enemy that is a different story). So this is a big big... no no no HUGE problem in the stealth game mechanics/partner AI system that must be solved right away by Naugty Dog.

Replay: 8/10 It's almost imposible to max upgrade your weapons/abilities in one gameplay, so this add replayability to The Last of Us, also the beautiful enviroments of the game/amazing story really invite us to take our controller and play again this title in the New Game+ mode.

Music/Voice Acting: 10/10 The voice acting in The Last of Us is simply amazing!!! You can really sense the mood/fellings of the characters and the agony/joy/sadness/etc they go through.

Overall: 9/10 A must have if u love deep story/rich characters/survival horror/uncharted games. A true contestant to Game of The Year 2013 that only need to tune up some game mechanics to be THE GAME.
  93. Jun 18, 2013
    This is seriously the best game I have ever played. I have never wanted to play a single player story like I did with this game, on top of that the in depth upgrading system was amazing. What also amazed me was that this game had the best graphics I have ever seen in a game and this is on the PS3 and we have the PS4 coming in the fall!
  94. Jul 31, 2013
    I'm probably not that far into the game. I'm only in Lincoln High School trying to fight the first big boss. I can tell this game is going to be one I'll probably finish but already I know it's not the TEN everyone keeps raving about. OK, I'm into the main two characters, I feel the emotional bond growing, that's cool. But the zombie fighting is just frustrating and unrewarding. I finally have a shotgun and thank goodness because the pistols barely even stun anything and your lead pipes break after about eight hits. OK, since when does a lead pipe break precisely after eight hits? It's a lead pipe for crying out loud. You can slam it against concrete a million times and it wouldn't break. And you can't aim your weapons worth crap. This guy, for twenty years, has been surviving the zombie apocalypse and he still can't aim a stupid rifle, waving it all over the place as crazed zombies straight out of 28 Days Later come rushing at him? Really? And even with the shotgun, which you don't need to aim precisely, what does that help when five of them are rushing at you from all angles? So you fight, you die, you start over, you die, you start over, you die, and so forth until you are finally lucky enough to pick them all off not by any real strategy mind you, just because you got a little lucky. The scavenging is pretty boring. The workbenches are so far and few in-between it's pathetic. The crawling through hallways, climbing up ladders, running across planks gets old pretty quickly. And everything is so dark. You have to use your flashlight at least half the time and that actually gets a bit nauseating as if your swirling around on a carnival ride. So, although the graphics are way cool, and the characters are likeable, and the plot is engaging even if it's derivative, there's just too much senseless wandering around, searching for the limited scavenger items available, and extremely frustrating battles with things that will tear your neck out while you're trying to reload your stupid gun or switch guns which takes like ten seconds or heal which takes several seconds and the controls are so complicated it's extremely difficult to remember what buttons you are suppose to be pressing while a swarm of crazed zombies are rushing at you from all sides. This game is good but it does have a lot of flaws. Expand
  95. Jul 20, 2013
    Astonishing. Masterpiece. Those are few of the many words that can be used to describe this amazing work of art that this game really is. It takes you to a story that is extremely immersive, deeply emotional, and professionally written, describing the path that Joel and Ellie go throughout the entire game.

That all isn't enough to cover how amazing the story is, going hand to hand with
    the beautiful scenarios, stunning engine and great AI, both for Ellie and for the enemies. Also keeping in mind that the multiplayer is at some points wonderfully unique and even addictive, it's the story that shines the most, and makes this game a perfect 10, and a must buy for all Playstation fans. Expand
  96. Feb 10, 2014
    Еще с того самого E3 12 я ждал эту игру, даже она стала поводом купить PS3. В целом, геймплей и атмосфера хороши, сюжетная завязка тоже затягивает, такие игры могут тягаться с произведениями литературы. Но концовка не понравилась, нет, она конечно добротная, но прямо говорит что ждите продолжения (вероятно на PS4), которую я брать не буду.
  97. Jun 24, 2013
    I have finished the game earlier this week, since then I had some time to reflect about it.

After getting over my „fanboism“, cause I have been awaiting this game for quite a while, to look at it from a more neutral perspective, I must say that “The Last Of Us” is OVERRATED!

Now bear with me, Im not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very
    beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where im coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. It just seems overall like it was designed for the casual gamer, so parents and infants could easily beat it. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of glichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have ever witnessed in a videogame, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Videogames where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of videogames is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes videogames, or art in general, I didn't mean to sound too negative about it I just wanted to express why I think gamesites giving it 10 out of 10s is complete
  98. Jul 18, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoying this game.

The multiplayer uses single player mechanics very well and being more of a multiplayer fan i enjoyed this style of multiplayer mechanics than other know style multiplayer games.
  99. pxl
    Aug 27, 2013
    A fantastic and immersing story that kept me on my toes till the very end, the ending was great and evoked emotion and honestly, just made me think what I would do in a similar situation. Thank you Naughty Dog, you made my childhood with Crash Bandicoot and now that I'm 18, you once again just create a masterpiece.
  100. Jul 13, 2013
    The Last of Us is honestly (with the Walking Dead game) the best game i have ever played. Every single thing about this game is perfect.The gameplay, the emotional story, the incredible voice and physical acting, the music, it never gets boring, and its compelling, exciting, emotional, sad, fun and a masterpiece of gaming. Please, for the love of game lovers, play this game. if Metacritic would let me, i would give this game an 11! Expand
  101. Jun 24, 2013
    The Last Of Us is an "epic" game with the whole meaning of the word. The storyline is pretty interesting, the enviroment is completely attached to the game story and the graphics are enchanting. But what makes the big difference to this game is the emotions that it provides you with while playing. The rare emotional relation between the two characters as well as between YOU and the characters is pretty unique.Finally, in this apocalyptic enviroment, the existence of many different choices to make to survive is making this game "perfect". Good job NaughtyDog.... a MUST game to have in your collection! Collapse

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]