• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 26, 2013
    There was no limit to my amazement throughout the game, the character development was astonishing, Joel evolving from the heartless smuggler to the compassionate yet still strong father figure in Ellie’s live. Now Ellie, there is hardly any words to describe how she transformed throughout the game!!! She starts as the naive 14 year old with no real knowledge of the world before theThere was no limit to my amazement throughout the game, the character development was astonishing, Joel evolving from the heartless smuggler to the compassionate yet still strong father figure in Ellie’s live. Now Ellie, there is hardly any words to describe how she transformed throughout the game!!! She starts as the naive 14 year old with no real knowledge of the world before the infected, while traversing the world beyond the QZ, she learns, experiences miracles and grows; closer to the end of her journey we she how she has changed to the strong and steadfast character we have grown to love!
    The story has amazing twists and turn, graphics are phenomenal and the enemies can instill fear into the greatest of men. The story is original and mind blowing with no real relation to prior “end of the world games” The Last of Us has found its way on its own two feet!
    I haven’t been so frightened in a game since the first time I attempted alone in the dark on playstation 1 when I was a whopping 7 years old.

Put simply it is the greatest game developed for the past century!
  2. Jul 11, 2013
    Best game ever created.
    I've never attached any book/movie/video game character as I did with ellie and joel.
    A freaking masterpiece and a console seller.
  3. Jun 30, 2014
    I ended up playing Last of Us after all of the hype said it was an amazing game. When I started to play TLOU I was highly disappointed. All the review sites went on about the emotion and how that made the game. I felt no emotion from the boring lifeless, robotic characters.

I played through the first level which is so dull and boring. You just walk around and run a way from the infected people. Nothing amazing what so ever which a clunky character.

As you progress you get to an area where you have to move around some planks. I was already bored up till this point and then that just intensified the boredom.

The character models in Last of Us look nice but the land scape and the cities look dated. Have a look at the grass around the cities. It has no texture.

The combat is just boring basic third person shooting with dumb enemies. The clickers make it a bit tougher but when you figure out that you should kill the ones that kill you with one attack first. The game becomes very easy.

Avoid TLOU like the plague, I seriously couldn't take any more after three hours in.
  4. Jun 25, 2013
    One of the most moving and evocative games in memory. They break through a lot of clichés that plague gaming, and do so with a raw, gritty, unforgiving storyline. The game is carried by Ellie, and Joel simply serves as a conduit for the unique action and atmosphere of the game. Beautiful, simply put.
  5. Jul 10, 2013
    Solid game, but it is very overrated. There is no variation at all, you enter a room and there's either zombies or humans. That is the whole game. Not to mention that the AI is absolutely terrible. I played on hard and they still didn't see me from clear spots. The story is recycled too, I mean, zombies are everywhere, yay.
  6. Jun 25, 2013
    Okay, this is the final review update. There is stuff mentoned some pricks may consider a minor spoilers.

After the prologue, where you can already drool over borderline next-gen graphics, game slows to a crawl and stays there for some 4-5 hours about 1/4 of the whole game. During that time, not much interesting happens, you'll just learn about the game mechanics and weird and somewhat clunky control scheme.

You may also notice a bunch of bugs and graphical glitches the game has quite a lot of those, especially when compared to Uncharted games.

Eventually you'll meet the guy named Bill and things will slowly get better. You'll start to get the hang of stealth and combat and, more importantly, the story of Joel and Ellie will start grow on you. To be honest, caring about the main characters is the main drive of the whole game, because while stealth will get good, it never quite gets great and shooting on its own felt kinda crappy all the way till the end.

The resulting mix of stealth and action does however feel very natural and not being for various AI cheats, The Last of Us would have passed for a great stealth game. But the AI cheats and that kinda undermines your efforts to stay hidden. Enemies sometims just start walking towards you for no reason, or some script will send them your way, or reinforcements will come from who knows where, already aware of your position, etc. The hearing mechanics that allows you to detect enemies behind obstacles if they are making noise does not work on those in "other areas" and it is not good when "nobody around" turns into "four guys right in front of you" just because you walked through some door or went up the stairs.

AI cheating is probably the problem #1 I have with this game. There are various less important things there, actualy there is quite a lot of them TLoU certainly could use more polish on many fronts but I'd say that only the AI related stuff has serious impact on gamplay. (Ok, maybe some "levels" like hotel or campus could be shorter and the part in the snowstorm was boring pain in the ass.)

Relationship between Joel and Elie is the meat of the story the events through the game are but a way to shape that relationship and the ending, while emotionaly strong, was quite predictable in its conclusion.

At first I thought TLoU is a failed game that I Am Alive is a better choice with similiar atmosphere. But nah, the strengths of The Last of Us lie elsewhere. You have to endure some mediocore gameplay to get to the good stuff, but in the end it was worth it. It won't be a GOTY for me, but it is definitely up there.
  7. Jul 5, 2013
    I know that most people are judging the game by it's story, and I could only judge it by that, i would give the game 100/10. Now, here are categories and my opinions and scores. Story: 10000000/10. Gameplay: 10/10. Atmosphere: 10/10. Graphics: 10/10. Amount of glitches/bugs I encountered: 4. Plus, the AI is pretty dumb at times. Overall, 9.9/10. One of the best games I've ever played.
  8. Apr 15, 2014
    the initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between thethe initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between the characters wasn't interesting to me and the story's pace was to slow to keep me interested. the 3rd person shooting is straight out of the 90's. graphics are alright. Expand
  9. Aug 26, 2013
    The Last of Us is a game that can most accurately be described as Uncharted (with Zombies). It has it's moments, but quickly becomes a repetitive mess of menial tasks that provide you with little to no gratification. The story is it's most redeeming quality, but even that feels a bit overdone. But hey, zombies. They're everyone's favorite cliche nowadays.
  10. Sep 19, 2013
    this game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremelythis game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremely forgiving there is various checkpoints and just does not feel like a infected invasion also the Stealth like gameplay does not help this game the multiplayer surprisingly is great but the amount of lag is just unbearable also you need a online pass for it does not make it any better also the shooting in this game is kind of odd feeling when Joel shakes the reticle when he shoots his gun this game might be for you if you into the SiFi feeling video but for me its just okay Expand
  11. Oct 11, 2013
    I give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of mercilessI give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of merciless slaughter you got to watch a beautiful cutscene...Only for it to lead into another sequence of merciless slaughter. Rinse and repeat for 15 hours and that's 'The Last of Us."

Remove all those shooting sequences, what are you left with? A movie. If I wanted to watch movie I'd go to my local theater and pay 12 bucks as opposed to 60. "The Last of Us" lacks all the things needed to make it a videogame.

There's a one button crafting system that relies on the same three ingredients. That's only other game mechanic besides walking and shooting. (Oh and sometimes hiding and shooting.) The only puzzles in the game relied on floating pallets and witty banter. Sometimes moving a plank or two.

When I saw countless "10/10" scores, I was expecting something groundbreaking. I wanted to be as wowed as everybody else, I really did. But as the credits rolled, I had to search for a reason to like the game; and didn't come up with anything. I didn't feel rewarded for completing the game whatsoever.

For those curious, I played the game on easy because I feel that a good game should stand up on its own, regardless of the difficulty of the enemies.
  12. Nov 6, 2013
    Moving story, amazing soundtrack, fantastic graphics and a real feel for what your characters are going through. Naughty Dog have delivered the very best for PS3. A must have!
  13. Aug 23, 2013
    I was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earnsI was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earns your passion. The music, the graphics, the sound are mind-blowing. Every goddamn thing about this game screams perfection. Naughty Dog stepped away from their cartoonish Uncharted and Jak & Daxter and got my heart pumped and passion burning bright red. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!! Either you go stealth or combat, it works out beautifully. It is one of the greatest games ever. Plain and simple. Those who disagree are completely blind or have not yet experienced the pure awesomeness of this game. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. Major replay value Expand
  14. Jul 5, 2013
    Naughty Dog, Inc. through The Last of Us created a world where every punch hurts like hell, every bullet counts and most amazingly, every moment is a blessing because unlike most games, it shows the joys of being alive and how easily one can lose it in a bat of an eye.

The development of the bond between the two main characters Joel and Ellie was realistic that by the end of the game I knew them more than I know my own goddamn family. This is survival genre at it's finest, decisions are as grey as it can be and most of the time you aren't left with much of a choice leading you to flip a coin. It's a harsh, brutal outlook of the world where the only thing that makes you keep going is the simple fact that you aren't alone in this.

The story is not about reaching the final objective, but the journey through which how two strangers with two very different backgrounds move away from constantly looking for the other to backstab to slowly build a father-daughter relationship. In the end, players will ask what is the difference between the right thing to do and something which 'feels right'.

Beautiful game, great visuals, fantastic characters and a fantastically realized harsh but authentic world makes the Last of Us not only the best game I've ever played, but also I never invested so much emotions in any form of entertainment media. It is a masterpiece.

15. Jul 2, 2013
    The saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to beThe saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to be the game that defines the PS3. It's extraordinary!! Any PS3 owner who doesn't own this doesn't deserve to have the console. It's a masterpiece from start to finish. The game follows the journey of Joel and Ellie, who travel across a post-apocalyptic America in 2033 following the outbreak of a mutant cordyceps as they seek The Fireflies, a resistance group who believe Ellie has the cure to save the world. The story is captivating and an emotional tour-de-force throughout. Never has a game touched me so much as this. Its full of emotional highs and lows where every decision has a consequence as you battle zombie-like infected mutants, bandits and cannibals as you battle across a savaged USA. The setting is actually stunning. The post-apocalyptic America is mesmerising and so authentic. Naughty Dog really have raised the bar once again. The scenery is beautiful. And graphically, this is as good as it gets. It's frightening to think what Naughty Dog will have instore with next gen. The gameplay is near flawless. Much like Uncharted but more free flowing. The environments really play a vital part and the stealth aspect was a splendid inclusion. It really makes you as the gamer in charge of the method you wish to complete the game because enemies react differently depending on your approach. Your also able to craft weapons during the game which again is genius! The story is where The Last of Us is truly exceptional. It's such a rewarding and exhilarating experience. Right from the tragic beginning to the contentious ending. It's an unforgettable game The journey and the experience alone are awesome. You feel part of Joel and Ellie's story. And there relationship is at the heart of the story. It blossoms beautifully throughout. In conclusion this could well be the ultimate game available. In terms of an all round package, it's unmissable. It showcases exactly what the PS3 does best. And at it's very best. The Last of Us is not only n imperative purchase for any PS3 owner but the must have game of the year! Expand
  16. dz9
    Jun 24, 2013
    To start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice actingTo start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice acting and motion capturing combined with the atmosphere make this game a visual delicacy. The gameplay is a simple and familiar one (I can understand the people that can not bare this game because of the familiar stealth), effective and tense in parts, but hair-pulling and repetitive in others. You pretty much have to play stealth for the majority of your time playing TLoU, fighting your way past zombie-inspired monsters and your fellow human survivors. The stealth is very simple but overall effective, however when the game gives you the objective to clear all enemies in a given area, it makes the game feel too "video game-y" and breaks the immersion it tries so desperately to set up. Also breaking the immersion is the awful Ai. For your allies, too often do they get in your way or frantically and aimlessly running in plain sight of the enemy without even somehow being spotted. For your enemies, the lack of variety of the zombies make getting through them extremely repetitious and the AI for the human foes range from Super Sight, eyes in the back of their head, and unbelievable stupidity. The human AI is never consistent and too often will your carefully thought out stealth streak be interrupted by the unbearable AI. The crafting system is a great thought and raises the tense moments of combat even more due to the live action inventory mechanic, only gripe regarding it is the fact is that I never felt constricted to craft items which I should feel in an apocalyptic horror game, because although the ammo felt balanced right, the supplies to make molotovs, nailbombs, and health packs came all too in abundance. The story although not outstanding, is workable, it gets you from point A to point B effectively while coming up with a few cool ideas along the way. The best part of the story is the interactions between the characters you'll meet, seeing them evolve as characters and grow before the player's eyes is a narrative treat.
    In the End: The Last of Us sports a decent story, a great and believable cast of characters, outstanding visuals, but lacks depth and consistency in the gameplay especially with in the AI department.
    The Last of Us 7.8/10
  17. Jun 29, 2013
    This is the best gaming experience of this generation. If you haven't played or beaten The Last of Us, what are you waiting for. I can't even say anything, it's just brilliant all over it.
  18. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly wellOne of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly well developed characters and best cut scenes seen on the ps3 to date! Expand
  19. Aug 19, 2013
    Bitter sweet. Fantastic game and the plot accurately depicts how a situation such as this would conclude. Hey besides the phenomenal story there's a FPS mode online. That's pretty fun. Reminds me of Gears of War. Overall not the best game in the world, but it was up there. 9.5/10
  20. Aug 1, 2013
    The game of my life! That is it! The best game I ever played. Great history, amazing graphics, wonderfull setting and a nice gameplay. I did not tried multiplayer yet, but singleplayer is perfect!
  21. Aug 8, 2013
    Overall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the meleeOverall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the melee weapons have limited uses. Does an iron pipe rally fall apart the 6th time you hit a zombie with it? The second is ammo. All your human enemies that are armed with ranged weapons will fire ammo like its going out of fashion. You will struggle to find every bullet. If you defeat a human enemy who has being firing continuously at you, you may find 2 or 3 bullets as loot IF you're lucky. So how come everyone has buckets of ammo except you? And where does it vanish to when they die? Finally if you find the M16 assault rifle dont bother with it as its ludicrously undepowered compared to every other gun. Those are small points, but compared to, say skyrim, where NPCs carry the loot they carry into battle the one sided ammo bias does break the immersion. Expand
  22. Feb 18, 2014
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    Absolutely not "overrated" (which is a word thrown around all too often lately).
    The part that shines is the narrative, the characters, the dialogue, the environment, etc. The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil.
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil. Everything is done right. Controls are great.
    If you don't care about those qualities or the gameplay genre, play something else. If you do play this, do the world a favor and don't rate it because it'd be like a person with no taste buds rating classy cuisine.
  23. Oct 17, 2013
    Purchased GTA v and Last of Us together in a bundle. Played GTA for first two days and loved it. then thought I would give Last of Us a quick go. Two weeks later and it's been the only game I have played, in fact it's the most amazing game I have played on the PS3 since launch. This is the first game I have ever bothered to watch the cut scenes, it's just so compelling, like watching aPurchased GTA v and Last of Us together in a bundle. Played GTA for first two days and loved it. then thought I would give Last of Us a quick go. Two weeks later and it's been the only game I have played, in fact it's the most amazing game I have played on the PS3 since launch. This is the first game I have ever bothered to watch the cut scenes, it's just so compelling, like watching a good movie you can interact with.

Ok so there are some minor niggles, combat could be better and sometimes you can spend ages trying to find a way past something only to find you have to be in an exact position before you see the little green triangle.

However, absolutely love the game, and the graphics can be breathtaking. How they did all this on a PS3 is beyond me, just makes me imagine what they will do with the PS4
  24. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that didThis game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that did happen, with a small glance, a person with a brain can realize that joel is replacing his daughter with ellie, when joel solely glances at something, and that is another amazing part of the game. it is like a movie, they don't have to use words to get the point across, their eyes talk a lot, which is amazing for a game. to the people complaining about graphics, who gives a the game is beautiful, with an amazing story, graphics don't matter, maybe i am biased because i grew up with a colecovision, but the graphics are good enough to see everything in great detail. Finally, the combat is clunky and annoying at times, but it is like that for a reason, this game is not call of duty, the combat is not made to shoot at most parts, shooting (most of the time) is a punishment for not remaining stealthy, anyway you can fix the weapon sway with upgrades.
    Buy it or not, you should buy it, once you start playing the game, it would be hard to let go of it. It is addictive!!!
  25. Jun 27, 2013
    I have decided to wait a little bit before reviewing this game, so that I can let the hype and expectations settle before they cloud my judgement in an early review. However, my opinions of this game have not changed since the first second I played it, and that is that this game is a masterpiece. This game comes as something of a swam song from Naughty Dog on the PS3, a special game toI have decided to wait a little bit before reviewing this game, so that I can let the hype and expectations settle before they cloud my judgement in an early review. However, my opinions of this game have not changed since the first second I played it, and that is that this game is a masterpiece. This game comes as something of a swam song from Naughty Dog on the PS3, a special game to kick off the PS4 and begin to close out the PS3 era, much akin to Sony Santa Monica's God of War 2.

For the record, I am not going to talk about the multiplayer, which I've heard is fantastic, but never played and I don't really think that is what the game is about.

Something you will notice off the bat are the very high production values. There is a great original score, talented voice acting, and top notch graphics and animations in this game. However, all of that would not begin to matter if the game did not come through in the gameplay and story department. Lucky for us, it does.

You play as Joel, a hardened man riddled with grief from a tragic event 20 years before the story occurs. Through some *spoiler-free* circumstances, he is charged with transporting a young girl, Ellie, across a fungus-ravaged United States. The story is really what drives this game home, and is what you will remember it for. There is a range of feelings that you will get from this game, from sadness and happiness to even anger. This is the game that people will be talking about for years to come, and most of that is due to it's awesome story.

Now, this would all be for nothing if it didn't have enjoyable gameplay, something The Last of Us also delivers on. You control Joel for most of the game. Stealth plays a major role and while it isn't technically a necessity, if you want some ammo saved for the more difficult encounters, you will need to keep the noise down. Having such sheer numbers of enemies to face means that the tension really builds, especially with Clicker and Bloater Infected enemies, there is an undeniable tension that you will feel, because one wrong step can mean brutal death at the hands of these beasts. You can turn the tables back in your favour with an awesome crafting system, which lets you create tools of both stealth and war. Create a smoke bomb to stun human enemies while you go in for the takedown, create a health kit to heal yourself, or upgrade your weapon to one-hit kill.

All of this comes together in an excellent package, which not only happens to be the best Playstation 3 exclusive, but joins the conversation for best of the generation.
  26. Jul 19, 2013
    The best such game I've every played. Overall, its more of a story than a game experience
    Everything is pretty linear, but that's OK because the point is to get through the story
    The game elements are just spice tasty spice
    The detail to attention is phenomenal as per other ND titles
    Gripping. Never had a game effect me quite this way
  27. Sep 27, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feelsNaughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feels repetitive. The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story. Expand
  28. Jun 21, 2013
    There are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is theThere are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is the relationships between main and supporting characters. Ellie and Joel have great chemistry, I mean GREAT chemistry. The graphics are also incredible, not suprising coming from the company that got past the steep learning curve of ps3 specs. Overall, a game with not the best gameplay, but an amazing cast and story. Expand
  29. Jun 26, 2013
    I really don't have words to describe how amazing this game is & how many times I stop playing wondering what the GODS from Naughty Dog did, how they create this & that & how amazing the visuals is, the game continue to surprise me in an unbelievable way again & again from start to finish the creativity of the devs & the maturity of the story set a whole new standard for a game of thisI really don't have words to describe how amazing this game is & how many times I stop playing wondering what the GODS from Naughty Dog did, how they create this & that & how amazing the visuals is, the game continue to surprise me in an unbelievable way again & again from start to finish the creativity of the devs & the maturity of the story set a whole new standard for a game of this generation & for video games over all, no reason to say more other than this is now for me the best exclusive on PS3 my previous one was MGS4 but that game is pure magic pure art so TLOU now won that place in my heart, every PS3 owner must play this MASTERPIECE it will be for sure an unforgettable experience. Expand
  30. Sep 12, 2013
    Right after finishing the game, I started questioning myself: If this that I've played is called "Game", Then what the hell I've been playing for the last 10 years????
  31. Jul 9, 2013
    This game is incredible. Best game of this generation in my opinion. The story and character development are unparalleled. There is not a single negative thing I can say about this game.
  32. Jun 24, 2013
    The Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. GraphicallyThe Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. Graphically this game looks fantastic, it's probably the best looking game on the PS3 to date. Despite some minor bugs and glitches, that doesn't even ruin the experience. This single-player story of this game would make you want to replay it more than once. But the The Last of Us has more to offer and that is multiplayer. Honestly, the game would still be perfect without multiplayer, but that's not the case here. This multiplayer is unique and requires you to have a different approach on winning. It is very tactical, very fun with friends and unique. The only 2 problems i have with multiplayer is that it lacks map content and game modes. It has a fine number of maps (7) and only 2 game modes. But it has already been confirmed that there will be more multiplayer and single-player content on the way. This game is the best game i ever played in my entire life, i would recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  33. Jul 2, 2013
    OK... This ga... Oh god. I'm so overwhelmed right now with this game
    right now. This game is like a delicious meal. When it ends you want so
    bad to have more of it but in some other way you are the most satisfied human being in the planet. The graphics are so amazing I can't even digest it. The story is so well done that I was left teary. And thinking about the ending is
    OK... This ga... Oh god. I'm so overwhelmed right now with this game
    right now. This game is like a delicious meal. When it ends you want so
    bad to have more of it but in some other way you are the most satisfied
    human being in the planet.

The graphics are so amazing I can't even digest it. The story is so
    well done that I was left teary. And thinking about the ending is
    surprisingly just as deep as analyzing a good movie. I'm gonna talk
    about the ending later so keep on with me (haha). Where to start... OK.

This game tells the story of a man with a mission. He has to go across
    a post-apocalyptic America to deliver a little girl to a rebel group of
    survivors. As I came aware that it was involving a rebel group holding
    against the government I was worried. I said to myself "Oh, this is so
    cliché!". But I was wrong. And I have to mention this was just a
    meaningless worry still having in my mind the amazing prologue that I
    just witnessed. The setting the gameplay and the execution of what
    envelopes is superb in the prologue and in the whole game in general.

The game is divided by seasons (I know, it's weird but awesome). and
    every season ends with something big. My favorite I think might be
    winter but it's hard to pick one because they all are amazing! But I'm
    just gonna go with winter now. The pacing and the way they are told and
    experienced are awesome.

Now... the most gamers were worried about...! The gameplay. Let me say
    this. This game... has the most fluid and satisfying gameplay that I
    have ever experienced. I was going to add intense up there but some
    things (Resident Evil) can't be topped. The way the gameplay combines
    with the atmosphere and story is done masterfully. You have to
    carefully walk through dark hallways and smartly plan what to waste and
    what to spare. The brutality of the combat also makes it engaging and
    sometimes disturbing. There was good variety in the enemies and very
    few and minimal glitches that I encountered.

OK, now let's get into the graphics. These are easily the best graphics
    that I have seen on a console. They are smooth, detailed and very
    beautiful. There were a few scenes with animals in them and they are
    jaw dropping. (Yes, even the rabbit.)Oh and the lighting. Haha man the
    lighting. The shadows the reflections and the beautifully animated
    dynamic lighting make this game shine. (No pun intended)

The cherry on top of all of this must be the ending. I understand that
    some didn't like it because of it's abruptness but for me it was deep,
    dark and let's say, real! I spent easily a day thinking and analyzing
    these characters (specially Joel at the end) to really understand this
    character complex ending! I mean, what game does this! (except for
    Bioshock Infinite).

This game is a masterpiece of our time. Everyone must experience it and
    it should be taken from now on as a reference to what the gaming industry is capable of and how it has already reached the heights of film depth and quality. Thanks for reading! Have a good day!
  34. Jun 23, 2013
    Don't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the storyDon't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the story in this game does could have easily been done in a movie. As for the gameplay, while it was satifisying to kill enemies, it got really repetitive after awhile. Overall, The Last of Us was decent, but I would like to play the version they showed at E3 2012, which looks much better. Expand
  35. Feb 17, 2014
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + It has one of the best stories ever told in videogame history, using not only cutscenes to tell the story, but gameplay as well, with in-game main and side conversations that truly make this game outstand. Incredible character development, with every single character adding something to the story. The best looking game of the generation with unbelievable lighting, colour palette and textures. Strong gameplay with a great and simple crafting system. Top notch audio design. Incredible music by Gustavo Santaolalla which developers used in the most appropriate moment, throughout the whole game. The multiplayer not only fits perfectly with the tone of the singleplayer experience, but also it is a hell of a fun to play and the only way you'll get higher levels will be by your skill in the game, and not the equipment you carry. Framerate rarely drops. I only experienced 3 or 4 technical glitches/bugs during my 3+ playthroughs. Though many complain, not letting the enemy AI find or notice Ellie is the best decission in terms of gameplay, though it can be a little game breaker. Ally AI is helpful, unlike most games.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    - Enemy AI can be either too dumb or way to intelligent. Trophy list makes you replay the game at the very least 3 times if you want to get the platinum.
    Final thoughts and score:
    The Last of Us is the highest user rated game of the generation, and not for nothing. It achieves one of the best linear experiences with a really deep, touching and emotionall story that will stick within your mind weeks after beating it.
    Average Score: 10/10
  36. Jun 26, 2013
    I'd give this gaming experience an "11" if it were possible. I just completed this remarkable journey, and as I listened to the music as the credits rolled, the emotional, gut wrenching toll on my psyche refused to dissipate. Scenes of beauty and hope balanced the dismal, dark world Joel and Ellie sojourned. I consider myself fortunate to have played what is more than just a game.I'd give this gaming experience an "11" if it were possible. I just completed this remarkable journey, and as I listened to the music as the credits rolled, the emotional, gut wrenching toll on my psyche refused to dissipate. Scenes of beauty and hope balanced the dismal, dark world Joel and Ellie sojourned. I consider myself fortunate to have played what is more than just a game. This is an amazing venture for which words of praise can never do it justice enough. Expand
  37. Jun 22, 2013
    The only thing you need to know about this game, is that this game is not like any other game.
    Because this game, will most definitely become one of the best games you will ever play.
  38. Jun 24, 2013
    Naughty Dog has been a great studio behind every one of their games. From Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and through their Uncharted series... and now the Last of Us. I'll be honest, the game is not perfect like many may claim, but what it does do, it does very well. It puts you on edge and suspense in a creepy yet beautiful future. The gameplay isn't quick like most games, but slow,Naughty Dog has been a great studio behind every one of their games. From Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and through their Uncharted series... and now the Last of Us. I'll be honest, the game is not perfect like many may claim, but what it does do, it does very well. It puts you on edge and suspense in a creepy yet beautiful future. The gameplay isn't quick like most games, but slow, allowing you to evaluate each opportunity and how to approach it. And even the most well thought out plans will fail, and when they do all hell breaks lose. The acting is top notch, the graphics are pushing the last of what the PS3 has to offer, and the length of the campaign will make you feel like its a long journey... I've run into some graphical glitches, and the slow gameplay is hard to adapt to since I am used to the faster paced Uncharted's they've made, but what it does is different from most games, and that is why it shines above them. Overall, I'd say I still prefer their Uncharted series, due to the fact that I like the action and humor and walk away from those games feeling good like an action movie should. All the while when playing the Last of Us, I find myself having to take breaks due to it's emotional and stressful suspenseful nature. But that is what they were going for, and damn did they do it well. 8/10 only cuz Uncharted 2 gets a 9/10 on my list, and that is the best game I've ever played. And there's no such thing as a 10/10... yet. Expand
  39. Jun 26, 2013
    The Last Of US is one of those rare games that come out every now and then. It is a game so immersive and emotional it will actually make you care about the protagonists. The emotion this game can bring out in the player is astonishing. The Last Of Us is excellent in every major way. All the minor details really add to the amazing atmosphere that the game accomplishes. I found myself neverThe Last Of US is one of those rare games that come out every now and then. It is a game so immersive and emotional it will actually make you care about the protagonists. The emotion this game can bring out in the player is astonishing. The Last Of Us is excellent in every major way. All the minor details really add to the amazing atmosphere that the game accomplishes. I found myself never wanting to put it down and really investing myself in the main characters. The game does have minuscule issues, but the fantastic storyline more then makes up for any negatives. Expand
  40. Jun 27, 2013
    This game is almost immediately evocative of works such as The Road, and the lesser-known Earth Abides, with strong hints of "I Am Legend". It plays like Uncharted, meets Fallout, meets the original Resident Evil.

What I'm going to cover first is the centerpiece of the game, the characters. The highly detailed character graphics, intricate facial animations, and sincere voice acting set a new high standard for the video game medium all by themselves. These technical aspects, combined with excellent characters that simply ooze verisimilitude, form something truly special. The end of the game in particular made me think that the voice actors must have done a minimum of 1,000 takes to achieve the perfect subtlety they deliver their lines with.

The controls and gunplay are realistic, but not as realistic as the brutal depiction of violence which is so realistic that it's not even fun in the "wee!" sense. This seems to be the entire theme of the game. It is the opposite of a bullet hell shooter but even more frantic. It is, in turns, nerve-wracking and heart-wrenching (if you have any semblance of a soul residing in the dying coals of your heart) the fresh take on "zombies" as presented by the Fungus-controlled Infected such as Clickers, delivers an apt sense of dread and tension. If you think that's a negative, you might want to stick to Zen Pinball 3D. In giving you pleasure while not being pleasant, The Last of Us elevates the medium to new heights; even making me pause and wonder if "game" is the correct word for it, despite the fact that you are given full control and are able to tackle any given situation with great freedom.

From a design perspective, The Last of Us is a well-oiled machine. It makes great strides in eliminating the disconnect between gameplay and story, known as ludonarrative dissonance, almost universally present in any action game that tries to present an unique story. The rules work almost the same in a cutscene as they do when you have control of the characters. Joel cannot be shot in the eye 20 times during the course of playing and be totally fine, and then need a trip to the E.R. when he stubs his toe in a cutscene.

Both my wife and I completed the story in about 18 hours. To give perspective, we don't rush through things, we explore and experiment quite a bit. I was obsessed with what the length of the game would be before I played it, and I now see that this was folly. I like to get a lot of playtime for my 60 dollars, but it would have been a huge disservice to us for Naughty Dog to artificially extend the playtime just for that reason (although you can argue that's what multiplayer is). The game is as long as the story, and any significant changes to what we ended up with would have ruined it. Do not wish for this to be a longer or shorter game. What value The Last of Us does not deliver in Skyrim-esque length, it delivers in sheer quality.

Speaking of multiplayer, I haven't even redeemed my online code yet and there's a chance that I may never (honestly, the story isn't "Campaign Mode", "Story Mode", or "Singleplayer Mode, it's just the game), so all I can say is that I'm intrigued by the playmode where there are no respawns; as it has the potential to alter the ubiquitous "LEEEROOY JENKINS" enthusiasm plaguing most online multiplayer games. Nobody's going to want to do that if it means they have to wait until the next match. The multiplayer mode also includes elements from the actual game, such as crafting, and the current modes center around the concept of survival but do not feature non-human enemies from the game, such as Clickers, or those things that are more deadly than Clickers.

And that, Dear Reader, is the best and most accurate spoiler-free review that you will read for The Last of Us. You need not read any other, especially not those that risibly pan the game just for attention. In fact, you shouldn't even be reading what I'm typing right now, because you should be buying or playing the game.
  41. Jul 2, 2013
    This game is the best game I ever played in my life. There's nothing wrong about it, the story is great!!! Characters facial expressions looks very realistic, gets attach to the characters. The gameplay is great and also very long. Easily top 5 games maybe even top 3. The graphics are amazing! Storyline, the gameplay, the characters. Speechless how great this game turn out to be. TrulyThis game is the best game I ever played in my life. There's nothing wrong about it, the story is great!!! Characters facial expressions looks very realistic, gets attach to the characters. The gameplay is great and also very long. Easily top 5 games maybe even top 3. The graphics are amazing! Storyline, the gameplay, the characters. Speechless how great this game turn out to be. Truly game of the year. Expand
  42. Jul 4, 2013
    My top two favorite games of this gen are The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption, and both are easily up there with the greatest I have ever played. Giving a score a 10/10 doesn't mean it is perfect, but rather it is a complete, quality product that sets a standard for other games to come in that genre, and for me The Last of Us does that and more. I feel justified in spending 60 dollarsMy top two favorite games of this gen are The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption, and both are easily up there with the greatest I have ever played. Giving a score a 10/10 doesn't mean it is perfect, but rather it is a complete, quality product that sets a standard for other games to come in that genre, and for me The Last of Us does that and more. I feel justified in spending 60 dollars on an extremely well made product that I will be playing through again and spending many hours I'm sure on the fantastic multiplayer. With a game that has so much hype and attention there will be much criticism by a lot of people that feel it doesn't deserve all of it, and The Last of Us is not without faults. The friendly A.I. at times was a bit clumsy and could be annoying, but for the most part helped out and was never really a problem. The human enemy A.I. were by no means strategic geniuses but kept me on my toes and moving around for cover. I noticed minor glitches here and there but nothing that ruined the game at all, like getting stuck by a tree and having a hard time moving. The story is fantastic and one of the most well done in any game I have played, and the music adds so much to the dramatic feel without ever being cheesy. The gameplay is tense and a good mix between shootouts and stealth, with the infected it's nice to just slip by them without having to fight. Speaking of the infected, I shouted about 3 or 4 times playing the game when being spotted, accidentally knocking over something you didn't see and hearing them scream and run at you can be disturbing. The feeling you get as you move through the story and characters interact in different ways is strange for a game, it's almost like you're watching real people interact and it can affect you. Some people don't like or understand the ending, but I thought it was extremely human and the decisions Joel has to make would be very hard for anyone, you will see what I mean. The multiplayer is a bit more slow paced and extremely team oriented, you must stick together to succeed! I love it and am fully addicted to it, I like it more than uncharted 3 multiplayer, even though uncharted 3's was great too. I just feel they need more types of multiplayer modes and options, but so far so great. The Last of Us is a hard game at times, if you don't want a challenge you may want to play on easy. Don't miss out on one of the greatest gaming experiences you can have from this gen! Expand
  43. Jul 4, 2013
    STORY: The Last of Us is dark, intense, suspenseful, and at the most unexpected times... it's beautiful. Be warned this is not Uncharted, nor is it a standard zombie apocalypse story. The main narrative follows the relationship between Joel and Ellie, two of the most complex and fleshed-out characters you will ever encounter. From the start you will understand where they are coming fromSTORY: The Last of Us is dark, intense, suspenseful, and at the most unexpected times... it's beautiful. Be warned this is not Uncharted, nor is it a standard zombie apocalypse story. The main narrative follows the relationship between Joel and Ellie, two of the most complex and fleshed-out characters you will ever encounter. From the start you will understand where they are coming from but over the course of the game you will form such a deep and profound connection with them that you will want to play it all over again. At it's core The Last of Us is a tale of survival and is constantly begging questions, tossing around morals and justifying causes, but it never feels forced, they want you to explore this topic and are letting you decide how you feel about it. This game somehow manages to find beauty in even the bleakest of moments, but I'm not talking about visuals yet, I'm talking about the unexpected moments that will make your heart wrench and your eyes water without overwhelming you with giant epiphanies. Bioshock Infinite, a game I also enjoyed, had moments where the plot was too much, where the twists and turns made your head ache, The Last of Us never does that though, instead it plays with your emotions, effectively drawing you deeper into the experience. This story has so many layers and dives into such profound issues that you will continue to gain appreciation. This is where many of the negative jabs come from, from those not mature or ready enough to handle the narrative it offers.

GAMEPLAY: The way you can bash an enemy's face against a desk or blow the head off another survivor is undoubtably brutal and intense. This is definitely not a game for children and can have a strong impact on even the most prepared adult. There was not a life I took in this game that didn't feel real, every kill is felt, and every murder pushes you further on the edge of your couch. Ammo is scarce, as well as the supplies you need to collect to craft weapons, traps, and medical kits, making you feel truly desperate. There is no regenerative health, no ammo crates, no stores to buy upgrades, you must scavenge everything. With most enemy encounters you will have the option to stealthily take out your opponents, attack head-on, or occasionally sneak away. There are 2 basic enemy types, human and infected, human encounters are fierce, brutal, and desperate, while infected encounters are much more subtle, terrifying, and stealthy. What makes the gameplay so amazing though is the balance of everything, you never feel like a portion is too easy or too hard, too stealth-based or too combat-heavy, all of the upgrade systems coincide well and there are few weapons you won't have a need or desire to use.

MULTIPLAYER: There is not a gamer in the world who doesn't get a little annoyed or put off by the fact that some story-heavy games put a focus on multiplayer. However usually multiplayer for games like this are just bland. Games like Tomb Raider, God of War Ascension, Bioshock 2, or even the Uncharted sequels, but The Last of Us just isn't like those. There are only two game modes to play, the one I prefer is called Survivors. It pits two teams of four against each other on a map where crates of supplies are scattered everywhere, they are essential to your survival as they contain scraps and parts used to make weapons and health kits, they are also very necessary because if you die, you die, and you don't re-spawn, you play until one team wins four rounds. It re-envokes that desperate feel I mentioned earlier when talking about the campaign, and to put matters worse your enemies are human, not AI, and they are just-as clever as you. Plus the multiplayer has an overarching meta-game where you are put in charge of a camp of survivors and must continue to provide food for them as your camp grows and as problems occur. The way this integrates with the matches is that parts you collect in matches from crates or players you kill goes towards getting food, plus you will occasionally be given challenges such as killing a certain number of enemies in a match to prevent sickness from breaking out in your clan. The larger your clan gets, the more upgrades to your weapons and character you receive.

And yes everything else I haven't discussed is amazing, the graphics are easily the best of this console generation, the characters you encounter are awesome (TESS!!!), and the subtle, yet epic soundtrack. This is easily my favorite game of this generation and maybe my most favorite of all time, when rating games I never giver perfect scores but because this ranks so high, I can't help but reward a 10 out of 10.
  44. Jul 9, 2013
    Everybody who gives this game less than a 6 only wants to draw attention and try to be original since this game can only have a 6 to 10 grade. It's imposible for you to find so many errors in the game because it is nearly perfect
    - Perfect Gameplay
    - Perfect Story line
    - Perfect Characters
    - Incredible Graphics

Nothing else to say. A Masterpiece from Naughty Dog
    (Wish theres a sequel)
  45. Jul 9, 2013
    The best game for the PS3, and one of the best games out there. It's simple immersion on everything just makes it wonderful. The story of the game is very rich; it's dark, unpredictable and best of all immersing. The game-play itself is one of the best, though it could have been improved at some points, it' easily on of the best. For example, characters don't interrupt you when you'reThe best game for the PS3, and one of the best games out there. It's simple immersion on everything just makes it wonderful. The story of the game is very rich; it's dark, unpredictable and best of all immersing. The game-play itself is one of the best, though it could have been improved at some points, it' easily on of the best. For example, characters don't interrupt you when you're sneaking, or doing that type of stuff. Talking about AI, the AI is not bad, while some might disagree, I think that in combat they act realistically, because when people are in plain combat, they don't think about anything else, that isn't survival. People in combat sometimes lose their head and do something stupid, and I think the game represented that very well in that aspect. So let's go with characters now, the protagonists of the game are deeply made in my opinion; They have a rich back-story, a good past, and the most important thing, a good story in the course of the game. The game also has good scenarios, deepening very much on the details of the maps and in some cases the AI of the people who live on those places. They feel alive. The difficulty of the game varies upon the way you are, because combating a dozen of zombies, is different than just a few of them, which applies for the armed enemies also. It can be very difficult in some places, while it can be a walk in the park in other situations. That's it for the campaign.
    About the multiplayer, we can tell it's a good MP, like a mix of popular shooters, but improved in a lot of ways. The customization you can give to your character isn't the most biggest one, but I won't say it's small, cause it's not. You can customize your "flag" or logo, your clothing, your attributes and your weapons, all of this helping on the actual game-play. And that's it for most of the game, I think if YOU play it, you'll feel the same. This game is worthy of GOTY, and worthy of being remembered.
  46. Jul 26, 2013
    I really don't have much to say but anyone who's reluctant to buy this game should read all the critics reviews. I was blown away by the fact that I was so attached to these characters. Once I finished it I just couldn't get over that mind boggling ending which made me lose sleep at night. A mesmerizing story and it truly bridge the gap between games and cinema. I'm sure we can expectI really don't have much to say but anyone who's reluctant to buy this game should read all the critics reviews. I was blown away by the fact that I was so attached to these characters. Once I finished it I just couldn't get over that mind boggling ending which made me lose sleep at night. A mesmerizing story and it truly bridge the gap between games and cinema. I'm sure we can expect amazing things from ND in the future. I will have my fingers crossed for TLOU 2. Expand
  47. Aug 10, 2013
    The first review I gave this game was an 8. Needless to say, I've changed my score to a 10 now.

There are very, very minor flaws in this game. Every game has them but in The Last of Us they're so minor that they're not even worth mentioning. When you quit nit picking you can truly appreciate a game for what it is, and The Last of Us smacks everything out of the park.
  48. Jul 28, 2013
    Technisch geht auf der PS3 wohl kaum mehr. Allerdings ist es aufkeinen Fall den Hype Wert der um das Spiel gemacht wird. Gutes Spiel aber ab der Hälfte hat man Gameplaytechnisch schon alles gesehen und die Story ist interessant gehalten, beeindruck am Ende aber doch nur ehr mittelmäßig.
  49. Aug 1, 2013
    This is one of the best games i ever played. The story is awesome also the characters are convincingly.
    You really care about joel and ellie. The graphic and the music and every thing else is fantastic.
    I want such games for other consoles so every gamer can play it.
  50. Aug 9, 2013
    I will have to start out by saying that The Last of Us really does make the end of this Playstation 3 generation something to look back on how it started to where it is now. Naughty Dog is the creator of the "Uncharted" series, and also many other big Playstation games. But the reason i bring the "Uncharted" series up is that "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" was made in November 2007...oneI will have to start out by saying that The Last of Us really does make the end of this Playstation 3 generation something to look back on how it started to where it is now. Naughty Dog is the creator of the "Uncharted" series, and also many other big Playstation games. But the reason i bring the "Uncharted" series up is that "Uncharted: Drake's Fortune" was made in November 2007...one year after the PS3 release date in 2006. So if you see how beautiful that game was in 2007 you can see in The Last of Us that Naughty Dog really knows how to push the PS3 to the limits graphics wise. Don't get me wrong, graphics aren't the biggest thing about this game but the game sure does look beautiful and its unique that we get to see one developer at the start of a console's generation and at the end of it. That's not what this is about though, so just take that in as you play this game.
    This game is a masterpiece by its design, story, and game play. When this game was first revealed at E3 with just a teaser trailer I had so much hope for this game based on its post-apocalyptic world also with Naughty Dog as its developer. Well I'm glad I did because the story I think is the best thing about this game because when you play as Joel for the first time in awhile in games you feel like the character, so whatever happens to him good or bad you feel as if its really happening. The game is so emotional you may even forget it's a video game sometimes because it also seems like this summer's best movie at the box office. As for the story, it's amazing but it's also amazing because you don't know what is going to happen and that is exactly why I can not tell you anything about the story. For gameplay this game plays like Uncharted which isn't a bad thing but there are other features in this game Uncharted will never have. There is a crafting system because throughout the game you will pick up items and you will need to use those items to craft weapons and med kits. Also this game has different ways to play. You can be stealthy in some parts of the game, where someone else may run and gun. It depends on how much ammo you were able to come across. For graphics it uses the PS3 to the max, it seems like, on everything possible. For now that is...

Adam
  51. Aug 10, 2013
    This Game is Phenomenal I Loved every Part of this Game though Few Glitches But they never ruined my Fun in the Game from the START and to the END you will get Those "FEELS" and it really will make you think that World is Real Joel Ellie Everyone. I Love This Game i thought about it after Days and Week after completing it and it will stay with me Forever Kudos to Naughty Dog
  52. Aug 17, 2013
    Worst game ever. Not worth playing even if you got it for free. Graphics are too good, it just makes no sense to have something this uncanny in a video game. The story line is too good, I felt uncomfortable being blown away. But worst of all, there is just way too much character development, why would I want to feel this kind of emotional connection to a 14 year old girl? It's just silly.Worst game ever. Not worth playing even if you got it for free. Graphics are too good, it just makes no sense to have something this uncanny in a video game. The story line is too good, I felt uncomfortable being blown away. But worst of all, there is just way too much character development, why would I want to feel this kind of emotional connection to a 14 year old girl? It's just silly. Copy of CoD. Expand
  53. Aug 20, 2013
    The game is the best zombie game I've played The game is simply amazing There are few bad things about it thought Since everyone else is hailing this game i'll point out some of the flaws The Multiplayer can be fun but there are some balance issues. The single player is mostly awesome but there are few sections that can be a bit boring and there are some parts which are impossible toThe game is the best zombie game I've played The game is simply amazing There are few bad things about it thought Since everyone else is hailing this game i'll point out some of the flaws The Multiplayer can be fun but there are some balance issues. The single player is mostly awesome but there are few sections that can be a bit boring and there are some parts which are impossible to not get detected The ending is I'll just shut up than Well no game is flawless so 10 Expand
  54. Aug 22, 2013
    Sorry for my English, I'm from Poland.

A lot of producents thinks "Maybe we give new engine and that game will be the best", No. The Last Of Us have something, what other games never had climate in game. Without story that game will be have 6/10.

IT IS THE BEST GAME FOR PS3 EVER. AND THAT'S ALL.
  55. Sep 4, 2013
    awesome maybe the best game ever made me cry more than ive ever cried in all video games combined and the combat was amazing especially the melee combat always made you on the edge
  56. Dec 18, 2013
    Is the Last of Us a good game? No, it's a fantastic game. Graphics are good, gameplay is good and cinemathics are even better. So why do I rate it a six?
    Because I continue to have new bugs popping up, which is not normal for a game which is out for more than half a year.
    At 50% of the game, I got a black screen that didn't move on after the initial "the last of us" startup screen. After 4 retries and a playstation software update it worked again. At 60% of the game, a cinematic didn't work properly so had to skip it. At 85% of the game new cinematic that didn't work properly and crashed my ps3. After restart I could only get past it after skipping the movie. Shortly after, new cinematic which didn't work and since than after starting up the game it halts at either 0 or 15% of the game being loaded. So now again online to find a fix for it, real bummer cus the game is for the rest superb.
  57. Feb 19, 2014
    10/10 This is my favorite game ever, the game play is stellar, with the crafting and challenging stealth give you satisfaction when you finally make it through a part.

The visuals are intense, contrasting from the gloomiest lows to the most beautiful outdoor parts. While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of

While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of some tricks Naughty Dog was able to maintain a mainly solid 30FPS at 720p. Unfortunately with that said the noisy PS3 can sometimes be a bother.

The story is where this game just leaves everything else behind, everything, ever, this game is an epic of a scale no other game even gets close to. Character so human with real reactions and no superpowers, it is a nice change to see.
  58. Jun 16, 2013
    If 5 is an average game, this is well deserving of a 7 or an 8. The graphics are amazing, the game play isn't clunky, the atmosphere is well toned, the characters are unique, and the game is solid. I haven't experienced the auto-save bug, so I can't comment on that, however, I do not feel this game is deserving of a 10. It's a 'Zombie Apocalypse' style game, which makes the plot prettyIf 5 is an average game, this is well deserving of a 7 or an 8. The graphics are amazing, the game play isn't clunky, the atmosphere is well toned, the characters are unique, and the game is solid. I haven't experienced the auto-save bug, so I can't comment on that, however, I do not feel this game is deserving of a 10. It's a 'Zombie Apocalypse' style game, which makes the plot pretty predictable. The 'stealth' system is pretty easy to abuse for gamers accustomed to the genre, and the non player characters don't seem to attract the attention of the Infected despite standing up and running within sneezing distance of the enemies to get to the player controlled character who is trying to sneak around (which can really ruin the mood). However, it is a good game overall and deserving of a play through by most gamers. Expand
  59. Jun 15, 2013
    Amazing game, great levels and story events, but it don't deserve a score that high. It's a stealth/action third person game like many others. I would compare it to Hitman: Absolution with poorer graphics and a better storyline.
  60. Apr 25, 2014
    Why this game got the ratings it got baffles me. Graphics are good. Music is good. Generic backstory, glitchy gameplay, cliche characters, uninteresting dialog, OK voice acting (except for the girl, which is painfully bad). Heavily developer-planned combat scenes mean you either do it their way or you die. No exploration, no deviation from doing exactly what the developers intended.Why this game got the ratings it got baffles me. Graphics are good. Music is good. Generic backstory, glitchy gameplay, cliche characters, uninteresting dialog, OK voice acting (except for the girl, which is painfully bad). Heavily developer-planned combat scenes mean you either do it their way or you die. No exploration, no deviation from doing exactly what the developers intended.

Just where the heck are all these 10s coming from??
  61. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is an above average game, but no where near perfect. The world and characters are simply amazing and watching the story play out is one of the better experiences in video games. The game it's self is nothing more than above average. The graphics look great, character animations and interactions with the environment and each other are great to watch, but there are someThe Last of Us is an above average game, but no where near perfect. The world and characters are simply amazing and watching the story play out is one of the better experiences in video games. The game it's self is nothing more than above average. The graphics look great, character animations and interactions with the environment and each other are great to watch, but there are some definite issues with objects popping into and out of environments, including an entire building that I was in at one point, and a strange shimmer and glow to a lot of objects in the environment. The Uncharted-esque style of game play is translated fairly well, but does take some time to get used to. The gun play and stealth are again, above average, but do leave a little bit to be desired. There are collectibles hidden everywhere, and if you're into trophies you'll definitely have to play the game numerous times. Overall, I can't deny the enjoyment I got from this game, I beat the entire story in two sittings, including powering through the last 8 hours in one sitting. The story, world, and characters and simply amazing to watch, but with some strange graphical glitches, and some game play mechanics that just seem a little off on occasion, The Last of Us is an great game with some basic issues that are pretty easy to overlook, and should make you happy to be a gamer in 2013. Expand
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that iBeautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that i wanted to get over with.
    The infected, with their fungal growths ripping through their bodies, are truly horrific and are bound to give me a nightmare or two.
    Really good game, but Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dogs masterpiece, in my opinion.
  63. Jul 2, 2013
    This game's hype is way overblown, and video games get a huge "pass" when it comes to storytelling because they are so laughably behind the curve compared to everything else in that department, which I don't accept. If it were a movie, show, or book, there's absolutely no way it would exist without everyone going "Wait. Um, this is a huge rip-off. This is just taken directly from (a numberThis game's hype is way overblown, and video games get a huge "pass" when it comes to storytelling because they are so laughably behind the curve compared to everything else in that department, which I don't accept. If it were a movie, show, or book, there's absolutely no way it would exist without everyone going "Wait. Um, this is a huge rip-off. This is just taken directly from (a number of different things, including other games). But because it's a video game, I have to hear about it's staggering genius on every website for 3 weeks. Also, who isn't tired of hiding behind cover and firing guns yet? Expand
  64. Feb 27, 2014
    The game is well done: graphics, animations, sounds and music - 10, but game mechanics - 2.
    In 2 words I would describe the genre like 'walking game', because 95% of the game you walk, walk, climb over fences, walk, solve 'ultratricky' puzzles, like to move a box or a board to climb over a fence or move forward. You solve these puzzles so many times, sssssooooo repetitive. In addition the game is absolutely linear and has 0 replayability. I wonder why it's a top ps3 game here.
  65. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I stopped playing this game about 1/3 in. 1 week later I watched the online play through just for story, so I know what the fuzz will be about when we will be talking about this game later, as I am sure many of my friends will do. As for me, I didn't like it. It felt like a really simple game with very easy puzzles, who required nothing from you but looking around for stuff like a scavenger fool. Don't get me wrong, the opening was great, but after playing Bioshock:Infinite, I guess I was spoiled as the companion in that game was much better than the ones in this one, in regards to mechanism. If you stealth, they run around like idiots. If you swim across a place, your companion would use powerpuff magic to get to you. It does not feel as real as in Bioshock, and it makes it feel like the companion are just put into the game to not get in your way and be a conversationalist.

Further on everyone are irrational idiots in this world. The environment and atmosphere does not collude with how the world is presented. If you even payed the slightest attention in the nature science classes or even the social sciences, you'd know some of the approaches done in this game are beyond stupid. It's like they wiped the world of anyone with a brain and left the idiots in charge, just to give you an excuse for a game. You have thriving wildlife, nature working just fine and the only problem are a bunch of people who can bite you and some underground fungus. I mean after you are done you've pretty much cleared a whole area of infected people, and could alone be the guardian of humanity, as these people represent no bigger threat than a bad neighborhood. Hell a 14 year old girl are wiping the floor with them, and could easily be cleared by the local militia in a matter of weeks. The fungus are not more dangerous than you can walk through it with a gas mask, you even have a god damn smuggling route through it regularly, yet this is just too hard to eradicate? Like, Come on! Also wtf is the obsession for a cure, from the looks of things you don't need it as the local crime lord packs a bigger punch than the infected ever will. The main character I could not relate to, as he was murdering people left and right "because he have to in order to survive" which is a reason judged from the circumstances, only true in words "because we told you so" and not from a real threat presented in the game. Also he never even considered handing over Ellie to the proper authorities and instead goes through hell for an untrusted weak terrorist organization. Again, the stupidity is beyond what I can fathom. And I get it, this is not the real world, you have to accept some thing in order to keep the story going. Mass Effect was not great because they gave you schematics for their relay stations, but when they try to emerge you as a person into a game, and they try to make that game a survival horror based on what could happen in reality, then I feel that you should require somewhat realistic behavior and not boil it down to "I'm a tough guy who can take care of a 14 year old in a post zombified world".

Now maybe this game is just not for me, I'm not a big fan of zombie games in general, though I don't dislike them either. I guess there will be no one to read this in the end, as I am on the wrong side of the mainstream fence on this one, but I guess I'll just write this for myself to help me understand why I didn't like it. I expected greatness, I expected a really good story, I expected immersion with my companions and character on a level of the best RPGs, and all I got was this world full of irrational idiots, a story about getting from A to B and a main character with zero choice other than making a fool out of himself over and over and over again.
  66. PWG
    Dec 26, 2013
    Overrated and overhyped.

Hear me out, first. When you think of a game, what's the first thing you think of? If what you said was any of the following, you probably don't know what a game is: Graphics, soundtrack, acting, story, any type of rating All of those are nice little features, but the correct answer is game-play. That isn't an opinion (maybe in the context of my
    Overrated and overhyped.

Hear me out, first.

When you think of a game, what's the first thing you think of?
    Graphics, soundtrack, acting, story, any type of rating
    All of those are nice little features, but the correct answer is game-play.
    That isn't an opinion (maybe in the context of my question), but game-play is the most important thing when it comes to a GAME. Everything else can combine to make a MOVIE. There's a difference between the two.

Now onto The Last of Us.
    NOTICE SOMETHING ABOUT ALL OF THE "MOST HELPFUL" USER REVIEWS?
    *NONE* of them talk about game-play. Everything but that, actually. This is less a game and more of an experience, which isn't bad, but when the game-play actually is seen, it's incredibly repetitive, either boring or tedious, and the AI is horrendous. I have played this game to the end. Because, again, it's more of an experience the other elements want you to continue. But it's nothing to go back for, and honestly doesn't deserve "Game of the Year" or all these 10's and 100's. This is... an interactive movie, with your "choices" not affecting much at all. There were so many better games this year, yet so many people say this is the best game ever, or of the last decade, and so on. They are wrong. How can their opinion be wrong, you ask? Because when they talk about why they like it, just about EVERY TIME they don't talk about the gameplay, just how it looked pretty and sounded nice. That is not the game they like. They like it for being art, and less a game. Video games are art, yes, but on the list of things that make it art, gameplay is definitely near the bottom, if not at it entirely.

But I suppose I will get many... dislikes, I guess they are, for saying this. Even though it's true. If you liked the gameplay, fine by me, but I thought it was horrendous and is most certainly what everyone overlooks. And that last part is a fact, not an opinion.
  67. Sep 15, 2013
    I'm currently half the way first playthrough but there is absolutely nothing that could spoil pure 10 score for this game. Awesome graphics, incredible story and probably most balanced stealth gameplay in history make this game one of top games ever made.

99% people with bad scores for this game are XBox trols because this is their only PS3 review after a lot of Box reviews. If you already don't have PS this is one of the games which make worth to buy. Hope they will make PS4 version and give us cheap upgrade!!!
  68. Sep 5, 2013
    This game is a truly phenomenal game,I literally cannot find an issue with it. It will draw you into the characters and make you genuinely care for them, the voice acting is flawless, and overall the game is fantastic from start to finish, and oh god that finish.
  69. Jul 12, 2013
    If you liked the Uncharted series, you might like this. The extremely high reviews this game has received are due to AAA title hype, it is not a 10, it is about a 6, on a real scale of 10 that doesn't begin at 8 and end at 10.
  70. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us has been called many things. It has the titles of "greatest game of the generation", "greatest ps3 exclusive" and "best zombie game", in order from most, to least ridiculous. The Last of Us fails to push the boundaries of gaming in any way. Not only does it not push the boundaries, it ultimately fails in the execution of tried and true gameplay mechanics and story cliches that would seem so easy to replicate.
    The story is almost completely throwaway when you see how many recycled events from other zombie movies/games The Last of Us has jumbled together, humiliatingly paling in comparison to Telltale's The Walking Dead. The gameplay, just as well, is nothing stellar, inventive, fresh, or any other word someone could come up with for "good". Shaky shooting (I know it was made this way to give realism), upgrade benches, scarce ammo, and the upside down shooting sequence call up much too many similarities with the Dead Space series to be coincidental. At least if you use the mechanics from another game, an attempt should be made to improve on the mechanics, which did not happen. On the same point as gameplay, the "puzzling" (I call it that because I have no other words it) is basically a slap to the face. Take this, put it here, take this, put it here. Random plank of wood lying right where you need it, random ladder right next to the truck you need to climb. These "puzzling" events are completely pointless and are a very tedious and cheap way to make the game longer. I understand the needs for the puzzles, though. After walking from battle arena to battle arena to battle arena, I would rather be doing anything than walking to another freaking battle arena. This is a horrible attempt to break up the tedious arenas, with tedious puzzles. That is it for gameplay, next is environments. While the graphics are great, the environments are bland, with nothing really sticking out. When I first saw the vine covered streets, I will admit, I was impressed. After seeing the same vine covered streets for ten hours? Not so much. Another problem with the environments is the cover. It seems like in every room there is a labyrinth of conveniently chest high cover. Next, is the technical aspect. As many have noted, the AI is horribly stupid. Enemies usually wait four or five seconds before shooting you, see dead bodies and do nothing, and walk out of cover. The friendly AI is no better. They will get in your way, and yes, they yell to you while clickers are around, and nothing happens. The last thing i will be talking about, and by FAR the biggest put off of the game for me, was Ellie. When you first get Ellie as a partner, she is annoying and rude, spewing out swear after swear to the point where it is mind numbing. Three hours later, she is still annoying and rude. And she has by far the most unrealistic reactions to death I have ever seen. Three disemboweled swat members? Meh. Boy I just talked to yesterday turned and tried to kill me? Okay. I know she grew up in the apocalypse, but her reaction when somebody dies should be more than "oh, that guy died."
    The Last of Us is a jumbled mess of story and gameplay ideas taken from other sources. It does nothing very good, but everything good enough to pull in the gamers with unmatched fanboy love for PS3 and Naughty Dog. Now I know what everyone is thinking, "omg xbox fanboy rated down the game." This is simply untrue. Think about it, if this game was made by a different developer, and was not an exclusive, it would be throwaway. But somehow all of the problems with the game were dismissed as "nitpicking." It goes to show how low of an opinion the gaming community has when such a cliched game as the Last of Us can even be called "game of the year" or "best PS3 exclusive" or even "best zombie game" while games like Bioshock Infinite, Metal Gear Solid 4, and The Walking Dead exist.
    To end this overly long review, The Last of Us is by no means a bad game. There is nothing about it I can say i like, but it's playable.Its not great, its not fresh, or inventive, or anything of the nature.
  71. Jun 16, 2013
    I personally find 10 out of 10 a little bit overrated, and here's why:

I personally find 10 out of 10 a little bit overrated, and here's why:

It's still an incredible playthrough but very, very, linear. There are moment where you can't even go offtrack and explore around a little bit while I kind of expected it from the few trailers I've watched, while in other areas you suddenly gain a lot more freedom but are still very limited by impenetrable bushes and thin broken fences.

Combat becomes kind of repetitive after a while, it does look good and is animated really well but halfway through the game you keep seeing the same thing over and over again. It becomes really irritating when you have to redo the same part 10 times over because the sometimes clunky aiming controls with melee weapons in small rooms can cause a bit of trouble when dealing with those Clickers, or that you can't get your health up (or have no ability to craft health packs) at the very moment.

This is a bit of nitwitting and I know ND had to cut out some stuff somewhere, but at some parts the textures are really bad, I've seen some very low quality metal and glass alike textures and at several moments in the game I've seen clipping issues where the entire world started flickering or disappearing taking away from the immersion, at some points I could then even see through walls and what not. Near the end of the game I even ran into some NPC's that managed to catch me and I got to see a short cutscene of how they killed me, but in that cutscene I didn't see any environment at all, just the characters on a bluescreen background...

For me this game has no replay value at all, I was really pissed off when I figured out after playing the first 4 hours that it couldn't save my game... Even tho' I had patched the game the very morning and downloaded an additional 14gb for the language (I assumed English was on the PSN download already, but guessed wrong).

The ending (don't read if you don't want to spoil yourself in any way) is kind of '...ok, and now what'-ish. There doesn't really feel like any closure and it kind of left me wondering what's about to happen really.

I'd definitely recommend it for players that are into good single player story and character development but don't expect to make any choices themselves in doing so.

All in all a very good game but it's lack of openworld, repetitive combat and linear story deducts those 2 points for me, I give it an 8 out of 10.
  72. Aug 15, 2013
    To be completely honest it wasn't too... Well I often felt like doing anything else instead of playing it.
    I got fairly far into the game.
    The game was awesome! I would give it a great score but it wasn't as fun as everyone made it seem to be.
    But that's just me and everyone I got to try it...
    Have fun playing it everyone else who loves it! Have an awesome day.
  73. Nov 11, 2013
    I found that this game was massively over hyped to be a zombie survival game. But if you ask me there is only serving at the beginning. But after a while it just gets stupid, like you can have lots of guns a huge backpack and a hell alot of ammo. While the title is called the Last of us, there seems to be lots of people still left. The retard supper zombies is a bad idea they can one hitI found that this game was massively over hyped to be a zombie survival game. But if you ask me there is only serving at the beginning. But after a while it just gets stupid, like you can have lots of guns a huge backpack and a hell alot of ammo. While the title is called the Last of us, there seems to be lots of people still left. The retard supper zombies is a bad idea they can one hit kill you, which seems to be the way that I die the most. Also Ellie is pointless although she can be helpful the AI doesn't take note of her. Expand
  74. Nov 23, 2013
    Playing this game I got the same feeling as playing Half-Life 2(HL being in my top 3).
    Sure the game had some technical issues but story wise it was perfect; fun game play, one of the most enjoyable stealth time game. I think that I would like to have the possibility to move the bodys.
    The weapons have a very good feeling and the melee attacks the best I ever experienced. I got a very satisfying feeling when I could use successfully the bow and a shiv attack.
  75. Feb 16, 2014
    I got fooled by the reviews on this site... What could I expect? Im an idiot... these are the same people who AAA companies are catering to... the main reason we have FF13, FF13-2,FF lightning returns, RE5, RE6.... lol

I've been playing for 7 hours so far and i'm STILL waiting for something epic to happen. The gameplay is very boring. All it consists of is running from one place to another by climbing holes in walls or avoiding monsters. There was absolutely nothing rewarding me to keep doing this over and over. (I wouldn't mind if it actually had some nostalgic value or stunning reward/story).

Basically, nothing happens unless you "finish the game" which is a complete joke. The game should be EPIC throughout the gameplay.

Instead, it's just a game where you die and repeat a "sneaking" scenario or use limited weapons to kill everything.... then you run through a desert and reach a new boring environment with different buildings and repeat it again. (then you're rewarded with a scene where everyone is relieved for surviving...but nothing else).

This was definitely a disappointment. I refuse to give this game more than a 6/10, which was given based on the graphics and game's intro (which makes you believe you're in for something fun...but it's just a empty).

Whoever says this game has an atmosphere... yeah it does for the first 2 hours... then you realize it was all in your head and you're just performing a Job... it gets boring real quick and suddenly you don't "feel it" anymore.
    Go play RE2. Now that game has a real atmosphere.

Sorry guys, I know my tone is annoying but Im not trying to offend anybody... don't judge my rating by how annoying I sound. Just accept my message, you don't have to agree with it... Try to understand what I mean instead
  76. Sep 13, 2014
    An above average story with below average gameplay. If I knew that this "game" was going to be this bad, I would've wasted my $70 on some worthless charity.
  77. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game not really knowing anything about it besides that it seemed way over hyped. I'm currently playing the game and would guess to be about half way. Most of the 10/10 reviews are terrible "OMG DAT INTRO" or "I LUVS NaUgHtY DoG." While the ones that rate 0-3/10 are doing so on the anger of the save game glitch or argue about the stupidity of the 10/10 over hypers.

I will admit the game is good and enjoyable do I think its game of the year..no. The graphics look good the environments are nice (for an apocalypse) Its nice to see ruins that are not cookie cutters of each other. The houses you explore look realistic and will make you wonder about the previous residents.

The down side is those good looking environments are pretty much one way streets. Some areas if you go off the path you may find a few items, ammo or a letter even then its not that far out of the way. Combat gets old quickly all baddies are crack shots while you will waste bullets trying to hit them as run straight at you. Enemies armed with guns will not drop their ammo for some reason even if they didn't fire a shot.

The story is obvious from the start. The intro mentions the Fireflies a group of rebels being hounded by the military. As soon as that was said I knew I would be forced to join/help them. This bothered me the most the game is about survival. Joel makes it obvious he wants to live so agreeing to help a terrorist organization who is being slaughtered as you speak to their leader who suffering from a gunshot to the gut doesn't seem like it will have a good outcome.

You end up helping the Fireflies by smuggling Ellie out of the zone. At some point you are caught by soldiers who check for infection. You kill them and realize Ellie is infected but is somehow immune and the Fireflies want to create a cure. This is by far one of the most overused tropes in my opinion. I would have been more impressed if it turned out Ellie was the origin of the virus or something.

Then you have Tess who is doomed from the start. Trailers made a big deal about Joel and Ellie surviving together so I knew she had a time limit on her.

As for the multiplayer its fun but nothing special. I liked the customized character even though you don't play as your character. You pick what hat, mask, and helmet you wear then when the match starts you'll be randomly a male or female of a different race.

All in all the game is good fun. Does it deserve all the 10's? No. Does it deserve 0's? No. Its an above average game that you will enjoy.

Also if you haven't played the game don't write a review with a 10 saying how good the game is. That just makes you look like a douche bag fan boy.
  78. Jul 19, 2014
    The last of us is a game about how normal society can be reduced to smoldering pile of anarchy chaos and how humans can be changed into savage beasts with selfish motives and ruthless behavior. Let me tell you something about The last of us, it is a **** of overrated crap. it's plot, story, voice acting, characters, and themes are so unoriginal and has been repeated in various games,The last of us is a game about how normal society can be reduced to smoldering pile of anarchy chaos and how humans can be changed into savage beasts with selfish motives and ruthless behavior. Let me tell you something about The last of us, it is a **** of overrated crap. it's plot, story, voice acting, characters, and themes are so unoriginal and has been repeated in various games, movies, t.v. shows, and novels. The whole emotional sequences and hopeless reality is so mediocre, can you imagine how much this has been featured in so many stories. The last of us is a game that is so insignificant and all those critics who give it a perfect score are either half or no brained at all. I would also like to say that I respect everyone else's opinion but ultimately it fails to make a fan of me and fails at being called one of the greatest games. For all those people who were mindlessly indoctrinated, I feel sorry for you but I am not those kinds of people who are pulled into the horde of zombie fans and critics. The only good thing about the game is its graphics which are kind of remarkable, however the rest of it is more or less **** to me. So that is my review of the highly overrated game that dares to call itself The Last of Us Expand
  79. Jun 18, 2013
    Woopedy Doo another zombie story that supposedly has depth because of the serious dialogue. If you didn't get enough of this from the Walking Dead game, movie, comic book or the book Cell from Stephen King here is yet another helping. Welcome to Uncharted 4, The Walking Undead. This game sports beautiful visuals and settings in which your sole purpose in life is to get from point A toWoopedy Doo another zombie story that supposedly has depth because of the serious dialogue. If you didn't get enough of this from the Walking Dead game, movie, comic book or the book Cell from Stephen King here is yet another helping. Welcome to Uncharted 4, The Walking Undead. This game sports beautiful visuals and settings in which your sole purpose in life is to get from point A to point B. Spoiler alert if you see a ladder or a board you are going to need it.

This is basically Uncharted 3 without the acrobatics and with a different, but equally frustrating, combat system. Luckily many of the encounters can be avoided by using stealth, that is until someone decides to turn around for no apparent reason other than you set the games difficulty to hard, once that happens regardless of what critics have said all the enemies indeed know where you are and come en masse, at which point you can shoot them three times in the head, break your melee weapon on them or smash there head into the wall. And even though they have guns that they shoot at you when you kill them you get no gun or ammo because this is a survival game and in survival games I guess reality be damned.

I guess if I want to have fun dragging around a young girl in a zombie infested landscape I will go back to RE4.
  80. Jul 4, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Okay, this is my first serious review and I would really appreciate if all of you could tell me if you find this review helpful or good at all as I wish to be a game reviewer someday.

Okay, now let me start by saying that this game is by no means a bad game, in fact it's a great one.
    The game-play is great, the graphics are stellar and the story is simply amazing.
    Now you may be asking yourself as to why I'm giving it a 7 out of 10 if I think it's such a great game, the reason behind this is because the control scheme at first is a little more that difficult to get around, R1 to reload while but only when you're not aiming, I seriously had a problem with that.

Another Problem I found is that the Clickers have an instant-kill move, and that's understandable since they're Super-Zombies and such, but it becomes frustrating when you've died 5 times in the same spot because of it, this is especially noticeable on the 'Hard' setting when they become neigh impossible to kill because you don't have a shank or the resources to make any.

Several times throughout the game I found myself having to sneak my way thorough an area full of infected only to find that to get into the next area, I would have to kill them all, this is a big problem in a game with stealth being one of the main focuses, you cannot put an obligatory stealth section in a game and the force the players to turn around and kill all of the enemies they had just sneak past because an object you have to move makes a lot of noise, yet again these sections became annoying because on hard mode, you'll find yourself dying extremely fast.

Yet another downside is that HARD MODE IS TOO HARD!
    Now obviously Hard mode is going to be Hard, I mean, the game-mode says Hard so what were you expecting?
    Anyway, the reason why this is on here is because games are meant to be a fun experience, not a frustrating one, even on hard difficulty you should be able to pass certain parts of the game without having to lower your game-mode because you don't have the resources necessary to pass it on hard mode.

One more problem, the big one, Spoilers wait ahead so if you haven't finished it don't read past this point!

The ending is a mess.
    A big one at that.
    At the end of the game, Joel becomes emotionally invested in Ellie, seeing her as sort of second daughter, and when at the end of the game he is told that to create the vaccine, Ellie would have to die, Joel reacts in a completely immoral way, he kills 3 innocent people, one a doctor, the other two being Nurses who beg for their lives before Joel kills them without batting an eye. Joel takes Ellie, humanities only known chance for a cure and to rebuild humanity to what it once was, Kills a person who wanted to find the cure and help save what's left of humanity and secure it's future of survival, all of that because he sees it as humanity doesn't deserve a second chance, because his daughter was killed at the start of the game and he sees it as the world owing him another daughter.

The ending is an ending that some will hate and some will like, it's all in what you, the player believe is right, I was once asked a question, If you had the chance to save 1 of your family members, all of your friends family members, or 250 random strangers, what would you do?
    Choose your 1 family member, save your friends family, or save 250 random people, for me, I would save the 250 people as I believe that the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

In the end it's what you believe is right, Joel believes it's right to save one person and ruin humanities chance of survival, the Fireflies Believe that Humanity deserves a second chance.

In conclusion, there is no real 'good' guy or 'bad' guy in this game, The Military is trying to keep people safe by making them live in areas where there's security, but it's strict and you don't have much free will.

The Fireflies rebel against the Military and smuggle goods so that the can have a chance at making a cure and securing humanities fate.

The Bandits are doing what they can to keep their little communities alive, even if they have to murder others who are just trying to survive.

And Joel is trying to get back what he lost, his Daughter.

Everyone's trying to survive the best way they see fit.

Overall, a great experience with a twist on the 'Zombie' Genre, amazing visuals and great game-play with a little too steep of a difficulty curve.

-Bryton Whitford De Azevedo
  81. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Story: 6/10
    Decent twists, good story overall, yet at the same time extremely reminicscene of any other zombie outbreak game I've played before. Virus breaks out, people die, post-apocalyptic era. A cure arises, you spend the game trying to deliver the cure (Ellie) to researchers, but a bond develops and you sacrifice the sake of human kind over your emotions

Characters: 8/10
    You'll fall in love with the characters Your main character is a stoic who doesn't talk about the past yet you can tell has a heart of gold and takes time warming up to anyone and in the end just misses his daughter Ellie: Awesome at first, a 14 year old cool as hell girl who yearns for the affection of anyone who will have her and care about her The supporting characters never last long but all have their own attitudes and demeanor that make them all memorable

AI: 5/10
    Falls extremely short here. I didn't play the hardest mode, but in hardmode the game was a cakewalk provided you didn't run headfirst into everything. The human enemies seemed to ignore their comrades dying right in front of them, and every infected in the game could be avoided with a simple brick/bottle Enemies could also be avoided when spotted by simply running away and hiding for 5 seconds

Gameplay: 5/10

The upgrade system is flawed, and gives you seemingly useless upgrades for certain weapons (Increased fire rate on a one shot pistol anyone?). Smoke bombs were also beyond useless in the game The firefight system was no different from any uncharted game, but at the same time Uncharted system isn't bad by any means, but does get redundant.

The game followed a simple pattern, Story Stockup Human Area Infected Area

Was very predictable as what was going to happen, you would spend a half hour searching every place for materials/ammo to be greeted with a all too predictable firefight The game itself was extremely linear, you could either spend ten minutes in an area and stockup on a few bullets, or simply rush to the exit, there was no diverging or backtracking by any means The puzzles were almost non existent, not to say it was supposed to be a puzzle game, but was too easy to spot.

Water area? Find a pallet

No doors? Find a ladder or dumpster to climb on

Locked door? Find a hole Ellie can crawl through
    Yawn.

Also the hardest difficulty is not unlocked at the start, why do games do this? Hard difficulty is a bore, but the Survivor (Hardest) difficulty is tolerable, as you lose the ability to see through walls to spot enemies, which is a core component in earlier difficulties, but since the game as little replayability there is little motivation to play again on survivor

Graphics: 8/10

No complaints, good, decent animations, minor screen tearing to warrant 8

Replayability: 1/10

Hardest difficult isn't available from the start, and since this game is mainly story driven, there is little motivation. You get to unlock skins, big whoop. No new areas, no new enemies, you only get to keep upgrades, which make an easy game even easier. Only motivation is trophies, which are for nerds anyway.

Sound: 6/10

Nothing spectacular as far as soundtrack goes, it has its soppy music for the soppy scenes, but no new great sound effects, but does do pretty good with the infected

Dialogue: 7/10

Awesome dialogue, at first Ellie is awesome with her cursing the world, but soon gets repetitive and monotonous and just plain annoying. The game also features hidden dialogue that is optional depending on whether or not you pay attention to the surrounding characters during scenes, some of which can be very heart-felt.

Consensus: Another great Naughty dog game for PS3 with great graphics characters and story, but the same gameplay as others we've seen. If you've play uncharted you've played this, certainly doesn't live up to hype of all the 10/10 you've seen a million times. Virtually no replayability and all of the trophies are inspired by collectathons. If I wanted to play a collectathon I still have my RARE games on the N64, no thanks.
  82. Jun 4, 2014
    Cons : Great graphic for PS3 hardware, Interesting characters, interesting background story. Lots of cut scenes, Great first 20 mins of the gameplay.

Pros: Plain and easily predicable plot, flat characters, it is a pretty bad TPS game if you love TPS games, annoyingly bad AI. My score is 6,5 out of 10. But i gave it 1 out of 10 because i think it is overrated and i want to make the

My score is 6,5 out of 10. But i gave it 1 out of 10 because i think it is overrated and i want to make the score lower.
    I strongly disagree that this game is rated higher than Red dead redemption, GTA5, The walking dead, Mass effect, Uncharted, some of Final fantasy series and many other PS3 games.
  83. Jun 2, 2014
    This game is way to hyped. I've played through it, and there are tons of glitches. It might just be that I got the download version. I liked the characters, and there were moments when I felt emotional, but some, my game ended up glitching. It wouldn't even allow me to play, and it's way to over-hyped. It was OK, but not the best.
  84. Mar 12, 2014
    I dont know what it was, maybe cause i started to play it just after finishing beyond.
    The graphics in TLOU well, in comparsion to beyond they r not that good as everyone says.
    Also the stroy in TLOU isnt the greatest of all time. The game starts to get boring realy fast. After TLOU was getting high reviews it was obsvious for me to play. But after beating the game. I feel not how i
    After TLOU was getting high reviews it was obsvious for me to play. But after beating the game. I feel not how i imagined i would. True - while playing you feel that u r constantly alone and can depend only on each other but putting that aside; I just wanted to play uncharted 2 and 3 again.

If uncharted 2 and 3 ar a 10/10 for me. TLOS is a 3/10
    the game is that bad.
  85. Jun 17, 2013
    i would compare this game not to watching paint dry, but to actually watching a house being painted. sure, there's action, but it's pretty boring. I feel bad for that guy at Polygon who reviewed this a 7.5 and took all the heat. I was ready to see that guy sacrificed in a volcano pre-release, but now that i've played most of the game, he was right on the money. this is an average toi would compare this game not to watching paint dry, but to actually watching a house being painted. sure, there's action, but it's pretty boring. I feel bad for that guy at Polygon who reviewed this a 7.5 and took all the heat. I was ready to see that guy sacrificed in a volcano pre-release, but now that i've played most of the game, he was right on the money. this is an average to below average shooter masked with amazing production value. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games, and this comes across as a slow, boring, neutered version of that concept based entirely around its so-so stealth mechanic. The story is cliche, the characters are mildly developed to put it mildly, and the gameplay mechanics aren't fun enough to keep me entertained moment to moment. If you are a big Survival Horror fan like me and were hoping this game would be the second coming, i would lower your expectations. The game's "survival" tendencies are completely at odds with its own pacing. On one hand, the temptation is to pixel hunt to make sure you have enough supplies, but by doing this, you end up exploring big empty environments and DRAMATICALLY slow down the pace of an already slow game. And what's worse is that I've felt flush with supplies the whole time, ever since i adapted to the game's "bullet allowance". Pixel hunting works in the Silent Hill games (for instance) because they have an overall labyrinth quality: your'e searching for a place to go, which requires finding keys and puzzle pieces. It's all built around the search, and finding a new object is its own reward. The Last of Us just asks you to scrounge for little "scissor emblems" while taking you on rails from one locale to the next. Most of which are very straightforward areas by the way. And when you are suddenly confronted by a large environment in TLOU, it's just stressful. Like: there's no puzzle to solve, there's just dudes to shoot and where the is the next car to crawl on top of and get to the next alley way full of cars. if i sound sour it's because the game has so much potential. Expand
  86. Sep 19, 2013
    Nothing new to see here, just a rehash, you will notice this the first time you wander into a room with appropriately placed cover boxes. You get your canned little girl sidekick and I guess you are supposed to feel attached to her but she is a walking swearing stereotype.
    This game makes very little sense overall. It plays like resident evil but the zombies are fast and can instantly kill you. I understand this is meant to create tension but it ends up being tedious. Navigating the environments is a chore as you wander around with no apparent direction and the only open path leads you to your destination. It feels very artificial. You are given maps and hints that would suggest depth but they are of little use in the muddy darkness.
    Overall it is a disappointment, same recycled plot and characters you have seen in every game or movie in this setting.
  87. Jun 16, 2013
    Will keep this quick and simple. The first 20 mins are terrific. The father and daughter experiencing the beginning of the outbreak. This is where the story should have started. Not 20 years later. Would have made a much better game having to protect her. Second the graphics are great in some areas and bad in others. AI is dodgy to where stealth doesn't matter. Oh and the boring "gottaWill keep this quick and simple. The first 20 mins are terrific. The father and daughter experiencing the beginning of the outbreak. This is where the story should have started. Not 20 years later. Would have made a much better game having to protect her. Second the graphics are great in some areas and bad in others. AI is dodgy to where stealth doesn't matter. Oh and the boring "gotta take out hoodlums" gets old real fast. It has its ups and downs but definitely didn't like the story. Like I said they should have stuck to the three characters in the beginning. The scores by Gamespot and some others are rational. The others are plainly just kissing ass. Worth a rental. Expand
  88. Sep 13, 2013
    As a PC Gamer with a PS3 I had heard of the Reviews of The Last of Us, But In reality the Controls are poor and the game attempted to make you feel emotions for the character but with me it simply didn't work and i just felt like it had a good idea with some good story but it wanted it to bad and failed.
  89. Jun 19, 2013
    Last of Us is a good game, probably a great game but not a perfect game. I found the support AI to be extremely frustrating especially early on when Tess just opens up gunfire on a room full of other survivors as I was trying to stealthily avoid/kill if necessary, not engage in bloody, dehumanizing gunfights. Which also brings up the nature of killing, how the game totes this aura ofLast of Us is a good game, probably a great game but not a perfect game. I found the support AI to be extremely frustrating especially early on when Tess just opens up gunfire on a room full of other survivors as I was trying to stealthily avoid/kill if necessary, not engage in bloody, dehumanizing gunfights. Which also brings up the nature of killing, how the game totes this aura of realism that intends to make you question whether or not it is a good idea to kill someone, which isn't evident when forced into gun-blazing scenarios where you end up punching rednecks so as to save ammo for the monsters. The concept attempted to be fresh, which I enjoyed but it ultimately came down to a post-apocalyptic zombie-survival scenario where the zombies (which act like zombies) aren't actually zombies, but in all senses still are.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed this game wholly, it felt like I was playing the best Resident Evil game since 4 (which is still one of the best horror games of all time). It didn't strike me as a perfect 10 but it was a well polished, interesting story with great characters but a few gameplay and enemy flaws that would stop me from giving it a higher score.
  90. Jun 26, 2013
    Very good game but way to over rated. Love the characters. Very good graphics also but the gameplay and storyline is meh. Uncharted kicks its ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  91. Jul 16, 2013
    I really appreciate that the game always tries to make you feel like the character you`re currently playing...it takes it`s time to evolve, it wants to make the characters` actions look authentic so you can really relate and feel happines, pain and other emotions just like they do. So I don´t understand why they didnt give you the option to benumb ,,enemies" right ftom the start. ItI really appreciate that the game always tries to make you feel like the character you`re currently playing...it takes it`s time to evolve, it wants to make the characters` actions look authentic so you can really relate and feel happines, pain and other emotions just like they do. So I don´t understand why they didnt give you the option to benumb ,,enemies" right ftom the start. It really took away so much of pleasure to realize again and again you just killed someone who was talking about being afraid his brother or himself could die just a couple moments ago. This seems just grotesque and I really couldnt enjoy the highly emotional story how I wanted to... It really took away so much of my excitement for the game that I really couldnt enjoy it afterwards... Expand
  92. Jul 20, 2014
    I got this game on Christmas and Played it for one night got stuck and never picked it back up until recently, and I regret it. THIS IS THE AMAZING SURVIVAL EXPERIENCE EVERYONE IS FAWNING OVER! It pisses me off even more that Metro Last Light came out this year and yet this piece of instant kill **** is the one that got all the attention. The game relies on the Instant killing clickers forI got this game on Christmas and Played it for one night got stuck and never picked it back up until recently, and I regret it. THIS IS THE AMAZING SURVIVAL EXPERIENCE EVERYONE IS FAWNING OVER! It pisses me off even more that Metro Last Light came out this year and yet this piece of instant kill **** is the one that got all the attention. The game relies on the Instant killing clickers for Its difficulty, because those are the only enemy that you cant beat the **** out of. Your resources are always low not because you are constantly using them to fend of your enemies, they're limited because the world is so stupidly empty that you never had them to begin with. their is no tension about resource conservation when you NEVER GET THEM, human enemies almost never drop ammo, (which is just stupid, like I just manage to kill them when they had just used their last bullet) and guns just suck so why even use them, especially when you can LITERALLY BEAT ZOMBIES TO DEATH WITH YOUR BARE HANDS AND WIN. The game is a joke when clickers aren't around and then its only hard because they **** instant kill. Stealth is boring and has no tension because clickers are so damn easy to sneak by, (just move slow and hold still when the start to throw a hissy fit) and any other foe can just be beat to death. for a comparison lets look at Metro Last Light a far superior survival game that gets it right. supplies litter maps if you just know where to look, and the world is so detailed you'll always find new things you have to SCAVENGE and doing so is always rewarding encouraging you to do it more, while the last of us barley ever has **** anywhere, and if it is something it will always be something you don't need, like empty **** bottles. In Metro Last Light the threat comes from the enemies themselves, In the harder modes you can be quickly killed, but if your skilled enough you can avoid it, your not getting killed by a Animation is what I am saying. When you get into combat it requires the use of resources that will deplete the more YOU fail, the game gives you enough to thrive if you have the skill and if YOU **** up then YOU have to pay the price, not just get insta-killed and restart again or just punch the world to death. Metro Last Lights combat is fun, interesting, responsive, and satisfying while the last of Us has generic combat that's hard because its clunky, and I despise clunky controls because you end up fighting them more than the enemy. the stealth is where the last of us wins right? I disagree, while the stealth in Last Light is simplistic, that simplicity honestly makes it unique, whereas The Last Of Us has stealth that is just like the stealth in pretty much every other stealth game made recently, I MEAN YOU EVEN HAVE DETECTIVE VISION COME ON! But aside from that its also just annoying, there is no satisfaction and it far too often breaks and I get seen through objects or when I shouldn't, Where in Last Light I only get spotted when I made a mistake or when I should encouraging me to try harder at it and look forward to a chance to prove my skill rather than dread the next stealth section. The best way to express my dislike for this game is the simple fact that the only time I had any fun is when nothing was happening and I was constantly dreading when the game would come back. that's not the sign of a good time. Also yes the characters and voice acting are good but Im too annoyed or bored to give a **** The game part of the game has to be bearable for the story to matter and this is honestly one of the worst third person shooter OR stealth games I've played in my life. The best description I could give of this game is if someone took dead space and uncharted taped them together and striped all the aspects that made those games good out only to have a bull come in and **** all over them to fill in the gaps. This game sucks, and I will NEVER understand why people praise this "game" like the patron saint. **** this game for wasting my day and **** everyone who would call it superior to Metro Last Light, or Dead Space 3 for that matter, It would be a blasphemy to say that Last Light compares to the Worst of the Dead Space games, let alone overshadow one of the best survival games made. Expand
  93. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is amazing, so beautiful! the only thing I would have changed was to have the ability to choose what storylines to follow. like choosing your ending and seeing what happens after youve made the choice like 10 years in the future! But overall an amazing game! naughty dog killed!
  94. Jul 19, 2013
    EXTRAORDINÁRIO! Até hoje um dos melhores jogos que tive o privilégio de jogar, um inicio emocionante, enredo espetacular e final surpreendente.Controle do jogo muito bom, onde em diversas situações preciso ter paciência para realizar uma ação.Gráficos até então não visto em qualquer jogo lançado para esta geração, confirmando que o jogo utilizou todos os recursos possíveis doEXTRAORDINÁRIO! Até hoje um dos melhores jogos que tive o privilégio de jogar, um inicio emocionante, enredo espetacular e final surpreendente.Controle do jogo muito bom, onde em diversas situações preciso ter paciência para realizar uma ação.Gráficos até então não visto em qualquer jogo lançado para esta geração, confirmando que o jogo utilizou todos os recursos possíveis do console.Compra certa para quem gosta de um bom jogo.Garanto, vocês irão gostar muito do que vão ver! Expand
  95. Aug 7, 2013
    A good movie with overall acceptable gameplay, but without going into the depth with its game mechanics. A lot of potential is missed here. It would be 10/10 if it had been a movie, but as a video game it doesn't bring anything interesting or new to the table.

What the game offers: -An immersing 12 hour long campaign with very limited replay value -Overall beautiful but linear level

What the game offers:

-An immersing 12 hour long campaign with very limited replay value
    -Overall beautiful but linear level design
    -A given narrative that doesn't interact with the player at any point in the game and based on that a somewhat disappointing ending

-Stealth mechanics that aren't very rewarding or engaging
    -Relatively simple melee combat mechanics
    -Solid but not very impressive shooting mechanics
    -Options to upgrade several abilities and weapons but most of them appear pointless due to being useless
    -Overall not much variety when it comes to progressing in the game In the end you will be strangling punching most enemies to death anyway or you will avoid it when the level design dictates it

-Overall very good voice acting and sound quality
    -Overall good visuals
    -Overall very good and believable animations

This game is good, but nothing out of the ordinary. It's deserving of a 7 or 8. It's miles away from being the game of the year, though, and it definitely is not the game of the generation. For that all game mechanics are too shallow and the game re-playability is missing. Naughty Dog should have given this project to a movie director, they chose the wrong media format for their story.
  96. Aug 5, 2013
    The Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, paintingThe Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, painting I've seen, Movie I've watched and so forth. The strange thing about the game is that the experience isn't your experience; It's Joel and Ellie's. Even though this is true, you create a massive emotional investment in the characters and everything they're going through. The story is told so flawlessly. It takes special pieces of their journey together and tells these bits at the perfect pace. The world Naughty Dog created is beautiful, yet depressing. The struggles and emotional hits the characters take in this dog-eat-dog world are hidden under the the green, bright, beautiful streets and woods. The Last of Us only has 2 issues; One being that the gameplay becomes bland at points. So much that you might be relieved when it's time for a cutscene. The other is very average AI. The Last of Us, for me, not only defined this generation of video games, but is the culmination of everything video games have been building towards for the past 40+ years. All of that said, the fact that the gameplay got bland in a video GAME stops it from being a 10 for me. Expand
  97. Jul 16, 2013
    I was really excited about this game after seeing near universal acclaim. After beating it, the zombie scenes are absolutely terrifying and they combat pretty cool. My complaints on this game are that it's just a linear path where you feel obligated to search every crevice of towns once you get into them. There is some intrigue by doing this but why can't I pick up new guns fromI was really excited about this game after seeing near universal acclaim. After beating it, the zombie scenes are absolutely terrifying and they combat pretty cool. My complaints on this game are that it's just a linear path where you feel obligated to search every crevice of towns once you get into them. There is some intrigue by doing this but why can't I pick up new guns from enemies? I did find the long rifle once but including mechanics like War Z would make the game even more fun. Perhaps I had high expectations on this game but when compared to Far Cry 3, this game isn't nearly as fun or dynamic. Expand
  98. Jul 2, 2013
    Aside from a sometimes wonky AI and a little too much ladder climbing, the flaws are totally compensated for by everything the game does right. Many good games I've played either have better story than gameplay or vice versa but The Last of Us excels at both. I would recommend this game for anyone.
  99. Jun 24, 2013
    Where do I begin?

Where do I begin?

The Last of Us is one of this years best games so far, being a story/character driven game its very important for the story and characters to be good and it is. The characters are amazing, Naughty Dog really out done themselves even though they are just characters in a game and we shouldn't care what happens to them and yet I continually find myself in tears or smiling at some scenes. The Last of Us definitely generates a memorable game experience. The music is another one of its good factors, its such an amazing and beautiful soundtrack.
    Now I've read most of the reviews and a lot of people seem to give The Last of Us a perfect score, however there are those who give it a low rating. Claiming the game's AIs have flaws, the game play isn't great and the graphics are bad. Some people seem to be forgetting this minor detail. There is no perfect game. Every game is going to have its flaws, bugs or glitches. Why I gave this game a 9/10 is mostly based on that reason.
    There is no perfect game and this game unfortunately has many flaws, but at least believe that The Last of Us deserves a good score. Other gamers may disagree, but that's their choice. They played the game and didn't like it, maybe it wasn't their cup of tea. Everyone has a different way to go about the game. Some will love it, others hate it. That's what opinions are all about.
    I do in fact agree with the rating the critics gave The Last of Us as much as I agree with the User score overall.
    The Last of Us is a good game, one of this years best so far. I'd recommend it to anyone with a PS3, some may call this game a "masterpiece" others "Failure", but that's for you to decide.
    Don't base what you see of the game on reviews like this. If you think the game looks good, play it.
    Who knows you could very well like the game.
  100. Jun 26, 2013
    Very rarely do books, movies or video games alike leave you feeling empty, tense and heartfelt all at the same time; the Last of Us did just that.

The Last of Us is set in a typical post-apocalyptic world which makes players vulnerable to subjecting the game to the clichés and the tropes it is founded on. As a result, Naughty Dog actively plays with these clichés to create a fresh and innovative world. Where the standard dark shades of brown in typical zombie environments usually dominate, the Last of Us opts for a rich, green environment which poetically demonstrates nature reclaiming the urban environment. Furthermore, we have the artefacts not only give pockets of information about the lost world but also document the lives of off-screen characters and how they coped with society’s decay. It is these small details that give the Last of Us a believable and enjoyable setting, whilst keeping with the overall sombre and broken tone.

Beyond the collectables and the environment, the storytelling in the Last of Us is where the game truly shines. In opting for a linear narrative, the game gets likened to that of a novel which allows it to effectively tell a story. Throughout the game, players are never actually given choice as to how the storyline proceeds which sets it apart from other apocalyptic games. Right from the prologue, we get the sombre and hopeless world, whilst caring and rooting for the characters, often to no avail.

That is where the focus of the game lies character interaction. Throughout the game you play as Joel, a middle-aged man hardened by the events of the outbreak who is accompanied by Ellie, a highly convincing, snark 14-year old girl. Their interactions serve to be one of the most endearing and realistic conversations in this generation’s games. Even secondary characters are given great depth which is very refreshing, with amazing voice acting complementing this remarkable cast of characters.

Where the Last of Us differs from its conventional gaming counterparts is its realism. The violence never feels gratuitous; rather it feels necessary in order to survive. Instead of opting for psychedelic drugs a la Far Cry, the game sticks to traditional human tactics such as stealth, crafting, and conventional weaponry.

As a result, the gameplay may feel lacklustre compared to those used to games such as Uncharted or Red Dead Redemption however that calculating gameplay only serves to add to that tense atmosphere. Everything from crafting and interacting are all done in real time which makes every action deliberate and urgent. Scavenging can be time consuming but is quite necessary to survive in this harsh world. This is especially true for harder game modes such as “Hard” and “Survivor” modes where supplies are scarce. From bullets, to alcohol, to rags and tape, everything you collect has purpose and how you use these tools is how Naughty Dog gives its players freedom. What was slightly disappointing was the lack of variety the crafting can be used for late game but that is a small complaint compared to the realistic gameplay the Last of Us offers.

Overall the game seems designed for older players, but as a teenager myself, I can recommend The Last of Us to any players looking for a good narrative, so long as they are mature enough to handle the dark themes the Last of Us deals with. Don’t go in a slave to expectations and I can guarantee you will go out with your emotional strings tugged, and a gaming experience unforgettable.

And the game ended perfectly.
  101. Oct 11, 2013
    So far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was aSo far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was a heart-breaker. The reason I proceeded to reviewing The Last of Us despite not having finished the game yet is because I've seen what I needed to see. It is one of those games that grabbed my attention throughout my game-time. Will possibly be one of the best games I played of all the video games I've played. Collapse

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]