• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Aug 13, 2013
    Excellent combination of story and game. Great characters with professional voices. Diverse scenarios that are not easily predictable.( Avoid the spoilers if you can.)
    I do not play many games, but this is the best game I have played.
  2. Aug 14, 2013
    I don't even know where to start with The Last of Us. From its brutal combat, amazingly immersive story and world, The Last of Us is superb. I was really disappointed when I realized that my nearest Gamestop wasn't having a midnight release for this game so I just picked it up the next day right when they opened. I rushed home slapped it in my PlayStation and started my journey. Let meI don't even know where to start with The Last of Us. From its brutal combat, amazingly immersive story and world, The Last of Us is superb. I was really disappointed when I realized that my nearest Gamestop wasn't having a midnight release for this game so I just picked it up the next day right when they opened. I rushed home slapped it in my PlayStation and started my journey. Let me tell you.. that journey won't be soon forgotten. I will admit the game isn't "flawless" it has some small bugs and glitches here and there but those can't and won't take you out of game and stop you from enjoying it. It has a pretty lengthy story, about 12-14 hours. Aside from that you have multiplayer. This multiplayer suits the game well, its tense, fun, and strategic. You pick a faction Hunter or Fireflies. Once you do that you embark on a 12 week adventure that has you trying to keep your clan safe and healthy. Occasionally there will be events that come up that have the chance to take out a certain percentage of your clan, it could vary from 25% to a brutal 100%. If you fail an event that happens to be 100% everybody dies and you are forced to restart. So overall The Last of Us is a title that YOU, as a PlayStation 3 owner, need to own. I give The Last of Us a 10 out 10 Expand
  3. Aug 15, 2013
    Where do I start?
    This game is phenomenal, expect to get attached to the characters from the very start until the very end.
    The last of us is set in a post-apocalypse world where a fungus infection has wiped out 60% of humanity. You play as Joel, a survivor who is on a journey with a girl called Ellie. The environment and atmosphere is truly amazing and you can actually feel the bond
    Where do I start?
    You play as Joel, a survivor who is on a journey with a girl called Ellie. The environment and atmosphere is truly amazing and you can actually feel the bond between the characters as you progress in the game. This game is by far the best game in this console generation, until GTA V comes out at least.
  4. Aug 19, 2013
    Naughty Dog doesn't make trash. In SCE the are best. Irrefutable proof- The Last of Us. TLoU is perfect game. I don't know what to say else. You should buy PS3 for it.
  5. Aug 19, 2013
    Let me start by prefacing this to say I don't believe this game is perfect. It has it's flaws, but giving it a perfect score doesn't mean that it's perfect, rather that I just couldn't add anything else to it, within reason, to make it even better.

This game has a superb story, as long as you like apocalyptic games. It is appropriate for the setting and is not as predictable as many imply. It's not simply a rehash of a zombie game.

It has about the best graphics you can find on a PS3 game. Some people complain about it having no 1080p support, but that's irrelevant. Getting it to render at a higher resolution than 720p would mean losing detail given that rendering power is limited. Environments are lifelike and they look like an art masterpiece.

Animation is beautifully done, as well as voice acting. They match like you couldn't believe it. You'll feel like the characters are real.

Game-play is completely appropriate to the setting, it feels and behaves like the person handling the gun isn't a gun expert, and it should feel like that, even if it can feel frustrating some times. It feels intended, especially considering the amount of thought that went into the other areas.

I could go on and on regarding the other aspects. However, in the end this game isn't about providing the best mechanics or game-play you can find, there are other games for that. It's about delivering a best-in-class cinematic experience, and if you can accept that, this will probably be one of the best games you've ever played.

I bought a PS3 for this game, and this game only, and I'm keeping it to be able to relive this experience in the future.
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    I have been a Sony fanboy since the launch of the ps2. I loved my PS2 when I got it, from tony hawk to ratchet and clank and let's not forget Jak and Daxter. So when the time came for the ps3 I was beyond excited. But honestly there was never really anything that made me feel I needed to buy one. Not until Uncharted 3 which is when I decided to get one. After that I didn't really knowI have been a Sony fanboy since the launch of the ps2. I loved my PS2 when I got it, from tony hawk to ratchet and clank and let's not forget Jak and Daxter. So when the time came for the ps3 I was beyond excited. But honestly there was never really anything that made me feel I needed to buy one. Not until Uncharted 3 which is when I decided to get one. After that I didn't really know what to get other than old games I wanted to play but never did, but then there was The Last of Us. Not only is it a great game, but it makes you feel great to call yourself a gamer, Naughty Dog really know how to make a game that is thank you to their fans. From gameplay, to story, yo acting this game has it all! I can't recommend it enough! It makes me happy to call myself a Sony fanboy! Expand
  7. Aug 21, 2013
    Easily my favourite game and my game of the year for this year and also my third favourite game of all time just getting bumped out by the walking dead and skyrim
  8. Dec 15, 2013
    The storyline for this game is amazing and I loved it! The multilayer is ok but, not the best, it needs zombies it's a damn ZOMBIE GAME for crying out loud!!!!!
  9. Jan 29, 2014
    By the time I had put down the controller, I felt a degree of satisfaction I haven't gotten from a game in a long time.

Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us" was released as a PlayStation 3 exclusive back in spring 2013, but I would have believed it if someone told me it came out today. The game looks beautiful, and does a great job in appearing almost realistic. The cinematics are an ever further step, with amazing facial designs and lighting effects. These characters really do come to life. The environments are well designed, with a lot of attention to detail. Every nook and cranny is fully explore-able, and often has a goody or two in the form of resources, collectibles, and notes. It's clear that a lot of love and care went into this game. Even without anything to pick up, exploring the areas in it of itself is exciting. Walking into a side room to find a skeleton cowering in the corner puts dark images in your head. Writings on the walls and destruction of objects continue to add to the ambiance. The anticipation and dread of finding out what's on the other side of a door is enough to send shivers down your spine.

The enemies are well designed too. Seeing a man with his head split in half while he hobbles towards you is horrifying too say the least. Alerting a horde of them by mistake is frightening, and the panic they cause you is genuine. Thankfully, no two zombies look the same. They all have different clothes, and more importantly, differently mangled and distorted bodies. Most notable is the head, which could still look normal and intact, or it could be a disgusting mess of fungus and blood. It's a very big relief , since fighting the same enemy over and over again can be a major drag. The human enemies look great as well, but they just can't compare to the sight of a clicker running right at you.

My first impressions of the game, however, were not that great. Without a doubt, the weakest part of The Last of Us is the mechanics. During the first hour or two, that becomes very apparent.There are some great moments when you feel really tense and excited, but those don't come until much later. Shooting is not the smoothest, especially since the early gun is not very good. However, it does improve, and you continue to find more weapons, which helps to freshen up the combat and keep it from feeling repetitive. It also took a while for me to get the hang of the stealth system, and I often found myself wishing it was more like Hitman's. I really was not hooked during the opening hours. I wasn't having fun going down these very linear segments with what I felt was a broken stealth system. After all, why even bother sneaking when you can just rush the enemy and beat them down? I also didn't see what made this game so special. It seemed like just another zombie apocalypse game, which I am pretty sick of these days. Luckily, the game finally picked up once you started to meet more characters and the game opened up a little bit. The levels themselves are still linear, but there's plenty of extra space to explore, which is one of the game's greatest strengths. The stealth also grew on me quite substantially, and never really caused me much problem afterwards.

It's pretty obvious that the narrative is the high point of the game. The voice actors deserve credit because they all did a fantastic job. It was a movie-like quality performance by each one, especially Troy Baker as Joel. The story really was what made me keep playing. I wanted to see more of the world, read about what happened to the previous inhabitants, and learn more about the outbreak. On the surface, yes, it is just another clichéd zombie story that we've all heard a million times. But as you dive deeper, you see that Naughty Dog does so much more with it. They know exactly how to make you feel the characters's pain, and they don't pull their punches. It's truly some of the greatest writing in a video game.

My final point is about the experience as a whole. Some people might argue that it is more of a movie than a game, and even that simply watching the cutscenes provides the same experience. They could not be more wrong. The only real way to fully enjoy The Last of Us is by playing it. A movie equivalent would not be the same. By playing it, you are enabled to create a special connection to the characters, one that cannot be replicated by simply watching alone. The game may be presentation heavy, but it is still a game at it's core.

In short, The Last of Us is a phenomenal game that really should be played by anyone who can. I went in with expectations that it would be overrated, but it really is something special. Do not hesitate to pick this one up.
  10. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is perfect. The story is as engrossing and compelling as the best TV series and books and the simple interface reflects perfectly the setting of the game and the atmosphere within which you are consumed. Phenomenal game. Buy a console if you have to just to play this game.
  11. Sep 1, 2013
    A wonderful adventure with a compelling attitude! You'll be driven from start to finish with the awesome gameplay, and intense cinematic's! If you loved the Uncharted series, then this game is right up your alley bringing full ammunition of fun and excitement!
  12. Sep 2, 2013
    Esse jogo simplesmente perfeito, jogo vídeo game desde o início da década de 90, já vi várias obras primas no mundo dos games, mas The Last Of Us conseguiu me surpreender e trouxe de volta a emoção de jogar um Survival Horror de primeira grandeza. Perfect Game, no words!!!
  13. Jan 14, 2014
    Naughty Dog makes good games. Really good games. The Last of Us premise sounded fairly basic, and not something I usually go for: post-apocalyptic zombies vs regular people. Of course, they had a new twist--the zombies were victims of a fungal brain infection. Still not enough I would likely have tried it ... Except these are the people who made the Uncharted games.

Graphics: Gorgeous.

Graphics:
    Gorgeous. A dirty, post-apocalyptic world never looked so good. Seriously, the shadows and reflections are stunning.

Story:
    Let's just say I was still thinking about the ending days later. The characters are fully realized, with unique and compelling personalities, true to themselves. Both protagonists have moments when you might not even like them, but you always kind of love them. You feel them. Especially, Ellie, who is surprisingly sassy.

Gameplay:
    Heavy focus on stealth, with plenty of combat and a few environmental puzzles, though nothing as deep as Uncharted. Everything performs so smoothly the control scheme disappears. You can almost forget you're playing a game.

Because resources like ammo are scarce, you're always trying to deal with or avoid enemies in quiet ways without alerting them. Like silent takedowns, which are a real pleasure, and take just long enough to make you nervous someone's buddy will spot you doing it.

There are also some upgrades available, both to your character, and even more fun, to your individual weapons. You can increase the clip capacity, reload speed, and so forth. A system that carries over into Newgame +, which I actually tried out a bit just to continue enjoying the enhancement system.

Overall 10/10
  14. Dec 25, 2013
    I'd say this game is a masterpiece, and I'd accept the critique. But I won't. This isn't a game. It's an experience.
    The Last of Us is out of this world. Number one ever. My favorite game of all times. It's just so incredible. I can't put my feelings into words.
  15. Dec 30, 2013
    Sensational !......I just created an account to give my feedback on this game. I will rather describe this in few words than a long review.
    Sensational/ Outstanding/ master of masterpieces/ Amazing Awesome.
  16. Mar 13, 2014
    Is surprising the awesomeness of this game. The characters, the plot, the gameplay, the graphics, the scenario and all in this game are great. Worth every single penny that you spend in this game. The Last of Us is a masterpiece!
  17. Dec 4, 2013
    By far, the best game of this generation. The Last Of Us provides a gripping story with very realistic and likable characters.
    One really thing that really sets The Last Of Us apart from Naughty Dogs past creations, is The Last Of Us Use of grotesque violence. But is enjoyable and satisfying every step of the way.

Anyways, shut up, take out your wallet, and buy this game!
  18. Dec 23, 2013
    This is the best game I ever played on PS3. Great atmosphere and some incredible voice acting. The scene with the giraffes is one I will always remember. If you have a PS3, this game is a must-play!
  19. Dec 29, 2013
    Well. It's great game. Must have for every Ps3 owner. Plot is just great Joel and Ellie are most holding in memory characters ever created. Naughty Dog can make awesome games
  20. Dec 30, 2013
    The Last Of Us is not just the best PS3 Game it is the best game ever made
    The Game Has Amazing Story beautiful Graphics it is the easiest 10 i have ever given a game
  21. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is primarily a story telling device, it's about the atmosphere and character interactions. Is it survival horror? Well you're never afraid to die, you're not going to be set back very far. You do have to conserve ammo a little bit and it really helps your enjoyment of the game if you approach situations strategically; while you can pretty much run and gun it you won't findThis game is primarily a story telling device, it's about the atmosphere and character interactions. Is it survival horror? Well you're never afraid to die, you're not going to be set back very far. You do have to conserve ammo a little bit and it really helps your enjoyment of the game if you approach situations strategically; while you can pretty much run and gun it you won't find this way of playing very fun. Remember, this isn't Call of Duty, it isn't a shooting gallery and as long as you don't play it like it is you should have a great experience with this game.

My only criticism is that there isn't enough variety in the scrap you can salvage and utilise, there's surely only so many pairs of broken scissors in the world? And that's it, that's all the criticism I have.
  22. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that has outstanding depth and character development, along with a fantastic story, questionable decisions, and towards the end, an almost seemingly unethical turn around for the entire game. Just to point out, I have used the spoilers disclaimer, and I rarely use it; this review does contain some pretty big spoilers, so just in case you disputed the disclaimer, please bear that in mind.

So, to start with, the game opens with an incredibly emotional scenario; starting off as Joel's daughter, you end up caught in an escalating event, an incredibly dramatic set up for the entire story. Passing through the town, and into the city, the game throws some incredibly elaborate (and some rather subtle) set pieces that truly drag you deep into the catastrophe. This immersion is something which should be plentiful nowadays, unfortunately isn't. It really shows how far Naughty Dog have come since their debut with Crash Bandicoot. The intro makes you think, and feel, as though you are truly there.

The game itself is set twenty years later, beginning in a tight quarantine zone. Throughout the game, you will experience a plethora of various environments; cityscapes, suburbs, sewers, city outskirts and forests, and small towns. Whilst the most commonplace is downtown cities, the game definitely mixes it up with varied and beautifully detailed areas, which definitely keep the game fresh.

Throughout the game, Joel and Ellie (a young girl who seems to hold the key to immunity to the disease) develop in ways I personally rarely see in games, with exception to Spec Ops; The Line. Several decisions they make could be questioned on their necessity, and towards the end, Joel becomes something almost barbaric. This character development should be noted, as it begins to blur the line as to who the bad guys REALLY are. At the end of the game, Joel makes probably the most controversial decision in the entire game; killing those that could be considered the saviours of mankind, all to protect Ellie. Whether this move could be considered good or evil is far from difficult, and leaves the player thinking hard, long after the game is over.

In terms of gameplay, the survival aspects are fantastic, the combat brutal (bullet shots FEEL like bullet shots, each taking a huge impact on the player), and overall, keeps you on the edge at all times. Expect to die a lot, but also to feel satisfied should you make it through. This game is not for the faint of heart, but giving you the option of either stealth or guns blazing is something which can involve a far greater range of audience. Expect, however, to have to perform both, as supplies are scarce, and complete stealth throughout the entire game is expected only of true gaming ninjas. Prepare to put up a fight.

Overall, the game is fantastic and diverse, with occasional break points, where you are free to just wander around and take in each environment, gathering supplies for further confrontation. Combat is, of course, plentiful, and this game suits those looking for both a good story, and a game that provides decent stealth and survival aspects on the side. Should those meet your needs, buy this game. It's far beyond worth it. I haven't yet touched multiplayer, but in the singleplayer alone, this game is well deserving of a 10/10.

Naughty Dog have done it again.
  23. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a game this is. From start to finish this game grips and excites you. It's all about survival you can't help but get right into the storyline as the characters are just average normal people it's so easy to relate to them and put yourself in that situation.

The graphics, the locations, the backdrop, the noises, the music has all been carefully put together and is totally in sync with each other. The atmosphere is frightening with strange noises or footsteps echoing around the corner.

No negatives at all to speak of (wish the storyline lasted longer as it is so good is the only thing). This game is close to perfection and totally unique. Easily the game of the year and just as easily in my top 10 of all time games as it is so different from the standard RPG/FPS/Adventure games out there. Ignore the handful of negative comments about tiny irrelevant details. THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Bravo Naughty Dog 9.5/10
  24. Jan 11, 2014
    Naughty Bear's Left 4 Dead 3 is a stellar game that should get attention from every video game fanatic. You fight your way through necromorphs and the rebel alliance along with your AI partner Ellen Page,
  25. Jan 2, 2014
    This,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage thatThis,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage that him and Ellie grow over the course of this magnificent game. The detail here is mind blowing it pushes the PS3 to the limit,i'm glad i chose this console over the XBOX 360 becuase even though if i had an XBOX 360 i would go out my way and buy a PS3 and this game,and i would play it over and over,but i have already done that and i saved some money also.All pf this was based on the Single Player,now onto the MP or what it's called in the menu 'Factions'.This game wouldn't need that game mode,it would still get those 10/10's 5/5's and 100./100's but with that stealth/survivor mode it makes the game so more fun and adds much replay value.In that mode you start with nearly nothing and it makes you open little red tool boxes with the tools part and crafting materials so you can help your team win.You going have to choose between the rebellion side and the Firefly side which are mentioned in the single player and Joel must help the firefly leader to deliver a 'Package'.But in here you don't come close to do stuff like that,you have your own 'clan' that you must need to feed and expand by doing good in your matches and then you collect 'food' to make sure your survivors are healthy well fed and not hungry.

If you are wanting to buy this masterpiece of a game i recommend doing it now,this moment,run.
    And if you have an XBOX buy a ps3 and this game or buy the game and go to a friend that has a ps3 push him out the way and play it.
  26. Jan 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this review by making a bold statement. The Last of Us is the best PlayStation 3 game you will ever play. The timing of this game's release, a few months before the PlayStation 4 is no co-incidence. The PS3 has had a good run, but developers have finally reached the limit with the quality of gaming they can produce, but what a way to finish.

The Last of Us is set in

The Last of Us is set in the U.S.A. after the cordyceps infection has ravaged the human race, turning humans into vicious, aggressive, almost rabid-like creatures. The game follows the story of Joel, as he attempts to smuggle Ellie, who is immune to the disease, across the country to safety, with plenty of surprises on the way (I'm being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers). The plot almost resembles a movie script rather than a video game; you'll understand if you've played the game. The ending (again without giving away any plot details) brilliantly leaves the plot open for a sequel; Sony also recently registered domain names relating to The Last of Us 2 and The Last of Us 3 read into that what you will.

Whilst technically a linear game, The Last of Us is probably as close to an open-world game as a linear can be; exploration, strategy and resources play a key part in the game. The combat system in The Last of Us is probably as a real a combat experience as you will get on a video game. Much like real-life, resources are very limited and weapons are very powerful. You can't simply hide from enemies and wait for your health to regenerate, instead the player must use health packs, which can be either acquired or created by the player using resources.

The player can use a variety of firearms in the game, ranging from pistols, to shotguns, to hunting rifles. As ammunition is hard to come by, as in reality, players are often better off using melee weapons, such as baseball bats and planks of wood. Both firearms and melee weapons can be upgraded using parts (a resource which can be found).

Resources are one of the most important aspects of The Last of Us, the player can use them as weapons, ammunition, to distract enemies, replenish their health, upgrade weapons or to access certain areas. Resources such as health packs can also be created by crafting raw materials collected by the player.

The player also has the ability to upgrade weapons using collectable tools, and the opportunity to upgrade their character by collecting bottles of pills.

Whilst it's clear that Naughty Dog focused on the single-play, they have included a multiplayer element as well. Like other Naughty Dog games, it's relatively poor compared to the single-player, but The Last of Us' multiplayer, known as Factions, is a good attempt. The multiplayer takes place in the same environment as the game. Players choose one of two Factions, Fireflies (in yellow) and Hunters (in blue). There are no special abilities which are unique to any faction. The player leads a clan of survivors through 12 weeks, gathering supplies in order to advance the clan. Each match counts as one day, and supplies must be gathered to supply the clan; if the necessary supplies aren't gathered then clan members will begin to get hungry, get ill or die. Clan members can then be healed by reaching the required numbers of supplies. The Factions game mode can also be linked to Facebook.

To sum it up, The Last of Us will be, in my opinion, the best PS3 exclusive you will ever play, and possibly the best game you'll ever play on PS3 (the only real game that could compete with it is Grand Theft Auto V). The plot will keep you entertained for hours, and probably more.
  27. Jan 7, 2014
    My favourite single player game of all time.

The story was incredibly addictive, made me never want to put my controller down, and like a good book, I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't playing it.

If you play one game in your lifetime, make it this game.
  28. Jan 15, 2014
    This is the best game ever made since Final Fantasy VII IMO. This should be GOTY and this is top 5 game of all time in my top 10 list !!!. GTA V is overrated and this game is way better.
  29. Jan 16, 2014
    Not for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despairNot for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despair through every moment.

The combat is fantastic and is an example for all 3rd person shooters. Fantastic mechanics, good cover system, and endless possibilities in terms of taking on enemies. The gameplay feels so natural, it is often panic-inducing.

As if the story isn't worth the price tag, the multiplayer is endlessly entertaining. Unlike run-of-the-mill multiplayer experiences (COD for example), this requires teamwork and smart use of resources. It can be a little overwhelming at first. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but after getting acquainted with the single player, it becomes second nature. I tend to burnout on games after 10 hours or so, but The Last of Us is an exception.

Graphics are A+. Can't say anything more.

If you enjoy intense gaming experiences and want something that will stick with you, play this NOW.
  30. Jan 25, 2014
    Mine think its the best game ever my life what i have ever played, i have played in pc many years, now i got ps3 and when i get hands on The Last Of Us its just looks phenomenal, it's masterpiece. I finished game two days ago and in end i realized, how can be game that awesome all if this game is so perfect and beautiful. Mine think its yes the best game ever, seriously.

NaughtyDog has

NaughtyDog has made excellent work agin. I thinking do purchase Post-Pandemic Edition or Survival Edition, probably Survival one. If this game self even cost 300€ i will definitely buy that without think about that. Thants are mine rating of that game.

Also i have allready pre-orded Left Behind SP DLC, cannot wait when 14 come :P
    So now if i see rating overall that game ign/gamespot/eurogamer all give max points.

The Last Of Us - Masterpiece Art of game.
  31. Feb 20, 2014
    Personally I think journey is the best game ever but TLoU comes second and still gets a 10. There were some flaws in the game - invisible sniper anyone???? and there were so many instances where i lost immersion, like ellie and the clickers and how in the ending the game got super hard... ND you should know better!!!!

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of stone. I cried more in the game than in the last harry potter book! People who say games are only for kids or to waste time are stoopid! and should play this game cause they'll realize their backwards views are wrong.

Now i want ND to make a new ip every four years i'm sick of stupid sequels. People read masterpiece books so shouldn't people play masterpiece games over and over???? Think about it.

But anyway obvious goty and snobs who say "OMG isn't on PC" dont deserve to play this masterpiece.
  32. Feb 25, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. Great visuals, great game play value and amazing story line. This also came with one of the best single player D.L.C updates. Would recommend this game to everyone, except twitch shooter junkies and Facebook game players. If you are exempt from these two, and have an intelligence level higher than 50.I.q. then you will love this game.
  33. Feb 27, 2014
    The last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gamingThe last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gaming can be an art form. this is a truly remarkable game. It deserves all the plaudits because it truly is the Greatest game ever made. This game will be remembered for a long long time Expand
  34. Mar 5, 2014
    This will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS asThis will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS as opposed to not actually liking the game itself. The story was actually better than most blockbuster movies you would see these days. If you liked other Naughty Dog titles like Uncharted then you'll love this game. However if you don't usually play anything outside of COD and combat is way more important to you than story/visuals then this may not be for you. Personally I loved it. Expand
  35. Mar 14, 2014
    The Last Of Us is a true gaming marvel. It achieves the pinnacle of story telling along with a fantastic combat system. The game may have a few bugs, like when you're sneaking around infected or hunters, your companions might walk right in front of them or run around the place and not get detected.

I believe this game is at it's best when Joel an Ellie are battling with hunters and covering on another. A moment that made me smile was when I was out of ammo in my guns, Ellie shouted out "Hey, a**hole!" and then threw a brick at him allowing me to run at him and smash his head against the wall.

Naughty Dog have really outdone themselves once again. Even with Uncharted, I got bored of the combat eventually, because it just felt like I was being forced through these repetitive combat sequences to get to the next cut scene. But with The Last Of Us, I didn't feel this was whatsoever. I enjoyed the combat system because it felt fluid and realistic. Every punch of your fist or smack of a metal pipe felt like it had weight to it. I especially liked how after getting shot or hit in the face, Joel's nose or other part of his face might be bleeding.

Each combat (or stealth) sequence also felt unique. Different areas allow for different strategies, will I go up on that balcony and get a vantage point, or will I just sneak by and avoid a confrontation entirely. These are the choices that give this game a feeling of originality.

The Last Of Us is one of the defining game of every generation, it blends immersive combat with a truly great story about a middle aged man and a teenage girl crossing the United States of America which has been desolated by an infection.
  36. Mar 15, 2014
    GOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources areGOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources are scarce, Ellie is a good partner, got to play as Ellie, fun multiplayer in which you also have to be cautious, one of the creepiest boss battles ever, and a nice ending

BAD: capped at 720P, I did not have the need to get every single collectible

FINAL VERDICT: Games like this makes people think why we need a new console generation every 7 years. The Last Of Us is easily the best Sony exclusive ever made and one of the top 10 best games ever.
    Worth $60 dollars and worth buying a PS3 just to play it. This game should be played by everyone single gamer.
  37. Mar 16, 2014
    It's hard to find words that can describe this game, but all i can say is wow. This game is pure brilliant and by far the best game that i have ever played. If you are thinking of getting this game - do. I can't recommend it enough and you will not regret buying it.
  38. Mar 18, 2014
    I bought my PS3 for GTA V. During the waiting period (for its release) I went into a game store where I found some PS3 games. I looked at The Last of Us, having never seen it before, and I liked the cover art, so I figured, why the heck not. Take a chance, I thought. I bought it. And it was one of the best decisions in my life.

I completed the game three times already and I'm ready to

I completed the game three times already and I'm ready to begin playing it for the fourth time. This game is the definition of addiction. I can't get enough of the excellent story, interesting world and remarkable characters this game is offering. Joel and Ellie are absolutely great. Ellie is actually my favourite game character ever. And I played a lot of games, trust me.

The soundtrack is, in my opinion, one of the best game soundtracks ever. The songs composed by Gustavo Santaolalla are absolutely touching and will remain in your head long after finishing the game. In my case, I think they'll always remain in my head. It's true art.

This is the only game which I rated 7/7 in my personal notebook (yes, I rate games out of 7, don't ask!). Out of hundreds and hundreds of games this one just got me good. So if you are considering buying it... if you like great story, great gameplay, great atmosphere, great characters, great music, great visuals, do it. You won't regret it. I swear.

So in the end I liked The Last of Us better than GTA V, the game which I bought my console for.

Thank you Naughty Dog for creating this masterpiece.
    Patrick
  39. Mar 30, 2014
    What hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all theWhat hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all the praise it's been getting. The multiplayer is fantastic and is a breath of fresh air for Battlefield or CoD fans. If you own a PS3, there is no reason that you shouldn't buy this game, it's a masterpiece. Expand
  40. Mar 23, 2014
    If I could give this game an 11 out of 10 then I would. In terms of graphics, story, gameplay and mechanics this masterpiece is lightyears ahead of anything out there at the moment. Currently on my 7th playthrough and it hasn't lost one bit of thrill. An absolute must buy if you have a PS3. If you do have a PS3 and not this game then WHAT ARE YOU DOING !!!???
  41. Mar 26, 2014
    Perfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on thatPerfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on that system, but it does. Expand
  42. Mar 24, 2014
    Naughty Dog did it again. They created an awesome game with an awesome storyline, awesome movements, awesome and scary enemies and of course awesome scenarios and graphics. This game is the best.
  43. Mar 28, 2014
    Easily the best game of 2013. The story is one of the most emotional ones out there, the graphics are amazing and the fact it's running on old hardware is also amazing. The multiplayer is good which you usually in single-player based games there bad. If you don't own a ps3 this is a good reason to get one.
  44. Apr 11, 2014
    If you have a PS3 and do not have this masterpiece, I absolutely advise you to... A. Purchase this game now on PS3. or B. Buy this game for PS4 when it releases near summer of this year.

I cannot tell you anything else besides the fact that this game has everything: < Next-gen looking graphics < An amazing story that makes you cry and smile and laugh with Joel and Ellie because you

I cannot tell you anything else besides the fact that this game has everything:
    < Next-gen looking graphics
    < An amazing story that makes you cry and smile and laugh with Joel and Ellie because you feel emotionally attached to them
    < Fluid and intense gameplay
    < Great atmosphere and level design
    < And much more...

GOTY 2013 for me absolutely.
  45. May 20, 2014
    A true masterpiece, a generation defining game, and one of the best games you'll ever get to play.
    The Last Of Us is the culmination of the seventh generation of consoles and one of the best games ever made in history, it's amazing story makes you get attached to Ellie and Joel in a way that you just can't imagine, and it has some of the most engaging and realistic gameplay a game has ever had.

In 25 years from now it will still be played and remembered as a cult video game like no other.
  46. Apr 23, 2014
    Absolutely superb. Fantastic, emotional and engaging story. Very smooth combat with smart enemies so you have to think on your plan of attack. Graphics are mindblowing with very detailed and realistic looking characters and environments. Overall I believe that this is one of the best games of all time. 10/10
  47. May 22, 2014
    What makes this a Naughty Dog game and not simply a retread is the studio's use of actors, music, environments, characters, and gameplay. Everything here flows together beautifully much like the paintings of Leonardo da Vinci.
  48. Jul 15, 2014
    It astonishes me with amount of people who dislike this game. Although, I can agree it's not for everyone, it's still a fantastic game.

The gameplay is simple, but it has a lot of variety and allows different ways to approach levels. You can sneak past while throwing a bottle or brick to distract your enemies, or you can run through the level shooting and beating the crap out of enemies. Yes, its not like Metal Gear or Deus Ex, but that's because it's not supposed to be.

The Last Of Us has a simple, yet effective story with beautiful and immerse levels. You play as Joel. He'sin his early forties (or so I estimated) twenty years after the apocalypse started. You are then given your objective with escorting Ellie through a run down city. Simple. I know, but as you progress the story becomes more of a more human and emotional story.

Voice acting is superb. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson play the characters of Joel and Ellie quite well.

The multiplayer is definitely amazing. It takes all the in game elements of the single player, and adds it to the multiplayer. Note that teamwork is key to survival.

In conclusion The Last Of Us is a beautifully, immerse game, with superb characters, fun gameplay, and a emotional tale told well. It's not for everybody, but if you're a fan of Naughty Dog, then you'll love this masterpiece. Also you can skip cut-scenes if they aren't for you.
  49. Nov 22, 2014
    It was a bit strange. I started the game on and it was Uncharted. I played through it, and it was nothing like Uncharted. It was a game world I wanted to be in (not literally of course). But while I was playing it, I felt like I was there. It hit home with me - the world, the characters, the places, the enemies... I was missing such gaming qualities for so many years and I was able toIt was a bit strange. I started the game on and it was Uncharted. I played through it, and it was nothing like Uncharted. It was a game world I wanted to be in (not literally of course). But while I was playing it, I felt like I was there. It hit home with me - the world, the characters, the places, the enemies... I was missing such gaming qualities for so many years and I was able to realized that just now.
    For me, though, the first few hours wasn't very good. Somewhere in the 30% progress in the game, I was thinking about abandoning it as I was not even hooked and mostly annoyed... Am I a thankful I didn't. Not quite sure what exactly did it, but being on the verge of hating the game, I was subconsciously starting to fall in love with it. And there are some other games I would give 10/10, but this one, in addition, is something quite special. And I do miss it quite a lot.
  50. Nov 22, 2014
    A true masterpiece on every level. Great story, wonderful characters, perfect voice acting, intense combat, fun multiplayer, beautiful graphics, difficult enemies, etc. etc. There is so much this game does good that it is hard to find any flaws in a otherwise perfect game. It is a game that will be remembered and played for generations. This game isn't for everyone though, so if you can'tA true masterpiece on every level. Great story, wonderful characters, perfect voice acting, intense combat, fun multiplayer, beautiful graphics, difficult enemies, etc. etc. There is so much this game does good that it is hard to find any flaws in a otherwise perfect game. It is a game that will be remembered and played for generations. This game isn't for everyone though, so if you can't appreciate a game focusing on story rather then gameplay then this isn't for you. Expand
  51. Nov 19, 2014
    If you own a ps3. You NEED this game. The replay value is questionable, online multiplayer is usually fun, but has some network connection flaws. The game itself is perfectly crafted.
  52. Nov 21, 2014
    this game is amazing it succeeds in every aspect possible (graphics,sound,story,gameplay,etc). the story is great and the characters and voice acting are among the best i have ever seen in a videogame. if you own a ps3 or ps4 you have to buy this game is the best seventh generation game and currently the best game in the eight generation
  53. Jun 18, 2013
    A must have if you own a PS3. 9.5/10
    A must have if you own a PS3. 9.5/10
    One of the best games I have ever played but for a game to be given a 10/10, it must be completely flawless. When the AI (Tess, Ellie etc) are sprinting around when you're trying to be sneaky, running into clickers and runners it kind of takes away from the immersion, this is the only thing I dislike about this game. If Metacritic allowed 0.5 ratings I would have given it a 9.5 because this otherwise major flaw is tiny in comparison to the beautiful world you are thrown in to as you watch the relationship between Ellie and Joel develop. Absolutely beautiful game.
  54. Jun 25, 2013
    SPOILER FREE If you don't own a PS3 i would buy one just for this game alone its the best game this generation has to offer. The graphics a superb beyond anything i have seen so far on PS3 the story is gripping and intense it really draws you in from start to finish, the characters are believable and the voice acting is amazing a lot of hard work has gone into this game and you can tell.SPOILER FREE If you don't own a PS3 i would buy one just for this game alone its the best game this generation has to offer. The graphics a superb beyond anything i have seen so far on PS3 the story is gripping and intense it really draws you in from start to finish, the characters are believable and the voice acting is amazing a lot of hard work has gone into this game and you can tell. The only thing i can find pick fault at is the girl Ellie that accompany's you through the whole game can block the way for you if your wanting to go through a door or up stairs est. Also the multi-player isn't bad but the single player is big and long enough so the multi-player doesn't really matter. All in all The Last Of Us is a great game i just hope its not The Last we hear of them. Expand
  55. ERB
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a good game and an interesting story.
  56. Jun 17, 2013
    Naughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in meNaughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in me still.

Right from the beginning it is apparent how much work went into this masterpiece. Every area, every object and every character is rendered in exquisite detail. Small things like a reflection in a glossy portrait to a bandage you freshly placed on a wounded body all add up to an experience that feels ultimately...real. You feel the desperation of this broken world .

To complement this you are given, in true Naughty Dog fashion, an amazing cast of characters. Every character is unique with his or her own circumstances. You come to like character and hate them almost immediately. Joel and Ellie in particular portray a natural chemistry that you rarely see even in cinema. Ashley Johnson's performance of Ellie sinks it home, showing you just how amazing mo-cap can be.

Almost overshadowing these strong points is a breathtaking score by Gustavo Santaolalla. Naughty Dog could not have picked a better composer. Gustavo's acoustic guitar chills you to the bone and each track is ultimate crafted to deliver each scene perfectly. The sound effects as well help blur the lines between reality and fantasy. The clicking sounds of a Clicker serves as an awesome example of small sound effects causing real emotion. You will panic. A lot.

Overall it is just really difficult to put words into what this game makes you feel. If you have a PS3 and have not played this game, you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if it doesn't affect you the same way it has me there is no denying the experience being worthwhile. Do it.
  57. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played, up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1,3,4 Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog devs dont mess around and they really take their job very serious, everything about this game excels in production value.

A very touching story that kept me caring for the 2 main characters, I really was able to feel what they were going thru, the immersion on this game is phenomenal, thanks to the state of the art graphics, motion capture, art direction, gameplay mechanics and story driven run through a post apocalyptic US.

The visceral action although very violent, never over the top, perfectly balance as it should be in the real world, without dragging it too much into reality. You really feel the tension with each encounter. The tension doesnt stop there of course, the fact that you really have to preserve ammo and make every shot count is and awesome game design decision. It forces you to explore, and really use strategic approaches to every situation, do you take down every one using stealth, do you avoid the confrontation and sneak past them, or do you go gun blazing. Either way you choose you will have to play smart and keep all your weapons loaded at all times, a split second can really mean the difference between dying or surviving.

So much more to say about this game, but I would have to write a 10 page essay for that, in short The Last Of Us is a game we only get once every generation, the quality of the story, gameplay and graphics are superb, if youre a fan of stealth, action, survival, story driven games, this is the one for you.
  58. Jun 28, 2013
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)

This game was spectacular. I have not play The Walking Dead, but from what I've heard the two are very similar in the ways they present their story. After saying that, play this game on hard if you want the true survival feel which I believe this game needs to truly make an impact on the player. I normally don't get immersed in too many games' stories, but by playing this game on hard I found it really threw me into the game's atmosphere.

Story: 10
    Yes the story progresses slowly at first, it doesn't throw you into the action like a Call of Duty or Resident Evil game and that is a very good thing. This does not mean that the game's story is slow throughout, because it is not. The games story progresses at the perfect pace for a game such as this. The attachment you feel to the characters is perfect, and that is all I can say without dropping spoilers, but there are numerous times where you really feel for the characters.

Environment: 10
    The world of The Last of Us is almost a character of itself. The city sort of reclaiming itself after humanity has been removed is beautifully done. The game does not throw you into endless dark rooms with scary lighting just to impose forced horror elements, it actually presents a beautiful city that has its dark moments areas. When you talk through parts of the city and you see hints of civilization that used to be there, it really hits home that this is a post apocalyptic type environment. The city is beautiful amid all of the chaos and destruction.

Combat: 9
    The only reason I'm giving the combat a 9 and not a 10, is because at some points you feel as though you are going through the motions of eliminating the infected as you would normally eliminate them. I can't even provide a way for them to improve upon it, it just felt like it was missing something and I can't put my finger on what that would be.

Soundtrack: 10
    The minimalistic soundtrack to this game with the subtle guitar riffs was absolutely perfect. There isn't really much else I can say about it, because its just perfect.

Graphics: 9
    Yes, this game's graphics are good for PS3 standards. However while playing the game it becomes relatively evident that the PS3 is coming up on being six and a half years old. That is not saying the engine is bad, the lighting is phenomenal, the game engine is great, but there are times where the graphics have some odd noticeable outdated issues. Maybe its because this game came out after E3 and all the new flashy graphics games coming out.

In conclusion, I was honestly not a huge fan of the Uncharted series because it really just felt like Tomb Raider with more combat so I'm not jumping on the Naughty Dog bandwagon here. Capcom went on record saying the survival horror franchise was a dying game concept. Coming from an avid player of the survival horror franchise games, this game redefined the survival horror experience in an entirely new light for me and sort of says "your move capcom".
  59. Jun 15, 2013
    2 words: the story. This is probably the single best storyline I'very ever experienced in a videogame. The story is without a doubt what makes this game great. The character depth is unparalleled... the voice acting is full of emotion. It just works. And then there's the visuals. Say what you like, but there aren't any console games who's graphics and overall atmosphere can surpass The2 words: the story. This is probably the single best storyline I'very ever experienced in a videogame. The story is without a doubt what makes this game great. The character depth is unparalleled... the voice acting is full of emotion. It just works. And then there's the visuals. Say what you like, but there aren't any console games who's graphics and overall atmosphere can surpass The Last of Us. And finally the gameplay... it's realistic. Personally, I thoroughly enjoy the desperation of it allnand how challenging it can be. If you don't like it, I suppose I can understand why, its Nothing shockingly new. For me though, the depth of this story and the polished feel of the game cannot be anything less than a 9.5/10 Expand
  60. Jun 15, 2013
    Unbeliveable beginning Then they shock me again. Only played for about 3 hours and I'm already impressed. Very brutal, and I love it, Bet you see this on the news that its why the whole world is killing. But we know better. Just buy the game you won't regret it.
  61. Jun 19, 2013
    this game has a excellent scene and very good sound and gameplay and the best graphic i have ever seen. i think Naughty Dog makes the best games in all over the over
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    Perfect. Gameplay, multiplayer, graphics, story all 10/10.
    Perfect. Gameplay, multiplayer, graphics, story all 10/10.
    Even though the PS3's at the end of its lifetime, the graphical capabilities still surprises me. With the PS4 'round the corner, The Last of Us will make that wait much easier... Combat's perfect, scavenge what you can and build what you need before your next battle against the mushroom-headed infected. I have never been so indulged into a world, story and lore since The Elder Scrolls (which is a major achievement for a long time TES fan). Multiplayer isn't the shine of this game, nor is it Naughty Dog's main aim; but it doesn't feel like an afterthought cannot say too much, but it uses a few mechanics from the story mode over to MP, like building items. Sound astounds me. Puts me on the edge of my seat at all times. Clickers are scary, strong and gives the game an eerie atmosphere. I won't ramble on anymore, just buy it!. Certainly game of the year for me. This is not 'Uncharted with guns' for all them critics, and does not get boring.
  63. Jun 16, 2013
    I've just created an account to give an honest review of this game, I felt the need to spread the love and praise of this game. It truly IS the masterpiece everyone is telling you it is. I picked it up day one and have since gotten through my first of many playthroughs. The story is drama perfection. It feels completely organic never hammed up or forced upon you. The subtlety is the trueI've just created an account to give an honest review of this game, I felt the need to spread the love and praise of this game. It truly IS the masterpiece everyone is telling you it is. I picked it up day one and have since gotten through my first of many playthroughs. The story is drama perfection. It feels completely organic never hammed up or forced upon you. The subtlety is the true beauty of this game the way the environments lighting and dialogue convey tension, emotion and the gravity of the situation. I was literally jumping at my Tv when I feared for the characters lives. The gameplay is simple survival. Every shot counts, stealth is king and taking no prisoners leaving no one to come after you all hammer home the direness that the world has fallen into, where every moment may be cut short by infected or a lead pipe across the face. Naughty Dog does not glamorize violence, or collecting ladders to climb. It is a love-note to realism in video games. Everywhere You go tells a story if You're observant enough to read them nothing is in vain nothing is pointless filler. Everything has purpose everything means something. Switching direction to address not anything about the game but people reviewing it.

Whatever faults others have found that i've read in other reviews critic and user are, to put it bluntly untrue. I suspect they nit-picked the game to death to rebel against the generally incredible praise. For whatever morbid satisfaction having a different opinion from anyone else would hold. A few of the things I've read are downright lies. I.e. a user reviewer attacked the A.i. saying your companions would make too much noise screwing him over. Which is funny because enemies don't even register your companions when You're sneaking. Which is a little odd because You can have ellie basically cuddling a hunter. But I cannot count this against the game because having to sneak about and account for an A.I. You have no control over would botch several areas of the game directly or indirectly... back on topic. I've read that the graphics aren't that great.(****) or the voice acting is so-so(****) or the story is mediocre(****) This game from a technical perspective is a masterpiece. the voice acting WILL make you tear up once or twice. you WILL care about these characters unless you have a heart of stone. And the story WILL grip you. The world will immerse You and the enemies will terrify you. Enemy A.i. is competent and cunning to boot. Infected have human hearts and minds deep inside of them and are horrifying to just sit unnoticed and observe them jerk and twitch about sobbing, mumbling, trying to form words............ I should end this review now, but I could easily go on forever. In closing the last of us is magnificent poignant subtle beautiful and immersive, easily the best exclusive and best game of this generation.
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    I have no idea why this game has so many bad reviews, I believe this is game of the year, the story is amazing, the graphics are good too, and the gameplay is unbelievable. This game brings you through so many emotions, it has a little bit of every thing to it. It's scary, it's funny, it's violent, it's tense, the list keeps going on and on. The immersion levels are just spectacular, fromI have no idea why this game has so many bad reviews, I believe this is game of the year, the story is amazing, the graphics are good too, and the gameplay is unbelievable. This game brings you through so many emotions, it has a little bit of every thing to it. It's scary, it's funny, it's violent, it's tense, the list keeps going on and on. The immersion levels are just spectacular, from characters animations, to the detail in notes you can find scattered across the world. The multiplayer is interesting, it's fun but also needs strategy to win. All in all, this game truly deserves a 10/10. Expand
  65. Jun 18, 2013
    Amazing game, Naughty Dog really captures the essence of survival with this game, its tense and full of emotion.
    Presentation: The presentation of the game is outstanding. It's voice actors do a tremendous job, graphics are over par and Naughty Dog always seem to create such cinematic games. 10/10 for presentation
    Story: The game has an amazing story, with a sufficient amount of twists

Story: The game has an amazing story, with a sufficient amount of twists and turns to keep me playing for hours. Its story has a good length. 10/10 for story

Gameplay: The game play in this game surprised me a bit, i went into the game feeling that the combat would take away from the amazing story, but i was mistaken. The combat carries out the tense vibe with gory, brutal kills. the shooting mechanics show similarities with the Uncharted series, however have little differences that make the game so much better. The sway of the hand when aiming for example. Ammo and supplies are also scarce in The Last of Us, which gives more of a survival feel to the game. Another gameplay factor is exploring, there is a ton to explore in the Last of Us. The game play in the Last of Us is outstanding, however the combat may get a bit repetitive for some. 9.5/10 for gameplay.

Multiplayer: This is a division where Naughty Dog doesn't shine usually. However, the Last of Us had such an amazing concept that was carried out and executed perfectly. The combat from the singleplayer comes into the multiplayer unlike in Uncharted and the tense vibe also comes in. I would have liked to see co-op, however the multiplayer suffices. With only 2 game modes for the multiplayer, it can get a bit repetitive. 9/10 for multiplayer

Overall: This game may be the best I have played from this generation, the characters were played perfectly, the story was immersive and gameplay was awesome as well, multiplayer was good as well but had a few bugs and problems here and there. Naughty Dog has failed to disappoint me yet again. 9.7/10 (im rounding up to 10)
  66. Jul 1, 2013
    The best PS3 exclusive videogame I can even say that this is one of the best videogames in the world.There is nothing bad to say about THE LAST OF US!!!!!!!!
  67. Jul 6, 2013
    I've never felt compelled to write a review, but figured I'd make an exception for this game.

First, just to clear the air a bit, I want to point out a few things the game is NOT. It is not Uncharted with zombies, and similarly, it is not a shooter. You can play it that way on the easy setting, and just shoot your way through, but on normal and up be prepared to do some sneaking and running away. It is not a casual, cheerful game. It's depressing, dark, and sometimes walks the fine line between "fun" and "tedious."

Also, just to put it out there, a lot of the negative reviews are by people who clearly haven't played the game, but have just watched a few gameplay clips. Anyone who primarily complains about the game's "puzzles" clearly has just watched a clip but not played the full game; those sequences are a tiny fraction of the overall gameplay. The game is not full of QTEs, but it might look like it does to someone who hasn't played it, as it will tell you which button does what in certain situations. If someone complains that the game is just a shooter, take it with a huge pile of salt or assume that they played it on the easiest setting and just ran through the levels.

So what is the game? IMO it's primarily a stealth game, but in several instances it forces you to fight your way out. But you're almost always outnumbered and you usually don't have a full supply of ammo. If you don't like stealth games, you're probably better off steering clear of the game or renting it. If you try to run in guns blazing, in most cases you'll be outgunned quickly, and if you manage to survive, you run out of ammo before you kill all the enemies. What typically happened for me was that I would take down a few enemies silently before I got spotted, then would fight my way through the rest once they saw me.

The basic mechanic of the game is cover based stealth; hide behind stuff, and make sure the enemies don't have line of sight. You have a "listen mode" which basically lets you see through walls if the enemy is making noise, so you can keep track of them. If you catch them unaware, you can take them down with a long strangle move or with a shiv (if you have one). If they see you, you can still take them down, but it will alert other enemies nearby. Also, Joel is generally not a very good shot as his arm wobbles, so its in your best interest not to rely on shooting (at least until you can upgrade).

The story and characters are what drives the game, both figuratively and literally. I can't say much without spoiling it, but if you don't care about the characters, you probably won't enjoy the game. The tone of the game is oppressive and depressing, and thoughout the game I had a sinking feeling that something horrible was about to happen. And sometimes it did happen. There are few bright spots in the game. This unending depression makes it hard to move forward in the game and at times makes it hard to play. But the characters and their story motivated me to keep going. If you don't like the characters (or don't pay attention) you may reach a point where you just don't want to play anymore. Especially since some parts of the game are really difficult. IMO the overall story is worth the effort, and the overall pay off I think is comparable to completing Demon's Souls and/or Dark Souls without spoilers.

I did have a few problems with the game that prevent it from getting a 10 from me though. The AI is really spotty and inconsistent. Infected are pretty dumb in general, and I can accept that; some of them don't even have brains anymore. But human enemies vary wildly; sometimes they're really smart, sometimes they're dumb as bricks. Friendlies are similarly inconsistent, and on top of that, are totally invisible to enemies. I can understand that from a gameplay perspective, but it can really disrupt immersion.

Speaking of immersion, the overall mood and tone gets disrupted by the game elements. Getting chased by a horde of zombies, but see something glimmering in the corner? Of course you have to take the detour to grab it. Someone tells you to go as fast as you can straight down a corridor, but you see a room off to the side? Of course you have to go in and look for stuff. Of course, there's the typical "you're about to run into an enemy, so here's some ammo just in case" loot caches in a few spots.

Overall, it's an amazing game, if you buy into the characters. The cons are pretty minor in the scheme of the game; the AI is generally smart enough to kill you repeatedly and its ultimately a video game so there are going to be gamey elements.
  68. Jul 29, 2013
    There must be more games like this. The Last of Us is a rare game which focuses on both the story and the gameplay and manages to make both of them brilliant, this is one of the best games of the PS3 era.

Story: The story is desperately sad in The Last Of Us. Society has fell apart due to a fungal illness which makes human beings become crazy and ferocious monsters. Joel is a middle aged man who has given up on humanity and murder is something that has become a normal days work to him. He then runs into a young girl named Ellie who he is tasked with taking care of and escorting her across the country to a group called the Fireflies. The story is powerful but sometimes cliched as it follows some of the same plot-lines as other post apocalyptic fiction but if it ain't broke don't fix it. The characters themselves are down to earth and are the most likeable and understanding characters I have ever seen in a video game and it is truly sad the game has to end sometime.

Gameplay: The gameplay in The Last Of Us is realistic and makes you feel like you a lost in a world gone to hell. Not only must you be wary around the infected but also other human beings in a dog eat dog world where the word mercy falls onto deaf ears. The AI for the infected can be predictable but it fits with the story of the game, the human AI is different from that and will hunt you down if you are not careful. Ellie is never a hindrance to the player since enemies never try and attack her and this can break the immersion of the game at times but it is better than having to constantly look after her like Sheva/Ashley in the Resident Evil games. Ellie is helpful because not only does she help find supplies but she will also distract enemies or even attack them which can make a difference when it's just two of you against a whole group of survivors. The AI in total is some of the best I've seen in gaming with only a few occasions were they don't seem to know what they're doing. Supplies are scarce in the game and every encounter makes you think should I use this now or keep it for later? There is no hand holding when it comes to supplies, once you used anything then its gone and all you can hope is it you'll find a similar item later. Combat is brutal, every gun shot counts and can knock Joel off his feet if he's not careful and melee combat allows you to do finishing moves that will cause your enemies head to smack against the environment while his brain pops out.

Graphics: the graphics are amazing sometimes you feel like you're watching a movie and every expression is visible on every characters face both during game-play and cutscenes making them seem very human. The enviroments are well detailed and allow you to explore and scavenge it to see if you can find anymore supplies.

The Last Of Us is the closest to a perfect game I have ever played with just about everything done right in the game apart from at times clumsy enemy AI and a little bit of immersion breaking. The story may follow some zombie cliches but that doesn't make it bad in any sense. The Last Of Us is definitely one of the best games I have ever played and it is one that I will play for years to come.
  69. Jun 29, 2013
    Step 1: Stop reading reviews of Metacritic

Step 2: Go to your local game store and purchase Last of Us.

Step 3: Play.

Yes, it's that good. One of the best single player games I have ever played. Period.
  70. Jun 24, 2013
    There is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more thanThere is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more than makes up for those flaws. This game has a great story. It is very engaging and paced along superbly. The characters are cool. The weapon system is easy and fun to use. There are some genuine scares. PLEASE NAUGHTY DOG....THE LAST OF US 2!!!!! Expand
  71. Jun 19, 2013
    Great story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and thatGreat story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and that was within ten minutes after starting the game. Lots of great heart-pumping action and unexpected twists of varying sizes that help to really spice things up, because just when you think it's going one way it goes another.

My cons/gripes: shooting in this game could use some improvement. Gameplay is still rough around the edges too.. And the AI in terms of enemies and your allies, while often great, is sometimes erratic and unrealistic in that sometimes while sneaking around my ally would be all up in the enemy's face and neither one would do anything as if they didn't see each other even though they were right in front of one another.

All in all, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME.
  72. Jun 16, 2013
    This is one of the generations best games, if not one of the best ever made! Naughty Dog shows us how to make a dramatic, horror/survival game with a fantastic story! I love it!
  73. Jun 15, 2013
    Muito bom o game, ND esta de parabéns, mais uma vez fazendo uma obra de arte para o PS3!!! Ambientação, emoção, jogabilidade, movimentação, gráficos... Tudo impecável nesta obra de arte chamada The Last of Us.
  74. Jun 16, 2013
    I just completed this game and it is fantastic, the game play it beyond immersive, and is truly dynamic, It kept me up all night and took a total of 10 hours and 30 minutes to finish. I seriously hope they're working on a sequal as I really really want naughty dog to make one. I am doing a playthrough on youtube if you want to see it type ilight8 on youtube. My playthrough is with editingI just completed this game and it is fantastic, the game play it beyond immersive, and is truly dynamic, It kept me up all night and took a total of 10 hours and 30 minutes to finish. I seriously hope they're working on a sequal as I really really want naughty dog to make one. I am doing a playthrough on youtube if you want to see it type ilight8 on youtube. My playthrough is with editing and I don't constantly talk all the time, in my opinion this game is defiantly worth having, and if you don't have a ps3, by one now. Or wait for a ps4 your choice. Expand
  75. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 95 is not enough for this game he had to hit 97-98 is perfect for goty 2013 without a doubt!!!!
    not only as goty game of the generation!!! the critics who are giving low grades of envy dies unfortunately I have ps3 xbox 360 pc and a super over this game has made the dust of my ps3 go away and saw the best game of the generation gta watch dogs beyond any game must overcome if it occurs can be sure it is mafia!
  76. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. Imagine Uncharted 2/3, which looks better, sounds better, is more endearing characters and a plot more emotional.
    Imagine that with the combat that encourages not only several playthroughs to try a different strategy, but charging stations to get your first right strategy. But it really does not do justice. Normally I would write a long review, but this is a title that needs no introduction. It's amazing, one of the best gaming experience out there. Nothing more need be said (for fear of spoiling it) not just buy it!!.
  77. Jun 18, 2013
    Don't believe the people that are giving this game anything below a 7. This game is near perfect and probably one of the best of this generation. The gameplay is sharp and fresh, both online and on single player. I haven't found myself this addicted to a multiplayer game in a long time. The survival aspect stays true for the online modes and it makes the matches more intense then anythingDon't believe the people that are giving this game anything below a 7. This game is near perfect and probably one of the best of this generation. The gameplay is sharp and fresh, both online and on single player. I haven't found myself this addicted to a multiplayer game in a long time. The survival aspect stays true for the online modes and it makes the matches more intense then anything i have played. The single player is equally as astounding with perfect voice actors and a brilliant story. While a little short, they get everything across they needed to. I'm currently playing through the single player on survival mode, and let me tell you. Its hard. But with the way this game is, the hardest difficulty actually makes the game more interesting and more intense, it almost seems like that difficulty is where the game really shines. With no listening mode you are forced to be even more stealthy and more clever with your actions, and each and every scenario takes careful planning. The people that are giving this game zeroes have absolutely no merit, because no matter how you look at this game it is absolutely not anything less then a 7 or 8. Expand
  78. Jun 19, 2013
    From someone who has been a hardcore gamer for 20 years, and who is also a HUGE film buff: This is, for me, the best game I have ever played. Why? First, the story is MASTERFUL. If this was a movie, I really believe it would have blown the critics away, and would have most likely gone down as an enduring classic. Incredible atmosphere of tension (definitely reminded me of a Coen brothersFrom someone who has been a hardcore gamer for 20 years, and who is also a HUGE film buff: This is, for me, the best game I have ever played. Why? First, the story is MASTERFUL. If this was a movie, I really believe it would have blown the critics away, and would have most likely gone down as an enduring classic. Incredible atmosphere of tension (definitely reminded me of a Coen brothers film), heartbreaking emotion (and I am almost never moved by video games stories), great "cinematography", and a script that in my opinion surpasses Cormac McCarthy's novels. Naughty Dog has drawn from a wealth of influences, and has created a story that is better than them all (in my opinion).
    Second, the gameplay is TENSE and very fun. If you didn't feel tension while playing this game, then you need to switch to hard difficulty (and listening mode turned off), because normal mode is for average gamers. I started on the hardest difficulty possible, with no listening mode, and man was this game incredibly tense. (I felt more tension throughout this than No Country For Old Men...I actually had to take breaks to give my stomach a rest). While the combat is not perfect (no game is), its VERY good, and not worth nitpicking due to how it services the phenomenal story.
    Third, this is the most immersive experience I think I have ever had, in gaming or in film. While there are occasional bugs due to the ambitious nature of the game, they are quite rare, and in the course of my 20 hour playthrough, I took my time stealthily in order to conserve the limited ammo I had, and explored the world thoroughly), I actually experienced tension, fear, disgust, hatred, hope, love, joy, peace, brokenness, sorrow. There are moments in this game that I will never forget.
    Lastly, the game is deeply philosophical. What at first glance appears to be a cliched "zombie" (although the infected are nothing like zombies, and are much more believable in my opinion) story is slowly revealed to actually be a fascinating study on humanity, morality, and love. This becomes apparent after the conclusion of the game. The game is so profound and well constructed that I could analyze its meaning (through mise en scene and use of motifs) in the same way I would a movie like "Moonrise Kingdom," "The Godfather," or "Pans Labyrinth."
    To sum it up, this game in a masterpiece. I honestly believe (in my opinion) that those who didn't like the game are either: 1) shallow gamers who enjoy mindlessly repetitive "Call of Duty" games rather than meaningful stories, 2) bad gamers, who thought that the gameplay was "broken" due to their lack of skill, and 3) People who don't understand how to interpret and understand masterful works of literature and film. IMO this game's meaning went over some people's heads. If you appreciate powerful films from geniuses like Martin Scorcese, Stanley Kubrick, Guillermo del Toro, and especially the Coen Brothers, you will love the artistry of this game.
    This game dethroned the masterpiece The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time from the top spot in my favorite games of all time. IT'S THAT GOOD. Gameplay wise, I think Zelda is a bit better, but the story of The Last of Us is one of my favorite stories ever (whether game, film, or book). No other game comes close. Gameplay is created to serve the story, so if you are into games only for the sake of mindless Call of Duty action rather than deep story and intelligent strategic combat, or if you are a fan of Micheal Bay style movies, don't play this game, its art will be wasted on you. To those with (in my opinion) good taste, GET THIS GAME!!!
  79. Jun 17, 2013
    I just finished this game on hard (about to start it on survivor), and it blew me away. Everything about The Last of us is crisp and clean. The gameplay is stellar and will have you're heart racing with intense moments around every corner. Needles to say, the voice acting and story are what really stand out about it. If you aren't moved by this game then there may be something wrong withI just finished this game on hard (about to start it on survivor), and it blew me away. Everything about The Last of us is crisp and clean. The gameplay is stellar and will have you're heart racing with intense moments around every corner. Needles to say, the voice acting and story are what really stand out about it. If you aren't moved by this game then there may be something wrong with you. Anyways, if you have a ps3 and don't have this game, go get it. NOW. You won't regret it. $60 well spent. Oh and the multiplayer is icing on the cake. I'm having loads of fun with it too. I can't wait until some of my friends get this to play it with me. Expand
  80. Jun 17, 2013
    This is definitely a contender for Game of the Year, never have I cried in a video game... until now. The Last of Us is a brilliant story that evokes emotion like an Oscar winning film. Spanning approximately fifteen hours of singleplayer story; the game never got dull. Gameplay mechanics involve scavenging and crafting items in the post-apocalyptic world, and combating human and mutantThis is definitely a contender for Game of the Year, never have I cried in a video game... until now. The Last of Us is a brilliant story that evokes emotion like an Oscar winning film. Spanning approximately fifteen hours of singleplayer story; the game never got dull. Gameplay mechanics involve scavenging and crafting items in the post-apocalyptic world, and combating human and mutant enemies. Visually... this is the best looking game on PS3 that I've ever played, and the music (although minimal) compliments it perfectly.

But where this game shines... is the characters, Joel and Ellie feel like real people who must embark on a mission against incredible odds, meeting other well-realized characters along the way (I'm staying vague so I don't spoil anything.)
  81. Jun 16, 2013
    As a gamer for many years and across multiple platforms, I simply cannot fault this game. The graphics, story, tension and excitement from this game is simply the best. Naughty Dog have cemented the standards we should expect from developers and The Last of Us is simple the greatest game of this generation. Buy this game and you will not be disappointed. 10/10 in every aspect.
  82. Jul 11, 2013
    Naughty Dog has taken their years of experience dating back to Crash Bandicoot, through Rachet and Clank, Resistence and Uncharted to create their masterpiece, The Last Of Us (Us United States? sure, why not). Although not as revolutionary as games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us takes what has worked in the past, the visual tracking of Batman, the multi choice strategy ofNaughty Dog has taken their years of experience dating back to Crash Bandicoot, through Rachet and Clank, Resistence and Uncharted to create their masterpiece, The Last Of Us (Us United States? sure, why not). Although not as revolutionary as games like LA Noire or Heavy Rain, The Last Of Us takes what has worked in the past, the visual tracking of Batman, the multi choice strategy of Uncharted, the ease of weapon maintenence from R & C and Resistence, and has refined them to create as damn close to a perfect game as I've played. Following Dead Island and the Walking Dead games, the idea of another "zombie" game sounded stale. But it's the execution that makes all the difference. When engaged in combat, the situations change, so its not just running errands and killing waves of enemies. At one instance, you may be holding off a pack of zombies in a siege type situation. Next you may be sharpshooting enemies to protect your partners. Mostly you be sneaking around, stealthily killing and/or setting up traps. The graphics and atmosphere (changing with the seasons, nice touch) are spot on, and the acting is among the best. I've played it through once, and halfway through now, and it remains an enjoyable gaming experience. Expand
  83. Jun 16, 2013
    I have been a fan of Naughty Dog's games ever since Jak and Daxter came out for the PS2 back in 2001. This made my expectations very high for The Last of Us, and I have to say it did not let me down. The game is near perfect on almost every level. The graphics are the best the PS3 has to offer; Or any current GEN console as a matter of fact. The gameplay is solid and gritty and keeps youI have been a fan of Naughty Dog's games ever since Jak and Daxter came out for the PS2 back in 2001. This made my expectations very high for The Last of Us, and I have to say it did not let me down. The game is near perfect on almost every level. The graphics are the best the PS3 has to offer; Or any current GEN console as a matter of fact. The gameplay is solid and gritty and keeps you on the edge of the seat the whole time. The first 15 minutes of The Last of Us are so engaging and make you emotionally attached to characters within a matter of minutes. Throughout The Last of Us you will be fighting two types of Enemies humans and infected with your AI companion Ellie. Ellie is not your typical AI getting in your way while trying to fight enemies. She is a character that you grow to care for and provides help in battles. The Last of Us is graphically stunning and in some moments will have me stop and stare at my surrounding environments. The story takes you to several environments and will make it hard to put the controller down. The story is divided by seasons and each section changes and adds new aspects to the game. The only thing bad I have to say about this game is that sometimes AI will run around a clicker and not get noticed, but if I crawl slowly around it'll get me killed. This in no way ruins the game, it is still an amazing experience. Anyone who gives this game a negative review is a Microsoft fan boy that is mad because the Xbox One got overshadowed by the PS4. While this game is not for everyone because of it strong violence it's still can be appreciated because of it's fantastic story telling and graphics that make the game so immersive. If you have even thought about picking up The Last of Us, go do it now! It is an experience that cannot be found anywhere else in gaming and Is safe to say that it's my GOTY. Expand
  84. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of Us is the only game I've ever played where I've truly felt like one wrong misstep or one missed bullet could cost me my life. Naughty Dog truly achieved creating a perfect survival game from scavenging houses for a couple bullets to get you through the next encounter to searching frantically for wraps and alcohol to create a health kit to patch yourself up from the previousThe Last of Us is the only game I've ever played where I've truly felt like one wrong misstep or one missed bullet could cost me my life. Naughty Dog truly achieved creating a perfect survival game from scavenging houses for a couple bullets to get you through the next encounter to searching frantically for wraps and alcohol to create a health kit to patch yourself up from the previous encounter. But while I could rant all day about the level of perfection that Naughty Dog achieved with the game play, I also should touch on the story. Anyone who's played Naughty Dog's previous installments of the Uncharted series knows that the developer can piece together a fantastic, weaving story that can be at times heart wrenching. Somehow, they exceeded all of the already high expectations that I had set for the story of this game. From losing loved ones to exacting revenge, this game covers every emotion known to man during a whirlwind of a 14 hour campaign that you will want to come back to. The final thing to touch on is the multi-player that I can't quite find myself capable of putting down. Each human encounter in an online match is formed not just as a fight for your life, but also a fight for the survival of your unseen clan that you are gathering food, supplies and medicine for. There is the standard perk system that everyone has come to know and love since Call of Duty and also a weapon upgrade system that makes you find a squared balance between your capabilities to sneak or fight.

In summation, this game deserves every individual point on the 10 system scale that I've assigned to it. If you own a PlayStation 3, buy this game. If you do not own a PlayStation 3, then go to your local game shop to buy one along with a copy of this game.
  85. Jul 11, 2013
    The intro got me instantly. The characters are so awesome right from the start. Then I feared the developers may have just made a good intro to impress people... but after a short time the characters and the story evolved in a way that was absolutely intriguing.
    The setting isn't actually that complicated or innovative... but it's executed perfectly. The protagonist's character development and background story are amazing. Way better than what I've seen in some films lately. Great stuff!
  86. Jul 13, 2013
    Simply the best game I have played in over 25 years of gaming. This game is the complete package, story to rival any hollywood blockbuster, action to rival the best of 3rd person shooters.
  87. Jul 14, 2013
    Start of review
    ============ This game is one of the crown jewels of PlayStation 3, and in the PlayStation-franchise. Quite frankly, I believe it to be the greatest game I have ever played, and I have played some good games, such as BioShock and so on. Let's break down why it is so amazing, in my honest opinion, shall we? Wouldn't want to seem like giving opinions
    Start of review
    ============

Let's break down why it is so amazing, in my honest opinion, shall we? Wouldn't want to seem like giving opinions without reasoning. Alright.

Game analysis
    ================

Story: Most likely in the Top 3 of all-time game stories. I don't know that many story-based games, but it indeed equals games such as The Walking Dead (Telltale) in terms of story. It is up to the player that whether you prefer The Last of Us or TWD. Crucial plot points are certain to make you at least have wet eyes, if not shed tears at least in the first time you are playing.

Characters: Greatest characters of any games I have played. The journey they go through, make you immersed of it. Especially certain optional conversations, dialogue, and the actions Ellie makes just make you want to protect her. Even if she was only a video game character. You can't be annoyed of Ellie, unless you have a specific reason to hate teenage girls. Because of that, plot points can sometimes even shock/mesmerize you, which hasn't occurred to me in any game before.

Also the side characters you encounter during the game, make you feel like they actually were not side characters at all. They are just so well done.

Gameplay: Hmh. This is a topic many people consider to be the weak link of The Last of Us. I think it is alright. Sure, there are bugs that can interfere with the immersion, but those bugs were practically non-existent for me. Unless you're trying to have the game bashed any means necessary, you will be entertained by the game mechanics.

AI: This is something people are also curious about. And now, let me explain. The reason Friendly AI is not visible to enemies, is that you would be annoyed how you are seen for silly AI actions. It was a Naughty Dog decision to implement it invisible, because of the reason said earlier. Sure, they could make/have made it visible to enemies, but then everyone would be enraged on how they're seen due to companions.

Stealth AI is pretty good. Seeing a Metal Gear Solid-veteran say in a site that it was good even on his scale, I guess that it's alright when it's not bugged. Combat AI is probably one of the best in there, likely surpassing games like Far Cry 3 or Arkham City. But that is just my opinion.

Graphics: So, some people have claimed the graphics are not as good as in e.g. Uncharted 2-3? Perhaps. But there is a reason the graphics can be slightly downgraded because everything is supposed to be left without care for 20 years. Just like from BioShock to BioShock 2, BioShock 2 had slightly more decayed/corrupted feel to it for a reason.

Overall: The game is immersive, story is top-notch and probably one of the best of generation, graphics are so good that some of the older PS3's have been reported to crash sometimes, characters and their development are most likely the best in PS3 and the entire current-gen.

If you like post-apocalyptic survival (horror horror in brackets because horror feel isn't that often there) games with one of the best and fun characters of gaming as your Friendly AI companion, I suggest you get this game.
    The bug reports you may have encountered do not happen that often, never happened to me and some of friends telling they have not experienced major game-breaking bugs either.

Awards and such
    Expectation for Spike VGA Game of the Year
    Expectation for multiple GOTY Awards from different sites
    Expectation for Character of the Year for Ellie
    Personal award for Best Game of Generation
    Personal award for Best Game of PlayStation Exclusives in entirety
  88. Aug 4, 2013
    Superb work of art. You rarely come across a game with such marvellous storytelling. The gameplay is really fun and challenging and the presentation of the game is the best I've seen to date.
    This game is a must-have to every gamer.
  89. Jun 16, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for aThis might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!!! Expand
  90. Oct 20, 2013
    I've bought this game when it was released and finished it in a couple of days.. And i just can't shake it off. Even after drowning myself in the newest Gta, tomb raider, bioshock, beyond two souls and saints row. This game is still the best game of this generation. No matter what anyone says the characters are perfect, the voice acting is perfect, the story was perfect, the gameplay wasI've bought this game when it was released and finished it in a couple of days.. And i just can't shake it off. Even after drowning myself in the newest Gta, tomb raider, bioshock, beyond two souls and saints row. This game is still the best game of this generation. No matter what anyone says the characters are perfect, the voice acting is perfect, the story was perfect, the gameplay was innovative and perfect. I just can't stop fanboying in the presence of this remarkable game. You actually feel like you're in the game. You feel emotionally attached to the characters, the twists and the story. After playing the last uncharted game i thought it wasn't going to be all that great but this game proved me wrong and is surely shawshank of gaming. Nothing less. I'm putting this right beside my favourite games- chrono trigger, okami, half life, final fantasy, Re4, zelda etc. It deserves to have a spot on anyone's top 5, easily. I've never felt so bad in my life for the people that haven't played this game. It's a masterpiece. Expand
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece. I don't know how else to put it. Much like Telltale Games' hit The Walking Dead, this game focuses on a character-driven story. These characters are, in true Naughty Dog fashion, brought to life by sharp visuals, spot-on voice acting, and abundantly clever writing. From start to finish, these character interactions never feel forced or out of place. Why elseThis game is a masterpiece. I don't know how else to put it. Much like Telltale Games' hit The Walking Dead, this game focuses on a character-driven story. These characters are, in true Naughty Dog fashion, brought to life by sharp visuals, spot-on voice acting, and abundantly clever writing. From start to finish, these character interactions never feel forced or out of place. Why else would I have played it almost nonstop over the weekend? Sure, the story isn't anything new apocalyptic stories are a dime a dozen nowadays but the way in which it's told is what you come for. People seeking yet another brainless point-and-shoot FPS won't like it, but who cares about them.

In terms of gameplay, the controls are similar to Uncharted, but overall the game encourages you to play as if it's Metal Gear Solid. You can sneak around and completely avoid enemy engagements, or just go ahead and kill them either stealthily or loudly if you've been spotted. Each engagement also takes place in a surprisingly open arena; there are multiple paths that you can take to sneak up behind or flank your enemies, as well as set traps or just look for a way out. Throughout the many stages you'll find a variety of items that you can use to craft makeshift weapons, replenish your first aid kit supply, or upgrade your guns. And once you've gone through the game's story, you can start a New Game Plus, where you start with all of the upgrades and bonuses you had at the end of your recent playthrough, something I'm just now trying out.

And my impression is without having tried the multiplayer mode. You know you game is d*mn good when the single player alone will almost perpetually keep you busy.

Lastly, be sure to completely ignore most if not all of the negative user reviews. Most of what I saw compared The Last of Us to Bioshock Infinite, which is incredibly idiotic on those users' parts as these games aren't even the same genre, and most of them are likely adolescent Call of Duty fans that demand that a game hold their hand and tell them exactly what button to press for every waking moment that the game is on.
  92. Jun 17, 2013
    Having completed 1 play through, this is just another one of those outstanding games from Naughty Dog. Of course this is only my opinion and as such, they will vary throughout the gaming circles. However, one thing is crystal clear from doing any search of reviews on the game: The Last of Us is an amazing game. The graphics, sound, acting and story are everything folks have come toHaving completed 1 play through, this is just another one of those outstanding games from Naughty Dog. Of course this is only my opinion and as such, they will vary throughout the gaming circles. However, one thing is crystal clear from doing any search of reviews on the game: The Last of Us is an amazing game. The graphics, sound, acting and story are everything folks have come to expect from Naughty Dog and more. The numbers don't lie, so if say, 690 people (at the time of my review) gave it a positive score and 55 gave it a negative score what does that tell you? Search for reviews on this game and you will find the same results everywhere. Win or lose, The Last of Us will be the 4th consecutive entry (following Uncharted, Uncharted 2 and Uncharted 3) from Naughty Dog to be nominated for game of the year by various mainstream gaming websites. Expand
  93. Aug 2, 2013
    The Last of Us 10/10.................................................................................................................................
  94. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is just amazing. Multiplayer is amazing, Single Player is great. I can't believe the user rate was 8.8 it should be at least 9.4 IMHO. BUY THIS GAME!!!
  95. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best games I have had the honor to play. With the beautiful environment and relationship between Joel and Ellie, the intense gameplay, the enjoyable combat and the depressing and emotional story of Joel and Ellie this game would have to be one of the best games of the console generation. Probably one of the best games of all time.
  96. Jun 17, 2013
    10 out of 10 what else can i say for this masterpiece! The story is amazingly well-written and the game is as it should have been.I mean that you feel the loss of a deceased person and also you live the game as you feel the same emotions with your character like the agony the sadness etc.Τhe combat system is fairly good but the stealth is not rewarding and worth doing.All in all this game10 out of 10 what else can i say for this masterpiece! The story is amazingly well-written and the game is as it should have been.I mean that you feel the loss of a deceased person and also you live the game as you feel the same emotions with your character like the agony the sadness etc.Τhe combat system is fairly good but the stealth is not rewarding and worth doing.All in all this game is one of the best out there and i enjoyed all the 16 hours i spent playing it's storyline. Expand
  97. Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing world building, deep characters, amazing script. Cinematic. Emotional. Suspenseful. This game will stick to your mind after you beat it, just like Bioshock Infinite. Just in a completely different fashion.
  98. Jun 17, 2013
    This game was a fantastic surprise for me, and even though I haven't finished it yet (I'm nearing the end), I know I won't forget this game easily. First of all, let me say this: if you are that kind of gamer that just want non stop action, explosions, and huge set pieces, don't even think about getting this game and get one of the many brainless shooters out there. For everyone else, thisThis game was a fantastic surprise for me, and even though I haven't finished it yet (I'm nearing the end), I know I won't forget this game easily. First of all, let me say this: if you are that kind of gamer that just want non stop action, explosions, and huge set pieces, don't even think about getting this game and get one of the many brainless shooters out there. For everyone else, this game is a treat. It alternates quiet, atmospheric moments to intense fights, both against humans and infected enemies all the time, with incredibly good pacing. During the quieter sections, it's fantastic to just explore searching for supplies, the environments are beautifully detailed, the designers probably spent weeks putting every single element in place. The combat is intense, brutal and rewarding, especially against the infected, it's frantic and challenging, especially when playing on hard. The sound design is equally top notch, for example in areas with rain, the rain will sound different depending where it falls, on metal, glass, concrete etc. The sound design is truly spectacular and I highly recommend having good heaphones or a nice surround system, it's insanely immersive. The music is rare, but when it starts, it does so masterfully and the already exceptional immersiveness is increased 10x. My only complaint is that the stealth is a bit unrefined. Enemy AI is mostly great, but there is the occasional bug, which is inevitable. The reason I don't give 10/10 is that they could have optimized the AI further and created a more refined stealth experience. The story is rather simple but very well executed,gripping and character development is excellent. Voice acting is fantastic too.
    The multiplayer was the icing on the cake, I didn't even care about it, but it's solid, has a different pace compared to the various shooters out there, and focuses on stealth, and teamwork. I'm having lots of fun with it, but you really need a few "bros" to play it with, coordinating your attacks and everything, but it's still enjoyable even with random people.

Bottom line, the game is excellent, it delivers in every single area, is incredibly immersive, the plot is solid, the character development is excellent, the sound design is probably the best this gen. The very few AI screwups are rare and don't hamper the experience at all. If you can appreciate a slower paced, more intimate experience compared to the average shooter or Uncharted game, which rewards careful approaches, exploration, stealth, and item conservation, this game is excellent. If you want an explosive rollercoaster with 1000+ bullets shot per minute, look elsewhere.
  99. Jun 16, 2013
    Naughty Dog brought us the Uncharted Trilogy and now they bring us this gripping tale of survival. Naughty Dog don't just develop games, they develop stories first. Stories so gripping they leave the gamer with a lot more to enjoy than just a bunch of puzzles and adrenaline rush.

This is not just the Game of the Year in my books, this is a shift in gaming. It has brought realness into the gaming world at a time when every gamer was craving for something more. In truth there are few that can hold a candle to it in it's genre.

If you are looking for quality, value for your money then this is one of the best games to buy and keep for generations to come so they can see when it all changed.
  100. Jun 16, 2013
    I'll keep this brief.
    Story: 10 A tale of two people forced to care for each other on a journey that carries them through the depths of humanity and the beauty of friendship. That's all I can really say without giving it away but it's a yarn worth hearing.
    I'll keep this brief.
    Graphics: 10 The best graphics you will find on any console anywhere but more importantly, those graphics are put to use in all the best ways bringing alive an overgrown wasteland with stunning lighting, rich foliage, and so-real-it's-eerie character models.
    Sound: 9.5 The music is appropriate and accentuates the quiet moments with soulful guitar and the loud moments with tense orchestral pieces. The voice-acting is second to none truly giving the script the grounding it needed. My only gripe is that sometimes sound effect will abruptly stop and start during parts of the game.
    Gameplay: 9.5 Desperation is the name of the game and you never forget it. Conserve your ammunition if you can by stealthily avoiding the games varied foes so that when it hits the fan, you can hit back. The aiming is spotty but that just ratchets up the intensity when you've got a mob after you. Would've liked a better way of knowing whether you were going to be spotted though. Sometimes you feel you've done everything right only to have some guy notice you from 300 yards away.
    Value: 10 You've got an amazing 15 hour quest you'll want to experience a second time in NG+ in addition to a surprisingly well put together multiplayer. I've only played a couple of matches but every time it was truly exciting.
    Overall: Incredible. If you like video games, you've got to play this. Don't listen to the reviews who are trying to be "different" and go play one of the best games of this console generation.
  101. Aug 17, 2013
    The People reviewing this game really make me believe they are trolls. This game is one of thegreatest games ever made, the story is compelling, the characters are really likeable, the graphics are incredible and the twists and turns on the way keep you interested as the story unfolds. I would easily rate this game 11/10 as itis simply a complete masterclass in every aspect. Anyone thatThe People reviewing this game really make me believe they are trolls. This game is one of thegreatest games ever made, the story is compelling, the characters are really likeable, the graphics are incredible and the twists and turns on the way keep you interested as the story unfolds. I would easily rate this game 11/10 as itis simply a complete masterclass in every aspect. Anyone that hasn't played this game yet really is missing out on a massive scale. This game will be talked about in years to come and known as the game that saved the horror genre. To finish up I really believe Naughty Dog are the best in the business for story telling along beside Rockstar, but for your average or daily gamer, I can't reccomend this game any higher, I have been gaming for over 15 years and my experience on games is varied so I do know what I am talking about, this is a must have. Collapse

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]