• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know what I can really say about this game without giving anything away, but I will tell you that it is easily in the top ten games that I've played, and I've played a lot of good games, also the characters of Joel and Ellie are absolutely brilliant, I think Ellie has such an amazing premise, and Joel seems to have been affected by the infection in quite a realistic way. The only bad thing I can say about this game is that as good as it is, I don't think it's for everybody, some people might be put off by the atmosphere and violence within the game, while some will love it for the same reason.

If you're thinking of buying this game, then I recommend buying it.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    This game truly is phenomenal. Naughty Dog proves yet again why they are the kings of the PS3, and arguably gaming in general. The Last of Us gets everything right. The environments, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline, the characters, the graphics. Everything. I really can't say enough how amazing this game truly ended up being.
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best games I have ever played. Imagine Uncharted 2/3, that looks better, sounds better, has more engaging characters and a more emotional plot.
    Imagine that with combat which encourages not just multiple playthroughs to try a different strategy, but reloading checkpoints to get your first strategy just right. But that doesn't really do it justice.
    If you
    are looking for a brand new and unique experience, this isn't perfect, but you should play it anyway. If you are looking for one of the best experiences to be found in gaming, you should definitely play The Last of Us. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    You should realize right from the beginning, you are in for a dark, remorseless journey into survival. Your sympathy is for the two main characters, and some of survivors they meet along the way, but the dread of what is around the corner haunts you for them and like the stunning graphics that never cease to amaze, this game continues to enthrall you down to the last scene. The game play is flawless, and you know this because it never interferes with story and the combat....and Ellie will simply blow you away with her tough independence and fierce instincts....The PS3 deserves this game as a brilliant way to say good-bye to this generation of consoles...worth every cent and worth every play time minute. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    Very good game. I love all of Naughty Dog's games, they are fun and have very good graphics. Go buy this game now and support ND for making better games on the PS 4!
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    I wouldn't call this game perfect, but it's pretty close for me. I wanted to rate this a 9.8. Since I cannot, I will give it a 10 because it is closer to a 10 than a 9. There IS the occasional glitch (as with most games), but the only thing that really takes me out of the experience is when Ellie will run out in front of the enemies and they will not see her at all! These moments remind you that you're playing a game and take you out of the experience.

Other than that, the story is absolutely top notch, the acting is top notch. One of the most engaging experiences I've ever played. (and I've been gaming since around the age of 3 back in '83!) The combat is underpowered in comparison to other games, but I LOVE that. It really gives a sense of fear and dread as you move along in the game. It really emphasizes the need for stealth. I would recommend this game to almost anyone, except for those who just absolutely loathe stealth games. Even then, you should give it a shot at least for the story and acting. The first 10 minutes will make at least a tear come to your eye. If it doesn't, then you probably aren't human.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us, its a game that needs no introduction but had to show more than what we were expecting in order to not only keep up with the current generation & next generation games coming out but also live up to the par that Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 3 set for Naughty Dog. The game takes you on a journey that takes you throughout a world 20 years after a pandemic had arose. While keeping new ideas fresh the best thing that "The Last of Us" has going for it is excellent character development backed up with a truly memorable story. So if you are able to get your hands on a copy "The Last of Us" is a game that you do not want to miss out, and that is why it deserves a 9.8/10. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    Such an immersing world, great characters especially Joel en Ellie. Brilliant and such a fleshed out story i won't forget in a long time. Intense and incredible well put together gameplay mechanics. THE best game i have ever played.
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    I really like this action-survival-horror -next generation game, forget all this MS haters...if I compare the graphics of this great game with GTA IV, Darksiders, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Hitman, the action, gameplay, are matchless. It's not a perfect game, not at all, not for all, but I like it and it's my kind of game.
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    Best game this generation along with Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption Everything in this game is top notch Graphics Gameplay Storytelling ,Voice acting and soundtrack This game is one of the reasons why I have a PS3 .
    and when you see a dickhead like GladkyAndrey who rate this game a 3 then change his mind and rate it 0 you know that this game is a beeeeeeaast
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    Best games ever made.
    A 10/10 score is not enough for this game. Naughty dog has made many great games, but this one is the best and probably the best game of this gen.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    A gripping story about human survival and the re-ignition of love in a bittered heart. The voice acting is perfect, facial animations are top notch and the protagonist becomes a very 'real' person as the story progresses. The graphics are pretty much the best current consoles can offer. The art direction can best be described as 'dreary', perfect for a post-apocalyptic setting. I also love the sound design and the minimalistic sound track producing melancholic instrumental music that really gets you in the right mood. The story is thrust forward using ingame dialog sections, cutscenes and various items you find (such as pamphlets and notes). Overall, the fiction feels very 'real'. Thrillingly able to suspend my disbelief with a mature story.

Gameplay:

The game can be best described as a third person action adventure with lots of stealth elements, and a bit more exploration than you would expect from the creators of Uncharted. The game has a wonderful pace (absolutely not run and gun) and great stealth sections that will have you at the edge of your seat. The stealth reminds me a bit of Manhunt, in which rooms are like puzzles and it is for the gamer to find out efficient ways to get through the rooms. As in Manhunt, taking down enemies feels hefty and combat is raw and visceral. There is also a crafting system in place, in which you use recourses scattered throughout the levels to craft items like health packs and shivs. However, resources are scarce and some items use the same components. So you need to choose: do I want a health pack, or a molotov?

The only downside to the game I found is the fact that sometimes your companions behave unrealistically during stealth sections, wanting to follow you around and obviously showing themselves while doing so. But it doesn't detract from the experience and luckily no alarms are triggered when it happens. Overall the companion AI is good; it is hard to make companions behave perfectly in stealth gameplay (how many games even try it?).

Lastly, I recommend turning off all tips in the options menu so the game doesn't tell you what to do all the time, yet I found the normal difficulty setting challenging enough. Take your time with this one, try to find the hidden resources and be absorbed in the fiction. Uncharted 3 really was more of the same and a bit boring, this is refreshing and gripping. Like Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2, this was a game that just did not bore me. 10/10 for the single player.
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    This is a great game and if you own a Playstation 3 you should play it.

The bad "User" reviews by GonzoGamer and Wilfogn Your other review are all XboX360 games. .
    So my question to you is is? Are you really that stupid, why would you go and give a bad review to a game of a console you don't even have..... You should pursuit a career in politics, you are picture perfect for the job.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the first survival game in a long while that truly feels like a survival game. You have such limited ammo with your relatively underpowered weapons, that you must strategically plan out each encounter in order to survive. Most games suggest that you explore the environments, but The Last of Us actually forces you to. Without the necessary scavenged crafting supplies used to make health kits, upgraded weapons or booby traps, you simply won’t live through upcoming encounters. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. All around amazing!! I just recommend to at least give it a try before you make your own decision. From start to finish this game is incredible, amazing story which is expected since this game comes from the same studio that developed uncharted (naughtydog). Visuals are fantastic, fighting and stealth kills are very unique and fun. I will not be surprised if this game wins a tone of goty awards. This is definitely my game of the year. Like I said before it is definitely worth playing for yourself. Expand
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece!! This game gives me great hope where games can go from here,having played most games you fear "been there done that" not with The Last Of Us. Naughty dog have shown what great developers they are with Uncharted series,but with this game they have stepped into legendary category and Sony's flagship developers. Amazing game with great graphics (probably best looking game on ps3) and a great story arc. The story is the games real strength and how it emotionally draws you in,then throw in suspenseful set pieces with a gritty world and action violence and you've got a gem,and that's what Naughty Dog has given us,probably the ps3 last exclusive gem. Simply put YOU MUST BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    Extraordinary game! Great story that makes you care about the characters of the game. The game play is effortless and continuously keeps you interested in what’s around the next corner. Love figuring out what’s the best line of defense for getting though enemy riddled areas. A must purchase!
  18. Jun 15, 2013
    the only people giving this a rating lower 8 are fake ps3 owners aka xbox fanboys... this is one of the best games ever made to date... its a masterpiece. This game is what a true survival game should be... you should be sneaking around and you should be thinking about is it worth it firing this gun.
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    this is not a game.. this story is a real life.. i love this studio and thanks SONY for everything.. after the best game of history (uncharted 3) this.. and i don't now how of this two is better.. thank you ND... thank you sony.. hater please don't ruin the game with 1.. please it is a shame..
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    This game delivers everything you want and need in a game to make it a masterpiece a emotionally investing story and characters, stunning visuals, and tense and immersive gameplay! This is a must buy for anybody!!
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    It made me cry game is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Characters ,graphics,history everything is great about this game everything
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. Naughty Dog is one of the best video game developers in the world, and they continuously keep producing masterpieces like this. This is a must buy for every PS3 owner.
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last Of Us is officially the best game I have ever played. The story is outstanding and brilliant the moment the game starts it hooks you in with the magnificent story. Naughty dog has done an absolute outstanding job with this game and it shows through out the game. The graphics is brilliant and stunning in beauty. The Game play is brilliant the best game play i have ever seen in a game and the controls is extremely smooth and easy to learn. If you have played all 3 uncharted games and thought they were good wait until you play the last of us you will not be disappointed.The last of us is the game to beat for game the year. If you loved uncharted I recommend strongly you play the last of us it will leave you hooked and glued to your TV screen for hours upon hours. I f you have an Xbox 360 trade it in get a PS3 and play this game no Xbox game will ever be as good as the last of us. If naughty dog created such and amazing game that even the critics have given it top scores I cannot wait to see what naughty dog has in store for us in the future. Expand
  24. Jun 14, 2013
    Awesome story
    Fun gameplay
    Tense feeling
    And very detailed graphics. Not so good lucking, but very detailed!!
    And Ellie is so lovely!

Am must play for every gamer!
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    This is my first review on meta-critic and for a damn good reason! The Last Of Us is unbelievable, amazing, and epic and solidifies why I play games! This is one of the top games I have played in my entire life and got me very emotionally involved.. For once I am happy to say I receiveded more than what I payed for.. 10/10
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    Although this games story isn't no more than 20 hours long. It is perhaps one of the best games of 2013. It just has alot of emotion in the story and makes the entire single player experience one of a lifetime. The main characters Joel and Ellie are developed really well. They feel very human and alive which makes the story pop out even more. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but after finishing the story I already feel I got my moneys worth.

If people don't like this game then joke is on them, because without a doubt in my personal opinion this is the best game in 2013.
  27. Jun 15, 2013
    There is nothing bad I can say about this game. It was fun to play, it hit you where it counts, and it made you genuinely care for the characters. A perfect 10 out of 10 in my opinion.
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    Developer Naughty Dog has added "The Last of Us" to its pristine resume, which has become one of the more prestigious in all of video games. The PlayStation 3 game, which arrives in stores Friday, tells the heartfelt story of Joel and Ellie trying to survive in a world filled with death and woe. It's 20 years in the future, and the human race has been overrun by a parasitic infection that turns people into zombie-like husks that hunt other humans. There is no cure, and the goal for the few remaining humans is to survive.

Joel is an experienced smuggler, an occupation that is strictly forbidden by his quarantine zone's military rule. He is employed by the Fireflies, an organization that fights against the military, to smuggle Ellie across the country. Joel isn't interested in what the Fireflies want with Ellie until details come to light that make this job the most important he's ever taken. The story of "The Last of Us" follows these central characters for a year, as their bond grows during their cross-country journey. This opens opportunities to not only explore the depth of these characters, but also show off post-apocalyptic versions of American locales. The trek begins in Boston and lands in Colorado and Salt Lake City, as well as a lengthy stay in Pittsburgh.

Recognizable Steel City landmarks include the U.S. Steel Tower and the BNY Mellon Center Downtown, along with nods to the Strip District and Fort Pitt Bridge, but the breathtaking art is just background for the human elements on display.

Joel and Ellie's storylines change throughout the game's 13- to 15-hour tenure. In a world overrun with horrific zombie-like creatures, the focus is almost always on the humans. The characters not the infected drive the plot. Much like "The Walking Dead" game and television show, the writers of "The Last of Us" realized that humans are much more intriguing than the mindless zombies around them. The gameplay keeps up with the presentation and narrative. Whether Joel is up against the infected or humans, stealth is key because ammunition is scarce. Quietly taking down foes is a key to success. When that fails, guns are needed, and Joel comes to acquire plenty of them. Being low on ammunition provides an added challenge to the game's combat, but that makes progressing all the more satisfying.

Naughty Dog has created a console-defining masterpiece in "The Last of Us." It achieves the perfect balance between thrilling action and emotional storytelling. It arrived as one of the most hyped games of the year, and it delivers conclusively.
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    For me this is another masterpiece game from Naughty Dog Studio. This time we are living in apocalyptic times which means...if you like walking dead or other zombie/survival movies you will love this game. Graphics are outstanding and characters, as always, absolutely brilliant. The best thing is the "reality" of atmosphere. Usually in apocalyptic games or movies there is an arsenal of guns and stuff here you have to think how to survive a battle. That's something new in games.
    If you considering to buy a new ps4 console, you have to play that game. It's definitely one of the best games on this generation.
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    How can anyone give this game a "60"? TLoU is one of the best games i've ever played.
  31. Jun 15, 2013
    The hype leading up to my chance to play The Last of Us had me worried, as it seemed like I would be disappointed because I thought no game could live up to the expectations I had for it. I was wrong. Naughty Dog has succeeded in crafting what is undoubtedly one of the absolute best games of all time, an emotional tour de force that, while set in a post-apocalyptic, zombie-in-all-but-name-only-infested world, spends a lot of time exploring the humanity of enduring such an environment.

Some reviews have criticized the actual gameplay, but I love it. The game rewards players who can think creatively and act stealthily over those who can shoot the enemies dead the fastest. By other metrics, the game makes no compromises: for a game running on almost 7-year-old hardware, the graphics are stunning, with the writing, voice acting, art direction, soundtrack, and level design all among the absolute best in the video game world.

The game has kept me greatly on edge and had me in tears less than an hour into the game. It has kept me in awe of both the ugliness of many of the areas ravaged by the events of the game and the sheer beauty of those that nature has reclaimed in the absence of meddling from humanity, infected or not.

Games like this and Bioshock Infinite make me optimistic about the future of gaming. The Last of Us is a true masterpiece, ranking among not only among my absolute favorite video games of all time, but among my favorite entries in any art/entertainment medium. It's often gritty and heavy, but it greatly rewards those who enjoy deep, sometimes tragic, character-driven storytelling: the same strategy that networks like HBO and AMC seem to be focusing on with their original content in recent years to much success.

All in all, if the idea of a post-apocalyptic survival game doesn't completely turn you off, you owe it to yourself to play this game.
  32. Jun 19, 2013
    This game is truly fantastic. It deserves every bit of praise that it gets but unlike other reviews I'm going to try and simply break down why. Firstly it's an action game, so it's a 1010 action game, not the greatest game of all time, out of every genre. So what's important in an action game? Action right? The gunning feels more realistic than any other TPS I've experienced so far, and every weapon is so unique to handle it actually feels like you're carrying a real assortment. What about AI? Humans will come up behind you in a matter of seconds to shoot you from behind, if they can't get behind you, they will throw a molotov at you with pensive precision. What about stealth? Clickers must be dealt with by crouching and not walking but creeping, if they hear a loud footstep they will come charging, and on contact you will die instantly. Not only is the challenge there but it feels so nerve-racking no matter where you go. Humans can also be dealt with stealthily, choking them to do, wasting no resources, or if you choose, move past everything, like something out of MGS. Combat it's there as well, numerous objects can be used as melee weapons, a bat will take a few hits down someone with a combo, whereas a blade might take just one to kill. You can even reinforce weapons with blades to cause one hit kills on Clickers. hear you asking about the rest... Graphics? It's Naughty Dog, so check. Music? Does the perfect job of building atmosphere instead of sounding like a Hollywood movie check. Story there is nothing I can say here that won't spoil things but as soon as it gets moving there is no pointless banter, just one breathtaking moment after the next. Longevity? Yes, there are comics, artefacts and firefly dog-tags to find, numerous difficulty levels and the ability to upgrade Joel in a slightly-action RPG fashion to your liking.

What I'm trying to say is that as an action game, it has it all and then some. It improves on almost all facets of an action game. Whereas others are becoming more casualized and more scripted and shorter and shorter, ND takes us in the opposite direction, with a challenging, punishing, absolutely enthralling experience that does not let up until it is over. With an original multiplayer element to boot.
    I hope I have given a little more insight into why this game is so praised. Also kudos to Sony for letting ND do what they want it has paid in spades and so it should.
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    Anyone rating this under 90. 2 word can characterize him. Lobotomy and sterilization. This game has all the elements of survival. If you are act first and think later kind of gamer then this game might not be for you. Patience and strategy and careful planning filled with mature content make this game GREAT
  34. Jun 14, 2013
    This game has an excelent history, the relation of Joel and Ellie are fascinating. The graphics are amazing too, considering the limits of PS3. It´s not an open world game, but its wonderful.
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    Riveting graphic, intense storyline and relentless awesomeness. Kudos to Naughty Dog for making such a great game of all times. Looking forward to see more games like this.
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    Wow, just wow. Naughty Dog has always been my favourite game developers, why? Because they always succeed with their games. And this game was no exception. Naughty Dog have worked really, really hard with the environment ,story and dialogues, not to mention how the characters move and react. I could see that in the beginning of the game, when the girl moved with quiet steps in the big house looking for her dad. Maybe not the best description but if you play the game, you will notice) I am absolutely speechless about this game. Every move and everywhere you go, you sort of jump in to the game. I haven't got this feeling since I played the Half-life franchise, which is a pretty old game.
    I understand why this game got over 50 perfect scores. This and three other Naughty Dog games is on my number 10 list, with this one going number 1 and Jak II: Renegade going number 2 I can only say that Naughty Dog, you just made another masterpiece!
  37. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is on my short list for perfect 10's. Few games come to mind that are close to this caliber of top notch presentation, amazing story, and superb game play. This is a true return to survival horror, a genre many fans felt disappeared after Resident Evil 4 (some say even before that). I honestly haven't even started to play multiplayer yet, but I only hear good to great things about it. I know it's a little late in the current gen to say this, but this is a system seller of a game if I have ever played one! Expand
  38. Jun 15, 2013
    Let's see... Do you like story-driven games with immersive voice acting/cut-scenes and great gameplay? If yes, then this game is for you. The Last of Us is one of the best games this gen and I recommend to every (real) gamer out there. Have fun!
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    Actually i dident wanna give this game a 10/10, why? well because this game is BRILLIANT! but no perfect! this game sets the bar for other games in the future, but it sets the bar high for itsealf as well.. normally in other games you would look past that the AI sometimes acts a bit wird, like not seeing your AI friend, though i must say it does not do that often!! but the game itself is such a high standart that you can't ignore it like in other games! this games is THE best narrative story game ever!! you get attach to this game like no other and you really feel their pain and love from the characters, the graph is stunning and the gameplay is fantastic! i would love to give this game perhaps 9.8, meaning it is so freaking good, but not perfect! but when you see Reviews from former Xbox loosers who rates it 0 or 4.. thats so dumb.. its so freaking dumb, and thats why i have to give it a full 10!! its like a film guy who loves titanic gets to review Resident evil.. dont.. this game is the best PS3 game, and possibly the best console game ever made! dont miss out! Expand
  40. Jun 14, 2013
    In short, this is "THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED IN MY LIFE" A perfect masterpiece in every aspect. Great gameplay.... fun, intense, realistic, and challenging ! Brilliant story, filled with a lot of emotions that will keep you so attached to this game and its characters ! Outstanding graphics, amazing and realistic animations, and breathtaking cut-scenes ! A remarkable experience that you would never forget Expand
  41. Jun 18, 2013
    This is hands down the best game I've ever played. Awesome gameplay. And the story is by far the best in any game.
    It is also the first game ever that has made me cry.
    Naughty Dog gets everything right with this game. The voice acting, environment, characters, atmosphere and music is amazing.
  42. Jun 17, 2013
    Boy was I wrong in my initial review. This is by far the most stunning game I have ever played. Yes the game at times gets very repetitive (look for things sneak around repeat) and graphics (not design) are a bit outdated but can't really score it low because the level design, characters and game are just the best. I love how the characters emotions grow and change throughout the game.

I really hope naughty dog work a bit harder on the game play next time and change it up so it isn't just about looking for materials for crafting and sneaking around. Otherwise the game is perfect. Best PS3 game by far. I thought Uncharted 2 would be my fond memory of my ps3 but The Last of Us gives us an amazing farewell to the current generation of consoles.
  43. Jun 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Eu não sei o que eu posso dizer sobre este jogo, sem revelar nada, mas vou dizer-lhe que facilmente entre os dez primeiros jogos que eu joguei, e joguei um monte de jogos bons, também os personagens de Joel e Ellie são absolutamente brilhante, acho que Ellie tem uma premissa tão incrível, e Joel parece ter sido afetado pela infecção de uma forma bastante realista. A única b ad coisa que posso dizer sobre este jogo que, como bom como eu não acho que para todo mundo, algumas pessoas podem ser adiadas pela atmosfera e violência dentro do jogo, enquanto alguns vão amá-lo pelo mesmo motivo. Se você está pensando em comprar este jogo, então eu recomendo comprá-lo. Expand
  44. Jun 18, 2013
    My real score would be a 9.5 but im just rounding it up. The graphics and story are 10/10 but the gameplay would be like an 8 for me. Also the friendly ai can get in your way sometimes but nothing too bad.
  45. Jun 16, 2013
    O jogo incrível acredito que a partir de agora veremos mais jogos com a mesma alma de The Last of Us, não dei 10 porque os personagens secundários durante o jogo não alteram o comportamento dos inimigos.
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    i am amazed at Sony for putting out a must own masterpiece at the end of every console cycle. The PS2 had God of War 2 and now PS3 has The Last of Us. I felt i was in a post apocalyptic world and that doom was right around the corner at every moment. The thrills and scares in this game are perfect, the graphics are mind blowing, and the acting and story just rival block buster movies to perfection. Please get this game ASAP and shame on the pathetic nintendo and xbot fanboys spreading hate on the reviews to lower the score... it is so stupid when everyone knows the last of us eclipses any crap from the other consoles Expand
  47. Jun 14, 2013
    Story/premise: The Last of Us plot is unpredictable and truly terrifying, but it's about the two main characters, Joel and Ellie as they form a father/daughter relationship as they traverse through a post-apocalyptic United States claimed by nature. The story is dark and brutal, more so than any other game that I've ever played before. The infected in this game
    is something unprecedented
    in the post-apocalytpic genre, as the humans are mutated and infected by a fungus known as Cordyceps.

Visuals: The visuals of the Last of Us is beautiful and stunning. The textures are so rich in detail. Everything from the foliage, to the characters, to the world's objects are rife with details that one would think it's impossible for an 8 year old hardware to pump such impressive visuals. It might not be a huge leap from how Uncharted: Drake's Fortune to Uncharted 2: Among Thieves was, but it is certainy a leap, nonetheless. But that is to be expected from a developer that pushed the boundaries of graphics ahead of any game on consoles. It safe to say that The Last of Us in some way surpasses Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception, many would agree this is the best looking game on consoles, and I agree.
    Considering how Naughty Dog used every juice left in the PS3's aging hardware, it definitely is the best looking game on consoles.

Gameplay: The gameplay is as I expected. Although to some it may not be fun due to the fact that the combat is supposed to be in a way realistic. Joel is a veteran, brutal and ruthless survivor, but that does not make him a super-solider where he could aim a gun with 100% accuracy, that's not to be expected from a game like The Last of Us.
    Joel wobbles and has a sense of weight as he aims with his guns that he acquires throughout his journey, and that adds a sense of desperation and tension to the combat, it's really fun and challenging at the same time. But, of course, you could always improve the aiming and lessen the wobbly-ness by upgrading your skills by acquiring supplements throughout the game's
    world. The crafting system is one of the best I've ever seen in a game, it's also all in real-time, so that adds another sense of tension as you have to be careful when to craft items. Fortunately, you're able to upgrade your skills to quickly craft an item. That being said, you're not able to upgrade all of Joel's skills at one-playthrough, so this encourages
    players to play again through the New Game Plus option that retains your skills and upgrades from the previous saved game.
    The close melee combat in the game is also brutal as you're able to pick up planks, pipes and hatchets and even upgrade them with spikes and barbed wires. It's effective to a certain extent, as the weapons you carried can break after a certain amount of hits than you've dealt to an enemy. The durability and strength of each weapon varies.
    The gameplay also gives you the option to whether go in guns-blazing, but that's kind of a bad idea as ammos are scarce or if a player prefers to play stealthly. I can say that the stealth aspect of the game is fun. Joel can go into a Listen Mode that gives a highlight to enemies near by that makes sound, that adds another way for you to plan your next move and strategize.
    You also have the ability to crouch this time around and the cover system is much more dynamic than what we're used to in the Uncharted games. Keep in mind that the Clickers are able to kill you in one bite, so you have to be careful, but you're still able to kill them with a shiv. Both the infecteds and the human conflicts and encounters are both equally challenging as the dynamic AI is unlike anything I've seen before.
    Ellie does occasionally help by throwing a bottle or brick at an enemy when Joel is in danger, she'd also come running to you to help you as she stabs an enemy to free you. The same goes to other secondary characters that'll join in the adventure for a awhile. Replayability in this game is what you'd expect from games like the Uncharted series, with a lot of collectibles to find. The game took me literally 25 hours to complete as I was scouring every nook and cranny in the game for supplies. This is definitely the longest game, Naughty Dog has ever made. Add multiplayer, and you've got yourself a game worth purchasing.
    Sound design: The sound design is astonishing and highly detailed in basically everything, but most of all is the terrifying sound of the Runners and Clickers that'll surely keep some players' heart pumping as they hear the clicking sound of a Clicker. Soundtrack is emotional and stunning.

This game is a masterpiece and I can see why, with all the praise and perfect scores it garnered, this is one of the greatest game of this generation and probably of all time and one that'll surely be discussed for years to come. I give this game a perfect score. The ending certainly got me thinking for days, it was something unpredictable.
  48. Jun 18, 2013
    I don't think I have ever played a game like this. Saying this game was great would be an understatement. The game has an amazing story and is also helped by its incredible gameplay and characters. You take the role of Joel in a post-apocalyptic world, your job is to take Ellie (who I believe is the character of this generation) to a rebel group "the Fireflies". During your journey you will find characters that you can love and also hate. Not only Joel and Ellie's love grow, your love for these characters will also grow. If you can play one game in your life PLAY THIS!!! Expand
  49. Jun 17, 2013
    After the first 3 hours or so, this game really opens up. It's boring til that point, but then becomes something you can't put down. The graphics are beautiful and the story is incredibly well-written. You feel a bond with them and genuinely want to see them succeed.
  50. Jun 15, 2013
    Look, without spoiling anything, I will just say this: The Last of Us is one of the best games of all time, no exaggeration. If you're a (real) gamer you will enjoy this. I don't recommend for those that don't pay attention to stories though, because Story is the best thing about this game. Buy this masterpiece!
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is superb. I'm at a loss of words when trying to figure out how Naughty Dog could come up with such a masterpiece, but yet again, when have they not? This is a must own for ALL gamers.
  52. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us centers around a man and his companion, Ellie. They travel across the country in search of a cure for a virus that has threatened to eliminate mankind. The virus is a fungus, and over time it's victims become very grotesque and disturbing. There are 3 main enemies (not counting the military and other humans), they are "Clickers", "Runners", and "Bloaters". Bloaters being the toughest of the tough, and clickers being downright terrifying. Along the way they meet other survivors who are not trying to kill them, and trust me there are a lot trying to kill them, and you begin to develop feelings for these characters. Especially the two main characters. The gameplay was fantastic and left you with enough ammo to have fun, but not enough to make this game centered around action. This game is about stealth and although I went combat due to the amount of time it would have taken me if I would have been sneaky, I still found it to be an incredible game. That's why I give it 10 Clickers out of 10. Expand
  53. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't know how people can review this game red. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but come on! Zero?! I noticed that the reviewer who scored it this low also scored Battlefield 3 a 10 out of 10. I think multiplayer FPSs are probably more his cup of tea. I'm not a massive fan of that genre but I do know good gameplay, a strong narrative and great graphics when I see them. This game has got a few flaws I agree, but bad graphics is definitely not one of them (he surely must have been playing a different game). This is a slow paced, stealth orientated adventure game. You have to be patient and play strategically. The multiplayer might be a bit more fast paced but I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced that side of it yet. This is a game you take your time with, lose yourself in and you really will get the best out of it. On a side note, what about that prologue? In a word...stunning. As is the game overall. Expand
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played in my life!!!!!! I will certainly play this again after i finish it.Those who gave it a negative review are just Xbox fanboys who are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is sick, from the demo to the full release it deserves a 10 all the way! I'm tired of people saying this game is over-rated or not a survival game, because dieing has no adverse effects other then having to re-do a segment of the game. First off, you want to talk about over rated? Go look up some reviews for COD or Halo or Gears. I mean these god damn fan boys ruin gaming for all of us you can have your own personal opinion but please, you wouldn't know over rated if it smacked you in the face? Naughty Dog is possibly one of the best video game developers around every game they make is a top tier triple A blockbuster and idc what anyone says. And touching on the point of survival NOT EVERY GAME IS DAY Z OR STATE OF DECAY. I mean its absolutely foolish to say it doesn't punish you enough for dieing so its not a survival game? I mean really? Is dead space not survival horror? Is RE 4 not survival horror, i mean honestly people complain that current gen games are running out of creativity and then you don't make it like another game and every bi**hes its crazy. But for everyone out there who's not a fool, this game deserves your attention. Stunning graphically, combat and controls are perfect, I started playing last night and had a serious debate about calling out of work! Multiplayer is fun but not as good as the campaign if you haven't picked this game up yet DO IT, NOW!! lol Expand
  56. Jun 15, 2013
    Amazing game. I woke up to play it this morning played for 10 hours, than started on a harder difficulty. Really great story, has an emotional weight laced throughout the game, and had great game play to boot with the addition of the crafting system. Definitely a must own, and game of the year. Story beats the Walking dead telltale series, and Infinite Story. If you can handle the tear jerking I highly suggest you get this game and experience the pS3s Swan Song. Expand
  57. Jun 18, 2013
    Gorgeous game that done almost perfectly. You just start playing and time disappears to you! Superb characters and storytelling. The toughest and bloodiest fightings feels very real. Unprecedented attention to details. Great graphic, especially interior lighting have never seen such great almost photo-realistic light! Must have for everyone that plays!
  58. Jun 18, 2013
    Here it is the beginning of the end film industry. None of the films made in the last few years, did not cause me so many emotions. If such high quality games will start to appear more frequently than once every 5 years, the movie has no chance!
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    Naughty Dog at it's Best!

Brilliant Characters, Storyline and Gameplay Maybe to Hard for some, but the apocalypse is not for ****

A Milestone!
  60. Jun 16, 2013
    Best game ever, I'm at the museum and I can't believe how so well made is everything... I don't get the bad critics, probably come from.angry xbox fans, there is nit other reason.
  61. Jun 17, 2013
    Game of the generation. I never thought I would give that title to a AAA title, but this game has it all. Great writing, amazing graphics, pitch-perfect gameplay, and loads of suspense. If Uncharted was a horror franchise it would be The Last of Us. Take all of the action/adventure set pieces of the UC franchise and turn them into suspense/horror. I was literally on the edge of my seat last night when I was playing this game. I think I'm pretty far in, and so far I'm completely blown away by how amazing this game is. If Naughty Dog could make this on the PS3, I can;'t wait to see what they do on the PS4. Expand
  62. Jun 16, 2013
    This game truly innovates at its own pace, the story is compelling, the graphics are stunning and the game design immerses you in a daunting post apocalyptic future.
  63. Jun 17, 2013
    The best game i have ever played.
    Almost every part of this game is incredible.

Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game.
    Perfect gameplay. Nothing is complicated, and its always varied. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections of the game, stealth, guns blazing, evasion. You can do it however you want,
    and it never feels repetitive.

The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story.
  64. Jun 16, 2013
    One of my top 10 of all time. Amazing game. This is how you tell a linear story a narrative that moves through the whole game seamlessly. There's only so much you can do with this genre/setting, but Naughty Dog keeps it fresh. Anyone writing crap reviews is angry over the save bug (fixed) or they're just not into a game that's about mood, story & characters. If you just want to shoot stuff and be OP, you're more than welcome to stay away. Expand
  65. Jun 16, 2013
    There isn't a game that can be called "perfect", however there are games where the pros are so many and are so perfectly executed that there is no way a couple of flaws in the game are going to affect your entire experience while playing it.
    The Last of Us is one of those games where even if the game has his fare share of flaws they never seemed to affect the entire experience.
    The good
    things about the game are well... pretty much everything that you would consider to make an amazing modern game, everything is in there, the voice acting is incredible, the graphics and visuals are stunning.
    Meanwhile i was playing i couldn't avoid to just stop for a minute to look at every inch of detail that is being put on to the graphics, is just stunningly beautiful to just see how much effort was put into this specific department.
    Aside from that, the gameplay is just excellent.
    To me playing the last of us was an amazing experience, that not that many games out there makes me have for so long as the last of us has had me experiencing, the crafting system is clean, fast, easy, and rewarding, whenever i felt like i was in a foxhole because a hunter was coming straight at me, i just went and checked what i could craft that might kill him or at least distract him long enough for me to make my next move, and the end result was just him going up into flames caused by the just crafted molotov that i threw to him.
    The story is the huge thing about "The Last of Us" is just one of those stories that keep getting much more complex and at the same time much more interesting while you keep playing it through, without getting to a point where it becomes tedious or annoyingly complex like some other amazing games might happen to have.
    Every character is just extremely likable, even the ones that want you to feel mildly disgusted by them they just seem to have such an appreciation that comes from the player just on how well done they are for you to feel that way about them.
    This being made by the excellent voice acting the top notch animations both in cutscenes and in gameplay and of course the stunning visuals that are the most noticeable aspect of the game by many.
    So the story is excellent, the graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay is fun and entertaining, well, how about the audio, the voice acting and the animations?
    Im pleased to say that each and every single one of those departments delivers such an awesome and dedicated job just as the others.
    The voice acting is amazing one of the best i've ever heard in any video game, is just flawless in most of the different situations that you hear it.
    You can tell when they're scared and shocked by something, even if in some cases it my recycle, like when you bash someones skull with a pipe and then you take cover, Ellie would say "holy s**t Joel!" and then you just go and shoot someone in the head and she would say the line again. But it's never something that breaks you out of the experience although is something obviously noticeable.
    The animations are are the most incredible animations that i've ever seen in a game in my life, and i've played pretty much 90% of games that have come out since the snes, is just flawless when i saw Joel's mouth cringe and his general facial expression showing a sign of struggle coming from a hunter trying to slit his throat with a glass shard, it just adds so much to the experience seeing the animations of this game perform flawlessly in combat or in different small chats that Joel and Ellie might have from time to time.

In conclusion i think "The Last of Us" is the best game for the ps3 and one of the best games that i've ever played is just impressive how Naughty Dog just used every single tool from modern technology and managed to deliver an incredible experience that is gruesome, heartbreaking, and extremely violent in every single way possible, and at the same time just leave you with your stomach tight, your head still and your jaw dropped from playing such a masterpiece.
  66. Jun 14, 2013
    Yet another amazing game from the studio Naughty Dog. Phenomenal voice acting, gameplay, soundtrack, immersion, atmosphere. The multiplayer is also very interesting with its tense, strategic, gameplay mechanics. You know you are getting your money's worth and more when you purchase a Naughty Dog game.
  67. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. No game has ever provoked such desperation in me. I thrive to stay alive even though you get to repeat a section if you fail. This truly is a milestone in gaming. The amount of appreciation I have for naughty dog is at an all time high. Wizardry!
  68. Jun 14, 2013
    Surpreendente jogo, a volta do genero survival com uma imersão profunda nas hisotria e nos personagens. Um ponto positivo para o audio que impressiona muito. O melhor jogo de survival da geração.
  69. Jun 14, 2013
    I rarely give a 10 to any game, but since I started playing The Last of Us, I just cannot put it down. It is an awesome experience. Whoever says the graphics are not that good clearly have no idea what they are talking about and are just hating for the sake of hating, this game is gorgeous, nothing better out there right now.
  70. Jun 15, 2013
    I have to comment on other's reviews on this game. Some say the beginning is boring and takes long to start bu really if you cant enjoy a good story and prefer action junkie games that is fine, no need for your comments.The multiplayer is amazing! Never have i seen a game push players to use stealth like this game I rated this 10 because for one thing, great facial expression. Nothing makes me feel better than putting someone in a sleeper hold and being able to turn the camera and see the perfeft expression, rather than most games where they pass out with this face And *short tiny unimportant spoiler) when the first important character dies, the FACIAL EXPRESSION URGHHH eminated real emotions :P anyways completely worth the money. Why are you still reading this you could've bought the game already and seen for yourself. ALSO if you can't appreciate a good game and prefer something like Dead Island, I pity your console. Expand
  71. Jun 17, 2013
    I just finished this game on hard (about to start it on survivor), and it blew me away. Everything about The Last of us is crisp and clean. The gameplay is stellar and will have you're heart racing with intense moments around every corner. Needles to say, the voice acting and story are what really stand out about it. If you aren't moved by this game then there may be something wrong with you. Anyways, if you have a ps3 and don't have this game, go get it. NOW. You won't regret it. $60 well spent. Oh and the multiplayer is icing on the cake. I'm having loads of fun with it too. I can't wait until some of my friends get this to play it with me. Expand
  72. Jun 17, 2013
    Naughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in me still.

Right from the beginning it is apparent how much work went into this masterpiece. Every area, every object and every character is rendered in exquisite detail. Small things like a reflection in a glossy portrait to a bandage you freshly placed on a wounded body all add up to an experience that feels ultimately...real. You feel the desperation of this broken world .

To complement this you are given, in true Naughty Dog fashion, an amazing cast of characters. Every character is unique with his or her own circumstances. You come to like character and hate them almost immediately. Joel and Ellie in particular portray a natural chemistry that you rarely see even in cinema. Ashley Johnson's performance of Ellie sinks it home, showing you just how amazing mo-cap can be.

Almost overshadowing these strong points is a breathtaking score by Gustavo Santaolalla. Naughty Dog could not have picked a better composer. Gustavo's acoustic guitar chills you to the bone and each track is ultimate crafted to deliver each scene perfectly. The sound effects as well help blur the lines between reality and fantasy. The clicking sounds of a Clicker serves as an awesome example of small sound effects causing real emotion. You will panic. A lot.

Overall it is just really difficult to put words into what this game makes you feel. If you have a PS3 and have not played this game, you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if it doesn't affect you the same way it has me there is no denying the experience being worthwhile. Do it.
  73. Jun 23, 2013
    The only thing I can really say about The Last of Us is that its something, as a gamer, your gonna want to experience. It has no Uncharted esc moments of epic superhero fun. In fact in this game you can't really say that you are playing as "heroes" and the people you are brutally killing, aren't always bad guys. Its the sort of game that sends chills up your back and keeps you up at night after you finish it. I can't recommend this enough to lovers of good games or good stories. Not only is this a definitive system seller for the Playstation is cements Naughty Dog as a system seller themselves. After seeing this sort of game I don't need to have an announcement or knowledge of what NG will bring to the PS4. Just knowing that they're gonna keep making games is enough to make me fork out my cash and put my faith in Playstation. Expand
  74. Jun 14, 2013
    I will mention only graphic here. While the graphic slowdown and jaggies occasionally happen, its just a reminder of how old PS3 is, not the lag of talent of Naught Dog team. The lighting and shadow casting are the best in games. But the most important thing is this game had presences the most beautiful apocalypse world ever made. Developers had taken great care on building every detail of the whole city to the smallest detail. The roads, trees, toys, books, posters and everything had been crafted and destructed perfectly to make you believe. Just travelling around the game is worth $60. I can't hardly wait to see this game and more Naughty Dog's games on PS4. Expand
  75. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us is simply a wonder to behold. Joel, Ellie and all ancillary characters are the most developed characters I've ever had the pleasure of encountering in a video game. This is not only the best game to be released during this generation of consoles but maybe the best piece of media as well. Bravo Naughty Dog. I can't get enough of this masterpiece.
  76. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is why I play video games, and is truly the PS3's mantra for games to come.. I've yet to ever post any type of fan boy esque review, but if there ever was a time, this is it. Sucker Punch has continued to provide my beloved console with gems (ie Uncharted) but this epic creation is on a whole new level. Almost enough for one to buy the console just to experience it. From its breathtaking visuals, it's writing, it's ability to make you feel and keep you glued in from setpiece to setpiece, it is perhaps the best video game I've ever played (30+ years of gaming). MGS4 set the bar a while ago and this has blown it out of the water. Don't even think about it. Go out and not only buy this today, but keep it as it will be talked about for years to come. God bless you Sucker punch and PS3. Expand
  77. Jun 15, 2013
    Very nice game. I play something about 2 hours, but was enough to make this review.
    The graphics is the best of ps3, however make we miss the next gen or a game for hardcore pc.

The story is very nice, the ambient is very beatiful. I didnt look for multiplayer yet.
  78. Jun 14, 2013
    I have only played the game for a few hours but from what I have played I can safely say that this game lives up to the hype and the high critic scores. The thing that has really stuck out with me the most in my time playing the game is literally the sounds. I was afraid that I would not get the full impact because I do not have surround sound, and I can only imagine what it is like playing the game with a massive entertainment system, but nonetheless even on a regular HDTV with no extra speakers, the sounds of the game truly are amazing. The echoes off the walls, the birds and bugs buzzing around, amazing. The game is flat-out beautiful, not only does it run well but the vibrant colors you experience as you play through the game. I have spent a good deal of time just walking around looking at things while there is a break in the action.

I really only had a few gripes so far with the game, but I didn't feel that it was a reflection on the game itself, that is why I did not detract from the score I gave. One, I wish it was just a little bit more non-linear, and Two I was hoping bartering could happen between your character and NPC's in the game, perhaps this happens later and I just haven't reached that part I don't know. But for future installments I hope Naughty Dog gives just a little bit more freedom. All I have to say is I was NOT expecting to be shocked within the first ten minutes of the game, O.M.G.
  79. Jun 15, 2013
    This has definitely to be one of the greatest games in 2013. All the hype for this game has not gone to vain, It delivers more than expected. Naughty Dog has managed to combine good game-play, great graphics and and excellent story-line to create a masterpiece titled The Last Of Us.
  80. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is really beautiful, I'm not disappointed naughty dog's. Graphics, gameplay, characters, he gives everything it's really fun i love this game
  81. Jun 15, 2013
    Mere words cannot describe the emotional epic story this game has to offer. All I can say is that if you like a game with a good story and loveable characters get this right away (unless your a xbox user). Its an experience that any true gamer will enjoy.
  82. Jun 23, 2013
    Games that take place in a post-apocalyptic world and games about zombies are pretty common these days. It may be easy to write off The Last of Us as another zombie apocalypse game but it is much more than that. The story revolves around the outbreak of a mysterious fungus that infects humans and turns them into violent zombies (called the “Infected” but same premise). The pandemic has resulted in the decimation of humanity as we know it. Twenty years after the outbreak, civilized society has deteriorated and the world has become a dangerous place. Various zombies stalk the land and threaten all living beings. The few remaining humans are forced to choose between being imprisoned into militarized quarantine zones for safety or live on the outside and fight for their survival by any means necessary. There are no morals in this world. As Joel, your job will be to survive the chaotic world and escort a young girl name Ellie to a group of rebels. (Luckily, Ellie is not the typical escort victim and almost always takes care of herself and even helps Joel.) The two make an odd pair but the evolution of their bond is one of the most captivating things about the game. The story, delivered by some fantastic voice actors and cinematic cut-scenes, paints a ruthless future for mankind. Due to the nature of the world, the gameplay revolves around the concept of survival. It is an unforgiving world and you will need to fight strategically if you want to live. Supplies are scare and dangers are plentiful. This is one a game where "run and gun" rarely works and stealth plays a very important role. The combat is tense and unforgiving at first, but you will be eased into it in the early stages. It is a satisfying experience once you get the hang of it. A notable aspect of combat is that enemies are completely oblivious to your companions when they run within enemy sight or make audible noise. This was a development design to prevent frustrations from poor AI, though it does hurt the immersion a bit. Visually, the game is arguably one of the best looking console games ever made and is complimented by a minimalistic but atmospheric soundtrack. Exploring the beautiful, decayed world reveals the stories of a once thriving population now on the brink of extinction. There are some minor graphical glitches and a few rare instances of missing sound effects, but these flaws are easily ignorable. Taken as a whole, the game paints a brutally honest and realistic post-apocalyptic future for mankind. It is an engrossing adventure and one where you will feel a range of emotions. From the chaotic introduction to the dark ending, The Last of Us draws you in and sends you on a brutal, thought provoking adventure that leaves its mark on the player. Expand
  83. Jun 17, 2013
    This isn't just the best game of the year, but it's easily the best game of this console generation. Somehow Naughty Dog were able to push the PS3 beyond what Uncharted 2 & 3 did and managed to make the best looking PS3 game hands down. Quite honestly, this is next-gen game on the PS3 and it is breathtaking. Naughty Dog has also crafted a beautiful, emotional story that engages you from the very beginning and doesn't let go until you reach a very emotional conclusion. The personality injected into Joel and Ellie is awe-inspiring. These aren't just characters in another video game; these are living breathing people that you care about deeply. Moving on, everything else about the game is top-notch. The A.I. is challenging and extremely smart. Quite a few times I thought I was safe behind cover, when an enemy would sucker punch me and cause me to rethink my strategy. The music is brilliant and used to great effect. The sound design overall is amazing, especially at creating suspense. The "Clickers" noise is especially eerie and you can't help but freeze and hide as soon as you hear it. The voice acting is also superb from the entire cast. There are a couple of glitches or oddities, like friendly NPCs walking through you or the fact that if your character is hiding, enemies will not react to your friendly NPCs running around looking for cover. These are forgivable though, considering that they are no such things as perfect games. Regardless, this game deserves a perfect score. One of the best games of the year. Definitely worth your time and money. I recommend you play this as soon as possible. Expand
  84. Jun 15, 2013
    One of the best games this gen. I'm not overhyping it to get people to buy it. Nope. This is a genuine review. The Last of Us is a masterpiece, in ever way. From story to gameplay to graphics (which might not seem that impressive to some after the next gen reveals at E3) to voice acting, etc. The game is simply perfect. Get it as soon as possible.
  85. Jun 15, 2013
    This is not a zombie game, for all the people who are saying this is a zombie game. They have seriously missed a freaking awesome plot and completely missed a major part of the game.

http://youtu.be/XuKjBIBBAL8 watch this short video ,it explains what is going on. dont watch if you dont wanna know.
  86. Jun 14, 2013
    Amazing game, from minute you'll be hooked by the story, one of, if not the best story in a game ever.
    The world is deep and credible, you will want to look around and see the story that even just the environment is telling.
    Character's are some of the most lovable in modern gaming, you will be surprised by how much you care about them when playing.
    Sound, graphics are all top notch,
    gameplay works great.
    GOTY right here!
  87. Jun 18, 2013
    This game had me hooked right from the start. Amazing character development with characters that I actually care about. The environments are some of the most beautiful I've ever seen. I haven't been this obsessed with a game, ever. It is a piece of art that will be remembered not just as one of the finest games ever created, but one of the finest stories ever told.
  88. Jun 16, 2013
    I just finished this game and Naughty Dog did it again. They are the best developers by far and they delivered their best game to date. The Game looks stunning, the atmosphere gives you chills at times and the game as a whole is nearly perfect. It reminded me a lot of Walking Dead and other Survival/Zombie Movies and the story was really interesting and was a perfect fit. The animations and soundeffects are top notch, i cant recall a game with better animations. The Crafting system is interesting, you constantly search for loot and this is finally a game where you really have to make every bullet count. There were a couple of times where i had 5 shots left and had to manage somehow. This added to the tension a lot and made it even better. There is so much small stuff to explore, the world feels real and believable. I seriously can´t point out a single bit i didn´t like, this is the best game of this console generation. Seriously play this game! Even the length was good. It took me 12.30 hours to finish it, but i didn´t find every hidden detail. I will replay the game for sure and get everything next time. I just had to know how it ended.
    I can´t wait for Naughty Dogs next game, they deliver the best gaming experiences that you can get.
  89. Jun 15, 2013
    What a game. From the visuals and voice acting, to the tight and high stakes combat system this game has it all. My only complaint is the slow character progression in the first play through. Resources are scarce and scavenging consumes an appropriate amount of time while maintaining the flow of the game. Nothing like walking into a room full of clickers with one shiv and two bullets. I am thoroughly enjoying The Last of Us and recommend it to anyone curious about the Naughty Dog Apocalypse. Expand
  90. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best game i have played this gen nothing come close to it story AI gameplay music
    the story is very deep and rish
    you care abot the characters
    the music is top notch
    the AI have minor flaws yet better than any game i have played

The Last Of Us is a Masterpiece
  91. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Despite a few minor glitches, the character development and the story within each one pulls me away that lets me accept The Last of Us into a perfect well made game. The gameplay for me was very smooth and I had no trouble at all. My slight complain would of been that I hardly found any ammo, but I figured that was just part of the survival and the hard mode. I do wish the music was more vibrant throughout the entire game, like in the ending, where you are holding Ellie and escaping. Rather than your typical good ending (save the day, everyone is cure), or your bad ending (Ellie dies, no cure), I like how Naughty Dog went super in-depth with Joel's character. We see him at the beginning loose his daughter, and we all know something like that can be seriously painful to a person. If you payed attention to the game, you'll notice Joel starts to get attached with Ellie and eventually he just doesn't want to let her go. At some point he even says he can't live without her (he paraphrased it differently). Joel knew Ellie could have done so much for humanity and the vaccine's progression would have been successful, but he lost himself with her because of his loss. His heart was broken and he wanted to replace it with something similar to his daughter's heart. I think (at least me) I would of just done the same and just carried on my life with Ellie rather than see her perish before my eyes just for some vaccine, despite lying to her and not telling her the truth about what happened. (I actually kind of felt bad there when he said "I swear". She deserves to know the truth, especially since she lost everyone as well, or was abandoned).

The ending to me was rather more depressing than any other emotion, and it seriously struck me hard. Naughty Dog, you truly are naughty. Thank you for an amazing experience.
  92. Jun 27, 2013
    I have played the single player about 2 and a half times and not a second of got boring or repetitive. Great story, great graphics, great gameplay and solid AI. The multiplayer adds a good bonus to keep you playing and it in itself is unique. Their are very minor flaws such as AI sometimes break out of character but those quickly become an afterthought as the story will suck you back in. Totally worth $60 Expand
  93. Jun 16, 2013
    This game brings back the survival-horror and stealth genre into business, with tight controls, like a polished Uncharted if you must. Totally immersive dialogue, sound and graphics, and the story is nicely spread out through cut-scenes and in-game dialogue-- and everything, from the story to the gameplay, is nicely constructed in a learn-as-you go structure. The gunplay could be better, but over-all this is a must buy, genre redefining, swan song for the PS3. Expand
  94. Jun 18, 2013
    A must have if you own a PS3. 9.5/10
    One of the best games I have ever played but for a game to be given a 10/10, it must be completely flawless. When the AI (Tess, Ellie etc) are sprinting around when you're trying to be sneaky, running into clickers and runners it kind of takes away from the immersion, this is the only thing I dislike about this game. If Metacritic allowed 0.5 ratings I
    would have given it a 9.5 because this otherwise major flaw is tiny in comparison to the beautiful world you are thrown in to as you watch the relationship between Ellie and Joel develop. Absolutely beautiful game. Collapse
  95. Jun 29, 2013
    Step 1: Stop reading reviews of Metacritic

Step 2: Go to your local game store and purchase Last of Us.

Step 3: Play.

Yes, it's that good. One of the best single player games I have ever played. Period.
  96. Jun 15, 2013
    Pros: Excellent graphics for the nearly eight year old PS3 with consistently smooth frame rates and animations. The level design is not very complex, but the attention to detail is astounding. I never felt like I was visiting the same place twice. Areas are also designed in such a way that multiple paths or styles of play are possible for completing them. Great story, believable and memorable characters. Superb voice acting. The crafting system is not revolutionary but, because multiple items require the same materials, forces you to make tough decisions regarding what you think you will need and what kind of play style you're going for. For example, molotovs and med packs use the same supplies, so you're forced to balance increased offense with survival. Also, because crafting takes place in real time and because you can only carry a limited amount of equipment, you can't simply pause the game to craft a bomb and then throw it at your foes. Combat and stealth are really tense and every shot counts. You absolutely cannot run and gun this game.

Cons: Sometimes you have to figure out how to traverse certain areas in the game, a bit of light puzzle solving. But all of this boils down to searching an area for a ladder or plank and becomes pretty transparent after the first few times. Character movements and animations can sometimes get a bit clippy. When in melee combat a number of times, attacks would not connect when enemy NPCs were in certain animations. Additionally, my melee attacks also pushed NPCs into terrain or objects making me unable to hit them, but they were still able to attack me. I was forced to back up a bit and leave myself open to other attacks just so the NPC I was attacking would get itself unstuck. The stealth segments are great, but tend to break the immersion when you have Ellie or other friendly NPCs following you. Certain zombies in the game use sonar and are attracted to loud noises. You have to crouch and move very carefully, but the NPCs following you will often sprint short distances when these zombies are only a few yards away and no enemies are alerted. When sneaking around human NPCs, those following you will sometimes expose themselves trying to keep up with you but again not get detected by the enemy NPCs. I admit the game would be unnecessarily difficult if goofy AI quirks broke your stealth, but once you figure this out, stealth segments are far less challenging than they first appear.

The multiplayer at first glance appears tacked on, but the real time crafting is a major component of the gameplay. Sneaking around with your team, scavenging materials, and crafting equipment to use against your enemies is ridiculously rewarding. The multiplayer levels are well designed, too.

Even though I've never been a fan of the Uncharted games, I find The Last of Us way more enjoyable. The characters are more believable, the story is more engaging, and while the gameplay in some ways has less to offer, the real time crafting, tension, and pace of combat are way more impactful than what Uncharted offered.
  97. Jun 14, 2013
    Top 3 games of this generation imo... it's up there with BioShock Infinite and Uncharted 2. Emotional story, great graphics, great gameplay, great sound... nearly perfect.
  98. Jun 15, 2013
    Naughty Dog does it again, an amazing ,engaging experience that leaves you wanting more.
    If you like adventure games or any game in general this is a must buy
  99. Jun 15, 2013
    Truly a masterpiecee. Not a dull moment in the game. It took me 12 and a half hours to beat game on normal and I will be replaying it. Never has a game ever went into the mind of a person like this. The addition of stealth is very good. The chance of just walking by people or just shooting them makes it a completely different feel to the game. The story is so well made you really fall in love with Joel and Ellie on there adventure. Even the multiplayer is surprisingly very fun. The best game I have EVER played 10/10. Expand
  100. Jun 16, 2013
    Having been affected by the AutoSave glitch I started off pretty much hating this game... Having to replay 7 hours on the trot makes a guy really pick out the things he dislikes about a game: camera is too close to Joal when sneaking, slightly heavy controls and cumbersome movement, too much repetition (go here fight these guys, go here fight these guys), the recycled soundtrack used over and over in different tones...

However, once I caught up with my original play through I started warming to it again. I am seeing a lot of 10/10 scores for this game which leads me to suspect that professional games reviewers are a bit like sheep, with no-one daring to buck the trend... and whilst I don't think its a 10/10 game it is certainly VERY GOOD. The voice acting and animation are second to none and the visuals are very impressive. The sound effects are fitting and the music does occasionally change to a different track once in a while... I think the crafting system could have been much deeper and also the skills that you level up make little to no difference on the easier modes, so that could have done with tweaking...

I recently reviewed remember me on the Xbox... to me this game feels a lot like that did in the sense that something great was made but a masterpiece was possible. I love everything they did with the direction of this game... I just wanted even more (hunting for food, more craftable items, a deeper skill system...).

A must play game of this generation. Makes you wonder why we even need the XBOXONE and PS4...
  101. Jun 18, 2013
    A must have if you own a PS3. 9.5/10

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]