• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jul 12, 2013
    Recipe for one of the greatest games ever. 1part Resident Evil, 1 part Metal Gear Solid, 1 part Far Cry 3. These are the 3 games that came to mind when playing, "The Last of Us". Whomever was responsible for RE 5 and 6, should be ashamed of themselves after playing this game. This is how Survival horror should be done. I wouldn't be surprised if future developers copy the formula for thisRecipe for one of the greatest games ever. 1part Resident Evil, 1 part Metal Gear Solid, 1 part Far Cry 3. These are the 3 games that came to mind when playing, "The Last of Us". Whomever was responsible for RE 5 and 6, should be ashamed of themselves after playing this game. This is how Survival horror should be done. I wouldn't be surprised if future developers copy the formula for this game. It is a thrilling roller coaster ride of feelings and emotions while playing. It is my first game in which the narrative actually made me uncomfortable during CG scenes. How the developers blended survival horror with stealth was genius. When enemies are alerted, the game actually sounds off with the same alert you hear when playing Metal Gear. It makes me wonder, if they had to liscense that from Konami. Ammo? Yes, there is ammo, and health kits, and craftable items. However, these items are scarce, and when you do come across them. BUCKLE UP!! because your going for a gut wrenching, intense ride of gameplay that you've never experienced. The Uncharted simuarities are here as well. The Graphics, cut scenes, and even some light platforming elements brought Uncharted to mind. The slight visual cues of where to go next we're a nice touch and typical of naughty dog games. My comparison to Far Cry 3 is small, but it was there. Every time you run into a group of enemies, there is a strategy you can formulate to take them all down in your most efficient way possible. Some encounters, you don't even have to fight if you choose the stealthiest path. Good luck with that. Why? because when you encounter your first human enemy, you will be terrified. You will panic and probably try to Call of Duty them to death, and you will lose. Then you will have your first run in with an infected, and the same thing will happen. At some point you will hide behind cover for awhile and hope they just go away. But they won't. You will have to engage at some point and attempt to dispatch them, while your mouth fills with vomit from the constant stress and anxiety you will experience. There is down time. During these moments, things will appear tranquill and serene. You will ask questions of the world created by Naughty Dog. How can post apocolypto be some pretty and f'd up at the same time? After your nerves are racked, there will be moments of, "why is the game prompting me to pick up this weapon?" why is there unlimited ammo for a moment? "OH! so you can kick my ass some more......" End scene, and some down time before they mind F you some more. Unbelieveable. Anyone that owns a PS3 should purchase this game. I personally loved it and hated it at the same time. I am not a fan of stealth games like Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and some of my worst moments of Assassins Creed games. It makes me want to go back and try those games again. I feel like i've just been sent to Survival Horror, Stealth bootcamp. The great part is, the game does a great job of building you up and ripping you down. In it's finale, you will have a variety of killing devices at you diposal. I guarantee you won't use them. Because the game sucks? NO!! because by the time you arrive at the finish line, it's crucibal, you will be a seasoned killing machine, that relys on cunning tactics and stealth to get through. You will feel empowered, like a predator stalking it's prey. Your enemies will fear you, and you will be numb with emotion. All the items in your inventory are there to tease the weak. Those that decide to Rambo their way through the end, will have missed out on what makes it great. Which is why the game punishes you for using that type of strategy. It can be done, but it will be a harder path. Those indaviduals that can stay calm and focus their emotions will get most of what this world is all about. It took me 2 weeks to beat this game. Partly because of my disdain for games like this and also becuase it terrified me. Anymore than 45- 60 min a sitting was all I could stomach. I was petrified of what was waiting for me around every corner. I thought this game was great. It was made for everybody and nobody at the same time. Most people play video games to have fun and let loose. This game is not fun. Not in the way that your used to anyway. Gamers that love this stuff, will......have fun...most of us will be all screwed up and distraught after playing. The thing is, this sort of game has been done before. Just not quite like this. It has a genre unto its own. The Last of Us really does reinvent the wheel to some extent. The reason why it messes with you, is because the experiences it delivers are new and fresh. The same infected zombie that freaked you in the early parts of the game, will still freak you out in the end. The game doesn't give you a chance to be comfortable with your surroundings. Im giving it a ten only because it blew my mind. How could I not. I've been a gamer for 30+ years, and never has a game nocked my nitz off like "The Last of Us". Expand
  2. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a Naughty Dog game, does anything else really need to be said? Expect excellence because this game will gut punch you out of your seat from the very opening scene, and never let you go.
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, definitely in Top 10 at least. I bought my PS3 for this game (and with the added bonus of other great games of course).
  4. Feb 28, 2014
    This is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade yourThis is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade your weapons. I have grown a bit tired of all the unlocks and leveling up in games these days, but its a minor detail here. Playing this title is an experience and it is one of my favourite games of ALL times! Expand
  5. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the best games ever from a story and character development standpoint. People saying this is just a movie? Sure it has 3 hours of cut-scenes, but 10-13 hours of gameplay. This story is so gripping, no other game has made you feel so attached to the characters. This is a masterpiece.
  6. Sep 11, 2013
    The Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the momentThe Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the moment to tug at your emotions to where you want to put yourself in its place. The game is taut, filled with suspense, and makes you think of what people will actually do to survive day by day and you ask yourself, what if this was me. If you haven't played this game yet you are missing out on one of the best experiences that the PlayStation 3 has to offer. If you do not have a PS3 then buy one, because this game will not let you down. Expand
  7. Dec 30, 2013
    We are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feelWe are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feel like going guns blazing to get over it. And while you can go gun blazing, it has its costs: you put yourself and other allies at greater risk, and you end up wasting ammo. Speaking of ammo, you really must conserve as you can't carry much, and finding ammo is rare. And when you do find it, it's not much. So use your guns as a FINAL RESORT. And no rechargeable health here either; it's back to finding medkits. And even though you can carry medkits, using them will leave you vulnerable.

Now onto the story. It is one of the greatest and most personal stories ever written. This isn't about the disease, or mankind. It's about Joel and Ellie. They are very human and you'll want to see how their relationship develops over the course of the story. Not spoiling anything, but let's just say that there are times that will make you say, "Would I have done that?"

As for online, it's quite fun. You really need teamwork. And no gun-blazing or rechargeable health either. Leave you Call of Duty attitude at the door, and you'll do well.

Games like these tell us not to abandon the PS3 yet. And if you don't have a PS3, now is the time. So what if it's 7 years old? That just means you have seven years worth of epic games in its library, and "The Last of Us" is one of them.
  8. Feb 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in rightThe Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in right from the first shot. Game-play-wise it is a strategic stealth/action game that has some of the most brutal action I've seen in any form of entertainment. If you own a PS3 you need to play The Last of Us. You owe it to yourself to play the PS3's crowning jewel! Expand
  9. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have youOne of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have you on the edge of your seat all the way through. I thought I knew how the game would end, but I was surprised. Completed the game in ~14 hours. Expand
  10. Jul 1, 2013
    Purchased the game on the release date.
    Played through the single player story on Hard difficulty. It took me 21 hours to complete.
    Played about 2 hours of multiplayer. My impressions: Story is fantastic. The character development is very good and I liked how the world was fleshed out via optional conversations, newspaper clippings, notes and other artifacts. The graphics are
    Purchased the game on the release date.
    Played about 2 hours of multiplayer.

My impressions:
    The graphics are incredible and probably the best I've seen on PS3. (I saw one review compare this to the PC, which is a stupid and meaningless comparison since the hardware is not comparable).
    The controls are tight, although it took me some time to get accustomed since I don't play many 3rd person games (only played Uncharted 1 for Naughty Dog games).
    Sound is great, with well-suited music that sets the right tone and some scary effects from the infected.
    The gameplay is somewhat limited to the stealth mechanic, although you do gunfight with bandits and use a cover system. I like the stealth mechanic and the listen mode, which allows you to listen and then see enemies through walls.

Multiplayer:
    It's a pretty different experience. Teamwork and stealth are important. There is some decent depth in terms of perk upgrades and weapons. It's 4 v 4 so it's pretty important to work together and it can be tough with strangers who don't mesh. I liked it quite a bit but I am still learning to craft items (like in the single player) and move with strategy.

I've read some other comments and some thing I do agree with:
    Once you've completed the single player you may not want to play again since the story is known. There is a Survivor difficulty which takes away the listen mode and a New Game which still allows you to keep weapon and ability upgrades. There are also collectibles to find, some of which enhance your abilities. I looked as much as possible but missed quite a bit. At the Hard difficulty I had to replay much but I think 15-20 hours is probably normal time.

The mulitplayer is good, but I'm not sure I'm into it enough to play it for a very long time (i.e. 20+ hours). Still a good amount of content though.There is also DLC coming (for both single and multiplayer) if you are into that.

I guess this could be the only criticism that there is somewhat limited replay value but it is there and there are trophies for completionists. I would consider reasonable scores to be 7 -10, anything lower I think is unreasonable but you can decide for yourself.

One last point this game does use an online pass so used sales will probably not have multiplayer access.
  11. Feb 16, 2015
    I'm not usually someone who gives out perfect scores to newer games but I feel that Naughty Dog deserve it for The Last of Us. It's the perfect last title to play on your PS3, with some unforgettable moments (the university level being my personal favorite), interesting gameplay mechanics, and truly impressive visuals for a PS3 exclusive. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves may still be my favoriteI'm not usually someone who gives out perfect scores to newer games but I feel that Naughty Dog deserve it for The Last of Us. It's the perfect last title to play on your PS3, with some unforgettable moments (the university level being my personal favorite), interesting gameplay mechanics, and truly impressive visuals for a PS3 exclusive. Uncharted 2: Among Thieves may still be my favorite PS3 game but The Last of Us is also something truly special -- one of those games that you just need to play all the way through to fully appreciate. Expand
  12. Jun 24, 2013
    I only played some of the story mode but so far it's great. I mean there are flawed moments. How can every story be perfect? I say this is almost perfect and as for multiplayer. I'll say it's like anything I've played so far. Sure it's another shooter but the the whole crafting thing makes it fun and the upgrades on the spot adds a spice to it. I've been playing more of the multiplayer butI only played some of the story mode but so far it's great. I mean there are flawed moments. How can every story be perfect? I say this is almost perfect and as for multiplayer. I'll say it's like anything I've played so far. Sure it's another shooter but the the whole crafting thing makes it fun and the upgrades on the spot adds a spice to it. I've been playing more of the multiplayer but don't get me wrong, the story mode is already epic. In the beginning of it, right off the bat, it's awesome. Naughty Dog has done it again! Expand
  13. Jul 20, 2013
    Ok where to begin! The story line is pretty awesome, my only complain was the ending (not going to give any spoilers) I personally did not fully agree with how the game ended but it makes sense overall so its not going to affect the score. I played through the game fully twice on Hard and Survivor and both times were equally as fun which is very rare to find in a game but as withOk where to begin! The story line is pretty awesome, my only complain was the ending (not going to give any spoilers) I personally did not fully agree with how the game ended but it makes sense overall so its not going to affect the score. I played through the game fully twice on Hard and Survivor and both times were equally as fun which is very rare to find in a game but as with Uncharted, Naughty Dog hit it out of the park. Now to the reason I didn't give it a perfect 10. While I do think the multiplayer has fun and great potential to be great I expected a "horde" mode or some sorta infected/zombie related situation but there is nothing. This pretty much defeats a large portion of the game's focus which is this out break. Beyond that the game was fantastic in almost every way I could imagine possible! Expand
  14. Apr 5, 2014
    The Last of Us is a gorgeous and thrilling game with a superb story and great game mechanics. The graphics are stunning and the characters are very memorable and unique. In terms of gameplay mechanics, it plays like Uncharted without a cover system or a climbing system and much more brutal melee mechanics. It also has a superb multiplayer mode and a New Game+ mode to keep you playing afterThe Last of Us is a gorgeous and thrilling game with a superb story and great game mechanics. The graphics are stunning and the characters are very memorable and unique. In terms of gameplay mechanics, it plays like Uncharted without a cover system or a climbing system and much more brutal melee mechanics. It also has a superb multiplayer mode and a New Game+ mode to keep you playing after you finish the 12+ hour campaign. If you have a PS3, you MUST buy this game. Expand
  15. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is great. It's enjoyable, has a fantastic storyline, and is packed full of emotion and grit.
    The ingame relationship between Joel and Ellie is well made, and shows how they fight for survival against the frightning zombies.While the game does offer some new groundbreaking features, it can get a little bit repetitive.
    The enemies are really well made. Everything from the

The enemies are really well made. Everything from the bandits to the zombies look and feel real. During the Clicker scenes, you can't help feeling scared while you're crawling along the floor with clicking in your ear. The game is very emotional, and all the cutscenes are amazing.

But this game does have some cons. As mentioned by some people, enemies do not react to your team mates (Ellie for example). Especially with Bill, he runs like a bloody elephant, and nothing detects him. But if you screw up one tiny bit, the Clickers'll get you. Also, the shooting mechanics are a bit frustrating. To veteran PS3 players, it's a walk in the park, but me (who is new to consoles), it is difficult aiming a pistol.

(Kudos to the people who designed, animated and created the Clickers. Those are some funky as enemies, and one of the greatest zombie types of all time.)

Regarding crafting, what can I say? You scavenge parts and use them to craft items, upgrade your weapons and make Joel be able to shoot faster etc. There is a lot of loot lying around, and you can't be too picky in this time of apocalypse...

All I can say is, get this game. It is an emotional rollercoaster!
  16. May 4, 2015
    Having finally picked this up, it became one of those games that I ran through in one go... sure I slept and worked in between, but from start to finish it didn't get removed from my console until I was done.

A very emotional story from the very start, this is the main thing that will pull you on through the game. The controls, especially the gunplay, are very expertly done too. I

I haven't thought this about many games of recent times, but this game verges on TOO long sometimes, but still I found myself hoping it would never end... what a paradox!

The atmosphere in the post-apocalyptic world is perfectly realised. Unlike many such games, which pit you against ghouls and zombies then introduce the perhaps more dangerous human enemies, this game turns that on its head. The enemy design is fantastic, and some levels are truly tense experiences as you try to bypass the clickers... which I won't spoil here, but they share one thing with L4D's witch - when you hear the audio cues of their proximity, you WILL tense up.

Buy it.
  17. Jun 21, 2013
    I give this game an 8.5!

It's a great game, with a production value that stands among the greats of this generation! The dialogue and voice acting are absolutely amazing, though I would have liked a tiny bit more diversity with the dialogue choices you make a la Mass Effect. That would have been the cherry on the cake. Gameplay-wise, that's where the game lost a few points for me.
    I give this game an 8.5!

Gameplay-wise, that's where the game lost a few points for me. The gameplay mechanic is very well done and I like that you can upgrade your character's skills and weapons. But the level design is somewhat bland, for the exception of a couple of chapters that stands out! The puzzles, if they are considered puzzles, are absolute no brainers, which is a shame for this type of game. The combat is also very unbalanced, in my opinion. I don't like the fact that the clickers and bloaters can one-hit kill you! Being one shot is not a fun gameplay design! It never is, in any game! Yes I know you can upgrade your shiv to be able to counter the clickers' grapple, but it should have been by default anyway, knowing that you can only carry 3 breakable shivs at anytime anyway! Also, I don't like the fact that it takes 3-4-5 bullets/arrows to take down a human enemy! I mean, the game tries it's best to look as realistic as possible, but man if I snipe a guy in the head, he should die, even if he has a freaking helmet on or not! If I shoot you with a shotgun point blank, you die, Kevlar vest or not! If I impale you with an arrow, you are not in top shape condition to fight afterwards, you are either very wounded or dying! Even on higher difficulty levels, it should not take more bullets than it realistically needs to kill a non super-human in a game! What should change in a higher difficulty is the amount of damage you can take though and the enemy AI should become smarter. That's a mistake so many games make and it would make the game's battles much more interesting, especially since one hit stealth kills are so important in this game. I don't see why ranged battles should be any different.

The music does an awesome job at setting the mood right at any situation. And the sound effects are top notch.

Multiplayer is also a cool addition, though not necessary to enjoy the game! The meat of the game definitely resides in it's single player mode.

Overall, The Last of Us is great game, if not one of the best this year, but I do not believe it deserves all the praise it has been given by the press. It has its flaws and some gameplay hiccups that keep it from achieving greatness.
  18. Nov 5, 2013
    I play computer games less and less these days so games have to be truly good for me to fully complete them. The last of us is one of those games, fantastic graphics, gripping story line and natural game play. It is everything resident evil 6 should have been. Hopefully this is the future of computer games.
  19. Aug 4, 2013
    simply a wonderful game to end the generation. The characters are well developed, the world that has been created is interesting and bleak, the combat is intense and enjoyable and the overall tone and emotion of the game is something that is completely unique. There are moments within this game that truly must be experienced. it is a shame it is on only on the playstation as every deservessimply a wonderful game to end the generation. The characters are well developed, the world that has been created is interesting and bleak, the combat is intense and enjoyable and the overall tone and emotion of the game is something that is completely unique. There are moments within this game that truly must be experienced. it is a shame it is on only on the playstation as every deserves to play this wonderful game. Expand
  20. Nov 5, 2013
    Do you want to play a game where your jaw drops every single time you enter a room? Where each moment of gameplay is exciting and terrifying? Where the story drives it so hard that you can't stop playing no matter the circumstances? The Last of Us delivers on all fronts, a driven story and game from beginning to end. Buy this. Never look back. Only play the story from beginning to the gutDo you want to play a game where your jaw drops every single time you enter a room? Where each moment of gameplay is exciting and terrifying? Where the story drives it so hard that you can't stop playing no matter the circumstances? The Last of Us delivers on all fronts, a driven story and game from beginning to end. Buy this. Never look back. Only play the story from beginning to the gut wrenching final moments. Expand
  21. Apr 29, 2014
    Story: 9.7 out of 10 Graphics: 10 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9.5 out of 10 Controls: 10 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8.5 out of 10
    Re-play: 9 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: barely any
  22. Aug 9, 2013
    Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics:Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics: Incredible!! Naughty Dog pushes the ps3 to its limits,even out doing uncharted 3 with detailed area's beautiful water and smoke effects,fires,ruined buildings etc!! Sound: its average at best until you reach the clickers,their odd sounds will surely be unsettling when you enter dark rooms or new area's. Game mechanics: average at best,controls are tight and responsive and the duck and cover mechanic is very similar to the uncharted series right down to the hand to hand combat but certain weapons like bats, 2 x 4's and shiv's make the fighting a tad more interesting. Story: again its a average at best as its your standard run of the mill zombie apocalypse story where your character must fight to survive who then,meets someone who's immune to the virus and must now create cure to save humanity....the last of us almost never treads new ground as many games and movie's has all too often shown us the dangers of a zombie apocalypse,so why is the last of us worth playing if my review sounds kinda negative save for the graphics? Easy, Joel and ellie!! Although they follow your typical, guy who lost his daughter and refuses to love another child/ ellie,who's your spunky yet average stereotype foul mouth lovable teen, I found it hard NOT to like them as they struggled to form a working relationship. This is where naughty dog took an average,by the numbers story and somehow turn it into a masterpiece! Now the bad points: Enemies: 100% of the time the enemies WILL NOT ATTACK whoever your with if they don't see you first!! It sucks the "survival" aspect and belief right out of game and the player along with it for that matter which ruins the experience. Shiv's can only be used once(or three times if you have three) which i find odd,if you kill a clicker with a shiv( best option people) it magically disappears even when using it too unlock special doors filled with precious resources,but i guess they didn't want players spamming it.Ammo: while its not ABUNDANT its more than enough to get by on since joel has many weapons to use to dispatch his would be dispatchers like the bow,shotgun,sniper rifle,sawed off shotgun and about three hand guns,couple that with the (preferred)option of stealth kills and your basically a god until you play with ellie who gets far less ammo and weapons. Other than those complaints,this average game goes far beyond the limits of other zombies apocalypse games and delivers something truly special. Pick this game up and add it to the list of impressive games that's exclusive to the ps3's library,you won't regret it! 9 out of 10 Expand
  23. Dec 8, 2013
    Very good game by a very good game company the story is great and the gameplay doesn't disappoint. It is terrific. You can't say enough about the game. It is as good as it gets.
  24. Oct 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best game ever, this is playstation 3 best game, naughty dog is reaaly good in making games, just like the uncharted series, joel and eliie make a really good team on his adventure, the game have some moments that are really exciting and they have many suspense scene Expand
  25. Dec 21, 2013
    I loved "The Last of Us" so much that I didn't want it to end, and yet, I couldn't wait to replay
    it. What a testament! It reminded me of the early "Resident Evil" and "Dead Space" games
    with their emphasis on strategy, limited resources, and palpable fear of the unknown.Despite some dumb human enemies, the art direction, pacing, story, and EMOTIONAL impact are exceptional.Truly a
    exceptional.Truly a memorable experience that resonates.
  26. Jul 30, 2013
    I have been waiting for a long time to play this game (being a big fan of previous games by Naughty Dog) and they have not let me down. The story is engulfing, the characters believable, the action very tense, the atmosphere wonderfully grimy and best of al, the gameplay is a great mix between stealth, action, some small puzzle-like things and a bit of RPG thrown in.

I give it a 9,

I give it a 9, because the AI could still be improved upon.

What I don't understand is how some people can give this game a "0" I understand the game is maybe not everybody's cup of tea, but giving it a "0" is the worst insult you can give this game. I wonder if these people also give "0" to The Godfather or Shawshank Redemption? Just trashing a game because others like it?
  27. Jun 24, 2013
    This game is almost perfect. A truly adult game that doesn't flinch away from the hard realities of post apocalyptic survival. What makes this such a spectacular game is the attention to detail. For example, whilst searching an abandoned office building I noticed that one of the desks was decorated with a number of child drawings including a family group. This helped to make the fact thatThis game is almost perfect. A truly adult game that doesn't flinch away from the hard realities of post apocalyptic survival. What makes this such a spectacular game is the attention to detail. For example, whilst searching an abandoned office building I noticed that one of the desks was decorated with a number of child drawings including a family group. This helped to make the fact that the desk used to belong to a real person more believable. The graphics are superb. I often found myself just standing still and looking around in absolute awe. I loved the way the relationship between the two protagonists developed throughout the game. I found myself having genuine affection for the young girl and cared about her safety. Expand
  28. Nov 12, 2013
    Pros:
    Great graphics
    Great characters
    Decent story
    Ellie

Cons:
    It's a bit short
    Not really challenging

Overall this game is a masterpiece, I still can't believe PS 3 was able to handle those graphics
  29. Nov 11, 2013
    By far the best game I have ever played Naughty Dog have produced the game of the generation. Even though I am usually a PC gamer I found the graphics stunning and the game runs very smoothly. From the dramatic opening to the very end about 12 hours later I was never bored. The character design is incredible and the way Joel and Ellie interact with each other throughout the game isBy far the best game I have ever played Naughty Dog have produced the game of the generation. Even though I am usually a PC gamer I found the graphics stunning and the game runs very smoothly. From the dramatic opening to the very end about 12 hours later I was never bored. The character design is incredible and the way Joel and Ellie interact with each other throughout the game is fantastic. I have put in over 150 hours now and have done 7 playthroughs and have never had more fun playing a game. The negatives to this game are so little it's not worth mentioning and I can safely say that you won't regret spending money on this. Expand
  30. Nov 13, 2013
    First of all this is not Uncharted. This was better than Uncharted for me and I loved Uncharted especially 2. But what stood out to me was the story. This is one of the best stories this year and it's ironic that only a handful of people will get to experience it (Note that I'm comparing this game mostly to movies i've watched this year because games don't even compare). The story is soFirst of all this is not Uncharted. This was better than Uncharted for me and I loved Uncharted especially 2. But what stood out to me was the story. This is one of the best stories this year and it's ironic that only a handful of people will get to experience it (Note that I'm comparing this game mostly to movies i've watched this year because games don't even compare). The story is so good because of how it is told, the characters, the music, the hundreds of subtleties. The gameplay is excellent as well and is extremely fun. But what stood out to me was the "realness" and believablity of this world and story and how everything is told plus the characters and violence. It all fit together beautifully even though this is not a shiny happy world. In fin, there really isn't anything wrong with this game except that fact that it had to inevitably end sometime. I just wish more people, who weren't gamers, could experience this story because a lot of people who love movies and books are really missing out and a lot of gamers as well like xbox owners and even some ps3 owners. The only way you might not like this game is if you really hate post apocalyptic setting. Expand
  31. Oct 14, 2013
    It's probably the most detailed game I've ever seen, design and level wise, and with that it's also one of the most immersive games I've played since Half life 2. But personally for me, it's also the single best AAA survival horror game in recent years.
    This game deserves all the praise it gets.
  32. Jul 11, 2013
    Fantastic game, story, graphics; only one major flaw. Hordes and hordes of bandits. I often found myself wondering: if life is so difficult to survive in after the apocalypse then why are these so many damned bandits willing to throw away their hard-earned lives to gain absolutely nothing by killing the death tornado that is our main protagonist? It seriously killed immersion around theFantastic game, story, graphics; only one major flaw. Hordes and hordes of bandits. I often found myself wondering: if life is so difficult to survive in after the apocalypse then why are these so many damned bandits willing to throw away their hard-earned lives to gain absolutely nothing by killing the death tornado that is our main protagonist? It seriously killed immersion around the halfway mark. In fact it gets to the point where if you see a happy glimmer you know for sure it will up in less than 5 minutes. A particular level has you racing past what seems like HUNDREDS of men firing guns and chasing after you in a BARREN waste of a frozen mountain village with barely any food about. Where are they getting so many bullets? Why would they deem to waste them? Even if they are eating people how on earth would they be healthy enough to chase me? Where are the women? A tarnish on an otherwise great game. Expand
  33. Jul 12, 2013
    Really good game. I still think Uncharted 2 is better, but it's reeeaaallllyy close. I'm not going to write a book on this, but I want to give it a 9. Great job Naughty Dog!
  34. Jul 11, 2013
    An absolutely stunning game, start to finish. It reinvents 3rd person survival-horror in such an amazing way, where you actually feel for the characters and care about what happens to them on their journey. Not to mention an insanely entertaining and unique multiplayer. Very worth while.
  35. Jan 26, 2014
    It is epic story and all, I was really excited playing it for the 1st time. But now even after several months I finished it I realize that I don't want to play it again, as its just pretty straight forward one-shoot game. The world is big but it split on small levels and it is just a decoration.
    I would say the ending also a bit disappointing.
  36. Nov 19, 2013
    This is what other games should aspire to be, the graphics were really amazing and detailed, by far the best console graphics I have seen, the gameplay is really tense and intuitive, and the best part is that gameplay is non linear, you can go in guns blazing, use stealth takedowns or even pass through an area without killing anyone and it also encourages exploration to find supplies sinceThis is what other games should aspire to be, the graphics were really amazing and detailed, by far the best console graphics I have seen, the gameplay is really tense and intuitive, and the best part is that gameplay is non linear, you can go in guns blazing, use stealth takedowns or even pass through an area without killing anyone and it also encourages exploration to find supplies since ammunition is really scarce, and the mix of sometimes having to fight humans and other times having to fight infected really mixes things up and you will have to constantly change your tactics, the crafting was also great because everything you craft is performed in real time so you won't have to pause the game so the inmersion is never broken, but as good as the gameplay is the story is what the game was all about to me, the story is intriguing and unpredictable, characters all have their own little backstory and all are very well developed, especially Joel and Ellie and how their relation was constantly evoling throughout the game, in short words this game is a masterpiece and by far my number 1 best game of all time, so you should definitely give it a go, trust me, you won't regret it. Expand
  37. Sep 8, 2013
    One of my favorite games this gen. I wish that I can give this a 10 but I can't. I honestly don't like the multiplayer, It's filled with campers. The single player however is amazing! Fantastic graphics, great gameplay, great characters, great story, beautiful voice acting. I like both Ellie and Joel. I can't wait to see what Naughty Dog has in store for us next gen :D
  38. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game lived up to my expectations and was great! The story isn't original or impressive in anyway, but the characters and gameplay is what makes up for it. However... Joel became very selfish towards the ending and made me begin to dislike him and made me feel bad that Ellie trusts him because she doesn't know what he did. My only real complaint with this game is the ending. The ending is horrible. It abruptly cuts off with nothing happening but Joel saying "I Swear" after Ellie confronts him about if he has lied to her. I felt bad for Joel at the start of this game, but after watching that ending it really made me dislike him... that and the fact that the ending was just stupid. A great game, but a terrible ending. Expand
  39. Mar 6, 2015
    I punched a dude in the face using a brick.... I bought a playstasion 3 just for playing this game and I have to say it was worth it.. Although some things that happen are a bit predictable the overall story is amazing! I won't say anything else just play it!
  40. Jul 27, 2013
    To some who talk about the cooperative AI-sneaking, imagine how frustrating the game would be when an AI-controlled characters keeps blowing your cover. I think Naughty Dog had to choose between being absolutly responsable for your actions or dependence of other non-controllable characters and chose wisely
  41. Jul 25, 2013
    There is just no words to describe how awesome TLOU is, I mean the graphics are breathtaking and the story is very original and the characters have to be one of the most memorable out there, the sound effects are brilliant. TLOU is easily the best game i've played this year so far, but I'll have to play GTA V as well to see if it's as good as TLOU or better. Im going to go a bit higherThere is just no words to describe how awesome TLOU is, I mean the graphics are breathtaking and the story is very original and the characters have to be one of the most memorable out there, the sound effects are brilliant. TLOU is easily the best game i've played this year so far, but I'll have to play GTA V as well to see if it's as good as TLOU or better. Im going to go a bit higher than it says. I give TLOU 9.5/10 Expand
  42. Nov 15, 2013
    Is a beautiful looking game with an incredible campaign, the multi-player was nice but really needed some more modes as its clearly focused towards the campaign; which there's nothing wrong with as it was brilliant but a few new modes and maps would have been ideal.

Other than that, well recommended.
  43. Aug 14, 2013
    The last of us has the most spectacular single player campaign on the ps3 console, no if, buts or maybes.
    The detail and Obvious effort put into the last of us raises the bar for competing console games, and my standards as a gamer.
    The last of us really show's what these 5 year old consoles are still capable of. I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply
    I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply state that it's amazing, and worth your time.
    Multiplayer In the last of us is done very well, the only real down fall is the community it's self, partially due to the way kills work, people will constantly take your kills, hang behind you so you weaken the enemy and then pounce once you've left the rooms safer, this can be very frustrating at times, there are also only two modes, but they are very good modes.
    This is a game that cannot be missed, even if you rarely buy a game, let the last of us be that game!.
  44. Jun 24, 2013
    The last of us is a really entertaining game. The graphics are very well done considering the aging platform it runs on. The storyline is engaging and the sound is immersive. Something that bothered me a lot was Joel taking up too much of the center of the screen. Third person view is fine but I found myself trying to look around the character way to much. Also, why is there so much boxedThe last of us is a really entertaining game. The graphics are very well done considering the aging platform it runs on. The storyline is engaging and the sound is immersive. Something that bothered me a lot was Joel taking up too much of the center of the screen. Third person view is fine but I found myself trying to look around the character way to much. Also, why is there so much boxed ammo, food, and scissors laying around 20 years after the end of the world? Why do I have to craft shanks from scissors? Are the scissors not already pointy and sharp? Knives don't exist anymore? Why can I construct a working rifle scope from nuts and bolts? My biggest gripe was the lack of an open world. While the level designers did do a great job, it was a real big immersion breaker being told the only way through a city is to climb up into a leaning skyscraper (ignoring the physics of that) even though that would be the last thing any reasonable person would do. Also, why give the players maps if they are useless? These are all nitpicks I have and do not mean that this is not an awesome title. While the massive amount of "PERFECT GAME EVERRRR!" coming from critics and players alike is merely hype I would and am recommending the last of us to my friends. Expand
  45. Jun 21, 2013
    No matter what anyone says, The Last of Us is truly one of the best games that I have ever played. Everything in the game is amazing, from the in game graphics, to the cutscenes, and the gameplay, everything feels right, and it makes the game that much better. Usually I dont give games a 10/10, because there is always something that bothers me. But The Last of Us is one of the gamesNo matter what anyone says, The Last of Us is truly one of the best games that I have ever played. Everything in the game is amazing, from the in game graphics, to the cutscenes, and the gameplay, everything feels right, and it makes the game that much better. Usually I dont give games a 10/10, because there is always something that bothers me. But The Last of Us is one of the games that surprised me the whole time. There was nothing wrong with the game, and it shows. Everything is polished, and I loved how often little things struck me. When Joel and Ellie are just walking, and then they start having a conversation, it really made the game feel alive. This game is one of the few games in my opinion that is completly deserving of all the 10/10's it got, and the hype for this amazing game was very right. It is one of the best games I have ever played, and if you want an experience, and perhaps PS3's best game, then look no further then The Last of Us. Expand
  46. Oct 24, 2013
    Ok I've reviewed this game three times this is the last. People saying no stealth because of wall hack. Have any of you tried it on Survivor difficulty this is how this game was meant to be played. There is No listen mode and this makes it a real and scary survival horror game and this IS GOTY and yes I do have and love GTA5 but this is a fantastic masterpiece and it shows PS4 will crushOk I've reviewed this game three times this is the last. People saying no stealth because of wall hack. Have any of you tried it on Survivor difficulty this is how this game was meant to be played. There is No listen mode and this makes it a real and scary survival horror game and this IS GOTY and yes I do have and love GTA5 but this is a fantastic masterpiece and it shows PS4 will crush Xbox1 because all of Sonys latest exclusives are looking next gen already. But anyways get this game story is perfect and with single player DLC it will be epic again. Multiplayer is better than most and the season pass price of 20$ isn't as bad as some of these money grab games I'll be happy to pay 20$ for some moe last of us content. I have the new multiplayer map pack and they are great. See you later but Get This Game Now if you haven't. Its the Best!! Expand
  47. Jan 30, 2014
    Naughty Dog proved itself again as the best game studio. Its production, the Last of Us inherits the studio's specialties: solid gameplay, satisfying platformer, interesting dialogues and most importantly, amazing characters. The protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are easily among the best written characters in all video games and you will, after playing this game, feel attached with them andNaughty Dog proved itself again as the best game studio. Its production, the Last of Us inherits the studio's specialties: solid gameplay, satisfying platformer, interesting dialogues and most importantly, amazing characters. The protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are easily among the best written characters in all video games and you will, after playing this game, feel attached with them and genuinely care about them. I don't know if it is possible to not like Joel and Ellie but I am in love with them.
    Set in the post-apocalyptic US, Joel and Ellie must journey across the country in search of a group. In this world an unknown pandemic has ravaged mankind, transforming infected into half-human-half-fungus undead. What sets the Last of Us different from all other zombie games is that the infected here are also blind and therefore by moving quietly it is possible to avoid conflict at all. Ammo and healing supplies are limited (there is no stomping corpses to reveal supplies here), so stealth is always the better option. When combat is the only way to go, the Last of Us becomes a solid third person shooter almost identical to the Uncharted series.
    The world in the Last of Us is vibrant and believable. As is all post-apocalyptic worlds, the world goes into chaos and survival is dependent on oneself: only the fittest survives. There is no hero or antagonist in the Last of Us; only survivors. In fact, Joel is so ruthless against other survivors standing in his way that you might feel that he is, in a sense, the villain.
    However no game is perfect--not even the Last of Us. Supplies for tools feel a little bit too plentiful. For example nail bombs should have been valuable weapons that are only used in the most desperate times, but they are in fact so common in the world that I found my backpack too full to carry yet even more of them. In the same sense weapons are also too powerful for a game like this: your arsenal isn't limited at all; you will get a freaking flame thrower half way into the story. Also the ending is somewhat disappointing; I won't spoil anything for you, but I was disappointed.
    BUT--- with this ending it is possible for them to make a sequel. :DD As the Last of Us is so successful this is very likely to be the case--I cannot wait to see more of Joel and Ellie's journey.
  48. Jan 20, 2014
    GOOD THINGS:
    PLOT: I thought it very cliché, similar to I am the Legend and War of the Worlds, but the characters are very charismatics, and the narrative goes very well.
    GAMEPLAY: Very fun, either Stealth or TPS, both are perfect, making improvised weapons are cool, finding medicine and pieces to Level Up are very good made.
    Soundtrack: very sad, and absent in the most time.
  49. Aug 27, 2014
    A great story which happens to be told in a video game format. Although the story overpowered the video game experience. Only for that it's not a 10 for me.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: Perfect story and perfect balance between the two main characters. There's no good or bad here. Only hope and the need to survive
    PRESENTATION: Naughty Dog has used the PS3 like no other developer. When we think you can't see anything better than the Uncharted series they pull this off!
    GAMEPLAY: this is where i hoped to see a bit more of the video game experience. It's not totally balanced and you don't feel comfortable because of the scarce resources. I know it's meant to be this way but a little more action wouldn't harm the game.
    ONLINE: Played it a couple of times but it's not Naughty Dog forte.
    An experience that pushes video games to a different level. Absolutely mandatory.
  50. Dec 22, 2013
    The Last Of Us is just the best game I ever played.The Story, is not only well written, but it makes you attach Joel and Ellie and to care about their fate in the game."The Last Of Us" delivers strong emotions that make you realize that you are a human and once with it comes hope, love and the desire for survival.
    THE LAST OF US is the reason I play Video Games...
  51. Mar 23, 2014
    Great game with great story. The presentation is exceptional but where i found the game a little weak is on the gameplay level. I hate cheap "one-shot-kill" and even if i found the game really fascinating, I didn't had as much fun to actually play it that i though I would. One last thing : I hate clickers !
  52. Sep 4, 2013
    Amazing game, completed it three times when I have never played a game after completed it before.

The only reason not to buy this game is if you are easily scared or do not like action games, otherwise go buy it now. I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it

I dropped a point for the rather run-of-the-mill multiplayer which for me is a complete waste of time, would have been better off making the game bigger (even though it is plenty big enough).
  53. Nov 9, 2014
    Can not seem to digest when it reaches the end, you are challenged to the limit in such a humane and sentimental drama you clings easily and is hard to say goodbye. I really do not know how to call this grandeur that despite being a game and brings a very human feeling emanates from there and he slingshot you. THE LAST OF US is not just any game is a masterpiece grand and unforgettable andCan not seem to digest when it reaches the end, you are challenged to the limit in such a humane and sentimental drama you clings easily and is hard to say goodbye. I really do not know how to call this grandeur that despite being a game and brings a very human feeling emanates from there and he slingshot you. THE LAST OF US is not just any game is a masterpiece grand and unforgettable and full of feelings where we are challenged to try each one. Expand
  54. Sep 1, 2013
    A gorgeous, meaningful, intense, scrumptious (yes, even the sound of rending flesh...is scrumptious, somehow LOL) game. Agreed, the AI is a little thick at times...but, the essence of the game, what makes it great, so far outshines any minor issues, it's hardly noticeable. My only beef with games of this nature is that replay value is low for me. Didn't like the MP that much and I tendA gorgeous, meaningful, intense, scrumptious (yes, even the sound of rending flesh...is scrumptious, somehow LOL) game. Agreed, the AI is a little thick at times...but, the essence of the game, what makes it great, so far outshines any minor issues, it's hardly noticeable. My only beef with games of this nature is that replay value is low for me. Didn't like the MP that much and I tend not to play story driven games more than once. But, as far as a story game goes, this is one of the very best! Expand
  55. Aug 14, 2013
    Wow. Great job ND. I am torn between letting this game stand alone and badly wanting a sequel just to continue to play in the world you created. Graphically awesome, characters awesome, loved the story, gameplay epic. Great audio and gun physics btw. I finished it last night and was left with such mixed emotions. Loved the way it wrapped up but felt sad that I was done. I don't play gamesWow. Great job ND. I am torn between letting this game stand alone and badly wanting a sequel just to continue to play in the world you created. Graphically awesome, characters awesome, loved the story, gameplay epic. Great audio and gun physics btw. I finished it last night and was left with such mixed emotions. Loved the way it wrapped up but felt sad that I was done. I don't play games again once I've finished them typically but I just might go back through for the Plus Mode. Ok, I'm not torn, please make a sequel!!!!!!! Expand
  56. Jul 21, 2013
    This title affected me like a slow burn. I expected it to be at the very least decent, based on Naughty Dog's recent history with the PS3. Then I played through the opening section and I was absolutely stunned at what they had done with this medium. As the game added thematic components, characters, tweaks in game-play, and set pieces throughout its 15-hour campaign, I must admit to someThis title affected me like a slow burn. I expected it to be at the very least decent, based on Naughty Dog's recent history with the PS3. Then I played through the opening section and I was absolutely stunned at what they had done with this medium. As the game added thematic components, characters, tweaks in game-play, and set pieces throughout its 15-hour campaign, I must admit to some confusion on my part. Certain moments were jarring, some were poignant and just right, and others still seemed overtly familiar. As the hours continued on in life after I had finished the game, I came to realize what had happened: Naughty Dog was two steps ahead of me in every way possible, right from the beginning. It's one of those rare works of art where the more one speculates on the events that have taken place, the more all of these things make total sense and seem inseparable from the overall vision. On this basis alone, "The Last of Us" must be one of (if not THE) most unpredictable games I've ever played. The relationship between Joel and Elle is never contrived, never played up or squeezed tight for emotion, yet also never abandoned nor underdeveloped it's one of the most realistic portrayals of a surrogate daughter/father scenario I've ever seen, anywhere in art. I honestly have no way to lengthily describe this game in any satisfying way, so here's some random appropriate adjectives: unflinching, brutal, heartfelt, passionate, understated, terrifying, complex, demanding, and, ultimately, masterful. The conclusion could very well haunt you for months (but not for any reasons presupposed at the beginning of the play-through). Expand
  57. Jul 14, 2013
    Yeah this game may not have the perfect and the funniest gameplay but it has a lot of challenge and you need a lot of strategy to beat this game. Some times it may be frustrating and your AI partners may be a pain in the ass for you but this game does everything it promises, a perfect crafted storyline, some good rpg elements and interesting weapons in a world of tension between infected,Yeah this game may not have the perfect and the funniest gameplay but it has a lot of challenge and you need a lot of strategy to beat this game. Some times it may be frustrating and your AI partners may be a pain in the ass for you but this game does everything it promises, a perfect crafted storyline, some good rpg elements and interesting weapons in a world of tension between infected, the military and the fireflies.
    From the beginning to the end i got glued to the story because it was so interesting. It may not deliver so many action that Uncharted delivered but it delivers a even better story, rich environments and strong enemies that won't be forgotten in some time. If you played this game from the beginning to the end you'll find some bugs and minor errors in combat but you will ignore that all because you will also find one of the best stories of this generation and one of the best post-apocalyptic game ever. You won't regret it, if you have a PS3 you need to get this game, because there ain't much games that reach this high in terms of storytelling in this platform.
    This is a must have for everyone that likes zombies, strategy and amazing and emotional stories.
    One more thing. If you played the other Naughty Dogs games and you already know that this studio never let you down just get this game and watch for yourself.

This is one of the best games i played and i won't forget it and i still need to play it to get all the stuff and don't forget the multiplayer that also is good.
  58. Aug 17, 2014
    Lets get this out of the way immediately: The Last of Us is a fantastic experience and you should play it. However, I think that the game itself has been praised so much that its many little flaws have been ignored by most.

The story itself is that of a zombie apocalypse with a different name; clickers are innovative in the way that they are blind, this allows you to play along with the stealth mechanic. Other than that, they are just zombies. Also, why the fungae needs to be spreaded through open wounds (bites and scratches) while there are spores for aerial contagion -which, anyone who has played Plague Inc would agree this is the best way to get a virus to spread- is baffling to me.

I will not spoil anything, but I think the ending could have been bleaker. By the end, I was not sympathizing with Joel at all, he was just being a selfish dick.
    I think Naughty Dog was playing it safe and I did not appreciate the ending.

The Stealth Mechanic works great for Joel, however, your AI companions can be really stupid. Specially when you get around with Bill, I remember at one point while entering an infected-ridden zone, he muttered the line "We must be quiet here", right before blasting off his very loud shot gun at an infected and ruining my whole stealth approach.

This would also have happened (quite a lot) with Ellie, since her running around right under the nose of the enemies was quite a common occurrence. Thankfully the AI seems locked to only take up on Joel's movements and actions, so your companion's AI behavior won't affect them (companion AI behavior will only affect enemy response if they fire a shotgun at their face - Thanks again, Bill). This was appreciated, but it broke the immersion a bit.

I noticed a few glitches here and there, also some ragdoll physics and the obvious texture pops are evidence of the last-gen power of the PlayStation 3. However, they are completely right to call this a fitting swansong to the system; it really pushes it to its limit and its an absolute success in that. Environments are gorgeous and I couldn't help feeling ompletely distracted by the vistas, especially in the Spring part of the game.

The characters are greatly fleshed out, they react to almost everything the game has to offer, even the innane chatting while traversing an uneventful section of town is magnificently human. Ashley Johnson's portrayal of a 14 year old girl toughened up by the circumstances the world is facing is absolutely engaging, and Troy Baker's worn down southener that is Joel is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

Gustavo Santaolalla's soundtrack is perfect for this game, its bleak and gloomy and I wish it would have continued so until the very end.

Still, you can't miss out on this game; its a beautiful experience that tells a tale of a broken down man that has severed himself from society even in a time that you would think mankind should stand together and not jump at each other's troath.

This is still a blockbuster AAA game, with the Naughty Dog trademark all over it (a bit Uncharted-y at times, I feel) but with fleshed out characters and an entertaining story. Despite its many little flaws, hopefully this game's popularity is turning enough heads in the industry on what gamers are expecting from developers.

Lastly, don't miss out on the multiplayer. The single player mechanics work surprsingly well and its quite challenging.
  59. Jul 10, 2013
    It is a very good game, Naughty Dog always make very high quality games and this is no exception, visually is shocking, the history mode is long (12h for me) and very nicely done, the music is very simple but very VERY appropiate for the game, and the environments are amazingly good, every aspect of them, but, there are minor things that keep this game for being a masterpiece, the first isIt is a very good game, Naughty Dog always make very high quality games and this is no exception, visually is shocking, the history mode is long (12h for me) and very nicely done, the music is very simple but very VERY appropiate for the game, and the environments are amazingly good, every aspect of them, but, there are minor things that keep this game for being a masterpiece, the first is that there are many cliches in the history and, at least for me, you never feel identified with the conflict, and this is because the game is very straight forward, you don't feel the survival aspect of an apocalypse, you just feel you have to kill every single enemy, the exploration is kind of limited and the fact that some places has notes about what happened there is a very good idea but isn't very well developed, just like the environments they just feel lonely but they lack violence, they lack "drama", also, despite the fact that the history mode is very entertaining, it should be a bit slower, there are many cutscenes (which is fine) but there are very little interaction to know the characters a bit more, because they are very interesting but I've felt that I wanna know more about them but the game doesn't give me the tools to do.
    The gameplay is very good with very cool animations and very good combat variety, but it should be a bit harder (even on survivor), and the ammo is short because of the limit which is kind of stupid having a bag, but is very entertaining overall. Everything I say may be a bit subjective but I think that the game should have focus on other things like survival instead on walk and kill (which doesn't mean is a bad game) but overall I give it an 8 because what the game offers is very good and is certainly a game that everyone should try.
  60. Aug 16, 2014
    The only decent game I have played in a while and it's made for a relic. Imagine if this was built taking advantage of a high end PC. I gave a ten as compared to the other 99% of crappy games out there this comes out tops, a rather sad thing to say about the gaming industry.
  61. Oct 18, 2014
    It is the so much acclaimed game for PS3. The game is an "action adventure" like Tomb Raider, or like the Uncharted series (indeed from the same software house).
    The adventure is pleasant, the game lasts an average time (about 12-15 hours), the story is well thought out and there is great graphics without any uncertainty. The setting is post-apocalyptic, the plot seems obvious but it is not. I say no more to not spoil the surprise.
    The music is pleasant, the game is never frustrating (if you can not go on is because you are using the wrong approach).
    But ... Well, I had very high expectations which were not supported by the game. Everyone talks about how this is the killer application for ps3. Sure it's nice, you spend funny moments and is the true "entertainment" (you are always asking yourself "how's it going forward"). But a masterpiece? I do not know, perhaps is because I come from the PC world where masterpieces are more numerous ...
    Some negative aspects? There are none, the initial loading is very long (even 3-4 minutes), but then the game does not load EVER, so you can end it up without ever even wait a few seconds. Great optimization and no bug. Well done Naughty Dog!
  62. Jun 22, 2013
    The Last of Us is an exciting and emotionally moving adventure show what human interaction could be like after a apocalypse. Naughty Dog has created a gem that while not without faults is still one of the most important games ever released for the PlayStation 3.

You play as Joel who through the course of the game is escorting his companion Ellie to a certain destination. During the journey the relationship that grows between Joel and Ellie is both touching and haunting to behold. Without spoiling the story, parts of Joel's past affect the way he currently views life and this provides a window into seeing how humanity might react following years after a great tragedy or apocalypse. Bitterness abounds in Joel's life early on, and yet by the conclusion of the of the tale the player is so wrapped up within the story that they will share a great deal of care for Ellie in almost a fatherly role. Parts of these emotions might be strong enough to bring tears to your eyes. It happened to me.

Graphics: The game succeeds in pushing the PS3 to new boundaries. It's obvious that this console generation is coming to a close, but Naughty Dog did a great job at showing the possible beauty and abandonment of a nation desolated by destruction. The animations are top notch and the character models (thank you Joel for having an amazing beard) are hype-realistic. I experienced a bit of pop in at times but nothing that caused major issues in my play-through.

Gameplay: The Last of Us succeeds in making the player struggle to survive against the harsh virtual reality of a fallen world. You will face environmental challenges, mutated monsters, and bandits struggling to survive. Throughout the game you given a minimal supply of weaponry to just barely get you to the next encounter. More times than not you will try to rely on Joel's stealth and brute force to overcome situations. This is both brutal and desperate, making you feel like every move you make has weight. Gunplay feels similar to Uncharted but a bit less accurate further reminding you that Joel is a real human and not some super hero. Encounters with enemies can be tough, and you will die. The game doesn't penalize you for death and check points are frequent to the point where it almost relieves a bit of tension. Even though you will die, the game is fair. I completed my first play-through on hard and felt that it possibly made the experience more rewarding than if I had played on normal. This is up to personal choice in the end and either way you will have a great time.

Sound: The Last of Us sounds great. Voice acting is well done and all the characters are believable during cut scenes and even during seemingly random dialog. Joel's voice makes it clear that he has had one hell of a life and that years of fighting for survival have taken a toll on his emotional and physical being. Ellie on the other hand has grown up in this world and shows spunky if not almost disturbing arrogance in the face of danger. Musically the game is strong, but doesn't leave any long lasting themes like you might find in Uncharted or Bioshock Infinite. Most of the game will be spent in silence which very accurately represents the forsaken empty world. During cut scenes, or other important events the sudden inclusion of music brings more weight than could ever be realized with a constant soundtrack.

Possible Negatives: The only main negative point I could bring up the sheer number of times Joel must go find a ladder, trashcan, etc to prop open a door or gain access to the next area. This mechanic should have been thrown out in early design. I don't mind it every now and then but it did bother me enough to break me from the experience. I experienced one bug involving this that made me reload the game at one point. It's a minor complaint, but still matters. Some have argued that the game is too linear and would prefer a more "choose your own path/ending" scenario. To argue with this I would just take time to remind everyone that this game isn't about the players story. This is about Joel, and Joel may not make the same decisions you would. This is not a flaw, but a reminder that Naughty Dog has crafted a brilliant story and seeks to guide you through to the end. Accept this and you will have a blast.

In summary, Naughty Dog has crafted a a brilliant emotional tale that touches the players hearts and yet brings ample excitement and adventure. While the game is not perfect it is something that will remembered fondly in years to come. For these reasons I highly recommend experiencing The Last of Us.
  63. Mar 5, 2014
    Finished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more thanFinished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more than take all of this console generation's staple mechanics, systems, and story developing elements and put them together in a highly polished, fantastic looking game. 3 to 5 years ago I would've given this a 9.5. But in 2014 it is completely generic in almost every respect. It does have some emotional depth to it, but nothing you haven't seen in 1,500 better movies. There was a point in the first few hours I thought I was going to have to quit out of sheer boredom. And when it did pick up, all the "no, man, it's not Uncharted... the gameplay is better and the story is PHENOMENAL! It's not just a long cutscene. You'll see, man. Trust me." statements I kept hearing never panned out. The boredom never really went away... the story never really panned out like I was expecting. The AI was terrible. I tried to immerse myself, but then I'd witness Ellie running in place into a clicker who would then come after me for not sneaking slow enough 30 feet away. Even though it is their best, I believe Naughty Dog has already gotten too many free passes. And the gaming crowd has disappointed me with what we'll give 10s to and with the acceptance of faults that should be fixed by now. All that said, It is a pretty good game. It would've been great 5 years ago, but not in 2014. My real rating is 7.5, but I round up. Expand
  64. Dec 10, 2013
    Naughty Dog has made a masterpiece. The best game PS3 has delivered in the entire sventh generation, and one that will be remembered for years to come. It is truly that good. And I know some jealous people will describe this game as overrated without even playing it, as the same thing happened last year with Halo 4. Shh, don't listen to them! The Last of Us is not flawless but is prettyNaughty Dog has made a masterpiece. The best game PS3 has delivered in the entire sventh generation, and one that will be remembered for years to come. It is truly that good. And I know some jealous people will describe this game as overrated without even playing it, as the same thing happened last year with Halo 4. Shh, don't listen to them! The Last of Us is not flawless but is pretty damn close, and that is enough to give it everlasting praise.
    The story, OMG! If you have a heart, and human feelings, and most importantly two eyes, two ears and a functioning brain, then you will love the story in this game. I never felt so many things, and I'm not talking only about TWD emotional post-depression, although there is definitely a hint of that. I am talking about anger, desperation, happiness and fear...and the worst fear of all. The fear of losing your loved ones. The voice acting is top-notch, and the graphics. They truly push the PS3 to the limit. They are insane.
    The gameplay is fitting, and really pairs with the pace of the game. It is intense, gritty and insanely violent. Stealth is king (Something we are not used to from the "Uncharted" games) as it is also being tactical, preservative and crafty. If you play in normal (Like me) you will find some challenge, though not overwhelming. It is at moments fun, at moments scary. It is just a good-old fashioned survival horror stealthy gameplay, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Surprise! This game comes with an Online component which is, surprisingly good actually. It has the same gameplay mechanics from the campaign and the maps are thoughtfully designed. Of course it is not The Last of Us' main focus, but I am still playing it a lot, you know, after three entire playthroughs of the mind-blowing, excellent, five-star, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious campaign. Gotta love Ellie and her awful jokes!
    In the end, BUY THIS GAME! Do not own a PS3? Bro, I feel for you, because this game is one of the best games ever made, period. I am truly enthusiastic about this. There is just nothing else like it in the world.
  65. Sep 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. It was a good game. meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Expand
  66. Nov 5, 2013
    Pure perfection. Awesome graphics, good story and very amazing gameplay. The game can show a very fantastic atmosphere of survival in this epic story. Graphics make this beauty a lot better. One thing that can't allow me to make mark 10/10, is quite stupid AI and ending of game. A really don't want this game, this story to finish.
    Naughty Dog show all perfection of PlayStation 3.
  67. Apr 29, 2014
    Story:
    I really enjoyed the story, It had great writing, voice acting, and body language. The game also does a great job at making me care for Joel and Ellie as the story progresses by giving me those slow moments where the two engage in dialogues. 10/10
    Gameplay: This game can get extremely intense if you play it stealthy. Even though stealth is optional, you're most likely going to
    Story:

Gameplay:
    This game can get extremely intense if you play it stealthy. Even though stealth is optional, you're most likely going to be silent since ammo is scarce and the A.I can get really aggressive by charging, flanking, or suppressing you. One immersive braking mechanic is that the A.I won't attack your companions which isn't really annoying because imagine you're trying to sneak around, and Ellie accidently lures a clicker(infected) or bloater(super infected) to your location. I think it's a good idea for Naughty Dog to do this. You also need to explore to find parts needed to upgrade your weapons, supplements to boost your survival skills, and crafting items to build med kits and other useful stuff. 9/10

Graphics: T.L.O.U contains some of the most gorgeous and detailed graphics I've ever seen on a console. The facial models look realistic, great lighting, excellent sound design, and the backgrounds look beautiful. 10/10

Multiplayer: The multiplayer is really fun to play, but I do have some issues with it. First, instead of earning XP to level up, you have to gather supplies to help build your clan in order to unlock customization items. What this means is you have to do good in every match you're in in order to get supplies for your clan (you get most of your supplies from kills). This can be really hard when you have a clan of 70 because you're going to need around 70 to 80 supplies to keep your clan alive (which isn't easy). There are also only 2 game types which might limit replay value for some, and the game suffers from balancing issues bow almost being a 1-hit kill, smoke and shiv load outs, bombs, and more). 6/10

Verdict:
    The Last of Us is one of my favorite games of 2013 and one of my favorite PS3 exclusives. Go buy it, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. Rating: 9. P.S. Thanks for reading my 1st review.
  68. Nov 27, 2013
    At first I'd like to get this off my chest. I really loved to play The Last of Us. It was an really enjoyable and emotional experience for me and it's one of the best games to be released in 2013. However; it had many flaws and is utterly overrated by the masses. The story is one of the highest claimed things about the game but to be honest, it wasn't that original, mostly cliché. It wereAt first I'd like to get this off my chest. I really loved to play The Last of Us. It was an really enjoyable and emotional experience for me and it's one of the best games to be released in 2013. However; it had many flaws and is utterly overrated by the masses. The story is one of the highest claimed things about the game but to be honest, it wasn't that original, mostly cliché. It were the characters that carried it all. Even the intro sequence brought tears in my eyes. And that will mean something. On the technical side there isn't much to critize, but it isn't the best looking game on the PS3. I still think Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception is the best looking current-gen console game to date. Some textures were muddy but that's about it. What was the most let down to me were three things: At first the gameplay and the difficulity. The gameplay was probably one of the most boring things I have ever wittnessed. It made Heavy Rain look spectacular.

Also it was really linear, the AI was dumb and the gunplay decent at best. But I just can't get over it how repetitive it all was. Always there was to find and build a ladder or a bridge and hold off some enemies and that's about it. And the difficulity was schizophrenic. At one time it was easy because of the stupid AI and then they threw in the Clickers that can kill you with one hit (at the beginning). Some may call it challenging, I call it a chore. And then the last chapter was really annoying too because of the sheer amount of enemies. The game has really low replayability for me. I tried to go for another run a while after I completed it but I just couldn't because it was so boring. It's a game you probably just will play once. To all the people who gave it a 10 How often did you replay the game you spent 60 bucks on? Because I think good games should be fun to replay. But this one wasn't at all.

Then there's multiplayer. Normally I'm not a multiplayer guy but this one really got me hooked. It was even more enjoyable than the singleplayer most of the time. It requires a lot of tactic and teamplay. More than those wanna-be tactic games like Battlefield 3 and 4.

Overall it's certainly not a bad game, it's very good to be sure but it's simply overrated. I think that's because it's a PlayStation exclusive. Most exclusive games on that platform that are actually just mediocre just get high scores because they look pretty and has the Sony brand on it.
  69. Nov 13, 2013
    This is an amazing PS3 exclusive, a must buy for console owners.

While I do believe the game is slightly overrated for reasons I'll be noting in the review, it is definitely the best PS3 game I've played this year. The game is just georgeous, there was a lot of effort put into details. Animations are realistic, and the environment is amazing. The art direction of this game did an
    This is an amazing PS3 exclusive, a must buy for console owners.

The game is just georgeous, there was a lot of effort put into details. Animations are realistic, and the environment is amazing. The art direction of this game did an awesome job, and to think this game runs on a 2006 console is astonishing.

The gameplay feels great. It is not exactly fun all the times, but it's realistic enough, and coupled with the game's great storyline, it will keep you in front of your tv for hours.

Both Ellie and Joel are quite likeable. The voice acting, sound effects, and music in general are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson both did a great job.

The multiplayer isn't really a major deal, but still, it is a nice bonus. Interrogation mode, which was added with an update is a really innovative mode. Managing your crew through the 12 weeks is actually fun and challenging.

Now, about the flaws...

The game is mostly linear. You'll have to play the way it's meant to be played. If you try to fight in a place that ND wanted you to sneak pass or vice-verse, you'll have a hard time.

A great example of this is the Sniper part. Unless you get yourself to the house he is, you can't progress the game. Even having a sniper rifle yourself, you can't kill him. It's just a ghost gun firing at you. Four times in a row in some instances (sometimes he doesn't have to reload).

Enemies have unlimited ammo even though supplies are limited in this world. Upon death, the chances of them dropping the ammo they were using is quite low, especially on a higher difficulty level. It's not exactly a big deal, but it would be more immersive if they actually would run out of ammo and try other strategies to deal with you.

The game lacks replayability for those who are not completionists. Sure, there's a lot of collectibles and trophies for people to get, but most players would just ignore stuff like that. Yeah, there's multiplayer, but as I said before, the multiplayer isn't a major attraction of the game.

I've played the game on version 1.3 and yet I had some annoying bugs, including characters aiming with no weapons (even my own character), bad AI, actions not working (like, once I needed to help Ellie get to a ladder, but there was no "Press triangle") clickers grabbing me through walls (happened twice only, but still pretty annoying) among others.

And last but no least... There's no way to install the disc version of the game. That's really bad, because if you play the disc version, you will encounter frame rate issues (first time you see a horse in the dam, for example) and the loading takes a lot of time. But that's about it.

On everything else, this is truly an amazing game, definitely one of the big games of 2013. Really worth buying!
  70. Jun 22, 2013
    This is probably the best game I've ever played, the game himself is gorgeous, the characters are so deep, the end of the game is brilliant, the multiplayer is new and innovative!
  71. Jul 17, 2013
    I don't think this is the absolute masterpiece game of this generation, but I do however believe that it is still an excellent game with a great story, gameplay, presentation and even multiplayer. The single player campaign contains probably developer Naughty Dog's best story they have ever produced. The characters Joel and Ellie are some of the most enjoyable, memorable and real inI don't think this is the absolute masterpiece game of this generation, but I do however believe that it is still an excellent game with a great story, gameplay, presentation and even multiplayer. The single player campaign contains probably developer Naughty Dog's best story they have ever produced. The characters Joel and Ellie are some of the most enjoyable, memorable and real in gaming. Everything in this world from the people to the environments to the weapons all feel real. It's obvious Naughty Dog put most of their time in making their world and characters as immersive and tangible as possible and they completely nail that aspect. The way people talk and interact, the open environment and the limitations on supplies just make this actually feel like a living and breathing world that could exist (not to mention that cordyceps which is the disease in the game actually exists). Easily the best part of the game is it's overall presentation with it's great story, solid script, superb characters, excellent voice acting, and an unmatched environments. The gameplay while not the highlight is still loads of fun. This game is absolutely brutal with excellent animations and sound effects to make each gun shot, punch, strangle, and melee weapon sound real and gritty. The crafting system works well and adds a layer of choice and strategy along with the nice variety of weapons. The game especially on higher difficulties completely limits your supplies, forcing you to play more defensively and since this is a survival game, that's the way it should be. This isn't call of duty, you have to approach each situation with care, stealth, strategy and a choice. Do you want to use your precious amo on this group of infected for a generally easier time which after doing so will allow you to scout for more supplies? or do you want to stealthily take down each one which can be more difficult but you'll preserve supplies and will be able scout the area for more supplies afterwards? or do you just want to bypass them completely at the cost of not being able to scout for supplies but you'll still keep what you have? The choice is yours really. Lastly the multiplayer isn't anything amazing but it manages to implement the single player mechanics into multiplayer quite smoothly. There's a heavy emphasis on teamwork which I really like and the crafting system works really well here too. All in all I spent a lot of time on the multiplayer and probably will continue, but it certainly isn't the selling point of the game. So in the end the last is definitely one of the best games I played in a long time but its not the best. The overall texture pop ups get real glaring and I have come across a few glitches that don't break the game but certainly hinder the experience. But with that aside this is a must own game that offers one of the best stories, characters, and environments in gaming. Along with solid gameplay and multiplayer, The Last of Us is easily one of the Playstation's best games and should be in every self respecting gamer's collection. Bravo Naughty Dog. Expand
  72. Oct 11, 2013
    So far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was aSo far the game is nothing short of intense and immersive. The feeling of being out in the unknown puts this game at the lead in the genre because of how it is depicted. It is a tragic world. As for the game, it doesn't confine itself to the survival-horror formula by putting more flexibility in taking out enemies. Story-wise, the game goes for the emotions. The intro itself was a heart-breaker. The reason I proceeded to reviewing The Last of Us despite not having finished the game yet is because I've seen what I needed to see. It is one of those games that grabbed my attention throughout my game-time. Will possibly be one of the best games I played of all the video games I've played. Expand
  73. Jun 30, 2013
    If you follow The Walking Dead comics or Crossed, the story will probably not surprise you. It's almost predictable, but Naughty Dog really knows how to change the game pace at every step and how to decorate a level so you don't really notice that there is only one way to go.
    Honor mention for the multiplier, a very fresh twist over the classic deathmatch. The loading time for every game is too much and you will stop playing, probably, and that's a pity.
    It's a really good game, for sure, but the hype, in my opinion, it's too high in this case.
  74. Nov 3, 2013
    After 30 years of gaming, I have no problems putting this somewhere near the very top of any all-time greatest list. I generally don't go for the mainstream AAA titles, but this is an exception, and it is one game that absolutely deserves its praise. Believe the hype on this one, from beginning to end. For those that give it mediocre or low scores, you must just be either looking forAfter 30 years of gaming, I have no problems putting this somewhere near the very top of any all-time greatest list. I generally don't go for the mainstream AAA titles, but this is an exception, and it is one game that absolutely deserves its praise. Believe the hype on this one, from beginning to end. For those that give it mediocre or low scores, you must just be either looking for attention, or, if you truly didn't enjoy this game, the most boring person on Earth. Expand
  75. Jul 11, 2013
    A Great game, this is one of those generation game that are in that little list called "must have", realistic and reasonably hard (sometimes unreasonably). Would suggest to anyone in a heartbeat. The story itself is a pearl. The game gets 8/10 only because mechanics in the game are not that "new" or do not necessarily bring something "new" the game context, graphic, aesthetic and story areA Great game, this is one of those generation game that are in that little list called "must have", realistic and reasonably hard (sometimes unreasonably). Would suggest to anyone in a heartbeat. The story itself is a pearl. The game gets 8/10 only because mechanics in the game are not that "new" or do not necessarily bring something "new" the game context, graphic, aesthetic and story are simply amazing. Expand
  76. Dec 17, 2014
    10/10 - A gaming masterpiece. They type of game that comes along once in a few generations.

-Story 10/10
    -Characters 10/10
    -Graphics - 9/10
    -Gameplay - 9/10

Unforgettable experience than any self respecting videogame fan must own and love.
  77. Jul 12, 2013
    When I first saw the demos for this game, I thought this would just be an interesting stealth/action shooter type videogame, like the Uncharted series before it, but when I was done, I got so much more out of it, there was a nice emotional bond clearly between the main characters Joel and Ellie, I can safely say this has been the best game so far of 2013 that I have played and I have aWhen I first saw the demos for this game, I thought this would just be an interesting stealth/action shooter type videogame, like the Uncharted series before it, but when I was done, I got so much more out of it, there was a nice emotional bond clearly between the main characters Joel and Ellie, I can safely say this has been the best game so far of 2013 that I have played and I have a good feeling it will remain that way, definitely some good memories this will leave. Expand
  78. Jun 22, 2013
    Every now and again, a game comes around that gets all kinds of critical acclaim. Many are naturally drawn to the game in hopes of seeing whether or not the game lives up to the massive amounts of hype that it gets. "The Last of Us" is one of those games, and I am proud to say that it lives up to that hype. Naughty Dog, the makers of the critically acclaimed "Uncharted" series and the cultEvery now and again, a game comes around that gets all kinds of critical acclaim. Many are naturally drawn to the game in hopes of seeing whether or not the game lives up to the massive amounts of hype that it gets. "The Last of Us" is one of those games, and I am proud to say that it lives up to that hype. Naughty Dog, the makers of the critically acclaimed "Uncharted" series and the cult favorite "Crash Bandicoot" series, doesn't pull any punches in this gritty, violent, post-apocalyptic thriller. The best way to describe the game is that it contains the exploration and action elements of the "Uncharted" series with the stealth and story-telling elements of the "Metal Gear Solid" series with the scrounging and weapon conservation elements of survival horror. The graphics are top-notch, the scenery is breathtaking, the storytelling and character development is very compelling, the combat is both satisfying and challenging (especially when you are just getting used to it), and the game just feels incredibly real, as a whole. Bottom line, it is a game that needs to be played in order to feel the full reach of all of its great elements. There are a few items in the game that can be nitpicked, but none of these are able to take away from this amazing experience in a significant way. It is certainly one of the best games of this gaming generation and is a great way to begin the closing out the PS3 era and bringing in the PS4 era. Unless you are into blowing up certain miniscule shortcomings into something that they are not and considering them abject failures worthy of a 0 or 1 rating on the game's part (which many user reviewers rating this game negatively seem to be doing here), you will certainly enjoy this game. If you have a PS3, buy this game. If you don't, this game could easily be worth getting your hands on one in order to play this game. Expand
  79. Jun 24, 2013
    I really do not understand people that review this game and say, "nothing revolutionary game play wise." Yeah, well I haven't played a game that really truly has been "revolutionary". Of course game play gets repetitious, because that's what the game is. That's what every game is and if you enjoy how the game plays then enjoy it. I for one, greatly enjoyed the way this game moved andI really do not understand people that review this game and say, "nothing revolutionary game play wise." Yeah, well I haven't played a game that really truly has been "revolutionary". Of course game play gets repetitious, because that's what the game is. That's what every game is and if you enjoy how the game plays then enjoy it. I for one, greatly enjoyed the way this game moved and how it played. I found it to be very smooth and at the same time had some extremely brutal kills. I also enjoyed that I could either, sneak past enemies or take them on up front. The mixture of fighting other survivors and fighting infected was a good mix, and offered well in a variety of situations. It was very enjoyable to plan out my attacks and perhaps my defense.
    The story was exceptional, the cast was exceptional, and the setting was exceptional. I think it would've been awesome to be more open-world but no complaints here because the linear story path was awesome. I thought that the virus was interesting (especially since it's a real virus that occurs in nature) and I wish that was fleshed out more but everything made sense for the story.
    So story, game play, atmosphere, I thought it was all extremely well done and really hope NaughtyDog continues to expand upon this story.
    What surprised me the most is the multiplayer. Wow, I thought when I heard the game had online that it was going to be stupid. A bunch of Joels running around killing each other. Thankfully it is not that at all and actually quite entertaining especially when played with a buddy. Pick either Hunter or Firefly and build up your clan by doing well and winning matches. It's a cool way to divert from other games and shoot it out against others. Woot!
    My only issue with the game is your friendly AI, during parts where you are basically required to be stealthy they are chatting away and running around. The enemies do not react (which thank God they do not because a few parts would be atrocious) but I would've liked to see your friends (Ellie, etc.) to be more sneaky and really nail that creepy atmosphere of needing to be silent. Don't let that detract anybody though, this game is amazing and it deserves all the praise it's getting!
  80. Jul 8, 2013
    I went out and borrowed a friends PS3 just to play this game, and in the end I was not disappointed at all with the outcome. This game offers a very rich and powerful story which engages the players and makes keeps them going. Although, the main issue I had with this game was the lack of compelling gameplay. After finishing the game and reminiscing about what I had just played, it seemedI went out and borrowed a friends PS3 just to play this game, and in the end I was not disappointed at all with the outcome. This game offers a very rich and powerful story which engages the players and makes keeps them going. Although, the main issue I had with this game was the lack of compelling gameplay. After finishing the game and reminiscing about what I had just played, it seemed to alternate between 3 main mechanics. Runners/Clicker encounters in mostly dark areas, Human encounters and the used way to often find a pallet and get Ellie across some water. Although the gameplay felt very lacking, the story and amazing voice acting was enough to keep me compelled all the way through.

The next issue I had with the game were the bugs that were so out there, I was surprised they made it through Cert. Some of the issues I encountered were bodies randomly shooting up in the air after being dead for a few moments, scaring the crap out of me (which was kinda funny the first few times); there were some major issues with enemies clipping through objects, or passing right through them; then the major one which would break the immersion was when your allies would run into the open, right in front of an enemy while the player was sneaking through a section, and the enemy would not be alerted at all. I mean I could see this being extremely punishing if the enemies could be alerted by your companions, but at least it would be accurate.

Besides those issues I enjoyed playing through the game and watching the amazing cutscenes. The issues I mentioned above are not nearly enough to persuade me into giving this game a bad rating. For players looking for maybe one of the richest story driven experiences seen on either console of this generation, I would defiantly recommend picking this game up.
  81. Oct 31, 2013
    First off, the game is good. But I'm just so let down by the fact that what started as an epic horror-zombie survival game was actually a fight the bad guys adventure action game. The zombie and horror parts of the game are fantastic, but they are only about 20% of the game. Most of the game you fight military or paramilitary soldiers, and while those parts are good, I would have likedFirst off, the game is good. But I'm just so let down by the fact that what started as an epic horror-zombie survival game was actually a fight the bad guys adventure action game. The zombie and horror parts of the game are fantastic, but they are only about 20% of the game. Most of the game you fight military or paramilitary soldiers, and while those parts are good, I would have liked more survival style gameplay. Expand
  82. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is purely outstanding and has one of the most realistic game playing feelings compared to other survival games. Amazing graphics, gameplay mechanics, voice acting and really has a similar Uncharted feel to it. I like how you can explore almost anywhere you please for items or ammo or collectibles and etc. Ellie is a cool partner to have along the way, but honestly she isn't asThis game is purely outstanding and has one of the most realistic game playing feelings compared to other survival games. Amazing graphics, gameplay mechanics, voice acting and really has a similar Uncharted feel to it. I like how you can explore almost anywhere you please for items or ammo or collectibles and etc. Ellie is a cool partner to have along the way, but honestly she isn't as helpful as you would think in close combat situations, you are pretty much doing all the work, but hey thats what games are for right, it would be boring just to see your partner do everything. Plus there is the occasional glitch with surroundings and enemies every once in a while, for example I was sneaking up on an enemy aware of my presence, and when I got really close to him, he disappeared and was far behind me, I suggest the game might need an update. Ignore all of that, and you have an amazing story followed but many intense moments and an almost realistic looking plot line to follow it, The multiplayer is really creative, I think in opinion it has a Mass Effect feel with all the factions to go around it. Great game, highly recommended. Expand
  83. Jun 22, 2013
    Just beat the game on normal and it took me about 16 hrs to do. I can see how this game received so many "perfect" scores but I can also understand how a little overhyped it is. The graphics are only decent due to the occasional frame rate drops and some areas that don't look as nice. The gameplay is awesome at times but again is hindered by frame rate issues sometimes. I really liked theJust beat the game on normal and it took me about 16 hrs to do. I can see how this game received so many "perfect" scores but I can also understand how a little overhyped it is. The graphics are only decent due to the occasional frame rate drops and some areas that don't look as nice. The gameplay is awesome at times but again is hindered by frame rate issues sometimes. I really liked the overall presentation of the game and the great soundtrack. Although there were some sequences I really didn't enjoy playing I give this game a 9 because I support Naughty Dog for being outstanding game devs. I'm hoping for some interesting co op dlc but that probably won't happen. I haven't played mp yet but I will soon. Overall I think this game is yet another great AAA game from ND and I will most likely replay it until I get the plat. Expand
  84. Jan 30, 2014
    I had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is theI had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is the game with the best story i've ever played!! I think every ps3 owner should buy this game before upgarding to ps4! Thank you Naughty Dog! Expand
  85. Jun 29, 2014
    why i'm actually dissapointed with some of the negative reviews, the last of us on hard is one of the most intense games i have ever played, i loved the stealth segments, the crafting system, the enemy ai,the horror feeling,the shooting and everything else that was simple top notch, there is nothing wrong with adding a cinematic feeling to a stellar gameplay experience, i swear that evenwhy i'm actually dissapointed with some of the negative reviews, the last of us on hard is one of the most intense games i have ever played, i loved the stealth segments, the crafting system, the enemy ai,the horror feeling,the shooting and everything else that was simple top notch, there is nothing wrong with adding a cinematic feeling to a stellar gameplay experience, i swear that even without the story and the music i still would have love it, i guess that when something is so succesful it brings a lot of hate from jealous people,it becomes perfectly normal to hate great things, i really don't want to live in a cynic world where everything is considered overrated and meh Expand
  86. Jun 21, 2013
    This is the best game I have played in a very long time. I really cared for the characters in this game. The voice work, graphics and attention to detail is amazing. The only reason that I do not give this game a perfect score is that the AI can be a little unintelligent.
  87. Sep 22, 2013
    This is basically PS3's last hoorah before the PS4 comes out and they sure didn't disappoint. This game excels in almost every way. The graphics are beautiful, the voice acting is well done, and the gameplay is excellent. I didn't think it was possible to actually care about video game characters until this. Be prepared to get lost in the story; all of the highs and the lows, theThis is basically PS3's last hoorah before the PS4 comes out and they sure didn't disappoint. This game excels in almost every way. The graphics are beautiful, the voice acting is well done, and the gameplay is excellent. I didn't think it was possible to actually care about video game characters until this. Be prepared to get lost in the story; all of the highs and the lows, the never-ending tension of what or who might be around the next corner, and the paralyzing fear of trying to sneak past a group of clickers.

My only critiques would be that I found myself occasionally going the correct way when I meant to be exploring and would accidentally move into the next map and not be able to go back and explore further. Also, I found the final part of the game to be so difficult and frustrating that it basically disconnected me from the story and reminded me that it was all just a game. A bit of a letdown for how much real emotion I had invested in these characters. Still, this is a must play!
  88. Feb 25, 2014
    play this just play this nothing more great story great graphics great gameplay this game is a masterpeace nothing is bad just play it and you wil get it.
  89. Oct 7, 2013
    Lets face it... you know this game is good. But you wanna know how good? I gave this game a 9, but instead of praising like everyone else I want to point out the minor flaw, repetition. It only took me a few encounters before I could exploit the enemy AI. Soon enough I began handling all encounters the same way. It didn't take away from the tension though. If your not burnt out onLets face it... you know this game is good. But you wanna know how good? I gave this game a 9, but instead of praising like everyone else I want to point out the minor flaw, repetition. It only took me a few encounters before I could exploit the enemy AI. Soon enough I began handling all encounters the same way. It didn't take away from the tension though. If your not burnt out on the zombie theme this game is for you. Naughty Dog has cemented itself as one of the best studios in gaming history this generation. Expand
  90. Jul 24, 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it... Along with Skyrim and GTA 4, these 3 games are the best in the last 5 years. The Last of Us the best of the 3. I would say this is in my top 10 favorite games of all time. From a dramatic story to exceptional game play you will be amazed. The graphics however are the best part of this legendary game. A must play for all with a PS3
  91. Jun 21, 2013
    A truly amazing game of epic proportions. The character development in this game is simply unmatched. Compelling from beginning to end. Naughty Dog is one of the best developers in the industry and continue to prove that over and over again. Joel and Ellie are two of the best characters in gaming, their relationship has it's ups and downs but they always seem to overcome the odds. TheyA truly amazing game of epic proportions. The character development in this game is simply unmatched. Compelling from beginning to end. Naughty Dog is one of the best developers in the industry and continue to prove that over and over again. Joel and Ellie are two of the best characters in gaming, their relationship has it's ups and downs but they always seem to overcome the odds. They have both been through so much and each come to rely on one another more than they know. The gameplay is great. You have to be extremely tactical when approaching each encounter. Ammo and supplies are scarce so you need to be smart. This is a true survival horror game. Took me 18.5 hours on my first play through and currently going through my 2nd play through on new game+. It is easily in my top 5 games of all time. To sum it up The Last of us is simply a masterpiece. Expand
  92. Jun 21, 2013
    Quite possibly the best game made since gaming became a thing. From here on, it can only get better as Naughty Dog sets the bar yet again for how a game should portray a story and mix it with deep and calibrated gameplay. What games such as this can do is why gaming is a unique medium in entertainment. You cannot get an experience like this in a movie or a tv show. Top-notch acting,Quite possibly the best game made since gaming became a thing. From here on, it can only get better as Naughty Dog sets the bar yet again for how a game should portray a story and mix it with deep and calibrated gameplay. What games such as this can do is why gaming is a unique medium in entertainment. You cannot get an experience like this in a movie or a tv show. Top-notch acting, story, characters you care about and can relate to, polished settings as well as controls and gameplay that, contrary to naysayers, is not repetitive unless you make it so; as with any other game ever made. The few negatives are the usual, trivial problems that should not detract from a game such as this for anyone: AI going unnoticed clearly in view of enemies which can smite the illusion and extreme gore which isn't even a negative but definitely something not for everyone. However, gore can be turned off. Do not be turned off by people saying the game is overrated, it is not. There is a reason why critics and users alike love this game. Go ahead and buy it, in any case you will be participating in part of history. There is nothing to lose. Expand
  93. Jan 20, 2014
    I've been a gamer for over two decades now (ever since the original Nintendo), and I can firmly and confidently say that this is THE best game I've ever played.

This game without a doubt deserves 5/5. I feel that anyone that gives it less didn't get what it was trying to do. This isn't a standard video game. It's primary purpose is to tell you a story. An interactive story, where you actually feel like you're there with the characters, experiencing everything with them as they experience it. It's something books and movies can't quite pull off, and is video game specific. Even among games, it's extremely rare that a truly successful and well-done interactive narrative can be pulled off so successfully. Everything really matters.

The only downside I can think of is that there is a ton of swearing, and a pretty decent amount of violence, so this game isn't for the little ones below 10 years. Also, the AI does odd stuff occasionally. But virtually everything else is virtually flawless, breath-taking, heart-breaking, and intense. The writing, art & environments, acting, and music are all above top-notch. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, whether it be due to wondering what's lurking around the corner, or to hear what interesting tid-bit your in-game companions will say next.

This game is for anyone and everyone that appreciates a good story. If you've ever enjoyed a fictional book, movie, or video game, in your entire life, you owe yourself this experience. Do what you have to do, to become the last of us. You won't regret it.

P.S. You should really read the very short prequel comics first (before playing the game), written by the head writer of the game. They're official storyline, and really do add a lot of little neat things and details to the game that you wouldn't appreciate or would miss otherwise.
  94. Jun 30, 2014
    Great game, but nothing amazing. Story is the strong point of this game. Not sure why the reviews are so high... perhaps it's similarity to the Walking Dead. Game play is a little repetitive and ammo is too scarce. If you're a fan of zombies definitely try it out. Otherwise, I recommend the Uncharted games instead.
  95. Jun 20, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. All though I've watched it only and haven't played the actual game I believe that it is as close as we will get story wise to heavy rain on this generation of consoles. If this was on PC I would have paid up to 50 dollars for an experience like this it emotionally like the walking dead. I got a bit teary eyed when the daughter died at the beginning because she was funny. Expand
  96. Dec 21, 2013
    I waited until the end of the year to say this but this is definitely the greatest game of the year. A really emotional story with great gameplay, fun multiplayer and a good enough soundtrack (but check out the end credits song The Path by Gustavo Santaolalla, it's one of the greatest soundtrack songs ever)
  97. Jul 27, 2013
    ***MINOR SPOILERS***

Single player: I don't understand many decisions in the plot such as joel's girl dies and then we are suddenly 20 years in future and not knowing what the hell happens that time. WHY?! The plot is sometimes kinda lazy, but there are many nice moments too. Game mechanics works well, but underwater mechanics are poor. Friendly AI is kinda annoying they block
    ***MINOR SPOILERS***

Single player:

The plot is sometimes kinda lazy, but there are many nice moments too. Game mechanics works well, but underwater mechanics are poor. Friendly AI is kinda annoying they block your path and run everywhere, but as what i have noticed they don't get noticed by enemies of course if you are hiding and not seen by enemy .

Last of us is emotional and powerful, but is nothing to compared to walking dead series by telltale games. Tho developers did try something similar. You don't get that much emotionally attached to the characters as in walking dead.

Cut-scenes were amazing they were really realistic and graphics in general too. If you like hunting trophies...Well this is not game for you. In best you have to go past the game at least almost 4 full games and the collectibles...Why? There is really no point getting them other than for the trophy. Please don't put them on games anymore. No one likes collecting them. I was damn bored to the game after 2 play throughs. This game is linear as hell sadly :(

Multiplayer:

Multiplayer in last of us is actually very good and fun to play tho it lacks variety such as: more weapons, maps, game modes and i (personally) would like more customisation items. You really have to play as team to win. Pro tip: When you get first aid training 2 use it. Its amazing parts.

Closing thoughts:
    Well I can say that this game is very good ps3 exclusive and is for sure worth the money. I give singe player a 8 out of 10 because it lacks on strong emotional feelings AND IS DAMN LINEAR, but awesome in first play through.

I give multiplayer 9 out of 10. Multiplayer is kinda missing maps, modes and more weapons. They really should've been taking more time to multiplayer.

I GIVE TO THIS GAME A 8 OUT OF 10.

Hopefully you find this review useful.
  98. Mar 12, 2014
    Please note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept aPlease note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept a gun out every time she went alone to open a door or pull a lever. Naughty dog has definitely done their job on creating and atmosphere that you fear every door and corner you pass. This is definitely one of the top ten best games ever made. I completely recommend this game to ANYONE. I really feel like I know Joel and Ellie on a personal level, after playing this game. If you haven't played this game, you should be ashamed. GO OUT AND BUY IT KNOW! Expand
  99. Jan 6, 2014
    If you look at it for what it is, the last of us is really just a 3rd person cover based shooter with stealth mechanics, very much like tomb raider or uncharted. But that isn't what makes it special. What makes the Last of Us special is the story, the characters, the world that is created, one you feel a part of and immersed in.

The last of us proves that functional controls and an

The last of us proves that functional controls and an amazing story are a winning formula for games.
  100. Aug 18, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a solid Third Person experience. While not offering anything new in means of gameplay, it does give a fresh yet deep story were you can hook easily.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]