The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 22, 2013
    From the trailer, I thought it looked very appealing. I was not disappointed. However, after I started playing, the game pulled me in and did not let go until the very end. Every aspect of the game was made either flawless or mighty close to it. AI and the combat system were extremely realistic, while still fun and challenging at the same time. However, the main gem of this masterpiece isFrom the trailer, I thought it looked very appealing. I was not disappointed. However, after I started playing, the game pulled me in and did not let go until the very end. Every aspect of the game was made either flawless or mighty close to it. AI and the combat system were extremely realistic, while still fun and challenging at the same time. However, the main gem of this masterpiece is the story. It's not often you can play with so much emotional connection between the player and the characters. After one finishes the game, you're left with a great feeling and many thoughts, almost like after reading a really good novel. As for me, it took around 3 more days to really process the plot. There's so much depth, it really pulls the player in. The next comes the sound. It was beautifully made and used through out the entire game, and really completes the experience. This game earned a sincere place along with my all time favourites, next to Half Life series. If I would, I would give 20 out of 10, as the game really moved me, and it doesn't happen often. If you own a PS3, I believe it's a crime not to try it out.

P.S. Specifically tried not to give any plot details away.
  2. Jun 23, 2013
    Sensational hardly does it justice. The combat is brutal, tactical and engaging, forcing the player to take stock in their surroundings and use everything to their advantage. The gameplay fully feels part of the world. The main characters, Joel and Ellie, are very deep, more so than most books or movies, and the story manages to offer a level of emotional and moral nuance that has rarelySensational hardly does it justice. The combat is brutal, tactical and engaging, forcing the player to take stock in their surroundings and use everything to their advantage. The gameplay fully feels part of the world. The main characters, Joel and Ellie, are very deep, more so than most books or movies, and the story manages to offer a level of emotional and moral nuance that has rarely been explored in any medium. On top of this it is graphically and artisitcally stunning. A magnificant work of art. You owe it to yourself to play this game. Expand
  3. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. MAY CONTAIN MINOR SPOILERS**

I for one was looking forward to the 'The last of us' since I first heard it was being made. I was hoping for a 3rd person survival game, I didn't get that however I did get an enjoyable romp through zombie land. Let’s get to the review.

To begin, I'll start with is this worth the price and should you get it?

Pros Good if predictable story
    - Strong characterisation
    - Great setting
    - Look beautiful

Cons game play can be a bit lacking
    - Soundtrack is very forgettable

Is it worth the price tag? No, you should probably wait for it to drop if you're on the fence about buying it.
    Is it worth playing? Sure is, If you don't mind the price tag then go get it now

Now into the meat.

Story -
    The story is pretty well done even for being predictable, the characters seem really and have great personalities. The evolution of Joel and Ellies relationship while it was predictable came off as very real. The pacing was very good, I never once felt like I was rushed along and I only was puzzled by one moment at the start of the winter chapter. The atmosphere is great, especially when sneaking around clickers, you’re waiting to strike first in case they sense you and you’re always waiting for the next attack. One thing that I was hoping for and didn't get was multiple endings, I was hoping to choose what happened at the end but this is really only a nitpick

Sound -
    While the sound effects do their job and so does the music, they don't stand out except for the clickers click. The music is forgettable and I highly doubt you'll find yourself humming it in the shower.

Graphics -
    Wow, they did a great job on the graphics especially the cut scenes which look perfect, I haven't seen quality like this since square. Only one small complaint comes in this section and that is the brown leaves on the ground in winter when look very flat and one of place.

Gameplay -
    For me this is when the game starts to suffer, let’s get the pros out of the way. The upgrade system while basic works very well in showing the improvement of the character and guns, its also very easy to grasp. Close combat feels great, I love how it’s looks to smash someone in the face or hit them with an axe and finally stealthing around works for the most part and is very easy to pick up. The cons are cons that I had with the uncharted engine itself, guys take too many shots to kill and act like you just shot them with a stun gun instead of a bullet making long range follow up shots stupidly annoying to hit with. Aiming takes way to long in comparison to the enemies and they have unlimited ammo which really takes you out of the atmosphere of the game. Most of the game I spent throwing bricks and running up and snapping the guys neck than shooting. There is one really strange boss fight that breaks all the rules fighting the enemy type that he is and you can always tell when a big battle is coming up by how much ammo you're getting. The mandatory battle are really annoying too, while you can stealth some of them, most you can't or is very hard and I feel its a way to make you use your hard earned ammo and bombs up. I would have preferred them take the mandatory battles away and not have been as generous with ammo, health packs and crafting items.

Overall with my complaints aside, the game is a solid experience and why can't we enjoy a predictable story if it’s told well? It certainly a contender for the best released title so far however it is not god’s gift to gaming, it will not change the face of gaming or storytelling. It’s just a good game.
  4. Jun 23, 2013
    The biggest problem keeping me from giving this game a 10 is the glitches. There are enough to distract from gameplay and I'm not the only one that has had problems. The gameplay is not unlike uncharted but it does play differently and better. It's an extremely enjoyable and often challenging experience that is definitely worth playing. The story matched with great gameplay made thisThe biggest problem keeping me from giving this game a 10 is the glitches. There are enough to distract from gameplay and I'm not the only one that has had problems. The gameplay is not unlike uncharted but it does play differently and better. It's an extremely enjoyable and often challenging experience that is definitely worth playing. The story matched with great gameplay made this wonderful to play, just be aware it does glitch and sometimes you have to restart an encounter to get it to quit. Expand
  5. Jun 23, 2013
    The story of The Last of Us is one that has definitely been told many times before, but its deep character development and constant questioning of what is morally right and wrong are what make this tale truly stand out from the group.

Many things I enjoyed about the game have already been mentioned numerous times before by different reviewers so I will focus on what I think many have overlooked. Firstly the voice acting of Troy Baker (Joel) and Ashley Johnson (Ellie) is phenomenal; in fact one of the reasons it may have been so overlooked is purely for how natural and believable it is. Despite working out of a white walled studio whilst wearing motion capture suits, they still obtain a grasp and understanding about the desolate world they're living better than some Hollywood actors.

Another feature I'd like to take a minute to talk about is the online multiplayer, which manages to emulate the tension and ferocity from the single player campaign and apply it into a competitive format. There are two modes: death match and a single life survivor match both of which you play to find supplies and complete challenges to keep your clan healthy and bring in my members. If you chose to synch it to your Facebook account your clan members consist of your Facebook friends and family which makes it even more relatable and disappointing when you fail to protect or provide for them. Overall the multiplayer is a solid and enjoyable inclusion to the game, but disappointingly missing are any forms of match which you are playing or pitted against the infected.
  6. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For our full review, visit b-ten.com/the-last-of-us-review/

Gameplay

The gameplay, I’d say, is probably the weakest aspect of this, overall, powerful game. While stealth combat continued to peak my interest throughout my first play-through of the game, many action-based scenes became redundant and attempting to progress towards the next cut-scene felt as if it were to take ages. Naughty Dog certainly improved the repetitive gameplay mechanics found in Uncharted 3, but clearly interactivity was not a priority in this critically-acclaimed intellectual property.

Some chapters would require players to quietly take out a number of enemies using stealth, while others would focus more on direct combat. Some even required that players use a variety of both. If one thing’s for certain, though, it’s the fact that resources, throughout the game’s entirety were limited. Players are left scavenging for more guns, ammunition, shivs, med kits, and crafting materials used to create materials when all remaining hope of survival seems lost.

The infected added an unusual sense of survival horror to this third-person action game which I felt was enforced perfectly. The horror elements found within the game aren’t too daunting for players accustomed to less frightening action games, but also aren’t too subtle for those with an appetite for fear. The clickers, being the most reputable of the infected, live up to the expectations in which they too must be approached using stealth and creativity on the player’s end. The runners are easily defeated with melee weapons, such as a knife, baseball bat, or my personal favorite: an axe. And finally, the bloaters being the most challenging infected seem to only take offense by distance weapons when first set fire to by a Molotov or perhaps a flamethrower.

Overall, the gameplay featured in The Last of Us was aspiring, but weak in comparison to other games which resemble this one. Much of the repetitiveness in reoccurring player deaths seems futile, but is easily overshadowed by the underlying drama found within the story’s context. Naughty Dog is a profoundly celebrated developer, resulting in expectations rising with each new release. The Last of Us’ gameplay accentuates impressive ideas, easily meeting my expectations, but failing to exceed them.

Story

Completely disregarding all similarities The Last of Us shares with other media, its story is flawless. With each cut-scene, new emotions are evoked and with that in mind, new thought are provoked. Without spoiling major plot-points, the game brings many improved elements to the Naughty Dog universe and refreshes a genre which, to me, was beginning to annoy me to no end.

Sharing nearly seamless similarities with Cormac McCarthy’s The Road, while also sharing influences with The Walking Dead and I Am Legend, the premise of The Last of Us is doubtlessly no foreign concept to those who have played it, but sparks new life in its unquestionable focus on character empathy, relationships, and the importance of life. Thematically, the game offers an array of new ideas, but does so in a way that feels fragmented at points.

With each segment of gameplay leading to a new piece of the story’s puzzle, one would imagine Naughty Dog, of all developers, could realize by now the importance of seamlessly integrating story with interaction. Irrational Games successfully proved with the Bioshock series that narrative in video games doesn’t require a complete pause in gameplay to successfully carry a point across. This is where The Last of Us fails. The gameplay and cut-scenes found within the game felt as though I was consuming two different products. I was playing a video game, while being surprisingly interrupted by glorious cinematic features.

While I’ll let it slide by this time, as I have with each of Naughty Dog’s previous installments, due to their knack for storytelling, at some point the developer needs to begin to grasp the concept of seamless storytelling integration without the need for gameplay interruption.
  7. Jul 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is amazing. It gives you an emotional story about the growing father-daughter relationship between Ellie and Joel and also shows them grow through all of their ordeals. This game will make your heart race and sink not because of the action, but because of the unknown fate of the characters. The gameplay is similar to that of Uncharted which works really well in the controlsThe Last of Us is amazing. It gives you an emotional story about the growing father-daughter relationship between Ellie and Joel and also shows them grow through all of their ordeals. This game will make your heart race and sink not because of the action, but because of the unknown fate of the characters. The gameplay is similar to that of Uncharted which works really well in the controls department. While I was never "scared" of the infected in the game, I certainly felt threatened by them. The fights in the game can range from mildly boring or frustrating to intense dances between the player and the AI which can rival that the like of the Monster Hunter series. The music is superb. It fits perfectly with the game and sends chills down your spine every time you hear it. The graphics are some of the best not only on the PS3, but also of this generation, even rivaling some PC games. Your breath with be taken away as you look out at the abandoned cities, reclaimed by nature. The Last of Us is a game like no other. If you have the chance you must play this game. It is a milestone in not only consoles, but gaming as a whole showing that games can be as cinematic and emotionally impacting as Movies can. This game knocks Bioshock Infinite down to number 4 on my top 10 favorite games list right below number 2, Ocarina of Time, and number 1, Wind Waker. Expand
  8. Jun 23, 2013
    The Last of Us, a PS3 exclusive is being touted as one of the best games...ever. That’s high praise for what is essentially a zombie killing spree. In a nutshell, it focuses on a rugged survivor in a post apocalyptic world tasked with escorting a fourteen yr. old girl. The girl who is immune to the spores which has turned most of mankind into walking fungal diseases, needs to be taken toThe Last of Us, a PS3 exclusive is being touted as one of the best games...ever. That’s high praise for what is essentially a zombie killing spree. In a nutshell, it focuses on a rugged survivor in a post apocalyptic world tasked with escorting a fourteen yr. old girl. The girl who is immune to the spores which has turned most of mankind into walking fungal diseases, needs to be taken to someone, somewhere who can turn her blood into a cure.
    Where this game shines is it’s graphics. Video games have been leapfrogging each other over the years to perfect their graphics and The Last of Us has reached the pinnacle, so to speak. Photo-realism is the best descriptor. It’s like you’re playing masterpiece painting within a movie. In a lot of games, the cut scenes are of a better quality than the game play graphics. In the Last of Us, they are on par.
    The acting doesn’t disappoint either. The characters obviously modeled on real people are pitch perfect with their voices, and great pains are taken to capture facial expressions down to a tic.
    It is one of the more profane games I’ve played. Anywhere they can throw a curse word in, they do, which means it’s strictly late night playing with my impressionable six year around.
    The action is visceral, especially in hand to hand combat and easy with one melee button and no complicated combos. The guns leave something to be desired with their spotty aiming and bullets which seem to have no effect on adversaries until the fifth or sixth one. Given that you have realistic, limited ammo this is a drawback. However well the game has been promoting the fact that finding said ammo is quite difficult to find, I haven’t run out yet, as it is a bit more plentiful than suggested. Stealth is the suggested mode of combat, and works well until you are right up behind an enemy or beside him, and the button you’re supposed to press for surprise attack simply does not...work.

Exploring the world is fun as you are constantly on the hunt for ingredients for Molotov medkits, and shivs. You are often tasked with finding hidden ways out of a particular place which after a little searching is rewarding.
    The touted variety of the world well beautiful and grim can get repetitious. Forest, abandoned city/town, forest...you get the idea.
    Save points are generous in that well you may die quite a few times before clearing a certain area, it doesn’t set you back too far after restarting, but lets you complete the particular action piece from approximately where you died until you manage to survive. The only complaint I have is that where stealth is the suggested course of action, it often turns into a close quarters melee battle through no fault of your own and often the only way to kill all your enemies is one-two punching your way through. When stealth does work, however, it is very rewarding.
    From what I’ve played so far, it is stellar game but it doesn’t quite deserve the rave 10 out 10 reviews it’s been getting. I’ll give it a 8 out of 10 with a more complete review coming once I’ve finished the game.
  9. Jul 27, 2013
    Aside from the AI issue with making noise when silence is necessary, this game is pretty much perfect, the story is incredible, the characters are believable, and the gameplay is enjoyable. No other game has ever drawn me in and made me care like this game did
  10. Jul 19, 2013
    No game I have played has stirred as many emotions as 'The Last of Us,' which I played through three times (always succumbing to the ending). It would be nearly impossible to improve this game, but I prefer open world games that reveal story more through gameplay than cinematics. Still, this game is nearly perfect, and it deserves every accolade—well designed, well written, well acted.
  11. Jun 30, 2013
    Before I wrote this review, I made sure to get my facts straight regarding the argument that somehow The Last of Us is a ripoff of Bioshock: Infinite. I have decided (from going over it for awhile) that even though they have similarities, The Last of Us is in no way a ripoff given the fact that many games have a female sidekick. Elizabeth does a lot less for the main character than Ellie.Before I wrote this review, I made sure to get my facts straight regarding the argument that somehow The Last of Us is a ripoff of Bioshock: Infinite. I have decided (from going over it for awhile) that even though they have similarities, The Last of Us is in no way a ripoff given the fact that many games have a female sidekick. Elizabeth does a lot less for the main character than Ellie. They both give you health packs and ammo, but Ellie also helps you fight. I digress; the game is amazing-no less than what I would expect from Naughty Dog. The scenery is perfect and really brings the post-apocalyptic world to life. After finishing the game for the first time I had to stop and think about all of the issues portrayed in this game. This is not some game that you can just run through and just go in with guns blazing. This is a game that really takes a lot of thinking. The story line just as much so. Once again Naughty Dog has made a game that is enjoyable, thought provoking. It leaves you with a new point of view. Expand
  12. Jun 28, 2013
    This is a good game not a fantastic game like a lot of people as saying. I found the story let me down a bit i was thinking it was going to be this great thing with all of these surpriser but about 10 minuters into it i worked out all most the whole story, the gameplay is good i like how there wasn't a lot of ammo and supplies which made you think ok how am i going to get past this pointThis is a good game not a fantastic game like a lot of people as saying. I found the story let me down a bit i was thinking it was going to be this great thing with all of these surpriser but about 10 minuters into it i worked out all most the whole story, the gameplay is good i like how there wasn't a lot of ammo and supplies which made you think ok how am i going to get past this point the controls could of been a bit better then they were.
    in the end i did have a lot of fun with this and if your fine with okay story good gameplay okay controls then this game is for you
  13. Jun 29, 2013
    Muy buen juego extremadamente exigente un fresco para la típica dificultad de un shooter bota balas.
    El mejor survival de esta generación un obra maestra en todo sentido jugable en banda sonora de primerísima calidad cualquier película envidiaría el ost de este juego
  14. Jun 29, 2013
    I think its fair to start off by saying I really don't like the uncharted game series. Its ruined by trying to combine Tomb Raider Gears of War type game play and both suffer. With that being said the Last of Us is currently one of the best story driven games I've played in awhile. First of all the worlds look amazing and taking the time to properly encode the sound just made the worldI think its fair to start off by saying I really don't like the uncharted game series. Its ruined by trying to combine Tomb Raider Gears of War type game play and both suffer. With that being said the Last of Us is currently one of the best story driven games I've played in awhile. First of all the worlds look amazing and taking the time to properly encode the sound just made the world that much more immerse on my surround sound system. The combat is very slow and based heavily on sneaking due to the lack of ammo and supplies laying around. However the final end of game combat mission knocked this game down a point for me as it tries to either force you to spend a ton of time sneaking be a 3rd person shooter all of a sudden which just doesn't work.

The story is well done, the world is beautiful and I would put this on my list of 2013 must plays.
  15. Jun 29, 2013
    Congratulations Naughty Dog.
    You made it again.
    What a incredible journey.
    The search for the cure and also for self-knowledge.
    This game is already automatically between my 5 favorites.
    Please make a sequel, but keep Joel and Ellie.
    Graphics: 10 Sound: 10 Gameplay: 10 History: 10 Entertainment: 10
    I just finished the Survivor mode and was quite a challenge!
  16. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to say even though when i started playing already had high expectations, i was never disappointed and was even surprised. ND is already know by their good looking games and interesting characters along side with nice gameplay. I guess that just did it again but even better. When you finish the game it stays with you, the thought about the end, the journey, and how incredibly awesomeI have to say even though when i started playing already had high expectations, i was never disappointed and was even surprised. ND is already know by their good looking games and interesting characters along side with nice gameplay. I guess that just did it again but even better. When you finish the game it stays with you, the thought about the end, the journey, and how incredibly awesome the whole experience was. This is what games are all about! Expand
  17. Jun 30, 2013
    This is flat out the best game I've ever played. I don't think I would honestly give any other game I've played a 10. The gameplay was solid (I especially enjoyed the stealth mechanics) and the realism was refreshing. However, it was the story that made this game a must play. I felt even more the minor characters that only popped into the story for an hour or two. The ending was great andThis is flat out the best game I've ever played. I don't think I would honestly give any other game I've played a 10. The gameplay was solid (I especially enjoyed the stealth mechanics) and the realism was refreshing. However, it was the story that made this game a must play. I felt even more the minor characters that only popped into the story for an hour or two. The ending was great and better than I could have even hoped for. This game is an experience I would recommend to anyone... who's mature enough to handle it of course as the game is very graphic. Expand
  18. Jun 3, 2016
    When it comes to atmosphere, Naughty Dog is one of the best at setting it. It's dark, serious and emotional and carries a dark theme all the way through.
  19. Jul 5, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a masterpiece. Troy and Ashley give life to Joel and Ellie in a unique way, every character in the game is unique. The gameplay is tense, it's slow, giving you the chance to plan your approach to each situation you encounter. You may see a few bugs along the way, and you can say that enemy AI does not see Ellie, but that is the only problem that the game has. The way theThe Last Of Us is a masterpiece. Troy and Ashley give life to Joel and Ellie in a unique way, every character in the game is unique. The gameplay is tense, it's slow, giving you the chance to plan your approach to each situation you encounter. You may see a few bugs along the way, and you can say that enemy AI does not see Ellie, but that is the only problem that the game has. The way the game plays, and the way that the game ends, it will keep you on edge from start to finish. The multiplayer is great and special. And I can say that The Last Of Us is one of the best games of this generation, if not the best, and a very solid game that could be Game Of The Year 2013. Expand
  20. Jul 5, 2013
    Greeting's everyone, I would just like to start with saying the game is truly amazing, it really is. When you think about what must of gone into actually producing this game, it's unbelievable. And, they have done it very well, maybe the best out there in terms of production. But alas these AAA games come with a AAA cost, and there is the problem. Is a, more than likely, once play-throughGreeting's everyone, I would just like to start with saying the game is truly amazing, it really is. When you think about what must of gone into actually producing this game, it's unbelievable. And, they have done it very well, maybe the best out there in terms of production. But alas these AAA games come with a AAA cost, and there is the problem. Is a, more than likely, once play-through game really worth $60+tax? The average game play-through is around 10 hours and in terms of actual game-play mechanics we aren't being offered anything new.

Despite that, I decided to pick it up. I am a game fanatic to put it lightly, and when I see a AAA game come out and get a metascore like this I can't help but have to give it a shot. Honestly I am burn out on the whole zombie apocalypse thing, but ultimately what did it in for me was when I heard the game was loosely based on the Novel/Movie The Road written by Cormac McCarthy which is hands down my favorite portrayal of an apocalyptic Earth.

Well, I must say that I am very happy with the game overall. In fact, it is one of my favorite games right now, if not of all time (in the list of course hehe). But besides what I think about the game and my "feelings", I would like to explain why I think the game is so well accepted and rated so highly. I am also going to do my best to avoid from any spoilers. This won't take long I promise.

First, this game is essentially an interactive movie, of sorts. It isn't an FPS, nor an action adventure, but really more of a movie that you are a part of. In terms of accuracy, control responsiveness, camera angles, and overall character mobility the game is very much lacking. In fact, the game doesn't really offer anything new that you don't see in Uncharted, simple fact. Most development companies reuse game engines all the time, they just continually refine them and build on them eventually becoming the amazing things we see and love today. This is no exception, as you can easily find similarities between Uncharted and TLoU.

Regardless of that, the game does offer many amazing things. Probably the strongest point being it's story and ability to make you feel immersed. Hell, I was almost in tears just by the intro. The game has done an amazing job at compelling the audience, it captures your attention and like any good movie or game, you become immersed in the illusion. And in that aspect it wins by leaps and bounds. Now, that's not to say the game is 100% like that, no. There are some parts that do seem a bit repetitive and game like. But in the end, as a whole the good far outweighs the bad. If you let a few small flaws interfere with your ability to see the larger picture then this game may not be for you, because it is not without it's flaws.

My last point I will make is that the game also is the pitch perfect example of a well written and structured story. I think many games fail to capture the essence of proper story telling, where you carry out a structure of rules such as an opening, climax, closure, to name a few. When you structure your story based on these guidelines it helps to make the story more entertaining. Naughty Dogs nailed the structure spot on and I really believe that helped a lot.

In the end, it really is up to the individual, and as I know there will always be those who don't agree with me so don't just take my word for it. Actually my advice would be, if you are unsure about rather or not you want to fork out the cash for it, go try Uncharted 3 and if you like that then I would definitely say get the game. Otherwise it may not be for you. If you liked Uncharted but your not sure if you liked it that much, just realize that this game is of much better quality, but still at it's core the same style.

Anyways, my final score is a 9. Because, as much as I loved the game a 10 is a perfect score and the game is not perfect. My honest opinion, and to be more specific it's more of an 8.5 but I just rounded up I know a lot of you would disagree either too low or too high, but hey it's just my humble opinion.

Peace
    RoboToxic
  21. Jul 6, 2013
    The game is remarkable in many ways, it looks amazing, the voice acting is superb, the game play is fun, but there is one single major flaw that really annoyed me throughout the entire game, and that is the enemy reaction to your companions... or complete lack of reaction.

Your there, using stealth going slow round clickers and out of nowhere, Ellie runs straight to you, straight into the clicker, bumping it back a little, yet nothing, it doesn't react or go for them, they just don't exist as far as their concerned.

It really pulls you from the whole experience somewhat, you don't fear for your young companion, which is a missed opportunity in immersing you to the world.

I still loved every minute of the game, I just didn't really care much which is a shame.
  22. Mar 15, 2016
    The story and drama are clearly the big draw in this game. It undoubtedly accounts for the overwhelming majority of perfect and near perfect scores. I can understand scores being that high for this aspect of the game, but the problem with this is that it makes a mockery of any kind of integrity in rating the game when this is the basis for your overall score of the game as a whole. ThisThe story and drama are clearly the big draw in this game. It undoubtedly accounts for the overwhelming majority of perfect and near perfect scores. I can understand scores being that high for this aspect of the game, but the problem with this is that it makes a mockery of any kind of integrity in rating the game when this is the basis for your overall score of the game as a whole. This game is NOT perfect, and it is NOT near perfect. So why are the scores?

The actual game play and combat are ordinary at best. This is a significant part of the game, but apparently little or no deductions are made for this. The mediocre to average combat and game play means the game also has little to no replay value. I think most people would also agree that there are significant lulls in this game where things can get a little boring or tedious. Fortunately, the beginning and ending are great, and they are the two most important areas to get right if you are unable to maintain a high level throughout the whole game. So I guess a lot of people are willing to overlook some of the parts in between. Another lesser criticism would be that the game is a little too dreary even for a game with that type of subject matter. Level design is also far from perfect.

What happens when another game comes along and equals the drama and story of "The Last of Us", but also has great combat and game play? Does it get a score of 120 out of a hundred, or a 12 out of 10? It is a good game and deserves a good overall score, but a score in the mid to high eighties is a very good score and this game really should not be any higher than that. If you come to this game after seeing all of these extremely high scores and listening to all of the hype, you may be especially disappointed. My actual score would be an 8.5 but this system does not allow for that so I gave it an 8.
  23. Jul 14, 2013
    [Deleted]....................................................................................................................................................................................................
  24. May 30, 2014
    The Last of Us

Campaign - The campaign is amazing, it has a story which not a lot of games have now a days, a interesting one, this was the game which i bought with my PS3 and i was not disappointed, its characters act real, you care for the characters and it has some of most emotional moments in video game history and for it being a PS3 game, its graphics push the boundaries.
    The Last of Us

Multiplayer - The multiplayer is the shocker for me, it is surprisingly fun, it has a nice use of survival, stealth and tactics, not just run and gun like most games (CoD, Battlefield).

Overall - The Last of Us is the one of only games i have played more than once, and wanted to and also has some moments which will bring the tears out, 10/10
  25. Jul 11, 2013
    Hi !
    Iam just registered and i made it only or posting my opinion.
    Why you people so hard to surprise nowadays? Game is amazing and its a fact. I think people who scored lower than 80 expected something more and made themselves frustrated. I was seeking for this game more than 1 year Am i amazed? No. Do i like this game a lot! 17 september there will be gta5 and what would you
    Hi !
    Iam just registered and i made it only or posting my opinion.

Why you people so hard to surprise nowadays?
    Game is amazing and its a fact.

17 september there will be gta5 and what would you say guys who scored less than 80 its just another game with cars,guns and gangsters?
    Try to relax. When it was remember me did you enjoy it? A lot! But you werent waiting it every day watching trailers and reading dev comments.

Why i always say 80 80 80....i think there is still no game in the world with 100. Because if they were there would nothing to do more. And its great there is the place to grow.
    its three kind of people positive negative and neutral. You just decide for yourself who you are.

This game is must play for everybody. ND thank you for last 4 games U made.
  26. Jul 12, 2013
    I've beaten The Last of Us on normal and survivor difficulty and sunk about 10 hours into the multiplayer, so you could say I've definitely gotten my money's worth out of this game (and will continue to play it).

The Last of Us is an incredible experience, and if the concept of the game at all interests you then it is worth a purchase. Here's what I loved: The story It's good,

The story It's good, really good. Yes, it has zombies and post-apocalypse tropes, but by the end the plot goes in a very unexpected and powerful direction. The weakest part of the game is unfortunately the first couple hours, after the prologue. It picks up the pace though, and the ending hit me like an emotional sucker punch. My first play through took about 16 hours,

The graphics are superb. what really took me in however was the attention to detail. If you let this game suck you in, it will. Combat and the stealth aren't anything groundbreaking, but being out of ammo and trying to sneak around an agitated "Clicker" is appropriately terrifying. Voice acting was perfect and only one line of dialogue out of hundreds struck me as being a little cheesy. Music was top-notch. Multiplayer is truly unique and pretty fun to boot, though it may not keep you engaged for more than a few hours.

I really wanted to give this game a ten, but a few issues kept me from doing so:

1. Friendly AI can't be noticed by enemies, which didn't bother me so much. What DID bother me was when I was trying to stealth and my AI buddies decided to open fire for no discernible reason, making me get munched on and have to start over.

2. Enemy AI has some issues. The infected functioned fine, but human enemies sometimes seemed to space out and stare at walls even after being alerted by gunshots or fallen buddies. One section of the midgame this seemed to occur frequently.

3. I admittedly got tired of pushing dumpsters and moving around ladders.

In conclusion, Joel is no Nathan Drake and you shouldn't expect the gameplay to be fast and fluid like Uncharted. Regardless, this game is without a doubt within the top ten I've ever played, and I've been playing for twenty years. Don't get put off by the idea of zombies, because you quickly realize they aren't the driving force behind this game.

It may not appeal to every gamer, but Naughty Dog has crafted something special here.
  27. Jul 13, 2013
    This is the best survival game i've ever played. I played it on hard difficulty, cuz i didnt want it finish. Perfect graphics, perfect story, dialogues are perfect, gametime is perfect. You must play it!
  28. Jul 16, 2013
    The Game is great, the environment is cool, and it tells a very good story. The game is one of the best of recent times, but it isn't without it's flaws. The AI is questionable at times, with clickers not noticing you sometimes, never noticing allies no matter the crap they pull, even on survivor difficulty this is a problem. One other problem I have with it is how the grass is cut, whoThe Game is great, the environment is cool, and it tells a very good story. The game is one of the best of recent times, but it isn't without it's flaws. The AI is questionable at times, with clickers not noticing you sometimes, never noticing allies no matter the crap they pull, even on survivor difficulty this is a problem. One other problem I have with it is how the grass is cut, who is cutting grass in infected neighborhoods? Great story and the multiplayer is a solid edition. This is a very good game is comes highly recommended. Expand
  29. Jul 17, 2013
    The Last of Us was by far one of my personal most anticipated games of the entire year of 2013, besides SimCity, we all know how that went down. The story was put together and like many other people here on this forum I found the game's intro to be revolutionary for it was one of the first post-apocalyptic games to actually show the night of the apocalypse Even so I give the game an 8/10The Last of Us was by far one of my personal most anticipated games of the entire year of 2013, besides SimCity, we all know how that went down. The story was put together and like many other people here on this forum I found the game's intro to be revolutionary for it was one of the first post-apocalyptic games to actually show the night of the apocalypse Even so I give the game an 8/10 since honestly the experience didn't wow me like some over games, I mean half the game your picking up ladders, rolling dumpsters or getting the stupid pallet for Ellie to jump on. These extremely repetitive scenes tended to kill the immersion since you could see the laziness of variety within the game. Apart from the repetitive "bridge-crossing" scenes the story was very well written, the bonding that slowly formed between Joel and Ellie and the weird/interesting friends/foes they encountered along the way. Yet even so the ending did prove for me to be a disappointment, for ending a game with the line "Okay." felt like the game was unfinished or rushed to be finished since they could have taken that so much further given the circumstance leading up to the final line. Overall, this game would not make my top ten list and left me felling a bit let-down, yet this does not mean it was a bad game. The story of it was superb up until the end and the combat was satisfying apart from the occasional AI glitch. I would recommend renting/buying this game used for the story but do not expect to be be blown away otherwise you may feel left in the dust like me. Expand
  30. Aug 11, 2013
    The Last of Us is simply one of the best games ever made. Do not listen to the hate you may have seen from Tom Chick from Quarter to Three (considering he gave Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 an 8/10) or in the YouTube comments calling it "overrated" and an "interactive movie." The Last of Us is a splendid journey that will take you around 18-20 hours with many scenes that will leave youThe Last of Us is simply one of the best games ever made. Do not listen to the hate you may have seen from Tom Chick from Quarter to Three (considering he gave Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 an 8/10) or in the YouTube comments calling it "overrated" and an "interactive movie." The Last of Us is a splendid journey that will take you around 18-20 hours with many scenes that will leave you speechless showing the worst humanity can do to each other. I can't say much about the campaign without spoiling it, but its certainly one of the best single player experiences one could ask for. This game is not an interactive movie. There is plenty of gameplay. The only gameplay flaws I can see are some bad AI that can break the immersion, but this only becomes an annoyance and doesn't ruin the experience in any way.

The Last of Us also comes with a fulfilling multiplayer experience. Its in no way the focus and premises of the game, so if you buy games only for multiplayer, then go back to COD. Multiplayer is in no way perfect; but its unique and a challenge to master. Players must work together in order to survive and eliminate the other team. However, be warned, many players are a bit stupid. There have been plenty of instances where I am down and a teammate who is standing next to me clear as day lets me die. Be prepared for moments like this, help your team if you really want to win. One annoyance I found was the challenges. You have a population that you build up as you play multiplayer more that you need to feed and make sure stay healthy, but many times you'll be greeted with a challenge saying "Get 3 Shiv kills or 100 of your population dies." Its extremely annoying and you are greeted with it a lot, but in no way ruins this otherwise excellent multiplayer experience in this single player focused game.

The Last of Us is a remarkable game on Naughty Dog's part, they have created maybe their best game yet. Any hate you find on this game are just trolls trying to get people angry or think everything needs to be open world and non-linear. The Last of Us is a linear experience, but its an excellent linear experience, it in no way holds your hand at all. A must own for anybody with a PS3. If you own a PS3 and do not purchase this title then your PS3 should be taken away. Simple as that.
  31. Jul 20, 2013
    Simply one of the best game's this year, and of this generation. Packed with a gripping emotional story, and a unique multi-player experience. This game is well worth the price, and i recommend this game to any PS3 owner.
  32. Jul 22, 2013
    It may not be a complete masterpiece, but it is damn close to one. I have never had such an emotional connection to a video game character in all my years of gaming. It's amazing what Naughty Dog could crank out of the ps3 at the tail end of its life before the ps4 comes out. It may be a little slow in the first quarter of the game but don't let my stop you from buying this amazing game.
  33. Jul 22, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Where to start with The Last Of Us'?
    Well I was highly anticipating this game for about 18 months and firstly I have to say, It did not disappoint !!
    I'd say it is THE BEST game I've ever played. It ticks all the boxes in my eyes, I almost s**t myself and checked all dark places in my house, the reason for this is because I got so emotionally involved that it felt real.
    You could see the emotional bond growing and how he adopts her as his own.
    Although I haven't played the multi -player I am still looking forward to that.
    I am going to play it again as soon as I forget what happens....
    the reason for this is because I want to get that feeling again and again and again.
    I've heard they have said about their being a sequel and that it will not be Joel and Ellie in that as the playable characters and I agree with this as anything added to that relationship and if they were to it would ruin that and the whole series so a fresh outlook will be amazing.
    I'd also quite like to see a co-op mode so that the AI won't affect you as much and more people can enjoy the experience of the enthralling, emotional roller coaster that is 'The Last of Us'
  34. Jul 23, 2013
    This was a really good game! A testimony to Naughty Dogs story telling ability. The story was engaging and I kept coming back for more. I did feel like it ended a little too quickly considering what had just happened in the story progression, but that is just a minor grip. Also another grip would be the hand to hand combat, it seem a little awkward. I didn't care for multiplayer, but iThis was a really good game! A testimony to Naughty Dogs story telling ability. The story was engaging and I kept coming back for more. I did feel like it ended a little too quickly considering what had just happened in the story progression, but that is just a minor grip. Also another grip would be the hand to hand combat, it seem a little awkward. I didn't care for multiplayer, but i didn't buy this game for the multitplayer. There is one thing that i would complain about and that is immersion breaking elements. Specifically during the stealth sections when you are suppose to be quite and your comrades are running around, stomping there feet, and generally talking quite loud. It made me remember that I was playing a game and that really sucks, because the story kept sucking me in. This game is good enough to make me over look those things and I would label it as a must buy for PS3 users at a discount purchase. Expand
  35. Jul 25, 2013
    Naughthy Dog could have only add zombies to Uncharted 3 and give it to us a ne title. But this game is much more. The graphics and gameplay is fun as ever. The AI is just over the top. The gameplay is so realistic and the story really grabs you. I care about Ellie more than I care about my own sister. Overalli we can easily say that this game is a masterpiece. CONGRATS AGAIN NAUGHTY DOG
  36. Jul 26, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is why PlayStation is amazing, because of its great exclusives. I loved everything about this game, the game mechanics, the characters, the graphics, the voice acting, and more things that are endless. This game is awesome because it's not only killing infected people, it has an incredible story and you also have to use your mind for stealth and other things. You can choose whether to be stealth or go straight up on combat. You can talk to Ellie while exploring the beautiful world and you can get more emotionally adapted to them. I guarantee to you that this will be one of the best games you will experience and that it will definitely be at least nominated for game of the year. Also, did I tell you this game has over 50 perfect scores? And don't pay attention to the people who rate this bad, they either down own a PlayStation 3, they don't like an amazing story with stealth, or they only spend their like playing Call of Duty. I also recommend you play the other games of Naughty Dog or other PlayStation exclusives like Uncharted Trilogy, God of War Trilogy, Jak and Daxter Trilogy, Infamous 1 and 2, Crash Bandicoot Trilogy, Sly Cooper Games, Ratchet and Clank Games, LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2, Killzone Trilogy, Journey, Flower, FlOw and Heavy Rain. And if you like zombie or infected people games with good story, I recommend The Walking Dead by Telltale Games and Dead Island (both of them). Expand
  37. Sep 6, 2013
    The rumors are true. This game really is as great as everyone is saying it is! The game has amazing characters, an amazing setting, an amazing story only rivaled by that of Half life games and Bioshock games and a great crafting system where you decide what materials to pick up and what you should use them on. The combat may take time to get used to but its well worth it and the graphicsThe rumors are true. This game really is as great as everyone is saying it is! The game has amazing characters, an amazing setting, an amazing story only rivaled by that of Half life games and Bioshock games and a great crafting system where you decide what materials to pick up and what you should use them on. The combat may take time to get used to but its well worth it and the graphics push the limits of the PlayStation 3! Is it an amazing game? perhaps a masterpiece? yes! Expand
  38. Jul 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game was very good and nicely story driven. As an escort mission it did not feel like you were being held back apart from the fact that Ellie could not swim, but that was not a big issue and it added to the story and gameplay.
    I do feel like the combat was repetitive sometimes and dragged on a bit. One of the major downsides that annoyed me way to much was that a lot of the combat sections towards the end ended up with me constantly dying and start from the beginning of that section again. This could of been the fact that I may be a bad player and I played on "Normal" difficulty, but I don't think that is exactly the case.
    The story was amazing and could not have been done better (apart from the ending which left me slightly agitated). The whole concept and the way it was executed by the whole team who worked on this game at Naughty Dog was fantastic.

Due to specific combat mechanics that aren't under my favour I won't give this a 10/10 but apart from that, this game was amazing and is a must-have.
  39. Jul 31, 2013
    The Last of Us surely is worth your money. It boasts a gripping story, fantastic graphics, intense gameplay and of course the best part is definitely the characters and the voice-acting. My only gripe is the ending, I have very mixed emotions about it and without giving anything away, it just felt abrupt and I'm not sure I can fully like it as much as the rest of the story but overall theThe Last of Us surely is worth your money. It boasts a gripping story, fantastic graphics, intense gameplay and of course the best part is definitely the characters and the voice-acting. My only gripe is the ending, I have very mixed emotions about it and without giving anything away, it just felt abrupt and I'm not sure I can fully like it as much as the rest of the story but overall the story is top notch. It beats out most Hollywood blockbusters in terms of quality. The highlight is definitely the relationship between Joel and Ellie.

The gameplay is fairly simple. There's shooting, there's looting and there's crafting. The crafting is very addictive and thanks to the new game plus, I'm able to craft stuff that I didn't in my first run.

It does have its glitches from time to time like for example, there was a part in the game where I was sneaking up on this soldier and all of a sudden Ellie ran in front of him but the soldier didn't notice her....or even saw her for that matter and keep in mind that Ellie was running around in front of him.

Overall, the game is one of the best out there and one that I didn't mind paying full price for. It's a must buy. Hope this review helped
  40. Aug 15, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best game I have ever played.This is a great game and if you own a PlayStation you should buy it and play:) this game has a great storyline great music everything great. this game one of my favorite game ever:):):)
  41. Jun 30, 2014
    There isn't much that hasn't been said about this masterpiece of gaming. Everyone knows it represents a landmark in graphic design for future video games, as well as how impressively tight the story, dialogues and characters are written apart from the intuitive gameplay. All I can say is that if you have a PS3 or a PS4 (when the remastered version comes out) and you don't have this game,There isn't much that hasn't been said about this masterpiece of gaming. Everyone knows it represents a landmark in graphic design for future video games, as well as how impressively tight the story, dialogues and characters are written apart from the intuitive gameplay. All I can say is that if you have a PS3 or a PS4 (when the remastered version comes out) and you don't have this game, what the hell are you waiting for? Expand
  42. Aug 5, 2013
    This game not only offers a fantastic audio-visual presentation, it also takes game play to a new level. While being extremely brutal, violence is a part of the "reality" Joel and Ellie live in.
    The game play is smooth but also very intense. Not being a "horror" fan, the suspense was sometimes almost to much for me. But Last of Us also delivers a great (and in some aspects in the context of male-focused games even women-empowering) story. You will almost certainly connect emotionally to the characters.
    I played the game together with my brother, exchanging the controller regularly. I still was never bored.
    A epic milestone in game development!

Whats missing for 10points? A bit more AI for the emenies and sometimes our sidekicks.
  43. Aug 5, 2013
    I first bought his game two days ago and I think it's really good. However, the only things that ticked me off a little bit were the graphics and the really low amount of ammo per gun. Nonetheless, I do kinda think the low ammunitin "issue"(in my opinion)is actually a good feature of the game, cause it motivates you to be really precise about your shots, which makes you seem like aI first bought his game two days ago and I think it's really good. However, the only things that ticked me off a little bit were the graphics and the really low amount of ammo per gun. Nonetheless, I do kinda think the low ammunitin "issue"(in my opinion)is actually a good feature of the game, cause it motivates you to be really precise about your shots, which makes you seem like a hardcore killer. Another thing, Ellie is now becoming my favorite character in the game, because she has awesome killing skills which makes me remind her of Hit-Girl from Kick-Ass also, I do feel a little funny saying this, but I'm getting kinda attracted to Ellie lol. Overall it's an awesome game! :D Expand
  44. Apr 8, 2014
    Un videojuego fascinte y adicitivo que te atrapara en el primer minuto, una narracion extraordinaria, graficos apabullantes, personajes increibles y carismaticos, todo eso junto con una duracion de unas 12 o 17 horas por lo menos. Es maravilloso como este juego al jugarlo sientas que de verdad estas en un escenario apocaliptico. Sin duda y siendo sincero fue el mejor juego del 2013.
  45. Oct 19, 2013
    There is only one word to describe The Last of Us, flawless. When it comes to graphics, this game is arguably the best ever. There were countless moments when I would stop and look at everything around me in awe. The combat was perfect for the game and the way the game smoothly interacted with the environment was impeccable. The story and it's characters were excellent but were they reallyThere is only one word to describe The Last of Us, flawless. When it comes to graphics, this game is arguably the best ever. There were countless moments when I would stop and look at everything around me in awe. The combat was perfect for the game and the way the game smoothly interacted with the environment was impeccable. The story and it's characters were excellent but were they really excelled was the relationships and the way they were developed. The story always had you on your toes and you were always scared for lives of the characters. The game did a swell job at always mixing it up. Constantly changing the weather and the environment gave the game a feeling of unpredictability and always stayed fresh. After the long journey of emotional tear, it leaves you with satisfying ending. Expand
  46. Aug 8, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. There is something in The Last of Us that calls everyone´s attention, and that called my own attention when I started playing as Sarah. The immersion level on this game is incredible. The animations on playable characters such as Joel or Ellie, the amazing graphics (for a console); this is perhaps the best-looking game I have ever played on a console, and I can´t wait for Naughty Dog´s release on the PS4. Voice acting is gorgeous and the game´s plot is just genius, mixing a post-apocalyptic setting with the super complex relation between Joel and Ellie. The protagonists´ character development is one of the best I have ever seen, and the ending is one of the most unexpected ones I have ever experienced in a game.
    However, this game fails in being an actual GAME. Fight sequences are amazing the first couple of times. My first personal encounter with clickers was tremendously difficult to overcome and I had to replay it over and over again. But when you get used to the fighting gameplay and you familiarize with the not-so-good enemy AI, gameplay starts getting kind of repetitive. In my opinion, gameplay is one of the most important parts of a game.
    Another problem I found was that enemy skins kept repeating themselves over and over again! I think I killed the same bandit like fifty times!! I couldn´t believe that a game where each room you enter tells you a story without saying a single word, didn´t have a wider variety of skins!!
    I played the game just once, as I believe that replaying this game would ruin the amazing memory I have of the first gameplay. I played it in normal difficulty, knowing some people that had to change the difficulty to easy because it was too much for them. I couldn´t believe they had to do that!! Reaching the final chapters I was literally able to predict every single movement a clicker or a human would make. The game became so much easier... One of the things I love to see in games is a consistent challenge, never letting you master the game, as difficulty keeps increasing more and more. This was nonexistent in The Last of Us. Perhaps in a few months, after I have lent the game to all my friends, I will replay it on the hard difficulty.
    Level design was excellent, plot was excellent, character and enemy design were GORGEOUS although repetitive, difficulty *meh...*, voice acting was incredible, gameplay was repetitive, top notch, high-quality violence everywhere (loved it). I think this game was a little bit overrated. It won´t ever be the "BEST GAME EVER", but it will surely remain in the heart and memory of anyone who plays it. Thus, my score.
  47. Aug 19, 2013
    Just finished playing the game. Apart from the emotional storyline and amazing graphics, the game have awesome Gameplay. Weapon crafting is one of the most interesting things about this game. Awesome combat with option to kill enemies with guns or silently. There are two points to be noticed if you want to enjoy this game at extreme level. One is you have to play the game in normal mode orJust finished playing the game. Apart from the emotional storyline and amazing graphics, the game have awesome Gameplay. Weapon crafting is one of the most interesting things about this game. Awesome combat with option to kill enemies with guns or silently. There are two points to be noticed if you want to enjoy this game at extreme level. One is you have to play the game in normal mode or higher. Second: dont read the story just play and it will keep on giving you surprises. Expand
  48. Aug 14, 2013
    This game is amazing very fun and has a very realistic story (it is believable) I had no glitches when played but I heard cases of glitches but that's because of the ps3. It is worth 60 bucks this game personally Is the best game I have ever played (note if you play this game it may leave a large impact on you emotionally if you have a heart) I give it a 10/10 for its meaningful game thatThis game is amazing very fun and has a very realistic story (it is believable) I had no glitches when played but I heard cases of glitches but that's because of the ps3. It is worth 60 bucks this game personally Is the best game I have ever played (note if you play this game it may leave a large impact on you emotionally if you have a heart) I give it a 10/10 for its meaningful game that is a beautiful masterpiece and I consider it art and it's story is better than all the movies I have ever watched in my opinion. 10/10 if you don't have this game shame on you. Get out of your box and get the game!!!!!! Expand
  49. Aug 15, 2013
    This is a really funny game, you will pass hours in front of the ps3 without notice it. You really have to try this. Brilliant history, the atmosphere is unique and the gameplay is really fun. If you want to pass a really nice time try this one, you won't regreat it.
  50. Aug 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is good, extremely good but a little overrated. The gameplay is a little stiff (we're coming for a borderline superhero called Nathan Drake & now we are with old man Joel) & well the ending is controversial. The game also lack spectacular moments (replaced by a ton of sad moments).

Aside from this, we got the best overall acting performance in a video game & an excellent design
  51. Aug 25, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. No, it isn't the best game I have ever played. That would be a very bold statement. But I do absolutely love the game. It is definitely one of the most engaging stories I have ever seen in a video game behind Metal Gear Solid. The Last of Us knows how to keep fans interested, and with the cliffhanger at the end I cannot wait to see what they have in store in the sequel. The gameplay is very fluent and smooth. If you love horrors with an emotionally-driven storyline, this could be the only game with those elements you'll find out there, unless I'm missing something.

Great game.
  52. Aug 26, 2013
    The last of us is a strong game for game of the year. you are joel a middle aged smuggler who is given the task is to deliver a girl named ellie to a group called the fireflies. this is the best zombie/ survival horror game since Resident evil 4. You really get to know and love joel and ellie+stunning graphics and great intense gameplay+getting to play as both joel and ellie and to get toThe last of us is a strong game for game of the year. you are joel a middle aged smuggler who is given the task is to deliver a girl named ellie to a group called the fireflies. this is the best zombie/ survival horror game since Resident evil 4. You really get to know and love joel and ellie+stunning graphics and great intense gameplay+getting to play as both joel and ellie and to get to know ellie and joels back stories. amazing game Expand
  53. Nov 21, 2013
    The Last of Us was simply perfect for me. It convinces in every aspect: an incredibly touching story, awesome characters, a fun and challenging gameplay as well as really good graphics and (voice-)acting. I enjoyed it from the first to the last cutscene and could replay it again and again. In my eyes, it is a new milestone for the gaming industry and every upcoming adventure game will beThe Last of Us was simply perfect for me. It convinces in every aspect: an incredibly touching story, awesome characters, a fun and challenging gameplay as well as really good graphics and (voice-)acting. I enjoyed it from the first to the last cutscene and could replay it again and again. In my eyes, it is a new milestone for the gaming industry and every upcoming adventure game will be compared to TLoU. Expand
  54. Aug 28, 2013
    My only gripes with this game are that it froze/glitched on me a few times and there aren't many trophies. It's basically Uncharted with a zombie premise and an upgrade system. It places a big emphasis on finding resources, which I thought might get boring, but it didn't. The characters are some of the best I've ever seen in a PS3 game. Lots of fun and the few trophies it does have makeMy only gripes with this game are that it froze/glitched on me a few times and there aren't many trophies. It's basically Uncharted with a zombie premise and an upgrade system. It places a big emphasis on finding resources, which I thought might get boring, but it didn't. The characters are some of the best I've ever seen in a PS3 game. Lots of fun and the few trophies it does have make you want to replay it. Expand
  55. Aug 28, 2013
    Naughty Dog has their sh*t together. I wish more developers could produce this kind of quality on PS3. The Uncharted series is a favorite of mine... now add zombies! Who doesn't love zombies!? The story and cinematic work is so well done, you care about the characters and you have to really weigh you upgrades. There are a few dull moments... and a few places where you wish there wereNaughty Dog has their sh*t together. I wish more developers could produce this kind of quality on PS3. The Uncharted series is a favorite of mine... now add zombies! Who doesn't love zombies!? The story and cinematic work is so well done, you care about the characters and you have to really weigh you upgrades. There are a few dull moments... and a few places where you wish there were 20 clickers around you... but it is awesome. If you're a fan of Uncharted, zombies, 3rd person shooters, survival horror, life... get this game. Expand
  56. Dec 17, 2013
    This game is absolutely incredible. Naughty Dog's artistic talent has reached it's peak with this title. The graphics are stunning, with so much detail it's visual overload with very minimal, if any, pop-in objects and textures. The acting is phenomenal, voice and motion captured. The one thing that I'm amazed by this game is with the immense level design and graphical detail is thatThis game is absolutely incredible. Naughty Dog's artistic talent has reached it's peak with this title. The graphics are stunning, with so much detail it's visual overload with very minimal, if any, pop-in objects and textures. The acting is phenomenal, voice and motion captured. The one thing that I'm amazed by this game is with the immense level design and graphical detail is that there are no obvious load times, at all. This game does not stop, literally there is no pausing to prepare for a fight. If you stop to craft health supplies or new weapons it's all during the game, which adds to the intensity and I like that. Couldn't recommend enough. Expand
  57. Aug 31, 2013
    Now here is one hell of a game. The gameplay is average, nothing too ingeniously new here. This game is more on the side of a story based game, or a game that is like playing a movie. I do enjoy a good story based game and let me tell you this is one of the best. The character development is phenomenal from start to finish. Voice acting is top notch and there is a sense of fear in the gameNow here is one hell of a game. The gameplay is average, nothing too ingeniously new here. This game is more on the side of a story based game, or a game that is like playing a movie. I do enjoy a good story based game and let me tell you this is one of the best. The character development is phenomenal from start to finish. Voice acting is top notch and there is a sense of fear in the game that I haven't witnessed since early silent hill games.

It truly is a shame that this game is only for PS3, I personally had to borrow a friends PS3 and I bought the game for it based on the reviews, which it sure did live up to. A lot of people don't like games like this, however I found it perfectly suited to me, I wish there were more games of this caliber.

I highly recommend this for someone who wants to get away from the mundane run around shooting call of duty type game.
  58. Sep 1, 2013
    A thrilling and unforgetable game. Both main characters are like people you know in real life and you care about them. Everyone should try this 'experience' since it is so much more than a mere video game.
  59. Sep 6, 2013
    The apocalypse is coming.. If I don't give a perfect score to a game now I may never have another chance

This could have been easily a successful TV series or a new popular book's franchise. I wonder what was the author intention when he/she wrote the story for the fist time. I'm just glad it was presented to me in the form of a video game When it comes to story telling, The Last of

When it comes to story telling, The Last of Us represents a huge leap in what we are used to see in Video Games, only comparable to some other amazing games like Bioshock 1, Metal Gear Solid 4, Resident Evil 2 and the "bitter sweet" Mass Effect saga

Even in comparison with other great existing and soon to be released games The Last of Us will always occupy a special place in my memories

The only complain I have is more of a personal issue and not a problem with the game itself; I really don't like having to unlock new difficulties on video games.

When I recognize a game is good, I want to play it in the highest difficulty from the get go. This is how I make sure I don't beat it in a short period of time. This was not a serious issue with The Last of Us, even when they don't let you unleash the Survivor mode on your first run; you can be damn sure your money was well spent on each of the 12-16 hours of gameplay this game packs for you

The legend says Sony saved Naughty Dog from bankruptcy when they decided to release the PS1 and make them their main developer back in the Crash Bandicoot era. If true, this is probably one of the biggest calls from Sony as a gaming company.

Naughty Dog is currently one of the best developers in the market and its one of the main reasons why I will continue on the Playstation family, can't wait to play their new games!
  60. Sep 7, 2013
    This is an amazing game, If you could imagine a realistic post apocaliptic near future game where society as we know it is gone, and whatever happened is not farfetched like most recent zombie movies and games (you wont see any zombified weird boss creatures here). This game has a very "The Walking dead" meets "I am Legend" meets "Mad Max" (or "The Book of Eli") feel to it.

The world as

The world as we know is gone and life continues to some degree; some places are "safe" but the outside world is full of danger, be it Infected Zombie like Humans o just plain Scavangers who kill other humans to stay alive.

I haven't been this amazed by the how real everything in this game since GameCube's remake of Resident Evil, I know there nothing to compare from one to the other aside from biological zombies, and there have been many amazing games in between, but I remember how much I was amazed by RE when it came out for game cube, but The Last of Us gave me exactly the same feeling (only about 10 years later)

The game is quite realistic, it's hard to kill enemies specially with guns (unlike most games where enemies stand and wait to be killed), most character movements and story plots are very believable to the point where you could see that happening in real life in that particular scenario.

My only complaint with this game if you can call it that is that it's not longer (and believe me, it's long enough) but by the end I wanted to keep playing, I wanted to know what happens next. I hope a sequel is done some time in the near future to give us more adventures with Joel and Ellie.

Pick this game up for sure. I'm a life long gamer and this has got to be one of my favorite games, I completely recomend it.
  61. Sep 14, 2013
    Review
    Review
    A masterpiece, a testament to Naughty Dog's ability to convey a fluid, cohesive and believable world that immerses you completely. While the gameplay has a few minor issues such as irrational AI patterns and sometimes intuitive cover systems, they never detract to the overall experience that is delivered. The Last of Us will allow you to embark on a journey, Ellie and Joel's journey, both the characters are delivered with surgical precision to the point that you become completely invested in the story and gameplay creating a whirlwind of higher emotions such as fear, despair, regret, guilt and infatuation. The gameplay is strategic through the element of stealth and strategy as well as adapting dynamic AI that react to your behavioral patterns and actually surprise, flank and catch you off guard, countering and forcing you to adapt, something few games are capable of.

Summary
    I would give the game a 9.8 with the few unpolished bugs holding it back from perfection, if the game seems like your style go for it. You will not be able to put this game down from the start and will be disappointed when it ends, leaving you craving more of the stark and desolate world.
  62. Sep 17, 2013
    This game is amazing. It provides an unrivalled story experience which other developers will be hard pressed to match. It's story is leaps and bounds better than anything you have seen this generation or even the generation before it. The game play and story go hand in hand providing this deep and dark experience which definitely sets the mood for this game, it shows the dark truth ofThis game is amazing. It provides an unrivalled story experience which other developers will be hard pressed to match. It's story is leaps and bounds better than anything you have seen this generation or even the generation before it. The game play and story go hand in hand providing this deep and dark experience which definitely sets the mood for this game, it shows the dark truth of what people are really like through amazing character development throughout this experience. If you miss out on playing this game then you are denying yourself one of the games of this generation and maybe even one of the great games of all time. Expand
  63. Sep 23, 2013
    awesome game i think that everyone should buy it it is probably the best game ever made and in my opinion should be awarded game of the year go buy buy it
  64. Sep 22, 2013
    Absolutely brilliant, Naughty Dog have cemented their reputation as one of the industry greats with yet another fantastic game. The Last Of Us is beautiful, lengthy, emotional and unforgettable. The characters are so well crafted and the gameplay so tense, harsh and violent. If you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself to pick this game up because it will be right on GTA V's heels for GOTYAbsolutely brilliant, Naughty Dog have cemented their reputation as one of the industry greats with yet another fantastic game. The Last Of Us is beautiful, lengthy, emotional and unforgettable. The characters are so well crafted and the gameplay so tense, harsh and violent. If you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself to pick this game up because it will be right on GTA V's heels for GOTY awards for sure. Expand
  65. Sep 22, 2013
    It has become one of my favourite games and I would love to write more about it, but I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll make it short: This game is a masterpiece and I loved absolutely everything about it.
  66. Sep 23, 2013
    This game is great. Combining survival elements with action adventure was a good pick for naughty dog. The graphics are fantastic and probablly the best looking game on PS3. First the characters are all very interesting and the acting is spot on. Gameplay is pretty good also. The story wasn't anything special but the characters make it so unique. And this game brings out the darkness inThis game is great. Combining survival elements with action adventure was a good pick for naughty dog. The graphics are fantastic and probablly the best looking game on PS3. First the characters are all very interesting and the acting is spot on. Gameplay is pretty good also. The story wasn't anything special but the characters make it so unique. And this game brings out the darkness in humanity. In this game their is no good guy. Joel is just like the hunters, he kills for a living. And this game has one of the most controversial endings to a game ever. The multiplayer is very good forcing you to use teamwork and your crafting items to defeat the enemy. In short this game is a masterpiece Expand
  67. Sep 24, 2013
    Esse jogo fantástico, dou um 10 muito merecido. tudo feito em mínimos detalhes. compra obrigatória pra quem tem PS3.
    A inteligencia artificial foda principalmente da Ellie as vezes vemos inimigos sendo meio burros mas nada que comprometa.
    O gráfico o melhor que já vi nos consoles, o o ponto mais forte do game sua historia "fodástica" onde da empolgação emoção raiva e etc. o segundo melhor jogo da minha vida o primeiro shadow of the colossus.
  68. Sep 24, 2013
    This game is incredible. Everything about The Last Of Us" video game is so well done that it scares me. If you have to pick a game to buy I strongly recommend The Last Of Us
  69. Sep 28, 2013
    Este es sin dudas mi juego favorito hasta la fecha: "The Last of Us" es arte en su más pura forma, con una campaña totalmente completa y extensa y con el modo cinematográfico que tiene Naughty Dog de contar una bella historia dramática. Pero "The Last of Us" no es solo eso: verás que no queda nada del mundo que conocemos, será todo simplemente oscuro y te la apañas para sobrevivir en unEste es sin dudas mi juego favorito hasta la fecha: "The Last of Us" es arte en su más pura forma, con una campaña totalmente completa y extensa y con el modo cinematográfico que tiene Naughty Dog de contar una bella historia dramática. Pero "The Last of Us" no es solo eso: verás que no queda nada del mundo que conocemos, será todo simplemente oscuro y te la apañas para sobrevivir en un mundo que ya no existe. Gráficos excelentes, personajes sólidos y una emocionante historia ¿Que mas pedir? Este juego tiene emociones a más no poder. Totalmente bueno y recomendable. Expand
  70. Nov 11, 2013
    This game is full of cliches, but even so the campaign is the best story that I've played, I'm a big fan of the online gaming, but the first time that I played the campaign of this game I get very impressed I've completed this campaign 4 times, I think that this game is better than GTA V, I'm not a fanboy, I know that GTA V has a lot of things to do, but GTA gets boring when you've playedThis game is full of cliches, but even so the campaign is the best story that I've played, I'm a big fan of the online gaming, but the first time that I played the campaign of this game I get very impressed I've completed this campaign 4 times, I think that this game is better than GTA V, I'm not a fanboy, I know that GTA V has a lot of things to do, but GTA gets boring when you've played for a month. The multiplayer is different, it's not a COD o an Uncharted, the maltiplayer was the thing that I fell in love. Expand
  71. Jan 6, 2014
    The last of us is a masterpiece and an fine example of how games can have an outstanding story, incredible gameplay, unbelievable graphics and some of the most tense combat ive ever played, to be honest its hard to find faults and yes the friendly AI can be a pain in the ass and break the immersion but Naughty Dog did that on purpose so if you want to go stealth your teammate wont give youThe last of us is a masterpiece and an fine example of how games can have an outstanding story, incredible gameplay, unbelievable graphics and some of the most tense combat ive ever played, to be honest its hard to find faults and yes the friendly AI can be a pain in the ass and break the immersion but Naughty Dog did that on purpose so if you want to go stealth your teammate wont give you away which is alot better than allowing your teammates to be spotted so that is actually a positive, and the enemy AI really makes up for as they are very clever and will really test your strategic mind. Overall the last of us is quite simply a masterpiece and while ive said this about many other games ive reviewed i only review games on this site that i think are masterpieces so im not just giving every game a 10/10 and calling it a masterpiece, but this game really is so my score: 10/10 Expand
  72. Oct 5, 2013
    Um dos melhores games da historia. Pena que os fanboys que não possuem esse jogo vem cá, dão negativo e comentam um monte de merda, chupa quem não tem e...vão se foderem.
  73. Oct 6, 2013
    in short..best game I played this year..i would give it an 9.5..it's not PERFECT...but story really got me..it deserve a 10.The last of us is in my top 3 games of all time and my 2013 GAME OF THE YEAR..and everyone should play this game..xbox&Pc players..shame that is not a multiplatform..to everybody see how amazing this game is
  74. Jul 29, 2014
    I've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game forI've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game for you.

However, those of you who enjoy imaginative immersion in a well-crafted storyline, realistic/believable characters, beautiful artwork and game design, exploration, and solid game play, look no further. The environments are mesmerizing, the character movement is gorgeous, the dialogue and voice acting is superb, the mix of stealth/scavenging/shooting within the twists and turns of the games story is as excellent as video games come.

The game basically plays as a 3rd person shooter (think Resident Evil 4+5) with stealth elements (think Splinter Cell) and crafting (again, think Resident Evil 4+5). Additionally, as you traverse the lengths of the storyline, you will find yourself in a myriad of settings ranging from (but not limited to) the outskirts of the city refuge to a deserted town and all the way to the wilderness, university campus, and sewers. Each new area and chapter in the game flows along the tide of TLoU's amazingly executed storyline - and the characters you play as become increasingly unique, realistic, and dear to your heart. I cannot tell you how astounded I was throughout my first play through. I can honestly say that the enjoyment of this game remained throughout the second play through as well.

*I believe my total play through time for the game was roughly around 18 hours or so. I suppose it would depend on how quickly you are attempting to finish - my style included quite a bit of exploration and a steady pace throughout to soak up the beauty of the game.

Definitely within the top 5 best games I have ever experienced. Well worth the price of a ps3 for this game alone. I would highly recommend for post-apocalyptic enthusiasts.
  75. Apr 11, 2016
    O jogo incrível acredito que a partir de agora veremos mais jogos com a mesma alma de The Last of Us, não dei 10 porque os personagens secundários durante o jogo não alteram o comportamento dos inimigos.
  76. Oct 11, 2013
    This game is mind-blowing on all possible points. Many times games have to sacrifice some gameplay to focus on storytelling, or vice-versa, but this game incorporates equal parts to give you a stellar immersive experience that makes the gamer feel like a part of the story in every way. Along with those excellent facets is also the graphics; for the current console generation, this game isThis game is mind-blowing on all possible points. Many times games have to sacrifice some gameplay to focus on storytelling, or vice-versa, but this game incorporates equal parts to give you a stellar immersive experience that makes the gamer feel like a part of the story in every way. Along with those excellent facets is also the graphics; for the current console generation, this game is incredibly well-made and above all, simply beautiful to play. Expand
  77. Oct 11, 2013
    The fact that anyone writes a negative review of the game, makes me believe Humanity has no hope, haha. This game is a masterful creation, the story captivates you and the game play is fun enough, very Uncharted like, still the story itself is worth the price. The graphics and voice over are flawless. This is the swan song of the PS3 and it is a great one.
  78. Oct 11, 2013
    This game just blew me away a 10 out of 10 for sure. This story line is one of the best ever naughty dog already proved they can make great games like the Uncharted Series, The Last Of Us is truly amazing no developer can make a game this good. The story line is fantastic it attracts you into the game making you watch every single detail carefully, the game is also depressing gets me evenThis game just blew me away a 10 out of 10 for sure. This story line is one of the best ever naughty dog already proved they can make great games like the Uncharted Series, The Last Of Us is truly amazing no developer can make a game this good. The story line is fantastic it attracts you into the game making you watch every single detail carefully, the game is also depressing gets me even more into the game. This game wow they made one of the greatest games in history to me this deserves to get game year Expand
  79. Ogr
    Oct 13, 2013
    This is one of the Games that made me dreaming of it many nights. The characters of Joel and Ellie are way more interesting to me than a lot of characters from comparable "Hollywood-Movies" and Series.
    The atmosphere is just great, the story is deep and the graphics are on top of the PS3-Games.
    The gameplay itself is as good as the Uncharted-Series for example, but this game is more about the whole feeling you get. 10/10!
  80. Oct 12, 2013
    The Last Of us is without a doubt one of the most compelling, enjoyable and emotional games I've ever played. It evokes so many emotions and once a shaky start after the prologue is over it only gets better and better. I rely felt like I was going through the pain and sometimes joy that the characters were experiencing and when a game can do that you know its doing something right. It isThe Last Of us is without a doubt one of the most compelling, enjoyable and emotional games I've ever played. It evokes so many emotions and once a shaky start after the prologue is over it only gets better and better. I rely felt like I was going through the pain and sometimes joy that the characters were experiencing and when a game can do that you know its doing something right. It is simply a marvel of storytelling and should not be overlooked. Its Naughty Dogs best work to date and I'm sure we've still got allot more to see from them. Expand
  81. Oct 13, 2013
    Simply The best game I played in PS3 Thank you Naughty Dog For This amazing Game I put in my mind its a film a story not a game At some times I was on the verge of tears Thanks again Naughty Dog and thanks Neil drakman and Bruce Starle for the best game i played in my life
  82. Oct 14, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is the most beautiful game ever invented, I love Naughty Dog, only this guys can do games like these. They have shown with Uncharted trilogy, and now with The Last Of Us, I think that nor GTA V can overcome it or anything game. only to another game from ND can be overcome it. I've said. Expand
  83. Oct 14, 2013
    this may just be the single greatest game of this generation maybe even ever, the story is great the game play is pretty much perfect and the story is one of the best, it puts the survival game back on the map after Resident Evil has moved away from the genre, the story is heart wrenching from the start and the bit where you play as Joel and Ellie separately was one of the highlights ofthis may just be the single greatest game of this generation maybe even ever, the story is great the game play is pretty much perfect and the story is one of the best, it puts the survival game back on the map after Resident Evil has moved away from the genre, the story is heart wrenching from the start and the bit where you play as Joel and Ellie separately was one of the highlights of the game practically everything thing in the game is flawless just once issue for me is how Ellie's AI doesn't always really work she can be 'hiding' where zombies or attackers can see her while you play as Joel and yet she doesn't get spotted or attacked and she will make noise, while you are sneaking around zombies and not get heard and this does take some of the tension away from the game but this is still possibly the best game to date Expand
  84. Nov 24, 2013
    The last of us is a solid title
    with an excelent and deep plot
    an uncredible athmosphere and a perfect gameplay
    its a mix of the walking dead,uncharted and the road
    AND ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
  85. Oct 19, 2013
    Truly a magnificent epic story telling. You are hooked on to it from start to finish. The characters are relatable, the story is simply beautiful. Cant get enough of this game.
  86. Oct 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best zombie movie you've ever played.

The Last of Us is the best zombie movie you've ever played.

First of all, the no-consequence-for-dying argument has been flogged to an inconsequential death in regards to this game, so I will say this: seeking consequence in a video game is barking up the wrong tree. Combat with realistic consequences driving survival would be something like a war rather than a game and it would likely have little entertainment value.

That said, I'm satisfied with calling TLoU an adventure game with survival as the central theme if it circumvents the tired old comparison of every survival-themed game with Dark Souls and Demon Souls. In fact, I'm happy to report that TLoU is nothing like either of those.

The Last of Us is a captivating and immersive experience that is worthy of the "masterpiece" praises that it has received. Fast-paced at times and a slow-burn at other times, it manages to keep attention and not become completely boring or stale. It has its tropes, but they aren't damaging to the overall experience.

Stealth is centered around being very quiet, as the zombies in this game are blind. It's a good idea and executed well for the most part, but it does make for some awkward moments with an AI partner. There are times when the AI will seem to stomp around at will without being noticed; meanwhile if you so much as break wind, the turbulence in your jeans will alert every zombie in the area of your delicious presence. It's not a mechanics issue or anything, it just looks like an odd contrast and it's one of the few things in the game that seems sloppy.

Character development is so strong that it's easy to become invested, but at the same time it doesn't feel forced you. In fact, you might not even notice until you find yourself blowing through half of your ammunition on a relatively harmless mob just because they got a little too rough with Not-Ellen-Page.

Multiplayer can be quite fun because it's quite a different approach, but at the same time multiplayer can be no fun at all because the differences fall apart. The focus is on collecting parts and supplies in order to sustain your clan of survivors and that doesn't necessarily correlate with kills alone. In fact, a support role is just as effective in collecting parts by crafting, healing, reviving, etc than those meant for a high kill count. However, you may often find that matches are overtaken by a haphazard run-and-gun approach that ruins the tactical slow-burn that it intends. This is being addressed with various combat balances but the MP still seems at risk for drastic dissolution of its population over time.

Multiplayer also seemed drastically under-realized on release as it featured only two game modes (neither of which involved surviving hordes of zombies). It has since revealed plans to expand the game modes through DLC and has already begun to do so. On one hand, more game modes are a welcomed addition but on the other hand they shouldn't turn the game into an 80 dollar version.

Overall, a great experience with nothing blatantly wrong with it. Multiplayer will be take-it-or-leave-it as usual, but single-player alone makes TLoU a great game.
  87. Oct 22, 2013
    The Last Of Us is not a game; it is art. I do not want to spoil anything about this simply astounding game. Close Metacritic, and buy The Last Of Us. Now. Or I will slap you silly.
  88. Oct 25, 2013
    Masterpiece
    For the umpteenth time Naughty Dog has surprised everyone by completely changing genre. Visually speaking The Last of Us is overflowing, so full of detail will leave you breathless in more than one occasion. The Last of Us is very sad and moving, a constant punch in the stomach when you least aspects.
    I really loved this game has given me so many emotions like few others.
  89. Oct 23, 2013
    This game is fascinating. i like everything about this game
    1- first game in which reality based infection is used
    2- START i awesome
    3- Each you play it u will have fun
    4- Real enjoyment is while playing SURVIVOR MODE
    5- I was fan of God of War but now of THE LAST OF US
  90. Oct 23, 2013
    My favorite game I have ever played. Game looks beautiful and the controls fit the game perfectly. This game has my second favorite story of any game I've played (behind Heavy Rain). The atmosphere and gameplay are fantastic, makes the player feel like they're in a movie. Decently challenging with good AI. That being said, Ellie can be kind of annoying when she gets in the way duringMy favorite game I have ever played. Game looks beautiful and the controls fit the game perfectly. This game has my second favorite story of any game I've played (behind Heavy Rain). The atmosphere and gameplay are fantastic, makes the player feel like they're in a movie. Decently challenging with good AI. That being said, Ellie can be kind of annoying when she gets in the way during stealth sequences, but other than that, this game is perfect.
    A must play if you have a ps3
  91. Oct 26, 2013
    So I've been a gamer for 25 years. Created a Metacritic account solely so that I could rate this game a 10. It's unquestionably one of the very best games ever made, and I've been pondering whether it's the best single player game I've ever played. To be honest, I've grown weary of single player games over the last 2+ decades. It's often a struggle to finish a single player gameSo I've been a gamer for 25 years. Created a Metacritic account solely so that I could rate this game a 10. It's unquestionably one of the very best games ever made, and I've been pondering whether it's the best single player game I've ever played. To be honest, I've grown weary of single player games over the last 2+ decades. It's often a struggle to finish a single player game because I lose interest. I fill my limited gaming hours in a week with a staple of Battlefield due to the fact that playing with other humans is usually more stimulating than the rehashed, trite and unimaginative content to be found in most single player games.

This game is one of those once in a decade gems, managing to pull together the epic scale and perfect pacing of Half-Life 2, the grandeur and wonder of The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, the irrepressible spirit of adventure of Uncharted 2/3 and the emotional hook in your gut of Ico into a game that continues to resonate with me long after the end credits stopped rolling. The artistry and subtlety involved with the characterization alone is thesis-worthy. It is a game that captivated, riveted and wholly entertained me as a gamer from the first minute to the last, sans flaw.

The Last of Us is a complete and special gaming experience and serves as a paradigm shift for storytelling in interactive media. Thank you, Naughty Dog.
  92. Feb 5, 2014
    The Last of Us is the gateway to a whole new era of storytelling and interactive experience. Naughtydog has managed to justify almost all of this game's gritty and intense mechanics through story-telling and the emotional impact of taking a life in order to survive. It doesn't hurt that the actors were all perfectly cast and portrayed. Honestly, much better than most of the movieThe Last of Us is the gateway to a whole new era of storytelling and interactive experience. Naughtydog has managed to justify almost all of this game's gritty and intense mechanics through story-telling and the emotional impact of taking a life in order to survive. It doesn't hurt that the actors were all perfectly cast and portrayed. Honestly, much better than most of the movie performances I have seen all year. The Last of Us excels beyond a game and into an experience. I really hope non-gamers can learn to appreciate the impact a perfectly executed game can have and how important it is as a new medium. The Naughtydog studio is visionary and will forever leave me craving more of their style: flawless and impact-full storytelling, some of the best actors and talent in the business, stunning and engrossing graphics, and emotions and thoughts that will last long after you play the game.

Oh yeah, and the multiplayer experience: Ridiculously amazing. Nothing is better than out-trapping and out-smarting your opponents. It is such a perfectly balanced experience (with the exception of the OP flamethrower) that you can easily pick it up and find immediate enjoyment. Playing in groups of four is an absolute blast and coordinating tactics with your friends to annihilate the opposing faction is beyond rewarding. It's good enough that Naughtydog gave us one of the most emotionally rewarding and mind-blowing single player campaigns available, but the fact that I can keep coming back to the multiplayer experience to nail-board bash my way to success is much appreciated.

An amazing game. The best game. They better be working on The Laster Of Us because I have never been so satisfied and yet craving of more. If anyone can successfully pull-off a sequel and continue improving a series it's Naughtydog. Considering they made as near of a perfect game as they could... it's interesting to see where they will go to continue to push the gaming industry.

If you have a PS3 and haven't bought this game: you have a serious problem.
    If you have an XBOX 360, you need to sell your system, buy a PS3, and buy this game.
  93. Oct 29, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is without a doubt the BEST game I have ever played!
    The gameplay, the graphics, the design, the sound and music, the top acting voice acting, and of course...the story. All of these things go together in the best way possible. I felt like I was experiencing a combination of a book, a film, and a game, all at the same time.
    The tempo is varying and dynamic and you get to experience booth intense action and explore the beautiful world in with the story takes place.

I recommend The Last of Us to anyone who has not yet played it!
  94. Oct 30, 2013
    I've played games for the last 30 years so I know there are only a few games that can be remembered 20 years after playing them. But I know The Last of Us will be one of them. I've never felt such a level of empathy towards the characters of a game, I never needed to keep the characters alive so much (maybe my closest empathetic experience was with Heavy Rain, but that experience was veryI've played games for the last 30 years so I know there are only a few games that can be remembered 20 years after playing them. But I know The Last of Us will be one of them. I've never felt such a level of empathy towards the characters of a game, I never needed to keep the characters alive so much (maybe my closest empathetic experience was with Heavy Rain, but that experience was very different). It is worth to mention that I don't like zombies-alike horror films and I usually get bored watching (most of) action films. I don't know why, but maybe it's because I know that the main character will live, so there is no real thrill. Is the hero caged in a locked room? meh, he will find out a way to escape, I'm not afraid. Is the bad guy aiming at the hero? Something weird will happen and he will stay alive, sure. But there is something very different in videogames: you can die, so you have a reason to be tense. Of course, videogames typically suffer from a problem which was pointed out by Steven Spielberg: "The second you get the controller something turns off in the heart, and it becomes a sport." Well, maybe it's true for most of games. For instance, I'm thinking about GTA V, which is a great game indeed, but it's just a "game" in the sense pointed out by Spielberg: characters are not really touching (they are funny, but not touching), so it's a kind of great "sports" game: driving, shooting, flying, etc. Oddly, some of my best moments in GTA V were when I was driving through this huge world, perhaps in the coast highway during the sunset, and I felt that I was in a kind of long journey. Isn't it weird? However, The Last of Us is very different. After 4-5 hours playing or so, you will really empathize with the characters so much until the end in a level not reached by most of Mr. Spielberg films in my own case, by the way (Ok, The Schindler List was something very different). The Last of Us characters are very well defined, and you will share their suffering for a long time until you love them. They are touching despite they rarely show openly their feelings, which is a symptom of a great performance. In addition, you will feel nervous in dangerous situations because you can die indeed. So you have the best combination of films and videogames: "the characters are touching" "you really feel that you can die" "you really feel you are there." The previous formula shows the rare achievement of this game. My conclusion is that this is a rare experience you will never forget. Expand
  95. Oct 31, 2013
    This is truly one of the best game of this generation!! I Ioved every minute of the game! Can't wait to see what Naughty Dog can do with the PS4. I hope Uncharted 4 is their next title!
  96. Oct 31, 2013
    Simple put, this is possibly the best game I have ever played, and I've played a lot of games over the years. Everything about this game is 10 out of 10.
  97. Nov 1, 2013
    Wow! Just wow!
    Naughty Dog actually found a very interesting and unique way of reinventing the zombie apocalypse. The story is one of those that takes ahold of you with mutated claws and never lets go. The voice acting is superb, the graphics are just amazing and the motivations for everything you do is logical and immersive.
    There are very few games that I would ever give a
    Wow! Just wow!

There are very few games that I would ever give a perfect 10 rating to but this is absolutely one of the best. Some critics have found it shocking and edgy to rip on this game because it is sooo popular but you would be wise to simply ignore them for the attention-seekers they are.

This game is EXACTLY what the game industry needs more of although I do wish that it had been available for more than just the PlayStation.
  98. Nov 1, 2013
    Firstly let me make one thing clear. There is absolutely NO reason that anyone should ever give this game a 0. That is reserved for incredibly broken or extremely offensive games that should never had been made. Anybody who did is obviously tampering with scores for a laugh. They may be trolling or simply hate the game but 0 is not a number for a game like the last of us*

It is rare

It is rare for me to find a game that moves me emotionally. Whether it be sadness or joy, this game has done it. Naughty dogs newest game is a pinnacle of storytelling, starting from a heart-breaking beginning to an ending that has been on my mind for weeks.
    Visually this game astounds me. The characters are so human and the environment, believable. The visuals enhance the fantastically violent nature of survival and at one time or another made me wince. This is not a negative factor however as it amazes me.

The storyline granted is slightly cliché but just because someone did it before, doesn't mean it cant be done again. Not only was it done again but it exceeded any predictability with strong emotional connection to the characters and feelings of utter hopelessness at times. The gameplay is incredibly fun as no two battles need to be the same. Some argue that the game is linear but I argue back by saying "its not linear, you just chose not to explore". You have choices of weapons to modify and make and in doing so might help you or hinder you in the future. You need to plan ahead to survive.

The soundtrack is beautiful and suits perfectly to the apocalyptic yet beautiful wasteland of America. The collapse of man of course caused by the cordyceps. basing a disease on a real life fungus adds to the believability that one day this could happen. The enemies in the game are split into hunters melee. gunners, Molotov throwers, armoured) and the infected. the infected change through grotesque stages, each more deadly than the last. they are creative and very fun to kill.
    The only problem I found in the game was made to counteract an even greater one. your allies are sometimes invisible to the enemy until you are exposed. This sometimes breaks immersion but was done so that the whole game doesn't become one whole escort mission which it definitely is not. Some people may say that the enemy A.I is braindead. Some people give this game a 0 for this one reason. Some people are stupid.

My verdict is that this game deserves all the praise it gets because it deserves it. It isn't overrated and certainly isn't bad. this game will be remembered for generation. This is for the Ps3 what Mario was for the NES. I will give this game a 10 although I don't believe any game is perfect. But until then very few games meet this standard.
  99. Nov 2, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This game is so much about story that it's impossible to write a full review without spoiling anything, so I'll write two reviews instead, one spoiler-free and one with spoilers.
    Here comes the spoiler-free one.

Story-wise this game blew my mind away, it blew it so far away that it landed in Wisconsin, witch is pretty far considering that I live in Sweden. Anyways I don't want to spoil anything important in this review so let's just talk about the basics of the story:
    You play as Joel. A hardened apocalipse-survivor and the way the character is showed in this game is what makes the game really good.
    Yes you play as Joel, but in my opinion the main protagonist if the game is Ellie: A fourteen year old girl that is immune to the fungal-zombie infection. And a group called the fireflies think that the thing that makes Ellie immune can save humankind from infection.

Gameplay in this game is very, very good, and the third person perspective just makes the game brilliant, 'cuz graphicly this game is something unique and with that I mean awesome. I love that this game is so extremely gory and this game is so good that it's actually the best game I've ever played. Well worth 10/10
  100. Nov 3, 2013
    There's not much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said, but for me it's one of the best I've ever played. At a basic level there are three facets that make up how to judge a game great from a bad one to me and they're not mutually exclusive; the gameplay, the story and the graphics (including the sound!). The Last of Us gets 10/10 for the latter two but it's only slightThere's not much I can say about this game that hasn't already been said, but for me it's one of the best I've ever played. At a basic level there are three facets that make up how to judge a game great from a bad one to me and they're not mutually exclusive; the gameplay, the story and the graphics (including the sound!). The Last of Us gets 10/10 for the latter two but it's only slight drawback was the gameplay. Only inasmuch as it did get a little repetitive. However, it was still a definitive 10/10 overall for me, largely because of the excellent story. It is something of a rarity that games inspire such immersion and relation to the characters. Like a good book it had me rushing home from work, desperate to find out what happens next. You could argue that the story arc is a little basic perhaps even predictable, but that doesn't hinder it. It is the pacing that makes it supreme. There's moments when you might feel that it's all going to be ok, or that you're safe, you're strong and have lots of supplies. Then the next you'll be struggling, grasping for control again. Furthermore, its the characters realism that really draws you in. In combination with those moments of complete panic and tranquillity you really get to know the characters. Aesthetically its excellent; immersive, detailed and at times quite beautiful.

Overall, as I said, it's one of (if not the) best game I've had the pleasure of playing. As a gamer I always think that the best test for any game would be would you recommend this game to someone who doesn't/hasn't played a video game before? The Last of Us would be THE game I would recommend to those people, would be a reason why games can and are comparable to the finest works of literature or other art.
  101. Mar 19, 2014
    I can only really say a few things about this game. and they are this: based on the mechanics, story, gameplay, characters, difficulty, enemies, and atmosphere, I'd have to say this is HANDS DOWN the best game I've ever played. from the amazing graphics, to the characters who make you feel like they're real people. the voice acting is amazing. the entire game is amazing, even at the partsI can only really say a few things about this game. and they are this: based on the mechanics, story, gameplay, characters, difficulty, enemies, and atmosphere, I'd have to say this is HANDS DOWN the best game I've ever played. from the amazing graphics, to the characters who make you feel like they're real people. the voice acting is amazing. the entire game is amazing, even at the parts that make you want to punch a hole in your tv. this is the only game I've ever played where i have not changed the disk a single time from beginning to end. i loved this game and think the only score that can actually describe how amazing this game is is a score of 100/10. The Last of Us is a game that I'd recommend for anyone who likes a violent, action packed game. Collapse

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]