• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jul 15, 2013
    There is rarely a PERFECT game. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Halo: CE, FF7. The Last of us is as close as it gets though, and I can sum up everything about this game in two words. Genius. It wraps you in it's story, the combat is smart yet doesn't get boring, and you actually care about the characters, because their dialogue is natural and doesn't get bogged down in heavy handed theming orThere is rarely a PERFECT game. Ocarina of Time, Mario 64, Halo: CE, FF7. The Last of us is as close as it gets though, and I can sum up everything about this game in two words. Genius. It wraps you in it's story, the combat is smart yet doesn't get boring, and you actually care about the characters, because their dialogue is natural and doesn't get bogged down in heavy handed theming or excessive exposition. Expand
  2. Jul 17, 2013
    After Uncharted 3, I expected much from The Last of Us.
    Many reviews mentioned a great atmosphere and emotional depths. I looked forward to it, but didn't expect much. Trying to deliver emotions often feels forced in a game.
    So I started the game and the first chapter of the game was simply impressive and quiet shocking. I instantly felt attached to the characters, supported by great
    After Uncharted 3, I expected much from The Last of Us.

I instantly felt attached to the characters, supported by great design choices and the realistic setting.
    Right away I knew this game does it right and has some really unsetting twists. You often feel alone.

The graphics are also amazing, I guess it takes the hardware to its limit. Especially in more open areas, the graphics surprised me several times. They still managed to improve graphic wise, I´d say it's even better than Uncharted 3. It really helps setting the mood. They already added some small but impressive graphical details to the Uncharted series before, which I can't remember seeing in a game before. In Uncharted 2, it were the effects when walking through the snow. In Uncharted 3, it was how the sand reacted to your steps. The Last of Us combined those graphical achievements and also added some which make the places look very realistic, with e.g. snow falling from trees.
    The sound design is also great here, some of the enemies sound really disturbing.

The dialogue is also great and feels natural. Ellie seemed sometimes too optimistic to me, whistling during creepy situations which made me jump and cuss at her sometimes. The often criticized ladder and panel gameplay is commented by the characters in a funny way later. I wonder why Naughty Dog always adds those "give me a lift" moments in their games hidden loading times? Building a relationship between the characters? It must have a meaning...

Regarding the Multiplayer, I can't say much about it because everyone has to decide whether to like it or not. I personally like it. It's always 4 on 4 with 2 different match types. In one match type, the team which loses 20 lifes first also loses the game. I recommend using this mode for missions which take longer to complete. In the other match type, which I prefer, each team whipes each other out ones one team is down, the next round begins and everyone re-spawns at the starting point. Regarding the missions: You play 12 ingame weeks before you can change your fraction again and start from the beginning. Each round is one day. You gather points and your camp population grows, which leads to you having to gather more points. If you don't get enough points in a round, your people get hungry or sick and eventually die when you keep failing getting enough points. Inbetween, there are events where you have 3 days to e.g. prevent a certain percentage of your people getting killed. You manage that by choosing a "challenge" e.g. shooting a certain amount of enemies from a long distance, healing a certain amount of teammates etc. You can choose a mission you´ve chosen before as often as you want, but it gets harder to succeed with each time. I found this pretty addictive and exciting, especially when you´re about to lose 100% of your population and try to prevent it.

While bugs are mentioned online, I´ve never seen one. Ever.

Here are the flaws I´ve experienced while playing. To me, they were minor:

1. It wasn't a flaw to me but should be mentioned. This is not an open world game! Sometimes it gets quiet open, with parts of towns which can be explored, with many houses to go inside but it's not GTAish. Uncharted fans expected that I guess, but those who didn't play Uncharted might be disappointed.

2. Some players might be annoyed that characters keep talking if you get away from them or turn your back on them, which will cause their voice to get quieter. This makes sense, but sometimes it gets TOO quite. Don't walk away during a longer dialogue, you might miss something.

3. On week 10 in multiplayer, I accidently joined a match seconds before it ended. For that reason, I couldn't get any points and my population of 70 survivors got ill and sick. All of them. That was really frustrating that late in the game. Also, I met a really douchy team which only walked in a group, killing everyone with wooden planks for 2 rounds, which almost killed my population (those moments are terrifying), and there are players tending to leave a match when the team is about to lose (especially annoying if the game can be turned around). 3 vs 4 is very hard to win.

Well, this is another masterpiece by Naughty Dog. I´m barely affected by games nowadays, but this one was able to surprise and impress me. Thankfully, many cliché plot parts I expected didn't happen.
  3. Jul 16, 2013
    I'm going to start with this. If you own a PS3, your not getting your money's worth out of buying one if you don't buy The Last of Us. If you don't own a PS3, buy one just for this game. It's that good.

Good: - Story: Twists and turns, an unexpected plot point and an ending you will never see coming. - Survival: The fact resources are limited, as is ammo is great. It really makes you

Good:
    - Survival: The fact resources are limited, as is ammo is great. It really makes you think about if you should craft, say, a med kit or a molotov. Survivor mode definitely has a challenge to be found.
    - Multiplayer: Surprisingly, very good! Unique and will definitely keep you occupied.

Bad:
    - Everyone but Joel somehow has the ability to Usain Bolt past a clicker without making a noise, whereas you can't even move at maximum crouching speed next to one with out it killing you.

Verdict: 10/10. The complaints I had are minor, and nothing compared to how much I enjoyed the game.
  4. Jul 18, 2013
    Very nice, polished game, but to sum up what I didn't like for that high price tag:

I already lowered my expectations a bit since I got a bit bored in Uncharted 3 but in terms of linearity and game play I got slightly bored again, i.e. not really stimulated by the game's mechanics. Unfortunately I could also predict most of the story plot (maybe because it follows some Hollywood

Unfortunately I could also predict most of the story plot (maybe because it follows some Hollywood rules and already known plots/surprises from other movies/games) and I only got surprised in one in-game situation which is quite bad. Maybe that's good story-telling style, but I prefer to be surprised both in plot and more importantly during game play.

I went a bit into sleep mode while playing the game and I only "woke up" to hear the scripted dialogues and cutscenes. That's mainly because stealth and shootouts are still quite basic. Stealth is not really comparable to Hitman, Thief, or Dishonored (plus they are "cheating" a bit with instantly lethal enemies) and shooting felt a bit simpler than Uncharted (slightly unpolished sniping, mostly uninteresting enemy tactics sometimes pretty weird when watching them in listen mode). Basically you solve each situation once and you know how to solve the game. There's no real "easy to learn, hard to master" or learning curve experience.

In a few situations I had enemies that didn't react to me at all and I got on of the sidekicks to get stuck twice (had to reload the game to solve one of the overly simple puzzles).
    So most of the time what kept me going was exploration, seeing what the sidekick(s) do or say, or watching the story to unfold.

I think in hindsight I would basically have preferred to see two or three good movies with slightly better plot for that money... or bought a couple of cool Indy games. Now I'm "stuck" with my digital download version.
  5. Jul 18, 2013
    I am sick and tired of zombie games and I love this one. If you own a ps3, you should definitely play this game. It's one of those transformative experiences you go through, when there is a before and after playing the game. I felt the same way when I first played Street Fighter II, Zelda, Mario or Day of the tentacle.

In The Last Of Us, the writing is revolutionary. A true labor of

In The Last Of Us, the writing is revolutionary. A true labor of love. Playing it feels like playing a game that treats you like an intelligent adult! It's odd that this should even be mentioned but it's a really big deal and I hope it feels like a big slap to many game directors out there, because it should!

This game oozes love everywhere. Naughty Gods wanted to totally blow our minds and had both the means and the skill to do and the result is a great, great ride. Gaming's Casablanca moment.
  6. Jul 18, 2013
    At the risk of sounding cliché, I feel I have no choice but to give this game a 10. The Last of Us is yet another masterpiece by Naughty Dog that cannot be overlooked by anyone whom 1) owns a PS3 and 2) enjoys a game rich in detail both graphically and the story line.

Story line Naughty Dog has always had a knack for telling a good story and The Last of Us is no exception. Instead of other "zombie-apocalypse" games, it focuses more on Joel and Ellie's mission (no spoilers) than it does on the infected. It's refreshing to play a "zombie" game without having to fight off hoards of zombies all the time. In my opinion, this allows more depth in an otherwise stale and lackluster genre.

Game play Is what we expect from Naughty Dog. The controls are responsive and easy to use. Enemy AI can be a little hit and miss, especially with Ellie. When in stealth, she tends to wander off, sometimes running into the enemy, yet they never notice her unless they notice you. I can see why people write negatively about this flaw but in my opinion, I'd rather the enemy not react to an NPC (Ellie) than have my cover blown all of time. With that said, I doesn't happen often and in no way will hinder your experience. Otherwise, Naughty Dog delivered a very fluid experience here. It makes for a pretty awesome experience when a hunter runs after you, then duck and dives when you pull a gun it gives you a realistic sense of combat, unlike anything I've seen in a game to date.

Graphics I won't spend much time here. The Last of Us is probably one of Naughty Dog's last productions for this console generation. It pushes the PS3 to its limits and rightfully so. This game is worth every painstakingly realistic detail that you will encounter. From water, both above and under; forestry; run-down towns and cities; no detail was overlooked.

The Last of Us is a game that shouldn't be overlooked from any PS3 owner. A must have for every library. Normally I find it difficult to find replay value in games, but I will definitely replay this game. The story is just that good.
  7. Jul 19, 2013
    I almost passed on The Last of Us I had previously decided I was not going to by any more games until next generation to save money. Everyone kept talking about how great this game was however, and how good the story an characters were, and for me that is the main reason I game. From FF7 to Mass Effect to the Bioshock games (to name a few) I love games that tell a story and haveI almost passed on The Last of Us I had previously decided I was not going to by any more games until next generation to save money. Everyone kept talking about how great this game was however, and how good the story an characters were, and for me that is the main reason I game. From FF7 to Mass Effect to the Bioshock games (to name a few) I love games that tell a story and have interesting characters. So I decided to give The Last of Us a try and am I ever glad I did.

The Last of Us, as I am sure you have read elsewhere, is a masterpiece. It is a truly brilliant achievement in entertainment and should be experienced by as many people as possible. The thing is, to truly understand why so many people keep saying this you have to experience if for yourself. Nevertheless, this is a review so I will do my best to verbalize why I feel this way.

Lets start with the story. The big picture is nothing we haven’t seen before to be honest an outbreak, followed by infected and people are left trying to survive in the dystopic aftermath. It’s a brutal world, and in the opening scene Naughty Dog lets you know very quickly that they are not pulling any punches in this story it’s not a nice place and anything can happen. This is one of the game’s masterstrokes from the opening scene you as the gamer feel uneasy with the idea that anything can happen and you are almost tentative to get attached to characters because you have the feeling anyone can be killed at anytime.

The Last of Us is not about the big picture so much as it is about the story of Joel and Ellie and their plight and the bond that forms out of necessity and genuine emotion. It is how this unfolds that makes this game special they are the two most believable characters I have come across in gaming. Due to incredible voice acting and brilliant writing you can’t help but become emotionally invested. If something is important to Joel or Ellie it is important to you. One more than one occasion I found myself wanting to rush due to a sense of urgency that one of the characters had in the game. There were cut-scenes that were so well done that when they would finish I would forget I was playing a game and wait for things to continue like a movie. To further drive the point my wife, who is not generally interested in video games, started watching me play and couldn’t stop. There were nights if I was off work and she had to get up in the morning where I would have to stop playing so she would go to bed a decent time. She also made sure I waited until she was home before I would continue playing it’s that captivating.

Of course games are also about the game play and the game play in The Last of Us is excellent. You can kill enemies a variety of ways, and there is something immensely satisfying about this. Whether it be sneaking up behind someone and driving a knife in their neck or throwing a Molotov and listening to screams of pain as several infected get caught in the blast it never gets old. You can take a slow approach, or if you have the gear you can be more direct. Be careful though, this is a survival game and resources are in a limited supply making you evaluate the best way each encounter should be handled.

The small things in The Last of Us and the attention to detail really stand out. Whether it be a background conversation, some small environmental detail or the facial expressions on the characters it is all done well and adds to the ambiance. One thing I really liked about the game was how it rewards you for exploration. More often that not if you take the time to look around you are rewarded with collectibles, crafting supplies or parts for upgrading weapons. The game is also beautiful as someone who spends a lot of time PC gaming I have grown jaded with the old consoles and find so many of the games to look dated…this was not the case with The Last of Us. I am not sure how Naughty Dog did it, but they must be squeezing every last ounce of power out of the PS3.

The game is not perfect of course, nothing is. There were occasions in combat when I would land a clean head shot only to have an enemy shake it off. As well sometimes in combat I would try to stealth and party members would not get out of the way. There were also times that an NPC would start a conversation with me when they were not close so I could not hear what they were saying as a result I found I had to have sub-titles on when I played as I did not want to miss anything. These are all minute next to the greatness of this game and easy to deal with as they are the exception, not the rule.

The Last of Us is the best video game I have ever played and I have been playing games since Colecovision and Atari. While it may not take this mantle for you I can guarantee that the vast majority of players with love this game. Or at the very least respect and admire the work that Naughty Dog put in it. Buy this game, play this game you won’t regret it.
  8. Jul 20, 2013
    Truly the best game I have ever played, it is fair to say the the game designers went full throttle to make sure that this game was to be one of the most iconic games of the year and for the 3rd gen console. The plot is perfect, very well planned and executed, it keeps the player's interest throughout the struggle that the protagonist and his young companion endure, highlighting their bondTruly the best game I have ever played, it is fair to say the the game designers went full throttle to make sure that this game was to be one of the most iconic games of the year and for the 3rd gen console. The plot is perfect, very well planned and executed, it keeps the player's interest throughout the struggle that the protagonist and his young companion endure, highlighting their bond and will to survive. A perfect swansong for the Playstation 3 that keeps to strapped in until the end. Buying this game is definitely a no-brainer. Expand
  9. Jul 22, 2013
    Although the game does have repetitive gameplay here and there, the story and plot driven aspect of it is enough to completely overlook any sort of familiar "already been done" gameplay. The mechanics and physics of the game are flawless. The acting and character development is by far better than 99% of movies out there and the fact that you get to play as these characters is the cherry onAlthough the game does have repetitive gameplay here and there, the story and plot driven aspect of it is enough to completely overlook any sort of familiar "already been done" gameplay. The mechanics and physics of the game are flawless. The acting and character development is by far better than 99% of movies out there and the fact that you get to play as these characters is the cherry on top. If you're a fan of the Uncharted series, you will not be disappointed. But if you're a fan of Uncharted and looking for a completely different way to shoot your gun, you will be somewhat disappointed because that aspect of the game is somewhat similar between the two. The game isn't really about zombies or action, its how the characters develop and survive. The only thing that i can see most survival game enthusiasts would have a beef with is the fact that when you die in the game, u just redo the same scenario until you get it done. But even that wasn't a big concern to me because if you spend a good amount of stealth time killing and one zombie takes you out, you'd have to redo all your strats again. My final comment....i was depressed when the game ended cause i loved it so much. Expand
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    This game is truly great, but does it warrant the $60? That really depends. Its definitely different than many of the other games that have come out this year and it will no doubt receive "game of the year" status. The game is very solid, with easy to learn mechanics that make it simple for anyone to pick up and play. The story is standard post zombie apocalypse fare and can be easilyThis game is truly great, but does it warrant the $60? That really depends. Its definitely different than many of the other games that have come out this year and it will no doubt receive "game of the year" status. The game is very solid, with easy to learn mechanics that make it simple for anyone to pick up and play. The story is standard post zombie apocalypse fare and can be easily compared to games like resident evil. There is more of an emotional weight tied to the story and does have some truly touching, shocking, saddening and bittersweet moments. But the story isn't anything new and wont surprise everybody. The way its told and its emotionally driven moments are what make it stand out from the crowd. The graphics are stunning to say the least. There are moments where you are allowed to take a breather and simply admire the work Naughty Dog has put into each environment. Everything from dilapidated cities to snow covered forests and wide rivers, to sunlight vistas and etc. There's even one moment in particular that truly shows the graphical fidelity of the game. The enemies range from infected monsters, to other humans that want to kill you for whatever reason they have. You have to option to use stealth or to run in guns a blazing, but only if you have the resources to do so. Supplies are limited and you need to really ration out your items and make every bullet fired from your gun count. These elements make for some very intense shoot outs that can end with you having only 2 bullets left in your hand gun. The length of the game is very good. It took me about 12 hours to beat and that was mainly cause of the random difficulty spikes and the occasional cheap death. Other than that however, your game time might vary, especially if you stop to read every note and find every firefly pendant in the game. Re-playability comes in the form of a new game plus mode which allows you to replay the game on the same mode but with all of your upgrades and etc. If you're on the fence about buying this game, i'd rent it first and see if you like it. I did so and i beat it during my rental time; therefore, i wont buy it at its full retail price. I will wait for the price to drop. If third person shooters with survival horror elements is your thing or you simply want a brief introduction into the world of survival horror, then by all means buy this game. Expand
  11. Jul 22, 2013
    Superb graphics. epic and emotional story, realistic combat, intense horror. This game contains all of those. You won't be disappointed. It gives the feeling that you ARE Joel, not just playing as him while bashing monsters, sneaking around enemies and exploring the amazingly detailed USA wasteland. I strongly recommend
  12. Jul 23, 2013
    Let me start off straight, this game is so delightful and promises to give you joy. Troy Baker, who voiced Joel, has done an excellent job in giving the character much power. Same appreciation goes to Ashley Johnson who managed to voice a 14-year old girl who is so innocent in the beginning and then slowly becomes the star of the show. Then I'll have to praise the sound which is done soLet me start off straight, this game is so delightful and promises to give you joy. Troy Baker, who voiced Joel, has done an excellent job in giving the character much power. Same appreciation goes to Ashley Johnson who managed to voice a 14-year old girl who is so innocent in the beginning and then slowly becomes the star of the show. Then I'll have to praise the sound which is done so perfect. The clicking sound of the clickers, the footsteps and every sound which is possible to happen in real life too.

Naughty Dog, creators of legendary franchises like Crash and Uncharted, didn't disappoint with the gameplay and story. I am not going to spoil the story but it's a well written story for a post-apocalyptic survival adventure. The relationship between Joel and Ellie is weak in the beginning and then slowly evolves into a relationship stronger than anything else. Under gameplay, I don't have words to describe. It is so fluid in terms of switching weapons, healing during combat and since it's a survival video game, crafting is very much necessary. Crafting a scissor into a melee weapon is so realistic and helpful killing the infected. Besides combat, you have stealth too. The developers have done an incredible job making this part of the game. Sneaking around the infected keeps your heartbeat high all the time. You enter Listen Mode which acts like seeing through wall but it's realistic in the way that the target's position is judged by their sound of their footsteps, their voice and the clicking sound of the clickers. Sometimes you can't locate the enemies/infected because they don't make any sound. The different types of the infected is smart and it's better you find them out when you play the game.

You collect supplements to improve your skills and collect parts to improve your weapons in a bench. The brutal violence in this game is as close to God of War only you don't rip enemies apart but mashing their head into a table is so mature. Ellie is not only a girl who follows you all the time but helps you in combat too. During the first hours, she throws bricks and bottles at enemies to stun them and giving you a clear opportunity to finish them off. Ellie can be a trouble sometimes. She stands in your way while you are in cover and can spoil your stealth plan. This is nothing compared to the stealth mechanics.

Overall, this game is a sure masterpiece. There is so much content in this game that gives an immerse experience which probably none game could have delivered before. It's a must buy for all PS3 owners and I guarantee that you will not regret buying the game. There is a Multiplayer mode and new game for the people who wants to keep playing this game.
  13. Jul 23, 2013
    Look, this game is amazing because it is a fully immersive experience. Once you get the controls, if you pretend and play as if you actually are the character, it is one of the most exciting and engaging games I've ever played. The dialogue and action flow seamlessly into one another. Amazing!
  14. Jul 23, 2013
    An absolutely gorgeous experience delivered to us by the studio that brought us the Uncharted series. The scenery, the game play, the characters, the plot and the dialogue are all delivered masterfully. One of the most anticipated games of the year lives up to the hype, if not, it exceeded it. Never has a game brought so many tears to my eyes like The Last Of Us is. Its just absurdlyAn absolutely gorgeous experience delivered to us by the studio that brought us the Uncharted series. The scenery, the game play, the characters, the plot and the dialogue are all delivered masterfully. One of the most anticipated games of the year lives up to the hype, if not, it exceeded it. Never has a game brought so many tears to my eyes like The Last Of Us is. Its just absurdly entertaining and thrilling. The game is just flawless to the core, it's just a true masterpiece. Expand
  15. Jul 24, 2013
    Easily the best game I've ever played. The character development, scenery, everything! I highly suggest you play this game. No matter how you get it it will definitely be worth the time and money. This game has the best characters ever as well!
  16. Jul 24, 2013
    I was looking forward to this game for a long time and truthfully, i got everything out of it i wanted. Great story, well told and in depth. amazing graphics, brilliant characters, Intense and immersive gameplay etc. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in this game However playing through it a second time, really didn't hit as hard as i was hoping but of course is still enjoyable. TheI was looking forward to this game for a long time and truthfully, i got everything out of it i wanted. Great story, well told and in depth. amazing graphics, brilliant characters, Intense and immersive gameplay etc. I thoroughly enjoyed my experience in this game However playing through it a second time, really didn't hit as hard as i was hoping but of course is still enjoyable. The online was a pleasent surprise, I found myself going back several times, but i wouldn't be able to play it for hours on end.
    My only gripes with the game, game play wise is the companion AI in the stealth segments. While i don't find it too distracting, it is a little goofy at times.
    Story wise, while i loved it, the end just left me wanting more. If a sequel is coming i expect my want will be for filled, but a little more closure would have been nice.

all in all it's everything i wanted to get out of this game.
  17. Jul 24, 2013
    This is one of the best games I have played. The graphics are fantastic for PS3, the story is unlike anything you've seen and the effort that has been put into this game is breathtaking. Hats off to Naughty Dog. The gameplay is well thought-out and the decisions you make will impact on the way you tackle enemies. The world you are in is just so devastating, and right from the opening youThis is one of the best games I have played. The graphics are fantastic for PS3, the story is unlike anything you've seen and the effort that has been put into this game is breathtaking. Hats off to Naughty Dog. The gameplay is well thought-out and the decisions you make will impact on the way you tackle enemies. The world you are in is just so devastating, and right from the opening you will be stunned at everything the game has to offer. Ellie is one of the best characters I have come across, and the way she grows and becomes more independent is fantastic.

As well as the single player, the multiplayer is also a great experience. I can't wait for DLC...

The replay value for the single player is quite low, but this is because you will already know the whole story and everything that will happen so I'm leaving it at 10.

Looking forward to a sequel ND ^-^
  18. Jul 26, 2013
    Excellent story, great game play, fantastic graphics, non-repetitive and plenty of hours of fun.Best 60 dollar spent.. EVER!! Oh and great multi-player as well, extremely addictive
  19. Jul 25, 2013
    I don't think there's such a thing as a perfect game, but The Last of Us comes damn close. Everything from the gameplay to the visuals to, most importantly, the narrative, meshes together to create an experience I know I'm never going to forget. You'd be forgiven for thinking this sounds like hyperbole, and trust me, I was sceptical too but TLOU is one of the few games that genuinelyI don't think there's such a thing as a perfect game, but The Last of Us comes damn close. Everything from the gameplay to the visuals to, most importantly, the narrative, meshes together to create an experience I know I'm never going to forget. You'd be forgiven for thinking this sounds like hyperbole, and trust me, I was sceptical too but TLOU is one of the few games that genuinely lives up to its hype.

First, there's the characters. Ellie is far and away the most well drawn AI companion you're likely to see this generation, and one you truly grow to care for. Joel is a perfect counterpart grim and violent, but with a plethora of emotions lying beneath his gruff exterior, you may not agree with every decision he makes (particularly towards the game's end) but you completely understand the reasoning behind it. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson have wonderful chemistry and did a wonderful job giving these characters life. Impressively, the gameplay not only matches the quality of the story but actually complements it. The combat is weighty and tense without feeling repetitive; this is a game which makes you feel every gunshot and every blow. Enemies struggle as you strangle the life from them, beg for their lives as you line up their head in your crosshairs make no mistake, this game is dark. One particular enemy type the Clickers ranks as one of the most terrifying creatures I've had the misfortune of facing. But this darkness and violence never feels contrived or gratuitous instead it feels necessary to the story, which is the game's strongest asset. Such is the strength of the narrative that you will be completely hooked right from the prologue. This comes to a head in the Winter section which, without giving anything away, is simply one of the most masterful game sequences I've ever experienced. If you ever plan to play this game, avoid spoilers at all costs it's an experience which deserves to be played with as little prior knowledge as possible, and contains some of the most beautiful moments on PlayStation.

This game will suck you in and not let go for its entire 14-18 hours. I've been playing games for nearly 20 years, and this is quite possibly the best one I've ever played. Just do yourself a favour and buy it.
  20. Jul 25, 2013
    I like the game. Mostly because of its drama. The plot is very good although I have seen it several times already in movies. I can't say it's bad, on contrary I think it is an advantage. Acting is fantastic, cinematic are fabulous and visuals I would say if every game on Ps3 showed the same quality who would need ps4 for other 2 years. My only concern is a gameplay. it's a little bitI like the game. Mostly because of its drama. The plot is very good although I have seen it several times already in movies. I can't say it's bad, on contrary I think it is an advantage. Acting is fantastic, cinematic are fabulous and visuals I would say if every game on Ps3 showed the same quality who would need ps4 for other 2 years. My only concern is a gameplay. it's a little bit repetitive on my taste. and personally I would prefer more humans opposing me as I am sick and tired of zombie-alike enemies in video games. But over all this is the game you should not miss on no circumstances if only you don't have a ps3 of course. Expand
  21. Jul 26, 2013
    The only thing I can think of that would have made this game even better, would be to make it more of an open world game. Everything was very structured as you dabble just lightly into open world while searching. Once you move on though, you can never go back. Decision based story would have really nailed it down, but I suppose there are plenty of other games for that opportunity. ThisThe only thing I can think of that would have made this game even better, would be to make it more of an open world game. Everything was very structured as you dabble just lightly into open world while searching. Once you move on though, you can never go back. Decision based story would have really nailed it down, but I suppose there are plenty of other games for that opportunity. This game is a MUST BUY. Expand
  22. Jul 28, 2013
    This game was beautiful in everything it was. Although I loved the story, the gameplay too was very compelling. The ammunition and usability of items were realistic and made sense unlike most games that make you repare items every other battle. I really also like the exploration and no map concept. Overall, the battles always seemed like different puzzles in a world that is really detailed.
  23. Jul 28, 2013
    I don't even know where to begin with this game... I've been an avid gamer for almost my entire life, and I consider myself quite fluent in the world of gaming. After beating this game, I can honestly say that it may take a spot in one of my top games of all time. At the bare minimum, it's one of the best games of this past decade. Over the past few years, I've played good games, butI don't even know where to begin with this game... I've been an avid gamer for almost my entire life, and I consider myself quite fluent in the world of gaming. After beating this game, I can honestly say that it may take a spot in one of my top games of all time. At the bare minimum, it's one of the best games of this past decade. Over the past few years, I've played good games, but nothing compares to how well crafted The Last of Us is. Although the post apocalyptic trope is somewhat overused now a days, Naughty Dog has succeeded in using this theme to create a compelling, immersive, beautiful, story with The Last of Us. Although some game mechanics are somewhat faulty, I usually can forgive some misgivings for a good game and story, and all of this makes me completely forget the bad about this game (which really there isn't much). Naughty Dog created a story that does not glorify the main characters, but makes them human. Most games, movies, and TV create this sort of "hero" identity with their protagonist, which yes, you of course want to root for the main character, but at the same time we, as the audience, know that no one is perfect. I think this in itself was probably the most important facet of the game that made it so compelling, Joel and Ellie are VERY human. Naughty Dog brilliantly builds upon their relationship through the game to create not only a bond between the characters, but uses it as a catalyst for what ultimately happens at the end. Without spoiling anything, I will say that the ending of The Last of Us is definitely one of the most emotional, impactful, and compelling endings that I have ever played. This game will stick with me and I cannot help but think about how morally dense this game is. Expand
  24. Jul 29, 2013
    This game is such a masterpiece. Naughty Dog should definitely teach how to produce a game. The gameplay, the story, the setting, everything is completely perfect. I really enjoyed playing this game, hopefully give it to my grand children to play. Do not listen to bad reviews, just buy this game and start playing. If you like survival and post-apocalyptic games, The Last of Us is just for you.
  25. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is already a classic. Not thanks to its gameplay, or its AI, because they both have a few flaws.
    But thanks to its storytelling, its voice acting, and its atmosphere.
    But thanks to its storytelling, its voice acting, and its atmosphere.

This game will take your breath away, and won't give it back to you until the end of the credits. You won't find any cliché in this game. The characters are incredibly human. The whole game, you'll ask yourself this question: "What would I do in this situation".

The game's story is violent, mature, and quite depressing if you think about it.

It is full of surprises, it is incredibly good, etc...

To sum it up, as I said, it is a classic, no matter what some people say.

Oh, and by the way, it is gorgeous.
    Don't hesitate, buy it. It's worth your money.

The greatest game of this gen, along with Red Dead Redemption. 10/10
  26. Jul 31, 2013
    This game is the best zombie type game i've ever played! Naughty Dog sure did it again with their amazing games! I was stoked about this game when it first was released in stores. The emotions in this game are powerful. This is the finest game i've ever played. Can't wait if theres a sequel
  27. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is in the top 3 best game I've ever played. The athmosphere is incredible. The characters are so attaching. Each moments of this game stay in your mind. This game is a Masterpiece to the beginning until the end. Ellie and Joel are the perfects characters for this game. The story is great but what makes this game unique is the relations between Ellie and Joel. The graphics areThis game is in the top 3 best game I've ever played. The athmosphere is incredible. The characters are so attaching. Each moments of this game stay in your mind. This game is a Masterpiece to the beginning until the end. Ellie and Joel are the perfects characters for this game. The story is great but what makes this game unique is the relations between Ellie and Joel. The graphics are amazing...well this game is wonderfull. There's still annoying lags and AI are quite idiotic but the rest is awesome. Expand
  28. Aug 4, 2013
    The story is quite good but, in my opinion, the ending is sort of anti-climatic. But the way Naughty Dog designed the characters and their personalities and how they interact with each other is just amazing! And the gameplay... borderline perfect. The game doesn't feed you loot all the time, and you have to make up your mind quick if it's worth to shoot that clicker or if you just have toThe story is quite good but, in my opinion, the ending is sort of anti-climatic. But the way Naughty Dog designed the characters and their personalities and how they interact with each other is just amazing! And the gameplay... borderline perfect. The game doesn't feed you loot all the time, and you have to make up your mind quick if it's worth to shoot that clicker or if you just have to sneak by. But all and all, awesome game personally; top 5 games of all time. Expand
  29. Mar 1, 2014
    The Last of Us. A game that will be remembered.

Naughty Dog have made a masterpiece. The Last of Us brings you a story that will touch you. The characters, the world and overall the gameplay itself make this game the best that I've ever played. Joel and Ellie are characters that you will fall in love with The game tells the story of their relationship and how from totally disliking
    The Last of Us. A game that will be remembered.

Joel and Ellie are characters that you will fall in love with
    The game tells the story of their relationship and how from totally disliking each other they become best friends and even more.

Throughout the game you will find interesting items that you can use to craft bombs, shivs, med kits and other things to help you survive in the environment which is done beautifully. The combat system is one of the most interesting things you will see. It's not about run and gun, you have to use your brain and think before you act which will be a blast because of the many different ways to approach each fight. You can even chose to avoid conflict completely.

The graphics of the game are one of the most satisfying graphics you'll see not because of how well they are done (and they are done VERY well) but because of the way they make the game look so believable and so much mor satisfying.

You might find yourself crying while playing the game and you might feel attached to the character which will make you think about the world that we live in and how people treat one another. Joel and Ellie will touch your heart and you will have an experience that you would want to remember forever and make you wish that they were real.
  30. Aug 8, 2013
    This is the best game I have ever played. From beginning to end it had me on the edge of my seat. Everything about this game from the story to gameplay even multi-player. If you want to experience a great edge of your seat single player campaign this is the game for you. Visually this game has those little touches that makes everything you encounter believable. Great Experience.
  31. Aug 12, 2013
    This wasn't a game, this was an experience. I had not played the fist time, i wasn't using the ps3 thre by a year so i thought to watch a walkthrought on internet. I've never done such a more idiot thing in my life... however it was the best experience that i had with i video game, without giving any matter to the gameplay.
    this is the best game of all time, of the whole generation and
    this is the best game of all time, of the whole generation and there won't never be game like this in 20 years
  32. Aug 13, 2013
    Excellent combination of story and game. Great characters with professional voices. Diverse scenarios that are not easily predictable.( Avoid the spoilers if you can.)
    I do not play many games, but this is the best game I have played.
  33. Aug 14, 2013
    I don't even know where to start with The Last of Us. From its brutal combat, amazingly immersive story and world, The Last of Us is superb. I was really disappointed when I realized that my nearest Gamestop wasn't having a midnight release for this game so I just picked it up the next day right when they opened. I rushed home slapped it in my PlayStation and started my journey. Let meI don't even know where to start with The Last of Us. From its brutal combat, amazingly immersive story and world, The Last of Us is superb. I was really disappointed when I realized that my nearest Gamestop wasn't having a midnight release for this game so I just picked it up the next day right when they opened. I rushed home slapped it in my PlayStation and started my journey. Let me tell you.. that journey won't be soon forgotten. I will admit the game isn't "flawless" it has some small bugs and glitches here and there but those can't and won't take you out of game and stop you from enjoying it. It has a pretty lengthy story, about 12-14 hours. Aside from that you have multiplayer. This multiplayer suits the game well, its tense, fun, and strategic. You pick a faction Hunter or Fireflies. Once you do that you embark on a 12 week adventure that has you trying to keep your clan safe and healthy. Occasionally there will be events that come up that have the chance to take out a certain percentage of your clan, it could vary from 25% to a brutal 100%. If you fail an event that happens to be 100% everybody dies and you are forced to restart. So overall The Last of Us is a title that YOU, as a PlayStation 3 owner, need to own. I give The Last of Us a 10 out 10 Expand
  34. Aug 15, 2013
    Where do I start?
    This game is phenomenal, expect to get attached to the characters from the very start until the very end.
    The last of us is set in a post-apocalypse world where a fungus infection has wiped out 60% of humanity. You play as Joel, a survivor who is on a journey with a girl called Ellie. The environment and atmosphere is truly amazing and you can actually feel the bond
    Where do I start?
    You play as Joel, a survivor who is on a journey with a girl called Ellie. The environment and atmosphere is truly amazing and you can actually feel the bond between the characters as you progress in the game. This game is by far the best game in this console generation, until GTA V comes out at least.
  35. Aug 19, 2013
    Naughty Dog doesn't make trash. In SCE the are best. Irrefutable proof- The Last of Us. TLoU is perfect game. I don't know what to say else. You should buy PS3 for it.
  36. Aug 19, 2013
    Let me start by prefacing this to say I don't believe this game is perfect. It has it's flaws, but giving it a perfect score doesn't mean that it's perfect, rather that I just couldn't add anything else to it, within reason, to make it even better.

This game has a superb story, as long as you like apocalyptic games. It is appropriate for the setting and is not as predictable as many imply. It's not simply a rehash of a zombie game.

It has about the best graphics you can find on a PS3 game. Some people complain about it having no 1080p support, but that's irrelevant. Getting it to render at a higher resolution than 720p would mean losing detail given that rendering power is limited. Environments are lifelike and they look like an art masterpiece.

Animation is beautifully done, as well as voice acting. They match like you couldn't believe it. You'll feel like the characters are real.

Game-play is completely appropriate to the setting, it feels and behaves like the person handling the gun isn't a gun expert, and it should feel like that, even if it can feel frustrating some times. It feels intended, especially considering the amount of thought that went into the other areas.

I could go on and on regarding the other aspects. However, in the end this game isn't about providing the best mechanics or game-play you can find, there are other games for that. It's about delivering a best-in-class cinematic experience, and if you can accept that, this will probably be one of the best games you've ever played.

I bought a PS3 for this game, and this game only, and I'm keeping it to be able to relive this experience in the future.
  37. Aug 20, 2013
    I have been a Sony fanboy since the launch of the ps2. I loved my PS2 when I got it, from tony hawk to ratchet and clank and let's not forget Jak and Daxter. So when the time came for the ps3 I was beyond excited. But honestly there was never really anything that made me feel I needed to buy one. Not until Uncharted 3 which is when I decided to get one. After that I didn't really knowI have been a Sony fanboy since the launch of the ps2. I loved my PS2 when I got it, from tony hawk to ratchet and clank and let's not forget Jak and Daxter. So when the time came for the ps3 I was beyond excited. But honestly there was never really anything that made me feel I needed to buy one. Not until Uncharted 3 which is when I decided to get one. After that I didn't really know what to get other than old games I wanted to play but never did, but then there was The Last of Us. Not only is it a great game, but it makes you feel great to call yourself a gamer, Naughty Dog really know how to make a game that is thank you to their fans. From gameplay, to story, yo acting this game has it all! I can't recommend it enough! It makes me happy to call myself a Sony fanboy! Expand
  38. Aug 21, 2013
    Easily my favourite game and my game of the year for this year and also my third favourite game of all time just getting bumped out by the walking dead and skyrim
  39. Dec 15, 2013
    The storyline for this game is amazing and I loved it! The multilayer is ok but, not the best, it needs zombies it's a damn ZOMBIE GAME for crying out loud!!!!!
  40. Jan 29, 2014
    By the time I had put down the controller, I felt a degree of satisfaction I haven't gotten from a game in a long time.

Naughty Dog's "The Last of Us" was released as a PlayStation 3 exclusive back in spring 2013, but I would have believed it if someone told me it came out today. The game looks beautiful, and does a great job in appearing almost realistic. The cinematics are an ever further step, with amazing facial designs and lighting effects. These characters really do come to life. The environments are well designed, with a lot of attention to detail. Every nook and cranny is fully explore-able, and often has a goody or two in the form of resources, collectibles, and notes. It's clear that a lot of love and care went into this game. Even without anything to pick up, exploring the areas in it of itself is exciting. Walking into a side room to find a skeleton cowering in the corner puts dark images in your head. Writings on the walls and destruction of objects continue to add to the ambiance. The anticipation and dread of finding out what's on the other side of a door is enough to send shivers down your spine.

The enemies are well designed too. Seeing a man with his head split in half while he hobbles towards you is horrifying too say the least. Alerting a horde of them by mistake is frightening, and the panic they cause you is genuine. Thankfully, no two zombies look the same. They all have different clothes, and more importantly, differently mangled and distorted bodies. Most notable is the head, which could still look normal and intact, or it could be a disgusting mess of fungus and blood. It's a very big relief , since fighting the same enemy over and over again can be a major drag. The human enemies look great as well, but they just can't compare to the sight of a clicker running right at you.

My first impressions of the game, however, were not that great. Without a doubt, the weakest part of The Last of Us is the mechanics. During the first hour or two, that becomes very apparent.There are some great moments when you feel really tense and excited, but those don't come until much later. Shooting is not the smoothest, especially since the early gun is not very good. However, it does improve, and you continue to find more weapons, which helps to freshen up the combat and keep it from feeling repetitive. It also took a while for me to get the hang of the stealth system, and I often found myself wishing it was more like Hitman's. I really was not hooked during the opening hours. I wasn't having fun going down these very linear segments with what I felt was a broken stealth system. After all, why even bother sneaking when you can just rush the enemy and beat them down? I also didn't see what made this game so special. It seemed like just another zombie apocalypse game, which I am pretty sick of these days. Luckily, the game finally picked up once you started to meet more characters and the game opened up a little bit. The levels themselves are still linear, but there's plenty of extra space to explore, which is one of the game's greatest strengths. The stealth also grew on me quite substantially, and never really caused me much problem afterwards.

It's pretty obvious that the narrative is the high point of the game. The voice actors deserve credit because they all did a fantastic job. It was a movie-like quality performance by each one, especially Troy Baker as Joel. The story really was what made me keep playing. I wanted to see more of the world, read about what happened to the previous inhabitants, and learn more about the outbreak. On the surface, yes, it is just another clichéd zombie story that we've all heard a million times. But as you dive deeper, you see that Naughty Dog does so much more with it. They know exactly how to make you feel the characters's pain, and they don't pull their punches. It's truly some of the greatest writing in a video game.

My final point is about the experience as a whole. Some people might argue that it is more of a movie than a game, and even that simply watching the cutscenes provides the same experience. They could not be more wrong. The only real way to fully enjoy The Last of Us is by playing it. A movie equivalent would not be the same. By playing it, you are enabled to create a special connection to the characters, one that cannot be replicated by simply watching alone. The game may be presentation heavy, but it is still a game at it's core.

In short, The Last of Us is a phenomenal game that really should be played by anyone who can. I went in with expectations that it would be overrated, but it really is something special. Do not hesitate to pick this one up.
  41. Aug 25, 2013
    This game is perfect. The story is as engrossing and compelling as the best TV series and books and the simple interface reflects perfectly the setting of the game and the atmosphere within which you are consumed. Phenomenal game. Buy a console if you have to just to play this game.
  42. Sep 1, 2013
    A wonderful adventure with a compelling attitude! You'll be driven from start to finish with the awesome gameplay, and intense cinematic's! If you loved the Uncharted series, then this game is right up your alley bringing full ammunition of fun and excitement!
  43. Sep 2, 2013
    Esse jogo simplesmente perfeito, jogo vídeo game desde o início da década de 90, já vi várias obras primas no mundo dos games, mas The Last Of Us conseguiu me surpreender e trouxe de volta a emoção de jogar um Survival Horror de primeira grandeza. Perfect Game, no words!!!
  44. Jan 14, 2014
    Naughty Dog makes good games. Really good games. The Last of Us premise sounded fairly basic, and not something I usually go for: post-apocalyptic zombies vs regular people. Of course, they had a new twist--the zombies were victims of a fungal brain infection. Still not enough I would likely have tried it ... Except these are the people who made the Uncharted games.

Graphics: Gorgeous.

Graphics:
    Gorgeous. A dirty, post-apocalyptic world never looked so good. Seriously, the shadows and reflections are stunning.

Story:
    Let's just say I was still thinking about the ending days later. The characters are fully realized, with unique and compelling personalities, true to themselves. Both protagonists have moments when you might not even like them, but you always kind of love them. You feel them. Especially, Ellie, who is surprisingly sassy.

Gameplay:
    Heavy focus on stealth, with plenty of combat and a few environmental puzzles, though nothing as deep as Uncharted. Everything performs so smoothly the control scheme disappears. You can almost forget you're playing a game.

Because resources like ammo are scarce, you're always trying to deal with or avoid enemies in quiet ways without alerting them. Like silent takedowns, which are a real pleasure, and take just long enough to make you nervous someone's buddy will spot you doing it.

There are also some upgrades available, both to your character, and even more fun, to your individual weapons. You can increase the clip capacity, reload speed, and so forth. A system that carries over into Newgame +, which I actually tried out a bit just to continue enjoying the enhancement system.

Overall 10/10
  45. Dec 25, 2013
    I'd say this game is a masterpiece, and I'd accept the critique. But I won't. This isn't a game. It's an experience.
    The Last of Us is out of this world. Number one ever. My favorite game of all times. It's just so incredible. I can't put my feelings into words.
  46. Dec 30, 2013
    Sensational !......I just created an account to give my feedback on this game. I will rather describe this in few words than a long review.
    Sensational/ Outstanding/ master of masterpieces/ Amazing Awesome.
  47. Mar 13, 2014
    Is surprising the awesomeness of this game. The characters, the plot, the gameplay, the graphics, the scenario and all in this game are great. Worth every single penny that you spend in this game. The Last of Us is a masterpiece!
  48. Dec 20, 2014
    Game play: is good, not great and is kept fresh with the constant obtaining of new weapons. story: is very generic, predictable and all of the side characters are just there to die. Graphics: undeniably the best part of this game, i was amazed by how good this game looks. The lighting is flawless, the settings are captivating and the animations of the characters is very life like. TheGame play: is good, not great and is kept fresh with the constant obtaining of new weapons. story: is very generic, predictable and all of the side characters are just there to die. Graphics: undeniably the best part of this game, i was amazed by how good this game looks. The lighting is flawless, the settings are captivating and the animations of the characters is very life like. The voice acting is also amazing and you can really hear the emotion in the two main characters very time they speak.. Overall the last of us is one of the most polished gaming experiences I've ever had, but the game play and story do fall short of my expectations, especially given all the hype surrounding the game. I would give the game an 8.3., it is well worth your time. Expand
  49. Dec 4, 2013
    By far, the best game of this generation. The Last Of Us provides a gripping story with very realistic and likable characters.
    One really thing that really sets The Last Of Us apart from Naughty Dogs past creations, is The Last Of Us Use of grotesque violence. But is enjoyable and satisfying every step of the way.

Anyways, shut up, take out your wallet, and buy this game!
  50. Aug 13, 2014
    Ah finally a game that simulates/plays a survival horror/adventuresque post-apocaly.....wait....this has been done before....but not quite as good looking, The Last of Us is essentially a lovechild of Resi 4/ Uncharted/Metal Gear/The Road and I AM LEGEND....Sounds great on paper but just doesn't give you the big hype reaction you were hoping especially on it's PS4 Revival, Humanity hasAh finally a game that simulates/plays a survival horror/adventuresque post-apocaly.....wait....this has been done before....but not quite as good looking, The Last of Us is essentially a lovechild of Resi 4/ Uncharted/Metal Gear/The Road and I AM LEGEND....Sounds great on paper but just doesn't give you the big hype reaction you were hoping especially on it's PS4 Revival, Humanity has been hit hard by the Cordyceps Fungus infecting Human hosts and turning them into the usual BS of some sort of infected man eating fungus zombie hybrid, in comes Joel... A tragedy and years of survival against the infected have made Joel into Battle Hardened Bear Grylls minus the camera crew, fortunately Joel is very likeable an despite his cold Solid Snake killing skills he is a pretty good guy... he almost takes as much damage as wolverine in this story which is crazy....until you meet certain enemies... see the games enemies are Humans who are armed like gears of war characters, Infected Humans who haven't turned fully but still have a serious killer instinct and Metal Gear Extreme difficulty vision which is really irritating especially when the Stealth sections start, also we have Clickers and Bloaters... Clickers are humans that have been overtaken by the Fungus and do not have any sight but instead rely on hearing you creep around seriously any movement and your screwed and especially in tight spots the enemies can come in all varieties and quickly over power you causing a brutal and cheap death, the infected humans barrage you like flies on poo and then sometimes the clickers do instant kills seriously it gets old very quickly and even if your not moving sometimes the clickers just kill you anyway it's like hey screw it I cant see you but I'm gonna eat you anyway! Then we have the Bloaters.... Best way to describe them is like the Tank Zombies in left for dead except these guys take tons of damage before they die and can see you any way and throw these like fungus bombs at you alerting all other enemies in the vicinity! However you only see a couple throughout the whole campaign so that can be forgiven, in comes Ellie, she is basically a rip off of Ellen Page.. but she's ok an only a couple of times does she become a liability, she has a ridiculous boss battle where the boss does one hit kills which really drove me nuts! Apart from the skanky cheap deaths the game is stunning on PS3 and really has pushed the machine to the limits, the Graphics are slick and virtually flawless however some of the cut scenes are in game engine or sometimes CGI... and trigger some obscene loading times and even saving can take upto a minute....the music is awesome and the voice acting great some really nice pieces have been written in and the story is okish... sometimes the controls just don't do what you want them to do and sometimes drops you into....you guessed it an instant death! which sucks I nearly smashed my pad playing this but apart from overpowered enemies, ok chase scenes and some stupid encounters the game is pretty enjoyable the story kept me going and I really wanted to stick with Joel and Ellie and watch them succeed and their relationship grow, now throw in the PS4.... Yesus... the PS4 version has been given 60 FPS and 1080p resolution... Whoopy doo I don't care every game developer says the same crap these days 1080 bla bla our game is crap but it's in 1080p while the game does have a bit more detail than it's PS3 it's not worth shelling out for a PS4 and the updated "Remastered" game... did a game that's barely a year old really need to be Remastered? Answer.... no not really, ok so you get loads of multiplayer crap and the Left Behind DLC but if you have already bought for PS3 don't rebuy, I personally enjoyed Uncharted 2 + 3 more but if you want a great story it's worth maybe getting hold of the PS3 version but if PS4 is your only choice then go for that. Expand
  51. Dec 23, 2013
    This is the best game I ever played on PS3. Great atmosphere and some incredible voice acting. The scene with the giraffes is one I will always remember. If you have a PS3, this game is a must-play!
  52. Dec 29, 2013
    Well. It's great game. Must have for every Ps3 owner. Plot is just great Joel and Ellie are most holding in memory characters ever created. Naughty Dog can make awesome games
  53. Dec 30, 2013
    The Last Of Us is not just the best PS3 Game it is the best game ever made
    The Game Has Amazing Story beautiful Graphics it is the easiest 10 i have ever given a game
  54. Jan 1, 2014
    This game is primarily a story telling device, it's about the atmosphere and character interactions. Is it survival horror? Well you're never afraid to die, you're not going to be set back very far. You do have to conserve ammo a little bit and it really helps your enjoyment of the game if you approach situations strategically; while you can pretty much run and gun it you won't findThis game is primarily a story telling device, it's about the atmosphere and character interactions. Is it survival horror? Well you're never afraid to die, you're not going to be set back very far. You do have to conserve ammo a little bit and it really helps your enjoyment of the game if you approach situations strategically; while you can pretty much run and gun it you won't find this way of playing very fun. Remember, this isn't Call of Duty, it isn't a shooting gallery and as long as you don't play it like it is you should have a great experience with this game.

My only criticism is that there isn't enough variety in the scrap you can salvage and utilise, there's surely only so many pairs of broken scissors in the world? And that's it, that's all the criticism I have.
  55. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that has outstanding depth and character development, along with a fantastic story, questionable decisions, and towards the end, an almost seemingly unethical turn around for the entire game. Just to point out, I have used the spoilers disclaimer, and I rarely use it; this review does contain some pretty big spoilers, so just in case you disputed the disclaimer, please bear that in mind.

So, to start with, the game opens with an incredibly emotional scenario; starting off as Joel's daughter, you end up caught in an escalating event, an incredibly dramatic set up for the entire story. Passing through the town, and into the city, the game throws some incredibly elaborate (and some rather subtle) set pieces that truly drag you deep into the catastrophe. This immersion is something which should be plentiful nowadays, unfortunately isn't. It really shows how far Naughty Dog have come since their debut with Crash Bandicoot. The intro makes you think, and feel, as though you are truly there.

The game itself is set twenty years later, beginning in a tight quarantine zone. Throughout the game, you will experience a plethora of various environments; cityscapes, suburbs, sewers, city outskirts and forests, and small towns. Whilst the most commonplace is downtown cities, the game definitely mixes it up with varied and beautifully detailed areas, which definitely keep the game fresh.

Throughout the game, Joel and Ellie (a young girl who seems to hold the key to immunity to the disease) develop in ways I personally rarely see in games, with exception to Spec Ops; The Line. Several decisions they make could be questioned on their necessity, and towards the end, Joel becomes something almost barbaric. This character development should be noted, as it begins to blur the line as to who the bad guys REALLY are. At the end of the game, Joel makes probably the most controversial decision in the entire game; killing those that could be considered the saviours of mankind, all to protect Ellie. Whether this move could be considered good or evil is far from difficult, and leaves the player thinking hard, long after the game is over.

In terms of gameplay, the survival aspects are fantastic, the combat brutal (bullet shots FEEL like bullet shots, each taking a huge impact on the player), and overall, keeps you on the edge at all times. Expect to die a lot, but also to feel satisfied should you make it through. This game is not for the faint of heart, but giving you the option of either stealth or guns blazing is something which can involve a far greater range of audience. Expect, however, to have to perform both, as supplies are scarce, and complete stealth throughout the entire game is expected only of true gaming ninjas. Prepare to put up a fight.

Overall, the game is fantastic and diverse, with occasional break points, where you are free to just wander around and take in each environment, gathering supplies for further confrontation. Combat is, of course, plentiful, and this game suits those looking for both a good story, and a game that provides decent stealth and survival aspects on the side. Should those meet your needs, buy this game. It's far beyond worth it. I haven't yet touched multiplayer, but in the singleplayer alone, this game is well deserving of a 10/10.

Naughty Dog have done it again.
  56. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a game this is. From start to finish this game grips and excites you. It's all about survival you can't help but get right into the storyline as the characters are just average normal people it's so easy to relate to them and put yourself in that situation.

The graphics, the locations, the backdrop, the noises, the music has all been carefully put together and is totally in sync with each other. The atmosphere is frightening with strange noises or footsteps echoing around the corner.

No negatives at all to speak of (wish the storyline lasted longer as it is so good is the only thing). This game is close to perfection and totally unique. Easily the game of the year and just as easily in my top 10 of all time games as it is so different from the standard RPG/FPS/Adventure games out there. Ignore the handful of negative comments about tiny irrelevant details. THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Bravo Naughty Dog 9.5/10
  57. Jan 11, 2014
    Naughty Bear's Left 4 Dead 3 is a stellar game that should get attention from every video game fanatic. You fight your way through necromorphs and the rebel alliance along with your AI partner Ellen Page,
  58. Jan 2, 2014
    This,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage thatThis,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage that him and Ellie grow over the course of this magnificent game. The detail here is mind blowing it pushes the PS3 to the limit,i'm glad i chose this console over the XBOX 360 becuase even though if i had an XBOX 360 i would go out my way and buy a PS3 and this game,and i would play it over and over,but i have already done that and i saved some money also.All pf this was based on the Single Player,now onto the MP or what it's called in the menu 'Factions'.This game wouldn't need that game mode,it would still get those 10/10's 5/5's and 100./100's but with that stealth/survivor mode it makes the game so more fun and adds much replay value.In that mode you start with nearly nothing and it makes you open little red tool boxes with the tools part and crafting materials so you can help your team win.You going have to choose between the rebellion side and the Firefly side which are mentioned in the single player and Joel must help the firefly leader to deliver a 'Package'.But in here you don't come close to do stuff like that,you have your own 'clan' that you must need to feed and expand by doing good in your matches and then you collect 'food' to make sure your survivors are healthy well fed and not hungry.

If you are wanting to buy this masterpiece of a game i recommend doing it now,this moment,run.
    And if you have an XBOX buy a ps3 and this game or buy the game and go to a friend that has a ps3 push him out the way and play it.
  59. Jan 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this review by making a bold statement. The Last of Us is the best PlayStation 3 game you will ever play. The timing of this game's release, a few months before the PlayStation 4 is no co-incidence. The PS3 has had a good run, but developers have finally reached the limit with the quality of gaming they can produce, but what a way to finish.

The Last of Us is set in

The Last of Us is set in the U.S.A. after the cordyceps infection has ravaged the human race, turning humans into vicious, aggressive, almost rabid-like creatures. The game follows the story of Joel, as he attempts to smuggle Ellie, who is immune to the disease, across the country to safety, with plenty of surprises on the way (I'm being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers). The plot almost resembles a movie script rather than a video game; you'll understand if you've played the game. The ending (again without giving away any plot details) brilliantly leaves the plot open for a sequel; Sony also recently registered domain names relating to The Last of Us 2 and The Last of Us 3 read into that what you will.

Whilst technically a linear game, The Last of Us is probably as close to an open-world game as a linear can be; exploration, strategy and resources play a key part in the game. The combat system in The Last of Us is probably as a real a combat experience as you will get on a video game. Much like real-life, resources are very limited and weapons are very powerful. You can't simply hide from enemies and wait for your health to regenerate, instead the player must use health packs, which can be either acquired or created by the player using resources.

The player can use a variety of firearms in the game, ranging from pistols, to shotguns, to hunting rifles. As ammunition is hard to come by, as in reality, players are often better off using melee weapons, such as baseball bats and planks of wood. Both firearms and melee weapons can be upgraded using parts (a resource which can be found).

Resources are one of the most important aspects of The Last of Us, the player can use them as weapons, ammunition, to distract enemies, replenish their health, upgrade weapons or to access certain areas. Resources such as health packs can also be created by crafting raw materials collected by the player.

The player also has the ability to upgrade weapons using collectable tools, and the opportunity to upgrade their character by collecting bottles of pills.

Whilst it's clear that Naughty Dog focused on the single-play, they have included a multiplayer element as well. Like other Naughty Dog games, it's relatively poor compared to the single-player, but The Last of Us' multiplayer, known as Factions, is a good attempt. The multiplayer takes place in the same environment as the game. Players choose one of two Factions, Fireflies (in yellow) and Hunters (in blue). There are no special abilities which are unique to any faction. The player leads a clan of survivors through 12 weeks, gathering supplies in order to advance the clan. Each match counts as one day, and supplies must be gathered to supply the clan; if the necessary supplies aren't gathered then clan members will begin to get hungry, get ill or die. Clan members can then be healed by reaching the required numbers of supplies. The Factions game mode can also be linked to Facebook.

To sum it up, The Last of Us will be, in my opinion, the best PS3 exclusive you will ever play, and possibly the best game you'll ever play on PS3 (the only real game that could compete with it is Grand Theft Auto V). The plot will keep you entertained for hours, and probably more.
  60. Jan 7, 2014
    My favourite single player game of all time.

The story was incredibly addictive, made me never want to put my controller down, and like a good book, I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't playing it.

If you play one game in your lifetime, make it this game.
  61. Jan 15, 2014
    It's true, in my opinion, that it doesn't live up to the hype. But that doesn't stop it from being a complete pleasure to play. I would have awarded it more points, but the story (whilst being very strong) didn't resonate with me on the emotional level I really wanted. Yet stunning visuals and fun gameplay easily make it one of the best games of 2013
  62. Jan 15, 2014
    This is the best game ever made since Final Fantasy VII IMO. This should be GOTY and this is top 5 game of all time in my top 10 list !!!. GTA V is overrated and this game is way better.
  63. Jan 16, 2014
    Not for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despairNot for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despair through every moment.

The combat is fantastic and is an example for all 3rd person shooters. Fantastic mechanics, good cover system, and endless possibilities in terms of taking on enemies. The gameplay feels so natural, it is often panic-inducing.

As if the story isn't worth the price tag, the multiplayer is endlessly entertaining. Unlike run-of-the-mill multiplayer experiences (COD for example), this requires teamwork and smart use of resources. It can be a little overwhelming at first. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but after getting acquainted with the single player, it becomes second nature. I tend to burnout on games after 10 hours or so, but The Last of Us is an exception.

Graphics are A+. Can't say anything more.

If you enjoy intense gaming experiences and want something that will stick with you, play this NOW.
  64. Jan 25, 2014
    Mine think its the best game ever my life what i have ever played, i have played in pc many years, now i got ps3 and when i get hands on The Last Of Us its just looks phenomenal, it's masterpiece. I finished game two days ago and in end i realized, how can be game that awesome all if this game is so perfect and beautiful. Mine think its yes the best game ever, seriously.

NaughtyDog has

NaughtyDog has made excellent work agin. I thinking do purchase Post-Pandemic Edition or Survival Edition, probably Survival one. If this game self even cost 300€ i will definitely buy that without think about that. Thants are mine rating of that game.

Also i have allready pre-orded Left Behind SP DLC, cannot wait when 14 come :P
    So now if i see rating overall that game ign/gamespot/eurogamer all give max points.

The Last Of Us - Masterpiece Art of game.
  65. Feb 20, 2014
    Personally I think journey is the best game ever but TLoU comes second and still gets a 10. There were some flaws in the game - invisible sniper anyone???? and there were so many instances where i lost immersion, like ellie and the clickers and how in the ending the game got super hard... ND you should know better!!!!

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of stone. I cried more in the game than in the last harry potter book! People who say games are only for kids or to waste time are stoopid! and should play this game cause they'll realize their backwards views are wrong.

Now i want ND to make a new ip every four years i'm sick of stupid sequels. People read masterpiece books so shouldn't people play masterpiece games over and over???? Think about it.

But anyway obvious goty and snobs who say "OMG isn't on PC" dont deserve to play this masterpiece.
  66. Feb 25, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. Great visuals, great game play value and amazing story line. This also came with one of the best single player D.L.C updates. Would recommend this game to everyone, except twitch shooter junkies and Facebook game players. If you are exempt from these two, and have an intelligence level higher than 50.I.q. then you will love this game.
  67. Feb 27, 2014
    The last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gamingThe last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gaming can be an art form. this is a truly remarkable game. It deserves all the plaudits because it truly is the Greatest game ever made. This game will be remembered for a long long time Expand
  68. May 27, 2014
    First off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I'veFirst off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played, and the way it is presented is second to none. The characters all have distinct personalities and are well developed. The dialogue is great and so are the voice actors that deliver it. The atmosphere really does feel like a post apocalyptic future. The graphics are some of the best ever (on consoles) even though the color pallet looks like the game ate Fallout 3 then spit it out and added vines everywhere. With all this having been said, I have zero idea how anybody can think this game is a masterpiece or anywhere close. The gameplay (you know the point of playing a video game) is so lackluster, and the game is not well designed. The game tries to be a stealth-action survival horror game except it meets none of those genre's criteria well. It would have been great had the areas flowed together coherently but anywhere that there are enemies is basically an arena of conveniently placed boxes (much like another stealth-action game it tries so hard but fails to be, Metal Gear Solid) And really Naughty Dog? With the oil tankers full of money that Sony gave you to make this game, you couldn't spring for more than one stealth choking animation or 5 skins of enemy characters? It fails on the survival horror front because you are always being presented with bullets and medpacks and whatever you need because the game was made for casuals. The crafting makes no sense as Rag+Alcohol apparently = bandage. The "puzzles" consist of moving a latter from one place to another. Thrilling. By far the worst part of the game is the AI. All the AI in the game is broken. Enemy AI is completely inept on even the highest difficulty and your partner AI? God help me. Having bad enemy AI is enough to break any stealth game, but bad partner AI too? Might as well kill yourself. If you want to play a third person survival horror zombie game with bad partner AI and stiff controls then play Resident evil 4, a far superior game. The game is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types to fight against. The gameplay itself is slightly above average, yet the game has garnered 9's and 10's on almost every major site, presumably based on story alone. Well I'm sorry but the fact is that I will never give a video game a 9 or a 10 based on story alone. What even qualifies as a game anymore? If I rendered Terminator 2 in video game cutscenes and let you press a button every 10 minutes to choose what one liner Arnold says would that be a 10/10 flawless masterpiece of a game? I'm not saying that this is what the last of us is like, but its not far off. Everything is so linear and all the exciting things happen in cutscenes that happen every 5 minutes. If I wanted to play a mediocre stealth game in between watching a decent zombie movie, I would watch Shaun of the Dead and pause every ten minutes to play Alpha Protocol. Since when has it been ok for a VIDEO GAME to be called a masterpiece when the gameplay is average at best? You'd would think that with the way video game technology has progressed that developers would give us bigger worlds to explore with better AI and more depth, but nope, they're using it to make games like movies. This brings me to my next point which is, in a video game this story is amazing, but as a movie, this story is average and cliche at best. There are other games that have good stories that aren't a boring chore to play through and that actually add something to the respective genre that they're in. The last of us is by no means a bad game, but it is only a slightly above average game that brings nothing new or interesting to the Stealth action or Survival horror genres, and is made very good by its story and characters (even if they all swear like they just got off the USS Saratoga) Expand
  69. Mar 5, 2014
    This will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS asThis will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS as opposed to not actually liking the game itself. The story was actually better than most blockbuster movies you would see these days. If you liked other Naughty Dog titles like Uncharted then you'll love this game. However if you don't usually play anything outside of COD and combat is way more important to you than story/visuals then this may not be for you. Personally I loved it. Expand
  70. Mar 14, 2014
    The Last Of Us is a true gaming marvel. It achieves the pinnacle of story telling along with a fantastic combat system. The game may have a few bugs, like when you're sneaking around infected or hunters, your companions might walk right in front of them or run around the place and not get detected.

I believe this game is at it's best when Joel an Ellie are battling with hunters and covering on another. A moment that made me smile was when I was out of ammo in my guns, Ellie shouted out "Hey, a**hole!" and then threw a brick at him allowing me to run at him and smash his head against the wall.

Naughty Dog have really outdone themselves once again. Even with Uncharted, I got bored of the combat eventually, because it just felt like I was being forced through these repetitive combat sequences to get to the next cut scene. But with The Last Of Us, I didn't feel this was whatsoever. I enjoyed the combat system because it felt fluid and realistic. Every punch of your fist or smack of a metal pipe felt like it had weight to it. I especially liked how after getting shot or hit in the face, Joel's nose or other part of his face might be bleeding.

Each combat (or stealth) sequence also felt unique. Different areas allow for different strategies, will I go up on that balcony and get a vantage point, or will I just sneak by and avoid a confrontation entirely. These are the choices that give this game a feeling of originality.

The Last Of Us is one of the defining game of every generation, it blends immersive combat with a truly great story about a middle aged man and a teenage girl crossing the United States of America which has been desolated by an infection.
  71. Mar 15, 2014
    GOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources areGOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources are scarce, Ellie is a good partner, got to play as Ellie, fun multiplayer in which you also have to be cautious, one of the creepiest boss battles ever, and a nice ending

BAD: capped at 720P, I did not have the need to get every single collectible

FINAL VERDICT: Games like this makes people think why we need a new console generation every 7 years. The Last Of Us is easily the best Sony exclusive ever made and one of the top 10 best games ever.
    Worth $60 dollars and worth buying a PS3 just to play it. This game should be played by everyone single gamer.
  72. Mar 16, 2014
    It's hard to find words that can describe this game, but all i can say is wow. This game is pure brilliant and by far the best game that i have ever played. If you are thinking of getting this game - do. I can't recommend it enough and you will not regret buying it.
  73. Mar 18, 2014
    I bought my PS3 for GTA V. During the waiting period (for its release) I went into a game store where I found some PS3 games. I looked at The Last of Us, having never seen it before, and I liked the cover art, so I figured, why the heck not. Take a chance, I thought. I bought it. And it was one of the best decisions in my life.

I completed the game three times already and I'm ready to

I completed the game three times already and I'm ready to begin playing it for the fourth time. This game is the definition of addiction. I can't get enough of the excellent story, interesting world and remarkable characters this game is offering. Joel and Ellie are absolutely great. Ellie is actually my favourite game character ever. And I played a lot of games, trust me.

The soundtrack is, in my opinion, one of the best game soundtracks ever. The songs composed by Gustavo Santaolalla are absolutely touching and will remain in your head long after finishing the game. In my case, I think they'll always remain in my head. It's true art.

This is the only game which I rated 7/7 in my personal notebook (yes, I rate games out of 7, don't ask!). Out of hundreds and hundreds of games this one just got me good. So if you are considering buying it... if you like great story, great gameplay, great atmosphere, great characters, great music, great visuals, do it. You won't regret it. I swear.

So in the end I liked The Last of Us better than GTA V, the game which I bought my console for.

Thank you Naughty Dog for creating this masterpiece.
    Patrick
  74. Mar 30, 2014
    What hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all theWhat hasn't been said about this game that hasn't already been said. This game is a masterpiece, a stroke of pure genius from Naughty Dog. From the story to the multiplayer, there is no excuse not to play this game. Its a force of nature. The story is unforgivingly tragic and straight forward, unlike most games on the market. The performances are Oscar worthy and deserve nearly all the praise it's been getting. The multiplayer is fantastic and is a breath of fresh air for Battlefield or CoD fans. If you own a PS3, there is no reason that you shouldn't buy this game, it's a masterpiece. Expand
  75. Mar 23, 2014
    If I could give this game an 11 out of 10 then I would. In terms of graphics, story, gameplay and mechanics this masterpiece is lightyears ahead of anything out there at the moment. Currently on my 7th playthrough and it hasn't lost one bit of thrill. An absolute must buy if you have a PS3. If you do have a PS3 and not this game then WHAT ARE YOU DOING !!!???
  76. Mar 26, 2014
    Perfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on thatPerfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on that system, but it does. Expand
  77. Mar 24, 2014
    Naughty Dog did it again. They created an awesome game with an awesome storyline, awesome movements, awesome and scary enemies and of course awesome scenarios and graphics. This game is the best.
  78. Mar 28, 2014
    Easily the best game of 2013. The story is one of the most emotional ones out there, the graphics are amazing and the fact it's running on old hardware is also amazing. The multiplayer is good which you usually in single-player based games there bad. If you don't own a ps3 this is a good reason to get one.
  79. Apr 11, 2014
    If you have a PS3 and do not have this masterpiece, I absolutely advise you to... A. Purchase this game now on PS3. or B. Buy this game for PS4 when it releases near summer of this year.

I cannot tell you anything else besides the fact that this game has everything: < Next-gen looking graphics < An amazing story that makes you cry and smile and laugh with Joel and Ellie because you

I cannot tell you anything else besides the fact that this game has everything:
    < Next-gen looking graphics
    < An amazing story that makes you cry and smile and laugh with Joel and Ellie because you feel emotionally attached to them
    < Fluid and intense gameplay
    < Great atmosphere and level design
    < And much more...

GOTY 2013 for me absolutely.
  80. May 20, 2014
    A true masterpiece, a generation defining game, and one of the best games you'll ever get to play.
    The Last Of Us is the culmination of the seventh generation of consoles and one of the best games ever made in history, it's amazing story makes you get attached to Ellie and Joel in a way that you just can't imagine, and it has some of the most engaging and realistic gameplay a game has ever had.

In 25 years from now it will still be played and remembered as a cult video game like no other.
  81. Apr 23, 2014
    Absolutely superb. Fantastic, emotional and engaging story. Very smooth combat with smart enemies so you have to think on your plan of attack. Graphics are mindblowing with very detailed and realistic looking characters and environments. Overall I believe that this is one of the best games of all time. 10/10
  82. May 21, 2014
    Yeah, the story is "good" by today's standards, when it doesn't creep along at a snails pace, which is often, but the gameplay is pretty average and there are a lot of bugs and mediocre stealth gameplay.
  83. May 22, 2014
    What makes this a Naughty Dog game and not simply a retread is the studio's use of actors, music, environments, characters, and gameplay. Everything here flows together beautifully much like the paintings of Leonardo da Vinci.
  84. Jul 15, 2014
    It astonishes me with amount of people who dislike this game. Although, I can agree it's not for everyone, it's still a fantastic game.

The gameplay is simple, but it has a lot of variety and allows different ways to approach levels. You can sneak past while throwing a bottle or brick to distract your enemies, or you can run through the level shooting and beating the crap out of enemies. Yes, its not like Metal Gear or Deus Ex, but that's because it's not supposed to be.

The Last Of Us has a simple, yet effective story with beautiful and immerse levels. You play as Joel. He'sin his early forties (or so I estimated) twenty years after the apocalypse started. You are then given your objective with escorting Ellie through a run down city. Simple. I know, but as you progress the story becomes more of a more human and emotional story.

Voice acting is superb. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson play the characters of Joel and Ellie quite well.

The multiplayer is definitely amazing. It takes all the in game elements of the single player, and adds it to the multiplayer. Note that teamwork is key to survival.

In conclusion The Last Of Us is a beautifully, immerse game, with superb characters, fun gameplay, and a emotional tale told well. It's not for everybody, but if you're a fan of Naughty Dog, then you'll love this masterpiece. Also you can skip cut-scenes if they aren't for you.
  85. Jul 18, 2014
    Played it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds thatPlayed it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds that the writer had no input from someone with medical/molecular biology background making for instance the vaccine subtheme unreasonable. Sure, many player might not notice these problems. Regarding the story and gameplay would have wanted less linearity and more choices. Ah yes, and the followers (e.g. Ellie if playing as Joel) often gave too many hints IMHO. The best moments were when for one or another reason you had no followers and multiple choices to solve a situation. These moments were actually enjoyable. Expand
  86. Oct 9, 2014
    So then there was my review of the last of us. Completed twice got on release date and i almost regret it. For me this game is overrated i cannot see how this got higher then 8,5 max . You play as Joel in a post apocalyptic universe. And you task is to escort a girl named Ellie trough the US and find the fireflies. For me the overall story is one of naughty dog worst stories. And i haveSo then there was my review of the last of us. Completed twice got on release date and i almost regret it. For me this game is overrated i cannot see how this got higher then 8,5 max . You play as Joel in a post apocalyptic universe. And you task is to escort a girl named Ellie trough the US and find the fireflies. For me the overall story is one of naughty dog worst stories. And i have played all three uncharted games and jak and daxter games and some Crash Bandicoot. The story is bad, the characters development is however one of the few good points in this game. The game play is solid and the atmosphere is good. But what makes this games so bad for me was 1) it did not feel like a survival game , you had always enough ammo if you simply searched around, and it definitely did not feel like a horror game, The genre is action-adventure survival horror , and while i in some extent agree with survival i dont agree with horror. The game is very short , took me not more then 12 hrs to complete if not less, and you have actually no point to play it through more then once certainly not more then twice. So for me the cons was replay-abilities and that it didnt live up to my expectations perhaps is was because that the genre it was meant to be, and Joel somehow reminds me of Nathan Drake. The game play didnt do somethings new and the ai was pretty predictable is most cases , so i fell i can max give it a 7.2 Expand
  87. Sep 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is a game that many people claim to be one of the greatest games in history based almost solely on a singular aspect of it -- its story. When you get down to it though, even the story is nothing that we haven't seen before, and does nothing to drastically change the landscape of future games. In other words, despite being a good and enjoyable game, it is not a "masterpiece."The Last of Us is a game that many people claim to be one of the greatest games in history based almost solely on a singular aspect of it -- its story. When you get down to it though, even the story is nothing that we haven't seen before, and does nothing to drastically change the landscape of future games. In other words, despite being a good and enjoyable game, it is not a "masterpiece." 10 years down the road, when people really take the time to think about what this game did for the video game industry, they will realize that it is not as glorious or revolutionary as the often-times polarized user reviews would say. Sure, it had a good story with some brilliant voice acting. Sure it had decent combat mechanics and great visuals. But did it do anything that we haven't seen before? Sadly, it did not. We've seen great voice performances in video games before. We've seen post apocalyptic survival (dare I say, "zombie") games with good stories before. We've seen great graphics before. Despite its good characteristics, this game did not provide any experience that made it dominate the other great games of the generation.

With all that being said, I am not trying to "bash" or "hate" on this game. Rather, I am trying to give a realistic representation of the experience that any casual, hardcore, or average gamer who has not played this game before can expect. Do not go into this game thinking that it will change your life - it won't. You will, however enjoy it for what it's worth.
  88. Nov 22, 2014
    It was a bit strange. I started the game on and it was Uncharted. I played through it, and it was nothing like Uncharted. It was a game world I wanted to be in (not literally of course). But while I was playing it, I felt like I was there. It hit home with me - the world, the characters, the places, the enemies... I was missing such gaming qualities for so many years and I was able toIt was a bit strange. I started the game on and it was Uncharted. I played through it, and it was nothing like Uncharted. It was a game world I wanted to be in (not literally of course). But while I was playing it, I felt like I was there. It hit home with me - the world, the characters, the places, the enemies... I was missing such gaming qualities for so many years and I was able to realized that just now.
    For me, though, the first few hours wasn't very good. Somewhere in the 30% progress in the game, I was thinking about abandoning it as I was not even hooked and mostly annoyed... Am I a thankful I didn't. Not quite sure what exactly did it, but being on the verge of hating the game, I was subconsciously starting to fall in love with it. And there are some other games I would give 10/10, but this one, in addition, is something quite special. And I do miss it quite a lot.
  89. Nov 22, 2014
    A true masterpiece on every level. Great story, wonderful characters, perfect voice acting, intense combat, fun multiplayer, beautiful graphics, difficult enemies, etc. etc. There is so much this game does good that it is hard to find any flaws in a otherwise perfect game. It is a game that will be remembered and played for generations. This game isn't for everyone though, so if you can'tA true masterpiece on every level. Great story, wonderful characters, perfect voice acting, intense combat, fun multiplayer, beautiful graphics, difficult enemies, etc. etc. There is so much this game does good that it is hard to find any flaws in a otherwise perfect game. It is a game that will be remembered and played for generations. This game isn't for everyone though, so if you can't appreciate a game focusing on story rather then gameplay then this isn't for you. Expand
  90. Nov 19, 2014
    If you own a ps3. You NEED this game. The replay value is questionable, online multiplayer is usually fun, but has some network connection flaws. The game itself is perfectly crafted.
  91. Nov 21, 2014
    this game is amazing it succeeds in every aspect possible (graphics,sound,story,gameplay,etc). the story is great and the characters and voice acting are among the best i have ever seen in a videogame. if you own a ps3 or ps4 you have to buy this game is the best seventh generation game and currently the best game in the eight generation
  92. Dec 23, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. For starters, this game is OK, but not good enough to justify a 60 usd buy.

Ellie is greatly made and lively, but the rest, specially Joel, are pretty bland and predictable. The plot has it's ups and downs, more downs to me than ups. The script forces the player to make only one decision (like when you have to pass the hunter's barracade on chapter six, I tried to pass stealthly, and there was NO WAY to pass it, if I didn't kill every hunter, just because a cutscene needed to be triggered, or the ending itself), making the game pretty narrow. Also, the story tries so hard to slap you in the face that has realistic characters and plotline, and falls short with some Deux ex machina, like when Joel JUST HAPPENED to wake up to rescue Ellie, being kidnapped by the hunters.
    Also, i felt the story and storywriter was laughing at me when the last part of the game starts. The investigations tend to "support" the desitions of the fireflys to, litteraly, disect Ellie's brain to produce a "cure", killing her on the process saying that no samples could last (that's a first insult to the intelect of the player), yet also investigations allegate that scientists couldn't recreate a monkey specimen to produce that inmunology, so they didn't know what where they doing, so basicly they are killing the ONLY SHOT they have to save humanity to make something they don't know if it is going to work (because, SCIENCE!), just to trigger Joel to kill everyone, despite he wanted to dump Ellie 3 times and just bounded on the last part, letting you understand that He sees Ellie like a new daughter (was SO notorious to me that was a plot resource, that not only felt insulted again, but too bland and obvious, letting me see that this game was completly artificial, crushing one of the selling points of the game). That last part, literally, ruined most of the game for me, letting a sour taste, and a "avant garde" ending that felt more like a final insult.
    Despite that, there are moments that are really great, on the notes and the sidestories you could only read (the notes of Ish are not only really eerie, but really lively)
    The gameplay is, really, pretty standard, but overall well made. The shooting mechanics feels ok, and most of the time the game feels that you are in control. Yet, I have my complains, like stealth mechanics, as I said before, feel broken. Sometimes almost made it too easy, feeling like a gost to some clickers, and then other times, like on the graveyard, felt that those clickers triggered over nothing.
    The crafting and upgrade system is well made. Nothing too revolutionary, but well implemented.
    There are a lot of one-hit deaths, specially with clickers. I never stop feeling that they where just cheap deaths to make the game longer, and not a difficulty issue. Also other enemies are just braindead (despite of some literally being braindead), making this game being easy, with some peaks in certain parts of the game, which most of those parts, you don't have alternative to kill it, what a surprise.
    Also, this game really likes you to move stuff to transport Ellie to point A to B, making a this an escort game, but is not as annoying as other games are, but not defintly on the level of Alex from HL2.
    The graphics are great... for a PS3. Being a PC gamer, this game wasn't exactly eye candy, but the design, and some details and enviorments, are goregous, and in fact too gourgous that is easy to get lost.
    The level desing was hit and miss. The game tries too hard to make you feel that you are in a wide world, that is full of life, but is plaged with unreasonable walls, and felt really narrow. Also, sometimes it wasn't clear what you are capable to go or where you have to go, and in the end, the game only wants you to kill everyone on place.

Despite of some details, this game is not really bad, despite I almost spent writing on the negative side, but not really a "BEST GAME OF ALL TIME" for me. May be I was too hyped and overshoot my spectations, and made me really dissappointed that some details are so well made, and the most part are just average, and even bad sometimes.

I really think this game will be dated in a couple of years, like happened wit Perfect dark, Chrono Cross and some more.
  93. Mar 6, 2015
    the game filled with good stuff and overall looks great but when I look at the game as a whole I just dont like it.

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high? or maybe I just got sick of all the other stealth apocalypse horror survival games? The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie

maybe I just got too hyped and my anticipation were too high?

The game is full of beautiful cutsences. well, maybe there's too mcuh of those, which makes it feel like a long movie rather then a game.

It seems like they worn off uncharted to make it more stealth like but at the half way through decided to eventually drop this idea too.
    There are a lots of elements to the game like crafting and exploring, but neither of them feels satisfying or extraordinary.

5 is exactly in the middle of 0-10, and I could not describe it any better - its just an average game.
    I would even give it less, because of the problem with the too many cutsences, or the generacity of the story, but the fact thats its pretty polished and made with high quality im giving it extra points.
  94. Feb 6, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game and great storyline. Unfortunately, one of the programmers probably either quit or catched a flu so his 4 year old son had to take over.

Because i cant think of any other reason why they made a great game and screwed up badly at the restaurantfight with Ellie. Apparently they ran out of inspiration on how to create a decent and balanced "bossfight" and just decided "hey, since i cant be arsed to write a decent AI for this fight, so lets just give the boss unlimited ammo, a wallhack so he can see through walls and let him just run and move without being visible when Ellie is listening.
    I played this part of the game several times to test and no matter where you hide, that guy just "by coincidence" knows exactly where you are and no matter where in the restaurant he is, he walks straight towards your hiding place.

It makes playing this part of the game as joyfull as playing COD with several wallhackers/aimbots.

Too bad because the rest of the game is very good and addictive (except from a few rediculous glitches that is)
  95. Jun 18, 2013
    A must have if you own a PS3. 9.5/10
    A must have if you own a PS3. 9.5/10
    One of the best games I have ever played but for a game to be given a 10/10, it must be completely flawless. When the AI (Tess, Ellie etc) are sprinting around when you're trying to be sneaky, running into clickers and runners it kind of takes away from the immersion, this is the only thing I dislike about this game. If Metacritic allowed 0.5 ratings I would have given it a 9.5 because this otherwise major flaw is tiny in comparison to the beautiful world you are thrown in to as you watch the relationship between Ellie and Joel develop. Absolutely beautiful game.
  96. Jun 25, 2013
    SPOILER FREE If you don't own a PS3 i would buy one just for this game alone its the best game this generation has to offer. The graphics a superb beyond anything i have seen so far on PS3 the story is gripping and intense it really draws you in from start to finish, the characters are believable and the voice acting is amazing a lot of hard work has gone into this game and you can tell.SPOILER FREE If you don't own a PS3 i would buy one just for this game alone its the best game this generation has to offer. The graphics a superb beyond anything i have seen so far on PS3 the story is gripping and intense it really draws you in from start to finish, the characters are believable and the voice acting is amazing a lot of hard work has gone into this game and you can tell. The only thing i can find pick fault at is the girl Ellie that accompany's you through the whole game can block the way for you if your wanting to go through a door or up stairs est. Also the multi-player isn't bad but the single player is big and long enough so the multi-player doesn't really matter. All in all The Last Of Us is a great game i just hope its not The Last we hear of them. Expand
  97. ERB
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a good game and an interesting story.
  98. Jun 17, 2013
    Naughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in meNaughty Dog hit this one out of the park. Absolutely stunning. I have rarely experienced a video game that was so....satisfying. With an emotional, 20 minute introduction this game stole my heart and refused to let go. I laughed, I cried, I got angry, I got scared, I panicked, I loved and I hated. It was a of emotions that went out with a bang; the effects of the ending linger in me still.

Right from the beginning it is apparent how much work went into this masterpiece. Every area, every object and every character is rendered in exquisite detail. Small things like a reflection in a glossy portrait to a bandage you freshly placed on a wounded body all add up to an experience that feels ultimately...real. You feel the desperation of this broken world .

To complement this you are given, in true Naughty Dog fashion, an amazing cast of characters. Every character is unique with his or her own circumstances. You come to like character and hate them almost immediately. Joel and Ellie in particular portray a natural chemistry that you rarely see even in cinema. Ashley Johnson's performance of Ellie sinks it home, showing you just how amazing mo-cap can be.

Almost overshadowing these strong points is a breathtaking score by Gustavo Santaolalla. Naughty Dog could not have picked a better composer. Gustavo's acoustic guitar chills you to the bone and each track is ultimate crafted to deliver each scene perfectly. The sound effects as well help blur the lines between reality and fantasy. The clicking sounds of a Clicker serves as an awesome example of small sound effects causing real emotion. You will panic. A lot.

Overall it is just really difficult to put words into what this game makes you feel. If you have a PS3 and have not played this game, you are doing yourself a disservice. Even if it doesn't affect you the same way it has me there is no denying the experience being worthwhile. Do it.
  99. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played, up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1,3,4 Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog devs dont mess around and they really take their job very serious, everything about this game excels in production value.

A very touching story that kept me caring for the 2 main characters, I really was able to feel what they were going thru, the immersion on this game is phenomenal, thanks to the state of the art graphics, motion capture, art direction, gameplay mechanics and story driven run through a post apocalyptic US.

The visceral action although very violent, never over the top, perfectly balance as it should be in the real world, without dragging it too much into reality. You really feel the tension with each encounter. The tension doesnt stop there of course, the fact that you really have to preserve ammo and make every shot count is and awesome game design decision. It forces you to explore, and really use strategic approaches to every situation, do you take down every one using stealth, do you avoid the confrontation and sneak past them, or do you go gun blazing. Either way you choose you will have to play smart and keep all your weapons loaded at all times, a split second can really mean the difference between dying or surviving.

So much more to say about this game, but I would have to write a 10 page essay for that, in short The Last Of Us is a game we only get once every generation, the quality of the story, gameplay and graphics are superb, if youre a fan of stealth, action, survival, story driven games, this is the one for you.
  100. Jun 28, 2013
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)
    UNBIASED REVIEW HERE --
    (unlike the other rare hateful posts here)

This game was spectacular. I have not play The Walking Dead, but from what I've heard the two are very similar in the ways they present their story. After saying that, play this game on hard if you want the true survival feel which I believe this game needs to truly make an impact on the player. I normally don't get immersed in too many games' stories, but by playing this game on hard I found it really threw me into the game's atmosphere.

Story: 10
    Yes the story progresses slowly at first, it doesn't throw you into the action like a Call of Duty or Resident Evil game and that is a very good thing. This does not mean that the game's story is slow throughout, because it is not. The games story progresses at the perfect pace for a game such as this. The attachment you feel to the characters is perfect, and that is all I can say without dropping spoilers, but there are numerous times where you really feel for the characters.

Environment: 10
    The world of The Last of Us is almost a character of itself. The city sort of reclaiming itself after humanity has been removed is beautifully done. The game does not throw you into endless dark rooms with scary lighting just to impose forced horror elements, it actually presents a beautiful city that has its dark moments areas. When you talk through parts of the city and you see hints of civilization that used to be there, it really hits home that this is a post apocalyptic type environment. The city is beautiful amid all of the chaos and destruction.

Combat: 9
    The only reason I'm giving the combat a 9 and not a 10, is because at some points you feel as though you are going through the motions of eliminating the infected as you would normally eliminate them. I can't even provide a way for them to improve upon it, it just felt like it was missing something and I can't put my finger on what that would be.

Soundtrack: 10
    The minimalistic soundtrack to this game with the subtle guitar riffs was absolutely perfect. There isn't really much else I can say about it, because its just perfect.

Graphics: 9
    Yes, this game's graphics are good for PS3 standards. However while playing the game it becomes relatively evident that the PS3 is coming up on being six and a half years old. That is not saying the engine is bad, the lighting is phenomenal, the game engine is great, but there are times where the graphics have some odd noticeable outdated issues. Maybe its because this game came out after E3 and all the new flashy graphics games coming out.

In conclusion, I was honestly not a huge fan of the Uncharted series because it really just felt like Tomb Raider with more combat so I'm not jumping on the Naughty Dog bandwagon here. Capcom went on record saying the survival horror franchise was a dying game concept. Coming from an avid player of the survival horror franchise games, this game redefined the survival horror experience in an entirely new light for me and sort of says "your move capcom".
  101. Jun 15, 2013
    Start this game on Hard mode. It's the right amount of difficulty to make the game enjoyable. This review comes from the perspective of someone who paid no attention to hype. I have to say that it's fun and immersive. I was afraid of cheesiness from the acting and script but i find the story to be good and the characters to be likable. I admire the pacing. Although it is kind of sequentialStart this game on Hard mode. It's the right amount of difficulty to make the game enjoyable. This review comes from the perspective of someone who paid no attention to hype. I have to say that it's fun and immersive. I was afraid of cheesiness from the acting and script but i find the story to be good and the characters to be likable. I admire the pacing. Although it is kind of sequential ie. battle..traverse the land..encounter next battle etc. The game manages to keep the experience fresh throughout by putting you in different situations that are tense and challenging. I have died a lot and have had to take a breath to re-think my way through certain areas. The rules are inflexible throughout and it's hard to cut corners in battle. The rules are simple but deep enough to make it fun all around. I admire the way it stays fresh when applying this rule-set to the different curveballs these situations throw at you. Combat is generally simple, but it's how the game feels when executing your commands that give these mechanics weight. Punching is pressing the square button, but if you punch a dude too early, or from the wrong angle or distance, he can catch you slipping and it's painful to get punished! The animations are dynamic and realistic. The physics make it so all of the damage taken or given is intense and satisfying. There is always a weight to the execution of your actions. Aiming and reloading is tense because the reticle isn't steady and reloading takes time. Here's a tip: Always try to aim, keep the thumb on that left stick and maneuver it the whole time the enemy is in your sights. Also If you're reloading you can still run using the L2 button. The game is brutal in a fitting manner. There is a lot of creativity at work to the tiniest details. The way things react when you blast them with a shotgun, or punching an enemy in the face 4 times hard and they knock over and die! Even the way it feels when a dude whacks you with a lead pipe and you collapse to the floor and die. A lot of "oooohhh daamn!" type of comments coming through our mouths. Too many other details to write about! Everything is cohesive in this world. The different enemy types are no push-overs aside from the start of the game when the AI isn't as clever. After you warm up to to the mechanics, the game will no longer hold your hand. The game is as fun to watch as it is to play. If you have a group of buddies, take turns and have some beers. You'll cheer each other on trying to get through the difficult parts. My friends and i have been yelling and laughing and having a really good time with this game! Definitely play it if you can! I give this a 9.7. I really dont know what could be improved mechanically but there are some graphical glitches here and there. No biggie. I feel like a can keep writing but I'll stop here. Just Play it Collapse

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]