• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Aug 2, 2013
    The Last of Us 10/10.................................................................................................................................
  2. Jun 24, 2013
    There is one really annoying flaw with this game. Whenever you are trying to stealthily hide behind objects to remain obscured from the antagonists, Ellie runs around right in front of them undected! Another flaw is that when Joel has a gun equipped and goes for his melee weapon the gun vanishes into thin air which is stupid. Ok so there is the bad. Everything other than that more than makes up for those flaws. This game has a great story. It is very engaging and paced along superbly. The characters are cool. The weapon system is easy and fun to use. There are some genuine scares. PLEASE NAUGHTY DOG....THE LAST OF US 2!!!!! Expand
  3. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is just amazing. Multiplayer is amazing, Single Player is great. I can't believe the user rate was 8.8 it should be at least 9.4 IMHO. BUY THIS GAME!!!
  4. Jun 19, 2013
    Great story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and that was within ten minutes after starting the game. Lots of great heart-pumping action and unexpected twists of varying sizes that help to really spice things up, because just when you think it's going one way it goes another.

My cons/gripes: shooting in this game could use some improvement. Gameplay is still rough around the edges too.. And the AI in terms of enemies and your allies, while often great, is sometimes erratic and unrealistic in that sometimes while sneaking around my ally would be all up in the enemy's face and neither one would do anything as if they didn't see each other even though they were right in front of one another.

All in all, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME.
  5. Jun 25, 2013
    This game made me cry more than 25 times. The story is epic, the gameplay is incredibly good (probably the best one I have ever seen), the graphics are realistic just like the real life would look, and the characters are very interesting and don't give you headaches. Please, make Naughty Dog (the developer) a favor and go buy this game, or in a year or more than a month, you will be crying for not getting this game (unless you never knew about it). Expand
  6. Jun 25, 2013
    A true work of art. With superb graphics, gameplay, story and characters, this amazing game blows me away at every level. This game probably didn't deserve a full 10(thanks to the bugs), but between 10 and 9 i go with ten. If I had more choice, I would give the game a 9.9

SPOILERS________________________________________________________________________

I now want to discuss the
    ending. Sparking controversy, the ending showed Joel "stealing" Ellie away and straight up lying to her face. I personaly think that the ending was perfect. It showed the damage of Joel's expirience a lot of depth. It was a fitting ending to a superb game! Expand
  7. Jun 18, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterfully crafted work. The story is not about the cross country journey, it is not about the world that the infection has created, its about people. Nowhere have I seen better writing in terms of believable dialogue and character interaction before. To those who have played Uncharted, and are thus doubtful about the constant 10s, rest assured it is a vastly different feeling. Where uncharted had serious dissonance between the violent and cold blooded Drake and the wacky and charming Drake, The Last of Us informs all of the play through characterization. All of the violence is brutal and harsh, and the game responds to that. It is a tale that only a game could tell, building an admittedly obvious plot into a 17 hour emotional narrative. the game has its moments of intensity, and then falls back into thorough scavenging, a slow walk through exquisitely detailed houses and towns. The flow is finely tuned to perfection, and leaves the player engrossed in the story. In total, The Last of Us is a work of art, one that anyone who enjoys a strong emotional experience should play. Expand
  8. Jun 17, 2013
    There's no words to describe how masterfully crafted this game is; starting from the graphic to the perfect cinematographic cut, the immersive sound, the beautiful story, the engaging characters, everything about The Last of Us screams quality and emotions. An absolute MASTERPIECE.
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best games I have had the honor to play. With the beautiful environment and relationship between Joel and Ellie, the intense gameplay, the enjoyable combat and the depressing and emotional story of Joel and Ellie this game would have to be one of the best games of the console generation. Probably one of the best games of all time.
  10. Jun 17, 2013
    10 out of 10 what else can i say for this masterpiece! The story is amazingly well-written and the game is as it should have been.I mean that you feel the loss of a deceased person and also you live the game as you feel the same emotions with your character like the agony the sadness etc.Τhe combat system is fairly good but the stealth is not rewarding and worth doing.All in all this game is one of the best out there and i enjoyed all the 16 hours i spent playing it's storyline. Expand
  11. Apr 15, 2014
    the initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between the characters wasn't interesting to me and the story's pace was to slow to keep me interested. the 3rd person shooting is straight out of the 90's. graphics are alright. Expand
  12. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is up there with the very best. Everything in this game is exceptional! The voice acting is brilliant, the environments are gorgeous and the emotion is always high and tense.

The best thing about this game though is the relationship that grows between the two main characters of Joel and Ellie. You NEED to buy this game... You won't regret it!
  13. Jul 25, 2013
    as an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pc if you wanted more money. just because they rival Microsoft doesn't mean it should be ps3 only Expand
  14. Sep 17, 2013
    It's not as good as expected :(
    You know, it's fun and all..but it's not... how can I explain.. it doesn't feel good!
    The survival aspect isn't really well made, you die a lot, but the reasons are pretty dumb. It's a lot of try and error imo and that's not cool.
    The Story is pretty good, but nothing you never have seen before.

Still a good game, but yeah..
  15. Jun 25, 2013
    I don't know what to say about this game, first of all, if game developers are brilliant enough to personally hand over to you a emotional connection to the characters in the first 20 minutes of the game, they should be given an award. The gameplay was was extremely difficult, which added to the fun of the game, I had to try my best to learn new ways around certain areas, and do everything I could to properly get through a building, hell, just a small obstacle, like snow, can change the entire game you're playing, which is a really great mechanic. Although this made me mad, EXTREMELY mad, at some points, like that snow part, but, it was still amazing! The story was overall emotionally heartbreaking, and when I mean emotionally heartbreaking, I mean that I had such a connection with the characters, that at the end of it, I felt like I needed more of the game, not only that, but after beating the game, I went in my brothers room, watching him play Skyrim for at least 3 hours because I was extremely upset, thinking about the last hour of the game. It's also really long, and it has ton of replay value, more or less, this game is a masterpiece, theres is usually only 1 or maybe 2 game every year that I love this much, and I am happy that The Last of Us is the one I have committed to and complete, and I have never made a review this long, because there weren't many other games that I could write a review this long for. Here's a tip, if you happen to be reading this, buy this game, and if you don't, trust me and all the critics, and user reviewers, this game, is brilliant on every level. Expand
  16. Jun 17, 2013
    Amazing world building, deep characters, amazing script. Cinematic. Emotional. Suspenseful. This game will stick to your mind after you beat it, just like Bioshock Infinite. Just in a completely different fashion.
  17. Aug 2, 2013
    Still don't understand how this game is any better than TombRiader or Dishonored. This game is nothing special. Maybe for console gamers this game is impressive but for a PC gamer this game is just another average game at best. Alright graphics, same old boring game play and okish story. Nothing special.
  18. Jun 18, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece Best. Great. Phenomenal. Brilliant Absolutely amazing. 1010. 100100
    Naughty dog you are best!

I'm done. Thank you very much.
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    Even though the auto saving bug ruined my first 4 hours, i cant just rate this game less than 10. (the bug was gone after restarted the game once) On the technical side this game is one of its own, compared to the limited hardware its running on. Great music and authentic sounds, the graphics are really sweet but limited because of the huge areas & sfx. The characters are really good, so is the story (this is no funny action adventure like uncharted, expect less laughs :P). Extremely nice shadows and lightning for a dx9 game. There are still small sound bugs, and sometimes clipping issues, but the more complex a game gets the more bugs sneak in.

I beat 1/3 of the game, and so far the story is damn entertaining. its an pretty rough world, but believable as well. i had many jaw dropping moments, and there will be even more following for sure. if you like uncharted, then you know naughtydog's skills. this game differs in the gameplay alot, dont think its gonna feel like uncharted.
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    The glitch/bug preventing people from saving has been fixed. Slight bug in the first patch was quickly removed. Any scores based on that should be ignore as the problem is now solved. Go enjoy this amazing game worry free.
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    Opinions are like butt holes, everyone has one and they all stink.

With that being said this game is fantastic. I haven't beaten it yet but the game is quality from every point. Visuals, combat, dialogue, crafting items, upgrading weapons, and even using a shiv to jimmy open a door during the down time scavenging the ruins of abandon cities is fun. I don't know what else to say, do some
    research watch some gameplay, interviews with the creators and then make the decision for yourself. Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the best, if not THE best, game of this generation. The trifecta of scenic environments, immersive storytelling, and awesome gameplay promises to pull you in to the very heart of the game; as if you were part of the characters themselves. A must MUST play!!
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    The Last of Us has been a long time coming, and the wait is finally over, the question is does this game live up to the hype and the Metacritic user reviews? The answer is yes and it seems that Sony has saved the best of it's exclusives for last.

Story:
    To not go over what has been said before in reviews before me, I will start by saying that the opening ten minutes of this game
    explain so much with so little. Naughty Dog has went to great lengths to make sure characters we play as and pull for have deep narratives that compels the player to continue forward. The setting is very much out of the book, "The Road" but with a twist. The use of infection as a fungus that creates fast zombies and as I have dubbed them with my roommate, "Bat Raptors". We ended up playing for about three hours before we knew it, which is a testament to the games pacing and narrative.

Gameplay:
    The idea of this game is basically Uncharted meets survival horror and it pulls this off extremely well. From someone who was played survival horror since it's inception, no other game since Resident Evil 4 and at for what I have played of Amnesia, has me had be panic under pressure. This is the key point of the entire game and regardless of how well you prepare for the next encounter, most first time players will barely scrap through each wave of attacks. The basic stealth mechanic is maybe the highlight to this terror was it is the most effective and painless way to get through a combat issue, but since the AI seems to hug you at all times, combat quickly turns to oh no, oh god quick find cover, where the hell did Ellie go?! Since you don't have regenerative health like in most games, you have to add that to the list of things to juggle when in combat, along with having a extremely finite amount of ammunition and supplies. Players quickly find that bricks and bottles can be thrown at enemies to distract and stun which allows for brutal hand to hand combat which becomes the weapon of choice when all other methods have been exhausted. The real time crafting system adds to this mayhem, it can be both a life saving move or a costly mistake when used mid-combat. The game also rewards players for fully exploring the environment as players will find equipment, bullets, collectable items, vitamins for upgrading Joel himself and scrap metal to upgrade the equipment Joel has. The game does have shortcomings, the AI seems to be invisible when sneaking or always getting caught and at times and I have found a few cheap deaths that are due to bugs. The overall package however is one worth replaying a least one time to max out all the equipment as the game boosts a new game plus and a survivor mode for those how have nerves of steel.

Visuals:
    The game may not be as visually up to par after looking at what is to come this holiday season or even the recent visuals of Metro: Last Light on PC. Once again however, the artwork of the landscapes and maddening attention to detail makes the world come alive. The destroyed Boston which players will first encounter, drops them from the tense and depressing opening to a near hopeless setting of 2033 America. (wink wink to Metro 2033 yet again). Nature is taking back a country that is run by the American military and opposed by the Fireflies who wish to bring back a system of government. What final graphic push that could be brought out of the aging PS3 was done to only compliment a excellent story and setting which immerses the player into the game, a extremely difficult visual feat .

Verdict:
    The Last of Us is not just a great game, it transcends that of what a game should be, it takes what other games have done and refines and uses them to create a unique experience. The best parts of this game are those when you as the player are being forced to play combat by ear and pray that your last supplies will solve the problem. Not all the parts of this game are perfect, they could have used some work, but when your story, atmosphere, combat and characters are this good, you can over look some issues.

Metacritic only allows a 9 or a 10 but honesty this game is a 9.5 or A.
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    Very good graphics, story, sound & gameplay. Why the low score? I played the game on release day and because Naughty Dog failed to set up their servers correctly I lost over 4 hours of gameplay due to the autosave bug. I've lost the desire to re play the four hours lost so soon after playing through it. My fault for expecting a working product on release! I'd recommend playing offline in case Naughty Dog mess up again. If we could turn the auto save function off or putting the auto save issues aside then this review changes to a 9. Expand
  25. Jun 17, 2013
    This game was a fantastic surprise for me, and even though I haven't finished it yet (I'm nearing the end), I know I won't forget this game easily. First of all, let me say this: if you are that kind of gamer that just want non stop action, explosions, and huge set pieces, don't even think about getting this game and get one of the many brainless shooters out there. For everyone else, this game is a treat. It alternates quiet, atmospheric moments to intense fights, both against humans and infected enemies all the time, with incredibly good pacing. During the quieter sections, it's fantastic to just explore searching for supplies, the environments are beautifully detailed, the designers probably spent weeks putting every single element in place. The combat is intense, brutal and rewarding, especially against the infected, it's frantic and challenging, especially when playing on hard. The sound design is equally top notch, for example in areas with rain, the rain will sound different depending where it falls, on metal, glass, concrete etc. The sound design is truly spectacular and I highly recommend having good heaphones or a nice surround system, it's insanely immersive. The music is rare, but when it starts, it does so masterfully and the already exceptional immersiveness is increased 10x. My only complaint is that the stealth is a bit unrefined. Enemy AI is mostly great, but there is the occasional bug, which is inevitable. The reason I don't give 10/10 is that they could have optimized the AI further and created a more refined stealth experience. The story is rather simple but very well executed,gripping and character development is excellent. Voice acting is fantastic too.
    The multiplayer was the icing on the cake, I didn't even care about it, but it's solid, has a different pace compared to the various shooters out there, and focuses on stealth, and teamwork. I'm having lots of fun with it, but you really need a few "bros" to play it with, coordinating your attacks and everything, but it's still enjoyable even with random people.

Bottom line, the game is excellent, it delivers in every single area, is incredibly immersive, the plot is solid, the character development is excellent, the sound design is probably the best this gen. The very few AI screwups are rare and don't hamper the experience at all. If you can appreciate a slower paced, more intimate experience compared to the average shooter or Uncharted game, which rewards careful approaches, exploration, stealth, and item conservation, this game is excellent. If you want an explosive rollercoaster with 1000+ bullets shot per minute, look elsewhere.
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    I am playing the game on normal so maybe this is why but there are 2 huge problem first off you can kill a enemy that was just shooting you and his gun vanishes meaning no ammo for you and secondly you have to use cover to get around but it seems that your followers wont all the time and even if the enemy sees them they wont react other than these deal breakers it is a nice looking game
  27. Jun 16, 2013
    Naughty Dog brought us the Uncharted Trilogy and now they bring us this gripping tale of survival. Naughty Dog don't just develop games, they develop stories first. Stories so gripping they leave the gamer with a lot more to enjoy than just a bunch of puzzles and adrenaline rush.

This is not just the Game of the Year in my books, this is a shift in gaming. It has brought realness into
    the gaming world at a time when every gamer was craving for something more. In truth there are few that can hold a candle to it in it's genre.

If you are looking for quality, value for your money then this is one of the best games to buy and keep for generations to come so they can see when it all changed.
  28. Jun 16, 2013
    I'll keep this brief.
    Story: 10 A tale of two people forced to care for each other on a journey that carries them through the depths of humanity and the beauty of friendship. That's all I can really say without giving it away but it's a yarn worth hearing.
    Graphics: 10 The best graphics you will find on any console anywhere but more importantly, those graphics are put to use in all the
    best ways bringing alive an overgrown wasteland with stunning lighting, rich foliage, and so-real-it's-eerie character models.
    Sound: 9.5 The music is appropriate and accentuates the quiet moments with soulful guitar and the loud moments with tense orchestral pieces. The voice-acting is second to none truly giving the script the grounding it needed. My only gripe is that sometimes sound effect will abruptly stop and start during parts of the game.
    Gameplay: 9.5 Desperation is the name of the game and you never forget it. Conserve your ammunition if you can by stealthily avoiding the games varied foes so that when it hits the fan, you can hit back. The aiming is spotty but that just ratchets up the intensity when you've got a mob after you. Would've liked a better way of knowing whether you were going to be spotted though. Sometimes you feel you've done everything right only to have some guy notice you from 300 yards away.
    Value: 10 You've got an amazing 15 hour quest you'll want to experience a second time in NG+ in addition to a surprisingly well put together multiplayer. I've only played a couple of matches but every time it was truly exciting.
    Overall: Incredible. If you like video games, you've got to play this. Don't listen to the reviews who are trying to be "different" and go play one of the best games of this console generation.
  29. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I bought this game not really knowing anything about it besides that it seemed way over hyped. I'm currently playing the game and would guess to be about half way. Most of the 10/10 reviews are terrible "OMG DAT INTRO" or "I LUVS NaUgHtY DoG." While the ones that rate 0-3/10 are doing so on the anger of the save game glitch or argue about the stupidity of the 10/10 over hypers.

I will admit the game is good and enjoyable do I think its game of the year..no. The graphics look good the environments are nice (for an apocalypse) Its nice to see ruins that are not cookie cutters of each other. The houses you explore look realistic and will make you wonder about the previous residents.

The down side is those good looking environments are pretty much one way streets. Some areas if you go off the path you may find a few items, ammo or a letter even then its not that far out of the way. Combat gets old quickly all baddies are crack shots while you will waste bullets trying to hit them as run straight at you. Enemies armed with guns will not drop their ammo for some reason even if they didn't fire a shot.

The story is obvious from the start. The intro mentions the Fireflies a group of rebels being hounded by the military. As soon as that was said I knew I would be forced to join/help them. This bothered me the most the game is about survival. Joel makes it obvious he wants to live so agreeing to help a terrorist organization who is being slaughtered as you speak to their leader who suffering from a gunshot to the gut doesn't seem like it will have a good outcome.

You end up helping the Fireflies by smuggling Ellie out of the zone. At some point you are caught by soldiers who check for infection. You kill them and realize Ellie is infected but is somehow immune and the Fireflies want to create a cure. This is by far one of the most overused tropes in my opinion. I would have been more impressed if it turned out Ellie was the origin of the virus or something.

Then you have Tess who is doomed from the start. Trailers made a big deal about Joel and Ellie surviving together so I knew she had a time limit on her.

As for the multiplayer its fun but nothing special. I liked the customized character even though you don't play as your character. You pick what hat, mask, and helmet you wear then when the match starts you'll be randomly a male or female of a different race.

All in all the game is good fun. Does it deserve all the 10's? No. Does it deserve 0's? No. Its an above average game that you will enjoy.

Also if you haven't played the game don't write a review with a 10 saying how good the game is. That just makes you look like a douche bag fan boy.
  30. Jun 16, 2013
    Words cannot begin to describe what an amazing journey this game takes you on. Let me start with the most crucial element in games: game play. This game's combat is extremely satisfying. From brutal melee kills, to perfectly balanced gun-play, and amazing stealth sequences, this game delivers on all fronts. My favorite part in this game was the story. It was truly a monumental tale of trying to find something to fight for in a world that's lost everything. The heart wrenching prologue even threatened to bring a tear to my eye. The entire reason that I own a PlayStation 3 is the trailer shown for this game at the 2012 VGA's. The lack of ammo and the scavenging for any little thing to help you, along with the fact that the infected aren't your biggest threat, gave me the most authentic "zombie apocalypse" experience of any game that came before it. If possible, this game would've been rated 100/10. Expand
  31. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is just so good. The storytelling, graphics and the attention to detail just blew me away. Even the multiplayer is refreshing and fun. Naughty has done it again with the last of us and i recommend it to every one with a PS3
  32. Jun 16, 2013
    Fantastic game, really is able to grasp you and pull you in emotionally from the very beginning. The combat is fun and really makes you think, use your resources wisely and strategize your attacks. This makes for edge of your seat addictive gameplay. Dont even think about popping off shots and running around. You will get shot and getting shot causes your character to stagger backwards making you very vulnerable.

The multiplayer is also addictive. Brings a sense of hunt or be hunted. You die easily so you must be careful as there are not unlimited respawns. There are a variety of play styles available and customization is nice. And team work is very important and so far I have had very cooperative smart players on my team.

Go get this game now, easily one of the best games of this generation woth graphics ushering in the next gen almost to well.
  33. Jun 17, 2013
    This game is drop dead gorgeous, has incredibly engaging story and some of the most believable characters I've ever encountered in a game. The soundtrack is superb, melancholic and beautiful, the voice acting puts other games to shame. The gameplay awesome. It lets you chose different strategies and playstyles (just sneak past enemies, sneak in and assassinate or all out firefights). The crafting system is well thought out and adds to the atmosphere and the rest of the gameplay instead of being an aside.

It just doesn't get better than this. Naughty Dog. Thank you for creating this wonderful experience. You're what other developers should aspire to be.
  34. Jun 16, 2013
    Now, I don't usually play single-player games, but I had heard many great things about this one. It has to be by far the best campaign I have played of any game. Not only was it character driven, but simply showed you what the current generation of consoles, especially the PS3, can still do. I'm a PC gamer myself, so I had a lot of expectations for this. Yes, the graphics aren't comparable to what they would look like on a gaming PC, however for how old the PS3 actually is, you really have to be ignorant to deny that the graphics didn't look stunning in the game. Everything from things on the table such as CD racks, bean bags, and other common household items were given so much detail, even though it wasn't needed. It really adds that extra "oomph" to the game. Now to talk about the game-play itself, speechless. I am usually one to criticize games very quickly about how fake something is, or how how something doesn't look fun, or whatever it may be. However I did not feel that way about this game at all. Most people who gave this game a low score either weren't interested in the story at all, or just simply wanted to beat another game so they can say that they finished it. Though, you have to play the game on hard difficulty to get the full experience, because anything less doesn't do the game justice. To end it, Joel and Ellie feel like real characters, characters that you know and can easily connect to. They bring you into their lives almost as if you're right next to them the whole time. It's truly a masterpiece, and it will go down in history as one of the greatest feats of the gaming industry. None of this would have been possible if it weren't for Naughty Dog, props to your whole team for making one of the best games I have ever played! Expand
  35. Jun 17, 2013
    This is definitely GOTY. Besides the stunning motion capture acting, graphics, and solid gameplay, this game delivers an intense, emotional, and engaging experience. The best part about this game is its story. This is not farcry3 or bioshock infinite where you are killing the same, predictable, AI every time while scavenging for extra ammo, or collectibles. This is a game where every decision you make has an immediate consequence. You cannot survive if you don't pay attention to your surroundings, your ammo, and your craft-able items. This sense of urgency and fear at being overwhelmed only adds to the superb and engaging story. There was never a moment while playing (story and multiplayer) that i wasn't on the edge of my seat, chewing my nails and wondering what was going to happen next. This experience was essentially like reading a really fantastic book, but you were not only seeing it, but partaking in it. Sure the plot was somewhat predictable, that didn't retract from my experience or enjoyment because it was predictable because of the game's context (zombie apocalypse) not because of any lack of originality. When playing this game (Story or Multiplayer) you are always on your toes, you are always conscious of what you are doing, and what is happening around you. This isn't COD where you can run in guns blazing and live to tell the tale. This is the Last remnants of society. There is not unlimited ammo. Your survival depends on how effective you can manage your limited resources and skills. You cant let any second of your time go to waste. This game is the most engaging game i have played in ages, and i would recommenced it to any gamer (of age, this is a brutal game that had a LiveLeak survivor like me cringing) who is willing to experience some of the most innovative and engaging experiences in their gaming career. You don't have to be an avid gamer to enjoy this. As long as you aren't a 12 year old COD fan-girl, this will most likely be your favorite game of the year, and defiantly one of the most memorable out of your entire gaming experience. If you can scavenge the money, buy it ASAP Expand
  36. Jun 17, 2013
    They weren't kidding when they say that this game is a masterpiece, IT IS!First of all, i would still like to complain about some of the things that bugged me.The most obvious of all is the lack of immersion from the other AIs.Especially when you try to be stealthy.Wait,that's the only gripe i have with this game.The combats are superb,and considering your low supply,it makes you think before you do anything.The story,the graphics are top notch.The multiplayer is fun.Take a bow Naughty Dog!For anyone who has a PS3,this is a must buy game! Expand
  37. Jun 17, 2013
    This is a game that brings together many familiar ideas from the great games of my childhood and pulls them all off spectacularly well. The voice acting/motion capture is the best I've seen in a video game & the writing top notch to match. There is much to be found in the wonderful tale. P.S. Multiplayer (and I never play this part of games) is actually really fun!
  38. Jun 17, 2013
    I don't believe that these graphics are from the actual generation...

They're so beautiful and clear and FANTASTIC, near PERFECTION, Naughty Dog once again surprised me with a amazing game, with awesome protagonists and enjoyable story
  39. Jun 17, 2013
    There isn't much to say about The Last of Us besides the fact that it's a thrill ride that can keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end; the premise itself could be said to be a cliched had it not brought an extreme amount of emotion to me throughout the bonding moments between the protagonists; Joel and Ellie. Along with the happiness that could be offered with their conversations tears can also be provoked from the games opening that may possibly be the saddest opening to any story that I have ever seen; this being said about the games beginning the tension and suspense that is felt from the games final moments are also the strong point for The Last of Us while being just as emotional as it's opening moments if not even more. Enough about the games emotional points the key point of the gameplay is to forge to survive and craft your weapons to your best advantage; Naughty Dog succeeds on a larger level than I could have ever though possible after playing through scavenging for tools and scraps to craft several items that are required to complete your journey west, such as shivs, first-aid kits, and even molotov Along with the great crafting system something that constantly plagues games in our modern market is the poor artificial intelligence, but with The Last of Us this will only be a problem for someone who gets upset from being outmaneuvered by a computer controlled bot as this game proves to have AI that works together to find a tactical advantage over the player. In my closing remarks I have to say that The Last of Us is a MUST PLAY game that constantly had me saying out loud "I can't believe this was created by Naughty Dog" due to it's dark tone and unforgiving characters. Stop reading now and buy it full price. Expand
  40. Jun 17, 2013
    We face the possible game of the year, perhaps the best of the generation and one more part of the great games in history, along with MGS1 and Zelda Ocarina of Time.

-Great gameplay, different to see in survival games.
    -Awesome story, once you enter, you aren't free.
    -Extraordinary graphics.
    -Good technical section, but with your details.

Do not forget this game. Play it.
  41. Jun 17, 2013
    -Delete my other review i give tlou a 10/10 not 4!!!

Ok first off where to start in response to Calvincrack you have some major issues son....ADD probably the main one...to say these characters are mildly fleshed out & your not the only person but in going to pick on you anyway....mildly fleshed out are you actually smoking crack then? Did you play the game with your eyes shut & the
    volume on mute or something? This of all points is by far the most ridiculous thing I've read in these hater reviews!!! Joel & Ellie are by far two of the best developed characters of any game in history, the fact that you build a connection to both characters & develop a sense of protectiveness over Ellie is absolutely astounding for a video game & it shows how far the industry has matured unlike your brain. I mean did you really play the game with a preconceived notion that you won't like it just because it got 27 10/10s or are you also a bioshock infinite fan? I've played hundreds of games & character wise nothing compares!! If you paid attention, listened to every word spoken, interacted with every optional conversation then there's no way you could say these characters are underdeveloped it's plain stupidity on your part! I guess your just a COD kid who has no clue as to what makes a good game & good story....maybe there wasn't enough explosion for you to get excited over!! Oh and because there isn't a scripted set piece every 30secs maybe that's why you didn't enjoy it....BUT this is where you made the mistake of assuming this was uncharted2 because its not!! No where near because its not meant to be....it's a completely different tone & genre! This game is about subtle details, the ambience of a post apocalyptic world, the sheer beauty of the world that's been created is phenomenal on (7yr old hardware-and people moan about a few popups or graphical glitches here & there?!!nonsense/nitpicking fools...name 1 game with no errors...ye thought so) ...each room tells a story of the deceased, there's so many finite details in this game that it blows my mind every time I find something new!! The gameplay is also amazing, a guy said its all the same? What the? There's melee, melee with bats,wood,machetes etc multiple weapons-guns,rifles,bows etc & there's items you craft which adds like another 3-4 methods to dispatch enemies...I guess the guy that complained was just terrible at the game if all he did was punch every enemy!! The sound is pitch perfect & quite haunting from the clickers etc....another major beef I have with haters is that they think this is a survival zombie game...ND never said that they never titled it a zombie game? The infected are infected they don't die & come back to life they are infected & the cordyceps take control of the brain-people say this isn't an original idea but compared to every zombie game ever released which has a generic zombie I would say its definitely unique!! I think it's fantastic! I don't think I'll ever play a game that gripped me or made me have an emotional connection to the characters like this ever again in my life! Unless naughty dog pull it off again! But I doubt this can be topped!! I would strongly recommend this game to anyone who has a decent IQ, doesn't play COD....& doesn't rely on explosions & bullet time effects to think a game is cool, who want an amazing story driven game, to see two characters be developed masterfully & to see the end outcome & just experience a post apocalyptic America looking gorgeously crafted on the PS3!! Expand
  42. Jun 17, 2013
    The best game I've ever played, a true masterpiece from start to finish. This took Uncharted's 2 spot as my favorite game of all time, Naughty Dog continues to wow me with each game they craft, while playing The Last Of Us I felt as if it were just me and the game, nothing else mattered, it was the most immersive game I've ever played. I simply didn't want the game to end, the story, I've never felt this way about a game before. Expand
  43. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. 95 is not enough for this game he had to hit 97-98 is perfect for goty 2013 without a doubt!!!!
    not only as goty game of the generation!!! the critics who are giving low grades of envy dies unfortunately I have ps3 xbox 360 pc and a super over this game has made the dust of my ps3 go away and saw the best game of the generation gta watch dogs beyond any game must overcome if it occurs can be sure it is mafia!
  44. Jun 18, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. Imagine Uncharted 2/3, which looks better, sounds better, is more endearing characters and a plot more emotional.
    Imagine that with the combat that encourages not only several playthroughs to try a different strategy, but charging stations to get your first right strategy. But it really does not do justice. Normally I would write a long review, but this is a title that needs no introduction. It's amazing, one of the best gaming experience out there. Nothing more need be said (for fear of spoiling it) not just buy it!!.
  45. Jun 18, 2013
    Don't believe the people that are giving this game anything below a 7. This game is near perfect and probably one of the best of this generation. The gameplay is sharp and fresh, both online and on single player. I haven't found myself this addicted to a multiplayer game in a long time. The survival aspect stays true for the online modes and it makes the matches more intense then anything i have played. The single player is equally as astounding with perfect voice actors and a brilliant story. While a little short, they get everything across they needed to. I'm currently playing through the single player on survival mode, and let me tell you. Its hard. But with the way this game is, the hardest difficulty actually makes the game more interesting and more intense, it almost seems like that difficulty is where the game really shines. With no listening mode you are forced to be even more stealthy and more clever with your actions, and each and every scenario takes careful planning. The people that are giving this game zeroes have absolutely no merit, because no matter how you look at this game it is absolutely not anything less then a 7 or 8. Expand
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    In a market that is filled with bland, repetitive and copy paste type games, it's nice to own a game that dares to be different. While some things might seem obvious, a lot of stuff is not. Most people will miss a lot of the fine details that are present within the game. Such as the many hidden Easter eggs and lore.
    Even characters will have their own surprises. Naughty dog does Survival
    horror justice, it depicts it's idea on how a post Apocalyptic world would look like, and does a good job doing so.

From start to finish you get to learn about the world, you get to know the characters and watch them grow as individuals. To me It was way more than a mere cinematic experience with gameplay elements. I felt a connection with the characters, I put myself in their shoes and asked myself what I would have done in certain situations. This is the first game since Bioshock 1 ("Would you kindly" message) that has tested my morals, my basic instincts/impulses and made me question my own logic behind the decisions I've made. Towards the end of this game I felt so connected to the characters that I would literally put myself in harms way just to protect Ellie, even though I knew she was just an A.I I felt as if I needed to be there for her.

One of the fun parts of this game is the way you struggle to get supplies, it's one of those games that "kinda forces" you to scavenge for resources or find those little treasures (not really necessary, but it does make your life easier). But it's not something that you will hate, it's not some tedious task. It's something that (at least in my experience) you will want to do, I spent hours on end, just looking around for pendants, comic books, health packs, crafting resources, tool kits, supplements and much more. I sat down reading notes, trying to learn as much as I could, always looking for clues as to what happened here, what happened to this family/person, trying to solve riddles such as why the world is the way it is, and I loved every second of it.

I spent 16 hours on this game on my first run through, most people will also finish the game at around this time. For anyone rushing the game it may last 8-10 hours on normal difficulty, but in doing so you miss so much of the game. I recommend you take your time, search every little inch of the world and have fun doing so.

The Last of Us may not be for everyone, but it's a game that gave me an awesome experience that I will not soon forget. I hope that you at least give the game a try, it might just be the best game you've played in a long time.
  47. Jun 18, 2013
    Right out of the starting gate the game looks amazing, surprising that gaphics can still impress me this late in the console cycle. The game starts in a calm way and gets the player connected to the characters so you care for them throughout the entire game. Within the first 10 of gameplay it starts to set up the mood giving you fear of the unknown followed by the death, destruction, the infected, and lastly the people. The game has a great supporting cast that you get to know while you travel with fighting opponents developing a trust and friendship, letting the player adapt the feeling the characters give. One part i particularly like is through all the fear and terror the girl Joel travels with, Eli, sometime makes drumming or guitar noises suddenly illuminating the mood giving a light to the ugly yet beautiful world. Gameplay always keep you trying to come up with different ways of passing an obstacle, gradually giving the player more weapons to play with. A breathtaking and emotional journey and an absolute must play. Expand
  48. Jun 19, 2013
    From someone who has been a hardcore gamer for 20 years, and who is also a HUGE film buff: This is, for me, the best game I have ever played. Why? First, the story is MASTERFUL. If this was a movie, I really believe it would have blown the critics away, and would have most likely gone down as an enduring classic. Incredible atmosphere of tension (definitely reminded me of a Coen brothers film), heartbreaking emotion (and I am almost never moved by video games stories), great "cinematography", and a script that in my opinion surpasses Cormac McCarthy's novels. Naughty Dog has drawn from a wealth of influences, and has created a story that is better than them all (in my opinion).
    Second, the gameplay is TENSE and very fun. If you didn't feel tension while playing this game, then you need to switch to hard difficulty (and listening mode turned off), because normal mode is for average gamers. I started on the hardest difficulty possible, with no listening mode, and man was this game incredibly tense. (I felt more tension throughout this than No Country For Old Men...I actually had to take breaks to give my stomach a rest). While the combat is not perfect (no game is), its VERY good, and not worth nitpicking due to how it services the phenomenal story.
    Third, this is the most immersive experience I think I have ever had, in gaming or in film. While there are occasional bugs due to the ambitious nature of the game, they are quite rare, and in the course of my 20 hour playthrough, I took my time stealthily in order to conserve the limited ammo I had, and explored the world thoroughly), I actually experienced tension, fear, disgust, hatred, hope, love, joy, peace, brokenness, sorrow. There are moments in this game that I will never forget.
    Lastly, the game is deeply philosophical. What at first glance appears to be a cliched "zombie" (although the infected are nothing like zombies, and are much more believable in my opinion) story is slowly revealed to actually be a fascinating study on humanity, morality, and love. This becomes apparent after the conclusion of the game. The game is so profound and well constructed that I could analyze its meaning (through mise en scene and use of motifs) in the same way I would a movie like "Moonrise Kingdom," "The Godfather," or "Pans Labyrinth."
    To sum it up, this game in a masterpiece. I honestly believe (in my opinion) that those who didn't like the game are either: 1) shallow gamers who enjoy mindlessly repetitive "Call of Duty" games rather than meaningful stories, 2) bad gamers, who thought that the gameplay was "broken" due to their lack of skill, and 3) People who don't understand how to interpret and understand masterful works of literature and film. IMO this game's meaning went over some people's heads. If you appreciate powerful films from geniuses like Martin Scorcese, Stanley Kubrick, Guillermo del Toro, and especially the Coen Brothers, you will love the artistry of this game.
    This game dethroned the masterpiece The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time from the top spot in my favorite games of all time. IT'S THAT GOOD. Gameplay wise, I think Zelda is a bit better, but the story of The Last of Us is one of my favorite stories ever (whether game, film, or book). No other game comes close. Gameplay is created to serve the story, so if you are into games only for the sake of mindless Call of Duty action rather than deep story and intelligent strategic combat, or if you are a fan of Micheal Bay style movies, don't play this game, its art will be wasted on you. To those with (in my opinion) good taste, GET THIS GAME!!!
  49. Jun 23, 2013
    A real masterpiece; the story telling is so mature and breath-taking. I am glad i have bought this piece of art because i would have miss one of the best games ever made (and in the top 3 of this generation). Sony spoils its customers so well; Sony (and Naughty dogs here) are giving the PS3 the final it deserves (there's still "Beyond two souls", an other exclusive, to be released) and make us have an early glimpse of what the PS4 will offer us; and we are glad to be on this wonderful trip. Thanks so much for all of this. Expand
  50. Jun 25, 2013
    What can I say? The game is a masterpiece in story telling and and a brilliant exhibition of gameplay.

The controls are tight and intuitive, whether shooting the infected, strangling hunters or traversing the world. The game itself is well paced, enough action and down time to keep up excitement as well as time to immerse oneself in the world, the environments of post pandemic America.

The dialogue is well scripted and acted, while avoiding Cliches masterfully.

Thoroughly enjoyed the game. 10/10.
  51. Jun 26, 2013
    There was no limit to my amazement throughout the game, the character development was astonishing, Joel evolving from the heartless smuggler to the compassionate yet still strong father figure in Ellie’s live. Now Ellie, there is hardly any words to describe how she transformed throughout the game!!! She starts as the naive 14 year old with no real knowledge of the world before the infected, while traversing the world beyond the QZ, she learns, experiences miracles and grows; closer to the end of her journey we she how she has changed to the strong and steadfast character we have grown to love!
    The story has amazing twists and turn, graphics are phenomenal and the enemies can instill fear into the greatest of men. The story is original and mind blowing with no real relation to prior “end of the world games” The Last of Us has found its way on its own two feet!
    I haven’t been so frightened in a game since the first time I attempted alone in the dark on playstation 1 when I was a whopping 7 years old.

Put simply it is the greatest game developed for the past century!
  52. Jun 26, 2013
    I went into this this game thinking it was kind of overhyped and overrated, however when I started playing I was almost immediately hooked. This title offers one of the greatest stories told in gaming, a cast of very well developed characters, and amazing graphics. Gameplay is pretty good too, although there have been a lot of complaints about the "clunky" shooting/ fighting mechanics, i personally think that it makes the game more realistic. I was completely interested from start to finish as the suspense in this game is constant. At some points in the game, you will die many times and it is frustrating, but it never feels unfair as it makes you think of new ways to approach the situation at hand. The only negative thing I have to say is very minor and that is that the AI can't detect Ellie during stealth moments so she'll be doing something stupid like whistling, telling jokes, or sometimes even walking into enemy while you're trying to quietly sneak by. All in all, this is an amazing game, possibly the best PS3 exclusive available, and I would highly recommend it to anyone Expand
  53. Jul 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is an amazing experience from its incredibly lush graphics to the absolutely superb character animation and dialogue. It navigates through the ever popular post apocalyptic genre with great finesse and manages to tell a story all it's own. From the game play to the cinematic moments everything in this title is tailored to give the player an idea of the dire scope of Joel and Ellie's harrowing journey through the remnants of society.

This is a great addition to any PS3 owners library and an amazing experience for any survival game enthusiast
  54. Jul 11, 2013
    Best game ever created.
    I've never attached any book/movie/video game character as I did with ellie and joel.
    A freaking masterpiece and a console seller.
  55. Dec 10, 2013
    To be perfectly honest, I do not understand the rave about the game. i will start by saying yes it does have a decent story line with few plot holes, nothing good or bad about it, pretty average. However, the game play is God-awful, I feel as though the game play is focused on stealth except all the focused on was the shooting aspect, the shooting works great, but will kill you instantly if you ever use it with zombies. One major thing that annoyed me was different types of zombies, no explanation behind how they came to be, just put in there in an attempt to make extra game play. However in the end, special zombies are what ruined the game for me and I'm sure many others, what makes them stronger? I don't know, no one knows. And one last thing, people say the infection is realistic, it isn't possible for the virus to infect humans that way, Dead Island had it right with the mutated strand of Kuru. 4/10 Expand
  56. Aug 1, 2013
    This game had me so enthralled that I felt compelled to write a brief review. I have played many games in my life and I can honestly say this is the best. No game in my estimation has ever merged story, gameplay, environment, cinematics, and graphics so harmoniously than TLOU has done. I must say I entered this game with little to no knowledge of it beforehand except a trailer that caught my attention and really had no expectations other than it being like uncharted it had to be at least half way good.

Let me tell you, you will never encounter a more engrossing intro than what this game has in store for you. It has all the excitement and tension to prepare you for the ride to come and hits you with an emotional blow that will leave you as wounded and in search of meaning as the protagonist. The game has a remarkable realness to it that has you very much intrigued throughout the game. It's loaded with intense, frightening encounters contrasted with slow subtle moments of reflection and exploration. The fighting mechanics are well crafted as well as all the survival tactics and the way the difficulty is engineered in the game you will have to make calculated and intelligent moves to proceed in the game instead of the usual run and gun with loads of ammo scenarios. Both the human and infected opponents present their own unique challenges which you have to adjust for and this is no exaggeration, the infected will frighten you especially if you turn off the listening mode, turn that off trust me. The environment is another selling point for this game, you can spend hours just looking at all the nuances of this desolate, hopeless, and ruined world, clamoring to find remnants of humanity, it's an experience just walking through the various backdrops. To cut things short and I can write pages on this game which I won't, I want to write on it's strongest point, the story and the way it both enhances the gameplay and vice versa. Behind this magnificent game, is one of the most beautiful stories told in any form of media. The story of humanity enduring and surviving despite the most dire of circumstances, when the whole world has gone to hell, two people significantly different from one another find themselves building one of the most loving relationships you will ever witness. In a world full of violence and corruption, love is the strongest force binding us together enabling us to endure and survive and this game brilliantly explores this emotion. Like a loved one, this game certainly has some minor issues but they do not detract from the greatness that is this game as a whole so I won't comment on them. I'm afraid of giving anything away about this game and I think this game is best played without knowing too much about it but then again I have played this game 3 times now with each time giving me satisfaction. I will end with this, this game will haunt you, not in the sense of horror, but in the sense that it will never leave you, it will stay with you, it's characters will forever leave an imprint on you and once you have completed this game and seen it's powerful outro, you will have a hard time saying goodbye.Not to reek of hyperbole The last of us will go down in history as one of the best artistic works of this generation. Many games have had great heroes but Joel and Ellie seem to be the most real therefore the most captivating and though the idea of flesh eating zombies is beyond reality, this remains one of the realest games I've ever played. Cliches aside, The Last of Us is more than a game, its an experience and one you will not soon forget. Endure and survive!
  57. Aug 9, 2013
    A masterpiece. The only fault that anyone can criticism in the current generation is the occasional bug in-game and with AI, anyone can easily look past these rare petty occurrences and see a brilliant game.

You are reviewing a game that transcends the current bar of video games, a combination of Art, Design and Technology. To review a game in comparison, with clear bias or without
    evidence is an insult to the 100s of people that have put the time and effort into creating one of (if not) the best game of this generation.

Anything below a 9 clearly has some form of biased or opinionated statement.

Anything below an 8 is clearly an invalid opinion, based of emotions and favoritism. Disregard it completely.
  58. Aug 17, 2013
    The People reviewing this game really make me believe they are trolls. This game is one of thegreatest games ever made, the story is compelling, the characters are really likeable, the graphics are incredible and the twists and turns on the way keep you interested as the story unfolds. I would easily rate this game 11/10 as itis simply a complete masterclass in every aspect. Anyone that hasn't played this game yet really is missing out on a massive scale. This game will be talked about in years to come and known as the game that saved the horror genre. To finish up I really believe Naughty Dog are the best in the business for story telling along beside Rockstar, but for your average or daily gamer, I can't reccomend this game any higher, I have been gaming for over 15 years and my experience on games is varied so I do know what I am talking about, this is a must have. Expand
  59. Oct 5, 2013
    No wonder why naughty dog is called the best developer.From story to multiplayer this game is mind blowing.Story is really touching and emotional. Characters are amazing especially ellie This games world is very well detailed and never will you feel that you have been in the same place twice. Game play is diverse Stealth,Flanking or straight combat and each action has consequences crafting is really good .it feels so amazing i never even blinked throughout the game i was overwhelmed with sadness and i felt like i was there protecting ellie Graphics are amazing just what you expect however AI problems were there but not too frequently.MP is fun and amazing and has a lot of strategy involved. Really riveting MUST PLAY!!! Expand
  60. Mar 12, 2014
    I dont know what it was, maybe cause i started to play it just after finishing beyond.
    The graphics in TLOU well, in comparsion to beyond they r not that good as everyone says.
    Also the stroy in TLOU isnt the greatest of all time. The game starts to get boring realy fast.
    After TLOU was getting high reviews it was obsvious for me to play. But after beating the game. I feel not how i
    imagined i would. True - while playing you feel that u r constantly alone and can depend only on each other but putting that aside; I just wanted to play uncharted 2 and 3 again.

If uncharted 2 and 3 ar a 10/10 for me. TLOS is a 3/10
    the game is that bad.
  61. Nov 8, 2013
    Was disappointing. The game had so much great talk on how mazing it was said to be but I just don't see it the gameplay was okay the graphics were decent and the characters were good I just don't see the game as so good.
  62. PWG
    Dec 26, 2013
    Overrated and overhyped. Hear me out, first. When you think of a game, what's the first thing you think of? If what you said was any of the following, you probably don't know what a game is: Graphics, soundtrack, acting, story, any type of rating All of those are nice little features, but the correct answer is game-play. That isn't an opinion (maybe in the context of my question), but game-play is the most important thing when it comes to a GAME. Everything else can combine to make a MOVIE. There's a difference between the two.

Now onto The Last of Us.
    NOTICE SOMETHING ABOUT ALL OF THE "MOST HELPFUL" USER REVIEWS?
    *NONE* of them talk about game-play. Everything but that, actually. This is less a game and more of an experience, which isn't bad, but when the game-play actually is seen, it's incredibly repetitive, either boring or tedious, and the AI is horrendous. I have played this game to the end. Because, again, it's more of an experience the other elements want you to continue. But it's nothing to go back for, and honestly doesn't deserve "Game of the Year" or all these 10's and 100's. This is... an interactive movie, with your "choices" not affecting much at all. There were so many better games this year, yet so many people say this is the best game ever, or of the last decade, and so on. They are wrong. How can their opinion be wrong, you ask? Because when they talk about why they like it, just about EVERY TIME they don't talk about the gameplay, just how it looked pretty and sounded nice. That is not the game they like. They like it for being art, and less a game. Video games are art, yes, but on the list of things that make it art, gameplay is definitely near the bottom, if not at it entirely.

But I suppose I will get many... dislikes, I guess they are, for saying this. Even though it's true. If you liked the gameplay, fine by me, but I thought it was horrendous and is most certainly what everyone overlooks. And that last part is a fact, not an opinion.
  63. Feb 16, 2014
    I got fooled by the reviews on this site... What could I expect? Im an idiot... these are the same people who AAA companies are catering to... the main reason we have FF13, FF13-2,FF lightning returns, RE5, RE6.... lol

I've been playing for 7 hours so far and i'm STILL waiting for something epic to happen. The gameplay is very boring. All it consists of is running from one place to
    another by climbing holes in walls or avoiding monsters. There was absolutely nothing rewarding me to keep doing this over and over. (I wouldn't mind if it actually had some nostalgic value or stunning reward/story).

Basically, nothing happens unless you "finish the game" which is a complete joke. The game should be EPIC throughout the gameplay.

Instead, it's just a game where you die and repeat a "sneaking" scenario or use limited weapons to kill everything.... then you run through a desert and reach a new boring environment with different buildings and repeat it again. (then you're rewarded with a scene where everyone is relieved for surviving...but nothing else).

This was definitely a disappointment. I refuse to give this game more than a 6/10, which was given based on the graphics and game's intro (which makes you believe you're in for something fun...but it's just a empty).

Whoever says this game has an atmosphere... yeah it does for the first 2 hours... then you realize it was all in your head and you're just performing a Job... it gets boring real quick and suddenly you don't "feel it" anymore.
    Go play RE2. Now that game has a real atmosphere.

Sorry guys, I know my tone is annoying but Im not trying to offend anybody... don't judge my rating by how annoying I sound. Just accept my message, you don't have to agree with it... Try to understand what I mean instead
  64. Mar 3, 2014
    A great game to enjoy once or twice. The story is average when you think about it, not much different than what you've seen before. It's a very linear game and very scripted. For some this is ok, but for me it seemed like you were watching a movie, and at times, it may have been more enjoyable for a cutscene to take the place of a playable gunfight. Further into the game, time and time again a group of scavengers will show looking for you whilst walking back and forth from one end of the room to another before you take them out. It gets a bit frustrating when you finally take out the group only to hear the clicking sound from a group of infected coming your way.

Good game but a little bit overrated. Definitely should be a sequel with a few tweaks and a continuation of the story, as the characters are interesting.
  65. Apr 20, 2014
    Call your self a monkeys uncle and declare the world deceased because I'm not that keen on the Last of Us (back ground screams). Just let me explain.

Firstly with the title, who do you think us refers to? It isn't humans, there's tons of those. It could be psychopaths because by the end you are the only one least in the entire world BECAUSE YOU KILLED THEM ALL. Yes you would think with
    a vastly reduced population life would be valued a tad more but no it's cheaper than action figures at Kmart.

Secondary is the story. Many praise this to be the best written story in video games. And it certainly would be if you wiped out games like spec ops the line, bio shock, half life, dark souls and a whole load of other games from very existence. Yes while it does have a nice intro and is well presented it can be very predictable at times and does have a lot of coincidences like a really important item we though was gone forever just HAPPENED to be in a building we ran into in a chase scene. The characterisation between Ellie and Joel when their TOGETHER is fairly weak, Joel is just really a prick to her at times and Ellie at times really does say stupid things. But the absolute weakest part about it is the side characters. Naughty dog has this terrible habit of dehumanising every character except for the protagonist, at some point someone who has known Ellie all her life just decides to kill her because of reasons. Also the ending might lose you cause it did me.

The gameplay itself is quite well done, I liked the semi-linear environments with survival elements and highly limited resources for self-defence. However there are two gripping problems with it. One is Ellie herself, she's just there, she doesn't fight often unless scripted and enemies don't attack her, so why is she even here? For story yes but story should inform gameplay not patronise it into doing its bidding. The other problem is the super zombies. There so annoying, I try one attack that would normally clear out an entire army of infected bit it just doesn't effect them for some reason like a school boy bringing out his everything proof shield. I get we're supposed to be careful around them but I didn't expect getting my jugular vein eaten was appropriate punishment. Also the AI can be weird at times but now I'm just not picking.

All in all the Last of Us is pretty god and you can spend on worse games that came out around that time ride to help cough. But it is pretty over rated. Even the developers think so, the conference after the meeting the co of naughty dog thought that the game was mediocre. Well I hope this will lead them to make a better game in future. But for now go play the much under rated silent hill series. ( but not homecoming we don't talk about that one).
  66. Apr 18, 2014
    Ok, but really overrated and me personally, could care less for this game. I found the plot to be extremely unique and well developed getting better and better as the game progress. The game play i found ok, but nothing really new and interesting. I personally found the game play to be more like a survival game. Now to conclude, If you like survival games, then this is a game for you. I understand people But for me i just don't care about this game so much. Expand
  67. Aug 4, 2013
    Superb work of art. You rarely come across a game with such marvellous storytelling. The gameplay is really fun and challenging and the presentation of the game is the best I've seen to date.
    This game is a must-have to every gamer.
  68. Jun 17, 2013
    With The Last of Us Naughty Dog have delivered a masterpiece in every sense of the word. They don’t just raise the bar for video games, they set a new precedent that all narrative driven games should be measured against. I’ve already heaped huge amounts of praise onto The Last of Us, and yet I feel like I could continue to conjour up new ways of explaining just how impressive the experience is. In the end, when I tell you that The Last of Us is not only the best, most complete, game of this generation, but also one of the best games that I’ve ever had the fortune to play, I hope you’ll realise how impossibly good The Last of Us is. Expand
  69. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a truly brilliant game. Most of the brilliance comes from the story and the way in which it is told. More brilliance comes from the way you engage with the story through gameplay, and the compelling emotion which the game is able to make you feel the entire way through. You really get to feel what the characters are feeling and you can empathise with their situations.

An often
    overlooked part of a game is its audio. The Last of Us does a superb job with a fitting score. The audio is also very important gameplay wise as the infected will react to the sounds you are producing, and for the player it is very important to be able to hear when they are coming towards you from around a corner. The quality of the audio is excellent, accompanied with excellent voice actors who really mean what they are saying.

The graphics are also excellent for a current-generation game. The environments are beautiful and if you stop and smell the roses then you will see the amazing amount of detail which they have managed to cram into every area. It really feels like you are in a post-apocalyptic world.

The Last of Us is an experience which you won't forget.
  70. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a tough game to review. It seemed simple for "professional" reviewers to go and give perfect scores. I can't.

I understand why people like this game. I get the whole emotional angle Naughty Dog is trying to sell. But my experience although good taken as a whole was at times so bad I almost didn't finish the game.

Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person
    shooter with crafting and RPG elements. Occasionally stealth is involved. There are moments perfectly crafted with great pacing and great balance of gameplay and set pieces. Than there are stupid moments. Teleporting zombies, human enemies that flank you no matter where you are(they go through walls apparently). Sadly these moments are not rare and for every good combat gameplay piece there is a stupidly broken one. Maybe it's just the way I played. I don't know, if you enjoy this type of BS or don't really care you will have a better experience. To me the gameplay feels like a filler between emotional cut scenes and set pieces. And that's bad. Also BOSS FIGTS. For the love of God. BOSS FIGHTS.

Number 2: The story is at best OK. They chose a fungus as the reason for the zombie apocalypse and than they go nowhere with it. Every single character that dies, dies because of zombie bites. You know, that cliché. Where they get bit and they hide it. It happens twice because once was not enough. Also the writing is mind blowing bad. "We've got to get out of here" and it's many variants are used constantly along with all the other cliché lines Hollywood has been using for years. The ending is stupid also but I will not spoil it for you(there really is nothing to spoil).

Number 3: Even with all these game breaking flaws I enjoyed the game enough to finish it. So I gave it a 7/10 because emotional cut scenes aside there's just nothing here. You can just watch the cut scenes on youtube and get the best this game has to offer without the unremarkable gameplay.
  71. Sep 9, 2013
    It's a shame that Xbox only gamers can't play this game because it truly deserves game of the year title. The story is an emotional, most dramatic struggle to escort a young girl across the dangerous wasteland to safety. It's a game that adult gamers like me are always looking for, yet they are so few an far in between. Combat is tough with very little room for mistakes. Some might be turned off by this who would rather play games that allows them to sustain massive amount of damage, but I believe in a genre game like this, the combat fits in perfectly. Naughty Dog was already the masters of great graphics, but this game really tops everything they've done so far from the graphics, texture and lighting, it's all marvelous. I don't do multiplayer, so I can't comment on that aspect. But basing the score on single player alone...it's an easy ten. Expand
  72. Aug 26, 2013
    The Last of Us is a game that can most accurately be described as Uncharted (with Zombies). It has it's moments, but quickly becomes a repetitive mess of menial tasks that provide you with little to no gratification. The story is it's most redeeming quality, but even that feels a bit overdone. But hey, zombies. They're everyone's favorite cliche nowadays.
  73. Aug 28, 2013
    This game is as close to perfect as any game to date. The story is compelling and a tension unmatched in any other zombie games. I am normally bored by stealth games but the threat of immediate death makes you creep like you've never crept before. Light moments also release the pressure and give your pulse a chance to go down. I sold this game as soon as I completed it as I didn't want to taint the story. Loved this game, bring on a new story in a sequel. Expand
  74. Aug 20, 2013
    I had super high expectations for this game. I think anyone would with all the ridiculously high reviews it was getting from journalists/players alike. The prologue was a 10/10 no doubt. It was pretty standard zombie apocalypse fanfare, but it was so well-presented.

After the prologue I was super hyped. Then the real game started. To sum it up I'd say it's super-generic stealth
    gameplay. There is nothing unique or innovative about it. It's been done a million times in other games. Now I'm not a fan of innovation for innovation's sake, but compared to the relatively high quality of the game's also somewhat generic but well-presented story, characters, dialogue, and voice acting, the gameplay sticks out like a sore thumb. To me it just wasn't fun. I found myself dreading the gameplay segments and wanting more story.

If I were to rate TLoU on its story, characters, etc I'd give it an 8, maybe 8.5. But as a video game where gameplay is the most important factor (in my opinion), I can't give it more than a 6/10.
  75. Apr 25, 2014
    Why this game got the ratings it got baffles me. Graphics are good. Music is good. Generic backstory, glitchy gameplay, cliche characters, uninteresting dialog, OK voice acting (except for the girl, which is painfully bad). Heavily developer-planned combat scenes mean you either do it their way or you die. No exploration, no deviation from doing exactly what the developers intended.

Just where the heck are all these 10s coming from??
  76. Jun 25, 2013
    It is simple. This is the best video game ever made. Really nothing else to say. This game has me speechless. There is real, raw emotion pouring out of this game into your heart. What I learned from this game is that the ends do not justify the means.

If you miss this game, you've missed the culmination of 30 years worth of developing time to get to the point where a game can truly take
    you, emotionally, further than a movie.

This. is. art.
  77. Nov 21, 2013
    This is the most unique game I have played. It plays like uncharted but in a survival setting. Arguably Naughty Dogs best work yet. The story is superb, the graphics are superb, the gameplay is superb. Everything about the game has been perfectly crafted. The multiplayer is pretty addictive, and is different than other multiplayer games. Game of the Year material.
  78. Nov 5, 2013
    THE BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. The story telling is incredible, the characters are incredible, and the graphics are incredible. It is absolutely a must play game.
  79. Jun 28, 2013
    Metacritic deleted my previous review, because I jokingly pretended to review this game as Uncharted 4 with Zombies --Well, I guess cheekiness isn't allowed in reviews. So, I'll be blunt; this game is just Uncharted with zombies. If you like Uncharted, then enjoy your expansion pack. If you wanted a new game, well...don't be cheeky in your review.
  80. Sep 19, 2013
    this game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremely forgiving there is various checkpoints and just does not feel like a infected invasion also the Stealth like gameplay does not help this game the multiplayer surprisingly is great but the amount of lag is just unbearable also you need a online pass for it does not make it any better also the shooting in this game is kind of odd feeling when Joel shakes the reticle when he shoots his gun this game might be for you if you into the SiFi feeling video but for me its just okay Expand
  81. Oct 16, 2013
    This game doesn't need any more positive reviews to be honest. Everyone should now know how amazing it is.

It's one of those games that makes you wonder if you're ever going to experience another game like it, and then you start worrying that maybe you won't and then will gaming will lose all it's enjoyment..

You get the picture. It's amazing. Get it.
  82. Sep 3, 2013
    Best Game Ever Made!!.The Story is absolutely well written and characters voice acting is superb.The gameplay mechanics are truely next gen and the music is mind-blowing.
  83. Oct 1, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is unlike anything I’ve ever played before. I’ve always found stories in video games intriguing and some of them even get me emotional, but for the first time ever, I feel like a video game has rivaled some of Hollywood’s greatest stories. From the very beginning, this game absorbs you in emotionally, I was literally crying within the first ten minutes. As the story progresses, there are multiple moments where I noticed myself tearing up and getting a lump in my throat. These moments don’t only occur during the cinematic cut scenes, but through normal game play, especially as you near the end.

The story of “The Last of Us” is about survival as our heroes try to make it to the Fireflies, a resistance group, to find a cure for the infestation of plant-like zombies. Along the way they face the infected and other humans who, much like them, are trying to survive the harsh environment created by the infected outbreak. Through this journey, themes of survival, sacrifice, loyalty, fate, and hope are all tackled and handled very well to where by the end, you begin to question some of the decisions made by the characters.

The game play is superb and the controls are solid. I had a weird time adjusting to the controls, but within a couple of hours, I couldn’t imagine myself playing it any other way. The game play on the other hand is quit satisfying. The melee, shooting, stealth, and cover system are all executed well. The great part about the game play is that it requires the player to think, rather than just rely on a couple of weapons or strategies. Ammo is very scarce and guns in general attract a lot of attention, so when playing you must be smart about using it. Weapons also break and you are required to make some of them yourself, however, the challenge is finding the right materials. This game is also pretty hard. The A.I. is incredibly intelligent as they react to your slightest mistakes and capitalize on it. So you’ll be in constant terror of enemies appearing out of nowhere and just ruining some of your progress.

The characters, Joel and Ellie, are fantastically written. Joel is a hardened survivor, who has a lot of baggage and is very closed off emotionally, but also has a strong protective instinct. Ellie is a foul mouthed teenager, who, much like Joel, is all alone in this world and has to learn to grow and become more independent. There are so many little quirks to these characters that make them seem so very real and relateable. For instance, when nothing is happening and Joel is just scavenging around, Ellie will start whistling or humming. These little things make us fall in love with these characters. Their interactions are charming as they have a father daughter relationship and it great watching it develop. All the supporting characters are fantastic as well and one thing to really appreciate is that there are no blatant black and white character. Not even our heroes can be justified as “do-gooders” as everyone has a reason for what they are doing. The voice work is some of the best I’ve ever heard. The voice actors really put a lot of effort into making these characters radiate off the screen.

Visually this game is amazing. The character designs and movement are pleasing to the eyes. The bleak and apocalyptic world that has been crafted is something to marvel at as there are a lot of little things to look out for. The architecture and environments all have a story to tell of what might have happened. It’s a world that we don’t want to live in as there is nothing that remotely resembles an ideal living location. However, when, we actually do see signs of beauty, much like how the characters react, we too get a sense of wonderment. The musical score is also beautiful. Most of the time it’s very subtle and almost not there, but when something is about to go down, it kicks in. Giving us feelings of sheer fear for our lives in the more survival orientated moments to a more emotional sensation in the intense story driven moments.

Overall, “The Last of Us” is a truly amazing game that must be experienced by everyone and has become my personal favorite of all time. It is a game that isn’t revolutionary in its concept, but groundbreaking in its execution. From strong game play, to likable and relateable characters, to an intense story and emotionally draining experience, this game defies expectations and becomes a new standard for the industry. I give it an extremely high 5/5, an experience unlike anything else and the ending will leave you speechless.

Having waited several months to write this review, I have come to the conclusion that “The Last of Us” is one of the greatest games ever made. From a storytelling perspective, it is a game that is as revolutionary to the industry as Mario was for the very first time so long ago. Naughty Dog has made a game that is going to shift the way story is going to be handled in video games. Much like how many games after “Uncharted 2: Among Theives” released became more cinematic and like a Hollywood blockbuster, “The Last of Us” is going to make developers want to create a more intimate and a more emotional experience with characters that are well developed and relatable.
  84. Aug 5, 2013
    This game is a beutiful piece of art just not for gamers but for all type off people. This could even be a movie....but its bettter. Till the little conversations with Ellie till smashing a guys head with a rock this game is amazing. When I didnt had the game I thought...humn looks boring after a while...Well I was wrong I didnt finished the game but im almost and I gotta say this game is worth 60 euros. I got it borrewed but if I knew back then and had the money I woulod have it bought Expand
  85. Aug 24, 2013
    "The Last of U.S." is a game where what matters is not the action, nor stealth, nor the fight against infected and other survivors of the disaster that ravaged the world, but the relationship between Joel and Ellie, as this progresses and and do everything necessary to survive in an unforgiving world. Without going into spoiler, is a game that focuses on the development of the story and its characters, which gets us End of level bosses that break the ambience of the game (as in "Deus Ex: Human Revolution" to mention one case), and gives us situations that only make sense in a video game.

It is a game atipico, with a magnificent history, that will make you to join the characters, worry about them, and suffer with them. It is, without question, the best way to "Naughty Dog" could say goodbye to the Playstation 3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Podemos considerar que "The Last of Us" esta entre los mejores juegos que ha visto esta generación, y es una manera espectacular de culminar el que sin duda sera el ultimo año de lanzamientos importantes de Playstation 3.

"The Last of US" es un juego donde lo importante no es la acción, ni el sigilo, ni la lucha contra los infectados o demás sobrevivientes de la catástrofe que asola al mundo, sino la relación entre Joel y Ellie, como esta progresa y como hacen todo lo necesario para sobrevivir ante un mundo implacable. Sin entrar en spoiler, es un juego que se concentra en el desarrollo de la historia y de sus personajes, que no nos mete Jefes de Final de nivel, que rompen la ambientación del juego (como sucede en "Deus Ex: Human Revolution", por mencionar un caso), ni nos da situaciones que solo tienen sentido en un videojuego.

Es un juego atípico, con una magnifica historia, que hará que te unas a los personajes, te preocupes por ellos, y sufras con ellos. Es, sin lugar a dudas, la mejor manera que "Naughty Dog" podía despedirse de la Playstation 3.
  86. Jun 15, 2014
    Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes. However the gameplay is a mess. This is a 3rd person shooter with some tacked on stealth. However ammo is scarce, so most of the time it is better to go the stealth route. The controls however feel loose (read: realism), and require you to have better aim than your standard third person shooter. NPC enemies also have very spastic animations, so even when you think you have a shot on them, they will jerk their body or head to the side and you will miss the shot. You go into an annoying stagger animation when you get shot (again, realism), which requires you to re-aim your shot, by which time the enemy has already closed the distance and is pounding you to shreds. Close quarters combat is stacked towards the enemy, especially the zombies, many of whom can one-shot kill you at this range. Ellie, your NPC companion, aids very little in combat. Enemies are also oblivious to her presence, even though it is clear they can see her. I guess the idea here was not to punish the player for enemies spotting your NPC companion, but this simply breaks immersion. You also can't switch weapons while on the move, which is especially aggravating when you need to switch from an empty to a loaded weapon while an enemy is chasing you. The game itself plays like your typical cinematic linear shooter, with some outdoor areas that open up a bit and allowing you to explore. All your standard shooter gameplay tropes are here: "defend an area from hordes of enemies", "find an alternate route", "clear area of enemies to proceed", "run away from an armored vehicle"... you get the idea. There are some tiresome ladder and plank "puzzles" that require you to move a ladder from A to B to get somewhere. They add nothing to the gameplay and feel like padding. There is also a skill system (what game doesn't have this nowadays?) that allows you to upgrade your character. It's good to have, and allows you to tailor your gameplay experience somewhat, although I found many of the skills to be useless (faster crafting? what's the point? You shouldn't be crafting during combat). The story is serviceable. You play as Joel, a grieving father tasked with delivering Ellie, a girl immune to the zombie virus, to the human resistance movement. It's like the Walking Dead; the last vestiges of humanity fighting against zombies, lots of interpersonal relationship stuff, harrowing situations, etc. Which is fine, not a lot of games go this route. But TLOU didn't invent this genre, so let's not give it more credit than it deserves. Joel is your typical gruff white guy we've seen dozens of times by now. As for Ellie, they seemed to have cast someone too old to play her, as she comes off as being a little too precocious. The section where you play as Ellie. She says "piece of sh*t" or "motherf*cker" EVERY TIME she kills someone. Why was this necessary? It's not behavior you'd expect from a pre-teen. The much talked about ending, though clever emotionally, left an empty feeling with me, similar to Prince of Persia 2008's ending. As a player, I want to feel like I accomplished something. Don't throw away everything I've done in the past 10+ hours.

To sum up, this is not a fun game. If you want to play a Walking Dead episode, with all of Naughty Dog's trademark high production values, then this is for you. However if like me, you like your games to be fun, then give this a pass.
  87. Jun 24, 2013
    The visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would know the difference between the foot steps or gunshots of an ally or an enemy isn't explored, but it is of little consequence as nearly every OTHER sound is ignored. Grunts, stabs, clangs, clinks, your allies talking, whistling or yelling. Hell, the enemies don't even see your allies stumbling at their own feet. Also, enemies have infinite ammo, until they die. Then they rarely drop weapons or ammo, and even more rarely of the type they were using to attack you. The seeing-by-sound system was buggy and sometimes failed to show close enemies or report them in the correct direction. The story could use more development. The focus is on character relationships, but unfortunately I was never convinced to be on the side of the character that I played. I didn't agree with his values or judgement and did not want him to succeed while exhibiting those values. There are NO better looking games from this generation, but there are many better games. Expand
  88. Jul 4, 2013
    It's a very good game. Good narrative, strong plot and spectacular game of actors. Also, gameplay good, too. One thing bad AI of Ellie. Better to delete this character from gameplay, than play so.
  89. Aug 8, 2013
    The gameplay is pretty entertaining, has different foes require different strategies. One must create a strategy for infected and another for bandits ("hunters" in the game). Playing at some higher difficulties will force the player to evade some of the infected, due to lack of weapons or aid kits. It's a extremely intelligent design.
    The game's visuals are striking, every bush, every
    tree, every building, enemy and character is astonishing and it's pretty fun watching the world being slowly claimed by Nature.
    But the best thing about this game is the story. In no other game have I ever seen such a enticing story. The relationship that slowly grows from Joel and Ellie is the jewel of this game. Both the characters are amazing and the player gets really worried about them surviving in such a cruel world.
    This is undoubtedly one of the best games ever. An experience the player will never forget.
  90. Jul 28, 2013
    Just wow. A true mater piece. I like to compare it to the likes of The Shadow of the Colossus, as in it's the perfect swansong for the PS3, as Shadow was to the PS2. Naughty Dog really hit the nail on the head with this one!
  91. Jun 28, 2013
    Zombie apocalypse games are a very common theme as of late, and The Last of Us is no exception. It twisted and turned the expected game-play for a zombie game into its own unique play-styles, and it is hard not to admit that the graphics are purely beautiful and atmospheric, and combined with the excellent voice acting it is easy to become immersed into the game.
    However, there are few
    games that come without flaws: the AI of the game could have received some more work, making the combat quite easy and far from challenging resulting in no feeling of achievement or tension. Also, the only other issue I will personally put forth is a slight overuse of cliché with exception to the ending which made some aspects of the story predictable and thus losing its emotional connection to the player.

But to conclude, The Last of Us, holds strong in a genre that is becoming common, and adds more spice to a meal that is starting to be eaten.
  92. Oct 4, 2013
    Simply amazing. This game delivers an experience like no other, with great script and story, compelling characters and a perfect soundtrack. It really compares to a great movie, and at times, it made me remember Children of Men. I love the way the story unfolds, specially on the killing and supply mechanism, totally make sense to kill almost everyone that crosses your path, and the supply shortage provide a real feel to the situation. Really recommend this game and any other game by Naughty Dog. Please keep them coming! Expand
  93. Oct 12, 2013
    Wow...just wow. Everything about this game is just fantastic. The story, the characters, the setting, the voice acting (Nolan North is so good that he's unrecognizable) really just everything. The only problem I really had was the ending but even that started growing on me after awhile. Multiplayer's ok but you'll get tired of it after awhile (for me it was like 2 maybe three rounds). This is in my top 2 favorite games for sure (number ones Mass Effect 2 if you're curious). Expand
  94. Jun 18, 2013
    In my opinion, this game is incredibly overhyped. I'm thinking that it's mostly due to the summer lull and E3 excitement. Let's keep it short: - Very linear gameplay - TERRIBLE AI (the amount of time I got discovered because my two "friendlies" are in the way is ridiculous) - Horrible "mega-glow-in-the-dark-zombie-mushroom" (a la Resident Evil) - Varying graphics (from pretty good, to damn awful)
    - For the amount of PR "push" they gave to the main character looking like Ellen page... well she doesn't look AT ALL like her in the actual game
    - Sometimes unclear as to what is the objective
    - Interesting intro/premise, quickly followed by pretty normal "we found the cure" type of scenario.

I'd give a 6. It's not bad, but it's far from great. It's deeply over-hyped.
  95. Jul 12, 2013
    If you liked the Uncharted series, you might like this. The extremely high reviews this game has received are due to AAA title hype, it is not a 10, it is about a 6, on a real scale of 10 that doesn't begin at 8 and end at 10.
  96. Oct 10, 2013
    This is the best console game I have ever played. Great from beginning to end. It really has it all. Nice to see after the disappointingly short and easy 3rd installment of Uncharted. The character development is exceptional, the game-play fantastic, and well balanced. Very, very good.
  97. Sep 18, 2013
    Incredible game, intense, great looking, full of action and good writing. Ellie and Joel are easily two of the best characters in video games, its just an amazing game
  98. Aug 24, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. POSITIVES:
    1) A decent story, made excellent by wonderfully written dialogue and brilliant voice acting.
    2) Gorgeous level design.
    3) Thrilling and extremely responsive game play.
    4) Naughty dog.
    5) Realistic, unexaggerated violence adds to the game's dark and desperate tone.

NEGATIVES:
    1) Crafting could have been broader (Knives, man! They should be more common than knives!)
    2) I thought it needed a bit more character development for someone other than Joel and Ellie, like Tess or David.

I have been playing Naughty Dog games since I was 6-7, starting with the Crash Bandicoot series. Now I'm a 24 year old man and I feel as if Naughty Dog has been growing at the same rate as me. Naughty Dog, I love you AND this game.

P.S: A decent set of headphones pulls you in even further.
  99. Apr 16, 2014
    The most overrated "game" of all time. The atmosphere and story are decent, but there is very little actual gameplay. You probably won't realize this on your first playthrough because you will be playing overly cautiously and exploring for materials, wondering what is around the next corner. But once you've beaten it, you will understand that there are very few fights with enemies and a whole lot of slow boring sections spent walking around listening to Ellie, separated by lots of cutscenes. The multiplayer can be enjoyable, but the poor hit detection coupled with the slow pace isn't likely to hold many peoples' attention for very long. Expand
  100. Sep 6, 2013
    I bought a PS3 just to play this game, so it worked out one of the most expensive games that I have bought. It is an amazing game, and worth buying a PS3 just to play. If you like anything post-apocalyptic, this is a game for you. As a game it's often hard to get the right balance of story and action. So may times there is either too much repetitive action, or too many cut-scenes that drag on for ages when you want to be playing. Overall Naught Dog to my mind got the perfect balance for that they deserve a 10 on it's own. But there are so many subtle things in the game that just have an immense impact, like not being able to pause in order to craft but having to craft in real-time. The people struggle when you fight them, they don't go down easy. Superb.

The game also gets you to ask questions of yourself and ask who are the real monsters? A question that might seem black and white in a game about spore invested mutant zombie types. But it's not that easy, the boundaries become blurred, and the ending... well that doesn't disappoint. Top marks, great first game for me on PS3.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]