The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. Jul 13, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. The story is phenomenal and the combat is tight, balanced, and satisfying. I personally believe this is a game every gamer needs to experience atleast ONCE. Easily a must own. Can't wait for the revised PS4 version.
  2. Jul 25, 2014
    Masterpiece of a game and will be a legendary game in the video game franchise for as long as they exist. The story is just excellent, the gameplay is very good (some occasional bugs, for example when you are sneaking about trying to avoid the clickers or normal enemies sometimes ellie will run about and walk straight into them but they wont notice her at times) its the second best game ofMasterpiece of a game and will be a legendary game in the video game franchise for as long as they exist. The story is just excellent, the gameplay is very good (some occasional bugs, for example when you are sneaking about trying to avoid the clickers or normal enemies sometimes ellie will run about and walk straight into them but they wont notice her at times) its the second best game of the last generation, behind GTA V . Expand
  3. Aug 9, 2014
    I felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than aI felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than a classic problem-solving approach where you are fully attended to progressing through the game. When Call of Duty shows technical excellence and standard gameplay, I call it an entertaining game. TLoU is similar in its ratio of technical excellence vs gameplay innovation. It's entertaining and a feast for the eyes. But the exciting zombie franchise is still called The Walking Dead, and the exciting Naughty Dog franchise is called Uncharted.

I leaned towards a 7/10 or even 8/10, but I stopped playing after completing the campaign. No alternative game modes (except online) to play around with. No exciting trophies to attempt. Just a few dozen inconsequential collectibles scattered throughout the campaign, and trophies for completing it several times. In a campaign where so many sections play on the strength of surprise and 'first-sight-marvel' I'd just rather play something else after seeing it once.

The ending is satisfying, but you could just read a plot summary and then watch the final hour on Youtube and get what the game wanted to tell. I liked the message (hint: love) but it wasn't necessary to trod through so many hours of slow progression to feel the impact of the story.
  4. Aug 23, 2014
    My best experience in the video game world, masterpiece. Gameplay, scenario, feels, so, all they good in this game, I waw marked by this experience, it's a true masterpiece.
  5. Sep 23, 2014
    EN: Few games in history have gained as much hype as The Last of Us, and fewer have lived up to it. The Last of Us is among those. It's a flawless expression of art and emotion through a violent game within the thin lines between beauty and horror, innocence and brutality. If this hard hitting story doesn't made any impact on you, i don't understand you. If you haven't played yet, beEN: Few games in history have gained as much hype as The Last of Us, and fewer have lived up to it. The Last of Us is among those. It's a flawless expression of art and emotion through a violent game within the thin lines between beauty and horror, innocence and brutality. If this hard hitting story doesn't made any impact on you, i don't understand you. If you haven't played yet, be prepared for a new kind of game.

PT-BR: Poucos jogos na história ganharam tanta hype quanto The Last of Us, e menos ainda fizeram por merece-la. The Last of Us está entre esses. Ele é uma impecável expressão de arte e emoção através de um game violento entre as finas linhas de beleza e horror, inocência e brutalidade. Se essa história potente não teve nenhum impacto em você, eu não te entende. Se você ainda não jogou, esteja preparado pra uma nova espécie de jogo.
  6. Sep 26, 2014
    A riveting and touching storyline, coupled with excellent graphics, great controls, suspense and action. This game revitalizes the survival horror genre, akin to Dead Space and Resident Evil 4 when those games debuted. It is my choice for Game of the Year.
  7. Nov 24, 2014
    The last of us is okay. It isn't by any means bad, but neither is it any good. Everything about this game is just middle of the road. The combat could have used some tweaking, as the guns are completely useless and I would have liked an option to not use melee weapons and save them on other specific enemies as apposed to whoever comes close enough for me to use it. As for the multi-player,The last of us is okay. It isn't by any means bad, but neither is it any good. Everything about this game is just middle of the road. The combat could have used some tweaking, as the guns are completely useless and I would have liked an option to not use melee weapons and save them on other specific enemies as apposed to whoever comes close enough for me to use it. As for the multi-player, avoid it at all costs. It's just tacked on and was added as a selling point rather then being something fun to play. The story was predictable and I didn't really care for any of the characters except for Joel. Yes, I know that the developers didn't want anyone to like him, but he's the only person who made sense to me in the game.

All in all, I don't think the game is deserving of any of the awards it got and it hasn't earned it's place on my shelf. 6/10.
  8. Nov 25, 2014
    Action is predictable, same enemies on different maps, same ways to kill them. Bad crafting system.
    Story, good but boring after played a while.
    Great graphics for ps3.
  9. Dec 28, 2014
    Hands down best gaming experience for me in the last 10 years. Controls are tight, gameplay is solid, story is engrossing, characters are believable and seamlessly integrated. Nothing but praise here, Buy it.. Play it... Enjoy it.
  10. Jan 26, 2015
    What can I say that no one else has said, great unique gameplay, a variety of engaging, well developed characters and an out of this world narrative. The online for this was great and it is just a marvel all the way for gaming, I just loved this game.
  11. May 21, 2015
    Bardzo fajna gra, świetna grywalność. Pomimo, że jest z 2012 roku w dalszym ciągu chętnie do niej zaglądam. Sama grafika w dalszym ciągu jest ok.
  12. May 24, 2015
    Play this game. The story is so strong and action is awesome. Feels a bit like Uncharted with zombies with more awesome. I loved the mix of stealth and guns blazing. I loved the survival feeling of a decayed world that you need to scavenge through. I loved the character development.
    Best thing to do is just play it for yourself - you won't be disappointed.
  13. Oct 25, 2015
    An amazing game with a great story and unforgettable characters that help invest you into the beautiful scenery and atmosphere of this world, that will keep you guessing and bringing you back to it long after the credits roll.
  14. Nov 2, 2015
    No wonder this game won so many awards and accolades!
    Outstanding graphics, engaging (and often chilling) gameplay and story, excellent immersive action.
    Didn't just play a game, I experience it.
  15. Nov 12, 2015
    Best game of the century. The story was compelling and emotionally engaging. The gameplay is beautiful and the independence it provides puts it all together.
    BEST GAME EVER, THE PERFECT GAME
  16. Nov 17, 2015
    The Last of Us is one of those games that breaks new ground in gaming, such as titles like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, GTA IV, or even Naughty Dog’s own, Uncharted 2. I don’t like spending $60.00 on games in today’s sagging economy, but I feel like I got a steal with this one and that my friends is rare. It’s a good 15 hours in length and offers one of the most riveting storiesThe Last of Us is one of those games that breaks new ground in gaming, such as titles like The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, GTA IV, or even Naughty Dog’s own, Uncharted 2. I don’t like spending $60.00 on games in today’s sagging economy, but I feel like I got a steal with this one and that my friends is rare. It’s a good 15 hours in length and offers one of the most riveting stories in gaming. The emotional depth is staggering. The gameplay offers tons of fun. The visuals are breathtaking. The characters are interesting and relatable. The voice acting is fantastic. If you haven’t played this game then you must either be living under a rock or you simply read Gamespot’s review and no one else’s. The Last of Us is a groundbreaking, incredible and wildly ambitious game that rivals some of the greatest of all time. Expand
  17. Dec 7, 2015
    A masterpiece. L A S T O F U S
  18. Mar 4, 2016
    With over 160+ hours in this game I can truly say; I've never before nor since had an experience on par with The Last of Us. Simply a masterpiece. I won't go into detail on why you should play it, since I can see many others have already done that. I'm just here to reminisce, and share my experience with the game. One of few 10/10s for me.
  19. Jun 24, 2016
    This is my favorite game ever and the reason I got a playstation 3 in the first place. The DLC's, the Online gaming, the gameplay itself, everything about this game is perfect, I got it on pre-sale and got to see it grow since the very beginning, best game ever, I'm very thankful for it.
  20. Jul 11, 2016
    The Last of Us is probably the best gaming experience I ever had. A fungus devastates the population and takes down the government. Joel, an average man from Texas, goes through a traumatic experience as the authorities lose control. 20 years later, he finds what can be the salvation of mankind. Featuring a touching storyline, amazing gameplay and relatable characters, The Last of Us isThe Last of Us is probably the best gaming experience I ever had. A fungus devastates the population and takes down the government. Joel, an average man from Texas, goes through a traumatic experience as the authorities lose control. 20 years later, he finds what can be the salvation of mankind. Featuring a touching storyline, amazing gameplay and relatable characters, The Last of Us is one of the shining jewels of gaming. Expand
  21. Jul 30, 2016
    This game takes you through an awesome experience between 2 well placed characters. The horrors and mystery of how the game is designed is just the kind of experience you would wish to expect from any game.
  22. Aug 13, 2016
    I can just say...the last of us is a masterpiece...which you will never ever forget about it...the story will make you laugh..cry...sad..hopefull and you will never forget a single character in this game...it's a real art..best directing...best voice acting...and the music is another masterpice..just love it..Two big thumbs up..I will never forget this game till the rest of my life
  23. Aug 17, 2016
    Brilliant. Memorable. Emotionally deep and story-driven. A killer multiplayer too. A modern day classic. A masterpiece. These are all ways to describe the same once in a lifetime experience: The Last of Us.
  24. Dec 6, 2016
    Let me start by saying this is easily one the best video games I have ever played in my 32 years. I put this game off for a long time but I finally got around to playing this game. Everyone was completely right, this game is a masterpiece. One of the few triumphs in gaming and story telling. Amazing graphics, realistic and believable characters that you grow to love and become attached to,Let me start by saying this is easily one the best video games I have ever played in my 32 years. I put this game off for a long time but I finally got around to playing this game. Everyone was completely right, this game is a masterpiece. One of the few triumphs in gaming and story telling. Amazing graphics, realistic and believable characters that you grow to love and become attached to, tight realistic game play and a riveting and engaging story. If you haven't played this game, you are doing yourself a HUGE disservice. Easily the best game I have played on Playstation in the last 2 generations. Expand
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    Don't know how people can review this game red. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but come on! Zero?! I noticed that the reviewer who scored it this low also scored Battlefield 3 a 10 out of 10. I think multiplayer FPSs are probably more his cup of tea. I'm not a massive fan of that genre but I do know good gameplay, a strong narrative and great graphics when I see them.Don't know how people can review this game red. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion but come on! Zero?! I noticed that the reviewer who scored it this low also scored Battlefield 3 a 10 out of 10. I think multiplayer FPSs are probably more his cup of tea. I'm not a massive fan of that genre but I do know good gameplay, a strong narrative and great graphics when I see them. This game has got a few flaws I agree, but bad graphics is definitely not one of them (he surely must have been playing a different game). This is a slow paced, stealth orientated adventure game. You have to be patient and play strategically. The multiplayer might be a bit more fast paced but I wouldn't know as I haven't experienced that side of it yet. This is a game you take your time with, lose yourself in and you really will get the best out of it. On a side note, what about that prologue? In a word...stunning. As is the game overall. Expand
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played in my life!!!!!! I will certainly play this again after i finish it.Those who gave it a negative review are just Xbox fanboys who are stupid!!!!!!!!!!!!
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is sick, from the demo to the full release it deserves a 10 all the way! I'm tired of people saying this game is over-rated or not a survival game, because dieing has no adverse effects other then having to re-do a segment of the game. First off, you want to talk about over rated? Go look up some reviews for COD or Halo or Gears. I mean these god damn fan boys ruin gaming for allThis game is sick, from the demo to the full release it deserves a 10 all the way! I'm tired of people saying this game is over-rated or not a survival game, because dieing has no adverse effects other then having to re-do a segment of the game. First off, you want to talk about over rated? Go look up some reviews for COD or Halo or Gears. I mean these god damn fan boys ruin gaming for all of us you can have your own personal opinion but please, you wouldn't know over rated if it smacked you in the face? Naughty Dog is possibly one of the best video game developers around every game they make is a top tier triple A blockbuster and idc what anyone says. And touching on the point of survival NOT EVERY GAME IS DAY Z OR STATE OF DECAY. I mean its absolutely foolish to say it doesn't punish you enough for dieing so its not a survival game? I mean really? Is dead space not survival horror? Is RE 4 not survival horror, i mean honestly people complain that current gen games are running out of creativity and then you don't make it like another game and every bi**hes its crazy. But for everyone out there who's not a fool, this game deserves your attention. Stunning graphically, combat and controls are perfect, I started playing last night and had a serious debate about calling out of work! Multiplayer is fun but not as good as the campaign if you haven't picked this game up yet DO IT, NOW!! lol Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    Absolutely amazing. No game has ever provoked such desperation in me. I thrive to stay alive even though you get to repeat a section if you fail. This truly is a milestone in gaming. The amount of appreciation I have for naughty dog is at an all time high. Wizardry!
  29. Jun 15, 2013
    Very nice game. I play something about 2 hours, but was enough to make this review.
    The graphics is the best of ps3, however make we miss the next gen or a game for hardcore pc.

The story is very nice, the ambient is very beatiful. I didnt look for multiplayer yet.
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    Amazing game, from minute you'll be hooked by the story, one of, if not the best story in a game ever.
    The world is deep and credible, you will want to look around and see the story that even just the environment is telling.
    Character's are some of the most lovable in modern gaming, you will be surprised by how much you care about them when playing. Sound, graphics are all top notch,
    Sound, graphics are all top notch, gameplay works great.
    GOTY right here!
  31. Jun 14, 2013
    What more is there left to say, the brutal journey that Joel and Ellie go through is something I have never experienced in gaming. If you don't feel any kind of emotion throughout their adventure.. then you are indeed a clicker.
    Z
    No movie can get you so emotionally involved in all the characters you meet along the way. That is why I love Naughty Dogg, that is why I love The Last of
    Z
    That is why I love Naughty Dogg, that is why I love The Last of Us..
    and that is why I love Video Games!
  32. Jun 15, 2013
    The Last of Us, a survival game with an amazing story, soundtrack, and characters. The gameplay is also very nice (the limited amount of ammo, adds a survival feeling to it). Multiplayer is great as well, but to me thats just icing on the cake. The story is where this game really shines.
  33. Jun 14, 2013
    Naughty Dog at it's Best!

Brilliant Characters, Storyline and Gameplay Maybe to Hard for some, but the apocalypse is not for ****

A Milestone!
  34. Jun 14, 2013
    Questo gioco e fantastico!Non ho mai provato emozioni cosi in un videogame!La trama e a livelli superlativi complice un'atmosfera e una recitazione stratosferica che ti fanno vivere in prima persona l'avventura di joel e co. Per non parlare della grafica la migliora mai vista su console a livelli da pc!
  35. Jun 14, 2013
    Of of the best games available on the Playstation 3. The story withing The Last of Us is absolutely amazing, you get a real sense of what the characters are going through and feel the tension through every area. The voice acting is fantastic as is expected. Naughty Dog really have created a wonderfully unique game that is going to be hard to beat in the running for game of the year. OtherOf of the best games available on the Playstation 3. The story withing The Last of Us is absolutely amazing, you get a real sense of what the characters are going through and feel the tension through every area. The voice acting is fantastic as is expected. Naughty Dog really have created a wonderfully unique game that is going to be hard to beat in the running for game of the year. Other reviews criticize the slow pace of the game but this all adds to the atmosphere and tension within the game. I don't think everyone can appreciate the excellence that is within this game but judging by most of the user reviews and critic reviews most of us can agree that this game is truly amazing. Expand
  36. Jun 14, 2013
    This game has that come-back-for-more effect on the player. Naughty Dog has once again delivered on a fantastic game that's both mature and thought-provoking. All of its elements work to a synergistic masterpiece. Tiny details in the game's presentation also breathe life to the already believable world. Do yourself a favor and let The Last of Us immerse you in a world full of wonder,This game has that come-back-for-more effect on the player. Naughty Dog has once again delivered on a fantastic game that's both mature and thought-provoking. All of its elements work to a synergistic masterpiece. Tiny details in the game's presentation also breathe life to the already believable world. Do yourself a favor and let The Last of Us immerse you in a world full of wonder, danger, and everything else in between. Let's just hope that this isn't the last of The Last of Us! Expand
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    There is nothing really more that I can say about this game other than this is the decades finest. From the beautiful overgrown cities and the dark corridors and amazing character models this game looks stunning. The games length is surprising I finished my walkthrough in 10hrs 35mins which is good I normally complete games quickly and can still see and do everything I completed BioshockThere is nothing really more that I can say about this game other than this is the decades finest. From the beautiful overgrown cities and the dark corridors and amazing character models this game looks stunning. The games length is surprising I finished my walkthrough in 10hrs 35mins which is good I normally complete games quickly and can still see and do everything I completed Bioshock infinte in 7hrs 40mins to give you a rough idea, I thought it was going to be shorter just because of the past games Naughty Dog has delivered like Uncharted. From start to finish it really does not disappoint so it was a nice surprise that the story keeps on going. The cast of characters are nicely varied, brining in there own experiences and problems along the way with superb voice acting through out. The sound throughout this game is superb its suttle but only comes in when needed you will spend most of your time listening to birds, wind, tree branches crackle and the sound of Ellie whistling but its to create a atmosphere that works in every situation but I recommend playing with headphones. No matter what difficulty you play on you will find yourself fearing for your life and scavenging the environment for pick ups, it makes exploration in The Last of Us more entertaining, strategic and more of a realistic approach. The stealth and combat are of a more brutal and realistic nature making fighting an enemy all more worth while it really does make you fight for your life.The AI is smart and will flank and will go to your last known position if moved, the only criticism i had was that some of the AI just stand and look at nothing but it takes nothing out of the experience. Animation in this game is the best I have ever seen from the faces to ducking behind cover and shielding Ellie its makes conveying an emotion in this game so clear. No matter what type of gamer you are sport, shooter or platformer you will love The Last of Us this is Naughty Dog at its peak and for people that are giving the game below a 9 don't listen to them because Naughty Dog should really be applauded at the masterpiece this legendary games company has made. A easy 10/10 It really just shows Naughty Dog is the best games company out there and Sony exclusives are the best on the current market, I recommend buying it as this will be a game to be talked about in years to come. Expand
  38. Jun 14, 2013
    Surpreendente jogo, a volta do genero survival com uma imersão profunda nas hisotria e nos personagens. Um ponto positivo para o audio que impressiona muito. O melhor jogo de survival da geração.
  39. Jun 14, 2013
    I rarely give a 10 to any game, but since I started playing The Last of Us, I just cannot put it down. It is an awesome experience. Whoever says the graphics are not that good clearly have no idea what they are talking about and are just hating for the sake of hating, this game is gorgeous, nothing better out there right now.
  40. Jun 15, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterpiece. The story is heartwarming and the characters are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are amazing in The Last of Us. The gameplay gives you some amazing AI with intense combat, cool crafting elements and freedom, most areas let you explore to (in most cases) a great extend which will help make the game last longer (which I clocked in 14+ hours on myThe Last of Us is a masterpiece. The story is heartwarming and the characters are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are amazing in The Last of Us. The gameplay gives you some amazing AI with intense combat, cool crafting elements and freedom, most areas let you explore to (in most cases) a great extend which will help make the game last longer (which I clocked in 14+ hours on my first run on hard). The graphics and environments are beautiful and just a sight to look at (and that's not even considering how old the hardware is). The metal system from Uncharted 1 and 2 have returned in the form of 'tags' which extend your replay value as well as many collectibles and hard trophies. You also have the 'survivor' difficulty to handle and lots of cool goodies to play with (like a Jak & Daxter T-shirt for Ellie). There was one point near the end of the game that showed just how powerful the story is that just really touched me so deeply, it was that moment I said I don't care about the minor glitches with the AI, I' am giving this game a 10 out of 10... My first 10/10 (with me giving Uncharted 2 a 9.9)! I have not yet played the multiplayer of the game, but regardless of how good or bad it could be, The Last of Us is the one video game you must absolutely play in your lifetime.

41. Jun 15, 2013
    Start this game on Hard mode. It's the right amount of difficulty to make the game enjoyable. This review comes from the perspective of someone who paid no attention to hype. I have to say that it's fun and immersive. I was afraid of cheesiness from the acting and script but i find the story to be good and the characters to be likable. I admire the pacing. Although it is kind of sequentialStart this game on Hard mode. It's the right amount of difficulty to make the game enjoyable. This review comes from the perspective of someone who paid no attention to hype. I have to say that it's fun and immersive. I was afraid of cheesiness from the acting and script but i find the story to be good and the characters to be likable. I admire the pacing. Although it is kind of sequential ie. battle..traverse the land..encounter next battle etc. The game manages to keep the experience fresh throughout by putting you in different situations that are tense and challenging. I have died a lot and have had to take a breath to re-think my way through certain areas. The rules are inflexible throughout and it's hard to cut corners in battle. The rules are simple but deep enough to make it fun all around. I admire the way it stays fresh when applying this rule-set to the different curveballs these situations throw at you. Combat is generally simple, but it's how the game feels when executing your commands that give these mechanics weight. Punching is pressing the square button, but if you punch a dude too early, or from the wrong angle or distance, he can catch you slipping and it's painful to get punished! The animations are dynamic and realistic. The physics make it so all of the damage taken or given is intense and satisfying. There is always a weight to the execution of your actions. Aiming and reloading is tense because the reticle isn't steady and reloading takes time. Here's a tip: Always try to aim, keep the thumb on that left stick and maneuver it the whole time the enemy is in your sights. Also If you're reloading you can still run using the L2 button. The game is brutal in a fitting manner. There is a lot of creativity at work to the tiniest details. The way things react when you blast them with a shotgun, or punching an enemy in the face 4 times hard and they knock over and die! Even the way it feels when a dude whacks you with a lead pipe and you collapse to the floor and die. A lot of "oooohhh daamn!" type of comments coming through our mouths. Too many other details to write about! Everything is cohesive in this world. The different enemy types are no push-overs aside from the start of the game when the AI isn't as clever. After you warm up to to the mechanics, the game will no longer hold your hand. The game is as fun to watch as it is to play. If you have a group of buddies, take turns and have some beers. You'll cheer each other on trying to get through the difficult parts. My friends and i have been yelling and laughing and having a really good time with this game! Definitely play it if you can! I give this a 9.7. I really dont know what could be improved mechanically but there are some graphical glitches here and there. No biggie. I feel like a can keep writing but I'll stop here. Just Play it Expand
  42. Jun 15, 2013
    Naughty Dog does it again, an amazing ,engaging experience that leaves you wanting more.
    If you like adventure games or any game in general this is a must buy
  43. Jun 16, 2013
    The Last of us is a great game. No its an Experience a much play. He is clearly what he is supposed to be an Survival horror. To me the Game is a mixed Between the TV Series :The Walking Dead and those two movies 28 Days or Weeks Later. Even the multiplayer has its charm. Not Revolutionary but good. The Game is kind of long to start maybe a too long tutorial. Once this is out of theThe Last of us is a great game. No its an Experience a much play. He is clearly what he is supposed to be an Survival horror. To me the Game is a mixed Between the TV Series :The Walking Dead and those two movies 28 Days or Weeks Later. Even the multiplayer has its charm. Not Revolutionary but good. The Game is kind of long to start maybe a too long tutorial. Once this is out of the way. The Game Is Fun and satisfying. Beat infected with a brick or an old rusted pipe. Is Great. maybe the game does deserve 20/20 but its a great game none the less. Expand
  44. Jun 22, 2013
    This game suffers the same over-hype as Killzone 2 it is a very solid game but it is nowhere near a perfect 10.

For the positive, I will not waste time repeat in detail of what had been said in every review. It is suffice to say the story, the direction, the music, the voice acting and motion capture are all as perfectas they come. I will focus on why this game is not perfect overall.

The main problem with this game is the gaming side. There are several issues:

1, the scavenger system of going through every corner and open every draw looking for stuff gets very tedious very fast. Games are suppose to be fun, realism has its place but not in every place. We do not complain about how Joel can miraculously heal bullet wounds completely in the middle of the battle with just some alcohol and bandage or that he and Ellie can run and fight for many hours without a drink, a meal or a bathroom break, surely we would not mind a little less realism when it comes spend hours going through rubbish and other people's bathroom and bedrooms.

2, this game is capped at 30 FPS, which is bare minimum for an action game, but because its serious use of PS3's outdated graphics card, FPS often drops down to 25~ish. Also the game uses triple buffer to avoid screen tear, where there is always a frame or two in the buffer before they are displayed. The the end result is that during the shooting part of the game the lag is quite noticeable, especially if you are running a LCD HDTV (which typically have about 30-80ms input lag).

3, most of the enemy encounters are too easy while the inventory is too small and the check point is too frequent. For a survival game, it lacks a real sense of planning and suspense. If the raw material inventory was larger and enemy encounters demanded more use of items while each check point was longer, the gameplay would have been more challenging and more interesting.

4, enemies are too dumb yet have too much health. They cannot see you or hear you when you are very close and still moving, or just behind an object (on hard). Their responses upon detection your presence is also quite limited. Naughty Dog's first attempt at stealth gameplay was Uncharted 2. It is unfortunate to see they still haven't mastered this aspect of game design. If you want to know how stealth should be done, see Metal Gear Solid 4. On the issue of too much health, take the hunting rifle for example, it is hard enough to get a good long shot (seen point 2) yet enemies almost always require multiple shots to take down (until the end of the game where you get power and armour piecing upgrade).

5, Ellie for most part of the gameplay is redundant. You do not have any control over her actions and you do not have to worry about her safety. It is understandable that she is not going to be a bullet sponge or second shooter but there should have been more gameplay interaction. For example give her some commands such as "stay there" or "throw a bottle on my go" would have been fun.

The second problem that I would like to mention is the graphics. While I appreciate Naughty Dog has pushed PS3's graphics power to its limit I have reservations over some of their choices how to use that power. In particular I feel there are too many environmental objects with too much detail, such as countless beds, draws, tables, desks, boxes, bathrooms, wardrobes. This design choice is directly related with the FPS and lag issue and the excessive scavenging element of the game.
  45. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is why I play video games, and is truly the PS3's mantra for games to come.. I've yet to ever post any type of fan boy esque review, but if there ever was a time, this is it. Sucker Punch has continued to provide my beloved console with gems (ie Uncharted) but this epic creation is on a whole new level. Almost enough for one to buy the console just to experience it. From itsThe Last of Us is why I play video games, and is truly the PS3's mantra for games to come.. I've yet to ever post any type of fan boy esque review, but if there ever was a time, this is it. Sucker Punch has continued to provide my beloved console with gems (ie Uncharted) but this epic creation is on a whole new level. Almost enough for one to buy the console just to experience it. From its breathtaking visuals, it's writing, it's ability to make you feel and keep you glued in from setpiece to setpiece, it is perhaps the best video game I've ever played (30+ years of gaming). MGS4 set the bar a while ago and this has blown it out of the water. Don't even think about it. Go out and not only buy this today, but keep it as it will be talked about for years to come. God bless you Sucker punch and PS3. Expand
  46. Jun 14, 2013
    I have only played the game for a few hours but from what I have played I can safely say that this game lives up to the hype and the high critic scores. The thing that has really stuck out with me the most in my time playing the game is literally the sounds. I was afraid that I would not get the full impact because I do not have surround sound, and I can only imagine what it is likeI have only played the game for a few hours but from what I have played I can safely say that this game lives up to the hype and the high critic scores. The thing that has really stuck out with me the most in my time playing the game is literally the sounds. I was afraid that I would not get the full impact because I do not have surround sound, and I can only imagine what it is like playing the game with a massive entertainment system, but nonetheless even on a regular HDTV with no extra speakers, the sounds of the game truly are amazing. The echoes off the walls, the birds and bugs buzzing around, amazing. The game is flat-out beautiful, not only does it run well but the vibrant colors you experience as you play through the game. I have spent a good deal of time just walking around looking at things while there is a break in the action.

I really only had a few gripes so far with the game, but I didn't feel that it was a reflection on the game itself, that is why I did not detract from the score I gave. One, I wish it was just a little bit more non-linear, and Two I was hoping bartering could happen between your character and NPC's in the game, perhaps this happens later and I just haven't reached that part I don't know. But for future installments I hope Naughty Dog gives just a little bit more freedom. All I have to say is I was NOT expecting to be shocked within the first ten minutes of the game, O.M.G.
  47. Jun 15, 2013
    Mere words cannot describe the emotional epic story this game has to offer. All I can say is that if you like a game with a good story and loveable characters get this right away (unless your a xbox user). Its an experience that any true gamer will enjoy.
  48. Jul 25, 2013
    as an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pcas an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pc if you wanted more money. just because they rival Microsoft doesn't mean it should be ps3 only Expand
  49. Aug 2, 2013
    I bought this game because it was Naughty Dog and that was it. In my opinion the game is overhyped and overrated. It's a good game, with an interesting story, but that's it. It's not the best game of all time, it's not the best Playstation game; it's not even the best game of 2013. It's a middle of the road good game.
    I hated the over the shoulder viewpoint and I found the direction
    I hated the over the shoulder viewpoint and I found the direction movement controls very clunky.
    A good game, but not a great one.
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    Top 3 games of this generation imo... it's up there with BioShock Infinite and Uncharted 2. Emotional story, great graphics, great gameplay, great sound... nearly perfect.
  51. Jun 14, 2013
    I will mention only graphic here. While the graphic slowdown and jaggies occasionally happen, its just a reminder of how old PS3 is, not the lag of talent of Naught Dog team. The lighting and shadow casting are the best in games. But the most important thing is this game had presences the most beautiful apocalypse world ever made. Developers had taken great care on building every detail ofI will mention only graphic here. While the graphic slowdown and jaggies occasionally happen, its just a reminder of how old PS3 is, not the lag of talent of Naught Dog team. The lighting and shadow casting are the best in games. But the most important thing is this game had presences the most beautiful apocalypse world ever made. Developers had taken great care on building every detail of the whole city to the smallest detail. The roads, trees, toys, books, posters and everything had been crafted and destructed perfectly to make you believe. Just travelling around the game is worth $60. I can't hardly wait to see this game and more Naughty Dog's games on PS4. Expand
  52. Jun 16, 2013
    A great game and naughty dog always seems to bring something new to gameplay making slight adjustments without risking too much and it worked. I noticed most people complained about the AI but seriously what game has perfect AI? Its got amazing singleplayer but thats not just all it also has multiplayer for people who like to compete. I think the story was byfar the best naughty dog hasA great game and naughty dog always seems to bring something new to gameplay making slight adjustments without risking too much and it worked. I noticed most people complained about the AI but seriously what game has perfect AI? Its got amazing singleplayer but thats not just all it also has multiplayer for people who like to compete. I think the story was byfar the best naughty dog has ever done and i was so emotionally attached to this game i didn't ever want it to end. Expand
  53. Jun 18, 2013
    Stellar graphics, Great Story, Awesome Gameplay. This game takes you on a rollercoaster of emotions, so don't even think about missing it. It is honestly like playing a movie.
  54. Jun 14, 2013
    Great! Great post-apocalyptic storyline, great graphics, gorgeous sound, a real hardcore gameplay. Along with GTA 5 and Beyond 2 souls home game of the year. And as always pikashniki sosnooley
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    The story was soooooo good it got me off my seat. The visuals and details are spot on I could spend hours looking around. The voice acting was awesome. This is one of my contenders for game of the year by far. Good job naughty dog another masterpiece
  56. Jun 14, 2013
    The game was just UNBELIEVABLE!!! and from being a long time fan of naughty dog from its beggining when it first made the crash bandicoot series, this game was a big step up for several reasons.
    1. It was naughty dog's first rated M game.
    1. It was naughty dog's first rated M game.
    2.They made the to attract older audiences with a darker theme, more realistic violence, and more action packed scenes and gameplay aswell as offering difficulty levels. Personally, i am very proud of naughty dog (as i am a big fan aswell). I could also tell they took their time and really focused on the detais of the settings and characters and wanted to make you feel as if you were experiencing this yourself.

And if you were a big fan like me and have owned all the naughty dog games you can agree with me that they have changed from fun, happy and cheerful games like crash bandicoot and jak and daxter series.
    In the future, I hope naughty dog continues to produce great games and stay as an exclusive company producing games only for the playstation.
  57. Jul 26, 2013
    When I saw the reviews for this game, I though it would be great. But the game is so repetitive, you just shoot the same zombies over and over again. This game does not deserve a 10/10.
  58. Nov 23, 2014
    I had moderate expectations when I picked this game up a few months after it came out, and it didn't even surpass those. I don't honestly understand the tongue bathing this game got with its hype, it's overrated to the point of being a joke.

The main leads Joel and Ellie are both unlikable and flat as characters, they're boorish, lacking personality other than pretty much a single defining feature (Grizzled macho douche for Joel and angsty teen for Ellie) and it changes very little. Every support character may as well have a sign stapled to their forehead saying "I will die or turn evil", and I'm pretty sure the enemy AI isn't allowed to dress itself in the mornings, very easily manipulated or spazzy.

The combat is duller than a bucket of beige paint at a paint drying convention. The "stealth" mechanics are poor at best, sneaking up on enemies is pointless and once you get seen, there is no way to break line of sight so they have to search for you, they just instantly know where you are no matter how you try and hide to recoup. The weapon mechanics are nothing to write home about, it's an over the shoulder shooter no different than Resident Evil 4, Gears of War or Mass Effect 2 & 3. I found the controls a bit sluggish as well, and the crafting system, though appropriate for the game type, was okay but not great.

The story was so predictable that I predicted every single major plot point BEFORE it happened. It tries to hide the fact that it's basically a zombie game by not labelling the zombie-like enemies zombies and the 'clickers' are frustrating at best, if you have more than one coming at you (or coming at you from behind), you're boned.

The only thing I can recommend is the graphics, better than the Uncharted series, but without a good story or characters, this game is not something I could recommend.
  59. Jun 22, 2013
    The game is fine, its okay. It is not an epic, revolutionary change as has been touted by so many. It plays like a more stealth-oriented Uncharted. There are no stakes, no risk of failure. The characters, story, gameplay and everything else fit neatly into cookie cutter molds. The game is good.

The multiplayer, however, is the biggest terd bowl I've seen in a long time online. Mismatched teams, bad options (like buying armor, which only benefits teams that are already ahead), confusing and tedious maps that you don't have a chance to learn until you've suffered your 80th losing match against people who play it constantly... even though its your first hour. Just pure garbage.
  60. Jun 24, 2013
    Where do I begin?

Where do I begin?

The Last of Us is one of this years best games so far, being a story/character driven game its very important for the story and characters to be good and it is. The characters are amazing, Naughty Dog really out done themselves even though they are just characters in a game and we shouldn't care what happens to them and yet I continually find myself in tears or smiling at some scenes. The Last of Us definitely generates a memorable game experience. The music is another one of its good factors, its such an amazing and beautiful soundtrack.
    Now I've read most of the reviews and a lot of people seem to give The Last of Us a perfect score, however there are those who give it a low rating. Claiming the game's AIs have flaws, the game play isn't great and the graphics are bad. Some people seem to be forgetting this minor detail. There is no perfect game. Every game is going to have its flaws, bugs or glitches. Why I gave this game a 9/10 is mostly based on that reason.
    There is no perfect game and this game unfortunately has many flaws, but at least believe that The Last of Us deserves a good score. Other gamers may disagree, but that's their choice. They played the game and didn't like it, maybe it wasn't their cup of tea. Everyone has a different way to go about the game. Some will love it, others hate it. That's what opinions are all about.
    I do in fact agree with the rating the critics gave The Last of Us as much as I agree with the User score overall.
    The Last of Us is a good game, one of this years best so far. I'd recommend it to anyone with a PS3, some may call this game a "masterpiece" others "Failure", but that's for you to decide.
    Don't base what you see of the game on reviews like this. If you think the game looks good, play it.
    Who knows you could very well like the game.
  61. Jun 25, 2013
    I cant quite put my finger on what it is exactly that makes this game not a perfect 10, but its something. For some reason it just cant seem to actually hold my interest for more than an hour. Bad controls aside (Better controls would have given a 9/10) this is a game you should purchase if you like linear story driven games but don't expect the masterpiece everyone else seems to beI cant quite put my finger on what it is exactly that makes this game not a perfect 10, but its something. For some reason it just cant seem to actually hold my interest for more than an hour. Bad controls aside (Better controls would have given a 9/10) this is a game you should purchase if you like linear story driven games but don't expect the masterpiece everyone else seems to be claiming it is. Expand
  62. Jun 28, 2013
    Zombie apocalypse games are a very common theme as of late, and The Last of Us is no exception. It twisted and turned the expected game-play for a zombie game into its own unique play-styles, and it is hard not to admit that the graphics are purely beautiful and atmospheric, and combined with the excellent voice acting it is easy to become immersed into the game.
    However, there are few
    However, there are few games that come without flaws: the AI of the game could have received some more work, making the combat quite easy and far from challenging resulting in no feeling of achievement or tension. Also, the only other issue I will personally put forth is a slight overuse of cliché with exception to the ending which made some aspects of the story predictable and thus losing its emotional connection to the player.

But to conclude, The Last of Us, holds strong in a genre that is becoming common, and adds more spice to a meal that is starting to be eaten.
  63. Jul 19, 2013
    A good game, but more flawed at the conceptual level than a Naughty Dog game should be and therefore disappointing. The AI teammates constantly ruin immersion when the player is trying to avoid enemies or perform a stealth attack because they are invisible to enemies. Naughty Dog had to do this to keep the AI from getting the player killed, but still be able to have an AI character forA good game, but more flawed at the conceptual level than a Naughty Dog game should be and therefore disappointing. The AI teammates constantly ruin immersion when the player is trying to avoid enemies or perform a stealth attack because they are invisible to enemies. Naughty Dog had to do this to keep the AI from getting the player killed, but still be able to have an AI character for Joel to interact with. This is the main problem with the game. Another problem is the linear nature of the game and the complete lack of choices afforded to the player, but since this is a Naughty Dog game these aren't surprising or unexpected. There is also far too many encounters with bandits who shoot on sight. This wouldn't be a problem if the enemies dropped ammo more often, but most enemies with guns do not drop any ammunition at all which is nonsense. Expand
  64. Aug 5, 2013
    The Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, paintingThe Last of Us is what proved to me that video games are going exactly where I want them to go. This game concretes my argument that video games are not only the greatest interactive art form, or the greatest storytelling medium, but just the greatest art medium the world has to offer. It's a beautiful, emotionally agonizing, epic journey that is unmatched by an book I've read, painting I've seen, Movie I've watched and so forth. The strange thing about the game is that the experience isn't your experience; It's Joel and Ellie's. Even though this is true, you create a massive emotional investment in the characters and everything they're going through. The story is told so flawlessly. It takes special pieces of their journey together and tells these bits at the perfect pace. The world Naughty Dog created is beautiful, yet depressing. The struggles and emotional hits the characters take in this dog-eat-dog world are hidden under the the green, bright, beautiful streets and woods. The Last of Us only has 2 issues; One being that the gameplay becomes bland at points. So much that you might be relieved when it's time for a cutscene. The other is very average AI. The Last of Us, for me, not only defined this generation of video games, but is the culmination of everything video games have been building towards for the past 40+ years. All of that said, the fact that the gameplay got bland in a video GAME stops it from being a 10 for me. Expand
  65. Aug 7, 2013
    Best PS3 game ever! Buy it now!!
    if you do not buy this, you really are missing out on a game that will most likely go down into history as being the best game the PS3 has to offer.
  66. Aug 20, 2013
    I had super high expectations for this game. I think anyone would with all the ridiculously high reviews it was getting from journalists/players alike. The prologue was a 10/10 no doubt. It was pretty standard zombie apocalypse fanfare, but it was so well-presented.

After the prologue I was super hyped. Then the real game started. To sum it up I'd say it's super-generic stealth gameplay. There is nothing unique or innovative about it. It's been done a million times in other games. Now I'm not a fan of innovation for innovation's sake, but compared to the relatively high quality of the game's also somewhat generic but well-presented story, characters, dialogue, and voice acting, the gameplay sticks out like a sore thumb. To me it just wasn't fun. I found myself dreading the gameplay segments and wanting more story.

If I were to rate TLoU on its story, characters, etc I'd give it an 8, maybe 8.5. But as a video game where gameplay is the most important factor (in my opinion), I can't give it more than a 6/10.
  67. Sep 23, 2013
    Naughty Dog has never produced anything original or inventive! Just as Crash Bandicoot ripped off Mario, The Last of Us is a rip off! Ha! This game needs to be called "Metal Gear Evil"! That's essentially what the game is! It's Solid Snake Redfield and Juno meet the Walking Dead and 28 Weeks Later! It follows the Resident Evil 5 formula, seemingly big open area turned into a linearNaughty Dog has never produced anything original or inventive! Just as Crash Bandicoot ripped off Mario, The Last of Us is a rip off! Ha! This game needs to be called "Metal Gear Evil"! That's essentially what the game is! It's Solid Snake Redfield and Juno meet the Walking Dead and 28 Weeks Later! It follows the Resident Evil 5 formula, seemingly big open area turned into a linear exploration escort mission, but the combat is ripped straight from Metal Gear Solid! Don't get me wrong, it's a great game, but you're better off renting than buying. It's only 20-ish hours of game play at the most. Expand
  68. Sep 27, 2013
    Perfect story Perfect single multi modes. Amazing graphics. Beautiful music. If you have PS3 and you don't have The Last of Us, why you have PS3 then?
  69. Oct 1, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! Its just like Half Life where everything just works and fits together perfectly. The story, graphics and gameplay work well together and I was interested right the way through the game. I'll definitely play it through again on a harder difficulty setting in the future. This game is worth getting a PS3 for!
  70. Nov 18, 2014
    I hated this game. Horrible plot, truly bad ending. The game was a constant thrust from one depressing scene to another with never a break from bleak and dismal content. Yes, I know that this is survival horror but unlike others of the genre, there is simply never any hope in this game. Not to mention the very tedious method of switching weapons and the constant scavenging for items toI hated this game. Horrible plot, truly bad ending. The game was a constant thrust from one depressing scene to another with never a break from bleak and dismal content. Yes, I know that this is survival horror but unlike others of the genre, there is simply never any hope in this game. Not to mention the very tedious method of switching weapons and the constant scavenging for items to keep the character alive and the illogic of enemies running through the same hail of bullets without harm while you get slaughtered. I greatly dislike illogical games where the character can't jump over a two foot fence to escape and instead has to climb over trucks, boulders and other obstacles. And the repetition, good grief. Always the same nonsense from area to area and the same solution as well. Expand
  71. Nov 1, 2016
    Overhyped junk.
    You see:
    Plot is just a mess of stupid hollywood cliches
    Gameplay is generic or below stealh action
    zombie theme is uninsipired and grew old in later years

graphx is good, so youngsters maybe be pleased, but that's it.
  72. Jun 15, 2013
    I Really liked this game! The story is very interesting and emotional! The characters are very "believable" because the developers did not forget the "little things" (e.g. Joel looking at his watch when he feels sad). The Graphics are very good for this console generation! It is not a Metro Last Light on the PC, however for consoles it is very good!
    Nevertheless, dont expect amazing new
    Nevertheless, dont expect amazing new Gameplay! Gameplay wise this is a rather "simple" third Person Action Adventure shooter. It was totally fine, however nothing groundbreaking!

I had loads of fun playing this game! That was mainly for the story, atmosphere and the way it was presented, but the gameplay was "just" solid. This did not effect my enjoyment of the game too much though.
    Overall definitely a buy! Although it might be a little bit overrated!
  73. Nov 3, 2014
    It was an average movie which a stereotypical Booker Dewitt hero and typical B grade cinema storyline that I've seen multiple times before, most of all there was nothing extraordinary about the gameplay. I think this team was embarrassed to make a video game.
  74. Jun 19, 2013
    OMG its been like sooo long since i have played a true survival horror game with great story and great characters its just the game of my dreams an absolute masterpiece 10/10 and one of the best gaming experience ever made you have to play this amazing game what are you waiting for go right now and buy it
  75. Jun 26, 2013
    There was no limit to my amazement throughout the game, the character development was astonishing, Joel evolving from the heartless smuggler to the compassionate yet still strong father figure in Ellie’s live. Now Ellie, there is hardly any words to describe how she transformed throughout the game!!! She starts as the naive 14 year old with no real knowledge of the world before theThere was no limit to my amazement throughout the game, the character development was astonishing, Joel evolving from the heartless smuggler to the compassionate yet still strong father figure in Ellie’s live. Now Ellie, there is hardly any words to describe how she transformed throughout the game!!! She starts as the naive 14 year old with no real knowledge of the world before the infected, while traversing the world beyond the QZ, she learns, experiences miracles and grows; closer to the end of her journey we she how she has changed to the strong and steadfast character we have grown to love!
    The story has amazing twists and turn, graphics are phenomenal and the enemies can instill fear into the greatest of men. The story is original and mind blowing with no real relation to prior “end of the world games” The Last of Us has found its way on its own two feet!
    I haven’t been so frightened in a game since the first time I attempted alone in the dark on playstation 1 when I was a whopping 7 years old.

Put simply it is the greatest game developed for the past century!
  76. Sep 4, 2013
    The biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounterThe biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounter enemies but not enough to keep its gameplay interesting. It could have easily avoided such redundancy by introducing new gameplay mechanics or new enemies or boss encounters in the mid game to keep things fresh and make gameplay more engaging. The whole campaign felt very flat. The last section of gameplay felt very anti-climatic. It was a bit more challenging than the rest of the game but it wasn't much different from what you were doing the entire time. Stealth, kill, collect items, repeat over and over. The online mode is nice but that won't save the main campaign from its mediocrity.
    If they ever make a sequel, I hope they'll make a better game than a better interactive b-movie.
  77. Sep 17, 2013
    It's not as good as expected :(
    You know, it's fun and all..but it's not... how can I explain.. it doesn't feel good!
    The survival aspect isn't really well made, you die a lot, but the reasons are pretty dumb. It's a lot of try and error imo and that's not cool.
    The Story is pretty good, but nothing you never have seen before.

Still a good game, but yeah..
  78. Jun 25, 2013
    One of the most moving and evocative games in memory. They break through a lot of clichés that plague gaming, and do so with a raw, gritty, unforgiving storyline. The game is carried by Ellie, and Joel simply serves as a conduit for the unique action and atmosphere of the game. Beautiful, simply put.
  79. Jul 10, 2013
    Solid game, but it is very overrated. There is no variation at all, you enter a room and there's either zombies or humans. That is the whole game. Not to mention that the AI is absolutely terrible. I played on hard and they still didn't see me from clear spots. The story is recycled too, I mean, zombies are everywhere, yay.
  80. Jun 25, 2013
    Okay, this is the final review update. There is stuff mentoned some pricks may consider a minor spoilers.

After the prologue, where you can already drool over borderline next-gen graphics, game slows to a crawl and stays there for some 4-5 hours about 1/4 of the whole game. During that time, not much interesting happens, you'll just learn about the game mechanics and weird and somewhat clunky control scheme.

You may also notice a bunch of bugs and graphical glitches the game has quite a lot of those, especially when compared to Uncharted games.

Eventually you'll meet the guy named Bill and things will slowly get better. You'll start to get the hang of stealth and combat and, more importantly, the story of Joel and Ellie will start grow on you. To be honest, caring about the main characters is the main drive of the whole game, because while stealth will get good, it never quite gets great and shooting on its own felt kinda crappy all the way till the end.

The resulting mix of stealth and action does however feel very natural and not being for various AI cheats, The Last of Us would have passed for a great stealth game. But the AI cheats and that kinda undermines your efforts to stay hidden. Enemies sometims just start walking towards you for no reason, or some script will send them your way, or reinforcements will come from who knows where, already aware of your position, etc. The hearing mechanics that allows you to detect enemies behind obstacles if they are making noise does not work on those in "other areas" and it is not good when "nobody around" turns into "four guys right in front of you" just because you walked through some door or went up the stairs.

AI cheating is probably the problem #1 I have with this game. There are various less important things there, actualy there is quite a lot of them TLoU certainly could use more polish on many fronts but I'd say that only the AI related stuff has serious impact on gamplay. (Ok, maybe some "levels" like hotel or campus could be shorter and the part in the snowstorm was boring pain in the ass.)

Relationship between Joel and Elie is the meat of the story the events through the game are but a way to shape that relationship and the ending, while emotionaly strong, was quite predictable in its conclusion.

At first I thought TLoU is a failed game that I Am Alive is a better choice with similiar atmosphere. But nah, the strengths of The Last of Us lie elsewhere. You have to endure some mediocore gameplay to get to the good stuff, but in the end it was worth it. It won't be a GOTY for me, but it is definitely up there.
  81. Jul 5, 2013
    I know that most people are judging the game by it's story, and I could only judge it by that, i would give the game 100/10. Now, here are categories and my opinions and scores. Story: 10000000/10. Gameplay: 10/10. Atmosphere: 10/10. Graphics: 10/10. Amount of glitches/bugs I encountered: 4. Plus, the AI is pretty dumb at times. Overall, 9.9/10. One of the best games I've ever played.
  82. Apr 15, 2014
    the initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between thethe initial hype I had for this game was thwarted after seeing it wasn't going to be on the xbox but my buddy hyped it back up for me and talked me into a play through. I fell asleep. the first 4 hours is a bore fest of picking up items, walking really slow, helping a girl swim in a repetitive manner of grab this go here come back and then you can continue. the dialogue between the characters wasn't interesting to me and the story's pace was to slow to keep me interested. the 3rd person shooting is straight out of the 90's. graphics are alright. Expand
  83. Jul 11, 2013
    Best game ever created.
    I've never attached any book/movie/video game character as I did with ellie and joel.
    A freaking masterpiece and a console seller.
  84. Aug 31, 2014
    Good movie with a bad and unnecessary gameplay inside. Multiplayer - not fun. Stealth is made pretty bad. History has a hole and does not disclose the characters up to the end. This is not a game of the year.
  85. Aug 26, 2013
    The Last of Us is a game that can most accurately be described as Uncharted (with Zombies). It has it's moments, but quickly becomes a repetitive mess of menial tasks that provide you with little to no gratification. The story is it's most redeeming quality, but even that feels a bit overdone. But hey, zombies. They're everyone's favorite cliche nowadays.
  86. Oct 11, 2013
    I give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of mercilessI give this game a 5/10 because it contains only half the required components for a great videogame. The story was compelling, the characters were hilarious, and the graphics beautiful. However, that's all. The gameplay was identical to all the Uncharted games. You play a seemingly invincible character who slaughters hundreds of infected/bandits. And between sequences of merciless slaughter you got to watch a beautiful cutscene...Only for it to lead into another sequence of merciless slaughter. Rinse and repeat for 15 hours and that's 'The Last of Us."

Remove all those shooting sequences, what are you left with? A movie. If I wanted to watch movie I'd go to my local theater and pay 12 bucks as opposed to 60. "The Last of Us" lacks all the things needed to make it a videogame.

There's a one button crafting system that relies on the same three ingredients. That's only other game mechanic besides walking and shooting. (Oh and sometimes hiding and shooting.) The only puzzles in the game relied on floating pallets and witty banter. Sometimes moving a plank or two.

When I saw countless "10/10" scores, I was expecting something groundbreaking. I wanted to be as wowed as everybody else, I really did. But as the credits rolled, I had to search for a reason to like the game; and didn't come up with anything. I didn't feel rewarded for completing the game whatsoever.

For those curious, I played the game on easy because I feel that a good game should stand up on its own, regardless of the difficulty of the enemies.
  87. Nov 6, 2013
    Moving story, amazing soundtrack, fantastic graphics and a real feel for what your characters are going through. Naughty Dog have delivered the very best for PS3. A must have!
  88. Sep 6, 2016
    Is The Last of Us a good game? Not a chance. Boring gameplay, horrible characters, cliched plot, and uninspired graphics. Naughty Dog, why is is it so hard for you to make a good game after Jak-X?
  89. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that didThis game was fantastic, the story was engaging, and the characters were really attaching. Ellie came from an annoying brat into one of the funniest characters that i know and love. SLIGHT SPOILERS, VERY SLIGHT At first, the story is predictable, but it got better by the end. If you read crabdog's review, it said something about a missed opportunity of replacing his daughter, that did happen, with a small glance, a person with a brain can realize that joel is replacing his daughter with ellie, when joel solely glances at something, and that is another amazing part of the game. it is like a movie, they don't have to use words to get the point across, their eyes talk a lot, which is amazing for a game. to the people complaining about graphics, who gives a the game is beautiful, with an amazing story, graphics don't matter, maybe i am biased because i grew up with a colecovision, but the graphics are good enough to see everything in great detail. Finally, the combat is clunky and annoying at times, but it is like that for a reason, this game is not call of duty, the combat is not made to shoot at most parts, shooting (most of the time) is a punishment for not remaining stealthy, anyway you can fix the weapon sway with upgrades.
    Buy it or not, you should buy it, once you start playing the game, it would be hard to let go of it. It is addictive!!!
  90. Jun 26, 2013
    I'd give this gaming experience an "11" if it were possible. I just completed this remarkable journey, and as I listened to the music as the credits rolled, the emotional, gut wrenching toll on my psyche refused to dissipate. Scenes of beauty and hope balanced the dismal, dark world Joel and Ellie sojourned. I consider myself fortunate to have played what is more than just a game.I'd give this gaming experience an "11" if it were possible. I just completed this remarkable journey, and as I listened to the music as the credits rolled, the emotional, gut wrenching toll on my psyche refused to dissipate. Scenes of beauty and hope balanced the dismal, dark world Joel and Ellie sojourned. I consider myself fortunate to have played what is more than just a game. This is an amazing venture for which words of praise can never do it justice enough. Expand
  91. Sep 27, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feelsNaughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feels repetitive. The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story. Expand
  92. Jun 21, 2013
    There are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is theThere are good games, and then there's Medal of honor warfighter, The Last of Us is a good game, but not as good as some may tell you. The game play is repititive, with easily exploitable enemies and lack of variety in said enemies, the can't even really be called puzzles, moving a ladder is not as hard as some may think. The thing that makes this game stand out from the crowd is the relationships between main and supporting characters. Ellie and Joel have great chemistry, I mean GREAT chemistry. The graphics are also incredible, not suprising coming from the company that got past the steep learning curve of ps3 specs. Overall, a game with not the best gameplay, but an amazing cast and story. Expand
  93. Jun 22, 2013
    I can understand why some people consider this game over hyped. If you approach the game as a stealth/shooter only, you will be disappointed. Not because it's bad, it's not, but because this game is about more than what you control.

This game is about characters, about traveling through a world that wants to you dead, and surviving at all costs. If you're anything like me this game will touch you emotionally, you will empathise with their struggle, and be disturbed at how cruel the world has become, and how real it all could be. This may be lost on those that are too young, or incapable of letting themselves become immersed in the story. If you aren't however, this is not a game you will soon forget.
  94. Jun 22, 2013
    The only thing you need to know about this game, is that this game is not like any other game.
    Because this game, will most definitely become one of the best games you will ever play.
  95. Jun 23, 2013
    Don't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the storyDon't get me, wrong, I loved playing this game, but people on the internet have hyped to up so much, that it actually prevented me from enjoying it as much as I could. Mostly because people have been saying that it was "THE CITIZEN KANE OF VIYDA GAMES", which in reality, it isn't. Sure, it's good, but unlike something like BioShock Infinite or even Metal Gear Solid 2, everything the story in this game does could have easily been done in a movie. As for the gameplay, while it was satifisying to kill enemies, it got really repetitive after awhile. Overall, The Last of Us was decent, but I would like to play the version they showed at E3 2012, which looks much better. Expand
  96. Jun 24, 2013
    The Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. GraphicallyThe Last of Us is certainly the best game of 2013. The story is just amazingly written and thought of. Joel and Ellie are one of the best characters this generation has to offer. The setting is beautiful and very dark. There will be scenes throughout the game where you would feel uncomfortable, sad and relieved. Everybody you see can die and could really strike you emotionally. Graphically this game looks fantastic, it's probably the best looking game on the PS3 to date. Despite some minor bugs and glitches, that doesn't even ruin the experience. This single-player story of this game would make you want to replay it more than once. But the The Last of Us has more to offer and that is multiplayer. Honestly, the game would still be perfect without multiplayer, but that's not the case here. This multiplayer is unique and requires you to have a different approach on winning. It is very tactical, very fun with friends and unique. The only 2 problems i have with multiplayer is that it lacks map content and game modes. It has a fine number of maps (7) and only 2 game modes. But it has already been confirmed that there will be more multiplayer and single-player content on the way. This game is the best game i ever played in my entire life, i would recommend this game to everyone. Expand
  97. Jun 24, 2013
    First off about me:
    I don't own a stupid PlayStation 3, nor have I ever owned a PlayStation before. I hate the controller feel.. I have always had an Xbox...
    First off about me:

I borrowed my brother-in-law's PlayStation 3 for the past week. I heard good reviews about 'The Last Of Us' video game and rented it at red box to give it a whirl. After 1 hour of gameplay I still hated the controller and struggled to learn it but the gameplay was unreal, the only thing I can compare the game to is Half-Life. After 3 days of renting the red box, I had to return the console to my brother-in-law's.. I wanted to finish the game, but not only that I wanted the game. If I could I would re-format my Xbox 360 into a platform that would play this game. I returned the red box, then purchased this game brand spanking new. I played it for a grand total of 14 hours straight, didn't sleep at all for one day just because I was so engulfed into the game, emotionally it was playing my feelings like a puppet, I felt so close to the characters at the end that I feel like I was with them! I beat the game and I usually get all ADHD (I have that) and never pick up a game again after beating it.. But I want to play it over and over again, and I haven't even played multiplayerr yet!
    I was going to get an Xbox One, but after playing this game, I now am banking my whole decision on This game alone. If naughty dog announces they are going to open up to other consoles, I will be getting it on the xbox one. If not.. I'm getting a PS4.
    I am a master at the controller now, and love that game. Keep making more!
  98. Jun 24, 2013
    Naughty Dog has been a great studio behind every one of their games. From Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and through their Uncharted series... and now the Last of Us. I'll be honest, the game is not perfect like many may claim, but what it does do, it does very well. It puts you on edge and suspense in a creepy yet beautiful future. The gameplay isn't quick like most games, but slow,Naughty Dog has been a great studio behind every one of their games. From Crash Bandicoot, Jak & Daxter, and through their Uncharted series... and now the Last of Us. I'll be honest, the game is not perfect like many may claim, but what it does do, it does very well. It puts you on edge and suspense in a creepy yet beautiful future. The gameplay isn't quick like most games, but slow, allowing you to evaluate each opportunity and how to approach it. And even the most well thought out plans will fail, and when they do all hell breaks lose. The acting is top notch, the graphics are pushing the last of what the PS3 has to offer, and the length of the campaign will make you feel like its a long journey... I've run into some graphical glitches, and the slow gameplay is hard to adapt to since I am used to the faster paced Uncharted's they've made, but what it does is different from most games, and that is why it shines above them. Overall, I'd say I still prefer their Uncharted series, due to the fact that I like the action and humor and walk away from those games feeling good like an action movie should. All the while when playing the Last of Us, I find myself having to take breaks due to it's emotional and stressful suspenseful nature. But that is what they were going for, and damn did they do it well. 8/10 only cuz Uncharted 2 gets a 9/10 on my list, and that is the best game I've ever played. And there's no such thing as a 10/10... yet. Expand
  99. dz9
    Jun 24, 2013
    To start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice actingTo start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice acting and motion capturing combined with the atmosphere make this game a visual delicacy. The gameplay is a simple and familiar one (I can understand the people that can not bare this game because of the familiar stealth), effective and tense in parts, but hair-pulling and repetitive in others. You pretty much have to play stealth for the majority of your time playing TLoU, fighting your way past zombie-inspired monsters and your fellow human survivors. The stealth is very simple but overall effective, however when the game gives you the objective to clear all enemies in a given area, it makes the game feel too "video game-y" and breaks the immersion it tries so desperately to set up. Also breaking the immersion is the awful Ai. For your allies, too often do they get in your way or frantically and aimlessly running in plain sight of the enemy without even somehow being spotted. For your enemies, the lack of variety of the zombies make getting through them extremely repetitious and the AI for the human foes range from Super Sight, eyes in the back of their head, and unbelievable stupidity. The human AI is never consistent and too often will your carefully thought out stealth streak be interrupted by the unbearable AI. The crafting system is a great thought and raises the tense moments of combat even more due to the live action inventory mechanic, only gripe regarding it is the fact is that I never felt constricted to craft items which I should feel in an apocalyptic horror game, because although the ammo felt balanced right, the supplies to make molotovs, nailbombs, and health packs came all too in abundance. The story although not outstanding, is workable, it gets you from point A to point B effectively while coming up with a few cool ideas along the way. The best part of the story is the interactions between the characters you'll meet, seeing them evolve as characters and grow before the player's eyes is a narrative treat.
    In the End: The Last of Us sports a decent story, a great and believable cast of characters, outstanding visuals, but lacks depth and consistency in the gameplay especially with in the AI department.
    The Last of Us 7.8/10
  100. Jun 26, 2013
    The Last Of US is one of those rare games that come out every now and then. It is a game so immersive and emotional it will actually make you care about the protagonists. The emotion this game can bring out in the player is astonishing. The Last Of Us is excellent in every major way. All the minor details really add to the amazing atmosphere that the game accomplishes. I found myself neverThe Last Of US is one of those rare games that come out every now and then. It is a game so immersive and emotional it will actually make you care about the protagonists. The emotion this game can bring out in the player is astonishing. The Last Of Us is excellent in every major way. All the minor details really add to the amazing atmosphere that the game accomplishes. I found myself never wanting to put it down and really investing myself in the main characters. The game does have minuscule issues, but the fantastic storyline more then makes up for any negatives. Expand
  101. Oct 27, 2014
    It's okay. The AI is pretty terrible, upon a second play through the scripted events remove the enjoyment from the first play through. The character interaction is decent, the music is good, the plot is okay. It's nothing special, but for a Triple-A game it's definitely better than most.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]