The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Mar 15, 2014
    GOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources areGOOD: great and engaging story, good characters, plays out like a movie, superb first impressions, beautiful and lush environments, very hard, makes you feel cautious throughout the entire game, excellent crafting system, awesome guns and equipment, you have the need to use everything which makes you feel like nothing in the game is useless, have to find equipment because resources are scarce, Ellie is a good partner, got to play as Ellie, fun multiplayer in which you also have to be cautious, one of the creepiest boss battles ever, and a nice ending

BAD: capped at 720P, I did not have the need to get every single collectible

FINAL VERDICT: Games like this makes people think why we need a new console generation every 7 years. The Last Of Us is easily the best Sony exclusive ever made and one of the top 10 best games ever.
    Worth $60 dollars and worth buying a PS3 just to play it. This game should be played by everyone single gamer.
  2. Mar 15, 2014
    The last of us is my favourite game ever, It's story is fantastic with great characters like Joel and Ellie who are both expertly acted by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson. The gameplay is exicting and terrifiying whether you're fighting the hunters or infected it's exilarting with one especially scary sequence in the basement of a hotel in which i cowardly hide in a corner with my shotgunThe last of us is my favourite game ever, It's story is fantastic with great characters like Joel and Ellie who are both expertly acted by Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson. The gameplay is exicting and terrifiying whether you're fighting the hunters or infected it's exilarting with one especially scary sequence in the basement of a hotel in which i cowardly hide in a corner with my shotgun aimed nervously. The multiplayer of The Last of us is suprisingly great, it's not just a reskin of uncharted's but a tense team driven experince that's defintly worth a try. The Last of us is argubaly the best PS3 game yet with an excellent story, tense gameplay and great multiplayer it should be in every playstation gamers collection. Expand
  3. Mar 14, 2014
    The Last Of Us is a true gaming marvel. It achieves the pinnacle of story telling along with a fantastic combat system. The game may have a few bugs, like when you're sneaking around infected or hunters, your companions might walk right in front of them or run around the place and not get detected.

I believe this game is at it's best when Joel an Ellie are battling with hunters and covering on another. A moment that made me smile was when I was out of ammo in my guns, Ellie shouted out "Hey, a**hole!" and then threw a brick at him allowing me to run at him and smash his head against the wall.

Naughty Dog have really outdone themselves once again. Even with Uncharted, I got bored of the combat eventually, because it just felt like I was being forced through these repetitive combat sequences to get to the next cut scene. But with The Last Of Us, I didn't feel this was whatsoever. I enjoyed the combat system because it felt fluid and realistic. Every punch of your fist or smack of a metal pipe felt like it had weight to it. I especially liked how after getting shot or hit in the face, Joel's nose or other part of his face might be bleeding.

Each combat (or stealth) sequence also felt unique. Different areas allow for different strategies, will I go up on that balcony and get a vantage point, or will I just sneak by and avoid a confrontation entirely. These are the choices that give this game a feeling of originality.

The Last Of Us is one of the defining game of every generation, it blends immersive combat with a truly great story about a middle aged man and a teenage girl crossing the United States of America which has been desolated by an infection.
  4. Mar 14, 2014
    Uma história brilhante com personagens carismáticos e um multiplayer divertido, sem duvidas uma compra garantida para todos os gamers, merecia ser o jogo do ano.
  5. Mar 14, 2014
    I did write a review for this game but i wanna go back and rate certain categories.
    Story-10/10 Graphics-10/10 Controls- 9/10 Ease to Learn- 7
    Music- 8/10 Length- 10/10 Replay ability 4/10 Overall- 9.2/10
  6. Mar 13, 2014
    Is surprising the awesomeness of this game. The characters, the plot, the gameplay, the graphics, the scenario and all in this game are great. Worth every single penny that you spend in this game. The Last of Us is a masterpiece!
  7. Mar 13, 2014
    I arrived a bit late and I don't know what can I say more than what the others said. Well, I will say the flaws. The permanent bugs, the creatures can see you, but your partner cannot be seen. Also, the melee is a bit confusing. It step forward alone if you keep punching a creature and I think it bad to see this. But, apart from this, everything is captivating.
  8. Mar 12, 2014
    Please note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept aPlease note that I barely played the multiplayer and am rating this on the story mode. I know this review is late, but I would like to say that this game is phenomenal and is an amazing experience. Throughout the game, you find yourself being overprotective of the teenage female protagonist, Ellie, and not worrying about your safety as much as hers. I really felt like her dad as I kept a gun out every time she went alone to open a door or pull a lever. Naughty dog has definitely done their job on creating and atmosphere that you fear every door and corner you pass. This is definitely one of the top ten best games ever made. I completely recommend this game to ANYONE. I really feel like I know Joel and Ellie on a personal level, after playing this game. If you haven't played this game, you should be ashamed. GO OUT AND BUY IT KNOW! Expand
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    This game is simply gorgeous. It gives the sensation that is the best game ever for the PS3, and since the new gen consoles are here, it will be forever. Hopefully it's the beginning of a series, because anybody that played it would surely like to play a new TLOU story as soon as possible. Do not miss it.
  10. Mar 11, 2014
    All good games I play naked while either rubbing Melted cheese whizz all over my body or peanut body.... The Last of Us was ne of those games where I got to put away my torture devices that I use on myself during gaming, and bring out the penis pump... I like to stay rock hard when I play this game... clickers make me tick..... Im late n the review because I gathered 2000 rats and I playedAll good games I play naked while either rubbing Melted cheese whizz all over my body or peanut body.... The Last of Us was ne of those games where I got to put away my torture devices that I use on myself during gaming, and bring out the penis pump... I like to stay rock hard when I play this game... clickers make me tick..... Im late n the review because I gathered 2000 rats and I played this game naked with them rats while they nawed on my flesh.... it was beautiful......Left behind... that was good too... I saw the word "behind" in the title so I figured Id stick a cucumber up my ass while I played it... Pretty good game if I do say so myself.. Expand
  11. Mar 11, 2014
    I will keep it short. This is simply THE BEST GAME I EVER PLAYED.
    Loved the game-play, graphics and everything.
    The story was amazing. No other game had ever made me so emotional.
    Brilliant work by Naughty Dog, as usual.
  12. Mar 8, 2014
    The greatest game of this generation. We dive into this universe in awe and full emotion capacity. The Last Of Us portrays its message clearly and gives us an experience that we may never get again (unless Naughty Dog tops it off with a sequel, which is not impossible btw, hehe.) But hey, I have never played a video game as spectacular as this. I can emphasize with the story and the way itThe greatest game of this generation. We dive into this universe in awe and full emotion capacity. The Last Of Us portrays its message clearly and gives us an experience that we may never get again (unless Naughty Dog tops it off with a sequel, which is not impossible btw, hehe.) But hey, I have never played a video game as spectacular as this. I can emphasize with the story and the way it invites us to enter its universe is really marvelous. An unforgettable video game, it still resonates to this day in my mind. Expand
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    Put simply, this game - for what it tries to accomplish - is perfect but for one mechanic: the team (and occasionally enemy) AI. These things, however, do not affect gameplay per se, but they do affect your suspense of disbelief, which in a game that tries to redefine "immersive", is a huge deal. So let's go through that first:

When you play as Joel - especially in stealth cases -

When you play as Joel - especially in stealth cases - Ellie has the propensity to run around in rooms full of enemies, or engage in combat when you clearly just want to hide. Sometimes, in cases where you do EVERYTHING to be as quiet as you can, instead of whispering she speaks up loudly. Fortunately, ND knew this and thus her "actions" do not affect gameplay: enemies will not "see" her if she runs around when you are hidden, clickers won't hear her loud speaking when you clearly want to be quiet. In other words, she's simply not there as far as the enemies are concerned. The same goes for enemy AI in sneak mode, Joel can sneak up to an enemy, choke him out with him making struggling noises, and another enemy that stands just a couple feet away does not hear what's happening.

So, these "AI in sneak mode" issues clearly do not affect gameplay, but they DO affect your suspense of disbelief. All games do this, no developer has with 100% success come around certain issues with gameplay where everything "makes sense". However, it is an elevated issue in TLoU because of its ambitions to be THE definitive immersive gaming experience.

And honestly, it really, really, really does ace it in that department, save for the aforementioned AI issues. The fighting/shooting mechanics work great, the stealth portions are done well, the level design is amazing, environments are highly diverse and ND really went out to make this a survival game, NOT an action game: Every single bullet, every single arrow and every single brick you find is literally essensiall for your survival. This game brings back mechanics that have long been gone in survival games: scarcity of resources. Not since the original Resident Evil trilogy have games put a snare around the players regarding the resources. And it's never done in a cheap manner either; if you don't have enough bullets there are always other options for you to get through the hurdles.

The story is actually fairly standard in broad terms but very unique when you look closer. The post-apocalyptic atmosphere is excecuted perfectly, the sense of time elapsing as the pair traveling across the US on their pilgrimage for worldly salvation accurately feels agonizing, long, exhausting and diverse. The sound is amazing, from the small sounds of wind and rivers, to the distant screams of the runners, to the sporradic comments that the characters make throughout. Everything feels alive and is a true feat in the immersive department, no other game as far as I am conscerned nails "believable environment" as good as TLoU. It's more like watching a movie than playing a game (not the MGS4 type but the good type). The best feature in the sound department is definitely the music - which is excecuted perfectly (especially in the end scene) and... the voice actors. As far as the character go, they are the definitive cream of the crop; the characters are the single entity of this game that make it as great as it is.

Ellie and Joel are real. They act as one would think a mourning father that has seen loved ones die for decades would act, or how a 14 year old that grew up in a world of decay and sorrow would act, and their progressive development is so evident and so compelling. You FEEL for Joel and Ellie, you WANT them to do well, it's not YOU playing the game and 2 passive shell-puppets on the screen that you live vicariously through, this game IS about Ellie the 14 year old girl, and Joel the southern lone ranger that's taking care of Ellie. This game has as much character development as the best of TV series, or movies, or books. Granted, that statement might sound somewhat hyperbolic, but if you don't believe me, play the game and see for yourself.

In closing, Ill just say TLoU is an amazing piece of video game art. Ive played video games for 2 decades and as an avid video gamer I am proud of what ND have achieved here, for my favorite entertainment medium. People have to take into account where gaming as entertainment stands in todays society, and how it compares to mediums like movies/books, to understand the sheer impact of this game, and to how important this game might've proven to be in the future. TLoU broke boundaries and reached audiences that are unprecedented in video gaming. This game will be remembered as a staple in gaming history, and hopefully will lead the gaming medium into the field of being taken as seriously as the most serious of movies, or books. With games like TLoU and Uncharted, ND are definitely carrying the torch for the sake of the entire gaming community, and as far as Im concerned, they are our true leaders.
  14. Mar 5, 2014
    Finished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more thanFinished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more than take all of this console generation's staple mechanics, systems, and story developing elements and put them together in a highly polished, fantastic looking game. 3 to 5 years ago I would've given this a 9.5. But in 2014 it is completely generic in almost every respect. It does have some emotional depth to it, but nothing you haven't seen in 1,500 better movies. There was a point in the first few hours I thought I was going to have to quit out of sheer boredom. And when it did pick up, all the "no, man, it's not Uncharted... the gameplay is better and the story is PHENOMENAL! It's not just a long cutscene. You'll see, man. Trust me." statements I kept hearing never panned out. The boredom never really went away... the story never really panned out like I was expecting. The AI was terrible. I tried to immerse myself, but then I'd witness Ellie running in place into a clicker who would then come after me for not sneaking slow enough 30 feet away. Even though it is their best, I believe Naughty Dog has already gotten too many free passes. And the gaming crowd has disappointed me with what we'll give 10s to and with the acceptance of faults that should be fixed by now. All that said, It is a pretty good game. It would've been great 5 years ago, but not in 2014. My real rating is 7.5, but I round up. Expand
  15. Mar 5, 2014
    This will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS asThis will probably go down as one of my favorite games of this console generation (being a close second behind Red Dead Redemption). From the story to the combat, everything felt fresh and new. Playing it on survivor mode also added to the intensity with limited supplies. I can see a lot of FPS people not liking this game but I see that as more so not liking anything that isn't a FPS as opposed to not actually liking the game itself. The story was actually better than most blockbuster movies you would see these days. If you liked other Naughty Dog titles like Uncharted then you'll love this game. However if you don't usually play anything outside of COD and combat is way more important to you than story/visuals then this may not be for you. Personally I loved it. Expand
  16. Mar 5, 2014
    a masterpiece nothing else !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  17. Mar 4, 2014
    Wonderful storyline that makes you want to go on and finish the game. I expected much more from the gameplay and the A.I. Not a great action game, neither a great stealth game, but overall a must have!
  18. Mar 3, 2014
    Esse jogo foi um dos melhores que já joguei na minha vida, adorei a historia, adorei os personagens, e também a vida de cada um deles, e nunca vou esquecer desse jogo fantástico que é o The Last of Us.
  19. Mar 2, 2014
    I work on a 10, 5, 0 score. 10 = Id buy for ps3, 5 = Probably wouldnt buy. 0 = Would not buy. This game is a must have if you are a ps3 fan. It is one of the better exclusives for the system.
  20. Mar 1, 2014
    The Last of Us. A game that will be remembered.

Naughty Dog have made a masterpiece. The Last of Us brings you a story that will touch you. The characters, the world and overall the gameplay itself make this game the best that I've ever played. Joel and Ellie are characters that you will fall in love with The game tells the story of their relationship and how from totally disliking
    The Last of Us. A game that will be remembered.

Joel and Ellie are characters that you will fall in love with
    The game tells the story of their relationship and how from totally disliking each other they become best friends and even more.

Throughout the game you will find interesting items that you can use to craft bombs, shivs, med kits and other things to help you survive in the environment which is done beautifully. The combat system is one of the most interesting things you will see. It's not about run and gun, you have to use your brain and think before you act which will be a blast because of the many different ways to approach each fight. You can even chose to avoid conflict completely.

The graphics of the game are one of the most satisfying graphics you'll see not because of how well they are done (and they are done VERY well) but because of the way they make the game look so believable and so much mor satisfying.

You might find yourself crying while playing the game and you might feel attached to the character which will make you think about the world that we live in and how people treat one another. Joel and Ellie will touch your heart and you will have an experience that you would want to remember forever and make you wish that they were real.
  21. Feb 28, 2014
    This is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade yourThis is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade your weapons. I have grown a bit tired of all the unlocks and leveling up in games these days, but its a minor detail here. Playing this title is an experience and it is one of my favourite games of ALL times! Expand
  22. Feb 28, 2014
    I am giving The Last of Us a 10 out of 10 because A: It deserves it, and B: in order to try to balance the overall user score against the idiots giving it a 1 or 2 just to be **** If anyone has issues with the game it is understandable (everyone has opinions after all), but none of the negative comments I read warranted anything less than a 6! "This game is great, buy it is full ofI am giving The Last of Us a 10 out of 10 because A: It deserves it, and B: in order to try to balance the overall user score against the idiots giving it a 1 or 2 just to be **** If anyone has issues with the game it is understandable (everyone has opinions after all), but none of the negative comments I read warranted anything less than a 6! "This game is great, buy it is full of cliches... 1.0" or "This game has amazing graphics and enjoyable characters but the shooting is hard.... 2.0" I mean come on. If your review is objective and you dislike certain parts of a game, the objectiveness of the review should cause you to give credit where credit is due.

If you like third person action stealth game play with solid mechanics. you will love this game.
    If you like post apocalyptic settings with dynamic level design, you will love this game.
    If you desire well fleshed out characters and top notch voice acting, you will love this game.
  23. Feb 27, 2014
    The last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gamingThe last of us is not just any ordinary video game. It's more of an experience. This game is rated Mature because of the the issues it deals with. It dares to tread where no other games would. It shows us what we really are capable of and the things that might happen when all hope is lost. It makes us question our morality. This is not just a game, it is so much more. It proves that gaming can be an art form. this is a truly remarkable game. It deserves all the plaudits because it truly is the Greatest game ever made. This game will be remembered for a long long time Expand
  24. Ape
    Feb 26, 2014
    Great game - great story - great everything. If you like the Uncharted series but want a little more gore or realism from the game then this is for you. Just watch out for the clickers...
  25. Feb 25, 2014
    One of the best games I have ever played. Great visuals, great game play value and amazing story line. This also came with one of the best single player D.L.C updates. Would recommend this game to everyone, except twitch shooter junkies and Facebook game players. If you are exempt from these two, and have an intelligence level higher than 50.I.q. then you will love this game.
  26. Feb 25, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. One of the best games of 2013 and probably one of the best games I ever played. Incredible plot, amazing characters, dark world and amazing atmosphere never let you start feeling bored. By the way, I cried in the end) Expand
  27. Feb 25, 2014
    play this just play this nothing more great story great graphics great gameplay this game is a masterpeace nothing is bad just play it and you wil get it.
  28. Feb 24, 2014
    Only one word can describe this game: masterpiece. Great, emotionally driven story, great and relatable characters, and wonderful gameplay, I greatly recommend The Last Of Us to anyone who hasn't played it. While I wish it could have been a few hours longer in length, this game was still nothing short of a masterpeace.
  29. Feb 24, 2014
    The last of us is one of the greatest game ever made. The story is just something amazing and touching. The end is cliffhanger in my opinion and i wish that there is going to be The last of us 2.
  30. Feb 23, 2014
    What a piece of work this is! Beautiful graphics, terrific voice acting, gripping gameplay, and such a compelling story! Naughty Dog has delivered one of the most compelling, ambitious, and emotional games of the 21st century.
  31. Feb 22, 2014
    I think that The last of us is the most brilliant, intelligent, amazing, mature and emotional adventure of the ps360 generation. The better goodbye to PS3.
  32. Feb 22, 2014
    Very good game, however, it is overrated. It's just not quite the 10/10 , game of the generation people say it is. The game play is good, for what it is (slow paced, survival gameplay), but taking a time out to look for a ladder, or pausing to use "listening mode" while sneaking really took me out of the game, and hurt the immersion. The game's story is also nothing special. AlthoughVery good game, however, it is overrated. It's just not quite the 10/10 , game of the generation people say it is. The game play is good, for what it is (slow paced, survival gameplay), but taking a time out to look for a ladder, or pausing to use "listening mode" while sneaking really took me out of the game, and hurt the immersion. The game's story is also nothing special. Although presented well (fantastic voice acting and narrative, and some of the most beautiful cut scenes I've ever) seen) the story is predictable, and the ending was abrupt. Joel and Ellie though, we're fantastic characters, and there was emotion in latter parts of the game. The aesthetics are amazing. The game has the looks of a next-gen game, is backed by a great soundtrack, and as I said before, is presented EXTREMELY well through cut scenes and voice acting the likes of which could give a dialogue-heavy game like Mass Effect could contend with. All this said, I would give this game a 7/10, but this game has other trick up it's sleeve, offering one of the most enjoyable multiplayers I've ever played. A 4v4 versus match is set up, offering 3 modes. A TDM, a no re-spawn TDM, and a mode called "Interrogation," where you must execute enemies to gain info on their lockbox location, which you then must open. The latter is the most enjoyable mode. It is essentially a refined Uncharted 3 multiplayer, with survival aspects and a two-sided story line. This boosts my review to an 8/10. My final word: A GotY nominee, but I would not hand it the award. Expand
  33. Feb 22, 2014
    The story for this game is amazing, emotional, breathtaking, and intense throughout. Once I started playing I couldn't stop. The graphics and gameplay is great. The game is about 12 hours long and the replay value in my opinion is pretty low. However, I'm still giving it a 10 just because the story was so awesome.
  34. Feb 22, 2014
    I am confident to say that The Last of Us is the best game that I have played in this generation. Even though my favorite genre is JRPG, I recognize all the developers’ efforts in this memorable masterpiece.

First of all, this game is not a shooter. Every year people complain about the same franchises arguing that they do not innovate. Ironically, games like Call of Duty still continue to break sales record over and over. To be honest, I expected that The Last of Us was going to be somewhat Uncharted-like (since it’s from the same studio), but for my surprise it is not. It is all about surviving. You have to make every bullet count instead of shooting frenetically. In my opinion, a game has a good chance of succeeding by not being more from the same saturated shooter industry. Another thing that makes the game brilliant is the stealth system. It completely suits with the survival aspect.

Secondly, I believe that games are not only about gameplay but also story and soundtrack. The cast is memorable and the voice acting is amazing. It is easy to have immersion in the game because you get involved with the events between Joel and Ellie. They are charismatic and somehow invite you to be part of their adventure. One thing that I have to highlight is the fact that this game is not about zombies. In fact, the term used to describe these kind of enemies is “infected”. No banal things like “shoot only in the head to kill them” exist. People are just infected. It is possible to kill some of them unarmed and not by blowing up their heads. Some levels of infection require weapons to kill enemies, but it is a feature that adds challenge to the game. The concept of infected may not be original, but from I gather it is easy to distinguish the infected ones from this game.

For these reasons, The Last of Us is my game of the generation. In a world where console games seems to decline year after year with the advent of mobile and casual games, I cheer that hardcore, innovative and memorable games continue to come. Naughty Dog was able to prove that even in the end of generation there is still hope for old school gamers.
  35. Feb 20, 2014
    Personally I think journey is the best game ever but TLoU comes second and still gets a 10. There were some flaws in the game - invisible sniper anyone???? and there were so many instances where i lost immersion, like ellie and the clickers and how in the ending the game got super hard... ND you should know better!!!!

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of

But my goodness if you werent moved by this game you have a heart of stone. I cried more in the game than in the last harry potter book! People who say games are only for kids or to waste time are stoopid! and should play this game cause they'll realize their backwards views are wrong.

Now i want ND to make a new ip every four years i'm sick of stupid sequels. People read masterpiece books so shouldn't people play masterpiece games over and over???? Think about it.

But anyway obvious goty and snobs who say "OMG isn't on PC" dont deserve to play this masterpiece.
  36. Feb 20, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is the pinnacle of this generation. Everything video games has to offer was brought to the maximum level. Storytelling, graphics, gameplay...

Few games made me cry, made me think about the message it passes, and made me be sure video games are also art.

The focus of the game isn't zombies, but the human condition. Who is, in fact, "the last of us"? The non-infected humans, or the humans who haven't lost their humanity?

Naughty Dog shows a lesson for the video game industry and even for movies. You'll love seeing Joel and Ellie together as they go through every sort of trouble together. A story like no other, a story few will manage to make it better and many will fear to copy.

At the end of the game, you don't get a feeling of "it's already over?" or "finally!". You get a exact dose of the game. As the credits roll, you get a sensation of "Damn. This was one of the best experiences I've had." Finishing the game is like finishing reading a book or watching a series. You don't know what to do next. Real life seems boring after completing it.

The Last of Us is a masterpiece in digital form. It also shows video games have come a very long way. Video games aren't toys, but a way of art and culture, of debate and thinking, of entertainment and joy, immersion and reality, and The Last of Us is the proof of that.
  37. Feb 20, 2014
    One of the best PS3 games I have ever played. The graphics, voice acting, plot, and the relationship between Joel and Ellie made this a game that has stuck with me well after completion. There were several moments that completely took me by surprise, but I don't want to list them here due to spoilers. The only complaint with the game is that the partner AI was sometimes a little buggy. ButOne of the best PS3 games I have ever played. The graphics, voice acting, plot, and the relationship between Joel and Ellie made this a game that has stuck with me well after completion. There were several moments that completely took me by surprise, but I don't want to list them here due to spoilers. The only complaint with the game is that the partner AI was sometimes a little buggy. But there are so many great things about this game that somewhat glitchy AI is not too significant.

Overall, I highly recommend this game to any PS3 owner. One of the best games of the generation indeed.
  38. Feb 19, 2014
    10/10 This is my favorite game ever, the game play is stellar, with the crafting and challenging stealth give you satisfaction when you finally make it through a part.

The visuals are intense, contrasting from the gloomiest lows to the most beautiful outdoor parts. While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of

While the Playstation's ancient hardware leaves much to be desired, this game makes the best of it. With the help of some tricks Naughty Dog was able to maintain a mainly solid 30FPS at 720p. Unfortunately with that said the noisy PS3 can sometimes be a bother.

The story is where this game just leaves everything else behind, everything, ever, this game is an epic of a scale no other game even gets close to. Character so human with real reactions and no superpowers, it is a nice change to see.
  39. Feb 18, 2014
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    Absolutely not "overrated" (which is a word thrown around all too often lately).
    The part that shines is the narrative, the characters, the dialogue, the environment, etc. The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil.
    The best game on PS3. The best game of 2013.
    The gameplay is like the Uncharted series but with a heavy focus on stealth, with the theme being survival horror. So think Uncharted + Metal Gear + Resident Evil. Everything is done right. Controls are great.
    If you don't care about those qualities or the gameplay genre, play something else. If you do play this, do the world a favor and don't rate it because it'd be like a person with no taste buds rating classy cuisine.
  40. Feb 18, 2014
    As many of you know this a naught dog production, the same developers which produced the stellar uncharted series. It is set in a future post-apolyptic desolate setting of america and is based round a few key and vital characters. The story is about survival and gathering resources for your character to use in crafting aid items, weapon upgrades etc. The game is linear in nature howeverAs many of you know this a naught dog production, the same developers which produced the stellar uncharted series. It is set in a future post-apolyptic desolate setting of america and is based round a few key and vital characters. The story is about survival and gathering resources for your character to use in crafting aid items, weapon upgrades etc. The game is linear in nature however not that it detracts from its special cinematic sequences or it's beautiful yet eerie setting, plus there is subtle player choice to be had in naughty dog's latest outing say upgrading your weapons, crafting molotovs and first aid items like in rage the video game, very similar. The main aspects of the last of us is its realistic and wonderful graphics, stellar voice acting/animation and the feeling that grips you tight of how close you get to the two main characters in the game. There is certainly a emotional link to them throughout your adventure, and in time it will only grow. the combat system in the game is for the most part very smooth and fluid-like, you can sprint, jog, vault, take cover, sneak etc which all helps to take out your enemies in a stealthy manner or in a brutal, satisfying way. The game does from a story point of view pulls you right in and doesn't let go. It is a mix of survival horror/action adventure with both elements ever so subtle and seamless in their exchange. The aiming in the game is quite bothersome and has a lot of natural sway on the reticle, which can be reduced slightly by finding supplements and herbs to upgrade it with. The level design in the game is top notch, It is very diverse and with that allows you utter freedom to play the game how you want. The story line is very simple but expertly well done. And the ending in my opinion is truly satisfying and well scripted. The attention to detail with the graphics is outstanding, everything is so ironically full of life and colour, the water effects excel with everything i have ever seen. I do however have some minor gripes, but due to being so minor that they do not affect my final score, but there are infrequent graphical bugs, with items disappearing and entire parts of the game as well, but there are seldom seen and only last barely a second. And you can only alter the sensitivity of both analog sticks rather than individually change them. Also the cover mechanic is automated and sometimes you simply cannot stick to a certain wall and on occasion has given my position away. And i do also wish the survival skill system was more abundant in which you had more choice on given gameplay aspects like vaulting and running speed, melee moves, etc. The enemies are fantastic within the game and choose random paths, are quite perceptive and just generally fun to take out. The game has a multiplayer mode which has several modes and about 11 maps, the survival skills, crafting system, weapons, and gameplay mechanics are borrowed from the campaign, which is a good thing. It always for a slow paced and tense experience, certain mechanics are tweaked to allow for a more smoother and balanced play. And is generally a lot of fun, and the one of few multiplayers in which i have enjoyed and dedicated a lot of my time to. But with all the praise, the main reason i love this game is the colourful cast of characters and the emotionally driven storyline. Its a pure gem of a game and one that ill be playing for some years, a masterpiece. Expand
  41. Feb 18, 2014
    To put it simply, if they did a re-release of this game on the PS4, i'd buy it again full price and buy a PS4 in the process even though i played through this game 6 times and done achievement runs.

This game is not without its flaws, the auto-save system isn't the best, there really isn't anyone playing the multilayer, and as a mainly PC gamer i found the lack of AA annoying (but i guess that's most console games).. but even with the flaws the experience I've had with this game is possibly one of the best.

if you have not played this, it is definitely worth checking out as i think its one of the (if not the) best games on last gen consoles.
  42. Feb 17, 2014
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    The Last of Us Review:
    Pros/ Good Points:
    + It has one of the best stories ever told in videogame history, using not only cutscenes to tell the story, but gameplay as well, with in-game main and side conversations that truly make this game outstand. Incredible character development, with every single character adding something to the story. The best looking game of the generation with unbelievable lighting, colour palette and textures. Strong gameplay with a great and simple crafting system. Top notch audio design. Incredible music by Gustavo Santaolalla which developers used in the most appropriate moment, throughout the whole game. The multiplayer not only fits perfectly with the tone of the singleplayer experience, but also it is a hell of a fun to play and the only way you'll get higher levels will be by your skill in the game, and not the equipment you carry. Framerate rarely drops. I only experienced 3 or 4 technical glitches/bugs during my 3+ playthroughs. Though many complain, not letting the enemy AI find or notice Ellie is the best decission in terms of gameplay, though it can be a little game breaker. Ally AI is helpful, unlike most games.
    Cons/ Bad Points:
    - Enemy AI can be either too dumb or way to intelligent. Trophy list makes you replay the game at the very least 3 times if you want to get the platinum.
    Final thoughts and score:
    The Last of Us is the highest user rated game of the generation, and not for nothing. It achieves one of the best linear experiences with a really deep, touching and emotionall story that will stick within your mind weeks after beating it.
    Average Score: 10/10
  43. Feb 17, 2014
    Just Amazing, Another Masterpiece by Naughty Dog
    Just Amazing, Another Masterpiece by Naughty Dog
    The Gameplay gives a nice challenge to the player. What you do is while progressing, find some scattered bullets, guns and objects since it is about survival. The combat can give an awesome atmosphere, and a fight with the small supply that you're given in the game, becoming longer with how much you collect within the game, you can give very brutal attacks to the enemy using melee with bats, axes and wooden planks, giving a satisfying combat, Stealth elements are a good part of the game as everything else, especially with the hearing ability. Exploration is not so much of a Problem, but it becomes better as a puzzle. The only problem is the AI, Enemy AI often seems to ignore a companion and they sometimes glitch a few times.
    The Story is the best of many video games, giving emotional and tear jerking moments, and the characters, especially Joel and Ellie, are extremely likeable.
    The Multiplayer has great gameplay elements in the game to it's deathmatches, but it's filled with annoying Micro-Transactions, typical Naughty Dog, always giving micro-transactions to a multiplayer.
    Overall, even though it has a few problems, This game is a Masterpiece and the best game i have played in the generation.
  44. Feb 17, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i love this game i dont think it is really about the game play which is amazing anyway i think it is about joel losing his daughter and over twenty years becoming cold and not caring about anyone . then ellie comes into his life at first he doesnt like her but as the game goes on you see there relationship develop and joel starts to really care about her as if she was his own daughter for all the gore and violence in this game i think it is probably one of the most touching games ive ever played really really brilliant stuff naughty dog Expand
  45. Feb 17, 2014
    even though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scaryeven though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scary at times, the game can be brutally difficult if you don't play wisely, the graphics are better than most ps4 games out right now and even the multiplayer is really fun Expand
  46. Feb 17, 2014
    The only thing i could say this is the best game i ever played! Masterpiece story, soundtracks, gameplay and graphic.10/10
    Thank you to everyone at NaughtyDog for making a truly life changes experience.
  47. Feb 16, 2014
    I have never had been impacted by the story as much ever since The Walking Dead season 1 game concluded in 2012. The Last of Us brings storytelling to a whole new level and surely changed the video game industry on its head during the end of the playstation 3. The Road is surely a big influence on the story told in the story of the last of us and the combat system is pure brilliance andI have never had been impacted by the story as much ever since The Walking Dead season 1 game concluded in 2012. The Last of Us brings storytelling to a whole new level and surely changed the video game industry on its head during the end of the playstation 3. The Road is surely a big influence on the story told in the story of the last of us and the combat system is pure brilliance and downright gritty and brutal. Survival games have never been this good before. I cannot wait to see a sequel to this franchise or another Uncharted game but one thing is for certain, Naughty Dog did it again and most likely will triumph and surpass our expectations. Expand
  48. Feb 15, 2014
    This is the best game I have played in the last gen of games, it was creepy and scary at times and it looked fantastic, naughty dog really out did themselves in this game, hope there next game/franchise if even better. If that is at all possible.
  49. Feb 15, 2014
    Best Game of 2013. Gameplay, story, graphics, characters design... every single thing.
    The only thing i didnt like of it was its soundtrack, pretty lame work by Santaolalla, as always.
  50. Feb 14, 2014
    The game is the best I've played so far, but if I had to criticize anything it would be the length. It's quite short. I finished it in 20 hours. Make the count... Nevertheless one feels the emotion of this story in every step.
  51. Feb 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in rightThe Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in right from the first shot. Game-play-wise it is a strategic stealth/action game that has some of the most brutal action I've seen in any form of entertainment. If you own a PS3 you need to play The Last of Us. You owe it to yourself to play the PS3's crowning jewel! Expand
  52. Feb 13, 2014
    The Last Of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. The combat is brutal in fact VERY BRUTAL. 15mins into the game had me crying and that's a hard thing to do. The story is very good. It has 1 boss battle but its a creative one and a little tip in that boss fight throw a bottle or whatever at the third knife try then run up and knife that him like an animal. The few glitches I foundThe Last Of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. The combat is brutal in fact VERY BRUTAL. 15mins into the game had me crying and that's a hard thing to do. The story is very good. It has 1 boss battle but its a creative one and a little tip in that boss fight throw a bottle or whatever at the third knife try then run up and knife that him like an animal. The few glitches I found are small and don't effect the gameplay much or at all. Crafting is easy very easy and needed unless you want to die.... a lot..... The soundtrack is legendary and I'm listening to it now as I type this. They eve added small and unnecessary details that are great like you making a laptop fall or blowing off limbs. Aiming is hard but it adds to the tension and there is a lock on assist in the options. The difficulty is very hard even on easy. Each character is remember able. This game is action and adventure combined with survival horror its a genre really. Game of the year here game of the year. Expand
  53. Feb 11, 2014
    I can't really get enough of this game. I just can't see why people hate this game so much, this is probably the best game I have played in my life so far, it has changed my life and the way I see the world. Most people that play GTAV (for those that prefer GTAV) haven't really grasped the concept of TLOU's story, they haven't grasped the feelings, the hate, the love, and the loyalty thatI can't really get enough of this game. I just can't see why people hate this game so much, this is probably the best game I have played in my life so far, it has changed my life and the way I see the world. Most people that play GTAV (for those that prefer GTAV) haven't really grasped the concept of TLOU's story, they haven't grasped the feelings, the hate, the love, and the loyalty that stands between Ellie and Joel. This is a remarkable game, and if you don't have a PS3, I highly recommend that you get this game. This isn't a game where you can roam around and do whatever you want, this is story, and the story is heartbreaking and it keeps you on your couch. Ellie and Joel are really great dynamic protagonists that go through a lot of pain and fear to travel across America. When you play the game, you will see that the relationship between Ellie and Joel we'll start building up to a point where they can trust each other and care for each other. It warms my heart and it's understandable that you have to cooperate with others to survive in a post-apocalyptic world.

The Last of Us has left a scar on me, that scar will never be forgotten, because it will remind me of that one game in 2013 that changed my life. I really do recommend this game for players that have never even heard of it or have never played it. It's truly a masterpiece, it may not be GOTY for some people, but it's a masterpiece.

Ellie is by far my favorite character that has impacted my experiences in gaming so far, probably the best female character I know so far. She's just a little 14 year old girl that's born in a QZ for 14 years, eventually she is taken out across the country by a man who has been through a lot of rough times, Joel. Ellie isn't familiar with the outside world and it's lovely to see her talk about things she doesn't know about. You get to learn about her more when you progress through the single-player.

Get the game, it's a masterpiece, even I will never forget it. Never... 10/10
  54. Feb 8, 2014
    All that can be said of how good the game is too obvious to be told, I just want to give a bow to naughty dog for being such a great company capable of such evolving from crash bandicoot to the last of us.
  55. Feb 8, 2014
    One of the best storylines of any game I've played (ever), phenomenal graphics, above-average gameplay (good hints, no frustrating levels) and long playtime
  56. Feb 6, 2014
    PlayStation 3 isn’t only well-known for its number of exclusive games, but for the sheer number of quality exclusives. That’s what makes The Last of Us even more impressive, because not only does it join the ranks of Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, Infamous and more, but it bests them all. In short, Naughty Dog has crafted a game that impresses in virtually every way. The Last of Us is aPlayStation 3 isn’t only well-known for its number of exclusive games, but for the sheer number of quality exclusives. That’s what makes The Last of Us even more impressive, because not only does it join the ranks of Uncharted, Killzone, God of War, Infamous and more, but it bests them all. In short, Naughty Dog has crafted a game that impresses in virtually every way. The Last of Us is a true feat.

Its unrivaled presentation in particular sets the bar even higher than the Uncharted trilogy already did, and its writing, voice acting and layered gameplay combine to create what is very easily the game to beat for Game of the Year 2013.
  57. Feb 5, 2014
    The Last of Us is the gateway to a whole new era of storytelling and interactive experience. Naughtydog has managed to justify almost all of this game's gritty and intense mechanics through story-telling and the emotional impact of taking a life in order to survive. It doesn't hurt that the actors were all perfectly cast and portrayed. Honestly, much better than most of the movieThe Last of Us is the gateway to a whole new era of storytelling and interactive experience. Naughtydog has managed to justify almost all of this game's gritty and intense mechanics through story-telling and the emotional impact of taking a life in order to survive. It doesn't hurt that the actors were all perfectly cast and portrayed. Honestly, much better than most of the movie performances I have seen all year. The Last of Us excels beyond a game and into an experience. I really hope non-gamers can learn to appreciate the impact a perfectly executed game can have and how important it is as a new medium. The Naughtydog studio is visionary and will forever leave me craving more of their style: flawless and impact-full storytelling, some of the best actors and talent in the business, stunning and engrossing graphics, and emotions and thoughts that will last long after you play the game.

Oh yeah, and the multiplayer experience: Ridiculously amazing. Nothing is better than out-trapping and out-smarting your opponents. It is such a perfectly balanced experience (with the exception of the OP flamethrower) that you can easily pick it up and find immediate enjoyment. Playing in groups of four is an absolute blast and coordinating tactics with your friends to annihilate the opposing faction is beyond rewarding. It's good enough that Naughtydog gave us one of the most emotionally rewarding and mind-blowing single player campaigns available, but the fact that I can keep coming back to the multiplayer experience to nail-board bash my way to success is much appreciated.

An amazing game. The best game. They better be working on The Laster Of Us because I have never been so satisfied and yet craving of more. If anyone can successfully pull-off a sequel and continue improving a series it's Naughtydog. Considering they made as near of a perfect game as they could... it's interesting to see where they will go to continue to push the gaming industry.

If you have a PS3 and haven't bought this game: you have a serious problem.
    If you have an XBOX 360, you need to sell your system, buy a PS3, and buy this game.
  58. Feb 5, 2014
    This game truly deserves the game of the year citation. It has a mix of action, suspense and drama that only a few game developers can provide. Naughty Dog has achieved video game greatness unlike any other so far.

I haven't finished the game to be honest, but I love what I am encountering so far. And I just started the Fall chapter, which from feed back seems like things are about to stir up even more.
  59. Feb 4, 2014
    {Minor Spoilers} As simply as I can put it, The Last of Us is an accomplishment. This is the game to beat in the coming years and the first game I've played that masterfully melds gameplay with narrative in a way that seems effortless done by the masterful team at Naughtydog. This is a game about the best and worst of people that is heightened by the intensity and great use of tension in a{Minor Spoilers} As simply as I can put it, The Last of Us is an accomplishment. This is the game to beat in the coming years and the first game I've played that masterfully melds gameplay with narrative in a way that seems effortless done by the masterful team at Naughtydog. This is a game about the best and worst of people that is heightened by the intensity and great use of tension in a post apocalyptic setting. You play as the character of Joel; a person that has been affected very personally by the fungal outbreak and has few morale lines left to cross after surviving for twenty years after everything changed. He lives in a quarantine zone within what's left of Boston and is controlled by the military under martial law. He survives through smuggling things in and out of the city and is eventually tasked by a rebel group he has ties with to smuggle a teenage girl named Ellie to a checkpoint which eventually turns into a journey across the country. The character of Joel is more complex than many protagonists and isn't necessarily meant to be the "good guy". He's a person with a past and his own set of morals which makes him very believable. While Joel had a life before the outbreak, Ellie was born into this world and didn't know life outside of the quarantine zone before Joel reluctantly took the job that defines the game. You see the contrast between Joel and Ellie very early on. Ellie doesn't have anything to miss before the outbreak and often asks Joel about things in the environment that served a purpose before the infection spread. Joel will often describe things very vaguely early on almost like he doesn't want to get to close and form a relationship he fears he'll lose. The whole game has moments like these that can be dissected and more eloquently described but I just wanted to put my voice out there for how much I love this game and figured people who haven't played yet might be reminded by all the hype surrounding the next DLC so hopefully this helped someone. Expand
  60. Feb 3, 2014
    I'm going to keep this review short and sweet because you really need to play the game to understand its brilliance. I finished the game 3 months ago and I still mention it in every games conversation. This simply is a must have game. Naughty Dog have pushed the ps3 to its limits to create a beautiful looking game with a fantastic engaging story and unforgettable characters. You reallyI'm going to keep this review short and sweet because you really need to play the game to understand its brilliance. I finished the game 3 months ago and I still mention it in every games conversation. This simply is a must have game. Naughty Dog have pushed the ps3 to its limits to create a beautiful looking game with a fantastic engaging story and unforgettable characters. You really come to care for Ellie (the young girl you are protecting) during the game and this is something so many games cannot do.

The controls work very well and really give you the feeling you are fighting for your life. The level designs are genius and look stunning. The story is exciting and moving, Once scene had me having to pause the game and just take ten minutes to think to my self as it was so upsetting. The zombies and monsters are terrifying, the clickers really are the things of nightmares. You really do feel like you are in an the middle of a zombie apocalypse, no game has ever felt this real. Once you pick up the pad you will not put it down until you have completed it.

Oh and the ending! Wow, this game does not give you choices or alternative endings. You play as Joel and you are forced to see life through his eyes, you make his decisions not your own and these some times take you to dark, gritty places. You come out of the game feeling a true emotional response. Even a joy that the world you live in is not like in the game. I found myself happy to kiss my kids goodnight in the safety of my warm home. People who jokingly say they want a zombie apocalypse may think twice after experiencing The Last Of Us.

The greatest game on the PS3? Buy it and decide for your self, you will not be disappointed.
  61. Jan 30, 2014
    Naughty Dog proved itself again as the best game studio. Its production, the Last of Us inherits the studio's specialties: solid gameplay, satisfying platformer, interesting dialogues and most importantly, amazing characters. The protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are easily among the best written characters in all video games and you will, after playing this game, feel attached with them andNaughty Dog proved itself again as the best game studio. Its production, the Last of Us inherits the studio's specialties: solid gameplay, satisfying platformer, interesting dialogues and most importantly, amazing characters. The protagonists, Joel and Ellie, are easily among the best written characters in all video games and you will, after playing this game, feel attached with them and genuinely care about them. I don't know if it is possible to not like Joel and Ellie but I am in love with them.
    Set in the post-apocalyptic US, Joel and Ellie must journey across the country in search of a group. In this world an unknown pandemic has ravaged mankind, transforming infected into half-human-half-fungus undead. What sets the Last of Us different from all other zombie games is that the infected here are also blind and therefore by moving quietly it is possible to avoid conflict at all. Ammo and healing supplies are limited (there is no stomping corpses to reveal supplies here), so stealth is always the better option. When combat is the only way to go, the Last of Us becomes a solid third person shooter almost identical to the Uncharted series.
    The world in the Last of Us is vibrant and believable. As is all post-apocalyptic worlds, the world goes into chaos and survival is dependent on oneself: only the fittest survives. There is no hero or antagonist in the Last of Us; only survivors. In fact, Joel is so ruthless against other survivors standing in his way that you might feel that he is, in a sense, the villain.
    However no game is perfect--not even the Last of Us. Supplies for tools feel a little bit too plentiful. For example nail bombs should have been valuable weapons that are only used in the most desperate times, but they are in fact so common in the world that I found my backpack too full to carry yet even more of them. In the same sense weapons are also too powerful for a game like this: your arsenal isn't limited at all; you will get a freaking flame thrower half way into the story. Also the ending is somewhat disappointing; I won't spoil anything for you, but I was disappointed.
    BUT--- with this ending it is possible for them to make a sequel. :DD As the Last of Us is so successful this is very likely to be the case--I cannot wait to see more of Joel and Ellie's journey.
  62. Jan 30, 2014
    Just a great game. I loved the story, the characters and the gameplay. I even like the multiplayer. It's my personal pick for GOTY and my favorite game. If you have a PS3, I seriously recommend the game.
  63. Jan 30, 2014
    I had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is theI had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is the game with the best story i've ever played!! I think every ps3 owner should buy this game before upgarding to ps4! Thank you Naughty Dog! Expand
  64. Jan 27, 2014
    It held a place in my heart. Naughty dog brought us what everyone wanted. Definitely revolutionized the voice acting aspect in games. Hands down, best game on the ps3, a must buy. Not to mention addictive multiplayer as well.
  65. Jan 26, 2014
    It is epic story and all, I was really excited playing it for the 1st time. But now even after several months I finished it I realize that I don't want to play it again, as its just pretty straight forward one-shoot game. The world is big but it split on small levels and it is just a decoration.
    I would say the ending also a bit disappointing.
  66. Jan 25, 2014
    Mine think its the best game ever my life what i have ever played, i have played in pc many years, now i got ps3 and when i get hands on The Last Of Us its just looks phenomenal, it's masterpiece. I finished game two days ago and in end i realized, how can be game that awesome all if this game is so perfect and beautiful. Mine think its yes the best game ever, seriously.

NaughtyDog has

NaughtyDog has made excellent work agin. I thinking do purchase Post-Pandemic Edition or Survival Edition, probably Survival one. If this game self even cost 300€ i will definitely buy that without think about that. Thants are mine rating of that game.

Also i have allready pre-orded Left Behind SP DLC, cannot wait when 14 come :P
    So now if i see rating overall that game ign/gamespot/eurogamer all give max points.

The Last Of Us - Masterpiece Art of game.
  67. Jan 24, 2014
    journeyfreak787
    Jun 14, 2013
    This game truly is phenomenal. Naughty Dog proves yet again why they are the kings of the PS3, and arguably gaming in general. The Last of Us gets everything right. The environments, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline, the characters, the graphics. Everything. I really can't say enough how amazing this game truly ended up being.
  68. Jan 24, 2014
    A beautiful looking game on every console. This was a very fun game that i enjoyed very much, It was pretty hard and challenging at some spots in the game, but keeps you gripping your seat because you can get super scared. the zombies in the game seemed mostly realistic the names were funny two for the zombies (The Clickers) lol for example. overall a great game and definitely worth getting.
  69. Jan 23, 2014
    Well although there were lots of 10/10s,but the combat system compared to the one they showed before they released the game(I know the release will be different from before...)was so much more realistic,even though i never do get bored of the combat,but it's variety is not really that good and multiplayer is screwed by CoD and BF4,it took me 10 minutes just to find a group of people,andWell although there were lots of 10/10s,but the combat system compared to the one they showed before they released the game(I know the release will be different from before...)was so much more realistic,even though i never do get bored of the combat,but it's variety is not really that good and multiplayer is screwed by CoD and BF4,it took me 10 minutes just to find a group of people,and people wanted zombie mode but naughty dog said that it can't work because that the zombies would mess up some stuff.The new customization items,this is how i see it:you pay for a dlc so that you can pay more money for a dlc within a dlc,wow(eventhough I had the online pass code.) Expand
  70. Jan 22, 2014
    The Last Of Us:
    +Best Storyline+
    +Best Characters+
    +Amazing Graphics+
    +Great Voice Acting+
    +Nice Sound Effects+

The Last Of Us is absolutely one of the best games ever.
  71. Jan 20, 2014
    GOOD THINGS:
    PLOT: I thought it very cliché, similar to I am the Legend and War of the Worlds, but the characters are very charismatics, and the narrative goes very well.
    GAMEPLAY: Very fun, either Stealth or TPS, both are perfect, making improvised weapons are cool, finding medicine and pieces to Level Up are very good made.
    Soundtrack: very sad, and absent in the most time.
  72. Jan 20, 2014
    I've been a gamer for over two decades now (ever since the original Nintendo), and I can firmly and confidently say that this is THE best game I've ever played.

This game without a doubt deserves 5/5. I feel that anyone that gives it less didn't get what it was trying to do. This isn't a standard video game. It's primary purpose is to tell you a story. An interactive story, where you actually feel like you're there with the characters, experiencing everything with them as they experience it. It's something books and movies can't quite pull off, and is video game specific. Even among games, it's extremely rare that a truly successful and well-done interactive narrative can be pulled off so successfully. Everything really matters.

The only downside I can think of is that there is a ton of swearing, and a pretty decent amount of violence, so this game isn't for the little ones below 10 years. Also, the AI does odd stuff occasionally. But virtually everything else is virtually flawless, breath-taking, heart-breaking, and intense. The writing, art & environments, acting, and music are all above top-notch. It will keep you on the edge of your seat, whether it be due to wondering what's lurking around the corner, or to hear what interesting tid-bit your in-game companions will say next.

This game is for anyone and everyone that appreciates a good story. If you've ever enjoyed a fictional book, movie, or video game, in your entire life, you owe yourself this experience. Do what you have to do, to become the last of us. You won't regret it.

P.S. You should really read the very short prequel comics first (before playing the game), written by the head writer of the game. They're official storyline, and really do add a lot of little neat things and details to the game that you wouldn't appreciate or would miss otherwise.
  73. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the greatest games I've ever played on my life, the story is great, the voice acting is some of the best, if not the best ever, the gameplay is dynamic, and different than most games, and the zombies are different than any other type of other zombies, the ending isn't a clichéd ending that a Hollywood blockbusters have, and the multiplayer is actually a lot of fun.
    This is a perfect game.
  74. Jan 19, 2014
    Never have I completed an interactive experience such as this one. An incredibly beautifully created game with intense, solid, brutal gameplay, and a narrative that grips and keeps moving you along in a way that I've never had before. Fantastic acting and dynamic interactions. The character movement may feel a bit clunky compared to other current titles, but it's a small thing toNever have I completed an interactive experience such as this one. An incredibly beautifully created game with intense, solid, brutal gameplay, and a narrative that grips and keeps moving you along in a way that I've never had before. Fantastic acting and dynamic interactions. The character movement may feel a bit clunky compared to other current titles, but it's a small thing to overlook when considering the overall masterpiece that this gem really is. A greatly satisfying and thought-provoking journey. Expand
  75. Jan 19, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever experienced. Beautiful graphics, a clear and an amazing story that won't get played confused about the plot. The voice acting is incredible. The story is so heartbreaking in some of the scenes. As in Tess. And the way Ellie bonds with Joel. I can't imagine anyone giving this a negative rating. ood job, Naughty-Dog.
  76. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. A game that has outstanding depth and character development, along with a fantastic story, questionable decisions, and towards the end, an almost seemingly unethical turn around for the entire game. Just to point out, I have used the spoilers disclaimer, and I rarely use it; this review does contain some pretty big spoilers, so just in case you disputed the disclaimer, please bear that in mind.

So, to start with, the game opens with an incredibly emotional scenario; starting off as Joel's daughter, you end up caught in an escalating event, an incredibly dramatic set up for the entire story. Passing through the town, and into the city, the game throws some incredibly elaborate (and some rather subtle) set pieces that truly drag you deep into the catastrophe. This immersion is something which should be plentiful nowadays, unfortunately isn't. It really shows how far Naughty Dog have come since their debut with Crash Bandicoot. The intro makes you think, and feel, as though you are truly there.

The game itself is set twenty years later, beginning in a tight quarantine zone. Throughout the game, you will experience a plethora of various environments; cityscapes, suburbs, sewers, city outskirts and forests, and small towns. Whilst the most commonplace is downtown cities, the game definitely mixes it up with varied and beautifully detailed areas, which definitely keep the game fresh.

Throughout the game, Joel and Ellie (a young girl who seems to hold the key to immunity to the disease) develop in ways I personally rarely see in games, with exception to Spec Ops; The Line. Several decisions they make could be questioned on their necessity, and towards the end, Joel becomes something almost barbaric. This character development should be noted, as it begins to blur the line as to who the bad guys REALLY are. At the end of the game, Joel makes probably the most controversial decision in the entire game; killing those that could be considered the saviours of mankind, all to protect Ellie. Whether this move could be considered good or evil is far from difficult, and leaves the player thinking hard, long after the game is over.

In terms of gameplay, the survival aspects are fantastic, the combat brutal (bullet shots FEEL like bullet shots, each taking a huge impact on the player), and overall, keeps you on the edge at all times. Expect to die a lot, but also to feel satisfied should you make it through. This game is not for the faint of heart, but giving you the option of either stealth or guns blazing is something which can involve a far greater range of audience. Expect, however, to have to perform both, as supplies are scarce, and complete stealth throughout the entire game is expected only of true gaming ninjas. Prepare to put up a fight.

Overall, the game is fantastic and diverse, with occasional break points, where you are free to just wander around and take in each environment, gathering supplies for further confrontation. Combat is, of course, plentiful, and this game suits those looking for both a good story, and a game that provides decent stealth and survival aspects on the side. Should those meet your needs, buy this game. It's far beyond worth it. I haven't yet touched multiplayer, but in the singleplayer alone, this game is well deserving of a 10/10.

Naughty Dog have done it again.
  77. Jan 18, 2014
    By far the game of the year, and maybe the best game of all time. The best graphics I've ever seen, great gameplay, a terrific story and characters, and a surprisingly good multiplayer makes this game a incredible farewell to the PS3. Anybody who writes a negative review is probably a Xbox fanboy.
  78. Jan 16, 2014
    This game is great. It's enjoyable, has a fantastic storyline, and is packed full of emotion and grit.
    The ingame relationship between Joel and Ellie is well made, and shows how they fight for survival against the frightning zombies.While the game does offer some new groundbreaking features, it can get a little bit repetitive.
    The enemies are really well made. Everything from the

The enemies are really well made. Everything from the bandits to the zombies look and feel real. During the Clicker scenes, you can't help feeling scared while you're crawling along the floor with clicking in your ear. The game is very emotional, and all the cutscenes are amazing.

But this game does have some cons. As mentioned by some people, enemies do not react to your team mates (Ellie for example). Especially with Bill, he runs like a bloody elephant, and nothing detects him. But if you screw up one tiny bit, the Clickers'll get you. Also, the shooting mechanics are a bit frustrating. To veteran PS3 players, it's a walk in the park, but me (who is new to consoles), it is difficult aiming a pistol.

(Kudos to the people who designed, animated and created the Clickers. Those are some funky as enemies, and one of the greatest zombie types of all time.)

Regarding crafting, what can I say? You scavenge parts and use them to craft items, upgrade your weapons and make Joel be able to shoot faster etc. There is a lot of loot lying around, and you can't be too picky in this time of apocalypse...

All I can say is, get this game. It is an emotional rollercoaster!
  79. Jan 16, 2014
    The last of us is a game which has been surrounded by a lot of hype and during the first few hours of gameplay you would be forgiven for being a little disappointed. The level design is linear and claustrophobic, the controls are cumbersome and the puzzles are simplistic to say the least.
    The limited ammunition theme (though it feels artificial most of the time - e.g. happening to always keep you around 7 or 8 pistol rounds whether you use them or not) as well as the crafting mechanic serve to up the tension though. Unfortunately, this tension is relieved somewhat when one of your companions bumps into an enemy and they don't react. It seems that only the player is visible when sneaking in the last of us and that's a cop out that really hurts this game.

You'll spend as much time hiding as shooting as you evade the decent enemy AI which will seek to flank you when given the opportunity. That being said, the tiny environments limit the AI's tactics as much as they limit the player. Though they get slightly bigger as the game progresses, they never feel open and the game can feel like it's on rails. Even on hard difficulty the game gives you hints of what to do next every 30 seconds and the "listen" mechanic means that enemies will be unable to sneak up on you or hide. There are no choices to be made except whether to shoot or sneak behind obstacles which are haphazardly placed like those at a paintball event. It's pretty obvious when an enemy encounter is imminent as coherent level design gives way to random crates for you to hide behind.

There are other annoyances too - sometimes your torch won't be pointing the same was as the light coming from it would suggest and "infected" will drop ammunition even though they have been zombies for "years" as one of the main characters comments.

Stick with this game, however, and you will be rewarded - the story is what really makes this game great . I won't spoil the surprise by telling you too much but the relationship between the two main characters and how that relationship develops is captivating. The environments are pretty enough by PS3 standards but you won't be waxing lyrical about them if you are used to PC visuals. As mentioned earlier, the crafting mechanic adds a lot to the game and the limited availability of ammunition and weapons makes finding either feel like Christmas each and every time. It's just a shame that enemies don't drop ammo relevant to the weapon they are using. It's little things like that which break the immersion in the game.

Overall the last of us is a good effort. It takes some decent if "safe" gameplay, tarts it up with a few interesting little elements and then smothers it in a great story. People say this is more of an interactive film than a game and I can see their point. You come back to it in the same way you come back to an episode of your favourite TV series - curious to find out what happens next. Ultimately though, however good the story is, it can't disguise the linear, by the numbers gameplay and that simply isn't good enough in this day and age of open worlds and decisions which have consequences.

It's a solid 8 and everyone should play it but ratings of 10 out of 10 are just silly.
  80. Jan 16, 2014
    Not for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despairNot for the faint of heart. This is the kind of game that is so dark, gritty and uncompromisingly brutal, that you are probably gonna want to take a shower. I don't know how I didn't play this sooner. The Last of Us features, in my opinion, the most engrossing story in the history of video games. Everything about the game is heart-wrenching. You feel the pain, sadness, and utter despair through every moment.

The combat is fantastic and is an example for all 3rd person shooters. Fantastic mechanics, good cover system, and endless possibilities in terms of taking on enemies. The gameplay feels so natural, it is often panic-inducing.

As if the story isn't worth the price tag, the multiplayer is endlessly entertaining. Unlike run-of-the-mill multiplayer experiences (COD for example), this requires teamwork and smart use of resources. It can be a little overwhelming at first. It has a pretty steep learning curve, but after getting acquainted with the single player, it becomes second nature. I tend to burnout on games after 10 hours or so, but The Last of Us is an exception.

Graphics are A+. Can't say anything more.

If you enjoy intense gaming experiences and want something that will stick with you, play this NOW.
  81. Jan 15, 2014
    This is the best game ever made since Final Fantasy VII IMO. This should be GOTY and this is top 5 game of all time in my top 10 list !!!. GTA V is overrated and this game is way better.
  82. Jan 15, 2014
    It's true, in my opinion, that it doesn't live up to the hype. But that doesn't stop it from being a complete pleasure to play. I would have awarded it more points, but the story (whilst being very strong) didn't resonate with me on the emotional level I really wanted. Yet stunning visuals and fun gameplay easily make it one of the best games of 2013
  83. Jan 14, 2014
    Naughty Dog makes good games. Really good games. The Last of Us premise sounded fairly basic, and not something I usually go for: post-apocalyptic zombies vs regular people. Of course, they had a new twist--the zombies were victims of a fungal brain infection. Still not enough I would likely have tried it ... Except these are the people who made the Uncharted games.

Graphics: Gorgeous.

Graphics:
    Gorgeous. A dirty, post-apocalyptic world never looked so good. Seriously, the shadows and reflections are stunning.

Story:
    Let's just say I was still thinking about the ending days later. The characters are fully realized, with unique and compelling personalities, true to themselves. Both protagonists have moments when you might not even like them, but you always kind of love them. You feel them. Especially, Ellie, who is surprisingly sassy.

Gameplay:
    Heavy focus on stealth, with plenty of combat and a few environmental puzzles, though nothing as deep as Uncharted. Everything performs so smoothly the control scheme disappears. You can almost forget you're playing a game.

Because resources like ammo are scarce, you're always trying to deal with or avoid enemies in quiet ways without alerting them. Like silent takedowns, which are a real pleasure, and take just long enough to make you nervous someone's buddy will spot you doing it.

There are also some upgrades available, both to your character, and even more fun, to your individual weapons. You can increase the clip capacity, reload speed, and so forth. A system that carries over into Newgame +, which I actually tried out a bit just to continue enjoying the enhancement system.

Overall 10/10
  84. Jan 13, 2014
    Everything has been already written and said. It is that good, really! Anyone considering buying the cheapest secondhand peace of PS3 hardware just to give it a try should do it! Afterwards you can peacefully put it away knowing that money were most well spent!! It is that one of kind GAME that makes you totally forget about the thing that you "just playing video games", giving you theEverything has been already written and said. It is that good, really! Anyone considering buying the cheapest secondhand peace of PS3 hardware just to give it a try should do it! Afterwards you can peacefully put it away knowing that money were most well spent!! It is that one of kind GAME that makes you totally forget about the thing that you "just playing video games", giving you the single best ART experience throughout all media (music, books, comics, movies etc..) this year.

There are some AI bugs, but you will forgive, for this one is aiming different direction. That is to give you great story, characters, experience, perspective and fill you with emotions. I dont normally write much about stuff but this time I had to just to shake it off my mind a bit. It sticks so very much.
  85. Jan 12, 2014
    This is a very violent, dark, yet beautiful adventure brought in a very masterful way that few gaming companies (and writers) do. It´s not like Uncharted at all, where the action is in your face every five seconds: this game keeps a slow pace, and it kept my attention all the way through. I don´t think I felt so engaged to a pair of characters so much since Bioshock Infinite. Naughty DogThis is a very violent, dark, yet beautiful adventure brought in a very masterful way that few gaming companies (and writers) do. It´s not like Uncharted at all, where the action is in your face every five seconds: this game keeps a slow pace, and it kept my attention all the way through. I don´t think I felt so engaged to a pair of characters so much since Bioshock Infinite. Naughty Dog made a fantastic work into Joel and Ellie, and I absolutely loved Ellie´s development as, both a survivor and a badass female protagonist, a very brave teenager living in a cruel and rough world with Hunters and Bloaters on the way. Gameplay was ferocious, violent and intense, with lots of unique survivor horror elements, and I liked how Joel´s anger when he fights, combined with the context in the combat sections as well knowing the enemy, really made me hate the Hunters and Fireflies standing in my way, thus proving a very intense (and dramatic) gameplay experience. Now, it´s not without its faults: friendly A.I. was sometimes sloppy, and it had some glitches, like when an enemy was stuck in a chair or table after I strangled him, it would move in a very creepy way. But in the end, this was an emotional experience, with a very shocking ending, and I would definitely replay it again. Game of the Generation? That can be discussed a lot, but I could see this game go to a lot of people´s top Game of the Year list, and hearts. Expand
  86. Jan 11, 2014
    The whole game was amazing(especially the beginning)! Everything in this game was so well-organised and so good.The story was very good.The characters were also very good(Ellie was amazing).The graphics were very good and very real.Excellent atmosphere for this type of game.The environment was also very good and very real.The game has the perfect gameplay to be called a survival game and IThe whole game was amazing(especially the beginning)! Everything in this game was so well-organised and so good.The story was very good.The characters were also very good(Ellie was amazing).The graphics were very good and very real.Excellent atmosphere for this type of game.The environment was also very good and very real.The game has the perfect gameplay to be called a survival game and I like it very much.You explore the world to find ammo and components and you combine the components to create useful tools(melee weapons,explosives,...).The music was also very good.With less words, the campaign is excellent.I haven't played competitive yet because I borrowed the game from a friend of mine but It seems to be very good and very special.Of course I recommend everyone that hasn't played this game to buy it.This game is in my top 4 favourite games of all time!I hope that Naughty Dog will come up with a second The Last Of Us game some time. Expand
  87. Jan 11, 2014
    This was the best experience I had playing a game. PERIOD. The story is an emotional investment that is not to disappoint. Gameplay wise, the stealth mechanics are intuitive and responsive. Not to mention a surprisingly deep multiplayer mode. All in all, best game of my gaming career. A must see for any true gamers out there.
  88. Jan 11, 2014
    Naughty Bear's Left 4 Dead 3 is a stellar game that should get attention from every video game fanatic. You fight your way through necromorphs and the rebel alliance along with your AI partner Ellen Page,
  89. Jan 9, 2014
    An apocalypse like NO OTHER! This game combines Dead space 2, with uncharted and makes a beautiful healthy baby game!
    With a game that will test your stealth skills and shooting skills! Play as joel, an avarage smuggler and Ellie, a teenager that makes you smile every time she talks.
    With awesome shooting mechannics and really good stealth segments, but the cover system COULD get some work... Seriously...
    A.I needs a bit of work, specially ellie's AI. But Naughty dog said that he did that on purpouse so im OK with that (She's invisible to the enemy)
    The story and some parts in it has some cliches and you can see whats going to happen.. but the characters makes up for it.
    Another thing that needs some serious work, is the Melee combat, I expected something a bit like uncharted 3, but this time they decided to go for a more, movie like approach.

Now the multiplayer, The MP is one of the most original aspects I have seen, Outside of battle you have a Minigame, where you build up your clan (Which can be filled with the names of your facebook friends, just for laughs) and complete missions as you struggle to survive 12 weeks. In order to survive you need to earn supplies from matches.

It has 3 game modes:
    *Supply Raid -Basic Team Deathmatch, but you have a limited amount of respawns.
    *Survivor: Adrenaline at its purest! No respawns, 4 rounds.
    *Interrogations: The newest addition to multiplayer, and a very original as well. Down your opponents and interrogate them to earn intel, and locate the Lockbox to win!

All of these modes needs TEAMWORK. Specially Survivor mode. So if you have a couple of friends with you, invite them. Or you may need to rely on strangers on your next match... And that might not be good...

Now i know that the multiplayer might sound perfect but.. It has alot of glitches.

*If you're discconected from PSN, and you choose "Factions" from the main menu to connect, you might get a message saying that your connections isnt strong enough (When it IS.)

*If you attack an enemy at the same time he attacks you with both a nail board you might or not die instantly... Even if you hit him first...

*Nail Bombs may NOT explode if the enemy lands on top of it.

Also, there is no Horde mode or anything (Naughty dog said that they have a hard time making the infected work on multiplayer..)

The game has one of the most beautiful soundtracks in games, with really awesome SFX.
    And the graphics is one of the best of the PS3.

This game gets an 8.5/10.

THE GOOD:
    AWESOME SHOOTING AND STEALTH MECHANICS.
    BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS AND SOUNDTRACK
    ORIGINAL MP.

THE BAD:
    The story is filled with Cliches...
    Cover system needs some work.
    Melee combat also needs some work.
    Multiplayer has some annoying glitches...
  90. Jan 8, 2014
    The Last of Us does an amazing job of immersing you in a great story, with well written characters and cleverly subtle level design. This design makes you feel empathy with the characters and feel the utter lack of hope of the world they live in.
    But this design has been very much focused on how to tell the story, with game play being built around this. Subsequently I felt at times that I was constricted in the choices I could make and directions I could go. Though I don't think there's any way to reconcile this constriction with the way you met being told the story.
    I found the hand to hand combat too basic as well, given that mashing the same button would generally work, I would have liked to have been challenged more by this.
    I enjoyed the stealth sections more than any other sneaking game I've played and liked the way weapons and 'experience' could be customised.
    Well worth playing.
  91. Jan 7, 2014
    My favourite single player game of all time.

The story was incredibly addictive, made me never want to put my controller down, and like a good book, I found myself thinking about the characters when I wasn't playing it.

If you play one game in your lifetime, make it this game.
  92. Jan 6, 2014
    First and foremost, I apologise for this language is not my first language but I had to write my first review of a game for this particular title. I've been playing video games my entire life and this game is the most accomplished single player experience I've ever had. The gameplay is flawless, the art design is phenomenal but I'd to point out a single scene that I thought was truly aFirst and foremost, I apologise for this language is not my first language but I had to write my first review of a game for this particular title. I've been playing video games my entire life and this game is the most accomplished single player experience I've ever had. The gameplay is flawless, the art design is phenomenal but I'd to point out a single scene that I thought was truly a stroke of genius. Most of the players who have finished this game will know what I'm going to write about. It's the first time I have felt such emotion playing a video game. There is a particular scene where Joel and Ellie are just watching a beautiful scenery and I didn't want to go any further. I knew things could go bad for either of them, so I stared, alongside Joel and Ellie and just cried... And the ending is just awesome too. This is the most mature storytelling I've ever seen in video games (with the walking dead season 1). Expand
  93. Jan 6, 2014
    Last of Us is a masterpiece, the relationship between Joel and Ellie is strong and make you really care about them, some moments i became sad and this is awesome, only few games make you feel inside of the story, soundtrack is amazing as the scenario, the cities and towns beautiful, the game in maximum difficulty is really interesting.
  94. Jan 6, 2014
    If you look at it for what it is, the last of us is really just a 3rd person cover based shooter with stealth mechanics, very much like tomb raider or uncharted. But that isn't what makes it special. What makes the Last of Us special is the story, the characters, the world that is created, one you feel a part of and immersed in.

The last of us proves that functional controls and an

The last of us proves that functional controls and an amazing story are a winning formula for games.
  95. Jan 6, 2014
    10 out of 10 is not high another to tell you how perfect this game is the story is so deep you will not stop playing this games story for day's which you will need because of it's long story that hook's you from the beginning of a girl in her house looking for dad Joel the main character to the end spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler. so again the ending Spoiler Spoiler makes the game even10 out of 10 is not high another to tell you how perfect this game is the story is so deep you will not stop playing this games story for day's which you will need because of it's long story that hook's you from the beginning of a girl in her house looking for dad Joel the main character to the end spoiler spoiler spoiler spoiler. so again the ending Spoiler Spoiler makes the game even thought it's not as good as Bioshock infinite and Gone home but it's the most emotional excluding (Gone Homes) ever Expand
  96. Jan 6, 2014
    The last of us is a masterpiece and an fine example of how games can have an outstanding story, incredible gameplay, unbelievable graphics and some of the most tense combat ive ever played, to be honest its hard to find faults and yes the friendly AI can be a pain in the ass and break the immersion but Naughty Dog did that on purpose so if you want to go stealth your teammate wont give youThe last of us is a masterpiece and an fine example of how games can have an outstanding story, incredible gameplay, unbelievable graphics and some of the most tense combat ive ever played, to be honest its hard to find faults and yes the friendly AI can be a pain in the ass and break the immersion but Naughty Dog did that on purpose so if you want to go stealth your teammate wont give you away which is alot better than allowing your teammates to be spotted so that is actually a positive, and the enemy AI really makes up for as they are very clever and will really test your strategic mind. Overall the last of us is quite simply a masterpiece and while ive said this about many other games ive reviewed i only review games on this site that i think are masterpieces so im not just giving every game a 10/10 and calling it a masterpiece, but this game really is so my score: 10/10 Expand
  97. Jan 4, 2014
    The characters and how their relationships are built throughout the game is worthy of the highest praise. The plot plays second fiddle and simply provides an interesting context for the game's content. The Last Of Us is a great character study and there are a number of subtle moments between Ellie and Joel that really stand out.

My only gripe is the deaf and blind response of the enemy

My only gripe is the deaf and blind response of the enemy AI to your companion AI when in stealth mode. Admittedly it's not a game-breaker but it certainly put a damper on the immersion factor when it did occur. As I said, this is the game's only real problem and everything else is exceptional. Unflinchingly violent, nerve wracking and as poignant as a video game can be.
  98. Jan 3, 2014
    I'm going to start this review by making a bold statement. The Last of Us is the best PlayStation 3 game you will ever play. The timing of this game's release, a few months before the PlayStation 4 is no co-incidence. The PS3 has had a good run, but developers have finally reached the limit with the quality of gaming they can produce, but what a way to finish.

The Last of Us is set in

The Last of Us is set in the U.S.A. after the cordyceps infection has ravaged the human race, turning humans into vicious, aggressive, almost rabid-like creatures. The game follows the story of Joel, as he attempts to smuggle Ellie, who is immune to the disease, across the country to safety, with plenty of surprises on the way (I'm being deliberately vague to avoid spoilers). The plot almost resembles a movie script rather than a video game; you'll understand if you've played the game. The ending (again without giving away any plot details) brilliantly leaves the plot open for a sequel; Sony also recently registered domain names relating to The Last of Us 2 and The Last of Us 3 read into that what you will.

Whilst technically a linear game, The Last of Us is probably as close to an open-world game as a linear can be; exploration, strategy and resources play a key part in the game. The combat system in The Last of Us is probably as a real a combat experience as you will get on a video game. Much like real-life, resources are very limited and weapons are very powerful. You can't simply hide from enemies and wait for your health to regenerate, instead the player must use health packs, which can be either acquired or created by the player using resources.

The player can use a variety of firearms in the game, ranging from pistols, to shotguns, to hunting rifles. As ammunition is hard to come by, as in reality, players are often better off using melee weapons, such as baseball bats and planks of wood. Both firearms and melee weapons can be upgraded using parts (a resource which can be found).

Resources are one of the most important aspects of The Last of Us, the player can use them as weapons, ammunition, to distract enemies, replenish their health, upgrade weapons or to access certain areas. Resources such as health packs can also be created by crafting raw materials collected by the player.

The player also has the ability to upgrade weapons using collectable tools, and the opportunity to upgrade their character by collecting bottles of pills.

Whilst it's clear that Naughty Dog focused on the single-play, they have included a multiplayer element as well. Like other Naughty Dog games, it's relatively poor compared to the single-player, but The Last of Us' multiplayer, known as Factions, is a good attempt. The multiplayer takes place in the same environment as the game. Players choose one of two Factions, Fireflies (in yellow) and Hunters (in blue). There are no special abilities which are unique to any faction. The player leads a clan of survivors through 12 weeks, gathering supplies in order to advance the clan. Each match counts as one day, and supplies must be gathered to supply the clan; if the necessary supplies aren't gathered then clan members will begin to get hungry, get ill or die. Clan members can then be healed by reaching the required numbers of supplies. The Factions game mode can also be linked to Facebook.

To sum it up, The Last of Us will be, in my opinion, the best PS3 exclusive you will ever play, and possibly the best game you'll ever play on PS3 (the only real game that could compete with it is Grand Theft Auto V). The plot will keep you entertained for hours, and probably more.
  99. Jan 2, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What a game this is. From start to finish this game grips and excites you. It's all about survival you can't help but get right into the storyline as the characters are just average normal people it's so easy to relate to them and put yourself in that situation.

The graphics, the locations, the backdrop, the noises, the music has all been carefully put together and is totally in sync with each other. The atmosphere is frightening with strange noises or footsteps echoing around the corner.

No negatives at all to speak of (wish the storyline lasted longer as it is so good is the only thing). This game is close to perfection and totally unique. Easily the game of the year and just as easily in my top 10 of all time games as it is so different from the standard RPG/FPS/Adventure games out there. Ignore the handful of negative comments about tiny irrelevant details. THIS GAME IS AWESOME

Bravo Naughty Dog 9.5/10
  100. Jan 2, 2014
    This,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage thatThis,this game is a masterpiece. I don't care what you think otherwise but this 50$ or £40 is the best you'll spend/or would spend in 2013/2014 Naughty Dog outdid themselves with this, it is even better than a classic for the PS one 'Crash Bandicoot'.Although the start is very hard to swallow with the slowness and the death of his daughter,but that over comes itself with the bondage that him and Ellie grow over the course of this magnificent game. The detail here is mind blowing it pushes the PS3 to the limit,i'm glad i chose this console over the XBOX 360 becuase even though if i had an XBOX 360 i would go out my way and buy a PS3 and this game,and i would play it over and over,but i have already done that and i saved some money also.All pf this was based on the Single Player,now onto the MP or what it's called in the menu 'Factions'.This game wouldn't need that game mode,it would still get those 10/10's 5/5's and 100./100's but with that stealth/survivor mode it makes the game so more fun and adds much replay value.In that mode you start with nearly nothing and it makes you open little red tool boxes with the tools part and crafting materials so you can help your team win.You going have to choose between the rebellion side and the Firefly side which are mentioned in the single player and Joel must help the firefly leader to deliver a 'Package'.But in here you don't come close to do stuff like that,you have your own 'clan' that you must need to feed and expand by doing good in your matches and then you collect 'food' to make sure your survivors are healthy well fed and not hungry.

If you are wanting to buy this masterpiece of a game i recommend doing it now,this moment,run.
    And if you have an XBOX buy a ps3 and this game or buy the game and go to a friend that has a ps3 push him out the way and play it.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]