• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jul 6, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic games such as The Last of Us, but for some reason I just didn't pay this game any mind. After hearing about how good it was and being told by just about everyone to get it I decided to finally try it out. I'm glad I did because The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. It's a perfect example of how to make a video game a perfect cinematicI'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic games such as The Last of Us, but for some reason I just didn't pay this game any mind. After hearing about how good it was and being told by just about everyone to get it I decided to finally try it out. I'm glad I did because The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. It's a perfect example of how to make a video game a perfect cinematic experience without sacrificing anything in the gameplay department. It's a survival game with a fantastic story and characters. Having to constantly scrounge around for supplies really gives you the feeling that you're doing whatever it takes to survive in this harsh world. Combat is always intense and brutal. I have to give special praise to the games satisfying melee combat because it's truly awesome. By far the best part of the story mode is the actual story. I don't want to spoil anything but I can tell you that it's an emotional tale filled with characters so human you can't help but care about them. The multiplayer is also a lot of fun and something different than the norm. You choose one of two factions and battle it out for supplies to grow your own virtual faction and keep them alive. The actual gameplay revolves around teamwork and making smart use of your limited supplies. Even in multiplayer you'll be scrounging to survive. The Last of Us is a fantastic experience that pull you in and wont let you go. Go pick it up now, if you don't you wont just be missing out on one of the best games of this year, but also one of the best games of all time. Expand
  2. Jul 7, 2013
    Any title as well reviewed as the Last of Us will always be a target for people looking for attention. All I can say is ignore them because this is undoubtedly one of the games of the current console generation.

Anything this ambitious will of course have a few minor flaws (the most noticeable being the odd occasion in which your companion stands out in the open and doesn’t get seen) but these are easy to ignore thanks to the virtually perfect mix of cinematic storytelling and superbly tense gameplay that kept me enthralled for the entire 17 hours it took me to complete it. If you don’t own a PS3 there is no better reason to buy one than The Last of Us.
  3. Aug 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, TheThe Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, The Last of Us often treads uneven ground. The game is very repetitive. You enter an area, kill or sneak past a finite amount of enemies and then escape that area via a ladder wheely bin garage door floating pallet. Then you enter the next area and do exactly the same. Aside from aesthetic changes, there is almost no deviation in this routine. Why Joel and Ellie can seemingly always find a ladder or pallet whenever they need one is quite the mystery indeed. It kind of reminds me of the old Adam west Batman TV show, where the Bats had a repellent for every known situation ever developed (shark repellent bear repellent heterosexual repellent... etc). The sheer stupidity of that mechanic broke immersion many, many times. The combat is decent enough. The human enemy A.I is nice, with lots of flanking and cover tactics being employed. The stealthy monster takedowns feel very gamey and arena based but they're OK too. The difficulty can be pretty harsh at times. This was a game that I had to repeat many different sections of. It can get frustrating because the checkpoint system sends you right back to the start of the 'arena' you're in, sometimes deleting a fair amount of hard-fought progress. Overall, The Last of Us was a very memorable experience. There was far too much stupidity and frustration in the gameplay for it to be perfect but that story... Wow! Expand
  4. Apr 26, 2014
    even though i have not played this game . i did watch it on youtube .Last of us is a game of fun , epic and a romantic story behind it . Its not a die had zombie game like [ dead rising 3 ] or any fun games . its actually a zombie classic . The realtionship between the ellie and joel during a zombie apocalypse is what is part of the game basically and find a way to get out of it . Grade A+
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    While, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot IWhile, not a game for everyone, the Last of Us immerses you in its atmosphere so well that you feel you are right there in this apocalyptic zombie future. The motion capture, subtle emotion, and voice work are all top notch and the best I've ever seen/heard. Also, the vastness of space combined with the amount of detail in this game is jaw dropping. At times, I was so immersed I forgot I was watching a video game and felt like I was watching real people trek through a journey of survival. I think the overall gameplay experience will be a love it or hate it. Like some games that focus solely on action combat, this game focuses solely on survival combat. Theres not a lot of variety between core gameplay mechanics. Its always either stealth, survival combat, or environmental traversal. So if you love those mechanics, you'll love this game, but if you wish for something more, this game may not satisfy you completely. Also, this is not really a horror game, its a survival game. It not scary in the sense that when you see a monster you are horrified by its look and sound, its horrifying in the sense of hopelessness the present world evokes. Its horrifying to see how people now interact with each other because of this hopelessness in the world. The reason I didn't give the game a 10 was the survival of the main characters at times seemed so far fetched and forced to keep the story going. While I know this is just a "game" and pretty much every game does this, I think it stood out more in this game because everything else was so much more immersive. Also, the core gameplay wasn't my cup of tea. Overall tho, I enjoyed Naughty Dog's unique take on the zombie videogame genre. Expand
  6. Jun 23, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. What does it mean to be called a masterful game? If you look or play for an hour of The Last of Us, that question might just be answered, hell even the prologue is enough to make you go crying into your pillow. This is the ultimate swan song of this generation, and could easily contend with being the best of them all.
    Naughty Dog, the wonderful creators behind Uncharted, have not created a carbon copy of their best selling franchise, and while there are similarities in terms of gameplay and mechanics, it firmly stands on its own two feet as not only better than Uncharted, but something special that may never be matched again.
    The game is a fully interactive piece of art, kicking off in the current year where we bear witness to a vicious fungal outbreak that 'infects' most of the population, infect or infected being the prime word here, contrary to popular belief, this is not a regular zombie post-apocalyptic flick, for the simple reason that these are not zombies, they are infected human beings as outlined by the creators.
    We assume the role of Joel, a late thirties/early forties man who is the victim of a tragic opening in the game, where we are introduced to what exactly has happened, but its when the game fast forwards 20 years that the full extent of the title is explained, unknown as to who has survived the outbreak and under strict military regime, Joel works as a smuggler for a local band of misfits in a quarantined Boston, but when he is tasked with smuggling a young girl called Ellie across the country, he is initially quite skeptical about going out of his way for this girl that he knows nothing about .
    While they start to traverse across a broken America, their initial awkwardness around each other starts to wear off, and one of the highlights of the game is the conversations that these two have. Ellie, who was born after the outbreak, is in a strange world and often likes to hear about how it used to be her surprise at random stories of the past may just have you questioning your own life and what has been forgotten.
    Taking place across a year, we witness the various seasons and beautiful landscapes and cities that Naughty Dog has created for our two heroes, whatever diverse and rich environment you are in for a particular part of the story, be sure to explore it, simply for the fact that supplies and ammunition are low throughout the game, where choices have to be made in terms of what you can carry and and what you may need to carry.
    As a story, The Last of Us is a true benchmark not only in game storytelling, but in a literary sense it is near perfect. These creatures that attack you are never brushed off with rock music to show any valour in our characters, they realise that these are still people, but of course these infected are a force to be reckoned with, a group called Clickers may just have you being sleepless for a while, these ones have got the worst of the infection, and while they cannot see, the slightest noise you make will alert them and have them chasing you endlessly, the name of them deriving from the sound they make, one of the most dreaded sounds in the game, because not matter what age you may be, this is a frightening and emotionally draining story from start to finish, whether you have to somehow sneak or fight your way through a band of infected, or if your only source of light is a torch clipped to your chest, these are some of the best but most frightening pieces of the game.
    The creators have proved once again that an amount of care and sympathy can be felt for video game characters, Joel and Ellie are the most unlikely duo with the biggest task at hand, and each and every time one of them hit any trouble, there is despair to be felt in case any harm should come to them, we laugh and perhaps cry with them, Ellie isn't able to swim and Joel must go and find something to help her cross, its the little things that give us so much from these characters, a remarkable feat from the makers, they know how bad they have it, and now we must share their pain, with the limited ammo that we have.
    No analysis of multiplayer, I have yet to play it, but for what the game is created for, the story, this is a truly wondrous and phenomenal stroke of genius and creative mastery, an epic tale of survival, loyalty, willpower, loneliness but most of all, friendship. The game is truly breathtaking and will undoubtedly stand the test of time and should deservedly be on everyone's list as one of the best games ever created, because it will certainly not be a forgettable experience.
  7. Oct 22, 2013
    Its ok had one playthrough didn't seem anything special, found it quite easy to do. Can't see what all the hypes about? Really just a lot of shooting and little bit of sneaking mostly...
  8. Nov 9, 2014
    Can not seem to digest when it reaches the end, you are challenged to the limit in such a humane and sentimental drama you clings easily and is hard to say goodbye. I really do not know how to call this grandeur that despite being a game and brings a very human feeling emanates from there and he slingshot you. THE LAST OF US is not just any game is a masterpiece grand and unforgettable andCan not seem to digest when it reaches the end, you are challenged to the limit in such a humane and sentimental drama you clings easily and is hard to say goodbye. I really do not know how to call this grandeur that despite being a game and brings a very human feeling emanates from there and he slingshot you. THE LAST OF US is not just any game is a masterpiece grand and unforgettable and full of feelings where we are challenged to try each one. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    Lovely game and will be a contender for game of the year for sure, The Last of Us is not exactly about the story but the journey for the main characters, Joel and Ellie. The story has quite a few twists and turns and the combat is really well done. Don't expect an indepth fighting system or gunplay as that's not what this game is about. The combat is well done but there's not much there inLovely game and will be a contender for game of the year for sure, The Last of Us is not exactly about the story but the journey for the main characters, Joel and Ellie. The story has quite a few twists and turns and the combat is really well done. Don't expect an indepth fighting system or gunplay as that's not what this game is about. The combat is well done but there's not much there in the first place, which is good as that leaves them more time to focus on the journey of the characters. The development of both Joel and Ellie is very well done and the characters you meet up with on the way are excellently crafted and, when they eventually leave, they will get you to remember their presence for the rest of the game. This game is very dark and depressing. Don't go into it thinking things will go well for Joel and Ellie because nothing goes well for them. You will definitely love the game but know that you won't feel happy at the end of it. It lasts for about 12 hours and you'll definitely remember the whole thing. Highly recommend it and I highly recommend playing on the hardest difficulty and sticking with it. Expand
  10. Jun 22, 2013
    The Last of Us shows the world that gaming is as legitimate an entertainment form as any other medium, it defines its genre of action-adventure and it is also the biggest reason to own a PS3 if you dont already.
    20 years ago a fungal infection spread across the world, killing most of the human race. Now in the year 2033 the USA is governed by a security force who have herded survivors into quarantine zones, they are ruthless and will dish out punishment with extreme prejudice. An underground movement known as the Fireflies is rebelling against them and you, a middle aged man named Joel, are tasked with assisting them in escorting a young girl named Ellie across the country for she holds the cure to the virus that has plagued the world for 20 years.
    The story takes place over roughly a year and shows how Joel & Ellie's relationship changes from two people who are stuck with each other to that of a Father and Daughter scenario. This brings in some great plotlines usually revolving around concepts such as life and death or survival.
    The graphical standard of TLoU is simply mind-blowing, this is probably the best looking PS3 game ever made, from the lighting to the motion capture and textures, everything is utterly beautiful in TLoU.
    The multiplayer is also fun and doesn't compromise the main storylines quality.
    In short TLoU is a 12-15 hour thrill ride. If Telltale's The Walking Dead and Resident Evil 4 had a baby (whilst Uncharted was briefly involved for a threesome) this would be it. The Last of Us is superb from heart wrenching beginning to tear jerking end and once you are done all you want to do is go back and play it again and again.
  11. Aug 9, 2014
    I felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than aI felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than a classic problem-solving approach where you are fully attended to progressing through the game. When Call of Duty shows technical excellence and standard gameplay, I call it an entertaining game. TLoU is similar in its ratio of technical excellence vs gameplay innovation. It's entertaining and a feast for the eyes. But the exciting zombie franchise is still called The Walking Dead, and the exciting Naughty Dog franchise is called Uncharted.

I leaned towards a 7/10 or even 8/10, but I stopped playing after completing the campaign. No alternative game modes (except online) to play around with. No exciting trophies to attempt. Just a few dozen inconsequential collectibles scattered throughout the campaign, and trophies for completing it several times. In a campaign where so many sections play on the strength of surprise and 'first-sight-marvel' I'd just rather play something else after seeing it once.

The ending is satisfying, but you could just read a plot summary and then watch the final hour on Youtube and get what the game wanted to tell. I liked the message (hint: love) but it wasn't necessary to trod through so many hours of slow progression to feel the impact of the story.
  12. Aug 14, 2014
    A masterpiece that surpasses Uncharted 2 and tells a realistic tale and gives a vicious gameplay. I'm just wordless with this game. It's just amazing.

Yep.
  13. Sep 16, 2014
    The main characters are really handsome and the people who did their voice,they are just amazing.The graphics are spectacular and the story is not original but still fun to play.
  14. Jul 19, 2013
    wow what a great amazing game naughty dog did it again after the amazing uncharted and brought us The last of us first let's talk about the graphics the graphics in this game are up good they're so good best graphic ever on ps3 ,the lighting the shadows the way their mouth and body moves is so realistic you feel like they're real people ,The gameplay familiar?yes awesome yes, itwow what a great amazing game naughty dog did it again after the amazing uncharted and brought us The last of us first let's talk about the graphics the graphics in this game are up good they're so good best graphic ever on ps3 ,the lighting the shadows the way their mouth and body moves is so realistic you feel like they're real people ,The gameplay familiar?yes awesome yes, it is as if naughty dog wanted to tell capcom you didn't have to turn survival horror into action to succeed also the crafting in this game is awesome some games make it bad and makes you hate it but in this game it's easy and works really well the ammo is a bit rare in this game but you'll end up saving many ammo as the game urges you to play more stealth which by the end you'll be so good at it stealth kill in this game are amazing when you strangle someone the man tries to resist you'll feel like that's how strangling should be ,the story in this game is so damn good it has so many emotional dark and sad moments you'll ever see in a game and the ending believe me you'll never see it coming but after all that what naughty dog did really well in this game is the AI it so good although friendly AI can be bad at some moment bad the enemy's AI is so good for example i took one as a human shield but his friend shot him and killed to be able to kill me that's AI right there in the end i loved the character loved the story and loved the game play
    so is this an overrated game no believe me it deserves to be one of the finest games of this generation
  15. Jun 27, 2013
    One of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly wellOne of the best games I have ever played on the PS3 system! I played the game on "hard" setting and the game gave me a great challenge! The gameplay was very well balanced, I was forced to think before shooting and had to use different strategies to complete the goals set by the game designers! With the great gameplay the player also gets treated with a great story, amazingly well developed characters and best cut scenes seen on the ps3 to date! Expand
  16. Oct 19, 2014
    Twenty years after a pandemic radically transformed known civilization, infected humans run amuck and survivors kill one another for sustenance and weapons - literally whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a salty survivor, is hired to smuggle a fourteen-year-old girl, Ellie, out of a rough military quarantine, but what begins as a simple job quickly turns into a brutal journeyTwenty years after a pandemic radically transformed known civilization, infected humans run amuck and survivors kill one another for sustenance and weapons - literally whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a salty survivor, is hired to smuggle a fourteen-year-old girl, Ellie, out of a rough military quarantine, but what begins as a simple job quickly turns into a brutal journey across the country. Expand
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    I was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earnsI was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earns your passion. The music, the graphics, the sound are mind-blowing. Every goddamn thing about this game screams perfection. Naughty Dog stepped away from their cartoonish Uncharted and Jak & Daxter and got my heart pumped and passion burning bright red. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!! Either you go stealth or combat, it works out beautifully. It is one of the greatest games ever. Plain and simple. Those who disagree are completely blind or have not yet experienced the pure awesomeness of this game. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. Major replay value Expand
  18. Jul 2, 2013
    The saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to beThe saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to be the game that defines the PS3. It's extraordinary!! Any PS3 owner who doesn't own this doesn't deserve to have the console. It's a masterpiece from start to finish. The game follows the journey of Joel and Ellie, who travel across a post-apocalyptic America in 2033 following the outbreak of a mutant cordyceps as they seek The Fireflies, a resistance group who believe Ellie has the cure to save the world. The story is captivating and an emotional tour-de-force throughout. Never has a game touched me so much as this. Its full of emotional highs and lows where every decision has a consequence as you battle zombie-like infected mutants, bandits and cannibals as you battle across a savaged USA. The setting is actually stunning. The post-apocalyptic America is mesmerising and so authentic. Naughty Dog really have raised the bar once again. The scenery is beautiful. And graphically, this is as good as it gets. It's frightening to think what Naughty Dog will have instore with next gen. The gameplay is near flawless. Much like Uncharted but more free flowing. The environments really play a vital part and the stealth aspect was a splendid inclusion. It really makes you as the gamer in charge of the method you wish to complete the game because enemies react differently depending on your approach. Your also able to craft weapons during the game which again is genius! The story is where The Last of Us is truly exceptional. It's such a rewarding and exhilarating experience. Right from the tragic beginning to the contentious ending. It's an unforgettable game The journey and the experience alone are awesome. You feel part of Joel and Ellie's story. And there relationship is at the heart of the story. It blossoms beautifully throughout. In conclusion this could well be the ultimate game available. In terms of an all round package, it's unmissable. It showcases exactly what the PS3 does best. And at it's very best. The Last of Us is not only n imperative purchase for any PS3 owner but the must have game of the year! Expand
  19. Jan 30, 2014
    I had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is theI had very big expectations for this Naughty Dog project... AND I LOVED IT! This is without any doubt, one of the best games i've ever played!! The Single-Player campain is awesome and the story is amazing!! The graphics are beautiful! The Gameplay is great! And the multiplayer is pretty good, but not better than Uncharted though! And now After beating it i can easily say that this is the game with the best story i've ever played!! I think every ps3 owner should buy this game before upgarding to ps4! Thank you Naughty Dog! Expand
  20. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to say more of the same. The Last of Us is not only this best, the most important game of THIS generation. It is, probably, one of the best, most important gaming experiences ever conceived. I don't know where to start, honestly. So I will use this review just to say one thing: if you care about games, if you play them, if games are something you take seriously, I BEG you don't missI have to say more of the same. The Last of Us is not only this best, the most important game of THIS generation. It is, probably, one of the best, most important gaming experiences ever conceived. I don't know where to start, honestly. So I will use this review just to say one thing: if you care about games, if you play them, if games are something you take seriously, I BEG you don't miss this one out. I don't need to talk about graphics, text, voice acting, gameplay etc etc. The videos and reviews are all praising all those things. What I will say is that never before had I such a deep, emotional, haunting experience. It got me thrilled, excited, sad, juggling laughter and tears in equal portions. This is more than a game. It's the perfect film, the perfect book, the perfect song. And, call me crazy, a beautiful memory as well. I will never forget this game. Expand
  21. ERB
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Last Of Us is a good game and an interesting story.
  22. Jul 18, 2014
    Es impresionante que en el tramo final de PS3 salga un juego así de bueno. La historia es muy interesante y contiene giros totalmente inesperados. El prólogo ya te pone la piel de gallina... Técnicamente es una delicia y la jugabilidad es exquisita. La relación entre Joel y Ellie es una de las mejores que se han visto en un videojuego. El final del juego es muy original e inesperado.Es impresionante que en el tramo final de PS3 salga un juego así de bueno. La historia es muy interesante y contiene giros totalmente inesperados. El prólogo ya te pone la piel de gallina... Técnicamente es una delicia y la jugabilidad es exquisita. La relación entre Joel y Ellie es una de las mejores que se han visto en un videojuego. El final del juego es muy original e inesperado. Compra imprescindible para cualquier poseedor de PS3. Expand
  23. Jan 18, 2014
    The Last of Us has a good story but that's all that's good about it. The stealth mechanics were poorly executed and the fact that you must often kill enemies and their near sightedness renders them obsolete. The overly common checkpoints take away most of the challenge and tension and that mixed with the fact you must often kill enemies to progress makes it feel less like a survival game.The Last of Us has a good story but that's all that's good about it. The stealth mechanics were poorly executed and the fact that you must often kill enemies and their near sightedness renders them obsolete. The overly common checkpoints take away most of the challenge and tension and that mixed with the fact you must often kill enemies to progress makes it feel less like a survival game. The enemy AI is rather bad and the companion AI is never helpful. The plot is cliché and uninteresting and the supporting characters are annoying. There is a few bugs most notably one that deletes your saved game. The multiplayer is low on content with only the standard deathmatch and team deathmatch. Deathmatch can easily turn into hide and seek and team deathmatch is decent but nothing noteworthy. Naughty Dog needs to learn that a game needs more than story. Expand
  24. Jun 19, 2013
    i had just finished this game and i have say this... this game is epic mind blowing character design is awesome chemistry between Joel and Ellie cool cinematic cut screen epic way capture the emotion action all of plants type zombie where really cool the gun fight between other survivor and bandits where not to bad my personally favorite was Ellie she love to swear a lot lol

to see

to see drama go thru this horror apocalyptic setting was intense and really capture the thrill
    i give this game 10 out of 10
  25. Oct 1, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is unlike anything I’ve ever played before. I’ve always found stories in video games intriguing and some of them even get me emotional, but for the first time ever, I feel like a video game has rivaled some of Hollywood’s greatest stories. From the very beginning, this game absorbs you in emotionally, I was literally crying within the first ten minutes. As the story"The Last of Us" is unlike anything I’ve ever played before. I’ve always found stories in video games intriguing and some of them even get me emotional, but for the first time ever, I feel like a video game has rivaled some of Hollywood’s greatest stories. From the very beginning, this game absorbs you in emotionally, I was literally crying within the first ten minutes. As the story progresses, there are multiple moments where I noticed myself tearing up and getting a lump in my throat. These moments don’t only occur during the cinematic cut scenes, but through normal game play, especially as you near the end.

The story of “The Last of Us” is about survival as our heroes try to make it to the Fireflies, a resistance group, to find a cure for the infestation of plant-like zombies. Along the way they face the infected and other humans who, much like them, are trying to survive the harsh environment created by the infected outbreak. Through this journey, themes of survival, sacrifice, loyalty, fate, and hope are all tackled and handled very well to where by the end, you begin to question some of the decisions made by the characters.

The game play is superb and the controls are solid. I had a weird time adjusting to the controls, but within a couple of hours, I couldn’t imagine myself playing it any other way. The game play on the other hand is quit satisfying. The melee, shooting, stealth, and cover system are all executed well. The great part about the game play is that it requires the player to think, rather than just rely on a couple of weapons or strategies. Ammo is very scarce and guns in general attract a lot of attention, so when playing you must be smart about using it. Weapons also break and you are required to make some of them yourself, however, the challenge is finding the right materials. This game is also pretty hard. The A.I. is incredibly intelligent as they react to your slightest mistakes and capitalize on it. So you’ll be in constant terror of enemies appearing out of nowhere and just ruining some of your progress.

The characters, Joel and Ellie, are fantastically written. Joel is a hardened survivor, who has a lot of baggage and is very closed off emotionally, but also has a strong protective instinct. Ellie is a foul mouthed teenager, who, much like Joel, is all alone in this world and has to learn to grow and become more independent. There are so many little quirks to these characters that make them seem so very real and relateable. For instance, when nothing is happening and Joel is just scavenging around, Ellie will start whistling or humming. These little things make us fall in love with these characters. Their interactions are charming as they have a father daughter relationship and it great watching it develop. All the supporting characters are fantastic as well and one thing to really appreciate is that there are no blatant black and white character. Not even our heroes can be justified as “do-gooders” as everyone has a reason for what they are doing. The voice work is some of the best I’ve ever heard. The voice actors really put a lot of effort into making these characters radiate off the screen.

Visually this game is amazing. The character designs and movement are pleasing to the eyes. The bleak and apocalyptic world that has been crafted is something to marvel at as there are a lot of little things to look out for. The architecture and environments all have a story to tell of what might have happened. It’s a world that we don’t want to live in as there is nothing that remotely resembles an ideal living location. However, when, we actually do see signs of beauty, much like how the characters react, we too get a sense of wonderment. The musical score is also beautiful. Most of the time it’s very subtle and almost not there, but when something is about to go down, it kicks in. Giving us feelings of sheer fear for our lives in the more survival orientated moments to a more emotional sensation in the intense story driven moments.

Overall, “The Last of Us” is a truly amazing game that must be experienced by everyone and has become my personal favorite of all time. It is a game that isn’t revolutionary in its concept, but groundbreaking in its execution. From strong game play, to likable and relateable characters, to an intense story and emotionally draining experience, this game defies expectations and becomes a new standard for the industry. I give it an extremely high 5/5, an experience unlike anything else and the ending will leave you speechless.

Having waited several months to write this review, I have come to the conclusion that “The Last of Us” is one of the greatest games ever made. From a storytelling perspective, it is a game that is as revolutionary to the industry as Mario was for the very first time so long ago. Naughty Dog has made a game that is going to shift the way story is going to be handled in video games. Much like how many games after “Uncharted 2: Among Theives” released became more cinematic and like a Hollywood blockbuster, “The Last of Us” is going to make developers want to create a more intimate and a more emotional experience with characters that are well developed and relatable.
  26. Jun 17, 2013
    The Last of Us has officially de-throned Red Dead Redemption as the best game that i have ever played! This is an absolutely amazing experience that needs to be had by everyone! It has an rich and engaging setting that is just begging to be explored, the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game that really brings the world and the characters to life, and a deep and heartfelt storyThe Last of Us has officially de-throned Red Dead Redemption as the best game that i have ever played! This is an absolutely amazing experience that needs to be had by everyone! It has an rich and engaging setting that is just begging to be explored, the best graphics I have ever seen in a video game that really brings the world and the characters to life, and a deep and heartfelt story of hope and survival against all odds. Lastly, to top it all off The Last of Us has some of the most unique and fun multiplayer I have ever played! Its refreshing to see a game that decides to step out and try something new instead of just be another Call of Duty clone! Now the only complaints i do have about this game are a few audio bugs and that the characters can occasionally glitch out when the combats gets really frantic... However, those are completely minor complaints to what is otherwise an absolutely fantastic and jaw dropping experience!! Expand
  27. Sep 9, 2013
    It's a shame that Xbox only gamers can't play this game because it truly deserves game of the year title. The story is an emotional, most dramatic struggle to escort a young girl across the dangerous wasteland to safety. It's a game that adult gamers like me are always looking for, yet they are so few an far in between. Combat is tough with very little room for mistakes. Some might beIt's a shame that Xbox only gamers can't play this game because it truly deserves game of the year title. The story is an emotional, most dramatic struggle to escort a young girl across the dangerous wasteland to safety. It's a game that adult gamers like me are always looking for, yet they are so few an far in between. Combat is tough with very little room for mistakes. Some might be turned off by this who would rather play games that allows them to sustain massive amount of damage, but I believe in a genre game like this, the combat fits in perfectly. Naughty Dog was already the masters of great graphics, but this game really tops everything they've done so far from the graphics, texture and lighting, it's all marvelous. I don't do multiplayer, so I can't comment on that aspect. But basing the score on single player alone...it's an easy ten. Expand
  28. Jun 19, 2013
    Great story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and thatGreat story. Amazing graphics/effects add to the sensational immersion. Fantastic characters who you (at least I did) actually feel for and become invested in, particularly since there really is character development. Voice acting is superb. The opening scene, with what happens to Joel and... well, wow. That hit me hard and was totally unexpected. I may or may not have teared up, and that was within ten minutes after starting the game. Lots of great heart-pumping action and unexpected twists of varying sizes that help to really spice things up, because just when you think it's going one way it goes another.

My cons/gripes: shooting in this game could use some improvement. Gameplay is still rough around the edges too.. And the AI in terms of enemies and your allies, while often great, is sometimes erratic and unrealistic in that sometimes while sneaking around my ally would be all up in the enemy's face and neither one would do anything as if they didn't see each other even though they were right in front of one another.

All in all, no ifs, ands, or buts about it, YOU MUST PLAY THIS GAME.
  29. Nov 20, 2013
    Un juego increíble, la trama te enganchará desde el primer minuto hasta el último, el modo historia dura mas de 15 horas, con una jugabilidad excepcional, te enganchará, va mas allá de lo que prometía, el doblaje esta genial, los gráficos son excelentes, los escenarios tan inmensos para poder indagar de casa en casa, para poder investigar, descubrir, tiene momentos de mucha tensión y masUn juego increíble, la trama te enganchará desde el primer minuto hasta el último, el modo historia dura mas de 15 horas, con una jugabilidad excepcional, te enganchará, va mas allá de lo que prometía, el doblaje esta genial, los gráficos son excelentes, los escenarios tan inmensos para poder indagar de casa en casa, para poder investigar, descubrir, tiene momentos de mucha tensión y mas de una vez te llevarás algún susto, una vez mas los creadores de Uncharted vuelven a sorprenderme con un juego exquisito y que pone el broche de oro al catalogo de Playstation 3, compra obligada, juego fascinante, totalmente recomendado. No te arrepentirás. Expand
  30. Dec 30, 2013
    We are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feelWe are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feel like going guns blazing to get over it. And while you can go gun blazing, it has its costs: you put yourself and other allies at greater risk, and you end up wasting ammo. Speaking of ammo, you really must conserve as you can't carry much, and finding ammo is rare. And when you do find it, it's not much. So use your guns as a FINAL RESORT. And no rechargeable health here either; it's back to finding medkits. And even though you can carry medkits, using them will leave you vulnerable.

Now onto the story. It is one of the greatest and most personal stories ever written. This isn't about the disease, or mankind. It's about Joel and Ellie. They are very human and you'll want to see how their relationship develops over the course of the story. Not spoiling anything, but let's just say that there are times that will make you say, "Would I have done that?"

As for online, it's quite fun. You really need teamwork. And no gun-blazing or rechargeable health either. Leave you Call of Duty attitude at the door, and you'll do well.

Games like these tell us not to abandon the PS3 yet. And if you don't have a PS3, now is the time. So what if it's 7 years old? That just means you have seven years worth of epic games in its library, and "The Last of Us" is one of them.
  31. Sep 27, 2013
    Naughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feelsNaughty Dog is one of the best game developer. The Last of Us is an impressive demonstration of how it can and should be done. It's one epic story-driven adventure. Beautiful graphics and environments, stunning cutscenes that almost make you forget that its a game. Smooth and responsible gameplay. There is unlimited ways to approach most of the combat sections and it never feels repetitive. The characters are possibly the best a game has had, voice acting/cutscenes and the way the story is told make this game feel incredibly real. I felt genuinely attached to what happened and really cared about the story. Expand
  32. Jun 20, 2013
    This game was a masterpiece. The gameplay was fun, and the limited ammo made you adjust the way you play the game. The stealth was a good option to have, and is very effective. The character's and the story was the star of the game, all the character's had emotions that you can relate with; it felt like a real post apocalyptic world. My only complaints in this game were that the A.I wasThis game was a masterpiece. The gameplay was fun, and the limited ammo made you adjust the way you play the game. The stealth was a good option to have, and is very effective. The character's and the story was the star of the game, all the character's had emotions that you can relate with; it felt like a real post apocalyptic world. My only complaints in this game were that the A.I was overrated, and I would've prefered more infected enemies than human enemies. But yeah if your expecting a dead rising type game, you would be disappointed, I would even go as far as say this game is slow paced in a good way; but it was worth it at the end. It was like a rollercoaster of action, emotion, suspense, fear, drama, etc. I actually didn't want this game to end, and not a lot of games can do that with me. Expand
  33. Jul 25, 2014
    Masterpiece of a game and will be a legendary game in the video game franchise for as long as they exist. The story is just excellent, the gameplay is very good (some occasional bugs, for example when you are sneaking about trying to avoid the clickers or normal enemies sometimes ellie will run about and walk straight into them but they wont notice her at times) its the second best game ofMasterpiece of a game and will be a legendary game in the video game franchise for as long as they exist. The story is just excellent, the gameplay is very good (some occasional bugs, for example when you are sneaking about trying to avoid the clickers or normal enemies sometimes ellie will run about and walk straight into them but they wont notice her at times) its the second best game of the last generation, behind GTA V . Expand
  34. Jul 26, 2014
    The Last of Us is my favorite Playstation 3 game. The gameplay and story are just perfect. Online multiplayer is engaging and extremely addicted. This is one of the best games ever made.
  35. Jul 14, 2013
    This is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgivenThis is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgiven as the writers try to show what standards have to be set in such a world their characters are living it. It's not out of the question that this has me feeling just how to well this game was designed and set up (overall). It really is worth your time, go for it! Expand
  36. Sep 15, 2013
    I'm currently half the way first playthrough but there is absolutely nothing that could spoil pure 10 score for this game. Awesome graphics, incredible story and probably most balanced stealth gameplay in history make this game one of top games ever made.

99% people with bad scores for this game are XBox trols because this is their only PS3 review after a lot of Box reviews. If you already don't have PS this is one of the games which make worth to buy. Hope they will make PS4 version and give us cheap upgrade!!!
  37. Jun 15, 2013
    "...Even the best video games that have the most consistent worlds haven't been able to match their individual elements in such a way as to give you what Naughty Dog's game can give you..."

Greek Review http://goo.gl/2WUxN
  38. Jun 15, 2013
    Very nice game. I play something about 2 hours, but was enough to make this review.
    The graphics is the best of ps3, however make we miss the next gen or a game for hardcore pc.

The story is very nice, the ambient is very beatiful. I didnt look for multiplayer yet.
  39. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Updated engine, looks realistic, and on the level of Uncharted, but character models look better. Uncharted has the water advantage in some areas, and others it’s the same. 10.

Sound: Amazing professional voice acting, sounds/themes are perfect and match with the gameplay. 10. Gameplay: The game is a survival game with stealth elements, and shooting portions, and

Gameplay: The game is a survival game with stealth elements, and shooting portions, and overall the game is intense. It’s hard to aim making it more realistic, but you can upgrade you’re stats with supplements. There are items you can craft such as health kits, grenades, upgrade melee weapon, bow, etc. You must make use of your supplies as you progress through the game, and you must search houses, garages, everywhere to ensure you get everything(optional but if you don’t you may have a hard time further in the game). It’s a linear experience, but one of the best experienced, alongside the Uncharted series. For a survival game it’s one of the best I have ever played. 10.

Story: The game has a major impact at the start which no game has ever had. After the game is a little bit slow building up the storyline, 2 hours later for the story to progress. Amazing moments in the middle, and near the end of the game, but I felt that while Naughty Dog didn’t leave a cliff hanger ending, they purposely left room to continue this New IP. 10.

Replay Value: The single player can range up to 20 hours, and there’s a multiplayer. The multiplayer consists of a lot of stealth, it’s a good add-on, and I didn’t give it much time but I still enjoyed it. 10.

Overall Score: 10 out of 10.
  40. Nov 5, 2014
    This game can get a bit boring at some parts, but by no means does that define the game. This is one of the few games that grabs your emotions and takes them for a ride along with the game. You'll be happy at times, sad at others. It's a great length for a game, and just so interesting to play. I can't say enough good things about this game, it's going to be a classic one day, a game thatThis game can get a bit boring at some parts, but by no means does that define the game. This is one of the few games that grabs your emotions and takes them for a ride along with the game. You'll be happy at times, sad at others. It's a great length for a game, and just so interesting to play. I can't say enough good things about this game, it's going to be a classic one day, a game that was one of the best in it's era, so don't pass up the chance to play this game. Expand
  41. Jun 15, 2013
    Look, without spoiling anything, I will just say this: The Last of Us is one of the best games of all time, no exaggeration. If you're a (real) gamer you will enjoy this. I don't recommend for those that don't pay attention to stories though, because Story is the best thing about this game. Buy this masterpiece!
  42. Nov 26, 2013
    This is one of my all time favorite games, such a flawless game probally naughty dogs best game yet. Hopefully they will continue this franchise on the ps4.
  43. Jun 15, 2013
    Let's see... Do you like story-driven games with immersive voice acting/cut-scenes and great gameplay? If yes, then this game is for you. The Last of Us is one of the best games this gen and I recommend to every (real) gamer out there. Have fun!
  44. Jul 31, 2013
    A masterpiece. Naughty Dog made yet another masterpiece. This game is as close to perfection as ever: a deep and emotional storyline with an unforgettable ending (and the beginning, actually), hauntingly beautiful graphics with clever level design, memorable soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, engaging stealth-based gameplay and a surprisingly robust multiplayer mode. If I was asked for anyA masterpiece. Naughty Dog made yet another masterpiece. This game is as close to perfection as ever: a deep and emotional storyline with an unforgettable ending (and the beginning, actually), hauntingly beautiful graphics with clever level design, memorable soundtrack by Gustavo Santaolalla, engaging stealth-based gameplay and a surprisingly robust multiplayer mode. If I was asked for any minuses, I'd only mention the fact that your AI buddies sometimes act weird, running around the level, sometimes even bumping into enemies who can't spot them. But that's only a minor fault that in no way compromises the game's overall quality. My verdict is simple: if you own a PS3, buy it. If you don't, seriously consider doing so, you're missing out something truly marvellous. Expand
  45. Jul 14, 2013
    Yeah this game may not have the perfect and the funniest gameplay but it has a lot of challenge and you need a lot of strategy to beat this game. Some times it may be frustrating and your AI partners may be a pain in the ass for you but this game does everything it promises, a perfect crafted storyline, some good rpg elements and interesting weapons in a world of tension between infected,Yeah this game may not have the perfect and the funniest gameplay but it has a lot of challenge and you need a lot of strategy to beat this game. Some times it may be frustrating and your AI partners may be a pain in the ass for you but this game does everything it promises, a perfect crafted storyline, some good rpg elements and interesting weapons in a world of tension between infected, the military and the fireflies.
    From the beginning to the end i got glued to the story because it was so interesting. It may not deliver so many action that Uncharted delivered but it delivers a even better story, rich environments and strong enemies that won't be forgotten in some time. If you played this game from the beginning to the end you'll find some bugs and minor errors in combat but you will ignore that all because you will also find one of the best stories of this generation and one of the best post-apocalyptic game ever. You won't regret it, if you have a PS3 you need to get this game, because there ain't much games that reach this high in terms of storytelling in this platform.
    This is a must have for everyone that likes zombies, strategy and amazing and emotional stories.
    One more thing. If you played the other Naughty Dogs games and you already know that this studio never let you down just get this game and watch for yourself.

This is one of the best games i played and i won't forget it and i still need to play it to get all the stuff and don't forget the multiplayer that also is good.
  46. Nov 24, 2013
    The last of us is a solid title
    with an excelent and deep plot
    an uncredible athmosphere and a perfect gameplay
    its a mix of the walking dead,uncharted and the road
    AND ITS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
  47. Rem
    Jul 10, 2013
    The Last Of Us is not only one of the greatest Playstation 3 exclusives, but one of the greatest games of the year. As Naughty Dog continues their heritage for outstanding graphics and audio, they set a new benchmark with their new setting. However with this new setting comes a drawback: it feels too familiar. This may be its greatest weakness as even though the virus that sets this all upThe Last Of Us is not only one of the greatest Playstation 3 exclusives, but one of the greatest games of the year. As Naughty Dog continues their heritage for outstanding graphics and audio, they set a new benchmark with their new setting. However with this new setting comes a drawback: it feels too familiar. This may be its greatest weakness as even though the virus that sets this all up is intriguing it doesn't strike the same feeling as when you are not in Kansas. Also another drawback would be the sense of immersion. Majority of the time it's amazing, but NPCs not being detected even in the open, and they do stupid things at time. The gameplay is similar to the Uncharted series, but has improved. What The Last Of Us lacks in setpieces from Nathan Drake more than makes up for in emotions and character development. I recommend anyone to play this game on the PS3, but watch out for the maturity of it as it explores themes that gaming has never touched before. Expand
  48. Sep 28, 2013
    Este es sin dudas mi juego favorito hasta la fecha: "The Last of Us" es arte en su más pura forma, con una campaña totalmente completa y extensa y con el modo cinematográfico que tiene Naughty Dog de contar una bella historia dramática. Pero "The Last of Us" no es solo eso: verás que no queda nada del mundo que conocemos, será todo simplemente oscuro y te la apañas para sobrevivir en unEste es sin dudas mi juego favorito hasta la fecha: "The Last of Us" es arte en su más pura forma, con una campaña totalmente completa y extensa y con el modo cinematográfico que tiene Naughty Dog de contar una bella historia dramática. Pero "The Last of Us" no es solo eso: verás que no queda nada del mundo que conocemos, será todo simplemente oscuro y te la apañas para sobrevivir en un mundo que ya no existe. Gráficos excelentes, personajes sólidos y una emocionante historia ¿Que mas pedir? Este juego tiene emociones a más no poder. Totalmente bueno y recomendable. Expand
  49. Sep 18, 2013
    Before I begin, I must say that I was extremely disappointed with the ending.

The Last of Us definitely was a great game, I actually watched Pewdiepie's playthrough so I didn't experience the game entirely. But I feel that a nine would be accurate, and if I had played through it might have been a bit lower too. Almost everything was epic; here are the drawbacks: -I didn't mind the
    Before I begin, I must say that I was extremely disappointed with the ending.

Almost everything was epic; here are the drawbacks:
    -I didn't mind the glitches that much, but they were plenty and were starting to get hefty.
    -Some gameplay was unnecessary in my tastes.
    -The ending was not to my liking.

It was still a great experience though, I recommend it whole-heartedly.
  50. Aug 27, 2014
    A great story which happens to be told in a video game format. Although the story overpowered the video game experience. Only for that it's not a 10 for me.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: Perfect story and perfect balance between the two main characters. There's no good or bad here. Only hope and the need to survive
    PRESENTATION: Naughty Dog has used the PS3 like no other developer. When we think you can't see anything better than the Uncharted series they pull this off!
    GAMEPLAY: this is where i hoped to see a bit more of the video game experience. It's not totally balanced and you don't feel comfortable because of the scarce resources. I know it's meant to be this way but a little more action wouldn't harm the game.
    ONLINE: Played it a couple of times but it's not Naughty Dog forte.
    An experience that pushes video games to a different level. Absolutely mandatory.
  51. Jul 17, 2014
    A great game and one of the best of 2013, but a tad overrated. The Last of Us hits me with it's great story and extremely well developed and memorable characters. The gameplay is fun and it keeps you alert at all times, the visuals are stunning, the atmosphere is intense, just everything about this game is amazing. If you have a PS3 buy this game, it's worth every penny.
  52. Jun 19, 2013
    I have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but noI have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but no matter what your preferred console is ANY bad review for this game is just retarded and a joke on you for wasting your time. Naughty Dog amazed me with Uncharted but TLOU is better, honestly this game is just pure epic and is better then ANY game I have played in the last 10 years. Some people on here say Bioshock was better, I was a massive fan of Bioshock 1 but I actually sold Bioshock Infinite without even getting half way through the game. Anyway if you still reading reviews on this (I know I'm a bit late to write a review but I've been playing the game) just go out and buy it! I rate MGS incredibly high in my best games ever list and TLOU I actually prefer over MGS4. Don't know what else to say but a massive thank you to the whole team at Naughty Dog, I will be playing this game for years to come and buying old consoles in 10 years time to play it again. Masterpiece and its up there with the best games of all time for me. Brilliant Game!! Expand
  53. Nov 21, 2013
    This is the most unique game I have played. It plays like uncharted but in a survival setting. Arguably Naughty Dogs best work yet. The story is superb, the graphics are superb, the gameplay is superb. Everything about the game has been perfectly crafted. The multiplayer is pretty addictive, and is different than other multiplayer games. Game of the Year material.
  54. Aug 2, 2013
    Perfect games are rare, yet in a FPS dominated market, we need them more than ever. I was worried about the last of us just being yet another Zombie shooter when it was first announced, yet when i did buy this game, i found out it was the grittiest, cleverest, most emotional game i have ever played, a new take on a zombie apocolypse, the last of us deserves every point of a 10/10.
  55. Apr 8, 2014
    Un videojuego fascinte y adicitivo que te atrapara en el primer minuto, una narracion extraordinaria, graficos apabullantes, personajes increibles y carismaticos, todo eso junto con una duracion de unas 12 o 17 horas por lo menos. Es maravilloso como este juego al jugarlo sientas que de verdad estas en un escenario apocaliptico. Sin duda y siendo sincero fue el mejor juego del 2013.
  56. Feb 22, 2014
    I think that The last of us is the most brilliant, intelligent, amazing, mature and emotional adventure of the ps360 generation. The better goodbye to PS3.
  57. Sep 18, 2013
    When I say 8, I mean an 8.8/10. While I don't think this game is the most epic PS3 exclusive out there, it is am amazing game. It has great graphics, great gameplay, great story, the list goes on. While the game honestly didn't do anything new, it just does it so well. And on top of already a great game, they actually bothered to add multiplayer! As you can tell from my short sentences IWhen I say 8, I mean an 8.8/10. While I don't think this game is the most epic PS3 exclusive out there, it is am amazing game. It has great graphics, great gameplay, great story, the list goes on. While the game honestly didn't do anything new, it just does it so well. And on top of already a great game, they actually bothered to add multiplayer! As you can tell from my short sentences I love this game, then why didn't it get a 9 or 10? It's because after a while of the theme and nothing that new or innovative, it gets boring at about the half way mark. But despite that one flaw, it is a great game! Expand
  58. Mar 26, 2014
    Perfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on thatPerfection doesn't exist. The Last Of Us on PS3 shouldn't exist either. What sorcery is this? How is the PS3 able to have this jewel in its crown? Naughty Dog used dark magic on the PS1 to create the Crash Bandicoot games, and again on the PS3 to create Uncharted 2, but this game... it's the equivalent of Nintendo's Super Mario Galaxy 2 on the Wii, a game that shouldn't exist on that system, but it does. Expand
  59. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last Of Us is officially the best game I have ever played. The story is outstanding and brilliant the moment the game starts it hooks you in with the magnificent story. Naughty dog has done an absolute outstanding job with this game and it shows through out the game. The graphics is brilliant and stunning in beauty. The Game play is brilliant the best game play i have ever seen in aThe Last Of Us is officially the best game I have ever played. The story is outstanding and brilliant the moment the game starts it hooks you in with the magnificent story. Naughty dog has done an absolute outstanding job with this game and it shows through out the game. The graphics is brilliant and stunning in beauty. The Game play is brilliant the best game play i have ever seen in a game and the controls is extremely smooth and easy to learn. If you have played all 3 uncharted games and thought they were good wait until you play the last of us you will not be disappointed.The last of us is the game to beat for game the year. If you loved uncharted I recommend strongly you play the last of us it will leave you hooked and glued to your TV screen for hours upon hours. I f you have an Xbox 360 trade it in get a PS3 and play this game no Xbox game will ever be as good as the last of us. If naughty dog created such and amazing game that even the critics have given it top scores I cannot wait to see what naughty dog has in store for us in the future. Expand
  60. Jan 19, 2014
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. This is one of the greatest games I've ever played on my life, the story is great, the voice acting is some of the best, if not the best ever, the gameplay is dynamic, and different than most games, and the zombies are different than any other type of other zombies, the ending isn't a clichéd ending that a Hollywood blockbusters have, and the multiplayer is actually a lot of fun.
    This is a perfect game.
  61. Jun 15, 2013
    One of the best games this gen. I'm not overhyping it to get people to buy it. Nope. This is a genuine review. The Last of Us is a masterpiece, in ever way. From story to gameplay to graphics (which might not seem that impressive to some after the next gen reveals at E3) to voice acting, etc. The game is simply perfect. Get it as soon as possible.
  62. Mar 5, 2014
    Finished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more thanFinished the game a few months ago and let it simmer for a bit. Before I dig in, I will let you know I am a 41 year old guy that has been a hardcore gamer for most of my life. I have played and enjoyed everything from your Marios, Demon's Souls and Civilizations to your Forzas, Maddens, and Call of Duties. If you can dig that, then dig this- this is a game that does nothing more than take all of this console generation's staple mechanics, systems, and story developing elements and put them together in a highly polished, fantastic looking game. 3 to 5 years ago I would've given this a 9.5. But in 2014 it is completely generic in almost every respect. It does have some emotional depth to it, but nothing you haven't seen in 1,500 better movies. There was a point in the first few hours I thought I was going to have to quit out of sheer boredom. And when it did pick up, all the "no, man, it's not Uncharted... the gameplay is better and the story is PHENOMENAL! It's not just a long cutscene. You'll see, man. Trust me." statements I kept hearing never panned out. The boredom never really went away... the story never really panned out like I was expecting. The AI was terrible. I tried to immerse myself, but then I'd witness Ellie running in place into a clicker who would then come after me for not sneaking slow enough 30 feet away. Even though it is their best, I believe Naughty Dog has already gotten too many free passes. And the gaming crowd has disappointed me with what we'll give 10s to and with the acceptance of faults that should be fixed by now. All that said, It is a pretty good game. It would've been great 5 years ago, but not in 2014. My real rating is 7.5, but I round up. Expand
  63. Jun 22, 2013
    ok lets get something straight that most gamers don't get. yes this game is WAY overhyped. This was one reason why i was reluctant to play it. the shooting is wonky, ai ranges from stupid to smart, some enemies seem unfair( those stupid bloaters), but this game is still a great game and is one of my favorites. the story is well told and emotional all the way through, the characters areok lets get something straight that most gamers don't get. yes this game is WAY overhyped. This was one reason why i was reluctant to play it. the shooting is wonky, ai ranges from stupid to smart, some enemies seem unfair( those stupid bloaters), but this game is still a great game and is one of my favorites. the story is well told and emotional all the way through, the characters are expertly voiced and likeable. Ellie is really the star of this game. she is a great, smart character and also a total badass who isnt afraid to do what it takes to survive. her protector joel who is the main player character, is a rugged badass who is tasked with escorting ellie to the fireflies. the journey is worth experiencing so many twist and turns occur which help develop joel and ellie as characters. they joke, talk, and protect each other all the way through and as joel and ellie get to know one another their relationship changes from total strangers to a father daughter relationship. kudos to naughtydog for crafting such a wonderful experience. it sure is overhyped and i dont think it should get goty (watchdogs or gta v FTW!) but it needs to be experienced by anyone who has a ps3 and likes to experience a well told story with likeable characters. joel and ellie's apocalyptic survivor story is worth the price of admission. Expand
  64. Aug 8, 2013
    I think of The Last of Us and I think of perfection. I think of a game that is just brilliant and will be looked upon by the future generations to come. The story is brilliant. The gameplay is fun, smooth, and fluid. The graphics are gorgeous. The sound is superb. As for the game…it truly is a masterpiece.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/
  65. Jun 15, 2013
    Pros: Excellent graphics for the nearly eight year old PS3 with consistently smooth frame rates and animations. The level design is not very complex, but the attention to detail is astounding. I never felt like I was visiting the same place twice. Areas are also designed in such a way that multiple paths or styles of play are possible for completing them. Great story, believable andPros: Excellent graphics for the nearly eight year old PS3 with consistently smooth frame rates and animations. The level design is not very complex, but the attention to detail is astounding. I never felt like I was visiting the same place twice. Areas are also designed in such a way that multiple paths or styles of play are possible for completing them. Great story, believable and memorable characters. Superb voice acting. The crafting system is not revolutionary but, because multiple items require the same materials, forces you to make tough decisions regarding what you think you will need and what kind of play style you're going for. For example, molotovs and med packs use the same supplies, so you're forced to balance increased offense with survival. Also, because crafting takes place in real time and because you can only carry a limited amount of equipment, you can't simply pause the game to craft a bomb and then throw it at your foes. Combat and stealth are really tense and every shot counts. You absolutely cannot run and gun this game.

Cons: Sometimes you have to figure out how to traverse certain areas in the game, a bit of light puzzle solving. But all of this boils down to searching an area for a ladder or plank and becomes pretty transparent after the first few times. Character movements and animations can sometimes get a bit clippy. When in melee combat a number of times, attacks would not connect when enemy NPCs were in certain animations. Additionally, my melee attacks also pushed NPCs into terrain or objects making me unable to hit them, but they were still able to attack me. I was forced to back up a bit and leave myself open to other attacks just so the NPC I was attacking would get itself unstuck. The stealth segments are great, but tend to break the immersion when you have Ellie or other friendly NPCs following you. Certain zombies in the game use sonar and are attracted to loud noises. You have to crouch and move very carefully, but the NPCs following you will often sprint short distances when these zombies are only a few yards away and no enemies are alerted. When sneaking around human NPCs, those following you will sometimes expose themselves trying to keep up with you but again not get detected by the enemy NPCs. I admit the game would be unnecessarily difficult if goofy AI quirks broke your stealth, but once you figure this out, stealth segments are far less challenging than they first appear.

The multiplayer at first glance appears tacked on, but the real time crafting is a major component of the gameplay. Sneaking around with your team, scavenging materials, and crafting equipment to use against your enemies is ridiculously rewarding. The multiplayer levels are well designed, too.

Even though I've never been a fan of the Uncharted games, I find The Last of Us way more enjoyable. The characters are more believable, the story is more engaging, and while the gameplay in some ways has less to offer, the real time crafting, tension, and pace of combat are way more impactful than what Uncharted offered.
  66. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey,"The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey, as these two characters fight & struggle to survive this impossible, terrifying world, and will build, over time, a stronger bond together because of it. You have NEVER experienced anything like this before. Trust me. If you have a PlayStation 3 The Last of Us must NOT be missed. Hell, if you don't have a PS3 already BUY a PS3 just for this game. That's money you won't regret spending, and THAT is a guarantee. Expand
  67. Jun 17, 2013
    Just writing to say that I don't understand why Metacritic insists on including reviews from Quarter to Three. There's different opinions... and then there's issuing a low score just to garner page views. Tom Chick definitely falls into the latter.
  68. Sep 28, 2013
    Wow, I don't even know what to say. I just finished playing and I'm speechless. I am really reluctant to give any game a 10 but this will be the first. This game is the total package. The game does not break immersion. For me total immersion consists of 4 absolutes. Graphics, story, gameplay and sound. For a last of a generation masterpiece this game has the best PS3 graphics bar none. TheWow, I don't even know what to say. I just finished playing and I'm speechless. I am really reluctant to give any game a 10 but this will be the first. This game is the total package. The game does not break immersion. For me total immersion consists of 4 absolutes. Graphics, story, gameplay and sound. For a last of a generation masterpiece this game has the best PS3 graphics bar none. The story has gut wrenching edge of your seat feel. The gameplay mechanics is way above average for a third person action game. And sound is outstanding from the voice over to the pop of your weapons. Do not move on the PS4 without play this game first. Expand
  69. Jun 17, 2013
    you know when sometimes a game gets so many positive reviews and hype you then expect it to be so high but then it disappoints when it finally arrives because of your expectations well the last of us is well above expectations it exceeds greatly.
  70. Feb 15, 2014
    This is the best game I have played in the last gen of games, it was creepy and scary at times and it looked fantastic, naughty dog really out did themselves in this game, hope there next game/franchise if even better. If that is at all possible.
  71. Jun 30, 2014
    I loved this game. I was gripped from start to finish like I never have been with any other game. Everything about it was great but most of all the story. Ellie and Joel are such great characters (probably my favourite in game history) and the story is as good as any book or film. The control scheme was pretty much perfect (the cover system worked very well as did the melee controls) and II loved this game. I was gripped from start to finish like I never have been with any other game. Everything about it was great but most of all the story. Ellie and Joel are such great characters (probably my favourite in game history) and the story is as good as any book or film. The control scheme was pretty much perfect (the cover system worked very well as did the melee controls) and I loved being able to customise your melee weapons and the incentives to collect things such as being able to upgrade your guns. Oh and the graphics were stunning, hands down the best I've seen on the PS3 and that's no easy feat, there's some great looking games on the console. Sure it's very linear but there's still just enough exploration and it makes a nice change not to have an open-world game with a million choices at every turn. I'll never forget this game, to me it's truly a masterpiece. Expand
  72. Dec 4, 2014
    Excelente Juego. Proximamente puntaje para la versión Remastered. Animación única, al nivel de los grandes, excelente apartado gráfico, originalidad y jugabilidad. GOTY 2013.
  73. Jun 16, 2013
    Excellent and good game, but I expect more of this and the reason that the ads suggest you do so!
    We hope to be next to be much better by adil khojah from saudi arabiya
  74. Aug 4, 2013
    It's the cohesiveness that astonishes The best script and cut scenes in computer games meets extremely polished gameplay and stunning set pieces all held together with pitch perfect pacing to create something that looks like an amazing movie yet still feels like a amazing game.
    Computer games aren't meant to be swimming around your head days after you complete them but this one did. Computer games shouldn't leve you open mouthed in awe but this one did. Computer games aren't meant to make you cry but this one did. Enough said.
  75. Jun 23, 2013
    After playing games on every system since Atari, this will go down as my favorite game of all time. This isn't a mindless action packed shoot em' up game. It plays more like Metal Gear Solid Splinter Cell, where you're forced to stealth around to take out your enemies individually rather then go guns blazing. If you don't strategize your approach, you'll surely die. The ammo and weaponsAfter playing games on every system since Atari, this will go down as my favorite game of all time. This isn't a mindless action packed shoot em' up game. It plays more like Metal Gear Solid Splinter Cell, where you're forced to stealth around to take out your enemies individually rather then go guns blazing. If you don't strategize your approach, you'll surely die. The ammo and weapons you have are limited, so you have to play smart. I only played on normal, and I plan to replay it on survival mode where the supplies are even further limited.

This game is also scary. It kind of brings me back to what Resident Evil used to be. All about survival, and being scared to explore new rooms. The zombies are referred to as infected, and they're not your traditional zombies (dead coming back to life and you have to kill the brain). They are more like zombies from 28 Days Later. Just regular humans who get a disease and turn crazy in a matter of minutes. Also, the infected have different phases (based on how long they've been infected), which allows for a variety in characteristics and different means of dispatching. Nothing worse than getting the attention of one infected who wakes up all their nearby friends. You can go from focused to panic in a matter of seconds.

The game play and feel of the game is a good blend between MGS and Resident Evil (both in my top 10), which I already stated. But what really puts this game over the top for me are two things: the lack of repetition in the fight sequences and the best story telling ever made in a video game. First, I say lack of repetition because every fight scene feels unique. Your environment plays a huge part on how you kill enemies, and there's not a single piece of landscape, building, or road that is reused. Also, you have so many different means of killing enemies using firearms, bow and arrows, smoke grenades, make-shift bombs, molotov knives, blunt objects, choke holds or hand-to-hand combat. Second, the best story telling every! I've never felt so invested in two video game characters than Joel and Ellie. The actors they casted for the voices did an amazing job. Also the dialogue between all the characters felt so genuine. Most of the story telling were done with cut scenes, but how they depicted the movement, gestures and facial expressions of these characters, on top of the incredible voice acting, made everything feel real. Sometimes I forgot I was playing a video game.

Best game ever. I can't wait to play it again!
  76. Aug 8, 2013
    Overall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the meleeOverall an excellent game. Everything is good. The story, the pacing, the set peices, the characters, the voce acting, the audio, the graphics, the combat system. Particularly good is the AI and combat system, which keeps the enemy challenging throughout the game. Having said that, there a a couple of really annoying bits that break the immersion. The first is melee weapons. All the melee weapons have limited uses. Does an iron pipe rally fall apart the 6th time you hit a zombie with it? The second is ammo. All your human enemies that are armed with ranged weapons will fire ammo like its going out of fashion. You will struggle to find every bullet. If you defeat a human enemy who has being firing continuously at you, you may find 2 or 3 bullets as loot IF you're lucky. So how come everyone has buckets of ammo except you? And where does it vanish to when they die? Finally if you find the M16 assault rifle dont bother with it as its ludicrously undepowered compared to every other gun. Those are small points, but compared to, say skyrim, where NPCs carry the loot they carry into battle the one sided ammo bias does break the immersion. Expand
  77. Aug 14, 2013
    The last of us has the most spectacular single player campaign on the ps3 console, no if, buts or maybes.
    The detail and Obvious effort put into the last of us raises the bar for competing console games, and my standards as a gamer.
    The last of us really show's what these 5 year old consoles are still capable of. I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply
    I won't give much detail on the game itself, so no spoilers, I'll simply state that it's amazing, and worth your time.
    Multiplayer In the last of us is done very well, the only real down fall is the community it's self, partially due to the way kills work, people will constantly take your kills, hang behind you so you weaken the enemy and then pounce once you've left the rooms safer, this can be very frustrating at times, there are also only two modes, but they are very good modes.
    This is a game that cannot be missed, even if you rarely buy a game, let the last of us be that game!.
  78. Dec 10, 2013
    Naughty Dog has made a masterpiece. The best game PS3 has delivered in the entire sventh generation, and one that will be remembered for years to come. It is truly that good. And I know some jealous people will describe this game as overrated without even playing it, as the same thing happened last year with Halo 4. Shh, don't listen to them! The Last of Us is not flawless but is prettyNaughty Dog has made a masterpiece. The best game PS3 has delivered in the entire sventh generation, and one that will be remembered for years to come. It is truly that good. And I know some jealous people will describe this game as overrated without even playing it, as the same thing happened last year with Halo 4. Shh, don't listen to them! The Last of Us is not flawless but is pretty damn close, and that is enough to give it everlasting praise.
    The story, OMG! If you have a heart, and human feelings, and most importantly two eyes, two ears and a functioning brain, then you will love the story in this game. I never felt so many things, and I'm not talking only about TWD emotional post-depression, although there is definitely a hint of that. I am talking about anger, desperation, happiness and fear...and the worst fear of all. The fear of losing your loved ones. The voice acting is top-notch, and the graphics. They truly push the PS3 to the limit. They are insane.
    The gameplay is fitting, and really pairs with the pace of the game. It is intense, gritty and insanely violent. Stealth is king (Something we are not used to from the "Uncharted" games) as it is also being tactical, preservative and crafty. If you play in normal (Like me) you will find some challenge, though not overwhelming. It is at moments fun, at moments scary. It is just a good-old fashioned survival horror stealthy gameplay, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.
    Surprise! This game comes with an Online component which is, surprisingly good actually. It has the same gameplay mechanics from the campaign and the maps are thoughtfully designed. Of course it is not The Last of Us' main focus, but I am still playing it a lot, you know, after three entire playthroughs of the mind-blowing, excellent, five-star, supercalifragilisticexpialidocious campaign. Gotta love Ellie and her awful jokes!
    In the end, BUY THIS GAME! Do not own a PS3? Bro, I feel for you, because this game is one of the best games ever made, period. I am truly enthusiastic about this. There is just nothing else like it in the world.
  79. Feb 3, 2014
    Basically Uncharted with zombies!
    This game is very linear and brings nothing new to any gameplay mechanic that has been used in any third person action game. The story is spectacular yes, but I don't buy video games to watch a movie! What matters to me is gameplay, and this is the same gripe I have with uncharted: the gameplay is simply lacking
  80. Jul 25, 2013
    There is just no words to describe how awesome TLOU is, I mean the graphics are breathtaking and the story is very original and the characters have to be one of the most memorable out there, the sound effects are brilliant. TLOU is easily the best game i've played this year so far, but I'll have to play GTA V as well to see if it's as good as TLOU or better. Im going to go a bit higherThere is just no words to describe how awesome TLOU is, I mean the graphics are breathtaking and the story is very original and the characters have to be one of the most memorable out there, the sound effects are brilliant. TLOU is easily the best game i've played this year so far, but I'll have to play GTA V as well to see if it's as good as TLOU or better. Im going to go a bit higher than it says. I give TLOU 9.5/10 Collapse
  81. Jul 24, 2013
    I'm gonna go ahead and say it... Along with Skyrim and GTA 4, these 3 games are the best in the last 5 years. The Last of Us the best of the 3. I would say this is in my top 10 favorite games of all time. From a dramatic story to exceptional game play you will be amazed. The graphics however are the best part of this legendary game. A must play for all with a PS3
  82. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Pros:The technology,graphics/physics is like a half PS4 game,Pro logic 2 support!.Story,Joel..
    Cons:The ending is a cliffhanger and there will be a trilogy again...i never gonna understand why need to make every game a trilogy!? This is a true masterpice and masterpice games do not need idiot sequels.
    im dissapointed in Naughty Dog because they said this: No sequel planned for The Last of Us
  83. Jun 18, 2013
    It's been a long time since a game has affected me the way this one has. This is a true masterpiece and should be played by everyone. Everything the two characters (Joel and Ellie) go through, every decision they make, are very real and gives off a sense of atmosphere. We watch as these two grow closer and form a bond with each other to the point where Joel would give up everything forIt's been a long time since a game has affected me the way this one has. This is a true masterpiece and should be played by everyone. Everything the two characters (Joel and Ellie) go through, every decision they make, are very real and gives off a sense of atmosphere. We watch as these two grow closer and form a bond with each other to the point where Joel would give up everything for her. The whole game is simply put, a mindblowing experience. The only games that top this is my personal all time favorite series Metal Gear Solid, but that being said this is a close second. I don't know HOW Naughty Dog managed to top Uncharted 2 but they did it!! THEY DID IT!! :D Expand
  84. Jul 5, 2013
    This is a 10/10. Very well done in all aspects. Well except for few glitches like when directing light to a person it doesn't draw a shadow :).
    Nice story, not a brand new one though. Similar to I'm a legend. Except there are many survivors who divided into groups and fighting each others for resources and surviving.
    The story elements are well connected. Ellie definitely sweet companion
    The story elements are well connected. Ellie definitely sweet companion during this journey.
    From gameplay point of view. I loved it. I got a full screen with almost no HUD elements (not needed really). HUD elements only appears when required like when get shot, hit or healing.
    Upgrade system is cool. And I also loved the side stories found in collectable notes.
    Graphics are awesome. the world look fantastic and well designed.
    This is 10/10
  85. Sep 2, 2013
    Graphics are spectacular, so yes you heard that millions of the times for this title, now on to the rest.

I'm not a single player person at all, I actually despise it now since I've been spoiled with online coop etc, but I will say this is well worth your $60 just for the single player experience alone. Does the multiplayer hold it as well? Hell yes! It's very fun once you learn

Does the multiplayer hold it as well? Hell yes! It's very fun once you learn tactics and learn what you are doing as well!
    Definitely deserves the 10!
  86. Sep 22, 2013
    This is basically PS3's last hoorah before the PS4 comes out and they sure didn't disappoint. This game excels in almost every way. The graphics are beautiful, the voice acting is well done, and the gameplay is excellent. I didn't think it was possible to actually care about video game characters until this. Be prepared to get lost in the story; all of the highs and the lows, theThis is basically PS3's last hoorah before the PS4 comes out and they sure didn't disappoint. This game excels in almost every way. The graphics are beautiful, the voice acting is well done, and the gameplay is excellent. I didn't think it was possible to actually care about video game characters until this. Be prepared to get lost in the story; all of the highs and the lows, the never-ending tension of what or who might be around the next corner, and the paralyzing fear of trying to sneak past a group of clickers.

My only critiques would be that I found myself occasionally going the correct way when I meant to be exploring and would accidentally move into the next map and not be able to go back and explore further. Also, I found the final part of the game to be so difficult and frustrating that it basically disconnected me from the story and reminded me that it was all just a game. A bit of a letdown for how much real emotion I had invested in these characters. Still, this is a must play!
  87. Jun 14, 2013
    The story was soooooo good it got me off my seat. The visuals and details are spot on I could spend hours looking around. The voice acting was awesome. This is one of my contenders for game of the year by far. Good job naughty dog another masterpiece
  88. dz9
    Jun 24, 2013
    To start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice actingTo start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice acting and motion capturing combined with the atmosphere make this game a visual delicacy. The gameplay is a simple and familiar one (I can understand the people that can not bare this game because of the familiar stealth), effective and tense in parts, but hair-pulling and repetitive in others. You pretty much have to play stealth for the majority of your time playing TLoU, fighting your way past zombie-inspired monsters and your fellow human survivors. The stealth is very simple but overall effective, however when the game gives you the objective to clear all enemies in a given area, it makes the game feel too "video game-y" and breaks the immersion it tries so desperately to set up. Also breaking the immersion is the awful Ai. For your allies, too often do they get in your way or frantically and aimlessly running in plain sight of the enemy without even somehow being spotted. For your enemies, the lack of variety of the zombies make getting through them extremely repetitious and the AI for the human foes range from Super Sight, eyes in the back of their head, and unbelievable stupidity. The human AI is never consistent and too often will your carefully thought out stealth streak be interrupted by the unbearable AI. The crafting system is a great thought and raises the tense moments of combat even more due to the live action inventory mechanic, only gripe regarding it is the fact is that I never felt constricted to craft items which I should feel in an apocalyptic horror game, because although the ammo felt balanced right, the supplies to make molotovs, nailbombs, and health packs came all too in abundance. The story although not outstanding, is workable, it gets you from point A to point B effectively while coming up with a few cool ideas along the way. The best part of the story is the interactions between the characters you'll meet, seeing them evolve as characters and grow before the player's eyes is a narrative treat.
    In the End: The Last of Us sports a decent story, a great and believable cast of characters, outstanding visuals, but lacks depth and consistency in the gameplay especially with in the AI department.
    The Last of Us 7.8/10
  89. Jun 19, 2013
    A superb game from start to finish. Gripping throughout. I'm not sure where the story was taking me at times but I was more than happy with the result. You care about characters, Joel and Ellie in particular. Through every cutscene you feel the characters and how realistically they are portrayed. They breathe, they have scars, wrinkles, glossy eyes, physical features that are lifelike. TheA superb game from start to finish. Gripping throughout. I'm not sure where the story was taking me at times but I was more than happy with the result. You care about characters, Joel and Ellie in particular. Through every cutscene you feel the characters and how realistically they are portrayed. They breathe, they have scars, wrinkles, glossy eyes, physical features that are lifelike. The Last of Us shines in being the most realistic fictional game I have ever played. The fungi/cordyceps concept of zombifiying people is intriguing enough. There aren't enough good things to say about this game. The gameplay is stupendous, and while it takes time getting adjusted to, it feels fluent and right when you do. There's enough variety in crafting weapons and upgrading them to spice the game up when pacing gets tough. That's one of my only problem are pacing issues, but the game is so damn good and the story is so great that you trudge through the slower spots. Often times the difficulty has unreasonable spikes, but all is forgiven, when you pass a more difficult section, the payoff and reward is well worth it. The single player itself is incredible alone and worth a buy, but the multiplayer works excellently too. You have two characters that just grow so much and it's incredible to watch their journey and participate with them in a dark, realistic, beautiful disaster of a world that feels very real. Expand
  90. Oct 4, 2014
    This game is perfect. I love how it's not your average zombie game it's a lot more genius with the fungal infection. The story had me hooked since the opening, this is a game where you grow attached to the characters in a heart beat. The graphics are Amazing and the game design for every were beautifully made. This game makes you under stand how it feels to struggle with surviving. TheThis game is perfect. I love how it's not your average zombie game it's a lot more genius with the fungal infection. The story had me hooked since the opening, this is a game where you grow attached to the characters in a heart beat. The graphics are Amazing and the game design for every were beautifully made. This game makes you under stand how it feels to struggle with surviving. The controls are smooth and the only glitch I found was when Ellie turned invisible after the truck crashed and you only see her floating backpack that was funny to see. The fun part for me was the Easter eggs. Expand
  91. Jun 20, 2013
    If the Last of Us has shown us anything it's that a linear 3rd person action-stealth game with no truly original gameplay mechanics can deliver one of the finest, most intense gaming experiences ever created. The gameplay is not revolutionary, 3rd person stealth mixed up a bit with a see through walls mechanic is definitely not new but there is a huge level of polish with the system. ThisIf the Last of Us has shown us anything it's that a linear 3rd person action-stealth game with no truly original gameplay mechanics can deliver one of the finest, most intense gaming experiences ever created. The gameplay is not revolutionary, 3rd person stealth mixed up a bit with a see through walls mechanic is definitely not new but there is a huge level of polish with the system. This is one of my favourite cover systems in a game, you crouch and in true video game fashion all walls are a convenient height for you to hide behind but transitioning in and out of cover is seemleess because there is not transition. you are not locked to cover and are free to move anywhere. Another thing that shines is how real bullets feel, when shot you will not only flinch, you will fall backward like you are actually hurt and there is no regenerating health and health kits are not instant either, you take time to apply them which when not considered can be fatal. Crafting is awesome because you are never pulled out of the game. Story and atmosphere are what trulky bring the game together though. This is not a happy story about saving the world from the apocalypse, its a personal journey about the relationship between Joel and Ellie and how they care for each other, the emotion between them and how they're companionship grows. Ellie is a great companion to have not just because of her usefulness in tricky spots, but because she is so human. She asks questions about what life was like before and watching her change throughout the story is brilliant. The journey with these 2 characters takes place in a world with some of the best graphics in gaming history with such intricate attention to detail. Everything in the worls is placed there for a reason with notes scattered that you take the time to read because they look human. This helps create one of the best and most immersive atmosphere's in a game. Lets not forget of course about the infected, the whole reason the world is like this at all. The game is mostly balanced between fighting human and infected but you fight humans a little more often so its surprising that most of your deaths will come from the infected. Hearing the sound of the clickers, infected that are blind but have sensitive hearing creates for some very tense gameplay as you try to sneak past. This game is riddled with these tense moments. It is taking some highly polished gameplay and wrapping it in a beautiful immersive world that revolves around Joel and Ellie. Most people that say the game is boring have only played the first couple of hours and if they have finished it they just don't understand what the game is doing. You must play this game alone, with no distractions like chatrooms and play in long sittings and just let the game fill you up. One of the best games I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing. Expand
  92. Nov 28, 2014
    This game is a work of art. The characters and story give Chrono Trigger a run for its money, and if you've played Chrono Trigger, then you know what that means. . The gameplay and multiplayer aren't groundbreaking, but still fun and addictive. Back to the story, this is the only game that has ever brought me so close to tears. And it accomplished this by the end of the freakingThis game is a work of art. The characters and story give Chrono Trigger a run for its money, and if you've played Chrono Trigger, then you know what that means. . The gameplay and multiplayer aren't groundbreaking, but still fun and addictive. Back to the story, this is the only game that has ever brought me so close to tears. And it accomplished this by the end of the freaking intro. Yeah, it's that brutal. This is in my top 3 favorite games ever, and it is absolutely a 10/10. I wish I could go higher. Expand
  93. Aug 4, 2013
    Superb work of art. You rarely come across a game with such marvellous storytelling. The gameplay is really fun and challenging and the presentation of the game is the best I've seen to date.
    This game is a must-have to every gamer.
  94. Aug 19, 2013
    Bitter sweet. Fantastic game and the plot accurately depicts how a situation such as this would conclude. Hey besides the phenomenal story there's a FPS mode online. That's pretty fun. Reminds me of Gears of War. Overall not the best game in the world, but it was up there. 9.5/10
  95. Apr 29, 2014
    Story: 9.7 out of 10 Graphics: 10 out of 10 Gameplay: 9 out of 10 Fun: 9.5 out of 10 Controls: 10 out of 10 Ease to Learn: 9.5 out of 10
    Multiplayer: 8 out of 10
    Length: 8.5 out of 10
    Re-play: 9 out of 10
    Audio: 10 out of 10
    Bugs/Glitches: barely any
  96. Aug 9, 2013
    Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics:Abandon hope all ye who shall enter here!! That's certainly the theme here and as I'm concerned,its a good thing! The Last Of Us is made by the very talented team known as Naughty Dog and if your familiar with the uncharted series,you would only expect the best when it came storytelling and they DO NOT disappoint! So lets start off with the good points of this game shall we! Graphics: Incredible!! Naughty Dog pushes the ps3 to its limits,even out doing uncharted 3 with detailed area's beautiful water and smoke effects,fires,ruined buildings etc!! Sound: its average at best until you reach the clickers,their odd sounds will surely be unsettling when you enter dark rooms or new area's. Game mechanics: average at best,controls are tight and responsive and the duck and cover mechanic is very similar to the uncharted series right down to the hand to hand combat but certain weapons like bats, 2 x 4's and shiv's make the fighting a tad more interesting. Story: again its a average at best as its your standard run of the mill zombie apocalypse story where your character must fight to survive who then,meets someone who's immune to the virus and must now create cure to save humanity....the last of us almost never treads new ground as many games and movie's has all too often shown us the dangers of a zombie apocalypse,so why is the last of us worth playing if my review sounds kinda negative save for the graphics? Easy, Joel and ellie!! Although they follow your typical, guy who lost his daughter and refuses to love another child/ ellie,who's your spunky yet average stereotype foul mouth lovable teen, I found it hard NOT to like them as they struggled to form a working relationship. This is where naughty dog took an average,by the numbers story and somehow turn it into a masterpiece! Now the bad points: Enemies: 100% of the time the enemies WILL NOT ATTACK whoever your with if they don't see you first!! It sucks the "survival" aspect and belief right out of game and the player along with it for that matter which ruins the experience. Shiv's can only be used once(or three times if you have three) which i find odd,if you kill a clicker with a shiv( best option people) it magically disappears even when using it too unlock special doors filled with precious resources,but i guess they didn't want players spamming it.Ammo: while its not ABUNDANT its more than enough to get by on since joel has many weapons to use to dispatch his would be dispatchers like the bow,shotgun,sniper rifle,sawed off shotgun and about three hand guns,couple that with the (preferred)option of stealth kills and your basically a god until you play with ellie who gets far less ammo and weapons. Other than those complaints,this average game goes far beyond the limits of other zombies apocalypse games and delivers something truly special. Pick this game up and add it to the list of impressive games that's exclusive to the ps3's library,you won't regret it! 9 out of 10 Expand
  97. Jun 15, 2013
    Amazing game, great levels and story events, but it don't deserve a score that high. It's a stealth/action third person game like many others. I would compare it to Hitman: Absolution with poorer graphics and a better storyline.
  98. Jul 13, 2013
    AWESOME! This game has everything a game needs. Perfect story, good graphics, characters are perfect, What disappointed me a little bit, was the ending. It was kind of weird. But after all, perfect game. 10/10
  99. Aug 23, 2014
    This is THE most overrated I have ever played. But read on - I'm not a mindless hater. The game is good, It's just not as good as everyone is leading you to believe.
    So The Last of Us is a game from Naughty Dog, and as such - it comes with some privileges, like better understanding of PlayStation Tech and a pretty huge budget. This guarantees it won't be a bad game, and it's not. But let me tell you why it isn't the masterpiece everyone has been leading all of us to believe it is.
    Graphically, it's a pretty game. A lot of people go out of their way to tell us how beautiful it is. And sure, some scenes do look awesome, some views are indeed, as Ellie points out at least 50 times during the game, pretty good, but it isn't the best looking PS3 game, nor the best that Naughty Dog have delivered. If you disagree, go back and play Uncharted 3 again - better design, better texture quality. It is pretty obvious that this game has been toned down from the PS4 version to be released on PS3.
    The sound and voicework are pretty awesome, as most games from this dev delivered thus far. Some soundtrack choices are peculiar, but haunting and moving none the less.
    However, the writing of the game is noticeably worse than what we've come to expect from Naughty Dog. Particularly, Ellie's part is written terribly, giving the actress no actual words to work with. And the overall plot has huge issues, mainly the fact that the game is not about anything. It isn't about Joel and Ellie and their relationship, it's not about a journey, it's not even about saving human kind - it's just a game with nothing to say. It's a empty, fun vessel and nothing more. The Director missed too many of opportunities to make this experience special or noteworthy. The most interesting part of The Last of Us are the Infected, though the game isn't much about them either. / SPOILERS / And the ending is too disappointing to even be considered a proper ending. Without giving too much away, it practically makes the whole game entirely pointless. Most games end with the player saving the world, or someone special. The world - obvious choice, it makes everyone feel at least a bit happy with their experience. However, this game forces you to make the other choice and save someone special. However, the game didn't give me not one reason to really care and like neither Joel or Ellie, and even if you like them - the thing is that the game does not make you feel for Ellie as Joel feels for her, and that is where the problems lie, in my opinion. / END SPOILERS /
    Gameplay is probably the strongest point of The Last of Us, however there are a few issues with pacing here and there, along with a few really awkward decisions that lead nowhere. Even at that, both stealth sections and gunfights are intense, well-thought out and balanced - probably the best we've seen from Naughty Dog.
    And that is pretty much it. It's a weak "The Walking Dead" spinoff, that is not that great. It's not a "masterpiece" - a 100%, a 10/10 or a 5/5. A game considered a masterpiece must have meaning, better writing, and not only good looks, but good design too. To me, everyone who gives this game above an 8 is either dumb or has been paid to do so. If you don't agree on my points - go play The Walking Dead Season 1, there you can see how much better executed is a very similar plot.
    Most people have heard probably of BioShock Infinite - a game that was not so overhyped. I'm bringing it up, because it's a good example to compare The Last of Us with - about writing, about how the game is directed to make you care and about the fact that it contains meaning, it contains something that will haunt you until you die. This is something The Last of Us strives to achieve, but I believe that ultimately it's bad directing and a weak plot that bring it down from greatness.
    The Last of Us is indeed the most overrated game I have ever seen and played. However, that does not mean it's not a good game - it is. It's fun, very fun in fact, and I do recommend it, because there is something to it. It's just not the masterpiece everyone is now almost taught to say it is.
  100. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is amazing, so beautiful! the only thing I would have changed was to have the ability to choose what storylines to follow. like choosing your ending and seeing what happens after youve made the choice like 10 years in the future! But overall an amazing game! naughty dog killed!
  101. Jul 25, 2013

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]