The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Aug 9, 2014
    I felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than aI felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than a classic problem-solving approach where you are fully attended to progressing through the game. When Call of Duty shows technical excellence and standard gameplay, I call it an entertaining game. TLoU is similar in its ratio of technical excellence vs gameplay innovation. It's entertaining and a feast for the eyes. But the exciting zombie franchise is still called The Walking Dead, and the exciting Naughty Dog franchise is called Uncharted.

I leaned towards a 7/10 or even 8/10, but I stopped playing after completing the campaign. No alternative game modes (except online) to play around with. No exciting trophies to attempt. Just a few dozen inconsequential collectibles scattered throughout the campaign, and trophies for completing it several times. In a campaign where so many sections play on the strength of surprise and 'first-sight-marvel' I'd just rather play something else after seeing it once.

The ending is satisfying, but you could just read a plot summary and then watch the final hour on Youtube and get what the game wanted to tell. I liked the message (hint: love) but it wasn't necessary to trod through so many hours of slow progression to feel the impact of the story.
  2. Feb 16, 2016
    It's a great game for a single playthrough with interesting level design and enemies just don't expect much replay value. Chances that you reach the end and not get at least slightly irritated are almost none. I won't share spoilers but you will feel like all the hard work you did was for nothing. When you consider that Max Payne 3 almost had a perfect rating upon release (it's aIt's a great game for a single playthrough with interesting level design and enemies just don't expect much replay value. Chances that you reach the end and not get at least slightly irritated are almost none. I won't share spoilers but you will feel like all the hard work you did was for nothing. When you consider that Max Payne 3 almost had a perfect rating upon release (it's a god-awful game), it's no wonder this game has such an overhyped rating. Still I give it a well deserved 7/10. Expand
  3. Jun 4, 2014
    I found this game very far to be excellent, the iA is very bad, the enemies ALWAYS know where you are, they are psychics, another thing i found bad is the combat mechanics, it's very tedious to shoot enemies, the character is very weak and does not look like a hero at all. The graphics are ok, but that does not compensate the lack of liberty in the controls, some of the weapons areI found this game very far to be excellent, the iA is very bad, the enemies ALWAYS know where you are, they are psychics, another thing i found bad is the combat mechanics, it's very tedious to shoot enemies, the character is very weak and does not look like a hero at all. The graphics are ok, but that does not compensate the lack of liberty in the controls, some of the weapons are useless, like the molotov bombs, and it is very hard to find a good weapon, and that's a shame in a game that needs to have action and combat. This is NOT a survival horror game, maybe an average survival game, like I am alive. The plot is okay i think, but not excellent at all, finally i have to give this game a 6, and i am being a good person, because the game deserves less. Hope this is the only Last of us game, because is far to be a complete title. Expand
  4. Mar 29, 2016
    Played Last of Us and completed last year. Had plenty of time to reflect on the game. It's got a very interesting and exciting world where the story of the infected takes place. A great enemy and environments are really well done. The characters however are very cliche and one sided. Human villains are especially idiotic. Naughty Dog cannot write great characters. Gameplay is what youPlayed Last of Us and completed last year. Had plenty of time to reflect on the game. It's got a very interesting and exciting world where the story of the infected takes place. A great enemy and environments are really well done. The characters however are very cliche and one sided. Human villains are especially idiotic. Naughty Dog cannot write great characters. Gameplay is what you would expect for this genre. Third person, hiding behind cover, rinse and repeat. Broken stealth. It's worth a play through at least once but needed more grit, more fleshed out characters, better gameplay and more involvement of the actual virus/enemies. Especially bosses. That reminds me. The only memorable section was the school gym where you fight an armored infected. The world is really interesting which is what kept me playing so hopefully we will get a more fully realized sequel. The DLC is far better and in a way genius playing as a younger person in the world of Last of Us. They should have made that the main game. I am not a feminist but playing as Elle was more interesting than Joel. Need more female leads in major games. Expand
  5. Feb 3, 2014
    Basically Uncharted with zombies!
    This game is very linear and brings nothing new to any gameplay mechanic that has been used in any third person action game. The story is spectacular yes, but I don't buy video games to watch a movie! What matters to me is gameplay, and this is the same gripe I have with uncharted: the gameplay is simply lacking
  6. Aug 23, 2014
    This is THE most overrated I have ever played. But read on - I'm not a mindless hater. The game is good, It's just not as good as everyone is leading you to believe.
    So The Last of Us is a game from Naughty Dog, and as such - it comes with some privileges, like better understanding of PlayStation Tech and a pretty huge budget. This guarantees it won't be a bad game, and it's not. But let me tell you why it isn't the masterpiece everyone has been leading all of us to believe it is.
    Graphically, it's a pretty game. A lot of people go out of their way to tell us how beautiful it is. And sure, some scenes do look awesome, some views are indeed, as Ellie points out at least 50 times during the game, pretty good, but it isn't the best looking PS3 game, nor the best that Naughty Dog have delivered. If you disagree, go back and play Uncharted 3 again - better design, better texture quality. It is pretty obvious that this game has been toned down from the PS4 version to be released on PS3.
    The sound and voicework are pretty awesome, as most games from this dev delivered thus far. Some soundtrack choices are peculiar, but haunting and moving none the less.
    However, the writing of the game is noticeably worse than what we've come to expect from Naughty Dog. Particularly, Ellie's part is written terribly, giving the actress no actual words to work with. And the overall plot has huge issues, mainly the fact that the game is not about anything. It isn't about Joel and Ellie and their relationship, it's not about a journey, it's not even about saving human kind - it's just a game with nothing to say. It's a empty, fun vessel and nothing more. The Director missed too many of opportunities to make this experience special or noteworthy. The most interesting part of The Last of Us are the Infected, though the game isn't much about them either. / SPOILERS / And the ending is too disappointing to even be considered a proper ending. Without giving too much away, it practically makes the whole game entirely pointless. Most games end with the player saving the world, or someone special. The world - obvious choice, it makes everyone feel at least a bit happy with their experience. However, this game forces you to make the other choice and save someone special. However, the game didn't give me not one reason to really care and like neither Joel or Ellie, and even if you like them - the thing is that the game does not make you feel for Ellie as Joel feels for her, and that is where the problems lie, in my opinion. / END SPOILERS /
    Gameplay is probably the strongest point of The Last of Us, however there are a few issues with pacing here and there, along with a few really awkward decisions that lead nowhere. Even at that, both stealth sections and gunfights are intense, well-thought out and balanced - probably the best we've seen from Naughty Dog.
    And that is pretty much it. It's a weak "The Walking Dead" spinoff, that is not that great. It's not a "masterpiece" - a 100%, a 10/10 or a 5/5. A game considered a masterpiece must have meaning, better writing, and not only good looks, but good design too. To me, everyone who gives this game above an 8 is either dumb or has been paid to do so. If you don't agree on my points - go play The Walking Dead Season 1, there you can see how much better executed is a very similar plot.
    Most people have heard probably of BioShock Infinite - a game that was not so overhyped. I'm bringing it up, because it's a good example to compare The Last of Us with - about writing, about how the game is directed to make you care and about the fact that it contains meaning, it contains something that will haunt you until you die. This is something The Last of Us strives to achieve, but I believe that ultimately it's bad directing and a weak plot that bring it down from greatness.
    The Last of Us is indeed the most overrated game I have ever seen and played. However, that does not mean it's not a good game - it is. It's fun, very fun in fact, and I do recommend it, because there is something to it. It's just not the masterpiece everyone is now almost taught to say it is.
  7. Apr 29, 2014
    ===========
    ===========
    As in Uncharted, Naughty Dog proves once again with The Last of Us that a game with repetitive gameplay but emotional story and pretty visuals to hide the nature of the gameplay can fool many and get 10/10s for no reason.
  8. Jun 24, 2013
    The visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would knowThe visuals in this game are extremely refined. Top of their class. The gameplay is much less refined. It is essentially a stealth shooter and not a very good one. My immersion in the game was never very deep because the stealth mechanic was so unconvincingly executed. All enemies are either sensitive to line of sight or the sound of YOUR foot steps or gunshots. How the enemy would know the difference between the foot steps or gunshots of an ally or an enemy isn't explored, but it is of little consequence as nearly every OTHER sound is ignored. Grunts, stabs, clangs, clinks, your allies talking, whistling or yelling. Hell, the enemies don't even see your allies stumbling at their own feet. Also, enemies have infinite ammo, until they die. Then they rarely drop weapons or ammo, and even more rarely of the type they were using to attack you. The seeing-by-sound system was buggy and sometimes failed to show close enemies or report them in the correct direction. The story could use more development. The focus is on character relationships, but unfortunately I was never convinced to be on the side of the character that I played. I didn't agree with his values or judgement and did not want him to succeed while exhibiting those values. There are NO better looking games from this generation, but there are many better games. Expand
  9. Jun 18, 2013
    It's the same as Uncharted except no swinging from ledges and no rolling out of the way. Graphics are as good as you'll see on PS3 but stages lack interactivity. Crafting is an interesting addition and translates well into the online multiplayer, which is good but overall it's the same team deathmatch setup you see in nearly every shooter these days.

My main problem is the way the story

My main problem is the way the story is forced on you. You can skip some cutscenes, but it takes four button presses to do so. Some sections require player input but all you do is walk forward slowly and maybe press a button to progress the story. This isn't so bad on your first play through but feels like torture on a second when you know what's going to happen but can't change it.

It's a perfectly playable third person shooter if that's what your looking for. Stealth is handled well I suppose. Human enemy AI impresses with them flanking you intelligently. Shooting is satisfying enough and projectile weapons such as nail bombs are fun.

The Last of Us tries to take on the likes of Resident Evil 4 and Dead Space but comes off third best.
  10. Feb 9, 2014
    The game is good. It’s not the most amazing thing on the planet, it’s not revolutionary; it’s just good. The story is great and the gameplay is well thought out, however, I do not see what the big deal is and how it deserves to be deemed a masterpiece.
  11. Jun 22, 2013
    As a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea ofAs a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea of transporting someone from point A to point B, in the end, graphics are quite good, gameplay is average though puzzle solving and platforming sections are nearly exactly the same every time in a different area which is frustrating, another criticism I have is the ending, it left me speechless, but in the wrong way, I couldn't tell weather the game was good or bad after reaching the ending, which just felt like I went in an entire circle and happened abruptly, it wasn't a bad or good ending it was more like a stalemate in gaming, in the end, if you're looking for perfect. the first half-hour will be impressive, but the rest of the game, simply became an exercise or predictability, sudden and annoying combat and a story that tries to invest you emotionally, but worked more at the beginning then it did in the actual ending, in the end, I am waiting for the day when games like Spec Ops, The Walking Dead and the new Tomb Raider are combined properly without any problems and choice that affects the story, not just the combat, In the end, an overrated game, but not a bad one, the story intrigued me at the time despite predictability but ended horribly Expand
  12. Dec 31, 2013
    i guess i have a different review from most of the others on here.... ill start out saying i prefer sandbox type games like gta...... in my opinion this game is very linear. you basically follow a set path with no choices. the game starts to become very repetitive, however it does have a strong finish and the graphics are unbelievable.
  13. Aug 20, 2013
    I had super high expectations for this game. I think anyone would with all the ridiculously high reviews it was getting from journalists/players alike. The prologue was a 10/10 no doubt. It was pretty standard zombie apocalypse fanfare, but it was so well-presented.

After the prologue I was super hyped. Then the real game started. To sum it up I'd say it's super-generic stealth gameplay. There is nothing unique or innovative about it. It's been done a million times in other games. Now I'm not a fan of innovation for innovation's sake, but compared to the relatively high quality of the game's also somewhat generic but well-presented story, characters, dialogue, and voice acting, the gameplay sticks out like a sore thumb. To me it just wasn't fun. I found myself dreading the gameplay segments and wanting more story.

If I were to rate TLoU on its story, characters, etc I'd give it an 8, maybe 8.5. But as a video game where gameplay is the most important factor (in my opinion), I can't give it more than a 6/10.
  14. Jun 26, 2013
    Very good game but way to over rated. Love the characters. Very good graphics also but the gameplay and storyline is meh. Uncharted kicks its ass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  15. Jul 25, 2013
    as an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pcas an exclusive cant rate it above 5. as a rule of a thumb an exclusive on console can never go above 5 especially 1 thats really brilliant. i wont praise a console specific exclusive like others do since i dont believe in exclusives. thankfully my money went elsewhere for a ps3 and this game. sorry sony you aren't getting my money for just 1 game. shouldve thought about porting it to pc if you wanted more money. just because they rival Microsoft doesn't mean it should be ps3 only Expand
  16. Aug 2, 2013
    Still don't understand how this game is any better than TombRiader or Dishonored. This game is nothing special. Maybe for console gamers this game is impressive but for a PC gamer this game is just another average game at best. Alright graphics, same old boring game play and okish story. Nothing special.
  17. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a tough game to review. It seemed simple for "professional" reviewers to go and give perfect scores. I can't.

I understand why people like this game. I get the whole emotional angle Naughty Dog is trying to sell. But my experience although good taken as a whole was at times so bad I almost didn't finish the game. Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person

Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person shooter with crafting and RPG elements. Occasionally stealth is involved. There are moments perfectly crafted with great pacing and great balance of gameplay and set pieces. Than there are stupid moments. Teleporting zombies, human enemies that flank you no matter where you are(they go through walls apparently). Sadly these moments are not rare and for every good combat gameplay piece there is a stupidly broken one. Maybe it's just the way I played. I don't know, if you enjoy this type of BS or don't really care you will have a better experience. To me the gameplay feels like a filler between emotional cut scenes and set pieces. And that's bad. Also BOSS FIGTS. For the love of God. BOSS FIGHTS.

Number 2: The story is at best OK. They chose a fungus as the reason for the zombie apocalypse and than they go nowhere with it. Every single character that dies, dies because of zombie bites. You know, that cliché. Where they get bit and they hide it. It happens twice because once was not enough. Also the writing is mind blowing bad. "We've got to get out of here" and it's many variants are used constantly along with all the other cliché lines Hollywood has been using for years. The ending is stupid also but I will not spoil it for you(there really is nothing to spoil).

Number 3: Even with all these game breaking flaws I enjoyed the game enough to finish it. So I gave it a 7/10 because emotional cut scenes aside there's just nothing here. You can just watch the cut scenes on youtube and get the best this game has to offer without the unremarkable gameplay.
  18. Apr 16, 2014
    The most overrated "game" of all time. The atmosphere and story are decent, but there is very little actual gameplay. You probably won't realize this on your first playthrough because you will be playing overly cautiously and exploring for materials, wondering what is around the next corner. But once you've beaten it, you will understand that there are very few fights with enemies and aThe most overrated "game" of all time. The atmosphere and story are decent, but there is very little actual gameplay. You probably won't realize this on your first playthrough because you will be playing overly cautiously and exploring for materials, wondering what is around the next corner. But once you've beaten it, you will understand that there are very few fights with enemies and a whole lot of slow boring sections spent walking around listening to Ellie, separated by lots of cutscenes. The multiplayer can be enjoyable, but the poor hit detection coupled with the slow pace isn't likely to hold many peoples' attention for very long. Expand
  19. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I stopped playing this game about 1/3 in. 1 week later I watched the online play through just for story, so I know what the fuzz will be about when we will be talking about this game later, as I am sure many of my friends will do. As for me, I didn't like it. It felt like a really simple game with very easy puzzles, who required nothing from you but looking around for stuff like a scavenger fool. Don't get me wrong, the opening was great, but after playing Bioshock:Infinite, I guess I was spoiled as the companion in that game was much better than the ones in this one, in regards to mechanism. If you stealth, they run around like idiots. If you swim across a place, your companion would use powerpuff magic to get to you. It does not feel as real as in Bioshock, and it makes it feel like the companion are just put into the game to not get in your way and be a conversationalist.

Further on everyone are irrational idiots in this world. The environment and atmosphere does not collude with how the world is presented. If you even payed the slightest attention in the nature science classes or even the social sciences, you'd know some of the approaches done in this game are beyond stupid. It's like they wiped the world of anyone with a brain and left the idiots in charge, just to give you an excuse for a game. You have thriving wildlife, nature working just fine and the only problem are a bunch of people who can bite you and some underground fungus. I mean after you are done you've pretty much cleared a whole area of infected people, and could alone be the guardian of humanity, as these people represent no bigger threat than a bad neighborhood. Hell a 14 year old girl are wiping the floor with them, and could easily be cleared by the local militia in a matter of weeks. The fungus are not more dangerous than you can walk through it with a gas mask, you even have a god damn smuggling route through it regularly, yet this is just too hard to eradicate? Like, Come on! Also wtf is the obsession for a cure, from the looks of things you don't need it as the local crime lord packs a bigger punch than the infected ever will. The main character I could not relate to, as he was murdering people left and right "because he have to in order to survive" which is a reason judged from the circumstances, only true in words "because we told you so" and not from a real threat presented in the game. Also he never even considered handing over Ellie to the proper authorities and instead goes through hell for an untrusted weak terrorist organization. Again, the stupidity is beyond what I can fathom. And I get it, this is not the real world, you have to accept some thing in order to keep the story going. Mass Effect was not great because they gave you schematics for their relay stations, but when they try to emerge you as a person into a game, and they try to make that game a survival horror based on what could happen in reality, then I feel that you should require somewhat realistic behavior and not boil it down to "I'm a tough guy who can take care of a 14 year old in a post zombified world".

Now maybe this game is just not for me, I'm not a big fan of zombie games in general, though I don't dislike them either. I guess there will be no one to read this in the end, as I am on the wrong side of the mainstream fence on this one, but I guess I'll just write this for myself to help me understand why I didn't like it. I expected greatness, I expected a really good story, I expected immersion with my companions and character on a level of the best RPGs, and all I got was this world full of irrational idiots, a story about getting from A to B and a main character with zero choice other than making a fool out of himself over and over and over again.
  20. Oct 16, 2013
    A good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "beenA good attempt by Naughty Dog but this game left me wanting more. The character relationships felt forced and unnatural while the game play is often boring. I enjoyed the overall story and the ending but getting there felt like a slog. Many of the action sequences are redundant and the game doesn't do much that hasn't been done before. Even some of the more tense sequences had a very "been there, done that" feel to them. The puzzles are very easy and almost feel unnecessary in that way. If you are going to include puzzles, at least make the fun and interesting to solve. The scavenging and crafting make sense and fit well in a survival game like this but the system could have been fleshed out a lot more. Finding half broken scissors to build shivs and shrapnel bombs loses it's effect after the 100th time you do it. The graphics are great for a current gen game and the cinematics are integrated well. I tried the multiplayer and it was actually pretty good but probably won't become your new staple anytime soon. Expand
  21. Dec 18, 2013
    Is the Last of Us a good game? No, it's a fantastic game. Graphics are good, gameplay is good and cinemathics are even better. So why do I rate it a six?
    Because I continue to have new bugs popping up, which is not normal for a game which is out for more than half a year.
    At 50% of the game, I got a black screen that didn't move on after the initial "the last of us" startup screen. After 4 retries and a playstation software update it worked again. At 60% of the game, a cinematic didn't work properly so had to skip it. At 85% of the game new cinematic that didn't work properly and crashed my ps3. After restart I could only get past it after skipping the movie. Shortly after, new cinematic which didn't work and since than after starting up the game it halts at either 0 or 15% of the game being loaded. So now again online to find a fix for it, real bummer cus the game is for the rest superb.
  22. Jun 15, 2014
    Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes.Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes. However the gameplay is a mess. This is a 3rd person shooter with some tacked on stealth. However ammo is scarce, so most of the time it is better to go the stealth route. The controls however feel loose (read: realism), and require you to have better aim than your standard third person shooter. NPC enemies also have very spastic animations, so even when you think you have a shot on them, they will jerk their body or head to the side and you will miss the shot. You go into an annoying stagger animation when you get shot (again, realism), which requires you to re-aim your shot, by which time the enemy has already closed the distance and is pounding you to shreds. Close quarters combat is stacked towards the enemy, especially the zombies, many of whom can one-shot kill you at this range. Ellie, your NPC companion, aids very little in combat. Enemies are also oblivious to her presence, even though it is clear they can see her. I guess the idea here was not to punish the player for enemies spotting your NPC companion, but this simply breaks immersion. You also can't switch weapons while on the move, which is especially aggravating when you need to switch from an empty to a loaded weapon while an enemy is chasing you. The game itself plays like your typical cinematic linear shooter, with some outdoor areas that open up a bit and allowing you to explore. All your standard shooter gameplay tropes are here: "defend an area from hordes of enemies", "find an alternate route", "clear area of enemies to proceed", "run away from an armored vehicle"... you get the idea. There are some tiresome ladder and plank "puzzles" that require you to move a ladder from A to B to get somewhere. They add nothing to the gameplay and feel like padding. There is also a skill system (what game doesn't have this nowadays?) that allows you to upgrade your character. It's good to have, and allows you to tailor your gameplay experience somewhat, although I found many of the skills to be useless (faster crafting? what's the point? You shouldn't be crafting during combat). The story is serviceable. You play as Joel, a grieving father tasked with delivering Ellie, a girl immune to the zombie virus, to the human resistance movement. It's like the Walking Dead; the last vestiges of humanity fighting against zombies, lots of interpersonal relationship stuff, harrowing situations, etc. Which is fine, not a lot of games go this route. But TLOU didn't invent this genre, so let's not give it more credit than it deserves. Joel is your typical gruff white guy we've seen dozens of times by now. As for Ellie, they seemed to have cast someone too old to play her, as she comes off as being a little too precocious. The section where you play as Ellie. She says "piece of sh*t" or "motherf*cker" EVERY TIME she kills someone. Why was this necessary? It's not behavior you'd expect from a pre-teen. The much talked about ending, though clever emotionally, left an empty feeling with me, similar to Prince of Persia 2008's ending. As a player, I want to feel like I accomplished something. Don't throw away everything I've done in the past 10+ hours.

To sum up, this is not a fun game. If you want to play a Walking Dead episode, with all of Naughty Dog's trademark high production values, then this is for you. However if like me, you like your games to be fun, then give this a pass.
  23. Oct 22, 2013
    A good game, but probably would've made a better movie...
    Not a lot of detail needs to go into the pros and cons of this one.
    PROS: +The story. The story is at par in my opinion as one of the greatest stories ever told by a video game. +The characters. The main characters are real; they are morally questionable but overall lovable, and the villains are hateful disgusting people who you
    A good game, but probably would've made a better movie...
    Not a lot of detail needs to go into the pros and cons of this one.
    PROS:
    +The characters. The main characters are real; they are morally questionable but overall lovable, and the villains are hateful disgusting people who you wish nothing but ill will upon.
    CONS:
    -Rather predictable; you know who is going to die the second you lay eyes on the poor sucker.
    -Doesn't tell you where to go so you'll be stumbling in the dark for longer than you should.
    -Some points can seem repetitive like a lot of story only games.
  24. Mar 3, 2014
    A great game to enjoy once or twice. The story is average when you think about it, not much different than what you've seen before. It's a very linear game and very scripted. For some this is ok, but for me it seemed like you were watching a movie, and at times, it may have been more enjoyable for a cutscene to take the place of a playable gunfight. Further into the game, time and timeA great game to enjoy once or twice. The story is average when you think about it, not much different than what you've seen before. It's a very linear game and very scripted. For some this is ok, but for me it seemed like you were watching a movie, and at times, it may have been more enjoyable for a cutscene to take the place of a playable gunfight. Further into the game, time and time again a group of scavengers will show looking for you whilst walking back and forth from one end of the room to another before you take them out. It gets a bit frustrating when you finally take out the group only to hear the clicking sound from a group of infected coming your way.

Good game but a little bit overrated. Definitely should be a sequel with a few tweaks and a continuation of the story, as the characters are interesting.
  25. Sep 19, 2013
    this game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremelythis game is just you average corridor shooter with a 13 year old annoying the game is not bad its just not a praising factor for my a 91 is a little high for this game also the ending is just not worth my time but the graphics are amazing its great what Naughty Dog did to this game I can just imagine there shine on the Ps4 the gameplay is not survival like but the game is extremely forgiving there is various checkpoints and just does not feel like a infected invasion also the Stealth like gameplay does not help this game the multiplayer surprisingly is great but the amount of lag is just unbearable also you need a online pass for it does not make it any better also the shooting in this game is kind of odd feeling when Joel shakes the reticle when he shoots his gun this game might be for you if you into the SiFi feeling video but for me its just okay Expand
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    What the hell was I thinking???? I gave this game a 7 only 5 hours into the game. I guess because I'm so burned out with zombie games. But I'm rewriting this review to say I'm absolutely obsessed with this game. Game of this generation..on ps3...xbox...maybe even xbox one.

Not enough talk about multiplayer...so I'm going to talk about it. Multiplayer....omg..awesome. Very addictive. I haven't thought this much about multiplayer since when modern warfare first came out in 2007. At first I was getting slaughtered...but you have to think to win. I hate even bringing up COD since it sucks so bad now, but trust me this game is revolutionary. Check it out, even if you dispize zombie stuff like I do
  27. Nov 25, 2013
    Well, i have finally finished on the game, i think the story was really nice, but i really didn't liked the game play and the game genre is kinda overrated... the graphics are pretty amazing too, Naughty Dog, should look forward to a sequel.
  28. May 27, 2014
    First off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I'veFirst off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played, and the way it is presented is second to none. The characters all have distinct personalities and are well developed. The dialogue is great and so are the voice actors that deliver it. The atmosphere really does feel like a post apocalyptic future. The graphics are some of the best ever (on consoles) even though the color pallet looks like the game ate Fallout 3 then spit it out and added vines everywhere. With all this having been said, I have zero idea how anybody can think this game is a masterpiece or anywhere close. The gameplay (you know the point of playing a video game) is so lackluster, and the game is not well designed. The game tries to be a stealth-action survival horror game except it meets none of those genre's criteria well. It would have been great had the areas flowed together coherently but anywhere that there are enemies is basically an arena of conveniently placed boxes (much like another stealth-action game it tries so hard but fails to be, Metal Gear Solid) And really Naughty Dog? With the oil tankers full of money that Sony gave you to make this game, you couldn't spring for more than one stealth choking animation or 5 skins of enemy characters? It fails on the survival horror front because you are always being presented with bullets and medpacks and whatever you need because the game was made for casuals. The crafting makes no sense as Rag+Alcohol apparently = bandage. The "puzzles" consist of moving a latter from one place to another. Thrilling. By far the worst part of the game is the AI. All the AI in the game is broken. Enemy AI is completely inept on even the highest difficulty and your partner AI? God help me. Having bad enemy AI is enough to break any stealth game, but bad partner AI too? Might as well kill yourself. If you want to play a third person survival horror zombie game with bad partner AI and stiff controls then play Resident evil 4, a far superior game. The game is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types to fight against. The gameplay itself is slightly above average, yet the game has garnered 9's and 10's on almost every major site, presumably based on story alone. Well I'm sorry but the fact is that I will never give a video game a 9 or a 10 based on story alone. What even qualifies as a game anymore? If I rendered Terminator 2 in video game cutscenes and let you press a button every 10 minutes to choose what one liner Arnold says would that be a 10/10 flawless masterpiece of a game? I'm not saying that this is what the last of us is like, but its not far off. Everything is so linear and all the exciting things happen in cutscenes that happen every 5 minutes. If I wanted to play a mediocre stealth game in between watching a decent zombie movie, I would watch Shaun of the Dead and pause every ten minutes to play Alpha Protocol. Since when has it been ok for a VIDEO GAME to be called a masterpiece when the gameplay is average at best? You'd would think that with the way video game technology has progressed that developers would give us bigger worlds to explore with better AI and more depth, but nope, they're using it to make games like movies. This brings me to my next point which is, in a video game this story is amazing, but as a movie, this story is average and cliche at best. There are other games that have good stories that aren't a boring chore to play through and that actually add something to the respective genre that they're in. The last of us is by no means a bad game, but it is only a slightly above average game that brings nothing new or interesting to the Stealth action or Survival horror genres, and is made very good by its story and characters (even if they all swear like they just got off the USS Saratoga) Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    i would compare this game not to watching paint dry, but to actually watching a house being painted. sure, there's action, but it's pretty boring. I feel bad for that guy at Polygon who reviewed this a 7.5 and took all the heat. I was ready to see that guy sacrificed in a volcano pre-release, but now that i've played most of the game, he was right on the money. this is an average toi would compare this game not to watching paint dry, but to actually watching a house being painted. sure, there's action, but it's pretty boring. I feel bad for that guy at Polygon who reviewed this a 7.5 and took all the heat. I was ready to see that guy sacrificed in a volcano pre-release, but now that i've played most of the game, he was right on the money. this is an average to below average shooter masked with amazing production value. Uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games, and this comes across as a slow, boring, neutered version of that concept based entirely around its so-so stealth mechanic. The story is cliche, the characters are mildly developed to put it mildly, and the gameplay mechanics aren't fun enough to keep me entertained moment to moment. If you are a big Survival Horror fan like me and were hoping this game would be the second coming, i would lower your expectations. The game's "survival" tendencies are completely at odds with its own pacing. On one hand, the temptation is to pixel hunt to make sure you have enough supplies, but by doing this, you end up exploring big empty environments and DRAMATICALLY slow down the pace of an already slow game. And what's worse is that I've felt flush with supplies the whole time, ever since i adapted to the game's "bullet allowance". Pixel hunting works in the Silent Hill games (for instance) because they have an overall labyrinth quality: your'e searching for a place to go, which requires finding keys and puzzle pieces. It's all built around the search, and finding a new object is its own reward. The Last of Us just asks you to scrounge for little "scissor emblems" while taking you on rails from one locale to the next. Most of which are very straightforward areas by the way. And when you are suddenly confronted by a large environment in TLOU, it's just stressful. Like: there's no puzzle to solve, there's just dudes to shoot and where the is the next car to crawl on top of and get to the next alley way full of cars. if i sound sour it's because the game has so much potential. Expand
  30. Aug 10, 2013
    i didn't really into the idea to get the developers of Crash Bandicoot to make uncharted but it was a good game i must say this game is just uncharted with zombies and a teen girl. the guns are not that good including the bow which made me sad because i ALWAYS use the bow. i have not got far in the game but the multiplayer is good. i think it needs a 5-10. like this review give it a likei didn't really into the idea to get the developers of Crash Bandicoot to make uncharted but it was a good game i must say this game is just uncharted with zombies and a teen girl. the guns are not that good including the bow which made me sad because i ALWAYS use the bow. i have not got far in the game but the multiplayer is good. i think it needs a 5-10. like this review give it a like and ill see you later Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]