• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jan 19, 2014
    Never have I completed an interactive experience such as this one. An incredibly beautifully created game with intense, solid, brutal gameplay, and a narrative that grips and keeps moving you along in a way that I've never had before. Fantastic acting and dynamic interactions. The character movement may feel a bit clunky compared to other current titles, but it's a small thing to overlook when considering the overall masterpiece that this gem really is. A greatly satisfying and thought-provoking journey. Expand
  2. Aug 4, 2013
    Superb work of art. You rarely come across a game with such marvellous storytelling. The gameplay is really fun and challenging and the presentation of the game is the best I've seen to date.
    This game is a must-have to every gamer.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    This is a great game and if you own a Playstation 3 you should play it.

The bad "User" reviews by GonzoGamer and Wilfogn Your other review are all XboX360 games. .
    So my question to you is is? Are you really that stupid, why would you go and give a bad review to a game of a console you don't even have..... You should pursuit a career in politics, you are picture perfect for the job.
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    WOW! WOW! WOW! I can just keep saying this because that's what this game is... it's WOW! I cannot stop playing this game. I am already thinking of playing it again, and I'm not even done with it! Just simply amazing!
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    Excellent and good game, but I expect more of this and the reason that the ads suggest you do so!
    We hope to be next to be much better by adil khojah from saudi arabiya
  6. Aug 4, 2013
    It's the cohesiveness that astonishes The best script and cut scenes in computer games meets extremely polished gameplay and stunning set pieces all held together with pitch perfect pacing to create something that looks like an amazing movie yet still feels like a amazing game.
    Computer games aren't meant to be swimming around your head days after you complete them but this one did.
    Computer games shouldn't leve you open mouthed in awe but this one did. Computer games aren't meant to make you cry but this one did. Enough said. Expand
  7. Jul 23, 2013
    Well, while it may not be lengthy enough for some of us naughty dog fans, and may have some little niggling bugs here and there, this is a fine piece this. This wonderful, scary, empowering, and generally diamond in the polished diamond stage game. Thank God we are not existing in a time where publishers are afraid to create games that are different enough in their execution, while being similar enough to others to not totally drown and falter. Thank Christ we have SONY with giant gold plated platinum balls, creating real games in many different and interesting genres, instead of dude first person bro-fests. As you can see, I am very happy about this game. The best thing about the last of us is the fact that it is REAL-ISH, the deaths are god awful to experience. I had to shut the box off once because I saw death sequences too many times, and I was sickened. The art and design of the levels is top notch, while not over the top. Gun play is enjoyable. Play it! Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2014
    even though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scary at times, the game can be brutally difficult if you don't play wisely, the graphics are better than most ps4 games out right now and even the multiplayer is really fun Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    With The Last of Us Naughty Dog have delivered a masterpiece in every sense of the word. They don’t just raise the bar for video games, they set a new precedent that all narrative driven games should be measured against. I’ve already heaped huge amounts of praise onto The Last of Us, and yet I feel like I could continue to conjour up new ways of explaining just how impressive the experience is. In the end, when I tell you that The Last of Us is not only the best, most complete, game of this generation, but also one of the best games that I’ve ever had the fortune to play, I hope you’ll realise how impossibly good The Last of Us is. Expand
  10. Aug 6, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played by far. The story keeps you sucked in, the game mechanics are good (better than "Uncharted" series), and the subtle music is just enough. I really enjoyed it.
  11. Sep 18, 2013
    This is my first review for metacritic. And there's no better game to start off with.

If the Last of Us isn't game of the year, demand a recount. This is one of the most enjoyable games for the PS3. The story, although often rehashed with the premise of surviving a zombie ridden world, TLOU provides a great story. Joel, is paired up with Ellie, a young girl who seems to be the key to
    ending or at least surpress the spread of zombies. Ellie is immune, and a group called the Fireflies wants to get a hold of Ellie. That's all I'll say for now. The presentation or visuals, gritty, dark, perfect. You really get that feeling of wanting to survive. The sound, music fits right in with what's happening on screen, the voice acting is great. The clickers are as creepy as they look. I dare anyone to play this on their sound system at night, late night. The combat is where it shines. You are limited in ammunition and weapons in general. I really felt the need to move around and make sure my shots count. There's an excellent crafting system as well. You get to craft shivs), bombs, smoke bombs, and molotovs. The enemies, a rebel group of hunters, the aforementioned fireflies, and the zombies, which are called clickers. They come in different versions depending on how long someone has been infected. This might be my only real gripe about the game. There were many variations of clickers but I felt as if there should have been more. It's minor. Once you complete the game, you have the option to try it again on harder difficulties. I'm on new game plus.

And then there's the online. This is a breath of fresh air! Warning, if you're a COD gamer, the online is not for you. The online is much slower paced and incorporates the crafting system found in the single player. Nicely done. Teamwork is the main key to the online. In one mode, supply raid, each team has 20 reinforcements or tickets. When a player dies, a reinforcement is used. The team that runs out of reinforcements loses. There's also a no supply raid (no respawn) mode and an interrogation mode. The downside is there are only 3 modes but there's much potential to have more. Interrogation was the new mode added recently.

If you're looking for a great adventure/survival game, The Last of Us is the game to play.
  12. Oct 1, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! Its just like Half Life where everything just works and fits together perfectly. The story, graphics and gameplay work well together and I was interested right the way through the game. I'll definitely play it through again on a harder difficulty setting in the future. This game is worth getting a PS3 for!
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    The greatest game of this generation. We dive into this universe in awe and full emotion capacity. The Last Of Us portrays its message clearly and gives us an experience that we may never get again (unless Naughty Dog tops it off with a sequel, which is not impossible btw, hehe.) But hey, I have never played a video game as spectacular as this. I can emphasize with the story and the way it invites us to enter its universe is really marvelous. An unforgettable video game, it still resonates to this day in my mind. Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    Honestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This should be experienced by everyone. Expand
  15. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is on my short list for perfect 10's. Few games come to mind that are close to this caliber of top notch presentation, amazing story, and superb game play. This is a true return to survival horror, a genre many fans felt disappeared after Resident Evil 4 (some say even before that). I honestly haven't even started to play multiplayer yet, but I only hear good to great things about it. I know it's a little late in the current gen to say this, but this is a system seller of a game if I have ever played one! Expand
  16. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played, up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1,3,4 Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog devs dont mess around and they really take their job very serious, everything about this game excels in production value.

A very touching story that kept me caring for the 2 main characters, I really was able to feel what
    they were going thru, the immersion on this game is phenomenal, thanks to the state of the art graphics, motion capture, art direction, gameplay mechanics and story driven run through a post apocalyptic US.

The visceral action although very violent, never over the top, perfectly balance as it should be in the real world, without dragging it too much into reality. You really feel the tension with each encounter. The tension doesnt stop there of course, the fact that you really have to preserve ammo and make every shot count is and awesome game design decision. It forces you to explore, and really use strategic approaches to every situation, do you take down every one using stealth, do you avoid the confrontation and sneak past them, or do you go gun blazing. Either way you choose you will have to play smart and keep all your weapons loaded at all times, a split second can really mean the difference between dying or surviving.

So much more to say about this game, but I would have to write a 10 page essay for that, in short The Last Of Us is a game we only get once every generation, the quality of the story, gameplay and graphics are superb, if youre a fan of stealth, action, survival, story driven games, this is the one for you.
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    I was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earns your passion. The music, the graphics, the sound are mind-blowing. Every goddamn thing about this game screams perfection. Naughty Dog stepped away from their cartoonish Uncharted and Jak & Daxter and got my heart pumped and passion burning bright red. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!! Either you go stealth or combat, it works out beautifully. It is one of the greatest games ever. Plain and simple. Those who disagree are completely blind or have not yet experienced the pure awesomeness of this game. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. Major replay value Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    Recipe for one of the greatest games ever. 1part Resident Evil, 1 part Metal Gear Solid, 1 part Far Cry 3. These are the 3 games that came to mind when playing, "The Last of Us". Whomever was responsible for RE 5 and 6, should be ashamed of themselves after playing this game. This is how Survival horror should be done. I wouldn't be surprised if future developers copy the formula for this game. It is a thrilling roller coaster ride of feelings and emotions while playing. It is my first game in which the narrative actually made me uncomfortable during CG scenes. How the developers blended survival horror with stealth was genius. When enemies are alerted, the game actually sounds off with the same alert you hear when playing Metal Gear. It makes me wonder, if they had to liscense that from Konami. Ammo? Yes, there is ammo, and health kits, and craftable items. However, these items are scarce, and when you do come across them. BUCKLE UP!! because your going for a gut wrenching, intense ride of gameplay that you've never experienced. The Uncharted simuarities are here as well. The Graphics, cut scenes, and even some light platforming elements brought Uncharted to mind. The slight visual cues of where to go next we're a nice touch and typical of naughty dog games. My comparison to Far Cry 3 is small, but it was there. Every time you run into a group of enemies, there is a strategy you can formulate to take them all down in your most efficient way possible. Some encounters, you don't even have to fight if you choose the stealthiest path. Good luck with that. Why? because when you encounter your first human enemy, you will be terrified. You will panic and probably try to Call of Duty them to death, and you will lose. Then you will have your first run in with an infected, and the same thing will happen. At some point you will hide behind cover for awhile and hope they just go away. But they won't. You will have to engage at some point and attempt to dispatch them, while your mouth fills with vomit from the constant stress and anxiety you will experience. There is down time. During these moments, things will appear tranquill and serene. You will ask questions of the world created by Naughty Dog. How can post apocolypto be some pretty and f'd up at the same time? After your nerves are racked, there will be moments of, "why is the game prompting me to pick up this weapon?" why is there unlimited ammo for a moment? "OH! so you can kick my ass some more......" End scene, and some down time before they mind F you some more. Unbelieveable. Anyone that owns a PS3 should purchase this game. I personally loved it and hated it at the same time. I am not a fan of stealth games like Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and some of my worst moments of Assassins Creed games. It makes me want to go back and try those games again. I feel like i've just been sent to Survival Horror, Stealth bootcamp. The great part is, the game does a great job of building you up and ripping you down. In it's finale, you will have a variety of killing devices at you diposal. I guarantee you won't use them. Because the game sucks? NO!! because by the time you arrive at the finish line, it's crucibal, you will be a seasoned killing machine, that relys on cunning tactics and stealth to get through. You will feel empowered, like a predator stalking it's prey. Your enemies will fear you, and you will be numb with emotion. All the items in your inventory are there to tease the weak. Those that decide to Rambo their way through the end, will have missed out on what makes it great. Which is why the game punishes you for using that type of strategy. It can be done, but it will be a harder path. Those indaviduals that can stay calm and focus their emotions will get most of what this world is all about. It took me 2 weeks to beat this game. Partly because of my disdain for games like this and also becuase it terrified me. Anymore than 45- 60 min a sitting was all I could stomach. I was petrified of what was waiting for me around every corner. I thought this game was great. It was made for everybody and nobody at the same time. Most people play video games to have fun and let loose. This game is not fun. Not in the way that your used to anyway. Gamers that love this stuff, will......have fun...most of us will be all screwed up and distraught after playing. The thing is, this sort of game has been done before. Just not quite like this. It has a genre unto its own. The Last of Us really does reinvent the wheel to some extent. The reason why it messes with you, is because the experiences it delivers are new and fresh. The same infected zombie that freaked you in the early parts of the game, will still freak you out in the end. The game doesn't give you a chance to be comfortable with your surroundings. Im giving it a ten only because it blew my mind. How could I not. I've been a gamer for 30+ years, and never has a game nocked my nitz off like "The Last of Us". Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    While this game has a great storyline, great acting and great single player although extremely linear...Naughty Dog failed to provide decent multi-player which has the same tired feel of the COD games levelling up rubbish. Totally unbalanced until you level up past a certain point. This alone will make most newcomers to the multi-player game not want to bother. Also, while I'm sure there will be DLC with new modes...its basically Team Death match.

All in all just rent the game and enjoy it that way...instead of selling it in a couple of weeks.
  20. Jul 1, 2013
    I went into this game thinking that it was going to be at the very least pretty good given all the slobbering reviews and perfect scores from "professional reviewers" and the general public. But after playing it for a number of hours, I still haven't figured out what it is about this game that makes people think it deserves the accolades it's being given.

It's not a bad game, it's a
    good game. It's far from perfect, and it's FAR from the "game of the year" love fest that has been heaped upon it.

It took several hours of playing before I even started to care what happened to any of the characters, and was even glad one of them died so early. The repetitiveness of the game play was enough to bore me so much that I actually had to make myself continue to play it, just so I could try and get my $60 worth.

The AI is at times non existent. Many times my character would be hiding from an enemy, but the NPC character with me would be running around bumping into the enemies, but they wouldn't notice?!?

This is what I like to call a "rinse and repeat" game. You enter a "level", look for ammo, nuts and bolts, maybe a new weapon or a health kit, fight off a swarm of the same enemies, and then move on to the next level and do it all over again. And in between you are subjected to the emotional issues of each character and how they are trying not to get too close to each other for fear of losing someone they care about again. *Snore*

Like I said, not a bad game, it's a "good" game, but not even close to a game of the year candidate.
  21. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is amazing, so beautiful! the only thing I would have changed was to have the ability to choose what storylines to follow. like choosing your ending and seeing what happens after youve made the choice like 10 years in the future! But overall an amazing game! naughty dog killed!
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a Naughty Dog game, does anything else really need to be said? Expect excellence because this game will gut punch you out of your seat from the very opening scene, and never let you go.
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    Gun play is kind of iffy, but otherwise this is the best game i have ever played. The story is beautifully told. This game is an absolute masterpiece.
  24. Sep 4, 2013
    The biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounter enemies but not enough to keep its gameplay interesting. It could have easily avoided such redundancy by introducing new gameplay mechanics or new enemies or boss encounters in the mid game to keep things fresh and make gameplay more engaging. The whole campaign felt very flat. The last section of gameplay felt very anti-climatic. It was a bit more challenging than the rest of the game but it wasn't much different from what you were doing the entire time. Stealth, kill, collect items, repeat over and over. The online mode is nice but that won't save the main campaign from its mediocrity.
    If they ever make a sequel, I hope they'll make a better game than a better interactive b-movie.
  25. Dec 31, 2013
    i guess i have a different review from most of the others on here.... ill start out saying i prefer sandbox type games like gta...... in my opinion this game is very linear. you basically follow a set path with no choices. the game starts to become very repetitive, however it does have a strong finish and the graphics are unbelievable.
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    From my perspective, and in my opinion, this is one of the best paced games ever produced. Every level has meaning and makes sense in why you are doing what you are doing. Every character has depth and emotion. Every minute of gameplay is engrossing and enjoyable. In all an unforgettable game.
  27. Jul 25, 2013
    This game IS over rated. I can't imagine all the perfect scores failed me AGAIN. This used to be the most reliable site to find an honest review. I'm not sure what is going on, but maybe some reviewers jumped the gun on this one. Either that or because of the "PERFECT SCORES", I expected something worth being "perfect".... I was anticipating something epic. something that would blow my mind. Got to the end of the game, and never found what is so PERFECT about it... AND WHAT IS UP WITH THE DLC NOT BEING revealed what it is, It's just access to online game playing. Wish I'd never bought it. Already paid TOO MUCH for this short single player game. There is nothing perfect about this game, and it was actually disappointing at the very end. I think I just got bamboozled. Expand
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    Truly wonderful game, i am a big gamer and have played games from Halo to Heavy Rain and Borderlands to Call of Duty and this is the first game in probably 4 years to truly surprise me. One for its shear beauty and two for its brilliant story and to top that off it play so very nicely. It draws you into the survivor role so well, helped by having no HUD and creating while the games still live to create true urgency. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a deep engrossing game. Credit to Naughty Dog for creating a new IP after such a great job on Uncharted Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    Much like God of War 2 for the PS2, The Last of Us is the 'Swan Song' of the PS3. Given none of the game has been revealed, The Last of Us will evoke in most a sense of curiosity, fear, and despair, and this is a good thing. This is an experience like no other, one of which most gamers should experience.
  30. Jul 23, 2013
    The Last Of Us is the most brilliant, perfect, exiting, intensive video game experience of this generation.

Joel and Ellie give us in my opinion, the best Survivor game ever.
  31. Jun 19, 2013
    I have always said that my favourite games of all time are Zelda OoT, Resident Evil, Metal Gear Solid and Final Fantasy (8&10) as they are great childhood memories, however this game is now in my top 5 games I have played... Ever! I prefer Playstation however I have been more of a 360 gamer apart from PS3 exclusives (although PS4 seems to have sorted things out for online chat etc) but no matter what your preferred console is ANY bad review for this game is just retarded and a joke on you for wasting your time. Naughty Dog amazed me with Uncharted but TLOU is better, honestly this game is just pure epic and is better then ANY game I have played in the last 10 years. Some people on here say Bioshock was better, I was a massive fan of Bioshock 1 but I actually sold Bioshock Infinite without even getting half way through the game. Anyway if you still reading reviews on this (I know I'm a bit late to write a review but I've been playing the game) just go out and buy it! I rate MGS incredibly high in my best games ever list and TLOU I actually prefer over MGS4. Don't know what else to say but a massive thank you to the whole team at Naughty Dog, I will be playing this game for years to come and buying old consoles in 10 years time to play it again. Masterpiece and its up there with the best games of all time for me. Brilliant Game!! Expand
  32. Jun 17, 2013
    Just writing to say that I don't understand why Metacritic insists on including reviews from Quarter to Three. There's different opinions... and then there's issuing a low score just to garner page views. Tom Chick definitely falls into the latter.
  33. Jun 20, 2013
    I'm about 75% through this game right now and it's been a blast so far. The visuals, environments, and character models are gorgeous. The post apocalyptic world/zombie theme has been done over and over again, but the characters and their struggles in this game more than make up for it. The gameplay is very much Uncharted, but less action heavy and more stealthy, as you really have to have a good strategy to take down enemies in this game. The Last of Us is kind of a miss mash of open world, third person action, stealth, and shooter all in one. This game is definitely not a mindless shooter though, you need to strategize and actually think about how to proceed with certain situations in the game. The only complaints I have about the game is the confusing weapons menu system, having to "create" health packs and hold up R1 to use it, and the fact that some can somehow survive multiple shotgun blasts...A solid 9/10 though. Expand
  34. Jun 17, 2013
    Anyone who rates this under 9 hasn't played through. it starts slow but all in all it is 1/2 Uncharted, 1/2 Resident Evil. With a good story to boot. That CAN'T be bad!
  35. Sep 12, 2013
    Yeah it's a 10. This game will really put you through it. The characters are best that I've ever come across in a video game and it isn't even close. The world design is brilliant and exactly what I would imagine in a post human environment. The story is also top notch and the developers really put their own unique stamp on the genre it really did seem plausible. The Uncharted games were more lighthearted and fun (and also super great) but the Last of Us really reaches another level of immersion and gritty realism that I didn't think was possible with video games. It's something you just have to experience.

Naughty Dog is head and shoulders above other game design companies and I can't wait to see what they do for PS4. I will buy all of their games for years to come.
  36. Feb 15, 2014
    Best Game of 2013. Gameplay, story, graphics, characters design... every single thing.
    The only thing i didnt like of it was its soundtrack, pretty lame work by Santaolalla, as always.
  37. Jul 5, 2013
    This game singlehandedly glued me back to my PS3. So far, the great games of 2013 like Tomb Raider and Bioshock Infinite found its way into my Steam library on my PC, but exclusives like The Last of Us is what keeps me going back to my PS3. This new release from Naughty Dog features mind-blowing graphics that somehow took advantage of the PS3’s dated hardware and provides smooth performance and framerates without any screen tearing. The storytelling and characters was done so freakin’ perfectly, I don’t even know where to start. Some characters, like Ellie, I just adored, while I truly despised the military and the hunters. More importantly, the actual relationships that develop between characters left me captivated with Naughty Dog’s ability to portray characters reacting and cooperating with one another during moments of extreme crisis. At no point throughout the entire 15+ hour campaign did my interest in the characters diminish. In fact, the pacing of the story was so flawless, I actually grew more and more interested in the characters as I progressed further into the game. The voice acting had the quality of a high budget Hollywood film, and cut scenes featured lifelike animations, giving me the impression that I was watching a movie. I’m not sure if The Last of Us has the best story *ever* in a video game. CD Projekt’s The Witcher franchise or Bioware’s Mass Effect series have impressed me more with their incredible background stories and game worlds, but no game can compete with The Last of Us’ cinematic presentation of its story and character development.

The Last of Us features a hybrid formula of gameplay with new creative ideas in addition to some old gaming elements that I’ve missed from classic games. In The Last of Us, you won’t regenerate your health over time like you normally would in other shooting games, and the various gadgets that you can craft allows you to use your imagination when engaging a group of hostiles. You could stealth kill a couple enemies, bait the rest into a confined area from the sound of a tossed bottle and have a nail bomb waiting to greet them. Or perhaps you’re low on supplies and will have to manage by tossing that bottle at an enemy and race towards your dazed target to use him as a human shield while gunning down the rest of your foes. The Last of Us offers incredible replay value with its new game plus feature. There are around 10 upgradable weapons, 7 different skills and a dozen training manuals that carry over into NG+. You’ll feel like a juggernaut once everything’s maxed out and will have a ton of fun adventuring through future playthroughs with all your previous equipment and collectibles. The Last of Us features the best gameplay Naughty Dog has offered yet.

Naughty Dog has no limits when it comes to creativity. The Last of Us will have other developers quaking at the prospect to match the quality of this masterpiece. I had very high and unrealistic expectations for this new release, and I *still* got what I expected and more. The Last of Us induced emotional reactions from me that few Hollywood movies have accomplished. The Witcher 2 will most likely remain as my favorite game of all time, but I’ve never been immersed into a video game this much since The Witcher 2’s release back in mid-2011. From a climactic cut scene making me shed a tear to laughing at Ellie’s silly joke book, The Last of Us has given me an unforgettable gaming experience and won me over for game of the year for 2013. This was, by far, the most gratifying 60 dollars I’ve spent in a long, long time.
  38. Jul 6, 2013
    I'm a huge fan of post-apocalyptic games such as The Last of Us, but for some reason I just didn't pay this game any mind. After hearing about how good it was and being told by just about everyone to get it I decided to finally try it out. I'm glad I did because The Last of Us is one of the best games I've ever played. It's a perfect example of how to make a video game a perfect cinematic experience without sacrificing anything in the gameplay department. It's a survival game with a fantastic story and characters. Having to constantly scrounge around for supplies really gives you the feeling that you're doing whatever it takes to survive in this harsh world. Combat is always intense and brutal. I have to give special praise to the games satisfying melee combat because it's truly awesome. By far the best part of the story mode is the actual story. I don't want to spoil anything but I can tell you that it's an emotional tale filled with characters so human you can't help but care about them. The multiplayer is also a lot of fun and something different than the norm. You choose one of two factions and battle it out for supplies to grow your own virtual faction and keep them alive. The actual gameplay revolves around teamwork and making smart use of your limited supplies. Even in multiplayer you'll be scrounging to survive. The Last of Us is a fantastic experience that pull you in and wont let you go. Go pick it up now, if you don't you wont just be missing out on one of the best games of this year, but also one of the best games of all time. Expand
  39. Aug 21, 2013
    The Last of Us is a REALLY difficult game to review. On one hand, it has hands down the best story, characterizations and acting I've ever come across in a game. It even puts the likes of Telltale's The Walking Dead to shame. The game makes you feel sad and angry at all the right moments. It is absolutely perfect in that regard and a new benchmark for gaming. That said, gameplay wise, The Last of Us often treads uneven ground. The game is very repetitive. You enter an area, kill or sneak past a finite amount of enemies and then escape that area via a ladder wheely bin garage door floating pallet. Then you enter the next area and do exactly the same. Aside from aesthetic changes, there is almost no deviation in this routine. Why Joel and Ellie can seemingly always find a ladder or pallet whenever they need one is quite the mystery indeed. It kind of reminds me of the old Adam west Batman TV show, where the Bats had a repellent for every known situation ever developed (shark repellent bear repellent heterosexual repellent... etc). The sheer stupidity of that mechanic broke immersion many, many times. The combat is decent enough. The human enemy A.I is nice, with lots of flanking and cover tactics being employed. The stealthy monster takedowns feel very gamey and arena based but they're OK too. The difficulty can be pretty harsh at times. This was a game that I had to repeat many different sections of. It can get frustrating because the checkpoint system sends you right back to the start of the 'arena' you're in, sometimes deleting a fair amount of hard-fought progress. Overall, The Last of Us was a very memorable experience. There was far too much stupidity and frustration in the gameplay for it to be perfect but that story... Wow! Expand
  40. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. All around amazing!! I just recommend to at least give it a try before you make your own decision. From start to finish this game is incredible, amazing story which is expected since this game comes from the same studio that developed uncharted (naughtydog). Visuals are fantastic, fighting and stealth kills are very unique and fun. I will not be surprised if this game wins a tone of goty awards. This is definitely my game of the year. Like I said before it is definitely worth playing for yourself. Expand
  41. Sep 5, 2013
    This is a truly brilliant game. Most of the brilliance comes from the story and the way in which it is told. More brilliance comes from the way you engage with the story through gameplay, and the compelling emotion which the game is able to make you feel the entire way through. You really get to feel what the characters are feeling and you can empathise with their situations.

An often
    overlooked part of a game is its audio. The Last of Us does a superb job with a fitting score. The audio is also very important gameplay wise as the infected will react to the sounds you are producing, and for the player it is very important to be able to hear when they are coming towards you from around a corner. The quality of the audio is excellent, accompanied with excellent voice actors who really mean what they are saying.

The graphics are also excellent for a current-generation game. The environments are beautiful and if you stop and smell the roses then you will see the amazing amount of detail which they have managed to cram into every area. It really feels like you are in a post-apocalyptic world.

The Last of Us is an experience which you won't forget.
  42. Jun 22, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece. Great single player mode and fantastic online mode.Online mode is so good its addictive.What a way to end the ps3 with a last exclusive.I can see why all critics are giving this game a glowing review.Absolutely wonderful.
  43. Jun 15, 2013
    The Last of Us is a masterpiece. The story is heartwarming and the characters are incredible. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson are amazing in The Last of Us. The gameplay gives you some amazing AI with intense combat, cool crafting elements and freedom, most areas let you explore to (in most cases) a great extend which will help make the game last longer (which I clocked in 14+ hours on my first run on hard). The graphics and environments are beautiful and just a sight to look at (and that's not even considering how old the hardware is). The metal system from Uncharted 1 and 2 have returned in the form of 'tags' which extend your replay value as well as many collectibles and hard trophies. You also have the 'survivor' difficulty to handle and lots of cool goodies to play with (like a Jak & Daxter T-shirt for Ellie). There was one point near the end of the game that showed just how powerful the story is that just really touched me so deeply, it was that moment I said I don't care about the minor glitches with the AI, I' am giving this game a 10 out of 10... My first 10/10 (with me giving Uncharted 2 a 9.9)! I have not yet played the multiplayer of the game, but regardless of how good or bad it could be, The Last of Us is the one video game you must absolutely play in your lifetime.

44. Jul 26, 2013
    A masterpiece that redefines what games can accomplish at multiple levels. Excelent storytelling, great mechanics, addictive gameplay and technically the most advanced current gen game.
  45. Jul 8, 2013
    The Last of Us is the best game I've played so far this Year and it the best survival/horror game I've ever played. And I'm not a survival/horror fan, at all.The Last of Us is The Red Dead Redemption of 2013. I haven't seen a movie this year that was as well acted or emotionally gripping as The Last of Us not to mention the outstanding action sequences and genuinely "scary" moments. What a great game to end the PS3 era with. Masterpiece! and a strong counter point to those who don't consider games to be a relevant art form. Expand
  46. Jun 16, 2013
    This game truly innovates at its own pace, the story is compelling, the graphics are stunning and the game design immerses you in a daunting post apocalyptic future.
  47. Jun 17, 2013
    There isn't much to say about The Last of Us besides the fact that it's a thrill ride that can keep you on the edge of your seat from beginning to end; the premise itself could be said to be a cliched had it not brought an extreme amount of emotion to me throughout the bonding moments between the protagonists; Joel and Ellie. Along with the happiness that could be offered with their conversations tears can also be provoked from the games opening that may possibly be the saddest opening to any story that I have ever seen; this being said about the games beginning the tension and suspense that is felt from the games final moments are also the strong point for The Last of Us while being just as emotional as it's opening moments if not even more. Enough about the games emotional points the key point of the gameplay is to forge to survive and craft your weapons to your best advantage; Naughty Dog succeeds on a larger level than I could have ever though possible after playing through scavenging for tools and scraps to craft several items that are required to complete your journey west, such as shivs, first-aid kits, and even molotov Along with the great crafting system something that constantly plagues games in our modern market is the poor artificial intelligence, but with The Last of Us this will only be a problem for someone who gets upset from being outmaneuvered by a computer controlled bot as this game proves to have AI that works together to find a tactical advantage over the player. In my closing remarks I have to say that The Last of Us is a MUST PLAY game that constantly had me saying out loud "I can't believe this was created by Naughty Dog" due to it's dark tone and unforgiving characters. Stop reading now and buy it full price. Expand
  48. Jul 5, 2013
    Naughty Dog, Inc. through The Last of Us created a world where every punch hurts like hell, every bullet counts and most amazingly, every moment is a blessing because unlike most games, it shows the joys of being alive and how easily one can lose it in a bat of an eye.

The development of the bond between the two main characters Joel and Ellie was realistic that by the end of the game
    I knew them more than I know my own goddamn family. This is survival genre at it's finest, decisions are as grey as it can be and most of the time you aren't left with much of a choice leading you to flip a coin. It's a harsh, brutal outlook of the world where the only thing that makes you keep going is the simple fact that you aren't alone in this.

The story is not about reaching the final objective, but the journey through which how two strangers with two very different backgrounds move away from constantly looking for the other to backstab to slowly build a father-daughter relationship. In the end, players will ask what is the difference between the right thing to do and something which 'feels right'.

Beautiful game, great visuals, fantastic characters and a fantastically realized harsh but authentic world makes the Last of Us not only the best game I've ever played, but also I never invested so much emotions in any form of entertainment media. It is a masterpiece.

49. Jun 21, 2013
    This game is unrivaled in everything it succeeds at... which is everything that it does. Undoubtedly one of the greatest games of this (or any) generation. The PS3's swan song is a testament to what games have become; story-driven epics that bring out all human emotion.

The Last of Us is truly a masterpiece and anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.
  50. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't want to spoil any of the story so I'll get right to the point; The Last of Us takes all the WORST parts of the Uncharted series (the stealth and sneaking) and stretches it out across 12 hours of gameplay. This is THE MOST overrated game I have ever played. I cannot believe people are trying to say this game is "the best game ever" and better than Uncharted 3, which was an utter masterpiece, or better than this years BioShock Infinite, which was another amazing game. I went to the midnight launch and beat the game in one sitting so I didn't have to deal with the horrible save-game bug right now that prevents you from saving your progress, so I'm not even factoring that horrible oversight into my review. Honestly though, save yourself $60 and put that money towards a next-gen console. The multiplayer is also incredibly generic and unbalanced. Whoever wins the first round wins the entire match because they can instantly afford a set of armor at the start of the next round which allows you to take twice as much damage before dying. I'm utterly shocked by the metascore the critics have given this game. What can you expect though, SCEA published games almost always have a full point or two higher metacritic scores than they deserve, who the hell knows why. Expand
  51. Jun 30, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. I stopped playing this game about 1/3 in. 1 week later I watched the online play through just for story, so I know what the fuzz will be about when we will be talking about this game later, as I am sure many of my friends will do. As for me, I didn't like it. It felt like a really simple game with very easy puzzles, who required nothing from you but looking around for stuff like a scavenger fool. Don't get me wrong, the opening was great, but after playing Bioshock:Infinite, I guess I was spoiled as the companion in that game was much better than the ones in this one, in regards to mechanism. If you stealth, they run around like idiots. If you swim across a place, your companion would use powerpuff magic to get to you. It does not feel as real as in Bioshock, and it makes it feel like the companion are just put into the game to not get in your way and be a conversationalist.

Further on everyone are irrational idiots in this world. The environment and atmosphere does not collude with how the world is presented. If you even payed the slightest attention in the nature science classes or even the social sciences, you'd know some of the approaches done in this game are beyond stupid. It's like they wiped the world of anyone with a brain and left the idiots in charge, just to give you an excuse for a game. You have thriving wildlife, nature working just fine and the only problem are a bunch of people who can bite you and some underground fungus. I mean after you are done you've pretty much cleared a whole area of infected people, and could alone be the guardian of humanity, as these people represent no bigger threat than a bad neighborhood. Hell a 14 year old girl are wiping the floor with them, and could easily be cleared by the local militia in a matter of weeks. The fungus are not more dangerous than you can walk through it with a gas mask, you even have a god damn smuggling route through it regularly, yet this is just too hard to eradicate? Like, Come on! Also wtf is the obsession for a cure, from the looks of things you don't need it as the local crime lord packs a bigger punch than the infected ever will. The main character I could not relate to, as he was murdering people left and right "because he have to in order to survive" which is a reason judged from the circumstances, only true in words "because we told you so" and not from a real threat presented in the game. Also he never even considered handing over Ellie to the proper authorities and instead goes through hell for an untrusted weak terrorist organization. Again, the stupidity is beyond what I can fathom. And I get it, this is not the real world, you have to accept some thing in order to keep the story going. Mass Effect was not great because they gave you schematics for their relay stations, but when they try to emerge you as a person into a game, and they try to make that game a survival horror based on what could happen in reality, then I feel that you should require somewhat realistic behavior and not boil it down to "I'm a tough guy who can take care of a 14 year old in a post zombified world".

Now maybe this game is just not for me, I'm not a big fan of zombie games in general, though I don't dislike them either. I guess there will be no one to read this in the end, as I am on the wrong side of the mainstream fence on this one, but I guess I'll just write this for myself to help me understand why I didn't like it. I expected greatness, I expected a really good story, I expected immersion with my companions and character on a level of the best RPGs, and all I got was this world full of irrational idiots, a story about getting from A to B and a main character with zero choice other than making a fool out of himself over and over and over again.
  52. Jun 17, 2013
    I suspect the main thing dividing the reviews in this, in so far as they are divided, is age. This is not a violent teen power fantasy, it is a game where the brutality and soul-leeching consequences of violence are put on display, at least more than most games in this genre, and without being at all preachy. The developers concentrate on conveying a feeling of tense desperation, and succeed far more often then they fail, at least in my case.The crunch on ammunition forces you to scrabble around the world looking for things to improvise as weapons, not for the sake of completionism, but out of need.

It is possible it should have even catered less to the adrenaline crowd the haters are right in one thing. Overall the gameplay is fairly down the main existing lines, with some solid level and environment designs, and decent set-pieces.

But if you can get caught up in it, like most of the people reviewing here, the experience is pretty amazing.
  53. Jun 16, 2013
    A great game and naughty dog always seems to bring something new to gameplay making slight adjustments without risking too much and it worked. I noticed most people complained about the AI but seriously what game has perfect AI? Its got amazing singleplayer but thats not just all it also has multiplayer for people who like to compete. I think the story was byfar the best naughty dog has ever done and i was so emotionally attached to this game i didn't ever want it to end. Expand
  54. Jun 26, 2013
    This game is a tough game to review. It seemed simple for "professional" reviewers to go and give perfect scores. I can't.

I understand why people like this game. I get the whole emotional angle Naughty Dog is trying to sell. But my experience although good taken as a whole was at times so bad I almost didn't finish the game.

Number 1: The combat sucks. It is just a stupid 3rd person
    shooter with crafting and RPG elements. Occasionally stealth is involved. There are moments perfectly crafted with great pacing and great balance of gameplay and set pieces. Than there are stupid moments. Teleporting zombies, human enemies that flank you no matter where you are(they go through walls apparently). Sadly these moments are not rare and for every good combat gameplay piece there is a stupidly broken one. Maybe it's just the way I played. I don't know, if you enjoy this type of BS or don't really care you will have a better experience. To me the gameplay feels like a filler between emotional cut scenes and set pieces. And that's bad. Also BOSS FIGTS. For the love of God. BOSS FIGHTS.

Number 2: The story is at best OK. They chose a fungus as the reason for the zombie apocalypse and than they go nowhere with it. Every single character that dies, dies because of zombie bites. You know, that cliché. Where they get bit and they hide it. It happens twice because once was not enough. Also the writing is mind blowing bad. "We've got to get out of here" and it's many variants are used constantly along with all the other cliché lines Hollywood has been using for years. The ending is stupid also but I will not spoil it for you(there really is nothing to spoil).

Number 3: Even with all these game breaking flaws I enjoyed the game enough to finish it. So I gave it a 7/10 because emotional cut scenes aside there's just nothing here. You can just watch the cut scenes on youtube and get the best this game has to offer without the unremarkable gameplay.
  55. Jun 14, 2013
    The story was soooooo good it got me off my seat. The visuals and details are spot on I could spend hours looking around. The voice acting was awesome. This is one of my contenders for game of the year by far. Good job naughty dog another masterpiece
  56. Sep 9, 2013
    It's a shame that Xbox only gamers can't play this game because it truly deserves game of the year title. The story is an emotional, most dramatic struggle to escort a young girl across the dangerous wasteland to safety. It's a game that adult gamers like me are always looking for, yet they are so few an far in between. Combat is tough with very little room for mistakes. Some might be turned off by this who would rather play games that allows them to sustain massive amount of damage, but I believe in a genre game like this, the combat fits in perfectly. Naughty Dog was already the masters of great graphics, but this game really tops everything they've done so far from the graphics, texture and lighting, it's all marvelous. I don't do multiplayer, so I can't comment on that aspect. But basing the score on single player alone...it's an easy ten. Expand
  57. Jun 15, 2013
    Amazing game, great levels and story events, but it don't deserve a score that high. It's a stealth/action third person game like many others. I would compare it to Hitman: Absolution with poorer graphics and a better storyline.
  58. Jun 19, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last of Us is one of the best movies I've ever seen. It's gritty and heartfelt and perfectly acted and eerily beautiful and all the other stuff all the 10/10 reviews say.

But why is it being sold as a game?? I'm not sure you can call it a game at all.

The one (and only) thing a game can offer, that a movie can't, is choice. It can put you in situations you've never been in before to let you explore your own psychology. It can offer you power, or joy, or terror, with the illusion that you are actually inhabiting, not just watching, a character.

Joel makes the choice of a lifetime in the last act of the game. The entire world is broken. People are dying and suffering. It's not clear whether humanity is looking at an extinction level event. And he can personally fix it all. He can go down as humanity's Messiah. But to do that, he has to sacrifice the person he loves most in the world, the girl who's become a daughter to him. The little girl who loves him and trusts him unconditionally, he has to betray her and sign off on her murder.

If this were a Bioware game or a Bethesda game, we'd be forced to make that agonizing choice. There would be consequences to our decisions; there would be multiple endings; there would be different ways the story could unfold, based on how we shape it.

In The Last of Us, we just watch passively, helplessly, as Joel makes his decision. The game tells us "And then Joel shot the guard in the balls. Here's a hallway full of soldiers. Clear it."

That is not a game. That's like... being in a Skinner Box, where your reward is cutscenes rather than cheese. This is a movie that keeps putting itself on pause and saying "Want to see more? Well, then, go swim underwater and find a pallet and shove it over to Ellie and shove it against the wall!" It's no fun at all to do that, but we dutifully perform the task because we want to see the rest of the movie.

So... why not just make it a movie? Why make a digital Ellen Page in the first place? Was the real one just not available?

Sure, there are Skinner Box sections that are actually kind of fun to clear. The infected are really no fun at all to deal with, but the fights with the hunters, with the cannibals, those are fun. But they're not groundbreaking in any way. As a hybrid stealth/action shooter, I'm going to say that I think Metal Gear Solid 3 plays significantly better. Joel always feels heavy, clumsy, sluggish. Snake's more fun to play with. And MGS3 was nine years ago.

You know, I think that picking the right media for your art is important. If a movie came out in theaters that's just an hour of watching a masterpiece of a painting while an incredible concept album played in the background critics would universally pan it. They'd say "This is a painting and an album. One star."

So why is it that when a game comes out that's actually just a movie, critics respond with universal acclaim?? I don't get it.
  59. Jul 2, 2013
    The saying saving it's best for last has never seemed more appropriate. The PS3 may very well have waited until it's dying embers before unleashing arguably it's greatest game upon us. I knew this game would be good. Let's be honest, you don't make Uncharted games and not give us a decent game but I wasn't prepared for this. The Last of Us is astonishingly amazing. It might turn out to be the game that defines the PS3. It's extraordinary!! Any PS3 owner who doesn't own this doesn't deserve to have the console. It's a masterpiece from start to finish. The game follows the journey of Joel and Ellie, who travel across a post-apocalyptic America in 2033 following the outbreak of a mutant cordyceps as they seek The Fireflies, a resistance group who believe Ellie has the cure to save the world. The story is captivating and an emotional tour-de-force throughout. Never has a game touched me so much as this. Its full of emotional highs and lows where every decision has a consequence as you battle zombie-like infected mutants, bandits and cannibals as you battle across a savaged USA. The setting is actually stunning. The post-apocalyptic America is mesmerising and so authentic. Naughty Dog really have raised the bar once again. The scenery is beautiful. And graphically, this is as good as it gets. It's frightening to think what Naughty Dog will have instore with next gen. The gameplay is near flawless. Much like Uncharted but more free flowing. The environments really play a vital part and the stealth aspect was a splendid inclusion. It really makes you as the gamer in charge of the method you wish to complete the game because enemies react differently depending on your approach. Your also able to craft weapons during the game which again is genius! The story is where The Last of Us is truly exceptional. It's such a rewarding and exhilarating experience. Right from the tragic beginning to the contentious ending. It's an unforgettable game The journey and the experience alone are awesome. You feel part of Joel and Ellie's story. And there relationship is at the heart of the story. It blossoms beautifully throughout. In conclusion this could well be the ultimate game available. In terms of an all round package, it's unmissable. It showcases exactly what the PS3 does best. And at it's very best. The Last of Us is not only n imperative purchase for any PS3 owner but the must have game of the year! Expand
  60. Jun 16, 2013
    Last Of Us is an action oriented 3rd person shooter with some survival moments. The story is what makes this game epic! The story is deep and captivating and you'll love the main characters. Fighting to survive in a world of doom is something a lot of developers are doing nowadays. Naughty Dog found the middle road between a great story and entertaining game play. The story takes place at the beginning of the outbreak and takes you across the country meeting new NPC's and discovering new areas. Spectacular graphics and great voice acting also help tell this epic story (one of the best cinematics up to now). Notable game play elements are, the shooting mechanics and cover system are one of the best I've seen to date (smooth and responsive). Crafting ability is simple to understand and use. You can also upgrade your characters skills and weapons. For me the most disappointing thing was there just was too much combat as I was expecting less. In combat situations Naughty Dog does give you the option to either do stealth or guns a blazing if you prefer. For casual gamers I recommend to put this game on easy setting so you can enjoy the story with less frustration at certain times. At the end I was greatly satisfied with The Last OF Us and I do recommend buying this one. Expand
  61. Jun 30, 2013
    I have to say more of the same. The Last of Us is not only this best, the most important game of THIS generation. It is, probably, one of the best, most important gaming experiences ever conceived. I don't know where to start, honestly. So I will use this review just to say one thing: if you care about games, if you play them, if games are something you take seriously, I BEG you don't miss this one out. I don't need to talk about graphics, text, voice acting, gameplay etc etc. The videos and reviews are all praising all those things. What I will say is that never before had I such a deep, emotional, haunting experience. It got me thrilled, excited, sad, juggling laughter and tears in equal portions. This is more than a game. It's the perfect film, the perfect book, the perfect song. And, call me crazy, a beautiful memory as well. I will never forget this game. Expand
  62. Aug 26, 2013
    The Last of Us is a game that can most accurately be described as Uncharted (with Zombies). It has it's moments, but quickly becomes a repetitive mess of menial tasks that provide you with little to no gratification. The story is it's most redeeming quality, but even that feels a bit overdone. But hey, zombies. They're everyone's favorite cliche nowadays.
  63. Jun 17, 2013
    After the first 3 hours or so, this game really opens up. It's boring til that point, but then becomes something you can't put down. The graphics are beautiful and the story is incredibly well-written. You feel a bond with them and genuinely want to see them succeed.
  64. Jul 7, 2013
    Any title as well reviewed as the Last of Us will always be a target for people looking for attention. All I can say is ignore them because this is undoubtedly one of the games of the current console generation.

Anything this ambitious will of course have a few minor flaws (the most noticeable being the odd occasion in which your companion stands out in the open and doesn’t get seen)
    but these are easy to ignore thanks to the virtually perfect mix of cinematic storytelling and superbly tense gameplay that kept me enthralled for the entire 17 hours it took me to complete it. If you don’t own a PS3 there is no better reason to buy one than The Last of Us. Expand
  65. Jun 16, 2013
    Beautiful graphics, nice acting and writing and that tried-and-true Naughty Dog cinematic action brings a creepy, but shallow swan song to the PS3. I must admit I got tired of walking around in the pitch dark with my flashlight trying to find some arbitrary hole I'm supposed to climb through. I also was disappointed with the combat which, while tense at first, soon became a slog that i wanted to get over with.
    The infected, with their fungal growths ripping through their bodies, are truly horrific and are bound to give me a nightmare or two.
    Really good game, but Uncharted 2 is Naughty Dogs masterpiece, in my opinion.
  66. Sep 29, 2013
    The Last Of Us is an amazing game with an amazing graphics and a great story. The characters are great, I really fell in love with Ellie and this was actually the first game I cried during the game :D. So, the story is great, graphics are great, characters are great, but when it comes to the gameplay, it was nothing special, it was okay, but it was not smooth enough for my taste. The game is amazing, but it's a game so for me the gameplay is the most important thing and that's why I can't give it 10/10, but I'm really looking forward what kind of masterpiece ND will make for PS4, and if they make TLOU 2 with better graphics, it will probably get 10/10 from me. Expand
  67. Jul 8, 2013
    This is honestly the greatest game I have ever played sure there are a few 'slight' glitches and moments you're reminded that it is 'just a game', but the fact that your brain needs to be reminded of this just goes to show how enthralling it really is. I don't think I've ever been more emotionally invested in a story than I was in this game, even on a second playthrough when I knew what was coming, it still got me right in the feels.

As far as gameplay goes don't expect call of duty. This is predominantly a stealth game, and this is where it shines approaching each situation cautiously and planning your every move with the limited supplies you have is the way the game was meant to be played, and when you know you only have 3 bullets and 5 enemies to take out, things can get really tense as a slight slip up will leave you sprinting desparately for cover when you're spotted and bandits open fire, or you hear the dreaded screech of a stalker in the sewers beginning his charge.

Live this game, invest yourself in it and you will love it. Since completing this game I haven't actually been able to get into any other new games, they just feel so shallow and pointless now... This game will stay with me for a LONG time.
  68. Aug 20, 2013
    Boring, linear. Just another scripted action game. No challenges. I expected much more from a game with such high praises. Once again it's clear that the review industry has no clue about what the gamer really wants.
  69. Jun 17, 2013
    I would give this game a 12 if I had the chance. i never played a game that moved me like this game in 25 years of gaming. Such a mature game which hits at all spots..graphics, animations, characters, storytelling, emotional impact. Just unbelievable this is possible on a 7 year old machine.
    I can not understand how you could rate this less than a 10. Anyone rating this low simply didn't
    understand it or likes to hate/is a fan-boy. Expand
  70. Jun 25, 2013
    Okay, this is the final review update. There is stuff mentoned some pricks may consider a minor spoilers.

After the prologue, where you can already drool over borderline next-gen graphics, game slows to a crawl and stays there for some 4-5 hours about 1/4 of the whole game. During that time, not much interesting happens, you'll just learn about the game mechanics and weird and somewhat
    clunky control scheme.

You may also notice a bunch of bugs and graphical glitches the game has quite a lot of those, especially when compared to Uncharted games.

Eventually you'll meet the guy named Bill and things will slowly get better. You'll start to get the hang of stealth and combat and, more importantly, the story of Joel and Ellie will start grow on you. To be honest, caring about the main characters is the main drive of the whole game, because while stealth will get good, it never quite gets great and shooting on its own felt kinda crappy all the way till the end.

The resulting mix of stealth and action does however feel very natural and not being for various AI cheats, The Last of Us would have passed for a great stealth game. But the AI cheats and that kinda undermines your efforts to stay hidden. Enemies sometims just start walking towards you for no reason, or some script will send them your way, or reinforcements will come from who knows where, already aware of your position, etc. The hearing mechanics that allows you to detect enemies behind obstacles if they are making noise does not work on those in "other areas" and it is not good when "nobody around" turns into "four guys right in front of you" just because you walked through some door or went up the stairs.

AI cheating is probably the problem #1 I have with this game. There are various less important things there, actualy there is quite a lot of them TLoU certainly could use more polish on many fronts but I'd say that only the AI related stuff has serious impact on gamplay. (Ok, maybe some "levels" like hotel or campus could be shorter and the part in the snowstorm was boring pain in the ass.)

Relationship between Joel and Elie is the meat of the story the events through the game are but a way to shape that relationship and the ending, while emotionaly strong, was quite predictable in its conclusion.

At first I thought TLoU is a failed game that I Am Alive is a better choice with similiar atmosphere. But nah, the strengths of The Last of Us lie elsewhere. You have to endure some mediocore gameplay to get to the good stuff, but in the end it was worth it. It won't be a GOTY for me, but it is definitely up there.
  71. Sep 12, 2013
    One of the best games of all time, definitely in Top 10 at least. I bought my PS3 for this game (and with the added bonus of other great games of course).
  72. Jun 23, 2013
    I had a lukewarm feeling about this game after seeing gameplay videos leading up to the release, but I bought it anyway based on all the glowing reviews. The story is very well done, but the gameplay is just not fun and repetitive. The world seems very believable, but I just wanted to get to the next level for the story alone, not because I was enjoying play it. All in all, an average game, and I really am mystified by the high user score. I would have expected 8.0 at best. I really loved the Uncharted series and I feel this is a step backwards. Expand
  73. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last Of Us is officially the best game I have ever played. The story is outstanding and brilliant the moment the game starts it hooks you in with the magnificent story. Naughty dog has done an absolute outstanding job with this game and it shows through out the game. The graphics is brilliant and stunning in beauty. The Game play is brilliant the best game play i have ever seen in a game and the controls is extremely smooth and easy to learn. If you have played all 3 uncharted games and thought they were good wait until you play the last of us you will not be disappointed.The last of us is the game to beat for game the year. If you loved uncharted I recommend strongly you play the last of us it will leave you hooked and glued to your TV screen for hours upon hours. I f you have an Xbox 360 trade it in get a PS3 and play this game no Xbox game will ever be as good as the last of us. If naughty dog created such and amazing game that even the critics have given it top scores I cannot wait to see what naughty dog has in store for us in the future. Expand
  74. Aug 28, 2013
    This game is as close to perfect as any game to date. The story is compelling and a tension unmatched in any other zombie games. I am normally bored by stealth games but the threat of immediate death makes you creep like you've never crept before. Light moments also release the pressure and give your pulse a chance to go down. I sold this game as soon as I completed it as I didn't want to taint the story. Loved this game, bring on a new story in a sequel. Expand
  75. Jun 15, 2013
    Pros: Excellent graphics for the nearly eight year old PS3 with consistently smooth frame rates and animations. The level design is not very complex, but the attention to detail is astounding. I never felt like I was visiting the same place twice. Areas are also designed in such a way that multiple paths or styles of play are possible for completing them. Great story, believable and memorable characters. Superb voice acting. The crafting system is not revolutionary but, because multiple items require the same materials, forces you to make tough decisions regarding what you think you will need and what kind of play style you're going for. For example, molotovs and med packs use the same supplies, so you're forced to balance increased offense with survival. Also, because crafting takes place in real time and because you can only carry a limited amount of equipment, you can't simply pause the game to craft a bomb and then throw it at your foes. Combat and stealth are really tense and every shot counts. You absolutely cannot run and gun this game.

Cons: Sometimes you have to figure out how to traverse certain areas in the game, a bit of light puzzle solving. But all of this boils down to searching an area for a ladder or plank and becomes pretty transparent after the first few times. Character movements and animations can sometimes get a bit clippy. When in melee combat a number of times, attacks would not connect when enemy NPCs were in certain animations. Additionally, my melee attacks also pushed NPCs into terrain or objects making me unable to hit them, but they were still able to attack me. I was forced to back up a bit and leave myself open to other attacks just so the NPC I was attacking would get itself unstuck. The stealth segments are great, but tend to break the immersion when you have Ellie or other friendly NPCs following you. Certain zombies in the game use sonar and are attracted to loud noises. You have to crouch and move very carefully, but the NPCs following you will often sprint short distances when these zombies are only a few yards away and no enemies are alerted. When sneaking around human NPCs, those following you will sometimes expose themselves trying to keep up with you but again not get detected by the enemy NPCs. I admit the game would be unnecessarily difficult if goofy AI quirks broke your stealth, but once you figure this out, stealth segments are far less challenging than they first appear.

The multiplayer at first glance appears tacked on, but the real time crafting is a major component of the gameplay. Sneaking around with your team, scavenging materials, and crafting equipment to use against your enemies is ridiculously rewarding. The multiplayer levels are well designed, too.

Even though I've never been a fan of the Uncharted games, I find The Last of Us way more enjoyable. The characters are more believable, the story is more engaging, and while the gameplay in some ways has less to offer, the real time crafting, tension, and pace of combat are way more impactful than what Uncharted offered.
  76. Aug 4, 2013
    Let me start off by saying; this was not a 10/10 experience for me, hence the rating. I played through this on hard difficulty. Combat is a fairly large part of the game, and I couldn't enjoy it. It might be that I am not used to aiming with a stick. But its not just the gunplay I have problems with. The AI; your companions ofttimes runs into enemies, however, as long as you are in stealth, they are invisible to the enemy AI. The infected (even the ones that scream constantly) will hear you unless you sneak extremely slowly, humans don't hear your steps at all as long as you are crouched. Humans in cover knows you are aiming at them and will not uncover unless you look away. Even if you slay people (with endless ammo?) there are small chances of them dropping ANYTHING. There are too much to mention, and all these things makes many encounters annoying. But don't get me wrong, encounters can still be very enjoyable. If you manage to sneak past several guys unnoticed, or "make every bullet count."

The moments between the encounters is when this game really shines. It is incredibly well made; the world and environments are really detailed. This makes exploring a joy. The relationship between the main characters is not something you usually get served in a game. It's brilliant, and it the main reason this game is epic. Pay good attention to the story and it will reward you with some philosophical questions, worthy of your thoughts. But, it's brutal and unpredictable. I think some people might not like this. Don't expect a Hollywood flick with glitter and happy endings... Great atmosphere. Great animations. Great graphics. I've run out of things to say.
  77. Feb 28, 2014
    This is an Epic survival zombie game with a great story that takes place in a post-apocalyptic world with nice detailed scenery. The stealthing is smooth and gun (or bow!) -slinging feels proper. I really like that there is a natural dialogue between the characters as you play through the game. It has a good gameplay design, but one thing I didn't like about it is that you upgrade your weapons. I have grown a bit tired of all the unlocks and leveling up in games these days, but its a minor detail here. Playing this title is an experience and it is one of my favourite games of ALL times! Expand
  78. Jun 17, 2013
    Ok... in the past I have given games 10. After playing this game, I realize I have to go back and take all of the 10s back and give them 7s, 8s, or 9s at best. This game isn't perfect, but it is close. I was fully engrossed in every aspect of the game. Story. Characters. Beautiful graphics. Environment. AMAZING emotion and heart! Anyone giving this game a low score is a fan boy of other systems and are just mad that they don't have a PS3. This game is worth the price of a PS3 alone, even right before the release of the PS4. I immediately started it again once I finished it. I have NEVER done that before. I am now declaring this as my favorite game of all time. Sorry RE4 and Bioshock. Expand
  79. Jun 16, 2013
    Will keep this quick and simple. The first 20 mins are terrific. The father and daughter experiencing the beginning of the outbreak. This is where the story should have started. Not 20 years later. Would have made a much better game having to protect her. Second the graphics are great in some areas and bad in others. AI is dodgy to where stealth doesn't matter. Oh and the boring "gotta take out hoodlums" gets old real fast. It has its ups and downs but definitely didn't like the story. Like I said they should have stuck to the three characters in the beginning. The scores by Gamespot and some others are rational. The others are plainly just kissing ass. Worth a rental. Expand
  80. Aug 20, 2013
    I had super high expectations for this game. I think anyone would with all the ridiculously high reviews it was getting from journalists/players alike. The prologue was a 10/10 no doubt. It was pretty standard zombie apocalypse fanfare, but it was so well-presented.

After the prologue I was super hyped. Then the real game started. To sum it up I'd say it's super-generic stealth
    gameplay. There is nothing unique or innovative about it. It's been done a million times in other games. Now I'm not a fan of innovation for innovation's sake, but compared to the relatively high quality of the game's also somewhat generic but well-presented story, characters, dialogue, and voice acting, the gameplay sticks out like a sore thumb. To me it just wasn't fun. I found myself dreading the gameplay segments and wanting more story.

If I were to rate TLoU on its story, characters, etc I'd give it an 8, maybe 8.5. But as a video game where gameplay is the most important factor (in my opinion), I can't give it more than a 6/10.
  81. Jun 19, 2013
    I am speechless, absolutely flawless. What an experience! This is some milestone type of game for the video game industry right there. Naughty Dog really over got over themselves. Imagine what they can do with the Playstation 4, can't wait!
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    I will mention only graphic here. While the graphic slowdown and jaggies occasionally happen, its just a reminder of how old PS3 is, not the lag of talent of Naught Dog team. The lighting and shadow casting are the best in games. But the most important thing is this game had presences the most beautiful apocalypse world ever made. Developers had taken great care on building every detail of the whole city to the smallest detail. The roads, trees, toys, books, posters and everything had been crafted and destructed perfectly to make you believe. Just travelling around the game is worth $60. I can't hardly wait to see this game and more Naughty Dog's games on PS4. Expand
  83. Nov 8, 2013
    One of the best games ever from a story and character development standpoint. People saying this is just a movie? Sure it has 3 hours of cut-scenes, but 10-13 hours of gameplay. This story is so gripping, no other game has made you feel so attached to the characters. This is a masterpiece.
  84. Sep 11, 2013
    The Last of Us can easily be, in my opinion, the best PS3 game that Sony has ever released. Naughty Dog's contribution to this gen console is above and beyond your basic third person action game. The world they've created with the Last of Us is believable as well as tense. Within the first five minutes you feel for Joel as this pandemic hits him especially hard and the game uses the moment to tug at your emotions to where you want to put yourself in its place. The game is taut, filled with suspense, and makes you think of what people will actually do to survive day by day and you ask yourself, what if this was me. If you haven't played this game yet you are missing out on one of the best experiences that the PlayStation 3 has to offer. If you do not have a PS3 then buy one, because this game will not let you down. Expand
  85. Jun 23, 2013
    A perfect 10! What else needs to be said about this masterpiece...This is the first game that had such an emotional impact on me that I found myself tear up twice throughout the campaign. If you want to see what a team at the absolute top of their game can produce check out Naughty Dog's masterwork. It's probably the most amazing game of this entire generation. Multiplayer is a nice mix of uncharted and gears of war and is extremely fun to play. One of the best new franchises in years and a true model of why games are an art form. Expand
  86. Dec 30, 2013
    We are now within the final years of the PS3, and Naughty Dog decided to make them the finest. It's like they took "Uncharted", "Resistance" and "Heavy Rain" together, and made what we call "The Last of Us". I'm no fan of horror games, so I don't know how their supposed to be in general, but to me this game was very scary. The stealth sections just intensify that fear; so much that I feel like going guns blazing to get over it. And while you can go gun blazing, it has its costs: you put yourself and other allies at greater risk, and you end up wasting ammo. Speaking of ammo, you really must conserve as you can't carry much, and finding ammo is rare. And when you do find it, it's not much. So use your guns as a FINAL RESORT. And no rechargeable health here either; it's back to finding medkits. And even though you can carry medkits, using them will leave you vulnerable.

Now onto the story. It is one of the greatest and most personal stories ever written. This isn't about the disease, or mankind. It's about Joel and Ellie. They are very human and you'll want to see how their relationship develops over the course of the story. Not spoiling anything, but let's just say that there are times that will make you say, "Would I have done that?"

As for online, it's quite fun. You really need teamwork. And no gun-blazing or rechargeable health either. Leave you Call of Duty attitude at the door, and you'll do well.

Games like these tell us not to abandon the PS3 yet. And if you don't have a PS3, now is the time. So what if it's 7 years old? That just means you have seven years worth of epic games in its library, and "The Last of Us" is one of them.
  87. Jun 23, 2013
    Games that take place in a post-apocalyptic world and games about zombies are pretty common these days. It may be easy to write off The Last of Us as another zombie apocalypse game but it is much more than that. The story revolves around the outbreak of a mysterious fungus that infects humans and turns them into violent zombies (called the “Infected” but same premise). The pandemic has resulted in the decimation of humanity as we know it. Twenty years after the outbreak, civilized society has deteriorated and the world has become a dangerous place. Various zombies stalk the land and threaten all living beings. The few remaining humans are forced to choose between being imprisoned into militarized quarantine zones for safety or live on the outside and fight for their survival by any means necessary. There are no morals in this world. As Joel, your job will be to survive the chaotic world and escort a young girl name Ellie to a group of rebels. (Luckily, Ellie is not the typical escort victim and almost always takes care of herself and even helps Joel.) The two make an odd pair but the evolution of their bond is one of the most captivating things about the game. The story, delivered by some fantastic voice actors and cinematic cut-scenes, paints a ruthless future for mankind. Due to the nature of the world, the gameplay revolves around the concept of survival. It is an unforgiving world and you will need to fight strategically if you want to live. Supplies are scare and dangers are plentiful. This is one a game where "run and gun" rarely works and stealth plays a very important role. The combat is tense and unforgiving at first, but you will be eased into it in the early stages. It is a satisfying experience once you get the hang of it. A notable aspect of combat is that enemies are completely oblivious to your companions when they run within enemy sight or make audible noise. This was a development design to prevent frustrations from poor AI, though it does hurt the immersion a bit. Visually, the game is arguably one of the best looking console games ever made and is complimented by a minimalistic but atmospheric soundtrack. Exploring the beautiful, decayed world reveals the stories of a once thriving population now on the brink of extinction. There are some minor graphical glitches and a few rare instances of missing sound effects, but these flaws are easily ignorable. Taken as a whole, the game paints a brutally honest and realistic post-apocalyptic future for mankind. It is an engrossing adventure and one where you will feel a range of emotions. From the chaotic introduction to the dark ending, The Last of Us draws you in and sends you on a brutal, thought provoking adventure that leaves its mark on the player. Expand
  88. Jul 14, 2013
    This is a damn good movie, err--- I mean game... The Last of Us has knocked the graphics section out of the park, and although the gameplay isn't too exciting to watch; when you actually play it, it feels surprisingly accurate and refined (for a videogame, that is.) The game is partially flawed however, introducing us to (very) bad characters and a movie-like setup, but it can be forgiven as the writers try to show what standards have to be set in such a world their characters are living it. It's not out of the question that this has me feeling just how to well this game was designed and set up (overall). It really is worth your time, go for it! Expand
  89. Feb 13, 2014
    The Last of Us is an achievement in gaming, not just in 2013, but all time. It is also a perfect way to bookend this generation of gaming. The Last of Us has one of the most engaging story I have ever experienced in a game. Not because its really original, but because how well executed it is. From the voice acting, motion capture, score, to the beautiful graphics, it all pulls you in right from the first shot. Game-play-wise it is a strategic stealth/action game that has some of the most brutal action I've seen in any form of entertainment. If you own a PS3 you need to play The Last of Us. You owe it to yourself to play the PS3's crowning jewel! Expand
  90. dz9
    Jun 24, 2013
    To start off this review, I'd like to say that The Last of Us is a very good game. That being said, it's definitely not the legend people are making it out to be. In essence it is an excellent game that held back from greatness from a culmination of small but significant flaws. Knowing NaughtyDog and any of the trailers, it is easy to see that this game is gorgeous, spot on voice acting and motion capturing combined with the atmosphere make this game a visual delicacy. The gameplay is a simple and familiar one (I can understand the people that can not bare this game because of the familiar stealth), effective and tense in parts, but hair-pulling and repetitive in others. You pretty much have to play stealth for the majority of your time playing TLoU, fighting your way past zombie-inspired monsters and your fellow human survivors. The stealth is very simple but overall effective, however when the game gives you the objective to clear all enemies in a given area, it makes the game feel too "video game-y" and breaks the immersion it tries so desperately to set up. Also breaking the immersion is the awful Ai. For your allies, too often do they get in your way or frantically and aimlessly running in plain sight of the enemy without even somehow being spotted. For your enemies, the lack of variety of the zombies make getting through them extremely repetitious and the AI for the human foes range from Super Sight, eyes in the back of their head, and unbelievable stupidity. The human AI is never consistent and too often will your carefully thought out stealth streak be interrupted by the unbearable AI. The crafting system is a great thought and raises the tense moments of combat even more due to the live action inventory mechanic, only gripe regarding it is the fact is that I never felt constricted to craft items which I should feel in an apocalyptic horror game, because although the ammo felt balanced right, the supplies to make molotovs, nailbombs, and health packs came all too in abundance. The story although not outstanding, is workable, it gets you from point A to point B effectively while coming up with a few cool ideas along the way. The best part of the story is the interactions between the characters you'll meet, seeing them evolve as characters and grow before the player's eyes is a narrative treat.
    In the End: The Last of Us sports a decent story, a great and believable cast of characters, outstanding visuals, but lacks depth and consistency in the gameplay especially with in the AI department.
    The Last of Us 7.8/10
  91. Jul 2, 2013
    Before the release of The Last of Us, Naughty Dog expressed their focus with the game: Narrative and emotion. These two things are arguably the weakest overall aspects of games on the market, and this issue has been addressed and the bar set. The characters are full of depth and realism, and you deeply care for them by the end. You are emotionally connected to these characters. When a person is emotionally invested in something, every aspect about it is highlighted or emphasized in some way. The gameplay is slow, but perfect. Combat is brutal and heavy. Every shot, punch, and swing of the bat feels satisfying. The stealth is largely basic, but any other editions would have felt contrived. The multiplayer is amazing as well. Similar in pace to the singleplayer, small teams allow for strategic play and refreshing competitive competition. You'll be hoping that the future DLC will add on to the somewhat slim experience. For some time now, many others have tried to do what Naughty Dog has done, but have failed. They've sacrificed interesting gameplay for a strong narrative. These games are not balanced, and split their audience. The Last of Us hits this balance perfectly. It's refreshing to see a game succeed in every objective it set out to do. You won't forget this classic game anytime soon. One of the generation's greats. Expand
  92. Jun 18, 2013
    This game is not bad, but it's not a 10 by a long shot. The combat and movement are sluggish and frustrating at times. The story is predictable and while it looks pretty, there are definitely better looking games out for PS3 at the moment. The crafting and upgrade systems are shallow and disappointing, as is the looting, but then, one should be mindful that this is a shooter, not an RPG. Some areas have multiple, clever ways of dispatching enemies, but all too often the player is simply fighting off wave after wave of enemies, and it get boring quickly. There is very little ammo, which is fine for a survival/adventure game, but this game is predominantly a shooter, and then it gets very frustrating.

Voice acting and music is great! But a game needs more than that. Rent, don't buy.
  93. Sep 21, 2013
    One of the best games available for the PS3. Big on story that draws you in. I expected a Resident Evil type of gameplay taking down hoards of undead but you actually wind up killing about 50x more people. It's a bit depressing, as almost every human encounter turns for the worse having humanity show it's dark side. It does make the story all the more compelling however. It will have you on the edge of your seat all the way through. I thought I knew how the game would end, but I was surprised. Completed the game in ~14 hours. Expand
  94. Jun 22, 2013
    As a gamer who enjoys the idea of choice in games, I was expecting a much different storyline to most other zombie games and I came out disappointed, there is nothing extremely bad in terms of gameplay and story in this game, but there's nothing amazing either, it just results to too many genre cliches during the half, while the second half simply starts to drag the simple idea of transporting someone from point A to point B, in the end, graphics are quite good, gameplay is average though puzzle solving and platforming sections are nearly exactly the same every time in a different area which is frustrating, another criticism I have is the ending, it left me speechless, but in the wrong way, I couldn't tell weather the game was good or bad after reaching the ending, which just felt like I went in an entire circle and happened abruptly, it wasn't a bad or good ending it was more like a stalemate in gaming, in the end, if you're looking for perfect. the first half-hour will be impressive, but the rest of the game, simply became an exercise or predictability, sudden and annoying combat and a story that tries to invest you emotionally, but worked more at the beginning then it did in the actual ending, in the end, I am waiting for the day when games like Spec Ops, The Walking Dead and the new Tomb Raider are combined properly without any problems and choice that affects the story, not just the combat, In the end, an overrated game, but not a bad one, the story intrigued me at the time despite predictability but ended horribly Expand
  95. Jul 27, 2013
    Whilst some may find the 10/10 surrounding thus game hyperbole, and they are in some ways correct it is still very deserving of its 10 nonetheless. There are hundreds of other user reviews on here but what I want to deliver is my critique of the game and what despite this being a masterpiece could have had significant improvement.

So The Last Of Us at first appears a typical
    post-apocalyptic zombie story with all the tropes to prove it, burning buildings, panic and quarantine zones. But at the heart of the story is something more profound a story that in its trope filled plot has a deeper vein that tells an altogether more important story than anything before it in this medium. It is a narrative that from its first 15 minute intro engrosses the player into the game and has you controlling events that would usually be relegated to the work of only the CG. These 15 minutes are poignant, poetic and thought provoking just as the final 15 minutes of the game are too this story is about humanity's decline from what once was and most of all the relationships that form in these situations, those who have never known anything outside of this 'dying' world. Though the word 'dying' might not quite fit. Building structures appear heavily damaged cars ravaged by nature and yet without spoiling the plot nature continues to live on past the remnants of humanity's previous luxuries.

But whilst the story does all these things there are certain immersion breaking moments that can take you completely out of it in gameplay. The gameplay can at times feel frustrating with the occasional check point that spawns you right in the middle of combat being shot at or the loud footsteps of Ellie as you stealth kill a clicker. Whilst these aren't completely game breaking they are issues that could have been addressed. Of course the gameplay for the most part has some of the best survival gameplay of any game so far and there are certain areas in the game that are scarier than the last 3 RE games. This is survival as you craft together the items you need in real time, change weapons in real time and bandage yourself up in real time. The real time (seeing how many times I can say it in a couple of sentences!) elements are extremely effective and give a sense of panic as your pistol runs out of ammo and you need to switch gun but the enemy is coming straight at you, it means deep, tactical combat both in multiplayer and in single player as you find the right time to craft items or change weapons for certain situations.

Another issue for some might be the pacing. The game is split into chapters which are then split into 4 distinct sections Autumn, Winter, Spring and Summer. However the first section of the game is undoubtedly the slowest. It starts off at an extremely fast pace with many plot elements but towards the middle of this initial section it might feel too slow for some despite being at a nice steady pace which allows for characterisation and development. From here on in the game picks up the pace in more short and distinct sections that allow the player to still explore but also throws in more unique situations for the player to deal with.

Finally the AI from the game is a bit strange because although for the most part it is seemingly quite intelligent there are certain parts of the game where you will wonder why the AI performs a specific action, though these are rare they can be frustrating to see. Although hardly happening to me the friendly AI occasionally shot in sections when I wanted to stealth the enemies and it lead to disaster in a situation that could altogether have been avoided. Although again there was only two occurrences with this it is worth noting still. Also enemies will occasionally see a body and not even question its presence there and at other times are so smart they can deduct your position like they are using a GPS.

In conclusion the Last Of Us then is a Masterpiece but not one without some issues as Uncharted, Mass Effect, Ocarina of time and other greats are not without their issues, The Last Of Us stands as one of the best games of the last 7 years (this console generation) and deserves its time at the top of the charts and its critical acclaim. It is a game which undoubtedly cements Naughty Dog as one of the best AAA development houses in the world, and one of the biggest assets Sony has acquired in the last decade.

Gameplay 9.6
    Sound 10
    Story/Plot: 10
    Lasting Appeal: 10
    Presentation: 10

Overall: 10/10 Masterpiece, If you have a PS3 you owe it to yourself to try this out even if it isn't your cup of tea!
  96. Jun 21, 2013
    "The Last of Us" is a crowning masterpiece. Some of the most incredible story telling I've ever seen. Unlike anything I've ever experienced in a video game. With a "No Country For Old Men" & "I Am Legend" like feel to it, but mostly something entirely of it's own. With this post apocalyptic setting, you will travel with Joel & Ellie through one hell of a crazy, intense & emotional journey, as these two characters fight & struggle to survive this impossible, terrifying world, and will build, over time, a stronger bond together because of it. You have NEVER experienced anything like this before. Trust me. If you have a PlayStation 3 The Last of Us must NOT be missed. Hell, if you don't have a PS3 already BUY a PS3 just for this game. That's money you won't regret spending, and THAT is a guarantee. Expand
  97. Jul 1, 2013
    Purchased the game on the release date. Played through the single player story on Hard difficulty. It took me 21 hours to complete. Played about 2 hours of multiplayer. My impressions: Story is fantastic. The character development is very good and I liked how the world was fleshed out via optional conversations, newspaper clippings, notes and other artifacts. The graphics are incredible and probably the best I've seen on PS3. (I saw one review compare this to the PC, which is a stupid and meaningless comparison since the hardware is not comparable).
    The controls are tight, although it took me some time to get accustomed since I don't play many 3rd person games (only played Uncharted 1 for Naughty Dog games).
    Sound is great, with well-suited music that sets the right tone and some scary effects from the infected.
    The gameplay is somewhat limited to the stealth mechanic, although you do gunfight with bandits and use a cover system. I like the stealth mechanic and the listen mode, which allows you to listen and then see enemies through walls.

Multiplayer:
    It's a pretty different experience. Teamwork and stealth are important. There is some decent depth in terms of perk upgrades and weapons. It's 4 v 4 so it's pretty important to work together and it can be tough with strangers who don't mesh. I liked it quite a bit but I am still learning to craft items (like in the single player) and move with strategy.

I've read some other comments and some thing I do agree with:
    Once you've completed the single player you may not want to play again since the story is known. There is a Survivor difficulty which takes away the listen mode and a New Game which still allows you to keep weapon and ability upgrades. There are also collectibles to find, some of which enhance your abilities. I looked as much as possible but missed quite a bit. At the Hard difficulty I had to replay much but I think 15-20 hours is probably normal time.

The mulitplayer is good, but I'm not sure I'm into it enough to play it for a very long time (i.e. 20+ hours). Still a good amount of content though.There is also DLC coming (for both single and multiplayer) if you are into that.

I guess this could be the only criticism that there is somewhat limited replay value but it is there and there are trophies for completionists. I would consider reasonable scores to be 7 -10, anything lower I think is unreasonable but you can decide for yourself.

One last point this game does use an online pass so used sales will probably not have multiplayer access.
  98. Jul 30, 2013
    Great game and great storytelling. The gameplay has a few flaws and it feels very predictable, but for the genre, it was a fantastic interpretation and worth the time spent.
  99. Jul 28, 2013
    The Last of Us is a beautiful, emotional tale that remains resonant in and out of gameplay, in and out of cutscenes, whether you're shooting cordiceps or humans, and whether you're scavenging for ammo and medkits or exploring to learn more about the world. The game also has the advantage of being Triple-A funded, so the producttion values are incredible, too. Beautiful graphics, visceral and brutal gameplay, fantastic mo-cap acting, and an emotional narrative make this game hard to fault. Expand
  100. Jun 29, 2013
    Amazing game. Awesome story, awesome gameplay, awesome atmosphere. This is one of the very few games that has actually made me care for the characters. I was very happy with the ending of this game, it may not be as good as Bioshock Infinite's ending, but I was happy with it.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]