• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jan 19, 2014
    Never have I completed an interactive experience such as this one. An incredibly beautifully created game with intense, solid, brutal gameplay, and a narrative that grips and keeps moving you along in a way that I've never had before. Fantastic acting and dynamic interactions. The character movement may feel a bit clunky compared to other current titles, but it's a small thing toNever have I completed an interactive experience such as this one. An incredibly beautifully created game with intense, solid, brutal gameplay, and a narrative that grips and keeps moving you along in a way that I've never had before. Fantastic acting and dynamic interactions. The character movement may feel a bit clunky compared to other current titles, but it's a small thing to overlook when considering the overall masterpiece that this gem really is. A greatly satisfying and thought-provoking journey. Expand
  2. Aug 4, 2013
    Superb work of art. You rarely come across a game with such marvellous storytelling. The gameplay is really fun and challenging and the presentation of the game is the best I've seen to date.
    This game is a must-have to every gamer.
  3. Jun 18, 2013
    This is a great game and if you own a Playstation 3 you should play it.

The bad "User" reviews by GonzoGamer and Wilfogn Your other review are all XboX360 games. .
    So my question to you is is? Are you really that stupid, why would you go and give a bad review to a game of a console you don't even have..... You should pursuit a career in politics, you are picture perfect for the job.
  4. Jun 17, 2013
    WOW! WOW! WOW! I can just keep saying this because that's what this game is... it's WOW! I cannot stop playing this game. I am already thinking of playing it again, and I'm not even done with it! Just simply amazing!
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    Excellent and good game, but I expect more of this and the reason that the ads suggest you do so!
    We hope to be next to be much better by adil khojah from saudi arabiya
  6. Aug 4, 2013
    It's the cohesiveness that astonishes The best script and cut scenes in computer games meets extremely polished gameplay and stunning set pieces all held together with pitch perfect pacing to create something that looks like an amazing movie yet still feels like a amazing game.
    Computer games aren't meant to be swimming around your head days after you complete them but this one did. Computer games shouldn't leve you open mouthed in awe but this one did. Computer games aren't meant to make you cry but this one did. Enough said.
  7. Jul 23, 2013
    Well, while it may not be lengthy enough for some of us naughty dog fans, and may have some little niggling bugs here and there, this is a fine piece this. This wonderful, scary, empowering, and generally diamond in the polished diamond stage game. Thank God we are not existing in a time where publishers are afraid to create games that are different enough in their execution, while beingWell, while it may not be lengthy enough for some of us naughty dog fans, and may have some little niggling bugs here and there, this is a fine piece this. This wonderful, scary, empowering, and generally diamond in the polished diamond stage game. Thank God we are not existing in a time where publishers are afraid to create games that are different enough in their execution, while being similar enough to others to not totally drown and falter. Thank Christ we have SONY with giant gold plated platinum balls, creating real games in many different and interesting genres, instead of dude first person bro-fests. As you can see, I am very happy about this game. The best thing about the last of us is the fact that it is REAL-ISH, the deaths are god awful to experience. I had to shut the box off once because I saw death sequences too many times, and I was sickened. The art and design of the levels is top notch, while not over the top. Gun play is enjoyable. Play it! Expand
  8. Feb 17, 2014
    even though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scaryeven though this game is EXTREMELY overrated, i still think "The Last of Us" is a pretty great game. my hugest issue with the game is that unlike every other stealth game there is no failsafe. once you've been spotted, there is no way out of "alert mode". besides that complaint, everything else i have to say about this game is praise. the story is excellent, the gameplay can be quite scary at times, the game can be brutally difficult if you don't play wisely, the graphics are better than most ps4 games out right now and even the multiplayer is really fun Expand
  9. Jun 17, 2013
    With The Last of Us Naughty Dog have delivered a masterpiece in every sense of the word. They don’t just raise the bar for video games, they set a new precedent that all narrative driven games should be measured against. I’ve already heaped huge amounts of praise onto The Last of Us, and yet I feel like I could continue to conjour up new ways of explaining just how impressive theWith The Last of Us Naughty Dog have delivered a masterpiece in every sense of the word. They don’t just raise the bar for video games, they set a new precedent that all narrative driven games should be measured against. I’ve already heaped huge amounts of praise onto The Last of Us, and yet I feel like I could continue to conjour up new ways of explaining just how impressive the experience is. In the end, when I tell you that The Last of Us is not only the best, most complete, game of this generation, but also one of the best games that I’ve ever had the fortune to play, I hope you’ll realise how impossibly good The Last of Us is. Expand
  10. Aug 6, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played by far. The story keeps you sucked in, the game mechanics are good (better than "Uncharted" series), and the subtle music is just enough. I really enjoyed it.
  11. Sep 18, 2013
    This is my first review for metacritic. And there's no better game to start off with.

If the Last of Us isn't game of the year, demand a recount. This is one of the most enjoyable games for the PS3. The story, although often rehashed with the premise of surviving a zombie ridden world, TLOU provides a great story. Joel, is paired up with Ellie, a young girl who seems to be the key to ending or at least surpress the spread of zombies. Ellie is immune, and a group called the Fireflies wants to get a hold of Ellie. That's all I'll say for now. The presentation or visuals, gritty, dark, perfect. You really get that feeling of wanting to survive. The sound, music fits right in with what's happening on screen, the voice acting is great. The clickers are as creepy as they look. I dare anyone to play this on their sound system at night, late night. The combat is where it shines. You are limited in ammunition and weapons in general. I really felt the need to move around and make sure my shots count. There's an excellent crafting system as well. You get to craft shivs), bombs, smoke bombs, and molotovs. The enemies, a rebel group of hunters, the aforementioned fireflies, and the zombies, which are called clickers. They come in different versions depending on how long someone has been infected. This might be my only real gripe about the game. There were many variations of clickers but I felt as if there should have been more. It's minor. Once you complete the game, you have the option to try it again on harder difficulties. I'm on new game plus.

And then there's the online. This is a breath of fresh air! Warning, if you're a COD gamer, the online is not for you. The online is much slower paced and incorporates the crafting system found in the single player. Nicely done. Teamwork is the main key to the online. In one mode, supply raid, each team has 20 reinforcements or tickets. When a player dies, a reinforcement is used. The team that runs out of reinforcements loses. There's also a no supply raid (no respawn) mode and an interrogation mode. The downside is there are only 3 modes but there's much potential to have more. Interrogation was the new mode added recently.

If you're looking for a great adventure/survival game, The Last of Us is the game to play.
  12. Oct 1, 2013
    This game is a masterpiece! Its just like Half Life where everything just works and fits together perfectly. The story, graphics and gameplay work well together and I was interested right the way through the game. I'll definitely play it through again on a harder difficulty setting in the future. This game is worth getting a PS3 for!
  13. Mar 8, 2014
    The greatest game of this generation. We dive into this universe in awe and full emotion capacity. The Last Of Us portrays its message clearly and gives us an experience that we may never get again (unless Naughty Dog tops it off with a sequel, which is not impossible btw, hehe.) But hey, I have never played a video game as spectacular as this. I can emphasize with the story and the way itThe greatest game of this generation. We dive into this universe in awe and full emotion capacity. The Last Of Us portrays its message clearly and gives us an experience that we may never get again (unless Naughty Dog tops it off with a sequel, which is not impossible btw, hehe.) But hey, I have never played a video game as spectacular as this. I can emphasize with the story and the way it invites us to enter its universe is really marvelous. An unforgettable video game, it still resonates to this day in my mind. Expand
  14. Jun 16, 2013
    Honestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This shouldHonestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This should be experienced by everyone. Expand
  15. Jun 16, 2013
    This game is on my short list for perfect 10's. Few games come to mind that are close to this caliber of top notch presentation, amazing story, and superb game play. This is a true return to survival horror, a genre many fans felt disappeared after Resident Evil 4 (some say even before that). I honestly haven't even started to play multiplayer yet, but I only hear good to great thingsThis game is on my short list for perfect 10's. Few games come to mind that are close to this caliber of top notch presentation, amazing story, and superb game play. This is a true return to survival horror, a genre many fans felt disappeared after Resident Evil 4 (some say even before that). I honestly haven't even started to play multiplayer yet, but I only hear good to great things about it. I know it's a little late in the current gen to say this, but this is a system seller of a game if I have ever played one! Expand
  16. Jul 10, 2013
    One of the best games Ive ever played, up there with the likes of Metal Gear Solid 1,3,4 Shadow Of The Colossus, Okami, Resident Evil 4 and Uncharted 2. Naughty Dog devs dont mess around and they really take their job very serious, everything about this game excels in production value.

A very touching story that kept me caring for the 2 main characters, I really was able to feel what they were going thru, the immersion on this game is phenomenal, thanks to the state of the art graphics, motion capture, art direction, gameplay mechanics and story driven run through a post apocalyptic US.

The visceral action although very violent, never over the top, perfectly balance as it should be in the real world, without dragging it too much into reality. You really feel the tension with each encounter. The tension doesnt stop there of course, the fact that you really have to preserve ammo and make every shot count is and awesome game design decision. It forces you to explore, and really use strategic approaches to every situation, do you take down every one using stealth, do you avoid the confrontation and sneak past them, or do you go gun blazing. Either way you choose you will have to play smart and keep all your weapons loaded at all times, a split second can really mean the difference between dying or surviving.

So much more to say about this game, but I would have to write a 10 page essay for that, in short The Last Of Us is a game we only get once every generation, the quality of the story, gameplay and graphics are superb, if youre a fan of stealth, action, survival, story driven games, this is the one for you.
  17. Aug 23, 2013
    I was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earnsI was starting to doubt if it was any good but once you see the incredibly emotional opening (even the opening credits shook me), and use the realistic, gruesome and fun violence, along with a story that is just amazing. The story is one of the best stories ever (including literature, film, TV or what have you). I loved these characters: Joel is a complete phucking badass and Ellie earns your passion. The music, the graphics, the sound are mind-blowing. Every goddamn thing about this game screams perfection. Naughty Dog stepped away from their cartoonish Uncharted and Jak & Daxter and got my heart pumped and passion burning bright red. I LOVE THIS GAME!!!!!! Either you go stealth or combat, it works out beautifully. It is one of the greatest games ever. Plain and simple. Those who disagree are completely blind or have not yet experienced the pure awesomeness of this game. The voice acting is among the best I've ever heard. Major replay value Expand
  18. Jul 12, 2013
    Recipe for one of the greatest games ever. 1part Resident Evil, 1 part Metal Gear Solid, 1 part Far Cry 3. These are the 3 games that came to mind when playing, "The Last of Us". Whomever was responsible for RE 5 and 6, should be ashamed of themselves after playing this game. This is how Survival horror should be done. I wouldn't be surprised if future developers copy the formula for thisRecipe for one of the greatest games ever. 1part Resident Evil, 1 part Metal Gear Solid, 1 part Far Cry 3. These are the 3 games that came to mind when playing, "The Last of Us". Whomever was responsible for RE 5 and 6, should be ashamed of themselves after playing this game. This is how Survival horror should be done. I wouldn't be surprised if future developers copy the formula for this game. It is a thrilling roller coaster ride of feelings and emotions while playing. It is my first game in which the narrative actually made me uncomfortable during CG scenes. How the developers blended survival horror with stealth was genius. When enemies are alerted, the game actually sounds off with the same alert you hear when playing Metal Gear. It makes me wonder, if they had to liscense that from Konami. Ammo? Yes, there is ammo, and health kits, and craftable items. However, these items are scarce, and when you do come across them. BUCKLE UP!! because your going for a gut wrenching, intense ride of gameplay that you've never experienced. The Uncharted simuarities are here as well. The Graphics, cut scenes, and even some light platforming elements brought Uncharted to mind. The slight visual cues of where to go next we're a nice touch and typical of naughty dog games. My comparison to Far Cry 3 is small, but it was there. Every time you run into a group of enemies, there is a strategy you can formulate to take them all down in your most efficient way possible. Some encounters, you don't even have to fight if you choose the stealthiest path. Good luck with that. Why? because when you encounter your first human enemy, you will be terrified. You will panic and probably try to Call of Duty them to death, and you will lose. Then you will have your first run in with an infected, and the same thing will happen. At some point you will hide behind cover for awhile and hope they just go away. But they won't. You will have to engage at some point and attempt to dispatch them, while your mouth fills with vomit from the constant stress and anxiety you will experience. There is down time. During these moments, things will appear tranquill and serene. You will ask questions of the world created by Naughty Dog. How can post apocolypto be some pretty and f'd up at the same time? After your nerves are racked, there will be moments of, "why is the game prompting me to pick up this weapon?" why is there unlimited ammo for a moment? "OH! so you can kick my ass some more......" End scene, and some down time before they mind F you some more. Unbelieveable. Anyone that owns a PS3 should purchase this game. I personally loved it and hated it at the same time. I am not a fan of stealth games like Metal Gear, Splinter Cell and some of my worst moments of Assassins Creed games. It makes me want to go back and try those games again. I feel like i've just been sent to Survival Horror, Stealth bootcamp. The great part is, the game does a great job of building you up and ripping you down. In it's finale, you will have a variety of killing devices at you diposal. I guarantee you won't use them. Because the game sucks? NO!! because by the time you arrive at the finish line, it's crucibal, you will be a seasoned killing machine, that relys on cunning tactics and stealth to get through. You will feel empowered, like a predator stalking it's prey. Your enemies will fear you, and you will be numb with emotion. All the items in your inventory are there to tease the weak. Those that decide to Rambo their way through the end, will have missed out on what makes it great. Which is why the game punishes you for using that type of strategy. It can be done, but it will be a harder path. Those indaviduals that can stay calm and focus their emotions will get most of what this world is all about. It took me 2 weeks to beat this game. Partly because of my disdain for games like this and also becuase it terrified me. Anymore than 45- 60 min a sitting was all I could stomach. I was petrified of what was waiting for me around every corner. I thought this game was great. It was made for everybody and nobody at the same time. Most people play video games to have fun and let loose. This game is not fun. Not in the way that your used to anyway. Gamers that love this stuff, will......have fun...most of us will be all screwed up and distraught after playing. The thing is, this sort of game has been done before. Just not quite like this. It has a genre unto its own. The Last of Us really does reinvent the wheel to some extent. The reason why it messes with you, is because the experiences it delivers are new and fresh. The same infected zombie that freaked you in the early parts of the game, will still freak you out in the end. The game doesn't give you a chance to be comfortable with your surroundings. Im giving it a ten only because it blew my mind. How could I not. I've been a gamer for 30+ years, and never has a game nocked my nitz off like "The Last of Us". Expand
  19. Jul 3, 2013
    While this game has a great storyline, great acting and great single player although extremely linear...Naughty Dog failed to provide decent multi-player which has the same tired feel of the COD games levelling up rubbish. Totally unbalanced until you level up past a certain point. This alone will make most newcomers to the multi-player game not want to bother. Also, while I'm sure thereWhile this game has a great storyline, great acting and great single player although extremely linear...Naughty Dog failed to provide decent multi-player which has the same tired feel of the COD games levelling up rubbish. Totally unbalanced until you level up past a certain point. This alone will make most newcomers to the multi-player game not want to bother. Also, while I'm sure there will be DLC with new modes...its basically Team Death match.

All in all just rent the game and enjoy it that way...instead of selling it in a couple of weeks.
  20. Jul 1, 2013
    I went into this game thinking that it was going to be at the very least pretty good given all the slobbering reviews and perfect scores from "professional reviewers" and the general public. But after playing it for a number of hours, I still haven't figured out what it is about this game that makes people think it deserves the accolades it's being given.

It's not a bad game, it's a

It's not a bad game, it's a good game. It's far from perfect, and it's FAR from the "game of the year" love fest that has been heaped upon it.

It took several hours of playing before I even started to care what happened to any of the characters, and was even glad one of them died so early. The repetitiveness of the game play was enough to bore me so much that I actually had to make myself continue to play it, just so I could try and get my $60 worth.

The AI is at times non existent. Many times my character would be hiding from an enemy, but the NPC character with me would be running around bumping into the enemies, but they wouldn't notice?!?

This is what I like to call a "rinse and repeat" game. You enter a "level", look for ammo, nuts and bolts, maybe a new weapon or a health kit, fight off a swarm of the same enemies, and then move on to the next level and do it all over again. And in between you are subjected to the emotional issues of each character and how they are trying not to get too close to each other for fear of losing someone they care about again. *Snore*

Like I said, not a bad game, it's a "good" game, but not even close to a game of the year candidate.
  21. Jun 23, 2013
    This game is amazing, so beautiful! the only thing I would have changed was to have the ability to choose what storylines to follow. like choosing your ending and seeing what happens after youve made the choice like 10 years in the future! But overall an amazing game! naughty dog killed!
  22. Oct 8, 2013
    It's a Naughty Dog game, does anything else really need to be said? Expect excellence because this game will gut punch you out of your seat from the very opening scene, and never let you go.
  23. Jun 18, 2013
    Gun play is kind of iffy, but otherwise this is the best game i have ever played. The story is beautifully told. This game is an absolute masterpiece.
  24. Sep 4, 2013
    The biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounterThe biggest issue with this AAA title is that due to its heavy focus on story-telling that it forgets to be a game first and an interactive film second. The game plays great and all but through out the whole campaign, it fails to go anywhere with it but rather keep players in a repetition of collecting items and shooting enemies. Of course, the game offers a variety in ways you encounter enemies but not enough to keep its gameplay interesting. It could have easily avoided such redundancy by introducing new gameplay mechanics or new enemies or boss encounters in the mid game to keep things fresh and make gameplay more engaging. The whole campaign felt very flat. The last section of gameplay felt very anti-climatic. It was a bit more challenging than the rest of the game but it wasn't much different from what you were doing the entire time. Stealth, kill, collect items, repeat over and over. The online mode is nice but that won't save the main campaign from its mediocrity.
    If they ever make a sequel, I hope they'll make a better game than a better interactive b-movie.
  25. Dec 31, 2013
    i guess i have a different review from most of the others on here.... ill start out saying i prefer sandbox type games like gta...... in my opinion this game is very linear. you basically follow a set path with no choices. the game starts to become very repetitive, however it does have a strong finish and the graphics are unbelievable.
  26. Jul 29, 2013
    From my perspective, and in my opinion, this is one of the best paced games ever produced. Every level has meaning and makes sense in why you are doing what you are doing. Every character has depth and emotion. Every minute of gameplay is engrossing and enjoyable. In all an unforgettable game.
  27. Jul 25, 2013
    This game IS over rated. I can't imagine all the perfect scores failed me AGAIN. This used to be the most reliable site to find an honest review. I'm not sure what is going on, but maybe some reviewers jumped the gun on this one. Either that or because of the "PERFECT SCORES", I expected something worth being "perfect".... I was anticipating something epic. something that would blow myThis game IS over rated. I can't imagine all the perfect scores failed me AGAIN. This used to be the most reliable site to find an honest review. I'm not sure what is going on, but maybe some reviewers jumped the gun on this one. Either that or because of the "PERFECT SCORES", I expected something worth being "perfect".... I was anticipating something epic. something that would blow my mind. Got to the end of the game, and never found what is so PERFECT about it... AND WHAT IS UP WITH THE DLC NOT BEING revealed what it is, It's just access to online game playing. Wish I'd never bought it. Already paid TOO MUCH for this short single player game. There is nothing perfect about this game, and it was actually disappointing at the very end. I think I just got bamboozled. Expand
  28. Jun 25, 2013
    Truly wonderful game, i am a big gamer and have played games from Halo to Heavy Rain and Borderlands to Call of Duty and this is the first game in probably 4 years to truly surprise me. One for its shear beauty and two for its brilliant story and to top that off it play so very nicely. It draws you into the survivor role so well, helped by having no HUD and creating while the games stillTruly wonderful game, i am a big gamer and have played games from Halo to Heavy Rain and Borderlands to Call of Duty and this is the first game in probably 4 years to truly surprise me. One for its shear beauty and two for its brilliant story and to top that off it play so very nicely. It draws you into the survivor role so well, helped by having no HUD and creating while the games still live to create true urgency. I would recommend this to anyone looking for a deep engrossing game. Credit to Naughty Dog for creating a new IP after such a great job on Uncharted Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    Much like God of War 2 for the PS2, The Last of Us is the 'Swan Song' of the PS3. Given none of the game has been revealed, The Last of Us will evoke in most a sense of curiosity, fear, and despair, and this is a good thing. This is an experience like no other, one of which most gamers should experience.
  30. Jul 23, 2013
    The Last Of Us is the most brilliant, perfect, exiting, intensive video game experience of this generation.

Joel and Ellie give us in my opinion, the best Survivor game ever.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]