• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know what I can really say about this game without giving anything away, but I will tell you that it is easily in the top ten games that I've played, and I've played a lot of good games, also the characters of Joel and Ellie are absolutely brilliant, I think Ellie has such an amazing premise, and Joel seems to have been affected by the infection in quite a realistic way. The only bad thing I can say about this game is that as good as it is, I don't think it's for everybody, some people might be put off by the atmosphere and violence within the game, while some will love it for the same reason.

If you're thinking of buying this game, then I recommend buying it.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    This game truly is phenomenal. Naughty Dog proves yet again why they are the kings of the PS3, and arguably gaming in general. The Last of Us gets everything right. The environments, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline, the characters, the graphics. Everything. I really can't say enough how amazing this game truly ended up being.
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best games I have ever played. Imagine Uncharted 2/3, that looks better, sounds better, has more engaging characters and a more emotional plot.
    Imagine that with combat which encourages not just multiple playthroughs to try a different strategy, but reloading checkpoints to get your first strategy just right. But that doesn't really do it justice.
    If you
    are looking for a brand new and unique experience, this isn't perfect, but you should play it anyway. If you are looking for one of the best experiences to be found in gaming, you should definitely play The Last of Us. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    You should realize right from the beginning, you are in for a dark, remorseless journey into survival. Your sympathy is for the two main characters, and some of survivors they meet along the way, but the dread of what is around the corner haunts you for them and like the stunning graphics that never cease to amaze, this game continues to enthrall you down to the last scene. The game play is flawless, and you know this because it never interferes with story and the combat....and Ellie will simply blow you away with her tough independence and fierce instincts....The PS3 deserves this game as a brilliant way to say good-bye to this generation of consoles...worth every cent and worth every play time minute. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    Very good game. I love all of Naughty Dog's games, they are fun and have very good graphics. Go buy this game now and support ND for making better games on the PS 4!
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    I wouldn't call this game perfect, but it's pretty close for me. I wanted to rate this a 9.8. Since I cannot, I will give it a 10 because it is closer to a 10 than a 9. There IS the occasional glitch (as with most games), but the only thing that really takes me out of the experience is when Ellie will run out in front of the enemies and they will not see her at all! These moments remind you that you're playing a game and take you out of the experience.

Other than that, the story is absolutely top notch, the acting is top notch. One of the most engaging experiences I've ever played. (and I've been gaming since around the age of 3 back in '83!) The combat is underpowered in comparison to other games, but I LOVE that. It really gives a sense of fear and dread as you move along in the game. It really emphasizes the need for stealth. I would recommend this game to almost anyone, except for those who just absolutely loathe stealth games. Even then, you should give it a shot at least for the story and acting. The first 10 minutes will make at least a tear come to your eye. If it doesn't, then you probably aren't human.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is kinda overrated. The game play is not that amazing really the gun play is very similar to uncharted (as you would kinda expect I suppose). The story line is not all that and the first couple of hours are pretty boring, I hate games that take ages to get going. The graphics are pretty good and so is the animation too. How many zombie games do we really need though This genre is massively over done, when are people gonna get over zombies geez...Also at the time of writing this there is a massive game breaking bug which makes you unable to save your progress and has affected TONS of people. Expand
  8. Jun 24, 2013
    I have finished the game earlier this week, since then I had some time to reflect about it.

After getting over my „fanboism“, cause I have been awaiting this game for quite a while, to look at it from a more neutral perspective, I must say that “The Last Of Us” is OVERRATED!

Now bear with me, I'm not saying by any means it’s a bad game, it’s a piece of art, a masterpiece even, very
    beautiful, especially visually. But hearing “the best game of this generation” or “the best game EVER made” is very false to me. Let me try and help you to understand where I'm coming from:

Once I have looked past the eye candy, I noticed the gameplay is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types and the humans have a very flawed AI which is very exploitable (also doesn’t help that you keep on killing the same 5 guys cause there aren’t that many enemy skins). The Puzzles, if you could even call them that, are no challenge at all, and only require you to push a ladder from point A to point B or drag a dumpster around for a little while so you can climb on it. The game is far too forgiving, even on the hard setting, keeps on holding your hand, treating you like a little child, generating checkpoints after every minute and even giving you more ammo and med packs out of nowhere when you run out. It just seems overall like it was designed for the casual gamer, so parents and infants could easily beat it. In short, it offers almost no interesting challenges or compelling gameplay surprises.

Now lets get to the story (which most people claim to be the strongest part of the game), its full of clichés from previous post apocalyptic zombie scenarios, and even at its best moments it never reaches the depth and feel a good movie could provide. It feels more like a budget tv-series with a very limited cast, so I really don’t understand when people claim to have cried while playing it.

That all being said it still was a very enjoyable experience, which I’m glad I had the pleasure to go through. The best part about it truly where the visuals, some of the best I have ever witnessed in a video game, and the 2 main characters Ellie and Joel (even a later Villain) where some truly detailed and interesting characters which made out the main charm of the game.

Video games where always about the gameplay to me, and I find The Last of Us has a lot of problems there. I think the whole “Let’s try to be a movie” approach of video games is really getting old.

I still highly recommend it to anybody who likes video games, or art in general, I didn’t mean to sound too negative about it I just wanted to express why I think game sites giving it 10 out of 10s is complete ****

But hey, its just my opinion.
  9. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us, its a game that needs no introduction but had to show more than what we were expecting in order to not only keep up with the current generation & next generation games coming out but also live up to the par that Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 3 set for Naughty Dog. The game takes you on a journey that takes you throughout a world 20 years after a pandemic had arose. While keeping new ideas fresh the best thing that "The Last of Us" has going for it is excellent character development backed up with a truly memorable story. So if you are able to get your hands on a copy "The Last of Us" is a game that you do not want to miss out, and that is why it deserves a 9.8/10. Expand
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    Such an immersing world, great characters especially Joel en Ellie. Brilliant and such a fleshed out story i won't forget in a long time. Intense and incredible well put together gameplay mechanics. THE best game i have ever played.
  11. Jun 15, 2013
    I really like this action-survival-horror -next generation game, forget all this MS haters...if I compare the graphics of this great game with GTA IV, Darksiders, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Hitman, the action, gameplay, are matchless. It's not a perfect game, not at all, not for all, but I like it and it's my kind of game.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    Best game this generation along with Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption Everything in this game is top notch Graphics Gameplay Storytelling ,Voice acting and soundtrack This game is one of the reasons why I have a PS3 .
    and when you see a dickhead like GladkyAndrey who rate this game a 3 then change his mind and rate it 0 you know that this game is a beeeeeeaast
  13. Jun 17, 2013
    Best games ever made.
    A 10/10 score is not enough for this game. Naughty dog has made many great games, but this one is the best and probably the best game of this gen.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    A gripping story about human survival and the re-ignition of love in a bittered heart. The voice acting is perfect, facial animations are top notch and the protagonist becomes a very 'real' person as the story progresses. The graphics are pretty much the best current consoles can offer. The art direction can best be described as 'dreary', perfect for a post-apocalyptic setting. I also love the sound design and the minimalistic sound track producing melancholic instrumental music that really gets you in the right mood. The story is thrust forward using ingame dialog sections, cutscenes and various items you find (such as pamphlets and notes). Overall, the fiction feels very 'real'. Thrillingly able to suspend my disbelief with a mature story.

Gameplay:

The game can be best described as a third person action adventure with lots of stealth elements, and a bit more exploration than you would expect from the creators of Uncharted. The game has a wonderful pace (absolutely not run and gun) and great stealth sections that will have you at the edge of your seat. The stealth reminds me a bit of Manhunt, in which rooms are like puzzles and it is for the gamer to find out efficient ways to get through the rooms. As in Manhunt, taking down enemies feels hefty and combat is raw and visceral. There is also a crafting system in place, in which you use recourses scattered throughout the levels to craft items like health packs and shivs. However, resources are scarce and some items use the same components. So you need to choose: do I want a health pack, or a molotov?

The only downside to the game I found is the fact that sometimes your companions behave unrealistically during stealth sections, wanting to follow you around and obviously showing themselves while doing so. But it doesn't detract from the experience and luckily no alarms are triggered when it happens. Overall the companion AI is good; it is hard to make companions behave perfectly in stealth gameplay (how many games even try it?).

Lastly, I recommend turning off all tips in the options menu so the game doesn't tell you what to do all the time, yet I found the normal difficulty setting challenging enough. Take your time with this one, try to find the hidden resources and be absorbed in the fiction. Uncharted 3 really was more of the same and a bit boring, this is refreshing and gripping. Like Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2, this was a game that just did not bore me. 10/10 for the single player.
  15. Jun 18, 2013
    This is a great game and if you own a Playstation 3 you should play it.

The bad "User" reviews by GonzoGamer and Wilfogn Your other review are all XboX360 games. .
    So my question to you is is? Are you really that stupid, why would you go and give a bad review to a game of a console you don't even have..... You should pursuit a career in politics, you are picture perfect for the job.
  16. Jun 18, 2013
    I was very impressed right away, with the cinematics, textures, lighting, etc.
    The mechanics of how Joel moves around has a bit of a Dead Space feel to it, which I found easy to pick up.
    My only complaint being that you cannot command your AI companions to be passive or aggressive.
    I often found myself yelling profanity at the television, when you're trying to sneak around Clickers and
    Tess is firing off rounds.
    Other than that, I feel that the storyline and characters are well developed, the game has a high replay value, and the environment is superbly designed.
  17. Jul 2, 2013
    First off, let me say that this game has one of the greatest moments in gaming: The intro. If you've played the game, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Secondly, I did give the game an 8, but I totally understand why everyone is giving the game a 10. It all depends on your expectations. Are your expectations weighted more towards the playing the game? Or weighted more towards
    going through an experience?

For me, I was expecting a little bit of both, and I was very happy overall. The story, art, sound design and tension during gameplay is probably the best you'll ever experience. However, I don't believe the game is a perfect 10 for a few reasons:

1. Immersion. Naughty Dog has built an AMAZING world that pulls us in right away. We get invested into it from the get-go. With an intro like that, EVERYONE gets completely glued to the game. I bet most critics went 10/10!" as soon as they finished the intro. It's that good. However, the downside to this is that when the game contains actions that don't make sense, it breaks the immersion. Most examples of this appear in combat sequences:

1a. Your companions are ignored by enemy AI. This is forgiveable, because in such a crazy messed up world, the game would be way to hard to manage everyone.

1b. Joel does NOT pick up ammo in a world where ammo is "scarce". This is a big one. When you see every human enemy blasting bullets in every direction while you only have 10 bullets, it's as if Naughty Dog is holding up a giant sign saying "HEY! We did this intentionally to artificially increase tension!". It does raise tension quite a lot, but it also doesn't seem to fit the mindset of a survivor.

1c. Shivs. Why does Joel craft shivs that break when being used to stab people? The guy should just own a knife! (or a machete that doesn't break in 3 hits). It makes no sense, and in the world of The Last of Us... it'd be smart to own a knife. Those of you who have played the game know Joel has no excuse.

1d. Enemies are ridiculously evil. Every enemy in this game (aside from one), was a one-note badguy. They would shoot you on sight, try to kill you for "survival", but then they turn around and go "You killed my friends!" For some reason it felt like we were supposed to feel bad that we were killing them, but on the other hand... screw them. They shot at me first! The first demo Naughty Dog showed at E3 felt like they initially wanted players to feel the moral weight of what they did to players, but... It doesn't work at all with the regular enemy AI.

2. Puzzles were repetitive and simple. Let's face it, there are only 2 types of puzzles in this game. Drag a dumpter/palette/shelf to act as a stepping stone... or drag a wooden plank/ladder over a gap. Uncharted had much more interesting puzzles. I understand Joel is in the modern world, but I still think a little more could have been put into the puzzles we saw in this game. However, you could also consider every combat encounter a puzzle, as strategy played a very important part.

3. A lot of forced walking around and looking at things. After that amazing intro, I didn't even notice I was spending so much time in scripted walking sequences. However, upon my second playthrough, I saw that the first hour of the game is basically walking sequences with a bit of stealth thrown in. Try a second playthrough, see if you felt the same way or not.

Now, with all that said... how about the positives? These are the AMAZING things done by The Last of Us:

1. Story. You will love the story. Nearly everyone will love the story.
    2. Graphics. Some of the best on the PS3. In the game you encounter some animals, and they look amazing.
    3. Sound Design. Clickers are extra creepy because of the sound they make. And gunshots can scare the crap out of you if you get spotted while sneaking around. It's great!
    4. Tension during gameplay. During sequences with the infected (especially clickers), tension may be through the roof. The sneaking elements mixed with the way clickers work makes for a good time. Throwing bottles and bricks to trick your enemies feels 10 times more satisfying than throwing rocks in FarCry 3.
    5. Grenades and Molotovs! They're so satisfying to use.
    6. Strategy during gameplay. In the game, Joel is able to use his "hearing" ability (see: wallhack), to gauge enemy positions. This makes every combat sequence feel like a puzzle ready to be cracked wide open. And once you complete it... it feels gooood.

Overall, The Last of Us is a very good game. However, I have the feeling most critics wrote their reviews when they were still high off the thrill of the ending. After taking a second playthrough, it's much easier to see the game objectively, and to get a better picture of how The Last of Us is as a game. The thing I find the strongest is the tension during gameplay. It adds a lot to the atmosphere. However, the atmosphere can be broken by a few design choices.

Thank you Naughty Dog for another amazing game!
  18. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the first survival game in a long while that truly feels like a survival game. You have such limited ammo with your relatively underpowered weapons, that you must strategically plan out each encounter in order to survive. Most games suggest that you explore the environments, but The Last of Us actually forces you to. Without the necessary scavenged crafting supplies used to make health kits, upgraded weapons or booby traps, you simply won’t live through upcoming encounters. Expand
  19. Jul 10, 2013
    I created an account for the sole purpose of attempting to save a few people some money; this game, while decent as an entire package, comes across to me as a venture into gaming redundancy. I will not be discussing the particulars of the story or game mechanics, both to avoid spoilers and to prevent this from turning into a term paper. While TLOU does manage to incorporate an average level of quality in each aspect, the game overall comes across as a dud, mainly because as I played this game I couldn't get rid of the overbearing sensation that I had already played this game's prequels and that each of these, either in their own way or as a whole, were much much better than this latest release:

If you've played stealth-focused games such as Dishonored, Metal Gear, or Deus Ex you've already experienced far more advanced and enjoyable stealth mechanics.

If you've played adventure-based games such as Far Cry or Bioshock you've once again enjoyed better battle and combat interface mechanics.

If you've played puzzle-based games such as Prince of Persia or any other game that incorporates more than a ladder/plank combo...enough said.

And by far the worst and most over-hyped category, the carbon copy mix of Zombie-Survival, Coming-Of-Age, with a dash of familial bonding, was the greatest disappointment for me, as most games I am willing to forgive almost all assuming the story can bridge the gap between a lack of mechanics and my enjoyment. In this case, for me, the gap was only widened.

While I understand that all creations, particularly in the entertainment industry, rely and build upon previous ventures, the lack of creativity or any sign of originality in this game, to me, is unforgivable and undeserving of the seemingly fanboyish reviews it has received. This game is worth playing to kill some time or as an introduction to the genre if you are just entering the gaming scene, but in no way was it worth $60; wait for the GoTY edition it is almost certain to be developed into or borrow it from one of the multiple friends you have who have almost certainly already picked this up.
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't want to spoil any of the story so I'll get right to the point; The Last of Us takes all the WORST parts of the Uncharted series (the stealth and sneaking) and stretches it out across 12 hours of gameplay. This is THE MOST overrated game I have ever played. I cannot believe people are trying to say this game is "the best game ever" and better than Uncharted 3, which was an utter masterpiece, or better than this years BioShock Infinite, which was another amazing game. I went to the midnight launch and beat the game in one sitting so I didn't have to deal with the horrible save-game bug right now that prevents you from saving your progress, so I'm not even factoring that horrible oversight into my review. Honestly though, save yourself $60 and put that money towards a next-gen console. The multiplayer is also incredibly generic and unbalanced. Whoever wins the first round wins the entire match because they can instantly afford a set of armor at the start of the next round which allows you to take twice as much damage before dying. I'm utterly shocked by the metascore the critics have given this game. What can you expect though, SCEA published games almost always have a full point or two higher metacritic scores than they deserve, who the hell knows why. Expand
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    Game is overrated, I don't know what game all you are playing but this game is not the best as so many people seem to be saying. Beat the game in 7 hours and has no replayability. All you do in this game is sneak and strangle monsters. Graphics are ok, I see people saying there the best they have seen,wtf, if you think that then wow you are blind, the games graphics are okay and the sound and story is good, the controls are good. Just not worth the hype its been getting. No replayability. Uncharted is better than this game. Go rent it before you by it. Who knows maybe you will buy into the hype and get easily manipulated like the Masses. Ift his game was not made by Naughty Dog and made by a not well known Dev then I bet you that this game would get low scores. People that give good scores to a game for not being all that great makes the gaming community worse. You give a game a good review and its not good, Devs will just make the same crap and get away with it and take your money and laugh at you. This game does not suck but the overall score sure does. 6.5 out of 10 for me. Beat it now im returning it.. Expand
  22. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. All around amazing!! I just recommend to at least give it a try before you make your own decision. From start to finish this game is incredible, amazing story which is expected since this game comes from the same studio that developed uncharted (naughtydog). Visuals are fantastic, fighting and stealth kills are very unique and fun. I will not be surprised if this game wins a tone of goty awards. This is definitely my game of the year. Like I said before it is definitely worth playing for yourself. Expand
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece!! This game gives me great hope where games can go from here,having played most games you fear "been there done that" not with The Last Of Us. Naughty dog have shown what great developers they are with Uncharted series,but with this game they have stepped into legendary category and Sony's flagship developers. Amazing game with great graphics (probably best looking game on ps3) and a great story arc. The story is the games real strength and how it emotionally draws you in,then throw in suspenseful set pieces with a gritty world and action violence and you've got a gem,and that's what Naughty Dog has given us,probably the ps3 last exclusive gem. Simply put YOU MUST BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  24. Jun 17, 2013
    Extraordinary game! Great story that makes you care about the characters of the game. The game play is effortless and continuously keeps you interested in what’s around the next corner. Love figuring out what’s the best line of defense for getting though enemy riddled areas. A must purchase!
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    If you are coming into this game expecting to be blown away by a complete game, you're going to be disappointed. Nothing revolutionary, gameplay wise, but nothing misplaced, either. Just tried and true elements that feel comfortable, though you can debate whether that's a good thing in a game that's relying on you being drawn in. If this was a TV Show, it'd definitely be worthy of a higher score. The story is definitely quite good. The problem is that its about as interactive as a painting. They went with the 'Open Barn" design philosophy of multiple paths all leading to the same set pieces. This can be a fine choice, but when characters react as though you'd been in a running gun battle in the set piece, when you literally did not make a sound, it really breaks the immersion. This type of game is award fodder, because it's easy to call good because it has a good story, and does a bunch of stuff we're familiar with, but at the end of the day, it feels like they played it too safe, and it could've been even better if they'd been willing to reach. Expand
  26. Jun 15, 2013
    the only people giving this a rating lower 8 are fake ps3 owners aka xbox fanboys... this is one of the best games ever made to date... its a masterpiece. This game is what a true survival game should be... you should be sneaking around and you should be thinking about is it worth it firing this gun.
  27. Jun 14, 2013
    this is not a game.. this story is a real life.. i love this studio and thanks SONY for everything.. after the best game of history (uncharted 3) this.. and i don't now how of this two is better.. thank you ND... thank you sony.. hater please don't ruin the game with 1.. please it is a shame..
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    This game delivers everything you want and need in a game to make it a masterpiece a emotionally investing story and characters, stunning visuals, and tense and immersive gameplay! This is a must buy for anybody!!
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    If you played The Walking Dead, you can skip this. If not, go play it instead of this.
    The Walking Dead has actual, meaningful choices unlike this game. You pretty much do what the game tells you to, and that works for something like Uncharted but not this game. The Walking Dead set the bar for the Zombie theme and this game is not even coming close to it.
    The gameplay itself is even
    worse. Horrible gun play, terrible and unreliable stealth mechanics, bad immersions because your companions can stand face to face with every enemy because they only can see your character. As a huge Uncharted and The Walking Dead fan, I can NOT undertastand how this game got this high score. Expand
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    It made me cry game is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Characters ,graphics,history everything is great about this game everything

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]