• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.1

1. Jun 14, 2013
    I don't know what I can really say about this game without giving anything away, but I will tell you that it is easily in the top ten games that I've played, and I've played a lot of good games, also the characters of Joel and Ellie are absolutely brilliant, I think Ellie has such an amazing premise, and Joel seems to have been affected by the infection in quite a realistic way. The only bad thing I can say about this game is that as good as it is, I don't think it's for everybody, some people might be put off by the atmosphere and violence within the game, while some will love it for the same reason.

If you're thinking of buying this game, then I recommend buying it.
  2. Jun 14, 2013
    This game truly is phenomenal. Naughty Dog proves yet again why they are the kings of the PS3, and arguably gaming in general. The Last of Us gets everything right. The environments, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline, the characters, the graphics. Everything. I really can't say enough how amazing this game truly ended up being.
  3. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us is one of the best games I have ever played. Imagine Uncharted 2/3, that looks better, sounds better, has more engaging characters and a more emotional plot.
    Imagine that with combat which encourages not just multiple playthroughs to try a different strategy, but reloading checkpoints to get your first strategy just right. But that doesn't really do it justice.
    If you
    are looking for a brand new and unique experience, this isn't perfect, but you should play it anyway. If you are looking for one of the best experiences to be found in gaming, you should definitely play The Last of Us. Expand
  4. Jun 14, 2013
    You should realize right from the beginning, you are in for a dark, remorseless journey into survival. Your sympathy is for the two main characters, and some of survivors they meet along the way, but the dread of what is around the corner haunts you for them and like the stunning graphics that never cease to amaze, this game continues to enthrall you down to the last scene. The game play is flawless, and you know this because it never interferes with story and the combat....and Ellie will simply blow you away with her tough independence and fierce instincts....The PS3 deserves this game as a brilliant way to say good-bye to this generation of consoles...worth every cent and worth every play time minute. Expand
  5. Jun 14, 2013
    Very good game. I love all of Naughty Dog's games, they are fun and have very good graphics. Go buy this game now and support ND for making better games on the PS 4!
  6. Jun 15, 2013
    I wouldn't call this game perfect, but it's pretty close for me. I wanted to rate this a 9.8. Since I cannot, I will give it a 10 because it is closer to a 10 than a 9. There IS the occasional glitch (as with most games), but the only thing that really takes me out of the experience is when Ellie will run out in front of the enemies and they will not see her at all! These moments remind you that you're playing a game and take you out of the experience.

Other than that, the story is absolutely top notch, the acting is top notch. One of the most engaging experiences I've ever played. (and I've been gaming since around the age of 3 back in '83!) The combat is underpowered in comparison to other games, but I LOVE that. It really gives a sense of fear and dread as you move along in the game. It really emphasizes the need for stealth. I would recommend this game to almost anyone, except for those who just absolutely loathe stealth games. Even then, you should give it a shot at least for the story and acting. The first 10 minutes will make at least a tear come to your eye. If it doesn't, then you probably aren't human.
  7. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last of Us, its a game that needs no introduction but had to show more than what we were expecting in order to not only keep up with the current generation & next generation games coming out but also live up to the par that Uncharted 2, and Uncharted 3 set for Naughty Dog. The game takes you on a journey that takes you throughout a world 20 years after a pandemic had arose. While keeping new ideas fresh the best thing that "The Last of Us" has going for it is excellent character development backed up with a truly memorable story. So if you are able to get your hands on a copy "The Last of Us" is a game that you do not want to miss out, and that is why it deserves a 9.8/10. Expand
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    Such an immersing world, great characters especially Joel en Ellie. Brilliant and such a fleshed out story i won't forget in a long time. Intense and incredible well put together gameplay mechanics. THE best game i have ever played.
  9. Jun 15, 2013
    I really like this action-survival-horror -next generation game, forget all this MS haters...if I compare the graphics of this great game with GTA IV, Darksiders, Mass Effect 3, Skyrim, Hitman, the action, gameplay, are matchless. It's not a perfect game, not at all, not for all, but I like it and it's my kind of game.
  10. Jun 14, 2013
    Best game this generation along with Uncharted 2 and Red Dead Redemption Everything in this game is top notch Graphics Gameplay Storytelling ,Voice acting and soundtrack This game is one of the reasons why I have a PS3 .
    and when you see a dickhead like GladkyAndrey who rate this game a 3 then change his mind and rate it 0 you know that this game is a beeeeeeaast
  11. Jun 17, 2013
    Best games ever made.
    A 10/10 score is not enough for this game. Naughty dog has made many great games, but this one is the best and probably the best game of this gen.
  12. Jun 14, 2013
    A gripping story about human survival and the re-ignition of love in a bittered heart. The voice acting is perfect, facial animations are top notch and the protagonist becomes a very 'real' person as the story progresses. The graphics are pretty much the best current consoles can offer. The art direction can best be described as 'dreary', perfect for a post-apocalyptic setting. I also love the sound design and the minimalistic sound track producing melancholic instrumental music that really gets you in the right mood. The story is thrust forward using ingame dialog sections, cutscenes and various items you find (such as pamphlets and notes). Overall, the fiction feels very 'real'. Thrillingly able to suspend my disbelief with a mature story.

Gameplay:

The game can be best described as a third person action adventure with lots of stealth elements, and a bit more exploration than you would expect from the creators of Uncharted. The game has a wonderful pace (absolutely not run and gun) and great stealth sections that will have you at the edge of your seat. The stealth reminds me a bit of Manhunt, in which rooms are like puzzles and it is for the gamer to find out efficient ways to get through the rooms. As in Manhunt, taking down enemies feels hefty and combat is raw and visceral. There is also a crafting system in place, in which you use recourses scattered throughout the levels to craft items like health packs and shivs. However, resources are scarce and some items use the same components. So you need to choose: do I want a health pack, or a molotov?

The only downside to the game I found is the fact that sometimes your companions behave unrealistically during stealth sections, wanting to follow you around and obviously showing themselves while doing so. But it doesn't detract from the experience and luckily no alarms are triggered when it happens. Overall the companion AI is good; it is hard to make companions behave perfectly in stealth gameplay (how many games even try it?).

Lastly, I recommend turning off all tips in the options menu so the game doesn't tell you what to do all the time, yet I found the normal difficulty setting challenging enough. Take your time with this one, try to find the hidden resources and be absorbed in the fiction. Uncharted 3 really was more of the same and a bit boring, this is refreshing and gripping. Like Red Dead Redemption and Mass Effect 2, this was a game that just did not bore me. 10/10 for the single player.
  13. Jun 18, 2013
    This is a great game and if you own a Playstation 3 you should play it.

The bad "User" reviews by GonzoGamer and Wilfogn Your other review are all XboX360 games. .
    So my question to you is is? Are you really that stupid, why would you go and give a bad review to a game of a console you don't even have..... You should pursuit a career in politics, you are picture perfect for the job.
  14. Jun 14, 2013
    This is the first survival game in a long while that truly feels like a survival game. You have such limited ammo with your relatively underpowered weapons, that you must strategically plan out each encounter in order to survive. Most games suggest that you explore the environments, but The Last of Us actually forces you to. Without the necessary scavenged crafting supplies used to make health kits, upgraded weapons or booby traps, you simply won’t live through upcoming encounters. Expand
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    This game is absolutely amazing. All around amazing!! I just recommend to at least give it a try before you make your own decision. From start to finish this game is incredible, amazing story which is expected since this game comes from the same studio that developed uncharted (naughtydog). Visuals are fantastic, fighting and stealth kills are very unique and fun. I will not be surprised if this game wins a tone of goty awards. This is definitely my game of the year. Like I said before it is definitely worth playing for yourself. Expand
  16. Jun 14, 2013
    Truly a masterpiece!! This game gives me great hope where games can go from here,having played most games you fear "been there done that" not with The Last Of Us. Naughty dog have shown what great developers they are with Uncharted series,but with this game they have stepped into legendary category and Sony's flagship developers. Amazing game with great graphics (probably best looking game on ps3) and a great story arc. The story is the games real strength and how it emotionally draws you in,then throw in suspenseful set pieces with a gritty world and action violence and you've got a gem,and that's what Naughty Dog has given us,probably the ps3 last exclusive gem. Simply put YOU MUST BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  17. Jun 17, 2013
    Extraordinary game! Great story that makes you care about the characters of the game. The game play is effortless and continuously keeps you interested in what’s around the next corner. Love figuring out what’s the best line of defense for getting though enemy riddled areas. A must purchase!
  18. Jun 15, 2013
    the only people giving this a rating lower 8 are fake ps3 owners aka xbox fanboys... this is one of the best games ever made to date... its a masterpiece. This game is what a true survival game should be... you should be sneaking around and you should be thinking about is it worth it firing this gun.
  19. Jun 14, 2013
    this is not a game.. this story is a real life.. i love this studio and thanks SONY for everything.. after the best game of history (uncharted 3) this.. and i don't now how of this two is better.. thank you ND... thank you sony.. hater please don't ruin the game with 1.. please it is a shame..
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    This game delivers everything you want and need in a game to make it a masterpiece a emotionally investing story and characters, stunning visuals, and tense and immersive gameplay! This is a must buy for anybody!!
  21. Jun 14, 2013
    It made me cry game is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Characters ,graphics,history everything is great about this game everything
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is simply amazing. Naughty Dog is one of the best video game developers in the world, and they continuously keep producing masterpieces like this. This is a must buy for every PS3 owner.
  23. Jun 14, 2013
    The Last Of Us is officially the best game I have ever played. The story is outstanding and brilliant the moment the game starts it hooks you in with the magnificent story. Naughty dog has done an absolute outstanding job with this game and it shows through out the game. The graphics is brilliant and stunning in beauty. The Game play is brilliant the best game play i have ever seen in a game and the controls is extremely smooth and easy to learn. If you have played all 3 uncharted games and thought they were good wait until you play the last of us you will not be disappointed.The last of us is the game to beat for game the year. If you loved uncharted I recommend strongly you play the last of us it will leave you hooked and glued to your TV screen for hours upon hours. I f you have an Xbox 360 trade it in get a PS3 and play this game no Xbox game will ever be as good as the last of us. If naughty dog created such and amazing game that even the critics have given it top scores I cannot wait to see what naughty dog has in store for us in the future. Expand
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    Although this games story isn't no more than 20 hours long. It is perhaps one of the best games of 2013. It just has alot of emotion in the story and makes the entire single player experience one of a lifetime. The main characters Joel and Ellie are developed really well. They feel very human and alive which makes the story pop out even more. I haven't tried multiplayer yet, but after finishing the story I already feel I got my moneys worth.

If people don't like this game then joke is on them, because without a doubt in my personal opinion this is the best game in 2013.
  25. Jun 14, 2013
    Awesome story
    Fun gameplay
    Tense feeling
    And very detailed graphics. Not so good lucking, but very detailed!!
    And Ellie is so lovely!

Am must play for every gamer!
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    This is my first review on meta-critic and for a damn good reason! The Last Of Us is unbelievable, amazing, and epic and solidifies why I play games! This is one of the top games I have played in my entire life and got me very emotionally involved.. For once I am happy to say I receiveded more than what I payed for.. 10/10
  27. Jun 15, 2013
    There is nothing bad I can say about this game. It was fun to play, it hit you where it counts, and it made you genuinely care for the characters. A perfect 10 out of 10 in my opinion.
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    Developer Naughty Dog has added "The Last of Us" to its pristine resume, which has become one of the more prestigious in all of video games. The PlayStation 3 game, which arrives in stores Friday, tells the heartfelt story of Joel and Ellie trying to survive in a world filled with death and woe. It's 20 years in the future, and the human race has been overrun by a parasitic infection that turns people into zombie-like husks that hunt other humans. There is no cure, and the goal for the few remaining humans is to survive.

Joel is an experienced smuggler, an occupation that is strictly forbidden by his quarantine zone's military rule. He is employed by the Fireflies, an organization that fights against the military, to smuggle Ellie across the country. Joel isn't interested in what the Fireflies want with Ellie until details come to light that make this job the most important he's ever taken. The story of "The Last of Us" follows these central characters for a year, as their bond grows during their cross-country journey. This opens opportunities to not only explore the depth of these characters, but also show off post-apocalyptic versions of American locales. The trek begins in Boston and lands in Colorado and Salt Lake City, as well as a lengthy stay in Pittsburgh.

Recognizable Steel City landmarks include the U.S. Steel Tower and the BNY Mellon Center Downtown, along with nods to the Strip District and Fort Pitt Bridge, but the breathtaking art is just background for the human elements on display.

Joel and Ellie's storylines change throughout the game's 13- to 15-hour tenure. In a world overrun with horrific zombie-like creatures, the focus is almost always on the humans. The characters not the infected drive the plot. Much like "The Walking Dead" game and television show, the writers of "The Last of Us" realized that humans are much more intriguing than the mindless zombies around them. The gameplay keeps up with the presentation and narrative. Whether Joel is up against the infected or humans, stealth is key because ammunition is scarce. Quietly taking down foes is a key to success. When that fails, guns are needed, and Joel comes to acquire plenty of them. Being low on ammunition provides an added challenge to the game's combat, but that makes progressing all the more satisfying.

Naughty Dog has created a console-defining masterpiece in "The Last of Us." It achieves the perfect balance between thrilling action and emotional storytelling. It arrived as one of the most hyped games of the year, and it delivers conclusively.
  29. Jun 14, 2013
    For me this is another masterpiece game from Naughty Dog Studio. This time we are living in apocalyptic times which means...if you like walking dead or other zombie/survival movies you will love this game. Graphics are outstanding and characters, as always, absolutely brilliant. The best thing is the "reality" of atmosphere. Usually in apocalyptic games or movies there is an arsenal of guns and stuff here you have to think how to survive a battle. That's something new in games.
    If you considering to buy a new ps4 console, you have to play that game. It's definitely one of the best games on this generation.
  30. Jun 14, 2013
    How can anyone give this game a "60"? TLoU is one of the best games i've ever played.

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]