The Last of Us PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
9.2

1. Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. best game i have played this gen nothing come close to it story AI gameplay music
    the story is very deep and rish
    you care abot the characters
    the music is top notch
    the AI have minor flaws yet better than any game i have played

The Last Of Us is a Masterpiece
  2. Jun 16, 2013
    This game brings back the survival-horror and stealth genre into business, with tight controls, like a polished Uncharted if you must. Totally immersive dialogue, sound and graphics, and the story is nicely spread out through cut-scenes and in-game dialogue-- and everything, from the story to the gameplay, is nicely constructed in a learn-as-you go structure. The gunplay could be better,This game brings back the survival-horror and stealth genre into business, with tight controls, like a polished Uncharted if you must. Totally immersive dialogue, sound and graphics, and the story is nicely spread out through cut-scenes and in-game dialogue-- and everything, from the story to the gameplay, is nicely constructed in a learn-as-you go structure. The gunplay could be better, but over-all this is a must buy, genre redefining, swan song for the PS3. Expand
  3. Jun 15, 2013
    Amazing game. I woke up to play it this morning played for 10 hours, than started on a harder difficulty. Really great story, has an emotional weight laced throughout the game, and had great game play to boot with the addition of the crafting system. Definitely a must own, and game of the year. Story beats the Walking dead telltale series, and Infinite Story. If you can handle the tearAmazing game. I woke up to play it this morning played for 10 hours, than started on a harder difficulty. Really great story, has an emotional weight laced throughout the game, and had great game play to boot with the addition of the crafting system. Definitely a must own, and game of the year. Story beats the Walking dead telltale series, and Infinite Story. If you can handle the tear jerking I highly suggest you get this game and experience the pS3s Swan Song. Expand
  4. Jun 18, 2013
    From the time this game starts to when it ends, The Last Of Us is truly a breathtaking experience. Naughty Dog has managed to craft a game that truly resonates with the players through an emotional story and perfectly developed characters. I've used a lot to big words to describe this game so far,, but what really makes this game truly special is the amount of detail and love that NaughtyFrom the time this game starts to when it ends, The Last Of Us is truly a breathtaking experience. Naughty Dog has managed to craft a game that truly resonates with the players through an emotional story and perfectly developed characters. I've used a lot to big words to describe this game so far,, but what really makes this game truly special is the amount of detail and love that Naughty Dog put into this game. You can tell that they put every ounce of blood, sweat, and tears into this game, and it shines through the incredibly smooth engine utilized by TLOU. I've intentionally left this review spoiler free, so if you want to know more specifics feel free to look online, but by all thats holy BUY THIS GAME. Expand
  5. Jun 16, 2013
    Absolute perfection. I didn't think a game would beat Bioshock Infinite this year, but I just completed the game that did. This game had everything, and everything was perfect. The most emotional intro to a game I've ever played. The best character/player involvement, and the best emotional ride I've ever experienced from a video game. It will take a long time for this game to beAbsolute perfection. I didn't think a game would beat Bioshock Infinite this year, but I just completed the game that did. This game had everything, and everything was perfect. The most emotional intro to a game I've ever played. The best character/player involvement, and the best emotional ride I've ever experienced from a video game. It will take a long time for this game to be dethroned. Right now I have to say it. "Best. Game. Ever! Expand
  6. Jun 16, 2013
    Masterful. Environments are beautiful. Game play is deep. The characters are ones that you actually care for. And the story one of the best in gaming. The ending is truly amazing. You must play this game. It might not be for everyone, but if you've got no problems with some freaky mutated zombies, then play this game.
  7. GFC
    Jun 16, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Before I start this review I will just say I haven't come close to beating this game yet. I have made it to around when you meet Bill for the first time. Well anyways the story so far. It starts off as you playing as Joel's daughter. She woke up from a phone call then went off to find her dad. After an explosion her dad comes in the house. That is where you encounter your first zombie. You get a vehicle with Tommy? He wasn't in the game to much so far so sorry if I got the name wrong. After some retards getting in your way Joel"s daughter gets shot starting off the game From that moment on you know this will be a very sad story. 20 years later Joel is in a little apartment were a girl who seems to be friends with Joel shows up. I forgot her name as well so lets call her Plot Point. The two of them want to kill some guy who stole their guns. After some serious ass kicking Joel and Plot Point find out he sold the guns to the Fireflies. Then out of nowhere the leader of the fireflies shows up. She tells the they have to smuggle something to get their guns back. It turns out the thing they are smuggling is a girl named Ellie. So then Joel and Plot point take Ellie and they proceed to smuggle her. After some luck it turns put Ellie was bitten three weeks ago. When bitten it takes up to 2 days to turn. So Ellie explains to them she might be the cure. After going to the main Firefly place it turns out they just left. that is where it turns out Plot Point was bitten. She wasn't in the game very much and didn't have much character progession so I wasn't sad from her death. I feel like most other characters aren't developed enough so I wonder why even bring them in? After that the plot just kind of goes on.

As for the gameplay it is pure survival horror. There are three enemy types. Infected, Clickers and people. All these enemies feel natural because none of them are overpowered. Humans because they think logically and its easy to shoot them. Infected because they are stupid. And then there are clickers who are interesting. If I clicker gets to you, you are dead. But their downfall is they are blind and they see through sounds much like bats. When ever there is an enemy I feel a rush, Also this game is very stealth based. Since it stays true to survival horror ammo is rare. There are many ways to kill your enemies and I like that.

Some finishing thoughts:

This game looks FANTASTIC! I have never seen a game more beautiful. Also the voice acting is great. It brings the characters to life.

I was going to give this game and 8 from silly things in the story and from under developed characters but Joel and Ellie easily gives this game a 9/10

-GFC
  8. Jun 23, 2013
    The only thing I can really say about The Last of Us is that its something, as a gamer, your gonna want to experience. It has no Uncharted esc moments of epic superhero fun. In fact in this game you can't really say that you are playing as "heroes" and the people you are brutally killing, aren't always bad guys. Its the sort of game that sends chills up your back and keeps you up at nightThe only thing I can really say about The Last of Us is that its something, as a gamer, your gonna want to experience. It has no Uncharted esc moments of epic superhero fun. In fact in this game you can't really say that you are playing as "heroes" and the people you are brutally killing, aren't always bad guys. Its the sort of game that sends chills up your back and keeps you up at night after you finish it. I can't recommend this enough to lovers of good games or good stories. Not only is this a definitive system seller for the Playstation is cements Naughty Dog as a system seller themselves. After seeing this sort of game I don't need to have an announcement or knowledge of what NG will bring to the PS4. Just knowing that they're gonna keep making games is enough to make me fork out my cash and put my faith in Playstation. Expand
  9. Jun 16, 2013
    There isn't a game that can be called "perfect", however there are games where the pros are so many and are so perfectly executed that there is no way a couple of flaws in the game are going to affect your entire experience while playing it.
    The Last of Us is one of those games where even if the game has his fare share of flaws they never seemed to affect the entire experience.
    The good
    The good things about the game are well... pretty much everything that you would consider to make an amazing modern game, everything is in there, the voice acting is incredible, the graphics and visuals are stunning.
    Meanwhile i was playing i couldn't avoid to just stop for a minute to look at every inch of detail that is being put on to the graphics, is just stunningly beautiful to just see how much effort was put into this specific department.
    Aside from that, the gameplay is just excellent.
    To me playing the last of us was an amazing experience, that not that many games out there makes me have for so long as the last of us has had me experiencing, the crafting system is clean, fast, easy, and rewarding, whenever i felt like i was in a foxhole because a hunter was coming straight at me, i just went and checked what i could craft that might kill him or at least distract him long enough for me to make my next move, and the end result was just him going up into flames caused by the just crafted molotov that i threw to him.
    The story is the huge thing about "The Last of Us" is just one of those stories that keep getting much more complex and at the same time much more interesting while you keep playing it through, without getting to a point where it becomes tedious or annoyingly complex like some other amazing games might happen to have.
    Every character is just extremely likable, even the ones that want you to feel mildly disgusted by them they just seem to have such an appreciation that comes from the player just on how well done they are for you to feel that way about them.
    This being made by the excellent voice acting the top notch animations both in cutscenes and in gameplay and of course the stunning visuals that are the most noticeable aspect of the game by many.
    So the story is excellent, the graphics are gorgeous, and the gameplay is fun and entertaining, well, how about the audio, the voice acting and the animations?
    Im pleased to say that each and every single one of those departments delivers such an awesome and dedicated job just as the others.
    The voice acting is amazing one of the best i've ever heard in any video game, is just flawless in most of the different situations that you hear it.
    You can tell when they're scared and shocked by something, even if in some cases it my recycle, like when you bash someones skull with a pipe and then you take cover, Ellie would say "holy s**t Joel!" and then you just go and shoot someone in the head and she would say the line again. But it's never something that breaks you out of the experience although is something obviously noticeable.
    The animations are are the most incredible animations that i've ever seen in a game in my life, and i've played pretty much 90% of games that have come out since the snes, is just flawless when i saw Joel's mouth cringe and his general facial expression showing a sign of struggle coming from a hunter trying to slit his throat with a glass shard, it just adds so much to the experience seeing the animations of this game perform flawlessly in combat or in different small chats that Joel and Ellie might have from time to time.

In conclusion i think "The Last of Us" is the best game for the ps3 and one of the best games that i've ever played is just impressive how Naughty Dog just used every single tool from modern technology and managed to deliver an incredible experience that is gruesome, heartbreaking, and extremely violent in every single way possible, and at the same time just leave you with your stomach tight, your head still and your jaw dropped from playing such a masterpiece.
  10. Jun 15, 2013
    Okay, currently this game is rivalling Uncharted 2 and MGS4 for the best game of this gen.

This game is not afraid to KICK YOU IN THE BALLS, over and over and over again. You'll know what I mean once you play it. The paralyzing opening sequence is one of the best of all time. This game is also the first game ever to be genuinely SCARY. It's the only time in any game (or movie because

This game is also the first game ever to be genuinely SCARY. It's the only time in any game (or movie because horror movies suck these days and are predictable) that I've actually felt fear. The dark areas with clickers will make your heart pound constantly.

And the jaw-dropping artistic visuals, expert voice acting, and insanely detailed animations are the best on consoles ever.

The multiplayer, too, gives the same experience as the story, due to its brilliant design. It feels extremely tense, and sometimes scary too, with so many video-worthy moments per match. Think of a survival-themed SOCOM. Yeah it's almost that tactical.

If you're reading this review, it means you're not playing the game. So get back to playing it!

IN NAUGHTY GOD WE TRUST

Also, who are these poor jealous pathetic xbox teenagers coming here to rage and give this game a zero for a save bug that could be fixed by restarting the system and no progress was lost. (and the bug itself was fixed within hours of the game's release)
  11. Jun 19, 2013
    i had just finished this game and i have say this... this game is epic mind blowing character design is awesome chemistry between Joel and Ellie cool cinematic cut screen epic way capture the emotion action all of plants type zombie where really cool the gun fight between other survivor and bandits where not to bad my personally favorite was Ellie she love to swear a lot lol

to see

to see drama go thru this horror apocalyptic setting was intense and really capture the thrill
    i give this game 10 out of 10
  12. Jun 25, 2013
    A beautiful and emotional piece of art. A magical world that is completed by amazing characters. All items are brought to perfection, is one of the more important games in the history of the computer game.
  13. Jun 14, 2013
    Probably the most emotive and engaging game I have played in years. The shooting mechanics and repetitive combat are the only reasons this doesn't get a 10
  14. Jun 15, 2013
    Im giving this game a 10 out of 10, wish I could give it more. This game is a mixture of amazing voice acting, stunning visuals, great graphics,immersive AND believe world, realistic and attaching characters, and some solid and smooth stealth gameplay. Overall this game is right down my alley in terms of what I like, story driven game, post-apocalyptic world, AMAZING soundtrack. Masterpiece.
  15. Jun 15, 2013
    15 hours in this game i dont know why people talkin about graphics,graphics are insane legendary gameplay ,great conversation it is a masterpiece.
  16. Jun 16, 2013
    Very dark, brutal, and visceral game. The depiction of the last surviving humans after a apocalyptic/extinction event, has never been shown better in a video game. After completing the game, and looking back at everything that took place, I kind of understand not only the main characters but the actions taken by everyone in the game. Gameplay is fairly simplistic and perhaps a littleVery dark, brutal, and visceral game. The depiction of the last surviving humans after a apocalyptic/extinction event, has never been shown better in a video game. After completing the game, and looking back at everything that took place, I kind of understand not only the main characters but the actions taken by everyone in the game. Gameplay is fairly simplistic and perhaps a little repetitive for some, and is the only reason its not getting a 10, However the game excels with the voice performances and writing. Expand
  17. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is superb. I'm at a loss of words when trying to figure out how Naughty Dog could come up with such a masterpiece, but yet again, when have they not? This is a must own for ALL gamers.
  18. Jun 16, 2013
    Honestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This shouldHonestly one of the best games I have ever played in my life. The Last of Us is a step forward for story telling and art in the form of games. A dark, sad, story about survival despite enormous loss that should not be missed by anyone. It's games like this that make me want to shove a controller into someone's hands who thinks of video games as simply something nerdy boys do. This should be experienced by everyone. Expand
  19. Jun 17, 2013
    To Every low score reviewer. 98% of you have nothing to say other than, 'this game is overrated.' You (the reviewers) aren't writing a legitimate review, it's more of a bashing. Some of you seem to write your negative review and somewhere in there write how Bioshock Infinite is a better game...come on, are we really going to take you people seriously. Clearly biased. Besides BioshockTo Every low score reviewer. 98% of you have nothing to say other than, 'this game is overrated.' You (the reviewers) aren't writing a legitimate review, it's more of a bashing. Some of you seem to write your negative review and somewhere in there write how Bioshock Infinite is a better game...come on, are we really going to take you people seriously. Clearly biased. Besides Bioshock infinite has a score of 9.4/8.5 so your argument is invalid. Giving this game a 0 is unnecessary. You clearly have a sour taste in your mouth. A game of this caliber does other deserve a zero. There are FAR worse. Let's just put it this way, your all haters.

-my review in a nutshell-
    Compelling story.
    Great graphics.
    Smooth game play.
    Entertaining Multiplayer.
  20. Jun 14, 2013
    This is how a game should be. This is a masterpiece. This is art. Best adventure/horrorgame I played this year. I don't know why evert character in this game touched my heart; non is forgetable. Amazing! The graphic is just mind blow. The story is mind blow. My mind is blown away. I am fasibated in the world created in this game. Love this game. Deserve every cent. Got it on day one. GetThis is how a game should be. This is a masterpiece. This is art. Best adventure/horrorgame I played this year. I don't know why evert character in this game touched my heart; non is forgetable. Amazing! The graphic is just mind blow. The story is mind blow. My mind is blown away. I am fasibated in the world created in this game. Love this game. Deserve every cent. Got it on day one. Get it people. Irs a must have foreach and every PS3 owner and every real gamer who appreciates real games...and art. Oh man its just so cool. So awsome.it deserved a 10 Expand
  21. Jun 15, 2013
    I have to comment on other's reviews on this game. Some say the beginning is boring and takes long to start bu really if you cant enjoy a good story and prefer action junkie games that is fine, no need for your comments.The multiplayer is amazing! Never have i seen a game push players to use stealth like this game I rated this 10 because for one thing, great facial expression. NothingI have to comment on other's reviews on this game. Some say the beginning is boring and takes long to start bu really if you cant enjoy a good story and prefer action junkie games that is fine, no need for your comments.The multiplayer is amazing! Never have i seen a game push players to use stealth like this game I rated this 10 because for one thing, great facial expression. Nothing makes me feel better than putting someone in a sleeper hold and being able to turn the camera and see the perfeft expression, rather than most games where they pass out with this face And *short tiny unimportant spoiler) when the first important character dies, the FACIAL EXPRESSION URGHHH eminated real emotions :P anyways completely worth the money. Why are you still reading this you could've bought the game already and seen for yourself. ALSO if you can't appreciate a good game and prefer something like Dead Island, I pity your console. Expand
  22. Jun 14, 2013
    Yet another amazing game from the studio Naughty Dog. Phenomenal voice acting, gameplay, soundtrack, immersion, atmosphere. The multiplayer is also very interesting with its tense, strategic, gameplay mechanics. You know you are getting your money's worth and more when you purchase a Naughty Dog game.
  23. Jun 15, 2013
    One of the best games this gen. I'm not overhyping it to get people to buy it. Nope. This is a genuine review. The Last of Us is a masterpiece, in ever way. From story to gameplay to graphics (which might not seem that impressive to some after the next gen reveals at E3) to voice acting, etc. The game is simply perfect. Get it as soon as possible.
  24. Jun 15, 2013
    TLOU is the best game I have ever played to date. Never mind about the negative comments which I believe came from users who never played the game. If you are a gamer get this game ASAP.
  25. Jun 15, 2013
    A masterpiece! What I look for in a game is how well I am immersed. This game is completely gripping. Its long there is no follow me markers on the characters and it seamlessly blends realism and fiction. Just Incredibly well done. Did I mention how gorgeous the graphics are?
  26. Jun 14, 2013
    Para empezar era de ver que la pagina Quarter to Three le daba puntaje bajo, porque esto no es un Zen Pinball! y para todos los que les gusten los shooter no compren The Last of Us, por que esto no lo es! Es un excelente juego realizado, por su en foque, de dos personas totalmente distintas, tratando de sobrevivir! a música de Gustavo Santaolalla es tremenda mente genial! los gráficosPara empezar era de ver que la pagina Quarter to Three le daba puntaje bajo, porque esto no es un Zen Pinball! y para todos los que les gusten los shooter no compren The Last of Us, por que esto no lo es! Es un excelente juego realizado, por su en foque, de dos personas totalmente distintas, tratando de sobrevivir! a música de Gustavo Santaolalla es tremenda mente genial! los gráficos son realmente geniales, el entorno, la atmósfera que transmite el juego es genial! al que le gusta ir con paciencia y no corriendo y matando, este es tu juego para jugarlo muchas horas! Ojo a mi me gusta jugar flippers! Expand
  27. Jun 15, 2013
    I haven't finished yet but I can assure this game is one of the best experiences I had in my gamer live. It's like when you see Rapture fo the very first time, or when you summon your first Aeon in Final Fantasy X... i have no words to express that feeling about being in front something really bigger than you. But I have to say this sensations just keeps repeating over and over almostI haven't finished yet but I can assure this game is one of the best experiences I had in my gamer live. It's like when you see Rapture fo the very first time, or when you summon your first Aeon in Final Fantasy X... i have no words to express that feeling about being in front something really bigger than you. But I have to say this sensations just keeps repeating over and over almost every time an event occur in this game... Also the characters, even the secondary ones, are absolutely memorable and you can feel they are truly alive with their fears and motivations. The atmosphere is absolutely phenomenal with all those plants growing trough the city concrete, the dak zones where you need your torch (which finally it's of unlimited use). The game punishes you so hard if you play trigger happy or if you take damage relying on the health packs that you will realize how easy are the vast majority of the games we actually play. If you are looking for an Uncharted type of game with its one-liners, grenades, assault rifles,regenerative health bars... just forget it. If you want to live a different really hardcore experience with scarce checkpoints just buy the game, select the hard difficulty and let the game drive you to the best experience in gaming i had in years. Expand
  28. Jun 14, 2013
    this is the best game i have played in awhile and its better than bioshock threes story and that was very good. the graphics and the character facial expressions are amazing. the gameplay is fun u have multiple ways to approach killing humans and infected which causes u to change the way u approch the humans and infected. somebody spoiled the ending for me and i still am enjoying everythis is the best game i have played in awhile and its better than bioshock threes story and that was very good. the graphics and the character facial expressions are amazing. the gameplay is fun u have multiple ways to approach killing humans and infected which causes u to change the way u approch the humans and infected. somebody spoiled the ending for me and i still am enjoying every min i play. this game is a must buy Expand
  29. Jun 17, 2013
    As much as the game's presentation is fantastic, I can't help but escape the feeling that for most of the game, I'm playing a film. This screams great things for the graphics, level design and voice acting, however not being in the action can make the game feel slow and, at times, there is no real urgency to press on. On top of this, the game's difficulty appears to increase dramaticallyAs much as the game's presentation is fantastic, I can't help but escape the feeling that for most of the game, I'm playing a film. This screams great things for the graphics, level design and voice acting, however not being in the action can make the game feel slow and, at times, there is no real urgency to press on. On top of this, the game's difficulty appears to increase dramatically in the first few hours of the story; after complaining about one Clicker accompanied by three or four Runners (not because I thought it was too much, Clickers just require an element of tactical play), I was shortly presented with a situation in which I was expected to fend off upwards of three Clickers. Dying in what is effectively one hit can be frustrating, although it becomes quite rewarding when you achieve what you set out to in situations dealing with the infected.
    The Last of Us is without a doubt the best looking console game to have existed, and the immersive gameplay does well to keep you interested in the story. I cannot comment on the multiplayer as I have not yet tried it, however I have heard good things about it.
  30. Aug 20, 2013
    I have played this game three times so far and I am not bored or tired of it. The story and the characters keep bringing me back for more. The game, itself, is visually beautiful; the landscapes of nature and the decay of man's civilization are captured perfectly. The Game Play is easy to master. The collectibles add depth to the characters and the story, as well as give you newI have played this game three times so far and I am not bored or tired of it. The story and the characters keep bringing me back for more. The game, itself, is visually beautiful; the landscapes of nature and the decay of man's civilization are captured perfectly. The Game Play is easy to master. The collectibles add depth to the characters and the story, as well as give you new abilities in combat. Overall this game is almost without flaws. Get this game, submerge yourself in its world, explore the world and characters that naughty dog have created for us. Amazing. Expand

1. Sep 16, 2013
  2. Sep 10, 2013
  3. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Sep 4, 2013
    Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]