• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Jun 14, 2013
User Score
9.1

Universal acclaim- based on 6154 Ratings

User score distribution:

Review this game

  1. Your Score
    0 out of 10
    Rate this:
    • 10
    • 9
    • 8
    • 7
    • 6
    • 5
    • 4
    • 3
    • 2
    • 1
    • 0
    • 0
  1. Submit
  2. Check Spelling
  1. Aug 27, 2014
    10
    3 Words only. Best. Game. Ever...

    Recommended for everyone best game ever created, its sad, and awesome! I will play forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  2. Aug 27, 2014
    10
    Certainly the most powerfully and effectively written storyline in game media I have played to date. Replaying difficult sections can be frustrating but only if you insist on playing on a difficult setting. The gameplay serves the storytelling effectively while continuing to be entertaining for the majority of the game.

    The game's ability to predict my future actions in the intro was
    stunning. Because the game seemed to respond to me, and didn't feel scripted. I was floored by this game, and I will remember it fondly. Expand
  3. Aug 27, 2014
    9
    A great story which happens to be told in a video game format. Although the story overpowered the video game experience. Only for that it's not a 10 for me.
    STORY AND CHARACTERS: Perfect story and perfect balance between the two main characters. There's no good or bad here. Only hope and the need to survive
    PRESENTATION: Naughty Dog has used the PS3 like no other developer. When we think
    you can't see anything better than the Uncharted series they pull this off!
    GAMEPLAY: this is where i hoped to see a bit more of the video game experience. It's not totally balanced and you don't feel comfortable because of the scarce resources. I know it's meant to be this way but a little more action wouldn't harm the game.
    ONLINE: Played it a couple of times but it's not Naughty Dog forte.
    An experience that pushes video games to a different level. Absolutely mandatory.
    Expand
  4. Aug 27, 2014
    5
    The Last of Us абсолютно линейна. Любой уровень — это, по сути, коридор с небольшими ответвлениями, в которых разложены ножницы, изолента, патроны и аптечки (а также мусор, который, кажется, прибили к полу). Все они следуют друг за другом в установленном порядке. В каком-то смысле The Last of Us — это зомби-аналог RPG Final Fantasy XIII (а та, как известно, считается образцом плохого гейм-дизайна). Обе игры абсолютно линейны, состоят преимущественно из боев и сюжетных сцен и не предоставляют возможности напрямую контролировать поведение напарников. В обеих играх все очень неплохо с графической составляющей — правда, приходится признать, что с точки зрения анимации и мимики персонажей The Last of Us с легкостью обходит FF XIII.

    Если коротко, то у Naughty Dog получилась игра, за прохождением которой любопытно наблюдать — а вот проходить ее менее интересно. Студия доказала две вещи: во-первых, зомби по-прежнему востребованы. Во-вторых, видеоигра может вызывать как минимум такую же эмоциональную отдачу, как и, например, телесериал. Пока, правда, не очень понятно, куда это выведет студию в следующий раз. Быть может, новая работа Naughty Dog станет компьютерным мультфильмом с некоторыми интерактивными элементами — или, напротив, у компании получится совместить захватывающую историю и симпатичных персонажей с качественным геймплеем.

    Источник: http://lenta.ru/articles/2013/06/21/lastofus/
    Expand
  5. Aug 23, 2014
    10
    My best experience in the video game world, masterpiece. Gameplay, scenario, feels, so, all they good in this game, I waw marked by this experience, it's a true masterpiece.
  6. Aug 23, 2014
    10
    I don't understand the low scores some people have given to this game at all. IMO it is one of the best, if not THE best game I've ever played. I was so caught up in the story that I cried more than once. Yeah, some of the puzzle type things are repetitive - like finding pallets - but the story, the characters, the environments and the fighting more than make up for it - besides you don't have a lot to work with after 20 years of a violent plague almost wiping out mankind. I liked finding ammo and things to craft with and, for me anyway, I found the sneaking and fighting very challenging on the Normal setting. I'm an avid 60 year old gamer and I'm not out to prove I can beat the game on super hard mode, I don't try for all the trophies and I'm not a trolling fan boy - I enjoy a good game with a great story and this game has it!!! In spades!! I'm on my 3rd go round and cannot stop playing it. The characters and the things they go through are so realistic. The voice acting is phenomenal and the other sounds in the environment are extremely realistic. The infected enemies are scary as **** and the human enemies are sometimes worse! It was very satisfying whacking the crap out of them with a melee weapon. I found the controls pretty easy once you got used to them. I did have to die a few times in some places but I always managed to figure out different strategies for killing all enemies and getting all loot.
    This game kept me interested all the way through and more - not like the disappointing Watch Dogs where I was bored to death after a few chapters - The Last of US is definitely worth your money and I can't wait for the upcoming movie I heard about. Joel and Ellie get my vote for the best voiced and best written characters in any video game ever made!!
    Expand
  7. Aug 23, 2014
    7
    This is THE most overrated I have ever played. But read on - I'm not a mindless hater. The game is good, It's just not as good as everyone is leading you to believe.
    So The Last of Us is a game from Naughty Dog, and as such - it comes with some privileges, like better understanding of PlayStation Tech and a pretty huge budget. This guarantees it won't be a bad game, and it's not. But let
    me tell you why it isn't the masterpiece everyone has been leading all of us to believe it is.
    Graphically, it's a pretty game. A lot of people go out of their way to tell us how beautiful it is. And sure, some scenes do look awesome, some views are indeed, as Ellie points out at least 50 times during the game, pretty good, but it isn't the best looking PS3 game, nor the best that Naughty Dog have delivered. If you disagree, go back and play Uncharted 3 again - better design, better texture quality. It is pretty obvious that this game has been toned down from the PS4 version to be released on PS3.
    The sound and voicework are pretty awesome, as most games from this dev delivered thus far. Some soundtrack choices are peculiar, but haunting and moving none the less.
    However, the writing of the game is noticeably worse than what we've come to expect from Naughty Dog. Particularly, Ellie's part is written terribly, giving the actress no actual words to work with. And the overall plot has huge issues, mainly the fact that the game is not about anything. It isn't about Joel and Ellie and their relationship, it's not about a journey, it's not even about saving human kind - it's just a game with nothing to say. It's a empty, fun vessel and nothing more. The Director missed too many of opportunities to make this experience special or noteworthy. The most interesting part of The Last of Us are the Infected, though the game isn't much about them either. / SPOILERS / And the ending is too disappointing to even be considered a proper ending. Without giving too much away, it practically makes the whole game entirely pointless. Most games end with the player saving the world, or someone special. The world - obvious choice, it makes everyone feel at least a bit happy with their experience. However, this game forces you to make the other choice and save someone special. However, the game didn't give me not one reason to really care and like neither Joel or Ellie, and even if you like them - the thing is that the game does not make you feel for Ellie as Joel feels for her, and that is where the problems lie, in my opinion. / END SPOILERS /
    Gameplay is probably the strongest point of The Last of Us, however there are a few issues with pacing here and there, along with a few really awkward decisions that lead nowhere. Even at that, both stealth sections and gunfights are intense, well-thought out and balanced - probably the best we've seen from Naughty Dog.
    And that is pretty much it. It's a weak "The Walking Dead" spinoff, that is not that great. It's not a "masterpiece" - a 100%, a 10/10 or a 5/5. A game considered a masterpiece must have meaning, better writing, and not only good looks, but good design too. To me, everyone who gives this game above an 8 is either dumb or has been paid to do so. If you don't agree on my points - go play The Walking Dead Season 1, there you can see how much better executed is a very similar plot.
    Most people have heard probably of BioShock Infinite - a game that was not so overhyped. I'm bringing it up, because it's a good example to compare The Last of Us with - about writing, about how the game is directed to make you care and about the fact that it contains meaning, it contains something that will haunt you until you die. This is something The Last of Us strives to achieve, but I believe that ultimately it's bad directing and a weak plot that bring it down from greatness.
    The Last of Us is indeed the most overrated game I have ever seen and played. However, that does not mean it's not a good game - it is. It's fun, very fun in fact, and I do recommend it, because there is something to it. It's just not the masterpiece everyone is now almost taught to say it is.
    Expand
  8. Aug 21, 2014
    10
    I not going to lie, but this game is nearly perfect. The story is good. Though if you a story like this before is no surprise. The writing makes the game feel and sound real. The story feel a natural pace. There's zombie, but they're not zombies. The game calls them "Infected". There's three types of them: Runners will run and smack you. Clickers will walk up to you and kill you in one move. And Bloaters just Clickers but stronger. This game claim to be horror but the game isn't scary. To the people say I just going to watch it on Youtube are dumb. Is not the story that's makes the game good is the experience. There's online and is good as the game. I say get it. This game is at PS3 and PS4. Expand
  9. Aug 21, 2014
    5
    Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum. Expand
  10. Aug 21, 2014
    10
    This is not a review, this is a love letter to Naughty dog :)
    This is not a video game, this is interactive experience and absolutely the best game I have ever played.
    First of all, I don't,like Apocalypse, games, somehow they are not exactly my cup of tea. But this lifeless world is in a specific way full of life. Life, your life and way more important, girls life. The way i felt while
    playing The Last of us i felt so emotional and the atmosphere was so intensive that i could feel the weight of a burden to preserve girls life. Very story driven, absolutely awesome characters and great actors. Game design is great and I mean in functional and aesthetic way. Foliage is greener than in far cry witch is synonym for paradise on virtual earth.
    Stealth great, AI very good, combat very good, graphics stellar ( how PS 3 could handle this I don't, know)
    In any way a must have game.
    Clear 10 :)
    Expand
  11. Aug 19, 2014
    10
    I rarely complete videogames, as I often find plots boring: this game made me change how I look to videogames plots. Amazing, nothing else to say. I loved it and I still love it
  12. Aug 18, 2014
    1
    The content of this game is great 10 out of 10. The gameplay is challenging and you have to use your brain for good strategy. The only problem is I beat it in about 25hrs or 1 weekend. I was not able to max out any of my weapon upgrades or health upgrades. I spent a lot of time searching rooms and drawers too. I would say I probably searched at least 90% or the areas so its not like I just ran through it. I spent about $40 on it so I am a little disappointed. These types of games are fun but they are not made to repeat over and over. So basically I am done with it. Expand
  13. Aug 18, 2014
    10
    By far the best game I have ever played. You instantly feel for the characters. It's frightening, intense and often induces a small tear and a tight chest. Absolutely loved it and would play it again and again. The story is gripping from the word go, the combat panic inducing at times. A perfect mix of everything that makes a truly epic game. It is a very scary premonition of the world were this to truly happen. Loved every second. Never have I been so apprehensive as to open a door. Expand
  14. Aug 17, 2014
    8
    Lets get this out of the way immediately: The Last of Us is a fantastic experience and you should play it. However, I think that the game itself has been praised so much that its many little flaws have been ignored by most.

    The story itself is that of a zombie apocalypse with a different name; clickers are innovative in the way that they are blind, this allows you to play along with the
    stealth mechanic. Other than that, they are just zombies. Also, why the fungae needs to be spreaded through open wounds (bites and scratches) while there are spores for aerial contagion -which, anyone who has played Plague Inc would agree this is the best way to get a virus to spread- is baffling to me.

    I will not spoil anything, but I think the ending could have been bleaker. By the end, I was not sympathizing with Joel at all, he was just being a selfish dick.
    I think Naughty Dog was playing it safe and I did not appreciate the ending.

    The Stealth Mechanic works great for Joel, however, your AI companions can be really stupid. Specially when you get around with Bill, I remember at one point while entering an infected-ridden zone, he muttered the line "We must be quiet here", right before blasting off his very loud shot gun at an infected and ruining my whole stealth approach.

    This would also have happened (quite a lot) with Ellie, since her running around right under the nose of the enemies was quite a common occurrence. Thankfully the AI seems locked to only take up on Joel's movements and actions, so your companion's AI behavior won't affect them (companion AI behavior will only affect enemy response if they fire a shotgun at their face - Thanks again, Bill). This was appreciated, but it broke the immersion a bit.

    I noticed a few glitches here and there, also some ragdoll physics and the obvious texture pops are evidence of the last-gen power of the PlayStation 3. However, they are completely right to call this a fitting swansong to the system; it really pushes it to its limit and its an absolute success in that. Environments are gorgeous and I couldn't help feeling ompletely distracted by the vistas, especially in the Spring part of the game.

    The characters are greatly fleshed out, they react to almost everything the game has to offer, even the innane chatting while traversing an uneventful section of town is magnificently human. Ashley Johnson's portrayal of a 14 year old girl toughened up by the circumstances the world is facing is absolutely engaging, and Troy Baker's worn down southener that is Joel is an absolute pleasure to listen to.

    Gustavo Santaolalla's soundtrack is perfect for this game, its bleak and gloomy and I wish it would have continued so until the very end.

    Still, you can't miss out on this game; its a beautiful experience that tells a tale of a broken down man that has severed himself from society even in a time that you would think mankind should stand together and not jump at each other's troath.

    This is still a blockbuster AAA game, with the Naughty Dog trademark all over it (a bit Uncharted-y at times, I feel) but with fleshed out characters and an entertaining story. Despite its many little flaws, hopefully this game's popularity is turning enough heads in the industry on what gamers are expecting from developers.

    Lastly, don't miss out on the multiplayer. The single player mechanics work surprsingly well and its quite challenging.
    Expand
  15. Aug 16, 2014
    10
    The only decent game I have played in a while and it's made for a relic. Imagine if this was built taking advantage of a high end PC. I gave a ten as compared to the other 99% of crappy games out there this comes out tops, a rather sad thing to say about the gaming industry.
  16. Aug 16, 2014
    0
    To be honest, this game is completely overrated game ever. The graphic is great, but the gameplay is boring that can even make me sleep, and the story suck. they were saying best game ever even this game didn't release, even the zombie's design suck his head is like walnut. I have no idea why the people say this is best game ever, the truth is, it is most overrated game ever.
  17. Aug 15, 2014
    7
    Unfortunately someone on here has to write a real review so here you go, you're welcome.

    The Last of Us won over 200 GOTY awards. Don't forget that fact, no Sony fan will ever let you. Does that make it a good game? Absolutely not.

    As has come to be expected from Naughty Dog, The Last of Us excels in presentation. Truly, the art, overall graphics, animation, even the voice acting are
    phenomenal. You won't find better than them in any other title. Beyond Two Souls is on par, but not better, when it comes to presentation. The dialogue seems legit and it is often times entertaining.

    Unfortunately after you get over that, The Last of Us is nothing more than a meme-stuffed stroll through the drudgery of not only video game cliches, but also the rest of popular media. Comparisons have been made to Cormac McCarthy and the similarity is only cosmetic if you examine the Road and TLOU side by side. Comparisons can be made to The Book of Eli, I Am Legend, and literally every other zombie movie that has ever been made - because that's what this is, an emulation of the zombie genre, but not a parody.

    The gameplay in The Last of Us is absolutely mind numbing. Whether it's the lack of variety or the overall redundancy of every single segment save the very first 20 minutes of the game, there is absolutely nothing entertaining about it. As the game progresses you are simply playing a movie and the only way to progress it is to get from cutscene to cutscene. Once you realize this, you'll also come to the realization that just like Uncharted, the Last of Us is an overrated blockbuster whose merits come from technical accomplishment - and not from actual gameplay, which should be the defining characteristic of a video game.

    Ignoring the plot holes involving Ellie and Joel, the gameplay changes once you switch characters, but only for about 20 minutes, and not in any way that should be remotely unfamiliar to survival horror enthusiasts. After that, the gameplay changes again from a somewhat stealth driven survival game into a flat out murder simulator, just like Uncharted, and it sheds all former pretense of being interesting, ending in one ridiculous shootout sequence that would give Uncharted 3 a run for its money.

    The only saving grace to the gameplay is the multitude of multiplayer modes. Essentially it is just team deathmatch, but the survivalist aspects of the game and the moderate realism have been worked in to make it truly interesting while at the same time hilarious. I've never played another game where someone beating me to death with a plank of wood was so hilarious - whether because it's stupidly overpowered or a riot to watch.
    Expand
  18. Aug 14, 2014
    10
    A masterpiece that surpasses Uncharted 2 and tells a realistic tale and gives a vicious gameplay. I'm just wordless with this game. It's just amazing.

    Yep.
  19. Aug 13, 2014
    7
    Ah finally a game that simulates/plays a survival horror/adventuresque post-apocaly.....wait....this has been done before....but not quite as good looking, The Last of Us is essentially a lovechild of Resi 4/ Uncharted/Metal Gear/The Road and I AM LEGEND....Sounds great on paper but just doesn't give you the big hype reaction you were hoping especially on it's PS4 Revival, Humanity has been hit hard by the Cordyceps Fungus infecting Human hosts and turning them into the usual BS of some sort of infected man eating fungus zombie hybrid, in comes Joel... A tragedy and years of survival against the infected have made Joel into Battle Hardened Bear Grylls minus the camera crew, fortunately Joel is very likeable an despite his cold Solid Snake killing skills he is a pretty good guy... he almost takes as much damage as wolverine in this story which is crazy....until you meet certain enemies... see the games enemies are Humans who are armed like gears of war characters, Infected Humans who haven't turned fully but still have a serious killer instinct and Metal Gear Extreme difficulty vision which is really irritating especially when the Stealth sections start, also we have Clickers and Bloaters... Clickers are humans that have been overtaken by the Fungus and do not have any sight but instead rely on hearing you creep around seriously any movement and your screwed and especially in tight spots the enemies can come in all varieties and quickly over power you causing a brutal and cheap death, the infected humans barrage you like flies on poo and then sometimes the clickers do instant kills seriously it gets old very quickly and even if your not moving sometimes the clickers just kill you anyway it's like hey screw it I cant see you but I'm gonna eat you anyway! Then we have the Bloaters.... Best way to describe them is like the Tank Zombies in left for dead except these guys take tons of damage before they die and can see you any way and throw these like fungus bombs at you alerting all other enemies in the vicinity! However you only see a couple throughout the whole campaign so that can be forgiven, in comes Ellie, she is basically a rip off of Ellen Page.. but she's ok an only a couple of times does she become a liability, she has a ridiculous boss battle where the boss does one hit kills which really drove me nuts! Apart from the skanky cheap deaths the game is stunning on PS3 and really has pushed the machine to the limits, the Graphics are slick and virtually flawless however some of the cut scenes are in game engine or sometimes CGI... and trigger some obscene loading times and even saving can take upto a minute....the music is awesome and the voice acting great some really nice pieces have been written in and the story is okish... sometimes the controls just don't do what you want them to do and sometimes drops you into....you guessed it an instant death! which sucks I nearly smashed my pad playing this but apart from overpowered enemies, ok chase scenes and some stupid encounters the game is pretty enjoyable the story kept me going and I really wanted to stick with Joel and Ellie and watch them succeed and their relationship grow, now throw in the PS4.... Yesus... the PS4 version has been given 60 FPS and 1080p resolution... Whoopy doo I don't care every game developer says the same crap these days 1080 bla bla our game is crap but it's in 1080p while the game does have a bit more detail than it's PS3 it's not worth shelling out for a PS4 and the updated "Remastered" game... did a game that's barely a year old really need to be Remastered? Answer.... no not really, ok so you get loads of multiplayer crap and the Left Behind DLC but if you have already bought for PS3 don't rebuy, I personally enjoyed Uncharted 2 + 3 more but if you want a great story it's worth maybe getting hold of the PS3 version but if PS4 is your only choice then go for that. Expand
  20. Aug 11, 2014
    9
    The Storyline is amazing, even though the ending wasn't as satisfying. Awesome graphics and voice acting, The stealth can be just a little boring sometimes but overall it's a must have game for people who love games with an amazing storyline
  21. Aug 11, 2014
    9
    The Last of Us was definitely one of this years best games. The writing, voice acting, and story were all extremely solid. It sucks you in and keeps you engaged in a flowing narrative and the game play did its best to keep you engaged and working to progress. The one negative I could find would be that on occasion you feel like the developers simply inserted the same puzzle in a different scenario which tends to feel more like a chore than a puzzle at that point. Expand
  22. Aug 9, 2014
    10
    I've been a PC gamer for the majority of my life and I really wanted to try this game out. I just never wanted to spend the money on a console (ps3). During the release of the PS4, it made sense to hop on board, due to the amount of exclusives that Sony has. This is by far one of the best single-player games I've ever played in my lifetime. This is up there with Half-Life (insert all the expansions), Half-Life 2, Bioshock, and many others. Expand
  23. Aug 9, 2014
    6
    I felt restricted by the banality of the puzzles and the sections where the 'run button' is deactivated. The excellence of the art and level design is moderately entertaining, even when Joel is restricted to slowly walk through 10 minute sections. So it takes a non-gamer mindset to appreciate the game, imagining what the world has been like leading up to the state presented, rather than a classic problem-solving approach where you are fully attended to progressing through the game. When Call of Duty shows technical excellence and standard gameplay, I call it an entertaining game. TLoU is similar in its ratio of technical excellence vs gameplay innovation. It's entertaining and a feast for the eyes. But the exciting zombie franchise is still called The Walking Dead, and the exciting Naughty Dog franchise is called Uncharted.

    I leaned towards a 7/10 or even 8/10, but I stopped playing after completing the campaign. No alternative game modes (except online) to play around with. No exciting trophies to attempt. Just a few dozen inconsequential collectibles scattered throughout the campaign, and trophies for completing it several times. In a campaign where so many sections play on the strength of surprise and 'first-sight-marvel' I'd just rather play something else after seeing it once.

    The ending is satisfying, but you could just read a plot summary and then watch the final hour on Youtube and get what the game wanted to tell. I liked the message (hint: love) but it wasn't necessary to trod through so many hours of slow progression to feel the impact of the story.
    Expand
  24. Aug 9, 2014
    10
    The Last of Us um dos melhores jogos que já joguei na minha vida, o enredo emocionante, cada detalhe do jogo é fantástico , gráficos muito bons, a Naught Dog ta de parabéns ,pra mim seria o game do ano, obra prima mesmo.
  25. Aug 8, 2014
    7
    Solid writing, well paced story, and impressive visuals make for an entertaining adventure. However repetitive level design, and clunky AI will none the less detract from your experience in The Last of US.
  26. Aug 8, 2014
    9
    Oh, The Last of Us...this game amazed me! From the start to the beginning, this game is filled with action, great animations and deep emotions until the end.
    Naughty Dog shows at the end of the last console generation what the PS3 is capable of! I never thought, that the Playstation 3 was able to build such amazing graphics.
    The only negative thing: hours of playtime...sadly it was like
    this in the Uncharted series too but it was totally worth it to play this 16 hours of this masterpiece! Expand
  27. Aug 3, 2014
    10
    I don't know what to say, I don't remember much... because it blew my mind. There is nothing left of me except the awestruck face I am frozen with. Never ever will I dismiss games as being just for adolescents again. Do your country justice and buy this game NOW!!!
  28. Aug 3, 2014
    10
    One of the best games I have ever played. Gameplay, graphics, storyline controls all thought out well and makes for a game that will always remember look forward to playing again in the remastered version.
  29. Jul 30, 2014
    10
    Лучшая игра за десять лет. Ну и вы понимаете, почему 10 лет. Сюжет, персонажи, геймплей - все в игре идеально сделано.
    Поэтому просто 10 из 10. Всем рекомендую купить игру, если нет возможности, то просто посмотреть её видео-прохождение.
  30. Jul 29, 2014
    10
    This game is a work of art. Top-notch voice acting, beautiful graphics, and a story that left me in tears by the end of the first segment of the game. The combat is nothing too special and the puzzles are often easy and just minor annoyances, and there are a few kinks with the games AI, but all of this is eclipsed by the amount that this game achieves in terms of storytelling and characters. To me, this is about as perfect as a game can get. Expand
  31. Jul 29, 2014
    10
    I've heard mixed reviews on this game ranging from "it's too boring and slow moving" to "this is the greatest game of all time". I can now say, after playing through the bulk of this game, that I completely understand both sides of reviews. For those of you who want an adrenaline rush of game play with constant action, go elsewhere for your gaming experience as this is not the game for you.

    However, those of you who enjoy imaginative immersion in a well-crafted storyline, realistic/believable characters, beautiful artwork and game design, exploration, and solid game play, look no further. The environments are mesmerizing, the character movement is gorgeous, the dialogue and voice acting is superb, the mix of stealth/scavenging/shooting within the twists and turns of the games story is as excellent as video games come.

    The game basically plays as a 3rd person shooter (think Resident Evil 4+5) with stealth elements (think Splinter Cell) and crafting (again, think Resident Evil 4+5). Additionally, as you traverse the lengths of the storyline, you will find yourself in a myriad of settings ranging from (but not limited to) the outskirts of the city refuge to a deserted town and all the way to the wilderness, university campus, and sewers. Each new area and chapter in the game flows along the tide of TLoU's amazingly executed storyline - and the characters you play as become increasingly unique, realistic, and dear to your heart. I cannot tell you how astounded I was throughout my first play through. I can honestly say that the enjoyment of this game remained throughout the second play through as well.

    *I believe my total play through time for the game was roughly around 18 hours or so. I suppose it would depend on how quickly you are attempting to finish - my style included quite a bit of exploration and a steady pace throughout to soak up the beauty of the game.

    Definitely within the top 5 best games I have ever experienced. Well worth the price of a ps3 for this game alone. I would highly recommend for post-apocalyptic enthusiasts.
    Expand
  32. Jul 28, 2014
    6
    As a walking simulator, 10/10. As a video game, 6/10. Most of the game is a mixture of perambulatory locomotive dislocation with a few moments of hide-run-shoot. I liked the style of the snowy villa area and boss, but the bulk of the decrepit architecture and overall world design made me realize that maybe, just maybe, meandering around the end of the world isn't the entertainment fest everyone knows it will be. Expand
  33. Jul 28, 2014
    9
    Very good game but I got bored shooting at humans, I think it should be all about killing zombies which is much more fun. And what is the point in a fight between survivors?
  34. Jul 26, 2014
    10
    The Last of Us is my favorite Playstation 3 game. The gameplay and story are just perfect. Online multiplayer is engaging and extremely addicted. This is one of the best games ever made.
  35. Jul 25, 2014
    10
    Masterpiece of a game and will be a legendary game in the video game franchise for as long as they exist. The story is just excellent, the gameplay is very good (some occasional bugs, for example when you are sneaking about trying to avoid the clickers or normal enemies sometimes ellie will run about and walk straight into them but they wont notice her at times) its the second best game of the last generation, behind GTA V . Expand
  36. Jul 22, 2014
    10
    This is one of the only games were I have been emotionally attached to the characters. It is by far the best game I have ever played. I have the remastered edition preordered as well. This game is truly legendary.
  37. Jul 22, 2014
    5
    Don’t get fooled by the over the moon positive reviews. I think this game is overrated. It is a stealth zombie game full of post-apocalyptic clichés. And the stealth mechanic does not work all that well. It is hard remain undetected and if spotted you get exposed to a frustrating head-on fight with enemies attacking from any direction. The levels are big and most of the time there is no clear indication where to go. So you will want to kill all enemies in a cluster and then search for an exit, which makes true stealth game play difficult or even impossible. The game bored me too much. Mid-game I changed the difficulty to easy and forced myself to finish it. I wish I'd skipped this game. Count me out for The Last of Us 2 Expand
  38. DGF
    Jul 21, 2014
    8
    The Last of Us is a game with beautiful visuals, excellent characters, a powerful presentation, and emotionally moving story, beautiful relationships, unpredictable development, and basically everything it needs to make it a 10 out of 10 masterpiece. Except for one thing, gameplay. Although the last of us includes many good habits and different things to have it turn out to be a great story game, the gunplay in last of was clunky and boring, the hand to hand combat being clumsy and repetitive, and the only thing that really stood out about it gameplay wise was the clickers and bloaters. Being a fan of every game genre, i am really disappointed in naughty dog having to make me say that the last of us would make a better movie than a game, or maybe a walking dead sort of thing. However, if you are in the mood for a good story, then im sure you can get past tlou's incredibly boring gameplay to expirence naughty dogs beautiful yet emotionally brutal outcomes of the story. An unpredictable tale, i shall call it. enjoy this great story! Expand
  39. Jul 20, 2014
    2
    I got this game on Christmas and Played it for one night got stuck and never picked it back up until recently, and I regret it. THIS IS THE AMAZING SURVIVAL EXPERIENCE EVERYONE IS FAWNING OVER! It pisses me off even more that Metro Last Light came out this year and yet this piece of instant kill **** is the one that got all the attention. The game relies on the Instant killing clickers for Its difficulty, because those are the only enemy that you cant beat the **** out of. Your resources are always low not because you are constantly using them to fend of your enemies, they're limited because the world is so stupidly empty that you never had them to begin with. their is no tension about resource conservation when you NEVER GET THEM, human enemies almost never drop ammo, (which is just stupid, like I just manage to kill them when they had just used their last bullet) and guns just suck so why even use them, especially when you can LITERALLY BEAT ZOMBIES TO DEATH WITH YOUR BARE HANDS AND WIN. The game is a joke when clickers aren't around and then its only hard because they **** instant kill. Stealth is boring and has no tension because clickers are so damn easy to sneak by, (just move slow and hold still when the start to throw a hissy fit) and any other foe can just be beat to death. for a comparison lets look at Metro Last Light a far superior survival game that gets it right. supplies litter maps if you just know where to look, and the world is so detailed you'll always find new things you have to SCAVENGE and doing so is always rewarding encouraging you to do it more, while the last of us barley ever has **** anywhere, and if it is something it will always be something you don't need, like empty **** bottles. In Metro Last Light the threat comes from the enemies themselves, In the harder modes you can be quickly killed, but if your skilled enough you can avoid it, your not getting killed by a Animation is what I am saying. When you get into combat it requires the use of resources that will deplete the more YOU fail, the game gives you enough to thrive if you have the skill and if YOU **** up then YOU have to pay the price, not just get insta-killed and restart again or just punch the world to death. Metro Last Lights combat is fun, interesting, responsive, and satisfying while the last of Us has generic combat that's hard because its clunky, and I despise clunky controls because you end up fighting them more than the enemy. the stealth is where the last of us wins right? I disagree, while the stealth in Last Light is simplistic, that simplicity honestly makes it unique, whereas The Last Of Us has stealth that is just like the stealth in pretty much every other stealth game made recently, I MEAN YOU EVEN HAVE DETECTIVE VISION COME ON! But aside from that its also just annoying, there is no satisfaction and it far too often breaks and I get seen through objects or when I shouldn't, Where in Last Light I only get spotted when I made a mistake or when I should encouraging me to try harder at it and look forward to a chance to prove my skill rather than dread the next stealth section. The best way to express my dislike for this game is the simple fact that the only time I had any fun is when nothing was happening and I was constantly dreading when the game would come back. that's not the sign of a good time. Also yes the characters and voice acting are good but Im too annoyed or bored to give a **** The game part of the game has to be bearable for the story to matter and this is honestly one of the worst third person shooter OR stealth games I've played in my life. The best description I could give of this game is if someone took dead space and uncharted taped them together and striped all the aspects that made those games good out only to have a bull come in and **** all over them to fill in the gaps. This game sucks, and I will NEVER understand why people praise this "game" like the patron saint. **** this game for wasting my day and **** everyone who would call it superior to Metro Last Light, or Dead Space 3 for that matter, It would be a blasphemy to say that Last Light compares to the Worst of the Dead Space games, let alone overshadow one of the best survival games made. Expand
  40. Jul 19, 2014
    3
    The last of us is a game about how normal society can be reduced to smoldering pile of anarchy chaos and how humans can be changed into savage beasts with selfish motives and ruthless behavior. Let me tell you something about The last of us, it is a **** of overrated crap. it's plot, story, voice acting, characters, and themes are so unoriginal and has been repeated in various games, movies, t.v. shows, and novels. The whole emotional sequences and hopeless reality is so mediocre, can you imagine how much this has been featured in so many stories. The last of us is a game that is so insignificant and all those critics who give it a perfect score are either half or no brained at all. I would also like to say that I respect everyone else's opinion but ultimately it fails to make a fan of me and fails at being called one of the greatest games. For all those people who were mindlessly indoctrinated, I feel sorry for you but I am not those kinds of people who are pulled into the horde of zombie fans and critics. The only good thing about the game is its graphics which are kind of remarkable, however the rest of it is more or less **** to me. So that is my review of the highly overrated game that dares to call itself The Last of Us Expand
  41. Jul 19, 2014
    10
    This game accomplishes what many games seek to do but fall short of doing. By far the best looking game on the PS3 I've seen, and I find it difficult to switch back to other games after playing The Last of Us due to the difference in visual quality. On top of that it has a phenomenal story behind it with characters you become attached to. These two qualities alone make you want to keep playing the game until you beat it. Add into these factors that it has great game mechanics and the option to choose how to play. After beating the game you have the option of multiplayer, which is tied into the story mode and has unique gameplay settings that I haven't personally seen combined into one game before, or since. All of these things add up to make the best game on the PlayStation console, and one of the best games ever as well. It's unique place in the world of gaming opens it up to non-gamers as well for the captivating cutscenes are available to watch in the option settings. Expand
  42. Jul 18, 2014
    5
    Little late in the game for anyone to read this I suppose, but here it goes. Had some extra cash, asked people for a game that could help me kill some time over the weekend, and this came highly recommended. So I picked it up for my collection. Maybe I just don't get it. The game looked nice, but I didn't want to keep playing. Felt like just going from point A to B over and over again. Do a puzzle, navigate a room, get a cutscene, do a puzzle, navigate a room, get a cutscene. Periodically I would find myself dreading to do the next puzzle and not want to play anymore.

    I'd say if you want to play it go rent it somewhere. The story and characters were "ok" in my opinion. It wasn't enough to make me want to finish the story (but I did).
    Expand
  43. Jul 18, 2014
    10
    Es impresionante que en el tramo final de PS3 salga un juego así de bueno. La historia es muy interesante y contiene giros totalmente inesperados. El prólogo ya te pone la piel de gallina... Técnicamente es una delicia y la jugabilidad es exquisita. La relación entre Joel y Ellie es una de las mejores que se han visto en un videojuego. El final del juego es muy original e inesperado. Compra imprescindible para cualquier poseedor de PS3. Expand
  44. Jul 18, 2014
    5
    Played it as my first ever PS3 game and had to note that if you aren't mastering the controller to the level that your basal ganglia takes partly over the conscious cortex functions, the game is near impossible in certain situations. The story is not typical hollywood and has some deeper moments, which is good. However, there are several logical fallacies -most importantly it sounds that the writer had no input from someone with medical/molecular biology background making for instance the vaccine subtheme unreasonable. Sure, many player might not notice these problems. Regarding the story and gameplay would have wanted less linearity and more choices. Ah yes, and the followers (e.g. Ellie if playing as Joel) often gave too many hints IMHO. The best moments were when for one or another reason you had no followers and multiple choices to solve a situation. These moments were actually enjoyable. Expand
  45. Jul 17, 2014
    9
    A great game and one of the best of 2013, but a tad overrated. The Last of Us hits me with it's great story and extremely well developed and memorable characters. The gameplay is fun and it keeps you alert at all times, the visuals are stunning, the atmosphere is intense, just everything about this game is amazing. If you have a PS3 buy this game, it's worth every penny.
  46. Jul 15, 2014
    10
    It astonishes me with amount of people who dislike this game. Although, I can agree it's not for everyone, it's still a fantastic game.

    The gameplay is simple, but it has a lot of variety and allows different ways to approach levels. You can sneak past while throwing a bottle or brick to distract your enemies, or you can run through the level shooting and beating the crap out of
    enemies. Yes, its not like Metal Gear or Deus Ex, but that's because it's not supposed to be.

    The Last Of Us has a simple, yet effective story with beautiful and immerse levels. You play as Joel. He'sin his early forties (or so I estimated) twenty years after the apocalypse started. You are then given your objective with escorting Ellie through a run down city. Simple. I know, but as you progress the story becomes more of a more human and emotional story.

    Voice acting is superb. Troy Baker and Ashley Johnson play the characters of Joel and Ellie quite well.

    The multiplayer is definitely amazing. It takes all the in game elements of the single player, and adds it to the multiplayer. Note that teamwork is key to survival.

    In conclusion The Last Of Us is a beautifully, immerse game, with superb characters, fun gameplay, and a emotional tale told well. It's not for everybody, but if you're a fan of Naughty Dog, then you'll love this masterpiece. Also you can skip cut-scenes if they aren't for you.
    Expand
  47. Jul 13, 2014
    10
    The Last of Us is to me at least the best game on the PS3. The graphics are great the story's great the game play's great and the voice acting is some of the best I've seen in a Video Game.
  48. Jul 13, 2014
    10
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Best Game eveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Expand
  49. Jul 13, 2014
    10
    One of the best games I have ever played. The story is phenomenal and the combat is tight, balanced, and satisfying. I personally believe this is a game every gamer needs to experience atleast ONCE. Easily a must own. Can't wait for the revised PS4 version.
  50. Jul 12, 2014
    10
    A milestone in gaming storytelling for years to come. So much emotion between two characters on top if satisfying gameplay makes this one of the best games made
  51. Jul 10, 2014
    10
    Game is a marvel of storytelling. Rises above the very recently overused post apocalypse theme and makes it stand out. The gameplay, while not more elaborate than some other games out there, it's very simple and very fluid supported with great physics. Cinematically, very few games other than perhaps metal gear solid series and few others compare and voice acting is second to none. Great promise to naughty dog's future games that will be on PS4 Expand
  52. Jul 10, 2014
    10
    Absolutely incredible game. Quite possibly the best game I have played on the PS3 to date. Fantastic game-play with a well thought out and constructed story. At times I was playing along just to get the next cut scene. When playing in a dark room with a half decent TV, the immersion is incredible. To think graphics like this can come out of a PS3 is insane. I don't usually like games where you are stuck to a pre-defined path to follow but this didn't feel like it at all. If you haven't got this yet and are considering it, do it. Expand
  53. Jul 6, 2014
    9
    The last of us was one of the greatest games of 2013 and possibly one of the greatest games ever. The game had an amazing story ( that i wont spoil) the graphics were the best on ps3 ever, the Gameplay was easy to get used too and really fun especially on hard which made it feel like u were really in their position and how hard it was too survive the acting was the best i have ever seen the characters were easy too love and get attached too but they could have used less f bombs and the ending wasn't very special but overall amazing game i would rate it 9.5/10 if they had that rating i very strongly suggest picking up ths game Expand
  54. Jul 5, 2014
    7
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. The Last Of Us is a game brought you by Naughty Dog, they gave us the Uncharted franchise and Jak and Daxter. But will this game be great as many people expected? Was the hype worth it? Maybe, some people call it a "masterpiece" others call it "The Best Game of All Time". This game starts out really interesting, you start to play as Sarah, daughter of Joel (the protagonist). The zombie apocalypse starts and Sarah dies. 20 years later you need to escort a girl (Ellie) across the United States Wasteland. The first thing I noticed, the voice acting was flawless and graphics looked beautiful. But my hype was over in 5 minutes because all you do in the game is walk, accompanied by some back-story, I'm not a big fan of Walk-and-Hear in videogames. But this was awful. There was no zombies in the game (they appear every 3 hours in the game). And AI is pretty much non-existent (apart from Ellie) Tess is supposed to help you dammit!

    Still from those flaws, this game is still good, and overrated
    7.5/10
    Expand
  55. Jul 1, 2014
    5
    The Last of Us is a game with watered down physics, predictable story lines, and characters that don't really have any depth.

    This game has been beaten into the ground to the point where I don't think it could have ever lived up to the hype, however, that does not justify the problems stated earlier.

    Does the game look good? Yes, looks amazing! However, everything else is just...
    meh... I was very let down when I played this game and do not recommend purchasing it unless you enjoy mediocre titles. Expand
  56. Jun 30, 2014
    10
    There isn't much that hasn't been said about this masterpiece of gaming. Everyone knows it represents a landmark in graphic design for future video games, as well as how impressively tight the story, dialogues and characters are written apart from the intuitive gameplay. All I can say is that if you have a PS3 or a PS4 (when the remastered version comes out) and you don't have this game, what the hell are you waiting for? Expand
  57. Jun 30, 2014
    8
    Great game, but nothing amazing. Story is the strong point of this game. Not sure why the reviews are so high... perhaps it's similarity to the Walking Dead. Game play is a little repetitive and ammo is too scarce. If you're a fan of zombies definitely try it out. Otherwise, I recommend the Uncharted games instead.
  58. Jun 30, 2014
    10
    I loved this game. I was gripped from start to finish like I never have been with any other game. Everything about it was great but most of all the story. Ellie and Joel are such great characters (probably my favourite in game history) and the story is as good as any book or film. The control scheme was pretty much perfect (the cover system worked very well as did the melee controls) and I loved being able to customise your melee weapons and the incentives to collect things such as being able to upgrade your guns. Oh and the graphics were stunning, hands down the best I've seen on the PS3 and that's no easy feat, there's some great looking games on the console. Sure it's very linear but there's still just enough exploration and it makes a nice change not to have an open-world game with a million choices at every turn. I'll never forget this game, to me it's truly a masterpiece. Expand
  59. Jun 30, 2014
    4
    I ended up playing Last of Us after all of the hype said it was an amazing game. When I started to play TLOU I was highly disappointed. All the review sites went on about the emotion and how that made the game. I felt no emotion from the boring lifeless, robotic characters.

    I played through the first level which is so dull and boring. You just walk around and run a way from the infected
    people. Nothing amazing what so ever which a clunky character.

    As you progress you get to an area where you have to move around some planks. I was already bored up till this point and then that just intensified the boredom.

    The character models in Last of Us look nice but the land scape and the cities look dated. Have a look at the grass around the cities. It has no texture.

    The combat is just boring basic third person shooting with dumb enemies. The clickers make it a bit tougher but when you figure out that you should kill the ones that kill you with one attack first. The game becomes very easy.

    Avoid TLOU like the plague, I seriously couldn't take any more after three hours in.
    Expand
  60. Jun 30, 2014
    10
    This game is simply fantastic ! Not only do you immerse yourself in a world that is frightening and beautiful at the same time full of nasty creatures, but you also emotionally connect with the fictional characters that venture through the zombie infested land. When I finished this game I was actually sad because I did not want it to end. The game is set so you have the opportunities to make your way through the obstacles your way, that's what makes it so great. You can choose to kill the zombies in some levels or simply stealthy move past them, you choose. And then their is constant surprises every where you go for items to collect which can change the course of the game, if you kill a zombie or hostile sometimes you can pick up guns,ammo,bombs and more. I enjoyed every part of this game, and some levels were so hard I had to try multiple times to make it through ( bloater in the gym just die already ,). You are equipped with various weapons, but my favourite was the bow and arrow, clean silent kills. I defiantly hope naughty dog make numerous sequels to this game, it is truly entertaining and actually made me think, if this really happened what would I do to survive. Expand
  61. Jun 29, 2014
    10
    why i'm actually dissapointed with some of the negative reviews, the last of us on hard is one of the most intense games i have ever played, i loved the stealth segments, the crafting system, the enemy ai,the horror feeling,the shooting and everything else that was simple top notch, there is nothing wrong with adding a cinematic feeling to a stellar gameplay experience, i swear that even without the story and the music i still would have love it, i guess that when something is so succesful it brings a lot of hate from jealous people,it becomes perfectly normal to hate great things, i really don't want to live in a cynic world where everything is considered overrated and meh Expand
  62. Jun 26, 2014
    10
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Naughty Dog has proven time and time again that they can deliver great gameplay with amazing storytelling. Crash Bandicoot was a childhood dream. The Uncharteds evolved so much that they are now classed as some of the greatest games ever made (Number 2 was excellent). But where do you go from there? What can you do with a new IP? Well, you take the lessons learnt from your previous series and just improve. Better gunplay, better story, less linearity. That is The Last Of Us. The greatest video game of this generation and one of the greatest games of all time.

    Key to its success- the story. The relationships developed between the characters. This is one of the most realistic games out. Right from the start you have the feeling that this is something completely different. For the first 5 minutes you take control of Joel's little girl, a vulnerable child who gives you a bleak outlook on the world, as she observes the horrible events unfolding. When you switch to Joel things are worse, as his daughter becomes even more of a liability. But no matter what the next few minutes will destroy your heart. I cried like I have never before in a game. As Joel hugs his daughter and begs for her life back... These first few minutes are what made this game for me.

    Fast forward twenty years and we are now in a bleak and oppressive future, where Joel only cares about himself. He has nobody to look out for. And then Ellie comes along, a girl he starts off disliking, but slowly warms to. Three quarters through the game and he tortures a man to find her. The ending proves how far he will really go. Ellie possesses the key to the cure for the virus that has spread throughout the world and only her brain can save us. But Joel won't let her die and the final level is the greatest part of the whole experience. And the ending is phenomenal, as Joel proves that not only is he willing to become a monster, but he is also willing to lie to Ellie so that she stays safe. Like an episode of Game of Thrones, there are no happy endings. I did just spoil the whole game, so anyone who read this for a recommendation I am sorry- I did warn you!

    While the gameplay could never outmatch the brilliance of the narrative, it is still finely tuned and highly polished. Joel is just an ordinary man and he controls as such. He vaults and runs and his movements are realistic to the point that you believe you are playing a movie. The animation work is unmatched by anything- even next gen games like InFamous: Second Son! The hand to hand combat is brutal and unflinching. You'll crush heads and tear up bodies. The gunplay is even nastier. While some won't like it, Joel isn't some elite army officer and he aims like a normal human. There are a lot of weapons to gather throughout the game, ranging from a rifle, to a shotgun, to a bow and arrow and each one handles differently and realistically. They all have some pretty nasty animations, with the gore being turned up to a large amount. While this may contrast to the touching story moments, it shows how visceral and unflinching the people in this world are. There is brutal violence, but there will also be touching moments, such as talking to Ellie about ice cream trucks or telling her about Joel's daughter.

    There are also looting and crafting elements and upgrading your weapons and Joel is rewarding and gives you a good feeling. You can also craft traps and explosives and medkits... The systems aren't complicated, but there is enough substance to offer you plenty of do. There are also numerous collectibles (many worth getting) along with unlockables. With this amount to do, you will want to replay the game and I did! New Game Plus is available and there are many difficulty modes to try your hand at. But don't worry because the enemies are challenging.

    Most of the time you will be fighting humans and while there are various types of normal people (and every type can be brutally ripped to shreds), the infected foes are the best to fight. They offer a challenge and there are four types to take on. The standard runners go down easy (unless they surround you), but the Clickers are he deadliest. Get too close and they can insta kill you. The Stalkers are like nastier, faster Runners and the Bloaters are the worst around, with brutal moves and deadly long range attacks. Every fight requires careful thinking and a good strategy if you want to stay alive!

    The Last of Us also includes a multiplayer mode and unsurprisingly, it doesn't take over single player as desired option. However, it is a smart, faster paced place to spend your time and the modes are very different to what you would expect. It's polished, has multiple maps, plenty of unlockables and still offers a pretty fun time.

    I better wrap this up, so here goes: The Last Of Us is a beautiful game, with amazing graphics, excellent sound work and striking innovation. Play it immediately- pick up a Playstation if you must!
    Expand
  63. Jun 26, 2014
    9
    It is the so much acclaimed game for PS3, it is an "action adventure" as Tomb Raider, or as the Uncharted series (indeed from the same software house).
    The adventure is pleasant, the game lasts an average time (about 12-15 hours), the story is well thought out and there is great graphics without any uncertainty. The setting is post-apocalyptic, the plot seems obvious but it is not. I say
    no more to not spoil the surprise.
    The music is pleasant, the game is never frustrating (if you can not go on is because you are using the wrong approach).
    But ... Well, I had very high expectations which were not supported by the game. Everyone talks about how the killer app for ps3. Sure it's nice, you spend funny moments and is the true "entertainment" (one always asking yourself "how's it going forward"). But a masterpiece? I do not know, perhaps is because I come from the PC world where masterpieces are more numerous ...
    Some negative aspects? There are none, the initial loading is very long (even 3-4 minutes), but then the game does not load EVER, so you can end it up without ever even wait a few seconds. Great optimization and no bug. Well done Naughty Dog!
    Expand
  64. Jun 22, 2014
    10
    This is easily one of the best games of this generation. The chemistry between the 2 main characters is superb, it not a sexual chemistry, but a friend-like chemistry. When Joel and Elie meet for the first time they are complete strangers to each other, but as the games progresses they become almost family. the gameplay keeps you on the edge of your seat the hole way through, the music is awesome, and the supporting characters with great voice acting gives you great performance. The multiplayer is a pleasant surprise too. The great crafting system is implemented in it letting you use various legit tactics versus enemy players. ammo is rare just like in single player. The only down side of the multiplayer is that the customization menu for your character and the emblem creation is very limited end frankly, halved-ass. Still this game deserves the legendary status it has got. Expand
  65. Jun 21, 2014
    10
    The perfect game for it's time. From it's harrowing opening to it's perfect conclusion. Naughty Dog has given us the game from hence forth all A+ survival horror titles will need to compare itself to. I purchased a PS3 purely to play this game, after 6 years on a 360 and I'll never buy a Microsoft product again. Fantastic characters, emotive story, varied location, perfectly paced, beautiful looking, scored and soundtracked to perfection. 10/10 Expand
  66. Jun 20, 2014
    7
    Call it an opinion if you want but my feeling is that video games differentiate themselves from other forms of media such as movies, and books by providing gameplay. The Last Of Us may easily be one of the greatest stories ever told through the medium of video games, that however does not warrent an instant 10 from me, and I feel it should apply the same to all of you. It costs less than 10 buck to go to the movies, most books cost less than 30 bucks , a good story should not cost 60. If I can beat a game under 12 hrs , in my opinion its not a good value for 60, (and it STILL costs near 60 new).
    Just for a minute lets talk about Naughty Dog, who made a serious name for themselves with the uncharted franchise. Ive played all the uncharted games, and I have to say, im suprised Naughty Dog hasent been sued for copying either the Tomb Raider games and movies, or the Indiana Jones movies, or BOTH! Then with the theme decided, they basically stuck it to a copy the God Of War game play style, and somehow the comination of thoes thing fooled everyone into thinking this game company makes original games.
    Then The Last Of Us come out in the dead middle of a huge pop culture zombie fad, and BOOM peope eat it up, and people begin to refer to Naughty Dog as Naughty God. Naughy Dog may hav fooled 9.1 out of every 10 of you into beleving that story overshadows gameplay, but im not so quick to bite the carrot at the end of the stick.
    Expand
  67. PMG
    Jun 18, 2014
    10
    NaughtyDog has done it again. Creating a new spectacle as far as story and presentation goes, you really wanna see how the story ends. It is also a superb combat system, with risk and reward, stealth, unsteady aim, and deadly enemies. A true masterpiece, and with a fun multiplayer, the only word i truly feel descripes The Last Of Us, is complete. Like with Uncharted 3, you absolutely have to own this game if you have a PS3. Expand
  68. Jun 16, 2014
    3
    Was this rubbish really made in 2013 ? It feels 20 years older with its clunky inventory system and poor mechanics, not to mention the tired old "post apocalypse" storyline. A couple of the voice actors are very good, (Joel, Bill) but by and large, this is a very ordinary game. Perhaps the people at the developers should take a look at Dead Space, Bioshock, Crysis et al to see how a modern game should look and feel. Expand
  69. Jun 15, 2014
    6
    Hands down, the most overrated game of 2013. To all the high scorers, did you have any FUN with this game? Really. Because I didn't. This game was an absolute chore to play through. The only thing that kept me going was the fairly interesting story, and the high production values. This is a Naughty Dog game, so you can expect superb graphics, animations, voice acting, and cutscenes. However the gameplay is a mess. This is a 3rd person shooter with some tacked on stealth. However ammo is scarce, so most of the time it is better to go the stealth route. The controls however feel loose (read: realism), and require you to have better aim than your standard third person shooter. NPC enemies also have very spastic animations, so even when you think you have a shot on them, they will jerk their body or head to the side and you will miss the shot. You go into an annoying stagger animation when you get shot (again, realism), which requires you to re-aim your shot, by which time the enemy has already closed the distance and is pounding you to shreds. Close quarters combat is stacked towards the enemy, especially the zombies, many of whom can one-shot kill you at this range. Ellie, your NPC companion, aids very little in combat. Enemies are also oblivious to her presence, even though it is clear they can see her. I guess the idea here was not to punish the player for enemies spotting your NPC companion, but this simply breaks immersion. You also can't switch weapons while on the move, which is especially aggravating when you need to switch from an empty to a loaded weapon while an enemy is chasing you. The game itself plays like your typical cinematic linear shooter, with some outdoor areas that open up a bit and allowing you to explore. All your standard shooter gameplay tropes are here: "defend an area from hordes of enemies", "find an alternate route", "clear area of enemies to proceed", "run away from an armored vehicle"... you get the idea. There are some tiresome ladder and plank "puzzles" that require you to move a ladder from A to B to get somewhere. They add nothing to the gameplay and feel like padding. There is also a skill system (what game doesn't have this nowadays?) that allows you to upgrade your character. It's good to have, and allows you to tailor your gameplay experience somewhat, although I found many of the skills to be useless (faster crafting? what's the point? You shouldn't be crafting during combat). The story is serviceable. You play as Joel, a grieving father tasked with delivering Ellie, a girl immune to the zombie virus, to the human resistance movement. It's like the Walking Dead; the last vestiges of humanity fighting against zombies, lots of interpersonal relationship stuff, harrowing situations, etc. Which is fine, not a lot of games go this route. But TLOU didn't invent this genre, so let's not give it more credit than it deserves. Joel is your typical gruff white guy we've seen dozens of times by now. As for Ellie, they seemed to have cast someone too old to play her, as she comes off as being a little too precocious. The section where you play as Ellie. She says "piece of sh*t" or "motherf*cker" EVERY TIME she kills someone. Why was this necessary? It's not behavior you'd expect from a pre-teen. The much talked about ending, though clever emotionally, left an empty feeling with me, similar to Prince of Persia 2008's ending. As a player, I want to feel like I accomplished something. Don't throw away everything I've done in the past 10+ hours.

    To sum up, this is not a fun game. If you want to play a Walking Dead episode, with all of Naughty Dog's trademark high production values, then this is for you. However if like me, you like your games to be fun, then give this a pass.
    Expand
  70. Jun 12, 2014
    9
    This game is not only beuatiful to look at, but the story is so good it could easily have been considered for an oscar, had it only been a movie instead of a game. If you're in to post-apocalyptic settings, killing zombies or maybe just a good story, then this is a must have for this generation.
  71. Jun 11, 2014
    10
    I gave this game a 10 because i feel that it deserves higher than a 9, though it isn't perfect this game is an absolute gem. With an interesting and intense story with scenes that kept me at the edge of my seat grinding my teeth I can say that not many games have had this effect. When watching cutscenes or playing the game I was always on my toes eager to know how the next event would play out. Furthermore, the game's fluid third person game-play worked well. Naughtydog has stepped up their game from the Uncharted series with significant improvements to how well the came plays and how precisely I can control my character. The characters are likable and interesting, the graphics are very good, there is not much to complain about other that the decent multiplayer, which is still fun. This near masterpiece is one of the best playstation exclusives, a must own for any collection. Expand
  72. Jun 11, 2014
    10
    Maybe #1, since it is a new game there is nothing but old time gamers to bring up old games that set standards, but as those generations die and this game becomes the back bone of gaming history, we can remember that Sarah's death might have been one of the saddest I've ever experienced in a video game. Of course adding to the fact that Ellie adds to the characters adventures really sets the bar for games like this, blowing bioshock infinite and other great games like GTA V out of the water (Depending on your taste between a good survival story adventure and a violent story). I really found myself more tied to the characters as they began as us and had to build their own civilizations out of scratch. Expand
  73. Jun 6, 2014
    10
    This game is perfect. I love how it's not your average zombie game it's a lot more genius with the fungal infection. The story had me hooked since the opening, this is a game where you grow attached to the characters in a heart beat. The graphics are Aaron,axing and the game design for every were beautifully made. This game makes you under stand how it feels to struggle with surviving.
  74. Jun 5, 2014
    10
    A true masterpiece. I have never felt so engaged with characters of any game (or movie) like I did with these in the Last of Us. The story, the world, the music is all refreshingly honest.
  75. Jun 4, 2014
    6
    I found this game very far to be excellent, the iA is very bad, the enemies ALWAYS know where you are, they are psychics, another thing i found bad is the combat mechanics, it's very tedious to shoot enemies, the character is very weak and does not look like a hero at all. The graphics are ok, but that does not compensate the lack of liberty in the controls, some of the weapons are useless, like the molotov bombs, and it is very hard to find a good weapon, and that's a shame in a game that needs to have action and combat. This is NOT a survival horror game, maybe an average survival game, like I am alive. The plot is okay i think, but not excellent at all, finally i have to give this game a 6, and i am being a good person, because the game deserves less. Hope this is the only Last of us game, because is far to be a complete title. Expand
  76. Jun 4, 2014
    1
    Cons : Great graphic for PS3 hardware, Interesting characters, interesting background story. Lots of cut scenes, Great first 20 mins of the gameplay.

    Pros: Plain and easily predicable plot, flat characters, it is a pretty bad TPS game if you love TPS games, annoyingly bad AI.

    My score is 6,5 out of 10. But i gave it 1 out of 10 because i think it is overrated and i want to make the
    score lower.
    I strongly disagree that this game is rated higher than Red dead redemption, GTA5, The walking dead, Mass effect, Uncharted, some of Final fantasy series and many other PS3 games.
    Expand
  77. Jun 3, 2014
    8
    There is nothing wrong with this game. However, there is also very little to set this game apart from numerous other story and character driven zombie scenarios of the last few years (or few decades really, they aren't new). It's solid, pretty, has good mechanics, and good characters. However, the fact that all of that is shoved into yet another post-apocalyptic rubble pile stifles everything good about it in the intense humdrum of "been-there, done-that" that permeates most "mature" modern games. I'm tired of zombies. I'm tired of nuclear Armageddon. I'm tired of shooters and shooter hybrids set in yet another dystopia. Naughty Dog intentionally made Uncharted colorful and non-dystopic so that it would stand out from the mold when they first made it. I wish they would still do this because we need it now even more than we needed it then. Expand
  78. Jun 3, 2014
    10
    Definitely one of my favorite single-player game of the 7th generation. The story is amazing to say the least, it isn't that generic nor is it REALLY original but it is executed very well. Gameplay is pretty much what you'll expect in third-person shooters with abilities to upgrade your weapons with gears, upgrade your character with pills and scavenging. My only problem with the game overall is immersion. Your companions aren't really "in the world" with you as they cannot be noticed by enemies even if they walk right smack in front of them, they still won't alarm the enemies so that kinda takes a little bit of immersion out of the game but it doesn't warrant a point deduction. A must-buy for everyone unless you're a multiplayer centric gamer and don't enjoy single-player games. Expand
  79. Jun 3, 2014
    10
    The Last of Us PlayStation 3 This review is based on my experience and does not intend to insult other reviewers opinions. Story – From the opening scenes to the final moments of the game and that black screen hits your eyes you find yourself hooked on the story that Naughty dog shovel into your face. You fall in love with the relationships and the characters, the story itself you believe to be quite simple, a virus outbreak and survival, what some people don’t realise is that underneath the main story the sub stories are the ones that hook your mind and your heart. The fight for survival, the feel of loss in every direction, the sense of helplessness that shadows the main character even though he has been hardened by the world around him, the beauty of life that we all take for granted but seen through a girls eyes, the list is endless, words cannot describe the story, the story has to be seen and felt.

    Graphics – The graphics are beautiful, the textures of the shirt on our main characters back to the beautiful yet disturbing settings around them all add up to a beautiful display of artwork and creativity. Realism and at some points you find yourself stood still and turning the camera around to view sections around you in awe.

    Characters – The characters are the best part about this title, it is very difficult to describe them especially in just 5000 characters or less. Ellie and Joel bring something to your experience I personally have never experienced within a game before, in fact by the end of the game I found myself wanting a daughter for my first child, the chemistry between the two characters is heartfelt and breath-taking, you find yourself truly caring for them, their journey truly does become yours, from the silence and annoyance felt between the two at the beginning to the love and protection you get by the end. The characters whom they meet along the way also add that extra bit of excitement and heartbreak, one of my personal favourites is Bill, the character of few words and such a big story that if missed leaves him misunderstood. The depths within the game itself are mesmerising.

    Result – This game is a life changing moment of art, the character development, the story, the action, the music… everything hooks you from the get go and once you start you have to finish it, you find yourself craving more and you miss the company of Ellie and Joel within other games. May sound over the top but if you find yourself one who appreciates the little details (Keep an eye out in the toy shop when one of the brothers you encounter picks up a toy and is told he can’t have it, watch Ellie closely and then quickly take the camera off her and back on her again and you will see a hidden gem that shows how cute they have made the character) you will truly love this game.

    Of course there are certain things within the game that can make you scream for the hills, the AI can be very annoying at times, Ellie can seem to stand in front of enemies within a single bit of reaction from them and when you are sneaking through Clicker territory and Bill is romper stomping around the place it does tend to knock the illusion but if able put that aside and enjoy the ride.
    Expand
  80. Jun 2, 2014
    10
    To give this game less then a 10 would be an insult to the hard work that Naughty Dog have put in to make what I could argue is one of the best, if not the best, game of all time.
  81. Jun 2, 2014
    1
    This game is way to hyped. I've played through it, and there are tons of glitches. It might just be that I got the download version. I liked the characters, and there were moments when I felt emotional, but some, my game ended up glitching. It wouldn't even allow me to play, and it's way to over-hyped. It was OK, but not the best.
  82. Jun 2, 2014
    10
    This game was emotionally the hardest game i've ever played. The characters were to me people i really cared and that made the experience much more harder. It's been probably close to a year since i completed the game and still i sometimes find myself thinking about the game. Best game i ever played.
  83. Jun 2, 2014
    9
    Una bellissima esperienza che lascia il segno, grazie ad una storia avvincente, toccante e ben narrata, personaggi memorabili e credibili e un comparto grafico fantastico. Non posso dargli il massimo però a causa del gameplay, di buona fattura, ma abbastanza ripetitivo e non all'altezza del resto della produzione. Resta uno dei migliori giochi degli ultimi anni.
  84. May 31, 2014
    10
    Naughty Dog has captured the soul of the gamer in this one. I would just like to say that whoever does not have a ps3 has missed this game big time!!! The intensity when a clicker or bloater is cming ur way is so thrliing !!! Guys evebn the multiplayer is awesome. Thought it takes a while to understand everything but that also has not failed to impress. Overall this game has to be on your most wanted list of games!!!!!!! Expand
  85. May 30, 2014
    10
    The Last of Us

    Campaign - The campaign is amazing, it has a story which not a lot of games have now a days, a interesting one, this was the game which i bought with my PS3 and i was not disappointed, its characters act real, you care for the characters and it has some of most emotional moments in video game history and for it being a PS3 game, its graphics push the boundaries.


    Multiplayer - The multiplayer is the shocker for me, it is surprisingly fun, it has a nice use of survival, stealth and tactics, not just run and gun like most games (CoD, Battlefield).

    Overall - The Last of Us is the one of only games i have played more than once, and wanted to and also has some moments which will bring the tears out, 10/10
    Expand
  86. May 30, 2014
    10
    Naughty Dog showing to the world (again) how to make excellent "movie-games". If you wanna play only a game it´s better to find another one because The Last of Us makes you penetrate into an amazing game experience were the characters involves you in a matter that sometimes you believe to be watching a movie or so. The script of the game is superb. The psychological evolution of the characters is somehow unique. The last of us is a must have game. Expand
  87. May 29, 2014
    9
    More than a game. The story was truly engrossing even if it's not the most original. The gameplay is not revolutionary but good enough to feel rewarding. Such great graphics/animation too.
  88. May 29, 2014
    10
    This is one of the best games I ever played. The characters are unique and interesting. The story is phenomenal and even puts you in a conflict with yourself, where you start to think, whether it's morally or not, what's happening there. The graphics for a PS3 are breathtaking, I've never seen such great textures. The gameplay is good, but not revolutionary. It's kinda nice, that you can craft bombs etc., but it's extremely simple made.

    This game will stay with me my whole life long.
    Expand
  89. May 28, 2014
    8
    Okay, I'm prepared to be crucified here, but keep in mind, I'm just offering food for thought:
    The Last of Us is an absolutely amazing game. It's brilliant; there's no doubt about it. It's got fun, engaging gameplay mixed with some really great characters that sell the story as a human experience.
    That said, the story dips into melodrama every once in a while, with characters being
    introduced and eliminated simply for the sake of shock value (or 'pity value', I suppose). Essentially, it's a really damn depressing game just for the sake of being really damn depressing. As I've said, there are some very human moments, but there are also times when Murphy's law lords so heavily over the narrative that it becomes distinctly inhuman. I suppose I just read a lot of philosophy, and I don't believe that everyone on earth would become a homicidal psychotic in a time of crisis. It's just too bleak, and it really pulled me out of the game; I couldn't be fully immersed in its world.
    Another thing I'd like to take a moment to discuss is the art design. Yes, the game is beautiful from a graphical standpoint, but its not necessarily very creative. You run through cities and suburbs where nature has reclaimed its rightful territory - but it's nothing compared to the unified, stylistic settings found in Bioshock, Fallout 3, or Remember Me.
    In summation; yes, I am a butthurt fanboy of other franchises, but I truly do recognize the genius of The Last of Us. I'm just putting some criticism out there, some food for thought, because everyone else lauds this title as the Messiah of videogaming. And they're right in many ways, but I can't be counted among the believers. It's still a great game and one you must experience as a PS3 owner. I'm just not the conductor of the hype train here.
    Expand
  90. May 28, 2014
    10
    I have a feeling that this game will live on as Half Life 2 has.
    The graphics are incredible, gameplay is very smooth at most times and the storyline is outright incredible. A must buy for any PS3 owner.
  91. May 27, 2014
    7
    First off I have to start this review by saying that I am in no way a fanboy. I owned all 3 consoles last gen and I plan on doing it again in the next generation as well. Second off, I have to say that this is going to be more of a rant than a real review. The Last of Us shines in its narrative, characters, and atmosphere. The story and characters are some of the best in any game I've ever played, and the way it is presented is second to none. The characters all have distinct personalities and are well developed. The dialogue is great and so are the voice actors that deliver it. The atmosphere really does feel like a post apocalyptic future. The graphics are some of the best ever (on consoles) even though the color pallet looks like the game ate Fallout 3 then spit it out and added vines everywhere. With all this having been said, I have zero idea how anybody can think this game is a masterpiece or anywhere close. The gameplay (you know the point of playing a video game) is so lackluster, and the game is not well designed. The game tries to be a stealth-action survival horror game except it meets none of those genre's criteria well. It would have been great had the areas flowed together coherently but anywhere that there are enemies is basically an arena of conveniently placed boxes (much like another stealth-action game it tries so hard but fails to be, Metal Gear Solid) And really Naughty Dog? With the oil tankers full of money that Sony gave you to make this game, you couldn't spring for more than one stealth choking animation or 5 skins of enemy characters? It fails on the survival horror front because you are always being presented with bullets and medpacks and whatever you need because the game was made for casuals. The crafting makes no sense as Rag+Alcohol apparently = bandage. The "puzzles" consist of moving a latter from one place to another. Thrilling. By far the worst part of the game is the AI. All the AI in the game is broken. Enemy AI is completely inept on even the highest difficulty and your partner AI? God help me. Having bad enemy AI is enough to break any stealth game, but bad partner AI too? Might as well kill yourself. If you want to play a third person survival horror zombie game with bad partner AI and stiff controls then play Resident evil 4, a far superior game. The game is very shallow and repetitive, the infected lack variety with only 4 types to fight against. The gameplay itself is slightly above average, yet the game has garnered 9's and 10's on almost every major site, presumably based on story alone. Well I'm sorry but the fact is that I will never give a video game a 9 or a 10 based on story alone. What even qualifies as a game anymore? If I rendered Terminator 2 in video game cutscenes and let you press a button every 10 minutes to choose what one liner Arnold says would that be a 10/10 flawless masterpiece of a game? I'm not saying that this is what the last of us is like, but its not far off. Everything is so linear and all the exciting things happen in cutscenes that happen every 5 minutes. If I wanted to play a mediocre stealth game in between watching a decent zombie movie, I would watch Shaun of the Dead and pause every ten minutes to play Alpha Protocol. Since when has it been ok for a VIDEO GAME to be called a masterpiece when the gameplay is average at best? You'd would think that with the way video game technology has progressed that developers would give us bigger worlds to explore with better AI and more depth, but nope, they're using it to make games like movies. This brings me to my next point which is, in a video game this story is amazing, but as a movie, this story is average and cliche at best. There are other games that have good stories that aren't a boring chore to play through and that actually add something to the respective genre that they're in. The last of us is by no means a bad game, but it is only a slightly above average game that brings nothing new or interesting to the Stealth action or Survival horror genres, and is made very good by its story and characters (even if they all swear like they just got off the USS Saratoga) Expand
  92. May 25, 2014
    10
    I first wrote a negative review of this game, about how clickers are annoying and how annoying and game breaking is their 1 shot kill animation. Now I progressed a lot through the game and I change my review. Although the plot may seem like a generic apocalypse stuff, characters are well written, voice acting is amazing and the way things progress throughout this apocalypse is much more interesting than they are in The Walking Dead, I Am Legend and many other apocalypse scenarios I've seen so far. The more you play, the more enjoyable it gets so don't give up playing in your first 5-6 hours of gameplay. Expand
  93. May 23, 2014
    10
    Awesome, Mostly for people who has a heart, if you don't have one you can get one after playing this game. Game sucks you in and just don't want the story to end.
  94. May 22, 2014
    10
    What makes this a Naughty Dog game and not simply a retread is the studio's use of actors, music, environments, characters, and gameplay. Everything here flows together beautifully much like the paintings of Leonardo da Vinci.
  95. May 21, 2014
    7
    Yeah, the story is "good" by today's standards, when it doesn't creep along at a snails pace, which is often, but the gameplay is pretty average and there are a lot of bugs and mediocre stealth gameplay.
  96. May 21, 2014
    8
    The Last of us is a good game, but it isn't great. The hype for this game is just way too much. For the purpose of a fair review I will state all aspects of the game and objectively give my opinion on it.

    1. GRAPHICS- AAA ps3 only game made by naughty dog. Graphics should be superb, and they are, nuff said.

    2. SOUND- the music of the last of us does what it's supposed too, it makes
    you feel what you need to feel at just the perfect moments nothing felt out of place and some tracks did stand out. I personally love how it has this western like guitar thing going on and some orchestral ensembles here and there, I implore you as a gamer to just listen to the soundtrack by itself because it is good. (Favorite songs are the Last of us, All Gone, Vanishing Grace, and The Smugglers). Voice acting is very good, props to Ashley Johnson and Troy Baker though, they deserve their awards.

    3. STORY- This is where things get pretty rocky for me. I hate the whole zombie survival craze happening right now and I'm tired of it. At least other games do something else with it or at least try. The last of us on the other hand just went and pretty much took the formula from the walking dead. If you take out the mushroom infection angle, some of the little details, and slapped on a walking dead title on it people wouldn't care or even be able to tell the difference. Also the people, what's with everyone being **** in post-apocalyptia? Is that what the last of us means? The last of us nice or kind of tolerable people. I know the angle of man up to survive or good people get left in the dirt but that's just not how humans or human society works people. I hate this formula. Look at fallout or metro, people have variety, people should be interesting not just guys you shoot at. The formula is even more predictable when you realize that there are no good or nice people in this world because they either die or are **** pretending to be good then they die. The relationship of Joel and Ellie is the main attraction here and their growth as human beings and as partners is emotional and the best part of the game. The ending however, is the worst. The ending felt rushed and the whole situation was just silly. No one should defend it. Moving on.

    4. GAMEPLAY- There are action elements as well as stealth elements and you will rely on stealth more often. The premise here is that the infected rely mostly on hearing than sight, because mushrooms are coming out of their heads and you can use Joel's hearing to kind of echolocate them, unless you unlocked survivor mode which turns off the hearing mode. The infected humans called runners can still see and will charge you, as opposed to the clickers that shamble about slowly until you make a sound by running or throwing an object. I would talk more about the other infected like the bloaters and stalkers, but honestly I didn't notice the 2 stalkers you meet in the entire game and the bloaters that are like tanks and take a lot of damage to kill are few and far between. There are 2 bloaters you are required to fight but other than that it's best to just avoid them. Then there are the people, half of this game you are going to be fighting people, know that. These are the parts that are less interesting for me. It feels like watered down uncharted, sometimes I wish I was playing uncharted instead in these parts, but at least the game keeps up tension by giving you little to no ammo and forces you to sneak around or avoid fights all together. Throughout the whole game you will find manuals, what I think are pills, and salvage to upgrade Joel's stats, upgrade your guns and make the items you need, like bombs, Molotov cocktails, med kits, and shiv's to kill clickers with (cause hand to hand only works with runners and people) and open secret shiv doors with. The crafting and workbench systems are simple and easy to use albeit maybe too simple..hmm. But good enough. The stealth elements though are pretty..ok. I swear uncharted 3 had a more interesting yet just as clunky stealth system. Point is you crouch behind an enemy press a button and that's it, no other way to stealth kill, same animation every time. Also for a survival game, there's not many survival aspects.

    FINAL THOUGHTS

    The game is perfect..in a sense. It's just been done to death before, but it's the best of the done to death lot. It's honestly not breaking the mold like silent hill 2 or RE4 or hell even dead space. My only nitpick is that the AI sees you but not Ellie. It's weird seeing her run around making noise and the people are un phased by it. I would rather that I have to make her hide (like Ashley in re4), that would also make tense situations. Nothing about it is groundbreaking at all, any element was done and done better by games in this generation. It's generic, but perfectly generic. there's nothing that will make you hate it.It won't change your life but it will become the standard of what a polished game should be.Buy it.
    Expand
  97. May 21, 2014
    10
    The last of us si simply a masterpiece, it's the best looking game of the current/last gen consoles hands down. Gameplay can be a little repetitive if you're playing on easy/normal difficulty but when you crank it up to survivor you're going to get your ass handed to you. Story actually isn't that good on paper it's the execution that is brilliant the emotions between the characters is the selling point.Aside from a few pacing problems the only thing i didn't like about the game was the ending, not that it was bad but it was just unsatisfying the game is currently spread open for a sequel and if they do one we can only pray it delivers. Expand
  98. May 20, 2014
    10
    A true masterpiece, a generation defining game, and one of the best games you'll ever get to play.
    The Last Of Us is the culmination of the seventh generation of consoles and one of the best games ever made in history, it's amazing story makes you get attached to Ellie and Joel in a way that you just can't imagine, and it has some of the most engaging and realistic gameplay a game has
    ever had.

    In 25 years from now it will still be played and remembered as a cult video game like no other.
    Expand
  99. May 19, 2014
    10
    This is the best looking, playthru, most excitement. I never gave up. This game is fresh new something different from any other game out there on the market. I beat this game a while ago I finally put my review. This my favourite game out there.
  100. Jun 14, 2013
    0
    This game truly is phenomenal. Naughty Dog proves yet again why they are the kings of the PS3, and arguably gaming in general. The Last of Us gets everything right. The environments, the atmosphere, the gameplay, the storyline, the characters, the graphics. Everything. I really can't say enough how amazing this game truly ended up being.
Metascore
95

Universal acclaim - based on 98 Critics

Critic score distribution:
  1. Positive: 97 out of 98
  2. Negative: 0 out of 98
  1. Sep 16, 2013
    97
    Flawless in its ambition and almost perfect in its execution. A brave and remarkable game quite unlike any other.
  2. Sep 10, 2013
    80
    The Last of Us is a great action-adventure game that manages to capture the feeling of post-apocalypse and survival. The story is alright but way too manipulative and borrows heavily from other, better, material. Still the segmented survival gameplay and the amazing audiovisual production makes the game an experience everybody should check out.
  3. Despite the breakneck pace of the prologue, it takes quite a while for The Last of Us to pick up some speed again. However, once the cold harsh winter arrives, the action (and story) ramps up. So much so, it puts most Hollywood productions to shame. [July 2013, p.76]