6.9

1. Craig
    Jan 15, 2009
    The game does quite good in terms of graphics. You can use trolls, ents, heroes, and they can be a lot of fun, but the opportunities to do so don't come around nearly as often as they should. The gameplay is otherwise not even particularly fun, and annoying more often than not. Having to re-start an entire level because you failed at a section is actively irritating. You can be The game does quite good in terms of graphics. You can use trolls, ents, heroes, and they can be a lot of fun, but the opportunities to do so don't come around nearly as often as they should. The gameplay is otherwise not even particularly fun, and annoying more often than not. Having to re-start an entire level because you failed at a section is actively irritating. You can be killed in many different and annoying ways. For example, you cna jump off a bridge and fall 30 feet, taking no damage, but if you're playing a hero and get knocked off a bridge in another level to fall the same distance, your hero is killed. The higher the difficulty of the game makes the game far more annoying due to having to start every level from the beginning if you fail a section. I ended up playing on the easy difficulty, and completed BOTH campaigns in 6-8 hours total, leaving only the online or instant action modes, which are even less engaging. A big part of the game is killing hordes of enemies, and the online/instant action modes don't spawn the same hordes, which leaves the levels feeling empty. The demo makes the game look and feel far more fun than it actually is. Unless you're a die hard fan, you'll only be disappointed in this game. Expand
  2. JoelYoungblood
    Jan 14, 2009
    As a dedicated, die-hard, borderline obsessive LOTR's fan, I have to say that this game is an insult to everything I've enjoyed about the books, films, and even (yes) previous video-games. Poor graphics, terrible controls, no more than 8v8 EVEN IN OFFLINE INSTANT ACTION. Not to mention that they just completely disregarded the lore of the books/films to cash in on a good As a dedicated, die-hard, borderline obsessive LOTR's fan, I have to say that this game is an insult to everything I've enjoyed about the books, films, and even (yes) previous video-games. Poor graphics, terrible controls, no more than 8v8 EVEN IN OFFLINE INSTANT ACTION. Not to mention that they just completely disregarded the lore of the books/films to cash in on a good license. To Pandemic/EA - GO F**K YOURSELFS. Expand
  3. andrewl
    Jan 14, 2009
    BOY IS THE DEMO RIDICULOUSLY HARD. im not terrible at games but im sure its a problem when ive played 4 straight matches in the conquest and failed to kill a single person. its like a warrior taking on a mage is so absurd that the creators thought it a joke to give them a chance. riding animals is the most pointless thing imaginable because a single hit from an arrow dismounts you, giving BOY IS THE DEMO RIDICULOUSLY HARD. im not terrible at games but im sure its a problem when ive played 4 straight matches in the conquest and failed to kill a single person. its like a warrior taking on a mage is so absurd that the creators thought it a joke to give them a chance. riding animals is the most pointless thing imaginable because a single hit from an arrow dismounts you, giving you no reason to want to ride them anyway.. most of the attacks in the game are wild and a targeting system would have been an investment, its impossible to attack someone with ranged weapons from melee as they just run and jump in circles, forcing you to blister your joystick turning the camera around.. an amazing concept turned into horror, its a shame too i love lord of the rings. Expand
  4. frankieb
    Jan 25, 2009
    This game is utterly boring, online the fights are "as dull as dishwater" (excuse that phrase) and the campaign is WWWAAAYYY too linear and clunky, it took me 12 attempts to sneak up behind someone who was standing still (while I was invisible!) and stab him in the back. Not recommended.
  5. Dec 2, 2011
    The campaign is just retarded, if you kill an enemy soldier, it comes back. I think the game could be much better without respawn. The multiplayer isn't that good. Always the same. So it really becomes boring after a few days.
  6. Jan 9, 2012
    This game would have been great online, if people could still play it online(which, of course, you can't). So, with the best part of the game removed, we get a below average Battlefront clone.
  7. Mar 17, 2012
    It's ok but a terrible misuse of the Lord of the Ring's name. The gameplay is repetitive, the campaign is chunky and uneven, the graphics are ok and the voice acting is mixed. I just don't really see how they could release such a game as this, what with how bad it is. I give it a 4/10 for it's ok stuff...

The music and dialogue is standard fantasy epic fare, although delivered flawlessly. The locations and graphics are adequate, without being spectacular, and the character models are smooth and serviceable, perhaps a consequence of the game’s online focus.
  2. Had Pandemic and EA given this game fluid action elements in tune with more modern games such as Devil May Cry and Ninja Gaiden -albeit not to those extremes- we'd have a winner on our hands. But as it stands now, Conquest fails because it feels outdated, despite featuring a novel concept.
    Clunky controls and redundant gameplay all point to the guilty party: mediocre game design.