8.2

1. Aug 31, 2010
    The Saboteur is set during World War 2, in Paris, France. In the game you play as Sean Devlin, an Irish man who likes to drink and he also has a way with women. The story starts off when a man called Luc asks you to join the French resistance, who fight against the Naziâ
  2. Apr 17, 2011
    This is a huge, open world game set in WWII Paris. The main character is a very likable Irish race car driver turned resistance fighter. Gameplay consists of driving around Paris and the surrounding countryside, planting bombs on various Nazi installations, and engaging in plenty of shootouts. Unlike some open world games, there's a gigantic amount of stuff to do here, with your primary story, secondary missions, and well over 1,000 free roam targets to destroy. You can also collect plenty of vehicles to drive, from race cars to tanks, and acquiring new weapons and other things adds a nice RPG aspect to it as well. I also loved the theme music in the game, it really game it an authentic '40s atmosphere. Overall a fantastic game. Collapse
  3. Sep 12, 2013
    I was torn between an scoring this 8 or 9, obviously I decided on a 9 simply because I loved this game so much.

I've seen too many people comparing this to Assassins Creed 2 based on the stealth aspect and especially the climbing of buildings, yes the climbing in Assassin's Creed is faster and more fluid but the climbing in The Saboteur is much more realistic which is exactly why I
    enjoyed this game so much, the realism. As far as the stealth part of the game, that too is more realistic & takes more effort than in the Assassin franchise.

The story line in The Saboteur is excellent, aside from only a few instances (Dr, Kwong to be specific) the voice acting is superb, the layout of Paris feels sprawling & real, & the graphics are fantastic for a 2009 game.

There are so many towers, speakers, searchlights, generals, etc. etc. etc. to shoot, blow up or "sabotage" I admit that I myself was a little taken aback by it all, for a moment it seemed a tad tedious but then I realized that for 1) I was focusing way too much on destroying every Nazi outpost in one fail swoop & 2) that is exactly how Nazi occupied France would have looked. Once I started focusing on the story line I became amerced in this game & all those towers & speakers came down naturally.

There are a few tiny glitches in the game but it seems that some people nit-pick way too much about the little things. I have yet to play a game that was perfect & without some flaw. This is an excellent game for anyone whom likes open world, history, a good story & a lot of fun.
  4. Jul 28, 2013
    Summary +Brilliant setting bringing home the harshness of living in an occupied country e.g. during free roam you will see people being executed +Great Gameplay blending in the combat of GTA4 (but with more refinement) with the climbing system of Assassin Creed +Interesting Story +Good variety of weapons that allow you to adopt various tactics to help beat the Nazis ? The use of greyscale in areas where the resistance isn’t strong, is debateable over whether it enhances gameplay
    ? The use of over 1100 Nazi Targets to destroy is overwhelming, but them again you don’t need to destroy all of them by any means
    -Poor Ending
    -Limited interaction with characters making them less interesting

Full Review
    Some reviewers argue that the Saboteur is just a mixture of features from Assassin Creed and GTA. However the game is far better executed than that. The combat is like GTA4 only polished and refined. The cover system is better polished which is needed particularly in missions where you are not on rooftops. This is enhanced by the two weapon limit mechanic (possible taken from Halo) which while some may argue is too limiting, for me it helped improve the level of tactics used in combat, (I would advise using a Terror Sniper Rifle and the Viper SMS allowing for long range and mid-range effectiveness). However unlike GTA where you just shoot stuff over and over again, in the Saboteur sneaking is important, in particularly the use of disguises (like Hitman) in combination with sneak takeout’s and climbing to rooftops (like in Assassin Creed). Such sneaking provides choice in how to complete missions, either by sneaking or by run and gunning. This level of combat is particularly enhanced by the use of unlocking enhancements by completing certain challenges e.g. if you sneak kill 5 generals, you unlock the ability of silent sneak kills, making sneaking while in disguise easier. All the upgrades in combination with great combat make the Saboteur have one of the best combat systems ever fitted to a game.

With regards to the story there is nothing really ground breaking as it is your standard revenge story. This begins with Dierker killing Sean’s (your character) best mate (Jules). This in combination with the Nazis invasion of France, force Sean and his companions to leave Saarbrücken area and hide out in occupied France. From them on Sean must fight alongside the Residence and eventually a British secret service, in order to discover the location of Dierker. While possible lacking originality the story is enhanced by the setting. This interesting setting of Nazi occupied France (while not historically accurately) provides a fresh setting in the gaming world. Such enhancements are made further by the use of interesting characters. The most interesting of these characters is obviously Sean, who while some have claimed he is a dull stereotype as a drunken Irishman, in fact is a well-executed character with great levels of emotion and determination, and comical one-liners e.g. when running over Nazis “that when f***ing well”. The other characters are also well executed with each having unique personalities, e.g. Veronique (Jules sister) gradually begins to forgive Sean for getting her brother killed, as she becomes more devoted to fighting for the freedom of France. There only two major problems with the story. The first is how the character interactions are limited, making the cut scenes less dramatic as you don’t care for these characters as much as you should. The second failure is the final boss battle with Dierker, which isn’t fun at all. While they try to make Dierker death satisfying, it only amounts to disappointment. Nevertheless despite its flaws the story is interesting and provides a real sense of despair, particularly when the missions getting harder towards the end.

Possible the greatest source of debate in this game is the use of having sections of the map in greyscale (with elements of red e.g. blood) to indicate weak residence in the area. While some have argued this makes the game look ugly, in my opinion it really enhanced the game, as not only did it provide a sense of progression, for by doing side missions (which are a lot of fun) these areas become colourful. Furthermore the greyscale, provided more than a mere paint job, because in such areas in become noticeable more difficult to escape Nazis. The next area of debate is the use of over 1100 Nazi installations for you to destroy. I don’t have much of a problem with this because while it may feel like padding, you only need to destroy some installations to gain enough contraband to buy unlocks etc.

Nevertheless this game is amazing and one I wished they would make a sequel too, possible set in Vietnam, where you could fight for the Vietcong or the USA. However this is unlikely to happen as the Saboteur was the last game developed by Pandemic Studios.
  5. Sep 16, 2014
    This game is actually really enjoyable, with a well constructed story that differentiates from the stereotypical shooter style expected around this period in history. The missions in the game certainly do become repetitive and trying to actually get around stealthily with a disguise can often be a frustration to put it lightly, but for the most part it is a game I find myself continually wanting to play. The Saboteur is a game well worth giving a go. Expand
  6. Apr 17, 2011

1. The characters are interesting, and so the story is more rewarding than you would imagine. Yes, there are some control issues, but they aren't terrible enough to disregard the game.
  2. Pandemic delivers one of their best efforts, offering an experience that innovates both the sandbox and WWII genres. It’s not without its flaws, but its slick action, cinematic style, and colorful characters rise above its shortcomings.
  3. Pandemic's effort is commendable, but The Saboteur feels like it had a saboteur of its own lurking in the code. No matter how many times I came back to The Saboteur, or how badly I wanted to love the game, the unrefined gameplay became less, and less tolerable.