7.5

1. Oct 19, 2013
    I consider this as a 'Summer Special' considering the game has an almost Television format. This special DLC was pretty much what I expected. It wasn't very long, it was quite overpriced considering it's length. But it was still very fun to play, left some mystery at the end and left me pumped for Season Two of The Walking Dead Video Game!
  2. Jul 12, 2013
    Decent, but left more questions than answers. Nothing great wouldn't rush to get it. Its nice to get an idea of what's next for season 2 though which is good.
  3. Jul 6, 2013
    After loving the original I had to buy this. but I feel that they have made a mistake making a 5-in-1. Don't get me wrong this game is good but I didn't like fact that each story got me really into it then it suddenly stops. I feel they should have made a full episode for each character.
    I wouldn't say this game picks up from where the first left off, it takes place at the same time as the first but it does set the story up nicely for the 2nd game.
    But I'd say they have improved greatly on the animations, graphics and control system.

This addition is worth the money but has left me thinking that they could have done more. But overall it is a good solid DLC.
  4. Sep 2, 2013
    It's good but I can't help but feel that it should have been more. The originals strengths remain; storytelling, voice-acting and difficult and satisfying decisions. It's nice to see that what you decide impacts the wrap-up at the end of this 1-2 hour experience but I can't help but feel that we should have gotten more time with each character. Don't get me wrong the characters are goodIt's good but I can't help but feel that it should have been more. The originals strengths remain; storytelling, voice-acting and difficult and satisfying decisions. It's nice to see that what you decide impacts the wrap-up at the end of this 1-2 hour experience but I can't help but feel that we should have gotten more time with each character. Don't get me wrong the characters are good (great in some cases) but without the long character development of the original title you don't care a tiny bit about them.
    But as a teaser for the next season, this game works for the most part. It provides some thrills and if these characters properly impact the impending story then it's completely fine. If only we had had a running time of twice what we got then this might have been the best thing I've ever bought for 5 bucks but it does fall a bit short of that, especially with the quality I've come to expect from this series.
    In any case, if you enjoyed the original then there is no reason why you shouldn't buy this instead of an ice-cream.
  5. Aug 28, 2013
    I am a huge fan of the 5 part series. Each chapter was epic. In 400 Days I felt like the the short stories were interesting but lacked the personal investment that the others had. There were a couple interesting new mechanics and I like how it all wrapped up. In previous chapters I haven't had the urge to go back and replay them to see how they pan out... in 400 Days it encourages moreI am a huge fan of the 5 part series. Each chapter was epic. In 400 Days I felt like the the short stories were interesting but lacked the personal investment that the others had. There were a couple interesting new mechanics and I like how it all wrapped up. In previous chapters I haven't had the urge to go back and replay them to see how they pan out... in 400 Days it encourages more replay... but the second time around its a little disappointing to see how little changes based on your choices. It was $5... so no regrets at all. If you're a Walking Dead fan, get it for sure. Expand
  6. May 11, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. really good stories. i love it. I do not have to say anything more. But i need to write one hundred and fifty characters. i think my score can describe it. Expand
  7. Dec 18, 2013
    Seems to be a set-up for things to come but as a seperate story this is worthless. And seeing as season two was still 6 months away when this game came out it's not worth your money. If it costs less money then a normal episode it could've been worth it.
  8. Jul 4, 2013
    I adore Telltale's Walking Dead game. I convinced all of my close friends to buy, and play through it just so we could talk about the story. It is one of the few stories in gaming that's really, really engaged me. I was also really impressed with the way they handled the idea of episodic gaming. The way each episode ended was perfect for a continuing story, and for 2 or 3 hours every twoI adore Telltale's Walking Dead game. I convinced all of my close friends to buy, and play through it just so we could talk about the story. It is one of the few stories in gaming that's really, really engaged me. I was also really impressed with the way they handled the idea of episodic gaming. The way each episode ended was perfect for a continuing story, and for 2 or 3 hours every two months they had my complete, undivided attention.

When I saw them announce at Sony's 2013 E3 conference that there was going to be a bridging episode between the first and second season, I was immediately on board. When it came up on Steam, I immediately purchased it.

After 2.5 hours of playing, I can honestly say I wasn't satisfied.

(I apologize if you consider describing the structure as spoilers; but I will be absolutely spoiler-free in terms of story)

The structure of the episode is to break everything up into small, succinct stories each with their own cast of characters. This is a fairly impressive task that they came up with a bunch of scenarios; but I feel like the execution was poor. All of the decisions felt very contrived, some of the voiceover was extremely weak, and by the end of it, I didn't want to play anymore. I had to force myself through the last two scenarios because I had nearly ceased caring by that point.

On my Macbook Pro (2011), there were a lot of framerate issues, as well as some buggy graphics and really janky movement issues. I would rather have played it on my PC, and maybe those issues are fixed there; but this happens to be where my save lives, and at that moment in time I didn't feel like migrating it haha. Though those don't affect the story/writing at all, it impacted my experience.

I'll sum it up here and say that this episode seems like it could have some interesting bearing on the coming season; but I found my experience with it to be fairly negative. That is not to say it isn't "good," the writing quality is still pretty good; but I felt no connection to any of the scenarios.

I gave this game 3/5 because I feel that the quality is there, it just really didn't appeal to me and there were some things I really disliked about it.
  9. Aug 7, 2013
    A "Meh" DLC. You don't get to know the characters to well, which makes you not really care about them. The choises you make have almost no effect on the story. I know it's a DLC, but still... The story's should've been longer IMO. You shoul've got the same exact feeling when playing the main game. But no, they kind of failed in that. 6/10
  10. Jul 22, 2013
    The Walking Dead: 400 Days is a bittersweet, 90-minute journey, that brings you through the climactic points of five different individual's stories. The game starts out at a truck stop message board, where you have the opportunity to engage in these five stories in whichever order you like.

Each adventure is marked on the notice board by a name and picture of each character. Telltale has done a very good job in choosing a variety of personalities for these individuals and no two are alike. Each story is engaging and will have you at the edge of your seat for most of the 90 minute play-through. The different settings allow Telltale to add scope to their Walking Dead universe and never feel dull or boring. You'll be chased by bad guys into the middle of nowhere, be entangled in a love triangle while trudging through a spooky forest, get a sense of a post-apocalyptic community while inhabiting an abandoned rest stop, catch a free ride to the prison on a prison bus, and make your way to your grandma's house while meeting an interesting person on the way. All these stories take part in the 400 day timeline from the first few days of the start of the zombie invasion to the last few days. There is so much variety here that keeps each and every story interesting.

Not only is there a variety of places and times, but the most important part of this game are the choices and actions you partake in, which weigh heavily on the outcome of each character's life. In each story there is at least one instance where those decisions won't be easy and your gut reaction might not be the right reaction. However, that is what this game is all about...it is true to life, where our actions could lead to a devastating outcome. You may find yourself stuck between making a morally good decision or a necessary decision(not always the same). You may determine the fate of characters that you have briefly gotten to know. That is what makes this game great. Many of these decisions evoke an emotional response, which is rare.

If you have played The Walking Dead: Season One, you will feel right at home with the controls and game-play. The way you choose dialogue, control each character's movement, and engage in combat through quick-time events have not changed. The voice acting and script are phenomenal and as engaging as ever. However, there is the occasional dialogue where the lip syncs are off and some slowdown. Nevertheless, the game and story do not suffer from these minor hiccups. You might not even notice most of them. My biggest qualm with this game is the amount of time(or lack there of) it takes to play through these stories. In my first play-through, it took me about 90 minutes to complete the game. It was a little disappointing considering the amount of questions this game left unanswered, but that is exactly what Telltale wanted. Yet, there is no question that you will replay(as I have already done) each of the stories to see what you did wrong and what could have been.

A game like this, that makes you question your judgement and connect emotionally to the stories, is what made the original Walking Dead game great. The Walking Dead: 400 Days is a crumb in the bigger cake that is to be released with Season 2. It acquainted you with the characters you will see in Season 2 by throwing you into the pivotal moments of their lives. It makes you crave for more like an impatient toddler who received a free sample of chocolate and now wants the whole candy store. In that sense, Telltale has completed what they set out to do and has made an extraordinary buffer between Season 1 and Season 2. If you call yourself any kind of Walking Dead fan, you need to pick this decaying puppy up.

1. You could see 400 Days as a great dessert after an exquisite meal. Or maybe as an appetizer for a second course, because we were left wanting much more, even though this DLC does not quite reach the same heights as the original series. [September p.90]
  2. Aug 20, 2013
    As a teaser for the next season, it's superb. [Issue#234, p.85]
  3. Aug 18, 2013
    If you go into 400 Days expecting the same intense, emotional, roller coaster of a ride that Season 1 produced then you could be disappointed. With characters leaving almost as quickly as they are introduced there’s no time to get any sort of attachment, particularly when playing as a different person in each chapter. Keep your expectations in check however and there’s still plenty to get out of 400 Days, with an ending that could tie into the next season, this is still a worthy chapter in the series.