8.4

1. Dec 24, 2013
    As far as the story goes this episode satisfied me. It sets up this new season for a lot of twists and turns and the world of "The Walking Dead" just feels darker and more dangerous than the previous season. There aren't many moments where you get to make choices that severely effect the experience, but overall I'm satisfied with the story of this new episode. Where this episodeAs far as the story goes this episode satisfied me. It sets up this new season for a lot of twists and turns and the world of "The Walking Dead" just feels darker and more dangerous than the previous season. There aren't many moments where you get to make choices that severely effect the experience, but overall I'm satisfied with the story of this new episode. Where this episode disappoints me is with it's gameplay, or lack thereof.

For most of this episode you are watching rather than playing. There are no puzzles and only a few quick time events. For the most part all you are doing in the gameplay department is walking forward and clicking on things to pick up or look at in the environment. I get that the story has always been the focus of this series, but the first season of this game did give us actual gameplay in the form of things like puzzles or shooting sections. This first episode forsakes things like that and ends up hardly feeling like a game at all. There aren't even any real big choices to make. The whole episode feels like it's on rails and practically defines the term linear.

Still despite my issues with this latest episode I can't help but get excited about where this story is going in the future episodes, and I do recommend it to those who loved the first season. There are some shocking, brutal, and emotional moments here that will stick with you long after the credits have rolled. It's just really disappointing to me that there aren't any real choices to make and that I was watching WAY more than I was playing. I hope that the next episodes will give me more decisions to make and provide me with more gameplay than this episode did. I found this to be a disappointing start to this new chapter, but I still can't help but be excited to see where the story goes from here in the future episodes.

1. Mar 17, 2014
    It's a shame the controls aren't very responsive and we grew tired of the framedrops by the end of the episode, though if you're willing to overlook that, you'll get a great premiere to what promises to be another brilliant season of the Walking Dead videogame. Prepare to be emotionally wrecked, guys - 'cause you sure as hell will be.
  2. Play UK
    Feb 15, 2014
    Every bit as engrossing as before, Season Two could hardly have begun in better fashion. [Issue#240, p.66]
  3. Jan 20, 2014
    As you’d expect, new characters are introduced, the writing and voice acting is outstanding, and you’ll feel more protective of protagonist Clementine than any previous episode. We are a little concerned that the already established character may influence your decisions a little too much, but this is still an undeniably strong opening to another promising Telltale Games series.