7.5

1. Mar 31, 2014
    People saying it's Linear, Repetitive, childish, ugly, boring and easy are 100% wrong. Stop listening to people that barely play the games before reviewing and watch a walkthrough. This game is gorgeous, original, innovative and exactly what rpg gamers needed.
  2. Mar 25, 2014
    It always happens that some of the very best titles on a platform are released toward the end of the console's life. They're called anchor titles, named so because they make it seem unnecessary- for a time- to pick up a next gen console. The Witch and the Hundred Knight is one of those anchor releases.

I got the game on the 21st (EU release) and played it day-in day-out until I finished it. I did the grinding for bonus objectives and items and fully explored every map, so this review is based on a complete experience.

Despite its ostensible billing as a darkly twisted comedy, TWHK is actually quite earnestly dark for a JRPG. Metallica, the titular Witch, is a genuinely wicked individual for most of the game (or all of it, depending on your sensibilities), and as the Hundred Knight you'll witness her committing some straight-up deplorable acts. I was delighted that Metallica's evil wasn't the whimsical, inoffensive cartoonish sort, but your mileage may vary so consider yourself forewarned.

The story is quite unconventional, especially by the standards of JRPGs. Metallica's goals- and by extension the goals of the Hundred Knight are very straightforward in the beginning, but just like the various combat and resource systems, the story acquires and incorporates additional layers as you progress. That it manages to do so without falling into Squeenix-patented contrivance and convolution and without messing up the pacing is worthy of some praise.

Speaking of the combat and resource systems, they're introduced at the rate of about one or two per map after the tutorial until they're all in place. If you need to run the tutorial panels again then you can always do so from the main menu, but TWHK's systems interlock so neatly, and are so intuitive, that I very much doubt you'll have to.

The most significant mechanic is Gcals, which is both a resource and combat mechanic. If I have one big criticism of the game, it's that the Gcal mechanic micromanages the player somewhat, and if you don't pick up on this through regular play, the consequences might worsen your experience.

Gcals burn down from 100 to zero as you perform actions with the Hundred Knight. From map start, you have about ten minutes worth of Gcals which can be replenished at checkpoints in return for a temporary currency called GRADE. You earn GRADE by killing regular monsters.

And that is what the micromanagement of you boils down to: TWHK punishes you for bee-lining from way-point to way-point in a race to the map bosses without building GRADE by almost guaranteeing that you'll run into those bosses with too few Gcals left to win. The penalty for death is minor, but it's still an inconvenience, so make sure you nip it in the bud by doing a little fighting all the way.

Luckily, you'll probably want to fight!

In order to do violence to Metallica's enemies, you'll build your own combos from weapons that deal either Slash, Blunt or Magic damage. The aim is for a mix that flows smoothly, suits you personally and mixes all three varieties. If this element has one flaw, it's that you can't save configurations and load them at will. That occasional irritation aside, it's a really great element that I had a lot of fun constantly tinkering with.

The fighting itself is a simple, well trodden concept with solid execution. Dodge, defend and deploy a mixture of attacks and special skills to overcome your enemies. Overhead prompts coincide with enemy wind-ups, but they're neither intrusive nor patronising. Pulling various types of enemies together is incentivised by the soft Gcal time limit and the desire to earn GRADE, and is what ultimately will provide you with the most rewarding battles, as you dodge direct and indirect attacks from all sides while slaying foe after foe.

Finally, on non-visual atmospheric elements like soundtrack and voice-work, I'll admit up-front that I'm not an audiophile, before saying: the music is fun and catchy- some tracks more than others- but for the most part I didn't notice it (although I might have noticed the absence of it, had I turned it off via its separate slider). The English voice-work is incomplete, not covering all the conversations that are voiced in Japanese. For me this was not a problem, as the Japanese voice-work is usually superior and I switched to it immediately after a quick test.

Overall, a mighty anchor title for JRPG fans. If that's what you call yourself, then do yourself a huge favour. Buy this excellent game!

Note: review is *intentionally* bereft of narrative details. Also light on mechanics details, as I only single features out if they are an impediment to the game or like Gcals, require specific addressing. Review is also bereft of commentary on the graphics, as anybody can review TWHK's appearance for themselves on Youtube.
  3. Mar 26, 2014
    "Metallia is so immediately distasteful that most players will be turned off in the first hour" REALLY! You are going to rate this game so badly because you don't like character that is supposed to be the mean person? I would expect this from a YouTube commenter but not from a serious game critic! This game is very good, its not the best but its good. I feel like this game would have been"Metallia is so immediately distasteful that most players will be turned off in the first hour" REALLY! You are going to rate this game so badly because you don't like character that is supposed to be the mean person? I would expect this from a YouTube commenter but not from a serious game critic! This game is very good, its not the best but its good. I feel like this game would have been better if it were on the Ps4 (or even the Vita) but most games, especially these lesser known gems, tend to go unnoticed when they are released at the end of a consoles life. Expand
  4. Mar 25, 2014
    Pay no mind to the bad reviews from critics who clearly have no appreciation for great Japanese titles. they are all just mind numbed by the **** 4 hour long, western, one big giant quick time events that we call games over here.

this game has a lavishly beautiful world and equally stunning and sumptuous character designs as is the norm for a NIS title. If you like the Disgaea series you will find everything to love in this game.

Metallica (Metallia in the western release) is an awesome character and a great change of pace from your normal protagonist! plus shes super easy on the eyes if that's you kind of thing (almost as good as Etna/Flonne (disgaea). i found myself stopping to admire the character art so many times during the dialogue scenes in this game!

The combat is hands down the best part of the game and will keep you entertained customizing your combos for the entire length of the game. Its always very fresh.

The music is definitely the music of a NIS title.. and believe me NIS titles have some of THE ABSOLUTE BEST MUSIC IN VIDEO GAME HISTORY.

The story is solid as well, and as a whole Witch and the Hundred Knight is a fantastic entry into the PS3 Catalog of finely crafted Japanese titles!

If you are a fan of JRPGs, Action RPGs, or NIS games in general you need to pick up this title! If you don't Metallica will likely kill you with swamp gas, or her devilishly good looks. Both of which are a distinct possibility.
  5. Apr 8, 2014
    This is a fun game that can be challenging. The time limit concept is interesting. Metallia really is pure evil but it's what makes the game interesting. You could think of this game in terms of other dungeon crawlers that drop random loot so if that's the sort of game you like it might be interesting for you.
  6. Apr 3, 2014
    With highly addictive gameplay, challenging levels and bosses and a dark, twisted storyline, this is, in my opinion, one of the most unique titles in the PS3 library. Its gameplay elements and music remind me a lot of of some classic RPG games for the SNES and Playstation.

This is a unique, unconventional, fun and amazing game. However, there are some cons worth mentioning. I summarize some of its pros and cons below:

Pros: Challenging levels. Interlocking gameplay mechanics that complement each other well. Addictive gameplay. Extremely good music. Unconventional storyline.

Cons: The lengthy tutorial in the beginning doesn't explain well the game mechanics. Maybe this is why the critics are giving it such low ratings. Mainly, you have to either figure out things on your own, or do some research online before you give this game a try, and indeed, this can be frustrating. Also, graphics are a bit outdated and the action is obscured by the scenario sometimes.

However, once you understand how each element works, and how they fit together, you'll realize this is one of the best games in the PS3 library. Worth giving it a try, specially if you like dungeon crawlers.
  7. Apr 30, 2017
    Nobody can agree on anything about this game, but i'll try explaining it's appeal like this:

If you're genuinely open-minded about other cultures and not some coffee shop liberal, try playing the whole game before making snap judgements about someone else's sense of humor. The Witch is deeper than i expected, and i expected a JRPG, which are not notoriously shallow as a class of experiences.

It get a little slow in places, gameplay wise, despite offering a lot to do in the meta game, but i enjoyed the characters and the plot so much i kept coming back (ahem, Drakengrad 3, ahem).

For once in my life i believe it's probably pretty fair to judge this one by it's cover. If it looks good, and you want it to be, it probably will be, but if you go in expecting to be disappointed, you'll undoubtedly find stuff to complain about. It might win over a skeptical first-time gamer, but there are none of those here, just whiny/effusive otaku.

Just like me. Holla. :D
  8. Oct 1, 2014
    Do not believe the critic reviews THIS GAME IS AWESOME!. Probably one of the funniest games i've played with very enjoyable dark humour. One of the best NIS game i've ever played and i'm a very big fan of Disgaea etc. but this game is very fresh and fun. The combat is awesome and i think of it as the combat of Diablo mixed with NIS flair with it's many various options and mechanics but itDo not believe the critic reviews THIS GAME IS AWESOME!. Probably one of the funniest games i've played with very enjoyable dark humour. One of the best NIS game i've ever played and i'm a very big fan of Disgaea etc. but this game is very fresh and fun. The combat is awesome and i think of it as the combat of Diablo mixed with NIS flair with it's many various options and mechanics but it isn't bogged down at all by them like some critic reviews say. The Voice acting is some of the best NIS offers IMO and if you're a fan of based like disgaea you will almost certainly love this game. Never have critics been so wrong about a game Expand
  9. Mar 27, 2014
    No one but a Nippon Ichi fanchild could possibly enjoy this game. The gameplay is repetitive and linear, the characters are completely vapid, and the story is childish beyond belief. The non-cutscene art is even bland and ugly. Seriously, save yourself some time and money and skip this garbage. Even if you like JRPGs, you should think long and hard before you dive into this mess.

The

The music is decent, I'll give it that.
  10. Mar 25, 2014
    if you push yourself through the annoying, repetitive initial/tutorial part of the beginning of the game, and twenty minutes of dialogues, maybe this game be for you. i cannot play it for more than two hours...
  11. May 2, 2015
    The storyline is fine with it's take of playing on what is like being on the villains side being a fresh air. I enjoyed the storyline completely but an RPG isn't just a story it also has to have it's gameplay function. That's where it trickles down to cataclysmal levels. The gcal system is a good concept and all but most rpg's try to encourage exploration and it's pretty cannibalizing inThe storyline is fine with it's take of playing on what is like being on the villains side being a fresh air. I enjoyed the storyline completely but an RPG isn't just a story it also has to have it's gameplay function. That's where it trickles down to cataclysmal levels. The gcal system is a good concept and all but most rpg's try to encourage exploration and it's pretty cannibalizing in that regard and rather encourages jumping the gun and going from waypoint to waypoint and you'd make it through the boss just fine if you armed yourself properly. The camera angle is the absolute worst in this game as you'll be fighting the nauseating perspective point while still not have the camera black out because of a wall, and it constantly readjusts so there isn't anything to do but hope your eyes don't hurt after this. The music is overtly repetitive as I'm trying to explore and hear the same 2 minute soundtrack 20 times with no variation at all it becomes where I just muted the music. The fighting is repetitive as there are only 5 weapons in the game and rarely ever does it change due to either needing to be adequately armed in blunt, slash, or magic damage discourages using the other two and some animations lock you in which isn't wise to take (spear and sword at 5.) Another sin is its inconsistency to maintain what it's doing. One map you have the objective on there clear as day and the next one it asks you to find 5 things with no indicator on the map whatsoever. The only other thing that also comes to mind is the animation during dialogue cutscenes: It's just a bare minimum with a limited amount of animations put in altogether and it just feels lazy as I've seen the exact same animation 40 other times. So I will say there is hardly anything wrong with the story aside from some of the dialogue scenes being repetitive animations, but the gameplay is just a giant mess of linearity, inconsistency in conveyance, discouraging of exploration, and overall frustrating or boring Expand

1. Nov 13, 2014
    Metallia's antics coupled with the dull gameplay was just too much to take. Even if it does get better later on, the hours I sunk into the game's unsatisfying mechanics and nasty storyline left me cold. NIS has many good titles in their library, but this isn't one of them.
  2. CD-Action
    Jun 28, 2014
    The designers decided that convoluted RPG mechanics and 40 hours of artificially bloated content is what the action RPG genre needs. [05/2014, p.68]
  3. Playstation Official Magazine UK