Tiger Woods PGA Tour 14 PlayStation 3

3.8

1. Mar 28, 2013
    This is one of my favourite game series, and one that I buy every single year, good or bad. So far 2014 is pretty good. I don't like motion gaming, so I have no idea if that works well or not. If I want to swing a club, I will play real golf. Also, I have the historic edition, so I may not have some of the DLC issues that other people mentioned yet, but again, I love this series and haveThis is one of my favourite game series, and one that I buy every single year, good or bad. So far 2014 is pretty good. I don't like motion gaming, so I have no idea if that works well or not. If I want to swing a club, I will play real golf. Also, I have the historic edition, so I may not have some of the DLC issues that other people mentioned yet, but again, I love this series and have no problem paying for additional courses or content if need be. The gameplay is largely the same as last year, with the graphics and menu fonts changed slightly. There is some added commentary, but you'll hear a lot of the same stuff as before. The biggest thing I read in previews, was that the putting was so hard. They have gotten ride of the putting circle, and instead force you to read the greens, line it up, and get 1 putt preview per hole, to see how you did. This was tricky for the first 9 holes that I played, but once you get used to it, you can make putts pretty easily. The first round I played was with Graeme McDowell at Augusta and shot 68. The first round I played with my character, I shot a 55 in the US Amateur. I was happy to see in creating my character I was rewarded with 50,000 XP points off the bat for having a PGA Tour 2013 profile on my hard drive. Always nice to be rewarded in game for your loyalty to the series. In the past, I would hit errant drives or wedges on occasion, but this year, it seems pretty hard to the ball. 90-95% of the time I am in the fairway and get GIR. I love this game, and all of the features, but wish they would make it harder from year to year. Anyone who has played Tiger Woods the past 2-3 years could pick this up and shoot under par with no real issues. The only problem I have with this series every year is the load times. It seems no matter what they do, it always takes forever to play 18 holes, and the wait between holes really kills your momentum. Also, when changing clubs, or clothes and accessories for your character, it takes AGES to save the changes and move on, almost to the point where I don't even want to make any equipment or clothing changes. Overall, with the addition of all four majors, the legends mode, better online play, new pro golfers, LPGA mode, revised putting, and as always, Augusta National, this game is worth getting. If you are looking for some groundbreaking changes from the previous year, you're going to be disappointed. Expand
  2. Apr 13, 2013
    This game had all the potential to be an incredible game. the graphics are good and for the most part the controls score par. However, for a huge company like EA that has a massive bank account to release a flagship golf title with sound issues is unfathomable to me. they simply said f*** it, we'll save development money and release it before it's polished, and maybe send these suckers aThis game had all the potential to be an incredible game. the graphics are good and for the most part the controls score par. However, for a huge company like EA that has a massive bank account to release a flagship golf title with sound issues is unfathomable to me. they simply said f*** it, we'll save development money and release it before it's polished, and maybe send these suckers a patch later. Also, to have courses that are on the actual career mode tour be locked until you pay for them makes me sick. Once again, EA shows its true colors. It's not interested in making good games, it has chosen to only make games that look like they should be decent to dupe enough people into buying them. their entire core mechanics of the game are just flimsy. the load times are ridiculous when you are saving character changes or trying to load a course to play, and even though the graphics are good, their are sometimes bugs (like my hat wobbling in the breeze like a flag) that just make you scratch your head. I gave this game a 5 simply because it is just an awful exercise in money grabbing by EA. I would have given it a 2 or a 3 except that god help me, there is still something almost magical when you actually make a really good shot for eagle or birdie, but I can't tell if that just comes from me being competitive or the game itself... all in all my final verdict is rent don't buy. unless you REALLY just love golf (where I would suggest last years title anyways) I think you'll be done with TW. PGA tour 14 after a couple of rounds Expand
  3. Sep 2, 2013
    Love the game..only issue I am having is when I create my own player the game will freeze on me. I am unable to play in "career" mode which totally sucks! Any suggestions? Is this happening to anyone else? Maybe I have a defective game.
  4. Apr 3, 2013
    This game so far for me is a well polished classic golfing game. Controls are on point and extremely accurate. The analog stick tracking for swinging is extremely accurate.The PS Move works great with it also; very accurate. I will probably use the Move 50% of the time with this game. Online can be played with up to 24 players, and you can play ranked matches as well with I think up to 4This game so far for me is a well polished classic golfing game. Controls are on point and extremely accurate. The analog stick tracking for swinging is extremely accurate.The PS Move works great with it also; very accurate. I will probably use the Move 50% of the time with this game. Online can be played with up to 24 players, and you can play ranked matches as well with I think up to 4 players. Extra courses are optional buys, I opted not to do it but may buy a 4 pack for $10. One last point to make about the pricing is that this game contains 20 courses compared to last year's 16, so you are getting a better value than PGA 13 for sure.
    This is a realistic game and can be as hard or easy as you would like. There are many settings that can be changed for difficulty and personalization. All boosts can be bought with coins that can be earned in-game, so people making micro-transactions do not have the upper hand in online play.
    The graphics are great and the real time course weather as well as lighting during different times of day is on-point. Overall, I think this is a great game With many many hours of fun to be had.
    Note: I did not own any previous PGA Tour games, but I have played them.

1. There is a lot of reading material if you are interested in some of golf's most legendary feats, but you can stow away any hopes of seeing such performances in the game itself. Tiger Woods PGA Tours seems to be desperate for the next generation. [May 2013, p.92]
  2. May 27, 2013
    As always, one for the dedicated. [Issue#231, p.83]
  3. If you’ve never played a golfing game before this would be a great place to start. It’s packed with a great introduction to the sport, dozens of hours of content, and there’s few things more satisfying than rocking up to the 18th one stroke behind, only to sink an astounding 35-metre chip for the tournament win. [June 2013, p79]