3.8

1. Apr 13, 2013
    This game had all the potential to be an incredible game. the graphics are good and for the most part the controls score par. However, for a huge company like EA that has a massive bank account to release a flagship golf title with sound issues is unfathomable to me. they simply said f*** it, we'll save development money and release it before it's polished, and maybe send these suckers a patch later. Also, to have courses that are on the actual career mode tour be locked until you pay for them makes me sick. Once again, EA shows its true colors. It's not interested in making good games, it has chosen to only make games that look like they should be decent to dupe enough people into buying them. their entire core mechanics of the game are just flimsy. the load times are ridiculous when you are saving character changes or trying to load a course to play, and even though the graphics are good, their are sometimes bugs (like my hat wobbling in the breeze like a flag) that just make you scratch your head. I gave this game a 5 simply because it is just an awful exercise in money grabbing by EA. I would have given it a 2 or a 3 except that god help me, there is still something almost magical when you actually make a really good shot for eagle or birdie, but I can't tell if that just comes from me being competitive or the game itself... all in all my final verdict is rent don't buy. unless you REALLY just love golf (where I would suggest last years title anyways) I think you'll be done with TW. PGA tour 14 after a couple of rounds Expand
  2. Mar 28, 2013
    This is one of my favourite game series, and one that I buy every single year, good or bad. So far 2014 is pretty good. I don't like motion gaming, so I have no idea if that works well or not. If I want to swing a club, I will play real golf. Also, I have the historic edition, so I may not have some of the DLC issues that other people mentioned yet, but again, I love this series and have no problem paying for additional courses or content if need be. The gameplay is largely the same as last year, with the graphics and menu fonts changed slightly. There is some added commentary, but you'll hear a lot of the same stuff as before. The biggest thing I read in previews, was that the putting was so hard. They have gotten ride of the putting circle, and instead force you to read the greens, line it up, and get 1 putt preview per hole, to see how you did. This was tricky for the first 9 holes that I played, but once you get used to it, you can make putts pretty easily. The first round I played was with Graeme McDowell at Augusta and shot 68. The first round I played with my character, I shot a 55 in the US Amateur. I was happy to see in creating my character I was rewarded with 50,000 XP points off the bat for having a PGA Tour 2013 profile on my hard drive. Always nice to be rewarded in game for your loyalty to the series. In the past, I would hit errant drives or wedges on occasion, but this year, it seems pretty hard to the ball. 90-95% of the time I am in the fairway and get GIR. I love this game, and all of the features, but wish they would make it harder from year to year. Anyone who has played Tiger Woods the past 2-3 years could pick this up and shoot under par with no real issues. The only problem I have with this series every year is the load times. It seems no matter what they do, it always takes forever to play 18 holes, and the wait between holes really kills your momentum. Also, when changing clubs, or clothes and accessories for your character, it takes AGES to save the changes and move on, almost to the point where I don't even want to make any equipment or clothing changes. Overall, with the addition of all four majors, the legends mode, better online play, new pro golfers, LPGA mode, revised putting, and as always, Augusta National, this game is worth getting. If you are looking for some groundbreaking changes from the previous year, you're going to be disappointed. Expand
  3. Mar 27, 2013
    Sure this game is more than 0, but EA's greedy and irresponsible behaviours are simply ridiculous. 1. The voice and motion controls are broken alongside other problems. 2. Day one DLCs which only means ugly money milking. 3. You cannot complete tour without spending money buying DLC courses. 4. Micro-transection which means you can cheat with money buying your gear up. So you see, it's always about money with little effort about improving gaming experience. Expand
  4. Mar 30, 2013
    This game contains at least one CRITICAL flaw. To quote EA's own site "Online Multiplayer 1-2". For one, since when is "1" multiplayer?

Lastly, golf is traditionally played by a foursome. Why on Earth is the game limited to 2 player online multiplayer? Some of the earlier versions of the game were not limited in that way. Why would EA remove such a key feature from the game? BIZARRE!!!!

From that reason alone (max of 2 players online multiplayer) I give Tiger Woods 14 and resounding 0.
  5. Apr 3, 2013
    This game so far for me is a well polished classic golfing game. Controls are on point and extremely accurate. The analog stick tracking for swinging is extremely accurate.The PS Move works great with it also; very accurate. I will probably use the Move 50% of the time with this game. Online can be played with up to 24 players, and you can play ranked matches as well with I think up to 4 players. Extra courses are optional buys, I opted not to do it but may buy a 4 pack for $10. One last point to make about the pricing is that this game contains 20 courses compared to last year's 16, so you are getting a better value than PGA 13 for sure.
    This is a realistic game and can be as hard or easy as you would like. There are many settings that can be changed for difficulty and personalization. All boosts can be bought with coins that can be earned in-game, so people making micro-transactions do not have the upper hand in online play.
    The graphics are great and the real time course weather as well as lighting during different times of day is on-point. Overall, I think this is a great game With many many hours of fun to be had.
    Note: I did not own any previous PGA Tour games, but I have played them.
  6. Apr 4, 2013
    This game is getting an unfair shake. Other reviewers have given this game a 0 because it doesn't have a couple of features they wanted.

If you are like me and you haven't bought a Tiger game in a few years, it's well worth the price. Great game, great accuracy, and decent graphics. It has lots of options to adjust difficulty. Career mode is fun and challenging.

My only con is
    the load times are pretty slow.

Overall great game. Can't speak to those who bought last years and this years.
  7. Apr 6, 2013
    I find this game to be unplayable.
    1) After any change of settings or even finishing a tournament, it takes forever to save the user settings. This can range from 2 minutes to "forever" (I turn off the PS3 after 10 minutes).
    2a) The manual does not describe the fact that the listed club distance is not actually the distance that a swing will cause I learned by searching forums that a
    "full swing" will cause the ball to travel to the aim point, not the listed distance.
    2b) The manual does not describe how to cause ball spin after it is in flight I learned of the existence of this feature by watching a YouTube video on how to play the game.
    2c) What else does the manual not describe???
    3) In practice mode for the first amateur tournament, I can't move the aimpoint very far for a wood or iron, and can't move it at all for a putt. What good is a practice mode if it behaves differently than the real mode I'm trying to practice for?
    4) After finishing the first amateur open tournament, but not winning it, I can't enter the US open because I didn't qualify. However, I also can't re-play the amateur tournament to attempt to win it. If you don't win your first tournament on your first try, you have to delete your golfer and create a new one to try again. That's really lame.
    5a) I tried to use the Move controller, but the game won't let me unless I also have an Eye Camera. There is nothing in the manual that specifies this requirement.
    5b) While using the Move controller (after going out a buying an Eye Camera), every few minutes the game pops up an error message telling me that my controller is no longer connected. This is because while using the Move, my main PS3 controller is not being used, so it times out. Ridiculous.

Overall don't waste your money or time on this lousy piece of software.
  8. Apr 11, 2013
    I've been playing tw since it began. It has it's up and down years. Last year was great. You could play the game without having to dish out more money to play all courses. This year the average price to buy a course has gone from coins to greenbacks. With a 5 buck average. 4getaboutit! Game play online is like watching paint dry. You can't see what another player is doing. Other player shot count is gone. Another player comes up on the screen and just stands with their back to you no continuing motion. The average time to play 18 holes is 30 min. What happened EA? Ooop's I know. Less content than last year. Pay to play more courses. Laugh all the way to the bank right EA. Maybe you have some patches coming and offer more ways to obtain items. I can only hope! But you really dropped the ball on 14 and it's in the deep rough. Expand
  9. Sep 2, 2013
    Love the game..only issue I am having is when I create my own player the game will freeze on me. I am unable to play in "career" mode which totally sucks! Any suggestions? Is this happening to anyone else? Maybe I have a defective game.

1. There is a lot of reading material if you are interested in some of golf's most legendary feats, but you can stow away any hopes of seeing such performances in the game itself. Tiger Woods PGA Tours seems to be desperate for the next generation. [May 2013, p.92]
  2. May 27, 2013
    As always, one for the dedicated. [Issue#231, p.83]
  3. If you’ve never played a golfing game before this would be a great place to start. It’s packed with a great introduction to the sport, dozens of hours of content, and there’s few things more satisfying than rocking up to the 18th one stroke behind, only to sink an astounding 35-metre chip for the tournament win. [June 2013, p79]