4.9

1. Nov 15, 2013
    while the English voice acting is awful. the Japanese sounds much better. the graphics look amazing, although the animations can look awkward at times. the combat is a bit odd but easy to grasp and pretty fun. the story is alright but the characters themselves are pretty bland and models are reused a lot. there is also a lot of unnecessary movement when the characters are talking. definitely not for everyone, and a great game if you look past it's flaws Expand
  2. Jul 18, 2013
    ImageEpoch intends to bring a bit of fresh to the JRPG scene by making Toki Towa in full anime style, and they did it right imho. The characters' animations may be somewhat repetitive, the art style is charming and looks like nothing you've ever seen. It's clear that Toki and Towa are the main attraction of this, so it's more than ever a matter of opinion. The humor is particular also, very ludicrous similarly to what you can see in actual anime (the clear source of inspiration again), while heavily leaning towards ecchi (including the illustrations that come together). But in the result, it's super effective and I had awesome laughs quite a couple of times. Be careful though because I don't know how well it can be transcribed in English!

The first thing that falls into pieces pretty quickly is the gameplay. For starters, enemies of the same type do always the same actions in the same order. Consequently, you always attack them the same way, that is to say in the few openings they leave. Let's be absolutely clear about this, battles in Toki Towa are not repetitive, they're IDENTICAL. Skills are extremely unbalanced, since magic can OHKO most enemies and even 2HKO bosses up until the first half of the game. Physical attacks as well counter are then left unused because underpowered and imprecise. Time Magic is not really better the only useful one is the one that freezes your opponent. The others I still don't know what they are here for, except for the time-acceleration magic which is clearly here to kill you since you take damage anyway! If you add a not so engaging quest system and a insane surge in difficulty in the 3rd chapter, you realize that you need a great deal of patience to finish Toki Towa.

On the graphics side and independently from design which I've already talked about Toki Towa is again fairly modest and it's clear that the company has privileged an economical development. Dongeons aren't that varied and backgrounds are as empty as Moon landscape, whilst suffering from framerate drops and clipping on the top of things! NPCs aren't fully animated or even displayed on the field... In short, Toki Towa is kind of halfway between JRPG and visual novel.

It is therefore hard to recommend Toki Towa to regular JRPGs players. It is mostly destined to Japanese anime/games fans you are deep into ecchi design/visual novels. So if you've fallen in love with the art direction, Toki or Towa, you might try this out, but the risk of disillusionment remains high.
  3. Sep 17, 2013
    Ever since this game was announced I followed it and day after day my desire to play it became stronger. When it launched I was kinda shocked because of the bad reception. Most gamers and "specialized critic" (which I've decided to ignore for JRPGs) gave scores between 0 and 4. I had all the reasons to avoid this game but I bought it anyway. For my surprise I must say that I've really enjoyed this game and I don't know what is wrong with all the haters.

Yes, the game has a lot of problems. Character animations were developed in a way that they look unnatural. For instance, sometimes they have to finish a pose in the same position as the next one starts. That may look more realistic but at the same time it makes the character staying in a position that he didn't need to be. And in some moments they used poses that weren't fitting in the situation, like the main character smiling when talking serious to an enemy.

Some basic problems are still present, like the impossibility to pause the cutscenes. You can skip them after watching for the first time, but you can't pause. If you start watching them, be prepared to watch until the end without interruption. English voices are not synchronized with the animations, so you might get frustated. That may be one of two problems: the translation couldn't fit the timing or NIS America didn't do a good job.

You play the game with two characters that keep switching each time you level up or use an item. There's a small dragon helping you too, but you can't control him. The skill system and its evolution is cool, but has nothing special at all. The skills to control the flow of time are very interesting but they make the game easier.

The battles occur with random encounters. They are fun but kinda repetitive because enemies usually do the same actions in the same order. And they're not fast because sometimes you fight against many enemies in sequence and the transitions between them take an unnecessary time. Also, I didn't find a real challenge playing in normal mode and doing all the sidequests. Most battles are finished using magic because they do massive damage. I missed the balance of physical and magical skills. There’s also a special type of battle that occurs with giant bosses, but it's less fun than the standard battle.

There are loading screens when simpling choosing a place to go on the map but they don't last long. And the soundtrack is something that people should not complaint about: it's really awesome.

About the story, I can say it’s very interesting, entertaining and exciting. And when you almost reach the end, you’ll see an unexpected event regarding the main characters. That’s when I say that you must plug yourself into the game and forget about the outside world. You’ll feel like you’re part of it making tough decisions.

I'd give a much lower score if I were analysing as a technical reviewer. But I'm a gamer and I decided to give a score based on my entire experience with everything the game offered me. I felt the immersion in an anime world, I got involved with the story and the flaws weren't enough to pull me off. I think that's something most people need to do nowadays: turn on the "let it go" and relax playing.

You know what's funny? There's a lot of games considered masterpieces out there and they're full and full of problems. We accepted them as they are, so what has changed? Why people are so critic these days putting the mistakes above everything and being blind against the qualities?

Do you really like anime or cartoons? Do you love niche JRPGs? Are you tired of the same games and formulas that are released year after year? Do you want a new experience and immersion to break your gaming routine? Do you accept that this game has flaws that might not be taken too serious due to other things it can offer? Do you want to stimulate NIS America and Imageepoch to continue bringing new games and experiences with the genre? If so, Time and Eternity is the game for you.
  4. Jul 31, 2014
    I was curious about this game, the story sounded like it could have potential so I picked it up and good god I regretted it. It was supposed to be all hand drawn so I hoped for something that would be just gorgeous but apparently they meant only the characters were drawn and everything else was made on the PS1. When you FINALLY get to the playing part, your character looks like a paper pasted onto the background moving around. However, as I've said in previous reviews I don't base my entire liking of a game on how it looks. So.... here are the problems:

The worst part of the game though is infact and sadly, the story and the characters in it. There was hope for it, I tried to like it but I just couldn't.... I had high hopes for this and it was a huge let down. There's so much talking during the exposition most of which dosn't even matter or add to the story you just get tired of listening to them or reading what they're saying and you just want to skip through it all because it doesn't even matter in regards to what you need to do. There is TOO much exposition puked out at you as an attempt to try and get you involved or make the story original... which it is only barely. The spewed exposition vomit makes all of the following story-line feel choppy and uninspired which gives you little reason to continue on so by this point you're basically just annoyed with the game and probably feeling tormented since you've yet to play at all. (My fiancee only made it through 15 minutes before wanting to shoot himself). However, if you finally manage to get through the opening scene(s) the beginning is slow and pointless in relation to your overall quest. It tries to make sense of time but with how blatently obvious your character is about having gone back in time the other people in the world must be mentally retarded not to figure it out. In addition, the story seems to get rehashed and you get reminded constantly of your main goal (as if you don't know already, or maybe you're dumb too!).

The controls themselves aren't bad when you move around or fight but the music is generally obnoxious and in addition to the character voices you should basically play the game with everything muted. However there are still bugs in the controls like.... a pause button. This includes in cutscenes where the dialogue advances automatically whether you've read it or not. There is absolutely no reason for this since animations of the characters consists of a few awkward scenes repeated over and over. Also... skipping any line of dialogue will cause the characters to start flying across the screen, glitching in and out of different animations (crossing arms, legs, whatever) while you're stuck trying to remember where they were supposed to be placed. This sort of thing makes you wonder if the game was ever tested at all since it's an easy fix. The voices lack emotion and seem even a bit forced as they attempt to not be bland and uninteresting. The voice actors must have been horribly uninspired by the script as well, japanese and english alike because as far as the content of what is being said.... I'd rather listen to a group of stereotypical dumb-blonde valley girls....they're probably more interesting and possibly smarter. These people have also apparently never heard of lip synching (I read lips a bit so it's particularly annoying to me).

The side characters are annoying in all respects with how they treat your characters to how they speak/act in general (ex: calling Zack (main character) a scumbag for wanting to kiss his fiance before the wedding). The main characters are very unoriginal as the male Zack is your typical perverted, stupid, hot-blooded, wants-to-see-the-females-naked kind of guy and the two females Toki and Towa are also very stereotypical. Toki is the happy, positive hopeful girl and Towa is the tough angry girl.

The animation is choppy and irritating ESPECIALLY with how much talking seems to be involved with the game as they fidget around from one awkward position into the next and repeat such in an endless cycle of unnecessary ugly clunky-ness. A big draw to this game is the "HD animation" I'm sure as I had hoped it would look nice as well but it's a lie.... screen shots, being still might be fine but when you're actually moving or playing, like I said earlier, the PS1 had better quality in the actual animations and graphics of its games. The animations repetitive and unnecessary, choppy, derpy and distracting (thank god--I'd rather look at their awkward movements than listen to them talk FOREVER). The graphics are blurry and undetailed even on HD so it's kinda worthless in the 'pretty' department which was potentially the main draw.

Overall, there is absolutely no reason to get this game.... not to rent, not to borrow from someone, and not to buy. It's a complete travesty in gaming in all senses....every aspect is a mess and there are ZERO redeeming qualities
  5. Dec 26, 2013
    Okay, when yo start the game, you find flaws everywhere, character design, game play, quest, omg you can easily think often 'this game is poorly done'. However, for some reason i can;t stop playing it, it's bad, but that's good, I think the developers tried to focus more in their animated transitions or mix between movie/images, like a experiment. However, well, i don't know, I will play ti through the end, it's up to each person. Expand
  6. Aug 20, 2013
    Time and Eternity is an great game but may not be for everyone. It is very different than what isout there in the JRPG market. There are some flaws with the game but not enough to not play it. The story line is very interesting once you get into it. It is worth a try for anime or JRPG fans, so don’t hesitate on this title.
  7. Jun 27, 2014
    After playing the game for a long time, I decided to drop the game.

The game has many flaws that become apparent once you start playing. While everything seems new and with great ideas, it is poorly done. Enemies take way too long to beat and follow a certain pattern. By no means that makes the battle easy, as a slight recolored enemy means another pattern to discover.

Story is
    original and very well done, there's character growth and the animation in general is good. But, that's it. Maps are huge, but, you will never see either enemies on map or npc's. it's just the character "running" to some place. And here is where the game seems rather rushed, enganging battles should not take more than 5 minutes, or the game will feel rather bland.

Scenarios aren't that good, if there was some more interaction, it would be better. Music isn't good and there's no option for Japanese voices, plus, the lip sync wasn't done good enough, as some characters keep moving the lips but there's no sound.

Some characters follow the norm and are somewhat interesting, but, after a while, there's no motivation to continue playing, as events become foreseeable.

all in all, the game feels both rushed and lacking
  8. Apr 19, 2014
    I love JRPGs so I was able to get some fun out of it. The game has big issues and you spend most of your time doing sides quests rather than progressing on a simple story which doesn't go very far. The saving grace in the story is how funny it is. The areas keep repeating so the game starts to look really dull despite the cool anime style. I enjoyed the game some what at first but the game becomes tedious later on. It's an alright game but any more than a 6 I think is been too kind. Expand
  9. Nov 17, 2013
    When i started this game and in the first 2 minutes i realized this was a visual novel with some combat i said F*** YEAH!!! Now can anyone like this game. of course not. but a select few, yes. this is a special kind of game meant to appease a certain kind of audience. the kind of audience that love games like hyperdemsion Neptunia and cheap Japanese Visual Novels
  10. Aug 24, 2013
    I sincerely fail to get all the hate with this game. It's certainly not NEARLY as bad as everyone makes it out to be. It sure isn't great, but hey at least it tries out new things and takes more risks than I can count, which isn't something I can say for other JRPGs released this year (like "Tales of Xillia"). True, some of those risks don't pay off, but for the most part, "Time and Eternity" is a very enjoyable experience which should certainly be at least tried by all JRPG fans! Expand
  11. Jul 17, 2013
    So I bought this game without the highest hopes. Although most JRPG's aren't great games, they are usually quite entertaining. This game right here was atrocious. I tried to like it it, I really did but I just couldn't.
    The graphics look great, and that's probably the strongest point of the game. Although the animation in itself was jarring and felt awkward, especially when moving through
    an area, Toki/Towa's running animation was just terrible.

Another major letdown was the voiceovers, they seemed bland with no emotion. And the lip syncing was way off with the mouth visibly moving even though the voiceovers had finished. The gameplay itself was also very clunky and hard to use, pressing the dodge button didn't work more often then not, leaving it a gamble to try and dodge the attacks.

The story wasn't great, but I wasn't expecting some grand epic amazing story when I started the game.
    All in all I give this game a three, it's not broken and it works, and I think that's the only thing it has going for it right now, so if your reading this, buy it at your own risk.
  12. Jul 16, 2013
    Well, I thought this game will be REALLY big disappoint For some fans it is. But is it the worst thing? (see Mindjack) No! It's not! I will say one thing. Do you like japanese games? Do you enjoy it? Then, buy it! Now, later, but if you really into these games, you'll enjoy it. Haters, go home, you're drunk.
    PS. I like japanese games.
  13. Jul 16, 2013
    Time and Eternity is not a good game. It is not worth renting, borrowing from a friend, and most of all, it's not worth buying. Time and Eternity is an example of high ambitions and a complete and utter inability to follow through.

Let's start with the writing. T&E takes its character archetypes and dialogue from the very worst of any harem anime you'll see. Our "hero", Zack, is your
    typical perverted, stupid, hot-blooded protagonist who spends most of his time yelling about how much he wants to see the female cast naked. Shortly into the game he's forced into the body of the perverted animal mascot, and this becomes combined with a number of absurd slapstick animations. The heroines, Toki and Towa, are as bland an uninteresting as they get, with Toki being the plucky, hopeful standard heroine and Towa the tough, angry girl. The side characters range from one-dimensional jokes to what coming from any developer other than ImageEpoch I would assume to be satire. The story makes no attempt to be interesting even if the premise is just barely original, and the plot of the game quickly takes a back-seat to your harem's moe-moe antics.

The "HD animation", the main draw of the game for many people, is quite simply terrible. A screenshot or two will look good, as the images themselves aren't bad quality, but the animations are very poorly done, more resembling an eighth-grade Powerpoint presentation than any anime made in the last several years. Animations are repeated incessantly at rapid-speed; characters folding and unfolding their arms and crossing and uncrossing their legs as though they desperately need a toilet trip or a straightjacket wrapped around them. The animations are also choppy, and there is no attempt at lip-synching made here, with characters simply flapping their mouths endlessly to important lines of spoken dialogue like "Huh?" and "...".

The soundtrack has a few great tracks, such as the battle themes, but for the most part the music is downright annoying, giving the impression that Yuzo Koshiro simply couldn't be bothered anymore. The voice acting is outright bad; and I'm not even referring to NISA's dub of the game. Despite a great cast, the Japanese voice actors have delivered some of the most painfully uninspired and weak performances of their careers, and this isn't helped by the game's horrible, choppy presentation.

Now, the gameplay. If anyone played ImageEpoch's earlier Black Rock Shooter on the PSP, T&E's battle system should seem familiar. Much like BRS, you stand in place while enemies move towards you or attack from afar. You can shoot them, jump closer and use a knife, dodge, or guard attacks, and use special skills and items in battle. In BRS, the battles were fast, fluid, and responsive. In T&E however, battles are slow, clunky, tedious and suffer from frequent slowdown and frame drops. Controls are frequently unresponsive, either in your character continuing to shoot after letting go of the button, or not dodging when you hit it. These issues are made even worse by the lack of any kind of cancel function present in the time I played, leaving battles a frustrating mess when most enemies will begin and end an attack animation in the time it takes Towa or Toki to shoot a single bullet. Add onto this a cluttered, ugly battle user interface and every enemy wearing out its welcome with a great deal more HP than any mook has any right to have, and there is nothing enjoyable about the battles.

To top it off, the game is buggy, and lacks basic features, like a pause button. When in any cutscenes, dialogue advances automatically, and the game cannot be paused. There is no reason for this when the animation merely consists of a few stock scenes repeated over and over, but it's clearly too much for ImageEpoch to handle, as skipping any line of dialogue will cause the characters to start flying across the screen, glitching in and out of different animations while trying to remember where they were supposed to be placed. This is a feat easily achieved over and over with just a single skip, and it leaves one wondering if the game was ever tested at all.

In closing, there is simply nothing of value to be found anywhere in Time & Eternity. The game is a complete mess, in every aspect, and it's a wonder why NISA ever decided to inflict this travesty upon the west in the first place.
  14. Sep 3, 2013
    This game was pretty good though, I'm not lying saying that this game also have a lot of flaws, precisely in the repetitive actions of the characters -enemies or allies- the battles takes a lot of time (more than I want to spend on one fight), the monsters should be more taken seriously, the way that they're drawn, the way they act in battle (with repetition of course) I personally don't want to fight that kind of creature, it's just really childish and a waste of time. With all these flaws, I don't think I would like this game, these are all that I hate in a game, but, the storyline and the character's behaviour save all the game when you get into it. All along the game we just follow toki and towa and we really get attached to one of them or maybe both. I have to say for the first JRPG that is entirely anime- styled, it's pretty great. Expand
  15. Sep 16, 2013
    Time and Eternity? More like Rehash & Tea Parties the Video Game. I mean wow, literally everything is a recolor. The protagonist, the bosses, the enemies, the fields and EVEN the plot is rehashed constantly. Oh and there's too many Tea Parties

Oh and you would think "maybe the music might be good", nope, not even the amazing Yuzo Koshiro honestly gave a ****

Avoid this game unless
    you love bad games or just have really low standards. Expand
  16. Dec 28, 2013
    Time and Eternity's traditional art style is very pleasing to the eye, and even though it was used on a 3D plain, it always seemed to work. The real time rpg aspect was also fairly entertaining and kept a high sense of action throughout the gameplay. The plot is somewhat lack luster, and I wasn't very motivated to complete side quests. However, Toki and Towa are good characters with nice banter, and I did find myself wanting to save their wedding, and that is a very key piece of a game; wanting to see the conflict resolved. I would recommend who like real time rpgs. Expand

1. Nov 11, 2013
    Its story amounts to little more than misfired jokes about an obnoxious perv trying to look up as many skirts as possible.
  2. Looking at just some still images from the game, you would have to be blind, not to call it beautiful. However once you see it in motion, you realize that producing manga or anime is not the same as making a game. The lively animations do not match with the static backgrounds. [September p.86]
  3. Sep 19, 2013
    Time equals money, and Time and Eternity is not worth either.