Tokyo Jungle PlayStation 3

• Publisher: SCEA
  • Release Date: Sep 25, 2012
8.4

1. Sep 26, 2012
    Ah, the K.I.S.S. approach to gaming (Keep It Simple Stupid. Not the band). Will you be playing "Tokyo Jungle" an hour after the novelty of its post-apocalypse, "12 Monkeys" animal setting wears off? Probably not. Will you occasionally load it up to play dumb bouts with friends and whittle away a dull afternoon? Almost definitely. The rules are so basic (survive, collect points, eat things,Ah, the K.I.S.S. approach to gaming (Keep It Simple Stupid. Not the band). Will you be playing "Tokyo Jungle" an hour after the novelty of its post-apocalypse, "12 Monkeys" animal setting wears off? Probably not. Will you occasionally load it up to play dumb bouts with friends and whittle away a dull afternoon? Almost definitely. The rules are so basic (survive, collect points, eat things, dodge other things), it acts more like a complicated "Pac-man" table than a full game. There is little difference between animal types, only enough variation to barely justify new mission sets. Each time you gobble up enough points to unlock the next breed, you can't help but wonder how long you'll survive with a chicken, a tiger, a velociraptor. Then you start playing those creatures only to realize you are doing the same thing you were doing with the first animals. The novelty of this (excuse the pun) dog-eat-dog world will wear thin, and there's not much game to back it up. But... well, there's something so adorably 80s arcade about the whole thing, like a "Galaga" machine accidentally mated with a "Nintendogs" cartridge. It's not terribly engaging for more than an hour, but you'll probably play that hour about 50 times. A good ol' fashioned quarter eater, only now you just pay 10 bucks up front. "Tokyo Jungle" does not pretend to be any more than it is, and as a simple, stupid game it works like a charm. Expand
  2. Sep 25, 2012
    It's an OK game that you will ponder and embrace for only a little time. Interesting gameplay mechanics, nice "stoyline" for each animal but also containing embarrassingly dull and old graphics with strange controls and just plain weird story.
  3. Nov 23, 2012
    Tokyo Jungle is a niche title if there ever was one. its graphics are early PS2, the sound is early PS1, and I feel personally that its over priced. The controls are simple and easy and they suffice for what is required which is basic survival in a world devoid of humans. you hunt, kill, feed, breed, and survive as one of only two animals in the beginning but after you achieve a few goalsTokyo Jungle is a niche title if there ever was one. its graphics are early PS2, the sound is early PS1, and I feel personally that its over priced. The controls are simple and easy and they suffice for what is required which is basic survival in a world devoid of humans. you hunt, kill, feed, breed, and survive as one of only two animals in the beginning but after you achieve a few goals more animals unlock. Combat is simple just wiggle the right stick to dodge and press the square button to strike and the R1 button to bite (or kick if your playing as a herbivore) and of course if your a deer you can't survive a fight with a sabre tooth tiger (yeah I know you'll try, I did too). In the end, its highly addictive and the leaderboards add moderate reason to replay the survival mode plus there is ton of DLC available that adds to the roster and silly outfits for your animals that increase attributes. Its not my kind of game but I certainly can understand why some might enjoy it. overall its good in short bursts but won't keep you interested for more than an hour and I think its price should've been $9.99 (U.S.) but like I said, its not my kinda game. Expand
  4. Apr 9, 2014
    (TL;DR: Recommended if the concept appeals to you.) I usually finish main missions before I write a review, but Tokyo Jungle's campaign is locked behind a huge 'survival' map that you have to replay more than a dozen times to unlock every 'act'... short stories all set on the very same map. Granted, the map is huge (although linear) and the acts use locations well. So far, I've unlocked(TL;DR: Recommended if the concept appeals to you.) I usually finish main missions before I write a review, but Tokyo Jungle's campaign is locked behind a huge 'survival' map that you have to replay more than a dozen times to unlock every 'act'... short stories all set on the very same map. Granted, the map is huge (although linear) and the acts use locations well. So far, I've unlocked and played five 'acts', and the repetition of the map makes me doubt if I'll want to unlock the rest.

The also unlockable animals and costumes keep variation above tolerable, but apart from the distinction between herbivores and carnivores they play similarly. The game is more action-brawler than stealth. More roguelike than platformer, but it has elements from many genres mixed together. Overall, I think it's above average, especially if you've had enough of 'standard' action games.

It doesn't have online multiplayer. It doesn't have an epic atmosphere, which could have been achieved by a continuous campaign and a more interactive 'Tokyo'. But when it works, it plays like a (post)modern Japanese arcade game with many variables thrown into play, and that's what I recommend about it.

UPDATE: The campaign proved to be fairly varied, and the fourteen 'acts' did not bore me at any point. It got pretty epic too. It remains questionable whether even reaching the campaign is worth the repeated map. If the game's concept sounds awesome to you, it's recommended. If not, still a good game. Just not super compelling.
  5. May 11, 2014
    What can I say about Tokyo Jungle? It may not be a technical masterpiece with it's average-at-best graphics and choppy framerate and it sure as hell isn't a huge game in terms of scale with one reasonable sized map to play on - but what Tokyo Jungle succeeds at is re-playability. Each play-through of Survival mode will differ from the last, each playable animal differs from the last andWhat can I say about Tokyo Jungle? It may not be a technical masterpiece with it's average-at-best graphics and choppy framerate and it sure as hell isn't a huge game in terms of scale with one reasonable sized map to play on - but what Tokyo Jungle succeeds at is re-playability. Each play-through of Survival mode will differ from the last, each playable animal differs from the last and you're more than likely to experience something new every time you play. In addition, story mode acts as a nice diversion from the main events. All in all, it's far from a perfect game but Tokyo Jungle has the right balance of everything that makes a game of its kind good and will keep you coming back for more - again and again. Expand
  6. May 12, 2015

1. Nov 19, 2012
    Tokyo Jungle is a great idea taken down by a dull and repetitive gameplay that shows its limits just after a couple of hours.
  2. Official PlayStation Magazine Benelux
    Nov 12, 2012
    Ever played as a zebra roaming the post-apocalyptic streets of Tokyo? And if you have, did that zebra wear a hat? It did? Now you're just being a smartass. Tokyo Jungle might just be the most the original game of the year. And the most addictive. [November 2012, p.92]
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Nov 4, 2012
    Tokyo Jungle may feel more than bizarre but it's surprisingly playable – you can hardly find any other sandbox game where animals fight for survival in a post-apocalyptic environment. [Nov 2012]