6.9

1. May 23, 2012
    Wait until it hits the bargain bin, how can they have ruined this franchise? the ps3 port looks like a ps2 game ffs on my led tv the gunplay is not satisfying at all, poor quality all over the park here folks, i would wait until you can pick it up cheap dont waste your money its not worth the full retail price 6/10 from me
  2. May 2, 2013
    The game is not worth at full price. Not at all. The game is so frustrating to the point where i didn't want to play anymore. Stealth game? Action game? DECIDE DAMNIT. The game itself isn't that hard, but in the stealth sections, if you raise alarm, you'll probably restart from the last checkpoint, but to do that, you must go through a loading screen, and they are SO, DAMN, LONG. GraphicsThe game is not worth at full price. Not at all. The game is so frustrating to the point where i didn't want to play anymore. Stealth game? Action game? DECIDE DAMNIT. The game itself isn't that hard, but in the stealth sections, if you raise alarm, you'll probably restart from the last checkpoint, but to do that, you must go through a loading screen, and they are SO, DAMN, LONG. Graphics are pretty washed out and bland, especially the cutscenes which looks even WORSE than the actual game. Story... is pretty boring... Here's a secret base, kill some dudes, rescue this guy, rinse and repeat. This game had potential, but it shouldn't have included action gameplay. Take "Mark of the Ninja" for example, that game is near perfect for me, and that's because it was focused on stealth, nothing else. This game is just another modern "realistic" third person shooter with nothing new to it, other than some "gadgets". Don't play this, please. The only thing preventing this from being any worse is the fact that it actually works, and it is fun at few points. Expand
  3. Sep 24, 2013
    These Ghosts will haunt your dreams. Let's get this over with, there is very little to no stealth element in this game, you will sneak onto a level with your stealth camo and pick off the first couple of enemies with the sync shot. Cool. Then a short while later in almost every level you're forced to go 'guns hot' and eliminate everyone in a shooting gallery-esque segment much like COD. SoThese Ghosts will haunt your dreams. Let's get this over with, there is very little to no stealth element in this game, you will sneak onto a level with your stealth camo and pick off the first couple of enemies with the sync shot. Cool. Then a short while later in almost every level you're forced to go 'guns hot' and eliminate everyone in a shooting gallery-esque segment much like COD. So much for the name 'Ghosts'. It feels to me that Ubisoft/whoever didn't believe this game would sell as a tactical shooter so they turned it into yet another COD clone with a few toys (camo) that quickly become redundant as time and time again you're somehow compromised and have to blast your way out of situations. Sorely disappointed as I imagined this game as 4 Sam Fishers in urban environments. The level design is particularly poor, no freedom, no room to think outside the box and attempt to flank and, even though still cloaked, somehow I discovered by an invisible enemy. Just progress from cover to cover in a straight line killing the shooting gallery soldiers and you'll be fine. Oh and the graphics? Like a polished turd once you see evreything up close

Sad stuff Ubisoft. This unpolished game was put on the streets like an unwanted child with the hope that a few dollars might stick to it. Just as well I got it for £5 on eBay.
  4. Jul 17, 2012
    Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is a mixed bag. I wanted to enjoy it, but a game can only come so far. The story centers around a team of ghost looking for the people who killed another team of ghost. It would have been a nice story if it didn't go straight for the "Russian terrorist have a nuke" cliche. Then the story just ends with no sense of payoff after an already lengthy andTom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is a mixed bag. I wanted to enjoy it, but a game can only come so far. The story centers around a team of ghost looking for the people who killed another team of ghost. It would have been a nice story if it didn't go straight for the "Russian terrorist have a nuke" cliche. Then the story just ends with no sense of payoff after an already lengthy and frustrating last mission. The gameplay is probably the reason you should maybe invest in this game. The team focused co-op will make a great time with friends or if you don't have friends, your AI teammates will be okay. The competitive multiplayer is serviceable a few game modes and unlocks. The graphics look out-dated and there is not much spectacle in the environments. All together Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Future Soldier is tough to recommend. If you enjoy team based third person shooters, then go ahead and give it a shot. But the rest of us can wait until a better game comes.
  5. Nov 28, 2012
    Oh lord, this is just Call of Duty with more bullet damage. I thought there'd be some kinda strategy this time around. But there's the same old tricks: spawn camping, dolphin diving, strafe shooting --irony is that Call of Duty might have more strategy. Tom Clancy games RIP.
  6. May 24, 2012
    Multiplayer is fun imo. Not Ghost Recon though. Graphics REALLY need work, like wtf. Multiplayer is also slightly convoluted. This was a multiplayer review, I'll play the campaign some other time.
  7. May 23, 2012
    Ghost Recon Future Soldier is not that great. The graphics are terrible and looks like an outdated PS3 game or even a PS2 HD remake game...especially the facial animations. The character animations are poor. The lighting effects and textures are hideous. There is no environmental detail. The sound effects are not good. The physics and AI is absolutely awful. This game needed a newGhost Recon Future Soldier is not that great. The graphics are terrible and looks like an outdated PS3 game or even a PS2 HD remake game...especially the facial animations. The character animations are poor. The lighting effects and textures are hideous. There is no environmental detail. The sound effects are not good. The physics and AI is absolutely awful. This game needed a new graphics engine. The story was poorly written and very lame. The acting was horrible. The character development was very bad. I felt no emotions for these characters. The communication between characters was poorly written. I did not like switching back and forth between third and first person. The controls were ok, but not the greatest setup. The multiplayer is not that great with server lag. Pros: Gadgets, sync shots, futuristic weapons, few fun action sequences. I would recommend buying this when it goes on sale. Not worth the 60 bucks IMO. Battlefield 3 and Max Payne 3 are much better games than this. Expand
  8. Jun 3, 2012
    Fun but brief campaign of twelve linear but replayable missions. Replayable because of how gun customization affects your approach to situations and how challenges incentivize due to additional...challenge. Graphics are ugly and look like a cross between a PS3 launch title and a PS2 HD remake. Performance is fine, though, as the game runs at a stable 30FPS. I have not encountered anyFun but brief campaign of twelve linear but replayable missions. Replayable because of how gun customization affects your approach to situations and how challenges incentivize due to additional...challenge. Graphics are ugly and look like a cross between a PS3 launch title and a PS2 HD remake. Performance is fine, though, as the game runs at a stable 30FPS. I have not encountered any debilitating slowdowns. Multiplayer is the meat of this game. Maps are well designed but mostly consist of cramped corridors with a few high vantage points. Very few open areas all in all. Surprisingly enough, this complements the games alternating objective play well which is very similar to Killzone 2 and 3. The classes feel well balanced in general with the exception of the engineer. Situational awareness is a huge factor of success in this game that having almost all the engineers abilities revolve around this play style seems strange. Every team needs at least one to win, and while having too many will have the opposite effect, it's incredibly easy to rack up experience thanks to the game awarding more points for spotting enemies than actually killing them yourself. The game modes are many and varied, the most interesting of which being Decoy. In Decoy, three objectives appear on the map, but only one is the real objective. Neither team knows which objective is real and which is fake. It makes things interesting and unpredictable as teams try to feel things out and react accordingly. One of my few complaints is that the game's unlock system revolves around tokens which you must spend to access cosmetic and more utilitarian upgrades for weapons and equipment. Tokens are the only way you have access to improved optics which are always more accurate than firing from the hip, even when zoomed in or when behind cover. I sincerely hope this game retains a large player base for multiplayer because it deserves it. Expand
  9. May 30, 2012
    Hm, well this is interesting. I'm torn between my respect for the previous Ghost Recon titles ( Which Future Soldier all but desecrated ) and the thrilling, if unevenly paced, action of this new injection to the franchise. Let's toss it up, shall we? Is this game in any way the master class some naive minded journalists had been hoping for? Ha is it f***, but it is enjoyable. It's a littleHm, well this is interesting. I'm torn between my respect for the previous Ghost Recon titles ( Which Future Soldier all but desecrated ) and the thrilling, if unevenly paced, action of this new injection to the franchise. Let's toss it up, shall we? Is this game in any way the master class some naive minded journalists had been hoping for? Ha is it f***, but it is enjoyable. It's a little isolated from the days of Advanced Warfighter, and is not nearly as enjoyable, but it has it's own charm. The multiplayer stands out for being able to remain balanced even after you throw invisibility cloaks at games and expect them to not abuse their camping rights, small miracles and all that. The experience and ranking system is a bit odd, particularly the way how it rewards you more experience for planting a camera next to a target than a kill from cover. There's something to be said about the campaign and the voice work, Blum seems to be in everything these days but I'm not complaining, but the overall impact of the single player doesn't stand up in comparison to Advanced Warfighter. But let's forget about AW for a second, and just concentrate on what we've got here. A solid third person title with a balanced set of online components and a campaign which is better than any of the two Gears of War sequels. I'd say that's worth a rent, don't you? Expand
  10. Jun 6, 2014
    I've just replayed the whole campaign again, and decided to rewrite my review and raise the score from 4 to 7, even though I think it deserves at least an 8. Being a big fan of tactical shooters, my expectations were quite high and was very excited to try it. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the lack of tactics compared to previous Ghost Recon games. In addition, it was the third timeI've just replayed the whole campaign again, and decided to rewrite my review and raise the score from 4 to 7, even though I think it deserves at least an 8. Being a big fan of tactical shooters, my expectations were quite high and was very excited to try it. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the lack of tactics compared to previous Ghost Recon games. In addition, it was the third time that such a thing happened with Ubisoft, so I was a frustrated by them constantly dumbing down games from the Clancy's franchise. My first low score was based on all this.

Now for my second run, I realized how much work has been put in this game. The story is as dull and cliché as other Clancy's games, but for me it fits perfectly for this kind of techno-war-spy games. Many people complained about the low quality of graphics on PS3, which is true, but it really didn't bother me at all, as I really liked the various landscapes on where the missions occur. It was good to fight in the autumn forest of Caucasus or in downtown Moscow during a riot, for instance. It changes from the common middle east desert theaters of operation. Also, there's a lot of nuance, contrast and richness in colors that in my POV counter balance the low resolution. There's a lot of details, soldiers and people hanging around, panicking, shouting, etc. One thing that stroke me only on a my second campaign was how immersive FS is.

Still, there is one thing this game is lacking (and still angry about this) is the ability to give orders to teammates and apply real military tactics like Fire (suppression) , Fixed (the enemy), Flanked (their position) and Finished (by eliminating them).The only order you can give to your teammates is to point out a target - i.e. the famous Mark & Execute so cherished by Ubisoft. In the end, you feel that you're just playing yet another regular shooter.

Another weakness are the clumsy controls: I'm a bit tired of games showing cursors where you can bend down in cover, and always pushing buttons for each and single action like hiding in cover, sprinting to next cover, jumping over obstacles, etc.

It's very strong point though, is a good balance between infiltration and assault missions. In fact, playing the infiltration missions feels like doing a four teammates Splinter Cell mission!

The part below was a little experience that I made on my first campaign, that I decided to keep in this new review, as I still considered an unacceptable gameplay design. It demonstrates how unimportant your decisions or gaming style are on some missions, and why Future Soldier do not deserve a higher score than 7, despite it's great qualities:

Your teammates will play on their own to the point where I decided to do a little experience on the Pakistan mission (veteran difficulty level). In this mission you are caught in middle of heavy fire in the streets of Peshawar, full of cars and civilians. I hid my character behind a car and wait. After a while, my AI teammates cleared the place. So I advanced 20 meters further and again, hid behind a car and wait. Same thing, teammates killed all enemies on sight. So I could continued my little manege until I reached my destination where, guess what, I could complete the main objective!!

What a HUGE disappointment to see that my teammates didn't need me AT ALL . I didn't shoot a single shot nor I gave them ANY order. What's funnier is that I even let an enemy soldier come just behind my back, shooting at me. When I thought I was finally going to die, one of my teammates killed the soldier and healed me!

If you're looking for a true tactical shooter, this title will probably not fulfilled your expectations.
  11. Jul 4, 2012
    Bought it..... played it....... got bored within 1 hour... put it back in the box...... never opened it agian...

Sorry to say its multiplayer is not at the same level as BF3, in fact its not even close... apart from its single player game to the hardcore fans it does not offer anything thats worth getting exited about..
  12. Jun 24, 2012
    Amazing game play, but i was honestly expecting more gfx wise from Ubisoft. Connection and voice chat issues on ps3 servers for sure are a annoying problem right now. Once Ubisoft patches the voice chat issue I'll bump my rating up for sure.
  13. Jul 19, 2012
    This is a game that I was really looking forward to, and it let me down in a lot of ways. Firstly, the gameplay is a little rough around the edges. Numerous times I would get stuck behind cover, leading to a frustratingly unnecessary death. Secondly, the story is non-existent. It's run of the mill shooter fare. And last but not least - the ending is garbage. Why, you might ask? There isn'tThis is a game that I was really looking forward to, and it let me down in a lot of ways. Firstly, the gameplay is a little rough around the edges. Numerous times I would get stuck behind cover, leading to a frustratingly unnecessary death. Secondly, the story is non-existent. It's run of the mill shooter fare. And last but not least - the ending is garbage. Why, you might ask? There isn't an ending. Basically.

And I'm not in to multiplayer, so I didn't try it out. It doesn't reflect my score in any way.
  14. Apr 20, 2013
    The game is a pretty fun third person war shooter. You need to play it on elite to get any kind of a challenge. The sound is great and the gameplay is fine. The game is pretty short so I would not buy this for anything over $20.

With that said the story is a joke and the cut scenes are terrible. The on going beer theme is ridiculous. The game has was developed with terrible resolution. So playing on your 1080p tv will break your heart. But the game was fun for the 8hrs. of game play.
  15. Mar 29, 2013
    This brief overview is catered to those who have enjoyed the previous Ghost Recon games (as well as the Rainbow Six series). I have played every GR game ever made on consoles since they were released on the original Xbox. With this foundation of GR history, I can accurately say that Ghost Recon Future Soldier is a step in the wrong direction for the franchise. The developers decided on aThis brief overview is catered to those who have enjoyed the previous Ghost Recon games (as well as the Rainbow Six series). I have played every GR game ever made on consoles since they were released on the original Xbox. With this foundation of GR history, I can accurately say that Ghost Recon Future Soldier is a step in the wrong direction for the franchise. The developers decided on a more "fast-paced" style of gameplay, as opposed to the more tradition "slow and cautious" style. They achieved this with a slick new cover movement system and regenerating health, among other things. While a neat idea, the way they carried out these changes ruined the realism of the GR experience. Getting shot in previous GRs was a big deal, and could potentially end your mission. In this game you are practically a tank. I found myself able to just charge the enemy and pepper them with gunfire to get through tough situations. Another tweak is the lack of squad commands. I miss the days when tactical shooters were actually tactical. You no longer have full control over your squad; the commands have been essentially stripped down to only include the new "synch shot" command. It does take some thought to tell my squad who to target and when to shoot, it hardly compares to the old days of flanking, suppressing, and blindsiding the enemy. While the friendly A.I. are highly intelligent and will perform well during engagements (i.e. use cover and get into decent positions), the lack of commands results in almost no tactical element in the game.
    The multiplayer is alright, but once again the unrealistic health makes the game feel catered to a run-and-gun style of play. These are the major changes that affect the game, and I should note that there are many other details (gun customization, the new suppression camera, level design, very frequent cutscenes) that both add to and subtract from the GR authenticity. This it what it boils down to: If you are a GR veteran, I would recommend renting before buying, or wait until it's $20. However don't expect the classic GR experience. And make sure you have plenty of snacks, because the frequent cutscenes that occur in the middle of missions are loooong, and you can't skip those sob's.
  16. May 28, 2013
    This wasn't the Ghost Recon game I (we) were waiting for, but it's really fun, especially if you're playing with friends in the co-op campaign! The MP is fun as well! Just wish all the stuff we say in the first gameplay preview was in the final product, but I'm happy with what I have.
  17. Jul 17, 2012

1. Jul 9, 2012
    A fun and extremely tactical shooter with teammates that actually aren't idiots…. or that is mostly the case. We can't shake the feeling that the game isn't completely "finished", but that doesn't keep us from giving Ghost Recon: Future Soldier a strong recommendation.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Jul 3, 2012
    When the dust from the dirty bomb settles, Ghost Recon: Future Soldier looks noticeably grimy and raw in a few spots, but its mission has still been achieved. The visuals can be iffy, but the feeling of being an elite soldier of the future has been faithfully rendered in other ways. The pace is fast, the gadgets are empowering, and your job can shift from shrewd predator puzzles, to battles of attrition fought on a knife's edge. [July 2012 p.72]
  3. Play UK
    Jun 17, 2012
    Provides a decent distraction for a brain that doesn't want to be pressured into thinking at all. [Issue#219, p.73]