Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Mar 9, 2013
    As a die-hard Uncharted fan I can easily say that this game is a game to be reckoned with and to boast about. Crystal Dynamics has done a great job in terms of storytelling and especially gameplay, with the bow and arrow being a pleasure to use. It's Naughty Dog's turn now, hopefully if they release Uncharted 4 they will have the Tomb Raider standard to have to top.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tombThis is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tomb raider 2. lol. Don't let this one pass you by!!!! Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2013
    I went into this hesitant, mainly because I wanted to see would Crystal Dynamics butcher this franchise, and they haven't! I've enjoyed this game tremendously and cannot wait to see where this series' future will head towards.But for those of you who wish to know why this is a beautiful, well-crafted game, I have compiled sections of mini reviews on each aspect of the game down below.I went into this hesitant, mainly because I wanted to see would Crystal Dynamics butcher this franchise, and they haven't! I've enjoyed this game tremendously and cannot wait to see where this series' future will head towards.But for those of you who wish to know why this is a beautiful, well-crafted game, I have compiled sections of mini reviews on each aspect of the game down below.

Gameplay: 8/10

This is where this game really hits it home.Lara begins her journey into survivor-hood with a basic bow and a couple of arrows, but over the course of the game she gets everything from a tactical pistol to a grenade launcher.These weapons can be upgraded giving the bow such things as napalm arrows, (Which do a nasty amount of damage!) but the upgrades come with a cost."Salvage" is your upgrading currency and can be found throughout the island, make sure to scavenge as much as this as you can, because you'll need it! Skill points play a major part in "upgrading Lara" as they allow her to gain cool new moves from the "Brawler" category of skills.These upgrades are done through means of attaining a set amount of xp from completing challenges, killing enemies and so on. Other neat additions to the gameplay is the climbing axe which allows you to traverse high cliffs, and the puzzles,(Albeit mediocre) found all over the island's secret tombs.The gameplay would've gotten a 10/10 from me but the inclusion of Quick-Time Events prevents that, they cause cheap deaths and really added nothing to the game, only detracted from it.

Story:7.5/10

For Crystal Dynamics to make Lara a compelling personality and true survivor, they needed an equally compelling story and true experience of a survivor. The trapping of Lara an her friends on an island in the Dragon's Triangle provides just that. Lara really feels like a human in this, when confronted in different situations such as saying sorry to the first deer she's killed to feeling full of sorrow after murdering another person. Seeing Lara undergo the change of an innocent woman, to a dual-wielding badass was truly amazing, although the pacing was quite quick.The motive pushing Lara on, is to rescue her friends from the ever mysterious Mathias and his following of cronies, and to escape from the island engulfed in madness.Lara is without a doubt, the most fleshed out character in the story and apart from Mathias, her best-friend Sam, and father-like figure to Lara, Roth, the supporting characters are essentially a bunch of stereotypes. This is definitely a game that does better in gameplay over story in my opinion.

Graphics:8/10

While the graphics aren't up to par with the console's best this gen "Uncharted 3", they're certainly very pretty. There was also no framerate issues with the game for me, which I was surprised with. The island provides elegant scenery with everything from the smallest plant, to the grand snowy cliffs, are done to a high detail. Graphics are usually a bonus to me anyway,they don't make a game in my opinion. So if you are one who favours nice graphics, you might want to give this game a try.

Sound: 9/10

Jason Graves certainly composed an excellent soundtrack for this game, and captures the emotions of each scene perfectly, but I felt no track in particular stood out. Each arrow fired, to the howling of wolves are all very crisp and sound life-like. All of this makes for a brilliant and immersive experience in my opinion.

Overall: 8/10

Solid campaign, unique gameplay, enough story to keep you enthralled in the game, the score is well done, but where the game really loses credit is the multiplayer. I admit that it is fun to an extent,incredibly inspired by the Uncharted series' multiplayer, but it feels lacklustre.I feel as if the game could've done just fine without it. but hey, I guess it adds some value to it! Amazing experience for me and I'd recommend it to anyone with a thirst for adventure.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    After years of poor tomb raider games a reboot was well needed. The new gameplay is fun as you can either choose to sneak around killing everyone or go in all guns blazing. The story is interesting and the exploration is fun. The multiplayer is this games only let down but im not going to let it affect my score as any true fan knows tomb raider is a single player game!
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    Lara Croft is back and the best she's ever been! Since Tomb Raider: Underworld's release, Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work putting together this origin story, and it definitely pays off. An unbelievably unique game in many ways. It is true that some inspiration is taken from modern titles like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, if it hadn't the outcome may well have been aLara Croft is back and the best she's ever been! Since Tomb Raider: Underworld's release, Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work putting together this origin story, and it definitely pays off. An unbelievably unique game in many ways. It is true that some inspiration is taken from modern titles like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, if it hadn't the outcome may well have been a completely different game. I believe Naughty Dog's series gave Tomb Raider the boost it needed to evolve for more mature audiences. The script is brilliantly written by talented Rihanna Pratchett, already having worked on female-driven action games. The gameplay is tense, adrenaline-fuelled action and adventure, with a lot of exploration opportunities. The most important feat Crystal Dynamics has accomplished is that they have created an entirely new, 3-Dimensional Lara Croft who is so much more human. I have yet to complete the game and I must say I am nowhere near disappointed in any way. The over system is unique in such a way that I expect other games to adapt this revolutionary technique in future titles. An absolute must-have! Even if you were not a Tomb Raider fan previously, now is the time to get in on the action.
    NOTE: Having now completed the game, I deducted a point based purely on the multiplayer. Although at times fun, it shows just how rushed and un-evolved it is. The single player may well have been improved with a longer duration.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    Just finished the game. One of the best games this gen. If you love Uncharted you'll love this game. The story was cool, the graphics were top notch for a multi platform game. And the setting and set pieces were stunning. I love those asian set pieces like Uncharted 2 also did. Great work Crystal Dynamics keep 'em coming.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The coverTomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The cover system itself is innovative, eliminating the chunkiness of taking cover that plagues most third person shooters. Instead, Lara blends with environments with ease. The new Lara is a huge improvement over the past iterations. The story is also stronger than the past games which gives us incentive to care about the characters. All in all, an amazing game. It's no wonder that, after 9 games, Lara is considered an icon. She is a legend. Enough said. Expand
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends.
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    As Tomb Raider was one of the first PS Games I've played in my life, I was really excited for this game, and the result didn't disapoint. Crystal Dinamics made a game that is as fun as addictive, and an epic new beginning for a saga that promises. Tomb Raider is exceptionally great.
    The story introduces us to an innocent Lara and his crew, looking for the lost kingdom of Yamatai. But as an awful storm sweeps them away to an unknown island, Lara must learn to survive as she is separated from his crew by some cruel inhabitants. The story, though it doesn't seem much of a Tomb Raider game, it's one of the best of the whole Tomb Raider saga, 96' and on. Lara's transformation from an innocent explorer to a survivor is incredible, though sometimes rushed. The relation between Gameplay and Story is not sublime. One time, Lara is hardly trying to open a deer's stomach. One second later, she is killing everything she finds. But such a small detail does not make the story a pain in the butt. Lara will discover the island's past throughout the game and it will catch us into the story as it gets more and more attractive (And more Croft) near the fantabulous ending, whose epicness is hard to describe. The game, also has some characters moments, but the lack of character development make us feel nothing for them. Let's put it this way: Someone dies, but as no background story or large talks with that character were introduced in the game, we hardly feel as Lara does. We just know she is sad, end of the story.
    One thing I have to praise to the game is the fantastic combat system. The problem with all the Tomb Raider games is that the gameplay is wonky, and sort of falls flat. But Tomb Raider enhances in a smooth way, with one of the best cover systems a video game could only wish for. The two signature guns from the previous games has changed for the 21st century most hyped weapon, The Bow. And Boy, is it good! Almost all guns are good here. And by collecting different things we will get two types of points: XP Points and Savage points. The last one is useful to upgrade our guns, and make them more lethal, silent or a chaos machine. The XP points are also important, as we can unlock different Finishes (Some kind of Fatalities) we can practice on our enemies, or even help us find the tons of collectibles that are hidden everywhere in the game. There are so many, that trying to complete the game a 100% without knowing anything will probably take a normal person around 30 hours of gameplay. There are also Optional Tombs filled with medium-difficulty puzzles that are extremely rewarding, but the greatest thing about the game is the "Uncharted" style Summer Blockbuster playable scenes where we have to avoid being crushed by a plain or escape an exploding bridge. The "Booms" and "Pows" of Tomb Raider really make it special.
    Now, one thing they could have copied from the successful Uncharted saga is the multiplayer, which is a little bit disappointing, but still is fun. This is mainly because of clunky servers and low resolution textures, because the map design is great and full of incredible ideas, though poorly executed. The "trap system", for example, seems more to be on your con side than on your favour. But...I don't care! Tomb Raider is not COD,...by that, I mean you don't buy it for the multiplayer. You buy it for the action-packed, exciting, epic and nerve-wracking campaign that lacks of replayability (At least you really like collectibles) but provides hours of fun the fans of the world's sexiest archaeologist needed. Tomb Raider is a 9.3, but as I don't have the authority to put that score, I will award it with a solid 9.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    This is the perfect game for the end of this generation of video games. Tomb Raider is beautifully made, has great storyline and characters and it is a extremely fun game, from beginning to end. But the real point here is Lara Croft. She is more human than ever and also very charismatic. It's a pleasure to play with a female character that is clever and straight, and is not just a "sexyThis is the perfect game for the end of this generation of video games. Tomb Raider is beautifully made, has great storyline and characters and it is a extremely fun game, from beginning to end. But the real point here is Lara Croft. She is more human than ever and also very charismatic. It's a pleasure to play with a female character that is clever and straight, and is not just a "sexy chic". Definitely is a better character than Nathan Drake from Uncharted and, of course, she is an icon. Just three words: BEST-GAME-EVER. Expand
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you,I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you, I love the Uncharted series, but especially when it comes to combat, namely gunplay, this game ANNIHILATES it. This is partially because of the new cover mechanic, and partially because an M rating gives developers more freedom to accurately depict violence. The puzzles are great, as long as you ignore the giveaway hint system, and figure them out on your own. The pacing has adrenaline at a constant high, and have a surprising amount of variation. Story is great, as long as your not easily turned off by a slightly cheesy supporting character or two. All in all, this is the first adventure game that has truly felt like an adventure worth taking. This game game certainly holds the adventure game throne, at least until The Last of Us comes out. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    This series actually needed reboot, waited in patience and it gets it in a right way, fixing weak aspects of previous games with alive character, interesting story-driven adventure, good combat system. This is a great game which asks you for 2 things only: try it at least for 3 hours and deal with showstopper QTEs (actually, only cinematic-fighting type of them is really annoying, but theyThis series actually needed reboot, waited in patience and it gets it in a right way, fixing weak aspects of previous games with alive character, interesting story-driven adventure, good combat system. This is a great game which asks you for 2 things only: try it at least for 3 hours and deal with showstopper QTEs (actually, only cinematic-fighting type of them is really annoying, but they are not so frequent). Rare puzzles also too easy, but gameplay flow is so nice and joyfully unstoppable so you don't really mention it and keep playing like in childhood till the very end. Expand
  13. Mar 15, 2013
    This is not exactly tomb raider. It feels like Far Cry 3 or Uncharted. Nevertheless, the game is beautifully made, the story is decent, lot of fun fights and not a single glitch. Just do not expect a die-hard tomb raider and you will enjoy the game a lot.
    However, there are parts that are really a let down lot of cinematic action. Often it feels like being back to the laser disk game era. Freedom to move, but not real freedom of action. Useless button smashing action to open chest as well as useless RPG-like elements.
  14. May 21, 2013
    One of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow andOne of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow and arrows was great fun). As an Uncharted fan, I was impressed with the gorgeous majestic cinematic sequences, they were exciting and one scene near the end to me topped Uncharted, and I'm an Uncharted fan to boot. The single drawback to me was the multiplayer, it's just not as fun. I would have preferred if they had a longer single solo playthrough instead of the weak multiplayer. Highly recommended, and keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel! More of the excellent new Lara Croft, please. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    Yes it borrows heavily from the mechanics of Uncharted, but it also makes it frankly better and refreshing next to Nathan Drakes arsenal. All the tools Lara has by the end really make you feel like a badass and able to take on anything, but in fun and interesting new ways. I have nothing bad to say about the game other than normal gaming issues and bugs. Also the water is extremelyYes it borrows heavily from the mechanics of Uncharted, but it also makes it frankly better and refreshing next to Nathan Drakes arsenal. All the tools Lara has by the end really make you feel like a badass and able to take on anything, but in fun and interesting new ways. I have nothing bad to say about the game other than normal gaming issues and bugs. Also the water is extremely pixelated. It's weird. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    This is a great reboot for the Tomb Raider Franchise. I rate it a high 8. Everything in the game is well done. The island is very atmospheric with its awesome weather effects. The controls are solid. Tomb raider takes pretty much something from every triple A franchise before it and implements it into its own design just as well as those franchises did. There's stealth elements thatThis is a great reboot for the Tomb Raider Franchise. I rate it a high 8. Everything in the game is well done. The island is very atmospheric with its awesome weather effects. The controls are solid. Tomb raider takes pretty much something from every triple A franchise before it and implements it into its own design just as well as those franchises did. There's stealth elements that feel like your playing a Splinter Cell game, combat and climbing that feels like Uncharted, bonfires from Dark Souls, brutal kills from Gears of War, etc. Everything is incorporated brilliantly while allowing Tomb Raider to still feel like its own game. The game starts off like the typical action adventure that you have played countless other times, but as you progress further and further into the game, the adventure starts opening up and throwing more variety and twists and turns at you. The game gets better and better as you move further into the adventure. An interesting note to make is that in relation to previous Tomb Raider games, this one is a lot more combat/action oriented than puzzle solving. This helps keep the games pace up, but old fans might be disappointed. The tombs are nowhere as cool as Uncharted's, but still a nice break from all the action. Also, finding the collectibles in the game adds a nice bit of challenge and reward for exploration. The reason, it doesn't get a 9 from me is that it never really does anything totally new or had me saying holy that was awesome! For every cool moment, there usually would be countless annoying deaths that followed which would mess up the feeling of excitement. And that's another big con for the game, there will be parts in this game that will piss the out of you, you will want to hurl your controller at the screen. The game starts off relatively easy to moderately easy but near the end gets annoyingly difficult and sometimes it's difficult to tell where to go or Lara just won't do what you want her to do. But overall, it's a huge accomplishment that the game is able to implement so many different features into its design so well for the first time and I'm looking forward to see what Crystal Dynamics can do with the next game. Expand
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb raider is one of the best game had ever play.The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. I wish a sequel and DLC
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far.Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far. The multiplayer is pretty good and it will get better. They have a lot behind this so they will fix it and it will be loved by most. Either way its a game worth checking out. I'm a happy guy! Expand
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    [Disclaimer: I haven't played the entire game so my review is partly based on actual gameplay and the rest is what I've already read.] Wow. The visuals so far are amazing. It does exceed Uncharted that way, also in the openness of the levels and the natural feel to the platforming and combat. I can tell I'm going to be playing this for a while. I haven't played MP at all, I also don't[Disclaimer: I haven't played the entire game so my review is partly based on actual gameplay and the rest is what I've already read.] Wow. The visuals so far are amazing. It does exceed Uncharted that way, also in the openness of the levels and the natural feel to the platforming and combat. I can tell I'm going to be playing this for a while. I haven't played MP at all, I also don't like that there are MP Trophies required for platinum. If it wasn't for that I'm sure I would Platinum this to explore every nook on the island. The leveling up of the character makes sense, I've read it seems like your a bit powerful at the end. This is a must play for 2013. Might be in the top 3-5 to finish this console cycle. Expand
  20. May 30, 2013
    Great from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one ofGreat from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one of those near perfect games. Expand
  21. Mar 9, 2013
    wow, what an awesome game. the pace is non stop rush. i loved the design because it is made to have fun with also. this tomb raider is different, but none the less great. laura grew on you and she became s likable believable character. it is obvious that the guys who made this tried to make a great game. my opinion is they did. thanks for an awesome game. visually this work waswow, what an awesome game. the pace is non stop rush. i loved the design because it is made to have fun with also. this tomb raider is different, but none the less great. laura grew on you and she became s likable believable character. it is obvious that the guys who made this tried to make a great game. my opinion is they did. thanks for an awesome game. visually this work was perfect. story was great. game design was player friendly. there weren't the excessive amounts of punishing restarts like the old ones if you made a mistake. this game gets my coveted 10. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    Great game. Beautiful and awesome environments and I love the exploration aspect of the game. Its among the best action/adventure games on the PS3 but this game is a little more open world while also keeping you engaged and right in the action. Plus the score is amazing, such beautiful music.
  23. ERB
    Nov 1, 2013
    What an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darnWhat an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darn good.Okay those are some of the good parts and here are the parts that are missing in this game.First of all after finishing the whole game there will be no more enemies to kill.I wish the enemies here are not limited.Second its almost not like a survival game because after she eats one deer there you go you don't need to eat anymore.Sometimes a video game character needs to eat more food.Finally the last one the most important one....there is no more Croft Manor!With the kind of graphics the game has it will be awesome if the manor is in this game.Well anyway this game is good.So for all of you Tomb Raider fans out there you must buy this game and play it. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are someTomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are some annoying quick-time events. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    This new Tomb raider is dirty, beautiful and shocking and Lara really shines in this game!
    Set pieces will make you're jaw drop and keep you at the edge of your seat the whole time!
    Game is amazing and you should get this now!
  26. Mar 5, 2013
    This game does not seem like past Tomb Raider games because it really isn't meant to. It is supposed to be a new start and it gets off to a great one. This games Lara isn't the confident and completely fearless Lara from past titles. She is a vulnerable and more realistic character who really makes the player feel more connected to her. The story is a very rich and exciting one thatThis game does not seem like past Tomb Raider games because it really isn't meant to. It is supposed to be a new start and it gets off to a great one. This games Lara isn't the confident and completely fearless Lara from past titles. She is a vulnerable and more realistic character who really makes the player feel more connected to her. The story is a very rich and exciting one that made it very hard for me to take breaks This game is about her very first expedition and how it helped her become the Lara we all know and let me tell you, it is fantastic. Like Uncharted took inspiration from the original Tomb Raider games, this new Tomb Raider title does the same but still maintains a sense of originality. The gameplay is very easy to grasp and very fluid. Not a whole lot of issues there. Also the game allows a variety of tactics to use. If you want sneak around like Rambo and take everyone out silently with a bow, you can do that. If you are more traditional and want to grab an assault rifle and start a fire fight, then yippee ki yay The whole world is beautiful and I didn't notice any glitches. If there were some, which there probably were, they were so small that you probably won't notice unless you look for them. Camilla Luddington does a fantastic job as Lara and I was impressed with the rest of the voice acting as well. Crystal Dynamics wanted a grittier storyline to take this franchise to new horizons and they succeeded in a triumphant fashion. Hopefully this is a start of a glorious revival of the Tomb Raider franchise. Expand
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    It's been 3 years since we last had a Lara Croft title, 5 years since we had a game bearing the Tomb Raider title, but it has definitely been worth the wait, while the start of the game takes a little while and several QTE's to settle into it's stride what follows is a fantastic action/adventure game that reminds us precisely why Miss Croft was named "Most Successful Human Video Game Heroine"
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    i'm not one to boast on the technical prowess of any game... but i'd have to go on record saying this may very well be some of the best programming i have seen in the genre. the game shines in all aspects. the combat is a trustworthy extention of the the platforming and the set peices never dissapoint. i feel fanboyism could be the only thing that may take this game's score down a fewi'm not one to boast on the technical prowess of any game... but i'd have to go on record saying this may very well be some of the best programming i have seen in the genre. the game shines in all aspects. the combat is a trustworthy extention of the the platforming and the set peices never dissapoint. i feel fanboyism could be the only thing that may take this game's score down a few notches on metacritic.
    truthfully, i have experience with tomb raider one and two, and am having a great time experiencing this reboot. the old laura was a cartoon. the new laura feels like a person. sure, being an action game i'd say tomb raider has similarities to uncharted. but that extends into what you are doing. not the feel of the game or the location. the game feels new, fresh, and revitalized. the enviroments trump uncharted's in sheer beauty and scale. these are very tightly woven vistas with great pacing. i feel, the tomb raider fanboys are going to hate that laura's cup size changed, and the uncharted fanboys are going to make bold copycat claims without playing the game. it's just how these sites work. but trust me, this game is worth the purchase... it feels almost next generation in it's polish. everything looks and feels great. i'm unsure of the story as of now becuase im only half way through it...but i'm willing to wager that the last 6 hours have been some of the funnest times i have had with a game since uncharted 2, skyrim and farcry3 even though this outing bares little resemblance to any of those titles. i'd check it out if i were you. and don't forget about bioshock infinite later this month! "the truth shall set you free"
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    Amazing gameplay and graphics anyone voting under a 8 or 7 at the very least is obliviously either not played it or just trolling just like:-

guyphs Constantine I still love it how people say this is not a Tomb Raider game well no S$%* Sherlock it is a reboot read that word again REBOOT lol it is made to be different you cannot compare this to any of the other Tomb Raider games.
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuffI really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuff on the map. Thankfully the more you played the game the better the action became and also the story. This is a very clean game with no glitches and bugs and I would like to thank the software developers for releasing a game with no errors of any sorts. I did have a few cosmetic glitches but they were really minor. The upgrade paths to the weapons were fun but really they paced the game as to how to play the game. I both liked this and didnt. On one hand it made the game quite easy but on the other dampened the consequences of what you picked. All in all though the game was fantastic in terms of action so I can't really complain there too. My only complaint about the game really was I don't like to play games who rely on a dark setting to make the game difficult. I do understand this is an exploration game but the game relied on so many other games, all of which I enjoyed but I found the night time/creepy dark atmosphere in some scenes to just be annoying and give me a headache playing in the dark. I could have adjusted visual settings but it still ruins the set atmosphere. Overall I would recommend this game to everyone, it was finishable very easily but also very fun, non stop action pretty much all the way through. This game is well worth your time, it may be quite cut and paste/copycat but overall the entertainment value is definately worth the pricetag. Expand
  31. Mar 31, 2013
    ths game was really amazing! Close to uncharted but definitely not as good as! it lacked a little mystery and the voice over for Lara was sometimes annoying. Besides those problems it was a beautiful experience! macnificent visuals!Thank you Crystal dynamics and square enix!
  32. Mar 5, 2013
    Anything less than a 9 is pure hate. This game is incredible and took me by surprise. It's actually nothing like any of the other TRs. Although this game steals elements from other games which is pretty obvious, it's still in a class of its own. Definitely worth buying.
  33. Mar 21, 2013
    It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning,It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning, she's suffering, gradually becoming the fearsome leonesse she'll eventually be. This game gives you everything. Stunning graphics, fluid gameplay, strong atmosphere, movie-like moments of tension, small bits of RPG (like leveling up and upgrading) and a big island to explore (FILLED with collectibles, by the way). I JUST CAN'T PUT THIS GAME DOWN. You know when you are playing a game and you keep feeling sorry that each hour you put in means it will eventually end? I don't want this game to end. It is THAT good. Although this is just March, in a year with a lot of promising releases, I already think Tomb Raider is one of the games of the year (if not THE game). Expand
  34. Mar 10, 2013
    Wow this is by far the best Tomb Raider game yet.The game play is incredible the action is intense and the controls is as smooth as butter not forgetting the graphics it is stunning. The entire game is incredible you even have some very thrilling scenes a true survival game at it's very best. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant no an excellent job in rebooting the tomb raiderWow this is by far the best Tomb Raider game yet.The game play is incredible the action is intense and the controls is as smooth as butter not forgetting the graphics it is stunning. The entire game is incredible you even have some very thrilling scenes a true survival game at it's very best. Square Enix and Crystal Dynamics did a brilliant no an excellent job in rebooting the tomb raider franchise. If you love action packed games filled with thrill and adrenaline then Tomb Raider is for you forget the negative reviews those people simply do not know what a good game is all about. Expand
  35. Mar 11, 2013
    Many say that this game is a heavily influenced game I agree. There are remnants of Uncharted here and there are glimpses of FarCry however the game's execution is what makes it shine. The way this game has the ability to let you do what you want in a free roam capacity however still provides a sense of linearity during campaign is something that not many games that don't fall under theMany say that this game is a heavily influenced game I agree. There are remnants of Uncharted here and there are glimpses of FarCry however the game's execution is what makes it shine. The way this game has the ability to let you do what you want in a free roam capacity however still provides a sense of linearity during campaign is something that not many games that don't fall under the sandbox genre can do. Tomb Raider has done it and done it well! And just for kicks, put a free roam function at the end? Genius! The gameplay was great, story was compelling, control set robust, weapons/unlockables satisfying and puzzles generally made you feel good about yourself post completion. The only let down was poor character development in regards to the rest if the cast. Great game, looking forward to more! Expand
  36. Jun 18, 2013
    WARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because afterWARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because after playing TR, I just can't enjoy those other games like I used to.

Not a traditional TR game, but as an action game, it's great!
  37. Mar 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider's emphasis of the polished, emotive, story-driven campaign is so wonderfully refreshing amidst a sea of shallow Medal of Duty Warfighter Ops multiplayer driven titles. Not only is the game drop dead gorgeous, it's controls are tight and fluid, the gameplay is slick with tons of angles and the scavenging for upgrades is addictive and ads a ton of depth. This is a brand new LaraTomb Raider's emphasis of the polished, emotive, story-driven campaign is so wonderfully refreshing amidst a sea of shallow Medal of Duty Warfighter Ops multiplayer driven titles. Not only is the game drop dead gorgeous, it's controls are tight and fluid, the gameplay is slick with tons of angles and the scavenging for upgrades is addictive and ads a ton of depth. This is a brand new Lara Croft, a stunningly beautiful one that I hope to see a lot more of in the future. I've only given a couple of titles a 10/10 in my PS3 gaming career and this one is ever so close with a 9.5+. Don't even think about it.. Buy this game today. IMHO, the best of 2012 2013. Expand
  38. May 5, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be funThis might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!! Expand
  39. Mar 12, 2013
    Thoroughly enjoyable reimagining of the tomb raider franchise. It borrows heavily from Uncharted but also exceeds it in certain respects. Level design, particularly in the use of height to create sense of large space is excellent. There are elements of the game that remind of Dark Souls in that levels run from one to the next in a persistent way that actually allows you to back trackThoroughly enjoyable reimagining of the tomb raider franchise. It borrows heavily from Uncharted but also exceeds it in certain respects. Level design, particularly in the use of height to create sense of large space is excellent. There are elements of the game that remind of Dark Souls in that levels run from one to the next in a persistent way that actually allows you to back track through the island if you wish. Although the game doens't quite return to core puzzling like the best of the tomb raider moments you can remember it does include enough of those elements to reignite your love for the series. The collectables are actually interesting and make yoiu want to use your acrobatics to seek them out and the hidden tombs which are optional do provide reasonable puzzles that are enjoyable to complete if not that taxing.
    As with all tomb raiders and uncharted imo the combat is ok and often unecessary, it is varied enough if you wish to explore the dynamics but I would have minimised this even further to sparse but unique events. Tomb Raider also excels at tension building, a number of scenes I won't mention here for fear of spoiling genuinely are tense if often without any real danger to the player dying and you will find yourself frequently smiling at the end of an action scene at how it was put together and the response the developers have got from you. I'm giving this a 10 and hope the developers on their inevitable next time out don't feel the need to break the format by making it more 'actiony(DEADSPACE)' or overdoing the currently excellent cutscenes(Uncharted 3)
    If I was to be hyper critical I'd say Lara's character development is somehow off without me being able to put my finger on it. One minute determined, the next afraid an unsure of herself, it seems to oscillate a bit. Again perhaps I'm being over analytical there.
  40. Apr 27, 2013
    It's been a long and broken path for our favourite survivor, Lara Croft. She shone through all those years ago in the mid-90s when she came bursting onto the scene in all her pixeled glory. But a few mishaps and and misfire games all but tarnished the name that lets be honest, was a big reason most of us bought a PS1. When Crystal Dynamics took over they tried to bring Lady Croft into theIt's been a long and broken path for our favourite survivor, Lara Croft. She shone through all those years ago in the mid-90s when she came bursting onto the scene in all her pixeled glory. But a few mishaps and and misfire games all but tarnished the name that lets be honest, was a big reason most of us bought a PS1. When Crystal Dynamics took over they tried to bring Lady Croft into the HD world, but they just didn't click anymore with the fans.
    Then perhaps the biggest decision they ever had to make, how can they make a new game, but make it entirely different from the others? Why not go back to the beginning, all the way back to before Lara was the world renowned explorer with her dual pistols and clever attitude. Lets go right back, and they have did a remarkable job at rebooting not only the franchise, but also the character herself.
    We meet a 19 year-old Lara, who has convinced the descendants of a long lost kingdom of people, that the island they used to dwell in, Yamatai, may still exist. having been lost for years.
    Lara goes along with her friends and colleagues on an expedition to find the place, but a freak storm in the 'Dragon Triangle' near Japan has dire consequences for the team, as they are stranded on a deserted island...or so they think.
    The game really tells the story of just how Lara came to be how we remember her, and on this island she gets a pretty hard time of it before reaching that path of the beautiful and clever explorer.
    A strange group occupy the island, and Lara must fight her way through the men, who at one time attempt to rape her, and thus incurs her first, but certainly not last, kill of another human being.
    The game asks the player to guide Lara in her quest to rescue her friends and attempt to find a way off the island. Borrowing much of its style from Uncharted, Tomb Raider plays out as an almost non-linear style, where Lara must look for salvage to upgrade her weapons, find weapon parts for her bow, shotgun, rifle and of course her pistol. But the island of course isn't kind to our hero, wolves will attack you, guards are trying to kill you and the island itself is dangerous to be jumping around on. Lara must climb her up rugged and rough terrain, take down an enormous group of enemies, and solve the mystery as to why nobody has gotten off the dreaded island, but of course we cannot forget her actually exploring tombs either, and there are plenty to raid.The game takes plenty of twists and turns, outlining tragic events that Lara had to deal with to make her the battle-tested survivor she became.
    The island is beautiful to look at, and of course the animations of Lara and her journey through the island are exceptional, especially the button-mashing cinematics that have occupied many games now, but still work best in this and of course Uncharted.
    There are a few minor hiccups that I felt took away a little from having a fully enjoyable experience. Although the game offers plenty of exploration, it really would have benefited more from being an open-world adventure with linear aspects thrown in, the island is quite large, and to get back to various locations you have discovered you must fast-travel to an already discovered camp, I think it would have been a better option for the player to explore their surroundings on their way back, but don't get me wrong the area you are in is still vast enough to explore in, it just could have been more.
    The actions of Lara need to be brought up as well, although it comes to the point in the game where she knows she needs to do anything to survive, her abilities and actions at killing enemies with various methods sort of take away the fact that she felt such distain and vulnerability when slaying her first victim.
    But these minor speed bumps aside this is a much needed and welcome reboot to a franchise so dear to many people, something that started the gaming exploration, and a character as memorable as Lara has been done great justice in how her early years panned out.
    An excellent adventure and an unforgettable experience.
  41. Mar 7, 2013
    Me gusto desde que lo vi en la E3.
    Ahora que lo he podido jugar no me ha defraudado, es un juego de aventuras muy completo y que renueva la franquicie.
  42. Mar 7, 2013
    Let me start by saying I was never I huge fan of the old tomb raider games in the past,and I never really got involved with tomb raider or Lara Croft since the series first appearance on PlayStation 1,I always thought they where to hard and just plain Boring...But now in 2013 with the release of this AMAZING Reboot,all I can say is that this is the Best game ever created.the graphics areLet me start by saying I was never I huge fan of the old tomb raider games in the past,and I never really got involved with tomb raider or Lara Croft since the series first appearance on PlayStation 1,I always thought they where to hard and just plain Boring...But now in 2013 with the release of this AMAZING Reboot,all I can say is that this is the Best game ever created.the graphics are some of the best I've ever seen(even beating the uncharted series in that sense).the music,voice acting and controls are superb.the game is going to keep you on the edge of you're seat, Tomb Raider is in plain words a masterpiece that gives the Uncharted series a run for it's money.Well done Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix I'm now a Fan of Tomb Raider.the multi player is okay just not perfect,besides that weakness Tomb Raider 2013 is INCREDible.go get it you won't regret it. Expand
  43. Apr 6, 2013
    People want to compare it to the other Tomb Raider games, but this games has so much more depth than previous games and much better gameplay. Not every single previous Tomb Raider game was good, and there was a need for Lara and her story to be re-envisioned. Great graphics, this games is exciting and the engrossing. Only set-back was that it felt there was something lacking in thePeople want to compare it to the other Tomb Raider games, but this games has so much more depth than previous games and much better gameplay. Not every single previous Tomb Raider game was good, and there was a need for Lara and her story to be re-envisioned. Great graphics, this games is exciting and the engrossing. Only set-back was that it felt there was something lacking in the story line and characters. The game does sometimes feel like you are playing a version of Uncharted, but only in certain instances or parts of the game which does take away from it at times. Expand
  44. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprisingThis game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  45. Mar 10, 2013
    GOOD: stunning graphics, physicals, gameplay mechanics, beautifulls enviroments, good story and very fun in general

BAD: No Underwater zones, Automatic health recovery (TR takes the good things of Uncharted, but the bad things too???!!), Excesive checkpoints sites, too many hints and help!! ("help button"..was a trally mistake) and too much "war" situations
  46. Mar 18, 2013
    I want to keep this one pretty short. There hasn't been, arguably, a decent Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2 on the PS1 (Underworld had its' moments). Crystal Dynamics, a once promising and innovative developer, had been stuck with the Tomb Raider franchise for years without a solid budget to make truly great games. Finally, with a grand production, this is the Tomb Raider game I'mI want to keep this one pretty short. There hasn't been, arguably, a decent Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2 on the PS1 (Underworld had its' moments). Crystal Dynamics, a once promising and innovative developer, had been stuck with the Tomb Raider franchise for years without a solid budget to make truly great games. Finally, with a grand production, this is the Tomb Raider game I'm sure they've wanted to make from the time they were first handed Ms. Croft's legacy. A near-perfect action-adventure game in every way, marred only slightly by a forgettable, and seemingly tacked-on, multiplayer mode. A must own for fans of the genre, a chance to rejoice for fans of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. And, on a side note, there most likely wouldn't be an Uncharted without there having first been a Tomb Raider, and there wouldn't have been a Tomb Raider without Indiana Jones. Deal with it. Expand
  47. Mar 24, 2013
    This game exceeded all expectations, the graphics are really good, the controls are nearly perfect (after a few minutes) and the sound is top notch. The game starts out with way too many QTE's (in my opinion) and at certain points in the game I feel the story borderlines on absurdity (much like the grossly overrated uncharted series) but this is Lara Croft at her finest, never has a TombThis game exceeded all expectations, the graphics are really good, the controls are nearly perfect (after a few minutes) and the sound is top notch. The game starts out with way too many QTE's (in my opinion) and at certain points in the game I feel the story borderlines on absurdity (much like the grossly overrated uncharted series) but this is Lara Croft at her finest, never has a Tomb Raider game been this good. If your a fan of action games such as Uncharted then you should definitely pick this up. Expand
  48. Mar 14, 2013
    I am having a blast with this game. Full disclosure: I am a relatively new console gamer and I haven;t played too much of the old TR games. However, this reboot is a blast. I like the adventure style of the game, and the experience system looks like Eidos honed and improved their already excellent setup from Deus Ex. The characters are interesting, the story is pretty engaging, and II am having a blast with this game. Full disclosure: I am a relatively new console gamer and I haven;t played too much of the old TR games. However, this reboot is a blast. I like the adventure style of the game, and the experience system looks like Eidos honed and improved their already excellent setup from Deus Ex. The characters are interesting, the story is pretty engaging, and I Lara's character development made me feel connected to the game. Did I mention it looks great? I highly recommend this game to TR fans and noobs alike, it's a lot of fun. Expand
  49. Aug 8, 2013
    In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/page/2/
  50. Mar 16, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played! Words can't express how much I enjoyed this game. I'm a big tomb raider fan and I couldn't have asked for a better reboot than this. It is better than the old in so many was it's incomparable. From the start to finish I was hooked, this game it's amazing in so many ways I would have to go on and on, but I'm not! If you like tomb raider, you'll loveOne of the best games I've ever played! Words can't express how much I enjoyed this game. I'm a big tomb raider fan and I couldn't have asked for a better reboot than this. It is better than the old in so many was it's incomparable. From the start to finish I was hooked, this game it's amazing in so many ways I would have to go on and on, but I'm not! If you like tomb raider, you'll love this, and and of you like video games, you absolutely have to play this game!! It is now in my top 10 favorite games of all time. A must play. Expand
  51. Aug 6, 2013
    I'm currently on 65% to complete 1st walkthrough and I think there is nothing until end which can spoil this score. Game is awesome. Only bad thing is that it's little too easy.
    Story, game mechanics and everything else works just fine!

Feels like Tomb Raider meet Far Cry 3 and Uncharted!
  52. Mar 8, 2013
    The new tomb raider is a very good action game with a sprinkle of exploration and puzzle solving. I would say 75% action and 25% puzzle and exploration. Its similar to the uncharted series and that isn't necessarily a bad thing because I like the uncharted series however I bought this hoping to play classic tomb raider not uncharted. I loved all the original ps1 tomb raiders with theirThe new tomb raider is a very good action game with a sprinkle of exploration and puzzle solving. I would say 75% action and 25% puzzle and exploration. Its similar to the uncharted series and that isn't necessarily a bad thing because I like the uncharted series however I bought this hoping to play classic tomb raider not uncharted. I loved all the original ps1 tomb raiders with their very high difficulty and massive levels that would take literally hours to figure out. The original tomb raiders were 80% puzzle solving and exploration and 20% action....(if even that much action). Here lies the problem for me. The new tomb raider is very good but not at all like the originals and to be honest after playing it i took the disk out and went on to psn and downloaded the old tomb raiders for a replay because oddly enough this really made me want to play them again and best of all is that i never managed to beat tomb raider 3. Now thats what I call a tomb raider, a rock hard challenge with serious consequences if you fail. I think you know where im going with this so if you like uncharted you will like the new tomb raider but if you want massive difficult levels to get lost in you wont get it with this reboot. overall a very good action game with great graphics that will satisfy new customers and also old fans who feel the old tomb raiders had their day. I on the other hand am gonna be having far more fun playing tomb raider 3 for the foreseeable future while the world enjoys this reboot. Each to their own I guess. Expand
  53. Mar 5, 2013
    a great reboot of the game making Lara grounded and more of a person than a symbol

gear and skills are good but I wish they add more

the cinematics here are super high quality like from an action move
  54. Mar 8, 2013
    I hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to myI hate to compare this to uncharted, but it is all most impossible, but this should be seen as a complement. This game does every Uncharted does, and in my opinion much better. The story is great, and it had me interested from beginning to end, Lara is played brilliantly well, even if her transition from average girl to full blown badass is jarring. It plays great, the combat, to my surprise is very enjoyable. The cover system is one of the best I have seen, it's seamless and never slows down the action, the guns and bow feel great. The platforming is simple, and not to challenging, but none the less it's still fun and make for some really great cinematic moments. The game defiantly is not as puzzle heavy as the previous game, but there are puzzles, and they are fun. The game looks fantastic, full of colour, varied environments and never noticed texture pop in, frame rate slows down sometime but never enough to ruin the experience.But Multiplayer is bad a poor man uncharted Expand
  55. Mar 16, 2013
    i`ve played and beat this game and i found this to be the best tomb raider game yet.i`m going to say right now this no uncharted.the game has great visuals.and the game play is excellent.you feel connected with lara and her friends as they explore and try to survive.the game is open world to certain point since you can come back and explore old areas to find things you may have missed.thisi`ve played and beat this game and i found this to be the best tomb raider game yet.i`m going to say right now this no uncharted.the game has great visuals.and the game play is excellent.you feel connected with lara and her friends as they explore and try to survive.the game is open world to certain point since you can come back and explore old areas to find things you may have missed.this game feels like the old tomb raider games but the only thing they could of done a little better or add more of is the puzzles.the mutliplayer is fun to play. but can get a little boring to fast. i really felt for the lara and her friends.looting tombs and finding treasure is there just like in the old romb raider games and jumping and climbing as well.no matter what anyone says it still tomb raider old with a new look. Expand
  56. Mar 5, 2013
    What a return for Lara Croft. Crystal Dynamics have made exactly what they were aiming for. Lara is no longer a hardened tomb raider. She's young and terrified and this atmosphere is made perfectly. The story is deep and involving. The action sequences are brutally amazing, ripping along at a breakneck pace. The gameplay is solid and enjoyable and the visuals are quite staggering at times.What a return for Lara Croft. Crystal Dynamics have made exactly what they were aiming for. Lara is no longer a hardened tomb raider. She's young and terrified and this atmosphere is made perfectly. The story is deep and involving. The action sequences are brutally amazing, ripping along at a breakneck pace. The gameplay is solid and enjoyable and the visuals are quite staggering at times. A near perfect experience. Expand
  57. Mar 7, 2013
    "This, however, is not a OLD Tomb Raider game" Puff... That is good.
  58. Mar 14, 2013
    Great overhaul of the franchise! Have always been a fan of the TR games, loved the original. This new version is the shot in the arm they needed. Surpassing the Uncharted games IMO, this new TR is fun, great controls, better firearm dynamics and love the bow and arrow inclusion. Graphics are good too. If you like TR and have enjoyed the Uncharteds on PS3, you will be pleased. TR rocks.
  59. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  60. Mar 17, 2013
    Up until now, I'd never played any of the "Tomb Raider" games, but after seeing a very generous review about it from a critic I appreciate, I decided to give it a try. And let me just say, it was nothing short of a highly satisfying experience. Influenced greatly by the infinitely superb "Uncharted" games, this new and rebooted treatment is not just a great game it's a great story. I gotUp until now, I'd never played any of the "Tomb Raider" games, but after seeing a very generous review about it from a critic I appreciate, I decided to give it a try. And let me just say, it was nothing short of a highly satisfying experience. Influenced greatly by the infinitely superb "Uncharted" games, this new and rebooted treatment is not just a great game it's a great story. I got immediately attached to Lara Croft and her comrades, intrigued by the mysteries of the island, and motivated not only to follow the main game story but complete the side tomb raiding missions and search for all sorts of hidden treasures and salvage. It's a very complete game and I loved playing every minute of it. Expand
  61. Mar 20, 2013
    I very much wanted to like this game. its one of the best games i played. The atmosphere is amazing. The game play is great and its a very good action game
  62. Mar 12, 2013
    Having completed the game I can definitely say it is a strong 9/10. The story was so powerful and immersing and it was suitable for old and new Tomb Raider fans. I only marked a point down as the game was slightly shorter than I had hoped and an obvious flaw is the multiplayer. I do have to say, although the multiplayer is shoddy, it is extremely addictive and fun to play.
  63. Mar 20, 2013
    Lara Croft has a long and storied history. As far as famous female video game characters go, she’s second in notoriety only to Princess Peach. Lara debuted during the original PlayStation era to much fanfare, and she was lauded for the style with which she grabbed our attention, and took us on adventure after adventure. It’s true that she’s had her downs, as well, citing the entirety ofLara Croft has a long and storied history. As far as famous female video game characters go, she’s second in notoriety only to Princess Peach. Lara debuted during the original PlayStation era to much fanfare, and she was lauded for the style with which she grabbed our attention, and took us on adventure after adventure. It’s true that she’s had her downs, as well, citing the entirety of last generation (and the majority of her cross-over into this one) as one of the most lengthy falls from grace this industry has ever seen, again coming in second, but this time to Sonic the Hedgehog.

The preview screens and videos of this new entry in the series, titled simply “Tomb Raider,” have left a mountain of expectations to live up to. Conjuring images of Naughty Dog’s critically acclaimed Uncharted series a series Lara, herself, inspired and boasting outstanding visuals, mysterious dangers, and eponymous tombs, E3 2010 gave us a glimpse at what Lara hoped to be. But, as Gearbox Software tends to prove time and again… previews don’t necessarily make the game, and after the gigantic Aliens: Colonial Marines debacle, a bit of trepidation crept into the air. You can’t always trust everything that you see.
    Thankfully, those fears were completely unfounded.

Concerning story, the game begins where the E3 2010 previews left us on a (disturbingly) sparsely inhabited island, completely shipwrecked and alone, searching out your crew mates, and trying to avoid those locals along the way. This all started when Ms. Croft had decided to take out an expedition in order to discover the lost kingdom of one notorious “Storm Queen,” a ruler said to have the ability to control weather. She’s also not that great of a person… she also might not have died completely… she may also be haunting the island you’ve crashed on…

As previously stated, the game has been, almost necessarily, compared to Naughty Dog’s Uncharted series, and while the games share certain similarities in their action sequences, it’s generally an extremely poor comparison. Some of the things Tomb Raider does simply haven’t ever been done before. Where Uncharted is a linear action game, Tomb Raider takes place on an open island you can explore at your leisure. Even though the combat is handled similarly in both titles, it’s the breaks between the action that sets Tomb Raider apart. When you’re not engaged in intense firefights, you’re fighting for your survival against weather, fauna, and unfamiliar territory. One thing that Lara and Drake definitely have in common? Four little words: Game of the Year. Lara Croft is back, and once again, she’ll be inspiring game designers the industry over for generations to come.
  64. Mar 19, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an excellent game and a great way to the year! (As much as you can start in march :'P)
    The Story is the origin of the female heroine Lara Croft but this is not the old Lara. This is a new Lara, one that is young and naive and has no past Tomb Raiding experience. I don't wanna ruin the story but as you know Lara is ship wrecked and need's to find a way off the Island, It's really rich and engaging and kept me intrigued in the story and wanting to know what happens next. The gameplay is very Uncharted based (Don't hate but it's true) in the way that you take cover while in gun fights, climb up cliffs and ledges, and well...just the overall feel of the gameplay. It's very fun and it works well. The graphics are excellent and really well done, the character models are really good and look realist. Lara herself is probably the best looking thing in the game because she looks and act's like a young women. Throughout playing the game I started to wonder if Crystal Dynamics even liked Lara because of some of the Death scenarios she goes through, I mean some are seriously gruesome, for example, I've seen her impaled by a tree, crushed by boulders, have a metal pipe through the skull and cracked her head open underwater by the current of the sea pushing her into the wall. So as you can see this game is not for the faint hearted as this is the first ever 18 age rated Tomb Raider. Camilla Luddington's performance as Lara is really good, she sells the character really well and plays it off very believable. Now for the weak parts of the game, the big major disappointment for me is the games competitive multiplayer, not only is it extremely weak, generic and nowhere near the standard of the games excellent single player component, it is trying to hard to match Uncharted's multiplayer just because of the way it looks and plays, I have no problem with Uncharted's MP but if you're going to make a copy of it at least put some effort into it and make it good in the progress. My main gripe with the MP is that it wasn't developed in-house at Crystal Dynamics, it was developed at Eidos Montreal which gives me the impression that Crystal didn't want it in the game but Square Enix wanted it placed in the game. The last problem I have is a little one but one that is still should be worked on in games, it's the fact that Lara goes from scared girl to trained killer in the space of about 10 15 minutes, I know she has to adapt to survive and she does have a cry after her first kill but what about the other 500+ men she kills along the way? This was a problem in another game called Far Cry 3, as I'm sure you know, anyway this is a small price to pay. In all really enjoyed the game and I wasn't even a big Tomb Raider fan going into the game. I recommend you all pick up the game if you are past Tomb Raider fans who grew tired of the game and need a new outlook on the series, if you are a fan of the action genre or are just looking for a new game to play I can easily recommend Lara Croft: Tomb Raider!
  65. Mar 5, 2013
    It is a very good game with likable characters in game like sam or new tomb. I have console version and pc if you have nvidia card mine is 550 ti) you can get high settings and good frame rate when turning of tessellation,high precise, normal for ssao and depth of field. Overal you should buy Tomb raider on both platform
  66. Mar 9, 2013
    I cant rly judge the game since I never played any of them, however my mom played all of the previous ones (and I guess this is her score), sometimes I used to watch so I also know a bit. Anyway, I cant say that I like this one, I mean Lara was always a tough woman, now she seems so weak and vulnerable. Thers also alot of gruesom things to happen for such a "weak looking girl", I cant evenI cant rly judge the game since I never played any of them, however my mom played all of the previous ones (and I guess this is her score), sometimes I used to watch so I also know a bit. Anyway, I cant say that I like this one, I mean Lara was always a tough woman, now she seems so weak and vulnerable. Thers also alot of gruesom things to happen for such a "weak looking girl", I cant even stand to watch my mom play it anymore. Expand
  67. Mar 8, 2013
    I just can't believe how awesome Tomb Raider is. I remember playing the original game in 1996. (only took 6 guys to make most of it.) Either way the following sequels failed to innovate, and it almost became a "copy and paste" type thing with TR. The sequels kinda got boring after a time. Core Design, and Eidos tried in so many ways to reinvent Lara Croft. The gave her bigger boobs, thenI just can't believe how awesome Tomb Raider is. I remember playing the original game in 1996. (only took 6 guys to make most of it.) Either way the following sequels failed to innovate, and it almost became a "copy and paste" type thing with TR. The sequels kinda got boring after a time. Core Design, and Eidos tried in so many ways to reinvent Lara Croft. The gave her bigger boobs, then smaller boobs... lol.. They tried a sort of Reboot even to the extent that they offered a job to Toby Gard who initially is credited with creating Lara Croft, and Tomb Raider. (he left the company shortly after the release of the first Tomb Raider to start his own studio in 1996.) He did a good job, but again failed to innovate, and evolve the TR formula. I said all that to say this. Who would think Square Enix, and Crystal Dynamics would be able to reinvent Lara Croft in such a beautiful way. I am literally left speechless with how well they have crafted the New Tomb Raider game. Its explosive. Its raw. Its right in your face guts and glory. Its dark. Its gritty. Its without a doubt thee very best Tomb Raider I've ever played. Expand
  68. Mar 14, 2013
    Introduction: When I first rented Tomb Raider, I did not what to expect. I went into the game with no expectations. I came out more then impressed. Tomb Raider reminded me extremely of Uncharted which is a very good thing. Anyone who says that Tomb Raider is a knock off of Uncharted need to play the game all the way through. Regardless, the Tomb Raider series has been around muchIntroduction: When I first rented Tomb Raider, I did not what to expect. I went into the game with no expectations. I came out more then impressed. Tomb Raider reminded me extremely of Uncharted which is a very good thing. Anyone who says that Tomb Raider is a knock off of Uncharted need to play the game all the way through. Regardless, the Tomb Raider series has been around much longer then Uncharted. Tomb Raider's reboot has hit the shelves and the series is going in a direction that may just save the series.

Presentation: Turn Uncharted's Nathan Drake into a woman and you have the new Tomb Raider. Lara Croft is not a smart aleck character like Nathan Drake but an archaeologist who is on a trip to an island not far from Japan looking for the lost kingdom of Yamatai. To give no spoilers something goes wrong and the whole game takes place on this one island. Since everything takes place on one island, the change in environments seems almost unrealistic but then again, most of the story is once you realize the force of evil in the game. Aside from the slight randomness to the game itself, the story stays together very well and although it reminded me very much of Uncharted, it holds its ground in comparison. This game could be seen as the cross platform of Tomb Raider. 8.5/10

Graphics: To make it short, the games graphics are absolutely phenomenal. Near perfect that made everything look real. The only problem with the graphics was that some parts of the environment (Lara's radio and other small items in the world) seemed to be lazily designed. These issues however were small in comparison to the masterful graphic design of the entire game. 10/10

Sound: The voice acting was top notch. Although some of the supporting characters acting potential did not seem to peak, Lara's voice actress made you forget of these less then perfect voice actors. The conversations felt real for the most part and the soundtrack to the game helped raise the emotional levels throughout the game. Although the game did not produce a memorable soundtrack, it did deliver in the moments it needed to. 9.5/10

Gameplay: The gameplay was near perfect. Everything felt real and all of Lara's tools were easy to use. Lara herself was easy to control and I had little to no difficulty moving around in the different environments. The only issues I had with the gameplay was the many places were quick time events were used. Quick time events were not spontaneous exactly but most of them felt annoying to use. When doing a finishing move, a timed press of triangle was needed which wasn't as annoying but cutscene quick time events were here enough for me to remember. The game also offered a sight that would help you to figure out were you were supposed to go. This worked ok but hopefully will be improved in the next game because sometimes I found it difficult to find the exact routes I needed to take to get to an objective. The only issue I had with gameplay was quick time events and since they were only slightly used, the score is: 9.5/10

Entertainment: I found myself enjoying this game very much. The story was to say the least interesting and the game kept my attention all the way to the end. Not only did the story keep me focused but collectibles were also really fun to find (this is major considering I hate finding collectibles). Aside from the story, 100 percenting the game can actually be fun and rewarding (finding documents, relics, tombs, ect.) Aside from collectibles and the story, the multiplayer is slightly entertaining. Although the multiplayer does not compare to something like call of duty, it would also make you play for extra hours. The game was extremely fun. 10/10

Replay Value: The story itself is roughly 10 hours long. Finding collectibles to 100% the game takes an average 6-7 more hours. This is the only game I can truly say that if I owned instead of rented, I would 100% the game. So just one playthough is 16 hours. Add that onto the multiplayer and you have at least 25-30 hours of gameplay. Aside from the game being long, you will find yourself wanting to play through the story again one day considering how fun the gameplay is in the game. The replay value it higher then other games I have reviewed because of decent multiplayer and fun collectibles but like the others, since the story is very linear, there isn't much else to be seen after completing the game once on 100%. With that said however, it will be replayed by owners: guaranteed. 7/10

Verdict: This game is near perfect. I absolutely loved playing through this game and cannot wait for the return of Lara Croft. The game is beautifully stunning and will keep you hooked for hours. This game is the highest I have reviewed so far. Total Rating 9.1/10
  69. Mar 17, 2013
    Jogo expetacular gráficos super bem feitos, jogabilidade íncrivel,história surpreendente,e envolvente, O MELHOR JOGO DESSA GERAÇÃO !
    Gráficos:10
    Som:10 Jogabilidade:10 História:10 NOTA FINAL: 10 THE BEST GAME OF GENERATION! Tomb Raider recuperou seu posto, Muito melhor do que aquela merda de Uncharted ...Uncharted um lixo de jogo. TOMB RAIDER VOLTOU MAIS FORTE DO QUE NUNCA,
    Gráficos:10
    Som:10
    Jogabilidade:10
    História:10
    NOTA FINAL: 10

TOMB RAIDER VOLTOU MAIS FORTE DO QUE NUNCA, MELHOR JOGO DESSA GERAÇÃO TOMB RAIDER IRÁ MASSACRAR QUALQUER JOGO QUE ENTRAR EM SEU CAMINHO !
    Tomb Raider 2013 GOTY 2013
    Lara Croft está de volta
  70. Mar 5, 2013
    Well for starters you've got a very sexy and vulnerable female lead character that we've all known and loved for years. And if that's not enough Tomb Raider delivers with great graphics, beautiful and stunning scenery and cinematics as well as great gameplay and a story that holds bolth depth and weight. What else could you you ask for Alright, well maybe Tomb Raider won't fulfill all ofWell for starters you've got a very sexy and vulnerable female lead character that we've all known and loved for years. And if that's not enough Tomb Raider delivers with great graphics, beautiful and stunning scenery and cinematics as well as great gameplay and a story that holds bolth depth and weight. What else could you you ask for Alright, well maybe Tomb Raider won't fulfill all of your fantasies and expectations, but never the less it's bound to be one of the best games of 2013. Expand
  71. Mar 6, 2013
    Amazing game, one of the best in the series! It has a slightly cliched story, characters and ending, but in saying that the ending really is amazing and the game needs to be played! Lara Croft is yet again back!!
  72. Mar 7, 2013
    Wow, This game far exceeded my expectations. Great graphics and story line, I couldnt put down the controller. The video clips and big scenes that are played are really well done, and definitely creates a form of suspense throughout the game.
  73. Mar 7, 2013
    Best Tomb Raider game ever made!. Crystal Dynamics have made a wonderful and entertaining game thats blow you away!. Buy it before you neighbor Lara Croft is back!
  74. Mar 7, 2013
    This is a top quality game and the only reason i'm giving it a 9 is that its not in 3D and it demands to be so. Some of the locations are nausea inducing in 2D in 3D it would be puke central. A great great game.
  75. Mar 10, 2013
    I enjoyed it form beginning to end. It's like classic Tomb Raider with awesome graphics and without the boring bits. My only gripe is that it is a bit short and well, every time I want to pick something up and stand in the wrong spot, Lara strikes up the torch, with became slightly irritating after a while. But apart from that it's top notch entertainment all the way through. There will beI enjoyed it form beginning to end. It's like classic Tomb Raider with awesome graphics and without the boring bits. My only gripe is that it is a bit short and well, every time I want to pick something up and stand in the wrong spot, Lara strikes up the torch, with became slightly irritating after a while. But apart from that it's top notch entertainment all the way through. There will be the ones among you who start whining every time a new Tomb Raider comes out, complaining about how it's not like the original series and blah blah blah, completely ignoring the fact that this is so much better than anything that came out under that franchise. There will be those among you who will complain bitterly that it's too easy and too linear and truth be told, there were a few moments when I wished the island would be more of the Far Cry 3 persuasion, meaning that you could roam more freely, but ti's not my decision to make. I guess it goes with the game-play. And the is fantastic. The story works. Lara looks and moves great. Can you ask for more? More of a challenge perhaps. Well, I have to admit, there were moments when I was missing those feelings of accomplishment that you got way back when you found that lever after an hour long search or when you finally managed that timed run on the tenth try. But look on the upside, the is no frustration whatsoever and I'm kinda grateful that Lara doesn't die all the time. And for those among you who complain about the uncharterisation of the TR franchise, I can only point out that Uncharted when it came out drew heavily on the TR formulae. So it's only fair in my view that they should get something back from Drake. I wish this to be a blazing success so that the creators continue in that vein. Can't wait for the next installment. Expand
  76. Mar 10, 2013
    Finished the game in a little over 13 on hard and this is perfectly paced hours. While being very linear the tory and solid action carried this game through to a very satisfying end. I played on release day with no patches and only encountered 1 bug like game crashed but only 1 time so its fine really great job
  77. Mar 10, 2013
    First off I have been playing Tomb Raider since it was released and boy has crystal dynamics and square enix done a wonderful job. I have to admit I have been drifting away from the gaming scene lately but somehow the reboot of Tomb Raider has just pulled me back in. I also love how they made Lara a human being as well plus an outstanding voice over by Camilla Luddington she reallyFirst off I have been playing Tomb Raider since it was released and boy has crystal dynamics and square enix done a wonderful job. I have to admit I have been drifting away from the gaming scene lately but somehow the reboot of Tomb Raider has just pulled me back in. I also love how they made Lara a human being as well plus an outstanding voice over by Camilla Luddington she really breathes life into a fading series. I strongly recommend this game to any action adventure gamer or casual gamer its lengthy and offers a strong replay value. Also I would like to say in conclusion that Tomb Raider is not a copy or imitator of Uncharted Lara Croft was the first to really explore treasure hunting and adventure properly on ps1, this is a must have title for any gamer and a must buy. Expand
  78. Mar 10, 2013
    I have been looking forward to this game. I am a huge Uncharted fan, so this game was right up my alley. I am not familiar with other Tomb Raider games, but I get upset to when one of my favorite franchises is changed (i.e. Resident Evil). This was fun, action game with a few problems. I died way too many times because it was difficult to see where to go and the overall game play wasI have been looking forward to this game. I am a huge Uncharted fan, so this game was right up my alley. I am not familiar with other Tomb Raider games, but I get upset to when one of my favorite franchises is changed (i.e. Resident Evil). This was fun, action game with a few problems. I died way too many times because it was difficult to see where to go and the overall game play was fairly repetitive. I liked the treasure part, and would have enjoyed more of the puzzle solving, but overall a good game that I am sure I will play through multiple times. Expand
  79. Mar 11, 2013
    I am a big fan of Uncharted and Batman Arkham Asylum, if you are too then Lara's newest adventure is something for you! The exploring and adventuring gameplay is really well executed and the combat never feels like a chore. Yes, story wise the growing curve off Lara is a bit steep at a certain moment where she turns from fragile girl into an action hero. But I did not find this irritatingI am a big fan of Uncharted and Batman Arkham Asylum, if you are too then Lara's newest adventure is something for you! The exploring and adventuring gameplay is really well executed and the combat never feels like a chore. Yes, story wise the growing curve off Lara is a bit steep at a certain moment where she turns from fragile girl into an action hero. But I did not find this irritating like some reviewers state. The story overall is really good and the scenery is amazing. The graphics are on par with games like uncharted 3 and if you have some nice speakers the sound effects are awesome to listen to as well. I played this game in a darkened room with the volume up high and the wolves really scared the out of me! I can not praise Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix enough for bringing us this great reboot of a franchise we all loved when we were a bit younger And now we can all admire Lara's curves, euhm I mean actions, all over again! Expand
  80. Mar 11, 2013
    This is a great reboot that expanded in almost every aspect. It has remarkable graphics and the storyline is great. Not to mention, the puzzles are fun. It feels good to see one of your favorite game franchises do well.
  81. Mar 14, 2013
    Brilliant, brilliant game. This was the first Tomb Raider game I have ever played (decided to pick it up as I'm a huge fan of Uncharted) and this game did not disappoint. The story is great and it really pulls you in and I really felt connected to Lara right from the get go. The voice acting is top notch across the board, and I thought that Camilla Luddington did an excellent job as Lara.Brilliant, brilliant game. This was the first Tomb Raider game I have ever played (decided to pick it up as I'm a huge fan of Uncharted) and this game did not disappoint. The story is great and it really pulls you in and I really felt connected to Lara right from the get go. The voice acting is top notch across the board, and I thought that Camilla Luddington did an excellent job as Lara. Really just a wonderful game and I can't wait for the next one. Expand
  82. Mar 15, 2013
    A great and much needed reboot to the Tomb Raider series has rejuvenated the franchise with this very successful game by Crystal Dynamics, The action of the game is extremely fun and using the bow feels very good, upgrading your weapons over the course of the game is very cool, however the skill perk system is generic with a few exceptions. The story is good showing the growth of LaraA great and much needed reboot to the Tomb Raider series has rejuvenated the franchise with this very successful game by Crystal Dynamics, The action of the game is extremely fun and using the bow feels very good, upgrading your weapons over the course of the game is very cool, however the skill perk system is generic with a few exceptions. The story is good showing the growth of Lara Croft from innocent explorer to strong survivor, Lara's character is very good but her ship mates are pretty much stereotypes and are not very interesting. Tomb Raider provides a great reboot to a long running franchise with one of the most iconic characters in gaming, It's gritty, fun and will keep you hooked from beginning to end, If you have played the Uncharted series the gameplay is very similar with both being pretty much the same quality combat wise. Pick this game up, It's one of the best games of 2013 so far. Expand
  83. Mar 15, 2013
    A very fantastic experience that no one should not miss.Tomb Raider is a must own game for those who collects games for xbox360,ps3 ore pc and no doubt that this title is one of my favorite games released of 2013.
  84. Mar 17, 2013
    WinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWiWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWin Expand
  85. Mar 17, 2013
    I was sceptical about this game until i saw some of the gameplay so decided to brave it. I was mightily impressed with this reboot. Made Lara a very believable character as part of a very dark and gritty story that turns her into the survival/explorer that made her famous. I loved the hidden tombs that you could explore off the beaten track which I expect will be expanded more in the nextI was sceptical about this game until i saw some of the gameplay so decided to brave it. I was mightily impressed with this reboot. Made Lara a very believable character as part of a very dark and gritty story that turns her into the survival/explorer that made her famous. I loved the hidden tombs that you could explore off the beaten track which I expect will be expanded more in the next installment as this game is mainly (and rightly) about the origin. The soundtrack is fantastic particularly with a surround sound system and really add to the atmosphere. The action set pieces are amazing and topple the likes of the uncharted series and many recent action films. The only downside is the trophy system for my fellow 100% completionists. In order to fully platinum this game you are required to spend at least 20-40 hours just on the multi-player side to level up which is simply unacceptable for a single-player game such as this. To close this is probably the best game of 2013 so far and will take something special to top it. This game has set a high standard for the series and I hope that they can build on the great foundation they have laid here. Expand
  86. Mar 18, 2013
    A reboot of such an iconic character was never going to be easy, however Crystal Dynamics have hit the mark. This a young Lara Croft, on her first major expedition. However not all is as it seems, Lara finds herself quickly fighting for survival. The voice acting alongside her new origin story only helps in making Lara seem more human than ever before. The combat, while not as polished asA reboot of such an iconic character was never going to be easy, however Crystal Dynamics have hit the mark. This a young Lara Croft, on her first major expedition. However not all is as it seems, Lara finds herself quickly fighting for survival. The voice acting alongside her new origin story only helps in making Lara seem more human than ever before. The combat, while not as polished as some other action games is solid and generally quite pleasing. However the multiplayer part of the game feels like its just slapped on for added bonus as it seems every game now feels it needs to cater for multiplayer. However I doubt anyone would of picked this up to play a multiplayer game. While not as focused on 'raiding tombs' the strength of the game is definitely the story. Lara Croft has been given a new lease of life and I for one can't wait to see where Crystal Dynamics take her next. Expand
  87. Mar 21, 2013
    I never really liked TR so i was a little unsure about jumping into this one. However i heard it was compared to uncharted, which is one of my all time favorite game franchises. So i gave it a shot, and while i would say the game play is every similar, the story is much different. It is much darker and i think this is a good thing because it makes Lara a little more believable thenI never really liked TR so i was a little unsure about jumping into this one. However i heard it was compared to uncharted, which is one of my all time favorite game franchises. So i gave it a shot, and while i would say the game play is every similar, the story is much different. It is much darker and i think this is a good thing because it makes Lara a little more believable then Drake. I will say though that the Multi player is weak! not saying Uncharted's is STRONG but it is stronger then this. Very tacked on. Expand
  88. Mar 20, 2013
    Best game ever, graphics are incredible, I give this an 8 because im grading it as a whole, Single player story mode is a 10/10 but as for multiplayer it sucks. But definitly get this game it really is worth $60.
  89. Mar 20, 2013
    "TOMB RAIDER is an excellent reboot of a gaming icon that proudly celebrates the character that started the action genre to begin with. Lara Croft is a strong, believable & badass character that proves there’s room for the opposite gender in a genre overpopulated by male action heroes.

It’s a brutal game that showcases a young woman braving the elements to survive & become the character that fans worldwide have loved for years. It’s not only a fantastic action adventure game with beautiful environments, music & game design but a compelling character piece that proves that this is a series to watch out for.

TOMB RAIDER is a bloody good time, anyone looking for a great semi-open world adventure should definitely look into this. It’s amazing."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfkoZaI
  90. Sep 29, 2013
    When i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell youWhen i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell you that i was DEAD WRONG!! Tomb Raider is an absolutely amazing game that as much as it pains me to say it definitely puts Uncharted to shame! Everything in this game from the story to the graphics, the locations and the characters is all breathtaking. If you haven't played this title yet do yourself a favor and go pick it up! Without a doubt one of my contenders for game of the year Expand
  91. Mar 30, 2013
    This was a very fun game a few things that could have done better in the campaign like add more guys shooting while you are trying to find objects ect.... The biggest compliant I have with the game are the glitches and bugs in the multi player, OMG it is awful, and that is an understatement!
  92. Apr 12, 2013
    the only thing bad about this game is that its to short the rest was amazing I love the new lara croft and I hope to see more the expressions on her face were amazing she reacted to death and pain like any normal person would great game must play
  93. May 1, 2013
    Muy buen juego la verdad al estar jugando la campaña me senti muy emocionado y a la ves lleno de furia al estar luchando y sobresaliendo con lara croft. Tomb Raider regreso perfectamente bien y mas que eso
  94. Oct 21, 2013
    A piece of art. It's a game of adventure and action, and it has some puzzles to test your intelligence.
    there are many obstacles that Lara faces witch makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the game a lot!
  95. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10. Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  96. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  97. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the gameEven though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  98. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was never huge fan of the tomb raider franchise, but after reading so many reviews of the game and hearing all the critical acclaim about it, i had to check it out. needless to say, i wasnt at all disappointed. though i am not too familiar with prior work crystal dynamics has done before, this game stands out in the puzzle/action genre that i hope future games of its kind will model itself after. the graphics and visual aspects of the game, the sound design and replay value of the game is awesome.

over the course of roughly 2 weeks since i first recieved the game, i beat the game in about 3 or 4 days, with a final completion score of 82%. i would play the game for a couple of hours at a time, and always looked forward to coming back to it. the game is in fact an origin story. that is, provides an interesting idea of how lara croft did became the strong survivalist character we identify with her as a being pop culture icon we know her as today. The game is developed by Crystal Dynamics. to my knowledge, they havent done anything previously that has really stood out to me in the gaming industry (though if anyone wishes to suggest a game of theirs i should check out, please do). they have done a truly great job with the game. the overall visual design of the game is absolutely beautiful and the play mechanics of controlling Lara are smooth, clean and precise.. the sound design captures the immersive environment incredibly well varying from a thick jungle to a sprawling mountain town with accompanying various changes of realistic weather as you progress through the game. the combat, which drives about 75% of the gameplay, borrows subtle incredients from the recent Resident Evil games we've seen in recent years and is fluid, engaging and thanks to the rich various different environments, i never found dull.

if you appreciate the more technical aspects of current gen games, the game has a lot of great visual effects that add to the overall experience which one would really appreciate, not to also mention things like realistic destructible cover during the intense shoot out scenes and its environments, ragdoll physics mechanics with the bodies of enemies as they hurl through the air during explosions and the like. overall, these elements done so amazingly well help to drive a fun game play experience.

the game has a compelling storyline with a few subtle plot twists, and it is easy to identify with lara as a protagonist. this game is rated 'M' for mature and for good reason. Lara gets bloodied, beaten up and in an extreme capacity that would make even the most hardened gamer or even horror movie fan of gore cringe occasionally. the game is of course an adventure/shooter game with lots of shoot-out set pieces. it offers lots of use of weapons for lara to find and learn to use anything from a pick axe,a pistols, machine guns and even (my favourite) the awesome bow and arrow. this game offers a warm welcome to such a primitive weapon. it's fun to use and being able to pull off headshots is just incredibly satisfying.

one thing i of course must mention is the puzzle solving aspect to the game. the puzzles arent as heavily placed in prior games. in fact, they are entirely optional to pursue. you can get by without engaging in any of them which are found in tombs placed all throughout the game, but ignoring them completely even on a second playthrough would be discouraged. the rewards from solving these puzzles rewards Lara very generously with bonus XP and that is always a great thing! on a personal note though, i felt that they often slowed down the pace of the game and as i came across these tombs, i really debated with myself if i really wanted to do them at all.

as said earlier, the story line is engaging and rarely has a dull moment. the action never lets up, and is a great game that offers the player tons of replay value to return back to previous locales to look for any outstanding secret areas. i cant see this as game that too many people will be returning, trading or selling for something else in the long term. i recommend this to anyone who likes the puzzle/adventure games but also enjoys the intense action of 3rd person shooter. This Tomb Raider game has in some ways set the bar for future games of its kind to model after.

i would happily rate this as one of the top 10 games for 2013.
  99. May 5, 2014
    The reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. AwesomeThe reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. Awesome stuff. The only downside is having to wait for the sequel. Expand
  100. Apr 7, 2013
    MUCH MORE BETTER THAN ALL UNCHARTED TITLE xd
    so...i think pc version is all better than console version, but this Tomb raider is an a graphical adventure finally we can see gory scenes and violent, something completely neglected in the past. in my opinion a great game, but to just buy used. not worth 70 for 11 hours of adventure
  101. Jun 18, 2013

Not a traditional TR game, but as an action game, it's great!

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]