Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.4

1. May 28, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    It probably would not appeal very much to all the die-hard fans of the original games, specially when this current gameplay is compared to the one of the original Tomb Raider I, II and III (the third one being my favorite): Traps almost non existing, way less wolves and any other wild animal to fight, and quite simple puzzles. So, if you were a massive fan of this aspects of the old Tomb Raider, probably this is not the game for you. BUT the stunning complexity of the environment, the great gun fights that this game has really make it up for it! A really compelling story, a new "real" 20-year-old Lara, a good Voice acting make this new start as a great starting point for what could be a real threat to the Uncharted franchise.
  2. Apr 12, 2013
    This is not your traditional Tomb Raider. Puzzles are scarce and too easy to figure out. However, the game play and graphics are amazing. Great stealth and combat mechanics, and the island is beautiful and fun to explore. Don't listen to the whiners complaining about it not being a "Tomb Raider" game. Most of these people don't want to see games improve or evolve. They think the old isThis is not your traditional Tomb Raider. Puzzles are scarce and too easy to figure out. However, the game play and graphics are amazing. Great stealth and combat mechanics, and the island is beautiful and fun to explore. Don't listen to the whiners complaining about it not being a "Tomb Raider" game. Most of these people don't want to see games improve or evolve. They think the old is automatically better than the new. I am fan of the old school Tomb Raider games, but I love this new approach and game play as well. I would have given the game a 10, but they don't do a good job a repopulating the island with enemies after you cleared it thereby hurting its replay value. Expand
  3. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is my 2nd favorite game of 2013. the only reason it is in 2nd is because of the multiplayer, but let's not talk about one of it's failures, let's talk about all it's successes. A reboot can be one of two things, it can ruin everything new and creative, or it can be a welcome addition to a series that was dying. This one was the welcome addition. With Uncharted-like platforming, aThis game is my 2nd favorite game of 2013. the only reason it is in 2nd is because of the multiplayer, but let's not talk about one of it's failures, let's talk about all it's successes. A reboot can be one of two things, it can ruin everything new and creative, or it can be a welcome addition to a series that was dying. This one was the welcome addition. With Uncharted-like platforming, a stellar story, fantastic combat, great stealth sections, and a robust world where you will just want to explore every nook and cranny, it is hard to see where Tomb Raider falls flat. But, it does have one minor flaw, the supporting cast. These guys are just boring, except for maybe Roth. But the rest of this origin story, you feel like Lara Croft. To when an airplane crashes and you have to get away from it, to falling out of a and parachuting through a thick array of trees, this is one origin story you won't want to miss! Lara Croft is an especially great character to play because I have never felt this much caring for a character in gaming since master chief! As for the story, it's nothing we haven't seen before, but it is used differently than the actual times we have seen it. The combat and stealth sections are fast-paced, and the AI isn't just going to let you stay in cover and poke your head out and shoot them. They throw Molotov shoot fire arrows to draw you out of cover and finish you off. They will also make their own cover with tables and other objects. This sounds like it makes for very difficult combat, but for the guns you have, and the specialty arrows at your disposal, they are no match. The stealth section come with this wonderful passive cover system where, when appropriate, Lara will duck in cover to hide from enemies. So if you want a great origin story with one of the most iconic video-game characters ever, this is your game. Expand
  4. Apr 7, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Finished the campaign in one stretch, couldn't stop playing. Get playing, starts of a bit slow, then gains pace, and the features in the game are amazing.
  5. Apr 8, 2013
    This game in every respect out-does Uncharted and is the best platformer I have played to date! Large set pieces and tight controls make for one of the best feeling and looking platforming to date and the third person shooting (archery) is in no way neglected, all weapons handle well and feel good. But by far the best part of the game is the beautifully done pacing. Gradually improvingThis game in every respect out-does Uncharted and is the best platformer I have played to date! Large set pieces and tight controls make for one of the best feeling and looking platforming to date and the third person shooting (archery) is in no way neglected, all weapons handle well and feel good. But by far the best part of the game is the beautifully done pacing. Gradually improving your weapon and gear, building upon your arsenal feels brilliant.

The Character of Lara Croft is one done extremely well. From the look of the character (thankfully absent of triangular breasts) to the story and development of Lara is compelling and fun.

However the game has some flaws. Besides Lara characters were boring and annoying the large amounts of time Lara was alone were treasured because of this. There were also a maddeningly small amount of "Secret Tombs".

But this should all be looked past when considering the standard this game is on. It should be held among the likes of Uncharted as one of the best platformers.
  6. Apr 11, 2013
    Brilliant game, excellent visuals, fantastic voice acting and an engaging plot. The new Tomb Raider shows how Lara Croft became the heroine that we all used to love. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because the multiplayer seemed a bit familiar, it reminded me of Uncharted. This isn't a bad thing though, I had a lot of fun with it.
  7. Apr 11, 2013
    Very enjoyable game, great story, beautiful environment, the actions and killing sequences are amazing, the different weapons and their upgrades are really helpful during all history, definitely the Bow is the best weapon, just love it!!!
  8. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, andThis game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, and that is hard for me to say because uncharted was pretty good. Buy it if you like these kind of games. Rent it if you are not sure. Expand
  9. Apr 21, 2013
    One of the best games ive played in a while,couldnt put the controller down from the start to the finish.The story line is great the charactors are very well done.The gameplay is fanatasic the controlls are responsive and maped extremely good.The weapon system is not as good as some other games but that donest take anything away from this game.You can all out and try and shoot everyone orOne of the best games ive played in a while,couldnt put the controller down from the start to the finish.The story line is great the charactors are very well done.The gameplay is fanatasic the controlls are responsive and maped extremely good.The weapon system is not as good as some other games but that donest take anything away from this game.You can all out and try and shoot everyone or in most parts you can sneak around carefully to your objective.I would highly recommend this game. Expand
  10. Apr 27, 2013
    A brilliant game and a perfect way to reboot a classic character with a twist. I personally prefer the new Lara's character to the original but fans of the classic Lara will still manage to gain a lot of enjoyment from this. Looking forward to a sequel in a few years time.
  11. May 5, 2013
    Well I may be a little late to the party but I figured there may be still a few gamers out there who have not picked up this game and I wish to tell you that you should do just that. With Crystal Dynamics rebooting the franchise, it was only natural that anew story would follow. Wold it be a sequel or a re-telling? To everyone's surprise it was actually a prequel set years before Lara wasWell I may be a little late to the party but I figured there may be still a few gamers out there who have not picked up this game and I wish to tell you that you should do just that. With Crystal Dynamics rebooting the franchise, it was only natural that anew story would follow. Wold it be a sequel or a re-telling? To everyone's surprise it was actually a prequel set years before Lara was running around with her dual pistols and raiding tombs.

The story seems to be rather generic at first glance. Lara is setting out to "make her mark" as she tries to find the lost island of Yamatai which has seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth fro thousands of years. Lara has a hunch that the island is located inside the Dragon's Triangle, which is a treacherous part of ocean that has claimed many lives. Lara then convinces the expedition crew Dr. Whittman. who is the star archeologist who is trying to get his career back on track. Sam, Lara's best friend and camera enthusiast. Sam believes she is related to the first Sun Queen of Yamatai, Himiko who ruled Yamatai long ago. Jonah, the muscle of the group who is caring yet tough individual who looks out for everyone. Reyes, an African American woman tagging along with Roth, Lara's Father's friend who Lara sees as a father figure in her life. That leaves Alex, who is another traveler and Grim, the boat's captain. Lara ultimately convinces them and when they are deep inside the Dragon's Triangle, a sudden storm hits the ship, tearing it in half causing Lara to fall into the ocean and wake up on a mysterious island. With her crew and friends scattered around the island and her best friend is than captured by the islands natives Lara must find a way to get off the island while saving her friends in the process.

When first washing up on the island you are greeted with Lara hanging upside down in a cave. As you cut yourself down you are immediately shown a gruesome image of Lara's side being impaled onto what looks to be a sharp pole or stick on the ground. This is one of Tomb Raider's greatest strengths in my opinion. the way Lara shows so much emotion when she is hurt or dies, really makes me feel bad and sorry for what I did to her. I would try my best not have her get hurt or die, just so I wouldn't have to watch her suffer. this is one of the those games that makes you feel for the character you are playing as and not just some digital person on screen. With all of that aside, the environments in this game are spectacular to look at and varied. From staggering cliffs, snow covered mountains and lush forests teeming with life, this game really makes you feel as if the island is real somewhere out there in the world somewhere. Killing different animals to survive and climbing up cliffs and walking through rivers and streams just makes the island feel that much more alive. Throughout the island there are tombs and collectables to obtain as you progress through the story, from ancient artifacts, GPS caches and journals left by current and previous survivors, make back tracking essential. Sometimes certain equipment is needed to reach a certain area but will not be made available to you until you progress further along in the story.

The time around Lara has many tools, weapons and equipment at her disposal in order to get around. A handgun, shotgun and bow and rifle are some of the weapons Lara can use to smite her enemies. To which all can be upgraded by the use of salvage which is found all over the island in crates, chests and dead bodies that Lara loots. The bow is extremely useful in combat as it is outside of combat. Being able to shoot ropes later in the game to pull down structures, create rope bridges and pull enemies off cliffs is great fun and makes the bow are very versatile weapon.

The upgrade/leveling systems is very easy to understand and very straight forward. With kills, looting and other actions, Lara will gain XP which then will accumulate to a level up which will give Lara is skill point to use and camp sites and camp fires to acquire new skills, such as counter kills or being able to find extra salvage on enemies when looting. Upgrading weapons through salvage is as simple as having the right amount of salvage to purchase the upgrade.

Now for the negative aspects. I found myself dying alot due to clunky climbing as automatic death areas where Lara would die if a certain part of the water was fallen into. During the game quick time events are placed in which does have a timing to get used to which will result in a few cheap deaths here or there, but thanks to a great checkpoint system this isn't a huge issue. The cover system sometimes doesn't work and Lara stands out in the open taking bullets until she finally collapses and dies. On PS3 at least, frame rates would seem to drop in certain portions of the game but would fix in others.

This is fantastic reboot and I look forward to what CD will do next with this series so give it a try.
  12. Apr 29, 2013
    Having been a fan of the original Tomb Raider series on PS1, I was a little skeptical that this reboot would work out. Visually I was appalled when the new Dante was released on the new DMC game, but on the reverse, look what Star Trek did with the original series concept (by the way I'm talking about the movie and not the horrendous video game). On trailers and artwork, Laura certainlyHaving been a fan of the original Tomb Raider series on PS1, I was a little skeptical that this reboot would work out. Visually I was appalled when the new Dante was released on the new DMC game, but on the reverse, look what Star Trek did with the original series concept (by the way I'm talking about the movie and not the horrendous video game). On trailers and artwork, Laura certainly looked gorgeous, and the trailers were definitely spot on, but how would the game fare? Well I'm glad to say that the game really surpassed my expectations, thought there are a few caveats. Laura is definitely more vulnerable as compared to the original iterations of herself. She is at first squeemish at taking a life of an animal, let alone the life of another human, however the game rapidly forces you to overlook this, and by the end of the game, you are a killing machine. Mathias, by the games end, even remarks that there is little difference between Lara and himself, that they both "killed" to survive the island. Its a rapid transition, and there could have been more development in this area. Another qualm is that the game is very "linear" in the strict sense of the word, though the game does a great job of covering that aspect by letting you "choose" which order to pursue tasks and missions. You can even side trek at your own pace, despite the game making statements to pursue on. I guess in that sense, there really isn't a sense of urgency in the game. You may know your friend is in trouble, but there is no timer or anything to indicate you need to move your ass faster... and you can even explore a tomb without affecting the major plot line. That was kind lame. Keep in mind while you have the quasi-freedom to chose which area you wish to visit first, the story line is linear, though it may allow you to delay the story progression with side-quests. There are no multiple endings here, just one ending for everyone, just as long as you finish the story arc. There is really minimal incentive to play the game over again, unless you really want to unlock the "bonus content" for the game. By the way most of the videos that are "unlocked" can be found on gametrailers.com or youtube, so what's the point? The concept art is great, but is it enough to prompt me to play the game a second try? No. On the positive side, I really enjoyed the back story on Himiko and historical background. I was literally on my seat's edge trying to figure out what happened on that island and try to get an explanation of that mysterious weather phenomena. The secondary characters where, however, for the most part very forgettable. They really tried to force a multiethnic cast on us. Why did they make the black character, the stereotypical "angry black woman?" Yeah I know her name is Reyes, which I assume would qualify her as latino as well. I;m upset because the stereotype is popular in the media. Just look at "The Real Housewives of Atlanta" and "Basketball Wives." In any case, these qualms aside, the game was definitely a great "origin story" and did the franchise justice. Aside from the linearity, the only other major pitfall was replayability. The multiplayer mode, while definitely a welcome addition to the predominantly "first player only" type game, was not well developed, and seemed more like an afterthought, than a planned inclusion into the original game. Now square-enix really had the opportunity to shine here, but the results were kinda underwhelming. I mean I wasn't expecting halo or anything, but they resort to trying to emulate the big guns like bungie and electronic arts and not quite meet the goal. Maybe a better strategy would be to play the alternate characters throughout the game, perhaps with a different focus. Sam for example wouldn't have been a good gun slinger, but maybe she could be used for more of the puzzle solving aspects of the game. I'm curious how they could have used Alex for some mathematical or engineering puzzle. Roth could have been used as an alternative gunslinger. I can't help but think of the resident evil series and how they allowed you to play as 2 separate characters, allowing the story to merge at the end. Anyways those are just some suggestions I had to make the game a little more "replayable". That aside, I think that the final product was definitely worth the money spent on the purchase. The main drawbacks of the game are the replayability, the forgettable secondary characters and lack of their development, linearity and crappy multiplayer mode. On the plus side, there is an awesome story line, the freedom to chose which paths you take overshadow some of the linearity of the gameplay, great backstory, spot-on voice acting, cool combat scenarios (a-la uncharted style), and great development of lara as a character, really pull you through this game. Overall this game is an 8 of 10, and definitely merits a playthrough Expand
  13. Apr 29, 2013
    I love this game and its my GOTY for what it is.... However its not TR. Even their Final Hours Episode stated it that the central idea was going to be COMBAT in big capital letters. And everything else in this game would be a afterthought and revolve around that central idea. This was in order to acquire a new fan-base I would assume. And get the COD kids to play the game for their actionI love this game and its my GOTY for what it is.... However its not TR. Even their Final Hours Episode stated it that the central idea was going to be COMBAT in big capital letters. And everything else in this game would be a afterthought and revolve around that central idea. This was in order to acquire a new fan-base I would assume. And get the COD kids to play the game for their action fix, in CD's own words.

TR has been my #1 favorite title since it first came out. And in all honesty POP started the whole riddle and puzzle solving genre even before TR. But that's what I played it for was the problem solving aspect. Sure the combat was laughable and mechanical in all the others but that was never what that genre was suppose to be completely about. There are enough combat and story driven games out there to make your head spin as is. When I put in this TR I feel like I just exited out of SOTL to load TR and play SOTL as Lara. I do like shooters dont get me wrong however I like variety and the TR series has always given me one of those other options. Its sad to see it move away from its roots like that. Some claim that this game still had the tombs and puzzles etc. It didn't I had a harder time putting the square peg in the square hole in kindergarten then the things that needed solving in this game. And those things were few and far between anyways.

This game was a completely story and combat driven game with so much hand holding I wanted to scream. QTE's really? I saw that in FC3 and was horrified I honestly thought the QTE fad died out several years ago, whats next bell-bottoms? And the Eagle-Vision at least AC had a excuse that you were in a VR world and it was computer generated vision. TR Reboot is suppose to be real life so to speak. Besides you dont need it anyhow theres so many visual cues there is no possible way to really overlook anything. And the annoying pop ups telling you step by step what to do anyhow was the icing on the cake.

Honestly I am tired of complaining about this game. I just watched my favorite title disappear so the COD kids could have another toy to throw into their toybox. I dont mind the combat as anyone who's played the rest knows its been in all of them I simply think they need to tone it down and lean back towards their roots and what this genre of game is suppose to be about, problem solving. Not scripted non-stop combat sequences.

Other then the fact IMO its no longer in anyway TR anymore only in title, it did have a great story, excellent graphics, the physics and mechanics are a vast and much needed improvement, the combats most would say its improved however in reality its no better then a generic shooter it sticks you in a invisible box you cant escape until the fights over and the fights are highly scripted I can tell you were every guy is going to run where they are going to take cover what order they are are going to shot at you and which of them are linked such as you kill one and the one hes linked to runs to his next scripted cover so really the combat system is a generic TPS.

This game I feel improved on just about everything that the older TR's lacked and were in desperate need of being improved such as the physics and mechanics however they seem to have forgotten to add anything that TR is famous for and what built the franchise into what it is. They left out TR's essence its soul so to speak. So this game is a great Action Adventure Shooter but if your expecting a TR game well might as well just load up an older one because this is isn't it. Hopefully if they come out with a sequel to this they go back to the older style if they dont I feel TR will no longer be TR or salvageable in any way it will be to far gone to come back.
  14. Apr 30, 2013
    Utter brilliance. Only slightly falls down on some of the bizarre/unbelievable character reactions to story twists. But this sets a new high in 3rd person adventures games and beats Uncharted for my money (much more fun).
  15. May 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Read many reviews and the majority gave this game a good score but there was also a few mixed reviews too. My expectations were so so, but ended up enjoying this game. It has elements of the Batman games with the survival vision to help you out, it also features weapons upgrades and button bashing similar to resident evil 4 with the all rounder feel of the uncharted series, climbing,jumping,searching for treasure with a few decent puzzles in there too. The graphics are spot on too probably the best I've seen on the playstation 3! The only odd flaw which doesn't really affect me is the zip lining, when trying to zip line downhill the x button is the action button but is also the jump button so try to attach to the rope on a cliff edge can be dangerous! That small quirk aside this game is a great and hopefully there will be a sequel in the works. Expand
  16. May 6, 2013
    The game was fun enough to keep me playing, but I would not say it as good as some say and especially not as good as rival franchise Uncharted. The locations are bland and repetitive whilst the majority of the characters are not very interesting at all. The multiplayer is clearly tacked on and not very enjoyable in the slightest.
    However, I did like the XP and weapon upgrading, and the
    However, I did like the XP and weapon upgrading, and the combat was good enough to get me through the dull and dreary setting.
  17. May 12, 2013
    The men and women at Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix became aware that Tomb Raider in its past form had arguable become stale and boring. They felt that a retelling of the treasure hunter’s story was needed, if the franchise were to survive. They seem to have done just that.
    When we first take control of Lara, of course we realise the trouble she is in, but because she is so well realised and voice acted, we genuinely care for her wellbeing. We believe the pain she is in, and when the “over the top” death scenes are encountered; they are downright shocking and disturbing. You want to take care of this young woman throughout her journey of discovery and horror.
    The support characters unfortunately remain stereotypical and in some cases, unlikeable. You have your large, muscly Samoan whom is deeply in touch with his roots and is seen as a gentle giant, a hostile and rude mechanic whom you begin to have a severe distaste to, and the “nerdy” guy whom wishes he was more than he currently is. There are a few characters who you take a liking to; for instance Roth, who acts as the father figure for our heroine, but many are largely forgettable.
    The game is in itself, gorgeous. The engine clearly pushes the boundaries of the current consoles, and the developers have worked overtime to create a world that looks and feels real. From the rustling of the trees to the weather system which when present, adds to the tension felt, it all allows for a place where you just want to stop and admire. However, some of the game’s best moments when Lara is in extreme peril, attempting to escape from a burning building or trying to outrun a series of explosions caused by the ever more hostile enemies encountered during the game.
    Tomb Raider allows a mildly open world option. Lara travels from location to location in a linear fashion, but along the way she unlocks camp fires, which can be used to upgrade her abilities and weapons. As the game progresses, these abilities become more prominent, so the combat never becomes dull. When Lara does travel to a new location and unlock new camp fires, she is able to fast travel to old areas, to attempt to collect relics left behind by past civilisations, documents, offering insight and a history to the strange island she has found herself on, or discovering and exploring tombs.
    The tombs offer a nice change of pace from the wall to wall combat featured. These involve traversing through underground caverns and solving relatively simple puzzles in order to gain the salvage necessary to upgrade Lara’s weapons. They are on the whole enjoyable and remind the player that the main protagonist is a treasure hunter at heart, rather than a warrior.
    Even though the combat could be seen as being a generic third person shooter, the weapons in the game are satisfying to use and never tend to become boring. Because they can be upgraded, the sound and weight of them changes. The pistol becomes more and more powerful as the game progresses and numerous changes to each weapon, concerning its reload speed, damage and accuracy can be bought. However it has to be said that the stand out weapon is the long bow, which always makes you feel like a bad ass; when you are able to pull off a headshot at long range without anyone noticing, or stopping a charging enemy dead in his tracks.
    Tomb Raider is a great testament to how a franchise can rebound, when it had for all tense of purposes, stalled. Crystal Dynamics have created a vast, believable and beautiful world which is a true joy to explore. They have allowed for the blossoming of a likeable and believable main protagonist whom you offer genuine sympathy. It isn’t a game without its flaws. The collectibles aren’t that enjoyable and don’t offer much incentive, although they do offer an interesting insight to the history of the island, the supporting characters are unlikable and while is cannot be ignored that the multiplayer mode isn’t all what people wanted and could be seen as a disappointment, it is a small downside to an otherwise captivating experience that should not be missed.
  18. May 12, 2013
    This tomb raider reboot is beautiful, and has a very interesting story that will grab you're attention from the very beginning, and won't let you go until the end. The story is great and you really start feeling for the character's by the end of the game. But they are really just there to be rescued, and give the player an excuse to continue onward. This game might have the most realisticThis tomb raider reboot is beautiful, and has a very interesting story that will grab you're attention from the very beginning, and won't let you go until the end. The story is great and you really start feeling for the character's by the end of the game. But they are really just there to be rescued, and give the player an excuse to continue onward. This game might have the most realistic character in gaming, ever. Not by the graphic even thought she also looks the most realistic ever) but by her interaction with the environment, and how genuine it feels.
    The multiplayer on the other hand is very stale, and basic. I managed to player 3 or 4 rounds before i got so bored i just stopped, and i asume the servers will be nearly empty every time you try to play online, since no one will want to continue playing this stale, and boring multiplayer.
  19. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty,This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  20. May 18, 2013
    I wonder why people always want frustrating, unfriendly video games. I think the compromise the developers devised is perfect. There is no reason for a developer to throw you in a situation you cannot possibly figure out given the limitations of video games. It is either you think what they were thinking or you keep trying until you, by virtue of pure chance, come across the answer. ThisI wonder why people always want frustrating, unfriendly video games. I think the compromise the developers devised is perfect. There is no reason for a developer to throw you in a situation you cannot possibly figure out given the limitations of video games. It is either you think what they were thinking or you keep trying until you, by virtue of pure chance, come across the answer. This game gives you just enough tips to keep it entertaining without diluting the experience. So long, tips & tricks. We don't need you. It is so interesting to see the evolution of Lara. Great game! Expand
  21. May 19, 2013
    a complete refresh to the Tomb Raider franchise which was needed in my opinion more user friendly and a spectacular reboot great story gameplay soundtrack and design....... could have done without the multiplayer with a focus on maybe a few more tombs but none the less looking forward to more adventures in the future!!!!
  22. May 20, 2013
    As someone who really wasn't that interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, I was really impressed by this game. Its hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about so I'll quickly list off what I liked: 1. The Lara Croft character is great and I viewed her as a female John Mclain from Die Hard. 2. The graphics are fantastic and the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay areAs someone who really wasn't that interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, I was really impressed by this game. Its hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about so I'll quickly list off what I liked: 1. The Lara Croft character is great and I viewed her as a female John Mclain from Die Hard. 2. The graphics are fantastic and the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay are near seamless. 3. The actual Tomb Raiding was really fun and it was nice to seem them put them in, although I wish there was a lot more of them. 4. The intensity of the violence compliments the game unlike it did for Bioshock infinite. 5. The progression system was fun and some upgrades really did help out and came when they needed to. There are morei things I could say but those were the ones I liked to lay out. I did not play the multiplayer but based on the word of mouth it doesn't seem worth commenting on. I still fully give this game my highest recommendation even if the multiplayer content is lackluster as the single-player campaign more than justifies a 60$ price tag Expand
  23. May 21, 2013
    This is a awesome reboot of Tomb Raider! Now we have a more human Lara, more realistic story context and a great "hero journey"! I'm a Uncharted and Lost die-hard fan, I love mythology, mysteries, puzzles and rpg, so this Tomb Raider is one of the best games I ever played in my life. I hope they make many many sequels!
  24. Jun 6, 2013
    Tomb Raider is lucky it's fun, because it suffers from a completely all over the place tone. The story to the game is actually quite good, even if it is abit predictable, and the character of Lara Croft is sympathetic and very well voiced, horrible things happen to her, she's impaled by nails, nearly raped, lost all her friends and is being hunted. I was very unsettled by all this in theTomb Raider is lucky it's fun, because it suffers from a completely all over the place tone. The story to the game is actually quite good, even if it is abit predictable, and the character of Lara Croft is sympathetic and very well voiced, horrible things happen to her, she's impaled by nails, nearly raped, lost all her friends and is being hunted. I was very unsettled by all this in the start of the game, and then she has to kill a man and she just breaks down, but then here's where the problem comes in, 2 minutes later I'm murdering people left right and centre and she's not phased. This did annoy me quite a bit and there are some other contrast issues between the game and it's story, I'm pleased to say that the game is saved by it's solid gameplay mechanics, the bow was so satisfying to use, and the climbing was really fun too. The game is also gorgeous and animations are very smooth. It is a solid game but it wasn't the gritty survival story I was hoping for. Expand
  25. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a really good game. It finally made me like Lara Croft and Tomb Raider games. It had good game-play, a good story, pretty graphics, and a cool island to explore. The only thing i was disappointed with was the fact I wanted it to last longer. I wanted more tombs to raid, more weapons to find and collect, to upgrade, more of everything. Instead of the crappy mulitplayer they gave us.
  26. Jun 9, 2013
    I was a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider, especially on the PS1. It brings back memories of me and my sister playing through them, fighting a dinosaur, doing speed runs on the gymnastics course or locking the butler in the freezer. But when Lara Croft took a dive into the PS2, I kind of got bored. Then with the early PS3 games I got put off, I didn't want to play them, in an attitude of 'been thereI was a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider, especially on the PS1. It brings back memories of me and my sister playing through them, fighting a dinosaur, doing speed runs on the gymnastics course or locking the butler in the freezer. But when Lara Croft took a dive into the PS2, I kind of got bored. Then with the early PS3 games I got put off, I didn't want to play them, in an attitude of 'been there and done that'. But I heard they was rebooting the franchise, my honest first thought was why? Why reboot a franchise which is failing to be a hit with fans? But I brought it only to be convinced that this is a HUGE step forward for Tomb Raider and Tomb Raiding fans like myself. They managed to bring the game to a new high with it's smooth controls, an interesting story and a new kick ass Lara Croft, which will make you want to play the game through.

I'm yet to explore the full extent of the game, but I didn't feel as though it was free roaming or had great roaming possibilities. It felt as though you could go off and explore yes, but I felt I was more pushed to go through the story. It didn't have enough TO explore. I mean there are great tombs which you can go into and solve the great puzzles in them and get a nice reward at the end. But it feels as though it's more A to B to get to them and there's not enough of them. But I understand they focused more on the story and honestly don't be put off by that, the story is great and you'll hear this all the time, but you do go through Lara's experience with her. At the start she blames herself for the misfortune that's happened to the group, only to be forced to get tougher and then become the leader, helping the group. The smooth controls and a nice cover system which is similar to that of Naughty Dogs Uncharted, but it compliments with this game really well. You find yourself using stealth, killing off enemies one by one to make it easier for the full dogfight, which will have you on your toes. You won't be able to stay in one place and keep shooting, or waiting to recover. No, the AI move in towards you, forcing you to go in for hand to hand combat or running to another spot for cover.

The graphics are amazing, a lot of detail was put into this game and I hope so for the next. Whether you're going through the jungle or inside the caves, this game is great to look at. Lara herself is gorgeous, they really done a good job in satisfying the new fans and old fans of the franchise. And you start to get close to the characters a little, not much though, but enough to keep interest with the story. And it'll be nice to see if they stick with them characters to develop them more in the next game.

The weapons are good enough and I actually ended up using the bow more, which is ridiculously overpowered. But you need it, believe me. You can upgrade weapons (I recommend upgrading the bow) and unlike most games it does help. You can have flaming arrows, having your shotgun do more range, having a silenced pistol and a lot more.

Even so it was still tough, brutal at times, I played through on hard and it certainly was. Which was great, don't expect to be a pro at this game as you'll find yourself dying, a lot. The controls are great, the AI was better than most other games I've played recently and it was really fun to play. I love the little artifacts you can find with their own little story, but I didn't really find myself making an effort to find them, it was more if I found them along the way. The leveling up is a great new addition, there are 3 different types, the first is the survivor skill, making Lara better at salvaging, giving you extra bonuses picking items up, orienteering which will make Lara see more hidden rewards or having better climbing ability. There's the hunter skill, so Lara is better with weapons giving you that extra firepower, which is really needed in the game. And you have a brawler skill, so Lara is better at dodging, hand to hand combats, taking hits and you can even throw dirt in the enemies face, giving you time to strike or run for cover. But towards the end you end up getting most of them, so it's not if you want to be good at one or the other, it's more which one do you want first. So it's not really unique or strategical. But it didn't really matter, it takes nothing away from the game. In fact I understand it, as Lara becomes this overall badass package.

Negatives. Needs more tombs to explore. No replay value, I wanted to keep playing it but when I finished it, that was it. I didn't have any need to play it again, or even to just go on it and roam. I think the idea is there though, they are going in the right direction and it'll be tough to see what they do next, more exploration is needed though! The final boss battles, both of them were terrible, lazy and boring. I hate QTE's. Luckily it didn't ruin the experience enough to deduct any points.

It's a really good game. I would defiantly recommend it. Great reboot, bring on Tomb Raider 2!
  27. Jun 16, 2013
    Story-wise, this is by far the best Tomb Raider game to come out since the first 3 games. However, on a technological level, this is the best game in the series.
    Crystal Dynamics "Core Team" really outdid themselves with this one. Highly recommended title.
    Great story. Great level up system to upgrade equipment. Tight controls. Lots of secrets to find with exploration. My primary

My primary genre is JRPGs, but this is by far the best action game released in many years. It gives one a true sense of outdoor survival.

Did I say tight controls? Well, they're very tight.
  28. Jun 21, 2013
    A great game, a creepy and interesting story, some of the most enjoyable 3rd person gameplay I've ever played. The thing that I really like about it though is the hellish and painful journey that Lara put through here. Seriously though some crappy stuff happens on this island which she is marooned on and a lot of the game is incredibly brutal so if thats not your thing then I would go forA great game, a creepy and interesting story, some of the most enjoyable 3rd person gameplay I've ever played. The thing that I really like about it though is the hellish and painful journey that Lara put through here. Seriously though some crappy stuff happens on this island which she is marooned on and a lot of the game is incredibly brutal so if thats not your thing then I would go for a game like Uncharted instead. Expand
  29. Jun 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic game and a perfect reboot for the franchise. I'll def. compare this to Uncharted, but then again Tomb Raider started it all. Love the story, the atmosphere/brutality, upgrading weapons the action and the pace. I gave this game an 8 on the fact that even though I enjoyed it, I don't feel myself wanting to play it again or keep it after a rent. There's not a lot ofTomb Raider is a fantastic game and a perfect reboot for the franchise. I'll def. compare this to Uncharted, but then again Tomb Raider started it all. Love the story, the atmosphere/brutality, upgrading weapons the action and the pace. I gave this game an 8 on the fact that even though I enjoyed it, I don't feel myself wanting to play it again or keep it after a rent. There's not a lot of replay value and all your weapon upgrades are void once you start a new campaign. The developers added an open world feel to the game. Personally, I feel this takes away from the story and the overall excitement, as this is the case (personally) with other games such as Arkham City. All side mission, hunting, exploration (tombs) are necessary for you to level up, find upgrades and make the overall game easier. When you focus on these in between the story missions it almost feels tedious. The flow of the narrative is interrupted and you feel a certain disconnect from the story. Expand
  30. Aug 29, 2013
    Well first to say, I'm not a fan of the saga. In fact, the game didn't actually got my attention. I bought it to my girlfriend and I played with her for some hours... I wasn't really enjoying too much. One day I decided to complete the game in one afternoon and pass this out.... but then I realized, It was not a bad game at all.
    All the repetitive tasks you do are beautifully hide bellow
    All the repetitive tasks you do are beautifully hide bellow the diferent enviroments you'll find. Yes, you have to do the same over and over, but, somehow... It's ok.
    This may be one of those games that... were created from other games. So... yes, it's uncharted legacy at the time you have to run up bridges, escaping while they collapse, and the piolet....excuses to climb mountains. But I enjoyed uncharted a lot, and I like to see a game with the same characteristics, not involving Nathan drake, I love uncharted 3, but I really think the saga needs to stay down for a bit, and get new fresh ideas. Meanwhile, let's enjoy with young lara.
    Technically, is a very good game. Graphics are ok. I am happy to see the good versions on PC, PC version may be even at the same level of uncharted. But uncharted has this...magic touch, and this game don't. So nothing to say on graphics. Very good and works perfect.
    The music...is very good... but nowadays, it's very difficult to see a game with a bad soundtrack. Enjoyable, some times epic... and the spanish voices... impresive. Good job there.
    Now the good parts. Playable options are very good in my opinion. Lara is tough, agile, and learns how to kill....quickly. But the variety on tools and weapons.... it's great. Reminds of old Zelda titles where you need to have an object to continue, and also you can go back unlocking different areas. Superb there. Exploration is very fun, probably the best part of the game. Combat... not so good, but ok as well. I played dificult... it's only difficult with 10 enemys shooting at you... but that's always difficult. Shooting could be better, and a bow is a weapon of mass destruction (Rambo, no more words). At the end of the game, you'll only use the bow, and start dodging all the attacks to do a deadly combo. It passes, but not superb.
    The bad parts... hunting=useless. Don't hunt, you're wasting bullets and arrows. The "batman detective" vision, is ok, but it seems like they forced lara to only use it without moving because they didn't want people to compare it with batman games.... and it's an error. It should be better if you can move with it. Or at least, if some powerups at the end of the game allowed you to do it! that should be an easy way to unlock and should be very helpful to get the 100% of the game. I passed 30 minutes looking for an item, running and clicking l2 button repetitively! the sound was crazy.
    And probably, the worst part....the story. It's topic, you know what's going to happen.... at 30 minutes of play. Secondary all. I don't save even Grim, the drunk guy. The hell with him, I was hoping he had an estellar apperance....
    I am one of those that...really need a good story to tell in a game. So why an 8?... maybe because during the experience....I did forget that and focus on the gameplay. The story may be bad...but the scenarios, the mountains, the caves....are really good. Artistically I loved it, and the Yamatai story... not superb, but great. I liked how they used Japanish folkrore without ending in the same topics....
    And it should be a 7.... but 1 holly point is nothing but...Lara character. I said, I'm not a fan of Lara croft.... but this Lara is the charismatic girl I want to see in more games. I heard once it was like john maclaine... and it's true! always punishing her, hurting her, hiting her, stabbing her! I wanted her to kill them all!!! And at the end of the game, when she starts saying things like, "DIE BASTARDS, DIE" she really was meaning it....and I was just thinking about that. It was total empathy, and it works.

So summary, I really recommend this game. It's fun. It gets you to remember other games you enjoyed, and at least... it's all about gameplay. It may be the first time I got all collectibles at the time I beat the final boss.

Very good game.
  31. Oct 28, 2013
    The attention to detail put into this game is stunning. The controls are spot-on solid, and I loved watching how Lara reacted to various traversals and environments so exploring was always welcome and wanted. The pacing is excellent and characters believable. One of the most fun games to play and easily recommendable to almost anyone.
  32. Jun 24, 2013
    Excellent campaign enjoyed from start to finish, outstanding graphics on the much loved but ageing PS3...campaign is 10/10 only let down by disappointing multiplayer
  33. Mar 23, 2014
    I very much wanted to hate this game as to me it looked like a Uncharted Clone and im not the biggest fan of the story of uncharted was never that strong.

But the story is a lot stronger but not with out it's flaws. The gun/bow play is very enjoyable and the setting is lovely.

It defiantly worth a buy.
  34. Jun 28, 2013
    This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try!This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try! Hope they will come up with a sequel Expand
  35. Jul 1, 2013
    I was insanely happy with this game. I like the change in Lara and it makes her, as a character, much more relatable. I'm really glad I bought this game. The game play was different and I like how the puzzles were challenging. It was definitely nice to see this reboot of the series.

I was so thrilled i even cosplayed as her at a local convention!
  36. Aug 17, 2013
    Tomb Raider is simply a bunch of fun. The length of the game is satisfyingly long without being exhausting, and side features such as weapon upgrades, collectables, and above all, tombs, improve the quality of gameplay. In addition, the graphics are stunning and the story is certainly engaging.
  37. Jul 15, 2013
    The graphics alone in this game are enough to make it worth playing. The way the story is told in such a dark, mature way makes the experience that much better. I have to say, my only disappointment came from the predictable story-line, but that's just what you get in Tomb Raider games.
  38. Sep 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed it, it's a lengthy story, quite adventurous. I liked the characters, and story line was quite interesting, not your average meaningless shooter without any concept, this is definitely different in these terms. The graphics are awesome, and the landscapes are really beautiful. Just a really great game, enjoyable with good ending.
  39. Jul 26, 2013
    This isn't a Tomb Raider game. This is more like a Uncharted and Far Cry mixed game. The gameplay, graphics and the story is awesome and Lara looks amazing. But, the game is missing the puzzles and the feeling that old Tomb Raider games. If you love action games you must buy it but if you are and old-school Tomb Raider fan don't expect the same kind of a game.
  40. Aug 1, 2013
    "Tomb Raider" is an Action/Adventure gamer's dream. Lots of fans may compare "Tomb Raider" to the "Uncharted" series because of the gameplay style but let me assure you, "Tomb Raider" is a game of it's own. The combat system is amazing and I must say the highlight is the bow & arrow. You have a choice to attack enemies in a blaze of glory or attack them with stealth. The island that Lara"Tomb Raider" is an Action/Adventure gamer's dream. Lots of fans may compare "Tomb Raider" to the "Uncharted" series because of the gameplay style but let me assure you, "Tomb Raider" is a game of it's own. The combat system is amazing and I must say the highlight is the bow & arrow. You have a choice to attack enemies in a blaze of glory or attack them with stealth. The island that Lara raid's is huge and full of amazing landscapes, puzzles, & all the things core Tomb Raider fans will love. This adventure is a non-stop thrill ride from creators Crystal Dynamics. Expand
  41. Aug 4, 2013
    I felt this game was good introduction to the franchise to me. The strong points of this game are the story and the aesthetics. The story was well crafted and engaging, even if you would have liked it to longer, it was enjoyable all the way through. The level design was really well done in this game and the variety make the visual side exciting too.
  42. Jan 7, 2015
    This is one of the best tomb raider game. I'm a fan of Tomb Raider games. Played every tomb raider except Tomb Raider Underworld. Puzzles are rather simpler in this game. But background atmosphere and visuals are awesome. deserves 9/10.
  43. Aug 16, 2013
    By far the best PS3 game I've played for a LONG time! If you are a fan of the Uncharted series, then you're gonna love this one too. Great action and platforming with a story a lot like something from Uncharted. Although this is a somewhat dark and (sometimes) creepy game with quite a decent amount of blood and gore it's still an amazing game that's worthy of a replay sometime.
  44. Aug 18, 2013
    I found this game to be worth a solid 8.5, it was a great campaign that took you through a well rounded adventure. though the multiplayer, the character dialogue and side missions could have been better. This game took an old franchise and gave it a fresh new look with a mixture of uncharted, the last of us and far cry 3, though just like far cry 3 and uncharted (as great as they were),I found this game to be worth a solid 8.5, it was a great campaign that took you through a well rounded adventure. though the multiplayer, the character dialogue and side missions could have been better. This game took an old franchise and gave it a fresh new look with a mixture of uncharted, the last of us and far cry 3, though just like far cry 3 and uncharted (as great as they were), they take the realistic aspect away from certain scenes and chapters, this effect is also took a toll on this game, and though it is understandable based upon the plot, i do believe they could have made it more believable at times.

The setting, the enemies and the plot twists were great up to the point were they were predictable, (also where uncharted and far cry suffered).

Though as much as i can nitpick, i'd say definitely play this game, its a great game to experience and not a bad way to spend 12 hours.
  45. Aug 21, 2013
    Being a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line wasBeing a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line was awesome, not to long but not to short, just right! And there lots of 'Tombs' to 'Raid' lol, upgradable guns, secrets to uncover. All in all i give this game a rating of 10/10 cause u know who wouldn't, Tomb Raider is just an awesome game, especially if ya bored and ya wanna go hunting for animals.

-AG-
  46. Sep 12, 2013
    Tomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are noTomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are no objective matches.Nonetheless i suggest you to get the game.You wont be bored.It has a great story and characters. Expand
  47. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.
  48. Aug 30, 2013
    Its an Awesome game to play it will lead you in to the amazing world full of surprises through out the game you will never going to know what's going to happen next love the graphics and the whole environment and of course the beautifully created cut scenes.I love this game thank you Eidos Interactive and Core Design,Crystal Dynamics for making such a beautiful game love You guys
  49. Sep 15, 2013
    This game combines a great story with a variety of gameplay styles, it draws from genres like adventure-type platforming and a variety of shooting-style game staples.

The level/upgrade system allows players to actually earn skills rather than just a variety of outfits for Lara. As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more

As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more realistic (both physically and emotionally) characters.

The main fault I would note is that puzzle components could have been more difficult. Even without the flashing white hints, it doesn't take long to work through the actual tombs.
  50. Dec 13, 2013
    For me a great reboot for the series I liked it very much the story was ok the cutscenes were great as well as the graphics and the gameplay was very fun....all weapons were nice and you could use everyone with pleasure the platforming was good and the variety of melee attacks was good but i didnt really liked the feel of it i cant really describe it I loved the fact that lara becomes aFor me a great reboot for the series I liked it very much the story was ok the cutscenes were great as well as the graphics and the gameplay was very fun....all weapons were nice and you could use everyone with pleasure the platforming was good and the variety of melee attacks was good but i didnt really liked the feel of it i cant really describe it I loved the fact that lara becomes a badass step by step as the story evolves and the multiplayer is not very good but better than I exprctrd overall a great game that everyone should play!!! Expand
  51. Feb 21, 2014
    This is good games, the graphics are beautiful, the puzzles are stimulating, and the story was thrilling till the end. It was amazing seeing how Lara changed throughout the game.
  52. Nov 15, 2013
    There are many game-play elements in TR 2013, but only one element was done well. TR contains cool moments in which you have to deal with situations that popping up only once during the game. Parachute steering for example. Everything else is mediocre and absolutely not challenging.
    1. Many liner levels.
    2. Puzzles are way too easy and not frequent. 3. For the most part, just dull and
    1. Many liner levels.
    2. Puzzles are way too easy and not frequent.
    3. For the most part, just dull and alike caverns instead of tombs.
    4. It's not big deal to win a gunfight using only few covers. Sometimes even one cover is enough.
    5. Poor stealth mechanics.
    6. Absence of bosses. We have several mini-bosses which you can kill offhand. And I'm talking about hard difficulty level.
    7. Worst secrets in history of the TR. 100% hit is a piece of cake for the man who never find all of them in old installments.
    8. Casual parkour without deadly traps.

Visuals are good. Especially weather effects.

Story is weak. Cheap mix of LOST and British movie The Descent. Stereotypical characters with second-rate voice acting (especially documents).
    And why Lara can't dive underwater?
  53. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿LoEs el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  54. Nov 21, 2013
    If you expect to raid tombs in this game, this game is not for you. Yeah, I know. You would think Tomb Raider would be a game about raiding tombs and exploring the truth behind awesome legends and myths, like every previous Tomb Raider. Ah well, too bad for you.

If you expect to play with the iconic bad-ass heroine that is Lara Croft, this game is not for you. Oh, don't get me wrong, she is still named Lara Croft, but instead of being... well, Lara Croft, she is actually a whiny girl who does whatever her buds as her to do, because she must not have a mind of her own. And you know that promise they made, about this experience being the reason why she becomes the heroine we love and that in the end we would, in fact, get to see THE Lara we should have played with the entire game? You've guessed it. It is a load of bull-crap. She ends the game just as stupid minded as she begins. Do I feel betrayed? Utterly.

Needless to say at this point, if you expect the narrative to be an emotional ride that will leave you weeping but satisfied, this game isn't for you either. Tomb Raider (2013) is among the stupidest stories I've ever experienced in a video game... ever! And it suffers even further for taking it's bad narrative so seriously, to the point where it will make you laugh and flip off your screen at just how cringe worthy it is. (I honestly had to take a break for a few hours... it was like reading a terrible book, filled with more clichés, melodramatic moments, and plot holes than you could possibly handle except this one is in game-format.)

If you expect breathtaking music to go along the repetitiveness that is to shoot tons of men, solve a five second puzzle, and repeat, then this game isn't for you. Also, don't play this game without headphones you don't want anyone to think you're watching hardcore porn... or maybe you do. But that has nothing to do with me. You were warned though. (This means the voice acting is atrocious, by the way... and the gameplay too, unfortunately.)

And finally, if you expect this game to take your breath away with it's gorgeous graphics and the magnificent setting, then I guess this game is for you. The settings are simply beautiful, from the Japanese temples, to the forests... this is a VERY good looking game. Absolutely stunning. And that is why I've rated it a 4 just for how beautiful it is. It almost makes me cry that the setting was completely wasted in this game.

And that was all!
    By all means, play this if you want to, but you were warned.
  55. Jun 21, 2014
    I used to play Tomb Raider games and liked them but this one is weaker. The story is weird and does not make sense in some parts for me. I was expecting better graphics for game from 2013. Also, there was a few really interesting bugs like Lara swimming in concrete.
  56. Dec 17, 2013
    Great game, best Tomb Raider so far enjoyed playing this as much as The uncharted games which I've played all 3 and loved them all.Kept playing till I'd got all collectibles and reached 100%, which proves how good it is.
  57. Jan 16, 2015
    This game drove me crazy, all it has is extremely well done, characters, effect, fights, weapons,music, sounds, everything is wonderfull, I love lara since now, hahha 10/10
  58. Jan 19, 2014
    I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment,I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment, and it evokes the archaeologist-on-mystery-adventure theme perfectly. I was surprised (due to the ratings) and pleased. I'm saddened only by the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to play and experience the previous Tomb Raider games (it was the movies that introduced me to the franchise), and with the release of PS4 it is unlikely that I'll experience further releases of the game. Expand
  59. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  60. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good forOk, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good for explorations(open-world) and surely both realistic & beautiful.The gameplay was also very exciting (especially while in stealth mode with the bow or hand to hand combat).The story was also very interesting(keep in mind that the letters you will find in the game are important to understand the whole history of the game and the character's history and personality too).The atmosphere was also very good.I can't remember if the music was also good(actually I don't remember anything from the music of tomb raider).Tomb raider is one of the best games released in ps3 console up until today and it's in the top 4 favourite games I've ever played. Expand
  61. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  62. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've everTruly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  63. Jan 25, 2014
    This game just changed the Tomb Raider franchise forever. To be honest, I never really enjoyed the old games, they were a little cheap when it came to story and controls. But this game is just incredible, and has completely reinvigorated series.

Graphics: 10/10 beautifully designed, this game just looks amazing, and balances grit, horror and beauty perfectly Story 10/10 The game's

Graphics: 10/10

Story 10/10
    The game's real strong point, the story is very moving and powerful, and it really does develop interesting characters. Rebooting Lara's character was a brilliant move, and the single setting made for a much better game that previous installments

Game play: 10/10
    The game play fuses platforming, exploration and third person shooter perfectly to give an enthralling and exciting game experience

Choosing to give Lara more... realistic... features was probably the best decision made in the development, and giving her genuine character, flare and strength was just brilliant. She goes from being an inexperienced but determined beginner to being a born survivor, and while the pace of her transformation isn't exactly realistic, the game does give a lot in the way of character development.

This game just changed the way people look at Lara Croft. From now on, I think we can expect gem after gem. Truly inspirational, and by far the best in the series.
  64. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confidentTomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confident survivor although some scenes like Lara''s first kill felt unneccesary as after she slo-mo kills three kills with not so much as a flinch. The gameplay in Tomb Raider is great, the combat is fantastic thanks to a great variety of weapons and gear but unlike the first Uncharted it feels more like skipping the cutscenes for the combat than the other way round. The first hour or so feels quite slow and filled with button mashing QTE's that feel out of place. The puzzles that made tomb raider famous return's here but without the bigger and more complex mechanisms and alot more hand holding like the new special ability "survival instincts" which highlights any objects that can be interacted with and just makes things easier. Tomb Raider's multiplayer is a glitchy mess that is no fun and should not be played by anyone. Tomb Raider provides thrills throughout but is bogged down by a broken multiplayer and underdevolped side characters.
    8.5/10
  65. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  66. Jul 4, 2016
    This was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want toThis was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want to continue for more. Definitely worth going back to previous chapters to upgrade the weapons. I wish after completing it, the island becomes bright and sunny when you want to continue the incomplete stuff. The tombs are the puzzles in the game, but I was glad there weren't swarms of enemies inside. Any doubts, I recommend buying it. You won't regret it. Expand
  67. Apr 19, 2014
    It's a great game, the gameplay is awesome, although it borrows a lot of the Uncharted series, but so did the first Uncharted from the older Tomb Raider games.
    The story is cliché as hell and is full of stereotypical characters, but doesn't go stupid at all.
  68. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.
  69. Jul 7, 2014
    Let me start by saying that this is the very first Tomb Raider title I have ever played, though I have played and extremely enjoyed the Uncharted series. I thought this game was a whole lot of fun and it's a truly fresh way to introduce us to Lara Croft. The level design is fantastic, the graphics are beautiful and the action set pieces are pretty extreme.

You will enjoy using the bow

You will enjoy using the bow and arrow a whole lot, especially once you get flaming and exploding arrows.

It's a really great game and I enjoyed it till the very end. Doesn't best Uncharted for me, but it's a close second when it comes to adventure games such as these. I definitely recommend this one, go out and buy it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
  70. Nov 21, 2016
    I have just finished the game and I have 91% trophies and 100% completion. What I lack is max out multi and 3 missable sp tropies and what I must say about game, is that Tomb Raider reboot is gorgeous game. It is beautiful (as for PS3) with interesting plot and a lot of optional exploring. I give the game 7, mostly because of the fact, that when I have finished the game, I have a feelingI have just finished the game and I have 91% trophies and 100% completion. What I lack is max out multi and 3 missable sp tropies and what I must say about game, is that Tomb Raider reboot is gorgeous game. It is beautiful (as for PS3) with interesting plot and a lot of optional exploring. I give the game 7, mostly because of the fact, that when I have finished the game, I have a feeling that I do not want to replay it and also because secondary characters are dumb and useless. When you play Uncharted sometimes you have Sally and other NPC for you help, there a lot more interactions between all the characters. TR lacks it. Expand
  71. Oct 11, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played for its amazing visuals, fantastic story, interesting characters especially Lara who portrayed so well by Camilla Luddington, excellent gameplay and a gorgeous open world. This game would have been a 10 if not for its multiplayer, I mean its not the worst multiplayer ever but its not that exciting.
  72. Jan 5, 2015
    Class game of high quality - stunning graphics, brilliant acting and voice acting - especially by Camilla Luddington and Robin Atkin Downes. Take part in a thrilling storyline, with good gameplay - if not a little unrefined. Do those guards over there have infinite molotovs?!?!? (Reminds me of the Rocket Launchers in Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

8/10 - Ben Hazelden
  73. Nov 11, 2014
    I liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other gamesI liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other games that released at the same time as it. I felt almost immediately like I understood who Laura was and what her goals were when she got to the island. The story definitely carried me threw the game, but unfortunately the last 2 hours of story just dragged a bit much for me. SPOILERS AHEAD - (I thought I was almost done with the game when I saved my friend and escaped the temple and etc. etc. two more hours were left and they dragged) SPOILERS OVER The final boss fight was a glorified quick time event, and while I'm not opposed to QTEs I think the boss battle should have rewarded me for all the upgraded weapons I had made.

The game play was good. It runs a lot like other third person shooters. I enjoyed the mix of weapons which as they upgraded added new options for working my way through the mass of bad guys in each level. The platforming parts of the game were great. The rush that comes from being shot at while trying to balance or make a well timed leap is great. There were some puzzle only sections in the special tombs that could be found and raided for weapon and skill upgrades.

The upgrade system for skills and weapons was pretty well rounded and didn't dive too deep into the "once you get that move you are unkillable" world that some games do. It also wasn't pointless. Some of the upgrades really do make Laura a better stalker which is how I tried to play a lot of the game. It isn't a stealth game per say but I liked that I could play a very stealthy Laura and not have every encounter devolve into a machine gun blasting rampage. Don't get me wrong those are great, but I like that some areas could be handled more tactically.

Tomb raider let's you explore a vast island with different open areas that you only end up returning to once or twice in the story playthrough. I had the option to return more than that as my skills went up to find more secrets, tombs, and upgrades; but I was able to play through the game without doing too much extra stuff. I was never forced to do a side quest and could always choose how deep I wanted to go into the island's mysteries. I am still considering going back and trying for the platinum, but there are so many games I have left to play right now.

My favorite part of the game was probably the "Secret tomb puzzles". These pure platform puzzle areas were unique and made me utilize my head instead of just jumping for the yellow bar like some games. The rewards for the puzzles were usually key parts to upgrading a gun or a significant skill boost. I didn't groan when I found a tomb because I knew they would make me more survivable and not reward me with a stupid multiplayer costume.

My least favorite part of the game had to be the two different gore tunnels Laura found herself in during the game. The tunnels weren't full of enemies or traps, it just made you wade or crawl slowly through a mush of human and animal remains. I'm not sure what the purpose of this was other than to freak out my wife who was watching during one session or to make me annoyed at the slow pace the two scenes add to the game. I wasn't held in suspense, just a little queasy at the end.

This game does a great job of blending story, character, and gameplay. It ends before it gets too repetitive and there are ample opportunities to return and do extra work on the island. It looks and sounds beautiful. This game made me want to go back and play older tomb raider games so it's definitely doing something right.

In Conclusion

+ Audio and Visual style
    + Skill and weapon upgrade system
    + game play especially tombs, and puzzles with enemies
    - Gore tunnels
    - Story lasts a little bit too long
  74. Feb 10, 2015
    I'm in to these adventure games, I'm a big fan of the Unchartered and Tomb Raider series. Great action scenes, somewhat mediocre fighting dynamics tho. The cut scenes comes a little too tight, breaks the momentum of the game.
  75. May 15, 2015
  76. Mar 13, 2017
    First of all, I'm a massive Tomb Raider fan. I've been a fan since 1996 when the first game came out. I was really looking forward to this grittier, more mature version of Lara, but ultimately I was disappointed.

Many (if not all) of you are probably familiar with Naughty Dog's cinematic adventure series Uncharted. That's what Tomb Raider, once an original and innovative franchise, has become. Lara herself underwent a drastic redesign, which I actually really like despite the fact she now looks like she came out of a Final Fantasy game. It doesn't surprise me at all, seeing how Square Enix acquired the rights to the franchise.

The gameplay and controls are solid, and I don't really have any major complaints. The only thing that really bothered me was the "survival instinct" mechanic. If you stand still and press a button, the screen goes black and white and collectibles, enemies, and points of interest are highlighted. Think of it as Batman's detective mode from the Arkham series. However, Batman can use his detective mode while moving. Lara has to be perfectly still, and the survival instinct mode turns off as soon as she moves. It's inconvenient but not a deal breaker.

There's also a simple crafting system and some basic RPG elements with skill trees and new abilities, but it's not very deep.

The sound design is okay, but I'm not really a fan of the music. There's not a single memorable melody, not even a main theme. The game looks hideous, at least on PS3. Uncharted 3 came out before Tomb Raider, and looked infinitely better. I later bought the Definitive Edition on PS4, and naturally it looks much better, so that's the version I recommend.

Now to the story and characters, which is the reason why my score is so low. The story is simply awful. I'm not gonna spoil it for those who haven't finished it yet, but it feels like a not very good fanfiction. Which is rather amusing, because the story was written by Rhianna Pratchett.

Tomb Raider is desperately trying to be Uncharted, but Crystal Dynamics obviously didn't understand what made Uncharted so popular. When you take Uncharted as a game, it's nothing special. An average game at best. What makes it so great, are its charming, likable characters. That's where Tomb Raider falls flat on its face. Every single character in the game is forgettable and insignificant. You hardly know anything about them. When they die, you know you're supposed to care, but you simply don't. If you removed all of them but the main villain, nothing would change. The worst offender is Samantha, Lara's close friend whose sole purpose seems to be screaming Lara's name and getting saved. She's what princess Peach is to Mario, a pretty and stupid damsel in distress. The cast is diverse. You have an obligatory angry black woman, an Asian, a Pacific Islander, and a bunch of white people led by Lara herself. But like I said, none of it matters because they have no personality whatsoever. You can collect Samantha's journals and watch short videos to learn more about our heroes, but it's so lazily done it means nothing.

Tomb Raider also has multiplayer, but it feels tacked on, and seems to solely exist because other games are doing it. Tomb Raider has always been a singleplayer, narrative-driven franchise, and multiplayer has no place here. It's also completely unmoderated, meaning everyone is using hacks which allow them to shoot through walls and such. It's particularly bad on PC. There's no penalty for this, and it completely ruins what was a pretty shallow experience to being with.

To sum it up: if you've never played Uncharted, you'll probably like this game way more than I did. Add a point or two to my score if that's the case. If you're looking for a game that will make you feel for your heroes, try the Uncharted trilogy instead.

Oh, and fair warning to everyone who suffers from motion sickness like I do: the in-game camera is absolutely bloody atrocious! It constantly shakes and vibrates with Lara's every move and turn AND during cutscenes, too. I was forced to take frequent breaks while playing because I was getting headaches after just 20 minutes of playing. You can disable the shakycam on PC using a fan-made patch, but on consoles you are stuck with it, both in the PS3 and PS4 versions.
  77. Aug 10, 2016
    Tomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautifulTomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautiful graphics, great mechanics, eerie set pieces, dank tombs, lots of collectables, bad ass enemies plus the story is interesting and entertaining. The game is just fun to play, a real good time. They even threw in a little multiplayer to spice things up. If you like tomb raider or uncharted series, you'll really enjoy this... Expand
  78. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If You Loved This Video Game So Much You Sud Intend To Buy It Right **** Cunning Now? Gotta Too Play This Game On PlayStation 3 And PlayStation 4 And XBOX ONE Expand
  79. Dec 12, 2015
    It's REALLY good.
    It's REALLY good.
    The reboot of the iconic franchise, Tomb Raider is a shining example of what video game characters can be. The game itself is built very well, the story is engaging, the presentation is fantastic, the amount of depth put into it is deep, the gameplay is exciting, and the game is overall breath-taking. But what really makes this game great is it's representation of Lara Croft. She isn't just a hot female protagonist, she's a character that you care about, she's a character is a better Nathan Drake than most other characters in video game history. The only real thing that I didn't like about the game was the survival aspect, being more of a ways to get XP, and the multiplayer really isn't that good, it doesn't mirror the actual game well. (Well, this game has been out for 2 years now, there probably isn't any servers online anymore.) It's great, and is worth every penny.

Tomb Raider gets a 9/10.
  80. Dec 1, 2015
    This was my first Tomb Raider experience and it is safe to say that I am hooked. The designs are beautifully crafted and the story constantly propels you deeper into the life of Lara Croft. This game always had exciting thrills and was a fun adventure from start to finish. A must own and addicting in the best way.
  81. Mar 22, 2016
    Really good game - better than I was expecting. It is very similar to the Uncharted series. If you enjoy playing as Nathan Drake, you will definitely like playing as Lara Croft. The story is pretty good and keeps you interested, but it is somewhat cliche. The supporting characters are not as well developed as in Uncharted. The game is fairly short to complete, but it was enjoyable toReally good game - better than I was expecting. It is very similar to the Uncharted series. If you enjoy playing as Nathan Drake, you will definitely like playing as Lara Croft. The story is pretty good and keeps you interested, but it is somewhat cliche. The supporting characters are not as well developed as in Uncharted. The game is fairly short to complete, but it was enjoyable to play. Very graphic and violent, more so than Uncharted (Lara death scenes are brutal!).

Pros
    + Very similar to the Uncharted series
    + Good story
    + Nice graphics
    + Tight controls and game play

Cons
    - Short game
    - Supporting characters not well developed
    - Enemies are a little repetitive
  82. May 12, 2016
    Great game on PS3. It has beautiful graphic and superb control. I played Uncharted before and didn't very like it because felt like watching movie, but Tomb Raider really like playing a game. There are experience, salvage and gear to improve Lara Croft. It has back tracking system to find hidden collectibles as well gain experience and salvage to become the very bad-ass than no one ever was.
  83. May 21, 2016
    This game is on fire. NAH I wont say that. It sucks . All about survival , who will play game fully about survival . Just trying to get of a stupid island. There could have been a better presentation . TOO much . MAN THIS GAME SUCKS
  84. Mar 20, 2017
    Graficamente muy bien, pero demasiado bélico, sin exploracion, pocos puzzles, sin zonas de nado, en fin, simplemente no es un tomb raider. Pero lo peor: la historia, totalmente sinsentido. No comprendo las notas tan elevadas, quizás se deban a que ahora parece que lo que importa es liarse a tiros.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]