8.3

1. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.
  2. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  3. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  4. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  5. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about
    that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  6. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of
    salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  7. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  8. Jan 25, 2014
    This game just changed the Tomb Raider franchise forever. To be honest, I never really enjoyed the old games, they were a little cheap when it came to story and controls. But this game is just incredible, and has completely reinvigorated series. Graphics: 10/10 beautifully designed, this game just looks amazing, and balances grit, horror and beauty perfectly Story 10/10 The game's real strong point, the story is very moving and powerful, and it really does develop interesting characters. Rebooting Lara's character was a brilliant move, and the single setting made for a much better game that previous installments

Game play: 10/10
    The game play fuses platforming, exploration and third person shooter perfectly to give an enthralling and exciting game experience

Choosing to give Lara more... realistic... features was probably the best decision made in the development, and giving her genuine character, flare and strength was just brilliant. She goes from being an inexperienced but determined beginner to being a born survivor, and while the pace of her transformation isn't exactly realistic, the game does give a lot in the way of character development.

This game just changed the way people look at Lara Croft. From now on, I think we can expect gem after gem. Truly inspirational, and by far the best in the series.
  9. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  10. Jan 19, 2014
    I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment, and it evokes the archaeologist-on-mystery-adventure theme perfectly. I was surprised (due to the ratings) and pleased. I'm saddened only by the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to play and experience the previous Tomb Raider games (it was the movies that introduced me to the franchise), and with the release of PS4 it is unlikely that I'll experience further releases of the game. Expand
  11. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  12. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good for explorations(open-world) and surely both realistic & beautiful.The gameplay was also very exciting (especially while in stealth mode with the bow or hand to hand combat).The story was also very interesting(keep in mind that the letters you will find in the game are important to understand the whole history of the game and the character's history and personality too).The atmosphere was also very good.I can't remember if the music was also good(actually I don't remember anything from the music of tomb raider).Tomb raider is one of the best games released in ps3 console up until today and it's in the top 4 favourite games I've ever played. Expand
  13. Dec 17, 2013
    Great game, best Tomb Raider so far enjoyed playing this as much as The uncharted games which I've played all 3 and loved them all.Kept playing till I'd got all collectibles and reached 100%, which proves how good it is.
  14. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.
  15. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  16. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10.

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is
    truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  17. Oct 28, 2013
    The attention to detail put into this game is stunning. The controls are spot-on solid, and I loved watching how Lara reacted to various traversals and environments so exploring was always welcome and wanted. The pacing is excellent and characters believable. One of the most fun games to play and easily recommendable to almost anyone.
  18. Oct 21, 2013
    A piece of art. It's a game of adventure and action, and it has some puzzles to test your intelligence.
    there are many obstacles that Lara faces witch makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the game a lot!
  19. Sep 29, 2013
    When i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell you that i was DEAD WRONG!! Tomb Raider is an absolutely amazing game that as much as it pains me to say it definitely puts Uncharted to shame! Everything in this game from the story to the graphics, the locations and the characters is all breathtaking. If you haven't played this title yet do yourself a favor and go pick it up! Without a doubt one of my contenders for game of the year Expand
  20. Sep 15, 2013
    This game combines a great story with a variety of gameplay styles, it draws from genres like adventure-type platforming and a variety of shooting-style game staples.

The level/upgrade system allows players to actually earn skills rather than just a variety of outfits for Lara.

As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more
    realistic (both physically and emotionally) characters.

The main fault I would note is that puzzle components could have been more difficult. Even without the flashing white hints, it doesn't take long to work through the actual tombs.
  21. Sep 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed it, it's a lengthy story, quite adventurous. I liked the characters, and story line was quite interesting, not your average meaningless shooter without any concept, this is definitely different in these terms. The graphics are awesome, and the landscapes are really beautiful. Just a really great game, enjoyable with good ending.
  22. Sep 12, 2013
    Tomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are no objective matches.Nonetheless i suggest you to get the game.You wont be bored.It has a great story and characters. Expand
  23. Aug 30, 2013
    Its an Awesome game to play it will lead you in to the amazing world full of surprises through out the game you will never going to know what's going to happen next love the graphics and the whole environment and of course the beautifully created cut scenes.I love this game thank you Eidos Interactive and Core Design,Crystal Dynamics for making such a beautiful game love You guys
  24. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  25. Aug 21, 2013
    Being a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line was awesome, not to long but not to short, just right! And there lots of 'Tombs' to 'Raid' lol, upgradable guns, secrets to uncover. All in all i give this game a rating of 10/10 cause u know who wouldn't, Tomb Raider is just an awesome game, especially if ya bored and ya wanna go hunting for animals.

-AG-
  26. Aug 16, 2013
    By far the best PS3 game I've played for a LONG time! If you are a fan of the Uncharted series, then you're gonna love this one too. Great action and platforming with a story a lot like something from Uncharted. Although this is a somewhat dark and (sometimes) creepy game with quite a decent amount of blood and gore it's still an amazing game that's worthy of a replay sometime.
  27. Aug 16, 2013
    To set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments were great, voice acting top notch, and the game play had a lot of the traditional Tomb Raider without being overly difficult or cumbersome... I enjoyed the whole game, BUT, OMG, The MP IS ABOUT THEN MOST HORRIBLE THING I have ever seen on this generation console... WHY DID THEY BOTHER? I played it once and almost barfed at the stark contrast. Play it for the single player experience and move onto something else. for me, I am going back and catching up with the Dishonored DLC. Expand
  28. Aug 8, 2013
    In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/page/2/
  29. Aug 6, 2013
    I'm currently on 65% to complete 1st walkthrough and I think there is nothing until end which can spoil this score. Game is awesome. Only bad thing is that it's little too easy.
    Story, game mechanics and everything else works just fine!

Feels like Tomb Raider meet Far Cry 3 and Uncharted!
  30. Aug 3, 2013
    I've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it's interesting to see how she became the hardened killer we know and love.
    Weapon combat is very satisfying and it's nice to be able to upgrade your weapons, but the physical combat is pretty average. I also like the touch that Lara sticks automatically to walls when enemies are near, something Uncharted never had.
    Graphics are also very nice to look at across the island and you can spend more time afterwards wandering about the place when collecting items and other collectibles. And there is a ton of things to pick up, make no mistake.
    Overall, an excellent game that portrays Lara Croft's character arc very well, with great gameplay, nice environments and acting.
  31. Aug 1, 2013
    "Tomb Raider" is an Action/Adventure gamer's dream. Lots of fans may compare "Tomb Raider" to the "Uncharted" series because of the gameplay style but let me assure you, "Tomb Raider" is a game of it's own. The combat system is amazing and I must say the highlight is the bow & arrow. You have a choice to attack enemies in a blaze of glory or attack them with stealth. The island that Lara raid's is huge and full of amazing landscapes, puzzles, & all the things core Tomb Raider fans will love. This adventure is a non-stop thrill ride from creators Crystal Dynamics. Expand
  32. Jul 27, 2013
    It's not easy for a game to make my shelf as it's a (figuratively) small shelf. The PS3 side consists of the Assassin's Creed series, the Resident Evil series, Bisoshock trilogy, Soul Calibur and Tekken, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and Red Dead Redemption. The PC side consists of the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age Origins and II, the Dead Space trilogy, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 and 2, SWKOTOR 1 and 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Metro 2033 and eventually Last Light.

Now because games are so expensive and most of them are a couple hours of linear junk, I tend to rent games from Gamefly to see if they make the shelf. I've played some good and bad games this way but none have even come close to the shelf. My assumption was that this game would be no different. I'm glad to have been wrong and this game will be making the PC shelf for sure (even though I rented it for PS3).

Now as a youngin I played most if not all the TR games though I don't remember liking them all that much. This game, however, I thoroughly enjoyed. The new take on Lara Croft is perfect in my opinion. The appearance change is great. She went from an over exaggerated bimbo to a classy kind of beautiful. Her personality is also very likable with the perfect mix of typical girl, explorer and badass.

The story was also top notch which is an absolute must for a game like this. The characters were well done as well and the gameplay was thoroughly enjoyable. The graphics were great for this generation of console and I can't wait for the next installment on next gen. Voice acting was also top notch.

The weapon modification was great though more personalized customization would always be nice. The skill progression worked but definitely needs to be expanded upon. The environments were varied and enjoyable both visually and gameplay-wise. I felt they did a great job of having the game be quite linear (which undoubtedly helps the story telling side) yet still have plenty of exploration involved. This was enhanced by all the cool tools, weapon upgrades and mechanics in the game. Overall there was not much I didn't like about the game.

As for things I didn't like, there were very few. My major gripe was sound effects and dialogue volume being linked in the options menu. I don't know what buffoon came up with that idea but s/he should get a stern talkin-to.

Next, and this is something I'm a bit on the fence about, were QTEs (quick-time-events). They are very fitting for a game like this and they didn't go overboard with them but they can be so immersion-breaking when you fail them (especially if you fail them multiple times). However. they are a good fit for a game like this so, I'm a bit torn.

Lastly I felt, at times, they went a bit overboard with beating on Lara. I realise it is done to get the point across that she is a survivor and a badass but I just feel they went a bit overboard at times. Really I just had an issue with one seen where some guy starts punching Lara's face in. I felt they did a great job of getting across her survivorness (so to speak) but that one scene was over the top and unnecessary in my opinion.

Overall, I think the guys and gals at Crystal did a superb job rebooting the series, I love just about everything they did and I now have another great game to add to the shelf. Fix the options menu (add more options and don't link options that should never, ever be linked), expand upon the skill progression, add more customization options and this series will be top notch for sure.

Well done all at Crystal Dynamics. 9 out of 10 and you guys have got yourself a new fan.
  33. Jul 15, 2013
    The graphics alone in this game are enough to make it worth playing. The way the story is told in such a dark, mature way makes the experience that much better. I have to say, my only disappointment came from the predictable story-line, but that's just what you get in Tomb Raider games.
  34. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was never huge fan of the tomb raider franchise, but after reading so many reviews of the game and hearing all the critical acclaim about it, i had to check it out. needless to say, i wasnt at all disappointed. though i am not too familiar with prior work crystal dynamics has done before, this game stands out in the puzzle/action genre that i hope future games of its kind will model itself after. the graphics and visual aspects of the game, the sound design and replay value of the game is awesome.

over the course of roughly 2 weeks since i first recieved the game, i beat the game in about 3 or 4 days, with a final completion score of 82%. i would play the game for a couple of hours at a time, and always looked forward to coming back to it. the game is in fact an origin story. that is, provides an interesting idea of how lara croft did became the strong survivalist character we identify with her as a being pop culture icon we know her as today. The game is developed by Crystal Dynamics. to my knowledge, they havent done anything previously that has really stood out to me in the gaming industry (though if anyone wishes to suggest a game of theirs i should check out, please do). they have done a truly great job with the game. the overall visual design of the game is absolutely beautiful and the play mechanics of controlling Lara are smooth, clean and precise.. the sound design captures the immersive environment incredibly well varying from a thick jungle to a sprawling mountain town with accompanying various changes of realistic weather as you progress through the game. the combat, which drives about 75% of the gameplay, borrows subtle incredients from the recent Resident Evil games we've seen in recent years and is fluid, engaging and thanks to the rich various different environments, i never found dull.

if you appreciate the more technical aspects of current gen games, the game has a lot of great visual effects that add to the overall experience which one would really appreciate, not to also mention things like realistic destructible cover during the intense shoot out scenes and its environments, ragdoll physics mechanics with the bodies of enemies as they hurl through the air during explosions and the like. overall, these elements done so amazingly well help to drive a fun game play experience.

the game has a compelling storyline with a few subtle plot twists, and it is easy to identify with lara as a protagonist. this game is rated 'M' for mature and for good reason. Lara gets bloodied, beaten up and in an extreme capacity that would make even the most hardened gamer or even horror movie fan of gore cringe occasionally. the game is of course an adventure/shooter game with lots of shoot-out set pieces. it offers lots of use of weapons for lara to find and learn to use anything from a pick axe,a pistols, machine guns and even (my favourite) the awesome bow and arrow. this game offers a warm welcome to such a primitive weapon. it's fun to use and being able to pull off headshots is just incredibly satisfying.

one thing i of course must mention is the puzzle solving aspect to the game. the puzzles arent as heavily placed in prior games. in fact, they are entirely optional to pursue. you can get by without engaging in any of them which are found in tombs placed all throughout the game, but ignoring them completely even on a second playthrough would be discouraged. the rewards from solving these puzzles rewards Lara very generously with bonus XP and that is always a great thing! on a personal note though, i felt that they often slowed down the pace of the game and as i came across these tombs, i really debated with myself if i really wanted to do them at all.

as said earlier, the story line is engaging and rarely has a dull moment. the action never lets up, and is a great game that offers the player tons of replay value to return back to previous locales to look for any outstanding secret areas. i cant see this as game that too many people will be returning, trading or selling for something else in the long term. i recommend this to anyone who likes the puzzle/adventure games but also enjoys the intense action of 3rd person shooter. This Tomb Raider game has in some ways set the bar for future games of its kind to model after.

i would happily rate this as one of the top 10 games for 2013.
  35. Jul 6, 2013
    Never played any other Tomb Raider. Figured the this title would be a good starting point. Was a lot like a female version of the Uncharted games. Really enjoyed the story and the survival tactics used in the game.
  36. Jul 1, 2013
    I was insanely happy with this game. I like the change in Lara and it makes her, as a character, much more relatable. I'm really glad I bought this game. The game play was different and I like how the puzzles were challenging. It was definitely nice to see this reboot of the series.

I was so thrilled i even cosplayed as her at a local convention!
  37. Jun 28, 2013
    This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try! Hope they will come up with a sequel Expand
  38. Jun 27, 2013
    This is the first Tomb Raider game that I've ever played because Lara Croft's character just always seemed too cartoonish for me. This reboot, though, is really amazing. Croft's character is one that you instantly care about and the gameplay is exciting and polished. Also, this game actually makes using a bow fun, unlike other's who have attempted to incorporate the weapon.
  39. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is amazing! I can't believe it took me so long to play it! It has the best graphics I've seen in a game. Those graphics are backed by super fun gameplay mechanics and amazing storytelling. If they make a sequel, I'll be in line for a midnight release.
  40. Jun 24, 2013
    Excellent campaign enjoyed from start to finish, outstanding graphics on the much loved but ageing PS3...campaign is 10/10 only let down by disappointing multiplayer
  41. Jun 24, 2013
    This game was great.It had a good story and amazing action. The game had me playing and didnt want me to stop.It was also a great restart,in my opinion, for the Tomb Raider franchise.I feel that this game should be played by anyone who is a fan of Tomb Raider,or if you just love games.Though my biggest complaint would have to be the half-assed multiplayer.It feels tacked on and tacky.Also i felt as if there was no replay value.Other than those problems this game is a GOTY contender in my book. Expand
  42. Jun 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic experience. This game nails the balance between puzzles and action-packed sequences, creating all the time a new and fresh experience. The game is beautiful and the new-Lara as a character is extremely likable. I've been a fan of the series since TRII and this game got me absolutely hooked. The environments are stunning, the action sequences are really fun and the amount of collectables make a collector like myself truly hyped. You'll find everything in this game: awesome tombs to explore, a lot of stuff to collect, enemies to shoot and nice weapons to upgrade. Lara grows from an innocent teenager to the bad-ass we all know and it's a delight to be a part of that experience. Can't wait for the next game in the series. Expand
  43. Jun 19, 2013
    This is a gritty, intense and very well made game which demonstrates that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have to admit to being skeptical about the merits of this title given that it is a prequel of sorts. Why I write 'of sorts' is because the "young" Lara Croft of this game bares little resemblance to the buxom, globe trotting heroin of previous games. First, the controls: very tight. Tomb Raider shares a lot of DNA with Uncharted which is ironic given that Uncharted was originally called "dude raider" but as that game was not a clone of Tomb Raider neither is this game a clone of Uncharted (still with me?). The way Lara handles parkour and some of the set pieces share a striking resemblance to Uncharted. This being said this game stands on its own and provides some of the best if not the best use of body language in any video game that I've seen. Early on Lara survives a sudden crash and washes ashore injured, cold and disoriented. As she makes her way to lighting a life-saving fire you as the player would be cold hearted not to feel for her. Everything Lara experiences is portrayed realistically and while there are some points where some of her adversity no longer seems evident the character never becomes ridiculously outsized (the way she was in other titles). She's obviously young and physically and mentally vulnerable- much of this game unfolds in seeing her gradually evolve into becoming more fearless and its a journey well worth taking. The graphics are excellent- everything you see is well detailed and realistic and this is especially true with Lara. Crystal Dynamics really took a chance here by creating this prequel; even though Tomb Raider had previously been easily bested by Uncharted a poorly made prequel could mean the end of one of the most enduring characters in gaming. Instead they hit the ball out of the park- this game clearly has a seat at the table and an argument to make with Uncharted in terms of which game is the best. Accomplishing such in terms of storytelling and immersion is a feat in and of itself- Lara is vulnerable but she isn't pandering to the player. You will unless you're completely jaded go through this journey and find yourself pulling for her from the opening moments; it's that well done. Other excellent features include the skills progression- there is a certain amount of customization with the various skills but ultimately future titles should expand these further. The weapons also are capable of progression and customization- the game encourages you to experience it fully by rewarding you with deadly and efficient skills and weapon parts.

Tomb Raider needed an injection of fresh air; Crystal Dynamics had previously done a good job of resurrecting the series but the original version of Lara Croft had gone as far as she could go. This game is a prequel of sorts but I have a feeling the entire franchise has been rebooted; future games will have little to do with the previous 15+ years and that is a good thing. Consider this game not a prequel but a reboot and its a homerun. Where the series goes from this point is going to be fresh and exciting and as someone who really didn't care for the previous incarnation of Lara Croft I look forward to seeing where this new and improved Tomb Raider series goes from here.
  44. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a really good game. It finally made me like Lara Croft and Tomb Raider games. It had good game-play, a good story, pretty graphics, and a cool island to explore. The only thing i was disappointed with was the fact I wanted it to last longer. I wanted more tombs to raid, more weapons to find and collect, to upgrade, more of everything. Instead of the crappy mulitplayer they gave us.
  45. Jun 18, 2013
    I can not say enough about this game. While it is simplistic, it is simply AMAZING, and feels like a fully interactive hollywood movie, complete with WILD special effects, intrigue and drama, and some views/landscapes that make you wish you were there. Until a native clunks you in the head with an axe!

This game really earned the "Tomb Raider" moniker, and lives up the the great
    expectations that come with being part of a classic succesful, some would say historical series.

It sort of felt like if Heavy Rain was more of an action game...Really really fun game, altho very simply and easy to play, this is the type of game that anyone can play, and have a great great time with.

Basically everything from the gameplay, to the graphics, to the actors and audio was 10/10, but this game only gets 9/10 because it felt rather short to me! However there is a lot to collect after the story is over so I decided to give this 9/10 still which means BUY IT PLAY IT :D
  46. Jun 18, 2013
    WARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because after playing TR, I just can't enjoy those other games like I used to.

Not a traditional TR game, but as an action game, it's great!
  47. Jun 16, 2013
    Story-wise, this is by far the best Tomb Raider game to come out since the first 3 games. However, on a technological level, this is the best game in the series.
    Crystal Dynamics "Core Team" really outdid themselves with this one. Highly recommended title.
    Great story. Great level up system to upgrade equipment. Tight controls. Lots of secrets to find with exploration.

My primary
    genre is JRPGs, but this is by far the best action game released in many years. It gives one a true sense of outdoor survival.

Did I say tight controls? Well, they're very tight.
  48. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, and that is hard for me to say because uncharted was pretty good. Buy it if you like these kind of games. Rent it if you are not sure. Expand
  49. May 30, 2013
    Great from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one of those near perfect games. Expand
  50. May 29, 2013
    !0 is perfection, and this is as close as it gets. This is the brutal story of Lara Croft, and holy moses it is DIRTY. It's a beautiful action game that really gives you action. The world feels really open, yet it is linnear, but as I said, it feels huge. The best game I've played in at least 2 years.
  51. May 28, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    It probably would not appeal very much to all the die-hard fans of the original games, specially when this current gameplay is compared to the one of the original Tomb Raider I, II and III (the third one being my favorite): Traps almost non existing, way less wolves and any other wild animal to fight, and quite simple
    puzzles. So, if you were a massive fan of this aspects of the old Tomb Raider, probably this is not the game for you. BUT the stunning complexity of the environment, the great gun fights that this game has really make it up for it! A really compelling story, a new "real" 20-year-old Lara, a good Voice acting make this new start as a great starting point for what could be a real threat to the Uncharted franchise. Expand
  52. May 21, 2013
    One of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow and arrows was great fun). As an Uncharted fan, I was impressed with the gorgeous majestic cinematic sequences, they were exciting and one scene near the end to me topped Uncharted, and I'm an Uncharted fan to boot. The single drawback to me was the multiplayer, it's just not as fun. I would have preferred if they had a longer single solo playthrough instead of the weak multiplayer. Highly recommended, and keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel! More of the excellent new Lara Croft, please. Expand
  53. May 21, 2013
    This is a awesome reboot of Tomb Raider! Now we have a more human Lara, more realistic story context and a great "hero journey"! I'm a Uncharted and Lost die-hard fan, I love mythology, mysteries, puzzles and rpg, so this Tomb Raider is one of the best games I ever played in my life. I hope they make many many sequels!
  54. May 20, 2013
    As someone who really wasn't that interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, I was really impressed by this game. Its hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about so I'll quickly list off what I liked: 1. The Lara Croft character is great and I viewed her as a female John Mclain from Die Hard. 2. The graphics are fantastic and the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay are near seamless. 3. The actual Tomb Raiding was really fun and it was nice to seem them put them in, although I wish there was a lot more of them. 4. The intensity of the violence compliments the game unlike it did for Bioshock infinite. 5. The progression system was fun and some upgrades really did help out and came when they needed to. There are morei things I could say but those were the ones I liked to lay out. I did not play the multiplayer but based on the word of mouth it doesn't seem worth commenting on. I still fully give this game my highest recommendation even if the multiplayer content is lackluster as the single-player campaign more than justifies a 60$ price tag Expand
  55. May 19, 2013
    a complete refresh to the Tomb Raider franchise which was needed in my opinion more user friendly and a spectacular reboot great story gameplay soundtrack and design....... could have done without the multiplayer with a focus on maybe a few more tombs but none the less looking forward to more adventures in the future!!!!
  56. May 18, 2013
    I wonder why people always want frustrating, unfriendly video games. I think the compromise the developers devised is perfect. There is no reason for a developer to throw you in a situation you cannot possibly figure out given the limitations of video games. It is either you think what they were thinking or you keep trying until you, by virtue of pure chance, come across the answer. This game gives you just enough tips to keep it entertaining without diluting the experience. So long, tips & tricks. We don't need you. It is so interesting to see the evolution of Lara. Great game! Expand
  57. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  58. May 12, 2013
    Did naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challenge to find. Don't let the awful slow beginning fool you, this game keeps you on the edge of your seat from the semi start to finish. Like some reviews said it best, it's uncharted with boobs. Expand
  59. May 5, 2013
    yes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussy like 25 hours so okay thats good further its not like uncharted like every buddy says just a litle but uncharted is to like tomb raider ride than you got the mp that fun for some hours its not that good its fun for like 4-5 hours than its don fore the mp but its all obout the single player in this game right Expand
  60. May 5, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!! Expand
  61. May 2, 2013
    This game was an absolute gem. I rate it higher than Bioshock Infinite. It was SO AMAZING!
    The story, the character development, the environments were all perfect! Uncharted 2 and 3 being my favorite video games, I can easily recommend this to anyone who likes platformer/action-adventure/third person shooter.
  62. May 1, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Great game! Read many reviews and the majority gave this game a good score but there was also a few mixed reviews too. My expectations were so so, but ended up enjoying this game. It has elements of the Batman games with the survival vision to help you out, it also features weapons upgrades and button bashing similar to resident evil 4 with the all rounder feel of the uncharted series, climbing,jumping,searching for treasure with a few decent puzzles in there too. The graphics are spot on too probably the best I've seen on the playstation 3! The only odd flaw which doesn't really affect me is the zip lining, when trying to zip line downhill the x button is the action button but is also the jump button so try to attach to the rope on a cliff edge can be dangerous! That small quirk aside this game is a great and hopefully there will be a sequel in the works. Expand
  63. May 1, 2013
    Muy buen juego la verdad al estar jugando la campaña me senti muy emocionado y a la ves lleno de furia al estar luchando y sobresaliendo con lara croft. Tomb Raider regreso perfectamente bien y mas que eso
  64. Apr 30, 2013
    Utter brilliance. Only slightly falls down on some of the bizarre/unbelievable character reactions to story twists. But this sets a new high in 3rd person adventures games and beats Uncharted for my money (much more fun).
  65. Apr 27, 2013
    A brilliant game and a perfect way to reboot a classic character with a twist. I personally prefer the new Lara's character to the original but fans of the classic Lara will still manage to gain a lot of enjoyment from this. Looking forward to a sequel in a few years time.
  66. Apr 26, 2013
    This new Tomb Raider is the best Tomb Raider that you can get it´s over 10 times better than Underworld, Legend or Anniversary.It has the perfect story and the perfect control scheme having a touch of Arkham City, Uncharted and Assassin´s Creed
  67. Apr 21, 2013
    One of the best games ive played in a while,couldnt put the controller down from the start to the finish.The story line is great the charactors are very well done.The gameplay is fanatasic the controlls are responsive and maped extremely good.The weapon system is not as good as some other games but that donest take anything away from this game.You can all out and try and shoot everyone or in most parts you can sneak around carefully to your objective.I would highly recommend this game. Expand
  68. Apr 14, 2013
    Tomb Raider is FarCry 3 Uncharted 3 blended together.
    Tomb raider has that simple awesome upgrade system. A surviving story that in my opinion beats FarCry 3 story.
    Tomb Raider had few cool puzzles in tombs to solve. In fact the whole game play is full of simple surviving puzzles.
    I loved the story, loved documents and relics collecting with the documentary about each one.
    I give this
    9 .5 because Multiplayer isn't really as good as the game. Expand
  69. Apr 12, 2013
    the only thing bad about this game is that its to short the rest was amazing I love the new lara croft and I hope to see more the expressions on her face were amazing she reacted to death and pain like any normal person would great game must play
  70. Apr 12, 2013
    This is not your traditional Tomb Raider. Puzzles are scarce and too easy to figure out. However, the game play and graphics are amazing. Great stealth and combat mechanics, and the island is beautiful and fun to explore. Don't listen to the whiners complaining about it not being a "Tomb Raider" game. Most of these people don't want to see games improve or evolve. They think the old is automatically better than the new. I am fan of the old school Tomb Raider games, but I love this new approach and game play as well. I would have given the game a 10, but they don't do a good job a repopulating the island with enemies after you cleared it thereby hurting its replay value. Expand
  71. Apr 11, 2013
    Very enjoyable game, great story, beautiful environment, the actions and killing sequences are amazing, the different weapons and their upgrades are really helpful during all history, definitely the Bow is the best weapon, just love it!!!
  72. Apr 11, 2013
    Brilliant game, excellent visuals, fantastic voice acting and an engaging plot. The new Tomb Raider shows how Lara Croft became the heroine that we all used to love. The only reason I'm giving it a 9 is because the multiplayer seemed a bit familiar, it reminded me of Uncharted. This isn't a bad thing though, I had a lot of fun with it.
  73. Apr 8, 2013
    This game in every respect out-does Uncharted and is the best platformer I have played to date! Large set pieces and tight controls make for one of the best feeling and looking platforming to date and the third person shooting (archery) is in no way neglected, all weapons handle well and feel good. But by far the best part of the game is the beautifully done pacing. Gradually improving your weapon and gear, building upon your arsenal feels brilliant.

The Character of Lara Croft is one done extremely well. From the look of the character (thankfully absent of triangular breasts) to the story and development of Lara is compelling and fun.

However the game has some flaws. Besides Lara characters were boring and annoying the large amounts of time Lara was alone were treasured because of this. There were also a maddeningly small amount of "Secret Tombs".

But this should all be looked past when considering the standard this game is on. It should be held among the likes of Uncharted as one of the best platformers.
  74. Apr 7, 2013
    Absolutely amazing game. Finished the campaign in one stretch, couldn't stop playing. Get playing, starts of a bit slow, then gains pace, and the features in the game are amazing.
  75. Apr 6, 2013
    The reviewers are right on about this great game: Crystal Dynamics did a helluva job making a fantastic story merge with addictive gameplay. What a treat in this "dry" year for games so far—I just finished Bioshock Infinite and moved on to the equally awesome but very different Tomb Raider. It IS kinda like Drake's Uncharted with Lara Croft, but the story is even better than any in the Drake's series. Much more character development here and the bow and arrow mechanics are super cool. And saying this game is like Uncharted is a huge compliment....I'll take a well-made game like this any day of the week. You can even inject some stealth into the game with silent takedowns and bow-and-arrow headshots. Hope they make a sequel! Collapse
  76. Apr 5, 2013
    This game is my 2nd favorite game of 2013. the only reason it is in 2nd is because of the multiplayer, but let's not talk about one of it's failures, let's talk about all it's successes. A reboot can be one of two things, it can ruin everything new and creative, or it can be a welcome addition to a series that was dying. This one was the welcome addition. With Uncharted-like platforming, a stellar story, fantastic combat, great stealth sections, and a robust world where you will just want to explore every nook and cranny, it is hard to see where Tomb Raider falls flat. But, it does have one minor flaw, the supporting cast. These guys are just boring, except for maybe Roth. But the rest of this origin story, you feel like Lara Croft. To when an airplane crashes and you have to get away from it, to falling out of a and parachuting through a thick array of trees, this is one origin story you won't want to miss! Lara Croft is an especially great character to play because I have never felt this much caring for a character in gaming since master chief! As for the story, it's nothing we haven't seen before, but it is used differently than the actual times we have seen it. The combat and stealth sections are fast-paced, and the AI isn't just going to let you stay in cover and poke your head out and shoot them. They throw Molotov shoot fire arrows to draw you out of cover and finish you off. They will also make their own cover with tables and other objects. This sounds like it makes for very difficult combat, but for the guns you have, and the specialty arrows at your disposal, they are no match. The stealth section come with this wonderful passive cover system where, when appropriate, Lara will duck in cover to hide from enemies. So if you want a great origin story with one of the most iconic video-game characters ever, this is your game. Expand
  77. Apr 1, 2013
    I was a bit sceptical heading into this game as the last couple of games haven't been that great but I always hold out hope as the first 3 games on the PS1 are some of my all time favourites. Thankfully this is a spectacular return to form for the series. It borrows heavily from certain games in this generation such as most obviously Uncharted but also stealth based games such as Assassins Creed. This isn't a bad thing as it has added a new dimension to the game and it is implemented very well here.

Lara's character is developed quite well, if a bit rushed. The game has a great atmosphere about it and you really feel concerned for Lara due to the constant storms happening. She really does seem to be struggling to survive.

The one criticism I would have is it is very linear. I would have liked to have had bigger areas to explore with multiple pathways. A lot of areas do have two or three ways to progress but they are very close together and don't require much exploration to find.

This game is a massive step in the right direction and I am now eagerly awaiting the follow up. Well done.

TL:DR great return to form. Good action, great story telling and character development. Excellent graphics and atmosphere.
  78. Mar 31, 2013
    This game was fun and entertaining. Now this is my first time really playing through a TR game so my review won't be fully accurate. But here we go. Positives: The storyline was amazing. I am left speechless and wanting more. The combat is fun and entertaining. At times a little easy but still good. The extra items are fun and worth finding. The leveling system felt very well done, but needed a little bit more. The graphics looked amazing and that hair design was just plain fantastic. A good 9-14 hour game. Negatives: The mulitplayer is dull and boring. The game throws you too often into combat and not giving you the chance to hide. The end game feels a little bit lacking like something is missing. The world feels narrow at times and a little bit too scripted. Expand
  79. Mar 31, 2013
    Well I got this game and fell in love with it straight away I'm uncharted crazy so if you love uncharted you will love this it's very similar, well the story was good I really had a feel for Lara in particular I had sympathy for Lara every time she got hurt haha I love the voice acting the graphics are very good there's a few small glitches but nothing major that's why I've given it a 9 otherwise it would be 10 all day the online isn't that great either but it's not bad. The gameplay is great I had fun unlocking all the weapons and buying all the attachments for the guns and going around finding all the relics and documents took me a few days to complete it all so this game will take sometime to complete 100% I highly recommend this game it's my favourite game this year so far Expand
  80. Mar 31, 2013
    ths game was really amazing! Close to uncharted but definitely not as good as! it lacked a little mystery and the voice over for Lara was sometimes annoying. Besides those problems it was a beautiful experience! macnificent visuals!Thank you Crystal dynamics and square enix!
  81. Mar 31, 2013
    I love this game a lot. I'm happy Laura is getting the respect she deserves. She is more than a sex symbol now! She is a human trying to survive. I'm 100% positive that all the bad reviews are forever alones pissed because Laura doesn't have big breast, and they are probably the same people who will give a game like Call of Duty Black Ops 2 a 10/10 rating. Even though call of duty has become so repetitive its boring. At least with this game your getting some excitement. Its hard for me to put the controller down. If your tired of the same old call of duty taking your money for the same thing over and over again, and you want a game that is actually exciting. I would say you must defiantly get a copy of this game. you wont be disappointed. Expand
  82. Mar 30, 2013
    This was a very fun game a few things that could have done better in the campaign like add more guys shooting while you are trying to find objects ect.... The biggest compliant I have with the game are the glitches and bugs in the multi player, OMG it is awful, and that is an understatement!
  83. Mar 28, 2013
    This isn't your grandpa's Tomb Raider. The level of commitment and passion that Crystal Dynamics put into this game is fantastic. I remember playing the old Tomb Raiders, and it was nice to see a breath of fresh air blown into a franchise that was beginning to run a bit stale. The graphics and presentation are excellent. The island of Yamatai is fully-realized and detailed, putting you in the universe with ease. Lara herself looks phenomenal. The writing and story is surprisingly good, well beyond what I expected. I was invested in Lara's character throughout, and was genuinely concerned for her safety throughout. This game truly was all about survival. Gameplay wise, it plays like your standard third-person shooter, with a stealth twist. It was fun, but the similarities to Uncharted were there. The customization and upgrade system was was a nice touch, and the ability to fast travel back to old locations in order to collect missed collectibles was awesome. My one main gripe with the game was the lackluster tombs that populated the games. This IS Tomb Raider after all. The 8 or so tombs that were in the game felt small and simple. Most of them could be solved with very little thought going into them. I would have liked to see a little more attention go into these tombs. My other gripe is the multiplier, which I felt was unnecessary. It feels tacked on and not fully-realized, like they were just looking for something to increase the game's longevity. Overall though, and excellent game that should be played by fans of the franchise and newcomers alike. Expand
  84. Mar 26, 2013
    Every action adventure fan must play this. The gameplay is rich, combat is fun and climbing is even better with lots to explore on the island. The island has a wide variety of amazing environments and is brought to life by the fantastic graphics. There are lots of collectibles and tombs to find, as well as a deep upgrade system. The main story has thrilling set pieces with a well rounded story. Lara is a great character and its her development as a character that makes the story much more exciting, however the rest of the supporting cast are generally lacking. Multiplayer is not worth it, it feels very rushed and underdeveloped. Overall an incredible game that you must not miss out on. Expand
  85. Mar 24, 2013
    Absolutely amazing, such a turn around for a horrible franchise. To put it gently, Tomb Raider was a very bad series, but this new Tomb Raider changes all of that. When completing the game, yes, it can feel like they are holding your hand, but the game is just too epic and amazing to give a crap about something that Uncharted is just as guilty of. Where this Tomb Raider defeats Uncharted is the tombs and optional tombs that await off the beaten path. While in these tombs, there is absolutely no hand holding and I get giddy about the joy to behold when I discovered a hidden tomb deep inside of a cave or inside a merky mountain passage. Inside these tombs, there is brilliant and rewarding puzzles. Buy this game, it is the best game I've played in YEARS. 11/10 in my opinion, but the rating bar only goes up to 10. Expand
  86. Mar 24, 2013
    This game exceeded all expectations, the graphics are really good, the controls are nearly perfect (after a few minutes) and the sound is top notch. The game starts out with way too many QTE's (in my opinion) and at certain points in the game I feel the story borderlines on absurdity (much like the grossly overrated uncharted series) but this is Lara Croft at her finest, never has a Tomb Raider game been this good. If your a fan of action games such as Uncharted then you should definitely pick this up. Expand
  87. Mar 22, 2013
    One of the best action games of all time. The story is on an epic level, and using the bow and arrow with such ease makes you feel like more of a badass then any gun could do. The level of exploration and collectibles will keep you coming back to the singleplayer, and the multiplayer although not revolutionary is a fun little distraction. Play this game!
  88. Mar 21, 2013
    It's like they have entered my mind and gave me the game I always wanted. In my honest opinion, this is an ALMOST perfect game. Think of it as Uncharted meets Far Cry 3 and you'll get a picture of what a great gaming experience this new birth of the TR franchise means. Lara is younger, very much younger, trailing the path to become the famous explorer. She is not confident, she's learning, she's suffering, gradually becoming the fearsome leonesse she'll eventually be. This game gives you everything. Stunning graphics, fluid gameplay, strong atmosphere, movie-like moments of tension, small bits of RPG (like leveling up and upgrading) and a big island to explore (FILLED with collectibles, by the way). I JUST CAN'T PUT THIS GAME DOWN. You know when you are playing a game and you keep feeling sorry that each hour you put in means it will eventually end? I don't want this game to end. It is THAT good. Although this is just March, in a year with a lot of promising releases, I already think Tomb Raider is one of the games of the year (if not THE game). Expand
  89. Mar 20, 2013
    "TOMB RAIDER is an excellent reboot of a gaming icon that proudly celebrates the character that started the action genre to begin with. Lara Croft is a strong, believable & badass character that proves there’s room for the opposite gender in a genre overpopulated by male action heroes.

It’s a brutal game that showcases a young woman braving the elements to survive & become the character
    that fans worldwide have loved for years. It’s not only a fantastic action adventure game with beautiful environments, music & game design but a compelling character piece that proves that this is a series to watch out for.

TOMB RAIDER is a bloody good time, anyone looking for a great semi-open world adventure should definitely look into this. It’s amazing."

Read my full review: http://tmblr.co/ZOA6EyfkoZaI
  90. Mar 20, 2013
    Lara Croft has a long and storied history. As far as famous female video game characters go, she’s second in notoriety only to Princess Peach. Lara debuted during the original PlayStation era to much fanfare, and she was lauded for the style with which she grabbed our attention, and took us on adventure after adventure. It’s true that she’s had her downs, as well, citing the entirety of last generation (and the majority of her cross-over into this one) as one of the most lengthy falls from grace this industry has ever seen, again coming in second, but this time to Sonic the Hedgehog.

The preview screens and videos of this new entry in the series, titled simply “Tomb Raider,” have left a mountain of expectations to live up to. Conjuring images of Naughty Dog’s critically acclaimed Uncharted series a series Lara, herself, inspired and boasting outstanding visuals, mysterious dangers, and eponymous tombs, E3 2010 gave us a glimpse at what Lara hoped to be. But, as Gearbox Software tends to prove time and again… previews don’t necessarily make the game, and after the gigantic Aliens: Colonial Marines debacle, a bit of trepidation crept into the air. You can’t always trust everything that you see.
    Thankfully, those fears were completely unfounded.

Concerning story, the game begins where the E3 2010 previews left us on a (disturbingly) sparsely inhabited island, completely shipwrecked and alone, searching out your crew mates, and trying to avoid those locals along the way. This all started when Ms. Croft had decided to take out an expedition in order to discover the lost kingdom of one notorious “Storm Queen,” a ruler said to have the ability to control weather. She’s also not that great of a person… she also might not have died completely… she may also be haunting the island you’ve crashed on…

As previously stated, the game has been, almost necessarily, compared to Naughty Dog’s Uncharted series, and while the games share certain similarities in their action sequences, it’s generally an extremely poor comparison. Some of the things Tomb Raider does simply haven’t ever been done before. Where Uncharted is a linear action game, Tomb Raider takes place on an open island you can explore at your leisure. Even though the combat is handled similarly in both titles, it’s the breaks between the action that sets Tomb Raider apart. When you’re not engaged in intense firefights, you’re fighting for your survival against weather, fauna, and unfamiliar territory. One thing that Lara and Drake definitely have in common? Four little words: Game of the Year. Lara Croft is back, and once again, she’ll be inspiring game designers the industry over for generations to come.
  91. Mar 19, 2013
    Tomb Raider is an excellent game and a great way to the year! (As much as you can start in march :'P)
    The Story is the origin of the female heroine Lara Croft but this is not the old Lara. This is a new Lara, one that is young and naive and has no past Tomb Raiding experience. I don't wanna ruin the story but as you know Lara is ship wrecked and need's to find a way off the Island, It's
    really rich and engaging and kept me intrigued in the story and wanting to know what happens next. The gameplay is very Uncharted based (Don't hate but it's true) in the way that you take cover while in gun fights, climb up cliffs and ledges, and well...just the overall feel of the gameplay. It's very fun and it works well. The graphics are excellent and really well done, the character models are really good and look realist. Lara herself is probably the best looking thing in the game because she looks and act's like a young women. Throughout playing the game I started to wonder if Crystal Dynamics even liked Lara because of some of the Death scenarios she goes through, I mean some are seriously gruesome, for example, I've seen her impaled by a tree, crushed by boulders, have a metal pipe through the skull and cracked her head open underwater by the current of the sea pushing her into the wall. So as you can see this game is not for the faint hearted as this is the first ever 18 age rated Tomb Raider. Camilla Luddington's performance as Lara is really good, she sells the character really well and plays it off very believable. Now for the weak parts of the game, the big major disappointment for me is the games competitive multiplayer, not only is it extremely weak, generic and nowhere near the standard of the games excellent single player component, it is trying to hard to match Uncharted's multiplayer just because of the way it looks and plays, I have no problem with Uncharted's MP but if you're going to make a copy of it at least put some effort into it and make it good in the progress. My main gripe with the MP is that it wasn't developed in-house at Crystal Dynamics, it was developed at Eidos Montreal which gives me the impression that Crystal didn't want it in the game but Square Enix wanted it placed in the game. The last problem I have is a little one but one that is still should be worked on in games, it's the fact that Lara goes from scared girl to trained killer in the space of about 10 15 minutes, I know she has to adapt to survive and she does have a cry after her first kill but what about the other 500+ men she kills along the way? This was a problem in another game called Far Cry 3, as I'm sure you know, anyway this is a small price to pay. In all really enjoyed the game and I wasn't even a big Tomb Raider fan going into the game. I recommend you all pick up the game if you are past Tomb Raider fans who grew tired of the game and need a new outlook on the series, if you are a fan of the action genre or are just looking for a new game to play I can easily recommend Lara Croft: Tomb Raider! Expand
  92. Mar 18, 2013
    I want to keep this one pretty short. There hasn't been, arguably, a decent Tomb Raider game since Tomb Raider 2 on the PS1 (Underworld had its' moments). Crystal Dynamics, a once promising and innovative developer, had been stuck with the Tomb Raider franchise for years without a solid budget to make truly great games. Finally, with a grand production, this is the Tomb Raider game I'm sure they've wanted to make from the time they were first handed Ms. Croft's legacy. A near-perfect action-adventure game in every way, marred only slightly by a forgettable, and seemingly tacked-on, multiplayer mode. A must own for fans of the genre, a chance to rejoice for fans of Lara Croft and Tomb Raider. And, on a side note, there most likely wouldn't be an Uncharted without there having first been a Tomb Raider, and there wouldn't have been a Tomb Raider without Indiana Jones. Deal with it. Expand
  93. Mar 18, 2013
    A reboot of such an iconic character was never going to be easy, however Crystal Dynamics have hit the mark. This a young Lara Croft, on her first major expedition. However not all is as it seems, Lara finds herself quickly fighting for survival. The voice acting alongside her new origin story only helps in making Lara seem more human than ever before. The combat, while not as polished as some other action games is solid and generally quite pleasing. However the multiplayer part of the game feels like its just slapped on for added bonus as it seems every game now feels it needs to cater for multiplayer. However I doubt anyone would of picked this up to play a multiplayer game. While not as focused on 'raiding tombs' the strength of the game is definitely the story. Lara Croft has been given a new lease of life and I for one can't wait to see where Crystal Dynamics take her next. Expand
  94. Mar 18, 2013
    This game contains a lot more action than the previous installments of the series. But at the same time it also contains a fantastic story with a very believable main character. It is not a story about another super hero fighting his way through countless enemies. Lara has feelings and opinions and they are portrayed in a believable way that even surpasses many movies. That surprising amount of depth makes this one of the rare games these days that take their adult players seriously. This game will certainly have to be a contestant for the game of the year awards. Expand
  95. Mar 17, 2013
    Up until now, I'd never played any of the "Tomb Raider" games, but after seeing a very generous review about it from a critic I appreciate, I decided to give it a try. And let me just say, it was nothing short of a highly satisfying experience. Influenced greatly by the infinitely superb "Uncharted" games, this new and rebooted treatment is not just a great game it's a great story. I got immediately attached to Lara Croft and her comrades, intrigued by the mysteries of the island, and motivated not only to follow the main game story but complete the side tomb raiding missions and search for all sorts of hidden treasures and salvage. It's a very complete game and I loved playing every minute of it. Expand
  96. Mar 17, 2013
    Jogo expetacular gráficos super bem feitos, jogabilidade íncrivel,história surpreendente,e envolvente, O MELHOR JOGO DESSA GERAÇÃO ! Gráficos:10 Som:10 Jogabilidade:10 História:10 NOTA FINAL: 10 THE BEST GAME OF GENERATION! Tomb Raider recuperou seu posto, Muito melhor do que aquela merda de Uncharted ...Uncharted um lixo de jogo. TOMB RAIDER VOLTOU MAIS FORTE DO QUE NUNCA, MELHOR JOGO DESSA GERAÇÃO TOMB RAIDER IRÁ MASSACRAR QUALQUER JOGO QUE ENTRAR EM SEU CAMINHO !
    Tomb Raider 2013 GOTY 2013
    Lara Croft está de volta
  97. Mar 17, 2013
    WinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWinWin Expand
  98. Mar 16, 2013
    One of the best games I've ever played! Words can't express how much I enjoyed this game. I'm a big tomb raider fan and I couldn't have asked for a better reboot than this. It is better than the old in so many was it's incomparable. From the start to finish I was hooked, this game it's amazing in so many ways I would have to go on and on, but I'm not! If you like tomb raider, you'll love this, and and of you like video games, you absolutely have to play this game!! It is now in my top 10 favorite games of all time. A must play. Expand
  99. Mar 16, 2013
    As Tomb Raider was one of the first PS Games I've played in my life, I was really excited for this game, and the result didn't disapoint. Crystal Dinamics made a game that is as fun as addictive, and an epic new beginning for a saga that promises. Tomb Raider is exceptionally great.
    The story introduces us to an innocent Lara and his crew, looking for the lost kingdom of Yamatai. But as
    an awful storm sweeps them away to an unknown island, Lara must learn to survive as she is separated from his crew by some cruel inhabitants. The story, though it doesn't seem much of a Tomb Raider game, it's one of the best of the whole Tomb Raider saga, 96' and on. Lara's transformation from an innocent explorer to a survivor is incredible, though sometimes rushed. The relation between Gameplay and Story is not sublime. One time, Lara is hardly trying to open a deer's stomach. One second later, she is killing everything she finds. But such a small detail does not make the story a pain in the butt. Lara will discover the island's past throughout the game and it will catch us into the story as it gets more and more attractive (And more Croft) near the fantabulous ending, whose epicness is hard to describe. The game, also has some characters moments, but the lack of character development make us feel nothing for them. Let's put it this way: Someone dies, but as no background story or large talks with that character were introduced in the game, we hardly feel as Lara does. We just know she is sad, end of the story.
    One thing I have to praise to the game is the fantastic combat system. The problem with all the Tomb Raider games is that the gameplay is wonky, and sort of falls flat. But Tomb Raider enhances in a smooth way, with one of the best cover systems a video game could only wish for. The two signature guns from the previous games has changed for the 21st century most hyped weapon, The Bow. And Boy, is it good! Almost all guns are good here. And by collecting different things we will get two types of points: XP Points and Savage points. The last one is useful to upgrade our guns, and make them more lethal, silent or a chaos machine. The XP points are also important, as we can unlock different Finishes (Some kind of Fatalities) we can practice on our enemies, or even help us find the tons of collectibles that are hidden everywhere in the game. There are so many, that trying to complete the game a 100% without knowing anything will probably take a normal person around 30 hours of gameplay. There are also Optional Tombs filled with medium-difficulty puzzles that are extremely rewarding, but the greatest thing about the game is the "Uncharted" style Summer Blockbuster playable scenes where we have to avoid being crushed by a plain or escape an exploding bridge. The "Booms" and "Pows" of Tomb Raider really make it special.
    Now, one thing they could have copied from the successful Uncharted saga is the multiplayer, which is a little bit disappointing, but still is fun. This is mainly because of clunky servers and low resolution textures, because the map design is great and full of incredible ideas, though poorly executed. The "trap system", for example, seems more to be on your con side than on your favour. But...I don't care! Tomb Raider is not COD,...by that, I mean you don't buy it for the multiplayer. You buy it for the action-packed, exciting, epic and nerve-wracking campaign that lacks of replayability (At least you really like collectibles) but provides hours of fun the fans of the world's sexiest archaeologist needed. Tomb Raider is a 9.3, but as I don't have the authority to put that score, I will award it with a solid 9.
  100. Mar 16, 2013
    i`ve played and beat this game and i found this to be the best tomb raider game yet.i`m going to say right now this no uncharted.the game has great visuals.and the game play is excellent.you feel connected with lara and her friends as they explore and try to survive.the game is open world to certain point since you can come back and explore old areas to find things you may have missed.this game feels like the old tomb raider games but the only thing they could of done a little better or add more of is the puzzles.the mutliplayer is fun to play. but can get a little boring to fast. i really felt for the lara and her friends.looting tombs and finding treasure is there just like in the old romb raider games and jumping and climbing as well.no matter what anyone says it still tomb raider old with a new look. Expand
  101. Apr 6, 2013

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]