Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Aug 10, 2016
    Tomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautifulTomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautiful graphics, great mechanics, eerie set pieces, dank tombs, lots of collectables, bad ass enemies plus the story is interesting and entertaining. The game is just fun to play, a real good time. They even threw in a little multiplayer to spice things up. If you like tomb raider or uncharted series, you'll really enjoy this... Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2016
    This was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want toThis was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want to continue for more. Definitely worth going back to previous chapters to upgrade the weapons. I wish after completing it, the island becomes bright and sunny when you want to continue the incomplete stuff. The tombs are the puzzles in the game, but I was glad there weren't swarms of enemies inside. Any doubts, I recommend buying it. You won't regret it. Expand
  3. May 12, 2016
    Great game on PS3. It has beautiful graphic and superb control. I played Uncharted before and didn't very like it because felt like watching movie, but Tomb Raider really like playing a game. There are experience, salvage and gear to improve Lara Croft. It has back tracking system to find hidden collectibles as well gain experience and salvage to become the very bad-ass than no one ever was.
  4. May 5, 2016
    Tomb Raider may get a tad repetitive at times, and feels like a femme version of Uncharted. With that said it is still a solid game with great action set pieces, gorgeous graphics, and nice dose of atmosphere. Fast paced (I beat it in about a day and half) and a lot of fun.
  5. Dec 12, 2015
    It's REALLY good.
    It's REALLY good.
    The reboot of the iconic franchise, Tomb Raider is a shining example of what video game characters can be. The game itself is built very well, the story is engaging, the presentation is fantastic, the amount of depth put into it is deep, the gameplay is exciting, and the game is overall breath-taking. But what really makes this game great is it's representation of Lara Croft. She isn't just a hot female protagonist, she's a character that you care about, she's a character is a better Nathan Drake than most other characters in video game history. The only real thing that I didn't like about the game was the survival aspect, being more of a ways to get XP, and the multiplayer really isn't that good, it doesn't mirror the actual game well. (Well, this game has been out for 2 years now, there probably isn't any servers online anymore.) It's great, and is worth every penny.

Tomb Raider gets a 9/10.
  6. Dec 1, 2015
    This was my first Tomb Raider experience and it is safe to say that I am hooked. The designs are beautifully crafted and the story constantly propels you deeper into the life of Lara Croft. This game always had exciting thrills and was a fun adventure from start to finish. A must own and addicting in the best way.
  7. Nov 9, 2015
    I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however....I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however.... even on PS3 this game is breathtaking obviously not as much as the first time, but from memory of me playing it on PC, i have no qualms with it's visuals at all and the game remains at a stable enough framerate even during heavy combat.
    I own all previous TR games across a few systems.. PS1/Dreamcast/PS2/PS3 this TR is different, but in a good way, exploring the open parts of the game, (i say parts as you have to fast travel to other areas) is fun, trying to locate all docs/GPS Caches/Tombs and relics is a nice side quest, and gives this game more to it's fundamental gameplay armory.
    A 10/10 experience.
  8. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If You Loved This Video Game So Much You Sud Intend To Buy It Right **** Cunning Now? Gotta Too Play This Game On PlayStation 3 And PlayStation 4 And XBOX ONE Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2015
    I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactlyI have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactly excited with the others. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate them and I still play them occasionally. THIS TR game was thrilling. I spent hours trying to get everything the game offered. I had moment of feeling like I was actually in the game. There was so much action, I was actually sweating. I love this game and I am definitely unhappy the sequel will only be on the XBOX. This game is a breathe of fresh air. The story is gritty and dark, but so good! The graphics were great. The controls were great. I do have to say the some missions were more difficult as there wasn't enough information available to know what to do. Then again. I was playing that mission at 3:30 AM.

I really didn't like the supporting characters though. It seemed like they were more in the way than anything else.

I recommend this game for TR fans that might have gotten bored, but still loved the franchise.
  10. Jan 16, 2015
    This game drove me crazy, all it has is extremely well done, characters, effect, fights, weapons,music, sounds, everything is wonderfull, I love lara since now, hahha 10/10
  11. Jan 7, 2015
    This is one of the best tomb raider game. I'm a fan of Tomb Raider games. Played every tomb raider except Tomb Raider Underworld. Puzzles are rather simpler in this game. But background atmosphere and visuals are awesome. deserves 9/10.
  12. Jan 5, 2015
    Class game of high quality - stunning graphics, brilliant acting and voice acting - especially by Camilla Luddington and Robin Atkin Downes. Take part in a thrilling storyline, with good gameplay - if not a little unrefined. Do those guards over there have infinite molotovs?!?!? (Reminds me of the Rocket Launchers in Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

8/10 - Ben Hazelden
  13. Dec 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is an excellent game that gets completely revamp the series. The game tells the first adventure of Lara Croft, the origin of the famous explorer from a terrible tragedy and their struggle to survive. A game that manages all your purposes, and does not disappoint anyone.

-------------------------- Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la

--------------------------

Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la saga. El juego nos cuenta la primera aventura de Lara Croft, el origen de la famosa exploradora desde una terrible tragedia y su lucha por sobrevivir. Un juego que logra todo sus propositos, y que no defraudara a nadie.
  14. Nov 11, 2014
    I liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other gamesI liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other games that released at the same time as it. I felt almost immediately like I understood who Laura was and what her goals were when she got to the island. The story definitely carried me threw the game, but unfortunately the last 2 hours of story just dragged a bit much for me. SPOILERS AHEAD - (I thought I was almost done with the game when I saved my friend and escaped the temple and etc. etc. two more hours were left and they dragged) SPOILERS OVER The final boss fight was a glorified quick time event, and while I'm not opposed to QTEs I think the boss battle should have rewarded me for all the upgraded weapons I had made.

The game play was good. It runs a lot like other third person shooters. I enjoyed the mix of weapons which as they upgraded added new options for working my way through the mass of bad guys in each level. The platforming parts of the game were great. The rush that comes from being shot at while trying to balance or make a well timed leap is great. There were some puzzle only sections in the special tombs that could be found and raided for weapon and skill upgrades.

The upgrade system for skills and weapons was pretty well rounded and didn't dive too deep into the "once you get that move you are unkillable" world that some games do. It also wasn't pointless. Some of the upgrades really do make Laura a better stalker which is how I tried to play a lot of the game. It isn't a stealth game per say but I liked that I could play a very stealthy Laura and not have every encounter devolve into a machine gun blasting rampage. Don't get me wrong those are great, but I like that some areas could be handled more tactically.

Tomb raider let's you explore a vast island with different open areas that you only end up returning to once or twice in the story playthrough. I had the option to return more than that as my skills went up to find more secrets, tombs, and upgrades; but I was able to play through the game without doing too much extra stuff. I was never forced to do a side quest and could always choose how deep I wanted to go into the island's mysteries. I am still considering going back and trying for the platinum, but there are so many games I have left to play right now.

My favorite part of the game was probably the "Secret tomb puzzles". These pure platform puzzle areas were unique and made me utilize my head instead of just jumping for the yellow bar like some games. The rewards for the puzzles were usually key parts to upgrading a gun or a significant skill boost. I didn't groan when I found a tomb because I knew they would make me more survivable and not reward me with a stupid multiplayer costume.

My least favorite part of the game had to be the two different gore tunnels Laura found herself in during the game. The tunnels weren't full of enemies or traps, it just made you wade or crawl slowly through a mush of human and animal remains. I'm not sure what the purpose of this was other than to freak out my wife who was watching during one session or to make me annoyed at the slow pace the two scenes add to the game. I wasn't held in suspense, just a little queasy at the end.

This game does a great job of blending story, character, and gameplay. It ends before it gets too repetitive and there are ample opportunities to return and do extra work on the island. It looks and sounds beautiful. This game made me want to go back and play older tomb raider games so it's definitely doing something right.

In Conclusion

+ Audio and Visual style
    + Skill and weapon upgrade system
    + game play especially tombs, and puzzles with enemies
    - Gore tunnels
    - Story lasts a little bit too long
  15. Oct 11, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played for its amazing visuals, fantastic story, interesting characters especially Lara who portrayed so well by Camilla Luddington, excellent gameplay and a gorgeous open world. This game would have been a 10 if not for its multiplayer, I mean its not the worst multiplayer ever but its not that exciting.
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    Let me start by saying that this is the very first Tomb Raider title I have ever played, though I have played and extremely enjoyed the Uncharted series. I thought this game was a whole lot of fun and it's a truly fresh way to introduce us to Lara Croft. The level design is fantastic, the graphics are beautiful and the action set pieces are pretty extreme.

You will enjoy using the bow

You will enjoy using the bow and arrow a whole lot, especially once you get flaming and exploding arrows.

It's a really great game and I enjoyed it till the very end. Doesn't best Uncharted for me, but it's a close second when it comes to adventure games such as these. I definitely recommend this one, go out and buy it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
  17. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.
  18. Jun 26, 2014
    This is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn'tThis is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn't an Uncharted game. Thank Christ for that. Expand
  19. May 5, 2014
    The reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. AwesomeThe reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. Awesome stuff. The only downside is having to wait for the sequel. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2014
    It's a great game, the gameplay is awesome, although it borrows a lot of the Uncharted series, but so did the first Uncharted from the older Tomb Raider games.
    The story is cliché as hell and is full of stereotypical characters, but doesn't go stupid at all.
  21. Apr 14, 2014
    I've never played the original games, and I honestly not sure if I would have ever gotten around to playing this one if it weren't for PS Plus. It's just not a series I have taken any previous interest in. Well all that changes with this latest entry. It's single-player makes for one of the best action experiences you'll find in gaming, and it's just an all around blast.

The game looks

The game looks fantastic, and the voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The story is mostly well-done, and the characters emotions are believable, even if they aren't these aren't the smartest survivors out there. Even main character Lara Croft fails to recognize the obvious twists in the story until hours after they have been revealed. This is all forgivable when you're actually playing the game, taking in it's fantastic setting and atmosphere, and experiencing it's many awesome set-pieces.

Gameplay here is excellent. It clearly borrows from the Uncharted series, and rivals that series in many ways with it's excellent gunplay and platforming. Environments are filled with collectibles and other items to scavenge that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are plenty of reasons to pull yourself away from the main quest for a little bit. Even doing things like hunting animals can gain you valuable XP that you can use to upgrade Lara's survival skills. With all the fun stuff that is going on, the story mode can be hard to put down. Sadly the same can't be said for the game's multiplayer, which is a truly buggy and unpolished experience.

With characters that glitch around the map, rough graphics, and severe balancing issues, this is the epitome of a good game with bad multiplayer. It feels unfinished and rushed, and conflicts are largely one-sided affairs where one side completely destroys another with no apparent reasoning. I had matches where my bullets would take out my opponents in a few hits, only to experience another match where it felt like I was shooting my opponents BB gun pellets. The multiplayer feels broken, and it in no way matches the extreme level of excellence that the campaign achieves. I was done with it after only a few matches, and I would have given the game a better score had multiplayer not been included at all.

Overall the majority of this game is incredibly impressive. From a technical standpoint it's gorgeous and plays perfectly. It's story mode is tight and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you avoid the multiplayer you will have a blast with the game. This is one 3rd person action game with a story-mode that rivals even the work of the mighty Naughty Dog. Truly this is one you do not want to miss. I give it an 8.5/10-Great.
  22. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  23. Mar 23, 2014
    I very much wanted to hate this game as to me it looked like a Uncharted Clone and im not the biggest fan of the story of uncharted was never that strong.

But the story is a lot stronger but not with out it's flaws. The gun/bow play is very enjoyable and the setting is lovely.

It defiantly worth a buy.
  24. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  26. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confidentTomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confident survivor although some scenes like Lara''s first kill felt unneccesary as after she slo-mo kills three kills with not so much as a flinch. The gameplay in Tomb Raider is great, the combat is fantastic thanks to a great variety of weapons and gear but unlike the first Uncharted it feels more like skipping the cutscenes for the combat than the other way round. The first hour or so feels quite slow and filled with button mashing QTE's that feel out of place. The puzzles that made tomb raider famous return's here but without the bigger and more complex mechanisms and alot more hand holding like the new special ability "survival instincts" which highlights any objects that can be interacted with and just makes things easier. Tomb Raider's multiplayer is a glitchy mess that is no fun and should not be played by anyone. Tomb Raider provides thrills throughout but is bogged down by a broken multiplayer and underdevolped side characters.
    8.5/10
  27. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  28. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  29. Feb 21, 2014
    This is good games, the graphics are beautiful, the puzzles are stimulating, and the story was thrilling till the end. It was amazing seeing how Lara changed throughout the game.
  30. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  31. Jan 25, 2014
    This game just changed the Tomb Raider franchise forever. To be honest, I never really enjoyed the old games, they were a little cheap when it came to story and controls. But this game is just incredible, and has completely reinvigorated series.

Graphics: 10/10 beautifully designed, this game just looks amazing, and balances grit, horror and beauty perfectly Story 10/10 The game's

Graphics: 10/10

Story 10/10
    The game's real strong point, the story is very moving and powerful, and it really does develop interesting characters. Rebooting Lara's character was a brilliant move, and the single setting made for a much better game that previous installments

Game play: 10/10
    The game play fuses platforming, exploration and third person shooter perfectly to give an enthralling and exciting game experience

Choosing to give Lara more... realistic... features was probably the best decision made in the development, and giving her genuine character, flare and strength was just brilliant. She goes from being an inexperienced but determined beginner to being a born survivor, and while the pace of her transformation isn't exactly realistic, the game does give a lot in the way of character development.

This game just changed the way people look at Lara Croft. From now on, I think we can expect gem after gem. Truly inspirational, and by far the best in the series.
  32. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the gameEven though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  33. Jan 19, 2014
    I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment,I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment, and it evokes the archaeologist-on-mystery-adventure theme perfectly. I was surprised (due to the ratings) and pleased. I'm saddened only by the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to play and experience the previous Tomb Raider games (it was the movies that introduced me to the franchise), and with the release of PS4 it is unlikely that I'll experience further releases of the game. Expand
  34. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've everTruly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  35. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good forOk, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good for explorations(open-world) and surely both realistic & beautiful.The gameplay was also very exciting (especially while in stealth mode with the bow or hand to hand combat).The story was also very interesting(keep in mind that the letters you will find in the game are important to understand the whole history of the game and the character's history and personality too).The atmosphere was also very good.I can't remember if the music was also good(actually I don't remember anything from the music of tomb raider).Tomb raider is one of the best games released in ps3 console up until today and it's in the top 4 favourite games I've ever played. Expand
  36. Dec 17, 2013
    Great game, best Tomb Raider so far enjoyed playing this as much as The uncharted games which I've played all 3 and loved them all.Kept playing till I'd got all collectibles and reached 100%, which proves how good it is.
  37. Dec 13, 2013
    For me a great reboot for the series I liked it very much the story was ok the cutscenes were great as well as the graphics and the gameplay was very fun....all weapons were nice and you could use everyone with pleasure the platforming was good and the variety of melee attacks was good but i didnt really liked the feel of it i cant really describe it I loved the fact that lara becomes aFor me a great reboot for the series I liked it very much the story was ok the cutscenes were great as well as the graphics and the gameplay was very fun....all weapons were nice and you could use everyone with pleasure the platforming was good and the variety of melee attacks was good but i didnt really liked the feel of it i cant really describe it I loved the fact that lara becomes a badass step by step as the story evolves and the multiplayer is not very good but better than I exprctrd overall a great game that everyone should play!!! Expand
  38. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.
  39. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿LoEs el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  40. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10. Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  41. ERB
    Nov 1, 2013
    What an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darnWhat an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darn good.Okay those are some of the good parts and here are the parts that are missing in this game.First of all after finishing the whole game there will be no more enemies to kill.I wish the enemies here are not limited.Second its almost not like a survival game because after she eats one deer there you go you don't need to eat anymore.Sometimes a video game character needs to eat more food.Finally the last one the most important one....there is no more Croft Manor!With the kind of graphics the game has it will be awesome if the manor is in this game.Well anyway this game is good.So for all of you Tomb Raider fans out there you must buy this game and play it. Expand
  42. Oct 28, 2013
    The attention to detail put into this game is stunning. The controls are spot-on solid, and I loved watching how Lara reacted to various traversals and environments so exploring was always welcome and wanted. The pacing is excellent and characters believable. One of the most fun games to play and easily recommendable to almost anyone.
  43. Oct 21, 2013
    A piece of art. It's a game of adventure and action, and it has some puzzles to test your intelligence.
    there are many obstacles that Lara faces witch makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the game a lot!
  44. Sep 29, 2013
    When i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell youWhen i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell you that i was DEAD WRONG!! Tomb Raider is an absolutely amazing game that as much as it pains me to say it definitely puts Uncharted to shame! Everything in this game from the story to the graphics, the locations and the characters is all breathtaking. If you haven't played this title yet do yourself a favor and go pick it up! Without a doubt one of my contenders for game of the year Expand
  45. Sep 15, 2013
    This game combines a great story with a variety of gameplay styles, it draws from genres like adventure-type platforming and a variety of shooting-style game staples.

The level/upgrade system allows players to actually earn skills rather than just a variety of outfits for Lara. As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more

As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more realistic (both physically and emotionally) characters.

The main fault I would note is that puzzle components could have been more difficult. Even without the flashing white hints, it doesn't take long to work through the actual tombs.
  46. Sep 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed it, it's a lengthy story, quite adventurous. I liked the characters, and story line was quite interesting, not your average meaningless shooter without any concept, this is definitely different in these terms. The graphics are awesome, and the landscapes are really beautiful. Just a really great game, enjoyable with good ending.
  47. Sep 12, 2013
    Tomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are noTomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are no objective matches.Nonetheless i suggest you to get the game.You wont be bored.It has a great story and characters. Expand
  48. Aug 30, 2013
    Its an Awesome game to play it will lead you in to the amazing world full of surprises through out the game you will never going to know what's going to happen next love the graphics and the whole environment and of course the beautifully created cut scenes.I love this game thank you Eidos Interactive and Core Design,Crystal Dynamics for making such a beautiful game love You guys
  49. Aug 29, 2013
    Well first to say, I'm not a fan of the saga. In fact, the game didn't actually got my attention. I bought it to my girlfriend and I played with her for some hours... I wasn't really enjoying too much. One day I decided to complete the game in one afternoon and pass this out.... but then I realized, It was not a bad game at all.
    All the repetitive tasks you do are beautifully hide bellow
    All the repetitive tasks you do are beautifully hide bellow the diferent enviroments you'll find. Yes, you have to do the same over and over, but, somehow... It's ok.
    This may be one of those games that... were created from other games. So... yes, it's uncharted legacy at the time you have to run up bridges, escaping while they collapse, and the piolet....excuses to climb mountains. But I enjoyed uncharted a lot, and I like to see a game with the same characteristics, not involving Nathan drake, I love uncharted 3, but I really think the saga needs to stay down for a bit, and get new fresh ideas. Meanwhile, let's enjoy with young lara.
    Technically, is a very good game. Graphics are ok. I am happy to see the good versions on PC, PC version may be even at the same level of uncharted. But uncharted has this...magic touch, and this game don't. So nothing to say on graphics. Very good and works perfect.
    The music...is very good... but nowadays, it's very difficult to see a game with a bad soundtrack. Enjoyable, some times epic... and the spanish voices... impresive. Good job there.
    Now the good parts. Playable options are very good in my opinion. Lara is tough, agile, and learns how to kill....quickly. But the variety on tools and weapons.... it's great. Reminds of old Zelda titles where you need to have an object to continue, and also you can go back unlocking different areas. Superb there. Exploration is very fun, probably the best part of the game. Combat... not so good, but ok as well. I played dificult... it's only difficult with 10 enemys shooting at you... but that's always difficult. Shooting could be better, and a bow is a weapon of mass destruction (Rambo, no more words). At the end of the game, you'll only use the bow, and start dodging all the attacks to do a deadly combo. It passes, but not superb.
    The bad parts... hunting=useless. Don't hunt, you're wasting bullets and arrows. The "batman detective" vision, is ok, but it seems like they forced lara to only use it without moving because they didn't want people to compare it with batman games.... and it's an error. It should be better if you can move with it. Or at least, if some powerups at the end of the game allowed you to do it! that should be an easy way to unlock and should be very helpful to get the 100% of the game. I passed 30 minutes looking for an item, running and clicking l2 button repetitively! the sound was crazy.
    And probably, the worst part....the story. It's topic, you know what's going to happen.... at 30 minutes of play. Secondary all. I don't save even Grim, the drunk guy. The hell with him, I was hoping he had an estellar apperance....
    I am one of those that...really need a good story to tell in a game. So why an 8?... maybe because during the experience....I did forget that and focus on the gameplay. The story may be bad...but the scenarios, the mountains, the caves....are really good. Artistically I loved it, and the Yamatai story... not superb, but great. I liked how they used Japanish folkrore without ending in the same topics....
    And it should be a 7.... but 1 holly point is nothing but...Lara character. I said, I'm not a fan of Lara croft.... but this Lara is the charismatic girl I want to see in more games. I heard once it was like john maclaine... and it's true! always punishing her, hurting her, hiting her, stabbing her! I wanted her to kill them all!!! And at the end of the game, when she starts saying things like, "DIE BASTARDS, DIE" she really was meaning it....and I was just thinking about that. It was total empathy, and it works.

So summary, I really recommend this game. It's fun. It gets you to remember other games you enjoyed, and at least... it's all about gameplay. It may be the first time I got all collectibles at the time I beat the final boss.

Very good game.
  50. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  51. Aug 21, 2013
    Being a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line wasBeing a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line was awesome, not to long but not to short, just right! And there lots of 'Tombs' to 'Raid' lol, upgradable guns, secrets to uncover. All in all i give this game a rating of 10/10 cause u know who wouldn't, Tomb Raider is just an awesome game, especially if ya bored and ya wanna go hunting for animals.

-AG-
  52. Aug 18, 2013
    I found this game to be worth a solid 8.5, it was a great campaign that took you through a well rounded adventure. though the multiplayer, the character dialogue and side missions could have been better. This game took an old franchise and gave it a fresh new look with a mixture of uncharted, the last of us and far cry 3, though just like far cry 3 and uncharted (as great as they were),I found this game to be worth a solid 8.5, it was a great campaign that took you through a well rounded adventure. though the multiplayer, the character dialogue and side missions could have been better. This game took an old franchise and gave it a fresh new look with a mixture of uncharted, the last of us and far cry 3, though just like far cry 3 and uncharted (as great as they were), they take the realistic aspect away from certain scenes and chapters, this effect is also took a toll on this game, and though it is understandable based upon the plot, i do believe they could have made it more believable at times.

The setting, the enemies and the plot twists were great up to the point were they were predictable, (also where uncharted and far cry suffered).

Though as much as i can nitpick, i'd say definitely play this game, its a great game to experience and not a bad way to spend 12 hours.
  53. Aug 17, 2013
    Tomb Raider is simply a bunch of fun. The length of the game is satisfyingly long without being exhausting, and side features such as weapon upgrades, collectables, and above all, tombs, improve the quality of gameplay. In addition, the graphics are stunning and the story is certainly engaging.
  54. Aug 16, 2013
    By far the best PS3 game I've played for a LONG time! If you are a fan of the Uncharted series, then you're gonna love this one too. Great action and platforming with a story a lot like something from Uncharted. Although this is a somewhat dark and (sometimes) creepy game with quite a decent amount of blood and gore it's still an amazing game that's worthy of a replay sometime.
  55. Aug 16, 2013
    To set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments wereTo set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments were great, voice acting top notch, and the game play had a lot of the traditional Tomb Raider without being overly difficult or cumbersome... I enjoyed the whole game, BUT, OMG, The MP IS ABOUT THEN MOST HORRIBLE THING I have ever seen on this generation console... WHY DID THEY BOTHER? I played it once and almost barfed at the stark contrast. Play it for the single player experience and move onto something else. for me, I am going back and catching up with the Dishonored DLC. Expand
  56. Aug 8, 2013
    In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.In general, how can I describe Tomb Raider? Yeah, its not perfect…but it’s damn close in my opinion and that is pretty amazing. Lara’s evolution in this game really brings out an aspect of her that was not there in the previous games, she’s human. The first installment of Tomb Raider in the new series is an extremely strong one and may even be a candidate for 2013′s Game of the Year.

FULL REVIEW AT: http://hapticzone.wordpress.com/page/2/
  57. Aug 6, 2013
    I'm currently on 65% to complete 1st walkthrough and I think there is nothing until end which can spoil this score. Game is awesome. Only bad thing is that it's little too easy.
    Story, game mechanics and everything else works just fine!

Feels like Tomb Raider meet Far Cry 3 and Uncharted!
  58. Aug 4, 2013
    I felt this game was good introduction to the franchise to me. The strong points of this game are the story and the aesthetics. The story was well crafted and engaging, even if you would have liked it to longer, it was enjoyable all the way through. The level design was really well done in this game and the variety make the visual side exciting too.
  59. Aug 3, 2013
    I've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it'sI've never played a Tomb Raider game really apart from Legend on DS but as this stands this is a great game. I'm a big fan of Uncharted and while it is similar, it's also very different too. I found Tomb Raider a pretty solid game with good gameplay, graphics and voice acting, but the latter is not perfect. The story revolves around the beginning days of Lara Croft as a survivor and it's interesting to see how she became the hardened killer we know and love.
    Weapon combat is very satisfying and it's nice to be able to upgrade your weapons, but the physical combat is pretty average. I also like the touch that Lara sticks automatically to walls when enemies are near, something Uncharted never had.
    Graphics are also very nice to look at across the island and you can spend more time afterwards wandering about the place when collecting items and other collectibles. And there is a ton of things to pick up, make no mistake.
    Overall, an excellent game that portrays Lara Croft's character arc very well, with great gameplay, nice environments and acting.
  60. Aug 1, 2013
    "Tomb Raider" is an Action/Adventure gamer's dream. Lots of fans may compare "Tomb Raider" to the "Uncharted" series because of the gameplay style but let me assure you, "Tomb Raider" is a game of it's own. The combat system is amazing and I must say the highlight is the bow & arrow. You have a choice to attack enemies in a blaze of glory or attack them with stealth. The island that Lara"Tomb Raider" is an Action/Adventure gamer's dream. Lots of fans may compare "Tomb Raider" to the "Uncharted" series because of the gameplay style but let me assure you, "Tomb Raider" is a game of it's own. The combat system is amazing and I must say the highlight is the bow & arrow. You have a choice to attack enemies in a blaze of glory or attack them with stealth. The island that Lara raid's is huge and full of amazing landscapes, puzzles, & all the things core Tomb Raider fans will love. This adventure is a non-stop thrill ride from creators Crystal Dynamics. Expand
  61. Jul 27, 2013
    It's not easy for a game to make my shelf as it's a (figuratively) small shelf. The PS3 side consists of the Assassin's Creed series, the Resident Evil series, Bisoshock trilogy, Soul Calibur and Tekken, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and Red Dead Redemption. The PC side consists of the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age Origins and II, the Dead Space trilogy, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 and 2,It's not easy for a game to make my shelf as it's a (figuratively) small shelf. The PS3 side consists of the Assassin's Creed series, the Resident Evil series, Bisoshock trilogy, Soul Calibur and Tekken, Final Fantasy 7 and 8, and Red Dead Redemption. The PC side consists of the Mass Effect trilogy, Dragon Age Origins and II, the Dead Space trilogy, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 and 2, SWKOTOR 1 and 2, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Metro 2033 and eventually Last Light.

Now because games are so expensive and most of them are a couple hours of linear junk, I tend to rent games from Gamefly to see if they make the shelf. I've played some good and bad games this way but none have even come close to the shelf. My assumption was that this game would be no different. I'm glad to have been wrong and this game will be making the PC shelf for sure (even though I rented it for PS3).

Now as a youngin I played most if not all the TR games though I don't remember liking them all that much. This game, however, I thoroughly enjoyed. The new take on Lara Croft is perfect in my opinion. The appearance change is great. She went from an over exaggerated bimbo to a classy kind of beautiful. Her personality is also very likable with the perfect mix of typical girl, explorer and badass.

The story was also top notch which is an absolute must for a game like this. The characters were well done as well and the gameplay was thoroughly enjoyable. The graphics were great for this generation of console and I can't wait for the next installment on next gen. Voice acting was also top notch.

The weapon modification was great though more personalized customization would always be nice. The skill progression worked but definitely needs to be expanded upon. The environments were varied and enjoyable both visually and gameplay-wise. I felt they did a great job of having the game be quite linear (which undoubtedly helps the story telling side) yet still have plenty of exploration involved. This was enhanced by all the cool tools, weapon upgrades and mechanics in the game. Overall there was not much I didn't like about the game.

As for things I didn't like, there were very few. My major gripe was sound effects and dialogue volume being linked in the options menu. I don't know what buffoon came up with that idea but s/he should get a stern talkin-to.

Next, and this is something I'm a bit on the fence about, were QTEs (quick-time-events). They are very fitting for a game like this and they didn't go overboard with them but they can be so immersion-breaking when you fail them (especially if you fail them multiple times). However. they are a good fit for a game like this so, I'm a bit torn.

Lastly I felt, at times, they went a bit overboard with beating on Lara. I realise it is done to get the point across that she is a survivor and a badass but I just feel they went a bit overboard at times. Really I just had an issue with one seen where some guy starts punching Lara's face in. I felt they did a great job of getting across her survivorness (so to speak) but that one scene was over the top and unnecessary in my opinion.

Overall, I think the guys and gals at Crystal did a superb job rebooting the series, I love just about everything they did and I now have another great game to add to the shelf. Fix the options menu (add more options and don't link options that should never, ever be linked), expand upon the skill progression, add more customization options and this series will be top notch for sure.

Well done all at Crystal Dynamics. 9 out of 10 and you guys have got yourself a new fan.
  62. Jul 26, 2013
    This isn't a Tomb Raider game. This is more like a Uncharted and Far Cry mixed game. The gameplay, graphics and the story is awesome and Lara looks amazing. But, the game is missing the puzzles and the feeling that old Tomb Raider games. If you love action games you must buy it but if you are and old-school Tomb Raider fan don't expect the same kind of a game.
  63. Jul 20, 2013
    This is a really fun 3rd person action adventure game. If you take the story with a grain of salt you will have a good time. This is the first female character in a video game that I thought was pretty hot (can't believe i'm saying that). You have to throw out all of your previous TR knowledge and passion. This is a complete reboot. I can't wait until the next one. The game is pretty shortThis is a really fun 3rd person action adventure game. If you take the story with a grain of salt you will have a good time. This is the first female character in a video game that I thought was pretty hot (can't believe i'm saying that). You have to throw out all of your previous TR knowledge and passion. This is a complete reboot. I can't wait until the next one. The game is pretty short even on hard and you don't have to raid any tombs to complete the game which is kinda weird. But overall really fun, immersive sound and a hot chick killing bad guys. Expand
  64. Jul 15, 2013
    The graphics alone in this game are enough to make it worth playing. The way the story is told in such a dark, mature way makes the experience that much better. I have to say, my only disappointment came from the predictable story-line, but that's just what you get in Tomb Raider games.
  65. Jul 7, 2013
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. i was never huge fan of the tomb raider franchise, but after reading so many reviews of the game and hearing all the critical acclaim about it, i had to check it out. needless to say, i wasnt at all disappointed. though i am not too familiar with prior work crystal dynamics has done before, this game stands out in the puzzle/action genre that i hope future games of its kind will model itself after. the graphics and visual aspects of the game, the sound design and replay value of the game is awesome.

over the course of roughly 2 weeks since i first recieved the game, i beat the game in about 3 or 4 days, with a final completion score of 82%. i would play the game for a couple of hours at a time, and always looked forward to coming back to it. the game is in fact an origin story. that is, provides an interesting idea of how lara croft did became the strong survivalist character we identify with her as a being pop culture icon we know her as today. The game is developed by Crystal Dynamics. to my knowledge, they havent done anything previously that has really stood out to me in the gaming industry (though if anyone wishes to suggest a game of theirs i should check out, please do). they have done a truly great job with the game. the overall visual design of the game is absolutely beautiful and the play mechanics of controlling Lara are smooth, clean and precise.. the sound design captures the immersive environment incredibly well varying from a thick jungle to a sprawling mountain town with accompanying various changes of realistic weather as you progress through the game. the combat, which drives about 75% of the gameplay, borrows subtle incredients from the recent Resident Evil games we've seen in recent years and is fluid, engaging and thanks to the rich various different environments, i never found dull.

if you appreciate the more technical aspects of current gen games, the game has a lot of great visual effects that add to the overall experience which one would really appreciate, not to also mention things like realistic destructible cover during the intense shoot out scenes and its environments, ragdoll physics mechanics with the bodies of enemies as they hurl through the air during explosions and the like. overall, these elements done so amazingly well help to drive a fun game play experience.

the game has a compelling storyline with a few subtle plot twists, and it is easy to identify with lara as a protagonist. this game is rated 'M' for mature and for good reason. Lara gets bloodied, beaten up and in an extreme capacity that would make even the most hardened gamer or even horror movie fan of gore cringe occasionally. the game is of course an adventure/shooter game with lots of shoot-out set pieces. it offers lots of use of weapons for lara to find and learn to use anything from a pick axe,a pistols, machine guns and even (my favourite) the awesome bow and arrow. this game offers a warm welcome to such a primitive weapon. it's fun to use and being able to pull off headshots is just incredibly satisfying.

one thing i of course must mention is the puzzle solving aspect to the game. the puzzles arent as heavily placed in prior games. in fact, they are entirely optional to pursue. you can get by without engaging in any of them which are found in tombs placed all throughout the game, but ignoring them completely even on a second playthrough would be discouraged. the rewards from solving these puzzles rewards Lara very generously with bonus XP and that is always a great thing! on a personal note though, i felt that they often slowed down the pace of the game and as i came across these tombs, i really debated with myself if i really wanted to do them at all.

as said earlier, the story line is engaging and rarely has a dull moment. the action never lets up, and is a great game that offers the player tons of replay value to return back to previous locales to look for any outstanding secret areas. i cant see this as game that too many people will be returning, trading or selling for something else in the long term. i recommend this to anyone who likes the puzzle/adventure games but also enjoys the intense action of 3rd person shooter. This Tomb Raider game has in some ways set the bar for future games of its kind to model after.

i would happily rate this as one of the top 10 games for 2013.
  66. Jul 6, 2013
    Never played any other Tomb Raider. Figured the this title would be a good starting point. Was a lot like a female version of the Uncharted games. Really enjoyed the story and the survival tactics used in the game.
  67. Jul 1, 2013
    I was insanely happy with this game. I like the change in Lara and it makes her, as a character, much more relatable. I'm really glad I bought this game. The game play was different and I like how the puzzles were challenging. It was definitely nice to see this reboot of the series.

I was so thrilled i even cosplayed as her at a local convention!
  68. Jun 28, 2013
    This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try!This game just felt right to me. I enjoyed every second of it and I would play it again. Everything is well crafted and you get a well written story. Sure, it is not too innovative and there are too many shooting passages, but as the superb controls really match up for this. If you like Action-Adventures like Uncharted, Darksiders and everything inbetween, you should really give it a try! Hope they will come up with a sequel Expand
  69. Jun 27, 2013
    This is the first Tomb Raider game that I've ever played because Lara Croft's character just always seemed too cartoonish for me. This reboot, though, is really amazing. Croft's character is one that you instantly care about and the gameplay is exciting and polished. Also, this game actually makes using a bow fun, unlike other's who have attempted to incorporate the weapon.
  70. Jun 25, 2013
    This game is amazing! I can't believe it took me so long to play it! It has the best graphics I've seen in a game. Those graphics are backed by super fun gameplay mechanics and amazing storytelling. If they make a sequel, I'll be in line for a midnight release.
  71. Jun 24, 2013
    Excellent campaign enjoyed from start to finish, outstanding graphics on the much loved but ageing PS3...campaign is 10/10 only let down by disappointing multiplayer
  72. Jun 24, 2013
    This game was great.It had a good story and amazing action. The game had me playing and didnt want me to stop.It was also a great restart,in my opinion, for the Tomb Raider franchise.I feel that this game should be played by anyone who is a fan of Tomb Raider,or if you just love games.Though my biggest complaint would have to be the half-assed multiplayer.It feels tacked on and tacky.AlsoThis game was great.It had a good story and amazing action. The game had me playing and didnt want me to stop.It was also a great restart,in my opinion, for the Tomb Raider franchise.I feel that this game should be played by anyone who is a fan of Tomb Raider,or if you just love games.Though my biggest complaint would have to be the half-assed multiplayer.It feels tacked on and tacky.Also i felt as if there was no replay value.Other than those problems this game is a GOTY contender in my book. Expand
  73. Jun 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic game and a perfect reboot for the franchise. I'll def. compare this to Uncharted, but then again Tomb Raider started it all. Love the story, the atmosphere/brutality, upgrading weapons the action and the pace. I gave this game an 8 on the fact that even though I enjoyed it, I don't feel myself wanting to play it again or keep it after a rent. There's not a lot ofTomb Raider is a fantastic game and a perfect reboot for the franchise. I'll def. compare this to Uncharted, but then again Tomb Raider started it all. Love the story, the atmosphere/brutality, upgrading weapons the action and the pace. I gave this game an 8 on the fact that even though I enjoyed it, I don't feel myself wanting to play it again or keep it after a rent. There's not a lot of replay value and all your weapon upgrades are void once you start a new campaign. The developers added an open world feel to the game. Personally, I feel this takes away from the story and the overall excitement, as this is the case (personally) with other games such as Arkham City. All side mission, hunting, exploration (tombs) are necessary for you to level up, find upgrades and make the overall game easier. When you focus on these in between the story missions it almost feels tedious. The flow of the narrative is interrupted and you feel a certain disconnect from the story. Expand
  74. Jun 22, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a fantastic experience. This game nails the balance between puzzles and action-packed sequences, creating all the time a new and fresh experience. The game is beautiful and the new-Lara as a character is extremely likable. I've been a fan of the series since TRII and this game got me absolutely hooked. The environments are stunning, the action sequences are really fun andTomb Raider is a fantastic experience. This game nails the balance between puzzles and action-packed sequences, creating all the time a new and fresh experience. The game is beautiful and the new-Lara as a character is extremely likable. I've been a fan of the series since TRII and this game got me absolutely hooked. The environments are stunning, the action sequences are really fun and the amount of collectables make a collector like myself truly hyped. You'll find everything in this game: awesome tombs to explore, a lot of stuff to collect, enemies to shoot and nice weapons to upgrade. Lara grows from an innocent teenager to the bad-ass we all know and it's a delight to be a part of that experience. Can't wait for the next game in the series. Expand
  75. Jun 21, 2013
    A great game, a creepy and interesting story, some of the most enjoyable 3rd person gameplay I've ever played. The thing that I really like about it though is the hellish and painful journey that Lara put through here. Seriously though some crappy stuff happens on this island which she is marooned on and a lot of the game is incredibly brutal so if thats not your thing then I would go forA great game, a creepy and interesting story, some of the most enjoyable 3rd person gameplay I've ever played. The thing that I really like about it though is the hellish and painful journey that Lara put through here. Seriously though some crappy stuff happens on this island which she is marooned on and a lot of the game is incredibly brutal so if thats not your thing then I would go for a game like Uncharted instead. Expand
  76. Jun 20, 2013
    Tomb Raider reboot is pretty fantastic. The gameplay strongly resembles Uncharted, but has much more of an open world type of experience. You can fast travel similar to that in AC. The gameplay is easily the most attractive thing about this game. The story may not be as good as Uncharted and at often times dull but it's essentially pretty interesting.
  77. Jun 19, 2013
    This is a gritty, intense and very well made game which demonstrates that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have to admit to being skeptical about the merits of this title given that it is a prequel of sorts. Why I write 'of sorts' is because the "young" Lara Croft of this game bares little resemblance to the buxom, globe trotting heroin of previous games. First, the controls:This is a gritty, intense and very well made game which demonstrates that yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks. I have to admit to being skeptical about the merits of this title given that it is a prequel of sorts. Why I write 'of sorts' is because the "young" Lara Croft of this game bares little resemblance to the buxom, globe trotting heroin of previous games. First, the controls: very tight. Tomb Raider shares a lot of DNA with Uncharted which is ironic given that Uncharted was originally called "dude raider" but as that game was not a clone of Tomb Raider neither is this game a clone of Uncharted (still with me?). The way Lara handles parkour and some of the set pieces share a striking resemblance to Uncharted. This being said this game stands on its own and provides some of the best if not the best use of body language in any video game that I've seen. Early on Lara survives a sudden crash and washes ashore injured, cold and disoriented. As she makes her way to lighting a life-saving fire you as the player would be cold hearted not to feel for her. Everything Lara experiences is portrayed realistically and while there are some points where some of her adversity no longer seems evident the character never becomes ridiculously outsized (the way she was in other titles). She's obviously young and physically and mentally vulnerable- much of this game unfolds in seeing her gradually evolve into becoming more fearless and its a journey well worth taking. The graphics are excellent- everything you see is well detailed and realistic and this is especially true with Lara. Crystal Dynamics really took a chance here by creating this prequel; even though Tomb Raider had previously been easily bested by Uncharted a poorly made prequel could mean the end of one of the most enduring characters in gaming. Instead they hit the ball out of the park- this game clearly has a seat at the table and an argument to make with Uncharted in terms of which game is the best. Accomplishing such in terms of storytelling and immersion is a feat in and of itself- Lara is vulnerable but she isn't pandering to the player. You will unless you're completely jaded go through this journey and find yourself pulling for her from the opening moments; it's that well done. Other excellent features include the skills progression- there is a certain amount of customization with the various skills but ultimately future titles should expand these further. The weapons also are capable of progression and customization- the game encourages you to experience it fully by rewarding you with deadly and efficient skills and weapon parts.

Tomb Raider needed an injection of fresh air; Crystal Dynamics had previously done a good job of resurrecting the series but the original version of Lara Croft had gone as far as she could go. This game is a prequel of sorts but I have a feeling the entire franchise has been rebooted; future games will have little to do with the previous 15+ years and that is a good thing. Consider this game not a prequel but a reboot and its a homerun. Where the series goes from this point is going to be fresh and exciting and as someone who really didn't care for the previous incarnation of Lara Croft I look forward to seeing where this new and improved Tomb Raider series goes from here.
  78. Jun 19, 2013
    This was a really good game. It finally made me like Lara Croft and Tomb Raider games. It had good game-play, a good story, pretty graphics, and a cool island to explore. The only thing i was disappointed with was the fact I wanted it to last longer. I wanted more tombs to raid, more weapons to find and collect, to upgrade, more of everything. Instead of the crappy mulitplayer they gave us.
  79. Jun 18, 2013
    I can not say enough about this game. While it is simplistic, it is simply AMAZING, and feels like a fully interactive hollywood movie, complete with WILD special effects, intrigue and drama, and some views/landscapes that make you wish you were there. Until a native clunks you in the head with an axe!

This game really earned the "Tomb Raider" moniker, and lives up the the great

This game really earned the "Tomb Raider" moniker, and lives up the the great expectations that come with being part of a classic succesful, some would say historical series.

It sort of felt like if Heavy Rain was more of an action game...Really really fun game, altho very simply and easy to play, this is the type of game that anyone can play, and have a great great time with.

Basically everything from the gameplay, to the graphics, to the actors and audio was 10/10, but this game only gets 9/10 because it felt rather short to me! However there is a lot to collect after the story is over so I decided to give this 9/10 still which means BUY IT PLAY IT :D
  80. Jun 18, 2013
    WARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because afterWARNING: Playing this game will ruin the gameplay of many other games for you. TR has it's issues, but in terms of gameplay, combat and movement, it is a resounding success, very satisfying, fluid and intuitive. I tried playing other 3rd person PS3 games like Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us, and in comparison Nathan Drake handles like a shopping cart. I'm kind of sad now because after playing TR, I just can't enjoy those other games like I used to.

Not a traditional TR game, but as an action game, it's great!
  81. Jun 16, 2013
    Story-wise, this is by far the best Tomb Raider game to come out since the first 3 games. However, on a technological level, this is the best game in the series.
    Crystal Dynamics "Core Team" really outdid themselves with this one. Highly recommended title.
    Great story. Great level up system to upgrade equipment. Tight controls. Lots of secrets to find with exploration. My primary

My primary genre is JRPGs, but this is by far the best action game released in many years. It gives one a true sense of outdoor survival.

Did I say tight controls? Well, they're very tight.
  82. Jun 14, 2013
    This game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, andThis game is pretty good, I mean it is simply the best Tomb Raider game ever made. I didn't really like the other Tomb Raider games, I rented this one and ended up buying it. The game simply wowed me, I was not expecting to like this game at all. Graphics are good, controls are good and atmosphere is good. The game is not perfect but its better than uncharted games that is for sure, and that is hard for me to say because uncharted was pretty good. Buy it if you like these kind of games. Rent it if you are not sure. Expand
  83. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuffI really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuff on the map. Thankfully the more you played the game the better the action became and also the story. This is a very clean game with no glitches and bugs and I would like to thank the software developers for releasing a game with no errors of any sorts. I did have a few cosmetic glitches but they were really minor. The upgrade paths to the weapons were fun but really they paced the game as to how to play the game. I both liked this and didnt. On one hand it made the game quite easy but on the other dampened the consequences of what you picked. All in all though the game was fantastic in terms of action so I can't really complain there too. My only complaint about the game really was I don't like to play games who rely on a dark setting to make the game difficult. I do understand this is an exploration game but the game relied on so many other games, all of which I enjoyed but I found the night time/creepy dark atmosphere in some scenes to just be annoying and give me a headache playing in the dark. I could have adjusted visual settings but it still ruins the set atmosphere. Overall I would recommend this game to everyone, it was finishable very easily but also very fun, non stop action pretty much all the way through. This game is well worth your time, it may be quite cut and paste/copycat but overall the entertainment value is definately worth the pricetag. Expand
  84. Jun 9, 2013
    I was a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider, especially on the PS1. It brings back memories of me and my sister playing through them, fighting a dinosaur, doing speed runs on the gymnastics course or locking the butler in the freezer. But when Lara Croft took a dive into the PS2, I kind of got bored. Then with the early PS3 games I got put off, I didn't want to play them, in an attitude of 'been thereI was a HUGE fan of Tomb Raider, especially on the PS1. It brings back memories of me and my sister playing through them, fighting a dinosaur, doing speed runs on the gymnastics course or locking the butler in the freezer. But when Lara Croft took a dive into the PS2, I kind of got bored. Then with the early PS3 games I got put off, I didn't want to play them, in an attitude of 'been there and done that'. But I heard they was rebooting the franchise, my honest first thought was why? Why reboot a franchise which is failing to be a hit with fans? But I brought it only to be convinced that this is a HUGE step forward for Tomb Raider and Tomb Raiding fans like myself. They managed to bring the game to a new high with it's smooth controls, an interesting story and a new kick ass Lara Croft, which will make you want to play the game through.

I'm yet to explore the full extent of the game, but I didn't feel as though it was free roaming or had great roaming possibilities. It felt as though you could go off and explore yes, but I felt I was more pushed to go through the story. It didn't have enough TO explore. I mean there are great tombs which you can go into and solve the great puzzles in them and get a nice reward at the end. But it feels as though it's more A to B to get to them and there's not enough of them. But I understand they focused more on the story and honestly don't be put off by that, the story is great and you'll hear this all the time, but you do go through Lara's experience with her. At the start she blames herself for the misfortune that's happened to the group, only to be forced to get tougher and then become the leader, helping the group. The smooth controls and a nice cover system which is similar to that of Naughty Dogs Uncharted, but it compliments with this game really well. You find yourself using stealth, killing off enemies one by one to make it easier for the full dogfight, which will have you on your toes. You won't be able to stay in one place and keep shooting, or waiting to recover. No, the AI move in towards you, forcing you to go in for hand to hand combat or running to another spot for cover.

The graphics are amazing, a lot of detail was put into this game and I hope so for the next. Whether you're going through the jungle or inside the caves, this game is great to look at. Lara herself is gorgeous, they really done a good job in satisfying the new fans and old fans of the franchise. And you start to get close to the characters a little, not much though, but enough to keep interest with the story. And it'll be nice to see if they stick with them characters to develop them more in the next game.

The weapons are good enough and I actually ended up using the bow more, which is ridiculously overpowered. But you need it, believe me. You can upgrade weapons (I recommend upgrading the bow) and unlike most games it does help. You can have flaming arrows, having your shotgun do more range, having a silenced pistol and a lot more.

Even so it was still tough, brutal at times, I played through on hard and it certainly was. Which was great, don't expect to be a pro at this game as you'll find yourself dying, a lot. The controls are great, the AI was better than most other games I've played recently and it was really fun to play. I love the little artifacts you can find with their own little story, but I didn't really find myself making an effort to find them, it was more if I found them along the way. The leveling up is a great new addition, there are 3 different types, the first is the survivor skill, making Lara better at salvaging, giving you extra bonuses picking items up, orienteering which will make Lara see more hidden rewards or having better climbing ability. There's the hunter skill, so Lara is better with weapons giving you that extra firepower, which is really needed in the game. And you have a brawler skill, so Lara is better at dodging, hand to hand combats, taking hits and you can even throw dirt in the enemies face, giving you time to strike or run for cover. But towards the end you end up getting most of them, so it's not if you want to be good at one or the other, it's more which one do you want first. So it's not really unique or strategical. But it didn't really matter, it takes nothing away from the game. In fact I understand it, as Lara becomes this overall badass package.

Negatives. Needs more tombs to explore. No replay value, I wanted to keep playing it but when I finished it, that was it. I didn't have any need to play it again, or even to just go on it and roam. I think the idea is there though, they are going in the right direction and it'll be tough to see what they do next, more exploration is needed though! The final boss battles, both of them were terrible, lazy and boring. I hate QTE's. Luckily it didn't ruin the experience enough to deduct any points.

It's a really good game. I would defiantly recommend it. Great reboot, bring on Tomb Raider 2!
  85. May 30, 2013
    Great from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one ofGreat from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one of those near perfect games. Expand
  86. May 30, 2013
    Entertaining and beautiful. Amazing action pieces and flow. The combat is great mix of stealth and action. Gameplay is similar to uncharted but even better(This is a big plus)! This is one of the best tomb raiders ever! Great way to begin Lara's journey.
  87. May 29, 2013
    !0 is perfection, and this is as close as it gets. This is the brutal story of Lara Croft, and holy moses it is DIRTY. It's a beautiful action game that really gives you action. The world feels really open, yet it is linnear, but as I said, it feels huge. The best game I've played in at least 2 years.
  88. May 28, 2013
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    TOMB RAIDER sets the basics for a very nice reboot of the franchise.
    It probably would not appeal very much to all the die-hard fans of the original games, specially when this current gameplay is compared to the one of the original Tomb Raider I, II and III (the third one being my favorite): Traps almost non existing, way less wolves and any other wild animal to fight, and quite simple puzzles. So, if you were a massive fan of this aspects of the old Tomb Raider, probably this is not the game for you. BUT the stunning complexity of the environment, the great gun fights that this game has really make it up for it! A really compelling story, a new "real" 20-year-old Lara, a good Voice acting make this new start as a great starting point for what could be a real threat to the Uncharted franchise.
  89. May 21, 2013
    One of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow andOne of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow and arrows was great fun). As an Uncharted fan, I was impressed with the gorgeous majestic cinematic sequences, they were exciting and one scene near the end to me topped Uncharted, and I'm an Uncharted fan to boot. The single drawback to me was the multiplayer, it's just not as fun. I would have preferred if they had a longer single solo playthrough instead of the weak multiplayer. Highly recommended, and keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel! More of the excellent new Lara Croft, please. Expand
  90. May 21, 2013
    This is a awesome reboot of Tomb Raider! Now we have a more human Lara, more realistic story context and a great "hero journey"! I'm a Uncharted and Lost die-hard fan, I love mythology, mysteries, puzzles and rpg, so this Tomb Raider is one of the best games I ever played in my life. I hope they make many many sequels!
  91. May 20, 2013
    As someone who really wasn't that interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, I was really impressed by this game. Its hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about so I'll quickly list off what I liked: 1. The Lara Croft character is great and I viewed her as a female John Mclain from Die Hard. 2. The graphics are fantastic and the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay areAs someone who really wasn't that interested in the Tomb Raider franchise, I was really impressed by this game. Its hard to say anything that hasn't already been said about so I'll quickly list off what I liked: 1. The Lara Croft character is great and I viewed her as a female John Mclain from Die Hard. 2. The graphics are fantastic and the transitions from cut scenes to gameplay are near seamless. 3. The actual Tomb Raiding was really fun and it was nice to seem them put them in, although I wish there was a lot more of them. 4. The intensity of the violence compliments the game unlike it did for Bioshock infinite. 5. The progression system was fun and some upgrades really did help out and came when they needed to. There are morei things I could say but those were the ones I liked to lay out. I did not play the multiplayer but based on the word of mouth it doesn't seem worth commenting on. I still fully give this game my highest recommendation even if the multiplayer content is lackluster as the single-player campaign more than justifies a 60$ price tag Expand
  92. May 19, 2013
    a complete refresh to the Tomb Raider franchise which was needed in my opinion more user friendly and a spectacular reboot great story gameplay soundtrack and design....... could have done without the multiplayer with a focus on maybe a few more tombs but none the less looking forward to more adventures in the future!!!!
  93. May 18, 2013
    I wonder why people always want frustrating, unfriendly video games. I think the compromise the developers devised is perfect. There is no reason for a developer to throw you in a situation you cannot possibly figure out given the limitations of video games. It is either you think what they were thinking or you keep trying until you, by virtue of pure chance, come across the answer. ThisI wonder why people always want frustrating, unfriendly video games. I think the compromise the developers devised is perfect. There is no reason for a developer to throw you in a situation you cannot possibly figure out given the limitations of video games. It is either you think what they were thinking or you keep trying until you, by virtue of pure chance, come across the answer. This game gives you just enough tips to keep it entertaining without diluting the experience. So long, tips & tricks. We don't need you. It is so interesting to see the evolution of Lara. Great game! Expand
  94. May 15, 2013
    This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty,This game takes the delicate, young Croft through a state of psychological brilliance and intrigue, paired against despair and unfounded hate. In executing a game almost a decade after the popular series was making its mark in the market, the developers not only put life in the busty adventurer, but made her relate-able (as much as possible when comparing your every-day gamer to a gritty, in your face revenge killer who searches for long lost treasures).

The game, most especially in the opening, is not completely littered with cut-scenes. However, they are common. Most notably, they are common without being destructive to any degree. They flawlessly wedge their way into the gameplay, incorporating even the semi-common slow motion action and button mash scenes that, yes, make no sense. However, the designer is keeping you enthralled.

By making the introduction interesting and keeping out repetitive wash and action, they don't overwhelm you with terrible cut scenes like most games, only to then destroy your senses through implementation of overplayed and overly familiar battle scenes. They acknowledge the fact that most battles in a single game will be dramatically representative of each other, but do so without making them drab or useless.

The story alone is worth 10 points. The beautiful graphics (playing on eyefinity, 3-monitors. its ok to be jelous), matched to the not entirely linear story only reinforces that rating. Puzzles make sense without being blatantly obvious. And a modern feel of experience for weapon upgrades and skill, resembling Croft's jump into the busty destruction we are all familiar with from her soft past, make for a modern game with a historic feel, all without giving you the handicap all games seem to be giving you.

Also, the lacking downloadable content remind me that this company is the last one to remind us that the cost of the game is about the story, playability, replayability, and enjoyment...Not about making extra bucks and changing their name to Blizzard Entertainment, all while holding ourselves in public because, hey, we are Blizzard and we don't care about you. Now pay us for this reskinning.

Lets just hope companies will follow in these footsteps and do the right thing. Make art that is enjoyable, accurate, and destructively fun.

As said, the execution is almost incredibly flawless. However, the one thing I can't get over is the fact that they gave her a "mountain axe" (its called an ice tool); enabling her to throw 1/8cm steel straight into rock and pull it out again without bringing any damage to the tool. This is just depressing since i have been ice climbing most my life and know exactly the limitations.

No, this shouldn't bother me. But I could expect this in an Indie game and not a game where, despite the legend they try to bring to life in Yamatai, the developers did their homework. All they needed to do was call Petzl (the company they obviously got the design from) and ask, "how do you use this?"
  95. May 12, 2013
    Did naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challengeDid naughty dog make this game? lol cause it's exactly like uncharted with added weapon upgrade, and other other upgrades. Saying that uncharted 2 is one of my favorite games of all times so I don't mind. What can I say this game has a little bit of everything, awesome cut scenes, good gameplay, good story, mini puzzles, etc. It was fun, and finding the collectibles were also a challenge to find. Don't let the awful slow beginning fool you, this game keeps you on the edge of your seat from the semi start to finish. Like some reviews said it best, it's uncharted with boobs. Expand
  96. May 12, 2013
    This tomb raider reboot is beautiful, and has a very interesting story that will grab you're attention from the very beginning, and won't let you go until the end. The story is great and you really start feeling for the character's by the end of the game. But they are really just there to be rescued, and give the player an excuse to continue onward. This game might have the most realisticThis tomb raider reboot is beautiful, and has a very interesting story that will grab you're attention from the very beginning, and won't let you go until the end. The story is great and you really start feeling for the character's by the end of the game. But they are really just there to be rescued, and give the player an excuse to continue onward. This game might have the most realistic character in gaming, ever. Not by the graphic even thought she also looks the most realistic ever) but by her interaction with the environment, and how genuine it feels.
    The multiplayer on the other hand is very stale, and basic. I managed to player 3 or 4 rounds before i got so bored i just stopped, and i asume the servers will be nearly empty every time you try to play online, since no one will want to continue playing this stale, and boring multiplayer.
  97. May 12, 2013
    The men and women at Crystal Dynamics and Square Enix became aware that Tomb Raider in its past form had arguable become stale and boring. They felt that a retelling of the treasure hunter’s story was needed, if the franchise were to survive. They seem to have done just that.
    When we first take control of Lara, of course we realise the trouble she is in, but because she is so well realised and voice acted, we genuinely care for her wellbeing. We believe the pain she is in, and when the “over the top” death scenes are encountered; they are downright shocking and disturbing. You want to take care of this young woman throughout her journey of discovery and horror.
    The support characters unfortunately remain stereotypical and in some cases, unlikeable. You have your large, muscly Samoan whom is deeply in touch with his roots and is seen as a gentle giant, a hostile and rude mechanic whom you begin to have a severe distaste to, and the “nerdy” guy whom wishes he was more than he currently is. There are a few characters who you take a liking to; for instance Roth, who acts as the father figure for our heroine, but many are largely forgettable.
    The game is in itself, gorgeous. The engine clearly pushes the boundaries of the current consoles, and the developers have worked overtime to create a world that looks and feels real. From the rustling of the trees to the weather system which when present, adds to the tension felt, it all allows for a place where you just want to stop and admire. However, some of the game’s best moments when Lara is in extreme peril, attempting to escape from a burning building or trying to outrun a series of explosions caused by the ever more hostile enemies encountered during the game.
    Tomb Raider allows a mildly open world option. Lara travels from location to location in a linear fashion, but along the way she unlocks camp fires, which can be used to upgrade her abilities and weapons. As the game progresses, these abilities become more prominent, so the combat never becomes dull. When Lara does travel to a new location and unlock new camp fires, she is able to fast travel to old areas, to attempt to collect relics left behind by past civilisations, documents, offering insight and a history to the strange island she has found herself on, or discovering and exploring tombs.
    The tombs offer a nice change of pace from the wall to wall combat featured. These involve traversing through underground caverns and solving relatively simple puzzles in order to gain the salvage necessary to upgrade Lara’s weapons. They are on the whole enjoyable and remind the player that the main protagonist is a treasure hunter at heart, rather than a warrior.
    Even though the combat could be seen as being a generic third person shooter, the weapons in the game are satisfying to use and never tend to become boring. Because they can be upgraded, the sound and weight of them changes. The pistol becomes more and more powerful as the game progresses and numerous changes to each weapon, concerning its reload speed, damage and accuracy can be bought. However it has to be said that the stand out weapon is the long bow, which always makes you feel like a bad ass; when you are able to pull off a headshot at long range without anyone noticing, or stopping a charging enemy dead in his tracks.
    Tomb Raider is a great testament to how a franchise can rebound, when it had for all tense of purposes, stalled. Crystal Dynamics have created a vast, believable and beautiful world which is a true joy to explore. They have allowed for the blossoming of a likeable and believable main protagonist whom you offer genuine sympathy. It isn’t a game without its flaws. The collectibles aren’t that enjoyable and don’t offer much incentive, although they do offer an interesting insight to the history of the island, the supporting characters are unlikable and while is cannot be ignored that the multiplayer mode isn’t all what people wanted and could be seen as a disappointment, it is a small downside to an otherwise captivating experience that should not be missed.
  98. May 5, 2013
    Well I may be a little late to the party but I figured there may be still a few gamers out there who have not picked up this game and I wish to tell you that you should do just that. With Crystal Dynamics rebooting the franchise, it was only natural that anew story would follow. Wold it be a sequel or a re-telling? To everyone's surprise it was actually a prequel set years before Lara wasWell I may be a little late to the party but I figured there may be still a few gamers out there who have not picked up this game and I wish to tell you that you should do just that. With Crystal Dynamics rebooting the franchise, it was only natural that anew story would follow. Wold it be a sequel or a re-telling? To everyone's surprise it was actually a prequel set years before Lara was running around with her dual pistols and raiding tombs.

The story seems to be rather generic at first glance. Lara is setting out to "make her mark" as she tries to find the lost island of Yamatai which has seemingly disappeared off the face of the Earth fro thousands of years. Lara has a hunch that the island is located inside the Dragon's Triangle, which is a treacherous part of ocean that has claimed many lives. Lara then convinces the expedition crew Dr. Whittman. who is the star archeologist who is trying to get his career back on track. Sam, Lara's best friend and camera enthusiast. Sam believes she is related to the first Sun Queen of Yamatai, Himiko who ruled Yamatai long ago. Jonah, the muscle of the group who is caring yet tough individual who looks out for everyone. Reyes, an African American woman tagging along with Roth, Lara's Father's friend who Lara sees as a father figure in her life. That leaves Alex, who is another traveler and Grim, the boat's captain. Lara ultimately convinces them and when they are deep inside the Dragon's Triangle, a sudden storm hits the ship, tearing it in half causing Lara to fall into the ocean and wake up on a mysterious island. With her crew and friends scattered around the island and her best friend is than captured by the islands natives Lara must find a way to get off the island while saving her friends in the process.

When first washing up on the island you are greeted with Lara hanging upside down in a cave. As you cut yourself down you are immediately shown a gruesome image of Lara's side being impaled onto what looks to be a sharp pole or stick on the ground. This is one of Tomb Raider's greatest strengths in my opinion. the way Lara shows so much emotion when she is hurt or dies, really makes me feel bad and sorry for what I did to her. I would try my best not have her get hurt or die, just so I wouldn't have to watch her suffer. this is one of the those games that makes you feel for the character you are playing as and not just some digital person on screen. With all of that aside, the environments in this game are spectacular to look at and varied. From staggering cliffs, snow covered mountains and lush forests teeming with life, this game really makes you feel as if the island is real somewhere out there in the world somewhere. Killing different animals to survive and climbing up cliffs and walking through rivers and streams just makes the island feel that much more alive. Throughout the island there are tombs and collectables to obtain as you progress through the story, from ancient artifacts, GPS caches and journals left by current and previous survivors, make back tracking essential. Sometimes certain equipment is needed to reach a certain area but will not be made available to you until you progress further along in the story.

The time around Lara has many tools, weapons and equipment at her disposal in order to get around. A handgun, shotgun and bow and rifle are some of the weapons Lara can use to smite her enemies. To which all can be upgraded by the use of salvage which is found all over the island in crates, chests and dead bodies that Lara loots. The bow is extremely useful in combat as it is outside of combat. Being able to shoot ropes later in the game to pull down structures, create rope bridges and pull enemies off cliffs is great fun and makes the bow are very versatile weapon.

The upgrade/leveling systems is very easy to understand and very straight forward. With kills, looting and other actions, Lara will gain XP which then will accumulate to a level up which will give Lara is skill point to use and camp sites and camp fires to acquire new skills, such as counter kills or being able to find extra salvage on enemies when looting. Upgrading weapons through salvage is as simple as having the right amount of salvage to purchase the upgrade.

Now for the negative aspects. I found myself dying alot due to clunky climbing as automatic death areas where Lara would die if a certain part of the water was fallen into. During the game quick time events are placed in which does have a timing to get used to which will result in a few cheap deaths here or there, but thanks to a great checkpoint system this isn't a huge issue. The cover system sometimes doesn't work and Lara stands out in the open taking bullets until she finally collapses and dies. On PS3 at least, frame rates would seem to drop in certain portions of the game but would fix in others.

This is fantastic reboot and I look forward to what CD will do next with this series so give it a try.
  99. May 5, 2013
    yes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussyyes lara croft is back finaly and she is very hot you begon the game awesom and you end it the game has 3 things climming shooting and puzzeling and its all in there like i wound it so why dont i give it a 10 becouse its just another game that is so short you can do so many things but the story is like 14 hours poeple say that is pretty long no but you can explor so much you can be bussy like 25 hours so okay thats good further its not like uncharted like every buddy says just a litle but uncharted is to like tomb raider ride than you got the mp that fun for some hours its not that good its fun for like 4-5 hours than its don fore the mp but its all obout the single player in this game right Expand
  100. May 5, 2013
    This might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be funThis might be my favorite game of this generation. Huge Uncharted fan but this bests it. Better combat and better platforming on top of a fun upgrade system. Not an open world game but much more open than the very linear Uncharted. Fun exploring looking for collectables. Great length of game that will keep you busy for a while. Multiplayer is kinda of slow and chunky but can be fun for a short burst but it isn't the draw of the game. Must buy!! Expand
  101. Apr 6, 2013
    The reviewers are right on about this great game: Crystal Dynamics did a helluva job making a fantastic story merge with addictive gameplay. What a treat in this "dry" year for games so far—I just finished Bioshock Infinite and moved on to the equally awesome but very different Tomb Raider. It IS kinda like Drake's Uncharted with Lara Croft, but the story is even better than any in theThe reviewers are right on about this great game: Crystal Dynamics did a helluva job making a fantastic story merge with addictive gameplay. What a treat in this "dry" year for games so far—I just finished Bioshock Infinite and moved on to the equally awesome but very different Tomb Raider. It IS kinda like Drake's Uncharted with Lara Croft, but the story is even better than any in the Drake's series. Much more character development here and the bow and arrow mechanics are super cool. And saying this game is like Uncharted is a huge compliment....I'll take a well-made game like this any day of the week. You can even inject some stealth into the game with silent takedowns and bow-and-arrow headshots. Hope they make a sequel! Collapse

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]