8.3

1. Feb 25, 2015
    A brilliant game that was very well made with amazing details a true work of art .There is never a dull moment and the new more human Lara is a nice change of pace. Compared to other tomb raider games this one is far better in nearly every way.
  2. Jan 16, 2015
    This game drove me crazy, all it has is extremely well done, characters, effect, fights, weapons,music, sounds, everything is wonderfull, I love lara since now, hahha 10/10
  3. Jan 7, 2015
    This is one of the best tomb raider game. I'm a fan of Tomb Raider games. Played every tomb raider except Tomb Raider Underworld. Puzzles are rather simpler in this game. But background atmosphere and visuals are awesome. deserves 9/10.
  4. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.
  5. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  6. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  7. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  8. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  9. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  10. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.
  11. Jan 25, 2014
    This game just changed the Tomb Raider franchise forever. To be honest, I never really enjoyed the old games, they were a little cheap when it came to story and controls. But this game is just incredible, and has completely reinvigorated series.

Graphics: 10/10 beautifully designed, this game just looks amazing, and balances grit, horror and beauty perfectly Story 10/10 The game's

Graphics: 10/10

Story 10/10
    The game's real strong point, the story is very moving and powerful, and it really does develop interesting characters. Rebooting Lara's character was a brilliant move, and the single setting made for a much better game that previous installments

Game play: 10/10
    The game play fuses platforming, exploration and third person shooter perfectly to give an enthralling and exciting game experience

Choosing to give Lara more... realistic... features was probably the best decision made in the development, and giving her genuine character, flare and strength was just brilliant. She goes from being an inexperienced but determined beginner to being a born survivor, and while the pace of her transformation isn't exactly realistic, the game does give a lot in the way of character development.

This game just changed the way people look at Lara Croft. From now on, I think we can expect gem after gem. Truly inspirational, and by far the best in the series.
  12. Jan 23, 2014
    Even though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the gameEven though there are several gameplay issues, the one that grabs my attention more than any other would have to be the fact that Laura can't climb (jump) every available surface, She can use her tool to climb the walls and rocks but nothing for climbing over 5 foot fences or 4 foot desks. But other than a cliched beginning, it proved to get way better as you play the game. Once the game starts up, then it gets just unbelievable. There are several scenes that could be considered cliche, but the way that the developers designed certain levels and the graphics, along with the outstanding voice work, it becomes a great game. Just absolutely marvelous. At times, the game feels like an obvious GOTY nominee but it also has its faults. It's a really great game but it's just muffled by some weak areas. The story, I though could not have been better. It's just enthralling and picks up the pace beautifully. Also the graphics were some of the best that I've ever seen at the time, Now acknowledging that there are next gen systems that will play this game, I can say that it will probably be beautiful on PS4 and Xbox One. The game is great on PS3. but can't wait for the PS4 edition!! It's a near perfect game. Expand
  13. Jan 19, 2014
    I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment,I'm surprised in that the general rating given to TR somewhat underestimates it. I started playing this game with a mildly lowered expectation and I loved it. It's comparable to if not better than Uncharted (though short gameplay is the latter's main disadvantage). The story does not falter as it builds up, gameplay is great, the puzzles blend in nicely with its exploratory environment, and it evokes the archaeologist-on-mystery-adventure theme perfectly. I was surprised (due to the ratings) and pleased. I'm saddened only by the fact that I didn't have the opportunity to play and experience the previous Tomb Raider games (it was the movies that introduced me to the franchise), and with the release of PS4 it is unlikely that I'll experience further releases of the game. Expand
  14. Jan 18, 2014
    Truly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've everTruly a fantastic game. Maybe the best combat and gameplay this year. I enjoyed everything about this game and have absolutely no complaints. Although the story wasn't as strong as other titles this year, and the multiplayer is lacking, the gameplay, graphics, voice acting and Lara make up for it, and make this a top 5 game of 2013, and one of the most fun action adventure games I've ever played. One of the only games I actually wanted to go back and explore to collect everything and earn 100%. I wish it was longer, but with all the relics, GPS, and other items to collect, I got plenty of hours out of it. Expand
  15. Jan 9, 2014
    Ok, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good forOk, I am impressed.Just when I thought that I couldn't find a better game than U2 & U3 in ps3 console I played this game and I was thinking "is really Uncharted my favourite game?" I prefer U2 & U3 and probably the reason is that these two were the first epic games I played in this console.Lara Croft in this game was an excellent character.The environment was very good for explorations(open-world) and surely both realistic & beautiful.The gameplay was also very exciting (especially while in stealth mode with the bow or hand to hand combat).The story was also very interesting(keep in mind that the letters you will find in the game are important to understand the whole history of the game and the character's history and personality too).The atmosphere was also very good.I can't remember if the music was also good(actually I don't remember anything from the music of tomb raider).Tomb raider is one of the best games released in ps3 console up until today and it's in the top 4 favourite games I've ever played. Expand
  16. Dec 17, 2013
    Great game, best Tomb Raider so far enjoyed playing this as much as The uncharted games which I've played all 3 and loved them all.Kept playing till I'd got all collectibles and reached 100%, which proves how good it is.
  17. Nov 21, 2013
    Awesome graphics, a really convincing young Lara Croft and amazing gameplay result in a game you really shouldn't miss. It has a nice story, can be really challenging and comes up with riddles of which some can take their time to get solved. For me, the game was easily fun enough to try getting every relict and so on to complete it 100%.
  18. Nov 20, 2013
    Es el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿LoEs el mejor Tomb Raider sin ninguna duda, la jugabilidad es exquisita, los gráficos son excelentes, el doblaje al castellano esta perfecto, la duración del juego puede ser de 28/25 horas. Lo que mas me gusto del juego es la exploración de los escenarios, las variedades de escenarios, la historia, que te engancha de principio a fin, en fin, un juego muy bueno a tener en cuenta. ¿Lo recomiendo? Si, totalmente, opta al juego del año sin ninguna duda. Expand
  19. Nov 14, 2013
    Graphics: Great looking environments, character models are very detailed, animals look realistic, this game looks amazing. 10.

Sound: Great voice acting, nice themes, environmental sounds are realistic (storm effect). 10. Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is

Gameplay: The game play has been redefined and it really is better than any of the previous Tomb Raider games. Think of Uncharted but open world, and this is truly what makes this game shine. The weapons are great; the addition of the bow is fantastic, and fun to take out enemies with. There are collectibles everywhere which are addicting to go for. The tombs are really fun although it could use more of a challenge. The game has a Metroid Prime/Arkham (Batman) feel where in order to access some areas you need to get new equipment or upgrade it. You can hunt in the game which is useful for upgrades for weapons, along with salvaging. There are some stealth elements but they are not perfect, but it works. The multiplayer felt bland and uninteresting, and somewhat a low down version of the Uncharted games, but it’s still added value, and can be fun. 9.2.

Story: This is the weakest part of the game, it’s got a story that progresses well, but nearing the end it just falls apart or seems to be a basic story with no amazing twists, although there is some mystery at the middle. The characters are decent, some are annoying, some are forgettable, but overall it was a good story, and I enjoyed it. 8.5.

Replay Value: There’s tons of replay value, collectibles plus the game itself is ranging from 15-20 hours, and there’s an added multiplayer. 10.

Overall Score: 9.5 out of 10.
  20. Oct 28, 2013
    The attention to detail put into this game is stunning. The controls are spot-on solid, and I loved watching how Lara reacted to various traversals and environments so exploring was always welcome and wanted. The pacing is excellent and characters believable. One of the most fun games to play and easily recommendable to almost anyone.
  21. Oct 21, 2013
    A piece of art. It's a game of adventure and action, and it has some puzzles to test your intelligence.
    there are many obstacles that Lara faces witch makes it more interesting. I enjoyed the game a lot!
  22. Sep 29, 2013
    When i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell youWhen i first picked this game up over the summer my buddy who works at Gamestop told me this Man this game is amazing! It puts Uncharted to shame and its between this and Last of Us for Game of the Year! Now when my initial reaction when i heard that was yeah whatever haha it looks good but there is no way it'll put Uncharted to shame! Well now that i have beaten the game i can tell you that i was DEAD WRONG!! Tomb Raider is an absolutely amazing game that as much as it pains me to say it definitely puts Uncharted to shame! Everything in this game from the story to the graphics, the locations and the characters is all breathtaking. If you haven't played this title yet do yourself a favor and go pick it up! Without a doubt one of my contenders for game of the year Expand
  23. Sep 15, 2013
    This game combines a great story with a variety of gameplay styles, it draws from genres like adventure-type platforming and a variety of shooting-style game staples.

The level/upgrade system allows players to actually earn skills rather than just a variety of outfits for Lara. As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more

As a reboot it does a great job establishing young Lara and her companions as interesting, and more realistic (both physically and emotionally) characters.

The main fault I would note is that puzzle components could have been more difficult. Even without the flashing white hints, it doesn't take long to work through the actual tombs.
  24. Sep 15, 2013
    I really enjoyed it, it's a lengthy story, quite adventurous. I liked the characters, and story line was quite interesting, not your average meaningless shooter without any concept, this is definitely different in these terms. The graphics are awesome, and the landscapes are really beautiful. Just a really great game, enjoyable with good ending.
  25. Sep 12, 2013
    Tomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are noTomb raider is a game which is combination of an adventure and a survival game.The game is awesome with a large world to explore.Its climbing and its moves are perfect.Unfortunately i found some disadvantages for the game.For example the type of shooting in the game is not so good but there is the bow which is a weapon i loved.I didnt like also the multiplayer.It is boring and there are no objective matches.Nonetheless i suggest you to get the game.You wont be bored.It has a great story and characters. Expand
  26. Aug 30, 2013
    Its an Awesome game to play it will lead you in to the amazing world full of surprises through out the game you will never going to know what's going to happen next love the graphics and the whole environment and of course the beautifully created cut scenes.I love this game thank you Eidos Interactive and Core Design,Crystal Dynamics for making such a beautiful game love You guys
  27. Aug 27, 2013
    as a woman i am appalled that they keep using hot chicks in video games. just kidding! yep she's still hot, the gameplay is still outstanding. the graphics for this title are gorgeous and the plot is actually the best in the entire series. very emotional, not just a suspense-drivel plot. (there is also suspense of course.)
  28. Aug 21, 2013
    Being a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line wasBeing a fan of Lara Croft and her male counter-part Nathan Drake, I jumped at the chance to play the new Tomb Raider game. Thinking it was a sequel I was quite surprised that it was a prequel, it made me wanna play it even more, finding out her back story and experiencing her first kill was exciting for me. The controls are a lot easier on the new game than the old. The story line was awesome, not to long but not to short, just right! And there lots of 'Tombs' to 'Raid' lol, upgradable guns, secrets to uncover. All in all i give this game a rating of 10/10 cause u know who wouldn't, Tomb Raider is just an awesome game, especially if ya bored and ya wanna go hunting for animals.

-AG-
  29. Aug 16, 2013
    By far the best PS3 game I've played for a LONG time! If you are a fan of the Uncharted series, then you're gonna love this one too. Great action and platforming with a story a lot like something from Uncharted. Although this is a somewhat dark and (sometimes) creepy game with quite a decent amount of blood and gore it's still an amazing game that's worthy of a replay sometime.
  30. Aug 16, 2013
    To set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments wereTo set the context, I had just finished playing The Last of U (good), and before that Metro: Last Light (really good). I was looking for something to move onto and was worried it would be hard to find something that lived up to the experience of these two games... I was very much pleased with the Tomb Raider. I think the developers did an awesome job with the game, the environments were great, voice acting top notch, and the game play had a lot of the traditional Tomb Raider without being overly difficult or cumbersome... I enjoyed the whole game, BUT, OMG, The MP IS ABOUT THEN MOST HORRIBLE THING I have ever seen on this generation console... WHY DID THEY BOTHER? I played it once and almost barfed at the stark contrast. Play it for the single player experience and move onto something else. for me, I am going back and catching up with the Dishonored DLC. Expand

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]