Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.4

1. Aug 10, 2016
    Tomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautifulTomb raider was my favorite series when it first came out, yeah I know, Im old. I loved the first three games, but after that I lost interest in the series. Cut to 2013 due to me having an amazon card buring a hole in my pocket, I end up getting this game for nostalgic reasons. Im am glad to say "awesome sauce". From the beginning to the end, I enjoyed this title. Pure quality, beautiful graphics, great mechanics, eerie set pieces, dank tombs, lots of collectables, bad ass enemies plus the story is interesting and entertaining. The game is just fun to play, a real good time. They even threw in a little multiplayer to spice things up. If you like tomb raider or uncharted series, you'll really enjoy this... Expand
  2. Jul 4, 2016
    This was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want toThis was one of the best games I've ever played since GOW. The action mixed with movie scenes and interactive gameplay were done extremely well. The character reacts quickly to the commands. Only rarely she would fail to take out the climbing ax on time, but otherwise I rank this among the top favorite games. A little too much shooting for my taste, but each scene makes you want to continue for more. Definitely worth going back to previous chapters to upgrade the weapons. I wish after completing it, the island becomes bright and sunny when you want to continue the incomplete stuff. The tombs are the puzzles in the game, but I was glad there weren't swarms of enemies inside. Any doubts, I recommend buying it. You won't regret it. Expand
  3. May 12, 2016
    Great game on PS3. It has beautiful graphic and superb control. I played Uncharted before and didn't very like it because felt like watching movie, but Tomb Raider really like playing a game. There are experience, salvage and gear to improve Lara Croft. It has back tracking system to find hidden collectibles as well gain experience and salvage to become the very bad-ass than no one ever was.
  4. May 5, 2016
    Tomb Raider may get a tad repetitive at times, and feels like a femme version of Uncharted. With that said it is still a solid game with great action set pieces, gorgeous graphics, and nice dose of atmosphere. Fast paced (I beat it in about a day and half) and a lot of fun.
  5. Dec 12, 2015
    It's REALLY good.
    It's REALLY good.
    The reboot of the iconic franchise, Tomb Raider is a shining example of what video game characters can be. The game itself is built very well, the story is engaging, the presentation is fantastic, the amount of depth put into it is deep, the gameplay is exciting, and the game is overall breath-taking. But what really makes this game great is it's representation of Lara Croft. She isn't just a hot female protagonist, she's a character that you care about, she's a character is a better Nathan Drake than most other characters in video game history. The only real thing that I didn't like about the game was the survival aspect, being more of a ways to get XP, and the multiplayer really isn't that good, it doesn't mirror the actual game well. (Well, this game has been out for 2 years now, there probably isn't any servers online anymore.) It's great, and is worth every penny.

Tomb Raider gets a 9/10.
  6. Dec 1, 2015
    This was my first Tomb Raider experience and it is safe to say that I am hooked. The designs are beautifully crafted and the story constantly propels you deeper into the life of Lara Croft. This game always had exciting thrills and was a fun adventure from start to finish. A must own and addicting in the best way.
  7. Nov 9, 2015
    I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however....I have had the pleasure of playing through this game once on two systems, my PC and my PS3. I played TR originally on PC maxed out with a 360 controller, i enjoyed every bit of the game, started collecting for PS3, i thought why th ehell not and added a physical copy to my collection, i expected it to be a downgraded experience especially with hardware being vastly different, however.... even on PS3 this game is breathtaking obviously not as much as the first time, but from memory of me playing it on PC, i have no qualms with it's visuals at all and the game remains at a stable enough framerate even during heavy combat.
    I own all previous TR games across a few systems.. PS1/Dreamcast/PS2/PS3 this TR is different, but in a good way, exploring the open parts of the game, (i say parts as you have to fast travel to other areas) is fun, trying to locate all docs/GPS Caches/Tombs and relics is a nice side quest, and gives this game more to it's fundamental gameplay armory.
    A 10/10 experience.
  8. Sep 28, 2015
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. If You Loved This Video Game So Much You Sud Intend To Buy It Right **** Cunning Now? Gotta Too Play This Game On PlayStation 3 And PlayStation 4 And XBOX ONE Expand
  9. Jul 7, 2015
    I have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactlyI have to be honest, I wasn't expecting to be thrilled when I got this game. The typical Tomb Raider had lots of buttons to use on the PC. Luckily, I got this on the PS3 and using a controller made life "simpler". I was gradually getting bored with the typical lay out of the game. I was excited to play the anniversary TR as I played the original one back in the 90's, but wasn't exactly excited with the others. Don't get me wrong, I didn't hate them and I still play them occasionally. THIS TR game was thrilling. I spent hours trying to get everything the game offered. I had moment of feeling like I was actually in the game. There was so much action, I was actually sweating. I love this game and I am definitely unhappy the sequel will only be on the XBOX. This game is a breathe of fresh air. The story is gritty and dark, but so good! The graphics were great. The controls were great. I do have to say the some missions were more difficult as there wasn't enough information available to know what to do. Then again. I was playing that mission at 3:30 AM.

I really didn't like the supporting characters though. It seemed like they were more in the way than anything else.

I recommend this game for TR fans that might have gotten bored, but still loved the franchise.
  10. Jan 16, 2015
    This game drove me crazy, all it has is extremely well done, characters, effect, fights, weapons,music, sounds, everything is wonderfull, I love lara since now, hahha 10/10
  11. Jan 7, 2015
    This is one of the best tomb raider game. I'm a fan of Tomb Raider games. Played every tomb raider except Tomb Raider Underworld. Puzzles are rather simpler in this game. But background atmosphere and visuals are awesome. deserves 9/10.
  12. Jan 5, 2015
    Class game of high quality - stunning graphics, brilliant acting and voice acting - especially by Camilla Luddington and Robin Atkin Downes. Take part in a thrilling storyline, with good gameplay - if not a little unrefined. Do those guards over there have infinite molotovs?!?!? (Reminds me of the Rocket Launchers in Star Wars Bounty Hunter)

8/10 - Ben Hazelden
  13. Dec 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is an excellent game that gets completely revamp the series. The game tells the first adventure of Lara Croft, the origin of the famous explorer from a terrible tragedy and their struggle to survive. A game that manages all your purposes, and does not disappoint anyone.

-------------------------- Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la

--------------------------

Tomb Raider es un excelente videojuego que consigue renovar por completo la saga. El juego nos cuenta la primera aventura de Lara Croft, el origen de la famosa exploradora desde una terrible tragedia y su lucha por sobrevivir. Un juego que logra todo sus propositos, y que no defraudara a nadie.
  14. Nov 11, 2014
    I liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other gamesI liked this game. I think it's important to start off with the fact that I had never played a Tomb Raider game before this one. I have Underworld sitting on my shelf, and I want to go back and play the classics now, but I didn't have any story or character expectations going into this game. The visuals even on the PS3 were great. They were on par or better than some of the other games that released at the same time as it. I felt almost immediately like I understood who Laura was and what her goals were when she got to the island. The story definitely carried me threw the game, but unfortunately the last 2 hours of story just dragged a bit much for me. SPOILERS AHEAD - (I thought I was almost done with the game when I saved my friend and escaped the temple and etc. etc. two more hours were left and they dragged) SPOILERS OVER The final boss fight was a glorified quick time event, and while I'm not opposed to QTEs I think the boss battle should have rewarded me for all the upgraded weapons I had made.

The game play was good. It runs a lot like other third person shooters. I enjoyed the mix of weapons which as they upgraded added new options for working my way through the mass of bad guys in each level. The platforming parts of the game were great. The rush that comes from being shot at while trying to balance or make a well timed leap is great. There were some puzzle only sections in the special tombs that could be found and raided for weapon and skill upgrades.

The upgrade system for skills and weapons was pretty well rounded and didn't dive too deep into the "once you get that move you are unkillable" world that some games do. It also wasn't pointless. Some of the upgrades really do make Laura a better stalker which is how I tried to play a lot of the game. It isn't a stealth game per say but I liked that I could play a very stealthy Laura and not have every encounter devolve into a machine gun blasting rampage. Don't get me wrong those are great, but I like that some areas could be handled more tactically.

Tomb raider let's you explore a vast island with different open areas that you only end up returning to once or twice in the story playthrough. I had the option to return more than that as my skills went up to find more secrets, tombs, and upgrades; but I was able to play through the game without doing too much extra stuff. I was never forced to do a side quest and could always choose how deep I wanted to go into the island's mysteries. I am still considering going back and trying for the platinum, but there are so many games I have left to play right now.

My favorite part of the game was probably the "Secret tomb puzzles". These pure platform puzzle areas were unique and made me utilize my head instead of just jumping for the yellow bar like some games. The rewards for the puzzles were usually key parts to upgrading a gun or a significant skill boost. I didn't groan when I found a tomb because I knew they would make me more survivable and not reward me with a stupid multiplayer costume.

My least favorite part of the game had to be the two different gore tunnels Laura found herself in during the game. The tunnels weren't full of enemies or traps, it just made you wade or crawl slowly through a mush of human and animal remains. I'm not sure what the purpose of this was other than to freak out my wife who was watching during one session or to make me annoyed at the slow pace the two scenes add to the game. I wasn't held in suspense, just a little queasy at the end.

This game does a great job of blending story, character, and gameplay. It ends before it gets too repetitive and there are ample opportunities to return and do extra work on the island. It looks and sounds beautiful. This game made me want to go back and play older tomb raider games so it's definitely doing something right.

In Conclusion

+ Audio and Visual style
    + Skill and weapon upgrade system
    + game play especially tombs, and puzzles with enemies
    - Gore tunnels
    - Story lasts a little bit too long
  15. Oct 11, 2014
    This game is one of the best games I've ever played for its amazing visuals, fantastic story, interesting characters especially Lara who portrayed so well by Camilla Luddington, excellent gameplay and a gorgeous open world. This game would have been a 10 if not for its multiplayer, I mean its not the worst multiplayer ever but its not that exciting.
  16. Jul 7, 2014
    Let me start by saying that this is the very first Tomb Raider title I have ever played, though I have played and extremely enjoyed the Uncharted series. I thought this game was a whole lot of fun and it's a truly fresh way to introduce us to Lara Croft. The level design is fantastic, the graphics are beautiful and the action set pieces are pretty extreme.

You will enjoy using the bow

You will enjoy using the bow and arrow a whole lot, especially once you get flaming and exploding arrows.

It's a really great game and I enjoyed it till the very end. Doesn't best Uncharted for me, but it's a close second when it comes to adventure games such as these. I definitely recommend this one, go out and buy it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.
  17. Jul 2, 2014
    I want to give this game 9.5 but I can't. There were a couple of tiny things which bothered me, but overall gameplay, story, graphics, sounds etc were 100%. When you look back and try and play Tomb Raider from even a couple of years ago you get frustrated so quickly the new technology has created seamless interaction. Great game well implemented.
  18. Jun 26, 2014
    This is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn'tThis is the by far the best Uncharted game yet. My only real gripe is there is not enough tombs/puzzles. I feared it would end up being a **** interactive movie like the first 3 Uncharted games, but ended up besting all of them in almost every department. Okay, you got me- I never played the first one. After playing the 2nd and 3rd I know I never will. Yes, I do know this really isn't an Uncharted game. Thank Christ for that. Expand
  19. May 5, 2014
    The reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. AwesomeThe reboot combines elements of the old franchise, Uncharted and even Farcry to make an epic game. The graphics are lush and the puzzles are just hard enough to keep you trying again and again. Combat is frustrating at times but is more accessible than the Uncharted combat. The multiplayer is poor but this game is not about MP. I was lucky enough to get this 'free' with plus. Awesome stuff. The only downside is having to wait for the sequel. Expand
  20. Apr 19, 2014
    It's a great game, the gameplay is awesome, although it borrows a lot of the Uncharted series, but so did the first Uncharted from the older Tomb Raider games.
    The story is cliché as hell and is full of stereotypical characters, but doesn't go stupid at all.
  21. Apr 14, 2014
    I've never played the original games, and I honestly not sure if I would have ever gotten around to playing this one if it weren't for PS Plus. It's just not a series I have taken any previous interest in. Well all that changes with this latest entry. It's single-player makes for one of the best action experiences you'll find in gaming, and it's just an all around blast.

The game looks

The game looks fantastic, and the voice acting and soundtrack are top-notch. The story is mostly well-done, and the characters emotions are believable, even if they aren't these aren't the smartest survivors out there. Even main character Lara Croft fails to recognize the obvious twists in the story until hours after they have been revealed. This is all forgivable when you're actually playing the game, taking in it's fantastic setting and atmosphere, and experiencing it's many awesome set-pieces.

Gameplay here is excellent. It clearly borrows from the Uncharted series, and rivals that series in many ways with it's excellent gunplay and platforming. Environments are filled with collectibles and other items to scavenge that you can use to upgrade your weapons. There are plenty of reasons to pull yourself away from the main quest for a little bit. Even doing things like hunting animals can gain you valuable XP that you can use to upgrade Lara's survival skills. With all the fun stuff that is going on, the story mode can be hard to put down. Sadly the same can't be said for the game's multiplayer, which is a truly buggy and unpolished experience.

With characters that glitch around the map, rough graphics, and severe balancing issues, this is the epitome of a good game with bad multiplayer. It feels unfinished and rushed, and conflicts are largely one-sided affairs where one side completely destroys another with no apparent reasoning. I had matches where my bullets would take out my opponents in a few hits, only to experience another match where it felt like I was shooting my opponents BB gun pellets. The multiplayer feels broken, and it in no way matches the extreme level of excellence that the campaign achieves. I was done with it after only a few matches, and I would have given the game a better score had multiplayer not been included at all.

Overall the majority of this game is incredibly impressive. From a technical standpoint it's gorgeous and plays perfectly. It's story mode is tight and a heck of a lot of fun. As long as you avoid the multiplayer you will have a blast with the game. This is one 3rd person action game with a story-mode that rivals even the work of the mighty Naughty Dog. Truly this is one you do not want to miss. I give it an 8.5/10-Great.
  22. Apr 2, 2014
    I agree with all the negative comments and the Fact that this is definitely Nathan Drake's twin sister, but it was fun and much more realistic than the previous TR, Ladies and Gentleman let the game-play and characters evolve. I loved using the bow.
  23. Mar 23, 2014
    I very much wanted to hate this game as to me it looked like a Uncharted Clone and im not the biggest fan of the story of uncharted was never that strong.

But the story is a lot stronger but not with out it's flaws. The gun/bow play is very enjoyable and the setting is lovely.

It defiantly worth a buy.
  24. Mar 23, 2014
    Best Tomb Raider game in the serie period. While it does looks a little "Uncharted-y", it's more open world that the game it copied on. The gameplay is great too.
  25. Mar 17, 2014
    Haven't played such a great game since Metal Gear Solid on PS1 !
    Great story, amazing gameplay controls
    Graphics are outstanding.
    Its a classic game and must have.
    Its not dull and repetitive like the old tomb raider games and not as frustrating controls.
    The story line is very engaging and fight scenes are very entertaining.
  26. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confidentTomb Raider is a adernaline filled origin story that never fails to exite in single player and frustrate in multiplayer. The single player of tomb raider is fantastic, although any character but Lara are boring and underdevolped speaking of Lara Camilla Ludington puts in a fantastic performance as the famous action heroine who adds starts as an scared lonely castaway to a confident survivor although some scenes like Lara''s first kill felt unneccesary as after she slo-mo kills three kills with not so much as a flinch. The gameplay in Tomb Raider is great, the combat is fantastic thanks to a great variety of weapons and gear but unlike the first Uncharted it feels more like skipping the cutscenes for the combat than the other way round. The first hour or so feels quite slow and filled with button mashing QTE's that feel out of place. The puzzles that made tomb raider famous return's here but without the bigger and more complex mechanisms and alot more hand holding like the new special ability "survival instincts" which highlights any objects that can be interacted with and just makes things easier. Tomb Raider's multiplayer is a glitchy mess that is no fun and should not be played by anyone. Tomb Raider provides thrills throughout but is bogged down by a broken multiplayer and underdevolped side characters.
    8.5/10
  27. Mar 15, 2014
    Tomb Raider lets us into the store of Lara Crofts origins, and her evolution from a mere adventurer to a true survivor, and of course, the tomb raider.

I must be honest here; when I first saw this game, I thought it was going to be dull and pretentious, another release of abhorrent mainstream trash that is constantly spewed our way by these so-called "developers". I was so wrong about that, and feel I must never judge a game by mere snippets of gameplay ever again.

You see, Tomb Raider is a big game. I'm saying this, and I haven't even touched the multiplayer yet. The story is expansive and rather detailed, certainly very captivating. There are many different collectibles to find, tombs to raid, and weapons to upgrade (oh yes; LOTS of upgrades). Let's start with the story.

Having washed up on the shores of Yamatai, an island infamous for it's tendency to swallow adventures whole, Lara is soon knocked down, and woken inside a dark, dreary cave. She must get out, and it's here that the game instantly gets to show off it's physics engine; ropes swing the way they should, fire burns the way it should, and Lara...well, Lara falls the way she should. Right into a jutting metal pole, in fact. This the beginning setup to a fantastic adventure throughout the island, to save her friends, and escape Yamatai, discovering secrets along the way.

As I just mentioned, the game features a fantastic physics engine, which is used to solve puzzles throughout the game, as well as bypass obstacles and eliminate foes. The game feels almost free, although you are enclosed in specific areas. Each area, however, has a good deal of things to collect and areas to explore, including tombs, which are effectively Tomb Raiders' little side puzzles, rewarding you with salvage (used to upgrade weapons) upon completion.

And with that, I will move onto the upgrade system. Each weapon in Tomb Raider has it's own set of upgrades, which not only enhance performance, but also change visually. Collecting weapon parts allow you to transfer your current weapon into something far more powerful, unlocking more upgrades along the way. You will start off with an old, flimsy bow, and end up with a deadly sports bow; an old Thompson can be transferred into a fully fledged assault rifle, and so on. It's not only the weapons with upgrades, but Lara herself can be upgraded, giving you new abilities, enhanced senses, and deathly new tactics to use in a firefight, this upgrades are more than just window shopping.

The combat is brutal, and the game is full of set pieces in which you must escape from falling bridges, collapsing planes, burning villages, and more. It also makes use of an uncharted-style climbing system, giving you a little break between gunning down foes and puzzling over challenges. This adds a vital diversity to the game, and it works.

Ultimately, Tomb Raider is the game you HAVE to buy if you have the money, and considering it's currently free on PS+, there has never been a more opportune time to give your survival reflexes a run. Flawless game.
  28. Mar 11, 2014
    Amazing game. Slightly ripped off Uncharted but I guess Uncharted ripped off Tomb Raider in the first place. Who cares the game is brilliant. Story may be a little clichéd, but it is engrossing and entertaining.

The weapon advancement and the character upgrading are very well done, gives you the addicts rush of "a little bit more and I'll turn it off" striving for another few bits of salvage or exp.

Getting this on PS+ was an added bonus. I do prefer this kind of game not to come with DLC that has to be pad for so only 9/10 if it was a no DLC game then 10/10
  29. Feb 21, 2014
    This is good games, the graphics are beautiful, the puzzles are stimulating, and the story was thrilling till the end. It was amazing seeing how Lara changed throughout the game.
  30. Feb 7, 2014
    I was never a big fan of the Tomb Raider series, but this reboot gives not only a origin story to Lara Croft, but adds new dynamic gameplay, which is just so much fun, I'm looking forward to other games.

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Apr 3, 2013
    There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Hyper Magazine
    Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]