Tomb Raider PlayStation 3

8.3

1. Mar 9, 2013
    As a die-hard Uncharted fan I can easily say that this game is a game to be reckoned with and to boast about. Crystal Dynamics has done a great job in terms of storytelling and especially gameplay, with the bow and arrow being a pleasure to use. It's Naughty Dog's turn now, hopefully if they release Uncharted 4 they will have the Tomb Raider standard to have to top.
  2. Mar 5, 2013
    This is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tombThis is the new standard for tomb raider. The atmosphere is amazing. Great story so Far( i am 5 hours in) The gameplay is great. And for the first time in a long Time i truly care about lara. And if She lives or dies. The only cons are the multiplayer feels of uncharted lite. But the cover system is great. I love being as stealthy as I can be. I am very much looking forward for tomb raider 2. lol. Don't let this one pass you by!!!! Expand
  3. Mar 9, 2013
    I went into this hesitant, mainly because I wanted to see would Crystal Dynamics butcher this franchise, and they haven't! I've enjoyed this game tremendously and cannot wait to see where this series' future will head towards.But for those of you who wish to know why this is a beautiful, well-crafted game, I have compiled sections of mini reviews on each aspect of the game down below.I went into this hesitant, mainly because I wanted to see would Crystal Dynamics butcher this franchise, and they haven't! I've enjoyed this game tremendously and cannot wait to see where this series' future will head towards.But for those of you who wish to know why this is a beautiful, well-crafted game, I have compiled sections of mini reviews on each aspect of the game down below.

Gameplay: 8/10

This is where this game really hits it home.Lara begins her journey into survivor-hood with a basic bow and a couple of arrows, but over the course of the game she gets everything from a tactical pistol to a grenade launcher.These weapons can be upgraded giving the bow such things as napalm arrows, (Which do a nasty amount of damage!) but the upgrades come with a cost."Salvage" is your upgrading currency and can be found throughout the island, make sure to scavenge as much as this as you can, because you'll need it! Skill points play a major part in "upgrading Lara" as they allow her to gain cool new moves from the "Brawler" category of skills.These upgrades are done through means of attaining a set amount of xp from completing challenges, killing enemies and so on. Other neat additions to the gameplay is the climbing axe which allows you to traverse high cliffs, and the puzzles,(Albeit mediocre) found all over the island's secret tombs.The gameplay would've gotten a 10/10 from me but the inclusion of Quick-Time Events prevents that, they cause cheap deaths and really added nothing to the game, only detracted from it.

Story:7.5/10

For Crystal Dynamics to make Lara a compelling personality and true survivor, they needed an equally compelling story and true experience of a survivor. The trapping of Lara an her friends on an island in the Dragon's Triangle provides just that. Lara really feels like a human in this, when confronted in different situations such as saying sorry to the first deer she's killed to feeling full of sorrow after murdering another person. Seeing Lara undergo the change of an innocent woman, to a dual-wielding badass was truly amazing, although the pacing was quite quick.The motive pushing Lara on, is to rescue her friends from the ever mysterious Mathias and his following of cronies, and to escape from the island engulfed in madness.Lara is without a doubt, the most fleshed out character in the story and apart from Mathias, her best-friend Sam, and father-like figure to Lara, Roth, the supporting characters are essentially a bunch of stereotypes. This is definitely a game that does better in gameplay over story in my opinion.

Graphics:8/10

While the graphics aren't up to par with the console's best this gen "Uncharted 3", they're certainly very pretty. There was also no framerate issues with the game for me, which I was surprised with. The island provides elegant scenery with everything from the smallest plant, to the grand snowy cliffs, are done to a high detail. Graphics are usually a bonus to me anyway,they don't make a game in my opinion. So if you are one who favours nice graphics, you might want to give this game a try.

Sound: 9/10

Jason Graves certainly composed an excellent soundtrack for this game, and captures the emotions of each scene perfectly, but I felt no track in particular stood out. Each arrow fired, to the howling of wolves are all very crisp and sound life-like. All of this makes for a brilliant and immersive experience in my opinion.

Overall: 8/10

Solid campaign, unique gameplay, enough story to keep you enthralled in the game, the score is well done, but where the game really loses credit is the multiplayer. I admit that it is fun to an extent,incredibly inspired by the Uncharted series' multiplayer, but it feels lacklustre.I feel as if the game could've done just fine without it. but hey, I guess it adds some value to it! Amazing experience for me and I'd recommend it to anyone with a thirst for adventure.
  4. Mar 6, 2013
    After years of poor tomb raider games a reboot was well needed. The new gameplay is fun as you can either choose to sneak around killing everyone or go in all guns blazing. The story is interesting and the exploration is fun. The multiplayer is this games only let down but im not going to let it affect my score as any true fan knows tomb raider is a single player game!
  5. Mar 12, 2013
    Lara Croft is back and the best she's ever been! Since Tomb Raider: Underworld's release, Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work putting together this origin story, and it definitely pays off. An unbelievably unique game in many ways. It is true that some inspiration is taken from modern titles like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, if it hadn't the outcome may well have been aLara Croft is back and the best she's ever been! Since Tomb Raider: Underworld's release, Crystal Dynamics has been hard at work putting together this origin story, and it definitely pays off. An unbelievably unique game in many ways. It is true that some inspiration is taken from modern titles like the Uncharted series, but to be honest, if it hadn't the outcome may well have been a completely different game. I believe Naughty Dog's series gave Tomb Raider the boost it needed to evolve for more mature audiences. The script is brilliantly written by talented Rihanna Pratchett, already having worked on female-driven action games. The gameplay is tense, adrenaline-fuelled action and adventure, with a lot of exploration opportunities. The most important feat Crystal Dynamics has accomplished is that they have created an entirely new, 3-Dimensional Lara Croft who is so much more human. I have yet to complete the game and I must say I am nowhere near disappointed in any way. The over system is unique in such a way that I expect other games to adapt this revolutionary technique in future titles. An absolute must-have! Even if you were not a Tomb Raider fan previously, now is the time to get in on the action.
    NOTE: Having now completed the game, I deducted a point based purely on the multiplayer. Although at times fun, it shows just how rushed and un-evolved it is. The single player may well have been improved with a longer duration.
  6. Mar 8, 2013
    Just finished the game. One of the best games this gen. If you love Uncharted you'll love this game. The story was cool, the graphics were top notch for a multi platform game. And the setting and set pieces were stunning. I love those asian set pieces like Uncharted 2 also did. Great work Crystal Dynamics keep 'em coming.
  7. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The coverTomb Raider is back and better than ever. What's awesome is that, despite being a reboot, the classic aspects of Tomb Raider that we all know and love is still very much present in this game. There is still a huge emphasis on puzzles, platforming, and exploration. Combat, this time around, is much more prevalent which isn't necessarily a bad thing; it works well, and is seamless. The cover system itself is innovative, eliminating the chunkiness of taking cover that plagues most third person shooters. Instead, Lara blends with environments with ease. The new Lara is a huge improvement over the past iterations. The story is also stronger than the past games which gives us incentive to care about the characters. All in all, an amazing game. It's no wonder that, after 9 games, Lara is considered an icon. She is a legend. Enough said. Expand
  8. Mar 6, 2013
    I enjoyed this game immensely. I am a long time Tomb Raider fan and I thought this game was a well needed breath of fresh air. I think Lara has earned back her treasure hunting crown from Nathan Drake (not bashing uncharted, love those games too) as there is plenty to see and explore in Tomb Raider, even after the story ends.
  9. Mar 16, 2013
    As Tomb Raider was one of the first PS Games I've played in my life, I was really excited for this game, and the result didn't disapoint. Crystal Dinamics made a game that is as fun as addictive, and an epic new beginning for a saga that promises. Tomb Raider is exceptionally great.
    The story introduces us to an innocent Lara and his crew, looking for the lost kingdom of Yamatai. But as an awful storm sweeps them away to an unknown island, Lara must learn to survive as she is separated from his crew by some cruel inhabitants. The story, though it doesn't seem much of a Tomb Raider game, it's one of the best of the whole Tomb Raider saga, 96' and on. Lara's transformation from an innocent explorer to a survivor is incredible, though sometimes rushed. The relation between Gameplay and Story is not sublime. One time, Lara is hardly trying to open a deer's stomach. One second later, she is killing everything she finds. But such a small detail does not make the story a pain in the butt. Lara will discover the island's past throughout the game and it will catch us into the story as it gets more and more attractive (And more Croft) near the fantabulous ending, whose epicness is hard to describe. The game, also has some characters moments, but the lack of character development make us feel nothing for them. Let's put it this way: Someone dies, but as no background story or large talks with that character were introduced in the game, we hardly feel as Lara does. We just know she is sad, end of the story.
    One thing I have to praise to the game is the fantastic combat system. The problem with all the Tomb Raider games is that the gameplay is wonky, and sort of falls flat. But Tomb Raider enhances in a smooth way, with one of the best cover systems a video game could only wish for. The two signature guns from the previous games has changed for the 21st century most hyped weapon, The Bow. And Boy, is it good! Almost all guns are good here. And by collecting different things we will get two types of points: XP Points and Savage points. The last one is useful to upgrade our guns, and make them more lethal, silent or a chaos machine. The XP points are also important, as we can unlock different Finishes (Some kind of Fatalities) we can practice on our enemies, or even help us find the tons of collectibles that are hidden everywhere in the game. There are so many, that trying to complete the game a 100% without knowing anything will probably take a normal person around 30 hours of gameplay. There are also Optional Tombs filled with medium-difficulty puzzles that are extremely rewarding, but the greatest thing about the game is the "Uncharted" style Summer Blockbuster playable scenes where we have to avoid being crushed by a plain or escape an exploding bridge. The "Booms" and "Pows" of Tomb Raider really make it special.
    Now, one thing they could have copied from the successful Uncharted saga is the multiplayer, which is a little bit disappointing, but still is fun. This is mainly because of clunky servers and low resolution textures, because the map design is great and full of incredible ideas, though poorly executed. The "trap system", for example, seems more to be on your con side than on your favour. But...I don't care! Tomb Raider is not COD,...by that, I mean you don't buy it for the multiplayer. You buy it for the action-packed, exciting, epic and nerve-wracking campaign that lacks of replayability (At least you really like collectibles) but provides hours of fun the fans of the world's sexiest archaeologist needed. Tomb Raider is a 9.3, but as I don't have the authority to put that score, I will award it with a solid 9.
  10. Mar 6, 2013
    This is the perfect game for the end of this generation of video games. Tomb Raider is beautifully made, has great storyline and characters and it is a extremely fun game, from beginning to end. But the real point here is Lara Croft. She is more human than ever and also very charismatic. It's a pleasure to play with a female character that is clever and straight, and is not just a "sexyThis is the perfect game for the end of this generation of video games. Tomb Raider is beautifully made, has great storyline and characters and it is a extremely fun game, from beginning to end. But the real point here is Lara Croft. She is more human than ever and also very charismatic. It's a pleasure to play with a female character that is clever and straight, and is not just a "sexy chic". Definitely is a better character than Nathan Drake from Uncharted and, of course, she is an icon. Just three words: BEST-GAME-EVER. Expand
  11. Mar 6, 2013
    I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you,I honestly don't know what I'd change about this game. The location is gorgeous, and wholly believable. definitely gives even far cry 3 a run for its money. The new Lara, who has some of the most believable motion capture I've ever seen in a game, gives an impressive amount emotional range and detail. may be the best game performance ever, i can't remember one more intense. Now, mind you, I love the Uncharted series, but especially when it comes to combat, namely gunplay, this game ANNIHILATES it. This is partially because of the new cover mechanic, and partially because an M rating gives developers more freedom to accurately depict violence. The puzzles are great, as long as you ignore the giveaway hint system, and figure them out on your own. The pacing has adrenaline at a constant high, and have a surprising amount of variation. Story is great, as long as your not easily turned off by a slightly cheesy supporting character or two. All in all, this is the first adventure game that has truly felt like an adventure worth taking. This game game certainly holds the adventure game throne, at least until The Last of Us comes out. Expand
  12. Mar 11, 2013
    This series actually needed reboot, waited in patience and it gets it in a right way, fixing weak aspects of previous games with alive character, interesting story-driven adventure, good combat system. This is a great game which asks you for 2 things only: try it at least for 3 hours and deal with showstopper QTEs (actually, only cinematic-fighting type of them is really annoying, but theyThis series actually needed reboot, waited in patience and it gets it in a right way, fixing weak aspects of previous games with alive character, interesting story-driven adventure, good combat system. This is a great game which asks you for 2 things only: try it at least for 3 hours and deal with showstopper QTEs (actually, only cinematic-fighting type of them is really annoying, but they are not so frequent). Rare puzzles also too easy, but gameplay flow is so nice and joyfully unstoppable so you don't really mention it and keep playing like in childhood till the very end. Expand
  13. Mar 15, 2013
    This is not exactly tomb raider. It feels like Far Cry 3 or Uncharted. Nevertheless, the game is beautifully made, the story is decent, lot of fun fights and not a single glitch. Just do not expect a die-hard tomb raider and you will enjoy the game a lot.
    However, there are parts that are really a let down lot of cinematic action. Often it feels like being back to the laser disk game era. Freedom to move, but not real freedom of action. Useless button smashing action to open chest as well as useless RPG-like elements.
  14. May 21, 2013
    One of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow andOne of the few games this year that I thoroughly enjoyed playing, especially with the taut storytelling of Lara's origin story by Developer Crystal Dynamics that had me rooting for Lara every step of her way. In addition to the story, the gameplay was fantastic too, very tight and responsive controls in movement (climbing axe was awesome) and while in battle (shooting with the bow and arrows was great fun). As an Uncharted fan, I was impressed with the gorgeous majestic cinematic sequences, they were exciting and one scene near the end to me topped Uncharted, and I'm an Uncharted fan to boot. The single drawback to me was the multiplayer, it's just not as fun. I would have preferred if they had a longer single solo playthrough instead of the weak multiplayer. Highly recommended, and keeping my fingers crossed for a sequel! More of the excellent new Lara Croft, please. Expand
  15. Mar 6, 2013
    Yes it borrows heavily from the mechanics of Uncharted, but it also makes it frankly better and refreshing next to Nathan Drakes arsenal. All the tools Lara has by the end really make you feel like a badass and able to take on anything, but in fun and interesting new ways. I have nothing bad to say about the game other than normal gaming issues and bugs. Also the water is extremelyYes it borrows heavily from the mechanics of Uncharted, but it also makes it frankly better and refreshing next to Nathan Drakes arsenal. All the tools Lara has by the end really make you feel like a badass and able to take on anything, but in fun and interesting new ways. I have nothing bad to say about the game other than normal gaming issues and bugs. Also the water is extremely pixelated. It's weird. Expand
  16. Mar 8, 2013
    This is a great reboot for the Tomb Raider Franchise. I rate it a high 8. Everything in the game is well done. The island is very atmospheric with its awesome weather effects. The controls are solid. Tomb raider takes pretty much something from every triple A franchise before it and implements it into its own design just as well as those franchises did. There's stealth elements thatThis is a great reboot for the Tomb Raider Franchise. I rate it a high 8. Everything in the game is well done. The island is very atmospheric with its awesome weather effects. The controls are solid. Tomb raider takes pretty much something from every triple A franchise before it and implements it into its own design just as well as those franchises did. There's stealth elements that feel like your playing a Splinter Cell game, combat and climbing that feels like Uncharted, bonfires from Dark Souls, brutal kills from Gears of War, etc. Everything is incorporated brilliantly while allowing Tomb Raider to still feel like its own game. The game starts off like the typical action adventure that you have played countless other times, but as you progress further and further into the game, the adventure starts opening up and throwing more variety and twists and turns at you. The game gets better and better as you move further into the adventure. An interesting note to make is that in relation to previous Tomb Raider games, this one is a lot more combat/action oriented than puzzle solving. This helps keep the games pace up, but old fans might be disappointed. The tombs are nowhere as cool as Uncharted's, but still a nice break from all the action. Also, finding the collectibles in the game adds a nice bit of challenge and reward for exploration. The reason, it doesn't get a 9 from me is that it never really does anything totally new or had me saying holy that was awesome! For every cool moment, there usually would be countless annoying deaths that followed which would mess up the feeling of excitement. And that's another big con for the game, there will be parts in this game that will piss the out of you, you will want to hurl your controller at the screen. The game starts off relatively easy to moderately easy but near the end gets annoyingly difficult and sometimes it's difficult to tell where to go or Lara just won't do what you want her to do. But overall, it's a huge accomplishment that the game is able to implement so many different features into its design so well for the first time and I'm looking forward to see what Crystal Dynamics can do with the next game. Expand
  17. Mar 5, 2013
    Tomb raider is one of the best game had ever play.The graphics are amazing, the puzzles are like side missions and feels very rewarding to discover the way to its end. I wish a sequel and DLC
  18. Mar 5, 2013
    Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far.Oh wow this game is simply stunning! I've been a fan of Tomb Raider ever since I played the original on my very first computer. Through the years I haven't spent much time with Laura but I'm back for this one and its the best one to date. Everything about this game is a work of art. The gameplay is fluid and looks so beautiful. Let me emphasize on BEAUTIFUL!!! Best game of the year so far. The multiplayer is pretty good and it will get better. They have a lot behind this so they will fix it and it will be loved by most. Either way its a game worth checking out. I'm a happy guy! Expand
  19. Mar 12, 2013
    [Disclaimer: I haven't played the entire game so my review is partly based on actual gameplay and the rest is what I've already read.] Wow. The visuals so far are amazing. It does exceed Uncharted that way, also in the openness of the levels and the natural feel to the platforming and combat. I can tell I'm going to be playing this for a while. I haven't played MP at all, I also don't[Disclaimer: I haven't played the entire game so my review is partly based on actual gameplay and the rest is what I've already read.] Wow. The visuals so far are amazing. It does exceed Uncharted that way, also in the openness of the levels and the natural feel to the platforming and combat. I can tell I'm going to be playing this for a while. I haven't played MP at all, I also don't like that there are MP Trophies required for platinum. If it wasn't for that I'm sure I would Platinum this to explore every nook on the island. The leveling up of the character makes sense, I've read it seems like your a bit powerful at the end. This is a must play for 2013. Might be in the top 3-5 to finish this console cycle. Expand
  20. May 30, 2013
    Great from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one ofGreat from the moment it starts and stays great forever. A little bit of trial and error was annoying, but it doesn't happen too often. The graphics and presentation are some of the best. Like uncharted with a bit more of an open world and a darker tone. Some truly original abilities too, that are intuitive and easy to use. Like using the bow and arrow to create zip-lines. Just one of those near perfect games. Expand
  21. Mar 9, 2013
    wow, what an awesome game. the pace is non stop rush. i loved the design because it is made to have fun with also. this tomb raider is different, but none the less great. laura grew on you and she became s likable believable character. it is obvious that the guys who made this tried to make a great game. my opinion is they did. thanks for an awesome game. visually this work waswow, what an awesome game. the pace is non stop rush. i loved the design because it is made to have fun with also. this tomb raider is different, but none the less great. laura grew on you and she became s likable believable character. it is obvious that the guys who made this tried to make a great game. my opinion is they did. thanks for an awesome game. visually this work was perfect. story was great. game design was player friendly. there weren't the excessive amounts of punishing restarts like the old ones if you made a mistake. this game gets my coveted 10. Expand
  22. Mar 6, 2013
    Great game. Beautiful and awesome environments and I love the exploration aspect of the game. Its among the best action/adventure games on the PS3 but this game is a little more open world while also keeping you engaged and right in the action. Plus the score is amazing, such beautiful music.
  23. ERB
    Nov 1, 2013
    What an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darnWhat an incredible video game.Tomb Raider is totally a work of art or is a masterpiece.The world in this game is huge and the graphics are so cool.Hell there are many tombs in this game that are to be explored.The game play is also fun and even the storyline of this game is also good.Plus you can as always change Lara's outfit which is also great because all of Lara's outfit are darn good.Okay those are some of the good parts and here are the parts that are missing in this game.First of all after finishing the whole game there will be no more enemies to kill.I wish the enemies here are not limited.Second its almost not like a survival game because after she eats one deer there you go you don't need to eat anymore.Sometimes a video game character needs to eat more food.Finally the last one the most important one....there is no more Croft Manor!With the kind of graphics the game has it will be awesome if the manor is in this game.Well anyway this game is good.So for all of you Tomb Raider fans out there you must buy this game and play it. Expand
  24. Mar 8, 2013
    Tomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are someTomb Raider is a brilliantly crafted action/adventure game. Offering a directed experience, Tomb Raider is very cinematic, but it also features large environments within that allow you to explore, collect things, unlock pathways to new areas, etc. in the vein of the Metroidvania games. This is a very polished and beautiful game that deserves your attention. My one complaint are some annoying quick-time events. Expand
  25. Mar 6, 2013
    This new Tomb raider is dirty, beautiful and shocking and Lara really shines in this game!
    Set pieces will make you're jaw drop and keep you at the edge of your seat the whole time!
    Game is amazing and you should get this now!
  26. Mar 5, 2013
    This game does not seem like past Tomb Raider games because it really isn't meant to. It is supposed to be a new start and it gets off to a great one. This games Lara isn't the confident and completely fearless Lara from past titles. She is a vulnerable and more realistic character who really makes the player feel more connected to her. The story is a very rich and exciting one thatThis game does not seem like past Tomb Raider games because it really isn't meant to. It is supposed to be a new start and it gets off to a great one. This games Lara isn't the confident and completely fearless Lara from past titles. She is a vulnerable and more realistic character who really makes the player feel more connected to her. The story is a very rich and exciting one that made it very hard for me to take breaks This game is about her very first expedition and how it helped her become the Lara we all know and let me tell you, it is fantastic. Like Uncharted took inspiration from the original Tomb Raider games, this new Tomb Raider title does the same but still maintains a sense of originality. The gameplay is very easy to grasp and very fluid. Not a whole lot of issues there. Also the game allows a variety of tactics to use. If you want sneak around like Rambo and take everyone out silently with a bow, you can do that. If you are more traditional and want to grab an assault rifle and start a fire fight, then yippee ki yay The whole world is beautiful and I didn't notice any glitches. If there were some, which there probably were, they were so small that you probably won't notice unless you look for them. Camilla Luddington does a fantastic job as Lara and I was impressed with the rest of the voice acting as well. Crystal Dynamics wanted a grittier storyline to take this franchise to new horizons and they succeeded in a triumphant fashion. Hopefully this is a start of a glorious revival of the Tomb Raider franchise. Expand
  27. Mar 5, 2013
    It's been 3 years since we last had a Lara Croft title, 5 years since we had a game bearing the Tomb Raider title, but it has definitely been worth the wait, while the start of the game takes a little while and several QTE's to settle into it's stride what follows is a fantastic action/adventure game that reminds us precisely why Miss Croft was named "Most Successful Human Video Game Heroine"
  28. Mar 5, 2013
    i'm not one to boast on the technical prowess of any game... but i'd have to go on record saying this may very well be some of the best programming i have seen in the genre. the game shines in all aspects. the combat is a trustworthy extention of the the platforming and the set peices never dissapoint. i feel fanboyism could be the only thing that may take this game's score down a fewi'm not one to boast on the technical prowess of any game... but i'd have to go on record saying this may very well be some of the best programming i have seen in the genre. the game shines in all aspects. the combat is a trustworthy extention of the the platforming and the set peices never dissapoint. i feel fanboyism could be the only thing that may take this game's score down a few notches on metacritic.
    truthfully, i have experience with tomb raider one and two, and am having a great time experiencing this reboot. the old laura was a cartoon. the new laura feels like a person. sure, being an action game i'd say tomb raider has similarities to uncharted. but that extends into what you are doing. not the feel of the game or the location. the game feels new, fresh, and revitalized. the enviroments trump uncharted's in sheer beauty and scale. these are very tightly woven vistas with great pacing. i feel, the tomb raider fanboys are going to hate that laura's cup size changed, and the uncharted fanboys are going to make bold copycat claims without playing the game. it's just how these sites work. but trust me, this game is worth the purchase... it feels almost next generation in it's polish. everything looks and feels great. i'm unsure of the story as of now becuase im only half way through it...but i'm willing to wager that the last 6 hours have been some of the funnest times i have had with a game since uncharted 2, skyrim and farcry3 even though this outing bares little resemblance to any of those titles. i'd check it out if i were you. and don't forget about bioshock infinite later this month! "the truth shall set you free"
  29. Mar 7, 2013
    Amazing gameplay and graphics anyone voting under a 8 or 7 at the very least is obliviously either not played it or just trolling just like:-

guyphs Constantine I still love it how people say this is not a Tomb Raider game well no S$%* Sherlock it is a reboot read that word again REBOOT lol it is made to be different you cannot compare this to any of the other Tomb Raider games.
  30. Jun 13, 2013
    I really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuffI really enjoyed this game and had a great time with it. It probably deserves a 9 but for me I finished it in 3 sessions and that is just too short. Playing this reminded me of when PS2 came out with God of War, this game has that same excitement and action the entire way through. The only exception to this was the start of the game I found it too easy and too much looking around for stuff on the map. Thankfully the more you played the game the better the action became and also the story. This is a very clean game with no glitches and bugs and I would like to thank the software developers for releasing a game with no errors of any sorts. I did have a few cosmetic glitches but they were really minor. The upgrade paths to the weapons were fun but really they paced the game as to how to play the game. I both liked this and didnt. On one hand it made the game quite easy but on the other dampened the consequences of what you picked. All in all though the game was fantastic in terms of action so I can't really complain there too. My only complaint about the game really was I don't like to play games who rely on a dark setting to make the game difficult. I do understand this is an exploration game but the game relied on so many other games, all of which I enjoyed but I found the night time/creepy dark atmosphere in some scenes to just be annoying and give me a headache playing in the dark. I could have adjusted visual settings but it still ruins the set atmosphere. Overall I would recommend this game to everyone, it was finishable very easily but also very fun, non stop action pretty much all the way through. This game is well worth your time, it may be quite cut and paste/copycat but overall the entertainment value is definately worth the pricetag. Expand

1. Apr 11, 2013
    This reboot of the series not only surpassed my expectations, but it is easily one of the best games I have played in a long time. If you're like me and love story driven games that offer a great gaming experience then Tomb Raider is definitely for you.
  2. There’s no denying Tomb Raider is a heavily influenced work, both mechanically and aesthetically (its nods to Neil Marshall’s The Descent are so happy to be there at one point Lara even re-enacts the “girlrising-out-of-sea-of-blood” scene). While it offers nothing wholly original, its salvaged parts combine to produce an experience that is consistently better than anything its own heroes have produced. [April 2013, p70]
  3. Mar 28, 2013
    Despite occasional dissonance between narrative and game mechanics, Tomb Raider is a highly polished, highly accomplished reboot. Kudos, Crystal Dynamics. [Issue#235]