Two Worlds II PlayStation 3

7.0

1. Jan 31, 2011
    i have to admit that my original review of this game (a zero) was a little harsh. this game make a horrible first impression. the camera is broken no matter how you set it, the dialog is horrible, inventory management is cumbersome at best, and switching between weapon sets mid combat is useless. at first glance this game will piss you off if you just spent $60 on it. however, if youi have to admit that my original review of this game (a zero) was a little harsh. this game make a horrible first impression. the camera is broken no matter how you set it, the dialog is horrible, inventory management is cumbersome at best, and switching between weapon sets mid combat is useless. at first glance this game will piss you off if you just spent $60 on it. however, if you give it a couple of hours it will really start to grow on you. i have spent approximately 12 hours playing this since i couldn't bring myself to lose money on a return, and i have to say i am pleasantly surprised. it has an interesting since of humor. the map is enormous and the quest ive completed so far have been fun enough. all i can say is give this game a chance, it does get considerably better after the fist couple of hours. Expand
  2. Feb 10, 2011
    Two worlds II is a major improvement from the first two worlds game which for some reason was still kind of fun despite all of its horrendous flaws. Regardless I still found myself psyched for this game for some reason after first reading about it last year. After many delays and gamestop deciding they didn't want to send my copy, that I paid for might I add, of the two worlds 2 royalTwo worlds II is a major improvement from the first two worlds game which for some reason was still kind of fun despite all of its horrendous flaws. Regardless I still found myself psyched for this game for some reason after first reading about it last year. After many delays and gamestop deciding they didn't want to send my copy, that I paid for might I add, of the two worlds 2 royal edition version to my area. I had finally gotten to play this game by going out and renting it from a local rental place. I quickly found myself hooked from the get go. I really have only a few negative things to say about this game first off I think there should have been fully customizable controls. I've never been a huge fan of using the R2 to attack/shoot pending on the game on the ps3 controller as it feels more natural by using R1. Not a huge deal as you get used to the controls eventually. The menus seem a little cluttered as well but that's also not really a huge deal as you get used to it. Voice acting if you compared to the first TW is awesome. Comparing it to any other game. It's just okay. Some of the VA sound terrible at times and the main character doesn't really pop the annoying random sentences as much. Graphics and environment look generally good. Towns seem to have frequent frame rate drops but look good as well. Character models aside from the main character.. Don't look very good and it thoroughly shows in the cutscenes which look very last gen and horrendous. I would have also liked to see more towns, areas and quests in the game as it seems very short and there really aren't a lot of out of the way areas.. On a good note playing 30+ hours I've found myself hooked on playing as a magic type character. The spell system is very fun and probably one of the best I've seen in an open world RPG type game. Loads of customization make it more fun as well. All in all this game this game is not bad I was going to give it an 8 but then I remembered how bad the cutscenes look. I would say for fans of open world type RPG's like the it's definitely one to at least try. Expand
  3. Feb 2, 2011
    It's sad that I no longer feel that I can trust game reviews. I don't understand how anyone in their right minds could give this game a 9 or 10 (putting it in the same league as Mass Effect 2, Demon's Souls etc). The gameplay is awkward, the interfaces are a pain to navigate and the graphics are about 4 years behind. Unless you have way to much time on your hands, and have alreadyIt's sad that I no longer feel that I can trust game reviews. I don't understand how anyone in their right minds could give this game a 9 or 10 (putting it in the same league as Mass Effect 2, Demon's Souls etc). The gameplay is awkward, the interfaces are a pain to navigate and the graphics are about 4 years behind. Unless you have way to much time on your hands, and have already played every other RPG out there, I'd say Two Worlds II is one you could pass on. Expand
  4. Feb 14, 2011
    As much as I disliked the first Two Worlds, you'd think I wouldn't have gotten so worked up over the constant delays and cancellations that its sequel was saddled with, yet for some reason each time its release was pushed back I became more and more aggravated. Though the first game wasn't exactly perfect it did have that authentic European CRPG feel that I've come to love and appreciateAs much as I disliked the first Two Worlds, you'd think I wouldn't have gotten so worked up over the constant delays and cancellations that its sequel was saddled with, yet for some reason each time its release was pushed back I became more and more aggravated. Though the first game wasn't exactly perfect it did have that authentic European CRPG feel that I've come to love and appreciate over the past decade, and it was this fact that made me anxious to play a re-tooled and properly play tested sequel. After breaking down and importing the international version through gogamer last month I finally managed to play the game that had been on European gamer's hard drives since last October...And I'm not sure the wait was really worth it.

The first Two Worlds was initially pitched to gamers as an "online Oblivion" that coupled deep singleplayer with a very rewarding cooperative multiplayer experience that the fans of Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series had been clamoring for during the past ten years. It promised so much and yet delivered so little that it's no wonder so few gamers speak positively about their experiences with it. Thanks to a very forgettable (and in my experience, mostly PvP-centered) online mode and a story that was as bland and devoid of class as a cup of tap water it was only the promise of 300 gamer points for defeating the last boss that kept me going until the end. I had hoped Two Worlds 2 would be better, and I was assured through marketing hype that it would be.

While better than the first game in several ways, Two Worlds 2 still falls short of being what I consider to be a quality CRPG.

To prove this you need look no further than the size of the game's world and compare it to the first. While the first game wasn't exceptionally large it was still big enough for me to leave large sections of it unexplored due to lack of time. This sequel, however, has a singleplayer landmass that is divided between three very small islands that when combined barely reach the same size of The Elder Scrolls 3 - Morrowind. Which is sad when you consider Morrowind is coming up on it's 9th birthday this spring.

In the 40-50 hours it took me to clear the singleplayer portion of the game I had easily (and unintentionally) filled in half of the game world by the 10 hour mark. After completing the Island of Ashos it only took me only another few hours to finish the final few miles of the game's spartan landmass, resulting in a very disappointing final rush to the end that was spurred on more by me wanting to finish it rather than actually being curious as to what I'd find or how I'd conquer it.

To say Two Worlds 2's singleplayer world is small is being extremely kind to it. The world is so small that it barely reaches early 2000 RPG standards and is about only half the size of Morrowind and about 1/10th the size of Oblivion. In today's crowded RPG marketplace it's not a good idea to be so "small".

You might have noticed I put an unusual amount of emphasis on the word "single player" in the previous two paragraphs. If you wondered why, it's due to the brunt of the game world being locked off and only made available to players engaging in the online-only "MMO" style campaign. This large online-only island, which you cannot even glitch your way into during the single player (much less sail to legally) is four times the size of the singleplayer world and plays host to a much more diverse and interesting landscape than what you'll encounter in the offline version of the game. In short, the entirety of the game is wrapped up in this blocked off island and only those with a lot of patience for lag and a fair amount of friends that live in their time zone will get to properly enjoy.

Further blemishing the game is its rather bland and unimaginative combat. While the monsters themselves can sometimes be challenging and therefore fun to do battle with, the vast majority of the game's battles can be won by "spamming" a few key moves while hitting the left mouse button during their cool-down time. Though it isn't as bad as Two Worlds 1 and its "Hit, dodge, hit, dodge" exploit that enabled even under-leveled characters to beat the last two bosses without getting hit, it is still a significant degree below what I consider standard for modern CRPGs. Granted, even most "modern" CRPGs like Fable and Oblivion fail at this but that doesn't give Two Worlds 2 permission to be shallow.
  5. Feb 27, 2011
    wo Worlds 2 published by Topware is an Action RPG, The game starts with your character being rescued from a dungeon by a band of Orcs and from here on in you embark upon your quest to save your sister from an evil being known as lord Gandohar. The back story and info on characters in quite in-depth and there's plenty of options to customise your characters appearance. When you startwo Worlds 2 published by Topware is an Action RPG, The game starts with your character being rescued from a dungeon by a band of Orcs and from here on in you embark upon your quest to save your sister from an evil being known as lord Gandohar. The back story and info on characters in quite in-depth and there's plenty of options to customise your characters appearance. When you start playing you'll be greeted with some impressive vista's that include detailed grass and tree's that span right into the distance..
    Once you get into some action you notice that your character is not class based unlike a few other RPG's, instead you apply skill points to your abilities such as mage, warrior, assassin, and ranger. Combine this with quick weapon and armour switching, and you'll be able to play as one of three classes at any one time. The weapons and armour selection is via a crafting system where all items are broken down into basic components such as a shield into wood, a helmet into leather and a sword into iron etc.. These components can then be used to upgrade your existing items and make them vastly more powerful. As with most RPG's you'll need to save you're progress often to avoid having to redo things if you get killed, so make sure you set the auto-save time to a fairly frequent time,
    If your character is mainly magic focused then there's another section of the crafting system that deals with spells. This spell system is based on cards that carry attributes. For instance, you may have a fire card, if you were to combine this with a projectile card you'll get a fireball, add in a ricochet card and you'll have a fireball that bounces between enemies. There's a whole range of different modifiers and base types for you to play with and experiment with so that you can create spells to suit your gaming style, added to the card system are modifiers based on elements such as earth, water, fire, air, life and death, these spells go into an amulet, and you can have three amulets active at any one time. If that's not enough customisation for you there's also an alchemy system, that you can top up by taking raw elements from corpses, these include wolf-claw and baboon tongue etc with which you can use to create potions. Youâ
  6. Mar 24, 2011
    It's Oblivion with PS2 graphics and sound. Seriously, I was having flashbacks to the Oblivion game I played for 100 of hours over four years ago. Weapons can be broken down and upgraded, you're not limited to any class for your skills but by the effort you put into practicing those skills, you need to find books to open up more and different skills. The mechanics on this game can be godIt's Oblivion with PS2 graphics and sound. Seriously, I was having flashbacks to the Oblivion game I played for 100 of hours over four years ago. Weapons can be broken down and upgraded, you're not limited to any class for your skills but by the effort you put into practicing those skills, you need to find books to open up more and different skills. The mechanics on this game can be god awful when your fighting multiple enemies with different weapons. The plotline is ambigous and the side quests seem trite. Overall, this game has all the elements of a classic RPG game but it's about seven years behind every other company that makes these games. This game is perfect to tide RPGers over until november when Skyrim comes out. Expand
  7. May 18, 2011
    This game has flaws. However, anyone who plays it and only sees the flaws is missing the game. This is an engaging, interesting, and fun game to play. Some of the game mechanics are wonderful most especially the crafting magic and alchemy systems that combines western & jrpg elements into a fusion that is both exiting to play with. The map is large and expansive and most of it can beThis game has flaws. However, anyone who plays it and only sees the flaws is missing the game. This is an engaging, interesting, and fun game to play. Some of the game mechanics are wonderful most especially the crafting magic and alchemy systems that combines western & jrpg elements into a fusion that is both exiting to play with. The map is large and expansive and most of it can be roamed, swam, and climbed at will. What is bad? The controls and camera need tweaking if not drastically improved. The menu system is complex at first and I honestly think some attributes and skills need to be compressed and simplified. In my opinion, the story was not engaging at the start, and the animations and voice acting can be at times distracting because it stutters.

I am giving it a 7 overall, but I think parts of it deserve an 8. If someone is a western RPG fan, they should pick up this game.
  8. May 9, 2011
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Like Napoleon Dynamite, Two Worlds II is a somewhat awkward conversationalist, and not quite the ninja warrior it dreams of being, but it grows on you after spending time with it, despite it's quirks.

The game simultaneously shines and blunders...graphics are good enough, but tend to pop in, the open-ended manner of tailoring your character, and ability to switch on the fly between sets is fantastic, but the combat itself is rather clunky and the controls aren't as smooth as they could be, voice acting is serviceable for the most part, but dips into the absurd occasionaly; the crafting, alchemy and spell creation systems are deep and rich, but not explained terribly well.

These small bumps in the road permeate nearly every aspect of the game..(even the manual, amusingly had the odd German word in it that got missed here and there.)

Still, one senses the great game trying desperately to burst forth..the world is large, the art style is more unique than your standard fantasy-fare, there is a lot of side activities to do, and for every "fetch and kill" quest, there is an original one.
    There are good many hours to be spent here, which is appreciated in an age when games are getting shorter and shorter, and release day DLC is becoming common.

If the developers can fix the major flaw, and bring the combat up to the level of a Demon's Souls, (or even a Fable 3), and polish up all the minor hiccups the game is festooned with, then a potential sequel could easily contend with the RPG big boys. This game however, is a 7.5/10...it's endearing in it's way, but the flaws can't be ignored.
  9. Aug 2, 2011
    If you're into open-world games and character customisation then I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give Two Worlds II a try, just don't expect it to be another Oblivion or Fallout game. During my 30+ hours of gameplay (excluding some sidequests and multiplayer) I must say this game is far from perfect but I did in some way enjoyed the ride. And it's the little things along the way that willIf you're into open-world games and character customisation then I suppose it wouldn't hurt to give Two Worlds II a try, just don't expect it to be another Oblivion or Fallout game. During my 30+ hours of gameplay (excluding some sidequests and multiplayer) I must say this game is far from perfect but I did in some way enjoyed the ride. And it's the little things along the way that will make you want to play it and get through the awfully weak plot. So let's begin with the good.
    1) Character appearance / customisation - You get to change your character appearance (which is a big plus for me). And like any other RPGs, your character's stats and specialisation.
    2) Graphics - For an RPG the graphics are not bad in this game. The landscape , the vibrant cities, water are all beautiful. Besides the poor NPCs textures, I'd say Two Worls II's graphics is way better than RPGs like Dragon Age II and Alpha Protocol.
    3) Range of amour and wepon sets - And they actually look good. Pike, spear, twin axes, katana, u name it.
    4) Music - the music is epic. There's even a mini game that allows you to play instruments.
    5) Funny dialogue - Though many conversations can be very boring, some are somewhat hilarious. 6) Open-world with lots to do. Visit cities, gambling, sailing, horse-racing, stealling, crafting, arena matches, tons of guilds and sidequests etcs. 7) Multiplayer - You have adventure mode, capture crystals, village mode (build your own village) among others.

But as I said, the game isn't perfect. And for me, what bothered me most were:
    1) The main character - I dislike his stereotypical voice (he sounds like the guy in InFamous), and he is always talking.... when you encounter an enemy, when looting, when entering a cave, when defeating an enemy..... Please... just stay quiet, will ya!!
    2) The plot - it is very weak. I wasn't that interested in the story and couldn't care less about danger of your character is facing.
    3) Characters (NPCs) - Forgettable. None of them truly stood out. Just dull and boring. What's worst, you can't attack or kill them if you don't like them. The animation is very poor. Some of them are not even looking at you when you speak to them. And all they do is stand still and wave their arms up and down. I can't feel their sorrow or any other emotions that theyre feeling.
    4) Horseriding is poor and pointless. The controls are bad and you can pretty much teleport anywhere using your teleporter.
    5) Too many bugs. Pretty frustrating amount. Hopefully this will be addressed through a patch soon.

Anyway, there you have it, my take on the main good and bads of Two Worlds II. My problems with this game is few and far between, and I did kinda enjoy the game while it lasted. That said, I am eager to see what Two Worlds III has to offer when it releases next year!!
  10. Dec 19, 2013
    The graphics are bad, the camera is not very good and the controls and gameplay aren't very good either. There are also a lot of technical glitches. Then why a 6? Because the world does have it's charm and something inexplicable always made me come back to Two Worlds II
  11. Jun 6, 2013
    Two Worlds II has one of the best fantasy game settings that i've ever seen! but that being said it's really hard to enjoy when it has so many glitches and technical problems. Given a while longer in development, there's no telling how good this game could have been.
  12. Apr 20, 2015
    Oh boy where do i start this one... how about with this. I NEVER WANTED THIS GAME! Friend comes over leaves it at my house and so I tell him "Hey you left your Two Worlds II game at my place." He says "Keep it i don't like it that much." I didn't have a PS3 at the time so this game has been sitting in my collection waiting to strike. Then last year a guy in the neighborhood was selling hisOh boy where do i start this one... how about with this. I NEVER WANTED THIS GAME! Friend comes over leaves it at my house and so I tell him "Hey you left your Two Worlds II game at my place." He says "Keep it i don't like it that much." I didn't have a PS3 at the time so this game has been sitting in my collection waiting to strike. Then last year a guy in the neighborhood was selling his Super Slim for practically food scraps. So I bought it and I thought "Wait I don't have any games" and seconds later my shelf with my 360/Dreamcast games broke and it all fell over and found this game on the remains of my top shelf... so I played it and now here comes the worst part.
    The dialog is **** awful. the writing is decent but the voice actors are just. God!
    The game play is weird to say the least. The guy has some weird foot work while using a sword and it is just awkward to watch sometimes, but when I switched to a mage class. HOLY **** being a mage is just so much fun in this game and Fun is what a game is about.
    IF you can find this game for anything less the $25 it is a game you wont regret buying. Unless of course the other option was MGS 4. The game that after i played this game for 2 hours I went to GameStop to get.

1. Playstation Official Magazine UK
    Mar 24, 2011
    There's not enough room here to say how much I hate this game. I could write a novel about why Two Worlds II is the worst thing to happen to the fantasy RPG genre since encumbrance systems. [Apr 2011, p.114]
  2. Play UK
    Mar 21, 2011
    A bit of a technical mess. [Issue#203, p.86]
  3. Mar 7, 2011
    Is Two Worlds II better than the original? Sure, but there's still a lot of room for improvement.