UFC Undisputed 2009 PlayStation 3

8.2

1. JonP
    Jun 4, 2009
    Unfortunately, I agree with IGN, for the most part. They had a lot of time to make this game and make it perfect. And it's so far from perfect it's not even funny. The biggest overthought is that your character does not age. That is just downright silly. The game itself got old pretty fast after I ended up being able to dominate (though subbing people is still almost Unfortunately, I agree with IGN, for the most part. They had a lot of time to make this game and make it perfect. And it's so far from perfect it's not even funny. The biggest overthought is that your character does not age. That is just downright silly. The game itself got old pretty fast after I ended up being able to dominate (though subbing people is still almost impossible). Either way, it's worth a rent to play for a week or so. After that week, you'll be done. Expand
  2. BobB
    May 19, 2009
    Grapples are impossible to use and transitions are too difficult. Tutorial is not nearly adequate, leaving you floundering with convoluted controls long after you struggle with the tutorial for an hour. I've been playing games for all of my life both casual and hardcore, and I've never had so much trouble playing a game. I played on beginner and was not able to accomplish Grapples are impossible to use and transitions are too difficult. Tutorial is not nearly adequate, leaving you floundering with convoluted controls long after you struggle with the tutorial for an hour. I've been playing games for all of my life both casual and hardcore, and I've never had so much trouble playing a game. I played on beginner and was not able to accomplish anything after a few rounds into career mode. Match turnouts feel scripted and instant KOs are cheap and unsatisfying. Visuals are merely average. Not recommended. Frat boys who would like to disagree with me due to their awesome skills would best be served by running into oncoming traffic to show the world how hardcore their entrails are. Collapse
  3. codyB
    May 20, 2009
    If I could give this game a 20 I would. I admit I was hesitant to buy it after the demo. The demo was so so, but now that I have had a chance to play online and the career mode, I must say that it has been a loooong time since a game this deep has hooked me so fast.
  4. rudolpht
    May 20, 2009
    This game is the realist and most complete fighting game that has hit the stores. most people that play this game says it is to hard to do a submission, in real mma it is hard to pull off a submission. this is the realist fighting game made.
  5. aaronl
    Jun 3, 2009
    Good game, unfortunately the single player career mode gets boring very quickly... and the computer's very easy to beat. and once you reach being the champion...training seems almost useless as no one will be able to defeat you...to a point where i would just skip the 13 weeks of supposedly training time just to fight the next bout... but rest of the game however is amazing, the Good game, unfortunately the single player career mode gets boring very quickly... and the computer's very easy to beat. and once you reach being the champion...training seems almost useless as no one will be able to defeat you...to a point where i would just skip the 13 weeks of supposedly training time just to fight the next bout... but rest of the game however is amazing, the depth of the combat is not anything i've ever seen in any games. and there is no stupid health bars, if you are skilled/lucky enough, you can get a first strike ko (and i have done that...first punch thrown was a ko one). Expand
  6. RobertJ
    Aug 27, 2009
    Good game that is alot of fun playing with friends.The Game looks absolutely awesome, great graphics and the animations are extremely good, you never see a bodypart go through your opponent like you do in alot of games (WWE SD vs Raw for example). Over 80 fighters to choose from is really awesome allthough I miss Clay Guida And Randy Couture. The worst thing about the game i by far the Good game that is alot of fun playing with friends.The Game looks absolutely awesome, great graphics and the animations are extremely good, you never see a bodypart go through your opponent like you do in alot of games (WWE SD vs Raw for example). Over 80 fighters to choose from is really awesome allthough I miss Clay Guida And Randy Couture. The worst thing about the game i by far the horrible choice of music, good thing can turn that off though. Other then that theres just some minor things that annoy. I'm a bit dissapointed with the ground game. when you hold back on the right analog stick you block your opponent when he tries to pass from sidecontrol to mount for example. And when you do that your character holds his arms wide open instead of holding on to your opponent. Looks extremly wierd and makes no sence. I would also like to see different types of mount(like a really high mount when you sit on the chest). When yo mount now it's pretty mutch like this, you hit one punch and your opponent tries to roll out, but you block the transition, you hit one punch and your opponent tries to roll out, but you block the transition, and the same thing over and over again. It just takes away alot of the feel of you beeing in a real match cuz I personally have never seen that in a real MMA-fight. The Career mode is okay not more, you create a fighter and fight about 40 - 50 fights and then retire, And its pretty stupid that your ceated fighter does'nt age. Soo your fighter is for example 18y and goes 40+ fights in the ufc and retires at the age of 18. Another thing that tha wold be nice would be create your own Event and after a match in Exhibition Mode it would be nice to be able to choose another figter instead of just Rematch and Quit(wich takes you back to the star meny and you have to choose sides everything again) But well no game is perfect and other then some minor thing here and there THQ has done a awesome job, after all it's their first try to make a MMA game on a next gen console. Buy it if your a MMA fan! Expand
  7. DavidG
    Impressive! It
  8. JohnDoe
    May 29, 2009
    First, let me say that I am a fan of the MMA. Not crazy hardcore but still enjoy the kick ass of the sport. Now to the game, visually the game is excellent. The depth of the game is solid but still has room for improvement. The fighter selection is pretty good. The only visual thing I didn't like was the Refs heads seem to be the size of a melon. Controls: Here is one of the new First, let me say that I am a fan of the MMA. Not crazy hardcore but still enjoy the kick ass of the sport. Now to the game, visually the game is excellent. The depth of the game is solid but still has room for improvement. The fighter selection is pretty good. The only visual thing I didn't like was the Refs heads seem to be the size of a melon. Controls: Here is one of the new formats that all PS3 gamers will need to become accustomed to. The great equalizer is that damn right joystick. A lot of moves and actions in the game utilize the joystick so be prepared to relearn the controls. The moves that request a joystick are a pain but with a little practice grappling becomes easier. Start with the tutorial and start slow run, after do the practice to get a feel for the game before you start career. Music/sound: One word says it best. Redundant, overall the music is entertaining however it repeats way too much. Use your ipod 8-) Cons: The only issue I have is the grappling. It Expand
  9. joeb
    May 22, 2009
    So many people claim the ground game doesn't make sense. The ground game is incredibly easy, but you need to take the time to learn the 3 disiplines and how to counter. Most reviews sound like they were written in a day, you need to spend at least 20 hours with the game to be good online. After that though, the game is incredible and fun.
  10. RafaelD
    May 22, 2009
    For any UFC fan this is a must have , but overrall is good fighting game. nice controls , graphics and nice moves from more than 80 fighters.
  11. Nov 11, 2011
    I highly enjoyed this game. The knockouts in this game made me want to keep playing it. The graphics were very good. My favorite part was the replays of the knockouts. Whether it was a kick to the face or the chest. The controls were a bit hard to figure out but eventually when I did the game became alot easier to play
  12. Nov 17, 2012
    The game has incredible graphics and sound polished to a high sheen. The controls while confusing work great, and the structure to gameplay is good. You can also play against bots and real people
  13. Jun 23, 2016
    A game that didn't really hook me in once I started. I remember the controls being unnecessarily convoluted and intricate to perform basic tasks, such as grappling, performing a submission or transitioning to different positions. Tutorials didn't do much for me in those functions. The gameplay was generally alright, would have been better if I wasn't forced to be so one-dimensional to pickA game that didn't really hook me in once I started. I remember the controls being unnecessarily convoluted and intricate to perform basic tasks, such as grappling, performing a submission or transitioning to different positions. Tutorials didn't do much for me in those functions. The gameplay was generally alright, would have been better if I wasn't forced to be so one-dimensional to pick my open apart by using my fists. Had to keep pausing to check the controls for the crazy amount of combinations there were to transition in different positions to save myself from losing - unsurprisingly I did lose a lot against fighters that specialised in grappling and submissions. The commentary was very good though, but that isn't really the reason why I buy games like this.

Career Mode was very linear and repetitive, but it was engaging at times. Music was quite good, pretty appropriate to the game.

Overall, a forgettable game. Nothing remotely great in the slightest, but nothing absolutely awful about the game. I did enjoy it from time to time.
  14. Apr 13, 2016
    In Ufc it is made of many ultimate fighters that aren’t your ordinary fighters that you would find of the street. These guys are fighters that are very skilled in all around mma, sharp on the ground and deadly on their feet. And when you get step into the octagon and that cage closes the referee, officials and the millions people around the world don’t want to see that you are not a realIn Ufc it is made of many ultimate fighters that aren’t your ordinary fighters that you would find of the street. These guys are fighters that are very skilled in all around mma, sharp on the ground and deadly on their feet. And when you get step into the octagon and that cage closes the referee, officials and the millions people around the world don’t want to see that you are not a real fighter. What they want to see is a good fight that they have paid to watch.

Ufc has grown so huge that it has surpassed all fighting sports such as Boxing, and wrestling and many more. It has been said that ufc was invented when context sports decided they needed way more than what they had considering people have become less and interested in boxing and olympic wrestling. Not only that but there were mma fighters that were so good to the other fighters just couldn’t keep up with their all around fighting such as their striking their grappling and their own special asset that they had. Like for instance current ufc heavyweight champion fabricio werdum is a world class brazilian ju jitsu champion and a lot of the other heavyweights just can’t keep up with it. And it makes sense because they try to avoid the ground as much as possible when an opponent fights him.

In general some fighters in the ufc are just really hard workers and have dedicated their whole lives to be in the position that they are to this in the ufc. They are all ultimate fighting champions and they all deserve to be there considering they all work hard. However the one who works the hardest deserves to be the champion in their division. Personally I have a lot of respect for Fabricio werdum but I just don’t think that he should be champion right now. As a matter a fact when it comes to working the hardest I don’t think that he’s number one on that list.

To this day in my opinion ufc should have a lot more sponsors than they already do considering it is so popular and the most popular context sport there is. And the most popular ones should be getting paid based on worldwide popularity and the kind of training they do and their fighting performances. For instance one of the all time fan favorites Anderson silva should’ve been sponsored for everything that he ever did when he was in the ufc before he had to retire. And when he retired he should’ve been paid the most.
    It amazes me how hyped of people get when two competitors are about to fight. For example, when they go to the press conference and the weigh in’s and interview’s that just excites the fans when they trash talk, call each other names, get in each other’s faces that kind of thing. That right there makes a bunch of people tune in to watch the fight and get plane tickets just to where the fight is and watch it live.

UFC 2009 Undisputed does have a couple of issues that keep it from being a MMA-fan's dream come true but it is still a tremendous title that will make any fan of the sport proud.
  2. Game Informer
    The game's wealth of combos and grapples are made even more impressive by Undisputed's nearly flawless collision detection and animation. [June 2009, p.83]
  3. Games Master UK
    A rock-solid simulation and recreation of the real thing. Perhaps a little too real out of the ring. [June 2009, p.64]