8.3

1. Nov 5, 2011
    A wild ride, but that's all it is, a ride. Cut scenes interrupt gameplay so frequently that they would have been better off making this a movie, especially as the gameplay isn't much to write home about. The new melee systems' only purpose seems to be to get you shot as you flail away, counter and break holds for what seems like an eternity (at least the old system was quick). The gun playA wild ride, but that's all it is, a ride. Cut scenes interrupt gameplay so frequently that they would have been better off making this a movie, especially as the gameplay isn't much to write home about. The new melee systems' only purpose seems to be to get you shot as you flail away, counter and break holds for what seems like an eternity (at least the old system was quick). The gun play feels the same as it ever did, only enemies seem to have developed an immunity to bullets, showing little to no reaction when hit, and that's not counting the all to frequent 'heavies' that have literally been designed as bullet sinks.

The story starts off well enough, but quickly devolves into the usual race to the lost city, and while there is an attempt to add drama and feeling part way through all that is lost the second Drake picks up a new gun and begins gunning down bad guys and making impossible jumps as if it was just another day at the office. Levels are as linear as ever, which wouldn't be such a bad thing, but you move between locations so frequently that despite the sprawling vistas most levels can't help but feel small and forgettable. Puzzles are also as simple as ever, but unlike in Among Thieves they are at least mercifully quick to solve.

I didn't play the multiplayer (couldn't be bothered putting in the PSN Pass code), but the single player lasted just over 8 hours on hard for a first run, after which I decided to play Drakes Fortune again to see if my memories of it where only rose colored or if they where actually real; they are real. As a big fan of Uncharted: Drakes Fortune I couldn't help but be disappointed with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves, and while I feel that Uncharted 3: Drake Deception is better overall than 2, it is also in some ways worse (melee system) and doesn't hold a candle to the original.
  2. Nov 3, 2011
    Let's get this out of the way first: Graphically UC3 is not what I was expecting. Look closely and you can see that draw distances are actually poor and detail diminishes quickly with distance. The colours are too saturated and, in some cases, I believe this is what leads to the feeling of having stunning graphics. NPCs are really poorly detailed and would be more at home in SIMS 3. OnceLet's get this out of the way first: Graphically UC3 is not what I was expecting. Look closely and you can see that draw distances are actually poor and detail diminishes quickly with distance. The colours are too saturated and, in some cases, I believe this is what leads to the feeling of having stunning graphics. NPCs are really poorly detailed and would be more at home in SIMS 3. Once Drake is standing next to an NPC the difference in the amount of detail between the two really hits home. In narrow areas, and while climbing, the camera struggles to find a suitable angle leading to some awkward up close shots of Drake. Combat is very stiff and similar to that of the previous two iterations, with nothing new at all here. The story itself is heavily cliched and probably the most linear game I've ever played: In some cases, once you've passed a certain point, it's not even possible to go back, so make sure you have all the collectibles before you take your next step. I finished the single campaign in one night with the game set to hard. I'll start again tonight on crushing. Multiplayer's not possible tonight as PSN is down - can you imagine if that had happened on the day after launch of Gears? Anyway, I don't believe this game's here for the multiplayer - there are only two trophies for this. All in all a purely predictable game with graphics that are good but don't aim for realism. Apart from the new (but again, predictable) environments this is Uncharted 2.5 in all but name and not worth the price tag, especially for the collectors edition. Expand
  3. Nov 6, 2011
    I wish I could give this game multiple scores. Why? This game is easily a 10 if your not shooting. The shooting mechanics might have been tolerable in past games, but it's simply bad now. The AI is bad in the shooting situations, both enemy and friendly. The aim assist and sensitivity sucks no matter what your settings. This all makes me very sad because of how good everything else is. TheI wish I could give this game multiple scores. Why? This game is easily a 10 if your not shooting. The shooting mechanics might have been tolerable in past games, but it's simply bad now. The AI is bad in the shooting situations, both enemy and friendly. The aim assist and sensitivity sucks no matter what your settings. This all makes me very sad because of how good everything else is. The graphics, the story, interaction amongst characters during play, puzzles, and graphics. Heck even the melee combat is decent and it'd probably seem better if Batman wasn't so fresh in my mind. But I simply can't get around the fact that a big portion of this game is shooting. Even if you successfully manage to stealth your way through some of the areas there's still plenty of it and its too unbearably bad and frustrating. Expand
  4. Nov 10, 2013
    Although the games are not that bad, i think i never gonna be a Uncharted Fan. The Presentation is top, graphics and design are beyond any doubt and the shootings are not that bad either. But there are too long and there are too many in a row, the controls are vague, the story is boring and the gameplay is repetitive. Either you are shooting or climbing.

Blinder
  5. Nov 24, 2013
    Greater game then the average joe, In my opinion this game was better then the 2 one. Puzzles are very hard for me so you will see I rarely play these kind of games but if i'm bored and need something i'm always in for a deep puzzler. Perfect for hardcore gamers.

Maki
  6. Jun 4, 2016
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Played this as part of the nathan drake collection. While it satisfied my appetite for more of nathan drakes adventures, it certainly had its fair share of misgivings.

You can expect to get a taste of all what is good about an uncharted game in this episode, the charming antics of mr. Drake, fun enough gun play, treasure hunting, satisfying climbs, interesting enough story. It did add some new weapons and features to the uncharted series such as ability to throw back gernades.

However, from the 3 games in the collection this one was my least favorite. Story got really slow in a few places, and the ending was underwhelming and rather abrupt. Some of the chapters were uninspiring; caravan chapter was a copy paste from a chapter in uncharted 2, so was the chapter were u have to board a plane while its about to take off. its the same as UC2 chapter were you have to catch a train leaving the station. and the ship graveyard chapter was horrible.

Finally, after getting used to the amazing set pieces in uncharted 2, it was a let down to see this next installment fall short of expectations. Puzzles for the most part were much easier and paled in comparison to some of the wonderful puzzle designs in UC2. The action set pieces were brief and not as 'exhilirating' as the previous installement. Small note, music was not as good either.

I know it may be unfair to compare it to UC2, but as this is a sequel it should be even better.
  7. Dec 6, 2011
    I liked this game. I loved Uncharted 2 & 3. As much as I like this Uncharted 3, it's starting to feel a little too much the same. Every uncharted game has nearly the same sequence ie; You are traveling to a place. The bad guys show up to claim the prize before you do. OR the bad guys show up as you claim the prize and try to take it from you. These happen over and over and overI liked this game. I loved Uncharted 2 & 3. As much as I like this Uncharted 3, it's starting to feel a little too much the same. Every uncharted game has nearly the same sequence ie; You are traveling to a place. The bad guys show up to claim the prize before you do. OR the bad guys show up as you claim the prize and try to take it from you. These happen over and over and over and over again just the same as they have in 1 & 2 and it is starting to become tiresome. Graphics are great and game play is still fun. Expand
  8. Dec 3, 2011
    No, this is not the greatest game ever made. No, this is not the best Uncharted ever made. It is a fabulous game, with lots of production values, great story, gameplay and a cast of characters we've learned to love. But, in my honest opinion, Naughty Dog has not improved with Uncharted 3. For me, Uncharted 2 started with a much more of a bang, which made it IMPOSSIBLE to put it down. INo, this is not the greatest game ever made. No, this is not the best Uncharted ever made. It is a fabulous game, with lots of production values, great story, gameplay and a cast of characters we've learned to love. But, in my honest opinion, Naughty Dog has not improved with Uncharted 3. For me, Uncharted 2 started with a much more of a bang, which made it IMPOSSIBLE to put it down. I feel like U3 walks under the shadow of U2 with occasional moments of brilliance. Sometimes it's pure genius. Other times it looks lazy and uninspired. What's with the clone-thugs? It's impossible to be indifferent to 100 guys in a black suit and red tie (with almost the same faces). The game is beautiful, yes, and plays beautifuly too. But... they stepped so much further between U1 and U2 that's impossible to ignore that U3 doesn't look as inspired. It's like they started running out of ideas, I don't know. This is a great game, but it feels sub-par for the Uncharted franchise. Great, indeed, but not the greatest game, nor the best Uncharted. U2 remains the best thriller so far. Expand
  9. Nov 28, 2011
    When I first put in this game I was swept away by the wonderful lore of the Uncharted series and the tonnes of adventure and danger and edge-of-your-seat action that it promised. So imagine my dismay when I discovered that this was actually a hastily made and half-baked follow up to the genius of "Among Thieves". It is a terribly un-even game - while some chapters are the sensationalWhen I first put in this game I was swept away by the wonderful lore of the Uncharted series and the tonnes of adventure and danger and edge-of-your-seat action that it promised. So imagine my dismay when I discovered that this was actually a hastily made and half-baked follow up to the genius of "Among Thieves". It is a terribly un-even game - while some chapters are the sensational action-riddled romps we've come to expect from Nathan Drake, others just plain fall flat. Sadly, most of the brilliance of this game is over before you know it, while the not-so-brilliant moments seem to drag on and on.
    I am scoring this a 7 because of my love for this franchise, and not because of my love for this particular installment. As a body of work, the Uncharted series is excellent, but "Drake's Deception" does not measure up against the bar that Naughty Dog themselves had already set so high.
  10. Nov 7, 2011
    This game features one of the most amazing stories and the most interesting characters ever. It has gorgeous vistas, intense new interactive sections, loads of new creative ways of moving through brilliant and never-before featured locations.
    But it also has really tiresome fistfights, problematic gun play and annoying sudden death moments that make you long for a "skip this scene" button, just to get back to the brilliant story. You will find yourself remembering the fun in Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and wonder why it doesn't really work this time.
  11. Nov 6, 2011
    First off, to justify my review, you should know I have achieved Platinum on Uncharted 1 and 2, so I feel I have some insight to the franchise and what I expected of this chapter. I will start by saying it is as fun as the other two, with amazing, lush environments, great cut scenes and a nice finale for our characters. The formula is identical to the first two games of the trilogy;First off, to justify my review, you should know I have achieved Platinum on Uncharted 1 and 2, so I feel I have some insight to the franchise and what I expected of this chapter. I will start by saying it is as fun as the other two, with amazing, lush environments, great cut scenes and a nice finale for our characters. The formula is identical to the first two games of the trilogy; you run around, shoot bad guys and find treasures and solve a few puzzles. That being said, I expected a little more than what we got from this outing. It seems toward the end the plot kind of trickled to a hurry up finale. I will try not to spoil the plot itself, but I still had a lot of unanswered questions in the end. I know I am critiquing the story a bit, but a great game usually has a great storyline, so if it fails a bit, so to does the game. I just felt like it was more of the same we have already encountered. Naughty Dog did not really stray too far from the formula of the previous installments. As I write this I am still trying to think what bothered me about it the most. It just seemed to introduce new characters without any kind of a back story. I mean, we know the bad guy is bad, and the bad leader was connected to our hero's past, but I found myself not caring as much about it as I did with the other games of the series. There were lots of lose ends at the finale, and I kept asking, well who was she? Who was he? Why did they end here? Where did that ring come from? Graphically is is probably the best you can find on the PS3 console at the moment, but the replay values is limited, and the multi-player is a bit generic. Too often lately I feel that developers of current games force a timeline and do not quite make the end of the game live up to expectations. So to summarize - fun game, beautiful graphics, nice cinematics. But at the conclusion I was like, that was it? It left me wanting more, but I knew that this story was probably concluded and left a lot unanswered for characters we've followed over the years. Expand
  12. Nov 21, 2011
    This game a disappointment to me, even though on first sight, it pretty much is nothing than a copy of Uncharted 2, which I loved and still play now and then, with new textures and I'm not one to complain when a sequel is too similar to the prequel as long as it's still well done, so why do I not like this game so much? The graphics are, again, extremely beautiful and you are presentedThis game a disappointment to me, even though on first sight, it pretty much is nothing than a copy of Uncharted 2, which I loved and still play now and then, with new textures and I'm not one to complain when a sequel is too similar to the prequel as long as it's still well done, so why do I not like this game so much? The graphics are, again, extremely beautiful and you are presented with a lot of "hold your breath" action scenes, but something's missing. I never dropped my jaw like I did so often in Uncharted 2. The story this time was weak. The developers mentioned somewhere they first thought of locations they wanted to implement and then they wrote the plot around these and it shows. The game is basically being saved by the likeable characters and their banter. Conflicts are being introduced only to be resolved and/or dropped a few moments later. The question of who to trust is being raised several times and could've been used very well to raise some tension, but then the issue is solved soon in a cutscene (sometimes even the very same one it arose in) and off they go to new adventures. The same could be said about the "supernatural" touch towards the end, albeit as always scientifically explainable? This time, it happens at the very ending and is nothing but a very, very short "intermission" that is over after a few shootouts and cutscenes when the idea itself would've been interesting enough to make it a much, much bigger and complex part of the story. Actually, the whole "endgame" lacks. When you find the place the search for which has been the whole point of the game, that section is over before you know it, no sense of mystery or exploring the place at all. The amount of luck and unlikely survival this time borders on silliness, it's really way too exaggerated and in some cases, laughable. It has been part of the series, sure, but it's overdone here, especially the inconsistency of how deep a man can fall and still go unharmed. The ridiculously linear and narrow nature of the levels is another issue. The Uncharted games were never sandboxy, but this time, they overdid it as for like 95% of the game, you'll feel like you're just following a tight corridor, even when the environment is supposedly vast. Platforming is more straightforward than ever and requires no thinking or observing of the surroundings, just a matchbox length short of being a Quick Time Event game. I absolutely hated the shooting sections this time. They're either ridiculously easy or unfairly hard, or rather, annoying. Whenever enemies showed up, I was rolling my eyes and I really disliked all the parts where they basically dropped you in a narrow arena with little to no way of moving around or taking cover, then send enemy wave after enemy wave at you, including heavy armored dudes that take a lot of damage and guys with "(almost and really)one-shot-kill-guns". And what's up with all the snipers, I swear it feels like they are in every battle this time, so you'll frantically try to run from cover to cover while fending of criminals and agents, but it's not always clear where you'll actually be save and a lot of these battles become pure trial&error to find the perfect route that leads you to the grenade launcher. Stealth sections are annoying this time as well, basically because the whole stealth system isn't all that deep but is used too deeply, different from U2, where it was just a nice change of pace now and then. Clairvoyant soldiers who all will know exactly where you are and come storming towards you as soon as ONE guy notices you somewhere on the map are annoying enough in the shooting sections, but become a pain when you, just for the sake of variety, want to get through a section silently and one mistake, be it yours or the game's, forces you to either restart all over or give up on sneaking and shoot your way out for the rest of it. One thing that is new and I really liked was the little QTE that would allow you to throw back grenades, but unfortunately, Nathan Drake will throw them against the wall he is taking cover behind more often than is forgivable. Other control issues arise with several actions being on the same button and the game failing to realize what you meant. A game like this also has puzzles, but as it proceeds, they become less and less until they're gone completely. I also understand this is an action game, but do the puzzles that it does have really have to be easy to the point where you simply open the journal to be given the solutions? I doubt gamers are that dumb. There's exactly ONE puzzle that requires a little bit of observing I also hate how the characters will keep telling you where to go and what to do (as if there were any other options) all the time. Overall, it's still a very entertaining experience and the chase sequences ar awesome, but as a game, it feels poorly done and the story never uses its potential. 7/10 Expand
  13. Dec 3, 2011
    The gameplay is broken, save for the melee fighting (which even then is impractical half the time). The set pieces are inconsistent with some being unremarkable or frustrating and others being balls-growingly awesome. The story starts things that it can't end and ends things it never started as if half of the campaign was cut off at the last minute because they couldn't fit it on theThe gameplay is broken, save for the melee fighting (which even then is impractical half the time). The set pieces are inconsistent with some being unremarkable or frustrating and others being balls-growingly awesome. The story starts things that it can't end and ends things it never started as if half of the campaign was cut off at the last minute because they couldn't fit it on the blu-ray disc, what with the orgasmic visuals and all. Expand
  14. Nov 30, 2011
    Hmm. Didn't really like this game that much. Had a terrible story and there was not much impressive scenery. There are some improvements in the combat and a few new guns that weren't in Uncharted 2, but not much else different. Puzzles are frustrating. Still a reasonable game, however Uncharted 2 was better.
  15. Nov 28, 2011
    Uncharted 3 had some adventurous fun and I recommend for a rental over the weekend but there is not a lot of depth to the game play, story or campaign to recommend as a purchase. The story is predictably cut and paste from The last crusade, there's some charm and is descent enough to watch, however there isn't much character development and is kinda forgettable and lacks surprises. TheUncharted 3 had some adventurous fun and I recommend for a rental over the weekend but there is not a lot of depth to the game play, story or campaign to recommend as a purchase. The story is predictably cut and paste from The last crusade, there's some charm and is descent enough to watch, however there isn't much character development and is kinda forgettable and lacks surprises. The environment graphics look very nice, the character models do the job at a distance but look strange and jarring at close range in the cut scenes - the character eyes look weird. Uncharted 3 was ok Expand
  16. Mar 13, 2012
    As an Uncharted series fan i found myself really disapointed by the end of this game. Technically this is an almost perfect game, the graphics are gorgeous and the gameplay is great, but the story sucks and the ending seems rushed. The final boss was the worst...
    It seems that Uncharted 3 wasn't only Drake's Deception...
  17. Nov 23, 2011
    I have played all 3 installments of the series and UC2 is by far the best.

UC3 dissapointed me in many ways: Too many cutscenes, puzzles gives you hints after a couple of minutes making them easy to solve, animation is bad and controls are not responsive.

Is more like watching a movie rather than playing a game.

On the plus side are the graphics and the story.
  18. Jan 27, 2012
    Very disappointed with this interactive movie! Naughty Dog seems to have concentrated on the visuals at the expense of game play. Sure, there are amazing effects (especially on the ship and in the desert sands), but the "player" is reduced to a spectator for most of this shortish adventure. When not waiting for cut scenes to finish, you're either in shoot-outs with mechanics identical toVery disappointed with this interactive movie! Naughty Dog seems to have concentrated on the visuals at the expense of game play. Sure, there are amazing effects (especially on the ship and in the desert sands), but the "player" is reduced to a spectator for most of this shortish adventure. When not waiting for cut scenes to finish, you're either in shoot-outs with mechanics identical to last game (i.e. dated compared to recent games) or stuck in a rigid sequence to solve not very taxing puzzles, with annoying and largely useless hints popping up. Then there are the times when you have to run for it, with the camera facing you and the dumb AI, not to mention the very end, where 1 simple shot finishes the game (at least the finish of the last game was pretty taxing as I recall). On the plus side, the voice acting and the music are superb, but having just finished Crysis 2 and Deus Ex before tackling this, I was very disappointed in comparison. I honestly don't know how it got so many high review scores. Expand
  19. Jun 3, 2012
    The first two Uncharted games were top notch. I'm sorry to say that the third one didn't live up to my expectations. Like all Uncharted games, the set pieces and graphics are amazing. Usually Naughty Dog has a great story line to accompany it. Sadly, the story in Uncharted 3 lacks the excitement of the other two. It starts off great, but bad story elements drag it down slowly andThe first two Uncharted games were top notch. I'm sorry to say that the third one didn't live up to my expectations. Like all Uncharted games, the set pieces and graphics are amazing. Usually Naughty Dog has a great story line to accompany it. Sadly, the story in Uncharted 3 lacks the excitement of the other two. It starts off great, but bad story elements drag it down slowly and painfully. I was confused not half way through the game by some of the occurrences. The ending is also not very good and neither is the boss fight. This game is definitely worth picking up, but it's not the best one in the series. Expand
  20. Apr 9, 2012
    This review contains spoilers, click expand to view. Massively disappointing... While the two first games in the series were great, this falls flat on its illogical design, uninspired challenges and underdeveloped plot full of holes... While the graphics are generally great, the sound and acting also, not much praise can be given to the rest of the design. The game introduces some new characters for this third round, and Cutter is great, yet disappears from the game completely around mid-ways through - in spite of uttering a desire to see this through - they could at least have included him somewhere in the ending sequence. The desert nomads should also definitely have been fleshed out a lot more! Couple this lacklustre inclusion of the new good guys with some really wasted potential of the bad guys - unlike the previous games, the motivation of the bad guys is so shrouded in an attempt at mysticism you have to wonder if the developers knew themselves. They are hunting for a source of hallucinogenic water contamination, caused by imprisoned Djinn in a desert city (which is incorrectly pronounced - the d should not be clearly audible), yet seem to have access to the very same substance to use in a dart delivery system - while the plot clearly states they have yet to find the city where this contamination is found. Without giving away too much, to say your final battle against your two main adversaries is anticlimactic is the understatement of the year. I am aware a game like this require some degree of suspension of disbelief, yet there are so many glaring examples of "no way would they act like that!"-moments, such as when a whole city is crumbling, ceiling caving in and a giant sand pit is swallowing everything, why would a group of soldiers, who we don't know whether are mercenaries, fanatics or whatever, stay to shoot at us, their bosses already dead or gone, their mission a complete bust and nothing to gain by killing Drake, yet everything to gain by running away? Why would pirates place platoons to guard a derelict ship in a ship graveyard that they use as "torture chamber" or so, when the only discernible way into or out of the area is to scale walls like only Nate is crazy enough to attempt?

Yet another prime example of lousy game design, is when you have battled your way through hundreds of opponents, preferring melee to shooting, easily knocking out the biggest and meanest, you suddenly encounter a guy, seemingly like any other guy, you engage him in melee combat, and no matter what you do, no matter from which direction you try to hit him, no matter how much you hammer that square button, you will not throw a single punch, as he will, without fail, deliver a kick to your nuts. Why? Because Naughty Dog decided part of the puzzle had to be that this one, a clone of every other brute, you had to dispose of with explosives. That's cheating! As is when you are doing everything right in a fight, yet you will still lose, fall down a wall in a rather nicely animated cutscene, and get to shoot your opponent - but why create battles we can't win, even by doing everything right? As for the bugs - I won't delve too deeply into those, aside from mentioning one that annoyed me quite a bit: this is a game where hanging from a ledge feature quite heavily. Sometimes, hanging in the wrong spot of this ledge will make it impossible for Nate to climb up, he will instead just jump straight up, and catch the same ledge again. Not that problematic on a regular ledge, you just move to the side and try again - though when the ledge is being consumed by a sand pit, you sort of have to wonder, why is he jumping up and down instead of climbing off the ledge? In spite of all this, the game can be a worthwhile play: It isn't too long, it features some beautiful vistas, great acting and animation, some nice thrills and a bit of humour. Character interaction is, as before, pretty well done. Just be aware that the game isn't up to the standard established by the second iteration.
  21. Nov 19, 2011
    Overrated with poorer gunplay, QTE melee and terrible pacing. Want a cut scene? Sure have one then have a "push forward to walk" sequence, then a cut scene, then a long puzzle, then have another long cut scene. Platforming isn't great and the characters are virtually mutes outside the amazing looking cut scenes.As for puzzles, let's cram 3 together in the space of 30 minutes and call it aOverrated with poorer gunplay, QTE melee and terrible pacing. Want a cut scene? Sure have one then have a "push forward to walk" sequence, then a cut scene, then a long puzzle, then have another long cut scene. Platforming isn't great and the characters are virtually mutes outside the amazing looking cut scenes.As for puzzles, let's cram 3 together in the space of 30 minutes and call it a day. Multiplayer is merely adequate with poorer co-op. Oh yeah, play chapter 18 again when you finish. Then tell me again this game is worth 9 or 10, you won't be able to with a straight face. I'm sure the Sony marketing team will thumb me down. You are doing yourself a great injustice by believing that all of these 10s are actually legitimate. For the record - Uncharted 2 is my GOTY for 2009, now that is an amazing game. Collapse
  22. Nov 2, 2011
    While it is undeniable that this game looks good and has many nice little bits like the water, fire and sand effects. Also the adventuring is sound and fun. The story on the other hand, while well told is not my cup of tea, many times the game plays out like an interactive movie more than a game, a very beautiful movie, but a movie. Then there is the combat it just wasn't very fun theWhile it is undeniable that this game looks good and has many nice little bits like the water, fire and sand effects. Also the adventuring is sound and fun. The story on the other hand, while well told is not my cup of tea, many times the game plays out like an interactive movie more than a game, a very beautiful movie, but a movie. Then there is the combat it just wasn't very fun the endless supply of samey goons and boring shooting. So in conclusion not a bad game at all, in fact quite a good game (yes 7/10 is good, not awful) but not quite my cup of tea, so I'll watch movies for my deep stories and plot twists and keep playing games that are all about play for my personal tastes. :) Expand
  23. Nov 21, 2011
    I enjoyed this game but feel like nothing was groundbreaking or innovative at all. Its very similar to uncharted 2, the gameplay is ok, but it really tries to bank off of its cinematics. Which is why i would just watch a movie instead of trying to play a game that is trying to be a movie, call me old school but i like a challenging video GAME. And really an old lady as a villain thatI enjoyed this game but feel like nothing was groundbreaking or innovative at all. Its very similar to uncharted 2, the gameplay is ok, but it really tries to bank off of its cinematics. Which is why i would just watch a movie instead of trying to play a game that is trying to be a movie, call me old school but i like a challenging video GAME. And really an old lady as a villain that was just lame to me. Expand
  24. Dec 2, 2011
    Considering I was one of the many on Naughty Dog's Forum who complained of Drake's Loading Ring of Death, take my "6" as a darn good review. No, the game is not an instant classic, the plot is terribly derivative of previous titles (not to mention the third Indiana Jones movie), the platforming is still just linear "jump by pressing X while pointing with directional pad no skill/timingConsidering I was one of the many on Naughty Dog's Forum who complained of Drake's Loading Ring of Death, take my "6" as a darn good review. No, the game is not an instant classic, the plot is terribly derivative of previous titles (not to mention the third Indiana Jones movie), the platforming is still just linear "jump by pressing X while pointing with directional pad no skill/timing necessary," and the gun mechanics are wonky. Outside of that run-on sentence of ill will... well, the game is still fun. Granted, the fun parts are played for you, like watching a nifty 8-hour action movie that pauses if you don't hit "play" every time Drake is supposed to jump to the next pole waiting to break under his weight. I went ahead and played hard mode after trying normal for the hour it took Drake's Ring of Death to kick in (more on that later), because otherwise "Uncharted" starts to make my eyes glaze over in a haze of nondescript non-U.S. folk I'm massacring for dubious reasons. If I wanted that, I'd play COD or any other FPS from my screwed-up country. No, Uncharted masks its racism with that 90s Spielberg/Lucas sense of adventure. Except Drake doesn't even bother saying "IT BELONGS IN A MUSEUM." No, he's more honest about his sense of entitlement. He wants the money. Or something. It's not really clear whether Drake is after treasure this time because of money, revenge, heroism, or some unexplained drive for self-worth. "Unexplained" is really the right word, since none of this will be resolved by the hail of awesome explosions we see along the way. The game goes by painlessly, in a series of spectacular set pieces that really are a pleasure to play, no matter how many times I cursed the aiming and stealth system (Does he really need to be glued to that wall when I'm trying to sneak-kill the guy standing two inches away?). But, in all honesty, the set pieces in the more-racist predecessor were better, and yes I know that sentence was an awfully back-handed complement/insult. If you wan eight hours of meaningless fun you'll forget as soon as you put the controller down, turn the channel to UPN. Or play Uncharted 3, whatever. Oh, Drake's RIng of Death? Well, an alarming number of gamers reported a glitch where their games would not load after their first time exiting the game. "Uncharted" took over a week from purchase to load after my first try, during which time I had foolishly deleted my save in hopes of appeasing some data god. So I had to play the first six chapters again, like being forced to watch a protracted recap of the most straightforward Keanu Reeves movie imaginable. (Speed, Maybe?) Expand
  25. Nov 7, 2011
    -Terrible linearity, stuck with an uncreative platforming that does not give any choice to the user, poorly balanced/built multiplayer that give the impression that you are victim of the game mechanics. -Poor aiming system, in particular grenade with the arc showing its gonna be thrown in an open area but instead it hit the wall right next to you. -Graphics need some work, maybe their-Terrible linearity, stuck with an uncreative platforming that does not give any choice to the user, poorly balanced/built multiplayer that give the impression that you are victim of the game mechanics. -Poor aiming system, in particular grenade with the arc showing its gonna be thrown in an open area but instead it hit the wall right next to you. -Graphics need some work, maybe their facial animations are great, but there seem to lack detail on a lot of stuff on screen. Their engine is starting to date now, in use since the first game, just slightly tweaked. -Poorly implemented co-op, why cant you play the main game with a friend when 95% of the time you are with another npc? -In the age of open world game, this game is starting to get old in the term of mechanic. To conclude, story was like a movie, yes, but do you really want to pay 60$ for something that you could see at theater or rent Indiana Jones for less than 10$? No you dont. If you are a fan of the series, rent it if not pass on that. Expand
  26. Nov 7, 2011
    Familiarity can be a good thing. It can also be a terrible thing. Games like Assassin's Creed have had some success. Batman is having tremendous success. It's just familiar enough and yet innovative so that you feel like the experience has something new to offer.

The problem with UC3 is this. I am rushing through the game play in order to see what story unfolds. It is WAY to linear of a game....heck even Alan Wake had some paths you could roam off of once in a while. A great deal of this game is extremely familiar, and in this case it hurts UC3. There are just too many other choices out there that sadly outshine this game. Sorry Naughty.
  27. Nov 14, 2011
    I was really hoping Uncharted 3 would be another amazing game in the series. Certainly Naughty Dog didn't disappoint with their fit and polish here, but the story, OMG the story sucked. It was written as an afterthought here. Nothing was resolved and the ending was anticlimactic. Zzzz.... Here's hoping Uncharted 4 does better with the story.
  28. Nov 7, 2011
    Story - Hurriedly made, linear, poor probability, weak link from scene to scene, cheesy too
    Graphics - Best possible quality you can find among contemporary titles. Water, fire, desert expressions are stunning
    Game-play - No improvement.
  29. Nov 7, 2011
    Everyone knows what is good about the game so I'm not going to bother listing them. But I have plenty of problems with it.

Find a piece of treasure, bad guys miraculously find you as you exit the treasure cave. Then you fight several normal guys, then one big guy in hand to hand. Completely generic and really annoying by the 4th time it happened. I expected much more from the story

Completely generic and really annoying by the 4th time it happened. I expected much more from the story aspect of the game and it just did not deliver. I wish they tried harder to give some depth and original dialogue.

The only non cliché line was Drake calling the pirates cliché The Naught Dog team needs some writers, and they need to try mixing up the combat sequences because to me they were terrible.

The next thing is the game had so many holes in the plot along with the mysterious notebook that solves all puzzles by the third game it has really gotten on my nerves.
  30. Nov 5, 2011
    Let me be so blunt and saying for those you scored this a perfect 10 need to rewrite there review or complete the game before writing there review. Don't get me wrong this is a beautiful game inspired by the last 2 games in the series. Good graphics, nice sounds, sub par game play, and intriguing storyline. With the game play being sub par its hard for me to give it a perfect 10 while theLet me be so blunt and saying for those you scored this a perfect 10 need to rewrite there review or complete the game before writing there review. Don't get me wrong this is a beautiful game inspired by the last 2 games in the series. Good graphics, nice sounds, sub par game play, and intriguing storyline. With the game play being sub par its hard for me to give it a perfect 10 while the cover system and shooting mechanics still haven't been fixed. Graphics still look like the first game and not to mention the length of this game is way to short for a modern day video game that costs over $60 to purchase. What Naughty Dog did well is tell a compelling story. Also note there characters are one of the better elements of the franchise. Following there characters throughout the franchise and seeing where each relationship goes is interesting. Here's my bottom line scores: Graphics 4/5, sound 4/5, game play 3/5, fun factor 3/5, replay value 3/5. Expand
  31. Nov 19, 2011

1. Playstation Official Magazine Australia
    Mar 6, 2012
    The characterisations by the actors is second to none and even though this tall-tale takes you to fantastical places and events, the script is never once unbelievable. You never feel like an outsider. If anything, you'll feel right at home, ensconced in the constant drama of this loveable cast of returning reprobates and reprehensible villains. [Dec 2011, p60]
  2. Feb 5, 2012
    It's more than just the best entry in an outstanding series though - it epitomises the very reason many of us play video games. And that's its greatest achievement.
  3. LEVEL (Czech Republic)
    Jan 20, 2012
    Only a few camera troubles stopped us from giving Drake's Deception the highest rating. Uncharted 3 is without doubt the best PS3 exclusive game of this year. [Dec 2011]